PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao vs Marquez

yungha
05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
there's been no formal announcement yet, but with GBP failing to match top rank's offer to jmm, this fight is almost a done deal.

i don't think anyone would mind even if this fight lasts just 30 seconds with manny scoring a brutal 1st round KO.

Kid Cubao
05-19-2011, 06:45 AM
latest is that juanma has officially joined bob arum's top rank stable and signed the contract to fight manny pacquiao november 12, 2011. it's now up to manny and his advisers to agree on the terms and conditions of the said contract, which i think he won't be able to do at this time because of the ongoing plenary debates for the RH bill. payo lang kay manny: huwag kang magpapagamit sa usaping yan.

BigBlue
06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
ni hindi pa nga nagsisimula ang training camps nina Pacquiao at Marquez, may ganitong balita na umiikot:

'World's richest man offers Pacquiao $65M to fight Mexican' (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/06/06/11/worlds-richest-man-offers-pacquiao-65m-fight-mexican)

abs-cbnNEWS.com
Posted at 06/06/2011 2:34 PM | Updated as of 06/06/2011 3:14 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The world's richest person has reportedly offered Filipino boxing champion Manny 'Pacman' Pacquiao a whopping US$65 million to fight an undefeated Mexican boxer.

Boxingscene.com reports that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim has offered a guaranteed $65 million purse to Pacquiao for a fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

Slim is allegedly negotiating now with Pacquiao’s team, including Ilocos Sur Governor Luis “Chavit” Singson.

Top Rank boss Bob Arum said that he will immediately contact Singson about the story.

“I saw the story and I don’t take it as gospel,” said Pacquiao’s promoter. “But Slim is one of the richest people in the world and Chavit, who I know so well, is a very serious guy.”

He added that he will call Singson on Monday.

According to Forbes.com, Slim made his fortune in telecommunications. He is said to be worth around $60 billion.

Pacquiao’s proposed opponent, Alvarez, is only 20 years old but carries a 36-0-1 win-loss-draw record.

Alvarez is being promoted by Golden Boy, which can cause some problems as Pacquiao is being promoted by Top Rank.

“Manny has the key third fight against Juan Manuel Marquez... and then we can discuss 2012,” said Arum. “I don’t know when Manny will want to fight next year.”

Arum said that Pacquiao may stick to a May and November schedule for his bouts, but it was ultimately up to the Filipino fighting congressman.

Arum earlier said that Floyd Mayweather Jr. had turned down a $65-milion offer to fight Pacquiao.

For real?? and of all people, Chavit??

yungha
06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
might be an entertaining fight as this kid might be naive and stupid enough to trade with manny. but he'll be a broken fighter so early in his fighter if this fight pushes thru. i mean this guy couldn't even KO matthew hatton, otherwise known as the lesser hatton brother.

reforms
11-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Pak-pak-BOOM!!! na sa Sunday!

Anong round kaya patutulugin ni Pacman si Marquez?

Pustahan! ;D

mighty_lion
11-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Anyone who has a link where I can watch the 24/7 series? Thanks.

lekiboy
11-11-2011, 08:39 AM
^ youtube tol...dami- dun ko din napanood 3 episodes

reforms
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Kahapon napanood ko back-to-back episodes ng 24/7 sa Solar Sports.

Lumapad talaga si Marquez.

Pero sabi nga ni Pacman- it's good, he's a bigger target now. :D

yungha
11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
jmm will trade and first 2-3 rounds will be hagler-hearns. jmm will get knocked down once in the early rounds and once more in the middle rounds. contrary to pre-fight comments, manny shows mercy and carries jmm in rounds 11 and 12. he'll be a wreck by fight end but proud jmm will finish the fight on his feet.

118-108, 118-108, 116-110 for manny.

yungha
11-11-2011, 12:09 PM
for a change, arum's putting up a pretty decent undercard. breidis "khanqueror" prescott goes up against mike alvarado while tim bradley battles joel casamayor. granted this is an over-the-hill, watered-down version of the durable casamayor but it still beats watching julio cesar chavez jr or yuri foreman.

genom222
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
kay marquez ako.... para may kakampi naman hehe ;D

fujima04
11-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Hindi ka nag-iisa. Kasama mo si Pareng Dark Knight. :D

Jaco D
11-12-2011, 06:10 AM
If the two fights these guys have gone through are any indication of what to expect in their third encounter, there couldn't be a better time to have that fight than now: I think a lot of people still have a bitter taste in the mouth after that farce of a fight which Gayweather did a few months back.

bchoter
11-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Hindi ka nag-iisa. Kasama mo si Pareng Dark Knight. :D
hehehe :D

Piso mo tatama ng 1.67 for Marquez... not. Piso mo tatama ng wala :D

Dark Knight
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Marquez. Marquez. Marquez.

This fight will make Manny realize that he's human after all. ;D

@Fujima....wanna bet. Joke.

reforms
11-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Iniinterview si Pacman ni Piers Morgan sa CNN ngayon...

Napapalaban si Manny... ng Inglisan...

reforms
11-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Disappointing performance for Pacman.

I'm all for Pacquiao, but from what I saw in the fight, Marquez clearly won.

Napag-aralan ni Marquez yung mga bitaw ni Pacman- yuko sya ng yuko pag sinimulan na ni Pacman ang 1-2 punch.

Di naman maka-upper cut si Manny. Di rin makapasok sa counter-punching ni Marquez.

Mukhang naasikaso ni Arum to, set-up for the Gayweather fight.

maroonmartian
11-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Not really a fan pero please GMA huwag niyo na patagalin. Watched it live-stream online. Ganda ng HBO may stat punched. According to their graphics, Pacquiao outpunched Marquez. But yes the game was really close.

Basta mas OK kaysa yung isa. Pero kabado ako for Mayweather/Pacquiao match.

The_Big_Cat
11-13-2011, 02:43 PM
How did Manny Pacquiao come up with the win against Marquez earlier? I had Marquez winning by 2 rounds.

reforms
11-13-2011, 03:30 PM
^I think they are really setting up the Manny-Money fight.

Lahat naman yata alam na si Marquez talaga nananlo kanina. Even Pacman waslooking down after the fight (opposite of Marquez, who was raising his fist). Alam nilang 2 kung sino nanalo.

Sa sobrang surpresa namin, napa-walk out na kami ng ka-opisina ko.

Asar-talo na naman si Pacman nyan kay Marquez. Sunod nyang dalaw dito, naka "I beat Pacquiao Thrice" na sya.

fujima04
11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Marquez. Marquez. Marquez.

This fight will make Manny realize that he's human after all. ;D

@Fujima....wanna bet. Joke.

Congratulations parekoy. I also thought, for the first time in 3 fights, Marquez was robbed of the victory.

I tend to agree tuloy na this is indeed a ploy to set Pacman-Mayweather fight.

Kung si Marquez ang diniclare na panalo - we can all kiss our wish of seeing Pacman-Mayweather fight goodbye.

LION
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Everyone's saying Marquez won. But ESPN and Yahoo only say they are tied. But the compu box says pacman landed more punches and unleashed more power punches.

genom222
11-13-2011, 10:12 PM
MARQUEZ knows ;D

gameFaceAdmin
11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I had Pacquiao winning in my personal scorecard 115-113. He was the more aggressive fighter although Marquez landed the crispier punches.

genom222
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM
well another thing I dont really agree about the fight (aside from the outcome) was the type of decision given. Majority decision? And did you see the scorecard of one of the judges? 116 to 112. It should have been a spit decision at least.

easter
11-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Pacman won this fight and in fact it was a more convincing one than their second fight.

Watching this fight live will be very difficult for Filipinos because it turns one into a nervous wreck. It is like watching your school play and you question eveyr foul called but once you watch the replay, you see that most of the fouls were actually the right call. Pinoys are not used anymore in seeing Pacman getting hit. But Marquez landing 2 to 3 solid punches in some rounds doesn't make him win the round or the fight!

I watched this again at Ch. 7 and tried to watch this fight without emotion and again no more fear of the result. I want to see if Marquez really won and vowed to score it fairly. I had Pacquao winning 7 rounds to 3 with 2 rounds I scored as a draw. So I my scorecard will agree with the 116-112 judge. But lets say, the tied rounds were for Marquez, Pacman still won.

The reason why this fight was so close was in my opinion, Pacman fought the wrong way. It was a slow fight with not much punches. If a fight goes that way, bilangan na ng suntok ang pag judge sa round. Unlike if Pacman keeps pressing the ambiance of the fight of Pacman as the aggressor is the way to score the fight. This is how it was done against Cotto and Margarito. Pinaharapan ni Pacman ang sarili niya with this fight. Now I am no expert so I will give Pacquiao's strategists the benefit of the doubt, this might be the only way for them to beat Marquez in any weight class. Maybe it is time na aminin ng Pinoy at ni Pacman na kontra pelo talaga si Marquez and he is the one guy in Pacman's career who will always give him a tough fight.

Now as to Marquez this fight was a big moral victory. A validation he is indeed among the greats and maybe better than Morales and Barrera. He may have to be the best technical boxer out there along with Floyd. But to say he won all his fights against Manny is going to far. His style is enough to make a fight with Manny close but it was not (and maybe will never) enough to win.

A 4th fight will not be of benefit to Manny or to Filipinos. We won this fight 3 times although close still we got the victory once you throw away all the emotions.

reforms
11-14-2011, 08:03 AM
^Yeah, most likely we are not really used to seeing Pacman fight like this- no knockdowns, no TKO's, few combinations.

Sabi ng ibang analysts- Pac is going down. Wag naman sana.

Kontrapelo talaga nya si JMM.

Pacman pa rin tayo syempre.

maroonmartian
11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=pacquiao-marquez-trilogy-compubox

Boxing stats from the fight.Not really a boxing fan. Ayoko lang kasi ng mga thrashtalker na boksingero (Mayweather, Marquez).

easter
11-14-2011, 09:12 AM
^ The fight became of an amateurish ambiance once Pacquiao decided to counter as well. Kaya ayan nadala ang scoring sa pramihan ng suntok. But even taking in the full atmosphere of the fight and the compubox stats just cited, Pacquiao really won the fight. The subjective and the statistical evidences all point to that argument.

What would be sad for Marquez was that it was his pace, and he performed well but in the end he still lost the fight.

yungha
11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
we've been so spoiled by manny that we feel we've lost when it's not a one-sided beatdown or spectacular KO. but close decisions like this are part of boxing and that's just what they are - close decisions. nothing controversial about it.

watch the replay and pac's victory becomes clearer. if the judges scored the fight based on the replay i bet the decision would've been unanimous and wider in favor of pac.

after the fight i felt it was a draw. after watching the replay i scored it 115-113 to pac. gave rounds 2 3 4 7 8 11 and 12 to manny. gave rounds 1 and 5 to jmm but all 3 judges gave those rounds to manny.

as for jmm's claims that he won, kapal ng mukha niya. doesn't he find it strange that not one single judge thought he won? if you're the challenger, you have to do more than the champion in order to win? ikaw yung challenger and you expect to counterpunch your way to the title?

genom222
11-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I will try to watch the fight again and see if my initial impression changes. I still think JMM landed the more solid punches even though he landed fewer than Pacman. And the other thing that really stood out for me was that it seemed like Marquez was in control the whole fight and he prevented Manny from doing his usual stuff. That for me should been another indication that JMM won.

I just dont buy the notion of some people (not here in gameface) that if you're the challenger, you should be the aggressor and knock the champion out to get his title. Wag na lang gumamit ng judge kung ganun.

Kid Cubao
11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
the post-game faces tell the story. JMM's face looks like it's been stung by a swarm of bees.

I just dont buy the notion of some people (not here in gameface) that if you're the challenger, you should be the aggressor and knock the champion out to get his title. Wag na lang gumamit ng judge kung ganun.

welcome to the world of professional boxing. look no further than our own manny pacquiao--he won practically all his titles by knockout or stoppage. the one recent title fight he won for the WBA light-middleweight belt against antonio margarito should have been stopped as early as the 9th.

easter
11-14-2011, 03:16 PM

It is indeed a reality in pro boxing. But even taking that factor out Pacman still won the fight. Again unlike the first two fights when Pacman was the obvious aggressor, in this fight both were playing as counter punchers making the fight slower than the first two. Punches landing are few and far between and when this happens mukha na talagang amateur and one starts counting punches. So even if Marquez lands one to two solid blows it doesn't matter. As if naman Pacman was just standing in there, he was also throwing bombs. And the best evidence are the faces of both fighters plus the Compubox stats.

yungha
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
^ correct. take that factor out and manny still wins. story goes that nacho told marquez to take it easy in the final 2 rounds because he was way ahead. manny won both rounds on the scorecards.

anyway, post fight interviews point to arum, roach and manny being ok with a 4th fight. strangely it seems it's marquez who's reluctant to fight one more time. game! ordinary fans would say yesterday's fight was boring but i enjoyed the technical, chess game aspect of the fight. i'd love to see them go at it one more time.

easter
11-14-2011, 04:37 PM
ordinary fans would say yesterday's fight was boring but i enjoyed the technical, chess game aspect of the fight. i'd love to see them go at it one more time.

I was wondering too how technically inclined fans received that fight. I said to myself they must be in dreamland yesterday. If one is a fan and is technically inclined this might have been the best Christmas gift ever. Imagine a chess match and the fight was not as if there were no explosive fireworks it was just that it was lacking from the usual Pacquiao fight.

A high school classmate of mine also mentioned to me that Manny won that fight and sinisi niya si Nacho for Dinamita's loss. Maybe he was thinking of the same thing as yungha. Marquez indeed slowed down in rounds 10, 11 and 12. In round 10, he was actually winning the round until the final minute came when he let the Pacman came back.

I am now beginning to realize why technical fans like yungha love this fight. So yungha would you say that Manny winning a technical fight like the one yesterday will actually add more luster to his storied career once a proper historical perspective is made in the future?

yungha
11-14-2011, 08:35 PM
^ i'm just a fight fan, nothing more. boxing's a brutal sport but it's also beautiful which is why it's called the sweet science. siyempre masarap pa rin manood ng knockout but watching two skilled boxers go at it, trying to dissect each other, find the other's weakness, is also gratifying.

history isn't kind to losers. twenty years from now they'll forget that marquez could have won 2 of the 3 fights. they'll just refer to the records and see that pacquiao won 2 out of the 3 fights. there's plenty of criticism vs manny now because we live in his age and we see his faults and frailties. but in 20 years when it's become clear that no one will even come close to what he's done, the magnitude of his accomplished will be better appreciated. the debate on whether he's the GOAT will resonate.

he's slowing down though, clearly. he's 32 but he's an old 32. he's 32 and has fought 59 fights. that's a lot of wear and tear. floyd's 34 and fought 42 times. oscar fought 45 times and retired at 35. mosley's 40 and fought 55 times. of course, pacquiao's an athletic marvel but the wear and tear from his ring battles plus his lifestyle probably doesn't give him the same explosive results anymore. we have to get ready for it, we may see pacquiao lose soon.

mighty_lion
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
he's slowing down though, clearly. he's 32 but he's an old 32. he's 32 and has fought 59 fights. that's a lot of wear and tear. floyd's 34 and fought 42 times. oscar fought 45 times and retired at 35. mosley's 40 and fought 55 times. of course, pacquiao's an athletic marvel but the wear and tear from his ring battles plus his lifestyle probably doesn't give him the same explosive results anymore. we have to get ready for it, we may see pacquiao lose soon.

This was my impression too. Parang missing yun explosiveness in Pac sa Laban. But it may also be a function of the defense Marquez used in the fight. There were some instances you can read the frustration from Pac's body language.

Another angle floating in Facebook is how Marquez steps at Pac's right foot and then throw a good blow from there.

genom222
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
This one? I think it happens a lot in all boxing matches...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310284_10150474104495041_703130040_11040548_483462 857_n.jpg

MonL
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
^ Si Pacman vs Apak-Man :P

Kid Cubao
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
that's one of the oldest tactics in boxing when fighting a southpaw: putting your lead foot against the opponent's lead foot (the right) to cut his angles. JMM did one better--stepping on pacquaio's lead foot, which i think is bush league.

bchoter
11-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Magkaiba ba tayo ng pinanood? Kasi sabi Marquez "clearly" won the fight. Yes, Marquez clearly won the rounds that were given him. But there were more rounds with no clear winner. Unfortunately, for JMM, these were awarded by the judges to Pacquiao. Hindi naman natin hinuhusgahan ang buong laban. round-per-round and scoring. In my personal scorecard I had JMM winning by a point but I didn't even factor in the fight's "aggresor".

Hindi ko pa rin ma gets kung bakit sinasabing Marquez "clearly" won the fight.

Kid Cubao
11-16-2011, 08:55 AM
tama, there were a certain number of rounds that could have gone either way. and my immediate verdict right after the fight is that JMM may have sealed the deal. MAY HAVE, were it not for the superior work rate by pacquiao from the 10th round onward. upon hindsght, that's about the same time marquez trainer nacho beristain advised his ward to ease up because he was already way ahead in points and that pacquiao is most dangerous in the endgame. hahaha, su consejo es malo ;D ;D ;D

yungha
11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
that's one of the oldest tactics in boxing when fighting a southpaw: putting your lead foot against the opponent's lead foot (the right) to cut his angles. JMM did one better--stepping on pacquaio's lead foot, which i think is bush league.

it's a non-issue. it would be an advantage if jmm were fighting a young dumb fighter like victor ortiz. but pac and jmm are veterans, parehong may gulang na yan and both know how to handle gulang moves. pac himself throws hard elbows after some of his punches.

Magkaiba ba tayo ng pinanood? Kasi sabi Marquez "clearly" won the fight. Yes, Marquez clearly won the rounds that were given him. But there were more rounds with no clear winner. Unfortunately, for JMM, these were awarded by the judges to Pacquiao. Hindi naman natin hinuhusgahan ang buong laban. round-per-round and scoring. In my personal scorecard I had JMM winning by a point but I didn't even factor in the fight's "aggresor".

Hindi ko pa rin ma gets kung bakit sinasabing Marquez "clearly" won the fight.

had it a draw after the live fight. watching the replay, had pac 116-112. immediately after the fight, a lot of observers actually howled that jmm won but after watching the replay, acknowledged that it was a correct decision. anyway, i would have been ok with a pac win, jmm win, or a draw. it was that close. any decision would have been ok. let's leave it at that. ang nakakaasar yung mga pinoy mismo na nagsasabing nagkadayaan daw (hello karen davila). crab mentality nga naman. we're so used to cheating so that if a pinoy won, he must have cheated.

blue scorpion
12-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Pacquiao vs Marquez III: Robbery of the year.

yungha
12-26-2011, 05:53 PM
That's what I don't get. They say it's a robbery but then say it should have gone 115-113 or 116-112 Marquez. With scores like that the decision could really go either way. A close decision for jmm, close decision for pac or a draw would've been acceptable. But to call it a robbery is absurd. Plain and simple, it was a close decision that went pac's way which is unfortunate for the Mexicans that flooded the The Ring website and voted in the poll.

I watched the other fights in the poll (Paul williams-erislandy-lara, alexander-mathysse, sturm-macklin) and those decisions were outright robberies. It just so happened that pac-jmm was the highest-profile fight of them all.