PDA

View Full Version : Hoops Scoops (The Ironcoach's Saga)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

ironcoach
08-31-2012, 06:15 AM
coach, I heard one of your former UE players Raffy Reyes has been signed to a contract by Alaska. what do you think about him adjusting to the point guard position in the PBA and what are some other aspects he can bring in to the pro game.

Grabe ang athleticism at ang depensa ng batang yan. And in the D-Leagues last couple of conferences, nag-improve din yung offense
niya. I believed all along that he'd be a sleeper in this draft lalo na sa point guard position.
Kung kina Dehesa, Lester Alvarez or Emman Monfort lang, basta panlarong PBA...kay Raphy na ako.

ironcoach
09-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Well folks, today is, indeed the day. Or should I say, "today is my day". Time to get hitched!

bchoter
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Grabe ang athleticism at ang depensa ng batang yanIto ang pinaka understated sa laro ni Reyes. He's the type of defender who doesn't have to be pesky to be effective. Kayang kaya nya to stay in front of the defender while bothering his dribble. Ang ang pang Quiapo ang mga kamay sa pag sundot at pag intercept without taking unnecesary risks

Ahura Mazda
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Well folks, today is, indeed the day. Or should I say, "today is my day". Time to get hitched!
Nice! Congrats, coach! :)

By the way, coach, kelan po ang tryouts for Boracay Rhum? Alam niyo din ba ang tryout schedules ng ibang D-League teams?

ghost09
09-06-2012, 03:02 PM

Congrats coach! :)

Hooplover
09-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Congratulations Bossing!!!!!

ironcoach
09-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Nice! Congrats, coach! :)

By the way, coach, kelan po ang tryouts for Boracay Rhum? Alam niyo din ba ang tryout schedules ng ibang D-League teams?

We've had 4 tryouts na the past few weeks pero we'll resume tryouts/practice on Monday Sept.10. No idea sa skeds & diskarte ng ibang mga teams. Sorry.

ironcoach
09-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Congrats coach! :)

Thank you. Hope maging smooth ang relationship namin ng "brand new wife ko". I never thought i'd get married pa. Yun pala, "hli man at magaling...naiha-habol din" pala. :)

LION
09-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Congratulations, coach! Best wishes to you and your brand new wife. :)

zoom2k7
09-07-2012, 03:19 AM
congratulations coach!best wishes!

yungha
09-07-2012, 09:49 AM
congrats coach and best wishes!

ironcoach
09-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! To all the well-wishers here, my heartfelt gratitude. Domo Arigato!

bchoter
09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
siya na nga!

corgrats coach. pa canton ka naman ;)

red_engr1987
09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
wish you all the best ironcoach :)

congrats & God Bless

jembengzon
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
good job coach !

ironcoach
09-08-2012, 12:36 AM
As the title i used will suggest, i am summing this up as a Leap of Faith. I woke up today thinking to myself, "what have i done?!!!"

But time will tell. And i surely hope & pray that this time, and until the day that i shall leave this world, that love will prevail...always prevail.

LION
09-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes coach. Only time will tell, but maybe, it’s about time already. Time to settle down. :)

ironcoach
09-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Yes coach. Only time will tell, but maybe, it’s about time already. Time to settle down. :)

Yun rin nga naisip ko. Cudve been now or never. It wasn't that easy to "take the plunge" though. For years, my being a single dad & "1 of d world's" most eligible bachelor with a high profile job were very much a part of the "Chongson Mystique".

Pero as i've said, love prevailed. All along i thought im Bond...James Bond. Pero yun pala in my heart...and after a while, may pagka- Jack Dawson din pala ako. :)

There are moments that i still can't believe what i've done. There are split seconds na parang nagsi-sisi ako. Pero kung napa-
pakiramdaman ko na ang heart ko, im happy.

Galing! Ang galing!!

ironcoach
09-10-2012, 08:14 AM
So far so good. Day 4 of married life & everything is so surreal. Its kinda fun though. Brought wifey to the MOA yesterday to catch a taste of UAAP basketball & thank God...she didn't fall asleep...like i did. :)

Sam Miguel
09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
^^^ The new missus is a basketball fan?

ironcoach
09-11-2012, 03:44 PM
^^^ The new missus is a basketball fan?

Nah!! She's just a fan of mine. :)

LION
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
The ironcoach’s saga is good enough to be made into a movie. Kumpletos rekados. May love story din. :)

ironcoach
09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
The ironcoach’s saga is good enough to be made into a movie. Kumpletos rekados. May love story din. :)

O diba?!! Saan ka pa?!! Unlike most basketball or sports thread, dito may puso at kilig factor. :)

Sulit sa mga suki ko rito. Eto yung bini-bida kong PASSION. To have it...you've gotta have heart.

ironcoach
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey! Did you guys notice na-medyo nila-langaw ang UAAP & NCAA this season?
I've watched a few of them & masyadong glaring ang mga empty seats. Even nung 1st
Round ng DLSU-ADMU tussle, from where im positioned, i could see empty seats.
Mas lalo na siguro sa NC.

What could be the reason? Economic crunch? Other interests? Smarter audience that could
sense or spot a low-quality game when thet see one? Inaccessibity ng MOA Arena at ng SJ Arena?
Too much basketball, maybe??

What do you guys think?

jembengzon
09-13-2012, 10:01 AM
venue yan coach, at ticket distribution ng host school. pagka admu-dlsu sa araneta, puno yan dapat, yan ang kita ng uaap. cubao kasi, central hub yan ng metro manila.

bchoter
09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Pasensya na coach I can't comment on it. So far UST always has good sized crowd even on weekdays. Siguro carry over ng excitement over Abdul's season 74.

Pero may na notice ako with NU. Nag step up na sila in terms of financial support and they've had their share of wins pero wala pa ring crowd support. School pride kaya ang kulang?

car_kotse
09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Coach, in one of the games you watched at Araneta. I shook your hand and I commented na you look slim and young. You were just just passing where I was seated at maingay, I guess di mo yata narinig. But now I know the answer why. In love pala..hehehe at bagong kasal pala. Congrats and good luck Sir!!

I am quite impressed with the moves of this guy Belleza, I read somewhere na kayo daw nag recruit dito? Any thoughts on this player?

Joescoundrel
09-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Hey! Did you guys notice na-medyo nila-langaw ang UAAP & NCAA this season?
I've watched a few of them & masyadong glaring ang mga empty seats. Even nung 1st
Round ng DLSU-ADMU tussle, from where im positioned, i could see empty seats.
Mas lalo na siguro sa NC.

What could be the reason? Economic crunch? Other interests? Smarter audience that could
sense or spot a low-quality game when thet see one? Inaccessibity ng MOA Arena at ng SJ Arena?
Too much basketball, maybe??

What do you guys think?

SMOA Arean is singlehandedly killing UAAP gate attendance, Coach. Kahit sa press nakikita na barely at 10% capacity ang SMOA Arena lalo kapag weekday game. Admittedly we just eyeball it, and we don't always get a gate attendance figure for every game. It must be noted however that both the Round 1 Ateneo-Lasalle game (at SMOA Arena) and the Round 2 at Big Dome had less than 18,000 paying fans if I recall right.

Round 1 is easy enough to guess, the shit-eating far and hard to reach venue, a traffic nightmare for motorists as well. I was there and it took us easily an hour to get from the SMOA grounds to the Harbour Square side.

Round 2 is easy too, since obviously the fair weather fans on either side simply didn't show up anymore thinking this game would not be as exciting as those of past years. Lasalle made a game of it, although Ryan Buenafe had an answer for everything.

Sa kaso naman ng NCAA it has been notoriously poor in gate attendance except for marquee matches like Beda-Baste and Beda-Letran. San Beda's dominance has made this league simply too boring. It has been like this since about the last year that Sam Ekwe played for the Red Lions and San Beda started carving out its current dynasty.

Thank God for Aric Del Rosario resuscitating a dying Perpetual Help program, and the odd upset like Mapua over Baste and Lyceum over JRU yesterday. Still, if anyone other than Beda and Baste get into the NCAA Finals, sure langaw nga.

Joescoundrel
09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Coach what is your take on the issue of the UAAP Board overturning the decision of Comm Badolato and ordering a re-play of the FEU-NU second round game? This would be the game where RR Garcia's last-second layup came into question.

Joescoundrel
09-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Coach, if you were to assemble the Best 5 of UAAP Season 75 and the Best 5 of NCAA Season 88, who would be your picks and why?

For me I would take Roi Sumang of UE, Ray Parks of NU, Aljon Mariano of UST, Anthony Hargrove of FEU and Karim Abdul of UST for the UAAP.

From the NCAA I would have Ian Sangalang of San Sebastian, Jake Pascual of San Beda, Calvin Abueva of San Sebastian, Ronald Pascual of San Sebastian and Josan Nimes of Mapua.

It will be a full court game, with two 10-minute halves. Two-man officiating. No timeouts, no coaches. Five personal fouls per player. Except for these game rules, full FIBA rules apply.

ironcoach
09-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Pasensya na coach I can't comment on it. So far UST always has good sized crowd even on weekdays. Siguro carry over ng excitement over Abdul's season 74.

Pero may na notice ako with NU. Nag step up na sila in terms of financial support and they've had their share of wins pero wala pa ring crowd support. School pride kaya ang kulang?

Napansin ko rin yan when i was seated sa Skybox ng MOA nung DLSU-NU game. Halos wrap-around ng venue eh naka-green while about 15-25 seats lang behind the NU bench ang mga naka-dark blue (i assume mga suppliers or contractors pa ang mga yan ng SM na obligadong magpa-pogi sa mga bossing).

Ang pumasok sa isipan ko, maybe hindi rin kasi ganun karami ang grumadweyt sa NU in recent years kaya siguro halos wala silang mga alumni. :)

ironcoach
09-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Coach, in one of the games you watched at Araneta. I shook your hand and I commented na you look slim and young. You were just just passing where I was seated at maingay, I guess di mo yata narinig. But now I know the answer why. In love pala..hehehe at bagong kasal pala. Congrats and good luck Sir!!

I am quite impressed with the moves of this guy Belleza, I read somewhere na kayo daw nag recruit dito? Any thoughts on this player?

To be absolutely honest about it, i lost weight (around 20lbs in 1 month) because of a broken-heart (over the same girl). But eversince we got back together, i gained 10lbs in just 3 weeks. But masarap talaga ang pumayat. In hindsight, parang naging blessing in disguise pa yung pagka-broken hearted ko. It was cheaper & faster losing all those weight than going
to a gym or working out. :)

About Belleza, im happy for him na he's getting noticed with his great showing in his past couple of games. But if you really want my honest personal take on his game, i'd say he's a flash in the pan. Pero i hope im wrong coz i would also want him to gain success as a basketball player. Na sana maging hanap-buhay niya rin yn in the near future.

ironcoach
09-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Coach what is your take on the issue of the UAAP Board overturning the decision of Comm Badolato and ordering a re-play of the FEU-NU second round game? This would be the game where RR Garcia's last-second layup came into question.

As much as i love, admire and respect coach Ato, this guy is just too nice (wouldn't hurt a fly) and isn't one who'd rock the boat. I don't agree na i-replay pa dapat yang game na yan. Dapat dun sa game palang, naging decisive na siya. Counted kung counted, overtime kung overtime. At panindigan na niya yon. Ganon dapat ang isang commissioner at hindi yung nagbubukas pa ng can of worms at maging hindi pa magandang precedent in the future.

Kung hindi rin lang pala conclusive sa slo-mo yung tira ni RR, dapat pinag-overtime nalang right there & then. Hindi yung ka-kambyo rin lang pala after may mag-protesta. While maybe the shot of RR didn't really count after further review, i believe that coach Ato lost his
chance na mai-build up pa lalo yung stature niya as a no-nonsense basketball commissioner.

ironcoach
09-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Well, it sure is looking like a 5-peat in the making for the Blue Eagles. What makes it more amazing is that its happening in the 21st century, when most of the competition has also gotten access to modern technologies, facilities, logistics and finances.

In my opinion, what separates Ateneo from the rest of the field is its system. While the rest of the field continues to rely on sheer players' talents, motivation, prayers, or Ateneo waking up on the wrong side of the bed, the Eagles have live and die with its discipline andcommitment to team play and defense. Coach Black and his staff has, through the years, raised the bar as far as running a college basketball program is concerned.

Money, money and more money(or sponsors)...it surely helps in wanting to form a competitive basketball team. But it (money) has tobe spent wisely. Some programs just don't have the funding while some do...pero hindi naman nagagamit sa wastong paraan. They should really take a page from how Ateneo run its State of Basketball Affair.

Shiznit
09-18-2012, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=ironcoach;504022]Well, it sure is looking like a 5-peat in the making for the Blue Eagles. What makes it more amazing is that its happening in the 21st century, when most of the competition has also gotten access to modern technologies, facilities, logistics and finances.

wag muna coach.. bilog ang bola. go tigers! =)

ironcoach
09-18-2012, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=ironcoach;504022]Well, it sure is looking like a 5-peat in the making for the Blue Eagles. What makes it more amazing is that its happening in the 21st century, when most of the competition has also gotten access to modern technologies, facilities, logistics and finances.

wag muna coach.. bilog ang bola. go tigers! =)

Malay mo inuusog ko lang. Jini-jinx?. :)

Ahura Mazda
09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Coach, may final lineup na kayo for D-League season 3?

ironcoach
09-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Coach, may final lineup na kayo for D-League season 3?

Wala pa eh. So far we've got Jhon Foronda, Ken Acibar, Raymund Ilagan, Stephen Siruma, Glenn Khobuntin & Fil-Am Jerry Santos. In the work are to acquire Paolo Taha, Mark Lopez, Roider Cabrera, Alvin Padilla, Biboy Enguio, Roi Sumang, Franz Dysam & Fil-Am Julius Armon. Kit Rosopa & Jeymo Eguilos are on stand-by.

We should have a clearer picture of how our roster will shape up by next week.

Ahura Mazda
09-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Paolo Taha ng Benilde? Nag-tryout ba sa inyo si Taha or handpick niyo?

Sam Miguel
09-19-2012, 11:39 AM
^ Coach, how tall and what position is Jerry Santos?

ironcoach
09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Paolo Taha ng Benilde? Nag-tryout ba sa inyo si Taha or handpick niyo?

He came to tryout...and i really liked what i saw.

ironcoach
09-19-2012, 10:35 PM
^ Coach, how tall and what position is Jerry Santos?

Jerry is around 6'1-6'1 1/2. He's a 2-guard but could play the point as well.

Ahura Mazda
09-19-2012, 11:46 PM
He came to tryout...and i really liked what i saw.
Wow, nice! Coach, pwede ba kayo nalang ang mag-coach sa Benilde? Hahaha!

Wala pa ba offers ang collegiate basketball teams sayo? :D

genom222
09-20-2012, 01:28 AM
how about Julius Armon coach? are you considering him even though he has history of suddenly bolting out at the last moment?

ironcoach
09-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Wow, nice! Coach, pwede ba kayo nalang ang mag-coach sa Benilde? Hahaha!

Wala pa ba offers ang collegiate basketball teams sayo? :D

Wala namang offers so far. Nah! Why would i wanna coach CSB?

ironcoach
09-20-2012, 02:50 AM
how about Julius Armon coach? are you considering him even though he has history of suddenly bolting out at the last moment?

Well, everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Besides, he might have had his own reason for doing whatever he did. Baka naman may valid reason. Anyway, he might not have met a coach like me. Basta ba OK ang work ethic at focus & disiplina ng isang player ko, i will also be there for him through and through.

genom222
09-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Thats good to know coach, i agree that everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I hope he develops and achieves his full potential under you. Does he have a good shot in having a career in the pba?

ironcoach
09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Thats good to know coach, i agree that everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I hope he develops and achieves his full potential under you. Does he have a good shot in having a career in the pba?

to be honest with you, i've never seen Julius in live action or in actual competition. Pero what i saw dun sa mga highlight reels niya on youtube had me thinking Ray-Ray Parks 2.0

besides, i'm only signing him up from October 1, 2012 till May 31st, 2013 coz i can sense that ang target niya is to join the 2013 PBA Draft. so kung palpak o topak man siya, 8 months lang ang pagdudusahan at pagsi-sisihan ko. :)

have you seen him in action during his Beda days?? what's ur assessment on him?

genom222
09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
^ Julius is a very active player coach, moves well defensively and use his long arms well. You will love him in an open court kasi he can finish. May tendency lang to overdribble which might disrupt your offense and I'm not a big fan of his jumpshot. Pero I'm sure you can coach him to lessen his tendency to overdribble and eventually buy into your offense. You might want to also ask Sir LION for more insights :)

ironcoach
09-21-2012, 12:47 AM
^ Julius is a very active player coach, moves well defensively and use his long arms well. You will love him in an open court kasi he can finish. May tendency lang to overdribble which might disrupt your offense and I'm not a big fan of his jumpshot. Pero I'm sure you can coach him to lessen his tendency to overdribble and eventually buy into your offense. You might want to also ask Sir LION for more insights :)

Well, i can only hope & pray that Julius pans out for us. He'll be coming on a steep price to us. But then again, if i couldn't squeeze the best out of this kid, who else would?? :)

ironcoach
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
What a game result reversal over a protest can do to muddle up a playoff picture. Nagkaroon ba ng advantage ang pagiging host this season o sadyang yun ang fair and square na decision?

The Philippine collegiate basketball scene...hindi na nawalan ng intriga at kontrobersiya. Galing! Ang galing! :)

ironcoach
09-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey fellas! For all that its worth...the Ironcoach just turned a day older today. Bottoms-up!!

jembengzon
09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
happy birthday coach ! have a good one !

LION
09-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey fellas! For all that its worth...the Ironcoach just turned a day older today. Bottoms-up!!

Cheers, ironcoach! Happy birthday!

MonL
09-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Live long and prosper, Coach!

Ahura Mazda
09-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Happy birthday, coach! God bless! I'm sure you're having a great one with your lovey dovey. Hahaha. Stay happy!

ironcoach
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM
happy birthday coach ! have a good one !

Thank you.

ironcoach
09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Cheers, ironcoach! Happy birthday!

Salamat, sir.

ironcoach
09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Live long and prosper, Coach!

I hope i do. Thank you very much.

ironcoach
09-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Happy birthday, coach! God bless! I'm sure you're having a great one with your lovey dovey. Hahaha. Stay happy!

Will do. Thank you so much sa greetings.

ironcoach
09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, it'll be a DLSU-FEU K.O. match tomorrow for the opportunity to lose to Ateneo this coming Sunday. More like a "live to fight for 4 more days" initiative for either team.

My gut-feel says it'll be La Salle prevailing to set-up a La Salle-Ateneo blockbuster dream game on Sunday. Tiyak patok sa takilya. Im sure the host wants it to happen so do the UAAP Board (except FEU) and ABS-CBN. :)

FEU, i thought, shot themselves on the foot already in that loss to NU last Sunday. Leading by 6 with a little more than 2 minutes left in the ballgame and they couldn't hold on. By the way, did anyone notice that RR Garcia wasn't on the floor on FEU's final possession in that game with the Tams down by 3? Did he foul out or got injured? Hmm...

Will we witness the Danding-factor in tomorrow's knockout game? Magkaroon kaya ng relevance yung "Petron logo" sa playing uniforms ng FEU dun sa magiging outcome ng game?? Abangan!

emenk
09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
belated happy birthday Coach!

katanungan lang Coach, pwde mo bang icompare yung basketball management style ni Danding at ni MVP?
kung papipiliin ka, sinong mas gusto mo maging boss sa kanila at bakit?

bchoter
09-25-2012, 03:58 PM
By the way, did anyone notice that RR Garcia wasn't on the floor on FEU's final possession in that game with the Tams down by 3? Did he foul out or got injured? Hmm...Bar... *cough* ro... *cough* ca *cough*

Will we witness the Danding-factor in tomorrow's knockout game? Magkaroon kaya ng relevance yung "Petron logo" sa playing uniforms ng FEU dun sa magiging outcome ng game?? Abangan!Hmmm

Ahura Mazda
09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
By the way, did anyone notice that RR Garcia wasn't on the floor on FEU's final possession in that game with the Tams down by 3? Did he foul out or got injured? Hmm...
Now that you mention it... I noticed that Terrence Romeo is FEU's main man for the most part of this season.

Will we witness the Danding-factor in tomorrow's knockout game? Magkaroon kaya ng relevance yung "Petron logo" sa playing uniforms ng FEU dun sa magiging outcome ng game?? Abangan!
Very interesting. Could it be an ECJ vs. RSA? Hahaha!

Joescoundrel
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Coach, second straight MVP award for Ray Parks.

Do you think the UAAP should bring back a players and/or media votes component in the selection of the MVP of the UAAP?

Technically kasi even if a player's team goes 0-14, pero that player averages say 50 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 blocks per game, may chance pa din siya maging MVP, kung sa stats lang ang usapan. Doesn't that make being "valuable" totally idiotic?

Para sa iyo ba, Coach, ano ba definition mo ng isang Most Valuable Player? Should there even be such a thing in a team sport?

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 12:22 AM
belated happy birthday Coach!

katanungan lang Coach, pwde mo bang icompare yung basketball management style ni Danding at ni MVP?

Im pretty sure na may kanya-kanyang management style or diskarte sina ECJ & MVP. Medyo "been there, done that" na ang
demeanor ni boss Danding while barely a decade or so palang maugong sa sports scene ang pangalan ni MVP.

If i were to choose "today" kung sino sa kanila ang pipiliin kong boss, maybe i'd prefer to work for MVP. He's a lot younger(today), more aggressive(today), dynamic(today), ambitious and hands-on. Besides, marami na masyadong mga "bright boys" na naka-palibot at naka-kalat(at nagkakalat) sa bakuran ng SMC basketball projects.

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Bar... *cough* ro... *cough* ca *cough*

Hmmm

Barroca?? As in "Babyface Andy"??? Are you insinuating something here?? Ayaw ni "Vice" ng ganyan. :)

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Coach, second straight MVP award for Ray Parks.

Do you think the UAAP should bring back a players and/or media votes component in the selection of the MVP of the UAAP?

Technically kasi even if a player's team goes 0-14, pero that player averages say 50 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 blocks per game, may chance pa din siya maging MVP, kung sa stats lang ang usapan. Doesn't that make being "valuable" totally idiotic?

Para sa iyo ba, Coach, ano ba definition mo ng isang Most Valuable Player? Should there even be such a thing in a team sport?

I didn't know that they had a players/media votes in the past. My personal belief is that last year palang hindi na tama na ibigay ang MVP sa isang player from a non-Final 4 team and this year naman, si Abdul yata ang dapat na MVP but perhaps they'd rather give the award to a Fil-Am than an import(there are still a lot of patriots in our midst).

So instead of 0 MVP for Parks, his name is now enshrined in UAAP annals as a 2-time(back to back at that) MVP.

Ok lang naman ang may MVP in a team sport pero kailangan clear-cut ang guidelines & definition ng pagpili nito para hindi naman ma-baboy. No doubt Ray-Ray is pound for pound the best collegiate player in the country pero hindi ba mas impressive ang pag-bitbit ni Abdul sa UST to claim the #2 spot sa standings after the elimination round?

bchoter
09-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Sore throat coach... berroca vitamins might just help :D

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Just wondering..in a season wherein NU is the host & most of the games were played at the SM MOA, King Bulldog Parks was named MVP eventhough many believed that UST's Abdul is equally deserving. Their pep squad grabbed 2nd runner-up in the cheerdance competition(for the 1st time ever?) over UST & DLSU(lol). Their protest on the game vs FEU was upheld(they would've been eliminated already if not for that ordered replay) and they are now officially in the Final 4 after eternally not making it that far.

Could it really be that its the "Year of the Bulldog"?? Oh...di nga!!!!

bchoter
09-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Coac, if the NU coaching job was up for grabs would you consider auditioning? What if it was offerred to you outright?

Hans Sy is new in the ballgame but it's been proven that he's willing to spend. He may not be hands on but he's always around. He may always be around but he gives his coach free reign. Looks like an ideal coaching job, so far.

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 01:17 AM

Mahirap talaga ma-markahan for misdeeds(rightly or wrongly accused for that matter). Kahit na lumipas pa ang napaka-tagal na panahon...there will always be people who don't ever forget.

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Coac, if the NU coaching job was up for grabs would you consider auditioning? What if it was offerred to you outright?

Hans Sy is new in the ballgame but it's been proven that he's willing to spend. He may not be hands on but he's always around. He may always be around but he gives his coach free reign. Looks like an ideal coaching job, so far.

Why not? Kung wala bang masasagasaang mga tao, if the price is right, and if boss Bong Tan gives me his blessing...raket din yan. :)

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 01:26 AM

Kapag nakagawa ka nga talaga ng misdeed(rightfully or wrongfully accused), there really are people out there who never forgets.

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Fearless forecast...DLSU over ADMU this Saturday. Abangan!

bchoter
09-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Kapag nakagawa ka nga talaga ng misdeed(rightfully or wrongfully accused), there really are people out there who never forgets.Pwedeng unfair pero some people had it coming :D

bchoter
09-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Fearless forecast...DLSU over ADMU this Saturday. Abangan!If this happens, maging scalper na rin ako lol! Sky is da langit ang ticket sigurado

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Pwedeng unfair pero some people had it coming :D

I couldn't agree more. But there are still living proofs out there kasi that oftentimes disprove the saying that "crime doesn't pay" kaya nae-emulate at ina-adulate pa nga. Maybe parang jueteng narin yan na lifetime ng sinasabing lalabanan o patitigilin but it had even outlived those that are opposed to it.

Just like in the NCAA where players'(and coach) disappearance or banishment from some teams' roster go unnoticed lang since nobody watches it anymore kaya hindi napapansin o hindi maugong. Did anyone even ask why?? Nope! Ganun-ganon nalang.

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 08:19 AM
If this happens, maging scalper na rin ako lol! Sky is da langit ang ticket sigurado

O di ba?? Yung line of thinking mo(kahit pabiro) eh hindi narin nalalayo kay Bar..cough! cough! ro..cough! cough! ca..haaatsing!!!! :)

Ganito Sila Noon...Eto Na Tayo Ngayon.

Joescoundrel
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Fearless forecast...DLSU over ADMU this Saturday. Abangan!

Totally biased counter-forecast: Ateneo by at least half a mile, Coach.:)

ironcoach
09-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Totally biased counter-forecast: Ateneo by at least half a mile, Coach.:)

With the latest drama over at Katipunan starring MVP, i wouldn't count on the "half a mile" scenario. Pwede ko pang matanggap yung "by a hairline" o "squeaker". Might be too much drama and too much distraction. Might.

ironcoach
09-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I was engaging my son in a little chitchat abt the state of the affairs in our collegiate basketball scene last night & he popped an observation that had me scratching my....

"Dad, in big games(like knockout games) involving a rich & poor school, the rich school somehow almost always prevail". "Sa mas mahihirap na teams lang (in recent years) kadalasan na merong star players na either napag-hihinalaan, napag-bibintangan o
outright na tinatanggal sa team kahit na in the middle of the tournament or even in the playoff phase.

Im sure na hindi na natin kailangan pang gawing "fill in the blanks" exam ang mga naging prominenteng mga pangalan dito in recentyears pero ang napansin at naalala nga ng anak ko, that more often than not, may school(s) na lagi nalang nasa short end o biktima ng ganyang mga sabi-sabi o bintang.

Joescoundrel
09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
^ Coach, sa tinagal ninyo sa basketball, are there any tell-tale signs that indicate na naglaglag nga ang isang player? It would be easy enough to dismiss a bad game by a great player as an off-night. Is there any way to tell if a great player is pulling his punches? I would think if a player was good enough to score 30 points in international play or against tougher and older PBL competition, it would indeed look suspicious if that same player suddenly couldn't throw the ball into the Pasig against UAAP competition.

At tama ka Coach, no need to fill in the blanks nga naman...:)

ironcoach
09-28-2012, 12:26 PM
^ Coach, sa tinagal ninyo sa basketball, are there any tell-tale signs that indicate na naglaglag nga ang isang player? It would be easy enough to dismiss a bad game by a great player as an off-night. Is there any way to tell if a great player is pulling his punches? I would think if a player was good enough to score 30 points in international play or against tougher and older PBL competition, it would indeed look suspicious if that same player suddenly couldn't throw the ball into the Pasig against UAAP competition.

At tama ka Coach, no need to fill in the blanks nga naman...:)

Nagkataon pa (at nag-benefit din kami somehow) na kami ang naging kalaban noong FEU decided to sack Barroca for reasons only they would know the real & honest to goodness score. At hindi lang naman si Barroca ang nag-disappear na player sa FEU in recent years. Pati rin naman yung school team na hinawakan ko eh may star player na nag-disappear din (before my time yan) at nasa playoff phase pa nga na yon.

They somehow all went the way just like in the cases of Ninoy Aquino & JFK also...UNSOLVED MYSTERIES.

emenk
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Coach, tanong ko lang ulet:

ironcoach
09-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Coach, tanong ko lang ulet:

Both gentlemen are great sports patron and both of them also take good care of the people that work for them. Hindi narin matatawaran ang achievements nilang pareho sa Philippine sports history.

I would love to work for/with either one of them but at this point, as i've stated earlier, masyado ng maraming mga "bright boys" sa bakuran ng SMC kaya siguro mas pipiliin kong magtrabaho sa bakuran ng PLDT o SMART.

You've asked me this twice na. May i know why?

james_hunt
09-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Both gentlemen are great sports patron and both of them also take good care of the people that work for them. Hindi narin matatawaran ang achievements nilang pareho sa Philippine sports history.

I would love to work for/with either one of them but at this point, as i've stated earlier, masyado ng maraming mga "bright boys" sa bakuran ng SMC kaya siguro mas pipiliin kong magtrabaho sa bakuran ng PLDT o SMART.

You've asked me this twice na. May i know why?

Gusto lang nyang malaman Kung may kamandag pa ang isang Danding Cojuangco. ;)

ironcoach
09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Gusto lang nyang malaman Kung may kamandag pa ang isang Danding Cojuangco. ;)

Kamandag?? Ano ba talaga ang tanong? Danding ba o butanding?? :)

ironcoach
09-30-2012, 01:24 AM
With the latest drama over at Katipunan starring MVP, i wouldn't count on the "half a mile" scenario. Pwede ko pang matanggap yung "by a hairline" o "squeaker". Might be too much drama and too much distraction. Might.

What did i say, what did i say??!!! :) La Salle could've pulled it off too if not for too much mustard on the hotdog or maybe just 1 ingredient too many on the special dish. Inexperience from top to bottom was the culprit. If only "giving them a scare" can count as a win. Too bad it couldn't.

Well, there's always next year.

LION
09-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Ateneo vs. UST. Your fearless forecast coach? :)

I'd pick UST. Go USTE!!!! :-)

banunoy
09-30-2012, 12:08 PM
What did i say, what did i say??!!! :) La Salle could've pulled it off too if not for too much mustard on the hotdog or maybe just 1 ingredient too many on the special dish. Inexperience from top to bottom was the culprit. If only "giving them a scare" can count as a win. Too bad it couldn't.

Coach, spot on yung forecast ninyo on this match. What do you mean by "too much mustard on the hotdog or maybe just 1 ingredient too many on the special dish". If you were coaching La Salle, what could you have done differently during the 4th qtr?

james_hunt
09-30-2012, 10:30 PM

Coach, no excuses, Ateneo played like champions! Pero, I'd have to give credit to my Green Archers for making a gallant stand against the defending champs! Also, I feel that our rookies, Teng and Thomas Torres held their ground against Ateneo's starting 5 along with Norbert, Andrada and AVO. Well, next year it is!

james_hunt
09-30-2012, 10:39 PM

I'd pick Ateneo in 3 games! Kiefer is just too good and with a supporting cast of superstar players....Ateneo will be hard to beat.

ironcoach
10-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Its a tough call. UST is just oozing with confidence right now. But just because of its championship experience & pedigree, im sticking my neck out and say...Ateneo in 3.

ironcoach
10-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Coach, spot on yung forecast ninyo on this match. What do you mean by "too much mustard on the hotdog or maybe just 1 ingredient too many on the special dish". If you were coaching La Salle, what could you have done differently during the 4th qtr?

You'll just have to start your scrutiny beginning at the 9-minute mark in the 4th qtr with DLSU up by 11 pts. How many shots in the next 5-6 mins did they take with more than 5 seconds left in their shotclock? How many ill-advised 3-pointers did they take eventhough unnecessary? And why the need to field in Webb in the 4th when all the marbles was at stake? Did that move do more harm than good? You be the judge. And those requests for review just to be able to sneak-in extra timeouts, although tactical in nature & in intentions, i thought, were just distasteful. Unclassy, to say the least.

ironcoach
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Coach, no excuses, Ateneo played like champions! Pero, I'd have to give credit to my Green Archers for making a gallant stand against the defending champs! Also, I feel that our rookies, Teng and Thomas Torres held their ground against Ateneo's starting 5 along with Norbert, Andrada and AVO. Well, next year it is!

As a La Salle Alum myself, im one with you in giving them credit as well. And overall, i'd say that coach Gee did very well in his 1st UAAP season. Kudos!

ironcoach
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
I'd pick Ateneo in 3 games! Kiefer is just too good and with a supporting cast of superstar players....Ateneo will be hard to beat.

Kiefer=Phenom. Just too good. Disiplinado, high b-ball I.Q., team player, humble. King Eagle.

greencm
10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Kiefer=Phenom. Just too good. Disiplinado, high b-ball I.Q., team player, humble. King Eagle.

Must state that Kiefer is also a La Salle Alum.

Anyway, to criticize in hindsight is easy albeit unfair. Undoubtedly, Kiefer is one heck of a player. I thought Joshua played him honest/decent defense. Kiefer was just too good in the fourth, even getting superstar calls. No one could have stopped him once he had gotten going.

One thing DLSU must learn is protecting a lead. Save for their game vs UE, all games were tight. Hence, the immaturity showed.

With a solid core and young guns waiting in the wings, the sky's the limit for DLSU. They achieved the F4 target this yr and have their sights on nothing less tha a championship next season.

cheeze
10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Must state that Kiefer is also a La Salle Alum.

Anyway, to criticize in hindsight is easy albeit unfair. Undoubtedly, Kiefer is one heck of a player. I thought Joshua played him honest/decent defense. Kiefer was just too good in the fourth, even getting superstar calls. No one could have stopped him once he had gotten going.

One thing DLSU must learn is protecting a lead. Save for their game vs UE, all games were tight. Hence, the immaturity showed.

With a solid core and young guns waiting in the wings, the sky's the limit for DLSU. They achieved the F4 target this yr and have their sights on nothing less tha a championship next season.

Yes, we are not denying his La Salle roots. At the same time, I beg to disagree on some points you have raised. Kiefer, in the fourth quarter, was not getting superstar calls. All the free throws he took were from fouls validly called by the refs. Kulang pa nga since maraming holding na nangyayari while on motion. In fact, the unsportsmanlike foul was really dubious at best. If that's a superstar call, imagine if Kobe, Lebron and KD get the same calls at the same crucial point of the game.

La Salle played its best and, surely, they will improve. Teng and Torres may have cemented their position in the starting five with their play this season. Looking forward to more great games against DLSU.

ironcoach
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, we are not denying his La Salle roots. At the same time, I beg to disagree on some points you have raised. Kiefer, in the fourth quarter, was not getting superstar calls. All the free throws he took were from fouls validly called by the refs. Kulang pa nga since maraming holding na nangyayari while on motion. In fact, the unsportsmanlike foul was really dubious at best. If that's a superstar call, imagine if Kobe, Lebron and KD get the same calls at the same crucial point of the game.

La Salle played its best and, surely, they will improve. Teng and Torres may have cemented their position in the starting five with their play this season. Looking forward to more great games against DLSU.

Yup. La Salle provided us some classic games this season. At the forefront was that knockout game vs FEU wherein they dug
themselves out of a 10-point hole in just 5 minutes or so to "steal" victory.

FEU just collapsed in the homestretch, just like when they squandered a 6-point lead with barely 2 minutes to go against NU in an earlier knockout scenario. FEU had 2 chances to barge into the Final 4 and both times, they collapsed in the end game. Talk about character deficiency.

And also that Ateneo loss to UE. Unanimously...undoubtedly the upset of the year or..."Stunner of the Year". Hindi nalang nga nag-
create ng masyadong ingay outside the UE Campus and swept under the rug naman by the Blue Eagles faithful. Masyado ng na-spoiled ng multiple championship titles to cry over a half-glass of spilt milk while yung kalahating-baso ng gatas na yan naman mismo rin ang pinansalu-salo ng maraming tao sa isang fiesta sa Recto.

Talk about living and breathing the air on the other side of the fence.

ironcoach
10-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Sana rin ma-develop pa si Gotladera. Sayang yung promise/potential niya coming out of high school.

james_hunt
10-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Sana rin ma-develop pa si Gotladera. Sayang yung promise/potential niya coming out of high school.

Yan ang gusto ko rin mangyari. We're really hoping that next season be Fonzo ang Papot's breakout year.

ironcoach
10-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Yan ang gusto ko rin mangyari. We're really hoping that next season be Fonzo ang Papot's breakout year.

Gotladera & Paredes: God knows yung triple-effort ko para ma-recruit ko silang dalawa to go to UE almost 2 years ago. Yung mommy nga ni Fonzo, hanggang 30,000 feet above the ground ( she's a flight stewardess of PAL) eh nililigawan ko just to get her son over to UE. :)

Pero matalinhaga talaga ang panahon. 2 seasons ng nabubulok sa dulo ng bench sina Papot at Fonzo...2 seasons narin akong wala sa UE. 2 head coaches narin ang dumaan sa UE in 2 seasons and bale 3 head coaches na in 4 seasons. Nangyari ito kung kelan pa for the 1st time in school history eh nakalusot ang Warriors sa Final 4 only 3 seasons ago.

Sino ngayon ang sobra sa kape??

UE_red king
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Gotladera & Paredes: God knows yung triple-effort ko para ma-recruit ko silang dalawa to go to UE almost 2 years ago. Yung mommy nga ni Fonzo, hanggang 30,000 feet above the ground ( she's a flight stewardess of PAL) eh nililigawan ko just to get her son over to UE. :)

Pero matalinhaga talaga ang panahon. 2 seasons ng nabubulok sa dulo ng bench sina Papot at Fonzo...2 seasons narin akong wala sa UE. 2 head coaches narin ang dumaan sa UE in 2 seasons and bale 3 head coaches na in 4 seasons. Nangyari ito kung kelan pa for the 1st time in school history eh nakalusot ang Warriors sa Final 4 only 3 seasons ago.

Sino ngayon ang sobra sa kape??

UE Red warriors po Coach...Pa-alumnus-alumnus pa kasi eh..Suporta na lang kahit na di maganda ang performance ng team...

Joescoundrel
10-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Pareng James, sa kaso ni Papot pang-apat na taon ko na yatang inaantay ang breakout year ng bata mo na 'yan.

As for Ponso, ang masasabi ko lang kulang din kasi kami sa ligaw.

Maiba Coach, ano tingin mo dun sa pagtambak ng RoS kagabi sa Petron? Umabot pa yata ng 19 or 21 ang tambak.

james_hunt
10-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Pareng James, sa kaso ni Papot pang-apat na taon ko na yatang inaantay ang breakout year ng bata mo na 'yan.

Maiba Coach, ano tingin mo dun sa pagtambak ng RoS kagabi sa Petron? Umabot pa yata ng 19 or 21 ang tambak.

Pareng Joe, si Papot kasi Buhay Prinsipe na kaya parang ayaw na mag banat ng buto. If your GF is part of Philippine Aristocracy and you are well accepted by the family, san ka pa? Hehe :)

boytae
10-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Pareng Joe, si Papot kasi Buhay Prinsipe na kaya parang ayaw na mag banat ng buto. If your GF is part of Philippine Aristocracy and you are well accepted by the family, san ka pa? Hehe :)

lol

Joescoundrel
10-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Pota, oo nga pala no!

Coach, ano pa ba maganda pang-motivate dito kay Papot?

bchoter
10-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Mo gurls! Dalhin mo sa USTe!

james_hunt
10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Mo gurls! Dalhin mo sa USTe!

Tarages, ako nalang. :)

bchoter
10-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Muntik ng magkape ang keyboard ko bwahahaha.

Well... everybody needs an inspiration. The mo' the many-er!

ironcoach
10-05-2012, 01:40 PM
UE Red warriors po Coach...Pa-alumnus-alumnus pa kasi eh..Suporta na lang kahit na di maganda ang performance ng team...

One thing for sure...never pa nag-champion ang UE na "Red Warriors" ang monicker. "Warriors" lang ang monicker ng UE nung mga sina-unang panahon na namamayagpag sila sa UAAP, including nga nung pinaka-latest championship in 1985. Maybe need nilang ipa-Feng Shui o ipa-tawas yung pagdagdag ng "Red" sa Warriors. Baka malas.

Come to think of it, blue & gold ang original school colors ng UE. At nung ginawa ngang "Red" Warriors ang monicker nila, hindi na sila muling nag-champion. Bale mula nung pumasok ang DLSU sa UAAP in 1986, hindi na nag-champion pang muli ang UE. And once lang nga naka-lagpas ng Final 4 ever mula nung na-institute yung Final 4 format almost 2 decades ago.

UE_red king, i-try mo kayang gawin nalang UE_king ang screen name mo. Malay natin swerte. Joke lang. :) But seriously, i thought last season ang pinaka-sinayang na chance ng UE na mag-champion. With a line-up of Paul Lee, Ken Acibar, Roi Sumang, Adi Santos, Kit Rosopa, Sam Razon, Paul Zamar, Lucas Tagarda, Lord Casajeros, Gene Belleza, Biboy Enguio, JM Noble & Ivan Hernandez, tapos mga rookies palang naman sina Slaughter at Ravena sa UAAP, feel ko talaga na kayang talunin ng UE ang Ateneo with that line-up.

Pero hindi na natin mawi-witness na mangyari pa yon kahit kailan. Maybe its time na magpa-tawas na talaga.

ironcoach
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Panalo naman ang Petron sa payroll. Dun tambak ang RoS for sure. Wala namang effect ang pagkatalo ng Petron sa final standings in a double-round, 18-games per team conference. Posible ring in the end, Petron pa ang pumasok ng semis while laglag naman ang RoS. Matagal payan & anything can still happen. Hindi pa sure kung sino among Petron, Ginebra, San Mig Coffee at kung gagalingan ni coach Norman, TNT ang magcha-champion sa All-Filipino. Pero halos dyan sa 4 teams lang ang pinag-pipiliandyan.

ironcoach
10-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Pota, oo nga pala no!

Coach, ano pa ba maganda pang-motivate dito kay Papot?

Email copy ng pre-nuptial agreement. :) Any guy who relies sa kayamanan ng isang babae must have a very low self-esteem. Lamang lang ng ilang paligo sa isang gigolo. Unless he knows that his game is really not good enough.

Look at the Kobe's, the LeBron's...and locally si James Yap. Marami ng pera pero iba parin ang may passion. May competition. The drive for excellence. The hunger to win. The love for the game....Mga tunay na lalake.

Ang pera...kayang kitain yan. Ang pagka-lalake...hindi nabibili yan!!! Alien??!!!!

LION
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Email copy ng pre-nuptial agreement. :) Any guy who relies sa kayamanan ng isang babae must have a very low self-esteem. Lamang lang ng ilang paligo sa isang gigolo. Unless he knows that his game is really not good enough.

Look at the Kobe's, the LeBron's...and locally si James Yap. Marami ng pera pero iba parin ang may passion. May competition. The drive for excellence. The hunger to win. The love for the game....Mga tunay na lalake.

Ang pera...kayang kitain yan. Ang pagka-lalake...hindi nabibili yan!!! Alien??!!!!

ALIEN!!!!

james_hunt
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Coach, may talent naman yun bata kaya lang parang ayaw naman makipag-banggaan at kulang sa gulang. I don't know if its just the nature of players NOT under Franz Pumaren to be nice, Pero pansin ko lang na mga players natin ngayon sa La Salle eh sobrang bait!

Ahura Mazda
10-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Hindi pa sure kung sino among Petron, Ginebra, San Mig Coffee at kung gagalingan ni coach Norman, TNT ang magcha-champion sa All-Filipino.
Muntik na ako masamid dito. Hahaha. Sa tingin mo, coach, will Norman Black have the same success as Chot Reyes in TNT?

Interesting. Do you see James Yap as the best player in the PBA?

ironcoach
10-06-2012, 10:48 AM
ALIEN!!!!

Hindi ko nga alam kung paano isingit yung isang realidad nowadays na under sa temang "sign of the times".

In the not so distant past, among guys, mai-dikit lang ang pagkatao mo sa isang bading eh kasuka-suka na. Maybe even kapatid o kamag-anak mo na bading eh ayaw mong ma-affiliate or iku-kubli mo. But with the younger guys nowadays, even among a lot of our known sports personalities, having a gay lover or "sponsor" has become a status symbol. At kina-iinggitan pa ng mga kapwa nilang kabataan.

Im not saying that its bad or immoral and im also not a judge of good & evil. Pero siguro naman kung ang "come-on" dito eh pang-pinansyal o mga pang-materyal na bagay & benefits, at hindi naman tunay na pag-ibig, i guess pwede mo na siyang i-classify under sa category na immoral at "user-friendly". What do you guys think?

ironcoach
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Coach, may talent naman yun bata kaya lang parang ayaw naman makipag-banggaan at kulang sa gulang. I don't know if its just the nature of players NOT under Franz Pumaren to be nice, Pero pansin ko lang na mga players natin ngayon sa La Salle eh sobrang bait!

I wanted to say na sayang si Papot pero hindi pa naman siguro tapos yung aklat niya as far as his bball career is concerned. With his
height & athleticism, there's always hope. Sa palagay ko naman either desire o encouragement lang ang kulang sa kanya.

ironcoach
10-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Muntik na ako masamid dito. Hahaha. Sa tingin mo, coach, will Norman Black have the same success as Chot Reyes in TNT?

NOTHING TO PROVE NARIN SI COACH NORMAN SA PBA. NAKAPAG-GRAND SLAM NA SIYA WITH SMB IN 1989 WHILE SI CHOT NGA NEVER PA. Time is so mystical. The younger generation wala kasing incling sa nakaraan kaya they're only able to judge or conclude sa mga recent events.
Just like in politics. Yung new generation na ang mga botante ngayon and wala silang clues sa mga nakaraan about sa mga kandidato na binoboto nila or sa mga nagawa ng mga ninuno ng binoboto nila.

Kaya eto tayo ngayon.

Interesting. Do you see James Yap as the best player in the PBA?

Nope. But maybe nasa top 6 best player siya today at the very least. Highest-paid pa siguro.

LION
10-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Hindi ko nga alam kung paano isingit yung isang realidad nowadays na under sa temang "sign of the times".

In the not so distant past, among guys, mai-dikit lang ang pagkatao mo sa isang bading eh kasuka-suka na. Maybe even kapatid o kamag-anak mo na bading eh ayaw mong ma-affiliate or iku-kubli mo. But with the younger guys nowadays, even among a lot of our known sports personalities, having a gay lover or "sponsor" has become a status symbol. At kina-iinggitan pa ng mga kapwa nilang kabataan.

Im not saying that its bad or immoral and im also not a judge of good & evil. Pero siguro naman kung ang "come-on" dito eh pang-pinansyal o mga pang-materyal na bagay & benefits, at hindi naman tunay na pag-ibig, i guess pwede mo na siyang i-classify under sa category na immoral at "user-friendly". What do you guys think?

Natumbok mo coach. Ako nga e takang taka na pina pangalandakan sa media na jowa daw ni Vice yung isa o dalawang players ng Tamaraws. Hindi naman sa binabasag ko ang trip nila. Pero napapakamot na lang ako ng ulo. Tama ka - sign of the times ito. Damaged society na nga yata ang Pilipinas.

james_hunt
10-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Natumbok mo coach. Ako nga e takang taka na pina pangalandakan sa media na jowa daw ni Vice yung isa o dalawang players ng Tamaraws. Hindi naman sa binabasag ko ang trip nila. Pero napapakamot na lang ako ng ulo. Tama ka - sign of the times ito. Damaged society na nga yata ang Pilipinas.

Lion, siguradong bakla din yun kung pumatol sa bading :)

ironcoach
10-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Lion, siguradong bakla din yun kung pumatol sa bading :)

Not necessarily, sir. In fairness, they might just know or feel some things that we don't. Huwag din natin i-kundena.

james_hunt
10-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Not necessarily, sir. In fairness, they might just know or feel some things that we don't. Huwag din natin i-kundena.

Opo, coach.

ironcoach
10-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Damaged all over pa kamo...and yung ibang issues eh eternally-damaged na talaga. Lets push the envelope even further: political dynasties-nung panahon malamang by force or thru cheating so excused ang sambayanan. But now...i believe we deserve it na. In the news nga yung mga kakandidato na nagpa-file ng kani-kanilang mga COC's sa Comelec...God save us.

Yung mga politico na inuukit ang kanilang mga pangalan o initials sa mga bangketa at poste...wala bang katapusan ang mga termino niyan?

Mas madali maging politico kesa maging bank teller. Yung bank teller kailangan pa ng college degree while to become a politico... pa-
kapalan at tibay ng sikmura lang.

Ang walang kalaos-laos at kakupas-kupas na mga kotong cops (iskalawag) or criminals in uniforms. Imbes na you feel safe when
they're around, eh baliktad. When they're around, your life's in danger. Bakit ganun?? Ilang dekada na ba?

There could be mild or little changes(tulad nung underpass sa intersection ng G.Araneta/Quez Ave.)...PERO GANITO NA TALAGA
SIGURO TAYO FOREVER. Minor offenses nalang siguro yung mga game-fixing sa basketball at yung pagkakaroon ng "sponsors".

ironcoach
10-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Hindi kaya we've just gotten too old for the times? Baka naman tayo ang may diperensya at hindi na makasabay sa latest. Maybe kids nowadays know better. After all, sila itong mga ipinanganak sa high-tech world.

Maybe we need to step aside and just relax. Stop being a tight-ass. Let the loose-ass do their thing. Dun sila masaya eh. :)

BigBlue
10-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Incidentally, nagpa-blind item si Arnold Clavio kanina sa radio program nila ni Mike Enriquez. Sikat na TV host na may papa sa isang UAAP basketball team; na sabay pa daw silang nagpa-tattoo ng star sa kamay.

james_hunt
10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Hindi kaya we've just gotten too old for the times? Baka naman tayo ang may diperensya at hindi na makasabay sa latest. Maybe kids nowadays know better. After all, sila itong mga ipinanganak sa high-tech world.

Maybe we need to step aside and just relax. Stop being a tight-ass. Let the loose-ass do their thing. Dun sila masaya eh. :)

Coach, I'd blame it on moral decay. Wrong set of values and just a whole new world out there!

ironcoach
10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Coach, I'd blame it on moral decay. Wrong set of values and just a whole new world out there!

So how would you suggest we go about it for ourselves? Set up a crusade against? Or go the route of "if you can't beat 'em ...join 'em"?? Ouch! Pass the vaseline. :)

LION
10-08-2012, 11:18 PM
So how would you suggest we go about it for ourselves? Set up a crusade against? Or go the route of "if you can't beat 'em ...join 'em"?? Ouch! Pass the vaseline. :)

Bwahahahahaha.

And Boy Abunda is one of the biggest ironies of our time. :-p

james_hunt
10-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Hahaha! I guess live and let live nalang....but personally I wont thread 'unchartered' territories. I'm happy playing with Eve, bahala sila kay Adam at sa Ahas. :)

ironcoach
10-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Will Ateneo cop their 5th straight UAAP title today or will the Growling Tigers extend the series to a game 3?

On the other side of the fence sa NCAA, knockout for the #4 spot naman ang paglalabanan ng UPHDS at JRU today. As if anybody cares. :)

At least fair ako ha. Pati yung NCAA (zzzzzzz...) may plugging dito sa thread ko. :)

erichubert
10-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Coach, the 5 peat is complete, Ateneo also amazingly had a 10-1 record in the Finals the last 5 years. The only loss? To you and your UE Warriors, a blow-out to boot. Kudos to you too.

ironcoach
10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Coach, the 5 peat is complete, Ateneo also amazingly had a 10-1 record in the Finals the last 5 years. The only loss? To you and your UE Warriors, a blow-out to boot. Kudos to you too.

Hehe...thanks. But you know, deep in my guttest of guts, i really believe that i could've stopped Ateneo's "drive for five" at 3. My team last season would've had 2010 Mythical 5 members Paul Lee & Ken Acibar + my prized recruit Roi Sumang. Surround my Big 3 with the likes of Kit Rosopa, Adi Santos, Lucas Tagarda, Paul Zamar, Lord Casajeros, Sam Razon, JM Noble & Biboy Enguio...and rookies palang din nun sina Slaughter & Ravena after the departure of Al-Hussaini, Baclao & Salamat...last season would've been the "Year of the Red Warriors".

Sayang. Destiny intervened eh. But still, congrats to coach Black & the Blue Eagles. Hindi na mabubura pa yang achievement na yan in Philippine basketball annals.

erichubert
10-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Coach, tingin nyo kaya ng Ateneo magcontend next year without Black et. al? At mukhang naudlot si Coach Bo at sa UP ata papunta. As a coach, what do you think of the job of succeeding Coach Norman? Sure failure? No-Win Job? And would you take it?

ironcoach
10-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Coach, tingin nyo kaya ng Ateneo magcontend next year without Black et. al? At mukhang naudlot si Coach Bo at sa UP ata papunta. As a coach, what do you think of the job of succeeding Coach Norman? Sure failure? No-Win Job? And would you take it?

With Kiefer there, every game may chance na manalo sila. This kid is really special & i thought he's more deserving to be the Finals MVP.

Yung kasabihan na "if it ain't broke...why fix it?" aptly describes the situation na papasukin ng whoever becomes the next Blue Eagles coach. I've always believed that yung discipline at yung "game intelligence" are what separates the Blue Eagles from the rest of the field. It could've taken coach Norman a while to instill these pero in the last 5 years, he succeeded.

Motivation and talent can only carry you so much. But to go all the way, and to be able to do it game in & game out, year in & year & year out, it takes discipline & intelligence.

If i would take the coaching job at the Ateneo? With all due respect to Mr. Bong Tan...i would love to!

ironcoach
10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I just read somewhere that coach Perasol & the Ateneo had mutually agreed to tear up his recently-signed 3 year contract with the school. So that means the head coaching position there is vacant once again.

I wonder kung ano kaya ang mga criteria ang hinahanap nila dun para ma-consider? Would inflicting them their only loss (by 20 pts) in 11 UAAP Finals games in the past 5 years suffice? :)

jembengzon
10-16-2012, 07:59 PM
coach, bisita ka sa BEN, tignan mo ang mga thread. there is enough material there for you to draw conclusions as to what ateneo is looking for in a coach.

ironcoach
10-16-2012, 08:57 PM
coach, bisita ka sa BEN, tignan mo ang mga thread. there is enough material there for you to draw conclusions as to what ateneo is looking for in a coach.

Baka makita ko lang ang fact that i don't fit the bill eh sumama lang ang loob ko. :)

Pero how about you guys? What do you think? Uubra kaya ako maging coach ng Blue Eagles? Good looks aside. :)

james_hunt
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I just read somewhere that coach Perasol & the Ateneo had mutually agreed to tear up his recently-signed 3 year contract with the school. So that means the head coaching position there is vacant once again.

I wonder kung ano kaya ang mga criteria ang hinahanap nila dun para ma-consider? Would inflicting them their only loss (by 20 pts) in 11 UAAP Finals games in the past 5 years suffice? :)

Coach, masarap na makita na Lasalista ang coach ng Ateneo. You can do it coach, go for it! :)

ironcoach
10-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Coach, masarap na makita na Lasalista ang coach ng Ateneo. You can do it coach, go for it! :)

Eh dyan palang sa naisip mong sub-plot eh mukhang malabo na ang tsansa ko. :)

LION
10-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Eh dyan palang sa naisip mong sub-plot eh mukhang malabo na ang tsansa ko. :)

Huwag mo set aside yung good looks coach. Sayang.

ironcoach
10-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Huwag mo set aside yung good looks coach. Sayang.

You never cease to amuse me, sir. Kaabang-abang talaga yang mga punchline mo. :)

Well, since the criterias for being the coach at the Ateneo are those of the level ng mga "Norman Black", "Chot Reyes", et al., kailangan yata eh makabili na ng marami-raming mga shampoo at body wash since...sa dami ng paligo ko nalang dadaanin. :)

ironcoach
10-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Im just guessing that maybe there are still people out there who haven't had enough of basketball Pinoy-style. After the UAAP and the 4-month long COLLEGIATE basketball league that is the NCAA (na hindi pa nga officially tapos-hindi ba roughly 9 months or so lang ang isang school year??), and the 10-teams, 5 3/4 owners professional league...the PBA. And tomorrow naman, yung opening ng new season of the PBA D-League featuring 11 teams.

Huwag sana kayong magsawa regardless of the quality of the games. Kasali ako dito eh. :)

Jeep
10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
coach, matagal na'kong nagbabasa ng forums mo and i admire your candor in your views.

how do you think the NCAA title series will end? will san beda be able to chalk up a new 3-peat? or will letran bring the title back behind the walls of intramuros?

Big Ticket
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Im just guessing that maybe there are still people out there who haven't had enough of basketball Pinoy-style. After the UAAP and the 4-month long COLLEGIATE basketball league that is the NCAA (na hindi pa nga officially tapos-hindi ba roughly 9 months or so lang ang isang school year??), and the 10-teams, 5 3/4 owners professional league...the PBA. And tomorrow naman, yung opening ng new season of the PBA D-League featuring 11 teams.

Huwag sana kayong magsawa regardless of the quality of the games. Kasali ako dito eh. :)

too bad isinali yun Gilas Cadet team este NLEX....

bchoter
10-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Huwag sana kayong magsawa regardless of the quality of the games. Kasali ako dito eh. :)mahirap i maintain ang interes kung iisang team lang ang naghahari, coach. Hindi na ito developmental kundi incubation period ng MVP teams. Walang illegal diro pero nakakawala din ng gana. Pag NLEx na ang naglalaro at hondi din lang school affiliated ang kalaban e either switch channels nalang or, kung may fr. Martin game, mag effort nalang akong manood ng live. Baka maka shot ko pa si pateng Joe hehe. Makitid na kung makitid ang pananaw pero, kung tangalin ang NLEX, baka bumalik ang gana kong manood katulad nung si nasirang Butch Maniego pa ang commissioner ng PBL

ironcoach
10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
coach, matagal na'kong nagbabasa ng forums mo and i admire your candor in your views.

how do you think the NCAA title series will end? will san beda be able to chalk up a new 3-peat? or will letran bring the title back behind the walls of intramuros?

SBC has the advantage sa player personnel pero lamang sa coaching at diskarte ang Letran. If it were still Frankie Lim at the helm, bugbog-sarado ang Letran dyan. Na-offset nalang since coach Magsanoc's system bago palang.

ironcoach
10-23-2012, 02:28 PM
mahirap i maintain ang interes kung iisang team lang ang naghahari, coach. Hindi na ito developmental kundi incubation period ng MVP teams. Walang illegal diro pero nakakawala din ng gana. Pag NLEx na ang naglalaro at hondi din lang school affiliated ang kalaban e either switch channels nalang or, kung may fr. Martin game, mag effort nalang akong manood ng live. Baka maka shot ko pa si pateng Joe hehe. Makitid na kung makitid ang pananaw pero, kung tangalin ang NLEX, baka bumalik ang gana kong manood katulad nung si nasirang Butch Maniego pa ang commissioner ng PBL

I was telling some of the other team managers nga sa D-League jokingly if payag silang ibigay nalang sa NLEX yung 1st place trophy after the Opening Ceremonies then paglabanan nalang namin yung 2nd place trophy. Everyone agreed. :)

Big Ticket
10-24-2012, 08:10 AM
coach, ano nangyari kay ken acibar? 3 mins lang sya kahapon....na-injured ba or it was decision not to use him?

admiral thrawn
10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
coach si iyo pala si "the juice" ah.magaling yan!

bayanpilipinas
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I was telling some of the other team managers nga sa D-League jokingly if payag silang ibigay nalang sa NLEX yung 1st place trophy after the Opening Ceremonies then paglabanan nalang namin yung 2nd place trophy. Everyone agreed. :)

Coach, sabi nga nila, sila raw underdog eh. ;)

ironcoach
10-24-2012, 01:20 PM
coach, ano nangyari kay ken acibar? 3 mins lang sya kahapon....na-injured ba or it was decision not to use him?

Ken dislocated his left shoulder in a tune-up game last Saturday. Sinubukan ko lang siya sa game for a few minutes so he can feel it out. Other than those few minutes, i deemed it prudent not to risk it. Mahaba pa naman ang conference.

ironcoach
10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
coach si iyo pala si "the juice" ah.magaling yan!

The "Juice" is really good. Although it might take a while to process his Immigration documents. Iba ang rules when it comes to Fil-Ams ng D-League as compared to our local collegiate leagues. Even Chris Camus and now Greg Slaughter dumaan din sa ganyang scrutiny.

Juice has Philippine passport but ang hinahanap ng PBA eh yung BID recognition.

ironcoach
10-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Coach, sabi nga nila, sila raw underdog eh. ;)

Yeah right! Baka underdog-style ang abutin nila kung hindi sila mag-champion ng 5-peat. :)

james_hunt
10-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah right! Baka underdog-style ang abutin nila kung hindi sila mag-champion ng 5-peat. :)

Bwahahaha!

genom222
10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Coach, sinong muse ang pinakamalupet nun opening? :P

Ahura Mazda
10-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Coach, how would you assess Paolo Taha's game? :D

ironcoach
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Coach, sinong muse ang pinakamalupet nun opening? :P

I wasn't there for the opening but from what i've heard, kami lang ang may bitbit na artista in the person of Ms. Carla Abellana.

Maybe umiwas narin lang ako sa tukso. :)

ironcoach
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Coach, how would you assess Paolo Taha's game? :D

I will turn him into the next Paul Lee as long as he acquires and maintain Paul's attitude and character traits. Give me a year & a half.

Big Ticket
10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Coach, bat po di naglalaro si roi sumang sa d-league? Eligible na naman sya maglaro...

tulf
10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Coach Letran is also looking for a new headcoach, are you willing to take the job, if its offer to you?

jmikery
10-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Coach, bat po di naglalaro si roi sumang sa d-league? Eligible na naman sya maglaro...

Singit lang pero nasa Unigames UE ngayon and may training raw sila abroad after

Ahura Mazda
10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I will turn him into the next Paul Lee as long as he acquires and maintain Paul's attitude and character traits. Give me a year & a half.
Wow! That's huge, coach! I'm excited!

JBSO
10-28-2012, 08:45 AM
I will turn him into the next Paul Lee as long as he acquires and maintain Paul's attitude and character traits. Give me a year & a half. coach, i believe it will happen kay taha. tsaka sana mapansin ng mga PBA teams si bandaying, ang ganda ng shooting. good luck sa boracay! bawi sa nxt game!

ironcoach
10-28-2012, 04:10 PM

He was supposed to play for my team pero he was having 2nd thoughts, maybe may pume-pressure. My 3-year contract offer to him was quite generous pa naman at si Paul Lee pa mismo ang nag-hand deliver nung contract kay Roi pero takot siyang pumirma.

I brought this kid to UE at a time na he was having problems with his studies. He flunked his PEPT (acceleration) test in 2009 kaya hindi ko siya ma-line up nung UAAP 2010 but he passed the test on his 2nd attempt. UE even took away his scholarship at the end of the 1st semester of schoolyear 2010-2011 because of failing grades but i paid for the down-payment of his tuition fee for the 2nd sem with my own money kaya at least naging eligible siya for UAAP 2011. Well, heroics doesn't always pay. :)

ironcoach
10-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Coach Letran is also looking for a new headcoach, are you willing to take the job, if its offer to you?

Show me the money!!! :)

ironcoach
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Singit lang pero nasa Unigames UE ngayon and may training raw sila abroad after

Yah. They actually made it to the Unigames finals, slipping past ADMU in the crossover semis, but had to concede the championship to NU because of airline tickets problem. :) I was told that they booked a return flight from Bacolod for Oct.27, not believing that they'd make it to the Oct.28 championship game (they were also scheduled to depart for Taiwan on Oct.29). When they inquired, all flights to Manila from Bacolod are full na so they decided to dump the championship game nalang.

ironcoach
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Wow! That's huge, coach! I'm excited!

Keep your fingers crossed also.

ironcoach
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
coach, i believe it will happen kay taha. tsaka sana mapansin ng mga PBA teams si bandaying, ang ganda ng shooting. good luck sa boracay! bawi sa nxt game!

Thanks. Good luck din kay Bandaying. This guy deserves a break. One of the few, dying breed, knockdown set-shooter in the country.

jmikery
10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Yah. They actually made it to the Unigames finals, slipping past ADMU in the crossover semis, but had to concede the championship to NU because of airline tickets problem. :) I was told that they booked a return flight from Bacolod for Oct.27, not believing that they'd make it to the Oct.28 championship game (they were also scheduled to depart for Taiwan on Oct.29). When they inquired, all flights to Manila from Bacolod are full na so they decided to dump the championship game nalang.

Any opinion on the Arafat guy? He popped up a lot during tweets about the game vs Ateneo

ironcoach
10-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Any opinion on the Arafat guy? He popped up a lot during tweets about the game vs Ateneo

No idea on this guy. Don't know him, have never seen him, clueless on how he plays.

MrM
10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Coach, bata niyo rin ba si Raffy Reyes? He's getting a lot of minutes in Alaska. Congrats for another product of yours kung sa inyo nga siya.

ironcoach
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Coach, bata niyo rin ba si Raffy Reyes? He's getting a lot of minutes in Alaska. Congrats for another product of yours kung sa inyo nga siya.

Raffy, just like most of the "dependables" on those 2 years i was with UE, were Dindo Pumaren-recruits. And i actually believed na sa D-League na siya mas na-develop o nahasa pang lalo. When he was with me, he couldn't even hit the ocean with a stone from the pier. Athleticism, hustle tsaka depensa...diyan mo maa-asahan si Raffy kahit noon pa.

ironcoach
11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Belated Happy Halloween to one and all out there. As for my Boracay Rum Waves, its been more "tricks" rather than "treats" so far in our campaign in the new season of the PBA D-League. Hopefully, our fortunes will turn for the better before Christmas rolls along.

God Bless, everyone.

Ghostrider
11-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Whew! When I started this thread in April last year, little did I realize that it would become a blockbuster thread.

I spent the past few days back reading (have done just under a hundred pages so far) and its been a riveting tale. Kudos to ironcoach for his candor and accessibility.

Mabuhay ironcoach!

ironcoach
11-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Whew! When I started this thread in April last year, little did I realize that it would become a blockbuster thread.

I spent the past few days back reading (have done just under a hundred pages so far) and its been a riveting tale. Kudos to ironcoach for his candor and accessibility.

Mabuhay ironcoach!

So ur the guy who started this mess. :) Anyway, allow me to thank you belatedly for putting up/starting this thread for, of all the more exciting personalities around, me.

Joescoundrel
11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Coach, baka kay Jess Tanchangco takot si Roi kaya ayaw pumirma sa inyo, hehe! Sayang, would've loved to see if Roi can hold his own in the D League.

ironcoach
11-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Coach, baka kay Jess Tanchangco takot si Roi kaya ayaw pumirma sa inyo, hehe! Sayang, would've loved to see if Roi can hold his own in the D League.

Im sure Roi will have his day one day. As far as being afraid naman of whoever, Roi's a Tondo boy and a son of a Manila cop. Im pretty sure "afraid" or duwag isn't in his vocabulary.

Big Ticket
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
coach, saan galing si jerry santos? first time i heard of him...

ironcoach
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
coach, saan galing si jerry santos? first time i heard of him...

Jerry's from West Covina, California. He came to the Philippines on his own lang and tried-out with different other teams. Ako lang yata ang nagtiyaga (naawa :) ).

emenk
11-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Coach, saw you yesterday at Honda Que Ave. wanted to say hi pero nahiya ako. Lol! Your son also also tall by the way. Wonder why he didn't pursue basketball.

Big Ticket
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Jerry's from West Covina, California. He came to the Philippines on his own lang and tried-out with different other teams. Ako lang yata ang nagtiyaga (naawa :) ).

Did some research on him, kakampi pala nya sina matt ganuelas at julius armon sa fil-am league sa US...

Joescoundrel
11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Coach, why do you think the Princeton offense espoused by the fired Mike Brown didn't quite work out for the Lakers? Do you think their personnel are not a good fit for the Princeton offense?

ironcoach
11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Coach, why do you think the Princeton offense espoused by the fired Mike Brown didn't quite work out for the Lakers? Do you think their personnel are not a good fit for the Princeton offense?

Im sure it wasn't the offense thats the main problem there. For sure they ran, practiced, walked-thru & have discussed the intricacies of the said pattern before putting it out or executing it come game time. And with the intelligence & talent that they have, adjustments would've come easily.

In my opinion, egos must have set in and Mike Brown was made out to be the scapegoat. Plain and simple.

ironcoach
11-15-2012, 11:35 PM
One of the worst feeling that a basketball coach has to endure is that of being the guy that pulls the trigger in cutting or letting a player(s) go. No one else, not the team manager, team owner or any team official. But just like most difficult decisions that a man has to make in his life...we gotta bite the bullet...and move on.

emenk
11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
coach, have not been following your team in D-league, but how is performing lately?

ironcoach
11-16-2012, 12:49 PM
coach, have not been following your team in D-league, but how is performing lately?

Who were u referring to again? You seemed to have mis-typed your question. But overall, the whole team had been lousy, me included. Seems like we're just waiting for the Christmas season to roll along. But im still having fun though.

emenk
11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Who were u referring to again? You seemed to have mis-typed your question. But overall, the whole team had been lousy, me included. Seems like we're just waiting for the Christmas season to roll along. But im still having fun though.

my bad coach, sorry i was just using my phone when i asked you that question.. hope you guys make the play-offs.

yungha
11-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Coach, any difference in the playing styles, mindsets and/or attitudes of east coast versus west coast fil-ams?

ironcoach
11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Coach, any difference in the playing styles, mindsets and/or attitudes of east coast versus west coast fil-ams?

Sa experience ko lang, mas blue-collar ang approach ng mga galing East Coast/or sa Central (e.g. Eric Menk, Rudy Hatfield) and mas flashy at puro bravado naman ang mga galing ng West Coast (e.g. Sol Mercado, Asi Taulava).

Both traits are ok naman as long as they produce the "W's" for their respective teams.

ironcoach
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Before i forget, Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Sam Miguel
11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Coach, with the PCCL almost over, if you were to be appointed PCCL Czar, what changes if any would you implement in the PCCL and why?

ironcoach
11-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Coach, with the PCCL almost over, if you were to be appointed PCCL Czar, what changes if any would you implement in the PCCL and why?

I'd rank the top 64 college teams nationwide and make them play knockout games (e.g. #1 vs #64, #2 vs 63, down to #32 vs #33, one miss you die format) from 64 teams down to 32, down to 16, down to 8 then 4 then finally, the top 2. Or 2 groups composed of 32 teams each and ranking the UAAP & NCAA champs #1 in each of the 2 groups.

The current format is a big joke in my opinion. You've got teams like Adamson needing to play 7 games from Manila to Batangas to Cebu then back to Manila while teams like San Beda and Ateneo sat here waiting in the semis and using rustiness as excuses for not being able to perform well. Its just ridiculous. Well, Adamson finally succumbed to fatigue and fell short of gaining a semis berth. I wouldn't have allowed my team to undergo such an ordeal if we can only manage to not salivate over the prize money at stake.

genom222
11-30-2012, 12:58 AM
my exact thoughts Coach! NCAA US style dapat! UAAP Champ and NCAA runner up on one bracket and then NCAA Champ, UAAP runner up on the other. Play each round on different venues then the final 4 in Manila.

ironcoach
11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
my exact thoughts Coach! NCAA US style dapat! UAAP Champ and NCAA runner up on one bracket and then NCAA Champ, UAAP runner up on the other. Play each round on different venues then the final 4 in Manila.

Or 4 groups of 16 teams each. Something like this:

Group A: uaap champ, mindanao 4th placer, ncaa 3rd placer
Group B: ncaa champ, visayan 4th placer, uaap 3rd placer
Group C: visayan champ, ncaa 4th placer, visayan 3rd placer
Group D: mindanao champ, uaap 4th placer, mindanao 3rd placer

Then add-in nalang mga NAASCU or whatever other collegiate leagues na meron out there in the mix. Stage the group games on every weekend in different parts sa Pilipinas. In fact, kung magkataon na magharap ng maaga or maging magka-grupo ang DLSU and Ateneo, i'd play that game in another country na maraming OFW's para ma-promote narin internationally ang Philippine Collegiate basketball. Ewan ko nalang kung hindi pa bumongga ang PCCL niyan.

You've gotta think young, dynamic and ambitious instead of sticking with the old dogs who couldn't even fart, i mean bark, anymore.

Joescoundrel
11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
^ Tsaka Coach, mukhang hindi na dapat si Mang Romy G ang technical committee boss ng PCCL kapag Czar ka na.

ironcoach
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
^ Tsaka Coach, mukhang hindi na dapat si Mang Romy G ang technical committee boss ng PCCL kapag Czar ka na.

In fairness to Ka Romy, tao din yan like anyone of us and he also needs a sideline. Hindi man pang-kabuhayan pero at least pampa-lipas oras para hindi tumanda agad (as if hindi pa siya matanda :) ).

But i'll have to also conclude that the people running the PCCL haven't been dynamic. Very bland na ang flavor na iniha-hain nila. Parang napanood ko pa nga a La Salle game sa Cebu on TV na nilalangaw sa venue. Sa totoo lang kasi, after 3 months of UAAP and 4 months of NCAA basketball, tapos galing pa ng sem break, nakaka-umay din nga naman na.

And may D-League pa on the side makes you wonder if talaga ngang student-athlete ang karamihan sa ating mga collegiate players or simply play for pay mercenaries. Hindi lang siguro new PCCL czar ang kailangan natin but also a new head ng SBP.

bchoter
11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Pwede bang wag ng tawaging Champions' League? Misnomer eh.

Coach, sobra sobrang liga na nga ang nilalaruan ng mga bata. In fact, as of this moment, Karim Abdul is in the UST for a check up after feeling weak and is aching all over. That is on top of his lingering injuries on both knees.

Big Ticket
12-06-2012, 08:03 PM
congrats to boracay rum on their 1st win....ganda ng pagkakapasok kay marcy arellano sa line-up...

btw coach, bat di po naglalaro si glenn khobuntin?

ironcoach
12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
congrats to boracay rum on their 1st win....ganda ng pagkakapasok kay marcy arellano sa line-up...

btw coach, bat di po naglalaro si glenn khobuntin?

Salamat, salamat. Marcy is indeed a welcome addition sa line-up namin being a veteran at siya yung naging stabilizer namin. With regards to Khobuntin, may isang buwan na siyang wala sa amin as he was persuaded by NU management to defer playing in the D-League & instead focus on his collegiate stint. Although may live contract sa amin si Khobuntin, i opted to let him off easy nalang para hindi na siya malito at mahirapan pa, not to mention na super-bigat din ang makaka-bangga ko(NU/SM) kung magkataon.

Khobuntin was reminded of the many deeds that was done to him by NU management like the shouldering of his mom's hospitalization, inupahan ang pamilya niya sa CdO ng bagong matitirhan nung matangay ng baha yung dati nilang bahay, etc. In fairness kay Khobuntin, as young as he is, marunong siyang tumanaw ng utang na loob, a trait very seldom seen with a lot of other cagers, past & present. And he was able to showcase this trait kasi ipina-mukha narin lang (isinumbat? :) ) sa kanya yung mga kabutihang nagawa para sa kanya. Kaya ayon, balik-doghouse na naman siya dun. :)

ironcoach
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I reminded my boys yesterday after the game (after our first win of the conference) that we are quite fortunate na ang pino-problema lang namin is winning ballgames. Unlike yung mga kababayan natin down south who are going thru hell caused by typhoon Pablo. That im just a basketball coach mapping out game plans to win basketball games, and not be of much help to those typhoon victims.

And so my team and i offered prayers instead.

caloy
12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
coach, any predictions (or inside info) on where the most sought-after (or publicized) recruits for next season will play? pinggoy montalbo, nambatac, mbala (?), etc

LION
12-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Salamat, salamat. Marcy is indeed a welcome addition sa line-up namin being a veteran at siya yung naging stabilizer namin. With regards to Khobuntin, may isang buwan na siyang wala sa amin as he was persuaded by NU management to defer playing in the D-League & instead focus on his collegiate stint. Although may live contract sa amin si Khobuntin, i opted to let him off easy nalang para hindi na siya malito at mahirapan pa, not to mention na super-bigat din ang makaka-bangga ko(NU/SM) kung magkataon.

Khobuntin was reminded of the many deeds that was done to him by NU management like the shouldering of his mom's hospitalization, inupahan ang pamilya niya sa CdO ng bagong matitirhan nung matangay ng baha yung dati nilang bahay, etc. In fairness kay Khobuntin, as young as he is, marunong siyang tumanaw ng utang na loob, a trait very seldom seen with a lot of other cagers, past & present. And he was able to showcase this trait kasi ipina-mukha narin lang (isinumbat? :) ) sa kanya yung mga kabutihang nagawa para sa kanya. Kaya ayon, balik-doghouse na naman siya dun. :)

Balik doghouse hahahaha. Nice one coach.

I like your perspective in life and basketball. We may not agree on some views but you have my utmost respect.

You may not have a winning team right now but I wish you'll have a big break soon and be blessed with your own dream team.

ironcoach
12-08-2012, 04:43 PM
coach, any predictions (or inside info) on where the most sought-after (or publicized) recruits for next season will play? pinggoy montalbo, nambatac, mbala (?), etc

Sorry but hindi na ako updated sa high school & collegiate scene. Once out never in?? :)

ironcoach
12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Balik doghouse hahahaha. Nice one coach.

I like your perspective in life and basketball. We may not agree on some views but you have my utmost respect.

You may not have a winning team right now but I wish you'll have a big break soon and be blessed with your own dream team.
Thank you sir. Pero lahat naman ng tao sa mundong ito may kanya-kanyang calling tsaka misyon. Maybe yung pagkaka-drawing lang sa treasure map ko maraming rough terrains, zigzag, uphill-downhill tsaka lubak-lubak. Pero ok lang & im not complaining. They only toughen & wisen us in the long haul.

ironcoach
12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
2 down 3 to go. Although, of course, it is easier said than done, the good thing is, there's still a slim chance for us to sneak into the PBA D-League playoffs. My Boracay Rum had dug a deep hole that, to be able toovercome this, we'll be needing a minor miracle.

But thats the challenge here. I've never entertained the thought that it would be a breeze for us from the get go. But as the year draws to a close, we got what we wanted as we enter the new year...HOPE.

Merry Christmas to everyone and all. Peace.

tulf
12-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Merry Christmas And Happy Holidays Ironcoach!

Coach I wish you to have good health and better career next year!
Wish ko rin sana magkatime kayo maka silip sa iba pang basketball leauge,
para you can give us (your fans) good basketball insights.
iba kasi pag galing sa inyo ang insights walang sugarcoating and professional ang analysis.
More Power to you Ironcoach

Joescoundrel
12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Coach out of the country ba kayo for the Holidays?

ironcoach
12-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Coach out of the country ba kayo for the Holidays?

Im just here in Manila for now. Trying to book a ticket to go somewhere pero everything's expensive. Will see if flights will become cheaper on d 25th. But if ever, will be back on the 28th. Watsup? Btw, Maligayang Pasko, my friend.

Joescoundrel
12-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Merry Christmas to you and the family, Coach!

ironcoach
12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Just like that, Christmas '12 is done. A lot of anticipation & excitement for this day but it just came & went. Next...New Year's Eve
naman, then 2013 na. Tuloy lang ang ikot ng mundo. Cheers!! :)

ironcoach
12-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Eto yung pwedeng ipang-describe sa mga petsang Dec.26-30 taun-taon nalang. A few months bago mag-Pasko, ang taas ng expectations. Fever-pitch ang excitement to the point na giggly ka pa nga. Pero pag-sapit ng araw na yon, at pagka-lipas, yung parang...ganon nalang ba yon?

These past few years, maybe a week before X'mas Day, i'd be infront of the bank teller withdrawing bundles of crisp one hundred & fifty peso bills for giveaways. To my ballboys, to the security guards, to my bosses' drivers & bodyguards, to the maintenance people, to street-children, to my frequent watch-car boys, to our maids, to almost anybody. Yup! To almost anybody. Plus the usual Tanduay calendars, bottles of Rhum, vodkas & the likes, and packs of cigarettes from Fortune Tobacco.

And as i was waiting for the bank teller to prepare my withdrawal, it suddenly occurred to me that, these past several years, i receive almost nothing (in kind) from anyone. My players, past & present, would send their usual text greetings but thats about it.

Of course its kinda sad. After all, most of us still has that little child in us. :) But on that particular day, after reminicsing for just a while, nakuntento narin ako na at least may pampa-migay pa ako. After all, di ba ang tunay na diwa ng Pasko eh "its better to give than to receive"?? Ayon! Ni-literal ako tuloy. :)

LION
12-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Coach, indeed it’s better to give than to receive because it means that you were so blessed that you have the resources to give unlike the others who can only receive. :)

ironcoach
12-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Coach, indeed it’s better to give than to receive because it means that you were so blessed that you have the resources to give unlike the others who can only receive. :)

Pero as i've said, all of of us meron yung "little kid" inside us that also wishes to receive his Matchbox toys kapag Pasko. But its all good. Tama ka. Its better to give than to receive naman talaga. And besides, accept it or not, we won't be kids anymore. At least in this lifetime.

Joescoundrel
01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Eto yung pwedeng ipang-describe sa mga petsang Dec.26-30 taun-taon nalang. A few months bago mag-Pasko, ang taas ng expectations. Fever-pitch ang excitement to the point na giggly ka pa nga. Pero pag-sapit ng araw na yon, at pagka-lipas, yung parang...ganon nalang ba yon?

These past few years, maybe a week before X'mas Day, i'd be infront of the bank teller withdrawing bundles of crisp one hundred & fifty peso bills for giveaways. To my ballboys, to the security guards, to my bosses' drivers & bodyguards, to the maintenance people, to street-children, to my frequent watch-car boys, to our maids, to almost anybody. Yup! To almost anybody. Plus the usual Tanduay calendars, bottles of Rhum, vodkas & the likes, and packs of cigarettes from Fortune Tobacco.

And as i was waiting for the bank teller to prepare my withdrawal, it suddenly occurred to me that, these past several years, i receive almost nothing (in kind) from anyone. My players, past & present, would send their usual text greetings but thats about it.

Of course its kinda sad. After all, most of us still has that little child in us. :) But on that particular day, after reminicsing for just a while, nakuntento narin ako na at least may pampa-migay pa ako. After all, di ba ang tunay na diwa ng Pasko eh "its better to give than to receive"?? Ayon! Ni-literal ako tuloy. :)

Coach, kalendaryo!

bchoter
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Coach calendar girls!

ironcoach
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Coach, kalendaryo!

Done. Lets meet up this weekend. Name the place.

ironcoach
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Coach calendar girls!

Done.

bchoter
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Done.
Wala bang time and place coach? LOL

Happy new year coach! Here's wishing a more colorful but ultimately, self-satisfying year ahead ;)

abcdef
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Coach kakapalan ko na mukha ko:) Pa trivia game ka naman dito premyo yung mga merchandise niyo :) at baka pwede na din yung Calendar Girl ;) Happy New Year! :)

ironcoach
01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Wala bang time and place coach? LOL

Happy new year coach! Here's wishing a more colorful but ultimately, self-satisfying year ahead ;)

Lets allow Joescoundrel to figure that one out. Game ako basta within the Pasig, Mandaluyong, Q.C., San Juan area.

ironcoach
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Coach kakapalan ko na mukha ko:) Pa trivia game ka naman dito premyo yung mga merchandise niyo :) at baka pwede na din yung Calendar Girl ;) Happy New Year! :)

Ok. Here's 2 questions: 1) Who's the ONLY coach that was able to guide the UE Warriors to its "only" UAAP Final Four series win eversince the inception of the Final Four format in the UAAP in 1994?

2) In Ateneo's UAAP Men's Basketball five-peat finals series from 2008-2012, it had swept all the best of 3 finals series 2-0 except one. Which UAAP school team weren't they able to sweep?

Calendars & bottles of Boracay Rum ang pa-premyo dyan if may kasamang mga amusing at intelligent comments & insights ang mga answers ninyo. Good luck. :)

LION
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
^

1. Ironcoach
2. UST

Mel
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
1. Ironcoach
2. UE Red warriors

ironcoach
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
1. Ironcoach
2. UE Red warriors

Comments and insights? Kahit puro panggu-goodtime lang. :)

genom222
01-04-2013, 09:02 PM
1. Coach Lawrence Chongson aka ironcoach
http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/uetoday/news/2009/01/images/coach_chongson_header.jpg

2. The 2009 UE Red Warriors
http://www.ue.edu.ph/manila/uetoday/news/2009/01/images/coach_chongson_warriors.jpg

In January 12, 2009 the team acquired a new Head Coach in the person of Lawrence Chongson who took over from Dindo Pumaren. Under Coach Lawrence, the UE Red Warriors Men’s Basketball Team saw action in a total of five tournaments, two of which were held abroad. These were the 2009 Ming Dao International Basketball Tournament held in March in Taipei, Taiwan; the Easter Showcase in Las Vegas, USA in April; the 2009 FilOil Flying V Pre-Season MVP Invitational Cup held at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan; the PBL Flex Unity Cup (with the players comprising the “Cobra Energy Drink Warriors”). [2]

In the semi finals of Season 72, The University of the East (UE) Red Warriors closed the curtains on the Far Eastern University (FEU) Tamaraws to earn a slot in the Finals. However, the Red Warriors lost to the Ateneo Blue Eagles twice in the Finals best-of-three series.

Coach - ok na sakin isang Calendar Girl LOL

cheeze
01-04-2013, 09:56 PM
sa team picture. makikita mo si Xian Lim LOL

Sam Miguel
01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Coach, I think this has been asked before, but given the astounding heights to which recruitment has gone now, do you think it is time to institutionalize a salary and salary scale for recruits to the UAAP?

UAAP muna tayo Coach, as I'm not sure if this is something our friends here from the NCAA would also want to tackle.

It might be too much to institutionalize a draft, but maybe paying players isn't such a radical idea, considering men's basketball I think makes up at least 90% of UAAP revenues.

Sam Miguel
01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Comments and insights? Kahit puro panggu-goodtime lang. :)

Coach, I always go back to what you say in interviews, that first and foremost it is the players who get it done on the court. No matter how good a coach is, ultimately it is up to the players to execute on the floor. You were blessed with a really great team on that 2009 UE squad. And I always liked the way guys like Pari Llagas, Elmer Espiritu, Paul Lee, and all of your other guys paid their dues and made it all the way to the Finals that year. One or two breaks in Game 3 and you could have easily won against the Ateneo, bringing UE its 19th (tama ba...?) UAAP men's basketball title.

ironcoach
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Coach, I think this has been asked before, but given the astounding heights to which recruitment has gone now, do you think it is time to institutionalize a salary and salary scale for recruits to the UAAP?

UAAP muna tayo Coach, as I'm not sure if this is something our friends here from the NCAA would also want to tackle.

It might be too much to institutionalize a draft, but maybe paying players isn't such a radical idea, considering men's basketball I think
makes up at least 90% of UAAP revenues.

Pwede naman talaga yan. The only problem is that rich schools(or the rich backers of a particular school) can afford to give bigger salaries to their recruits as compared to a poorer school. Most schools use their dividends in basketball to support or fund their other sports kaya hindi rin mai-buhos lahat sa mga basketball teams nila.

At isa pa, wala ring fool-proof na formula ang UAAP or SBP para i-police ang mga under the table na abutan. Dekada na yang malpractice na yan and until now, nobody cares. Everyone still looks the other way. Walang nagsu-sulong or gustong mag-swear by sa Daang Matuwid.

Not in this lifetime.

ironcoach
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Coach, I always go back to what you say in interviews, that first and foremost it is the players who get it done on the court. No matter how good a coach is, ultimately it is up to the players to execute on the floor. You were blessed with a really great team on that 2009 UE squad. And I always liked the way guys like Pari Llagas, Elmer Espiritu, Paul Lee, and all of your other guys paid their dues and made it all the way to the Finals that year. One or two breaks in Game 3 and you could have easily won against the Ateneo, bringing UE its 19th (tama ba...?) UAAP men's basketball title.

True. Very true. What can i say? I guess i was really blessed that year.

Joescoundrel
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Coach sa NCAA there is a serious move to ban foreign players at least from the men's basketball tournament. Personally I think that's rascist bullshit.

In the UAAP we have a two-import maximum at least in men's basketball, ewan ko lang sa ibang sports lalo sa football.

Meron pang nalalamang two-year sit-out ang UAAP generally basta galing abroad ang player, even if said player is pure Pinoy, like say nag-immigrate ang Pamilya.

I personally feel that the UAAP should forget all about the two-import limit, as well as the two-year sit-out for expat players.

Sa sit-out at most I think one year lang dapat umupo and player kung nakapaglaro na siya ng college varsity abroad, and no sit-out at all kung straight out of high school or otherwise hindi pa nakakalaro at the college level overseas, like they do in the NCAA, hence guys like Rome Dela Rosa.

Gusto ng UAAP magkaroon ng world class universities and colleges, reknowned worldwide as institutions of academic excellence, and yet we discriminate against foreign students who may also happen to be athletes, and we specifically discriminate against basketball players.

As Pinoys we are proud if say one of our Pinoy athletes gets an athletic scholarship and becomes a UCLA Bruin or a Texas Longhorn or a Michigan Wolverine. Pero tayo nililimitahan natin ang ibang magaaral na nagkataon manlalaro din pagdating nila sa bansa natin just because they happen to come from overseas. Hindi ba anlaking kagaguhan nun on the part of the UAAP?

Kung nagkataon schools like say the Ateneo or Lasalle or NU or even UE are able to get a half-dozen Americans or Africans to form the core of their varsity basketball teams then so be it.

We should stop coddling local players. Let them try out and see if they are really as good as they think they are.

What are local players afraid of? Hindi naman makakatuntong sa PBA ang UAAP import, unless as imports.

Eh kung sabihin na din kaya ng Asean BL or the Middle Eastern semi-pro league na bawal na din maglaro ang Pinoys as imports, hindi ba aalma din tayo and accuse them of being rascist?

Tama na 'yan kahipokritohan na 'yan, let's make it skies-the-limit for UAAP imports!

Ano tingin mo, Coach?

ironcoach
01-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Coach sa NCAA there is a serious move to ban foreign players at least from the men's basketball tournament. Personally I think that's rascist bullshit.

In the UAAP we have a two-import maximum at least in men's basketball, ewan ko lang sa ibang sports lalo sa football.

Meron pang nalalamang two-year sit-out ang UAAP generally basta galing abroad ang player, even if said player is pure Pinoy, like say nag-immigrate ang Pamilya.

I personally feel that the UAAP should forget all about the two-import limit, as well as the two-year sit-out for expat players.

Sa sit-out at most I think one year lang dapat umupo and player kung nakapaglaro na siya ng college varsity abroad, and no sit-out at all kung straight out of high school or otherwise hindi pa nakakalaro at the college level overseas, like they do in the NCAA, hence guys like Rome Dela Rosa.

Gusto ng UAAP magkaroon ng world class universities and colleges, reknowned worldwide as institutions of academic excellence, and
yet we discriminate against foreign students who may also happen to be athletes, and we specifically discriminate against basketball players.

As Pinoys we are proud if say one of our Pinoy athletes gets an athletic scholarship and becomes a UCLA Bruin or a Texas Longhorn or a Michigan Wolverine. Pero tayo nililimitahan natin ang ibang magaaral na nagkataon manlalaro din pagdating nila sa bansa natin just because they happen to come from overseas. Hindi ba anlaking kagaguhan nun on the part of the UAAP?

Kung nagkataon schools like say the Ateneo or Lasalle or NU or even UE are able to get a half-dozen Americans or Africans to form th
e core of their varsity basketball teams then so be it.

We should stop coddling local players. Let them try out and see if they are really as good as they think they are.

What are local players afraid of? Hindi naman makakatuntong sa PBA ang UAAP import, unless as imports.

Eh kung sabihin na din kaya ng Asean BL or the Middle Eastern semi-pro league na bawal na din maglaro ang Pinoys as imports, hind
i ba aalma din tayo and accuse them of being rascist?

Tama na 'yan kahipokritohan na 'yan, let's make it skies-the-limit for UAAP imports!

Ano tingin mo, Coach?

Masyado nalang talaga nai-salpak sa mga kukote at diwa nating mga Pinoys ang "Filipinos first" mentality/emotionally. Dekada ba namang api ang mga Pinoy dating back sa panahon ng mga Kastila, Hapon at Amerikano. Kahit nga mga kapwa nating mga Pinoy na medyo nakaka-angat sa kabuhayan at estado sa buhay eh nakasanayan ng apak-apakan ang kanyang ka-lahi. Its a damaged culture.

You make sense though. Basketball should really be a universal sport. If an American bball player is good enough to be recruited by an American university, do you think he'd even consider an offer by a Philippine college? Yung mga nagtiya-tiyagang maglaro dito, eh yung mga walang magandang offers dun sa kanila.

Do you think Gabe Norwood would play PBA ball if may kukuha naman sa kanyang NBA team? The list goes on and on. And lastly, tanggapin narin natin na sa world stage, we don't really excel naman sa sport na pinaka-passion pa man din nating mga Pinoys.

yungha
01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
coach, did you ever consider migrating?

ironcoach
01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
coach, did you ever consider migrating?

Migrate?? As in, to another country?? Hell no!! There's no place anywhere in the world as compared to the Philippines. Aside from the pollution, the traffic, the corruption in our government, the heinous crimes happening around us, all the red tapes...ITS MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES. :)

I've been to so many places already. The U.S., Singapore, H.K., Thailand, China, Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc. Heck, i've been goin to the U.S. 2 to 3 yearly the past 7 years! I love to travel and see & experience different places but to live, dito na ako. Why do you ask?

yungha
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
... Why do you ask?

wala lang. you were talking about Filipino mindsets. maraming pinoy na gustong mangibang-bansa. i just wanted your opinion on the matter.

i also remember reading an article about when you took your red warriors to the states. you said you yourself drove the van and took the players around because you were already familiar with the area. so i thought maybe you tried living there for a few years.

agree with you, though, there's no place like home and it's more fun in the Philippines.

ironcoach
01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
wala lang. you were talking about Filipino mindsets. maraming pinoy na gustong mangibang-bansa. i just wanted your opinion on the matter.

i also remember reading an article about when you took your red warriors to the states. you said you yourself drove the van and took the players around because you were already familiar with the area. so i thought maybe you tried living there for a few years.

agree with you, though, there's no place like home and it's more fun in the Philippines.

Kaya ko lang naman medyo na-kabisado ang L.A., SFO & Las Vegas was because i spent a semester of college sa Long Beach State way back then, at idagdag mo narin yung dalas ng kababalik mo dun these past several years. Since i started working for Mr. Lucio Tan Jr. kasi, i get 8 Philippine Airlines Business Class tickets to any PAL international route yearly. And kadalasan nga, say mga 2 to 3 times a year, sa U.S. West Coast nga ang point of entry.

Salamat nga pala for following my thread. Kung ano mang interes ang nakakahatak sayo upang sundan ito, which i myself couldn't understand why you guys don't look at it as a waste of your precious time. :) Thank you talaga sa pagtangkilik.

Joescoundrel
01-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Coach, that might Harbour Centre squad of the PBL had Coach Jorge Gallent, and then Coach Glen Capacio. Granting they handled different sets of players, what would you say were the differences in their coaching styles?

ironcoach
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Coach, that might Harbour Centre squad of the PBL had Coach Jorge Gallent, and then Coach Glen Capacio. Granting they handled different sets of players, what would you say were the differences in their coaching styles?

Obviously, Jorge is the fiery & temperamental type while si Glenn naman yung cool, relaxed(outside appearance) & mild-mannered. Not to discredit their coaching prowess, capabilities & achievements, their strengths(PBL days) really was the man behind Harbour. Boss Mikee Romero was the brains & the main man behind those 7 PBL titles.

There are perhaps around 20 current PBA players that played for Harbour Centre. Enough to put up 2 PBA teams. :) They were yesteryears NLEX(of the PBA D-League) squad. They were very good at architecting & achieving what they desperately desired, and we were keen, cunning & sly enough to recognize it, and not fall into the trap.

ironcoach
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Well, after an 0-5 start to begin this season's PBA D-League, we've won our last 3 games to keep our flickering hopes of making it to the playoffs alive. We're not by any chance near of making it yet but we're 2 games and a ton of prayers away.

The boys are beginning to buy into my system, and the addition of Marcy Arellano certainly filled the on-court leadership vacuum that was evidently missing when we started out. He only had 2 points & 5 assists on his stats-line in his 1st 2 games with us, and 3 points, 4 assists last night but his stabilizing presence alone has brought out the best (better) in his teamates.

The key has so far been our resolve. Whereas my boys used to even fight(as in fisticuffs) among themselves, unti-unti nagkakaroon na ngayon ng brotherhood. Ang laki talaga ng pinagbago pagdating sa character at attitude. Hindi ako tumigil sa pag-psychologize and in playing mind games with my players too. There were a few bad eggs along the way na i deemed hopeless na and had to be sacrificed(eliminated) in order to attain a certain level of sanity within the team, and as usual, i had the sensitive yet cold-blooded task to pull the trigger.

Kids wish for their 2 front teeth for the New Year. On the other hand, my team, especially me, are only wishing for "2 more wins".

ironcoach
01-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Ping-Pong na naman ba kaya itong PBA finals series? These past several finals series sa PBA, u'd always witness yung salitan ang team na nananalo. Yung tipong 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3 tapos bahala na kayo sa game 7. Or at least hanggang 2-2 then mag-rumble na kayo beginning game 5.

Yun parin kaya ang trend sa finals series na ito?? Abangan!

ironcoach
01-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Ping-Pong na naman ba kaya itong PBA finals series? These past several finals series sa PBA, u'd always witness yung salitan ang team na nananalo. Yung tipong 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3 tapos bahala na kayo sa game 7. Or at least hanggang 2-2 then mag-rumble na kayo beginning game 5.

Yun parin kaya ang trend sa finals series na ito?? Abangan!

Well what do ya know!! This PBA conferences's finals series started out with one team going up 2-0 instead of the (recently) usual me-you-me-you trend in the first 4-6 games. This one could even end up with a sweep (4-0) due to paltry gate attendance. Baka tapusin nalang agad kasi nilalangaw sa takilya. :) Kaya nga can you blame PBA officials for pissing in their pants whenever Ginebra fails to make it to the Finals sa bawat conference ng liga?? Hell, i'd feel the same way too if i were the one in charge of BUSINESS.

Joescoundrel
01-16-2013, 08:23 AM
^ Coach, what is the secret to the popularity of the Ginebra franchise post-Big J anyway? Nung nandun pa si Tito Sonny I can understand that the team would be popular due to the Jaworski sphere of influence. But after the Big J retired, I never thought Ginebra would still be the most popular team in the league.

ironcoach
01-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Its now crunchtime in the PBA D-League Aspirants' Cup elimination round. We're down to our last 5 playdates and its going to be a very tight(except for exceptional team-NLEX) race for the last 3 slots of the 6 slots (NLEX, Blackwater & Big Chill had already secured the first 3 slots) quarter-final phase.

The format calls for a single round elims for the 11 participants, the top 2 teams secure outright slots in the semis while #3 plays #6 & #4 plays #5 in the quarters (#3 & #4 enjoys twice to beat advantage). The winner of 4-5 plays #1 and the winner of 3-6 plays #2 in separate best of 3 semi-finals series then the finals is best of 5.

As it is, the standings today read: NLEX 9-1 (what?!! May isang talo?? Bwahahaha!!!!), Blackwater 6-2, Big Chill & Cagayan Valley 5-3, JRU/Air21 4-4, Fruitas Shakers 4-4, Cebuana Lhuillier & Boracay Rum 3-5, Erase X-foliant 2-6 & Informatics Icons 0-8.

My team needs to sweep our last 2 games (vs Cafe France & Fruitas) and hope that JRU/Air21, Fruitas & Cebuana either lose or split their remaining 2 games. :) Ang sama maka-hangad pero ganon talaga sa basketball. Its either you or me. :)

Joescoundrel
01-16-2013, 08:49 AM
^ Coach, kung magkakalabanan pa 'yang JRU, Cebuana at Fruitas sure ng may matitisod sa kanila.

By the way Coach, parang humahabol na yata sa galing ni Ken Acibar itong si Maclean Sabellina.

ironcoach
01-16-2013, 09:09 AM
^ Coach, what is the secret to the popularity of the Ginebra franchise post-Big J anyway? Nung nandun pa si Tito Sonny I can understand that the team would be popular due to the Jaworski sphere of influence. But after the Big J retired, I never thought Ginebra would still be the most popular team in the league.

Beats me. But very good question though. It had also puzzled me in recent past and i can't find the logic also. But since ginising mo muli ang isipan ko pagdating sa bagay na yan, piniga ko uli ang aking isipan at ang sagot na unang sumagi sa akin...yung produkto nila mismo. Machong-macho ang dating ng Gin as compared to gatas, pintura, kape (na dati ay darak :) ), gasolina, sim card, kartero at kuryente.

Coz if you scrutinize the cast of characters from then & now, medyo malayo talaga ang dating. Just imagine, DISTRITO & Helterbrand, CUENCO & Raymundo, LOCSIN & Maierhoffer, AMPALAYO & Ellis, JARENCIO & Caguioa, Bal DAVID & Tenorio, AQUINO & Taha, LOYZAGA & Hatfield, BOLADO & Wilson, MAMARIL & Mamaril :) Eh yung JAWORSKI & Tanquincen (dun muna tayo sa mga previous conferences)? You be the judge.

Ang nakikita at napipisil ko lang na sagot eh yung produkto mismo. Matindi yung iniwang legacy ng Tito Sonny mo. Kasi kung yung sa "Never Sa Die" na dating trademark nila, in recent years puro "Die" lang naman ang nasaksihan ng mga ka-Barangay diba?

Iba parin talaga ang produktong pam-bisyo sa mga kababayan natin. This past X'mas season nga i had 700 pcs of Tanduay calendar-posters (KC Concepcion is 2013's Tanduay Girl) for giveaways & guess what?? Ubos! Till now may mga humihingi parin. Same with Ginebra (Anne Curtis parin?). And dati yung SMB. Ganyan ang Pinoy. Sentimental to a fault. Hari ng Aksyon...FPJ. Hari ng Komedya...Dolphy. Ayaw sa PAGBABAGO.

ironcoach
01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
^ Coach, kung magkakalabanan pa 'yang JRU, Cebuana at Fruitas sure ng may matitisod sa kanila.

By the way Coach, parang humahabol na yata sa galing ni Ken Acibar itong si Maclean Sabellina.

The best scenario for us is first, we sweep our last 2 (vs Cafe France & Fruitas) then Cagayan Valley beats Fruitas next week and JRU/Air21 beats Cebuana Lhuillier on the last day of the eliminations. JRU/Air21 will therefore end up with a 6-4 slate, Boracay Rum 5-5, then Cebuana & Fruitas at 4-6 (Cafe France is currently at 4-4-even after that X'Mas gift from NLEX, and has Boracay Rum & Big Chill as its last 2 opponents).

But even if JRU/Air21 should lose to Cebuana, the 3 of us would end up tied at 5-5 (assuming we sweep our last 2 ha). In that scenario, 2 of the 3 teams will make it & 1 will take the boot. Now, im not sure how the league would resolve it but in the past, the quotient system was used to determine placings. We lost to Cebuana by 9 & won by 10 over JRU/Air21 so may +1 kami dun. Lumalabas na knockout game na between Cebuana & JRU-Air21 yon since if Cebuana should lose even by a point, 4-6 na sila at wala ng triple-tie. If Cebuana should win by a point, magiging +10 ang Cebuana, +1 kami & -11 ang JRU/Air21 sa tie-breaker. Exciting diba?? What are guys waiting for then? MANOOD NA NG 2013 PBA D-LEAGUE. Its on AKTV every Tuesday & Thursday 9:30pm, and on Saturday at 11:30AM. Better yet, come to the venues. Admission is free. :)

ironcoach
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Lamang parin dapat si Acibar lalo na pagdating sa skills at game-understanding. Sa mga plays at situationals. But Sabellina compensates sa athleticism, hustle and hardwork, and outshines Acibar sa attitude and of being a team player on & off the court. Acibar's getting to the pros (at 21)early and almost immediately being waived (didnt even play a single game), screwed up this kid's psyche all over. Being the family bread-winner and a Tondo toughie wanna-be didn't help either. He's coming around though. Little by little but hopefully continously. He's only 23 after all.

Sabellina, with a little luck and a lot more muscle & heft, a little more polishing and a little more smarts...should be pro-bound in a year.

Joescoundrel
01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Coach patalastas lang ha, ikaw kasi hottest thread dito, so para kang prime time slot para sa commercials, hehe!

Pinapasabi nga pala ni Boss Bo Perasol na may open tryouts bukas ang Blue Eagles sa Moro from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM, magpakita na lang bukas ang mga interesado.