PDA

View Full Version : Hoops Scoops (The Ironcoach's Saga)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

BLUE HORSE
03-22-2012, 02:19 AM
It comes down to money. Majority of the NCAA schools are pushing for the rules change on foreign imports because the schools do not have the funds or are not inclined to spend the funds for their basketball program nor can they find a padrino to support their team. Technically, it is not SBC they are afraid off because the alumni group of SBC solidly supports the basketball team. The other NCAA schools are afraid of the new interlopers like Arellano and EAC. These 2 schools are new to the league but have fielded competitive teams. Arellano and EAC are also poised to crack the final 4 grouping of the NCAA because of their big men imports from Africa.

In the UAAP, NU is the least attractive schools to blue chip players and is reflected in the teams win/loss record. To level the playing field, the SM group has opened their checkbook and enticed a hoard of players to transfer and play for NU. Mbe transfered from an NCAA school and their new foreign recruit , Betayene, came from UE. NU also has a third foreign recruit doing residency together with their Fil-Am recruit. Who would have thought that NU would be in the recruiting mix for Amer of SBC, Ravena and Banal of AHS and Teng of Xavier. Thanks to coach Altamirano, NU signed a number of u-16 national players, some of whom only stayed a season before they were replaced by better recruits. Is NU breaking any rules, legally no but morally yes because of the large signing bonus and monthly stipends. All UAAP schools accept the fact that recruiting foreign players and Fil-Am are a means of leveling the recruiting landscape and part of doing business.

Will all the collegiate leagues in the country agree to the same rules similar to the US NCAA? Who will enforce the financial and academic rules? US NCAA schools do not have the same basketball budget but all schools are governed by the simple fact that players can not receive any financial handouts from the school or the schools boosters, kahit pang McDo lang bawal. US schools adhere to the rules because the carrot is their financial share from the basketball television rights money that is disbursed at the end of the year. The top conferences like ACC, Big Ten, Big East, SEC, Pac-12 and Big-12 still dominate the recruiting landscape and the lion share of the television money. The alumni of these conferences pour money to support the various individual sports program of their beloved alma mater.

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 02:39 AM
coach, just wondering... where do you draw the line between mercenaries and legit foreign student athletes?
afaik, there are also full blooded pinoys who pretend to be student athletes (some even over age), yet not tag as mercenaries.

Pero yung mga na-hire ala PBA imports (pinadalhan o ni-reimburse yung plane fares), ini-lako ng mga sports agents, sinadya pang i-recruit either from Africa or the US (or any other countries for that matter).

With all due respect sir. Diba its stated here naman na "ala PBA imports"? So im sure ang tinutukoy eh dayuhan and not Fil-Fors.
And "ni-recruit either from Africa or the US-or any other countries for that matter". I guess my statements did EXEMPT players from places like Cebu, Zamboanga, Davao, CDO, Cotabato, Iligan City, Iloilo, Bacolod, Escalante, Leyte, Agusan del Sur, Tawi-Tawi, etc.

My apologies for making unclear statements, sir.

genom222
03-22-2012, 02:51 AM
We got team building in Baguio beginning today till Wednesday. I swear by & believe in the importance of this event as a tool to bring out the best in some people within a team on any kind of endeavor and not just basketball.

Bringing a bunch of peopke to believe & achieve a common goal and being on the same page. Its the pouring of the mind & soul into wanting to overachieve while defying all the odds.

As the head coach of my team, in these team building sessions, my main job is to sell to my team the importance, the desperation, of winning basketball games and on how it can be easier to achieve thru teamwork. I've gotta sell them the idea that winning basketball games is so much more important than anything else in the world. But on the side, accidentally or otherwise, im basically just preaching to them to seize the moment. Just being the best you that you can be.

Coach ano activities nyo sa team building? as in walang usapang basketball the whole time?

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 03:17 AM
We got team building in Baguio beginning today till Wednesday. I swear by & believe in the importance of this event as a tool to bring out the best in some people within a team on any kind of endeavor and not just basketball.

Bringing a bunch of peopke to believe & achieve a common goal and being on the same page. Its the pouring of the mind & soul into wanting to overachieve while defying all the odds.

As the head coach of my team, in these team building sessions, my main job is to sell to my team the importance, the desperation, of winning basketball games and on how it can be easier to achieve thru teamwork. I've gotta sell them the idea that winning
basketball games is so much more important than anything else in the world. But on the side, accidentally or otherwise, im basically just preaching to them to seize the moment. Just being the best you that you can be.

Coach ano activities nyo sa team building? as in walang usapang basketball the whole time?

Everything, of course, revolved around basketball. As an occupation (we're in the D-League), on how each team member should approach work and work ethics, on working relationships with teamates, on the players resolve and dedication, on how we should fight for the team or the job that puts food on our table.

My style of team building aka covert operation. More like trying to conduct espionage.

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Kayo naman..foreign players are disliked and should be banned only if the two conditions are satisfied:
1) The player is very good;
2) If the player is wearing a jersey that is Red and White colors bearing the name "San Beda".

Im not one of them...i swear.

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
NLEX, Air21 w/o import, SMB-ABL w/o imports, Air Asia-ABL w/o imports.

How would you rank them and how much disparity do you think would each have on the other?

The NLEX players are full of potential & are definitely the future of Philippine basketball but at this stage, the 3 other teams you mentioned, who are much older & more experienced, would surely just rough them up, bang 'em silly into submission so i'll have to rank them 4th but only for the time being.

Of the 4, Air21 should be the favorite, being a PBA team and with the addition of Omolon & Isip. Then followed closely by the Patriots then SMB.

admiral thrawn
03-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Kayo naman..foreign players are disliked and should be banned only if the two conditions are satisfied:
1) The player is very good;
2) If the player is wearing a jersey that is Red and White colors bearing the name "San Beda".

Im not one of them...i swear.

alam ko naman coach na you're not one of them.. i was talking about the NCAA Mancom!

franz_inwurdz
03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
coach, just wondering... where do you draw the line between mercenaries and legit foreign student athletes?
afaik, there are also full blooded pinoys who pretend to be student athletes (some even over age), yet not tag as mercenaries.

Pero yung mga na-hire ala PBA imports (pinadalhan o ni-reimburse yung plane fares), ini-lako ng mga sports agents, sinadya pang i-recruit either from Africa or the US (or any other countries for that matter).

With all due respect sir. Diba its stated here naman na "ala PBA imports"? So im sure ang tinutukoy eh dayuhan and not Fil-Fors.
And "ni-recruit either from Africa or the US-or any other countries for that matter". I guess my statements did EXEMPT players from places like Cebu, Zamboanga, Davao, CDO, Cotabato, Iligan City, Iloilo, Bacolod, Escalante, Leyte, Agusan del Sur, Tawi-Tawi, etc.

My apologies for making unclear statements, sir.

no worries coach! but just to add to the healthy discussion...

If we use money or benefits received to classify an athlete if he's a mercenary or not. That is very subjective.

May panahon dati na ang extra rice ay considered benefits at already above and beyond what should be given.

Now it is but normal to give "allowances".

I'm not saying it's ok. I'm saying it's completely A DIFFERENT issue. And all you guys are right, regulations should be placed.

Yun ang solution!

Hindi ang mag-ban ng Foreign STUDENT-Athletes.

D hamak na mas talamak ang pinoy mercenaries, and banning foreigners won't solve the problem, nor would it level the playing field. ;D

And such action would only help you to believe that a deeply rooted hidden agenda is the foundation of this move. ;D

Sam Miguel
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
My one centavo comment. Some schools offer out-of-this world fringe benefits to talented ballers, whether local or imported, which in a way does not contribute to a level playing field. These should be regulated just like in the States. I know a few schools in the UAAP and NCAA which have said that they don't have the budget or funds to recruit these players and can't compete with other schools for them.

Ironcoach was forthcoming enough to declare how much he offered as UE head coach to top talents, and he then thought aloud as to what those top talents had gotten from the schools they eventually attended (this term used as loosely as possible). The fact is that recruitment now really is all about mutual benefits, players getting the best deals they can from the schools they eventually choose. It is a players market I think, with the best players of course getting the best deals. If certain schools cannot compete it is their own fault. How can you put up buildings and other improvements running into several million Pesos and not have a few hundred thousand Pesos to give in allowances and other benefits for maybe 20 varsity players? I would dare say even the so-called small spender schools, if they really chose to, could pay (let's not kid each other on this term) for top talents, and then it may come down to the extras, i.e. nicer campus, better looking co-eds, overseas trips, and for those actually after a degree their preferred course / major.

animo
03-22-2012, 10:22 AM

I suppose yung iko-consider na legit foreign students-athletes are those who came to the Philippines on their own then enrolled to study in a particular school, then later on tried out for the varsity(whatever sports) and made the team. And yung tulad ni Kirk Long na sa Faith Academy nagtapos ng high school (just like Paul Tan Chi).

Pero yung mga na-hire ala PBA imports (pinadalhan o ni-reimburse yung plane fares), ini-lako ng mga sports agents, sinadya pang i-recruit either from Africa or the US (or any other countries for that matter) at tumatanggap ng allowance (whether from the school or from a booster) na double, triple or quadruple more than most of his teamates...siguro maitu-turing na nating mercenaryo yon. Don't you think?

By your definition, coach, almost all fil-foreigners will be considered mercenaries too. Same with locals who were recruited from the provinces and given plane tickets and given allowances.

If that is the case, konti na lang ang maituturing na legit student-athletes, i.e., those who are not blue chips and not highly recruited.

not only plane tickets and allowances. i heard the parents of the kid receive huge amounts, vehicle, some even got employed or given a business franchise etc.
i think offering scholarship alone to a blue chip player (100% pure pinoy) is not enough. mag papaluwal talaga.
tiyak na mangangamote ang school kung mag aantay ng magaling na player na kakatok sa pinto nila. good luck!
i have to agree with @Lion and @Oca.

james_ty
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
My one centavo comment. Some schools offer out-of-this world fringe benefits to talented ballers, whether local or imported, which in a way does not contribute to a level playing field. These should be regulated just like in the States. I know a few schools in the UAAP and NCAA which have said that they don't have the budget or funds to recruit these players and can't compete with other schools for them.

You must be talking about NU, gfy, and some other UAAP schools.

2 years ago, NU offered a top Red Lion an "out-of-this-world" package to leave SBC and transfer to NU. The monthly allowance offered was 3x higher, on top of a nice condo unit as living quarter plus other mall perks. ;)

Where the hell are Njei and Joe Etame now? Are they still studying? ;)

Njei and Joe were supposed to transfer to UP but I haven't heard any news about them lately.

pio_valenz
03-22-2012, 11:40 AM
They're not in UP, although they did try out last year.

On the topic of recruiting, ang problema kasi dito walang katumbas ng US NCAA, an independent governing body that will oversee all the different conferences. Kanya-kanya ang mga collegiate leagues dito, and even rules on eligibility, transferees and foreign players differ from league to league. You cannot expect these leagues to police to their own ranks, and what's more, if you want to be really technical about it, I don't think it's even written down anywhere that throwing lavish gifts at a recruit is illegal.

The logical choice of course would be the SBP, which can probably assign a college basketball commissioner to oversee the different leagues around the country. Yun nga lang, will the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI, etc. agree to give up their autonomy?

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

I suppose yung iko-consider na legit foreign students-athletes are those who came to the Philippines on their own then enrolled to study in a particular school, then later on tried out for the varsity(whatever sports) and made the team. And yung tulad ni Kirk Long na sa Faith Academy nagtapos ng high school (just like Paul Tan Chi).

Pero yung mga na-hire ala PBA imports (pinadalhan o ni-reimburse yung plane fares), ini-lako ng mga sports agents, sinadya pang i-recruit either from Africa or the US (or any other countries for that matter) at tumatanggap ng allowance (whether from the school or from a booster) na double, triple or quadruple more than most of his teamates...siguro maitu-turing na nating mercenaryo yon. Don't you think?

By your definition, coach, almost all fil-foreigners will be considered mercenaries too. Same with locals who were recruited from the provinces and given plane tickets and given allowances.

If that is the case, konti na lang ang maituturing na legit student-athletes, i.e., those who are not blue chips and not highly recruited.

not only plane tickets and allowances. i heard the parents of the kid receive huge amounts, vehicle, some even got employed or given a business franchise etc.
i think offering scholarship alone to a blue chip player (100% pure pinoy) is not enough. mag papaluwal talaga.
tiyak na mangangamote ang school kung mag aantay ng magaling na player na kakatok sa pinto nila. good luck!
i have to agree with @Lion and @Oca.

I agree with them, too. 2 months before my contract wasn't renewed by UE, i was in the finishing touches of coming to terms with 2 18 yr old, 6'8, pure Black American high school seniors, 1 from San Francisco & the other 1 from Oakland, to come over and play for UE.

Im a basketball coach first & foremost before im a patriot. Before i think of the plights, the dreams and misery of our hard- luck countrymen-athletes wanna-be's, i've gotta serve my masters first since they're the ones lining my pockets with dough. And as far as all the joke of a sporting system that our country has (not only in the collegiete scene), i didn't start 'em..and for sure, it wouldn't end with me either.

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
2 years ago, i tracked-down the P.E. Director of UE and inquired on the whereabouts of the University's last UAAP Men's Basketball Championship trophy that they've won in 1985. I intended to display it in a spot on where my players can see it everytime we practice.

And the answer i got...that trophy cannot be found anymore. The P.E. Director alleged that it was stashed-away in a basement within the gymnasium for several years until it rotted and ultimately broke down.

May bearing kaya yun sa 26-year drought ng UE? Yung kaya ang nag-mitsa ng The Curse"? What would it take to break the spell? Oe does it even really matter at all?

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 01:58 PM
I would like to end the discussions regarding the NCAA/UAAP policy and the prevailing practice of many of our collegiate basketball teams regarding the hiring of imports (mercenaries or othetwise). Unang-una, most of us here, im sure, are helpless pagdating sa bagay na yan at dagdag unwanted stress lang yan. What i've posted about it are purely my personal sentiments only and i've no plans whatsoever to go all-out and mag-Noynoying just to prove my point.

And about dun sa mga football and volleyball teams ng UP at Baste na nakalamang dahil sa pagkuha ng imports, ang masasabi ko lang dun eh deadma lang naman kasi ang madlang-people sa mga sports na yan. Sa basketball lang talaga baliw ang Republika ng Pilipinas at doon din sila maraming alam at opinyon...parang tayo.

easter
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Coach when you played Ateneo last time naglaro ba si Elorde? If yes do you think he could be the next Monfort in terms of hustle plays and defense? Or are you expecting more from Juami Tiongson this year?

Nen
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
ironcoach, what do you think is UST's chances this upcoming uaap season? they only lost camus in last year's line-up. thank you.

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Coach when you played Ateneo last time naglaro ba si Elorde? If yes do you think he could be the next Monfort in terms of hustle plays and defense? Or are you expecting more from Juami Tiongson this year?

Elorde (and Tiongson) were both there and were fielded-in during our tune-up game. Based on the ONLY time that we've faced the Eagles in more than a year, and based on both point guards' performance that day, i can see Ravena playing a lot of minutes at the point guard position for them.

As of that 1-time that we played each other, and in terms of being the next Monfort...malayo pa. Maybe with a little more seasoning. Juami needs to bulk up to be the answer at the point. His upside is his smarts and good court sense.

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
ironcoach, what do you think is UST's chances this upcoming uaap season? they only lost camus in last year's line-up. thank you.

Ateneo will still be the favorite, NU, the contender, FEU and Adamson, the perrenial challengers owing to recent playoff experiences, UP, the surprise package, and UST, THE DARKHORSE.

Fortuna, Bautista, Afuang, Ferrer, Abdul, Teng, Mariano, Pe and Lo are capable of winning 8-9 games this coming season & barge into the UAAP Final 4.

easter
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Juami needs to bulk up to be the answer at the point. His upside is his smarts and good court sense.

Thanks coach for your thoughts. Iba pala ang tingin mo kay Tiongson. Some people I heard say and kinda observe this as well that he still takes a lot of time holding or dribbling the ball. Has he improved a bit in this manner when you played against him?

As for UST, I think there is a possibility that they will challenge for the title this year because of Abdul. Nagulat ako sa improvement ni Abdul when I first saw him in one televised summer league and when the 2nd round came. Next season he could be much better. Nagulat ka din ba dito coach or you expected Abdul to be this good sa simula pa lang?

coach_of_steel
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Juami needs to bulk up to be the answer at the point. His upside is his smarts and good court sense.

Thanks coach for your thoughts. Iba pala ang tingin mo kay Tiongson. Some people I heard say and kinda observe this as well that he still takes a lot of time holding or dribbling the ball. Has he improved a bit in this manner when you played against him?

As for UST, I think there is a possibility that they will challenge for the title this year because of Abdul. Nagulat ako sa improvement ni Abdul when I first saw him in one televised summer league and when the 2nd round came. Next season he could be much better. Nagulat ka din ba dito coach or you expected Abdul to be this good sa simula pa lang?

Ganun parin si Juami when we played them. Ang kulang sa batang ito, in my opinion, eh athleticism. Ang puhunan naman niya eh smarts and court sense to compensate for the lack of athleticism and SPUNK. Yun ang meron si Monfort na wala kay Juami (as of now).

I was surprised by Abdul's 2nd round performance in last year's UAAP, too. But dyan din magaling ang ibang mga coaches natin. Magaling magtago ng alas at magaling bumulaga. Isa yan sa mga na-master ni coach Pido.

genom222
03-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I would like to end the discussions regarding the NCAA/UAAP policy and the prevailing practice of many of our collegiate basketball teams regarding the hiring of imports (mercenaries or othetwise). Unang-una, most of us here, im sure, are helpless pagdating sa bagay na yan at dagdag unwanted stress lang yan. What i've posted about it are purely my personal sentiments only and i've no plans whatsoever to go all-out and mag-Noynoying just to prove my point.

And about dun sa mga football and volleyball teams ng UP at Baste na nakalamang dahil sa pagkuha ng imports, ang masasabi ko lang dun eh deadma lang naman kasi ang madlang-people sa mga sports na yan. Sa basketball lang talaga baliw ang Republika ng Pilipinas at doon din sila maraming alam at opinyon...parang tayo.

I agree. Thanks for answering our inquiries Coach and for stimulating our basketball-crazy brains ;D

coach_of_steel
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM

I agree. Thanks for answering our inquiries Coach and for stimulating our basketball-crazy brains ;D

Salamat din sa walang sawa ninyong pagtangkilik dito sa "blockbuster" na thread ko. ;)

Thank you for keeping me company for almost a year now.

jv3
03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Coach, san po ba makikita ang schedule ng d-league ngayon? Thanks in advance. ;)

Nen
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Ganun parin si Juami when we played them. Ang kulang sa batang ito, in my opinion, eh athleticism. Ang puhunan naman niya eh smarts and court sense to compensate for the lack of athleticism and SPUNK. Yun ang meron si Monfort na wala kay Juami (as of now).

I was surprised by Abdul's 2nd round performance in last year's UAAP, too. But dyan din magaling ang ibang mga coaches natin. Magaling magtago ng alas at magaling bumulaga. Isa yan sa mga na-master ni coach Pido.

Thanks iron coach and easter!
But UST still needs another big man to support abdul. Napansin ko kasi when abdul is sitting.. both offense and defense of the team suffers. I hope their two new big men will fill in the shoes.

easter
03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks as well Nen.

When UST played Ateneo in the final four last season, I thought this was going to be a potentially tough game for the Blue Eagles and it indeed was. Unlike other UAAP teams UST has the most consistent three point shooting and with the addition of Abdul that weapon becomes even more dangerous. As Abdul gave Slaughter different post moves, Ateneo tightened inside and when they did UST's dangerous shooters got into the action almost taking the rug out of the Blue Eagles.

In the last time Ironcoach's UE won against Ateneo, Ironcoach also used his great outside shooters to put that game away. I say UST has better shooters but Ironcoach's team is more unpredictable than UST and can run better and prevent Ateneo from setting up their defenses.

Coach ito lang ang obserbasyon ko I don't presume of knowing your real game plan for that match.

coach_of_steel
03-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Coach, san po ba makikita ang schedule ng d-league ngayon? Thanks in advance. ;)

Log-in to: pbadleague.com.ph

coach_of_steel
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks as well Nen.

When UST played Ateneo in the final four last season, I thought this was going to be a potentially tough game for the Blue Eagles and it indeed was. Unlike other UAAP teams UST has the most consistent three point shooting and with the addition of Abdul that weapon becomes even more dangerous. As Abdul gave Slaughter different post moves, Ateneo tightened inside and when they did UST's dangerous shooters got into the action almost taking the rug out of the Blue Eagles.

In the last time Ironcoach's UE won against Ateneo, Ironcoach also used his great outside shooters to put that game away. I say UST has better shooters but Ironcoach's team is more unpredictable than UST and can run better and prevent Ateneo from setting up their defenses.

Coach ito lang ang obserbasyon ko I don't presume of knowing your real game plan for that match.

Well, in my 2 years of coaching in the UAAP, i've won over all my opponents at least twice. Eto yung win-loss standings ko against the 7 other schools in 2 seasons:

ADMU 2-5
FEU 3-3
UST 2-2
NU. 2-2
AdU. 3-1
DLSU. 3-1
UP. 4-0
--------------
19-14

But at the end of the day, my gameplans & stategies did proved to be lacking in 1 key ingredient: it didn't master the art of kissing-
ass. It wasn't well-versed in the act of playing politics. Coaching for a team with too many invisible hands wanting to strangle me (or my boss/best friend), im sure even my coaching clinics at Duke University, University of North Carolina & Stanford or even a ton of scouting reports, still won't be able to beat the cancer thats tearing it apart. As you can all see with your very own eyes, the cancer has finally become terminal.

In short, the shit had finally hit the fan.

easter
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
^ Coach it seems you did well against the pressing defense of DLSU in just coaching 2 seasons in the UAAP. Why do you think you succeeded against them almost immediately while others had a hard time adjusting to the press?

coach_of_steel
03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
^ Coach it seems you did well against the pressing defense of DLSU in just coaching 2 seasons in the UAAP. Why do you think you succeeded against them almost immediately while others had a hard time adjusting to the press?

Well, aside from my vaunted press-break (ha-ha), don't forget that most of my boys at that time used to play under the stewardship of coach Dindo Pumaren and his press was almost a clone as that of his brother Franz. And coach Dindo Pumaren was also the coach of DLSU in my 2nd season.

Siguro gamay na ng mga bata ko ang press nila.

sk8frk
03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Coach sa tingin mo sinong mga underrated HS basketball players ang magiging magaling na college players?

coach_of_steel
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Coach sa tingin mo sinong mga underrated HS basketball players ang magiging magaling na college players?

To be honest, aside from Jeron Teng of Xavier School, i don't know or am not familiar with any high school basketball player in the country. I haven't even seen Jeron Teng in full action except for that 1 time late in 2010 when UE had a Fr. Martin's (yata) game in 1 of the 2 SBC Gym then Xavier was playing in the other gym.

The only high school game that i've watched (partially) was game 2 of the NCAA (Juniors) Finals in 2009. I was trying to recruit Oda Tampus at that time.

Kaya sir, hindi ako authority to answer your question. But thanks for taking time out to post your question here.

coach_of_steel
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Duel At High Noon in the D-League tomorrow at the SJ Arena. Its gonna be a dogfight between my Boracay Rum Waves vs coach Pido Jarencio's Pacific Pipes Steelmasters. I don't understand why after a dozen years in this biz, i would still feel my nerves acting up in just our 2nd game of a conference.

Maybe its because since we lost our 1st game (vs Cebuana Lhuillier Gems), i'll be facing the specter of going 0-2 to start a tournament again after almost 2 years. In the 2010 UAAP, i got out of the gate at 0-5 and the stigma i still carry with me up to this day.

From Sunday to Wednesday last week, we started our preparation with team building activities in Baguio City. We hit the track oval at Teacher's Camp, shot a lot of hoops and walked-thru our defensive & offensive sets at the Abanao covered court and closed-down a downtown gym facility for a few hours so the boys could lift weights.

In our team building pow-wows, i allowed each and every team member, including long-time UE but now discarded utility man,
Mang Rene, to voice out all their concerns regarding our team & also their perceived antidote on how to remedy any loopholes, if there are any. Overall, it as a dredging of the state of minds and state of emotions.

We got back late Wednesday, and after a day-off, we hit practice right away on Friday beginning with our 8am strengthening regimens at SPARQ-FEU (we go there on M-W-F's) followed by our daily on-court practices from 11-2pm.

The following day, a Saturday, our regimen started very early beginning with the PBA's Run For A Cause program at 5:30am. My boys (including my coaching staff & utility guys) ran 5 kilometers alongside cancer patients and regular basketball fans around Tiendesitas/J. Vargas/Ortigas Ave. area while our management gave a small donation to the charity.

And as if that 5 kilometer jog from 5:30-6:30am wasn't enough for 1 day, after a power breakfast of bulalo and rice at Hosena's along Kalentong, we still showed-up for a pre-arranged tune-up game vs the JRU Heavy Bombers at 9am. I had some guys cramping-up by halftime but i guess its all part & parcel of making soldiers out of pampered dreamers.

Then on Sunday(yesterday), it was shootaround/walk-thru/preparation day at the game venue(The Arena). It was back to regular practice today but most of the time was spent on sit-down discussions and on the scouting report. Have we covered all the bases just to win 1 solitary game, and against a not so highly-touted team in the league?? The day of reckoning is tomorrow.

And yes, instead of feeling tired after our routine the last 9 days, i feel nervous. 12 years in this biz and everything that i've been thru and i feel nervous...AND I LOVE IT!!

coach_of_steel
03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
We lost again today ( by 2 points on a last-second jumper ) and somehow, after all these years in the biz, it still stings. After trailing our opponents the whole game, we came back and even led by 3 points with less than a minute left in the ballgame. Then the inexperience, or poor orientation on the game's rudiments befell my boys.

Thrice, I had to restrain myself from a smashing a monoblock stool inside the locker room after the game. I thought to myself, what for? But all the pent-up frustrations, i had to hold in inside me. Hirap ng feeling but tulad ng gasgas na linya, kelangang mag-move on.

It was, honestly, a winnable game. Its either the opponent's luck or my boys' stupidity that did us in. I ain't gonna carry this cross alone. After all, i've been in this biz for so long. I believe that from now on, im entitled.

naz-T
03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Bawi nalang next game coach. Disgrasya lang

coach_of_steel
03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Bawi nalang next game coach. Disgrasya lang

Yun nga eh. Pero sana kami nalang yung nakaka-disgrasya kesa yung kami ang biktima ng disgrasya. ;)

Ang nakakapag-patibay lang sakin nito eh yung kung sino pa ang pinaka-nasaktan at ang pinaka-masama ang loob, siya parin ang dapat na unang maka-unawa at magpa-kalma ng sitwasyon. Kung di ka pa mabaliw niyan after a while eh ewan ko na.

After every painful loss is the feeling of wanting to quit coz it seems like you are just doing your heart a disfavor. And then the realization that the only way for the pain to subside is to get back up on the saddle and compete once more. You'll then find out that this job is not for the faint of heart.

Para lang ito sa mga tunay na Mandirigma.

redlion123
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM
coach na mention niyo dati na kelangan ang team owner eh pasinsiyoso at mahal ang basketball..ano nangyari sa tanduay sa pba? bat parang di gaanon ata ka pasinsiyoso yung team owners di tulad ngayon?

coach_of_steel
03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
coach na mention niyo dati na kelangan ang team owner eh pasinsiyoso at mahal ang basketball..ano nangyari sa tanduay sa pba? bat parang di gaanon ata ka pasinsiyoso yung team owners di tulad ngayon?

Anmg problema naman sa Tanduay Rhumasters noon eh pulitika in our own backyard. Si Mr. Bong Tan ang bumuo ng team na yon pero kala-unan eh marami na ang gustong maki-sawsaw. Sa kasu-sulsol sa chairman namin na ama ni boss Bong, ayon at ipina-benta ang team after just 3 years of participation sa PBA. Wala ng nagawa ang anak.

I'll have to admit that boss Bong did have his moments of immature fits with matching knee-jerk and hot-tempered outbursts here & there. But you've got to also understand that here was a 32 year old PBA team owner at that time. Full of fire & competitive spirit from within. And backing down or being magnanimous just wasn't in his system yet at that point in time.

But i also couldn't blame the man either. The PBA also did screw him up once too often. Ang masaklap lang was we lost the team. Pero in principle, you'll have to admire my boss also. At that time, he was the only class in that act.

LION
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Coach, does Bong Tan have any plans of going back to the PBA this time with a team that he exclusively owns?

Surely, you will be a very big influence if and when that materializes. :)

coach_of_steel
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Tanduay got screwed with the Sonny Alvarado fiasco. Alvarado was picked from the rookie draft pool. The PBA, at that time, should've screened its Fil-for applicants. Its not as if Alvarado was a Tanduay direct-hire like Davonn Harp & Mick Pennisi of Red Bull or Asi Taulava of TNT (formerly Mobiline) or Danny Seigle of SMC.

In the 3rd conference of 2000, the PBA fined Tanduay 1 Million Pesos for every game that Eric Menk & Rudy Hatfield shall set foot on the playing court until they can produce further documents proving their Filipino lineage.

Menk & Hatfield played 11 games while working on those documents, Tanduay got fined 11 Million Pesos all in all, Menk & Hatfield both even became national players for the Philippine National Team after a little over a year, the PBA didn't return Tanduay's 11 Million Pesos anymore. Did we hear boss Bong cry about it at all?

Nung na-proved eventually yung pagka-Pinoy nung dalawa, what the point of not returning the fine? Pero its all in the past. Nagamit din malamang yang issue about sa iwinaldas na 11 Million Pesos ng ganun-ganun lang sa chairman na maaaring nakagatong din upang mapag-pasyahan na i-disband nalang ang team.

coach_of_steel
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Coach, does Bong Tan have any plans of going back to the PBA this time with a team that he exclusively owns?

Surely, you will be a very big influence if and when that materializes. :)

Honestly, being a basketball coach, i would love nothing but for boss Bong to rejoin the PBA for my career's sake. But if i were to be wearing a team owner's hat instead, why would i wanna join that circus?

With the SMC & MVP companies lording it over everything there, yung garapalang paglabag sa salary cap, yung mga kahina-hinalang trading of players, yung mga conduit teams to hide (halata naman) direct trades among sister teams..who needs that kind of stress?

Wala nalang talaga mapag-balingan itong basketball-crazy republic natin kaya nilalamon nalang rin pati ang mga circus sa PBA. Ang nakaka-hanga dyan eh yung heroism ng Rain or Shine at Alaska. Napaka-lalim ng pasensya nila. Or talagang hilig lang rin talaga at walang pakialam sa ibang mga issues.

joelex
03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Have you had experiences dealing with players who you thought were selling out / point shaving? How do you notice or deal with it , if ever? In todays game, how prevalent is it?

coach_of_steel
03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Have you had experiences dealing with players who you thought were selling out / point shaving? How do you notice or deal with it , if ever? In todays game, how prevalent is it?

Mahirap patunayan yan. You can only coach a game without distracting yourself with the notion that one or two or three or four of our so called TEAM member(s) is/are portraying the role of Judas on the whole team/organization.

Back when i was still coaching in college, I thought that i was able to put in enough time in discussing with whole team about the nuisance, the potential, the temptation & the moral issues revolving around game-fixing.

In just my 1st few months of coaching in college, i vowed to openly discuss about it with all my players every now & then rather than sweeping the issue under the rug and pretend that it doesn't exist.

True or not, Mike Cortez, Paolo Orbeta, Bonbon Custodio, JR Gerilla & Andy Barroca did happen & captured every basketball-loving individual's fancy & imagination. The Mac Baracael assasination attempt left a lot of unanswered questions too. And i can only surmise that it could be just another case of a tragic love story.

coach_of_steel
04-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Wala talagang nag-post dito on April Fool's Day ah. Talagang nilaktawan ang araw na yan. But i guess thats ok. Or the last laugh might be on you. ;)

Pati nga ako umiwas eh. :)

duphaR007
04-02-2012, 07:36 AM
coach when you were playing for DLSU, who were your teammates? what position did you play in college? how come you didn't consider a pro career in basketball?

coach_of_steel
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I never played college ball. I did tryout for FEU in 1983, DLSU in 1985 and SBC in 1987. FEU was practicing at the FEU quadrangle(outdoor tsaka bato yung court) at that time, 6-8am daily. Sina Jack Chua at Pablo Javier ang mga coaches nun. Players included Glen Capacio, Jack Tanuan, Romanoto Roa & Ricky Ang.

I've already been told that i was gonna make the team pero nung lumipat sila ng practice venue to the Herdis Gym along Airport Road, hindi na ako sumipot pa after going there once. Ang layo tsaka sobrang aga eh. One of the team managers then was Mr. Danny Glenmore of Glenmore Shoes. He also invited to play for another school that he was managing, the NCBA Wildcats. When i informed by dad about it, he told na huwag nalang daw ako mag-aral kung dun lang ako pupunta.

Maganda rin ang triny-out ko for DLSU in 1985 but somehow, i got cut. My buddies on the team at that time included Dante Sapalo, Mike Huang, Joey Sta. Maria & Bimbo Mababa. We thought that i was gonna make the team pero hindi nga nagkaganon.

Lastly, i tried out for SBC in 1987 & actually made the team under coach Eddie Pacheco. Iba nalang nga ang circumstances nun
since i was already married then. Kasabayan ko nun sina Lauchengco, Alamares, Escobar, De Joya, Franco Juan & Calvin Millado. Madalas maki-sabay sa akin nun si Robert Sison who lives just behind the now, SM Centerpoint.

3 days before the opening of the National Seniors Basketball Tournament, i was in a long line queing at the window of the SBC Registrar for enrollment. All the time, my mind & heart was caught between playing college ball and playing my role as a husband and a family man to my new wife and would-be family.

Nung umpisa akong pumila to be enrolled, nasa mga pang-25 ako sa pila. Habang pumipila, tuwing lilingon ako sa aking kanan eh nakikita ko yung gate palabas ng SBC. Naglalaro na ang mga consequences sa utak ko nun since may asawa na nga ako nun. Nung down to 3 nalang yung pila, somehow, i just walked away. Na-feel ko na hindi na tama na mag-basketball player pa ako dahil nga may asawa na ako.

Nakakatawa nga since 5 years later, magkaka-hiwalay rin lang pala kami ng ex-wife ko.

coach_of_steel
04-02-2012, 09:17 AM
coach when you were playing for DLSU, who were your teammates? what position did you play in college? how come you didn't consider a pro career in basketball?

I had my 1st car when i turned 18 & started to smoke and drink as soon as i turned 20 years old. The weekly allowance that i get from my dad was P800 (1983-1987) which was already big at that time. When i transfered to DLSU in 1985, hindi ako nagsu-suot ng RTW or t-shirts and jeans. All my school outfits eh mostly gawa ni Bambi Ramos. No sneakers for me too. Only Sperry Top-Siders(assorted colors), Sebago Penny-Loafers or Espadrilles. My profs used to call me GQ. Kahit inside the classroom eh suot ko parin ang Ray Ban Wayfarer ko.

Life was so good then. It dawned on me na waste of time maging basketball player. All those time inside the practice court and those time spent on team functions. There was another world to conquer. I was too young to waste my time.

LION
04-02-2012, 09:23 AM
I never played college ball. I did tryout for FEU in 1983, DLSU in 1985 and SBC in 1987. FEU was practicing at the FEU quadrangle(outdoor tsaka bato yung court) at that time, 6-8am daily. Sina Jack Chua at Pablo Javier ang mga coaches nun. Players included Glen Capacio, Jack Tanuan, Romanoto Roa & Ricky Ang.

I've already been told that i was gonna make the team pero nung lumipat sila ng practice venue to the Herdis Gym along Airport Road, hindi na ako sumipot pa after going there once. Ang layo tsaka sobrang aga eh. One of the team managers then was Mr. Danny Glenmore of Glenmore Shoes. He also invited to play for another school that he was managing, the NCBA Wildcats. When i informed by dad about it, he told na huwag nalang daw ako mag-aral kung dun lang ako pupunta.

Maganda rin ang triny-out ko for DLSU in 1985 but somehow, i got cut. My buddies on the team at that time included Dante Sapalo, Mike Huang, Joey Sta. Maria & Bimbo Mababa. We thought that i was gonna make the team pero hindi nga nagkaganon.

Lastly, i tried out for SBC in 1987 & actually made the team under coach Eddie Pacheco. Iba nalang nga ang circumstances nun
since i was already married then. Kasabayan ko nun sina Lauchengco, Alamares, Escobar, De Joya, Franco Juan & Calvin Millado. Madalas maki-sabay sa akin nun si Robert Sison who lives just behind the now, SM Centerpoint.

3 days before the opening of the National Seniors Basketball Tournament, i was in a long line queing at the window of the SBC Registrar for enrollment. All the time, my mind & heart was caught between playing college ball and playing my role as a husband and a family man to my new wife and would-be family.

Nung umpisa akong pumila to be enrolled, nasa mga pang-25 ako sa pila. Habang pumipila, tuwing lilingon ako sa aking kanan eh nakikita ko yung gate palabas ng SBC. Naglalaro na ang mga consequences sa utak ko nun since may asawa na nga ako nun. Nung down to 3 nalang yung pila, somehow, i just walked away. Na-feel ko na hindi na tama na mag-basketball player pa ako dahil nga may asawa na ako.

Nakakatawa nga since 5 years later, magkaka-hiwalay rin lang pala kami ng ex-wife ko.

Hahahaha. Yun yung first batch ng Red Lions coach na halos puro pogi/models mga players. It was known as the all-pogi team. Walang naipanalo kahit isang game pero lahat ng babaeng estudyante kahit mga kalaban sa Red Lions kumakampi. ;D Kaya ka naman pala nakuha sa team. ;D

Mala Don Johnson pala ang porma mo nun ah.

coach_of_steel
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Haha! Hit na hit nga nung mga time na yon ang Miami Vice kaya nagpupumilit mag-Sonny Crockett kahit sa attire man lang. Pati nga yung 1982 Mitsubishi Galant ko nun eh pilit kong binihisan para mag-mukhang Ferrari to no avail. Na-uso pa nun yung walang tint yung car windows kaya kahit na maayos at bago pa ang mga car tint nun, pinatatanggal yon makasabay lang sa uso.
Ang init tuloy! Haha!

james_hunt
04-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Haha! Hit na hit nga nung mga time na yon ang Miami Vice kaya nagpupumilit mag-Sonny Crockett kahit sa attire man lang. Pati nga yung 1982 Mitsubishi Galant ko nun eh pilit kong binihisan para mag-mukhang Ferrari to no avail. Na-uso pa nun yung walang tint yung car windows kaya kahit na maayos at bago pa ang mga car tint nun, pinatatanggal yon makasabay lang sa uso.
Ang init tuloy! Haha!

Pareho pala tayong naka Galant sa La Salle Coach! Ako 1980 model na green, no tint at naka minilites na mags! Magaganda auto sa Taft talaga! Hehe. Naka tambay lang sa Syfu's ako nun kaya after two terms pinadala na ako ng dad ko sa America kesa mag kalat dito! Hahaha. Entry 85 ka din pala. :)

coach_of_steel
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Ang init tuloy! Haha!

Pareho pala tayong naka Galant sa La Salle Coach! Ako 1980 model na green, no tint at naka minilites na mags! Magaganda auto sa Taft talaga! Hehe. Naka tambay lang sa Syfu's ako nun kaya after two terms pinadala na ako ng dad ko sa America kesa mag kalat dito! Hahaha. Entry 85 ka din pala. :)

Yup. FAST 85. Bida naman ako dyan sa LSAL. Same body na ba ang 1980 Galant sa 1982?? My 1st car was a 1978 Mitsubishi Galant Super Saloon, a hand me down from my dad. I think magka-ibang variant na yung 1980 sa 1981.

I bought Pirelli tires 50series with Enkei rims for the car pero masyadong maliit tignan. I eventually replaced them with TOYO tiires 60series instead. The world was too young for low-profile tires then although they looked good sa mga Ford Laser Hatchback, Toyota Corolla Liftback and Mitsubishi Mirage hanggang Toyota Starlet.

highfidelity
04-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Coach, for you, ano ang ideal height para sa bawat posisyon sa basketball?

coach_of_steel
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Coach, for you, ano ang ideal height para sa bawat posisyon sa basketball?

Its not the size of a man but the size of the heart of a man that counts. Ang importante eh yung galing ng bawat player sa bawat posisyon.

redlion123
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Coach pano mo tinuturu ang puso at tapang sa player? pano ka mag instill ng winning attitude kung kulelat kayo? hindi ba kayo nagkakaasaran pag puro talo? l

coach_of_steel
04-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Coach pano mo tinuturu ang puso at tapang sa player? pano ka mag instill ng winning attitude kung kulelat kayo? hindi ba kayo nagkakaasaran pag puro talo? l

Kelangan ang tender, love & care at hindi pwede ang puro galit. Non-stop din dapat ang pagre-remind kung ano ang gustong ma-achieve at kung ano ang pwedeng mangyari kapag may ma-achieve.

Kailangang i-rally ang tropa para sa iisang common cause. Kapag kulelat naman, kelangang ipukpok sa mga ulo ng players na walang susuko at walang gi-give up. At ipaalam na sama-sama ang buong team through thick and thin and come what may.

After a bad loss, just like what happened to my team today, i left nalang right after the final buzzer to further avoid saying things to the troop that i might later on regret. Lick your wounds nalang & try to recover emotionally right away then get back on the drawing board and hope for the best.

highfidelity
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Its not the size of a man but the size of the heart of a man that counts. Ang importante eh yung galing ng bawat player sa bawat posisyon.

Ahh ganun pala coach. This leads to my follow up question; Whenever you're recruiting, do you go for the best player available, or do you pursue the player/s that will address the problems/needs of the team?

Also, what do you think of NCAA champ Kentucky's fabulous freshmen, Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

red_engr1987
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Ahh ganun pala coach. This leads to my follow up question; Whenever you're recruiting, do you go for the best player available, or do you pursue the player/s that will address the problems/needs of the team?

Also, what do you think of NCAA champ Kentucky's fabulous freshmen, Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

ironcoach - finally Coach John Calipari winning an NCAA (National Champion 2012) for Kentucky erasing the embarassing moments in his career losing the 2008 NCAA finals against Kansas when he is the Head Coach of Memphis. Memphis is leading by a double digit margin 3mins plus on the game caught by Kansas miraculous rally at the final buzzer. At the end of the season he moved to Kentucky build the team got what he want in his coaching career a "CHAMPIONSHIP".

i would like to see you someday holding on to a championship trophy in PBA-D League or in a College Basketball to complete your storyline, our dear friend here in Gameface. The champion IRONCoach the Coach_of_Steel

GOODLUCK AND GOD BLESS

coach_of_steel
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM

I would always go for the best player(s) available. Coming up with a system that will make the team win would be much easier if you have good players in your line-up rather than trying to come up with a system to camouflage your team's deficiencies.

I haven't been following US NCAA so i couldn't really come with a good assessment of the 2 players from Kentucky although i've read that they're good enough to become NBA lottery picks. I will trust what i've read for now.

coach_of_steel
04-04-2012, 04:24 PM

ironcoach - finally Coach John Calipari winning an NCAA (National Champion 2012) for Kentucky erasing the embarassing moments in his career losing the 2008 NCAA finals against Kansas when he is the Head Coach of Memphis. Memphis is leading by a double digit margin 3mins plus on the game caught by Kansas miraculous rally at the final buzzer. At the end of the season he moved to Kentucky build the team got what he want in his coaching career a "CHAMPIONSHIP".

i would like to see you someday holding on to a championship trophy in PBA-D League or in a College Basketball to complete your storyline, our dear friend here in Gameface. The champion IRONCoach the Coach_of_Steel

GOODLUCK AND GOD BLESS

You've been kind and supportive these past few years and i would like to thank you for it. You have also been a great sport with all my posts, both pros and cons, with regards to the state of affairs of your alma mater's basketball program. It is supporters like you( about a handful, i suppose) that have kept the flame flickering in my soul that one day, together, we can still lead your university's
basketball team to the promiseland.

coach_of_steel
04-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Hope everyone had their moments of fun, rest & reflections these past couple of days. It woulld've been nice if everybody from this country, or from all over the world for that matter, were able to "fullcourt press" a vow to rekindle their fate in Christianity.

We all can always "rebound" from mistakes in the past and give an "assist" to mankind for a better tomorrow. Happy Easter, Hoops-Scoopers!!!

scbprexy98
04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Hope everyone had their moments of fun, rest & reflections these past couple of days. It woulld've been nice if everybody from this country, or from all over the world for that matter, were able to "fullcourt press" a vow to rekindle their fate in Christianity.

We all can always "rebound" from mistakes in the past and give an "assist" to mankind for a better tomorrow. Happy Easter, Hoops-Scoopers!!!

Long time lurker ako dito sa blockbuster thread mo coach!
Maligayang pasko din coach.
God bless.

coach_of_steel
04-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Long time lurker ako dito sa blockbuster thread mo coach!

Maligayang pasko din coach.
God bless.

God Bless din sayo. Salamat sa pag-aaksaya ng panahon mo dito sa walang kakwenta-kwentang thread ko. ;)

cheeze
04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
God Bless din sayo. Salamat sa pag-aaksaya ng panahon mo dito sa walang kakwenta-kwentang thread ko. ;)

Coach, matagal na rin akong nagbabasa dito sa thread mo. hindi walang kwenta mga post dito. Tunay na nalalaman namin ang mga nangyayari sa labas ng basketball court. Maraming salamat.

happy easter coach! :)

coach_of_steel
04-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Coach, matagal na rin akong nagbabasa dito sa thread mo. hindi walang kwenta mga post dito. Tunay na nalalaman namin ang mga nangyayari sa labas ng basketball court. Maraming salamat.

Wow! How come you long-time lurkers just browse through this thread but never bothered to post anything or any questions at all?

BTW, i had crossed the fence to the Pinoy Exchange PBA Trades & Transactions thread these past 2 days after a post by a certain gentleman over there just got my attention and lured me to post some defenses & clarifications regarding Tanduay's (and its owners) short-lived but controversial stint in the PBA. Feel free to check them out.

james_hunt
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Wow! How come you long-time lurkers just browse through this thread but never bothered to post anything or any questions at all?

BTW, i had crossed the fence to the Pinoy Exchange PBA Trades & Transactions thread these past 2 days after a post by a certain gentleman over there just got my attention and lured me to post some defenses & clarifications regarding Tanduay's (and its owners) short-lived but controversial stint in the PBA. Feel free to check them out.

Coach, wag mo masyadong seryosohin ang mga posts sa PEX at baka magsala ka ng 'di oras. :D don't waste your time reading shit from a dumpsite. My 2 cents. :)

coach_of_steel
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM

Coach, wag mo masyadong seryosohin ang mga posts sa PEX at baka magsala ka ng 'di oras. :D don't waste your time reading
shit from a dumpsite. My 2 cents. :)

On the contrary, and in all fairness, naging matalino at open-minded ang mga discussions na napasukan ko doon. Yung mga nag-post ng mga opinions were also accomodating, kind & cordial.

Nag-tatlong isip talaga muna ako bago mag-post doon pero sadyang hindi ko lang mapigilan. I was already anticipating to be bashed and ridiculed after posting some facts pero walang nangyaring ganun, to my relief. May mga nagpa-salamat pa nga sa mga clarifications at paglilinaw ko ng mga misguided or wrong actuations.

It was all good, i should say.

coach_of_steel
04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I have just received an e-mail informing me that gameface will be shut-down for 5 days (beginning at 11:30pm tonite) for some improvements & upgrades to be done with this site. I guess i'll be chatting with you guys again beginning April 13 na uli.

Stay safe, happy and healthy, my dear readers. Keep me in your prayers, too. See ya!

Joescoundrel
04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
^ Coach, how do you like (or not like) the new Gameface? We would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

LION
04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
You're assuming he was able to log-in and did not get banned like what happened to me when I tried to log-in. :-p

Wang-Bu
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
^ Akala ko ako lang ang "banned"...:-p

LION
04-24-2012, 01:55 PM
To be "banned" is "in" nowadays ahihihihihi!!!!

izon
04-25-2012, 05:40 AM
You're assuming he was able to log-in and did not get banned like what happened to me when I tried to log-in. :-p

It happened to me too. I lost my password. There was even an instruction on how to change your password by going to an instruction point but it was not there.

abcdef
04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Coach nasaan na po kayo? Kakapanibago na walang kwentuhan dito sa tambayan niyo. . . . :)

ironcoach
04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Whew!!! Nakapag-log in din finally. Grabe! Pahirapan sobra dun palang sa pag-enter ng Password. Well, im here. What can i say pa??

Honestly, i don't like this Gameface new-look at at all. But maybe its just me. Ika nga, "you don't teach old dogs new tricks". :) But we'll see. Maybe sanayan lang yan. Wouldn't really know for sure unless we'll give a few days of "road-test" or "break-in".

The important thibg is...We're Back!!!!

Sam Miguel
04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Ironcoach, what do you think of Peter Jun Jimon? I'm sure you must have played against him back in the PBL. Why did it take so long for his star to shine? Hilaw pa ba siya when he was a fifth-round draft pick back in 2001?

ironcoach
04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Ironcoach, what do you think of Peter Jun Jimon? I'm sure you must have played against him back in the PBL. Why did it take so long for his star to shine? Hilaw pa ba siya when he was a fifth-round draft pick back in 2001?

Was it in 2001 when he apllied for the PBA Draft? As far as i can recall, he was the MBA's 2001 Discovery of the Year Awardee while playing for the Davao Eagles. Nagkalaban kami nung 2002 when he was playing for the Eagles (teamates niya sina Billy Mamaril and Jondan Salvador) while i was coaching the Pangasinan Waves (siyempre nanalo kami :) ).

Nagkasama rin kami sa National Team dun sa Jones Cup in 2002. Kami ni Nash Racela ang mga assistant coaches ni coach Francis Rodriguez. Magaling na si Simon nun but medyo hilaw pa nga. But he would've been a good pick-up for any PBA teams na willing siyang i-nurture for a while until sa maging major contributor na siya ng team.

Fast forward to 2012, legit superstar na si Simon ngayon and nakapag-moved on narin yung mga coaches at team managers na bumay-pass sa kanya nun. Hindi man lang pinagsisihan na. It really takes a keen eye to be able to spot talents and iba rin yung proven na ang isang talent bago gagawan ng paraan kung paano makuha via trade or simply bilhin nalang. Destiny narin siguro ni PJ na hindi agad-agad mapasok ang PBA but ang importante, eh kung saan na ang narating ng career niya. Its not how one starts a race but how he finishes the race that matters.

ironcoach
04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Rich Alvarez was drafted ahead of James Yap just 8 years ago. I even reiterated to then-Shell team manager Bobby Kanapi how he would be commiting a big mistake in bypassing James. Adducul & Laure were drafted ahead of Harvey Carey, Sonny Thoss & Jimmy Alapag. Gary David was selected with the 10th pick back in 2004 so there were 7 other guys, aside from Alvarez & Yap, that were picked ahead of El Granada.

Tubid was selected with the 16th pick, ahead of 15th pick Francis Mercado who never played a single PBA game. Fonacier was chosen 14th, ahead of 13th pick Al Magpayo who, again never played a single PBA game. And for sure marami pang ibang insidente ng sablay at ingenius na drafting stories.

Sa-sampung teams, iilang choices, nagkakamali pa. Nobody's perfect. Lahat nagkakamali. Tao lang.

red_engr1987
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
@ ironcoach - parang nakita ko anino ni Coach Al Francis Chua sa PBA games not sure kung anong team i am glad his back in the limelight kahit na shadow lang nung head coach.

Btw si Coach Francis Rodriguez eh once upon a time ay naging Head Coach ng UE Red Warriors after his successful stint sa San Sebastian Stags. I think he won several NCAA Championship sa MBT, I remember he is also the Head Coach of the National Team. With his credentials parang wala rin nangyari nung sya Head Coach ng UE Red Warriors (i mean di rin nag champ sa UAAP). Not sure what happened to his contract with UE during those days. After UE he resurfaced in MBA with Davao Eagles and some of his players are from UE RW :)

ironcoach
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
@ ironcoach - parang nakita ko anino ni Coach Al Francis Chua sa PBA games not sure kung anong team i am glad his back in the limelight kahit na shadow lang nung head coach.

Btw si Coach Francis Rodriguez eh once upon a time ay naging Head Coach ng UE Red Warriors after his successful stint sa San Sebastian Stags. I think he won several NCAA Championship sa MBT, I remember he is also the Head Coach of the National Team. With his credentials parang wala rin nangyari nung sya Head Coach ng UE Red Warriors (i mean di rin nag champ sa UAAP). Not sure what happened to his contract with UE during those days. After UE he resurfaced in MBA with Davao Eagles and some of his players are from UE RW :)

Correct me if im wrong but i was once told na ika-9th head coach na ako ng UE since their last UAAP championship in 1985. And so Jerry now makes it 10 mula 1985. If you do the Math, that is 10 head coaches for UE in the last 26 years or an average of 1 head coach per 2 1/2 years. At the rate its going, marami-raming head coach na nga ang dumaan at dadaan pa sa eskwelahan na yan, including Francis Rodriguez. Its just like Elizabeth Taylor changing husbands every now and then. :) Fickle-minded, so to speak. Or susceptible to and have a penchant for knee-jerk reactions. Kaya tuloy, knee-jerk din sa ilap dumating ng UAAP championship trophy.

Dapat siguro dyan ang palitan eh yung gumagawa ng desisyon regarding sa basketball affairs. Don't you think so?

ironcoach
04-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Correct me if im wrong but i was once told na ika-9th head coach na ako ng UE since their last UAAP championship in 1985. And so Jerry now makes it 10 mula 1985. If you do the Math, that is 10 head coaches for UE in the last 26 years or an average of 1 head coach per 2 1/2 years. At the rate its going, marami-raming head coach na nga ang dumaan at dadaan pa sa eskwelahan na yan, including Francis Rodriguez. Its just like Elizabeth Taylor changing husbands every now and then. :) Fickle-minded, so to speak. Or susceptible to and have a penchant for knee-jerk reactions. Kaya tuloy, knee-jerk din sa ilap dumating ng UAAP championship trophy.

Dapat siguro dyan ang palitan eh yung gumagawa ng desisyon regarding sa basketball affairs. Don't you think so?

red_engr1987
04-26-2012, 08:01 PM
assuming na correct yung info then the sequence will be as follows (please make the necessary correction) :

10. Jerry Codinera (2yrs contract) 7th place - 1st yr, ____- 2nd yr (my guess is 6th place or 7th place)
9. Lawrence - the ironcoach (2yrs contract) UAAP Finals-1st yr, 6th place - 2nd yr
8. Dindo Pumaren - 4yrs contract (14-0 and swept in the Finals by DLSU in his last year)
7. B. Zamar - 3yrs or 4 yrs contract (Yap & Artadi Era - can't get through with F4)
6. Itoy Esguerra - 1yr or 2 yrs (not sure)
5. Francis Rodriguez -
4. R. Nadurata

Jimmy Mariano - the Last UE RW Champion Coach
Filo Pumaren - won several championship after the great Coach, Coach Baby Dalupan
Baby Dalupan - UE Glory days under the leadership of the great Coach

The way i see things there will be no drastic change after Season 75, even the team end up in 6th or 7th place.
I know deep in my heart exactly what i mean :(

ironcoach
04-27-2012, 12:19 AM
assuming na correct yung info then the sequence will be as follows (please make the necessary correction) :

10. Jerry Codinera (2yrs contract) 7th place - 1st yr, ____- 2nd yr (my guess is 6th place or 7th place)
9. Lawrence - the ironcoach (2yrs contract) UAAP Finals-1st yr, 6th place - 2nd yr
8. Dindo Pumaren - 4yrs contract (14-0 and swept in the Finals by DLSU in his last year)
7. B. Zamar - 3yrs or 4 yrs contract (Yap & Artadi Era - can't get through with F4)
6. Itoy Esguerra - 1yr or 2 yrs (not sure)
5. Francis Rodriguez -
4. R. Nadurata

Jimmy Mariano - the Last UE RW Champion Coach
Filo Pumaren - won several championship after the great Coach, Coach Baby Dalupan
Baby Dalupan - UE Glory days under the leadership of the great Coach

The way i see things there will be no drastic change after Season 75, even the team end up in 6th or 7th place.
I know deep in my heart exactly what i mean :(

Si Pumaren 5 years, Zamar 3 yrs, Esguerra 1 year, Jimmy Mariano came before Esguerra and hindi yata siya yung coach nung 1985 & 1983. Si Nadurata yata yung champion coach both in '83 & '85.

Between the time of Nadurata in the mid-80's & Mariano in the late 90's, nagkaron pa ng Johnny Revilla, Rudy Soriano, if im not mistaken. Malamang nasa Google naman ang mga sagot dyan.

So if you're predicting that UE would either land 6th or 7th this season, sino kaya sa palagay mo ang magiging 8th placer??

ironcoach
04-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Read on Google: the coach of the UE champion team in 1982 is somebody named Agapito De Castro. Ahh! This one would've been a brain-bender of a question sa "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". Could he be a relative of Vice Kabayan?

Yan ang trivia if you're looking for one. One thing for sure though, 8 of us coaches that came after this guy...wala kaming binatbat sa kanya.

animo
04-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Boss Bong is not in charge with UE basketball?

ironcoach
04-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Boss Bong is not in charge with UE basketball?

Well, not anymore. The day they decided to replace me, he left with me. And Paul Lee, too. He did inform them (some school board and some school officials) that he'd stop getting involved if they should replace me, and so now, it is what it is.

red_engr1987
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Si Pumaren 5 years, Zamar 3 yrs, Esguerra 1 year, Jimmy Mariano came before Esguerra and hindi yata siya yung coach nung 1985 & 1983. Si Nadurata yata yung champion coach both in '83 & '85.

Between the time of Nadurata in the mid-80's & Mariano in the late 90's, nagkaron pa ng Johnny Revilla, Rudy Soriano, if im not mistaken. Malamang nasa Google naman ang mga sagot dyan.

So if you're predicting that UE would either land 6th or 7th this season, sino kaya sa palagay mo ang magiging 8th placer??

got this from PEX meron pala thread dun ng mga UAAP Coaches

UE RED WARRIORS HEAD COACH
Jimmy Mariano, champion teams of 1984-1985
Johnny Revilla 1986, 1992
Roehl Nadurata 1987-1990
Rudy Soriano 1991
Francis Rodriguez 1993-1997
Itoy Esguerra 1999-2000
David Zamar 2001-2003
Dindo Pumaren 2004-2008
Lawrence Chongson 2009-2010
Jerry Codinera 2011-2012

red_engr1987
04-27-2012, 09:29 PM

Roehl Nadurata 1987-1990
Rudy Soriano 1991
Itoy Esguerra 1999-2000
David Zamar 2001-2003
Dindo Pumaren 2004-2008
Jerry Codinera 2011-2012

ironcoach
04-28-2012, 12:46 AM

Roehl Nadurata 1987-1990
Rudy Soriano 1991
Itoy Esguerra 1999-2000
David Zamar 2001-2003
Dindo Pumaren 2004-2008
Jerry Codinera 2011-2012

Eh sino yung Agapito De Castro na UAAP champion coach daw nung 1982?? Esguerra coached UE in 2000 lang. I should know coz assistant coach ako nun. I believe Jimmy Mariano was the coach in 1998 & 1999. Freshmen year nina Artadi, Tubid, Booker, Shular, Estrada, Alminario & i think si Omar Ali. Sina Aldwyn Manubag & Bokbok Sotto nung 1998 yata pumasok. Tsaka yung Leo Villar.

red_engr1987
04-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Eh sino yung Agapito De Castro na UAAP champion coach daw nung 1982?? Esguerra coached UE in 2000 lang. I should know coz assistant coach ako nun. I believe Jimmy Mariano was the coach in 1998 & 1999. Freshmen year nina Artadi, Tubid, Booker, Shular, Estrada, Alminario & i think si Omar Ali. Sina Aldwyn Manubag & Bokbok Sotto nung 1998 yata pumasok. Tsaka yung Leo Villar.

this might help info from wikipidia

Coaching History (Season 67-74)

In Season 67, Dindo Pumaren led the Warriors to 8-6 win-loss record for the fourth spot in the Final Four, but were eliminated by the FEU Tamaraws.

In Season 68, Dindo Pumaren led the rookie-laden team of Warriors to a 10-4 record that tied the Ateneo Blue Eagles and La Salle Green Archers, but were eliminated in the Final Four round by the FEU Tamaraws.

In Season 69, Dindo Pumaren led the Warriors again to another Final Four spot with a record of 8-4, finishing the elimination round in second place. The Warriors, with a twice to beat advantage were eliminated by UST.

In Season 70, the Red Warriors achieved a record 14-0 sweep of the elimination round but lost in the Finals series against the De La Salle Green Archers. This was Dindo Pumaren's finest season as a coach in the UAAP.

In Season 72, Dindo Pumaren resigned as head coach and UE appointed Lawrence Chongson as the new head coach. Chongson led the Warriors to the UAAP Finals, by eliminating the second seeded FEU Tamaraws in their Final Four match-up. However, they lost to the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the Finals in 3 games.

In Season 73, UE failed to make it to the Final Four, with a record of 6-8 under Lawrence Chongson.

In Season 74, UE appointed Jerry Codinera as its new men's basketball head coach replacing Lawrence Chongson. Codinera is an alumnus of UE and was a PBA star.
Notable Coaches

Baby Dalupan - "The Maestro", Coach of the Red Warriors that gave them seven straight UAAP senior basketball titles, the longest championship streak in the UAAP. Grandslam coach in the Philippine Basketball Association
Agapito De Castro - Champion Coach of the 1982 UAAP Red Warriors (MVP Allan Caidic)
Roberto Flores
Itoy Esguerra
Johnny Revilla
Rudy Soriano
Filomeno "Pilo" Pumaren
Roehl Nadurata - The mentor of the great UE's Basketball players of the late 80's
Francis Rodriguez
Jaime Mariano
Boyzie Zamar - Former RP Team coach and coached Indonesian basketball clubs
Dindo Pumaren — UAAP Season 67 to 71. Pumaren was hired in 2004 as the head coach of the Red Warriors. He succeeded Boyzie Zamar and took over at the time that Paul Artadi and UAAP MVP James Yap left UE to play pro basketball in the PBA.
Jerry Codinera - Current head coach

red_engr1987
04-29-2012, 10:02 PM
INTERVIEW from Allan Caidic for FHM (this will give us an idea about Coach Agapito de Castro)

Allan Caidic
July 13, 2006 | 1061 views

INTERVIEW: Chrissy D. Icamina
PHOTOGRAPHY: Ocs Alvarez

UE Red Warriors, 1981-1986

What laurels did the Warriors achieve during your time?
On my second year in UE, 1982, nanalo na kami ng championship. I was the MVP that year, I was 19 then, second year college, tapos nag-championship ulit kami nung 1984-1985 season, so back-to-back titles yun. I got the MVP award again.

What was your most memorable game?
Lahat ng mga beses na nag-champion kami memorable, like nung ‘82, underdogs kami nun. But we beat UP, although during the eliminations they beat us twice. Nung ‘84 and ‘85 naman, same thing, UST was the favored team, twice-to-beat advantage sila nun, so we had to beat them twice to win the championship.

Who was your mentor at that time?
At that time our athletic director was Coach Baby Dalupan. He was the one who said “Get that guy, that lefty.” In 1982, in my second year, dun lang ako nabigyan ng exposure ni Coach Agapito de Castro. Ginamit niya ako as starter, dun na nag-umpisa yung streak ko. Coach Jimmy Mariano—coach namin nung mag back-to-back kami—I had good rapport with. Kaliwete rin siya, scorer din siya during his time. Nung nag-PBA ako naging coach ko rin siya.

What trademark move did you polish during your college years?
It’s funny kasi nung high school, I used to be the tall one among my teammates. So I used to play center. But when I tried out sa college team, dun ko narealize na yung height ko hindi pang-center. I ended up going to UE and I made an adjustment kaya unti-unti kong dinevelop yung outside shooting ko.

What do you think made you an essential part of the Warriors?
Ang naging goal ko sa team is to score. Luckily nung nag-championship, malaki ang na-contribute ko in winning that championship. I felt that I fulfilled my part.

Based on the above interview here is the conclusion
1982 - UE RW Champion Head Coach Agapito de Castro, during that time Baby Dalupan is the Athletic Director of UE.
I wonder why Coach de Castro put Caidic on the bench on his 1st yr (1981) and used him on his 2nd yr and end up MVP.

1984 - 1985 UE RW Back to Back Champion Head Coach Jimmy Mariano. The last UE Red Warriors Championship :)
Who will be the next UE RW Champion Coach???....... only God knows the answer
I hope UE Community will see it in our lifetime

ironcoach
04-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Basta ang lahat ng yan kwentuhan nalang, sir. It don't matter to me anymore. Im still trying to move on after being replaced sa UE. I gave it my heart & soul kaya of course masakit (mahapdi) siya. Its been more than a year now and all i wanted is to be able to move on. I lost a lot(there were people and episodes in my life that i took for granted coz i only prioritized my job at that time & im still paying for them until now) personally during those times and they're still haunting me.

Best of luck to your team and i wish them all the best. Im just hoping to survive the stigma that it had caused the other aspects of my life so i'll be able to breathe normally again. You can even forget that i was once your coach and all that i've achieved if thats what they all l want. They can even scratch those 2 years that i was there as if it didn't even happen.

Thank you for the memories and we can all go on with what's left of our lives. Goodbye UE. Thank you for your friendship and appreciation, Red Engr.

izon
05-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Pasenya na at nag-senti ako rito. I just felt cheated and betrayed tsaka kinimkim ko ito for a very longtime kaya nai-bulalas ko rito. If i only knew then what i know now...i would've acted on this differently as compared to what to i've actually done.

I had a girlfriend for 9 yrs prior to 2009 and i took her for granted as soon as i assumed the head coaching post at UE. At that time, my job & mission meant more to me than her so i didn't give importance to her needs and wants. I ended up losing her in the middle of 2010 not knowing that i'll be unwanted na also at UE a few months later.

I am dumbfounded and until today, pinagsi-sisihan ko ang aking miscalculation. I gave so much importance to something that didn't give importance to me in the end. I thought all along that i was smart. Time eventually proved that im stupid after all.

Ang sakit ! Wala na bang pagasang balikan ?

bchoter
05-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Wow! Thanks for the candor, coach. Pagsara ng bintana, siguradong may pintuang magbubukas ;)

On the lighter side, pwedeng pwede na ngang pang pelikula. Halos kumpletos rekados para sa isang block buster sa takilya. Yung happy ending nalang ang (hopefully) kasalukuyan ng nagaganap.... yung bagong leading lady ;)

LION
05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Wala na. She left for Australia while i was in UE's U.S. training back in 2010. She did inform me that she got married already late last year to a nice (im sure better than me) Filipini-Australian. I was also told that she gave birth recently.

Its all my undoing in the 1st place. I didn't show my face to her for a year till the day she left. People needs to be happy too and she just found a way to ease all her pain. She literally grew up with me. She was only 18 when she became my girl, and since her parents have their own separate families already by the time she turned 15, i was basically her only family...and i screwed up.

She was there with me through all my struggling years as a basketball coach since 2000 but by the time i hit the bigtime with my UAAP racket, i pushed her to the side thinking that she'll just be a distraction to the humongous task at hand. I did continue to shoulder all her monthly needs through ATM deposits and once in a while text messages but of course hindi enough ang mga yon.

The day she was about to the plane, i was on long distance begging her not to leave and that i will marry her as soon as i get back from the U.S. but apparently, huli na ang lahat. Na-karma ako in the end. I knew in my heart that i will never, ever find another girl quite like her anymore. And i've been living with the pain eversince.

We all commit mistakes. And we all deserve a second chance. You are basically a good man with a good heart, coach, and for that alone, I am pretty sure good things also await you. Cheers!!!!

duphaR007
05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
^^good luck coach. nakita ko pa kayo ng girlfriend mo sometime late last year ata sa Glorieta.

just tell her what your heart says.

lurkinggood
05-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Bossing, mawalang galang na lang. Baka naman pwedeng manood ka muna ng Mayweather-Cotto, sir. Sayang ang ticket. Pag ganyang nang-iiwan ang babae sir, hayaan mo na lang. Kung ukol, bubukol. Kung para sa yo talaga, para sa yo talaga. Kung hindi, hanap na lang uli ng iba. Maraming pa dyan na mas suitable sa yo, sir.

Off-topic: Anyway, Cotto ako sa laban. He's a heavy underdog but I think he has a good shot to upset Chicken Floyd.

LION
05-05-2012, 11:49 PM
You did the right thing, coach. Otherwise, you would have regretted not coming home soon enough. Whatever the outcome is, you still did the right thing. Inom na lang muna natin yan, coach.

If you will be able to convince her that you are now a different man, someone who now knows his priorities, then I believe there's a big chance that you will still end up together. A woman cannot just suddenly turn off the love switch.

james_hunt
05-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Coach,I know it's easier said than done, but, life goes on! 25 yrs old is way too young and might be hard to maintain for the long term...you said it best when you said you're too old for this shit! You're probably right. A relationship shouldn't have to be stressful, my 2 cents.

ironcoach
05-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Coach,I know it's easier said than done, but, life goes on! 25 yrs old is way too young and might be hard to maintain for the long term...you said it best when you said you're too old for this shit! You're probably right. A relationship shouldn't have to be stressful, my 2 cents.

This 25 year old already has a 4 1/2 years of history with me as compared to any 30's to 40's woman in the world. Yun ang hindi mapapantayan at mababayaran for the next couple of years. This one, kahit dumu-dumi ako sa banyo, she wouldn't mind na kahit maglabas-pasok pa siya. The hardest but maybe inevitable scenario of it all is to be starting all over again.

ironcoach
05-06-2012, 04:17 AM
This 25 year old already has a 4 1/2 years of history with me as compared to any 30's to 40's woman in the world. Yun ang hindi mapapantayan at mababayaran for the next couple of years. This one, kahit dumu-dumi ako sa banyo, she wouldn't mind na kahit maglabas-pasok pa siya. The hardest but maybe inevitable scenario of it all is to be starting all over again.

This thread has suddenly turned from Hoop-Scoops to Love Notes. Pasensya na po kayo.

james_hunt
05-06-2012, 11:00 AM
This thread has suddenly turned from Hoop-Scoops to Love Notes. Pasensya na po kayo.

Ayos lang coach. This is what makes this thread interesting...it's real!!

Balita ko si Grace Lee bakante na...mas bagay naman kayo kaysa kay Presidente. :D

ironcoach
05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Ayos lang coach. This is what makes this thread interesting...it's real!!

Balita ko si Grace Lee bakante na...mas bagay naman kayo kaysa kay Presidente. :D

She is a friend. But she ain't my type. Para lang ako dun sa mga masaya na sa Coach bags and not for those into Louis Vuitton or Hermes.

My last 2 big loves both came from humble beginnings. The 1st one hails from Irosin, Sorsogon (the one who left for Australia due to the heartaches and neglect that i've caused) while the current (if she should decide to come back to me) one is from La Paz, Tarlac.

Both girls didn't even finish college and were working either as a waitress or a cashier in a restobar when i met them. Pero dito ka sa mga uri ng babaeng ito maka-darama ng kakaibang klase ng pag-ibig.

JonarSabilano
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Kapit lang, Coach. May dadating at dadating din na tama para sa iyo, whether or not naging kayo na before, o makikilala mo pa lang.

admin
05-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Coach, did you go to Corinthian hills clubhouse yesterday before lunch? I think I saw but I was just not sure because of the color of your hair. You were already on the way down to the basement parking and I was actually just on my way up going to Santi's.

ironcoach
05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Coach, did you go to Corinthian hills clubhouse yesterday before lunch? I think I saw but I was just not sure because of the color of your hair. You were already on the way down to the basement parking and I was actually just on my way up going to Santi's.

I went there last Saturday and not yesterday. Musta?

ironcoach
05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Whats wrong with this new site? The number(counter) of posts and number of views aren't even moving.

ironcoach
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Sana hindi nalang in-upgrade. Parang naging disastrous tuloy.

animo
05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
coach, its about time to move on. easier said than done... but i know you can.... its just a matter of time.
if you can, stop discussing it. let the wound heal. the wound will not heal if you keep on removing the bandage. gets?
this is the time when you are vulnerable. spend time with TRUSTED friends.
lastly, go to where you are celebrated... and not tolerated.

btw, get into sports like jogging, swimming etc. endorphin you know...

animo
05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
A woman cannot just suddenly turn off the love switch.

man believe me.... they can :D

ironcoach
05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
man believe me.... they can :D

Im medyo ok na. 2 weeks of hell is enough for a journeyman like me. Its not to say that i've stopped hoping that she'll come back, its just that this time, the word "desperation" has ceased to exist in my vocabulary.

admin
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Whats wrong with this new site? The number(counter) of posts and number of views aren't even moving.

Coach, we'll look into this. Apologies. Thanks.

gameface_one
05-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Hi coach. Actually, there was only a delay in the reflection of the actual numbers because the settings were configured to reflect the new numbers every hour so as to save more on the server space and power. Kindly re-check again. Thanks.

ironcoach
05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Hi coach. Actually, there was only a delay in the reflection of the actual numbers because the settings were configured to reflect the new numbers every hour so as to save more on the server space and power. Kindly re-check again. Thanks.

Got it. Thanks.

bluewing
05-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Im medyo ok na. 2 weeks of hell is enough for a journeyman like me. Its not to say that i've stopped hoping that she'll come back, its just that this time, the word "desperation" has ceased to exist in my vocabulary.

astig ka talaga iron coach.

pero tama ang sinasabi ng matatanda nung araw--- maraming babae dyan. di mauubos yan.

pero kung talagang hindi mo makalimutan ang nakaraan, tandaan mo na lang ang advice ng isang wise man na nakausap ko noon: "e ano kung nagpakasal na yung chick? hindi naman nagsasara yon por que nag-asawa na."

bchoter
05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
^ sa madaling salita... hindi naghihilom ang sugat :D. Wag lang bethadine ang pag wash :p

ironcoach
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
astig ka talaga iron coach.

pero tama ang sinasabi ng matatanda nung araw--- maraming babae dyan. di mauubos yan.

pero kung talagang hindi mo makalimutan ang nakaraan, tandaan mo na lang ang advice ng isang wise man na nakausap ko noon: "e ano kung nagpakasal na yung chick? hindi naman nagsasara yon por que nag-asawa na."

I've learned a lot these past 33 days. Being in love and being selfish can't be mentioned in the same breath. I've learned the hard way to never take the people you love (mas lalo na yung the people who love's you) for granted.

Hindi natin pwedeng i-pasa yung sisi sa iba samantalang ikaw naman talaga ang nagkasala. Naglakas-loob ka na gumawa ng kasalanan, lakasan mo rin ang loob mo na tanggapin ang kahit na anumang kaparusahan no matter how painful or humbling.

Be thankful to God in case we are forgiven and given a 2nd chance, but if otherwise, you should learn from your mistakes (misdeeds), and do your best to change for the better. Everybody deserves a 2nd chance at life...and so do you.

ironcoach
06-01-2012, 10:07 AM
^ sa madaling salita... hindi naghihilom ang sugat :D. Wag lang bethadine ang pag wash :p

Time heals all wound, as the saying goes. Whether how fast or how slow, also, only TIME will tell.

bluewing
06-02-2012, 12:12 AM
I've learned a lot these past 33 days. Being in love and being selfish can't be mentioned in the same breath. I've learned the hard way to never take the people you love (mas lalo na yung the people who love's you) for granted.

Hindi natin pwedeng i-pasa yung sisi sa iba samantalang ikaw naman talaga ang nagkasala. Naglakas-loob ka na gumawa ng kasalanan, lakasan mo rin ang loob mo na tanggapin ang kahit na anumang kaparusahan no matter how painful or humbling.

Be thankful to God in case we are forgiven and given a 2nd chance, but if otherwise, you should learn from your mistakes (misdeeds), and do your best to change for the better. Everybody deserves a 2nd chance at life...and so do you.

i hear you, coach.

but if you will oblige, may gusto sana ako itanong. kung ok lang naman. i just want to hear from someone who's gone through both.

well-documented ang pinagdaanan mo nung nangyari sa yo yung sa UE. pero ang wina-wonder ko e kung alin ang mas masakit? yung sakit na idinulot sa iyo ng isang babae o yung sakit na idinulot ng isang buong komunidad?

salamat sa oras, ironcoach.

ironcoach
06-02-2012, 01:13 AM
i hear you, coach.

but if you will oblige, may gusto sana ako itanong. kung ok lang naman. i just want to hear from someone who's gone through both.

well-documented ang pinagdaanan mo nung nangyari sa yo yung sa UE. pero ang wina-wonder ko e kung alin ang mas masakit? yung sakit na idinulot sa iyo ng isang babae o yung sakit na idinulot ng isang buong komunidad?

salamat sa oras, ironcoach.

To be honest, yung sa UE naman my sentiment about that until today is...its their lost. Not mine. Yung irritating lang was hindi naman kelangan maging daluhasa sa rocket science to determine that may mga unscrupulous hands ang gumawa ng paraan para hindi ako ma-renew. Na-pulitika ika nga.

Yung sa babae naman, masasaktan ka ba in the 1st place kung hindi mo siya minahal? So indirectly, ikaw rin nag-cause ng sariling sakit mo. Lalo na in my case na ako ang may kasalanan ng lahat. My (ex) girlfriend is 1 of a kind. I've been around and i can see everything around me. Not many girls (women) are like her anymore. But then again, nakaka-dagdag lang sa sakit kung iisipin mo na you can't have her anymore forever.

So going back sa question mo, no comparison yung dalawang scenario at all. Buong komunidad?? Who the hell are they??!!! I've done more for them than they can ever do for me. Kung ayaw nilansa akin...AYAW KO RIN SA KANILA!

bluewing
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
So going back sa question mo, no comparison yung dalawang scenario at all. Buong komunidad?? Who the hell are they??!!! I've done more for them than they can ever do for me. Kung ayaw nilansa akin...AYAW KO RIN SA KANILA!

salamat, iron coach. at tama ka. its their lost talaga.

bchoter
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
'ika nga ng lisa lisa and the cult jam "lost in emotion (i can feel the beat now)" ;)

Joescoundrel
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Balik basketball naman tayo, Coach.

How do you like the so-called "Old versus New" match-ups in the NBA's respective Conference Finals? Especially now that both series are tied 2-games apiece.

ironcoach
06-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Balik basketball naman tayo, Coach.

How do you like the so-called "Old versus New" match-ups in the NBA's respective Conference Finals? Especially now that both series are tied 2-games apiece.

Well, its both entertaining & enlightening. You would thought that may advantage ang oldies coz of experience, or may advantage ang mga bata coz of athleticism & endurance.

But here they are, all tied up at 2-2. And we can probably draw a conclusion "only" at the end of both series. Something has got to give whether its age or inexperience.

Joescoundrel
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Coach, kung sakali man maging Spurs-Celtics nga ang NBA Finals, who are you putting your money on, and ilan games tancha niyo aabutin ang Series?

ironcoach
06-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Coach, kung sakali man maging Spurs-Celtics nga ang NBA Finals, who are you putting your money on, and ilan games tancha niyo aabutin ang Series?

Kung sakaling Spurs-Celtics ang pumasok sa finals, my bet is it will be the Spurs in 6. Pero parang i don't see that scenario happening. I can still sense that the Heat will make it instead.

LION
06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Almost all NBA analysts predicted the Heat taking out the Celtics in 5-6 games, coach.

But the Heat are on the brink of elimination once again. Last year, if not for the elbow injury suffered by Rondo courtesy of Wade, there was a more than a strong chance the Celtics could have eliminated the Heat from the NBA finals once again.

The issue against Lebron is his heart. Compared to Rondo, Garnett and Pierce, Lebron appears not to have the heart and will to win. He doesn't have the character yet that we see in the really great players like Bird, Magic, Michael, Kobe, Kareem, Isiah, and the rest of the great hall of famers. It appears that it's not in his DNA to be a fighter and a leader. Until he wins a ring, a championship that can be credited to him and not to Wade, there will always be doubts about Lebron's heart and character.

They say he is the King. But the king of what?

Anyways, let's see tomorrow if the Heat can salvage this season and finally get that NBA trophy.

ironcoach
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Kung sakaling Spurs-Celtics ang pumasok sa finals, my bet is it will be the Spurs in 6. Pero parang i don't see that scenario happening. I can still sense that the Heat will make it instead.

Ayan na. Una ng nalaglag ang Spurs. It'll be interesting to find out who the Thunder will face in the Finals. May the best team win.

LION
06-10-2012, 10:57 AM
You're a genius, coach. Heat is on the verge of beating the Celtics in Game 7.

The_Big_Cat
06-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Coach, it will be Miami vs Oklahoma in the finals. I have not seen two athletically-gifted teams matchup in the Finals since Chicago and Portland met in 1992. The Bulls had Jordan, Pippen and Grant while the Trailblazers had Clyde Drexler, former slam dunk competitor Jerome Kersey and a young athletic Cliff Robinson.

This is for the ages. Lebron vs Durant, Wade vs Westbrook, Bosh vs Ibaka. Which team do you place your bet?

ironcoach
06-11-2012, 12:37 AM
You're a genius, coach. Heat is on the verge of beating the Celtics in Game 7.

I'd really rather be lucky than good. And maybe this just goes to show that maybe, im not always wrong...all the time.

ironcoach
06-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Coach, it will be Miami vs Oklahoma in the finals. I have not seen two athletically-gifted teams matchup in the Finals since Chicago and Portland met in 1992. The Bulls had Jordan, Pippen and Grant while the Trailblazers had Clyde Drexler, former slam dunk competitor Jerome Kersey and a young athletic Cliff Robinson.

This is for the ages. Lebron vs Durant, Wade vs Westbrook, Bosh vs Ibaka. Which team do you place your bet?

Again, thats a hard read. What do i know? Maybe if you're just asking for my humble opinion, right off the top of my head...it'll be the Heat in 6.

LION
06-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I'd really rather be lucky than good. And maybe this just goes to show that maybe, im not always wrong...all the time.

Absolutely! Lucky is better than being good.

It was good to have bumped into you at the Greenhills Town Center last Saturday!

Joescoundrel
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Coach, good to have bumped into you during Final 4 Saturday at the Fil Oil.

Speaking of the NBA Finals, what for you should the Miami Heat do to finally get the championship monkey of their backs...?

Oklahoma City is a young, talented team, much like the Heat. What will allow the Heat to get over the hump and hoist their second franchise championship?

ironcoach
06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Absolutely! Lucky is better than being good.

It was good to have bumped into you at the Greenhills Town Center last Saturday!

Likewise. I really appreciate you co ing over to say "hi".

MayG
06-11-2012, 07:51 PM
coach, you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that La Salle seemed the least prepared team that you played against in a series of tune-up games where you played against a number of school teams... it seems that they have improved a bit since you last played with them beating ateneo, san sebastian and san beda in its last three games... what do you think brought about this resurgence... are they peaking too early? is there improvement for real or you think its just that the other teams not showing their real strength and reserving there play for the "real" tournaments like the NCAA and the UAAP

ironcoach
06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Coach, good to have bumped into you during Final 4 Saturday at the Fil Oil.

Speaking of the NBA Finals, what for you should the Miami Heat do to finally get the championship monkey of their backs...?

Oklahoma City is a young, talented team, much like the Heat. What will allow the Heat to get over the hump and hoist their second franchise championship?

Wow! I know this will be easier said than done. I couldn't agree more that this series will be a toss-up. Both teams has an even chance of winning it all.

Yung akin lang naman eh kutob o fearless forecast lang. Maybe its also because i'd like to see LeBron finally winning a championship ring. Durant & Westbrook still have many years down the road to get their rings. But of course OKC, im sure, wouldn't let this opportunity get-by also.

The key, i think, in this series for Miami is how Bosh can contribute to their drive, while with OKC, mas may advantage talaga sila sa rotation ng tao. With the Heat, we all know that LeBron & D-Wade will be the regular top 2 scorers while with OKC, aside from Durant & Westbrook, Harden is also a sure-thing double digit contributor. And who can forget Ibaka's perfect field goal, perfect free throws, 26 point output against the Spurs? So its a must for Bosh to step up in his scoring while doing his share off the boards as well.

Fot the Heat & James to win the title, they've got to "LeBronize" the Thunder.

ironcoach
06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
coach, you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that La Salle seemed the least prepared team that you played against in a series of tune-up games where you played against a number of school teams... it seems that they have improved a bit since you last played with them beating ateneo, san sebastian and san beda in its last three games... what do you think brought about this resurgence... are they peaking too early? is there improvement for real or you think its just that the other teams not showing their real strength and reserving there play for the "real" tournaments like the NCAA and the UAAP

For the Archers to get this far in the Fil-Oil Tourney while chopping down strong opponents along the way, we can definitely say that have indeed improved a lot. Yun nga lang di ba they've lost to a couple of patsies also? So maybe may issue pa sila sa consistency & is just riding the wave of momentum as of the moment. Being a college team, preparation & learning daily is key towards achieving their goal.

And im not a believer of college teams reserving their strength at any time they step on the playing floor carrying the school name on t
heir jerseys. Whats the point of showing up for a "give" game? How about the team supporters, students, faculties & alumni? How about yung mga feelings nila tuwing matatalo ang alma mater? If it isn't painful enough na nga for them para dun sa mga legit na talo, tapos may nalalaman pa silang " reserving your strength".

Kung ayaw masaktan, o masilip ng kalaban, then huwag nalang sumali.

ironcoach
06-11-2012, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=Joescoundrel;494032]Coach, good to have bumped into you during Final 4 Saturday at the Fil Oil.

[QUOTE/]

At the rate we guys have been all of a sudden "bumping" into each other lately, its good to know that we are all insured. Kahit na TPL man lang. :)

Thanks for acknowledging me here. Do Mo Arigato!

MayG
06-11-2012, 10:08 PM
For the Archers to get this far in the Fil-Oil Tourney while chopping down strong opponents along the way, we can definitely say that have indeed improved a lot. Yun nga lang di ba they've lost to a couple of patsies also? So maybe may issue pa sila sa consistency & is just riding the wave of momentum as of the moment. Being a college team, preparation & learning daily is key towards achieving their goal.

And im not a believer of college teams reserving their strength at any time they step on the playing floor carrying the school name on t
heir jerseys. Whats the point of showing up for a "give" game? How about the team supporters, students, faculties & alumni? How about yung mga feelings nila tuwing matatalo ang alma mater? If it isn't painful enough na nga for them para dun sa mga legit na talo, tapos may nalalaman pa silang " reserving your strength".

Thanks coach!!! :) as usual, great insights from you

MayG
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM

thanks coach!! great insights from you as always :)

ironcoach
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Today is Independence Day. How ironic. Independence can come in many forms, shapes and sizes. It can an independence to so many things, matters and issues.

Its only now that i can appreciate why it is being celebrated every year. Today's Independence Day is a celebration of our country's freedom from foreign control over hundreds of years ago.

But what about us as individuals? I've been reminded today that people can celebrate & embrace their own independence from whatever issues in their own personal lives & conviction that there is to be independent from.

Am i making sense here? Im begging for your indulgence.

LION
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I hear you coach. This morning, a lady friend of mine greeted me a happy independence day. Turned out she just broke up with her bf. That's when I realized that yes, independence day comes in many forms and is being celebrated for various reasons. :-)

Joescoundrel
06-13-2012, 09:38 AM
True independence should be about being free from others, see "Hoosegow"...

ironcoach
06-13-2012, 09:47 AM
I hear you coach. This morning, a lady friend of mine greeted me a happy independence day. Turned out she just broke up with her bf. That's when I realized that yes, independence day comes in many forms and is being celebrated for various reasons. :-)

But what if the independence in a particular situation is unwanted? I wonder how one can celebrate that. Now, all our lives, we've been taught about how independence should be fought for. And yet, there is also that thing about fighting it off.

LION
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
But what if the independence in a particular situation is unwanted? I wonder how one can celebrate that. Now, all our lives, we've been taught about how independence should be fought for. And yet, there is also that thing about fighting it off.

I know what you mean, coach.

I don't mean to be insensitive or dismissive, but there are still a lot of open territories out there, unconquered lands, virgin forests, undiscovered paradise with fantastic view and magnificent landscape, and blessed with good climate. I know it takes time to recover from a huge loss, but the process of moving on can be hastened or delayed depending on our choices.

The last time I saw you, you actually looked good, in fighting form as they say. ;-)

ironcoach
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I know what you mean, coach.

I don't mean to be insensitive or dismissive, but there are still a lot of open territories out there, unconquered lands, virgin forests, undiscovered paradise with fantastic view and magnificent landscape, and blessed with good climate. I know it takes time to recover from a huge loss, but the process of moving on can be hastened or delayed depending on our choices.

The last time I saw you, you actually looked good, in fighting form as they say. ;-)

Haha! Paul Lee was even telling me how i didn't even have to go to the gym to shed weight anymore. :)

Moving on is already a tough decision to make but we've got to if its inevitable. To provide sanity. But after that step is taken & conceded to, now comes the process of grieving. The shorter the period of grieving...the better. But even that...only time can tell.

Thanks for your concern & friendship, sir Lion.

emenk
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Coach, how would you rank teams this coming UAAP and NCAA season? Who are the teams to beat this season and the dark horse?

ironcoach
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Coach, how would you rank teams this coming UAAP and NCAA season? Who are the teams to beat this season and the dark horse?

In d UAAP, seems like it will be an Ateneo-NU battle for the top 2 spots with UST, DLSU and FEU looming as Final 4 candidates.

In d NCAA, which i don't follow that much, all signs point to a San Beda-San Sebastian affair as usual. Abueva never seems to run-out of playing years. :) and maybe threats coming from Letran. Hindi pa opening pero, i don't wana sound rude, ngayon palang you know na that Lyceum, EAC, Arellano, UPHR are out of it already. So that leaves JRU, Mapua, CSB to battle for a final 4 slot.

Funny nga how the strong teams in the NCAA can have actual tune-up matches within the tournament.

ironcoach
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Could it be that this thread is dead already?? The quietness is deafening.

LION
06-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Actually we are waiting for your posts, coach. This is your house. :-)

What’s keeping you busy now, coach?

Joescoundrel
06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Coach, during the Miami-Oklahoma City Finals, at any time before Game 5 itself, what for you was the no-salvage point for the Thunder, or that point when you thought the series for Oklahoma City is over...?

Also, should the Thunder keep Russell Westbrook? If situation should occur that they have to keep one and trade the other, should they keep Kevin Durant or Westbrook, and why?

ironcoach
06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Actually we are waiting for your posts, coach. This is your house. :-)

What’s keeping you busy now, coach?

I wish i could lie or "play it cool" around your question. But the truth is, i've spent the past "56 days of hell" desperately trying, planning, surfing the net, meeting up alternately with a handful of compassionate friends, on ways of getting back my "significant
other".

Thank God that this coincided with the PBA D-League off-season or i would just be making a big mess out of my job.

If you would care to check-out the "No Contact Rule" on the net, it would give you a clearer picture on what mode im in right now. I almost pulled it off with a marriage proposal last June 5 but she had a sudden change of heart overnight so technically, im back to square one all over again.

After going thru the "No Contact Rule" guide, i thought it would be my last-ditch stand to get her back. So to begin the healing process, i had to give in to her wishes for us to break-up. I can still sense the tone of love and care on her voice in our last conversation last June 10 and it is serving as my last "thin thread of hope" that im desperately holding on to to this day.

For me to truthfully come-clean on the matter, my "2-month torture" happened because i got busted for cheating on her. And that the cheating had been going on for a few years now (i've been together with my gf for the past 4 1/2 years now, living-in for almost 2 years).

Lately, I've been hearing whispers about "crime doesn't pay" and "getting caught by the long-arm of the law" whenever im alone in my room. I hope my feeling of remorse would eventually pave the way for getting a second chance. I have learned my lesson.

ironcoach
06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Coach, during the Miami-Oklahoma City Finals, at any time before Game 5 itself, what for you was the no-salvage point for the Thunder, or that point when you thought the series for Oklahoma City is over...?

Also, should the Thunder keep Russell Westbrook? If situation should occur that they have to keep one and trade the other, should they keep Kevin Durant or Westbrook, and why?

I honestly thought that OKC still had a chance of extending (not winning) the series to a game 6 considering that Miami had been winning games 2,3 & 4 by 4-6 points margin. OKC even went up by 17 pts early in game 4. Mike Miller gave the Heat a big lift lang in game 5 while Chalmers did his in game 4.

And its really Miami's time. Nag-dividendo na yung coup nila last year when they acquired LeBron & Bosh. As for OKC, they should make sure that they keep Durant & Westbrook together for at least 3 more seasons. Saan pa sila makaka-hanap ng Westbrook-caliber na player?

But sa question mo na assuming inevitable that they have to trade one of them, siyempre no-brainer that they should retain Durant. Durant's a proven NBA scoring champion and franchise player na. Need i say more?

Sam Miguel
06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
^^^ Coach IF the Thunder do eventually say farewell to Westbrook, which NBA team do you think is the best fit for him? I think the Lakers, Celtics, San Antonio and even Miami would not be good places for him. Maybe he can work something out in Chicago if ever?

ironcoach
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
^^^ Coach IF the Thunder do eventually say farewell to Westbrook, which NBA team do you think is the best fit for him? I think the Lakers, Celtics, San Antonio and even Miami would not be good places for him. Maybe he can work something out in Chicago if ever?

If OKC were to let Westbrook go, im sure all the 29 other teams in the league would all be interested barring salary cap issues and/or who OKC will ask for in return. And didn't OKC just sign Westbrook to a multi-year/multi-million dollar extension recently??

With a young Durant & a young Westbrook in their line-up, didn't OKC win the Western Conference title unexpectedly this season?? We all know about the saying "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" OKC's future lie in the hands of both Durant & Westbrook. They'd be stupid to break it up at this time.

UE_red king
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=821399&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Coach, pwede na daw yata magfranchise ng 2 teams sa PBA....Sana makasali kayo coach sa PBA...Di kasi ako nakakapanuod ng D-League....Nagpost lang po coach para dito... Idol ko po kayo kahit na di na kayo Coach ng UE Warriors....

ironcoach
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=821399&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=

Coach, pwede na daw yata magfranchise ng 2 teams sa PBA....Sana makasali kayo coach sa PBA...Di kasi ako nakakapanuod ng D-League....Nagpost lang po coach para dito... Idol ko po kayo kahit na di na kayo Coach ng UE Warriors....

Salamat sir. Eventhough parang napaka-tagal na panahon na yon, you would still remember. As far as joining the PBA is concerned, i don't see it in my crystal ball na mangyayari yan anytime soon.

Sa pangalan mo pa lang obvious na UE diehard ka kaya allow me to wish you good luck sa mga coming games o tournaments na inyong sasalihan. Salamat sa pag-post dito.

yungha
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
NBA draft na naman coach. makakakita kaya tayo ng full-blooded pinoy who'll get drafted in the NBA in our lifetime? pinanganak na kaya ang first pinoy nba player?

lamang na lamang tayo sa ibang bansa dati. kahit spain at france tinatalo natin. nakikipagsabayan tayo sa mga tipong yugoslavia and brazil. yes we may be small but with our skills we should have sent at least some of our point guards and maybe some 2-guards to the nba. naiwan na nga tayo sa height, naiwan pa tayo sa skills training.

i'm not surprised china has sent players to the nba because of their pipeline of tall players and their government's commitment to sports. korea tanggap ko pa kasi malakas din naman yan dati pa. but japan and taiwan? baka maunahan pa tayo ng vietnam. masakit din that even countries with absolutely no basketball culture like sweden and switzerland have sent players to the nba.

what happened to us coach?

ironcoach
06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
NBA draft na naman coach. makakakita kaya tayo ng full-blooded pinoy who'll get drafted in the NBA in our lifetime? pinanganak na kaya ang first pinoy nba player?

lamang na lamang tayo sa ibang bansa dati. kahit spain at france tinatalo natin. nakikipagsabayan tayo sa mga tipong yugoslavia and brazil. yes we may be small but with our skills we should have sent at least some of our point guards and maybe some 2-guards to the nba. naiwan na nga tayo sa height, naiwan pa tayo sa skills training.

i'm not surprised china has sent players to the nba because of their pipeline of tall players and their government's commitment to sports. korea tanggap ko pa kasi malakas din naman yan dati pa. but japan and taiwan? baka maunahan pa tayo ng vietnam. masakit din that even countries with absolutely no basketball culture like sweden and switzerland have sent players to the nba.

what happened to us coach?

Your question is as good as mine. Maybe our Pinoy hopefuls just have to content themselves with reaching the PBA nalang. Para nga sa atin eh magagaling at mahuhusay na ang mga PBA players natin diba?

Tsaka siguro bawi nalang tayo with the likes of Pacquiao, Donaire, Bata Reyes, Django Bustamante and even Jessica Sanchez sa ibang mga larangan. Forget basketball till the next lifetime.

reforms
07-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Coach, your thoughts naman on our quest of getting our very first gold in the Olympics?

reforms
07-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Coach, your thoughts naman on our quest of getting our very first gold in the Olympics?

ironcoach
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Keep trying lang siguro. Kapag ukol bubukol din yan. Usually, things just happen when you least expect it. if i told you 10 years ago that a Filipino would be boxing's pound for pound best fighter in the whole world someday, you might roll-over the floor from laughing yet it did happen.

MayG
07-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Coach, the UAAP will soon start.. any predictions as to who will make it to the FINAL FOUR? FINALS? and who will eventually be crowned CHAMPIONS this season?

Sam Miguel
07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Coach, Don Allado isn't the first player who has publicly said that the PBA fixes games through the officiating in order to have its preferred teams in the playoffs and ideally even into the finals.

During your time with the Tanduay franchise, did you feel this to be the case? Were there instances that you thought were so blatant that no less than the league office could have ordered the referees to do it?

ironcoach
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Coach, the UAAP will soon start.. any predictions as to who will make it to the FINAL FOUR? FINALS? and who will eventually be crowned CHAMPIONS this season?

Strongest bets to reach final 4: ADMU & NU. Kung sino pa yung dalawang papasok, toss-up na yan with the 6 other teams although my gut-feel says U.P. won't make it for sure.

ironcoach
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Coach, Don Allado isn't the first player who has publicly said that the PBA fixes games through the officiating in order to have its preferred teams in the playoffs and ideally even into the finals.

During your time with the Tanduay franchise, did you feel this to be the case? Were there instances that you thought were so blatant that no less than the league office could have ordered the referees to do it?

If Allado wasn't the first, then who else made such a claim?? During my time with Tanduay, wala naman akong nararamdaman o napag-hihinalaang ganyan.

You can see naman the PBA's landscape today. 10 teams being controlled by 5 entities nalang. I doubt that the PBA would want that number to decrease pa by pissing off 1 or 2 team owners. Ramdam ko nga na Alaska already has 1 foot out the door.

Sam Miguel
07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
^^^ My bad coach, what I meant was there have been others who have felt they got shafted by calls.

Over the years I've watched the PBA as a fan, and covered it as a press man, one common complaint I always hear is that playing versus Ginebra in a playoff is like playing eight-on-five on the court. Apparently Ginebra makes the league so much more money that they are ALLEGEDLY helped along by the referees, with the league's SUPPOSED blessings.

Of course hard evidence is nearly impossible to come by, short of a referee actually admitting his whistle was paid for, or maybe admitting their crew was fixing the game or at least the score.

And on the other hand, Ginebra will msot likely say they get shafted with bum calls too, and that the referees are out to get them because they come across as the crowd darlings and the crowd hates the referees so the refs take it out on the team.

ironcoach
07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
^^^ My bad coach, what I meant was there have been others who have felt they got shafted by calls.

Over the years I've watched the PBA as a fan, and covered it as a press man, one common complaint I always hear is that playing versus Ginebra in a playoff is like playing eight-on-five on the court. Apparently Ginebra makes the league so much more money that they are ALLEGEDLY helped along by the referees, with the league's SUPPOSED blessings.

Of course hard evidence is nearly impossible to come by, short of a referee actually admitting his whistle was paid for, or maybe admitting their crew was fixing the game or at least the score.

And on the other hand, Ginebra will msot likely say they get shafted with bum calls too, and that the referees are out to get them because they come across as the crowd darlings and the crowd hates the referees so the refs take it out on the team.

Kaya nga some things are better left unsaid or untouched. After all, the PBA naman is not a matter of national security. Entertainment lang yan for the masa & d afficionados, and for the people behind the league, its a business. Tulad nalang ni Allado, these last 13 years ng kabuhayan niya, sa PBA niya nakamit. Di nagmukha pa siyang inggrato ngayon.

Kung walang Twitter sana di hindi nagkaganon. Hindi naman din niya ibinulalas yung sentimyento niya on-air or sa harap ng media reporter(s). Sa Twitter lang siya na-basyo. Im sure how he wishes that he could take it back pero...man up nalang.

LION
07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I agree with you coach re twitter and all these internet-based and cellphone-based social media. How may relationships, either business, professional or personal, have been destroyed or strained because of dimwit postings, texting, tweets, etc. on this various social media? The moment you hit that send button, you can’t take it back anymore.

ironcoach
07-07-2012, 02:53 AM
I agree with you coach re twitter and all these internet-based and cellphone-based social media. How may relationships, either business, professional or personal, have been destroyed or strained because of dimwit postings, texting, tweets, etc. on this various social media? The moment you hit that send button, you can’t take it back anymore.

Ang bilis ng advancements tsaka pag-imbento ng mga tools for social media...kulang or halos wala namang pangontra or kampanya sa aspeto ng SOCIAL AWARENESS. You can cite a lot of other pagkukulang and vulnerability pa sa aspetong ito.

reforms
07-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Ahh technology... Namiss ko tuloy ang pakikinig ng PBA games sa radyo pag brownout nung 90's.

Gumagana ng husto ang imahinasyon ng mga tao nun- Boses lang ng commentator at mga hiyaw ng mga tao ang naririnig mo...

Sam Miguel
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Coach, if a person is selected as commissioner of one of the big leagues, like say the UAAP, do you think he should be allowed to pick the officiating outfit with whom he is most comfortable? For example, since Ato Badolato is the commissioner of the UAAP, and he is partial to NABRO since he uses that outfit in the Fr Martin Cup games which he heads. Do you think as UAAP commissioner the league should let him use NABRO if he so chooses?

Or do you think the UAAP should choose an officiating crew without even talking to the commissioner about it?

Ako kasi parang ang hirap naman yata na commissioner ka tapos hindi mo man lang kilala o gamay ang mga pumipito sa liga kung saan ka commissioner.

Second question: in all the leagues in which you've participated in the country, who for you had the best officiating? Bahala ka na coach kung ano man ang pagkakaturing mo sa salitang "best" pagdating sa mga referee groups.

ironcoach
07-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Coach, if a person is selected as commissioner of one of the big leagues, like say the UAAP, do you think he should be allowed to pick the officiating outfit with whom he is most comfortable? For example, since Ato Badolato is the commissioner of the UAAP, and he is partial to NABRO since he uses that outfit in the Fr Martin Cup games which he heads. Do you think as UAAP commissioner the league should let him use NABRO if he so chooses?

Or do you think the UAAP should choose an officiating crew without even talking to the commissioner about it?

Ako kasi parang ang hirap naman yata na commissioner ka tapos hindi mo man lang kilala o gamay ang mga pumipito sa liga kung saan ka commissioner.

Second question: in all the leagues in which you've participated in the country, who for you had the best officiating? Bahala ka na coach kung ano man ang pagkakaturing mo sa salitang "best" pagdating sa mga referee groups.

If i were to be asked for advice, i would suggest that the UAAP Commissioner opt for a 12 or 15-man referees pool to be selected from the various referees groups in the whole country. Get the best of the best and not limited to only 1 particular group.

Let the pool undergo team building, training (both psychological/mental and physical) and character check 1 month befor the tournament proper also.

In my experience sa mga nasalihan kong mga liga, talagang there's no such thing as a perfect officiating. I just charge 'em to human errors. Tao lang. Lahat nagkakamali. Waste of my time lang to argue or challenge pa.

animo
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
coach, what do you think about this? NU won by 35 pts and UE will file a protest because uniform rule violation.

Bulldogs wallop Red Warriors but game under protest (http://www.inboundpass.com/2012/07/14/bulldogs-wallop-red-warriors-but-game-under-protest/)

Although the lopsided victory favored the Bulldogs, the Red Warriors have put the game under protest after Emmanuel Mbe wore a uniform without a number in front which is considered a violation to the UAAP league rules.

Coach Jerry Cordiñera told inboundpass that the school will file a formal protest through the league’s technical committee the soonest.

“I believe the result of the game can be overturned because rules are rules,” said Codinera.

Coach Altamirano, however, refuses to comment on the issue.

ironcoach
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
coach, what do you think about this? NU won by 35 pts and UE will file a protest because uniform rule violation.

Bulldogs wallop Red Warriors but game under protest (http://www.inboundpass.com/2012/07/14/bulldogs-wallop-red-warriors-but-game-under-protest/)

I supposed that if Altamirano refused to comment about it, more so ako. Ako itong walang kinalaman dyan whatsoever. Sorry.

JBSO
07-15-2012, 11:10 PM
coach,sad to see how UE performed yesterday..grabe! na trained ba yan? sayang talaga yun mga na sinimulan niyo dati.

ironcoach
07-16-2012, 01:07 AM
coach,sad to see how UE performed yesterday..grabe! na trained ba yan? sayang talaga yun mga na sinimulan niyo dati.

Life isn't always a bed of roses. You win some...you lose some. Ako lang talaga i felt that i've given a lot of my heart and a lot of my soul sa UE, and after everything had been said and done...i don't think that there's anything left in my heart to give. Wala na siguro akong maipi-piga pa for them.

Best of luck to them though. Just keep trying, i guess.

Joescoundrel
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Coach do you think Spain can wrest the basketball gold from the US in the London Olympics? Spain has NBA stars of its won and the international game is a different proposition from the NBA game.

ironcoach
07-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Coach do you think Spain can wrest the basketball gold from the US in the London Olympics? Spain has NBA stars of its won and the international game is a different proposition from the NBA game.

No chance in hell yan, pare. LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Deron, CP3, Melo, Westbrook,...these guys will just run the opponent to the ground. Trust me.

bayanpilipinas
07-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Coach, kakatapos lang ng UAAP opening weekend. Anong impressions mo sa mga schools? Also, seeing NU during the summer leagues and this past game, they look close to invincible. What do you think is their weakness?

fujima04
07-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Coach, ano masasabi ninyo sa comment ni Kobe regarding 2012 USA Team vs. 1992 Dream Team

Kung isi-simulate nga na maglaban ang 2 team na yan. Sino sa palagay ninyo ang mananaig at bakit?

ironcoach
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Coach, kakatapos lang ng UAAP opening weekend. Anong impressions mo sa mga schools? Also, seeing NU during the summer leagues and this past game, they look close to invincible. What do you think is their weakness?

NU looks formidable this season pero not really unbeatable. The question is, kung may enough ammunition or pang-counter sa kanila ang the rest of the field.

Aside from Slaughter, Abdul and maybe Norbert Torres, sino pang big men ang pwedeng mag-pose ng problema kay Mbe?
Alolino isn't the best point guard you'll ever see pero iilang guwardiya lang din ang pwedeng tanggalin siya sa equation? Ray Parks is in a class on his own kaya i'd often throw a double team on him. Make him a passer instead and allow his teamates to beat you instead.

NU's strength can be countered if the opposition has enough weapons din. Kaso nga parang kulang-kulang din ang ibang mga teams. Ateneo's bench is suspect this year pero ang sistema nila ang primerong bentahe nila. As for the other teams, resiliency lang siguro ang pwedeng gawing panapat.

If you've watched the FEU-UST game last Sunday, ilang beses bumaril sa ere si Jeric Teng whenever he'll score pero in the end, talo rin. Yung mga ganyang distractions o extra-curriculars ang dapat pigilan o disiplinahin if you want to or serious in beating the top teams. There's a very thin line or yung margin for error for these middle-tiered teams to barge into the Final 4 kaya every single game (possession) counts.

Almost locked na ang 2 spots para sa ADMU & NU so 2 spots nalang ang pinagsi-siksikan nung anim pang koponan.

ironcoach
07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Coach, ano masasabi ninyo sa comment ni Kobe regarding 2012 USA Team vs. 1992 Dream Team

Kung isi-simulate nga na maglaban ang 2 team na yan. Sino sa palagay ninyo ang mananaig at bakit?

Opinion lang kasi ni Kobe yan at mahirap talaga i-compare ang dalawang teams na yan especially since they're from different eras. But for the sake of katuwaan at gusto mo talagang patulan natin yang sentimyento ni Kobe, sige.

Assuming na nasa 1992 condition nila ang '92 team as against this 2012 team, mas malakas talaga ang 2012 team for me. Si Bird wala ng silbi masyado nun. Si Magic galing sa sick leave from HIV. Sina Ewing & Robinson nagkaka-edad narin nun. Si Laettner pang-display lang. So ur left with Jordan, Pippen, Barkley, Drexler, Malone, Stockton & Mullin as against LeBron, Melo, Kobe, CP3, Durant, D-Will, Westbrook, Chandler, Love & Igoudala.

Mas bata at athletic ang 2012 team. Mas explosive and deep. Ang pwedeng maging problema lang nila, lumakas narin ang mga kalaban as compared nung 1992. Tadtad narin ng mga NBA players ang ibang mga teams. Hindi rin natin sure kung ok na ba ang teamwork, chemistry at drive nitong 2012 team. Maybe pumetiks lang just enough to win at hindi na balak pang manambak ng kalaban since pagod lang yan.

Basketball has evolved a lot these past 20 years. Nakakatakot na ang athleticism ng mga players ngayon but overall, TALAGANG UNFAIR IPAG-KUMPARA TALAGA YUNG NOON SA NGAYON. PANG-KATUWAAN LANG TALAGA TO DO SO.

JonarSabilano
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Opinion lang kasi ni Kobe yan at mahirap talaga i-compare ang dalawang teams na yan especially since they're from different eras. But for the sake of katuwaan at gusto mo talagang patulan natin yang sentimyento ni Kobe, sige.

Assuming na nasa 1992 condition nila ang '92 team as against this 2012 team, mas malakas talaga ang 2012 team for me. Si Bird wala ng silbi masyado nun. Si Magic galing sa sick leave from HIV. Sina Ewing & Robinson nagkaka-edad narin nun. Si Laettner pang-display lang. So ur left with Jordan, Pippen, Barkley, Drexler, Malone, Stockton & Mullin as against LeBron, Melo, Kobe, CP3, Durant, D-Will, Westbrook, Chandler, Love & Igoudala.

Mas bata at athletic ang 2012 team. Mas explosive and deep. Ang pwedeng maging problema lang nila, lumakas narin ang mga kalaban as compared nung 1992. Tadtad narin ng mga NBA players ang ibang mga teams. Hindi rin natin sure kung ok na ba ang teamwork, chemistry at drive nitong 2012 team. Maybe pumetiks lang just enough to win at hindi na balak pang manambak ng kalaban since pagod lang yan.

Basketball has evolved a lot these past 20 years. Nakakatakot na ang athleticism ng mga players ngayon but overall, TALAGANG UNFAIR IPAG-KUMPARA TALAGA YUNG NOON SA NGAYON. PANG-KATUWAAN LANG TALAGA TO DO SO.

Coach, I beg to disagree re: Dream Team. Sina Robinson at Ewing, kapwa 27 years old pa lang noon. Kumbaga, nandoon sila sa peak ng mga career nila. May edge ang Dream Team pagdating sa loob kasi si Chandler lang ang totoong sentro ng 2012 team, at sa tingin ko'y kakainin siya nang buhay nina Ewing.

ironcoach
07-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Coach, I beg to disagree re: Dream Team. Sina Robinson at Ewing, kapwa 27 years old pa lang noon. Kumbaga, nandoon sila sa peak ng mga career nila. May edge ang Dream Team pagdating sa loob kasi si Chandler lang ang totoong sentro ng 2012 team, at sa tingin ko'y kakainin siya nang buhay nina Ewing.

Ewing was born on August 5, 1962 so that makes him 30 in 1992. Anyway, whats d difference between 27 & 32 years old sa playing shape ng isang basketball player? I agree na prime years yan.

If your idea of a basketball game is predicated on the inside game, then you're right. Ewing & Robinson will wreak havoc on Dream Team '12. But nowadays, there are just some new techniques to skin a cat, so to speak. Teams should be playing to their strength & not dwell on what they do not have. And there is also the zone defense in amateur ball.

Well, as i said, kanya-kanyang opinion nga yan and i almost didn't want to answer that question din but gave in just to accomodate. It is really a tricky question. Walang mali sa opinion mo. Its definitely valid. Halos wala ngang quality or big name na big man itong 2012 team. Ako lang kasi big fan ako ng unorthodox ball. Parang ang daming pwedeng pag-experimentuhan yung mga all-around players regardless of position. Magawan lang yan ng tamang game plan at strategies...sky's the limit.

bayanpilipinas
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the reply coach. NU is just scary with the run and gun style. Para sila yung adamson last year na nagpapaulan ng tres. Only diff is that they have more shooters and better interior players.

Re. the Dream Team, if I may add my two cents worth, iba yung may Jordan eh. Bawal matalo. Not too scientific but I'm sure a lot would agree.

Joescoundrel
07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Coach, did you catch the games yesterday at the Big Dome? If so, what do you think of Roi Sumang's game yesterday versus Lasalle?

bchoter
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
^ Seated first row along the baseline :)

james_hunt
07-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Coach, did you catch the games yesterday at the Big Dome? If so, what do you think of Roi Sumang's game yesterday versus Lasalle?

This is a better question for you coach: what do you think of Aljohn Mariano's game versus Ateneo? :)

ironcoach
07-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Roi simply dominated DLSU's defense. I knew he was gonna be good when i recruited him back in 2009 but i didn't expect him to be "this" good right away. He could've been a double/double machine if he would have a Paul Lee, a Ken Acibar or a Val Acuna as teamates. Maraming drop passes at kickouts ang nasasayang lang coz his teamates couldn't connect consistently.

Worried lang ako sa extended minutes niya game in & game out since hindi naman siya kalakihan at hindi rin siya "imported" (locally assembled lang siya) baka masunog agad before pa mag-2nd round. Unless they pamper him during practices, before & after games, or just about every single day.

ironcoach
07-20-2012, 07:01 PM
This is a better question for you coach: what do you think of Aljohn Mariano's game versus Ateneo? :)

Aljon played great. Parang beteranong-beterano na at malakas ang loob. Not afraid to takeover the game. He tried-out with me sa UE in 2009 but i wasn't impressed then. Yesterday, he made me looked stupid. :)

Sam Miguel
07-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Coach, what was it about Aljohn mariano that failed to impress you when he did try out at UE? Was that before or after he chilled out for a year overseas?

ironcoach
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Coach, what was it about Aljohn mariano that failed to impress you when he did try out at UE? Was that before or after he chilled out for a year overseas?

I had no idea that he "chilled out for a year overseas" kaya i couldn't really tell exactly when it was. All i know is that nung summer
of 2009 siya nag-tryout sa amin. But as it is now, it seemed to have worked out for him na he went to UST instead.

Basketball paths, just like in real-life, destiny rin yan. No one can ever tell whats gonna happen down the road until one actually gets there.

bchoter
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
^ Hindi kaya dahil puno pa ng wing meng ang UE during that time coach? Pero you're in good company kasi ADMU ang kaunaunahang school na nag try out siya but, obviously he didn't make it. He was just 15 back then

ironcoach
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
^ Hindi kaya dahil puno pa ng wing meng ang UE during that time coach? Pero you're in good company kasi ADMU ang kaunaunahang school na nag try out siya but, obviously he didn't make it. He was just 15 back then

Just like 1 of the old adages in life: hindsight is always 20/20. Big and small decisions are left to be decided by a mere human being all the time and as another saying goes: to err is human. Basta ba at the time that a decision has to be made, as long as walang malice involved, ok lang yan. We should be able to live with it till kingdom comes.

Sam Miguel
07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Coach, what exactly happened to Paul Lee last night? I just saw him try to steal the ball away then he was suddenly on the floor writhing and grimacing in pain clutching his left shoulder. Later on he had to be brought out of the palying court on a gurney. Kumusta na siya?

ironcoach
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Coach, what exactly happened to Paul Lee last night? I just saw him try to steal the ball away then he was suddenly on the floor writhing and grimacing in pain clutching his left shoulder. Later on he had to be brought out of the palying court on a gurney. Kumusta na siya?

He's ok na but he'll need to undergo minor surgery a few weeks from now. Dislocated left shoulder eh. He 1st got it in a game a few months back.

Joescoundrel
07-27-2012, 11:16 AM
^ Coach, was this a case of playing too soon after an injury?

ironcoach
07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
^ Coach, was this a case of playing too soon after an injury?

Yes and no. Pwedeng hindi pa totally strengthened masyado yung shoulder ni Paul at sumabak na uli siya or pwede ring disgrasysa lang talaga and it was bound to happen again eventhough ok na talaga yung shoulder. Just like any other player lang din na mai-injured for just about any other kind of injury.

It happened and im sure wala namang may gusto niyan lalong-lalo na si Paul.

bydpogi
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Coach is Paul Lee's season over? I don't see them beating B-Meg without him :-(

ironcoach
07-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Coach is Paul Lee's season over? I don't see them beating B-Meg without him :-(

I still see it as 50/50. Bilog ang bola.

ironcoach
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO PAUL LEE. Newly-crowned 2011-2012 PBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and 2ND MYTHICAL TEAM SELECTION.

KEEP GOING LANG PAUL. YOU'VE MADE ME VERY PROUD INDEED.

bayanpilipinas
07-30-2012, 02:24 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO PAUL LEE. Newly-crowned 2011-2012 PBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and 2ND MYTHICAL TEAM SELECTION.

future of the pba indeed!

Joescoundrel
07-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Coach, you always mention what a great fit Paul is for Coach Yeng Guiao's idea of the game.

Do you think he can still thrive as he has been doing now if ever he goes to another PBA team?

ironcoach
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Coach, you always mention what a great fit Paul is for Coach Yeng Guiao's idea of the game.

Do you think he can still thrive as he has been doing now if ever he goes to another PBA team?

Paul needed a stage to showcase what he can do on the basketball floor and after sizing up all the 10 teams in the PBA with their respective rosters and coaches, i thought ROS and coach Yeng was our best destination.

We needn't worry too much din because ROS, with the 2nd overall pick, grabbed Paul after Powerade and Bo Perasol opted for Jvee Casio. So its not as if we had a choice. Things just fell into Paul's lap.

Just take a look at last year's draft class. Baclao, Al-Hussaini, Rey Guevarra, Elmer Espiritu and Vanlandingham went 1-5 in the 1st round pero in just a season or less, all 5 of them had been traded (twice in the case of Rabeh & Guevarra) to other teams na. Even with this year's class, Lassiter, Malixi and Ababou had been traded na as well.

Sa ROS lang makikita mo na may stability sa roster build-up. Norwood, Tang, Jervy Cruz, Arana, Ibanes, Uyloan and Paul were all ROS original draft picks. Hindi kasi ng ROS kaya makipagsabayan sa mga big companies na bumili ng mga big-name players kaya they build through the draft or sa mga opportunity trades nalang that netted them Buenafe, Chan, Belga, Quinahan, Matias and Rodriguez.

And going back to your question, after just 1 season in the PBA via ROS, do you think there would still be a team out there NOW who wouldn't want Paul Lee?? And it all began when the right team and the right coach(and the right mentor) drafted the right player a year ago. Kung sa maling team at maling coach kami napunta, wala sanang Lee-thal Weapon ngayon. Wala sanang Angas Ng Tundo ngayon. Hindi sana si Paul ang....2011-2012 PBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!!!

Destiny. And on behalf of Paul, i'd like to take this opportunity to thank Powerade for NOT selecting Paul with the 1st overall pick. And im sure they're pretty happy with Casio as well. All's well that ends well.

Whatever the reasons were,

Joescoundrel
08-01-2012, 08:22 AM
^ Coach I always believed Paul should have been the Number 1 draft pick ahead of JV Casio.

Outside of RoS, which other PBA team do you think could maximize Paul's talent?

ironcoach
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
^ Coach I always believed Paul should have been the Number 1 draft pick ahead of JV Casio.

With all due respect sir, after this season, the question should be which PBA team could Paul have helped to become better. But ok. I-assume parin natin na Paul hadn't played a single PBA game yet and magpapa-draft palang. I think Alaska at Ginebra ang makaka-maximize ng talent at skills ni Paul.

Alaska had their lousiest season after so many years while Ginebra, after all its wheelin and dealin, couldn't even land a finals berth in any of the 3 conferences this season with Cortez, Helterbrand and Labagala manning the point.

As far as being the number 1 pick is concerned, in all honesty, Paul could've even landed at #7 if these PBA coaches had set their eyes exclusively on the Gilas Boys and their international exposures and Toroman-training. Casio, Lutz, Lassiter, Barroca, Baracael and Ababou could've been selected ahead of Paul and they would've still been justified (and i couldn't blame them as well).

Kaya dun natin dapat ibigay ang lahat ng credit kay coach Yeng for Paul's evolution. Si coach Yeng yung may instinct na sumugal sa talent ni Paul, nag-nurture at nagtiwala sa kakayahan, piniga pa ng husto by putting Paul in the position to grow as a player right away. You can say na kung ano man ang modest na narating na ni Paul this early sa career niya, si coach Yeng ang 80% na may kagagawan niyan.

ironcoach
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM

With all due respect sir, after this season, the question should be which PBA team could Paul have helped to become better. But ok. I-assume parin natin na Paul hadn't played a single PBA game yet and magpapa-draft palang. I think Alaska at Ginebra ang makaka-maximize ng talent at skills ni Paul.

Alaska had their lousiest season after so many years while Ginebra, after all its wheelin and dealin, couldn't even land a finals berth in any of the 3 conferences this season with Cortez, Helterbrand and Labagala manning the point.

As far as being the number 1 pick is concerned, in all honesty, Paul could've even landed at #7 if these PBA coaches had set their eyes exclusively on the Gilas Boys and their international exposures and Toroman-training. Casio, Lutz, Lassiter, Barroca, Baracael and Ababou could've been selected ahead of Paul and they would've still been justified (and i couldn't blame them as well).

Kaya dun natin dapat ibigay ang lahat ng credit kay coach Yeng for Paul's evolution. Si coach Yeng yung may instinct na sumugal sa talent ni Paul, nag-nurture at nagtiwala sa kakayahan, piniga pa ng husto by putting Paul in the position to grow as a player right away. You can say na kung ano man ang modest na narating na ni Paul this early sa career niya, si coach Yeng ang 80% na may kagagawan niyan.

reforms
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Coach, today destiny prevailed over dynasty! Congrats Paul, Jeff, Gabe, TY and Jireh!

I miss chanting Belga-GO! :-D

Joescoundrel
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Tama nga si Coach Yeng Guiao, "Hindi naman kami si Paul Lee lang, Rain Or Shine ang team namin."

Congratulations to Coach Yeng, Paul and the rest of the Elasto Painters.

Beau, hinay-hinay lang sa extra rice ha, marami pa tayong celebration, hahaha!

Joescoundrel
08-06-2012, 09:46 AM
^ ON a related note, may personal celebration ba kayo ni Paul, Ironcoach? May reward ka ba para sa iyong alaga?

ironcoach
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
^ ON a related note, may personal celebration ba kayo ni Paul, Ironcoach? May reward ka ba para sa iyong alaga?

Sa Cardinal Santos Hospital ang celebration namin ni Paul today. He's scheduled to have surgery on his left shoulder tonight. According to his doctor, it's just gonna be a 45-minute procedure. Hope everything turns out well.

We have made plans a month ago, together with Elmer Espiritu, to take a 3-week vacation in the US after the season nga but we'll have to discuss about it again, maybe by next week. In case we push-thru, sagot ko na yung 5-days accomodation(hotel, food, drinks, catch some shows, etc.) namin sa Las Vegas as my reward for him.

Ahura Mazda
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Coach, nakita ko yung pictures niyo ngayon from Rubie. Hahaha. Parang father and son nga kayo ni Paul!

ironcoach
08-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Coach, nakita ko yung pictures niyo ngayon from Rubie. Hahaha. Parang father and son nga kayo ni Paul!

Where did she post the pics? Ok lang sakin yan basta ba si Paul yung father at ako yung son. :)

Doesn't he really look older than me? :) hehe.

Ahura Mazda
08-07-2012, 06:04 PM
She posted it on Twitter. Hindi ko nga agad kayo na-recognize kasi nakahiga kayo eh, tapos medyo short na pala yung hair niyo ngayon hehe.

Coach, may offer na daw si Paul ngayon pa lang from "richer" teams ah. Are you going to seek "greener pastures" or you're going to stay with Rain or Shine for the long haul?

ironcoach
08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
She posted it on Twitter. Hindi ko nga agad kayo na-recognize kasi nakahiga kayo eh, tapos medyo short na pala yung hair niyo ngayon hehe.

Coach, may offer na daw si Paul ngayon pa lang from "richer" teams ah. Are you going to seek "greener pastures" or you're going to stay with Rain or Shine for the long haul?

I actually had my last haircut last June 4 pa so you'd have an idea how shorter my hair was then. Nagsawa na ako sa mahabang buhok.

As far as Paul's career path in the near future is concerned, he's signed/locked to RoS for the next 2 years pa so basically, its RoS call if they'd trade/sell him or prefer that he stays with them. As of the next couple of years, its really their call. Paul's focus is just about playing the game of professional basketball, having fun doing what he loves the most, and saving what he's making while he's still making them. We'll let the future take care of itself for now.

Ahura Mazda
08-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't think Mr. Raymond Yu and Mr. Terry Que will ship Paul out of their team. Hindi naman sila katulad ni Bert Lina, eh. Hahahaha! Plus, he can easily be the "face" of their franchise. So sana nga sa Rain or Shine lang si Paul. Match made in heaven sila dun ni Coach Yeng. :D

ironcoach
08-08-2012, 03:40 AM
I don't think Mr. Raymond Yu and Mr. Terry Que will ship Paul out of their team. Hindi naman sila katulad ni Bert Lina, eh. Hahahaha! Plus, he can easily be the "face" of their franchise. So sana nga sa Rain or Shine lang si Paul. Match made in heaven sila dun ni Coach Yeng. :D

Paul and i were also supposed to be a match made in heaven for a particular team last year but it wasn't meant to be. Destiny probably decided otherwise thats why it didn't happen. To think that the championship drought of that particular team was way longer than Rain or Shine's 6-year drought. But then again, who's to argue with "destiny".

Kung ayaw mo huwag mo.

LION
08-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Sa Cardinal Santos Hospital ang celebration namin ni Paul today. He's scheduled to have surgery on his left shoulder tonight. According to his doctor, it's just gonna be a 45-minute procedure. Hope everything turns out well.

We have made plans a month ago, together with Elmer Espiritu, to take a 3-week vacation in the US after the season nga but we'll have to discuss about it again, maybe by next week. In case we push-thru, sagot ko na yung 5-days accomodation(hotel, food, drinks, catch some shows, etc.) namin sa Las Vegas as my reward for him.

Si Dr. Gar Eufemio ba ang nag operate, coach?

ironcoach
08-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Si Dr. Gar Eufemio ba ang nag operate, coach?

Yes sir. No other than. Pero i believe he got a shoulder-specific surgeon to work with on Paul.

LION
08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Great, coach. One of the best, if not the best.

He’s a good friend. He was with me in Vegas last year during the Pacman-Marquez fight.
Kasama natin sya sa table sa MGM, but I don’t think you’ll remember hahahahaha.

Ahura Mazda
08-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Paul and i were also supposed to be a match made in heaven for a particular team last year but it wasn't meant to be. Destiny probably decided otherwise thats why it didn't happen. To think that the championship drought of that particular team was way longer than Rain or Shine's 6-year drought. But then again, who's to argue with "destiny".

Kung ayaw mo huwag mo.
Powerade ba yan, coach?

ironcoach
08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Great, coach. One of the best, if not the best.

He’s a good friend. He was with me in Vegas last year during the Pacman-Marquez fight.
Kasama natin sya sa table sa MGM, but I don’t think you’ll remember hahahahaha.

Of course i remembered Doc Edgar. We were able to chitchat a bit at Cardinal Hospital the night that Paul was brought there by ambulance from the Smart/Araneta Coliseum right after he got injured towards the end of Game 2 of the PBA Finals.

ironcoach
08-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Powerade ba yan, coach?

Hmm....nope.

Sam Miguel
08-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Coach, with the D League coming in October, will you still be carrying Boracay Rum or ibang brand na kayo?

Who are the new talents to look forward to on your team?

ironcoach
08-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Coach, with the D League coming in October, will you still be carrying Boracay Rum or ibang brand na kayo?

Who are the new talents to look forward to on your team?

As far as i know, we'll still be carrying BORACAY RUM in the coming season. Im expecting Roi Sumang, Lucas Tagarda, Biboy Enguio & Lordy Casajeros to join our holdovers Ken Acibar, Kit Rosopa, Jhon Foronda, Maclean Sabellina, Jeymo Eguilos, Glenn Khobuntin, Kokoy Hermosisima, Erwin Cornejo & Jeff Morial.

Joescoundrel
08-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Coach, I think the Number 1 pick in the PBA Draft is already a lock, June Mar Fajardo.

If you were picking second overall, who would you pick and why?

I think at Number 2 the current consensus choices are Calvin Abueva, Cliff Hodge, Chris Ellis and Vic Manuel. Would you take any of these guys or would you pick someone else?

Sam Miguel
08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Coach, Paul the Number 2 pick turned out to have a better rookie season than JV Casio the Number 1 pick.

Do you see that happening with this Draft Class as well?

red_engr1987
08-19-2012, 09:06 PM
hi Coach saw you in TV watching the game of UE Red Warriors vs. UP Maroons.
It was a horrible and terrible game of UE RW losing to UP, I had a sore eyes after watching the game :(

bchoter
08-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Coach I saw you, too, going to your seat at the tail end of the UST-AdU game. You were with somebody. Siya na ba?

zoom2k7
08-20-2012, 06:39 AM
coach nun game din nun UE-DLSU andun ka din and si bong tan nakaupo pa sa bench naka red jacket, babalik na ba kayo?!

gensankid
08-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Oo nga Coach, babalik kayo ni Mr. Bong Tan? Palitan nyo na yung dalawa, di talaga marunong eh =(

red_engr1987
08-22-2012, 12:02 AM
ironcoach, ito na ba yung sign that change is coming soon in UE RW. Ito na ba yung bagong pag-asa para sa UE Community

Please give us HOPE so we can keep our FAITH

Joescoundrel
08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Coach, how is it Allan Mangahas does not get picked in the 2012 PBA Draft but guys liek Elliot Tan get picked...?

razor
08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Jerry Codiñera out as coach of UE

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/jerry-codinera-out-as-coach-of-ue

Coach, you're back with UE?

ghost09
08-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Tease lang haha , coach zamar back with UE

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Coach, I think the Number 1 pick in the PBA Draft is already a lock, June Mar Fajardo.

If you were picking second overall, who would you pick and why?

I think at Number 2 the current consensus choices are Calvin Abueva, Cliff Hodge, Chris Ellis and Vic Manuel. Would you take any of these guys or would you pick someone else?

I would've picked Cliff Hodge whether with the #1 or #2 pick. This kid's talent is oozing while Fajardo might just be a Sam Eman 2.0 in the PBA.

Sorry sa super late reply. Have been so busy. Pasensya.

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Coach, Paul the Number 2 pick turned out to have a better rookie season than JV Casio the Number 1 pick.

Do you see that happening with this Draft Class as well?

Yun ang gut-feel ko. Just like James Yap over Rich Alvarez, Rabeh over Baclao, etc.

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 08:52 PM
hi Coach saw you in TV watching the game of UE Red Warriors vs. UP Maroons.
It was a horrible and terrible game of UE RW losing to UP, I had a sore eyes after watching the game :(

I was just there on a date. :) Nothing but a UP-UE game para mas nakatuon ang pansin ko sa ka-date ko rather than the game. Hehe!

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Coach I saw you, too, going to your seat at the tail end of the UST-AdU game. You were with somebody. Siya na ba?

Malamang SIYA na nga. :)

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
coach nun game din nun UE-DLSU andun ka din and si bong tan nakaupo pa sa bench naka red jacket, babalik na ba kayo?!

I believe it was against ADMU. Boss Bong and i with a couple of friends were just trying out the Skybox area of Asia Brewery inside the MOA Arena and since UE had a game that day, he merely wanted us to lend moral support which i obliged naman. We just stayed there nung 1st half.

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Oo nga Coach, babalik kayo ni Mr. Bong Tan? Palitan nyo na yung dalawa, di talaga marunong eh =(

Hindi naman kami umalis eh. Boss Bong's family still owns UE and my parents will forever be UE Alumni. As far as im concerned naman, UE was a former employer and we had so many good memories in my 2 years there. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

Siguro yung sa current basketball team lang kami pareho ni Boss Bong na walang say. :)

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 09:10 PM
ironcoach, ito na ba yung sign that change is coming soon in UE RW. Ito na ba yung bagong pag-asa para sa UE Community

Please give us HOPE so we can keep our FAITH

I wish may magagawa ako to help your cause. Kaso dun sa mga may say sa team, i don't think they look to boss Bong and i as the PAG-ASA or hope ng UE. Dyahe naman mag-prisinta.

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Coach, how is it Allan Mangahas does not get picked in the 2012 PBA Draft but guys liek Elliot Tan get picked...?

Sa pagkakaalam ko Mangahas withdrew his name as a draft applicant. Im not too sure lang.

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Jerry Codiñera out as coach of UE

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/jerry-codinera-out-as-coach-of-ue

Coach, you're back with UE?

No im not.

ironcoach
08-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Tease lang haha , coach zamar back with UE

Good luck kay coach Boysie.

yungha
08-29-2012, 09:20 AM
guys, no judgments kay coach ha. just want to ask a rather touchy but timely question.

coach, what's your stand on the proposed RH Bill?

ironcoach
08-30-2012, 06:56 AM
guys, no judgments kay coach ha. just want to ask a rather touchy but timely question.

coach, what's your stand on the proposed RH Bill?

Im a patriot of freedom of expression. But at the rate things, or the degree of the social crunch thats goin on sa population growth in our country, isama mo narin yung poverty & lack of education sa karamihan ng ating mga kababayan, and yung hirap ng atong gobyerno na mag-provide ng mga basic needs para sa kanila...i believe that the RH Bill is the only way to go para mabigyan ito ng lunas in the coming decades.

Mel
08-30-2012, 08:01 AM
coach, I heard one of your former UE players Raffy Reyes has been signed to a contract by Alaska. what do you think about him adjusting to the point guard position in the PBA and what are some other aspects he can bring in to the pro game.

yungha
08-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Im a patriot of freedom of expression. But at the rate things, or the degree of the social crunch thats goin on sa population growth in our country, isama mo narin yung poverty & lack of education sa karamihan ng ating mga kababayan, and yung hirap ng atong gobyerno na mag-provide ng mga basic needs para sa kanila...i believe that the RH Bill is the only way to go para mabigyan ito ng lunas in the coming decades.

hear! hear! re: freedom of expression. thanks for the reply coach.