PDA

View Full Version : PBL breaks one-year spell with 6-team cast(title and story from Phil Star)

admiral thrawn
01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
PBL breaks one-year spell with 6-team cast
(The Philippine Star) Updated January 25, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - After a near one-year absence, the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) returns with six teams battling it out in the maiden conference starting next month.

Pharex, Agri Nurture Inc. (ANI), Excelroof and Cobra are back while newcomers Hobe Bihon and Cafe France complete the field in the country’s premier amateur league which opens shop on Feb. 26.

PBL chairman Ding Camua of Pharex yesterday made the announcement on the PBL’s return.

“We’re answering to the clamor to revive the PBL,” said Camua. “We recognize the need to bring the league back. We know there should be a middle league where the collegiate players can develop their skills further before turning pro.”

The rookie draft, slated on Feb. 5, is open to college players and amateurs born from 1984. Each team, however, is allowed to recruit two veterans with a maximum age of 30 (born 1981).

Rookie aspirants may e-mail sportsvision_pbl@yahoo.com or contact 892-2231. Deadline for application is on Feb. 2.

“We’re looking forward to the continuous support of the PBA,” said Camua.

The first conference will feature a three-round eliminations and will run until May, just right before the collegiate season kicks off.

We want the PBL to get back on its feet. We’re expecting to discover new talents like we did the past seasons. We’re also hoping to see more standouts from the provinces,” said Camua.

The last PBL conference was held March last year where Excelroof, composed of the core of former NCAA champion San Sebastian College, bagged the championship.

Joescoundrel
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Is it true former UE coach Lawrence Chongson is now the new PBL Commissioner?

Six team make for a barely all right league, but this is surely still better than nothing.

paolo
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
PBL breaks one-year spell with 6-team cast
(The Philippine Star) Updated January 25, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - After a near one-year absence, the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) returns with six teams battling it out in the maiden conference starting next month.

Pharex, Agri Nurture Inc. (ANI), Excelroof and Cobra are back while newcomers Hobe Bihon and Cafe France complete the field in the country’s premier amateur league which opens shop on Feb. 26.
PBL chairman Ding Camua of Pharex yesterday made the announcement on the PBL’s return.
“We’re answering to the clamor to revive the PBL,” said Camua. “We recognize the need to bring the league back. We know there should be a middle league where the collegiate players can develop their skills further before turning pro.”

The rookie draft, slated on Feb. 5, is open to college players and amateurs born from 1984. Each team, however, is allowed to recruit two veterans with a maximum age of 30 (born 1981).

Rookie aspirants may e-mail sportsvision_pbl@yahoo.com or contact 892-2231. Deadline for application is on Feb. 2.

“We’re looking forward to the continuous support of the PBA,” said Camua.

The first conference will feature a three-round eliminations and will run until May, just right before the collegiate season kicks off.

We want the PBL to get back on its feet. We’re expecting to discover new talents like we did the past seasons. We’re also hoping to see more standouts from the provinces,” said Camua.

The last PBL conference was held March last year where Excelroof, composed of the core of former NCAA champion San Sebastian College, bagged the championship.

??? Does anyone know if draft day of PBL today went through as publicized thanks

father jejemon
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
??? Does anyone know if draft day of PBL today went through as publicized thanks

Sa tutoo lang, medyo lumabo ang PBL sa pagpasok ng D-League. Tentative opening date of PBL is March 5. Last I heard, nag back-out na raw ang Excelroof.

yellow_we
02-17-2011, 12:36 AM
This league is done. Thanks to D-League, Comm. Salud just buried PBL. :o

Agri-Nature, Pharex and Cobra are set to join D-League instead according to this news over GmaNews.Tv

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/213216/without-six-teams-no-pbl-for-now#

oca
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't think the PBA had anything to do with the demise of the PBL. All this reports we read now are more like obituaries, but the PBL has long been dead.

This was not a death from a single blow. Daming sugat ang tinamo ng PBL. Most notable to me are these three --

First, a self inflicted wound, it set an age limit as to who can play in the league.

Second, Chino Trinidad was not replaced soon enough, even when it was obvious the PBL was not among his priorities.

Third, and imo the most fatal, a good number of college programs nowadays prohibit their players from playing at the PBL. Kung tama ang bilang ko, for 3 or 4 years now programs like those of ADMU, DLSU, FEU and SBC have not permitted their players to play elsewhere during the second semester and summer . Here, the PBL was deprived of large number of players who can generate interest for the league.

Combine the 1st and 3rd factors, and one can imagine the quantity and quality of players available for the league.

Dapat tandaan, players ang attraction sa ganitong liga.

AnthonyServinio
02-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Servinio analyzes why the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) slowly deteriorated until its recent demise CLICK HERE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/goodbye-for-now-pbl/).

pio_valenz
02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Excellent analysis, oca. You nailed it. :)

I think the mere fact that 14 teams joined the PBA's D-League proves that there is still a market for a minor, semipro league. If I may also add, I think showing the PBL games on BTV was also a mistake. If you are a team owner, you'd want your product to be shown on free TV, either a VHF or UHF channel.

But then again, siguro final death blow na lang iyon. As oca pointed out, matagal nang palubog ang PBL. Nakakapanghinayang lang, pero ganoon talaga.

james_ty
02-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Excellent analysis, oca. You nailed it. :)

I think the mere fact that 14 teams joined the PBA's D-League proves that there is still a market for a minor, semipro league. If I may also add, I think showing the PBL games on BTV was also a mistake. If you are a team owner, you'd want your product to be shown on free TV, either a VHF or UHF channel.

But then again, siguro final death blow na lang iyon. As oca pointed out, matagal nang palubog ang PBL. Nakakapanghinayang lang, pero ganoon talaga.

The PBL games moved to BTV because Trinidad is a Solar talent and he used his influence as PBL commissioner to tell Wilson Tieng to transfer the games to Solar.

AnthonyServinio
10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I respectfully submit that this entire PBL Forum be moved to Bounce Past as one of its sub-forums until further notice of the league's reactivation. Thanks for the memories PBL.

bchoter
10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
And change the thread title to "PBL BC (Before Chino): Reminiscing the glory days of the PBL"