PDA

View Full Version : Donaire vs. Montiel

easter
12-23-2010, 10:45 AM
This is Nonito's biggest chance and his ticket to more big time fight. Both are big punchers and intelligent fighters. This has fight of the year candidate written all over it. 8)

bigfreeze_bibby
12-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Eto mga Sirs magandang laban din. Actually magandang i-train ng maayos si Nonito because of his height and length. Kung mahawakan siya ng isang Freddie Roach halimbawa, tingin ko malayo mararating ni Nonito. I agree with you easter, this could well-define Nonito's career & he should take this fight by heart. I just have this gut feel na after ni Pacquiao, Nonito will & can be Philippines' next big thing sa boxing.

Kid Cubao
01-02-2011, 06:26 AM
two technically cohesive fighters will be squaring off here. one is tempted to say that this is going to be a snoozefest in the vein of a fantasy fight between floyd junior and pernell whittaker. however, unlike the latter two, both donaire and fernado montiel are also known to mix it up and throw haymakers along the way.

in this fight, i see montiel pressing the issue and donaire countering with his quick left hooks. nonito will get into trouble once montiel gets inside and throws his feared body blows. what's more, montiel will try to make sure that as a proud mexican, he will not lose to a filipino fighter. masyado na silang nababalagoong dahil kay pacquiao.

lurkinggood
01-04-2011, 01:50 AM
masyado na silang nababalagoong dahil kay pacquiao.

super like...

Kid Cubao
02-20-2011, 12:55 PM
the filipino flash made short work of his opponent fernando montiel with a vicious left hook counterblow in the second round, sending him hard to the canvas. even after beating the count, montiel was clearly out of it when it was visible that he was still feeling his legs out. donaire finished him off by cornering the mexican champion and then unleashing a two-punch flurry, prompting the referee to put an end to the fight.

congrats to donaire!

coreytaylor
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
the bout was over in a Flash.

congratulations to Nonito Donaire. mabuhay Pilipinas!

The_Big_Cat
02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
And Montiel look liked a headless chicken sprawled on the floor. Kickin' his legs while lying down helpless. ;D
Donaire is just too big a fellow to stay on and fight at 118 lbs. He will have to go up.

fujima04
02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Para sa mga hindi pa nakakapanood:

Donaire vs. Montiel (http://sport-rewind.blogspot.com/2011/02/nonito-donaire-vs-fernando-montiel.html)

Mikhail
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Best left hook in the world KTFO another victim! ;D

Mikhail
02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Para sa mga hindi pa nakakapanood:

Donaire vs. Montiel (http://sport-rewind.blogspot.com/2011/02/nonito-donaire-vs-fernando-montiel.html)

Best left hook in the world feat. Fernando Montiel:
http://home.comcast.net/~antwuanmax/boxing/montiel-ktfo.gif

Best left hook in the world feat. Vic Darchinyan:
http://i18.tinypic.com/66xfyqg.gif

Kid Cubao
02-20-2011, 03:50 PM
thanks for the videos, mik!

one thing that grabs your attention is the compactness of donaire's left hook, very much like a check swing in golf. it's astounding how much power he generates with that check motion. in contrast, look at how darchinyan swings his arms way back. kitang-kita tuloy, parang tren na galing bicol na parating na ng tutuban station ;D

Mikhail
02-20-2011, 04:15 PM
^Kaya pala 'check hook' ang tawag ni Roy Jones Jr. Donaire also knocked down Sidorenko in the third round with the same left hook. Gawa ako mamaya gif nun, wala ako mahanap sa internet eh. ;D

tigerman
02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Congrats Nonito! Here's hoping for more Pinoy champ boxers. :)

Mikhail
02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Best left hook in the world feat. Wladimir Sidorenko:
http://www.imgnook.com/2sEo.gif

MonL
02-21-2011, 06:20 AM
thanks for the videos, mik!

one thing that grabs your attention is the compactness of donaire's left hook, very much like a check swing in golf. it's astounding how much power he generates with that check motion. in contrast, look at how darchinyan swings his arms way back. kitang-kita tuloy, parang tren na galing bicol na parating na ng tutuban station ;D

One word to describe Donaire's left hook: brutal.

oca
02-21-2011, 07:05 AM
We are familiar with the phrase "reflex action". Ito yung natural, instantaneous at involuntary action na ginagawa natin in response to something.

First time I saw that left hook was in the Sidorenko fight. All the while I thought it was an "opportunistic punch". Open ang kalaban sa left hook, sige bigyan ng left hook. But after seeing the Montiel fight and the Darchinyan video posted by Mikhail, it is clear to me that left hook is as natural as the blinking of the eyes.

Tignan niyo yung angle ng katawan mula sa bewang, yung pagpihit ng mga balikat kasabay sa direction ng kamao--- Iisa! Identical!

Parang reflex action lang ni Donaire yung pagbitaw ng left hook. It is triggered when an opponent releases a right punch that exposes the head on the same side, or when an opponent lunges to deliver a blow. Basta nasilip na walang depensa yung kanang bahagi ng mukha ng kalaban agarang nakakarating sa kaliwang kamao yung mensahe --- BOOM!

May nagrehistro sa mga mata, na-process sa utak at rumesponde ang kaliwa! All in a spilt of a second!

Until we see another compilation of left hooks by another fighter, we can say that Donaire's left hook is the most lethal among active fighters. Pwede ring sabihin, it is pound-for-pound the best left hook in boxing now.

Pero di pa ako tuwirang bilid kay Donaire. Question mark pa rin if he can take a punch. He is tall for this lower divisions and with a good jab, he has kept opponents at a distance. When he moves up in weight and take on opponents who are as tall or taller than him, that jab will not be as effective. Until makita natin siyang mapuruhan and see how he responds and recovers, we can't tell for sure if he has what it takes to be among the best.

Pero kung yung left hook lang ang pag-uuspan-- it has the making of a legend.

Kid Cubao
02-21-2011, 09:16 AM
^^ frankly, i don't know fully well, pero kung babalikan mo yung video ni sidorenko at montiel, you would notice that donaire uncorked his compact left hook after he got hit with his opponents' right hand. kumbaga, he would gladly trade hits because that's the style of counterpunchers, especially a quick one like him.

the one time, though, that i knew he got banged up pretty badly was the fight against mexico's oscar andrade, who officially weighed in at 125 pounds to donaire's 115, for the NABF superflyweight title--which donaire won via unanimous decision. on fight night, andrade ballooned to 130 pounds. of course, ginamit na lang ni donaire yung bilis nya laban kay andrade kaya di rin masyado makatama ang mexicano, but the few times he got hit, i could see the wind getting knocked out of nonito. at any rate, andrade was in a no-win situation having lost it at the weighing scale, kaya talagang baragan na lang ng kaluluwa ang habol nya. dun ko nakita yung defensive side ni donaire.

yungha
02-21-2011, 09:40 AM
^ on fight night montiel weighed 134 to nonito's 126. you can offset an 8-pound difference in the heavier weights like welter and middleweight but in the lighter weights, an 8-pound difference is HUGE.

montiel's known as one of the hardest hitters in the lighter weights. remember that he TKOd durable jap champion hozumi hasegawa in 4 rounds. then he destroyed rafael concepcion, whom nonito beat by UD, in 3 rounds. when monitel connected with a solid right to nonito's jaw, i was astonished that the flash didn't stagger or even flinch. nonito proved his granite chin in this bout.

also, nonito won despite being picked by teddy atlas to win. atlas has become legendary with his he pre-fight predictions like barrera over pac, hatton over pac, margarito over pac, zab judah over floyd, dela hoya over floyd, margarito over mosley, cotto over margarito, chris byrd over wlad klitschko and many many more. atlas should write nonito a check.

easter
02-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Donaire should now be considered the no. 2 the P4P list. Nonito dominated the best bantamweight in the world. JMM struggled with Katsidis and Baby Bull Diaz while he is more skilled than Sergio Martinez. great job Nonito!

My dad was the only individual I personally know that was so sure Donaire would win but neither of us expected it to be that quick.

Kid Cubao
02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
... nonito won despite being picked by teddy atlas to win. atlas has become legendary with his he pre-fight predictions like barrera over pac, hatton over pac, margarito over pac, zab judah over floyd, dela hoya over floyd, margarito over mosley, cotto over margarito, chris byrd over wlad klitschko and many many more. atlas should write nonito a check.

OT: teddy atlas has become the biggest source of amusement among boxing fans. i think he should stop commentating on ESPN and instead concentrate on training up-and-coming fighters. on the other hand, let him be ;D

mangtsito
02-21-2011, 10:37 AM
First round commentary....

D. CASTILLEJOS: Donaire looks dominating, Ronnie!

R. NATHANIELZ: No, not yet.

D. CASTILLEJOS: It looks like...

R. NATHANIELZ: He got in a couple of good shots.

= = = = = = = =

It's just like a Vietnam war veteran rolling his eyes in annoyance when somebody shows up at a neighborhood watch meeting in full battle gear. ;D

lurkinggood
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Unbelievable power in Nonito's left hook!

Montiel's mind was still asking to get up but his reflex was gone -- probably the reason why he was shaking his legs while down in the canvass.

Jaco D
02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Damn, that left hook sure is brutal! What makes it more deadly is the fact that it practically starts as a mass at rest and just accelerates to lethal levels in fractions of a second. The only thing I could think of that would be more lethal is the late Bruce Lee's "one-inch" punch. That Darchinyan dude is one crappy poker player: he shows his card well ahead with more than enough time for his opponent to think of something to counter the move. Buking na buking. Bu-bwelo-bwelo pa. Who's been teaching this guy how to box - Popeye?

mighty_lion
02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
That left hook reminds me of Mayweather's left hook to Hatton.

I wonder if Dark Knight is also a Donaire hater. Hehe.

oca
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Ang daming commentary that the attention and respect Donaire is getting now was long overdue. I think that is not correct. Paano mo gagawaran ng papuri ang isang tao na kailan mo lang nakitang lumaban at sa ilang laban na iyon ay ilan ba ang dekalibre?

Even among sports writers here, ilang laban na ni Donaire ang nasaksihan nila?

Yes, you can search for some of his fights at youtube, still there are not enough fights you can find online to allow a better appreciation of his skills and mettle.

More importantly, you are appraised against the level of your opponent.

Who was Manny Pacquiao before his first fight against Barrera?

Kid Cubao
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
i used to follow glenn donaire, who i thought was going to be a big star together with randy suico, a very promising lightweight. they made it up the rankings until then they ran into quality opponents at the title fight level: glenn was pitted against vic darchinyan for the IBF flyweight title, while suico faced juan diaz for the lightweight title. glenn lost via 6th round TKO, randy via a 12-round battering at the hands of the baby bull.

when later nonito got his chance to fight darchinyan, the subplot was all there--a young boxer wishing to avenge his elder brother's loss, a menacing fighter looking forward to annex another KO win on the other donaire. lo and behold, the unexpected happened. that's when i started following nonito donaire. good thing it's always on cable TV.

LION
02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
i used to follow glenn donaire, who i thought was going to be a big star together with randy suico, a very promising lightweight. they made it up the rankings until then they ran into quality opponents at the title fight level: glenn was pitted against vic darchinyan for the IBF flyweight title, while suico faced juan diaz for the lightweight title. glenn lost via 6th round TKO, randy via a 12-round battering at the hands of the baby bull.

when later nonito got his chance to fight darchinyan, the subplot was all there--a young boxer wishing to avenge his elder brother's loss, a menacing fighter looking forward to annex another KO win on the other donaire. lo and behold, the unexpected happened. that's when i started following nonito donaire. good thing it's always on cable TV.

Kid, I think this is the fight where the cocky Darchinyan broke Glenn's jaw. I actually wanted Nonito to have a rematch with Darchinyan because Nonito must break Darchinyan's jaw, left and right side, to make things even. Ok ok, kaliwa lang pala ang malakas kay Nonito. Kaya mahirap yung parehong panga. ;D

Bennie Bangag
02-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Donaire foe to get plastic surgery
By Jojo Malig, abs-cbnNEWS.com
Posted at 02/21/2011 8:55 PM | Updated as of 02/22/2011 3:16 PM

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02...lastic-surgery

MANILA, Philippines - Former Mexican bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel will have to undergo plastic surgery after his fight last Sunday against Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire.

Montiel, who kissed the canvas in the second round of their bout, reportedly had a hairline fracture and deep dent in the cheekbone where Donaire’s powerful left hook connected.

Donaire confirmed the report in his Facebook account.

“I want to give up 2 things to God: my win last night and also Montiel’s speedy recovery for his zygomatic bone fracture and reconstructive surgery. In both moments, only He can help us,” he said.

In an interview with TV Patrol Monday night, Donaire said the counter left hook that landed on Montiel was the “biggest and hardest punch” that he has ever made in his career so far.

“Ang ginawa ko lang ay i-set up iyung punch….proper balance, proper speed,” said Donaire, who is now seen by analysts as boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao’s heir apparent.

He said his left hand hurts. “Actually, sumasakit ito eh. Na-feel ko it’s swelling.”

Donaire, now World Boxing Council and World Boxing Organization bantamweight champion, said he did not expect his opponent to get up from the blow.

“Akala ko, hindi na tatayo si Montiel, but being a champion that he is, it was a normal reaction niya na to stand up and be proud of who he is.”

Donaire said the victory has yet to fully sink in. “Parang panaginip pa rin. Hindi ko alam kung anong masasabi ko.”

He said he does not know yet who his next opponent is. “It’s more of the negotiation process muna. That’s up to Top Rank and my manager.”

He, however, said he wants to unify all the belts in the bantamweight division first. “Sana bigyan nila ako ng pagkakataon na maging undisputed champion.”

yungha
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Before:

http://i56.tinypic.com/28i6f7n.jpg

After:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d0/fullj.18fdb6fa0d7a72b35b2ce70edb76b2d9/18fdb6fa0d7a72b35b2ce70edb76b2d9-getty-107958842em034_fernando_mon.jpg

toti_mendiola
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
yayukinana. That is one disturbing visual. Mabuti hindi nag pop out mata ni montiel.

Kid Cubao
02-23-2011, 05:32 PM
you can say that again. parang biktima ng police brutality. all the best to senor fernando.

MonL
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
^You should have seen Rudy Tomjanovic's face after he got sucker punched by rock-hard Kermit Washington with just one haymaker.... He was never the same after that. I hate to see that kind of damage again, especially on prizefighters where just one wicked punch or an accumulation of it over a career may eventually be life-threatening. I hope Montiel would recover eventually.