PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao vs. Mosley

easter
12-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Some people say that Mosley will not do good in this fight but don't believe everything you read out there. There was a reason Mosley did not perform well in the last two fights, Mayweather and Mora ran away from him that is why there wasn't too much action. Mosley is a slam bang fighter just like Cotto and Margarito so his fight with the Pacman will be fun to watch.

I believe Berto, Marquez and even Sergio Martinez will be future fights down the line it is not just happening now so people should not be upset. Hindi naman pwedeng labanan ni Pacman ng sabay sabay yan ;D. Mosley is the priority now because he is the bigger draw among them and they want to fight him (a boxing legend) before he retires.

This fight also gives a hint to Marquez and possibly Berto on how to get a fight with Pacquiao. Leave GBP just like what Mosley did by becoming a freelancer since Arum and the Pacman doesn't want to do business with Dela Hoya unless it is Mayweather.

As for Mayweather, we may never see this fight materialize.

The_Big_Cat
12-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Among the three fighters from Berto, Marquez and Mosley that were being considered for Pacquiao's next fight, Mosley stands out from the rest primarily because he attracts more money than the others.

From what I read from the news last night the catch weight for the May bout against Mosley will be 147 lbs.

easter
12-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I think 147 is not a catch weight but is the actual weight limit for the Welterweight title. Pacman may not hang on to the Super welterweight belt since the division is just too heavy for him.

bigfreeze_bibby
12-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Mga Bossing, I just don't see Mosley standing a chance against Pacquiao's speed. Kahit na magtayuan pa silang dalawa and the match goes into a slugfest, wala pang papantay sa hand speed ni Pacman. Ibang klase talaga e. I expect the same (or better) hand speed that the Pacman showed dun sa laban nila ni Margarito, and if this happens, bagsak na si Mosley ng mga 5th round siguro.

For this match, si Pacquiao lang ang puedeng tumalo sa sarili niya. Kung hindi siya mag-train or magpabaya siya, dun siya matatalo pero if he takes this seriously, another walk in the park for the Pacman, next opponent please na ang usapan dito. There's no way that Mosley will beat Pacman, unless mandaya siya.

easter
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Mga Bossing, I just don't see Mosley standing a chance against Pacquiao's speed. Kahit na magtayuan pa silang dalawa and the match goes into a slugfest, wala pang papantay sa hand speed ni Pacman. Ibang klase talaga e.

I agree sir but who could stand to the Pacman in this day and age? Floyd could match the speed but will be overwhelmed by the power. In this weight Marquez will not be able to handle the onslaught of more powerful punches from a heavier Pacman. Sergio Martinez meanwhile might survive the power but what about the speed?

bigfreeze_bibby
12-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree sir but who could stand to the Pacman in this day and age? Floyd could match the speed but will be overwhelmed by the power. In this weight Marquez will not be able to handle the onslaught of more powerful punches from a heavier Pacman. Sergio Martinez meanwhile might survive the power but what about the speed?

Yep. Mukhang wala nang mailaban na iba e hehe. Siguro ang mindset na lang dito e lumaban na lang siya kesa naman maging rusty kung sakaling matuloy man ang laban nila ni Mayweather in the distant future. Distant because as we all know mahaba-haba pa ang laban ni Pretty Boy Floyd sa korte because of his legal issues. Mukhang hindi na nga ata matutuloy laban nila ni Pacman hehe.

The_Big_Cat
12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Pwede rin natin sabihin psycological tactic ni Pacman yan against Floyd. Doing better than what Floyd did against Dela Hoya, Hatton and soon Mosley.

easter
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
^Psychological and historical tactic din just in case di talaga lumaban si Floyd. Historians will be content in comparing them and the point of reference will undoubtedly be their common opponents.

Emon74
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I never like the way they choose Mosley as an opponent for Pacquiao, para compare nalang ng common opponents for the guy (Mayweather) who doesnt want to fight him, Bob Arum is destroying Pacman's reputation on taking a Seniors Tour (Shane turns 40 next year), I believe Andre Berto is far more deserving, pera nalang habol ni Mosley, I dont think its not even worth calling this a super match up, while in Boxing, possible ang upsets, pag natalo si Pacquiao, does anyone think Mosley will be put at number 1? kung si Berto, Pac will be up against a young, undefeated guy, motivated to put himself in the pound for pound rankings.

Kid Cubao
12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
^^ andre berto strung up his undefeated record against doorknobs and bathroom fixtures. he is still largely unknown outside boxing circles save for the fact that he backed out of the sugar shane fight to search for surviving relatives in port-au-prince after the earthquake tragedy (although there are loud whispers that he was actually paid to "step aside" for floyd junior kasi nga matumal ang bentahan ng mosley-berto fight.)

that being said, i'm still not sure about the wisdom of a mosley vs pacquiao matchup. mosley is a shot fighter who looked his age against floydie. he will give it his all until the 4th round, even try to knock manny out, and that's about it. when the bell for the 5th round rings, you can be sure that shane mosley will do everything in his power to end the fight standing on two legs.

but don't give too much credit to berto--he's not even in the same class as miguel cotto or even ricardo mayorga, the chain-smoking nicaraguan and former welterweight and junior middleweight title holder who recently un-retired at age 37. for me, it's sergio martinez who poses the biggest challenge to pacquiao.

bigfreeze_bibby
12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
for me, it's sergio martinez who poses the biggest challenge to pacquiao.

Eto Boss mukhang agree ako dito. Same weight class ba sila ni Pacman? I think mas mataas weight class ni Sergio. Middleweight ata si Sergio if I am not mistaken.

easter
12-30-2010, 03:01 PM
for me, it's sergio martinez who poses the biggest challenge to pacquiao.

Eto Boss mukhang agree ako dito. Same weight class ba sila ni Pacman? I think mas mataas weight class ni Sergio. Middleweight ata si Sergio if I am not mistaken.

Sir bibby, Martinez is 2 weight classes ahead of Pacquiao. He is a middleweight while Pacman is a welterweight. I agree with Cubao, Martinez is actually the person who has the biggest chance to beat and even KO Pacquiao right now. They (Pacman's handlers) say Martinez is way too big but I see them fighting down the road if both fighters continue to be successful and Martinez doesn't go up in weight anymore.

The_Big_Cat
12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Kung buhay pa si Edwin Valero (RIP), malamang sila ni Pacquiao ang mag tutuos since both fighters are from the same stable.

Kid Cubao
12-31-2010, 07:33 AM
the good thing is that sergio martinez has expressed his willingness to go down in weight to fight manny. he understood, more than any fighter out there, that it was manny who cemented his legendary status by moving up in weight to fight the best ones at the heavier decisions, so he said this time, it'll be him who will undertake the weight adjustment. that's what scuttled the pacquiao-JMM exploratory talks--si el dinamita pa ang nag-de-demand na bumaba sa 135 pounds si manny, which pacquiao took as a crude insult.

easter
12-31-2010, 08:38 AM
si el dinamita pa ang nag-de-demand na bumaba sa 135 pounds si manny, which pacquiao took as a crude insult.

Not only that, JMM also demanded double the guaranteed money as compared to his fight with Floyd. Minsan iniisip ko tuloy maybe JMM reality don't want to fight Pacman anymore. Baka pang press release na lang eh. He was the one aching for a fight (one could say that it is the lone motivation for his career at this point) and yet when he got the chance he demanded too many things.

bigfreeze_bibby
12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
With the money considerations, puede pang makalusot pero yung hamunin mo si Pacman to go down on weight para magkatuos kayo e sampal nga yun sa mukha ni Pacman. Kung siya ang nanghamon (referring to JMM) e di dapat sa tingin ko siya ang umangat ng timbang. Napakalaking kalokohan naman ang inaasam ni JMM. With that, I think he'll get a shot with Pacman in his dreams forever.

yungha
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
^^ andre berto strung up his undefeated record against doorknobs and bathroom fixtures. he is still largely unknown outside boxing circles save for the fact that he backed out of the sugar shane fight to search for surviving relatives in port-au-prince after the earthquake tragedy (although there are loud whispers that he was actually paid to "step aside" for floyd junior kasi nga matumal ang bentahan ng mosley-berto fight.)

that being said, i'm still not sure about the wisdom of a mosley vs pacquiao matchup. mosley is a shot fighter who looked his age against floydie. he will give it his all until the 4th round, even try to knock manny out, and that's about it. when the bell for the 5th round rings, you can be sure that shane mosley will do everything in his power to end the fight standing on two legs.

but don't give too much credit to berto--he's not even in the same class as miguel cotto or even ricardo mayorga, the chain-smoking nicaraguan and former welterweight and junior middleweight title holder who recently un-retired at age 37. for me, it's sergio martinez who poses the biggest challenge to pacquiao.

i don't understand either why pacquiao has to "prove" himself against guys like berto or tim bradley or devon alexander. it's pac who's already proven himself by rising up in weight and taking on the biggest and baddest in each division. 13 out of pac's last 15 fights were against current or former world champions including multiple division champs and future HOFers dela hoya, barrera, morales and marquez. all in all he's fought against 15 different world champs. in contrast berto has fought against 3 - collazo, urango and quintana. and these 3 lost their titles in their first title defense, so they're not really high quality champions like the fighters manny faced. put him in the ring vs pac now and he could get seriously damaged.

Dark Knight
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
this time, im praying doubly hard for a Mosley win...

or ill act like Barney for the next 3 days after the fight..

Down with Money Pakyaw!!!!

Kid Cubao
05-05-2011, 10:58 AM
^^ thanks for officially jinxing shane mosley ;D

Jaco D
05-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Have you guys seen Fight Camp 360: Showtime's answer to HBO's 24/7?

Boriiiiiiiiiiing!

Kid Cubao
05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
liev schreiber as voiceover of 24/7 already trumps the entire fight camp 360 series.

yungha
05-05-2011, 03:17 PM
^ so that was lieve schrieber. never knew it was him. but i agree that hbo 24/7 was more captivating than the present fight camp 360. fight camp 360 is more in-depth boxing wise, better for the hardcore boxing fan. but 24/7 had so much more stuff that had nothing to do with boxing - here is freddy roach drinking coffee, here is robert garcia going to the store, here is manny with senator reid, here is ricky hatton's son who loves football, ... - which makes it so much more interesting.

Jaco D
05-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Pre-fight mini-series like 24/7 and "360" were supposed to woo the public to buy access to these fights shown only on premium cable (Ka-ching! Ka-ching!). With the sudden surge in public interest in boxing and the "threat" that the major networks are wooing these fights back to network television just like in the old days, you kinda wonder if we'll be seeing more of these shows in the future. Boxing back at the major networks would be an advertisers' nirvana! Parang Super Bowl on a smaller scale. No need to make such elaborate pre-fight series as advertisers would beat a path to your door. Yun lang nga, you'll have 3-minute rounds with 10-minute ads space in between (specially those protracted TKO fights) to satisfy network contractual obligations. Anyone old enough to remember those fights would have second thoughts about boxing back at network television.

I agree "360" seemed to be geared more to the hardcore boxing fan and just lets the protagonists and their posse do the talking (ang laking tipid nila sa voice-over :)). Yung 24/7 naman caters more to the human interest side of boxing, and shows fighters to be no different from Joe Blow and his ilk. In short, pang "That's Entertainment".

tigerman
05-08-2011, 03:03 PM
The match (except for Pac's 3rd round KO of Shane and the controversial k.o. called by Kenny Bayless against Pac) was Pacman-Clottey 2.0 all over again. Shame Mosley didn't want to engage with Pac after that 3rd round KO. He was basically on survival mode the rest of the match.

Kid Cubao
05-08-2011, 04:04 PM
this is what i originally said:

... mosley is a shot fighter who looked his age against floydie. he will give it his all until the 4th round, even try to knock manny out, and that's about it. when the bell for the 5th round rings, you can be sure that shane mosley will do everything in his power to end the fight standing on two legs.

well, nothing much manny could do after shane refused to trade punches and ran away at every turn. from hereon, this fight will go down in history as the "sometimes when we touch" match ;D

by the way, tigerman, it's a knockdown or KD for short. a knockout is when you fail to beat the count, like when pacquiao hammered ricky hatton or nonito donaire clobbered vic darchinyan.

tigerman
05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
KC, salamat sa correction.

But wait there's more, nanood na naman si JMM ng match ni Manny. Kating-kati talaga. ;D

pio_valenz
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
JMM and Manny supposedly talked backstage after the weigh-in last Friday. IMHO their third bout, if it does push through in November, is around two years too late.

abcdef
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
JMM and Manny supposedly talked backstage after the weigh-in last Friday. IMHO their third bout, if it does push through in November, is around two years too late.

and it wouldn't be fought in the weight division that JMM last fought him. . . .I think this time Manny will convincingly win that is IF this fight happens!

yungha
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
what's embarrassing is that sugar shane was actually challenging for manny title so he should have been the aggressor. you don't fight that passively if you're the challenger.

i also felt that manny carried mosley in the middle rounds. he could have pressed harder for an early stoppage but didn't do so to give the fans a longer fight.

masterful performance, as usual, by manny but perform like that vs floyd and he'll lose by wide UD. floyd will run away like shane did but floyd is much slicker, quicker and a better counterpuncher than shane by far. manny should figure out how to get more power punches thru tight defenses, anticipate where floyd will run and do a better job at cutting off the ring.

MonL
05-09-2011, 12:39 AM
And once again, Bob Arum suckered a lot of paying fans by making them believe his promotional hype and shell out lots of money for admission. :P

With a possible third fight with JMM looming in the distance, I am once more reminded of a famous actress-turned politician's retort:

"It's not my fault anymore, it's your fault anymore." :P

easter
05-09-2011, 09:20 AM
masterful performance, as usual, by manny but perform like that vs floyd and he'll lose by wide UD. floyd will run away like shane did but floyd is much slicker, quicker and a better counterpuncher than shane by far. manny should figure out how to get more power punches thru tight defenses, anticipate where floyd will run and do a better job at cutting off the ring.

Actually after seeing this fight I think Floyd will be more afraid of Manny than ever before. Mosley is a fighter that fights toe-to-toe. Boxers ran away from Mosley not the other way around. Even if Mosley is hurt he just clinches and he doesn't run away. In this fight 90% Mosley was running away for the first time. So if Mosley ran away how frightening that sight will be to Floyd.

Kid Cubao
05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
indeed it is rare that mosley's doing all the running, but he had to if he wanted to finish the fight in one piece. in his postfight interview, mosley was shocked at pacman's power--he learned it the hard way when he got floored in the 3rd round. as a result, mosley's right was on perpetual guard that basically rendered him one-handed the rest of the fight.

let's give credit where credit is due. yan ang pagkakaiba ni mosley kay el dinamita. when JMM was knocked down three times in the first round, he didn't run away; instead he clawed and fought his way back to earn a draw against manny. in their rematch, JMM got drilled with a straight left and kissed the canvas, but again he fought his way back to a close loss. and marquez isn't that much younger because he's just about the same age as shane.

yungha
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Actually after seeing this fight I think Floyd will be more afraid of Manny than ever before. Mosley is a fighter that fights toe-to-toe. Boxers ran away from Mosley not the other way around. Even if Mosley is hurt he just clinches and he doesn't run away. In this fight 90% Mosley was running away for the first time. So if Mosley ran away how frightening that sight will be to Floyd.

it's a question of styles. floyd won't trade. he'll run away, stick and jab, run away, stick and jab and he's the best in the business with that style. if manny can't catch him, it won't matter that he hits harder than a mule. at the same time, if manny can't catch a 39-year old shane mosley, how can he expect to catch a superbly conditioned floyd mayweather. if you recall, manny also had trouble catching a backpedaling miguel cotto in the later rounds of their fight and got peppered with jabs (of course, manny was way ahead at that point).

all i'm saying is manny has to do a better job catching opponents. his foes didn't respect the little man's power when he was moving up but they fear him now. now, few fighters are willing to go toe-to-toe with him. manny has to adjust again, reengineer his game if he wants to stay on top.

easter
05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
^ In my estimation it was Cotto who was being rained down with punches even while back pedaling which eventually caused the stoppage of the fight.

Floyd comes into a fight not to survive but to win and protect his unblemished record. Even if he can survive Pacquiao, can he win? Manny did not pressure Mosley and was also bothered by cramps. They will eventually solve that cramp thing and Pacquiao will pressure Floyd no end so fighting with just running will not cut it with Floyd.

fujima04
05-09-2011, 01:25 PM
IMO, one thing I am looking forward is how ferocious Manny would be if he will go up against Mayweather. We know that there's bad blood between these two fighters.

From what I see in the previous fights of Manny, most of them have a good/friendly relationship with Manny. Manny always feels sorry about his opponents and subsequently holding back his punches.

In the Pacquaio-Mosley fight, I noticed Manny got mad when his slip was ruled as a KD by the referee. The friendly stance in Manny suddenly disappear after that call.

I also remember one of the commentators in this Pacquiao-Mosley fight said that Manny should not feel sorry about his opponent and it is his job to knock his opponent out.

I want to see a merciless Manny against Floyd. I expect Manny to go all out afterall that happened between him, the Mayweathers and GBP.

MonL
05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
indeed it is rare that mosley's doing all the running, but he had to if he wanted to finish the fight in one piece. in his postfight interview, mosley was shocked at pacman's power--he learned it the hard way when he got floored in the 3rd round. as a result, mosley's right was on perpetual guard that basically rendered him one-handed the rest of the fight.

let's give credit where credit is due. yan ang pagkakaiba ni mosley kay el dinamita. when JMM was knocked down three times in the first round, he didn't run away; instead he clawed and fought his way back to earn a draw against manny. in their rematch, JMM got drilled with a straight left and kissed the canvas, but again he fought his way back to a close loss. and marquez isn't that much younger because he's just about the same age as shane.

Kid, when Manny first fought JMM, he was still a work in progress, i.e., a one-armed fighter. Roach saw that and made critical tweaks in Pac's arsenal. The second fight saw a significant progression in Pac. A third fight will just make it all the more obvious: Pac's now the superior fighter in a heavier weight class. JMM may be brave, but at this late stage he wont bring any surprises to the table. He couldn't hack it against a powderpuff boxer like Mayweather, he certainly won't against a volume power puncher who can now unload hurting blows from either fists. He has no one in his corner with the caliber of Roach who can change his game.

yungha
05-09-2011, 08:28 PM
^ manny was also weight-drained in their 2nd fight. now manny can eat as much as he wants and still comfortably make the proposed catch weight of 144. but i hope there's no catch if only to further spite jmm, make him realize he's in no position to make demands on the pound-for-pound king.

easter
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Now Mosley it seems is insinuating steroids. oh well...

blueatheart
05-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Talo kasi. He pointed to an article written by an UNNAMED PERSON. Hell, I can even write an article wherein I can claim to be a former sparring partner of Sugar Mosley and say that he KNOWINGLY took steroids.

mangtsito
05-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Okay, the "he was running away so I couldn't engage him" is beginning to get stale as an excuse. My question is, is it a valid excuse? Is it really impossible to knock out an opponent who is on survival mode and just runs and runs? Because if that's the case, any competent enough boxer could make money off Pacquiao and avoid damage by just running away from Manny.

Putting the question in another way, is there a legitimate counter-strategy that can be devised against opponents whose main strategy is to run? If there is, I suggest they get to it before Manny's last fights before retirement would be his most boring ones.

mighty_lion
05-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Putting the question in another way, is there a legitimate counter-strategy that can be devised against opponents whose main strategy is to run? If there is, I suggest they get to it before Manny's last fights before retirement would be his most boring ones.

I think ref should have warned Mosley that if he will continue to run and not engage in a fight he will call the fight off.

Kid Cubao
05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

you can cut off the ring, which is basically blocking his escape routes with quick lateral steps to paint him in a corner. i believe pacquiao would have been able to cut him off were it not for cramping in his lower leg. instead cyberspace is abuzz about this perceived weakness by pacman.

GHRanger
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I think ref should have warned Mosley that if he will continue to run and not engage in a fight he will call the fight off.

ML, in Judo, we get penalized for inactivity. :) Siguro kay Pac lang nila nakikitang tumitiklop yung kalaban.