PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NBA Draft

Schortsanitis
11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer111210&print=1

Next year’s draft facing talent drain

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports

Nov 12, 5:57 pm EST

NBA scouts project the 2011 draft to be lean on top talent, and the pool of prospects could be even more shallow if some college underclassmen and international prospects don’t enter the draft for fear of a potential lockout. One scout likened this year’s class to the 2006 draft, when the Toronto Raptors took Andrea Bargnani with the No. 1 pick. That draft has so far produced just two All-Stars: Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy (No. 6) and Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo (No. 21).

North Carolina freshman swingman Harrison Barnes could go as No. 1 pick in 2011 and has the potential to be a difference-maker for an NBA team. But scouts are projecting few others.

“This is a bad draft,” one scout said. “There will be a lot of players there, but no one special.”

Here’s an early look at 10 of the top prospects rated by NBA scouts.

1. Harrison Barnes, SG-SF, North Carolina freshman, 6-8, 210 pounds – Scout’s take: “He can score the basketball in bunches, really score. But can he make people around him better? He’s also a good rebounder, but he needs to improve his passing and defense. There’s a lot of work to do. He’s not a readymade player.”

2. Perry Jones, PF, Baylor freshman, 6-11, 220 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s very long and athletic. A lot of people say he is lazy and has a very low motor, but he does have a great skill set.”

3. Kyrie Irving, PG-SG, Duke freshman, 6-1, 172 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s the next Rod Strickland. One-and-done players are kind of rare there, but he’s good enough to play in the NBA next year. He’s a real true point guard. He makes tough plays and is a good passer. He’s like Chris Paul, limited size-wise.”

4. Jonas Valanciunas, PF-C, Lithuania Lietuvos Rytas, 6-11, 230 pounds – Scout’s take: “Very long and can go to the glass on both ends. Can score in transition; plays above the rim. Nice hands. Still needs to work on strength against bigger players in the post. Playing big minutes in Europe against men.”

5. Donatas Motiejunas, PF-C, Italy Benetton Treviso, 7-0, 215 pounds – Scout’s take: “Long left-hander who can go to the post and score. Inconsistent, but can play above the rim. Like his skill set. Needs to get stronger. Could be special in time. Game more suited for NBA than Europe with his quickness.”

6. Jan Vesely, SF, KK Partizan Belgrade, 6-11, 240 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s having a slow start for Partizan. He’s an energy player, high-motor kid. He’s receding a little. He hasn’t produced the way a top-five pick should. He’s an above-the-rim, hustle guy.”

7. John Henson, PF, North Carolina sophomore, 6-10, 200 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s long with freakish arms for a 7-foot-1 wingspan. Very good ball skills. Used to be a point guard. Needs to improve his shooting and get in the weight room. He’s very thin with narrow shoulders.”

8. Mason Plumlee, C, Duke sophomore, 6-11, 210 pounds – Scout’s take: “Good athlete who had a solid freshman year and will be better this year. He has athleticism, size, great motor, finishes around the basket and toughness. Skill set not great, but he can improve.”

9. Josh Selby, PG, Kansas freshman, 6-1, 180 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s a Jonny Flynn-type of point guard. High energy. He will pick up the pace of a game. Definitely likes to go to basket. He can apply a lot of pressure on defense.”

10. Enes Kantner, PF-C, Turkey, 6-9, 250 pounds – Scout’s take: “He set a scoring record at the Hoop Summit breaking Dirk Nowitzki’s mark. Scouts saw him be a dominant player. He is a very gifted player inside, solid rebounder. He will be a good, not great player. It might help his stock that he doesn’t play at Kentucky.”

Other prospects: Alec Burks, Colorado, Soph., G; C.J. Leslie, North Carolina State, Fr., SF-PF; Marcus Morris, Kansas, Jr., PF; Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, Fr., PF; Kyle Singler, Duke, Sr. SF; Chris Singleton, Florida State, Jr., PF; Renardo Sidney, Mississippi State, So., PF; Jeff Taylor, Vanderbilt, Jr., SF; Trey Thompkins, Georgia, Jr., PF; Jeremy Tyler, Japan Toyko Apache, C; Kemba Walker, Connecticut, Jr., PG.

BLUE HORSE
11-16-2010, 06:17 AM
They should forget about Mason Plumlee. He is not leaving Duke after this season because his younger brother has signed to play for Duke. The Plumlee brothers will take turns playing the 4-5 for Duke. We may even see a Plumlee on the floor during the whole game.

They forgot to mention Smith of Duke, he will graduate at the end of the season but will be an undersized shooting guard who can motor.

Outlander
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer111210&print=1

4. Jonas Valanciunas, PF-C, Lithuania Lietuvos Rytas, 6-11, 230 pounds – Scout’s take: “Very long and can go to the glass on both ends. Can score in transition; plays above the rim. Nice hands. Still needs to work on strength against bigger players in the post. Playing big minutes in Europe against men.”

5. Donatas Motiejunas, PF-C, Italy Benetton Treviso, 7-0, 215 pounds – Scout’s take: “Long left-hander who can go to the post and score. Inconsistent, but can play above the rim. Like his skill set. Needs to get stronger. Could be special in time. Game more suited for NBA than Europe with his quickness.”

6. Jan Vesely, SF, KK Partizan Belgrade, 6-11, 240 pounds – Scout’s take: “He’s having a slow start for Partizan. He’s an energy player, high-motor kid. He’s receding a little. He hasn’t produced the way a top-five pick should. He’s an above-the-rim, hustle guy.”

10. Enes Kantner, PF-C, Turkey, 6-9, 250 pounds – Scout’s take: “He set a scoring record at the Hoop Summit breaking Dirk Nowitzki’s mark. Scouts saw him be a dominant player. He is a very gifted player inside, solid rebounder. He will be a good, not great player. It might help his stock that he doesn’t play at Kentucky.”

Four international players who could possibly go top 10 in the draft next year, that's a good sign for international basketball. I've heard of Motiejunas, Vesely, and Kanter, but I'm not too familiar with Valanciunas. All four guys are 6-9 and above, so these guys are tall dudes, which makes them quite appealing for NBA scouts.

Outlander
04-07-2011, 08:09 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-duke-irvingleaving

Irving leaving Duke after 1 season for NBA

DURHAM, N.C. (AP)—Point guard Kyrie Irving is leaving Duke after one season to enter the NBA draft.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement issued Wednesday by the school that Irving plans to hire an agent, ending his college career.

“Our whole program is overjoyed with having Kyrie here for one year and that he has the chance now to pursue a dream of being a high draft pick and a great player in the NBA,” Krzyzewski said. “We are totally supportive of Kyrie, his family and his decision. We look forward to continuing to work with him during the upcoming months leading to his entry into the NBA and afterwards while he is an NBA player.”

Irving played only 11 games and missed roughly two-thirds of the season with an injured big toe on his right foot. The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 17.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists for top-seeded Duke, which was upset by Arizona in the West regional semifinals.

“It was a great experience playing for Coach K,” Irving said. “He taught me a lot about the game. Even when I was hurt, I learned a lot. Also a special thanks goes to the medical staff for getting me back on the court for the NCAA Tournament and my teammates for sticking with me throughout the entire year. Duke offered me an experience I could never have imagined.”

When Irving was healthy, he was electrifying. His 31-point performance against then-No. 6 Michigan State marked just the fourth time in school history that a freshman scored 30 points in a game. He was the MVP of the CBE Classic after averaging 14.5 points and six assists.

But his only season at Duke ultimately might be defined by the 26 games he missed after he jammed his toe during a win over Butler on Dec. 4, and the lingering subplot surrounding the Blue Devils was when—or even if—he would return.

He worked out in full public view before an Atlantic Coast Conference tournament game in uniform shorts and sneakers, told reporters after the championship game win over North Carolina that he could return and wound up coming off the bench for Duke’s NCAA tournament opener against Hampton. He reached double figures in scoring in each of his three tournament games, capped by a 28-point showing in the loss to Arizona.

After that game, he said he didn’t want to take off his No. 1 jersey and could see himself wearing it again as a sophomore, but wanted to consult with his coaches, family and friends before coming to a final decision on his future.

“This was a special year for me. I love everything about Duke and I’m going to miss it,” added Irving. “Duke has a special place in my heart. Even though I’m leaving this year, Duke will always be in my mind and my heart. I’m going to miss putting on that No. 1 jersey.”

Irving’s departure leaves another hole in the Duke lineup that will be missing graduated seniors Nolan Smith, the ACC’s player of the year, and Kyle Singler, the most outstanding player at last year’s Final Four. Among the Blue Devils’ incoming freshmen is guard Austin Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers and one of the nation’s highest-rated recruits.

Outlander
04-08-2011, 07:50 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-kansas-morristwins-draft

Jayhawks’ Morris twins declare for NBA draft

By DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP)—Kansas twins Marcus and Markieff Morris are skipping their senior seasons with the Jayhawks, choosing instead to hire an agent and enter the NBA draft.

The forwards from Philadelphia led the team in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots last season, when the Jayhawks went 35-3, won the Big 12 regular-season and tournament titles, and advanced to the regional finals as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The Morris brothers announced their intentions Thursday through Rival Sports Group and agent Tony Dutt, who will represent them during the draft and contract negotiations.

Kansas coach Bill Self said about a week ago that he wouldn’t be surprised if the twins turned pro, “but certainly it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t. It’s kind of up in the air.”

It sure isn’t anymore.

“I have enjoyed my three seasons as a Kansas Jayhawk, and consider it a privilege to have had the opportunity to play for Coach Self and his staff,” Marcus Morris said in a statement. “It was a difficult decision, but I feel it’s the right time for me to realize my dream.”

Marcus, a second-team All-American, averaged 17.2 points and 7.6 rebounds last season, while Markieff was an honorable-mention All-American after averaging 13.6 points and 8.3 rebounds.

“As I move on to the professional stage of my career, I will always remember my time as a Jayhawk,” Markieff Morris said. “Playing here has prepared me for the opportunity to have a successful career in the NBA.”

Their decision came a day after junior guard Tyshawn Taylor and sophomore forward Thomas Robinson announced they plan to remain at Kansas next season.

Neither of them were considered as polished and NBA-ready as the Morris brothers. Marcus, who stands 6-foot-8, and Markieff, who is just a hair taller, are considered good rebounds with the ability to score around the basket as well as stretch defenses to the perimeter.

The only real question was whether the close-knit brothers, born about 7 minutes apart, could stand being away from each other. They’re almost certain to go to different NBA teams.

While their decision leaves a gaping hole in the Jayhawks’ front line, it should also help Self put together his recruiting class. There was some uncertainty who would declare for the draft, leaving the coaching staff unsure how many scholarships it would have available.

Naadir Tharpe, a 6-foot point guard from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., and highly touted 6-5 shooting guard Ben McLemore of St. Louis have already committed to the Jayhawks.

DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 forward from Florida, is also high on Self’s list, as is Braeden Anderson, a 6-8, 215-pound forward from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts.

coreytaylor
04-13-2011, 08:53 AM
UConn’s Kemba Walker to enter NBA draft
By PAT EATON-ROBB, Associated Press

STORRS, Conn. (AP)—Connecticut’s Kemba Walker says the school’s decision to put his name and number on the wall of its basketball arena helped him decide it was time to head to the NBA.

“I think from that point out it did, because it was like coach just kicked me out,” the junior All-American said. “It says 2008 to 2011 (on the banner), so it was like he’s (saying), ‘Let’s get him out of here.”’

Walker announced Tuesday he will enter the June draft. He said he has not hired an agent, but has been talking to them.

“There’s no chance that I’m coming back,” Walker said before joking: “Coach, like he said, he doesn’t have a scholarship for me.”

The 6-foot-1 guard led the Huskies to a 32-9 record, including an 11-0 postseason run that ended with a national championship. Walker is expected to be a first-round pick, and perhaps the second guard chosen behind Duke’s Kyrie Irving.

Walker said he’s been motivated by criticism that he’s too short and won’t be able to guard players in the NBA.

“Hopefully, I can go into the NBA and once again prove all the doubters wrong, like I’ve been doing my whole life” he said.

Walker averaged 23.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.5 assists during his junior season. He scored a school record 965 points, accounting for 45 percent of the Huskies’ offense.

Walker on Tuesday thanked coach Jim Calhoun “for turning me into a man.” Calhoun had advised Walker to leave.

“He’s ready to move on as a basketball player, both emotionally and physically,” Calhoun said. “He just completed the finest basketball season in the history of this university—in 111 years I believe it is. He’ done everything humanly possible in my opinion that he possibly can do, including winning a national championship.”

Walker came into the season averaging just under 12 points, but quickly established himself as the team’s unquestioned leader, scoring 31, 30 and 29 points in powering the Huskies to the Maui Invitational title in November.

He scored 30 or more points 11 times during the season, and 20 or more points 27 times, winning the Bob Cousy award as the nation’s top point guard.

Last week, Walker became the 14th Connecticut player to have his name and number placed on the “Huskies of Honor” wall in Gampel Pavilion—the first to receive the honor while he was still in school. The honor means any future Huskies will have to ask Walker for permission if they want to wear his No. 15.

Walker was on track to graduate by the end of this summer, and said completing his degree is still a priority, though it may not happen that quickly.

“I’m going to take all the time I need to graduate,” he said.

Walker is the 13th Connecticut player to leave school early. Center Hasheem Thabeet was the last in 2009.

Walker finishes his career in seventh place on the school’s scoring list with 1,783 points in 111 games.

His departure means Connecticut will return four starters and nine players from its national championship team next season. The Huskies also will add another point guard in Ryan Boatright, a blue chip recruit from Illinois.

Walker said he wished he could stay to see how much that team improves, “but like I said, it’s just time.”

Calhoun said no matter what they accomplish next season, the Huskies will miss Walker, as a player and a leader.

“I’m starting to miss him now, actually,” Calhoun said. “So I’ll probably start yelling at him just to feel at home.”

source: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-uconn-walker

Outlander
04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/04/13/williams.nba.draft.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Pac-10 player of the year Williams leaving Arizona for NBA

By The Associated Press

Arizona forward Derrick Williams is heading to the NBA after two program-rebuilding seasons in the desert.

The Pac-10's player of the year announced Wednesday that he will sign with an agent and won't return for his junior season.

Williams averaged 19.5 points and 8.3 rebounds while shooting 59 percent as a sophomore this past season, leading the Wildcats to the West Regional final after missing the NCAA tournament the year before.

The 6-foot-8 forward was a finalist for the Wooden Award and a second-team All-American after being named the Pac-10 freshman of the year in 2009-10.

Williams has been projected as a lottery pick because of his athleticism and versatility.

Outlander
04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-kansas-selbyleaving

Kansas freshman Selby leaving for NBA

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Freshman guard Josh Selby is declaring for the NBA draft, leaving Kansas with only two players who had a significant role in last season’s 35-3 record.

Earlier, twin forwards Marcus and Markieff Morris, last season’s top scorers and rebounders, hired an agent and announced they would skip their senior seasons.

The 6-foot-3 Selby was rated the overall No. 1 prospect in the nation when Kansas coach Bill Self signed him last year, but was suspended the first nine games by the NCAA for amateurism violations. He also missed several more with a foot injury and wound up averaging 7.9 points, 2.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 26 games.

Selby had spent more than a week working out in Las Vegas testing NBA interest. He tweeted Thursday that he will miss Allen Fieldhouse, but was looking forward to “a new journey.”

He added: “I will not return to Kansas next year. Making my dream a reality.”

In a statement, Self said he supports Selby’s decision.

“When the season was over, Josh, his family and I spoke quite candidly about what he wanted to do,” Self said. “He made it very clear that he wanted to go to Las Vegas and work out to see if he could get more information of his NBA draft status. He did exactly what we agreed for him to do and handled it well and has come to the conclusion that it’s best for him to go ahead and enter into the 2011 NBA draft. We, as a staff, totally support Josh’s decision and we also hope our fans support it as well.”

Selby’s most memorable game as a Jayhawk was his first. With just seconds to go, he made a 3-pointer from the right wing to lift Kansas to a 70-68 victory over USC in Allen Fieldhouse on Dec. 18. His 21 points that day turned out to be his career high. He averaged 12 points and 3.2 assists his first 13 games but injured his foot on Feb. 1. He missed the next three games and was hampered the rest of the season.

“I never coached a kid that went through as much stuff his freshman year as Josh has,” Self said. “He fought through it and certainly played through injury and did everything within his power to give our team the best chance to succeed.

“Josh made above a 3.0 (grade point average) his first semester and worked with his professors to complete his work second semester. I feel good about Josh leaving here knowing he took care of his business the way that he should have taken care of it.”

The Jayhawks will need to be almost completely retooled next season. Seniors Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar are graduating and the Morris twins and Selby are leaving early for the NBA. Point guard Tyshawn Taylor and forward Thomas Robinson will be the only returning players who had significant roles in Kansas’ seventh straight Big 12 regular-season championship.

Outlander
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Kentucky trio to test NBA Draft waters

By WILL GRAVES, AP Sports Writer

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP)—Kentucky freshmen Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight and junior DeAndre Liggins are heading to the NBA. Maybe.

The school announced Wednesday all three players have declared for the NBA draft but will not sign with an agent, clearing the way for them to return to school next fall if they change their mind by May 8.

Jones and Knight are considered mid-to-high first-round picks while Liggins is a defensive stopper who hopes to play his way into the first round after being evaluated by scouts.

The trio helped the Wildcats to their first Final Four appearance in 13 years this spring. Kentucky fell to Connecticut in the national semifinals.

Knight averaged 17.3 points at point guard and proved to be one of the best clutch performers in the country. The 6-foot-3 Knight hit a pair of game-winning shots during the team’s NCAA tournament run. His driving lay-up helped Kentucky escape an upset bid by Princeton in the second round and his pull-up jumper with 5 seconds left allowed the Wildcats to knock off top-seeded Ohio State in the regional semifinals.

“Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine and this is the next step,” Knight said. “All season long coach has been tutoring me on the fine points of being a point guard, and now I have an opportunity to put my game on display in front of NBA scouts as a result of my hard work.”

Knight’s 657 points were the most by a Kentucky freshman and he also broke the school’s freshman 3-point record by knocking down 87 3s.

Jones averaged 15.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks and set a Kentucky freshman record by pouring in 35 points in a victory over Auburn in January. He was chosen SEC Newcomer of the Year by The Associated Press.

The 6-8 power forward volunteered to take on a slightly lesser role during the postseason to allow his teammates to get more involved, a move coach John Calipari said was key to the team’s postseason success.

Liggins will have the most to prove. He blossomed into one of the country’s top defenders but remains limited offensively. He averaged 8.6 points and 4.0 rebounds while leading the team with 46 steals.

Read more here- http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-kentucky-nba

Joescoundrel
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Kyrie Irving is a one-done prospect who is not in the same league as John Wall and Derrick Rose, which should make it interesting to see where he falls on the actual draft night.

I'm rooting for Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette to make the lottery, since they're seasoned players who've developed more complete games over the years they stayed in college.

Derrick Williams I also like, but he'll have to get used real quick to the strength and speed of NBA players, maybe become like former Denver star Laphonso Ellis.

Outlander
04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
My favourite players in this draft are Kemba Walker and Derrick Williams. Williams has a shot to go #1, while Kemba could go top 10. Once Williams gets drafted in the NBA, he needs to find another nickname, as "D-Will" is already taken ;)

kerouac82
04-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Kyrie Irving is a one-done prospect who is not in the same league as John Wall and Derrick Rose, which should make it interesting to see where he falls on the actual draft night.

I'm rooting for Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette to make the lottery, since they're seasoned players who've developed more complete games over the years they stayed in college.

Derrick Williams I also like, but he'll have to get used real quick to the strength and speed of NBA players, maybe become like former Denver star Laphonso Ellis.

I like me some Jimmer, but why do I have this feeling that he's already reached his plateau? Still, I see that he can be a good passer in the pros, unlike another recent Great White Hope who now makes a living camping around the three-point line for the Magic.

BLUE HORSE
04-23-2011, 03:18 AM
JJ Redick was never a point guard in college or the NBA. He is a shooter.

If Cleveland gets the top pick it was reported that they want Kyrie Irving. Irving does not have the explosiveness of D. Rose but he has exceptional handle and passing skills to go with above average outside shooting. Pro scouts compare him to Isiah Thomas without the angas.

Thanks to the recent success of D Williams, Chris Paul, and D Rose; there will be a run on pg's during the draft. Irving, Walker, Knight, Selby and Fredette will be available. Utah has many needs but it may be forced to take Fredette as the new face of the franchise. Fredette being a Mormon is a fit for the team fan base.

Outlander
04-23-2011, 09:22 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-texas-nbadraft

3 Texas players entering draft

By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports Writer

AUSTIN, Texas (AP)—Texas players Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton and Cory Joseph have all declared for the NBA draft.

Hamilton, a 6-foot-7 sophomore forward who led the Longhorns in scoring last season, plans to sign with an agent, which would immediately end his college eligibility.

“My family and I really took our time with this decision and waited to get a good feel of what this year’s draft class would look like and where I can be drafted. With all the information we received, it is best for me to move forward now and pursue this opportunity,” Hamilton said.

Thompson, a 6-8 forward and Joseph, a 6-3 guard, both were freshman last season. They plan to submit their names but will hold off on signing with an agent, according to Texas officials. That will allow them to return to Texas if they choose to.

The NBA deadline for underclassmen to submit their names to the NBA is Sunday. The NCAA allows them to withdraw by May 8 and still maintain their college eligibility.

“I will continue to gather all the information about my draft status and use that information over the next two weeks to determine whether or not to keep my name in the draft,” Thompson said.

If Thompson or Joseph—or both—decide to leave with Hamilton, it would drastically change the lineup next season for a Texas team that rose to No. 3 in the rankings and challenged Kansas for the Big 12 title.

They could join Kevin Durant (2007) and Avery Bradley (2010) as freshman who left the Longhorns in recent years.

Texas has one of the top-ranked recruiting classes coming in, highlighted by guard Myck Kabongo.

Texas started 11-0 in conference play before a 5-5 finish down the stretch with a second-round loss to Arizona in the NCAA tournament.

Hamilton averaged 18.6 points last season. Thompson, the Big 12 freshman of the year, averaged 13.1 points and 7.8 rebounds and blocked 86 shots. His teammates voted him the Longhorns’ most valuable player. Joseph averaged 10.4 points and three assists.

Outlander
04-24-2011, 09:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A0PDlM4mgLNNpiEAHws5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_brazilian_prospect_nba_draft_042311

Brazilian prospect declares for NBA draft

By Adrian Wojnarowski

One of the world’s most intriguing teenage centers – Brazilian 7-footer Lucas Nogueira – has entered his name into the June 23 NBA draft, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Nogueira’s representatives informed the NBA in a letter sent on Friday. They plan to use the predraft workout process with teams to gauge how far into the first round Nogueira could climb this year.

Prospects have until June 14th to pull out of the draft.

After an impressive performance at the under-18 FIBA championships in July in San Antonio, Nogueira became an intriguing prospect for NBA executives. With a 7-foot-6 wingspan, he’s shown the potential to be a dominant force on the defensive end. Nogueira is still working to add strength to his 220-pound frame.

Nogueira is DraftExpress.com’s fourth-rated 18-year-old international prospect behind three players expected to be taken in the 2011 lottery – Jonas Valanciunas, Bismack Biyombo and Enes Kanter. Nogueira plays for Estudiantes of the Spanish League.

While Nogueira isn’t close to becoming an impact player in the NBA at 18 years old, he could be especially appealing to contending teams picking later in the first round or teams with multiple picks. Those teams will have a chance to develop him without the expectation of him contributing immediately.

Outlander
05-09-2011, 10:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6509414

Shelvin Mack decides to leave for NBA

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Butler says guard Shelvin Mack is keeping his name in the June 23 NBA draft and won't return for his senior season with the small Indiana school that reached the NCAA basketball final the last two seasons.

Mack is Butler's all-time NCAA tournament scoring leader with 232 points in 13 games. He was the Bulldogs' second-leading scorer for the season at 16.

Butler now faces a significant rebuilding project with the departure of five seniors, including starters Matt Howard and Shawn Vanzant.

Mack was the only Bulldogs player in double figures with 13 as they fell to Connecticut in the April 4 title game in Houston, 53-41. Butler lost to Duke in the 2010 final.

Last year, Bulldogs sophomore Gordon Hayward was the No. 9 NBA pick, going to Utah.

mighty_lion
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Cavs won the 1st pick courtesy of Clippers pick traded to Cavs in Baron Davis for Mo Williams swap.

Mo Williams for the 1st pick? ;D ;D ;D I know hindsight is 20/20 but Clipper fans must be banging their heads to anything made of concrete by now. What could have been: Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon. ;D

Outlander
05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
The Clippers' pick only had a 2.8% chance of being drawn number one, and they still won the lottery. Problem is, they traded it away to Cleveland in the Baron Davis swap, so the Clippers got screwed again ;D

Cavs sent the son of their owner, 14-year-old Nick Gilbert, to the draft lottery stage, and the Cavs end up getting pick #1 and #4, and 1 + 4 = 14. Hmmm, what a coincidence ;)

Outlander
06-19-2011, 08:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6675909

NBA issues 'green room' invitations

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

Every year, the NBA tips its hand as to who it believes are the top 14 or 15 prospects in the draft with its annual "green room" invitations.

These players are invited by the league to sit in a special room with their families and agent on draft night. When their names are called, they leave the room and go up on stage to shake commissioner David Stern's hand.

This year's invitees to the June 23 draft:

Kyrie Irving (Duke); Derrick Williams (Arizona); Enes Kanter (Turkey); Brandon Knight (Kentucky); Kemba Walker (UConn); Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania); Jan Vesely (Czech Republic); Kawhi Leonard (San Diego St.); Chris Singleton (Florida St.); Klay Thompson (Washington St.); Tristan Thompson (Texas); Jimmer Fredette (BYU); Marcus Morris (Kansas); and Alec Burks (Colorado).

A 15th name has been added -- Markieff Morris of Kansas. Markieff is Marcus Morris' twin and also widely considered to be a top 20 draft pick.

The only conspicuous name left off the list is Bismack Biyombo from Congo. Several others, including USC's Nikola Vucevic; Providence's Marshon Brooks; and Texas' Jordan Hamilton have an outside shot of cracking the lottery as well.

In the past, the NBA has expanded the list as the draft date draws closer.

Of course, players aren't prohibited from attending the NBA draft without an invite to the green room. Players can sit in the stands with the fans and walk up on stage when their names are called.