PDA

View Full Version : CHANGING of the Guards - Recruiting future Knights

ESCALERA JR.
10-23-2010, 08:37 AM
NC Season86 could well be a mediocre campaign for the LetranKnights, landing a sub par 5th place overall standing.

The previous 8 seasons since Alas comeback in '02, the Knights were a regular fixture w 7 consecutive F4 outings, 3 Finals appearance and bagging 2 Titiles(plus 1 in '98). But since the departure of Jazul/Guevarra tandem last year, seems the horizon looks a bit hazy with no clear transition of continuity to the next generation of Blue/Red cagers.

What is happening right now on our recruitment program? Any one from inside the walls of Intramuros would like to share their 2 cents worth. Something must be done-FAST- lest the walls start crumbling on our leagues winningest record.

Its time to REGROUP!

LION
10-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Escalera,

1. Poor recruitment = lack of talent, lack of manpower.

2. Letran pressure defense no longer a factor = Top NCAA teams have broken it with ease in the last 4 years. And it will continue to be a non-factor because top NCAA teams have the manpower and know how to break it. Letran scores a lot off steals and turnovers generated by the pressure defense. That's why Letran is doing poorly in offense nowadays. No more points off their pressure defense, aside from their lack of talents who can contribute offensively.

3. Letran's physical play backfiring = numerous fouls called, Knights always in foul trouble (and they don't have enough manpower to begin with) and opponents scoring a lot from the FT line.

Escalera is right. Time for the Knights to re-group.

lekiboy
10-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Escalera,

1. Poor recruitment = lack of talent, lack of manpower.

2. Letran pressure defense no longer a factor = Top NCAA teams have broken it with ease in the last 4 years. And it will continue to be a non-factor because top NCAA teams have the manpower and know how to break it. Letran scores a lot off steals and turnovers generated by the pressure defense. That's why Letran is doing poorly in offense nowadays. No more points off their pressure defense, aside from their lack of talents who can contribute offensively.

3. Letran's physical play backfiring = numerous fouls called, Knights always in foul trouble (and they don't have enough manpower to begin with) and opponents scoring a lot from the FT line.

Escalera is right. Time for the Knights to re-group.

copy- paste!!!

ESCALERA JR.
02-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Nahihimbing ata sa kampo natin... ??? nakakabingi ang katahimikan at masyado pang matagal ang S88.
Any updates bugle? ...who's coming in ...who's on the way out.? What preparations are being made?....i believe we will be hosting next season.

Gising mga kabalyeros!!!

Joescoundrel
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Men's Quarterfinals ___

Saturday February 11 at Trinity - - -

10:00 - Lyceum v Letran
11:30 - NU v Fatima
1:00 - San Beda v FEU

Thursday February 16 at San Beda - - -

2:00 - Arellano v UE

riou
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I hope magstep-up na sa recruitment program.

tama na ang bangayan between the admin and the alumni. Yan problema kasi parin namin sa letran, hindi padin united ang lahat ng benefactorers compare to other schools. Tapos ang sakit pa ng letran ay yung dahil nasanay kasi sila na hindi na kelangan magextra effort ng school at alumni para pumunta mga magagaling na players samin.

Ngayon It's all about recruitment wars, masyado na tayong napagiwanan.

Bout naman sa Letran's pressure defense I don't believe it's ineffective. It will be effective as ever basta we have the right players. Just to think of the 2005 champion team sobrang balanse ng team at maraming malalaki at agile na players and we executed perfectly many defensive and offensive plays. Last season kahit outmanned we took down the 2nd best team kaso dahil kulang sa talent wise mga players namin. Naubusan din kami ng gas.

We hope Letran will be much more competitive this coming season88 and hopefully we get that elusive 17th title

Arriba!!

bugleboy
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
@ESCALERA JR. -- I haven't been able to watch any of the FMC games lately so I only have box scores and FB updates. From these, it seems that McJour Luib has decided to stick it out with the Knights after his stint with the Squires. This is good news, of course, since Dysam will not be playing next year, and Taplah has all but disappeared. Luib is a serviceable combo guard with a good outside shot, and hopefully, if he gets his confidence up, will prove to be a more than adequate reliever for Mark Cruz and Kevin Alas.

Since we will also be losing Andrei Mendoza, we will need to beef up our 4/5 rotation. It would help if Aldrin Serafica from the Squires also decides to stay in Intramuros. However, since he was a Jrs. Mythical 5 member this past season, this kid may be too hot a prospect for us to keep (unless, of course, some alumnus or school official pulls off a miracle). Ang sabi-sabi ay gusto raw umuwi ni Serafica sa probinsiya. But of course, stranger things can still happen...

@riou -- The way I see it, the real problem before was that the Jrs. and Srs. program of Letran were not in sync -- leading to the rather unfortunate exodus of talent in recent years. With the coaching change in the Jr. ranks, hopefully, this negative trend has been reversed. Sana naman...

riou
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Ayan isa pa yan. Buti ngayon wala ng ganyang rift between coaching staff ng Sr. at Jrs. very supportive na nga on each other sila nung last season. Nakakatawa pa nga noon san ka nakakita yung seniors naka Adidas tapos yunf Jrs. naka Converse. ;D

Joescoundrel
09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Larry Muyang is making Letran his fifth school in five years after making stops at San Sebastian, UE, Lyceum, and a UAAP stint with Lasalle. It seems Muyang, at his age, has finally become a good player who should be an immediate help to the Knights if and when he plays in the NCAA.

Bon Batiller, the smallish shooting guard who seemed ready to become the next star for UE, is also now with Letran.

Both men teamed up to give Letran B the 88-84 win over Ateneo B in the Fr Martin over the weekend. Muyang led all scorers with 24 points, Batiller had 19.

A guard who I think I've seen in previous Letran B teams was also making his presence felt in this game, surname of Pambio. This guy has a very good skill set for the point guard spot, and might, just might, be better than JP Calvo.

bugleboy
09-26-2017, 05:37 PM
^Wow, I didn't know Muyang had a stint in UE. Five teams in five years -- immortal na pala talaga siya! :)

Re Pambio, I think you may be referring to Jap Pambid, who was relegated to Team B this year after playing for one season in Team A. I'm glad that he's now being utilized as a point guard, especially since it will be JP Calvo's final year next year.