PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIBA World Championships

eightyfiver
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Serbia just showed the door to Spain via a clutch three pointer from Teodosic.

Who are you picking?

Mel
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I think whoever wins between USA and Argentina will be the champion.

But yes, host Turkey has been shooting the lights out.

Jeep
09-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I think whoever wins between USA and Argentina will be the champion.

But yes, host Turkey has been shooting the lights out.

seeing the words highlighted above in one sentence made me realize that, for me, this was all the last FIBA world title games were: a turkey shoot -- loaded in the USA's favor.

i've always heard that system usually wins out over talent. but how will your ragtag five figure against a five composed of NBA talents? how do you win against a squad that has names like billups and durant on it? sure, some european team will steal a game or two, but it doesn't take long for things to steer back to the norm -- and the norm globally is still the NBA.

Kid Cubao
09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
^^ well, the lesson of 2002, 2004, and 2006 tells us that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. in those years, the US fielded NBA all-star talents but lost miserably to european and south american teams. after the 2006 worlds, USA basketball under jerry colangelo revitalized its program by getting two- and three-year commitments from stars like carmelo, kobe, lebron, and dwyane, as well as the top college coaches like coach K of duke and jim boeheim of syracuse, who is generally regarded as the world's leading proponent of the zone defense. the result is a deep pool of NBA talent that gets together as often as schedule allows it and get drilled by the two hall-of-fame mentors. the practices were meant for the players to get the proper feel in executing basic patterns, quick hits, and getting used to zones that they will expect in FIBA tournaments.

in essence, team USA succeeded because from 2008 onward, coach K and boeheim introduced a working system designed to beat the best basketball teams in the world. it's a team composed of players who can play multiple positions, run the break, bust the zone, and wear down opponents with their tough, in your face, man-to-man defense. the 2010 team doesn't even have a true center, because in international basketball, it's not really necessary because they zone all the time.

Schortsanitis
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
One of the main highlights of the 2010 World FIBA Championships, was definitely the coming out of Kevin Durant as a worldwide basketball star. Its true what the press were saying: While most NBA superstars shied away from the US National Team to avoid possible injuries, KD embraced playing for his country 100%, and his popularity as a player skyrocketed. I for one definitely became a huge fan after that stint.

m_14
10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
it just goes to show that american talent is really the best in the world, with the right players who are suitable to fiba style of play, they just would dominate every tournament available.

Kid Cubao
10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
i don't know about that. if anything, the reforms initiated by jerry colangelo as program director of USA basketball indirectly acknowledges that the sport has truly become global, with the best players coming from all over the planet. as such, if team USA wishes to hold on to the title of hardcourt kings, then they have to work just as hard as the rest of the competition. look, if hedo turkoglu didn't twist his knee in the title game, i believe the outcome would have been a lot closer than the actual result.