PDA

View Full Version : fatal 3-way: 1993-1996 Tigers vs. 1998-2001 Archers vs. 2008-2011 Eagles

tigerman
08-29-2010, 11:40 PM
fatal 3-way? no holds barred? falls count anywhere? hell in a cell? royal rumble?

UST Golden/Growling Tigers
PG - Dale Singson, Bal David, Patrick Fran, Gelo Velasco
SG - Udoy Belmonte, Henry Ong, Richie Melencio,
SF - Rey Evangelista, Gerard Francisco
PF - Estong Ballesteros, Richard Yee, Edmund Reyes, Melchor Latoreno
C - Dennis Espino, Chris Cantonjos

DLSU Green Archers
PG - Dino Aldeguer, Mike Cortez, Mac Cuan
SG - Renren Ritualo, BJ Manalo, Mac Cardona
SF - Mon Jose, Calijohn Orfrecio, Willie Wilson
PF - Allen Patrimonio, Dominic Uy, Francis Zamora
C - Don Allado, Manny Ramos, Carlos Sharma

Puwede ng isama dito ang Blue Eagles. What about a no disqualification/no holds barred fatal 3-way for the undisputed championship? ;D

Sa mga taga-BEN, can you help me to combine the strongest composition for your 4-peat team? I'll try my darn best. ;D

ATENEO Blue Eagles
PG - Jai Reyes, Eric Salamat, Eman Monfort, Juami Tiongson
SG - Chris Tiu, Keifer Ravena
SF - Ryan Buenafe, Kirk Long, Bacon Austria, Tonino Gonzaga
PF - Noy Baclao, Nico Salva
C - Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Greg Slaughter, Justin Chua

pepman
09-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Mahirap ito ah. But I'd rather pick the 1998-2001 Archers.

eustacia
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I think UST has the edge in all positions except SG.

nnahoj
09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
UST for me. their frontline is just too strong, they swept the UAAP which had a very strong Adamson team; Feihl, Aquino and Duremdes.

shyboy
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Up to now, traumatic pa rin sakin yung pangalan na Henry Ong. :o

Mel
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
from 94 to 96, dlsu rin ang nakalaban ng ust sa finals.

those were pretty strong dlsu teams as well, breaks of the game rin lang like in 94 when Elmer Lago missed those easy shots in the endgame.

it wasn't much na lumakas yung dlsu from 98-2001, humina rin kasi yung UST in those years.

also in 99 dapat ust na yun if not for the three point shot of Aldeguer in game 3 to force OT.

so I say UST. those 93-96 teams personified the mix of great talent, coaching as well as street ball type larong kanto.

atenean_blooded
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Ayaw niyo isama yung UE teams of old? Yung naka 7-peat?

I don't know who the players of those teams were anymore, though.

MonL
09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Ayaw niyo isama yung UE teams of old? Yung naka 7-peat?

I don't know who the players of those teams were anymore, though.

Many of them made their way to the MICAA/PBA such as Robert Jaworski, Roehl Nadurata, Rudolf Kutch, Jaime Mariano, Johnny Revilla, Rudy Soriano, Rey Pages, Rey Franco.

Joescoundrel
09-01-2010, 01:51 PM
With Dennis Espino, Chris Cantonjos, Edmund Reyes, Estong Ballesteros and Rey Evangelista, UST would be overwhelming in the paint. Espino and Cantonjos are MVP's are they not? Imagine them on the same team in their respective primes, truly unbeatable. UST would rule the paint in this match; I don't think Don Allado and Carlo Sharma would be able to handle them down low, especially Espino.

It should be interesting to see though who would win in a shootout between Renren Ritualo and Henry Ong. Ritualo had the more picture-perfect stroke, but Ong was just a mad outside bomber.

This would be a two-game sweep for UST.

Joescoundrel
09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I forgot to factor something in: this would be Aric Del Rosario versus Franz Pumaren wouldn't it? That would be interesting: old school versus the modern era. I think Franz would have the advantage in the X and O department, but Aric would have simply unleashed the warriors within his boys.

By the way, would this composite UST team be called the Glowing Goldies or the Growling tigers?

Mel
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
if I remember right, the 97 dlsu team had to win two games in the final four vs. ust to earn the right to meet feu in the finals.

feu the #1 seed disposed of UP in one game.

the last time UP made the final four.

so I guess Ust was still among the uaap elite in 97 when they were supposed to be rebuilding.

fujima04
09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
if I remember right, the 97 dlsu team had to win two games in the final four vs. ust to earn the right to meet feu in the finals.

feu the #1 seed disposed of UP in one game.

the last time UP made the final four.

so I guess Ust was still among the uaap elite in 97 when they were supposed to be rebuilding.

UST is on track to its drive for five campaign up to the last minute of the game.

With UST ahead by two points, Dale Singson goes to the line that could have give UST a 4-point lead. However, Singson missed one of his FTs. And then Mark Telan threw 3-pointer that sends the game into OT and rest are history.

Biases aside, I think UST has the upperhand here.

Tigerman: Maybe you could also add Coach Siot in the PG list.

pablohoney
09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Interesting topic, bro. Made me reminisce. ;D

Joescoundrel: By the way, would this composite UST team be called the Glowing Goldies or the Growling tigers?

UST if I remember correctly, changed its moniker from Glowing Goldies into Growling Tigers, in 1992.

Espinoand Cantonjoswere both MVPs in the UAAP.

I think it could have been a 5Peat, if UST chose notto lend some of its core players in the national team (1991).

@Sir Mel: In 1997, it was the season where it looked like UP would be lifting the crown, since they went
8-0. Until Bryan Gahol got injured. Included in that formidable UP squad were the likes of Ogie Gumatay and Paolo Mendoza, again if my memory serves me right. ;D

I would have picked UST (biases aside). Cantonjos, Espino, Evangelista, Ballesteros, Belmonte, the two Davids (Bal and Rommel), Yee, Melencio, Ong, Fransisco..... man, those were the days. Though malakas din sila Alladoand Ritualo. Lalo na si Ritualo.

Wala pala sa listahan si Maui "Chicken" Roca. Oh yes, 4Peat-era pala ng DLSU.

7Peat UE? Coach ata nun si Baby Dalupan pa. Masyado nang matagal yun, at kapag may naka 7peat siguro pwede na rin gawan ng matchup. ;D

BigBlue
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd go for UST. But with Ritualo there, it's hard not to give La Salle a second look. Eustacia nailed it with his comment on La Salle having its edge on the shooting guards, and Ritualo is arguably the best SG the UAAP has seen in the past decade.

west winger
09-02-2010, 08:18 AM
The one thing that will spell total difference is that the Archers achieved the milestone using one major system still implemented to this day, and that is the dreaded trap defense. 40 minutes of defensive hell. UST had achieved their 4-peat with no real special system other than being able to get exceptionally skilled players (and Aric's loud voice..hehehe. He happens to be an ex-officemate of mine at MERALCO btw). The Pumaren system obviously still reaps in results with comparatively weaker teams even today, only faltering for the 1st time last season but is obviously back in the groove with Dindo implementing it this time around. Total obedience to the system....

eustacia
09-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd go for UST. But with Ritualo there, it's hard not to give La Salle a second look. Eustacia nailed it with his comment on La Salle having its edge on the shooting guards, and Ritualo is arguably the best SG the UAAP has seen in the past decade.

OT: "her" comment dapat, I'm female. :)

Anyway, does anyone here remember that UST vs. UAAP all-stars game during the 1993 UST sweep season? Since there was no finals series, the UAAP decided to have this bonus game. I know it was not a serious game, pero the UST team then almost won that game too, I recall. Amazing.

Mel
09-02-2010, 09:46 AM
^ oo nga parang I saw pictures of E.J. Feihl and Richie Ticzon in one team UAAP all stars.

amdgc82
09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
^^ That UAAP All Star line up was composed of Kenneth Duremdes, Gerry Hipolito, EJ Feihl and Rodel Bumanlag of Adamson, Tonyboy Espinosa, Jason Webb and Mark Telan (ROY) of La Salle, Ritchie Ticzon and Vince Hizon of Ateneo, Henrico Gascon and Angleo David of FEU, Braulio Lim and Ernesto Quidilla of UE, Dolreich Perasol of UP and Bernardo Parapara of NU. Coach was Hector Hipolito of Adamson.

yungha
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
there was a time na parang hindi nauubusan ng quality big men ang ust. throughout the 4-peat isa-isang nawala sina evangelista, reyes, ballesteros, espino then finally cantonjos. by 1996 all they had were heretofore seldom-used guys named richard yee and chandler donaldson. pero champion pa rin! and this guy yee surprised everyone by dunking all over the place and donaldson parlayed that season's success into a short stint in the pros.

espino's had the most successful pro career. bal david was like a comet, shining bright for a few short seasons then fading just as fast. biggest busts for me are singson and cortez because i thought these 2 would be the new generation of great point guards. in fairness to cool cat, though, he was one the top up-and-coming point guards before his injury.

Mel
09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
May Gilbert Lao and Mark Naningga pa yan sila. Hehe.

tigerman
09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Nakakamiss. :(

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/tigerbj/374varsitarian.jpg

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bchoter
09-11-2010, 02:07 AM
I'll aslo go for the Tigers. The sum were better than the individual parts... and the individuals were no pushovers...

Rektikano
11-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I know it should be the 4 peat teams of La Salle but if it were up to me I would rather field the 1989-1991 three peat teams of La Salle. In my opinion, those teams would be more competitive against the 4 peat teams of UST despite the 4 peat La Salle team having Ritualo, Cortez and Allado.

La Salle's frontline would consists of Limpot, Santamaria, Bachmann, Locsin, Lago, Del Rosario and Guste. Swingmen are Cardel, Viaplana, Lago, Dinglasan, Mariano, Magpantay. Guards would be Monasterio, Abanilla, Espinosa and Webb.

tigerman
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
transferred to my first post

john_paul_manahan
10-05-2011, 05:57 AM
The Goldies / Tigers of the early to mid-90s are probably at par with their equivalents in the NCAA (San Sebastian during their stampede)

yungha
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
The Goldies / Tigers of the early to mid-90s are probably at par with their equivalents in the NCAA (San Sebastian during their stampede)

^ on paper yes but in a game between the 2 4-peat champions, baste played without rodney santos and still beat uste by double figures. and baste went on to win another title the following to complete a 5-peat.

Sam Miguel
10-05-2011, 01:29 PM
For Ateneo, the best 16 players I'd get - - -

Pointguards: Yuri Escueta, Jai Reyes, Eman Monfort
Off-guards: Eric Salamat, Kirk Long, Chris Tiu, Kiefer Ravena
Small Forwards: Ryan Buenafe, Nico Salva, Oping Sumalinog
Power Forwards: Nonoy Baclao, Jobe Nkemakolam, Mike Baldos
Centers: Greg Slaughter, Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Justin Chua

Let's make it a triple round robin among the three teams, with the current coverage and review rules, as well as current officiating in place. I'd keep Andy Jao as Commissioner and his crew of deputies, as well as the SBP referees. That ought to level the playing field a bit for this latest 4-Peat Club member-school.

Top 2 teams advance to a straight Best-of-3 Finals. Ties will be broken with straight up arithmetical quotient. Only if there is still a tie after the math is done will there be any playoffs to break ties.

Since Norman Black will be handling the Blue Eagles, and I will assume that Lasalle will use its patented press to anchor its entire game, and Aric Del Rosario will probably just say "Dennis, bwakawin mo na!" when things get wooly, I'd lay even money on Ateneo winning it all.

Kirk Long and Eric Salamat can take turns hounding the gunners like Ritualo and Ong. None of the other off-guards I think can match up all that well against the ultimate gulangero Chris Tiu, who has shown he can take even international competition and PBA veterans. I think at the very least Greg Slaughter and Rabeh Al-Hussaini can play Espino and Cantonjos, and Allado and Sta Maria to a standstill. Nonoy Baclao can defend any 4 or 5.

I'd like to know who will match up against Ryan Buenafe from either the Gold or the Green sides...

john_paul_manahan
10-06-2011, 04:43 AM
I would presume that at least on the Taft side, you can opt to field their defensive hatchet-men in Willie Wilson / Mon Jose. For UST, it's probably Rey Evangelista / Gerard Francisco.

agdlc
10-06-2011, 05:34 AM
ust > ateneo > dlsu

hard to pit these teams of different eras against each other. the neuromuscular training and advanced nutrition of the ateneo players and the updated basketball theories/ strategies by nb will definitely blow away the competition if that is the case, especially if the setting will be a 3-game, 5-game, or 7-game series. no match.

just assessing these teams according to how they transcended their respective time periods, however, i would put ust on top. dominant talaga, and i think the sweep validates that. ateneo comes in second because of the lack of outside shooting- it's hard to peg a team greatest ever when the lineup itself is deficient. dlsu comes in last primarily because they assembled their greatest-team-ever of that era to compete against ateneo's best-ever, and came up short.