PDA

View Full Version : Episode 7 (Aug. 31, 2010): The Good Old Glory Days of the PBA

gameface_one
08-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Episode 7 will be our last for this quarter unfortunately as we just bargained for 7 episodes to test the Gameface Radio project. We are arranging for another on-air session for the months of November to January but the same will still be finalized by October.

And for this episode, we will discuss the Good Old Glory Days of the PBA (1975 to mod-90s) covering the legendary players, imports, games, personalities, etc. Our guest list will be finalized and announced by Monday, Aug. 30, 2010. We are hoping we could have some ex-imports and prominent players plus of course your different mod- authorities from the Gameface Media Forum. This session will be for 2 hours instead of the usual 1 hour.

Post your comments and questions here.

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Why are there "good old glory days" anyway? Does that mean the PBA isn't "glorious" anymore?

I find that ridiculous considering every player's dream is still to make the PBA someday.

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Is the PBA still the best basketball league in the country, in terms of skill and talent?

If we pitted the stars of the early years like Fernandez-Jaworski-Adornado, could they win against the mega-athletes of today's PBA like Taulava-Williams-Yap?

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 09:06 AM
I recall that whenever I go to the provinces, and I mention I am a basketball writer, almost everybody to a man asks if I write about the PBA. Perhaps that is an indication that as far as the entire country goes, the PBA really is still the top basketball league in town.

Maybe the UAAP, with its huge and passionate crowds, is really nothing more than just another "frankenstein" of mass media and gigantic marketing campaigns by ABS CBN.

oca
08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Gusto ng bawat basketbolista na makapaglaro sa pinakamataas na liga na maari niya maabot.

Dito sa atin PBA ang pinamakamataas. Hanggat di natitibag sa kinatatayuan niya, at habang nananatili ang pagkahumaling ng bawat Juan at Pedro sa larong ito, PBA ang ituturing na pinakasikat.

Yung "glory at good old days" ay relative. The younger generation who never witnessed the Crispa-Toyota rivalry, the Jaworski-post-Toyota era, the NCC boys dominance of the league - Samboy, Calma, Caidic et al, to this younger generation what they see is all they got.

What they got is almost devoid of character and personalities.

Then, players are taken in for what they can do oncourt. Que se joda ano ka sa labas ng court! Basta oncourt magagawa mo ang gusto ipagawa ng coach para manalo ang team.

Ngayon...

Pulos corporate boys ang mga PBA players ngayon. Takot mamultahan, takot ma-suspend, takot di-ma-renew ang contract.

Then, every players gives it all oncourt. Tang na, ano ngayon kung ipatawag ako ni Prieto! Di na lang ako iimik. ;D

May kulay ang laro nuon, kulay na mula sa bawat player nang mga koponan.

Eh ngayon... kulay ng mga sapatos nila ang nangingibabaw! Pwe!

gameface_one
08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Mr. Bobby Parks has also confirmed participation in tonite's program.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Sa tingin nyo ba with lots of Fil-Am players coming in (and came in), naka-apekto ba ito sa "kulay" (no pun intended) ng laro ng PBA? Unlike before, mas madaming Pinoy na naglalaro sa PBA kung kaya mas ma-aksyon ang mga laro and you can see that the players were really giving it all inside the court.

Makakatulong ba ang pagbabalik into a three-conference format next season para bumalik ang dating "kulay" ng PBA? Honestly, I was happy with this development because I will be waiting for the next Grand Slam champion after Crispa, San Miguel, and Alaska.

nnahoj
08-31-2010, 01:06 PM
ang pangit sa PBA ngayon eh yung rigodon ng mga players at coaches, lalo na yung sa pagitan ng sister companies. si player, ililipat sa team A tapos pag kelangan ng team B ng titulo ililipat si player.

hindi katulad dati na pag sinabing Patrimonio, Purefoods lang ang maiisip mo. Si Paras at Magsanoc sa Shell, Si Calma at Samboy San Miguel lang at siyempre pag Ginebra, Tondeņa, Aņejo ang usapan isang pangalan lang ang sinisigaw ng baranggay, JAWORSKI. JAWORSKI!

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Was Billy Ray Bates truly the best import ever to play in the PBA?

What about seven-time Best Import, and now National University varsity athletics consultant, Bobby Parks?

Or the original Mister 100% and current Ateneo head coach Norman Black?

Who was the best white import?

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Which was the better Crispa Grand Slam team, Baby Dalupan's or Tommy Manotoc's?

Who among the Grand Slam teams - Dalupan's, Manotoc's, Norman Black's San Miguel Beermen, or Tim Cone's Alaska Milkmen - was the best of the best?

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
What's with the Sonny Jaworski mystique? The guy wasn't quick, couldn't run all that fast, was certainly not a leaper, and certainly was one player loved and hated with equal intensity and in equal numbers.

Are there still any Sonny Jaworski fans out there?

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Was there any substance to all those point-shaving and game-fixing allegations especially from the late-1970's to around the middle of the 1980's?

Is this why Ramon Fernandez left the Purefoods franchise in 1988?

Emon74
08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Why are there "good old glory days" anyway? Does that mean the PBA isn't "glorious" anymore?

I find that ridiculous considering every player's dream is still to make the PBA someday.

I think the "good old glory years" is more of the people running the PBA back then, Vintage enterprises did a better job, you can't say anymore the brains behind those that made the league so successful in the past.

Its also ridiculous in a way a fan would think Fil-Americans will come here to pursue a dream of playing in the PBA? or is it because they knew a fat contracts, high salaries awaits them here where they wont find elsewhere in their so-called home.

AnthonyServinio
09-02-2010, 11:40 PM
The best episode among all seven . . . dapat talaga 90 minutes to two hours ang program as one hour is not enough.