PDA

View Full Version : What if everyone stayed home?

Istorbo
08-18-2010, 05:56 PM
With all this recent talk of NU's new found recruitment power as well as the last decade's arms race for the best recruits from various high schools locally and the world over, it seems that recruitment for the UAAP powers has dominated their respective basketball landscapes.

Now what if all the recruits stayed home? What if there was some weird DECS/CHED policy that you cannot leave your high school?

Which school would still remain a power? Definitely not DLSU? Would Ateneo still be a power? Right now it seems San Beda and SSC would be head and shoulders above the UAAP and NCAA combined. These two schools would have the most awesome of lineups over the last decade or so.

What season would have the best team for each of the schools? Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't San Beda have had a team with LA Tenorio, Membrere, Casio and the guys who stayed at one point (maybe 2005)?

Calling hoops historians ;)

shyboy
08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
You can extend your premise further by disallowing transfers regardless of level. Many of these kids transferred to or were recruited by UAAP and NCAA high schools coming from another grade school or high school. That's how it is. Bata pa lang nire-recruit na.

atenean_blooded
08-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Interesting, since I've actually speculated about this in the past in some threads already. I will refrain from further commenting on the merits of the rest of the premise, namely that "recruitment for the UAAP powers has dominated their respective basketball landscapes."

If there was a DepEd/CHED policy barring leaving one's high school and instead being forced to matriculate in a college (the legal or policy implications of such a policy I will likewise not discuss), then we'll see the current line-ups for the juniors squads most likely just continue their play at the seniors level. That also probably even the coaching staffs won't need to change. In fact, you won't even need seniors or juniors divisions, since you'll be dealing with one basketball program alone in a very real sense.

As for certain names, that would mean, for example, that the Ateneo Blue Eaglets, DLSZ Archers San Beda Red Lions, and SSC Staglets would probably continue their games in college. La Salle wouldn't be able to poach Ravena any more than Ateneo would have been able to poach Capacio or Buenafe or Salamat from the other schools. And if the trends given the same lineups continue, you'd expect the teams that win championships in the juniors to continue winning championships at the college level.

Now, let's speculate about shyboy's proposed extension of the premise. If the kids did not transfer to certain high schools, Chris Tiu would have never played for Ateneo (I don't know what college he would have gone to since Xavier doesn't have a college), Macky Escalona would have played for CSB in college (as would Kiefer Ravena, several years down the road), some of those UP players would be in the Ateneo team, Ateneo would have never gotten the Sison twins, the whole BJ Manalo brouhaha would have been avoided, and so on.

nnahoj
08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
With all this recent talk of NU's new found recruitment power as well as the last decade's arms race for the best recruits from various high schools locally and the world over, it seems that recruitment for the UAAP powers has dominated their respective basketball landscapes.

Now what if all the recruits stayed home? What if there was some weird DECS/CHED policy that you cannot leave your high school?

Which school would still remain a power? Definitely not DLSU? Would Ateneo still be a power? Right now it seems San Beda and SSC would be head and shoulders above the UAAP and NCAA combined. These two schools would have the most awesome of lineups over the last decade or so.

What season would have the best team for each of the schools? Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't San Beda have had a team with LA Tenorio, Membrere, Casio and the guys who stayed at one point (maybe 2005)?

Calling hoops historians ;)

this will be scary. Ritualo, Bravo, Messina among others would be teammates in the late 90's early 2000s followed by Tenorio, Membrere, Almeda, Cordero and others. Casio, Menor, Taganas and a few notables the next. Maybe today we have Hermida, Marcelo, Lanete, Martinez, Revilla, Salva, de la Cruz on the same team and waiting in the wings will be Amer, Gotladera, Sara, Javier and so on...

Istorbo
08-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Yes so let's fill in the blanks then. To get the ball rolling, which year would have then seen the best lineup from the following schools:

San Beda (Wow, too numerous. which would have been the strongest?)
San Sebastian (I feel this would have been the Paul Lee,Eric Salamat, Raffy Reyes, Arvie Bringas team)
Ateneo (Could it have been the 2002 team WITH BJ Manalo? Enrico, Bugia, Fonacier, Gonzales, Quimpo, Tadeo)
DLSU (?)

mangtsito
08-19-2010, 08:44 AM
For San Beda, I think there was a batch that had Ritualo, Bravo, Roldan and Messina. I think that's the strongest batch in the last decade.

Mel
08-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I guess if that batch stayed home then San Sebastian may have had a harder time in getting their five-peat in 97.

If I remember right, it was Adducul and Baste vs. San Beda with Rivera et. al in the 97 ncaa finals.

bchoter
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
On paper Marlou Aquino's batch would have been up there. Aquino, Pineda, Bong Dela Cruz, Feihl, the 2 that stayed (which I can't recall right now). However, Aquono and co. were not able to translate that to even a single crown. Ironically, UST won a couple of the 4-peat within the eligibility period of said players. But, who knows? Coach Aric was at his best during their time. Bong Hawkin's batch was pretty good, too.

FEU could also make a case for themselves. What if Soc, Lopez, Dexter stayed? What if Jolas resisted the lure of showbiz? What a star-crossed batch...

lekiboy
08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
this will be scary. Ritualo, Bravo, Messina among others would be teammates in the late 90's early 2000s followed by Tenorio, Membrere, Almeda, Cordero and others. Casio, Menor, Taganas and a few notables the next. Maybe today we have Hermida, Marcelo, Lanete, Martinez, Revilla, Salva, de la Cruz on the same team and waiting in the wings will be Amer, Gotladera, Sara, Javier and so on...

-and UP I think will still be trophyless up to now... :)
-Our 28 years of drought might have been just 2 to 5 years...
(minus the leave of absence)...
-the champions' roster of the NCAA and the UAAP in the 80s and 90s will be totally and strangely different

franz_inwurdz
08-19-2010, 11:20 AM
you are entering the twilight zone. tunununun, tunununun, tunununun.

Sam Miguel
08-19-2010, 11:49 AM
If the premise is you cannot leave your high school then Baser Amer would not have become a Red Cub either, tama ba mga kasamang Bedista?

admu_addict
08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
eh di parang bawal na rin lumipat ang non-athlete ng eskwela. baka di nako nakapag-college niyan. walang college yung high school ko eh.

lekiboy
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
If the premise is you cannot leave your high school then Baser Amer would not have become a Red Cub either, tama ba mga kasamang Bedista?

tama, boss..

But we should limit the parameters of the discussion. Yes, we can use the no-transfer or you cannot leave your HS premise but this should only apply to the NCAA and UAAP member schools. After all, nandito naman ang better basketball programs.

Our program's roster and history is almost transparent to everyone. I am not that familiar and am particularly interested on the what ifs for the other schools...

admu_addict
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
that would go against personal freedom. what if they weren't recruited, gusto lang talaga nila lumipat?

lekiboy
08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
that would go against personal freedom. what if they weren't recruited, gusto lang talaga nila lumipat?

e di magpa kick out siya... :)
o kaya he can use another person's birth cert...bwahahaha

admu_addict
08-19-2010, 12:07 PM

e di magpa kick out siya... :)
o kaya he can use another person's birth cert...bwahahaha

pa kick out tapos magpacertify sa DepEd noh? :P

Istorbo
08-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Basta what if everybody stayed home? Siguro limit natin na high school to college since for the most part (or significant part), recruitment is high-profile from HS to college.

Yun na lang muna. What if everybody stayed in their high school and went on to their respective college?

Sa akin, hanep Baste...Salamat, Buenafe, Raffy Reyes and Arvie Bringas. Si Andrada ba Baste?

atenean_blooded
08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
If everybody was forced to stay home, recruitment would shift to the high school level.

bchoter
08-19-2010, 09:52 PM
^ and if it is restricted down to the GS level, recruitment will start at child birth. "Marlou Aquino commits his son to the National University. Alvin Patrimonio's daughter is arranged for life with bchoter."

yungha
08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Ateneo would have had its strongest team in 2001 with rainier sison still playing. we would have had

villanueva
bugia
pamintuan
tadeo
gonzales
fonacier
sison
manalo
quimpo
elmido
badjie

then to fill out the lineup we can choose from guys like aldover, gio pasion, jay gonzales, marti espiritu, abrera, joe silva, tolosa, frez. kung puro homegrown din ang kalaban sa ibang teams, champion na siguro to.

we'd see a sharp decline in big man quality mid-decade wtih uichico, quimson and estanislao manning the post. larry would play till 2004 with wingmen would be guidaben, mark intal, jot manlapaz, barracoso. guards would be escalona, jai, medina, pao dizon and nazareno. maybe gian chiu will stay on and then we've got our starting center.

our team right now would probably look like - austria, gonzaga, golla, balmaceda, tiongson, dumrique, pe, bugarin, alec rivera, katipunan, mike gamboa, ael banal, tim capacio, ivan enriquez and maybe martin pascual or luis sinco.

dlsu would be strongest with webb, atkins, elorde, gwyne capacio, dela paz, van opstal, herrera, martin reyes (yung nasa UP), fortuna, plus the guys on the developmental team like manguera and chandumal.

feu would have soc, paguia, escoto, paulino, tolomia, rosales, lopez, knuttel, current mapua starter jonathan banal, current arellano starter russel yaya and maybe marlo isip wouldn't have become a headcase. not a bad lineup.

adamson would have juruena, acibar, olalia, russel dix.

NU would be built around mendoza, terso, the batac brothers and magat. baka nakapaglaro rin si clarence berry who was a beast in the juniors.

UP would be led by the lost boys plus maniego and marfori.

UE would have duran, zamar, paeng santos, tungcul, current rookie 6'5 ivan hernandez, plus maybe porlaje would still be playing.

ust had a jrs mythical 5 big man a few yrs back named julius reyes. other than him wala na ako masyadong maalala. wala na sigurong eligible from the team that went 10-0 in 2004 like hector basa and mark panahon. they could tap guys like neypres, labing-isa, riva and the slam-dunking oriondo (bchoter, san na napunta yun?).

atenean_blooded
08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Ateneo would have had its strongest team in 2001 with rainier sison still playing. we would have had

villanueva
bugia
pamintuan
tadeo
gonzales
fonacier
sison
manalo
quimpo
elmido
badjie

then to fill out the lineup we can choose from guys like aldover, gio pasion, jay gonzales, marti espiritu, abrera, joe silva, tolosa, frez. kung puro homegrown din ang kalaban sa ibang teams, champion na siguro to.

we'd see a sharp decline in big man quality mid-decade wtih uichico, quimson and estanislao manning the post. larry would play till 2004 with wingmen would be guidaben, mark intal, jot manlapaz, barracoso. guards would be escalona, jai, medina, pao dizon and nazareno. maybe gian chiu will stay on and then we've got our starting center.

our team right now would probably look like - austria, gonzaga, golla, balmaceda, tiongson, dumrique, pe, bugarin, alec rivera, katipunan, mike gamboa, ael banal, tim capacio, ivan enriquez and maybe martin pascual or luis sinco.

dlsu would be strongest with webb, atkins, elorde, gwyne capacio, dela paz, van opstal, herrera, martin reyes (yung nasa UP), fortuna, plus the guys on the developmental team like manguera and chandumal.

feu would have soc, paguia, escoto, paulino, tolomia, rosales, lopez, knuttel, current mapua starter jonathan banal, current arellano starter russel yaya and maybe marlo isip wouldn't have become a headcase. not a bad lineup.

adamson would have juruena, acibar, olalia, russel dix.

NU would be built around mendoza, terso, the batac brothers and magat. baka nakapaglaro rin si clarence berry who was a beast in the juniors.

UP would be led by the lost boys plus maniego and marfori.

UE would have duran, zamar, paeng santos, current rookie 6'5 ivan hernandez, plus maybe porlaje would still be playing.

ust had a jrs mythical 5 big man a few yrs back named julius reyes. other than him wala na ako masyadong maalala. wala na sigurong eligible from the team that went 10-0 in 2004 like hector basa and mark panahon. they could tap guys like neypres, labing-isa, riva and the slam-dunking oriondo (bchoter, san na napunta yun?).

Notwithstanding the strength of that 2001 Ateneo team (which I imagine would have also been very strong in 2000 and 2002, and just might have bagged championships in those years), I would have been wary of the UST teams of that time. Remember, that until 2000, Ateneo and UST were just exchanging juniors championships.

Currently, an all-Ateneo juniors lineup would be pretty strong, at least based on the success of our juniors program despite the numerous graduations. DLSU would probably not have had as much success in the 1990s (one only need to refer to their drought of juniors championships from 1955 to 2005). But after 2005, one would expect a strong DLSU line-up for the reasons you've also pointed out.

yungha
08-19-2010, 11:50 PM
^ agree about ust. for one year magaabot-abot sina francisco, oreta and espiritu. hindi na umangat yung ibang guards nila because of ust's loaded seniors lineup but there was plenty of talent there. plus who could forget cortez and cuan who helped deal us that painful 2006 title defeat.

Istorbo
08-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Which Baste and Beda teams would have been the strongest?

Mel
08-20-2010, 08:28 AM
that might have been their team in 88 with Solomon, Garrido, Quilban et. al.

I remember them beating (handily) the Ateneo team with Jun Reyes, Francisco, et. al..in a sort of battle of Champions game.

lekiboy
08-20-2010, 09:06 AM

for san beda, if they have stayed home- LAHAT yata.... :)
seriously, i think the 97 batch would be the strongest- with messina, ritualo, etc..

BedanRoar
08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Mid 80'S

Magsanoc, Altamirano, Dindo Pumaren. Esplana, Salvatiera, Mendoza, Macky De Joya, Benjie Paras. Sino pa ba?

JB Sison, Dong Vergiere.......

Istorbo
08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Yung Baste ba magiging ganito sana this season:

Lee, Salamat, Raffy Reyes, Arvie Bringas, Andrada?

Baste ba si Vosotros?

nnahoj
08-20-2010, 12:03 PM

for san beda, if they have stayed home- LAHAT yata.... :)
seriously, i think the 97 batch would be the strongest- with messina, ritualo, etc..

ang hirap mamili. i-narrow down kaya natin mga kuya ;D

siguro pwedeng isingit yung 2007 basketball season. magkakampi sila Casio, Menor, Hermida, Taganas, Marcelo, Martinez, Arao (?)... tinging ko solid ang line-up nito kasi all positions covered.

lekiboy
08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Mid 80'S

Magsanoc, Altamirano, Dindo Pumaren. Esplana, Salvatiera, Mendoza, Macky De Joya, Benjie Paras. Sino pa ba?

and we never had the drought really :) - we actually won a crown last 1986...sa UAAP nga lang- hahaha

salsa caballero
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
SBC would be complicated because people tend to forget the Bedan hs teams were themselves sprinkled with recruits from time to time. For example: Benjie Paras came from Victoria School in Cubao, Jenkins Mesina moved from San Agustin, LA Tenorio came from Don Bosco Makati and Adamson, Toti Almeda came from Southridge. Dexter Racho and Xavy Nunag came from elsewhere as well. They would also lose Nico Salva and LA Revilla who moved from LSGH.

Ateneo would have a similar quandary with the likes of Ave Cruz, Gian Chiu, and Paolo Pe who moved from Xavier, and maybe Bugarin and Tiongson who came from San Agustin, (not sure if the latter two were grade school grads who moved to Ateneo for high school.) I think even Ael Banal went to Xavier.

LSGH would also lose Gio Sia who went to Xavier before LSGH as well.

Among these three, it is evidently San Beda which would stand to lose the most in the scenario envisioned.

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2010, 04:18 PM
The 2002 Red Cubs:

Arvie Braganza (UP)
JV Casio (DLSU)
Jay-R Agbayani (UP)
Mike Baldos (ADMU)
Yuri Escueta (ADMU)
Ford Arao (ADMU)

Istorbo
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
What would have been the strongest DLSU team ever?

Spikermike
08-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Mid 80'S

and we never had the drought really :) - we actually won a crown last 1986...sa UAAP nga lang- hahaha

Sportswriters consider this team as one of the best high school teams ever assembled. Even topping the 1984-85 AdMU Blue Eaglets of Jun Reyes, Jayvee Gayoso, Canlas, Nieto. Its strength would have been a fantastic backcourt composed of Ronnie Magsanoc, Dindo Pumaren, Gerry Esplana and Eric Altamirano.
The frontcourt would’ve been anchored by the Tower of Power – Benjie Paras, with Duane Salvatiera, Joey Mendoza and Red Lion Macky De Joya. Ebet Wenceslao and Jigs Mendoza (both members of the UAAP ’86 champs) would round out the potent frontline. You could add Jolly Escobar, who was from SBC-Alabang and played seniors ball for the Red Lions before going to the US and then made a collegiate comeback with another Red team, UE in the early 90s.

One could argue that since the mid-80s Red Cubs dominated the Metro Manila and National HS basketball team, they could have won it all st the srs level whichever league they played, be it the UAAP or NCAA.

I would put this team above a what-have-been SBC team in the late 90s of Ren Ren Ritualo (DLSU), Jenkins Mesina (UP/SBC), Mike Bravo, Mark Jomalesa, Xavy Nunag, (all of UP), Adrian Ronquillo (UE) and Miko Roldan (FEU), and Cubs turned Lions Kerwin McCoy, Jal Casio (JV’s elder bro) and Britt Reroma.

Spikermike
08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
erratum - i meant dominated the Metro Manila and National HS basketball scene...

bchoter
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Was the younger Mendoza, Jigs, part of the UAAP '86 champs?

BedanRoar
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM

Yup he was manong. He was a rookie at that time, he belongs to the San Beda HS Batch 86 (Kaklase ni Paras) . Kaya wala pa syang gaanong playing exposure at that time kasi Guard position siya wherein Magsanoc & Altamirano ang babad (sideline muna siya...two years ahead ang mga kuya niyang Bedista).

lekiboy
08-24-2010, 07:54 AM

Yup he was manong. He was a rookie at that time, he belongs to the San Beda HS Batch 86 (Kaklase ni Paras) . Kaya wala pa syang gaanong playing exposure at that time kasi Guard position siya wherein Magsanoc & Altamirano ang babad (sideline muna siya...two years ahead ang mga kuya niyang Bedista).

kuya bedanroar,
HS 86 ka ba o 85?

BedanRoar
08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Lekiboy. Sent you reply through PM.

lekiboy
08-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Lekiboy. Sent you reply through PM.

got your message....medyo masalimuot pala nung time mo, tol... very hungry and restricted/ :)

BedanRoar
08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Off Topic:
Kaya nag layasan sa Den. Buti bumalik tayo in 1986 pero hindi pa rin maganda ang Basketball Program natin until the time we regained the title. :o

Although we (my generation) experienced the back to back title (Ateneo & La Salle) ;D

KingRedLion
08-24-2010, 03:56 PM
To further qualify the "staying home" for this topic and discussion's sake, I think it would have to be a definition/parameter where, HOME=where you graduated HS.

Overall, it will still be San Beda's. Note that the program Señor Ato Badolato instituted spans 30+ yrs. It was a combination of good players, a system perfected through years of experience and changes, and the name/reputation and quality of education being provided. Everything was a product of choice and opportunities these players were faced those times.

I'm sure there's a lot of similarity to that of the other schools though...

Joescoundrel
08-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Yung Baste ba magiging ganito sana this season:

Lee, Salamat, Raffy Reyes, Arvie Bringas, Andrada?

Baste ba si Vosotros?

Almond Vosotros, Eric Salamat, Paul Lee, Jerome Delgado, Raffy Reyes at the perimeter.
Arvie Bringas, Yutien Andrada, Jeric Estrada, Ken Mamaril up front.
Ryan Buenafe everywhere else.
I'm not absolutely sure, but San Sebastian would then also have Anthony Del Rio and Gilbert Bulawan joining this crew.
How's that for a homegrown powerhouse?

Joescoundrel
08-24-2010, 04:16 PM
^ Also, I think Arvie's older brother Tonton would also be with this crew, although as with the cases of Del Rio and Bulawan, I cannot recall with 100% accuracy now if Tonton was a Staglet.

And they'd also have Raffy Gusi to shore up the pointguard spot.

And of course the mighty Marco Cam shoring up the small forward spot, all 5-feet-11-inches of him.

Joescoundrel
08-24-2010, 04:19 PM
John Noble, Jeff Ongteco, Glenn Khobuntin and Bon Pinat would be helping Junjun Alas shore up the Letran front court.

Roy Sumang, Terrence Romeo and Jarelan Tampus would be helping Kevin Alas open things up from the perimeter.

Would they still have JP Belencion and Jam Cortes though?

Would they get back Clarence Foronda and Anjoe Latonio from FEU?

Joescoundrel
08-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Wouldn't the middle to late-1980's and early 1990's also look very rosy for Ateneo?

We would've had Jay Gayoso, Jun Reyes, Olsen Racela, Jet Nieto, Sep Canlas, Danny Francisco, Alex Araneta, joining Gabby Severino, Prim Nolido, Roy Lietral, Mark Molina, Rico Santiago, Elmer Estimo, Irwin Gatchalian, and Richie Ticzon at one time or another wouldn't we?

Would we have also had Ramil Basa, Albert Mendoza, Haj Jeongco, Philip Ticzon, Jay Bengzon and Randy Sevilla at this time?

Of course at the same time we would never have gotten Gabby Cui and Erwin Luna, and Paolo Isidro (?).

Joescoundrel
08-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Speaking of staying home, what if Xavier School, Colegio De San Agustin, Don Bosco and Lourdes School players all stayed at home too?

I think Don Bosco is the only one with a college level, still what if Lourdes, Xavier and San Agustin had colleges, and all the players they had that went to other schools had stayed with them?

Who were the prominent basketball players who came from these schools?

The_Big_Cat
08-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Speaking of staying home, what if Xavier School, Colegio De San Agustin, Don Bosco and Lourdes School players all stayed at home too?

I think Don Bosco is the only one with a college level, still what if Lourdes, Xavier and San Agustin had colleges, and all the players they had that went to other schools had stayed with them?

Who were the prominent basketball players who came from these schools?

Rensy Bajar came from Lourdes School QC before he transferred to San Beda HS. Former Red Lion Martin Antonio came also from Lourdes School QC.

EJ Feihl studied at Lourdes School of Mandaluyong (Grade School) before transferring to UST HS. While former Eaglet Peter Tioseco transferred to Lourdes School of Mandaluyong in his junior year.

jembengzon
08-26-2010, 12:08 PM
from my time in pre-historic anecdotes :D :D :D, Atty. Perry Martinez (pba technical committee) came from Lourdes QC. Dickie Bachman and Joey Sta. Maria came from CSA. Billy Reyes did a one year hiatus in CSA before he returned to AHS.

From a more modern era, mentioned here in some threads were that Nestor David and Juami Tiongson also came from CSA. Xavier would have had Joseph Yeo, TY Tang and Chris Tiu.

bchoter
08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Cholo Villanueva, Chester Taylor and one-time Tiger Hadi Rashdie (6'8" Gangawani was a teammate but chose to concentrate on his academics in DLSU) all came from CSA.

Melo Afuang first played for DBTC before moving to SBC.

Formet Tiger and asst. coach Beaujing Acot came from Lourdes of Manadaluyong.

Joescoundrel
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Would Tyrone T-ang, Joseph Yeo and Chris Tiu have played alongside Woody Co and Kish Co at any time? Did these guys ever play together in high school?

Martin Antonio and Mike Baldos would have remained in Lourdes wouldn't they?

bchoter
08-26-2010, 01:15 PM

kuya bedanroar,
HS 86 ka ba o 85?
I thought Jigs was part of the 87 team. Naalala ko to sa mga pick up games mejo may pagka athletic at hindi gaya ng kanyang kuya.

OT: Bedanroar di ka batch mo pala ang mga shobiz na sila herbert at aga. Madami sa batch na yan ang natuwa sa EDSA revolution... mass promotion! hehehe

wahsuck
08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Cholo Villanueva, Chester Taylor and one-time Tiger Hadi Rashdie (6'8" Gangawani was a teammate but chose to concentrate on his academics in DLSU) all came from CSA.

Melo Afuang first played for DBTC before moving to SBC.

Formet Tiger and asst. coach Beaujing Acot came from Lourdes of Manadaluyong.

manong bchoter.

DBTI-Makati po si Afuang, Pati si Tenorio

i remember may ka-batch kami nun High School sa DBTI na kinukuha ng DLSU kaso ma-pride, kasi mas naunang i-recruit yun kalaban niya sa Xavier kaya hindi siya nag DLSU. Von Lacorte. Scorer Slasher dati.

salsa caballero
08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Would Tyrone T-ang, Joseph Yeo and Chris Tiu have played alongside Woody Co and Kish Co at any time? Did these guys ever play together in high school?

Joe, Kish Co went to another Tiong Lian school, not Xavier. St. Stephen or Grace IIRC. Not that Xavier would need him to beat any of the other Tiong Lian schools :D

lekiboy
08-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Joe, Kish Co went to another Tiong Lian school, not Xavier. St. Stephen or Grace IIRC. Not that Xavier would need him to beat any of the other Tiong Lian schools :D

salsa,
just curious, did ADMU recruit Yeo / TY?

salsa caballero
08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
^ More on Ty than Yeo. Ty's dad was even adamant then that his son could take LA. Our Maguire mentioned this to LA who just shrugged. As we all know, Ty eventually went to Lasalle to reprise the Xavier backcourt with Yeo for Lasalle. It worked out for both Ty and LA though. In fairness to Tang, his grades and ACET scores were good enough to make it to Loyola if he so chose...A big part of me is happy however that Chris Tiu chose to forgo that stellar Xavier team-up when he went to college...and lupit ng Lasalle kung nagkataon.

As for Yeo, I don't think much effort was put into recruiting him because even in high school he was already practicing with Lasalle. The feeling was he had his heart set on green so hindi na masyado inubra.

lekiboy
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
^ thanks, salsa.

Istorbo
08-27-2010, 09:12 AM
What about the Beda team that had Tenorio and Magnum on it? Would Arao have been on that?

Joescoundrel
08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
^ Hmm... I believe that team would have at least included LA Tenorio, Ford Arao, Mike Baldos, Arvie Braganza, Yuri Escueta and Jeff De Guzman. All of these guys did spend some time at Ateneo, including Braganza who eventually found his way to a UAAP roster via UP. Jeff was the only one in this group who never saw action in the UAAP.

Istorbo
08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Weren't there some UP guys as well such as Toti Almeda and Mike Bravo?

Also at one point, LA would have been teamates with Ritualo then teamates with Casio at another point.

yungha
08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
4 years lang eligibility sa ncaa so hindi maaabutan nina ritualo sina tenorio. ritualo would have played with roldan, mesina, bravo, almeda, jomalesa, nunag. maaabutan nina nunag sina magnum, cordero, tenorio and the late lino tabique. maabutan nina tenorio sina ford. maaabutan nina ford sina menor. maaabutan nina ford sina marcelo. maaabutan nina marcelo sina art dela cruz. and sina art dela cruz maaabutan sina amer, sara at gotladera.

kung puro homegrown din ang kalaban, puro san beda ang ncaa champs since the mid-90s. letran will be tough mid-decade with walsham, intal and jr reyes. the past few years, puro san beda-baste siguro ang finals with matchup advantages in baste's favor slightly.

tigerman
08-29-2010, 10:59 PM

You were probably referring to Hector Badua? Napaghalo mo ata siya saka si Daryl Basa. ;D They were part of the 2007 UST team but both of them didn't last long.

^ agree about ust. for one year magaabot-abot sina francisco, oreta and espiritu. hindi na umangat yung ibang guards nila because of ust's loaded seniors lineup but there was plenty of talent there. plus who could forget cortez and cuan who helped deal us that painful 2006 title defeat.

Hindi puwedeng mag-abot si Espiritu (You're referring to the kuya right?) saka Francisco. The former's last playing year in the juniors was the last playing year of the latter in the seniors. Ang puwede lang mag-abot ay sila Francisco at Oreta.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

yungha
08-29-2010, 11:41 PM
^yup that's hector badua thanks for the correction.

gerard francisco led the tiger cubs to the juniors title in 1994. he was a seniors rookie in 1995. therefore he could have played in 95, 96, 97, 98 and 99. alwyn led the tiger cubs to the 1998 juniors title, was a seniors rookie in 1999. therefore they could have played together in 1999. i don't know why gerard didn't play in 99.

tigerman
09-02-2010, 01:41 PM
What about the Mapua Red Robins? Kung ang Eaglets at Tiger Cubs nagpapalitan lang ng mga kampeonato noong dekada nobenta sa UAAP, sa NCAA naman ang madalas magharap dati ay Red Robins at Red Lions di ba?

Telan and Magpantay went to DLSU, Ballesteros, Ortiguerra and Ong went to UST.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Joescoundrel
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
What about the Mapua Red Robins? Kung ang Eaglets at Tiger Cubs nagpapalitan lang ng mga kampeonato noong dekada nobenta sa UAAP, sa NCAA naman ang madalas magharap dati ay Red Robins at Red Lions di ba?

That would mean Japeth Aguilar and Mike Galinato would have remain in Mapua as well.

Dunk
09-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Magpantay is with Letran HS 91 and not with Mapua.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

eboy
10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Claret with JC Intal and Japs Cuan would have also been competitive.

genom222
07-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I think the "supposed" Red Lions line up for the 97 NCAA season would have been dominant. Imagine Ritualo and Rivera playing together, who would you cover first? I imagine the line up to be something like this:

PG: Bajar/Jomalesa/Nunag
SG: Ritualo/Rivera/Nunag
SF: Rivera/McCoy/Bravo
PF: Mesina/??? forgot the name of the starting PF then
C: Norman Gonazales/Roldan

I dont think the Stags would have 5-peated if this happened but for San Beda this would have been a very small window of opportunity since it was Rivera, Bajar and Gonazels' last years in the team.

T-Tabz
07-14-2011, 10:21 AM
On paper Marlou Aquino's batch would have been up there. Aquino, Pineda, Bong Dela Cruz, Feihl, the 2 that stayed (which I can't recall right now). However, Aquono and co. were not able to translate that to even a single crown. Ironically, UST won a couple of the 4-peat within the eligibility period of said players. But, who knows? Coach Aric was at his best during their time. Bong Hawkin's batch was pretty good, too.

FEU could also make a case for themselves. What if Soc, Lopez, Dexter stayed? What if Jolas resisted the lure of showbiz? What a star-crossed batch...

Cabaluna and Tioseco?