PDA

View Full Version : PBA OFF SEASON... trades, draft... ETC..

jared23
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Updates on PBA this Coming OFF season :-*

jared23
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Smart Gilas players join PBA Draft pool
8/04/2010 | PBA, Smart Gilas | 7 comments »

source: PBA.com.ph

Another Smart Gilas Pilipinas player has made himself available for the 2010 PBA Annual Draft slated Aug. 29 at the Market! Market! in Taguig.

Ray Francis Guevarra filed his Draft application at the PBA office Monday, following the lead of Smart Gilas and Letran College teammate RJ Jazul.

Rabah Al-Husseini has also asked for his release from the Philippine training pool. The 6-foot-7 center out of Ateneo is expected to apply for the PBA Draft in the next few days.

If ever, these players will have their last stint with Smart Gilas in the Stankovic Cup in Lebanon this Aug. 7-15.

Another blue-chip amateur player applying for the Draft Tuesday was University of the East’s Elmer Espiritu.

The 6-foot-4 Espiritu played for UE for five years, earning a spot in the Mythical Five and winning Defensive Player of the Year honors last year.

A two-time slam dunk winner in the UAAP/NCAA All-Star festivities, Espiritu suited up for Cobra, Pharex and Mail & More in the PBL and was part of the Philippine Patriots team that ruled the inaugural Asean Basketball League championship last year.

Guevarra is likewise a former two-time ruler of the UAAP/NCAA slam dunk contest, winning it in 2005 and 2007. He played for Bacchus and Toyota Otis in the PBL.

With about a month to go before the event, around 40 applicants have already submitted their papers at the PBA office in Libis, Quezon City.

A handful are Fil-foreign players, including one who was born in Tripoli, Libya, another in Frankfurt, Germany and a pair from Canada.

Melchor Caysil Gile listed Libya as his place of birth, but suited up for University of Santo Tomas in the UAAP and had stints in both the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the Asean Basketball League (ABL).

Marvin Gallemit Graebel was born in Germany and attended Stauffenberg Business School, although the 6-foot-4 forward played for both the PBL and Liga Pilipinas.

Raymond Montaniel is from Toronto, Canada, but saw action in Liga Pilipinas, while Vancouver-born Sean Michael Dee Anthony currently plays for Ascof in the Tournament of the Philippines.

Among the other notable locals are former UST Tigers Khazim Mirza and Chester Taylor, Riego Meinardo Villa Gamalinda, a key player in San Beda’s string of NCAA championships, pesky Robert Labagala of University of the East, his Warrior teammate Narciso Llagas Jr., De La Salle’s Peejay Barua, John Melegrito of Letran and Giorgio Ciriacruz of Arellano. (SB)

Joescoundrel
08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
From our friends in Inquirer Sports ___

Baclao taken No. 1 over Al-Hussaini

Cedelf P. Tupas

MANILA, Philippines—In one of the most stunning PBA Draft Day turnarounds, Air21 made former Ateneo standout Siverino “Nonoy” Baclao the top pick Sunday, selecting him ahead of celebrated teammate Rabeh Al-Hussaini before a huge crowd at the Market! Market! in Taguig City.

No one was more surprised by Air21’s choice than the two collegiate teammates, who powered Ateneo to back-to-back UAAP crowns in 2008 and 2009.

“I thought I was going to be No. 2,” said Baclao, the 2008 UAAP Finals Most Valuable Player, who joined Ateneo after playing for West Negros University in Bacolod. “It’s just a blessing to be picked.”

“Of course, I’m not happy. Disappointed,” said Al-Hussaini, the 2009 UAAP MVP, after he was announced as the second pick by the Express. “It’s an insult.”

Al-Hussaini was in a pensive mood throughout the drafting exercise, but acted a little more subdued when he was approached by reporters later.

“It only means that I’m not the best in the field,” the 6-foot-7 center, who will play alongside half-brother, Carlo Sharma, in the Express. “I’ll take it as a challenge. I’ll just play my best to make all the fans happy.”

Johann Ramos, Air21’s representative to the PBA board, did not give any reason why they picked Baclao ahead of Al-Hussaini.

“Basically, they’re going to the same team,” Ramos said. “If you’re really good, you have to prove yourself.”

Ramos immediately quashed rumors that the former Ateneo standouts will be traded, saying the duo will be the cornerstones of their rebuilding squad.

“They’ll be developed,” said Ramos. “They’ll compliment each other. They’ll be like Batman and Robin.”

Former Letran star Rey Guevarra was picked third by the Express with Elmer Espiritu going to Alaska at No. 4, after the Aces got the rights from Talk ‘N Text in a trade that sent Larry Fonacier to the Tropang Texters.

Air 21 also got Sean Anthony at No. 6, but the Express reportedly sent the Filipino-American, along with gunner Renren Ritualo to Powerade (formerly Coca-Cola), for future draft picks late last night.

Rain or Shine made Filipino-American Josh Vanlandingham the fifth pick and selected RJ Jazul from Letran at No. 15 in the second round.

Barangay Ginebra, already with a guard-loaded lineup, added three more to its roster by taking former NCAA MVP John Wilson from Jose Rizal U at No. 7, Jimbo Aquino from San Sebastian at No. 8 and Rob Labagala from University of the East at No. 12.

B-Meg Derby Ace took former UE center Pari Llagas at No. 9 and teammate Val Acuna at No. 13.

Meralco selected Shawn Weinstein at No. 10 after getting the rights from Alaska as part of the deal that sent Bonbon Custodio to the Aces. The Bolts also picked former Ateneo big man Ford Arao at No. 14 and Khasim Mirza at No. 16.

Air 21 traded its 17th pick to Powerade, which used it on Jai Reyes, while Alaska rounded out the proceedings by getting Marvin Hayes from JRU at No. 21.

Joescoundrel
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I really wonder why Air 21 made Nonoy Baclao the Number 1 overall pick. I love both Noy and Rabeh to death, but given Rabeh's better overall game, superior size and individual accomplishments especially over the last two years of his college career, I would think Air 21 would have taken Rabeh with the Number 1 pick.

Speaking of draft picks, who the heck is that Sean Anthony fellow? He is listed at 5'11" so I assume he is a guard.

Joescoundrel
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM
^ My mistake, the 5'11" fellow is Shawn Weinstein. Sean Anthony is 6'4". Who are these guys?

Joescoundrel
08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
From GMA News online ___

Trade Galore: Fonacier, Ritualo, Villanueva headed to New Teams

Trading of players during Draft Day is nothing but an ordinary sight in the Philippine Basketball Association.

Deadly shooters Larry Fonacier and Ren-Ren Ritualo and promising guard Jonas Villanueva are now headed to their new teams after separate deals were reached before and during day of the 2010 Rookie Draft.

The 6-foot-3 Fonacier will join a Talk N Text Tropang Texters squad orphaned by its leading scorer the past two seasons -- Mac Mac Cardona, who is now with the newest member in the league, the Meralco Bolts.

Pressed with issues on salary cap, Alaska was forced to unload Fonacier, who was shipped to the Tropang Texters. In return, the Aces got the rights on the No.4 overall pick and immediately named high-flying Elmer Espirtu of the University of the East Warriors as their top rookie pick.

The Aces also worked on a separate trade, this time, with Meralco. They acquired the services of combo guard Bonbon Custodio then gave up their No. 10 pick in the first round to the Bolts.

“It costs us Larry in this season's draft and it will definitely hurt us a lot. He played a pivotal role in the championship series against San Miguel and was really coming into his own, but he became a victim of the salary cap," said Alaska coach Tim Cone, the winningest mentor among active coaches.

“The good side is, he will join a Talk N Text where he can earn more and will be under the guidance of Chot Reyes, who is a good friend of mine. He (Chot) promised me to take care of Larry," added Cone.

But Alaska did not only kept the nucleus of the team intact. It bolstered the roster even more with the addition of Espiritu, a 6-foot-3 forward and former Slam Dunk champion of the UAAP, as well as securing the services of Custodio and Marvin Hayes.

“Other teams are looking at either La Salle or Ateneo, but we wanted players from UE, this season, so we picked Elmer Espiritu and got Bonbon Custodio via a trade. I've been keeping an eye on Espiritu as early as two years ago. As for Bonbon, we hope he can fill up the spot left by Larry."

“One good thing about Bonbon is he is a combo guard. A combo guard is ideal for Triangle Offense. There's something in Marvin Hayes, which can be developed and that's the reason why we took a chance on him."

Ritualo, a 6-foot-1 gunner, will be reunited with his old coach – Bo Perasol – with the Powerade Tigers.

The deal was agreed in principle while all 10 teams were waiting for their turn to hand over their respective picks in the draft.

First, the Express and the Tigers worked on a trade for the rights on the No. 6 overall pick obtained by Powerade.

Powerade chose Josh Vanlandingham, a Fil-Canadian forward, as the sixth pick, but gave up its first-round draft pick for 2012 to Air21. Then, the two teams worked on a deal that shipped Ritualo out of the Express and sent him to the Tigers’ den.

In return, the Express will secure the Tigers’ second-round pick next year.

And then, there’s Villanueva, a talented guard, who blossomed last season, but found himself relegated back as a third-string guard in San Miguel’s congested backcourt unit.

Villanueva is reportedly headed to B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados, but a conduit squad is needed in order for the transfer to push through. The Llamados and the Beermen are sister teams and under league rules, they cannot trade players directly and will need an independent squad to make the trade legal.

A highly-placed source from B-Meg’s camp told GMANews.TV that a conduit squad is the only lacking piece that will make Villanueva an instant addition to Llamados’ squad, whose guard spot needs some retooling.

“As of now, that’s the only (conduit) lacking we have. Jonas’ transfer is being worked out now. We just have to finish the other details," said the source. - Rey Joble, GMANews.TV

from http://www.gmanews.tv/story/199734/trade-galore-fonacier-ritualo-villanueva-headed-to-new-teams

duphaR007
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
sir Joe,

Sean Anthony

The only Fil-Canadian in the batch, Sean Anthony, is from Vancouver but went to McGill University in Montreal where he played for five years. This shooting guard, small forward was an MVP two years ago, was the all-conference defensive player and has got real athletic abilities which he showcased in a short stint in the Tournament of the Philippines. In his lone game, he scored 13 points, four rebounds and two assists, but he suffered a broken nose from a teammate in Ascof which is why he’s been playing in the scrimmages with a face guard.

Shawn Weinstein

Tracing his roots from Cebu, of the Pila clan, Shawn Weinstein is hoping he can showcase his brand of play in the PBA too. Originally from Los Angeles, Weinstein went to the San Diego State University then moved to the St. Edwards University in Austin, Texas where he was the starting PG for three years. This 25-year-old played professionally in the Israel Premier League playing for the Maccabi Netanya team for two years before deciding to come here and try his luck. He’s got high basketball IQ, obviously because of his age and his experience, and he’s very hardworking. He flew in two days before the draft camp.

source:Patricia Hizon Yahoo writeup

oca
08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Bakit nga ba ginawang 1st pick si Baclao...

Imo, it was the character and personality of the kid that made him the 1st pick. Kung ako ang management ng Air21, if I will rebuild my team with the first 3 picks from the draft, mas gugustuhin kong mabuo ang team around a player whose has exemplified good character on court. The 1st pick is your poster boy.

May kukuwestyon ba sa demeanor, humility at ugali ni Nonoy? Pero si Rabeh?

Huwag na hwag niyo kalimutan, napaka-image conscious ng PBA.

duphaR007
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Nonoy picked over Rabeh a ploy, says Air21 exec

Rey Joble, GMANews.TV
08/30/2010 | 04:31 PM

The decision to pick Siverino ‘Nonoy’ Baclao ahead of Rabeh Al-Hussaini was a ploy to bring the best out of both players and see how they will react with the turn of events.

“There were two things considered there. First, we want to give Baclao added confidence in his game and play like a true No.1 pick. Second, we want to bring the best out of Al-Hussaini and prove to everyone he deserves to be No.1," said newly-appointed Air21 team manager Allan Gregorio.

In the end, the Express left one guy happier than ever while the other one felt insulted. So there’s a problem that needs to be addressed quickly.

Yeng Guiao, a multi-titled, veteran coach, has experienced handling unhappy players due to playing time, players who were more of a head case or even those who spelled trouble inside the court in his 30 years as mentor in the league. He will have another tough task of trying to keep a hold of his new breed of talents.

The fiery mentor will have to take a serious look at Al-Hussaini – a discontented rookie, who ended up at No.2 behind Baclao in the just concluded PBA Annual Rookie Draft. Rey Guevarra, a talented small forward, was selected third overall by the Express.

“Yeah, I’ve seen and experienced a lot of those in my long coaching stint in the PBA," said Guiao of his past players. “But this case involving Rabeh can be fixed. I’m confident we can fix it."

Al Hussaini, a potential top overall pick and a cinch to become the No.1 rookie choice, couldn’t hide his disappointment and felt insulted the moment Baclao’s name was called.

But for someone who’s been with these two players, there’s a deeper reason why Al-Hussaini felt insulted when Baclao’s name was called as the top overall pick in the Rookie Draft.

“The two didn’t get along ever since 2008 when Ateneo won the first of its back-to-back UAAP championships," said a team insider from the Eagles, who’s been a witness on how sour the relationship of Al-Hussaini and Baclao was from that time.

The same source added that the two players came to blows in practice and the long feud was only overshadowed when the Blue Eagles won their second straight title.

On Draft Day, several key members of the Ateneo community, threw their support to Baclao and an alumnus who requested anonymity told GMANews.TV that they came in to support the hardworking, 6-foot-4 player from Bacolod City.

“He is the more likeable Atenean. A player who has a humble beginning, who works hard every game and in practice," said this Ateneo alumnus.

Guiao said he’s not aware of the past bickering of his two new prized-rookies, but is hoping to get them play together for the benefit of the team.

“I’m not aware of it. But for me, it’s a clean slate. I don’t have any business with whatever differences they had in the past, if there’s any. But I want to see them play hard and play within our system," said Guiao.

On Tuesday, the Express start their practice for the PBA’s 36th season. Who’s acting more professionally is what matters to Guiao.

Al-Hussaini won’t be traded

Bert Lina, chairman of the Lina Group of Companies and team owner of the Express, gave out directives to the management and coaching staff to let their top three rookies be their cornerstone of their franchise.

“The top rookies will stay. A lot of people thought Al-Hussaini’s comments may have fueled talks that he might be traded. But no. No less than our chairman, Mr. Lina, gave the orders that these rookies will stay and become the cornerstone of our franchise," said Gregorio.

Gregorio added that the top three rookies will also be offered to a three-year pact on Tuesday.

“Baclao and Rabeh will be offered maximum three-year contracts," said Gregorio. “Guevarra will be given a little less, but also to a three-year pact." - GMANews.TV

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 08:32 AM
^ Great, more chismis fueling the fire. A long-running feud, eh? Gee, could've fooled me the way they played together especially during the back-to-back championship campaign.

Wouldn't the counter-argument therefore be that Rabeh is thus NOT the headcase he is thought to be? IF indeed he and Nonoy did have a "long-running feud", and Rabeh the "headcase" was able to SET THAT ASIDE in order to win back-to-back championships, then that only means he IS NOT the hopeless headcase most people think him to be.

Schortsanitis
08-31-2010, 08:44 AM
It sounds like the less talented, but more popular player gets boosted up, but the more talented, but less popular player gets pulled down.

In other words, its not a question of MERIT, but a question of popularity.

Or, it could be another angle: The agent, or people behind Baclao has more "pull" than the people behind Rabeh.

In that case, let me rephrase the statement to, "Its not a question of merit, its a question of popularity, or connections".

I think Air21 made a big blunder in this case, one they will again reap the consequences.

oca
08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
I say, it is more on "image". Not merit, not skills, not popularity.

Air21 is a team without an identity. They will build a team around these top picks. Naturalmente, yung 1st pick ang poster boy ng team nila.

Tanong: Who has the better "image"?

Take note, the PBA is no longer an organization that simply plays basketball. It is a platform, a venue, a vehicle to promote something. In these undertaking image means everything.

oca
08-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Fact was, kahit sino unahin nila, sa Air21 pa rin yung unang tatlong pick!

Pero ano ba ang dating ng first pick?

Ikaw ang kakatawan ng franchise sa hinaharap. Ikaw ang boses ng team. Ikaw ang mukha ng team.

Between a humble probinsyano, na mahinahon magsalita, at isang maangas na laking lungsod, sino ang mas babagay na "image" ng isang produkto/ serbisyo na walang dating ang pangalan dito man sa Maynila, o Batanes, o Jolo?

Joescoundrel
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
^ Ka Oca, akala ko ba industry leader na ang Air 21 sa cargo forwarding at delivery, why not get the maangas na laking lungsod, mas bagay sa aggressive expansion and growth ng kompanya nila.

After all, as far back as when they were still Fed Ex didn't they make the incomparable Wynne Arboleda one of the team's main men? :-X

easter
08-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Tindi talaga ng media kahit sa BEN di man lang nabalitaan yang awayan ni Baclao at Rabeh. Baka puro mga taga The Buzz ang nagsulat nyan.

oca
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
^ Ka Oca, akala ko ba industry leader na ang Air 21 sa cargo forwarding at delivery, why not get the maangas na laking lungsod, mas bagay sa aggressive expansion and growth ng kompanya nila.

After all, as far back as when they were still Fed Ex didn't they make the incomparable Wynne Arboleda one of the team's main men? :-X

Industry leader na walang dating. ::)

Alam ko mas kilala pa ang LBC! ;)

Joescoundrel
09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
^ Peborit namin ni misis ang LBC Ka Oca, lalo sa remittance. ;D

As for the Top 3 picks, well, indeed all three of them went to just that one team. Maybe there is a difference as to how much the Number 1 will get compared to the Number 2 and even to the Number 3?

Maybe Air 21 thinks they can bargain more easily with Nonoy Baclao's representation compared to Rabeh's representation, i.e. if they get Nonoy to sign for less than the maximum as the Number 1 pick, they get to save a few bucks with Rabeh at Number 2 and Rey Guevarra at Number 3.

oca
09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
^ Peborit namin ni misis ang LBC Ka Oca, lalo sa remittance. ;D

As for the Top 3 picks, well, indeed all three of them went to just that one team. Maybe there is a difference as to how much the Number 1 will get compared to the Number 2 and even to the Number 3?

Maybe Air 21 thinks they can bargain more easily with Nonoy Baclao's representation compared to Rabeh's representation, i.e. if they get Nonoy to sign for less than the maximum as the Number 1 pick, they get to save a few bucks with Rabeh at Number 2 and Rey Guevarra at Number 3.

An official from Air21 was quoted saying that Nonoy and Rabeh will get the max for rookies. Si Rey and tatawaran nila. Kaya di yata yung tatawaran si Rabeh ang dahilan.

Pero napakarami talaga ng kuro-kuro kung bakit nga ba ginawa yun ng Air21.

Pero ako, paniwala ko talaga ay "business move" yun. They want an "image and create an identity" for the services. Image model kumbaga. Nonoy is certainly better for that purpose than Rabeh--- i suppose di na dapat pag-usapan yan. ;) Hence, ginawa nilang top pick ang "probinsyano".

Validation will come soon by way of posters and print ads for the services offered by Air21. Pag mukha ni Nonoy ang bumabandera sa ads - print at tv-- then yun na ang dahilan bakit siya ginawang top pick.

Baka pag si Nonoy na ang mukha ng Air21, sa kanila ka na rin magpadala ng remittance.... ;D

The_Big_Cat
09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Sana para hindi mabahiran ng kulay ay ganito na lang ang ginawa ng Air 21:

Number 1: Rey Guevarra
Number 2/Number 3: Nonoy or Rabeh.

;D

lekiboy
09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
^ iba ang balita ko.... naaangasan kay rabeh ang top brass ng air21... bait na bait naman kay nonoy.. rabeh must have really made an impression.

Joescoundrel
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
^ Rabeh has always been like that, on the uh, petulant side... :-X Just as Nonoy has always been unassuming and soft-spoken.

Makes me wonder sometimes how Nonoy and the oh so bubbly Erica Liboro ever became a couple. Diyata't si Erica ang nanligaw...? ;D

Schortsanitis
09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
The Rabeh Al-Husseini PBA Number One Draft Snub

I have been "weaning" myself away from basketball, but still knew enough to be shocked by the news when Air21 picked Nonoy Baclao over Rabeh Al-Husseini as the number one pick overall in the 2010 PBA Rookie Draft.

I have nothing against Nonoy, I think he is a good player, and will have a long, storied career in the PBA. Baclao reminds me a lot of a younger, taller, more talented version of Freddie Abuda, because he is a player who gets things done in the frontline by virtue of hard work, determination, and heart.

However, in terms of awards (Season MVP versus Finals MVP), and statistics in college, there is no doubt that Rabeh has a clear advantage over Nonoy. So why would Air21 intentionally pick Nonoy over Rabeh as the number one pick?

I don't agree with Air21's assertion that it didn't matter because they had three first picks in the draft. A number one pick automatically puts you in the PBA history books, and carries a lot of prestige with it, so it does matter.

As to why, I can only hazard these guesses:

* Air21 Sees More Potential in Baclao Than Rabeh, and Thus Considers Him as More of a Priority
- Despite Rabeh's better accomplishments and statistics, maybe they saw something in Nonoy that made them think he is the more promising player than Rabeh. They are, of course entitled to their own opinions, but right now, it is just that: Subjective Opinions, as opposed to hard facts and statistics.
- Besides, even if they think Nonoy has more "potential", the word "potential" means it MAY, or MAY NOT happen. Then again, they are the experts. However, even experts should not be ignoring hard, quantifiable facts. To do so is quite risky, even for them.

* Air21 Picked Nonoy Over Rabeh as a Negotiation Ploy
- Being picked number one in the PBA Draft does not only come with prestige and a place in the PBA history books, it also helps in negotiations for the contracts of the players. The agents will say, "hey, you picked my kid number one overall, he should get more extras and bonuses". Rabeh was highly regarded, and expected to be the number one draft, and putting him at number two would sort of deflate the expectations and position of Rabeh during the negotiation phase.
- Then again, whatever "savings" they thought they could get from Rabeh is offset by the fact that Nonoy might ask more than he expected to since he was picked number one.

* Air21 Picked Nonoy Over Rabeh Because of Influence
- It could be that the people around Nonoy is closer, or has more influence than the people around Rabeh on the Air21 management. And since Air21 has the first three picks in the draft, some pushing on the part of Nonoy's people could've resulted in the situation, where Nonoy got a little more prestige than Rabeh.

* Air21 Picked Nonoy Over Rabeh to Motivate Rabeh
- Rabeh's first two years with the Blue Eagles were not very impressive. Part of it was because better big men were around, but I do remember reading in the Gameface Forums observations from the ADMU alumni that Rabeh needed to be constantly motivated, positively, or negatively, to give his best game in, and game out.
- However, this could backfire on the Air21 team, if not sooner, than later. The fact that Rabeh lost out on the history books will always be on the back of his mind, and when the time comes that he has made a name for himself, and his contract expires, he could say he doesn't owe Air21 anything more than needed, and could go and search for a better pasture. The feeling of "loyalty" will not be there. This can be the case when it comes to repercussions of "Tough Love".

* Air21 Picked Nonoy Over Rabeh as a Publicity Stunt
- In showbiz, and the PBA is getting closer to "entertainment", any kind of publicity is almost always good, even negative, or controversial publicity. That's because that will get people to talk about you. And that is certainly what happened in this case, as it got the local basketball scene talking about the whole incident. More publicity, could mean more sales.
- Then again, it could cause behavioral, or administrative problems later on for the team, and that could end up in a situation wherein the gains are much less than the losses.

'Conclusion'
It could be one of the above, or a combination of the above items. We will likely never know for sure. At any rate, the latest news items says that Rabeh has so far taken the whole thing positively, and thus will be motivated to do better in the PBA.

That is good, and time will tell, and people will be closely watching also how both Nonoy, and Rabeh will be playing in the PBA. Will Nonoy overshadow Rabeh in the pro league, or will Rabeh, as expected, be a more dominant big man than Nonoy? 'Abangan!'