PDA

View Full Version : Episode 3: Discussions on Recruits and Recruitment (August 3, 2010)

gameface_one
08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Listen to recruiting experts on the Collegiate Basketball Scene and the exclusive behind the present and future recruits. Who will be the top high school prospects for the next two years. Post your viewpoints and questions here.

gameface_one
08-01-2010, 07:25 PM
We will also have a live NBA update from Henry Liao.

Sam Miguel
08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
I wonder if the topic of money will be discussed here...

gameface_one
08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
We might touch on a lot of sensitive issues here like who could have ended where, what were the "deals" made to get players in the past, do top recruits really pass the college entrance tests, what are the perks offered and given, how did the recruits end up with their current team(s).......

We will have some recruiting experts as guests. They will also discuss the top recruits for next year.

Henry Liao will also provide the latest NBA updates.

Join us in the discussions by posting your comments, viewpoints, and questions here!

AnthonyServinio
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
We might touch on a lot of sensitive issues here like who could have ended where, what were the "deals" made to get players in the past, do top recruits really pass the college entrance tests, what are the perks offered and given, how did the recruits end up with their current team(s).......

We will have some recruiting experts as guests. They will also discuss the top recruits for next year.
I only have one major concern . . . they should stop the big schools from signing players left and right and then letting them rot for years in their practice teams without ever seeing action in the NCAA or UAAP!

Sam Miguel
08-03-2010, 08:05 AM
^^^ Anthony makes a valid point here.

Ateneo was never able to use the likes of Miggy Solitaria, Harry Hipolito and Chester Chavez in the UAAP. They waited until his fourth curriculum year to use Mike Baldos.

FEU has yet to line up 6-foot-6 Jojo Ambohot, and that 6-foot-10 African teenager who was practicing with Eric Altamirano's U-18 team a couple of months back.

Sam Miguel
08-03-2010, 08:20 AM
One other aspect of recruitment: How about those schools who want a ďreimbursementĒ for ďexpensesĒ before releasing a player to another school?

I find that questionable, if not out and out illegal.

Here is how I see this: a Manila school discovers a player say in the countryside. They offer him a scholarship, some allowance, a dorm, uniform and shoes, and he agrees to play varsity ball for this school. It is the kidís dream to one day play pro ball and this was the chance he was looking for.

This school then pays for his airfare or bus fare or whatnot to bring him to Manila. They enroll him, he practices with the team, gets lined up and plays say two full varsity seasons for this school. He wins MVP in his second season while leading his school to the championship. All the while heís getting his allowance and he gets to attend classes for free and even gets free books.

One day a bigger Manila schoolís scout spots him and asks him to transfer and play in a bigger league, where he will get a bigger chance and more opportunities to show his game. He tells his coach. His coach is not happy (obviously). He tells the athletics director and he is not happy either (obviously).

They sit down with the player and they plead with him to stay in their school, even offering to double his allowance if he stays.

The player says heís Ok with getting less of an allowance and even just a half-scholarship as long as he can play in the bigger league. He just wants the chance to make his dream come true.

The coach and the athletics director are not amused. They threaten to withhold his papers and not give him his honorable dismissal. If he wants out of their school he has to pay back everything given to him, fare, allowance, tuition, miscellaneous, the whole nine yards and even the kitchen sink.

The player tells the bigger schoolís scout about what his current school wants. The scout tells his coach, athletics director and team manager. They talk to some alumni and shell out the cash. The player gets his release.

Isnít there anything about this that is illegal?

Under the Magna Carta of Students, donít students enjoy the right to enroll/study where they please?

Iíve always thought that in this scenario, if we think of this as a contract, hasnít the player already fulfilled his end of the contract by playing for the school in consideration of the scholarship, allowances and other perks and benefits?

Itís like telling an employee who is resigning to take a better job in another company that he has to give back the salaries, bonuses and benefits he earned before his original company releases him, which is of course illegal.

Wang-Bu
08-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Sama na din natin dyan ang mga player na nasa high school pa lang may mga manager at ahente na, tarages talaga, at ginawa na talagang kalakal ang pagiging varsity. o kaya ang mga magulang na nilalako ang mga anak nilang player at pinepresyuhan, o kaya umaasungot pa, gaya nung isang taga-cebu na ex-pro na ang gusto gawin siyang assistant coach ng kung sino mang paaralan ang gustong kumuha sa anak nya. meron din dyan na mga nalalaman pang package deal, kapag kinuha mo isang player dapat papag-aralin mo din ang mga utol niya, o kaya naman isang magaling na player gusto kasamang kukunin ang isang kakampi niya na bespren nya kahit wala namang silbi maglaro.

Wang-Bu
08-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Talakayin na din sana ang aspeto ng recruitment kung saan may mga nangma-magic ng papeles ng player, naalala ko tuloy ang kaso dati ni vergel meneses na pineke ang edad sa papeles niya, o kaya talakyin din sana ang nangyari kina mark benitez at dun sa gatchalian kasi kawawa sa ganyang pagkakataon ang player AT ang paaralan, parehas lang silang nababahiran ng bintang ng pandaraya. ako naman kasi hirap akong maniwala na gumagalaw ng mag-isa ang isang hamak na player at walang fixer o kung sino pa man na humo-hocus pocus sa papeles ng player kung gusto niya talagang magprisenta ng na-magic na papeles. sama na din diyan 'yung gawain naman ng ibang sikat na paaralan na pinapaulit ng year level ang player para humaba ang ipapakinabang sa eligibility nung nasabing player, balita ko kalakaran daw ito ng isang sikat na sikat na high school coach kaya nakarami ng championship.

Wang-Bu
08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Pwede kaya ang ganito: kapag isa kang paaralan ng uaap o ncaa, at may ni-recruit kang player mula sa naascu, uclaa, ncraa, cesafi, ucaa, isaa, etc-etc, hindi kaya dapat ma-lineup mo ang kinuha mo sa loob ng dalawang taon, at kung hindi man ay meron na kagad siyang automatic na parang "free agent status" kung saan kapag ninais niyang lumipat ng ibang paaralan ay dapat ibigay mo na ng walang singil at walang abala at agad-agaran ang kompletong papeles ng player. kinuha mo si player dahil kuno ila-lineup mo. sabihin na natin may residency na maximum naman dalawang taon lang. kapag hindi mo ni-lineup si player pwede na siyang pag-agawan ng ibang paaralan, at wala ka ng karapatang pigilan si player o ang ibang paaralan. pwede kaya ang ganun?

gider
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
pls discuss how to safeguard the college leagues from over aged players w/ fake birth certificate. and can you also discuss if playing for a relative is good for the team, case in point letran and san beda.

bchoter
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Is it impossible to put a max on what a student-athlete should receive like in the US NCAA? And can we totally eradicate the agaent/managers in the college level?

john_paul_manahan
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
what was the most contentious recruitment saga ever?

was it bj manalo & ogie menor?

razor
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
... and can you also discuss if playing for a relative is good for the team, case in point letran and san beda.

padre, are you satisfied with the answer? ;D

gider
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
pls discuss how to safeguard the college leagues from over aged players w/ fake birth certificate. and can you also discuss if playing for a relative is good for the team, case in point letran and san beda.

what about my 1st topic? over aged players w fake birth cert

leon.guinto
08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Joe, for JOJO:
is it true that IGEE KING, son of ABE KING, is being eyed by SAN BEDA?

gider
08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
whats ur take on the uphsd transferees from pcu which was blocked by letran and jru

Joescoundrel
08-04-2010, 09:00 AM
One word to describe Episode 3: BITIN!

There was so much more for us to discuss. Perhaps we can do a Part II of the Recruits and Recruitment topic after the regular varsity seasons.

LION
08-04-2010, 09:04 AM
^Better if the Taft and Espana schools are represented.

danny
08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Where can I listen for a replay?

Sam Miguel
08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
^^^ Danny, I am not a tech guy so I have no clue what they actually do, but we are in the process of uploading the audio files from the show here on the homepage so people can listen back, just not sure exactly when this will be completed.

Sam Miguel
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe even NAASCU or NCRAA schools should be represented, because a lot of their own good players get pirated. I seem to recall Hans Thiele was pirated out of PSBA by UE. I think Dennis Miranda was also a PSBA guy before going to FEU. Art Onas of St Francis of Assisi told me that both Ateneo and Lasalle were actively running after Yancy and Ranidel De Ocampo when both brothers were with the Doves. That is one aspect of recruitment that would make for a really heated discussion.

leon.guinto
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Sobrang BITIN naman ng episode. Parang cloaked with secrecy pa si Igee King, away pang mag divulge ng info ni Sir Jojo. hehehe ;-)

lekiboy
08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
^^^ Danny, I am not a tech guy so I have no clue what they actually do, but we are in the process of uploading the audio files from the show here on the homepage so people can listen back, just not sure exactly when this will be completed.

youtube, boss...pwede na. salamat.

gameFaceAdmin
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Refer to the Gameface Radio menu button located at the header. The first 2 episodes are already uploaded.

Thanks.

lekiboy
08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Refer to the Gameface Radio menu button located at the header. The first 2 episodes are already uploaded.

Thanks.

Thanks, Big boss.

bchoter
08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Pareng LION, ano naman ang gusto mong i offer ng tiga Esapana sa disussion? How to lose a recruit?

LION
08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Pareng LION, ano naman ang gusto mong i offer ng tiga Esapana sa disussion? How to lose a recruit?

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Si Pido dapat ang rep ng UST.

bchoter
08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Sige pampa depress. From the late 90s
Lost to UAAP teams:
1. FA (wheels)
2. RB (Katotohanan) *
3. JE (CHiPS) *
4. AB (kalapati) *
5. JJ (may kalahating billiones) *
6. JM (siguro) *
7. KN (thin) *
8. CL (once) *
9. RL (wala akong maisip... naging mandirigma :D)

Transeferred to the NCAA:
1. JS (kuya ni maja)
2. AM (adviser)
3. KMK (da apo) *
4. EA (Alu) *
5. MP (silver ng yosi) *
6. MV (vic) *
7. LT (guwaping na mandirigma) *
8. MO (turning japs) *

Lost to non-UAAP/non-NCAA
1. DR (echo) *
2. HB (what the...) *
3. OC (wala akong maisip... kampi ni HB) *

Plain lost
1. FS (myMVP) *
2. AB (thrower) *
3. JP (pinapple) *

* Eligible this season

danny
08-05-2010, 03:32 AM
One word to describe Episode 3: BITIN!

There was so much more for us to discuss. Perhaps we can do a Part II of the Recruits and Recruitment topic after the regular varsity seasons.

Was the ethical and legal dimensions discussed?

lekiboy
09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
I just listened to EP3...Ang sexy pala ng boses ni Jojo on air..hahaha...magaling ding umilag sa tanong- abogado nga.

Bitin nga yung episode na to..Also, hats off to Joe for asking the more controversial questions eventhough he comes from one of the "involved" schools..

Mahina yata yung isang mike nyo at laging di marinig ( catdog and allan) just like when a_blooded was there.

Thanks for uploading!