PDA

View Full Version : Episode 2: The Great Philippine Basketball Rivalries (July 27, 2010; 9 - 10 pm)

gameface_one
07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Post your questions and viewpoints here.

Sam Miguel
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Is there a difference between rivalries at different levels of the game?

gameface_one
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Episode 2 about to start. Post your questions and comments now. You can also post on our facebook account.

Out_Of_The_Blue
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
If Ateneo, San Beda, and La Salle are all playing now in one league (whether UAAP or NCAA), which rivalry will be the top draw?

ivanjoe
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey, I'm a newbie here... Great topic today! :) Mind if I contribute something about rivalries in basketball?

Ateneo-La Salle rivalry started during the 1939-40 NCAA season during which the La Salle seniors team celebrated theirNCAA championship in basketball against their rival Ateneo. On the parade, they passed by Padre Faura (which was Ateneo's previous address before transferring to Katipunan), and they threw dressed chickens at the facade of their rival school to signify the loss of the Eagles. And from there, the rivalry began. I've read this from our university newsletter, the Lasallian. :)

john_paul_manahan
07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
are there any underrated rivalries that get buried due to the high-profile nature of Ateneo-La Salle, etc?

how about in the other leagues like the NAASCU, etc...

KingRedLion
07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
On the topic of Great Philippine Basketball Rivalries, the best there ever is the Crispa-Toyota Rivalry. Unmatched in terms of intensity, passion, desire to beat and beat bad each other physically and mentally. Epic esp during the All-Filipino matches! You can contend that they were being paid to play anyway, but you can really and actually see that they were playing for pride, honor and fame. It's still like playing for their respective schools. And that's what's been missing in the PBA. A lot of marketing has to do with it. Back then, it was pure unadulterated fun.

Others worth mentioning would be San Miguel/Magnolia-Purefoods, Ginebra/Añejo/Gordon's-Shell, Great Taste-Tanduay, Manila Beer-Tanduay.

Also, we can debate all we want but without the players produced by San Beda, there wouldn't be much to go and talk about in those "rivlaries" in the UAAP, NCAA and the PBA through the years. ;)

¡Ánimo SAN BEDA!

KingRedLion
07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
+1 coz sir bro MonL was part of the broadcast!

;D

¡Ánimo SAN BEDA!

nnahoj
07-28-2010, 02:24 AM
If Ateneo, San Beda, and La Salle are all playing now in one league (whether UAAP or NCAA), which rivalry will be the top draw?

still Ateneo-La Salle, since it transcends basketball.

if i may ask, did La Salle made a conscious decision to adopt the archer monicker (to shoot down the high flying eagles, so to speak) to provoke the Ateneans just like the chicken throwing incident back in 1939?

riou
08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Great topic!!

yellowgreen
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
they're called archers because of the terrific shooters during ncaa days. notable shooters like ritualo represent the archers and lim eng beng's unbeatable scoring record still tops the ncaa ranks ;)

danny
09-15-2010, 04:06 AM
they're called archers because of the terrific shooters during ncaa days. notable shooters like ritualo represent the archers and lim eng beng's unbeatable scoring record still tops the ncaa ranks ;)

The Archers during the old NCAA were really not that good. San Beda won the Zamora cup but Ateneo had the most number of trophies in the old days. Ergo there were more terrific shooters from the other teams. ;)

BedanRoar
09-15-2010, 07:49 AM

The Archers during the old NCAA were really not that good. San Beda won the Zamora cup but Ateneo had the most number of trophies in the old days. Ergo there were more terrific shooters from the other teams. ;)

La Salle's forte during those days was Football. They had the most championships when they left the League (Actually until now).

mangtsito
09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
What about individual rivalries?

There's the Allan Caidic vs. Pido Jarencio "shooting" rivalry, for one.

kerouac82
09-15-2010, 08:55 AM

They were being called "Archers" even before Lim Eng Beng played for them. Actually, even before Lim Eng Beng was born.

Jeep
09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
bedanroar, i think you are correct in saying that the then-DLSC was a football powerfhouse. according to my dad, he would tell me stories even way back that it was in the field that lasalle made its mark.

on the hardcourt, however, he said, there were undoubtedly two leaders, ateneo and san beda. :)

MonL
09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
bedanroar, i think you are correct in saying that the then-DLSC was a football powerfhouse. according to my dad, he would tell me stories even way back that it was in the field that lasalle made its mark.

on the hardcourt, however, he said, there were undoubtedly two leaders, ateneo and san beda. :)

One name from that era rings a bell still: Gringo's brother Bert Honasan.