PDA

View Full Version : PBA's Best & Worst TV Commentator

celtics
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Who do you think is the best & worst TV commentator? For me, some of the best Anchors are Mikko Halili, Richard Del Rosario, both also possessed good sense of humor, Alex Comptom, Jason Webb, Ronnie Magsanoc, & Quinito Henson are great in analyzing a game, they makes exciting games more exciting & makes supposedly boring games bearable to watch, especially the Dean Quinito Henson, dami pang pabaon na trivia, talagang ginagawa ang assignment. They makes you glued to the TV from opening jump ball down to the final buzzer.
Mga boring ones nman are Sev Sarmenta & Andy Jao, medyo corny mga binibitawang jokes and napapatulog ka minsan talaga habang nanonood. One PBA commentator that I really miss is smokin Joe Cantada, dapat kagaya nya kinukuha sa PBA, and Last I think the ff. Commentators deserves to be in the PBA: Boom Gonzales, Jimmy Javier, Jude Turcuato (Ka boom, after every 3 pointer made in the UAAP), I think Jino Rufino could also make a good TV anchor.
Let's face it, more fans watch PBA on TV rather than live on the stadium, so dapat lang na mga best available talent ang mga commentator na kinukuha. Peace!

patupup
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
may all time favorites are Joe Cantada, Joaqui Trillo (not sure if he covered the PBA, but I remember him covering the UAAP) and Jimmy Javier :)

Emon74
06-24-2010, 03:19 AM
may all time favorites are Joe Cantada, Joaqui Trillo (not sure if he covered the PBA, but I remember him covering the UAAP) and Jimmy Javier :)

Joe Cantada and Joaqui Trillo were the best tandem as far as covering the PBA games, the late Pinggoy Pengson too when he and Andy Jao were the other duo of Vintage enterprises commentators.

MonL
06-24-2010, 08:04 AM

Joe Cantada and Joaqui Trillo were the best tandem as far as covering the PBA games, the late Pinggoy Pengson too when he and Andy Jao were the other duo of Vintage enterprises commentators.

Joaqui Trillo was more often than not at the receiving end of Smokin' Joe's barbs..... :D

james_ty
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Who do you think is the best & worst TV commentator? For me, some of the best Anchors are Mikko Halili, Richard Del Rosario, both also possessed good sense of humor, Alex Comptom, Jason Webb, Ronnie Magsanoc, & Quinito Henson are great in analyzing a game, they makes exciting games more exciting & makes supposedly boring games bearable to watch, especially the Dean Quinito Henson, dami pang pabaon na trivia, talagang ginagawa ang assignment. They makes you glued to the TV from opening jump ball down to the final buzzer.
Mga boring ones nman are Sev Sarmenta & Andy Jao, medyo corny mga binibitawang jokes and napapatulog ka minsan talaga habang nanonood. One PBA commentator that I really miss is smokin Joe Cantada, dapat kagaya nya kinukuha sa PBA, and Last I think the ff. Commentators deserves to be in the PBA: Boom Gonzales, Jimmy Javier, Jude Turcuato (Ka boom, after every 3 pointer made in the UAAP), I think Jino Rufino could also make a good TV anchor.
Let's face it, more fans watch PBA on TV rather than live on the stadium, so dapat lang na mga best available talent ang mga commentator na kinukuha. Peace!

For me, Sev Sarmenta is the best commentator for now.

Boom Gonzales, puwede. Pero he's under contract with ABS-CBN to do the UAAP and other sports shows for Studio 23 and Balls.

Jimmy Javier did some PBA games for Solar last year.

Jude Turcuato is now working for Fox Channels Asia.

Mel
06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Our very own Mico Halili. LOL.

a_ron
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Sandy Geronimo Gromo......remember him?he is from cebu..1 year lang cya sa PBA.

Sam Miguel
07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
10. Topex Robinson

9. Noli Eala

8. That guy who once said "He wished upon a star and came up with a handful of galaxies!" when JB Yango, then with Purefoods, made a tricky undergoal shot with a bunch f Ginebra defenders on tp of him, died of a heart attack about two decades ago.

7. Alex Compton

6. Pinggoy Pengson

5. Leo Isaac

4. Norman Black

3. Joaqui Trillo

2. Butch Maniego

1. Joe Cantada

Sam Miguel
07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Was D-ick Ildefonso a PBA commentator? IF he was he ought to be in this discussion as well.

I'm not that into Sev Sarmenta, always struck me as trying to be too clever with his coverage, like Mico Halili and Jason Webb.

Mel
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Mico Halili and Jason Webb on Twitter lately criticizing the UAAP/NCAA for having "imports".

http://twitter.com/Jason_Webb_Phil/status/18403806404
http://twitter.com/micohalili/status/18338407894

tsk tsk.

Emon74
07-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Worst commentator for me now is none other than Andy Jao, for a long-time PBA personality who had seen the games in the past, how come siya pa nag criticize sa mga players who gave it their all, sa last few minutes of Alaska win over TNT ngayon, Topex Robinson went on to foul Jason Castro who was attempting to take a shot and Jao said, its totally unnecessary its a won game already, what's wrong with that, buti nga full of intensity pa si Topex in the ballgame, does Jao wants players na pa easy easy nlng palagi.

freak
11-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm still trying to figure out who is worse between Chino Trinidad and Quinito Henson. ???

Raging Blue
11-19-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm still trying to figure out who is worse between Chino Trinidad and Quinito Henson. ???

AFAIC, all of the above.

xxiocebu
11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Worst commentator for me now is none other than Andy Jao, for a long-time PBA personality who had seen the games in the past, how come siya pa nag criticize sa mga players who gave it their all, sa last few minutes of Alaska win over TNT ngayon, Topex Robinson went on to foul Jason Castro who was attempting to take a shot and Jao said, its totally unnecessary its a won game already, what's wrong with that, buti nga full of intensity pa si Topex in the ballgame, does Jao wants players na pa easy easy nlng palagi.

He always want the other team to only have a "WAM poyn lead".

xxiocebu
11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Mico Halili and Jason Webb on Twitter lately criticizing the UAAP/NCAA for having "imports".

http://twitter.com/Jason_Webb_Phil/status/18403806404
http://twitter.com/micohalili/status/18338407894

tsk tsk.

I actually get the feel that their Tweets are satirical.

freak
11-19-2010, 05:22 PM

AFAIC, all of the above.

I think I agree with you. Close second is Boom Gonzales.

james_ty
12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Solar Sports is looking for a TV network that is willing to take over coverage of the PBA games in the next two conferences of the on-going 2010-2011 season following a reported decision by Solar TV to totally reformat its programming on RPN 9.

The Inquirer learned that Solar TV is also planning to move its NBA and boxing shows out of Channel 9 but whether or not these shows will be offered to other networks is unclear at this time.

Sources said Solar Sports is looking for a third party to take over the coverage of the PBA’s games and provide the airtime for the telecast of the games on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays and out-of-town games on Saturdays.

Solar Sports executives headed by CEO Peter Chanliong are expected to hold discussions with ABS-CBN on Thursday followed by meetings with GMA 7 and ABC 5.

However, the Lopez network, which currently telecasts both the UAAP and NCAA games, is unlikely to enter into any agreement to assume the coverage for the remaining two PBA conferences unless Solar also turns over its optional rights at the end of the current franchise to ABS-CBN.

The Lopez network is unlikely to accept a takeover unless the PBA board of governors guarantees ABS-CBN a longer term contract which would make an investment in the pro league coverage viable and worthwhile.

Commissioner Chito Salud said “no formal notice has been received by the PBA office regarding this matter,” adding “that in any event the primary concern of the board is to make sure that the PBA games will continue to be aired for the rest of the contract of Solar.”

The franchise fee for the 2010-11 season amounts to P170 million. -- Ronnie Nathanielsz, Philippine Daily Inquirer, December 2/2010

Sam Miguel
12-03-2010, 08:50 AM
^^^ Does this mean we will no longer hear the in-depth analysis and insights of TV panel legends like Patricia Hizon, Richard Del Rosario and Jason Webb?

How sad...

bchoter
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
^ Sad indeed...

... pexman

james_ty
12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Solar will still retain its talents in the PBA even if the company switches stations. Remember, Solar still has a contract with the PBA until the end of this season and Solar is still in charge of production and the airtime.

freak
12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Solar will still retain its talents in the PBA even if the company switches stations. Remember, Solar still has a contract with the PBA until the end of this season and Solar is still in charge of production and the airtime.

manong & sam, don't be sad. their talents will be retained naman pala. our company here has just subscribed to the kapamilya channel which airs the PBA outside of the PH and i see that webb and del rosario haven't changed.

and we'll get to hear more from them. happy days :P

Jeep
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
on james ty's post re: solar's coverage - anyone care to confirm that solar is indeed no longer interested in covering the PBA after the current season is over? commercials no longer enough to cover the overhead? :(

and, to get back on topic, shouldn't emmie arcilla be mentioned here as well?

james_ty
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
on james ty's post re: solar's coverage - anyone care to confirm that solar is indeed no longer interested in covering the PBA after the current season is over? commercials no longer enough to cover the overhead? :(

Solar will no longer cover the games after the season ends in August this year. The PBA is planning to form its own in-house production outfit (similar to NBA TV in the US) and then buy airtime on another station.

oca
01-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Solar will no longer cover the games after the season ends in August this year. The PBA is planning to form its own in-house production outfit (similar to NBA TV in the US) and then buy airtime on another station.

Tiyak na ito ay isang desisyon na pinag-isipan ng mabuti. Maybe Solar even commissioned or did a study of how well the PBA as a product will be for the next few years.

Kung ang hawak mo ay may halaga, di mo yan bibitawan.

Halaga, ano pa ang meron ang PBA?

james_ty
01-20-2011, 11:23 AM

Tiyak na ito ay isang desisyon na pinag-isipan ng mabuti. Maybe Solar even commissioned or did a study of how well the PBA as a product will be for the next few years.

Kung ang hawak mo ay may halaga, di mo yan bibitawan.

Halaga, ano pa ang meron ang PBA?

The PBA board meeting on January 25 will answer your queries. BTW, I read in the Inquirer that GMA plans to join the PBA bidding and have the games aired on Q11, which is undergoing refomatting.