PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Football (Soccer) News

Schortsanitis
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Breaking News / Breaking News
http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view_article.php?article_id=274591

Football tourney eyeing to stir World Cup interest in RP

By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: June 08, 2010

MANILA, Philippines -- Two groups are looking to cash in on the popularity of the World Cup with events, which they hope would boost the stature of football that has been in the doldrums in the Philippines.

Organized by the Sunken Garden United Football Club, the “World Cup Filipinas” kicked off over the weekend at the CCP’s Bulwagan Ipil Ipil grounds in Pasay City.

The tournament features clubs such as the Sovereign Integridad and the University of the Philippines Sikad club.

“It’s a celebration of unity amidst diversity,” organizer TJ Besa said at the PSA Forum at the Shakey’s UN Avenue in Manila.

Philip Hagedorn of the United Football League also announced the league’s move to stage an expanded Primera Liga together with the Philippine Football Federation in October.

Hagedorn admitted having difficulty promoting the tournament, but said the month-long World Cup in South Africa kicking off Friday presents an opportunity for them to popularize the sport.

Hagedorn said they have been eyeing venues that would make their tournament more accessible to spectators.

The UFL season, which ended recently with Army coming out on top, was mostly held at the Nomads field in Parañaque.

PFF representative Ernie Nierras said the UFL would be part of the PFF’s Primera Liga, which would also feature regional champions from Luzon, Mindanao and the Visayas.

©Copyright 2001-2010 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company

Schortsanitis
06-20-2010, 11:51 PM
http://sports.inquirer.net/amateur/amateur/view/20100620-276525/RP-booters-take-UFL-All-Star-game

RP booters take UFL All-Star game

By Cedelf P. Tupas

THE PHILIPPINE ALL-STARS HACKED OUT a thrilling 4-3 victory over their foreign counterparts Friday night in the United Football League All-Star game at the Nomads pitch in Parañaque City.

Ranged against the finest foreign talents in the fledgling league, the Filipinos didn’t flinch, getting a goal each from Ian Araneta, Emelio Caligdong, Roel Gener and Martin Doctora to rule the showcase event.

Doctora struck in the seventh minute as the Filipinos, with Aly Borromeo pulling the strings at midfield, established a pattern of dominance early on.

Sudanese striker Izzeldin El-Habbib stole a backpass and slotted home the equalizer in the 14th minute but goals from Gener and Araneta restored order for the Filipinos.

lekiboy
06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
great initiative, Schort!
sana humaba usapan at mayroong pag-usapan...

what's the league wherein we have teams from the AFP and the top football school? s...i think the tournament just finished recently..

Schortsanitis
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
great initiative, Schort!
sana humaba usapan at mayroong pag-usapan...

what's the league wherein we have teams from the AFP and the top football school? s...i think the tournament just finished recently..

I think it's the United Football League (UFL), and the tournament was the UFL-LBC Cup. Here are the official links to the league, and to the tournament:
- http://footballalliance.ph/league/
- http://footballalliance.ph/cup/

I also found out that the UFL-LBC Cup has a FB page, and surprise, surprise, it has more than 2,000 members already:
- http://www.facebook.com/pages/LBC-UNITED-FOOTBALL-LEAGUE/187194178202

Schortsanitis
06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
http://footballalliance.ph/news.php?nwID=94

Jun. 20, 2010

UFL All-Star Night Leave Fans Anticipating Second Season

by Josue Jamlang

The United Football League season has officially ended, with the All-Star match and awarding ceremony taking place on Friday, at Nomads Sports Club in Merville. Fans, players and officials who flocked to the venue, were treated to plenty of entertainment, starting with the highly anticipated match between the UFL’s best Filipino players against a “Rest of the World” selection. An awarding ceremony followed the tightly contested affair, with plenty of free food and drinks for everyone that attended.

Gatorade, Phiten, Outback Steakhouse and Arthaland were present at the event as well, showing their support and providing plenty of freebies and discounts for everyone to enjoy.

With national pride on the line, the Philippines v Rest of the World match proved to be more than just a light exhibition. Both sides, which were stacked with the very best of the UFL, showed a competitiveness that left fans brimming with excitement.

It would be the Philippines that would strike first, with Air Force Rider defender Martin Doctora finding the early breakthrough in the seventh minute. The Filipinos were looking lively early on, carving out the best chances in the opening third of the first half, but the international team would draw level through prolific Kaya Digiprint striker Izzeldin Elhabbib. The Philippines would stamp their authority going into half-time however, with goals from Air Force Rider star Ian Araneta and Army Phiten midfielder Roel Gener ensuring a 3-1 advantage going into the break.

Global Smartmatic’s Ivory Coast native Remi Alain-Sery would find the back of the net shortly after the restart, leaving the contest delicately poised at 3-2. 25 minutes later tough, Emelio “Chieffy” Caligdong popped up to reestablish the Philippines’ two-goal advantage, making victory almost certain. Elhabbib would go on to score a second two minutes before time however to make for a nervous finish, but it was a case of too little too late, with the Filipinos winning 4-3.

The Awarding ceremony followed swiftly after the spectacular match, with the winners of the All-Star game being recognized first. For overcoming the international side, the players of the Philippine selection garnered plenty of respect from the UFL fans, as well as being entitled to a dinner party courtesy of Outback Steakhouse. Second Division champs Global Smartmatic, who will be plying their trade in the First Division next season, were handed their well-deserved medals and trophies, before individual awards were handed to Nomads Aloha Boardsports’ Jeff Blake (Best Goalkeeper), Sunken Garden’s Romuald Ngong (Top Goalscorer) and Global Smartmatic’s Jerry Barbaso (MVP). Time was also taken to honor Emil Balidio, who was awarded the league’s best referee, before moving on to the First Division winners.

Army Phiten’s Edward Sacapano (Best Goalkeeper), Kaya Digiprint’s Izzeldin Elhabbib (Top Goalsocerer), and Air Force Rider’s Ian Araneta (MVP) took to the stage to receive their respective trophies, before the First Division champions were called on stage for their grand celebrations.

Air Force Rider, who also won the LBC-UFL Cup back in December, completed a remarkable double by capturing the League title earlier this month, and were understandably ecstatic at their achievement. As they were handed their medals, the UFL trophy, and a check worth P60,000, the fans watched in appreciation as the remarkable side received their well deserved rewards for a spectacular season. As the pyrotechnics died and with it the jubilant celebrations, the DJ took over, with everyone enjoying the music, the World Cup viewing, and all the food and drinks.

It was a marvelous night for Philippine football, with all the supporters of the league enjoying a spectacular culmination to what was a very successful inaugural season. Although there are still three months before the LBC-UFL Cup kicks off next season, the excitement, drama and passion exuberated by the first campaign has the football community already brimming with anticipation.

Schortsanitis
06-22-2010, 01:56 PM
http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20100621-276807/Philippines-wins-first-World-Cup-Pilipinas

Philippines wins first World Cup Pilipinas

First Posted 14:09:00 06/21/2010

MANILA, Philippines—Team Philippines, composed of members of the Philippine Army, won the first Castrol World Cup Pilipinas tournament with six wins and zero losses.

The other teams that made it to the semi-finals were Ivory Coast, followed by Portugal and Sweden.

The four-weekend tournament at the CCP Liwasang Ipil-Ipil was organized by the Sunken Garden United Football Club, a University of the Philippines-Diliman-based team composed of UP alumni and players from diverse backgrounds (professionals, laborers, Christians, Muslims, youth, some foreigners, men, women, and even a priest)..

The tournament, which ended Sunday, also featured a one-day 7-a-side Century Tuna Cup Pilipinas won by Sudan.

One of the few football events in basketball-crazed Philippines, the competition sought to drum up interest for the “beautiful game.”

“Basketball is killing football,” Sunken Garden’s TJ Besa said, noting that football is best suited for Filipinos as it does not require much height, only skill.

He said that WCP was held almost simultaneously with the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa is helping make the sport popular.

“That certainly helped jump-start (the interest),” he said, expressing hope that the interest will continue way after the World Cup ends.

Besa said his group is working to sustain the interest in the game, “perhaps with a Second World Cup Pilipinas next year.”

“The momentum is there. We hope that it won’t disappear once the fanfare for the game subsides,” he said.

Sponsors that made the tournament possible were Castrol, Philippine Army, Philippine Army 525th Engineering Brigade, SM Shoemart, Philippine Daily Inquirer, BusinessWorld, Century Tuna, The Manila Times, Sunken Garden United Football Club, Cultural Center of the Philippines, Philippine Football Federation, JAM 88.3 FM, Wave 89.1 FM, Magic 89.9 FM, 99.5 RT FM, Max 103.5 FM, Pasay City Mayor’s Office, Milo 3-in-1, Nestle Fruit Selection, Mizuno, McDonald’s, Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines.

Sudan, which won the 7-a-side Century Tuna Cup Pilipinas, won a trophy and P17,000 in cash and goods. Philippines, which won the regular 11-a-side Castrol World Cup Pilipinas, won a trophy and P25,000 also in cash and goods.

Awarding started at around 7 p.m., when it started to rain, prompting the players and organizers to dance in the rain.

Veronica Uy

© Copyright 1997-2010 INQUIRER.net

Schortsanitis
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
There's a group that teaches Football to streetkids called, "Futkal", for "Futbol sa kalye". I think it's a noble cause. For the Philippines to excel in Football internationally, it has to be embraced by the masses, because we need that large talent pool to choose our best players from.

Here is the link to their website for more details:
- http://www.futkal.org/

maroonmartian
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Do we have a World Cup thread here? Oh wag na lang haha. I just hope in 2018, we will be singing the "Lupang Hinirang" in front of a big crowd. Please Philippines, let's be infected with the "Football Fever". US nga eh football crazy na. Oh Slovenia is making their life difficult.

As for Philippine football? Well, please wag na kayo kumuha sa England. Sa Germany, or any African nations na lang. England err. Brazil din pwede ala Kaka malamang marami fan niyan dito.

abcdef
06-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Ang tanong eh kung willing ba naman mag bayad ang mga Pilipinas sa mga quality player from those football countries to at least stir their interest to play here.

Schortsanitis
06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
http://philippinenews.com/article.php?id=8448

RP is a kick away in a football-crazy world

Published: June 21, 2010 | Author: Jonathan Perez

In much of the Philippines, football is identified more with private schools, while basketball rules the Filipino sports universe, with the occasional interruption for a Manny Pacquiao fight. That's probably the reason the typical kanto baller thinks football is for rich kids.

That's not how the rest of the world thinks, according to former Philippine national team coach Hans Smit, an Indonesian citizen with roots in Holland, a world football power. This month many of the world's best players have converged in South Africa for the World Cup. More than a few used their football skills to escape poverty in their homelands. Smit said the tag of football as an "elite sport" is a misconception and Filipinos should stop calling it that since he believes this is one game where impoverished athletes of small physical stature can still excel. "Football is not for the elite or the rich.

Pele, the greatest football player in the world, started in the streets before moving into more organized football schools," said Smit, who is currently the head coach of the La Salle women's football team. Pele went on to win three World Cup titles while playing for Brazil. While exclusive schools have among the best football programs and coaching, some efforts to encourage the sport among the poor have yielded surprising results.

A Philippine youth team composed of former street kids early this year won the Shield Trophy in the Deloitte Street Child World Cup indoor football tournament in Durban, South Africa early this year. The Philippine team, underdogs in the tournament, even stunned football powerhouse and No. 2 ranked Brazil, 6-2. Football advocates are trying other ways to spread football from elite fields to public spaces. World Cup Pilipinas is a weekly league played at the CCP grounds organized by Sunken Garden United, a football club composed of UP alumni.

TJ Besa, one of the organizers of World Cup Pilipinas, said that a tricycle driver is playing for one of the teams in the league. "He (tricycle driver) just came and asked if he can play with us. Our doors are open to anyone. Even to people who do not know how to play football. Football is a Filipino sport. It is a big sport and it needs believers for it to grow. We just need to work together." While our basketball-crazy nation religiously follows the NBA finals this month, a minority of sports fans will be staying up late to watch the World Cup matches live on local television.

South Africa has a seven-hour time differential in Manila. Smit said football would be a much bigger sport in the Philippines if youth programs were sustained and national football officials set aside the politics that has plagued the sport since he started coaching in 1979. "If you ask me, there's no (football) program," Smit said.

"They should have continued the youth teams that I handled before. It’s hard to get it off the ground here. How to do it properly without politics and anything else, just pure football development. Everybody has plans, people start off with something but it always changes."

Smit has coached the men's, women's, boys' and girls' Philippine national football teams, including a Futsal squad. "It's going to be difficult. Our football leaders need to have political will and continue with various programs for development. We need to act now. Hopefully, we can see changes with Noynoy (Aquino) winning."

The problems that have held back football's development in the Philippines have not stopped younger advocates from organizing new efforts. Philip Hagedorn of the Football Alliance-organized LBC-United Football League said there are many established clubs in the Visayas and Mindanao, one reason why he believes that there is room for football to grow along with basketball. "Football is growing especially at the youth level, and being a World Cup year we hope that every game sparks interest," Hagedorn said. – HS, GMANews.TV

Kid Cubao
06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
all this time, hans smit is actually indonesian?!? can anybody confirm this?

maroonmartian
06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
all this time, hans smit is actually indonesian?!? can anybody confirm this?

Indonesian? Pero he is too tall and he talks in straight Filipino.Pinoy na pinoy na. ;D At grabeng magmura. God D@mn it, the P word etc.

The World Cup will finish its group stages. Surprise surprise :) Who are you rooting? Might watch the Finals after the UAAP opening weekend.

Schortsanitis
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Soccer Mania Mall Tour 2010 @ Ayala Malls Start

Time: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 10:00am
End Time: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 8:00pm

Description
Soccer Mania Mall Tour 2010 is a fun and interactive soccer-themed event series that will be happening in Trinoma on June 29 to 30, in Market Market on July 2-4 and at the Alabang Town Center on July 25-26. If you've always wanted to play soccer, now's your chance! And best of all, you can play it in a mall! Visit us and experience the fun and the thrill of today's most talked about sport.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs178.ash2/41816_129646360402760_8471_n.jpg

Here is the invite at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=129646360402760

Schortsanitis
07-02-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-dear-kris

Villaflor: Dear Kris

By Noel S. Villaflor [1]

FIRST of all, I would like to congratulate you for becoming the de facto First Lady effective yesterday. I am sure someone must be blue with envy right now, and I don’t mean your brother’s fiancée.

Anyway, you’re probably wondering what’s gotten into the head of an obscure community sports columnist that he’s writing to an ultra-famous personality like you. Shouldn’t he be writing instead about more pressing matters like the World Cup?

First, let me confess: some people think I have a severe dislike towards Kris the spoiled showbiz personality whose vuvuzelic voice drives half the population nuts. Perhaps there’s some truth to that.

But deep inside, I have to grudgingly admit how I admire Kris the thinker. In fact, at the height of your brother’s campaign, I tried to persuade my officemates that you’d make a way better president.

I have even gone as far as readying a campaign slogan when your turn comes. His was Noy-P, short for Noynoy for President, but yours sounds crunchier: Kris for President, or Kris-P. Six years from now I can hear a hysterical crowd of millions scream: Kris-P! Kris-P! Kris-P!

Before you find this letter as nothing more than servile flattery, let me get to the point: I am writing to seek your help in fixing Philippine football. You heard that right.

I know it sounds rather a bit of a stretch, since you’re probably wondering if there is such a thing as Philippine football in the first place. Well, yes, Kris, there is such a thing and it severely needs your help.

Again, Kris, you may ask: Why Kris? What has Kris got to do with this nonsense?

A lot, dear First Lady. More than you can imagine. But how?

Let’s get to the facts.

Being the President’s sister, he listens to you, even to a fault, right? You and the President want to bring real change, right? And among the President’s thrusts is to stamp out corruption, right? Of course, both of you are serious, right?

So if I tell you, Kris, that the state of Philippine football mirrors that of Philippine society, you’d agree, right? Well, maybe not because you’re probably clueless about the shenanigans that transpire within football’s governing body in the country. Most people are, anyway.

You see, Kris, the Philippine Football Federation—that’s what it’s called—receives millions of aid from Fifa, international soccer’s umbrella organization. In 2007 it received $400,000, plus a yearly pledge of $250,000. That means the PFF should have received $1.4 million by now, or a cool P70,000,000.

All that money, Kris, should have made a lot of difference. Ah, but how come you haven’t heard of it?

Now that I have your attention, you must also be wondering where all that money went? For now I will spare you the details, but in a nutshell, the PFF is allegedly in a serious financial mess and it’s becoming a national embarrassment.

Now, Kris, you couldn’t care less about football, but think about all the Pinoy football players who would have benefitted from money well spent.

I’m specifically addressing this letter to you and not the President because you have a personal understanding of how an athlete feels when deprived. You should know, since you were married to one.

So, Kris, why not ask your brother to look not just into the PFF but the other national sports organizations as well to find out why we suck at international competitions that matter? Of course, the money that the PFF has, or had, in its hands is unheard of, so shouldn’t that be a priority?

How I’d relish a meeting between the President of the Republic of the Philippines and the PFF president. Someone’s got some explaining to do.

Honestly, Kris, I see this letter will probably go nowhere, but who knows? In your language, it’s called “suntok sa buwan.”

So, if anyone can fix Philippine football, it has got to be you Kris. And it’s that urgent. We need your help. Now na.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com [3])

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 1, 2010.
Cebu Noel S. Villaflor Sports

Source URL: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-dear-kris

Links:
[1] http://www.sunstar.com.ph/category/author/noel-s-villaflor
[2] http://specials.sunstar.com.ph/election2010/
[3] mailto:nsvillaflor@gmail.com

Schortsanitis
07-03-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.pinoysport.com/4-fil-british-players-join-football-team/comment-page-1/

4 Fil-British players join football team

April 29th, 2008

Philippine football hopes to turn its fortunes around as four Fil-British players, including comebacking Phil Younghusband, spearhead the campaign of the RP team in the 2nd Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup on May 13-20 in Barotac and Iloilo City.

Head coach Norman Fegidero said yesterday that he hoped the reinforcements can provide a stronger challenge to traditional football powers in the region such as Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia.

Joining Younghusband are Chad Gould, Chris Greatwich and Neil Etheridge. Gould had previously played for the RP team while the other two new recruits.

“May malaking maitutulong sila sa team. Right now, meron pa rin kaming tryouts. In two weeks time baka buo na ang team,” said Fegidero, who is best remembered for scoring the country’s lone goal in a stunning upset over heavily favored Malaysian squad during the 1991 SEA Games in Manila.

Fegidero has already set up a training camp in Barotac and Iloilo City which are considered a rich source of football talent.

Gould and Younghusband, who played for the Philippine team during 2005 SEA Games, arrived in the country last Friday while Greatwich is expected to plane in on May 6. Etheridge will arrive a day after.

Gould is a 6-foot-1 striker and is playing for the Wimbledon FC, while Younghusband is a reserve player for Chelsea, one of the biggest football clubs in England. Greatwich played for Brighton & Hove Albion first team.

Etheridge, meanwhile, is a highly-rated 19-year-old reserve goalkeeper of Fulham Academy FC, which plays in the English Premier League.

Etheridge, who also played for the under-16 squad of England, said he declined the invitation of the Philippine Football Federation last year since he didn’t know about the members of the team and can’t speak the Filipino language.

“This season, they have asked me again, the team has a new manager and a new president (Jose Mari Martinez) who invited me over and this time I know some of the players,” the 6-foot-3 Etheridge said.

“One of the players is from Chelsea (Younghusband) who I know well and he convinced me to go and told me that I would enjoy the experience,” Etheridge said. “It will be a completely different style of football to what I am used to playing for Fulham’s Academy due to the heat and I don’t think it will be as fast.”

The national team is actually expecting another reinforcement in Fil-Scotish midfielder James Hall who plays for Everton FC. He has already confirmed his intention to join the team but has yet to arrive.

The Philippines is bracketed in Group B of the four groups in the qualifying meet where defending champion Tajikistan, Bhutan and Brunei Darusalem are also included. Chinese Taipei, Kyrgystan and Nepal host the three other groups — A, C and D.

In all, a total of 16 teams will be competing in the qualifying round where the No. 1 team in each group will join South Korea, Turkministan, India and Myanmar in the eight-team finals slated July 30 to August 10 in India.

danny
07-03-2010, 02:43 PM
http://philippinenews.com/article.php?id=8448

RP is a kick away in a football-crazy world

Published: June 21, 2010 | Author: Jonathan Perez

In much of the Philippines, football is identified more with private schools, while basketball rules the Filipino sports universe, with the occasional interruption for a Manny Pacquiao fight. That's probably the reason the typical kanto baller thinks football is for rich kids.

Football is the true universal game of the toiling masses. It is the People's game.

Ang hirap kasi sa ilang Pinoy, ginagawang status symbol kapag hindi uso sa masa. Hindi nila man lang nalamang pang-kanto ang larong ito. :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DXRCEMFPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At the beginning of the 20th century, soccer was widely accepted as the most popular sport in the western world. Starting in Britain in the 19th century but with roots going back to the late Middle Ages, it quickly spread from there to the rest of the world. Yet here was a game with strong traditional folk-roots; a game originally intended for urban working men. This text tells the story of the remarkable rise of a remarkable game—and the way it became the game of the masses across the globe.

Schortsanitis
07-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Here is the first of a series of videos on Youtube showing the UFL All-Star Game held last June 18, 2010. The rest of the videos can be accessed on the right side of the Youtube page:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnHbC_FZ2w4&feature=channel

Schortsanitis
07-05-2010, 08:03 AM
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/regions/view_article.php?article_id=279131

Iloilo town big fan of football, World Cup

By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.
Inquirer Visayas

Posted date: July 04, 2010

ILOILO CITY, Iloilo, Philippines – Many residents of Barotac town in Iloilo, 30 kilometers northeast of here, have been getting little sleep lately.

On many late nights for the past few weeks, residents have been huddling at homes in front of television sets with generous amounts of beer and appetizers while watching the World Cup 2010 matches in South Africa.

While most of the country has paid little attention to the World Cup, Barotacnons have joined nearly a billion fans worldwide in following the quadrennial tournament.

Since the World Cup opened on June 11, football players and enthusiasts have been gathering in homes with cable television connections to watch the games shown live locally at 10 p.m. and 2:30 a.m.

“We all stay late at night especially for the exciting and much awaited games,” said engineer Duffie Botavara, general secretary of the Iloilo Football Association and president of the Barotac Nuevo Football Club.

Botavara said only around 30 homes in the town had cable subscriptions that have been showing live coverage and many other residents have had to wait two hours after for the delayed telecasts. The 90-minute games could sometimes extend if plays were extended.

“Many times, around 20 of us are huddled in a cramped living room. But we don't mind because the excitement is there as if we are also part of the crowds at the stadiums in South Africa,” he said.

In a basketball-crazed country, Barotac Nuevo, with a population of around 46,000, has been dubbed the “football capital of the Philippines” for producing batches upon batches of the country's top football players.

The town is the source of many of the members of the national team, collegiate players of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) and other top teams in Manila.

Most residents are football fans and know the rules of the game with young players less excited about basketball stars like Kobe Bryant of the world champion Los Angeles Lakers or Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics compared to current football superstars Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal and Lionel Messi of Argentina.

Football has been a passion for residents since the sport was first introduced to the town in the 1920s by the Monfort brothers.

The brothers embraced the sport while studying at the Colegio de San Agustin (now University of San Agustin) in Iloilo City where it was played by the friars.

Although introduced by young men from a prominent family, football ultimately became the town’s passion regardless of social status.

The town hosts the P10-million National Football Training Center at Barangay Tabucan put up by the Federation Internationale de Football (Fifa) and the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) in 2003.

The three-hectare football center, the only one in the country, has a dormitory that can accommodate 30 persons for trainings and lectures. The center also hosts courses for coaches and officials.

Botavara said more residents were expected to stay up and watch the games as the tournament entered the semi-final and championship rounds this week.

“We selected only the exciting games during the elimination rounds but with the matches getting closer and more exciting, we expect to watch each game, never mind if we will have little sleep,” he said.

The football enthusiasts are hopeful that this year’s improving performance of Asian teams, including Japan, North Korea, and South Korea will spur more interest in the sport.

Botavara stressed that football would be one sport that Filipinos could perform well internationally because having tall players would not be essential, unlike in basketball.

He cited the 23-year-old Messi of Argentina, standing just around 5'7'', considered among the world's top football players.

“We have the talent and we can do well and even better than Asian teams if we have the support and exposure,” Botavara said.

While there have been various youth football programs in the past, Botavara said there has been a lack of sustained and comprehensive training to create a wide pool of players.

He cited the strong performance of the German team in this year's World Cup, which has been credited to Germany's comprehensive youth training program. Germany, composed mostly of players in their early 20's, ousted football giant Brazil in Saturday's match.

Botavara said they planned to put up a giant screen at the town plaza for the July 12 final game set at 2:30 a.m. to allow residents to see the match.

He said the growing interest in the sport in the country has been encouraging. He expressed hope that with more people watching the games, football would become a national passion, too.

Schortsanitis
07-09-2010, 06:47 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=591513&publicationSubCategoryId=84

Finally, football

UNWRITTEN By Maria Jorica B. Pamintuan (The Philippine Star) Updated July 09, 2010 12:00 AM

The past few weeks, social networking sites have been swamped with messages and posts about sports.

I wasn’t surprised by the multitude of NBA-related posts — Filipinos have always been basketball fans. But when the NBA ended, a new sports fever seemed to grip the nation: football.

If, for some reason, you haven’t been able to tune into the news, read the newspaper, check your Facebook or Twitter, or notice the tarps, posters and products around many parts of the metro, the FIFA World Cup has suddenly become a very popular event in the Philippines. Now, with only days until the World Cup ends, the fever is reaching boiling point.

True, there are still many Filipinos who, like me, don’t know the difference among football, rugby, futsal, and soccer — people whose knowledge about the game is basically that it features buff men running around in short shorts or tights.

However, there is growing football following in the country. There are lots of real fans who not only have a passion for the sport, but are also dedicated to spreading the word.

Roehl Niño “Ronin” Bautista and Cherry Sun are two of those fans. Both have been football nuts for years, and have been on both sides of the fence, as players and spectators. From the beginning of World Cup season, they have been staying up (or waking up!) at ungodly hours to watch the matches live.

Cherry loves the rush and the sense of accomplishment that football gives. Ronin likes the difficulty, the challenge of playing the sport. They have different reasons for playing and watching, but their thoughts on football in the Philippines are as synchronized as the pro team maneuvers on the field.

“Kahit mas malaki ang chance nating magtagumpay sa football, sa basketball pa rin nakatututok ang Pilipinas (Even if we have a better chance of winning at football, the Philippines is still focused on basketball),” said Ronin, adding, “It’s a popular sport, but not as popular as basketball.”

He said that the main problem for football in the country is the lack of support from the government. There aren’t many venues for playing the game, and media coverage of matches is peanuts compared to the full-blown coverage of the UAAP and PBA.

Cherry echoed his sentiments when she said, “Sadly, I think we don’t have enough football fields and grounds. This is something our government can work on to further promote the sport.”

She did admit that football is gaining popular ground in Luzon, and that the sport is very popular in Visayas and Mindanao.

There’s even a Pilipinas World Cup for football enthusiasts in the country.

The truth is football seems to be a sport Filipinos can really excel at. As Ronin said, “Height rarely matters, control is important, and you can’t hog the ball if you want to score a goal.” Well, here’s a sport where the Pinoy’s small stature isn’t an issue! Control can be learned and practiced, and Filipinos are naturally giving anyway, right?

Hello, we have a champion rugby team, the Philippine Volcanoes! If that isn’t proof of how far Pinoys can go in football, nothing is.

It’s worth giving serious football training a shot. There should be greater support from both the government and academic institutions. Instead of focusing so much on basketball, our leaders should promote and develop avenues for training in a sport where height (or the lack of it) matters.

“I think we have a good number of football clubs and teams and it’s also good that schools are integrating football in their physical education curriculum, aside from their varsity programs,” said Cherry.

Ronin also said football is big in some schools — those that have the facilities for it.

“Hindi kasi ganoon karami ang mga venues para maglaro ng football, di tulad ng basketball na kada SK ng isang lugar eh basketball court ang project (There aren’t a lot of venues to play football, unlike basketball, which can be played anywhere because local youth councils erect basketball courts as their projects),” he said.

Aside from campus athletics, football can also be made part of rehab programs for juvenile delinquents. Dancing seems to be working for the Cebu inmates; imagine what wonders sports can do for kids. Not only would preoccupation with sports keep them out of trouble, it would also give them the skills they can use to turn their lives around.

They’d be really good at it, too. After all, they have the instincts for it already. These are the kids who can run off with your jewelry and then dodge pedestrians and other obstacles on the road. Formal football training can only hone the natural reflexes they have.

Most of the kids in juvy deserve a second chance. Sports can help them become better people, and isn’t that the point of rehabilitation?

Who knows, maybe the kids in a sports rehab program will be the players of a winning FIFA World Cup team. Hey, any kid who can get into the game early might be the Philippines’ version of Pelé — but we won’t have that chance until the government and institutions make football a sports priority.

“Our FIFA ranking is low. But we have to take into consideration the kind of support our representatives get, also the kind of training they go under. If we want to be world class, our training has to be world class,” said Ronin.

“At present, the Philippines ranks 169th among 202 football playing countries. I’d like to think we can be part of (competitions like FIFA), but not in the near future,” Cherry said, adding, “I believe the Filipinos have a natural gift to play the sport anyway. I mean, we don’t have the best facilities yet teams have been playing the sport well.”

Maybe someday, Ronin and Cherry will be cheering on a FIFA World Cup team wearing blue, red, yellow and white jerseys.

The Philippines has become internationally renowned for boxers, bowlers, and billiard players. I bet a lot of people are still hoping basketball will be the next “B” sport to join that list. I wouldn’t count on it, though.

And since Rep. Manny Pacquiao will be kept busy by his congressional duties, the country will need a new champion to cheer for. A brilliant football team may be just the answer. But first, we have to start small — and learning the difference between rugby and football may be the perfect place to begin.

Schortsanitis
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/gma/20100710/tsp-video-story-tondo-padyak-boy-dreams-0e3ffe0.html

VIDEO STORY: Tondo padyak boy dreams of football

In the Philippines, football is more often played by privileged athletes from elite schools. But the world's most popular sport is also gaining ground in some of Manila's poorer communities, partly thanks to a few football enthusiasts who are introducing the sport to underprivileged kids.

Twelve-year-old Chrisval de Castro from Tondo, Manila dreams of being a professional football player one day. He belongs to a local football club called Futkal, a non-profit organization that uses "street soccer" to educate and develop disadvantaged youth. Also responsible for popularizing football in Tondo are the Salesian priests of the Don Bosco Youth Center, who have been teaching the sport to local boys since the 1970s.

Groups like Futkal and Don Bosco believe that teaching football to young boys like Chrisval will give them the chance to stand out in a country where basketball-heads are a dime a dozen. If he masters the sport, Chrisval may some day win a football scholarship from a good high school and then university. His ultimate dream is to one day play for the Philippine national team.

But more importantly, playing football is teaching Chrisval discipline, dedication, and how to turn weaknesses into strengths.

"Hindi puwedeng puro paa ka lang," the boy says, sounding wise beyond his 12 years. "Dapat may utak ka rin. Para kahit saan ka mapunta, may magagawa ka."

With that attitude, the boy might just have the world at his feet.

By the way, here is the video:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLWYogfSMhc

Schortsanitis
07-13-2010, 08:01 AM
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20100711-280353/Paulino-Alcantara-RP-legend-in-world-football

Paulino Alcantara: RP legend in world football

By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.

Posted date: July 11, 2010

ILOILO CITY—As the World Cup fever nears its climax in South Africa, basketball-crazy Filipinos should know that they have a hero to inspire them to switch to football as a national passion.

And it’s not the great Pelé of Brazil, Argentinian legend Diego Maradona or the current world top player Lionel Messi, also of Argentina, or heartthrob Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal.

Long before these heroes burst into the global football scene, there was Iloilo-born Paulino Alcantara.

Alcantara, born to a Spanish military officer and an Ilongga mother on Oct. 7, 1896, is considered to be one of the sport’s legends, especially in Spain.

While he is largely unknown to Filipinos and even Ilonggos, he is revered in the world football community with tributes and memorial sites devoted to him in the Internet.

‘‘He may be unknown even to the young players, but he is an icon to many of us,” said Pablito Araneta, also from Iloilo and former vice president of the Philippine Football Federation (PFF), which groups around 35 football associations in the country.

Alcantara scored an astonishing 357 goals in as many games played, or an average of one goal per game, as a striker of the Futbol Club Barcelona (Barcelona Football Club) where he played from 1912 to 1927, according to the club’s website.

Barcelona star

He also helped Barcelona, one of the top clubs in the current Spanish league, win five Spanish championships and 10 Catalan League championships, the first professional football league in Spain during that period.

His strength was legendary. Medium built and lacking the physique of a professional athlete, he, nevertheless, earned the title “El Romperedes (Net Breaker)” on April 30, 1922, after a powerful kick 35 yards from the goal ripped the net in a game between Spain and France.

‘‘For many years after, children from Barcelona would recall that moment and would wish to do the same as the man from the Philippines,” according to Alcantara’s profile in the FC Barcelona website.

Except for online accounts, however, there is little information on Alcantara and his family.

Araneta said a research conducted by PFF in 2007 during the commemoration of the centennial of Philippine football showed that Alcantara’s father was a Spanish military officer stationed in Iloilo. Other accounts identified his mother as surnamed Riestrá.

No official records

Ilonggo historian and lawyer Rex Salvilla said he has not come across official records of Alcantara and his family, which could explain why he is not well known among Ilonggos.

Salvilla noted that Alcantara was only 2 years old during the Philippine Revolution in 1898. His father, being a Spanish official, could have gone home and brought his family to avoid imprisonment or could have surrendered before taking his family with him to Spain, Salvilla said.

But according to various accounts posted in the website www.world-football-legends.co.uk/alcantara/php, Alcantara came to Spain when he was 14 years old, a year before he debuted with FC Barcelona. He returned to the Philippines in 1916, or when he was 20 years old, and played for two years with the Bohemians, a Filipino football club.

He returned to Spain and resumed playing with his club in 1918 where he rose to become a legend.

On the other hand, in it’s Philippine football centennial issue, the Pinoy Football Magazine, published by the PFF, said Alcantara became the youngest player to wear the FC Barcelona jersey when he started playing for the club when he was 15.

Missing the Olympics

But more than becoming a football star, Alcantara was dedicated to becoming a doctor and did not play in the 1920 Olympic Games to study medicine.

He retired from football in 1927 to dedicate his time to medicine but he briefly coached the Spanish national team in 1951, which was unbeaten in the three matches that he steered the team.

Alcantara died in Barcelona on Feb. 13, 1964, at the age of 67, according to the FC Barcelona website.

It was also during Alcantara’s peak that the Philippines became an Asian football powerhouse with the country bagging the gold in the 1913 Far Eastern Games, the forerunner of the Asian Games.

Routing Japan

While Alcantara missed the 1913 games, he played four years later as part of the national team that routed Japan 15-2 in their match in Tokyo.

Japan was among the Asian teams that qualified in the round of 18 in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

‘‘That rout of Japan was the highest that the Philippines had advanced in international football,” Araneta said.

World’s No. 169

The international football federation Fifa currently ranks the Philippines 169th out of 207 member-countries in men’s football.

Despite the Filipinos’ preference for basketball and boxing, football players and fans have increasingly drawn inspiration from Alcantara’s exploits to raise local awareness and passion for the sport.

A life-size statue of Alcantara was unveiled at the PFF office at the PhilSports Complex in Pasig during the football centennial commemoration in 2007, said PFF general secretary Chito Manuel.

In Alcantara’s home province of Iloilo where football is popular especially in Barotac Nuevo town, dubbed the ‘‘Football Capital of the Philippines,” players and fans can readily cite Alcantara as proof that Filipinos can do well and even be among the greatest in the international football arena.

“We don’t have to stop at watching the World Cup and cheering for our idols. A hundred years ago, an Ilonggo already showed us the way to greatness,” said Duffie Botavara, president of the Barotac Nuevo Footbal Club.

Schortsanitis
07-16-2010, 09:18 AM
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/sports/view/20100715-281250/CFA-bares-big-plans-for-grassroots-football

CFA bares big plans for grassroots football

Cebu Daily News
First Posted 10:48:00 07/15/2010
Filed Under: Football

THE Cebu Football Association (CFA) bared its plans of strengthening the grassroots development of football not only in the city but in the entire province as well.

CFA president Richard Montayre said they will be organizing four tournaments, the first of which is the ongoing Treadtel Cup 2010 to be followed by the Mizuno Cup on the second week of August, then the Aboitiz Cup on the last week of August and finally a big tournament next summer wherein teams come from each municipality of Cebu.

Aside from more tournaments, the CFA will also conduct coaches seminar ang training for football coaches in each municipality which they hope to launch by the end of this month in preparation for the summer tournament.

“We will help them put up their own teams,” Montayre said.

The plan is for each municipality to have its own inter-school tournament which will be the basis for the selection of thye members of the team.

According to Montayre, they are still in the process of identifying a place in the north and south to gather the coaches for the refresher course.

The project will be funded by the Department of Education of Central Visayas whose regional director, Recaredo Borgonia, is part of the CFA board.

Meanwhile, Montayre confirmed that the training program of the Cebu Elite Team will continue as soon as the CFA could raise funds.

He said that until now, they have not received any subsidy from the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) except for the P5,000 that was given earlier.

The Cebu Elite Team is a pilot project of the Vision Asia, a 10-year program of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and implemented by the CFA last January.

Despite the funding problems, Cebu Elite Teams U-14, U-12 and U-11 clinched the championships in their respective divisions of the Regional Festival of Football in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental held last March.

The program is aimed to select the best of the best for the boys U-8, U-10, U-12 and U-14; and girls U-12, U-16 and U-19 categories in Asia.

Schortsanitis
07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-moving-mysterious-ways

Villaflor: Moving in mysterious ways

Friday, July 16, 2010

By Noel S. Villaflor

IN case you were wondering, the Philippine National Men’s Football Team is alive.

The most recent news—a mindboggling one—is that the Azkals has moved up two places in the Fifa rankings, to 167th among 208 national football associations.

And I wonder: How in the world did that happen? How did the team manage to go up without playing any games in recent memory?

Well, perhaps they did and the Filipino football community had no clue. Either that or two other teams fared so badly Fifa had no choice but to bump the Azkals up two notches.

But I’m not complaining, some movement is better than no movement at all.

The team’s handlers have successfully kept the team’s activities under the radar.

Its last friendly match against a foreign team was in January yet, when it faced Chinese Taipei and a collegiate squad.

Then just last week, at the height of the World Cup, it held a training camp in Tacloban, Leyte, and played against a club from Barotac Nuevo, according to a report from Filipinofootball.blogspot.com.

The team is under a new coach, the mysterious Englishman Des Bulpin, who signed an initial one-year deal with the equally mysterious Philippine Football Federation in November 2009.

“Bulpin helped develop England international Peter Crouch during his spell at Queens Park Rangers,” according to a report on vitalfootball.co.uk. He also handled the Uzbekistan Under-17 team for a time.”

I have yet to confirm if Bulpin is still actually connected with the team, but at least we’re aware that the Azkals are indeed preparing for something.

That something is a tournament in Southeast Asia later this year, which Azkal striker Chad Edward Alesna Gould revealed to me online, after I asked him whether he’s still with the RP Men’s team.

“Yes, we’re still connected with the Philippine national team.

We’ll be out in October for the Asean Cup qualifiers,” said the 27-year-old footballer born to an English father and Cebuana mother from Boljoon.

Gould, with a killer header, is the team’s leading scorer with six goals in 13 international matches, including games against Southeast Asian powerhouses Malaysia and Cambodia.

He is concurrently—yes, Fifa allows this—a rookie member of the English national beach soccer team, which is seeing action in Italy for the Beach Soccer Fifa World Cup 2011 Qualifiers.

With Gould pledging to report for duty for the Philippine team, it seems he’ll be joining familiar faces and a couple of new ones this October.

It would be difficult to tell how the Azkals have matured as a team, given the few occasions they have played together over the last two years.

I remember in an interview with Gould last year how he wished the team could play at least 10 friendly matches annually to transform the team into a really cohesive unit.

Right now, that doesn’t seem to be the case, so the Azkals just have to make do with what time and resources are at their disposal.

As for us Azkal fans, we’ll just have to keep expectations to a minimum. My high school batchmate RDV, though, is now campaigning for an Azkal qualification to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil.

Of course, he knows very well what a tremendous long shot that is, but this is the kind of fervor and wishful thinking that the national team begs of its Filipino supporters.

And with the October Asan qualifiers drawing to a close, the team needs all the support it deserves.

The Azkals are a capable squad, so capable that our neighbors now take them seriously.

That makes the task even tougher. But that’s how it is, and there just aren’t any shortcuts to becoming a football powerhouse in the region.

And let’s face it, to really move up in the world’s football hierarchy, we can’t rely all the time on rankings whose movements are shrouded in mystery.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

kerouac82
07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-moving-mysterious-ways

Villaflor: Moving in mysterious ways

Friday, July 16, 2010

By Noel S. Villaflor

IN case you were wondering, the Philippine National Men’s Football Team is alive.

The most recent news—a mindboggling one—is that the Azkals has moved up two places in the Fifa rankings, to 167th among 208 national football associations.

And I wonder: How in the world did that happen? How did the team manage to go up without playing any games in recent memory?

Well, perhaps they did and the Filipino football community had no clue. Either that or two other teams fared so badly Fifa had no choice but to bump the Azkals up two notches.

But I’m not complaining, some movement is better than no movement at all.

The team’s handlers have successfully kept the team’s activities under the radar.

Its last friendly match against a foreign team was in January yet, when it faced Chinese Taipei and a collegiate squad.

Then just last week, at the height of the World Cup, it held a training camp in Tacloban, Leyte, and played against a club from Barotac Nuevo, according to a report from Filipinofootball.blogspot.com.

The team is under a new coach, the mysterious Englishman Des Bulpin, who signed an initial one-year deal with the equally mysterious Philippine Football Federation in November 2009.

“Bulpin helped develop England international Peter Crouch during his spell at Queens Park Rangers,” according to a report on vitalfootball.co.uk. He also handled the Uzbekistan Under-17 team for a time.”

I have yet to confirm if Bulpin is still actually connected with the team, but at least we’re aware that the Azkals are indeed preparing for something.

That something is a tournament in Southeast Asia later this year, which Azkal striker Chad Edward Alesna Gould revealed to me online, after I asked him whether he’s still with the RP Men’s team.

“Yes, we’re still connected with the Philippine national team.

We’ll be out in October for the Asean Cup qualifiers,” said the 27-year-old footballer born to an English father and Cebuana mother from Boljoon.

Gould, with a killer header, is the team’s leading scorer with six goals in 13 international matches, including games against Southeast Asian powerhouses Malaysia and Cambodia.

He is concurrently—yes, Fifa allows this—a rookie member of the English national beach soccer team, which is seeing action in Italy for the Beach Soccer Fifa World Cup 2011 Qualifiers.

With Gould pledging to report for duty for the Philippine team, it seems he’ll be joining familiar faces and a couple of new ones this October.

It would be difficult to tell how the Azkals have matured as a team, given the few occasions they have played together over the last two years.

I remember in an interview with Gould last year how he wished the team could play at least 10 friendly matches annually to transform the team into a really cohesive unit.

Right now, that doesn’t seem to be the case, so the Azkals just have to make do with what time and resources are at their disposal.

As for us Azkal fans, we’ll just have to keep expectations to a minimum. My high school batchmate RDV, though, is now campaigning for an Azkal qualification to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil.

Of course, he knows very well what a tremendous long shot that is, but this is the kind of fervor and wishful thinking that the national team begs of its Filipino supporters.

And with the October Asan qualifiers drawing to a close, the team needs all the support it deserves.

The Azkals are a capable squad, so capable that our neighbors now take them seriously.

That makes the task even tougher. But that’s how it is, and there just aren’t any shortcuts to becoming a football powerhouse in the region.

And let’s face it, to really move up in the world’s football hierarchy, we can’t rely all the time on rankings whose movements are shrouded in mystery.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

I read somewhere that Bulpin is now with the Indian national football team.

Schortsanitis
07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=593888&publicationSubCategoryId=448

A sport we can believe in

By Lester Cavestany (The Philippine Star) Updated July 17, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - There was something special about this year’s FIFA World Cup. For the first time in a long time, Filipinos gave a hoot about football. Perhaps it was due to the promotion by Balls TV; or maybe it’s because we’re finally catching on to the world’s most popular sport.

To get a better picture of the state of football in our nation, Supreme sat down with three football experts: Eddie Mallari, former national player who recently won the Castrol Skills Challenge with the prize of an all-expense-paid trip to the 2010 World Cup Final in Johannesburg; Ed Formoso, co-manager of the Philippine team that beat Brazil in the 2010 Street Child World Cup and the organizer of Football for Good under the Henry V. Moran Foundation; and Aris Caslib, former national coach and current Philippine Football Federation technical director.

SUPREME: Where are we in terms of developing football for Filipinos?

Mallari: The thing is, we’re quick and we’re skilled. When we go abroad and play against other countries, we’re as good as them individually. When we go for football or futsal, individually, we can hang, we’re quick, we’re strong. I mean we have players that are even better than these other guys. But we don’t have a professional league, so most of our players don’t train all year round.

Formoso: For me, the Street Child World Cup is a great example that it can be done. The kids went and they did what they had to do and they did well. In the eliminations, they beat Brazil. And in their final game, they faced South Africa. The gym was full of Africans and it ended 1-1 in full time but in extra time, we scored the winning goal. And so we came home with the trophy.

Caslib: I want to share with you the experience of the under-14 (age group) in Malaysia. During the first round of the competition, we were able to draw Australia, Vietnam, and Myanmar. These are big teams in our region. Now, what are we sharing here? We have to fully understand how to develop the base, especially at the youth level, then slowly we can build up, going to the higher age group levels.

What can we do to popularize it?

Mallari: You’re not gonna have soccer grow in this country unless there’s something to look forward to. Right now, college level is okay. But after college, there’s no professional league. So players don’t want to play soccer if there’s no career in the future. The league is the key.

Formoso: I think bringing an event here, a huge one, is a key to popularizing the game. What I want to do is create our own. It’s beginning to happen this year. It will be called Football for Good Championships. It’s for people who use football to do good things, whether helping street kids or the homeless. Next year, one more time. Then in 2013, it will be called Football for Good World Cup. Bring everyone. Invite the whole world.

Caslib: A league can be attractive to a lot of people to see very good players in our country. Very good results of the national teams competing outside would also promote the game. Then, a continuous grassroots activity at the base level.

Where do we go from here?

Mallari: We have the skill, we have the talent, we just need the support. You really need someone like the manager now, Dan Palami, who does it for a hobby. It’s his passion. He wants to help and it shows. So hopefully, we’ll see what happens.

Formoso: First, you love the game. When you get people to love the game, then you’re ready. Then you think about winning.

Caslib: There are a lot of interests to develop football and there are a lot of ideas on how to push through in the development of football. But then, we have to put all these things on one road and put them in their respective areas of development so that we can really see the bigger picture of football in our country.

danny
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Nice to read about a Bedan comrade doing his share in promoting football in our motherland. Isang lumalagablab na pulahang pagbati, Aris Caslib!

Maitim ka pa din ba?

Schortsanitis
07-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Wrong post. LOL

Schortsanitis
07-24-2010, 09:43 AM
http://leytesamardaily.net/?p=721

Philippine men’s football team here in Tacloban City for a tune-up game

TACLOBAN CITY – While the world is waiting who among the teams competing in the FIFA World Cup will be declared as champion in this year’s event that is being held in South Africa, the men’s football team of the Philippines is busy practicing for their upcoming international competition, in fact they are here in the city of Tacloban to have a tune-up game with local football players and a selection of football players from various teams in the country.

In a visit to their tune-up game, which is being held at the Leyte Sports Development Center better known as “grandstand”, of the 31 members of the Philippine team along with the selection team called as the Stallions, they are having a great time in the field trying to out-score each other in the playing field of the grandstand, which was rehabilitated in 2008 for the Palarong Pambansa.

The tune-up game of the Philippine Team in the city of Tacloban is the first ever practice that the Philippine Men’s Football Team since the grandstand was constructed.

In an interview with the coach of football national team, he said that the tune-up game is way of determining and examining the performance of his players in the field while playing.

“We would like to know what are the things that we need to improve with my men while they are inside playing so that they can compete well in the international competition,” Coach Broax said.

In the first day of the tune-up game between the national team and the selection team, the coach said that the national team is doing well but the team still needs to deliver a good finishing touch to deliver a point for their team.

“Marami tayong crosses compared sa kalaban, problema lang yung finishing kung paano nila magagawa ang conversion to goal,” the coach explained.

“Maganda naman ang build up pero importante ang crosses kasi 90% of the goals come from crosses,” he added.
Coach Broax added that aside from the build game that they are doing to improve the performance of the national team they also hire a foreign coach to help them in improving the performance of their team players especially by sharing his experience in international games

“Desmund Dulpin, a British coach who had work with some British premier league, was hired by the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) and Mr. Dan Palami to help us in training the players,” Coach Broax added.

Aside from the British coach, the national football team of the Philippines has also two Sudanese players who are on the process of naturalization of their birth and two British players who have Filipino lineage.

Acting as the new Team Manager of the Philippine National Football Team, Dan Palami said that his main concern is to prepare the team and to make sure that they are always ready in various national and international tournaments.
“As their team manager, I need to make sure that they are always prepared and aside from that I also need to make sure that their need in their trainings are answered,” Palami said.

“The support should always be there, including the corporate sponsors as well to ensure that the management office becomes supportive to the team,” he added.

He then explained the reason why the Philippine Men’s Team is conducting the training in the city and not in another place where there are existing facility for football games.

“One of the reason of this is I am the team manager but aside from it we are preparing for various competition,” he said.

“To be honest, we had been going around the country to check existing football grounds and we found out that there are only few places in the country with a facility that can be used as a tournament ground for football,” Palami said.

“Leyte is one of those places in the country with a better facility that could be used in training the football players and also a good venue for football tournament,” he added.

Aside from the training that is being held at the grandstand Palami added that he would also like to show that the region especially the province of Leyte has the facility that can be used a venue for football tournament.

After their training in the region by the month of August, the Philippine Men’s Football Team will be going to Iran, in September to Qatar as preparation for the qualifying tournament of the Suzuki Cup on October in Laos where the finals is to be held in Vietnam.

Palami added that they will also compete in the qualifying tournament for the South East Asian Games and qualifying tournament for the World Cup.

Palami revealed that in the previous games of the Philippine Team in international competitions, their performance was quiet low but unlikely to be considered as a bad performance.

“Diri man gad malain itun ira performances han mga previous competitions in previous years, pero diri kita nakaka-qualify,” Palami said.

“But since I assumed the position as the team manager we had implemented various trainings with the help of experts in the field of football so that we can improve their performances and since this January when we started competing although it was not a major competition, we were able to perform well, and we were able to qualify,” Palami added

“We continue to practice to improve the quality of game we have and hopefully we can achieve our goal that we can compete in the World Cup sometime in the future,” Palami further said

He added that with the help of their foreign coach and with the help from their players who are coming from abroad they are expecting to have better performance in their coming games.

“We may consider them as one of the assets for our team, because they come from abroad and they are more exposed in football tournaments abroad. They have been training every year in the country where they came from which is very helpful for the team,” he stressed. (Roel Amazona)

Schortsanitis
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I read somewhere that Bulpin is now with the Indian national football team.

Looks like it:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-english-coach-leaves-azkals-flatfooted

Villaflor: English coach leaves Azkals flatfooted

By Noel S. Villaflor

UNCONFIRMED reports online say Englishman Des Bulpin, has quit as coach of the Philippine Men’s National Team.

Wikipedia, though, quickly listed as “vacant” the entry under the team’s head coach, while another entry says he now “manages India’s Under-19 team.”

Among conflicting reports why Bulpin resigned is that politics made it difficult for him to run the team.

Blogger Louie Encabo, who runs the site usapangfootball.webs.com, writes: “Des’
decision was made simpler when a lucrative India U-19 team coaching position was offered to him. Not only do they have better facilities but they have an organized Federation as well.”

India having an “organized Federation,” in Encabo’s words, suggests the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) is not. Bulpin should now know that firsthand.

Some observers might find Bulpin’s resignation shocking, but I’m actually even more surprised that he lasted this long as Philippine coach, a job he himself described to a sports scribe as “a massive challenge.”

But finding the challenge too massive even for his Englishman’s wits, he flees faster than one can say “bollocks.” To hell with that one-year contract he signed in November last year, and never mind if the men’s team is joining the Asean Football Cup qualifiers this October.

(As an Azkals fan, it’s hard to forgive Bulpin for leaving at the height of the team’s preparations. An honorable man would have finished the job. The PFF mafia, on the other hand, is beyond redemption.)

This development must be annoying to a columnist for a national broadsheet, who wrote glowingly about Bulpin last February, even recklessly quoting a source, “He (Bulpin) may not be the best coach out there but he’s much better than anyone locally.”

(PFF technical director Aries Caslib took exception to the discriminatory statement, and was quick to reply with a list of Filipino coaches who are fit for the job.)

I pity the two benefactors, one of whom sits as team manager, who bankrolled Bulpin’s expenses, while the PFF need not spend a single cent by “outsourcing” its responsibilities of handling the national team.

Even more pathetic, Bulpin’s departure would give the PFF a convenient excuse should the team fare poorly in October.

But I hope not.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

Schortsanitis
08-01-2010, 08:23 AM
http://artnewsthailand.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/yahoo-news-reuters-malaysia-indonesia-propose-southeast-asia-league/

Yahoo News: Reuters-Malaysia, Indonesia propose southeast Asia league

In Uncategorized on July 31, 2010 at 2:21 pm

KUALA LUMPUR, July 31 (Reuters) – Malaysia and Indonesia are proposing the formation of a trans-national soccer league in southeast Asia to help revitalise the club game in the region, according to Malaysia’s Sports Minister Ahmad Shabery Cheek.

Ahmad Shabery said his Indonesian counterpart Andi Mallarangeng had approved of the plan for the league, which would be set up within the framework of the 11-member Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).

“I believe a league among ASEAN countries will help raise the standard of football in the region,” he told Malaysia’s state news agency Bernama.

The ASEAN countries already compete against each other in a biennial competition for national teams as well as at the biennial South East Asian Games, the last version of which took place in Laos last year.

Thailand, Brunei, Cambodia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, East Timor and Vietnam are the other ASEAN nations.

(Writing by Nick Mulvenney in Beijing, editing by Greg Stutchbury; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

Schortsanitis
08-03-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-missing-trail-afc-funds

Villaflor: The missing trail of the AFC funds

Friday, July 30, 2010

By Noel S. Villaflor

NOT so long ago, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) planted an idea in the minds of Filipinos that the sport will soon emerge from its nightmarish state.

In September of 2008, AFC Vision Asia officials announced the inception of “a massive development plan to elevate the quality of football in the country.”

The AFC and the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) handpicked the Cebu Football Association (CFA) to be at the forefront of the campaign.

The dreamers sprung into action, as representatives of AFC Vision Asia met with PFF and CFA officials to formulate the plan of making Cebu the pilot area of Vision Philippines, a 10-year grassroots development program. AFC Vision Asia pledged to fund the project.

As discussed during several days of planning, a few technical requirements had to be ironed out, one of which was for the CFA to amend its by-laws in line with Fifa statutes.

Less than a year later, the CFA, in a General Assembly in August 2009, amended its bylaws. PFF president Mari Martinez himself made sure to fly all the way to Cebu and attend the gathering to express his support for the ratification.

“It’s the first FA in the country to do so,” a CFA board member had said, pointing out that even the PFF has yet to update its bylaws.

In January this year, the CFA launched the Vision Philippines grassroots project, assembling young “elite players” ages eight to 16 from different clubs and schools all over Cebu, mentored no less by licensed coach volunteers.

Every afternoon for several weeks, dozens of players from the different groups would religiously train under stifling conditions at the Aboitiz Football Field.

But one weekend the practice sessions abruptly ended. The reason: funds the AFC promised never reached the CFA, sending the Vision Philippines’s pilot project in limbo.

I asked a CFA insider what happened. The PFF, he said, never sent them any money.

The AFC had earmarked at least P200,000 for the CFA program this year, and another P200,000 for the next. However, the AFC apparently cannot directly send funds to the CFA and had to course the money through the PFF.

The CFA repeatedly asked the PFF about the funds. CFA president Richard Montayre, the insider said, even had to meet the PFF president in his office to ask about the funds and why this wasn’t released. The CFA president ended up storming out of the office without getting a straight answer.

Left with limited options, the CFA emailed the AFC about the funds. The CFA was in for a surprise: it received a letter from the AFC last June recommending “a few amendments” in CFA statutes.

Now, didn’t they go through this before?

According to a June 23 report published on its website, the AFC has asked the CFA “to make the changes to take Vision Philippines-Project Cebu a step forward.”

The changes recommended mainly involved membership and disciplinary issues, none of
which has anything to do with the handling of funds.

To amend the CFA statutes meant the holding of another assembly and wasting scarce resources.

The CFA insider wondered: Why did the AFC not push these recommendations at the onset?

And granted the CFA does labor to amend its statutes anew, what next? What other set of recommendations would be needed to take the project “a step forward”? What other bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo and labyrinthine nonsense would the AFC spelunkers hatch next?

This “amendment” explanation sounds like an elaborate excuse to withhold funds. I can’t help but ask whether the deficiencies in the CFA statutes are reason enough.

If so, how come the PFF continues to get assistance from the AFC? Didn’t the AFC find anything to rectify with the PFF’s “un-amended” statutes?

In a newsletter the PFF released last year, a headline read: “PFF: Financially healthy.” In the story, the PFF treasurer trumpeted the PFF’s fiscal gains for 2009.

Fine.

But there was one detail in this paragraph I found disturbing: “Fiscal discipline, strict expenses, addition of new sponsors, and new assistance from Vision Asia helped PFF hit its financial target this year.”

I wonder where that “new assistance from Vision Asia” went. To dreamland, perhaps? But definitely not to its pilot project in Cebu.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

Schortsanitis
08-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Some out-of-school youth, street kids now occupied with football (GMA News TV Video)

http://www.gmanews.tv/video/64800/some-out-of-school-youth-street-kids-now-occupied-with-football

Schortsanitis
08-29-2010, 12:35 PM
http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/worthing-sport/FOOTBALL-Ex-Rebels-assistant-McMenemy.6494614.jp

FOOTBALL: Ex Rebels assistant McMenemy lands Philippines job

Published Date: 25 August 2010

FORMER Worthing Football Club assistant manager Simon McMenemy has gone from the dug-out at Woodside Road to become an international manager with Philippines in the space of four months.

McMenemy, who left Rebels with Simon Colbran at the end of last season after one year at the club, flew out to the Philippines on Monday after being offered the job just nine days earlier. He will be on a two-month probabtion period before, if things go well, he will sign a one-year deal.

The 32-year-old was manager at County League Haywards Heath before his spell at Worthing and, before the call, was going to be playing football for Franklands Village in the Mid Sussex League this season.

He said: "Haywards Heath to Worthing to the Philippines. It's quite a big step but I had to grab the chance.

"At 32, to call myself a national team manager is a massive statement.

"Things have gone 100 miles an hour. I've had nine days to prepare, my fiancée is coming out with me for the first two months, and everything has been very rushed. If I stopped to think about it, I might get cold feet. It's something I've got to do and there's no denying it will look fantastic on my CV.

"I'm stepping into the unknown. When I get there, I've got a four-week training camp, then we're off to Taiwan for a couple of weeks for a training camp and a couple of friendlies, then we're into qualifying for the Suzuki Cup, where we will play Laos, Cambodia and Timor Leste.

"If we get through that, then we'll come up against some of the bigger teams, like Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, so I could get to coach against Bryan Robson, which would be some experience."

McMenemy first heard about the job through Simon and Phil Greatwich, who played for Lewes and the Philippines, and they encouraged him to apply for the job.

Five weeks after applying, McMenemy heard back from the Philippines FA and after a couple of interviews over the phone and conference calls, he got the job. He said: "I'll be looking at the coaching when I'm there and will see if I can tweak anything to improve things and make it more effective.

"I've spent my fair share of time in the Far East, and got one international cap for Brunei, so I have some understanding of their style of football.

I've got two months to go out there and prove myself as an individual. "I'm untested at this level and have to prove I can do the job."

Schortsanitis
09-15-2010, 11:19 AM
http://inquirer.net/sports/articles/Serious-RP-eleven-training-for-Suzuki-Cup.html

Serious RP eleven training for Suzuki Cup

Cedelf P. Tupas
First Posted 02:25:39 14/09/2010

MANILA, Philippines--The Philippines won’t be fielding a hastily formed national team in its next major football competition.

“It’s a serious team we’re building and in terms of preparation; it’s probably the most well-prepared team we will ever have,” team manager Dan Palami, who has been funding the RP team since late last year, told the Inquirer.

The nationals, who began training in January, will next see action in the Suzuki Cup Asean Football Championship Qualifiers in Laos from Oct. 20 to 27.

In what could be the clearest indication yet of the renewed belief on the RP team, Filipino-British brothers Phil and James Younghusband have rejoined the squad after a two-year absence.

A former reserve at Chelsea Football Club in London, Phil is one of the top scorers of the squad from 2006 to 2008.
He had expressed misgivings over playing again because of issues hounding the Philippine Football Federation.

The Younghusband brothers reported for training last month, and Palami said the duo is close to hitting top form.

Another welcome news for the RP squad is the elevation of starting goalkeeper Neil Etheridge to the first team of English Premier League side Fulham FC.

Etheridge was a substitute in Fulham’s 2-1 win Sunday over Wolverhampton.

Palami said that, while he reports to the PFF on the squad’s progress and goes through it to communicate with foreign sides, he “independently” runs the squad.

Palami, the chief of Philippine Railways, also announced the appointment of British coach Simon McMenemy, who replaced Des Bulpin, now working for the Under-19 squad of India.

BedanRoar
09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Hindi na tayo umasenso sa Football. Ang style ng pinoy eh "Sipa Takbo" Haaaay!

kerouac82
09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Hindi na tayo umasenso sa Football. Ang style ng pinoy eh "Sipa Takbo" Haaaay!

Tapos kukuyugin ang sinumang kalaban na may bola :D

BedanRoar
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Mahusay pa nga ang Don Bosco Tondo, Medays lang ang suot pero kaya lampasuhing ang "ELITE" Schools! Palibhasa mahirap, walang support!!! Yan ang katotohanan!

AnthonyServinio
09-16-2010, 02:47 AM
PARTY in honor of the DLSU-Manila Football Field!

http://servssports.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/thanks-for-the-memories-field/

Schortsanitis
09-23-2010, 06:45 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs631.snc4/59122_474810043202_187194178202_6887618_3328946_n. jpg

Schortsanitis
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/sports/dan-palami-savior-rp-football

Dan Palami savior of RP football

By Jack Biantan

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

LONDON - Republic of the Philippines men's football team, popularly known as the Azkals, is back on the sports pages this past few days.

This time, for a good reason.

The Azkals are back on their winning form. The main reason for this is because they have found a new backer, Leyte Football Association's president Dan Stephen Palami.

The Azkals recently are in form as they finished second to host Laos in the elimination tournament of the Asean Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup Asean Championship in Vientine Laos trailing behind Laos on goal difference to qualify for the finals in Hanoi, Vietnam in December.

They defeated East Timor, 5-0, and drew with Laos, 2-2 and eliminated Cambodia with a hard-earned scoreless draw to advance to the proper tournament on Dec. 2, 5, and 8 against Asean football powerhouses, Myanmar, host Vietnam and Singapore.

The Suzuki Cup Asean Championship was formerly known as the Tiger Cup until its former backer Tiger Beer of Singapore had been changed by Suzuki motors of Japan.

It is an exciting chapter in the Azkals history and much of the credit goes to the 40-year-old Palami. He is the CEO of Autre Porte Global Inc. (APT Global).

The giant railway engineering company is involved in the construction, operations, and maintenance of railway systems. They are involved in various capacities in LRT Line 1 and Line 2 in Manila.

Palami's association with the Azkals started sometime in December of 2009 when he was approached by the PFF to manage the Nationals. He was just fresh from handling the RP Under-19 team which was formed one month before a tournament.

The RP U-19 team was humiliated for lack of preparation but he accepted the job to manage the Azkals on the condition that he would do it in his own way and isolate himself from the political intrigues that Philippine Football Federation (PFF) is involved in.

Palami's appointment as Azkals manager is probably the only positive credit that the current PFF regime has ever made. The PFF has left him to manage the Azkals like he manages his multi-million peso company. He is a hands on boss and he is always around when there are matches and when they need financial and material support.

Palami is involved in the recruitment of the players and the first thing he did when he was appointed was to get local players and hire a foreign coach to infuse system that could work for the Azkals in short term basis.

British Des Bulfin took charge immediately but was replaced this year by the youthful Simon MacMenemy of England.

Palami then recruited the locals led by the prolific centre defender and skipper Aly Borromeo and Anton del Rosario of Kaya FC, plus Philippine Airforce reliables, winger Chieffy Caligdong, striker Ian Araneta, defender Rey Palmes and the ageless Yanti Bersales.

Other players recruited from local teams include goalkeepers, 16-year-old Christopher Camcam from Southridge FC, and veteran Eduard Sacapano of Philippine Army, defenders Jerry Barbaso, Michael Atienza and Kristopher Relocio of Laos FC, midfielders Jose Caminos of Philippine Navy, Roel Gener of the Philippine Army, Mark Ferrer Philippine Airforce, Joel Ballo-allo, Nestorio Margarse Jr. of Philippine Army, Peter Jaugan of Philippine Airforce, and striker David Basa of UST.

Another teenage goalkeeper Jose Pascual of the University of San Carlos who had been invited to the training pool but has not showed up yet because of commitment to his school in Cebu.

He then re-activated the scouting and the recruitment of Fil-Foreign players. Palami is credited for rekindling the international football careers of the reliable Young husband brothers Phil and James.

The duo who used to play for the Chelsea FC reserve team in London found a niche in the Philippines but has stopped playing for the Azkals after a row with the PFF.

James and Phil are now back in top form scoring one goal each in their 2-2 draw against Laos. James also had two assists in their 5-0 victory over Timor-Liste.

Palami also signed Filipino British goalkeeper Neil Etheridge of Fulham FC of England, and Filipino-Dutch midfielder Jason de Jong from the Dutch League.

Other Filipino foreign players in the line-up include defenders Robert Gier, Gino Pavone, Mathew Hartman, and midfielder Manuel Ott.

In an interview with Palami, he said that he wanted to develop a team that everybody wants to support. At the start of this endeavor, he knew that is very difficult to get a private sector support for a team that has no winning attitude. But now that they have started winning and qualified for the Suzuki Cup, the Azkals have shown to everyone that they are a good team.

The next step--according to Palami-- is to look for partners who are willing to help the Azkals because, as of the moment, he only gets support from Mizuno for the Kits while all the rest is from his own pocket.

Palami is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and earned his accountancy degree at the University of the Philippines. He has studied to become a lawyer, but left UP law school in his fourth year to set up his railways company. He is now based in Manila but was born and grew up in Tacloban city, Leyte.

Suzuki Cup

With only more than a month of preparation before the Hanoi tournament, Palami is worried by the Azkals defenses. He said that the coming weeks will be spent on preparing the team defenses.

"We are capable of scoring goals and we always look very dangerous when we keep the ball, however we are always being caught flat-footed during counter attacks," he said.

He added that if they fix their defensive problems, they could actually reach the semis. Fil-British goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will be seeking permission from his London Club, Fulham to see action in the finals. Etheridge has been the starting goalkeeper for the Azkals since 2008 whenever he is available.

He flew to Laos to play in the elimination tournament and became a hero in their scoreless draw against Cambodia by stopping countless attempts. The draw sealed their fate to the Suzuki Asean Cup final.

Etheridge has been promoted to the first team of the Fulham FC starting this season after seeing action in their reserve and youth teams for many years.

Additionally, Palami will try to bring in another Fil-German defender Steven Schrock to bolster the team defensively.

Football community

The football community and Philippine sports in general is thankful for having Dan Stephen Palami as the chief supporter of the Azkals.

Danding Cojuangco did it before for the RP national basketball team. Now, Manuel V. Pangilinan is also doing it for Philippine basketball and Philippine boxing. But these two men are business tycoons and they have their own people to manage their teams.

Palami is different, he is always with the team. He even joins them when they travel and sits with them on the bench. Nobody has done this before for Philippine football. He describes this as his personal crusade to help football. Philippine football needs more people like him. It is now time for the public to support the Azkals and for the private partners to help maintain the cost of running the National team. Let's book our tickets to Hanoi. Go Azkals! Go Azkals Go!

GOD BLESS jackbiantan@yahoo.com

morrissey
11-09-2010, 11:25 PM
may news ba sa UAAP Football. Sana kapag nagsimula na yung tourney may updates din dito. Thanks.

Schortsanitis
11-20-2010, 11:21 PM
may news ba sa UAAP Football. Sana kapag nagsimula na yung tourney may updates din dito. Thanks.

Super dalang ng UAAP Football news, grabe.

morrissey
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Super dalang ng UAAP Football news, grabe.

tama ka dun pre. Sana meron follower din ng UAAP Assoc. Football na blogger to update the fans.

Schortsanitis
11-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Azkals get a boost for the upcoming Suzuki Cup

In the picture: (from middle L-R Simon McMenemy, Dan Palami, Chito Manuel, Ton Gatmaitan and Aly Borromeo

Azkals get a boost for the upcoming Suzuki Cup

by rick olivares

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BquY6zd9Wxo/TOvMZIbyNwI/AAAAAAAANP4/2YPUiSKJmTY/s640/DSC_0127.JPG

The Philippine Men’s National Football Team got a nice send off yesterday November 23, 2010 at the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) House of Football as Gatorade, the world’s leading sports drink, came on board as a team sponsor on the eve of their participation in the Asean Football Federation Suzuki Cup 2010 that will be held in Hanoi, Vietnam from December 1-19.

“Having Gatorade behind us is literally a big boost for us,” said an exuberant Dan Palami, the national team manager. “The press con, the media being present – I don’t think this team has ever seen so many media persons in one room interested in writing about them – and having the backing of a multinational like Gatorade definitely lifts up our spirits.”

“Football is one of our three priority sports for 2011,” underscored Gatorade Brand Representative Ton Gatmaitan. “We are excited to be able to be behind not just the national team but also Philippine football in general. Not only will we provide them with powered Gatorade to last them from Thailand (where the team will train briefly) all the way to Vietnam but we will also have equipment such as coolers, towels, water bottles, and next year even sweat tests to determine a hydration plan for all of the players.”

The Nationals qualified for the biennial tournament when they placed second in the Qualifying Stage last month in Vientiane, Laos. The Philippines beat Timor Leste 5-0 in its first match before they drew their final two matches against eventual group winner Laos 2-2 and Cambodia 0-0.

Laos and the Philippines will join the top six seeded ASEAN nations – Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, and Thailand – in a battle for the AFF Suzuki Cup trophy and US $100,000. The Azkals, as the nationals are fondly nicknamed, are bracketed with defending champion Vietnam, dangerous Singapore, and Myanmar.

“I’m expecting three very very tough games where we’re the underdogs in every match.” said head coach Simon McMenemy who had one international cap with Brunei as a contracted foreigner and was a former assistant manager with non-English Premier League team Worthing Football Club. “Being here is already achievement but were certainly not satisfied with that. We’re in for a tough fight but if we start out well against Singapore in our opening match then who knows how far we can go? Anything we achieve in the tournament is a bonus. We know we are capable of beating the other teams. Whether that works in our favor on game day or not, without wanting to be very cliché-ish about it, football is a very strange game where the ball is round and anything can happen. The way the lads have been training, we are certainly capable of doing things.”

“None of the other countries are expecting anything from us,” noted team captain Alexander Borromeo. “We always play better when we’re underdogs and we’re in high spirits now so that has to be a good combination.”

The composition of the national team is a balance of veterans like Emelio “Chieffy” Caligdong, Borromeo, Ian Araneta, Anton del Rosario, Phil and James Younghusband, Neil Etheridge, Matthew Hartmann, and Eduard Sacapaño; and newcomers Michael Atienza, Jerry Barbaso, Yanti Barsales, David Basa, Christopher Camcam, Jose Alfe Caminos, Joel Ballo-Allo, Jason de Jong, Mark Anthony Ferrer, Roel Gener, Robert James Gier, Peter Jaugan, Ray Anthony Jonsson, Manuel Ott, Ray Mark Palmes, Jose Paolo Pascual, Gino Angelo Pavone, and Kristoffer Relucio.

Assisting McMenemy is former Ateneo High School and Air Force coach Edwin Cabalida, Edzel Bracamonte, and Rolando Piñero as well as physiotherapists Walfred Javier and Josef Malinay.

The Philippines sees its first bit of action on December 2 when they go up against Singapore at 5pm at the My Dinh Stadium.

They play hosts Vietnam on December 5 at 730pm once more at the My Dinh Stadium before they close out their group stage assignment Myanmar of December 8 at 5pm at the Hang Day Stadium.

One of my fave players -- Emelio "Chieffy" Caligdong of Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo -- explaining in his own way the difference between the system utilized by current coach Simon McMenemy and former team mentor Aris Caslib. It was hilarious I assure you. Not sure if I can post the video though.

Posted by Rick Olivares

morrissey
11-27-2010, 03:43 AM
Sana tuloy-tuloy na ito, Bigatin ang sponsor nila, a big boost talaga! Go Azkals!

razor
12-06-2010, 09:05 AM
If only our football officials can get their acts together, then this BIG win over Vietnam can certainly get footbal going in our country:

PHL football team makes history, stuns Vietnam

The Philippines stunned defending champion Vietnam, 2-0, in their Group B match on Sunday in the 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Television commentators called it the biggest shock in the tournament's history. The hosts were shut out by the Philippine side's strapping 20-year-old goalkeeper, Filipino-British Neil Etheridge.

Chris Greatwich and Phil Younghusband struck for the Philippines as the underdog squad earned an all-important three points and endangered the hosts’ title-defense bid in the Southeast Asian region’s equivalent of the Asian Football Cup.

The Philippines had to qualify to compete in this tournament, then played favorite Singapore to a draw, 1-1, before defeating powerhouse Vietnam before a home crowd. The hosts had previously demolished Mynmar, 7-1, in its previous match.

The Filipino-British Greatwich scored in the 38th minute, his shot silencing 40,000 Vietnamese fans that watched the match at the My Dinh National Stadium.

Disciplined defense by the Filipinos thwarted the hosts' offensive thrusts, and the Philippines took a 1-0 halftime lead.

Stung, the Vietnamese mounted furious attacks early in the second half, leading to several scoring chances, but PHL goalie Etheridge proved stalwart in snuffing all attempts by the increasingly desperate hosts.

After a miscue by the Vietnamese goalie, forward Ian Araneta had a sorry miss at an undefended goal in one of PHL's few but effective counter-attacks.

It was Younghusband who added an insurance goal in the 79th minute to finally silence the boisterous home crowd that had continuously cheered their squad on to score an equalizer.

Younghusband shook off his defender and faked out the Vietnamese goalie before calmly flicking the ball into the back of the net.

The win by the 151st-ranked Philippines against Vietnam, 13 notches higher in the FIFA world rankings, was the biggest upset in the tournament, and perhaps even in the history of Southeast Asian football.

The AFF Suzuki Cup is a biennial football competition organized by the ASEAN Football Federation and contested by the national teams of Southeast Asia.
- Jon Perez/KY/RCJ/HS, GMANews.TV

lurkinggood
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks to Mr. Palami for not giving up on Philippine Football. This win against powerhouse Vietnam is certainly historic. I hope we go all the way to the finals. Go Azkals!

salsa caballero
12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Kudos to Mr. Palami for forming this giant-killing team. I was screaming my head off at the TV last night, just like a raving lunatic when we got our first goal...after which, my fingernails dug into our sofa pillows as I watched wave after wave of Vietnamese attacks repelled at the goal by our stalwart defense anchored on the youthful keeper Etheridge. When by some stroke of luck and a whole heap of skill, the balik-azkals Younghusband launched a clinical 15-yarder past the Vietnamese keeper, I had an inkling that this could be the day we make history.

When the telecast was then unceremoniously pulled by Starsports, I got to reflecting that the Azkals are a microcosm of our country today. They are feisty, just like our "asong kalye", from whence our boys derived their monicker. But they are likewise a mixed-breed -- an amalgam of both homegrown grit, and the offspring from the diaspora of Filipinos to Europe and the United States.This is our global legacy -- and our new face. But as in most Filipino collective endeavors, the Azkals still suffer from a lack of teamwork, due in large part to a lack of familiarity with one another. A malady that can and should be addressed over time. This also explains why our offensive thrusts do not seem to flow, unlike those of our opponents, but we can only expect this to improve if we go deeper into the tournament. Another endemic-to-Pinas issue is the familiar refrain of lack of funding. A definite given. But, as shown by the efficient handling and management of resources by Mr. Palami and the entire Azkals team so far, this problem can be overcome, provided that commitment and oneness of purpose is found in the whole team.

Just now I heard that the Vietnamese team's Portuguese coach has accused us of "parking the bus" on defense, and that this style of play reflects poorly on SEA football. I imagine that he also wants to claim that this is not the "jogo bonita" of his native tongue. In reply, this Filipino fan can only retort with a big, fat WHATEVER. We played to our strengths (defense) in order to tone down our shortcomings (lack of familiarity). We know that we cannot engage Vietnam in a scoring fiesta and hope to win. Thus, we played on our own terms. Senhor Vietnamese team coach, perhaps you would also fault Ho Chi Minh for failing to engage Uncle Sam in conventional warfare, prior to winning the Vietnam War? Our style is founded on asymmetric engagement, and it obviously works for us. So. Deal. With. it.

The Philippines is a basketball country, no doubt. Footie is somewhere there near men's volleyball and somewhat below tennis, in our hierarchy of sports. But this was not always the case. May this upset mark a resurgence in football for the Philippines. First things first, though. We need to either draw or defeat Myanmar in order to make it to the semis. Achievable for sure, but certainly not a done deal. Whilst before our opponents underestimated us, today, there is already a healthy amount of respect. Myanmar will certainly be ready, and are likely chomping at the bits to stomp us in order to erase the bitter memory of their 7-1 shellacking at the hands of the Vietnamese. If we succeed in exploiting the downtrend in the psychological make-up of Myanmar at this point, and introduce even more self-doubt, then we could be on the way to the next round. That said, the way our defense has been holding up, it looks achievable. Very much so. Good luck Azkals and Godspeed! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!

morrissey
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Basta Astig ng Azkals!!!!!!!!!!!!

oca
12-07-2010, 06:21 AM
I have a grandnephew who plays gradeschool football for a public school and they are Manila champions and are now preparing for the NCR finals. Coming home from their practice, he shared the news of our win over Vietnam. "Abangan natin sa balita, tinalo ng Philippines ang Vietnam!"

Di ko na gets ang sinabi niya. Tinanong ko..."Tinalo saan?"

Sa football, po!

Laking gulat ko, kaya naupo ako sa harapan ng tv at inabangan ang balita sa Dos. Duda ako na maibabalita ang resulta ng laro sa tv. Knowing how lowly regarded this game is in the public consciousness. Pero ayun nga! At nagulat uli ako, ikalawang pagkakataon sa loob ng isang oras lamang----narinig kong tinalo ng Azkals ang Vietnam at binalita din ito sa tv!

Nagtanong ang isang bata sa pamilya, "Gaano ba kalakas ang Vietnam?"

Walang makasagot, but I dared give an answer.

Sabi ko, "Isipin mo na basketball yan at tayo ang tinalo ng Vietnam!"

Then everyone had a grasp of how big was that victory.

Next game will be vs Myanmar, Wed 8:30pm Manila time. Live daw sa Star Sports.

Kaninong kapit-bahay kaya ako makikipanood.... basketball at karera lang ang sports dito sa amin.

razor
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
^ ESPN daw at 830pm, wednesday.

leon.guinto
12-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Coaches laud stunning Filipino win

JAKARTA: The after-effects of the Philippines' stunning 2-0 win over defending champions Vietnam on Sunday are not being felt only in Hanoi. On Monday, the shock result was also a hot topic for officials and journalists gathered in Indonesia for the Group A matches in the AFF Suzuki Cup.

The Filipinos have been one of the tournament's traditional whipping boys and they hold the record for the tournament's heaviest defeat, a 13-1 thrashing by Indonesia in 2002. But having drawn 1-1 with three-time champions Singapore in their tournament opener, they now stand on the brink of the semi-finals after a resolute performance against the Vietnamese.

The general consensus in Jakarta was that their win against the Vietnamese was not undeserved.

Said Thailand coach Brian Robson: "I went to the tournament where the Philippines and Laos qualified for the finals and I was that you can't underestimate any of those teams because they were well organised and they have had very good preparations where they've been together for three to four months.

"When teams are organised, you can't dismiss them and the Philippines showed that last night in their victory against Vietnam."

Having seen his side pegged back to a 2-2 draw by the Philippines in the qualifiers, after holding a two-goal lead, Laos coach David Booth was not surprised by the result.

"I thought that the Philippines were absolutely terrific and I thought that their discipline was absolutely superb," the Englishman said.

For Indonesia coach Wolfgang Pikal, the result is yet another indication that the level of Filipino football is now very close to the top teams in the region.

"I think that the gap is very close," the Austrian said. "The Philippines played very well last night. They have a lot of players playing abroad and they did their homework. I think they're doing a good job because a few years ago, everyone was expecting them to be beaten easily."

And Malaysia coach K. Rajagobal believes that the result is a positive development for the regional football tournament.

"You see that things have turned around in Asean football and I'm not surprised with the result," he said. "The Philippines have got some good players from abroad in their side, just like Singapore, and they are now a very competitive team. Their win yesterday has boosted their standing and they are serious contenders to reach the semi-finals.

"You definitely cannot take any of teams in this tournament lightly anymore. That's good because it make things much more exciting for everyone.

http://www.affsuzukicup.com/_webapp_739177/Coaches_laud_stunning_Filipino_win

salsa caballero
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Sabay gaganapin ang last games from both groups. to prevent match fixing daw.

elvis
12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
^Baka ex-NABRO ang refs dyan kaya sila naninigurado. :D

leon.guinto
12-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Coaches laud stunning Filipino win

06-Dec-2010
JAKARTA: The after-effects of the Philippines' stunning 2-0 win over defending champions Vietnam on Sunday are not being felt only in Hanoi. On Monday, the shock result was also a hot topic for officials and journalists gathered in Indonesia for the Group A matches in the AFF Suzuki Cup.

The Filipinos have been one of the tournament's traditional whipping boys and they hold the record for the tournament's heaviest defeat, a 13-1 thrashing by Indonesia in 2002. But having drawn 1-1 with three-time champions Singapore in their tournament opener, they now stand on the brink of the semi-finals after a resolute performance against the Vietnamese.

The general consensus in Jakarta was that their win against the Vietnamese was not undeserved.

Said Thailand coach Brian Robson: "I went to the tournament where the Philippines and Laos qualified for the finals and I was that you can't underestimate any of those teams because they were well organised and they have had very good preparations where they've been together for three to four months.

"When teams are organised, you can't dismiss them and the Philippines showed that last night in their victory against Vietnam."

Having seen his side pegged back to a 2-2 draw by the Philippines in the qualifiers, after holding a two-goal lead, Laos coach David Booth was not surprised by the result.

"I thought that the Philippines were absolutely terrific and I thought that their discipline was absolutely superb," the Englishman said.

For Indonesia coach Wolfgang Pikal, the result is yet another indication that the level of Filipino football is now very close to the top teams in the region.

"I think that the gap is very close," the Austrian said. "The Philippines played very well last night. They have a lot of players playing abroad and they did their homework. I think they're doing a good job because a few years ago, everyone was expecting them to be beaten easily."

And Malaysia coach K. Rajagobal believes that the result is a positive development for the regional football tournament.

"You see that things have turned around in Asean football and I'm not surprised with the result," he said. "The Philippines have got some good players from abroad in their side, just like Singapore, and they are now a very competitive team. Their win yesterday has boosted their standing and they are serious contenders to reach the semi-finals.

"You definitely cannot take any of teams in this tournament lightly anymore. That's good because it make things much more exciting for everyone.

http://www.affsuzukicup.com/_webapp_739177/Coaches_laud_stunning_Filipino_win

AnthonyServinio
12-09-2010, 10:40 AM
AFTER the stunning news of the Phililppines barging into the AFF Suzuki Cup semifinals for the first time now comes the bad news -- we will not be allowed to host our half of the home-and-away semifinals against Indonesia due to "lack of a suitable venue".

Mr. Mariano Araneta, the legal PFF president, must exhaust all remedies to make sure we get to the most of this historic opportunity. I sense some foul play here, but who would want to sabotage the gains made by the Araneta administration?

If the AFF is really sincere in promoting football in the region, then they must allow the Philippines to host the semifinals, with or without a suitable venue.

Jeep
12-14-2010, 01:41 PM
congrats to the azkals and good luck on what they hope to accomplish when they head on down to indonesia. i was listening this morning to chino trinidad's report over dzBB on the national football team as they fly out tonight. they will be facing a very powerful indonesian team that has defeated the azkals in 16 of the 17 games they played -- and the lone game which the azkals didn't lose ended in a draw :(. on top of that, the indonesians are a hostile home crowd, yelling and spitting at the opposition as they please. chino, who it seems turns into a spineless jellyfish when push comes to shove (remember leaving the PBL high and dry?), admitted on national radio that he is scared about going down there because of this. :-\

para ngang wala na siyang masyadong inaasahan sa azkals. kahit na daw matalo sa indonesia, wala daw silang dapat ikahiya ???. hindi pa man nakakaalis, nagdesisyon siyang talo na ang koponan natin? huwag naman ganun, chino.

so, good luck to our azkals! a victory on hostile territory will be very sweet indeed!

Kid Cubao
12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
first of all, congrats to our national football team for their surprising run in the ongoing AFF tournament. they will be needing our prayers and messages of support against an indonesian side featuring a naturalized colombian attacking midfielder, whose name escapes me now.

after having watched a number of azkal game clips and highlights, my observation is they play a highly-tactical and deliberate defensive system that can be "boring" to the casual fan (like me). they tend to crowd the middle to clog all possible attacking angles, which may explain why they have been able to hold explosive teams to scoreless draws and defending champion vietnam to a 2-0 loss. it's all about defense, defense, defense for our azkals. i pray they will be able to bring their a-game against a hostile indonesian home crowd.

salsa caballero
12-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Kaya yan! We will play with nothing to lose because we have come this far on sheer grit. The naturalized Indon, Christian Gonzales, is actually from Uruguay. Malupit din pero our Fil-Euro backline is not fazed by this type of player. As we say in the vernacular, those players are lima-singko, to them in Europe.

Yung isa sa midfielder natin, si De Jong, will probably be exchanging Dutch "sweet nothings" with Irfan and the other Indonesian players with exposure in Holland. Should be something to see.

This game will see the top offensive team in the Suzuki Cup going against the top defensive team. Unstoppable force vs. Immovable object kung baga. May bibigay...and I am crossing my fingers and praying hard it won't be us! :-)

oca
12-15-2010, 07:40 AM
not too many are saying we can win this match-up with indonesia. kung meron man, they just keep it to themselves.

sa akin, i say we can win this. i will not say we will dahil parehong sa indonesia ang matches. but i am optimistic we have a 50-50 chance on this.

my optimism is based on the assumption our team will again use the "park the bus" 2-4-4 defensive formation vs the indons. that defensive wall makes opponents unknowingly advance too deep in their attacks, which makes them vulnerable to a quick counter.

from our matches vs vietnam, singapore and myanmar, sa first half we practically did nothing but defend. at the start of the second half ganon din, pero this time bigla nalang a-atake pag nakuha ang possession.

dahil home team ang indonesia, nandun yung pressure sa kanila to score. tiyak they'll press on their attacks. manggigigil ang mga yan probably leaving just 1 or 2 guys at the back. if our defense holds, then we will have our chances on that quick counter.

easter
12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Panalo tayo dito at alam kong naniniwala ang team na mananalo sila. In a way not getting to play in home soil could be a blessing in disguise since the pressure will be lifted from the boys and they will just play their game and concentrate on winning this game. Our guys are used to playing in hostile territory so thetr is nothing new here. Go get that win.

morrissey
12-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Mananalo ang Azkals, tiyak yan!

danny
07-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Red with Envy: Liverpool FC vs. Malaysia

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/assets/2011/07/sea-of-red2.jpg

There was a huge cheer for the Malaysian national team as they went through their warm-ups, but the loudest ovations undoubtedly were for Liverpool. When the speakers blared the club’s anthem “You’ll Never Walk Alone” over the speakers, majority of the 80,000 strong fans let their voices be heard. Caught up in the moment, there will be few dry eyes left among them.

Blanketed by a sea of red shirts, the game kicked off amid chants of ‘Li-ver-pool! Li-ver-pool!’ and the incessant pulsating beat of drums, punctuated by air horns piercing the afternoon sky.

OMG!!!!! Really?

Malaysia understands that in Football, we Asians have a chance.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/red-with-envy-liverpool-fc-vs-malaysia

danny
07-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Azkals wilt under desert heat, lose to Kuwait 3-0

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/azkals-wilt-under-desert-heat-lose-to-kuwait-3-0

Kuwait showed its class with a comprehensive 3-0 drubbing of the Philippine national men’s football team in the first leg of the second round of qualifiers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup at a packed Mohammed Al-Hamad Stadium in Kuwait City early Sunday morning Manila time.

The Azkals, who played without the suspended captain and defensive lynchpin Aly Borromeo, more than held their own early in the match against the highly-rated Kuwait team. Utilizing a more compact formation, the Philippine team started as the brighter side, with Phil Younghusband drawing a diving save from Kuwaiti goalkeeper Nawaf Al-Khaldi in the 10th minute of play.

But the woodwork would twice deny Younghusband and striker Angel Guirado before Kuwait winger Fahad Al Enezi delivered a fantastic left-footed cross for Yousef Nasser to score off a glancing header in the 16th minute, giving Kuwait a 1-0 lead.

To the Azkals’ credit, the team stayed strong after conceding the goal, and did not back down from the physical play of Kuwait. Time and again, defensive midfielders Jason de Jong and Manny Ott denied the passing lanes for the Al-Azraq. Wingers James Younghusband and Chieffy Caligdong were seen tracking back and helping in the Azkals’ defense.

However, fatigue may have set in the second half as Kuwait piled on the pressure on Neil Etheridge’s goal.

The pressure finally took its toll on the Azkals as defender Musaed Neda finally doubled the lead for Kuwait in the 68th minute after a goal mouth scramble which saw the Azkals fail to clear the corner kick.

Heads visibly dropped for the Azkals as they struggled for energy to retain their composure on the field. With the Philippines losing its shape due to fatigue and with the defense being stretched to the limit, the game started to open up. Kuwait were given time and space with the ball, which resulted in a third Kuwait goal in the 83rd minute via a long range strike by Fahed al-Ibrahim.

Only Etheridge’s heroics kept the score at 3-0 as Kuwaiti players found themselves unmarked time and time again for long range shots late in the game.

Kuwait has one foot in the next round, as the Azkals now have the daunting task of having to score four unanswered goals in their home leg at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium on July 28 to go through to the next round.

maroonmartian
07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
^ Ball possession for the Kuwaitis for most of the game. Our midfield completely outplayed. Captain Chieffy Caligdong totally absent. As for the defense? Good but they should not have allowed that third goal.

Only positive thing about this? Up in the FIFA rankings and the realization that we have a long way to the World Cup. Which tempered our high expectations. Sana lang marami pa rin magiging interesado sa football at sa WORLD CUP.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Red with Envy: Liverpool FC vs. Malaysia

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/assets/2011/07/sea-of-red2.jpg

There was a huge cheer for the Malaysian national team as they went through their warm-ups, but the loudest ovations undoubtedly were for Liverpool. When the speakers blared the club’s anthem “You’ll Never Walk Alone” over the speakers, majority of the 80,000 strong fans let their voices be heard. Caught up in the moment, there will be few dry eyes left among them.

Blanketed by a sea of red shirts, the game kicked off amid chants of ‘Li-ver-pool! Li-ver-pool!’ and the incessant pulsating beat of drums, punctuated by air horns piercing the afternoon sky.

OMG!!!!! Really?

Malaysia understands that in Football, we Asians have a chance.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/red-with-envy-liverpool-fc-vs-malaysia

The same thing happened as well when Arsenal FC had a match with Malaysia's national team. Arsenal fans from Malaysia also stormed the stadium and the chants for Arsenal were stronger throughout the game.

admin
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
sample post

admin
05-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Phil's hat-trick propels Sparks vs Global FC

By Joey Villar, The Philippine Star
Posted at 05/01/2012 9:25 AM | Updated as of 05/01/2012 9:25 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Phil Younghusband unloaded a hat-trick as Loyola Meralco Sparks FC smothered Army Fritz & Macziol FC, 4-0, to close in on pacesetter Global FC in the First Division of the United Football League at the University of Makati field in Makati City.

Younghusband opened things up with a goal on the 41st minute to give his side a 1-0 lead at halftime and then completed the feat when he scored two more in a span of three-minutes starting on the 74th in the second half to help seal the Sparks’ shutout victory.

David Cortina scored the other goal on the 60th as Loyola moved closer to No. 1 Global FC, which was idle with 30 points, with 28 points on nine victories and a draw against a loss.

Younghusband’s effort hiked his total goals scored to 16, seven ahead of fellow Fil-Brit and teammate Mark Hartmann and Green Archers United FC’s Christian Floriano Jr., who have nine apiece.

It was also the second time that Younghusband scored more than three goals this season since coming up with five goals in a lopsided 14-0 demolition of Navy Red Juice FC last Feb. 19, also at the UMak.

The Armymen fell to their seventh setback against two wins and three deadlocks and, if they fail to check their skid, could lead to a possible relegation to the Second Division.

gameface_one
05-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Azkals' Etheridge frustrated over AFC ban

By Edward Lao, ABS-CBN News Europe Bureau
Posted at 05/21/2012 5:32 PM | Updated as of 05/21/2012 7:12 PM

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Azkals' first choice goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will miss the team's upcoming friendly against Malaysia this June 1 in Kuala Lumpur due to a ban handed down by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

Etheridge was given a one-match ban and a $3,000 fine by the AFC following the Azkals' match against Palestine last March in the AFC Challenge Cup.

Etheridge was not playing in that match, as he was serving a one-match suspension after getting booked for a red card in their semi-final game against Tajikistan.

Eduard Sacapano served as the Azkals' goal-keeper in the third place match, which they won 4-3 to wind up third in the tournament. It was the Azkals' best ever finish in the biennial competition.

While watching the match at the stands, Etheridge was adjudged to have behaved in an unsporting manner.

"The decisions, to be honest, were going against us and I felt they had been for the majority of the competition," Etheridge said."Being as passionate as I am, I said a few things in the stadium and a few comments were heard by the 4th official."

"He wasn't very happy about the comments and of course, he asked me to be quiet. I didn't argue with him, but 20 minutes into the game, you forget about that conversation and you're still shouting and being passionate about the Azkals winning, which I was," he added.

"They didn't like how I reacted."

Etheridge admitted that he cursed while watching the match, but insisted it was not aimed at anyone in particular.

"It wasn't directed to any individual at all. I just wanted the best for the national team, and I wanted us to get the third place, which we did in the end," he said.

After the Azkals beat Palestine, Etheridge ran to the pitch to celebrate, despite his suspension. He now realizes that he should not have done that, but pointed out inaccuracies in the AFC’s statement issued to him.

"The statement was that I refused to come off the pitch, which, if you were there, I went off the pitch straight away and walked straight to the coach, or the bus, and they said I went straight to the changing rooms," Etheridge said.

"So there was a bit of confusion."

Despite this, Etheridge said he has accepted his punishment and will not appeal the suspension, though he admits to feeling a slight injustice.

"In all honesty, I think yes, I was hard done by. It's not about the money. It's the one-game ban for me because I love playing football. I love playing for the Azkals, the national team, wearing the Filipino flag on my shirt," he said.

"So for me, it's frustrating, watching the game from a studio instead of playing it myself. But at the same time, I understand why the AFC have done this. Whether it was to prove a point or for people to say, it doesn't matter where you come from, or where you're playing, we're going to do the same for everyone," Etheridge added.

The Azkals will also be without Phil and James Younghusband in the game against Malaysia, as the brothers had previous commitments they could not back out of.

Etheridge will be working as the guest match analyst during the match coverage for ABS-CBN Sports.

Etheridge and the Younghusband brothers will be available for the Azkals in their friendly against Indonesia on June 6 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium and against Guam on June 12 at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod.

gameface_one
05-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Philippine Azkals confident ahead of Malaysia clash
By Cedelf Tupas
8:19 am | Friday, May 25th, 2012
share180 174
MANILA, Philippines — Armed with a deeper talent pool, the Philippine Azkals are still expected to field a formidable side against Malaysia in an international friendly on June 1 even without three key players.
Azkals team manager Dan Palami expressed confidence that the Azkals could get the job done at the Shah Alam Stadium in Selangor on June 1when the national side battles the reigning Suzuki Cup champion in a rematch of its showdown last February that ended in a 1-1 draw.
Brothers Phil and James Younghusband have ruled themselves out of the clash because of prior commitments, while first-choice keeper Neil Etheridge will serve a one-game suspension for his off-field actions during the third-place clash against Palestine in the AFC Challenge Cup in Nepal.
“I think we still have the players who are committed to play and are capable of getting a result against Malaysia,” said Palami.
Expected to play for the Azkals are goalkeeper Roland Muller, defenders Rob Gier, Juani Guirado, Ray Jonsson and Carli de Murga, midfielders Stephan Schrock, Angel Guirado, Paul Mulders, Manny Ott, Chieffy Caligdong and striker Denis Wolf.
Fil-Danish standouts Jerry Lucena and Dennis Cagara will beef up the Azkals lineup in the June 5 friendly against Indonesia at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.
The Azkals are currently in Bacolod for a weeklong camp that has given unheralded players like Arnie Pasinabo, Patrick Deyto, Jovanie Simpron Antonio Albor, Bervic Italia, Anto Gonzales and OJ Clarino the opportunity to earn the nod of coach Michael Weiss.
“We’re happy that these players were released by their clubs in the UFL. Commitment to the team is very important as of the moment and we are hoping they can show that in the camp,” said Palami.
Although the Younghusband brothers already left the camp Thursday, a fresh wave of players based in Europe are expected to join the team today, including defender Gier, Wolf, Ott and e Jong.
The Azkals will play in a four-team exhibition tournament starting Saturday at the Panaad Stadium that will also involve the national Under-22 team preparing for the AFC Championships in June.

gameface_one
05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Philippine Azkals confident ahead of Malaysia clash
By Cedelf Tupas
8:19 am | Friday, May 25th, 2012
share180 174
MANILA, Philippines — Armed with a deeper talent pool, the Philippine Azkals are still expected to field a formidable side against Malaysia in an international friendly on June 1 even without three key players.
Azkals team manager Dan Palami expressed confidence that the Azkals could get the job done at the Shah Alam Stadium in Selangor on June 1when the national side battles the reigning Suzuki Cup champion in a rematch of its showdown last February that ended in a 1-1 draw.
Brothers Phil and James Younghusband have ruled themselves out of the clash because of prior commitments, while first-choice keeper Neil Etheridge will serve a one-game suspension for his off-field actions during the third-place clash against Palestine in the AFC Challenge Cup in Nepal.
“I think we still have the players who are committed to play and are capable of getting a result against Malaysia,” said Palami.
Expected to play for the Azkals are goalkeeper Roland Muller, defenders Rob Gier, Juani Guirado, Ray Jonsson and Carli de Murga, midfielders Stephan Schrock, Angel Guirado, Paul Mulders, Manny Ott, Chieffy Caligdong and striker Denis Wolf.
Fil-Danish standouts Jerry Lucena and Dennis Cagara will beef up the Azkals lineup in the June 5 friendly against Indonesia at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.
The Azkals are currently in Bacolod for a weeklong camp that has given unheralded players like Arnie Pasinabo, Patrick Deyto, Jovanie Simpron Antonio Albor, Bervic Italia, Anto Gonzales and OJ Clarino the opportunity to earn the nod of coach Michael Weiss.
“We’re happy that these players were released by their clubs in the UFL. Commitment to the team is very important as of the moment and we are hoping they can show that in the camp,” said Palami.
Although the Younghusband brothers already left the camp Thursday, a fresh wave of players based in Europe are expected to join the team today, including defender Gier, Wolf, Ott and e Jong.
The Azkals will play in a four-team exhibition tournament starting Saturday at the Panaad Stadium that will also involve the national Under-22 team preparing for the AFC Championships in June.

AnthonyServinio
05-18-2013, 06:25 PM
http://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/nitro3.jpg?w=225&h=300 (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/boots-for-the-engine/)

TRY THE newest football boots from adidas and play like Dani Alves, Javi Martinez, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Daniele de Rossi. It will be available in the Philippines starting on May 20, 2013 (Monday). READ MORE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/boots-for-the-engine/).

AnthonyServinio
08-02-2013, 10:54 PM
http://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/messif50boot.jpg?w=300&h=225 (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/boots-for-the-worlds-best/)

WHAT BOOTS would best suit the feet of the best football player in the world these days? Recently, adidas launched the adizero f50 Messi, the next generation football boots designed with inspiration from the play of Argentina international forward Leo Messi of FC Barcelona. READ MORE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/boots-for-the-worlds-best/).

AnthonyServinio
01-31-2014, 07:59 PM
http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ThomasDooley.png

Thomas Dooley has been named today as the new head coach of the Philippines National Team. The new coach once skippered Team USA in the FIFA World Cup and has extensive experience as a professional player and later coach in Germany and the United States.

http://servssports.wordpress.com

AnthonyServinio
03-22-2014, 09:24 PM
http://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/messivideogame.jpg?w=300&h=225 (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/free-trip-to-brazil-2014/)

THE ULTIMATE football fan’s prize, an all-expense paid trip for two to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, is all for the taking as adidas recently launched the online video game “Fast Or Fail” featuring global superstar and adidas ambassador Lionel Messi. The game is in conjunction with the Argentina team captain’s new adizero F50 Messi boots which he debuted in a UEFA Champions League match for FC Barcelona last February. READ MORE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/free-trip-to-brazil-2014/)

AnthonyServinio
06-17-2015, 11:23 PM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/real-madrid-players.jpg?w=300&h=225 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/06/17/real-madrid-launches-2016-kits/)

FILIPINO FANS of Real Madrid can look forward to the legendary Spanish football squad’s 2015-2016 kits as designed by adidas. For the coming season they have adopted the motto “Only Perfect Counts” as winning is not enough, every victory must be perfect! READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2015/06/17/real-madrid-launches-2016-kits/)