PDA

View Full Version : Letran: NCAA Season 86 Lineup

gameFaceAdmin
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Letran: Coming Around
Was it really just the middle of the last decade that Letran was still a powerhouse in the NCAA? It seemed no one could match up against the Knights of head coach Louie Alas back then. They had wall to wall All Stars in Mark Andaya, Ronjay Enrile, Aaron Aban, Boyet Bautista, Jonathan Aldave, JP Alcaraz, Jonathan Pinera, and Eric Rodriguez. In a three-year span they won two NCAA championships, and it seemed there would be no end to it. But sic transit gloria mundis indeed.

They were still able to bring some talent up to the senior division and most of it was even homegrown right from their own Squires program. Current Smart Gilas mainstays RJ Jazul and Ray Guevarra are arguably the most prominent ones over the last couple of years. They also had Kojak Melegrito, Reymar Gutilban, Ray Dangcal (who figured in a terrible motoring accident about a year ago), John Foronda, Bryan Faundo, Alvin Cabonce, Regin Ranises, Clarence Foronda and Anjoe Latonio. It is perhaps the misfortune of this last group of Knights that they came together during that incredible grand slam title reign of San Beda. They even disputed one of San Beda’s three straight titles during this time.

Louie Alas no longer has the tall, highly talented and athletic roster he used to have. He is working with a limited deck now. But precisely because this is Letran no one should count them out. This is still a team that knows how to operate as a unit, play tough (some might say dirty) defense, pound the game into a grind-it-out affair, and even surprise the supposedly top tier teams.

Spearheading the Knights this time around are a pair of unlikely leaders: 5-foot-11 guard Kevin Alas, Louie’s boy, and 6-foot-4 power forward Jamison Cortes. Alas can shoot the lights out and has range that extends to the parking lot. Unfortunately, he has not gotten any of the easy looks he used to get in high school. All of the other shooting guards and even some of the pointguards in college are his size or bigger and stronger. He’s had to improve his ability to attack defenses with his dribble, and to use more screens than he used to.

Cortes has been a career role player, but he is now the new leader of the frontline. He has little say in the matter as the only returning big man of note. To his credit he has not shunned the role, getting good numbers in the offseason tournaments the Knights joined. He will have to be ready to do a lot of heavy lifting on his own though, since Letran is pretty thin up front. 6-foot-5 Jomar Datang may or may not be returning to the lineup.
One other returning veteran of note is JP Belencion, a 6-foot-1 gunner with an unorthodox shooting form. Belencion is a more college-ready shooter than Alas, better built and stronger, and he can play a 3/4 role in a small lineup if necessary. Belencion however is suspect on defense and winds up giving up as many points as he scores. That is quite a mouthful for a man who could easily erupt for 30 points in any given game, as he did last season.
Speaking of the Squires, their failed title run last season should give them extra motivation this season. Diminutive pointguard Mark Cruz is the new team leader.

Kevin Alas and older brother Junjun need to step up to make Letran competitive in NCAA Season 86 (Image by Joe Buduan)

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2010, 12:11 PM
The Letran Knights will parade a brand new starting 5 this season. Gone are RJ Jazul, Reymar Gutilban and Rey Guevarra to graduation. John Foronda will skip Season 86. The only returning starter is forward Jam Cortes.

ilovedhay
06-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Jeremy Roxas formerly Letran Squires will be a big suprise. Ex-USC and UPHDS Franz Dysam will be premiere point guard in the college rank.

Sam Miguel
06-25-2010, 08:40 AM
^^^ Ah, good, the emergence of Jeremy Roxas, been wondering what became of that boy.

ilovedhay
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Knock 2x

Next game JRU this monday 4pm

madude
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I bet, it will be a very close game... :)

riou
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Which unfortunately we lost... :(

ilovedhay
07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Feeling ni Taplah siya si John Wall >:( >:(

babawi tayo next game UPHDS

bugleboy
07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Mabuti naman at nanalo rin sa Perpetual. Will we be able to start a winning run with another win over San Beda next Wednesday? I'm sure a lot of students and alumni are keeping their fingers crossed on this one. The Red Lions should not sleep easy...

Regular Grey
07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Mabuti naman at nanalo rin sa Perpetual. Will we be able to start a winning run with another win over San Beda next Wednesday? I'm sure a lot of students and alumni are keeping their fingers crossed on this one. The Red Lions should not sleep easy...

Why? ;D

bugleboy
07-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Bilog ang bola. Or didn't you know that? ;)

LION
07-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Agree bugleboy. Bilog ang bola and nobody's assured of a win.

By the way, what happened to John Foronda? I believe he is still eligible to play for another year.

bugleboy
07-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Re Foronda, scuttlebutt has it that he refused to play this year, but may play again next year for his last year of eligibility. Ewan ko lang, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he does not come back considering that we may have Samigue Eman's brother next year. But for this year, we could have used another big man to complement Cortes and Almazan. Sayang...

ilovedhay
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
san beda this Wedneday (July 21) @ 4pm
calling all students and alumni. Must see game for us.
Arriba Letran !

bugleboy
07-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Awful game by the Knights today. San Beda -- led by Lanete -- came out smoking and blew us out right from the get-go.

Our boys tried to slow the game down but failed miserably as our long bombs refused to fall and we consistently got beaten off the boards. Our guards also had a terrible time orchestrating play, lapsing into at least three 24-second violations, passing errors and other horrors to just about hand San Beda the victory.

Of course, it didn't help that Kevin Alas got injured by an inadvertent tackle from Jake Pascual, but I surmise that even with Kevin, we still would not have won today. Our guys were physically present on the floor, but it appeared like their minds were elsewhere.

I hope that our boys will learn their lesson from this and come back with a vengeance next time. Never give up, never give in.

dark_blue
07-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Parang dinaga ang dibdib. Walang kwenta yung laro nila kahapon di tulad nung opening against Baste

ilovedhay
07-22-2010, 06:13 PM
bawi tayo next game versus Mapua (Friday July 30) @ 2pm
I see a winning streak after the end of 1st round

bugleboy
07-23-2010, 05:35 AM
^I hope you are right. But this Mapua team is no pushover. If we treat this game lightly, we just might get the shorter end of the stick. Good luck to the Knights on Friday! Bawi tayo!

bugleboy
07-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Whoa. Worst start by the Knights in many years. Kevin Alas did not play yesterday, and this led to a massive vacuum in the offensive end, resulting in a 66 - 51 lambasting from the Mapua Cardinals. The Knights definitely have to do some re-tooling and rethinking if they are to reach the Final Four at least. Teams like Benilde and Arellano are no pushovers either and will definitely give the Knights a run for their money.

Too early to throw in the towel, though. Arriba pa rin!

oca
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Nakakawalang gana na panoorin ang Knights with Alas as coach. Taon-taon na lang dinadaan sa "hard and tough" game, having one or two good offensive players is more of a complement.

The way things are in college basketball, recent champion teams have coaches who recruit players and fill at least half of their line-ups with players with 3 to 4 year residency. Eto si Alas, madalas 3 or less ang residency ng mga recruit niya na hindi dating Squire. Ayun ang stability ng team on a year-to-year basis ang apektado.

Kung diskarte lang, angat pa rin si Alas sa karamihan, pero yang diskarteng yan ay walang kahihinatnan kung yung mga player mo ay kulang sa skill at motivated lang to play hard and tough.

Oo, nariyan ang ayaw makipagsabayan ng Letran sa recruitment game na umiiral ngayon. Pero tanggapin na natin, kung di sasabay ang Letran, dekada ang bibilangin bago uli mag kampeon yan sa NCAA.

Imo, after this season, Letran should let go of Alas. Have a fresh start.

ESCALERA JR.
08-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Ayan din ang naiisip ko...baka panahon na nga.

But still ,medyo maaga pa para husgahan. After this season we will see kung saan position ang Letran.

If it lands at the bottom half of the ladder, dapat pagtuunan ng pansin ang recruitment...worse dapat na siguro
magpalit na rin ng coaching staff.

We still have 2 months to ponder.

oca
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Pareng Escalera... my opinion was not prompted by the Knights' current standing. It's about the "louie alas brand of play".

Whatever people say about defense as the key to winning games and even championships, the fact remains the beauty and excitement of this game is on how offense is played.

Offense is the domain of skillful players.

Now, since their last title, how many skillful players have played or is now playing for Letran? Count the years that have passed and the players worth mentioning, you will find a great anomaly-- the players worth mentioning is less than or just equal to the years since the last title. Considering the fact that teams field 16-man line-ups every year, ewan ko kung may mythical-5 kang mabubuo.

As far as team brand of play is concern, Alas' team is all about playing tough and hard bordering on the rough.

ESCALERA JR.
08-03-2010, 04:44 PM
RJ Jazul and Rey G were the last remnants of the 2005 Letran champions.
Walang pinagkaiba ito when Boyet B. and Aban were the veterans of the team that gave the
torch to the duo of Jazul.Guevarra tandem.

Magaling lang talaga dumiskarte si Alas but if only two players would be the core of a team, the best
that can be accomplished would be a runner-up finish.

Just look at the 2005 line-up. Kumpleto recados. A tall scoring center with an able back-up( Andaya/Realista, E-Rod),
Hordes of shooters that can shoot the lights out any given time(Alcaraz, Aldave, Enrile), a couple of talented and sneaky guards(Ronjay/Boyet Bautista) and an enforcer you wouldnt want to encounter in the sidestreets (Melgrito and Balneg).

It would take years before Alas can assemble a team of this caliber. What makes the team stand-out is the excellent motivation
coming fron the master tactician, however it can only go as far as the top 4.

Sana makatisod uli kami ng magaling na sentro in the mould of a Kerby Raymundo or Big Mac Andaya.

LION
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Back in the days, Alas had the monopoly of recruiting veteran players playing in leagues not called UAAP and NCAA. Thus, Alas recruited veteran and battle-ready players like Andaya, Aldave, Rodriguez, Alcaraz, etc. These were grown men battling against 18 - 20 year old players from other schools and that gave Letran the advantage.

But that monopoly was before. Bigger and richer schools are now employing this recruitment method and Letran is now realizing that the well which used to be abundant is now dry. Alas is now unable to recruit good players from his usual sources because these players are now going to schools with bigger war chests.

Even the Squires are opting to go elsewhere. Save for Kevin Alas who is the only recent blue chip player to have stayed in Letran (and obviously because it would be an embarassment for his dad if he did not stay), others like Khobuntin even picked the lowly NU over Letran.

Letran must realize that the basketball environment is changing fast. College basketball is evolving and recruitment is now very competitive. Dinosaurs who once ruled the earth became irrelevant and later on became extinct because of their inability to adapt to their new environment.

Rafiboy_05
08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Back in the days, Alas had the monopoly of recruiting veteran players playing in leagues not called UAAP and NCAA. Thus, Alas recruited veteran and battle-ready players like Andaya, Aldave, Rodriguez, Alcaraz, etc. These were grown men battling against 18 - 20 year old players from other schools and that gave Letran the advantage.

But that monopoly was before. Bigger and richer schools are now employing this recruitment method and Letran is now realizing that the well which used to be abundant is now dry. Alas is now unable to recruit good players from his usual sources because these players are now going to schools with bigger war chests.

Even the Squires are opting to go elsewhere. Save for Kevin Alas who is the only recent blue chip player to have stayed in Letran (and obviously because it would be an embarassment for his dad if he did not stay), others like Khobuntin even picked the lowly NU over Letran.

Letran must realize that the basketball environment is changing fast. College basketball is evolving and recruitment is now very competitive. Dinosaurs who once ruled the earth became irrelevant and later on became extinct because of their inability to adapt to their new environment.

nice! I guess ito na yata yung main reason/problem ng Letran pagdating sa recruitment of players.

IMHO! I think kailngan na makipagsabyan na ng Letran sa ibang schools sa pag-recruit ng blue chip players, napapag-iwanan na tayo ng ibang schools eh. baka mamaya nyan abutin rin ng ilang dekada bago tayo magchampion ulit. Yes! Meron tayong narerecruit na masasabi natin na may skill din pero hindi sapat yun. Kulang pa rin yun kung itatapat mo sila sa ibang teams na malakas ang recruitment programs.

1 more thing, yung mga Squires natin, may mga magagaling sana pero nauunahan pa tayo ng ibang schools sa kanila (parang mga Red Cubs dati, palaging sa kabilang liga ang punta). Wha can we offer sa kanila para hindi na sila umalis ng Letran? iba rin kasi yung homegrown yung players mo eh, yung after HS, sa College team na rin naglaro.

bugleboy
08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
^Re recruitment strategy, I think Letran (and other schools for that matter) have several alternatives: 1. Recruit blue-chip talents from high school and/or from abroad, 2. Recruit disgruntled or dissatisfied players from other teams, 3. Discover "under-the-radar" young talents in the provinces or elsewhere and entice them to play for the Knights and, 4. Try referrals from Letran stakeholders.

If Letran wants to go for the first alternative, there has to be a tie-up somehow with generous alumni benefactors. With all the attention (among other things) being showered by the other schools on blue-chip talents, it would take a lot of "convincing" to make these guys look our way. Now, even NU has upped the ante, with the backing of the Sy family. Are our alumni willing to approximate this? I'm happy that Mr. Oben has decided to support the Knights once again, but shouldn't other wealthy alumni pitch in as well? Will they be willing to do that despite Coach Louie's desire to have full control over the direction of the team?

It would be great if the blue chips among the Squires stay and become Knights, but these days, we can no longer rely on sheer loyalty for these boys to stay. Now, even loyalty comes with a price tag, which brings us back to the point earlier raised.

Re second alternative, Letran has already done this, and is still doing this, as LION has pointed out. In the present team, Belorio, Dysam, Cortes and Almazan are examples of these. In the past, we've had Aldave, Andaya, Alcaraz, to name a few. I think in our present Team B, we have refugees from other schools doing residency -- raring to go and show their wares. This by itself isn't such a shabby strategy as this has been employed successfully by Letran and other schools in the past.

Re "under-the-radar-talents"? Well, these come few and far between. Off the top of my head, I can recall Ateneo's Gec Chia (and perhaps, SBC's Ekwe?). I suppose you can include both Jazul and Guevarra, who weren't aggressively recruited by others after coming out of Letran high school. But this is an iffy strategy, difficult to systematize, and relies on luck and timing. I suppose an aggressive alumni network could help here, though.

This brings us to the last strategy, referrals. Now, this is a tack that's now being used aggressively by Letran. Rodil and Espiritu, for example, are referrals of Samboy Lim and Kerby Raymundo, respectively. In the past, Aban and Aldave have done their share of referrals as well, particularly to the HS team. It's a stop-gap measure, to be sure. An advantage of this is also that since the referrers were former Knights, they may have a better idea of what it takes for a player to succeed in this particular system.

Which to pick? Choose a combination or all of the above? Whatever it is that the school eventually chooses to do, I hope it chooses well.

oca
08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Why am I not surprised, walang sumegunda na palitan na si Alas (after this season).... ;D

Alas has so much pride, he will not change his approach on recruitment. At kung di niya talaga yan mababago, di na uli titikim ng kampeonato ang Knights.

bugleboy
08-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Is it pride really, or just making do with the hand one has been given? I don't profess to speak for anybody else, but what I like about Coach Louie is that he does not make excuses about the quality of his manpower. He just soldiers on and does what he can.

Will he do better, given an improvement in manpower? Of course! He has proven this already in at least three leagues, the latest of which was in the Asean Basketball League. So I will respectfully disagree with you, pareng oca, regarding your observations.

I think Coach Louie has served the school well, and deserves some slack. Axing him because of one lousy season (which isn't even a certainty yet) is, quite simply, bad form.

Of course, I am but one voice. ;)

oca
08-04-2010, 09:02 AM
There are people who are just to proud to even admit to themselves what they are not doing is no longer effective and there is a need to change. I hope I am wrong, pero yan ang tingin ko kay Louie.

What has been consistent about Alas' recruitment is he takes in mature players. Except for his son Kevin, who was the last college freshman he recruited and made part of his line-up?

Yan ang tinutukoy kong dapat niyang baguhin. Get young players with 4 to 5 year eligibility, recruit skillful hs graduates and give them spots in the roster.

Sa ngayon, a team will not become a contender if every 2 or 3 years the core of your line-up changes. You will not win championships if you have just 1 or 2 good players on the offensive end. There is no need here to "itemize and describe what kind of materials Alas has loaded in his line-up", it is all too obvious for everyone to see.

If Louie can change that, good for Letran. If he will not... or cannot, let him go.

Maliit daw ang war chest ng Letran para sumabay sa recruitment. I don't subscribe to that, di naman lahat ng kukunin mo ay blue chip. Bubuo ka ba ng isang all-star line-up?

oca
08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Cyanga pala, ulitin ko lang, nasabi kong dapat palitan na si Alas dahil nakakasawa nang panoorin yung brand of play ng Knights.

What we see oncourt is premised on the kind of players a team would have in its line-up.

That line-up is largely determined by your approach to and how you recruit players.

Now, who is the main man in recruitment and the formation of the team?

lovekoto
08-06-2010, 09:32 AM
To Mr. Oca

ask ko lang bakit gustong gusto mong pong palitan si coach louie ask ko lang may ipapalit ka po ba may irerekomenda ka ba? o ikaw ang magkocoach napakabaseless ng reason mo para palitan sya baka naman nakakalimutan mo ang naibigay na championship ni coach sa almamater letran i remind lang kita 1998,2003,2005 7 times final four na nakapasok so anung ung gusto mo na palitan sya hindi nya kasalanan kung walang nakakapasok na magaling sa atin ginagawa naman nya ang lahat eh kung yung bata na ang may ayaw diba katulad ni glenn at tampus kung mas kailangan nila ang malaking pera diba or mas magandang offer siguro hindi na yun sakop ng pagiging coach ng isang team kung gaanu kalaki ang maooffer mo stay diba as long as ginagawa mo ang lahat ung filaussie ng kabila nagpunta sa letran yun bago napunta sa kanila ginawa naman lahat ni coach para magstay eh anung magagawa natin kung mas maganda ang offer ng kabila. so wala ka reason para palitan si coach kung ang tanging rason mo eh dahil yun at yun parin every season ang knights eh dahil sa kakulangan ng suporta ng admin sana maisip mo yun

christian
08-06-2010, 10:07 AM
^toink!

ESCALERA JR.
08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
;D ;D ;D
lagot ka pareng Oca ;Dpaki-explica mo ng mabuti yan hahaha. ???

ilovedhay
08-06-2010, 05:25 PM
One of the best coach in college basketball in the country. I don't think so he will be replaced.
BTW, I'm going to watch the Letran Knights Team B tomorrow versus EARIST for the week 2 for FMC

bugleboy
08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Malayo na pala ang tinakbo ng topic na itong tungkol kay Coach Louie ha. Baka dapat ilagay na lang natin sa ibang thread. Whaddaya think, Senor Escalera Jr.?

@oca, re your query -- AFAIK, only Kirk Del Rosario was elevated into Team A straight from Letran HS prior to Kevin Alas. Ewan ko lang kung si Ronjay Enrile rin, but I'm not sure. Still, fresh HS grads mostly made it to Team B and were elevated after time spent in the training team. Names like Bautista, Jazul, Guevarra, Melegrito, Dangcal, Anabo, and the current team's Junjun Alas, Jerome Roxas, and Patrick Ang come to mind. So, when they eventually made it to Team A, they still had at least four playing years left in them.

Team officials, including Coach Louie, do run after topnotch talent for Team A (Tampus and Khobuntin being the latest ones); it's not as if Louie consciously just chooses second-tier talent for the Knights. It's just that these boys may be looking for other things that Coach, the school, and the assorted alumni boosters, etc. cannot (or will not) provide.

Kaya ko nasabi yung comment kong Coach should be appreciated for making do with whatever materials he has to work with. Walang arte, walang alibi, trabaho lang.

So I think this is more of a management dilemma rather than just a coaching dilemma.

Kaya mga Letranista: Given the situation, should we now give in and do what the others are doing? Speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)

oca
08-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Una, uulitin ko para sa mga baguhan--- MIRON ako. Kailangan ko pa ba ipaliwanag ano ang miron?

Ikalawa, yung opinyon ko ay base sa kadahilanang nakakasawa na panoorin yung istilo ng laro na pinaiiral ni Alas.

Having delivered championships for Letran during the period when basketball recruitment and building a team was a one summer activity, with the next not having anything to do with the preceding and succeeding years, Alas has done well.

That won't do now.

In a later post, I said, if Alas can change his approach to recruiting, then make him stay. But if he can't, let go of him.

Recruitment is the game a coach must play before he can even think of playing for the championship.

naz-T
08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Kirk Del Rosario is still eligible to play this season diba? bakit nawala? How about Foronda at Latonio bakit naman lumipat? Dapat ata isipin muna kung bakit ayaw na maglaro nila sa Letran bago pa pumunta ang usapan sa pag recruit. Dahil kaya sa coach? Mga eligible pa sila sa Letran pero mas pinili pa na mag sit out ng 1 year para lang lumipat sa ibang school. Hindi naman siguro pera/allowance ang dahilan ng lahat. kasi hindi naman ata masyado malaki ang budget sa allowance ng FEU.

I think Patrick Ang did not come from Letran HS team.

bugleboy
08-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Good questions, especially the one about Kirk Del Rosario. The team could really have used him as a stabilizing force at the 1 spot this year. I've heard opinions about why he opted out this year, but medyo conflicting so I don't know what to believe. Re Latonio and Clarence Foronda, I think both were dissatisfied with the playing time they were getting.

Re Patrick Ang -- I didn't say he came from Letran HS. I said he came straight from high school (in his case, Grace Christian HS) to Team B.

lovekoto
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
[quote=oca ]
There are people who are just to proud to even admit to themselves what they are not doing is no longer effective and there is a need to change. I hope I am wrong, pero yan ang tingin ko kay Louie.

What has been consistent about Alas' recruitment is he takes in mature players. Except for his son Kevin, who was the last college freshman he recruited and made part of his line-up?

Yan ang tinutukoy kong dapat niyang baguhin. Get young players with 4 to 5 year eligibility, recruit skillful hs graduates and give them spots in the roster.

Sa ngayon, a team will not become a contender if every 2 or 3 years the core of your line-up changes. You will not win championships if you have just 1 or 2 good players on the offensive end. There is no need here to "itemize and describe what kind of materials Alas has loaded in his line-up", it is all too obvious for everyone to see.

If Louie can change that, good for Letran. If he will not... or cannot, let him go.

Maliit daw ang war chest ng Letran para sumabay sa recruitment. I don't subscribe to that, di naman lahat ng kukunin mo ay blue chip. Bubuo ka ba ng isang all-star line-up?

ALAM MO OCA KUNG ALAM MO LANG KUNG PAPANU SYA MAGRECRUIT BAKA IKAW PA ANG MAGMAKAAWA NA MAGSTAY SYA NAKAKAHIYA NAMAN SAYO

oca
08-09-2010, 11:35 PM
^
What I wrote was an opinion.

But you seem to know something factual.

Why not share it?

LION
08-11-2010, 08:40 AM
ALAM MO OCA KUNG ALAM MO LANG KUNG PAPANU SYA MAGRECRUIT BAKA IKAW PA ANG MAGMAKAAWA NA MAGSTAY SYA NAKAKAHIYA NAMAN SAYO

Papano nga ba siya mag recruit ngayon? Would appreciate sharing your knowledge. :)

crazybedan
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
di kaya si coach louie alas na mismo yang kausap nyo? ;D

lovekoto
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
[quote=oca ]
^
What I wrote was an opinion.

But you seem to know something factual.

Why not share it?

what i wrote was also my opinion hanapan mo muna na isang magaling na coach ang letran bago tayo magpalit napakababaw ng dahilan mo kasi nagsasawa ka na sa play eh di huwag kang manuod kung sya ang coach

BedanRoar
08-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Oo nga, may katwiran ka dun lovekoto. ;)

lovekoto
08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
ang point dito kasi is hindi lang naman ang coach ang nagdadala sa isang team the player, the admin kaya sana huwqag lang isisi sa headcoach pondohan mo mr. oca ang team hanapan mo ng magaling na kapalit para wala ka pong masabi ikaw ang mag manager

LION
08-12-2010, 02:06 PM
ang point dito kasi is hindi lang naman ang coach ang nagdadala sa isang team the player, the admin kaya sana huwqag lang isisi sa headcoach pondohan mo mr. oca ang team hanapan mo ng magaling na kapalit para wala ka pong masabi ikaw ang mag manager

As far as I know, the support given by the Letran admin then when the Knights was the top NCAA basketball team is still the same support being given now.

By the way, it's the alumni who are crucial and not the admin. Almost all schools have limited support for their basketball programs. Everything is almost funded by the aumni. I'm sure the men of old Letran can rise to the challenge and provide the necessary funding. It's up to the coach to reach out to the alumni.

oca
08-13-2010, 12:27 AM
what i wrote was also my opinion hanapan mo muna na isang magaling na coach ang letran bago tayo magpalit napakababaw ng dahilan mo kasi nagsasawa ka na sa play eh di huwag kang manuod kung sya ang coach

If you had bothered to read each of my post on this specific topic, i clearly laid the predicate why I said Alas should be replaced. Meron din akong sinabi patungkol sa pagpapanatili sa kanya. While it was detailed, you're not agreeable to that opinion on the ground that you see no worthy replacement.

Ngayon, kung sino ang ipapalit sa kanya, eto ang masasabi ko:

"Sino ba si Alas bago niyo siya kinuha para maging head coach ng Knights?"

Nakatsamba lang ba kayo sa pagkuha sa kanya, o talagang marunong kumilatis yung nagdesisyon na kunin siyang HC?

Honestly and sincerely, I prefer to believe the latter.

lovekoto
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
oca so ang point mo eh talagang palitan sya kasi nagsasawa ka sa play na eh sinu ba din ang almamter natin bago dumating si louie alas
diba unang stint pa lang nya as head coach nya nagchampion na. so ang masasabi ko lang may kanya kanya tayong opinion para sa almamater natin uulitin kon hindi ako pabor na palitan sya as headcoach as of this time dahil kailangan pa sya ng letran

oca
08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Yes, kanya-kanyang opinion tayo. Let's leave it at that.

Now, I wish that Letran wins another title under Alas with same kind of recruitment he is doing, just to prove me wrong.

Bilang isang miron, I always like to have my statements validated or invalidated.

Good luck for the rest of your season and the next and the next and the next and the next.... under Alas, with the same type of players being recruited.

franz_inwurdz
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
ok lang yan oca, 1 less team to worry about. ;)

dark_blue
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
makisali ako ;D

@lovekoto

Uh, ikaw na rin ang nagsabi na may kanya-kanya tayong opinyon. Pero parang sa lahat ng post mo eh medyo naiinis ka kung may nagsasabi dito na palitan si kots. :) As if naman na katapusan na ng Letran MBT kapag nawala si Alas. Tandaan, yung mga past championships ng Knights, ang HC eh graduate ng Letran. Baka pwede rin tayong bumalik dun kung sakaling dumating ang time na umalis si Alas sa Knights.

Uh, pwede kaya si Samboy Lim as HC?

Kung ako ang tatanungin, sa tingin ko hindi pa siguro time ni kots na umalis.

franz_inwurdz
08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
eh sinu ba din ang almamter natin bago dumating si louie alas

ewan ko lang kung palampasin to ng mga Kuya mong Letranista. ::).

bugleboy
08-13-2010, 05:32 PM
@dark_blue -- Hindi naman lahat ng champion coaches ng Letran ay mga Letranista. For example, Coach Gabby Fajardo was a Thomasian (though he was also an Algebra professor at Letran whose son played for the Knights). Coach Binky Favis, who led Letran to one championship in the 90s, was also a Thomasian. Still another Thomasian was Jacinto "Jumpin' Jack" Ciria Cruz (Letran coach during the '30s).

@lovekoto -- Coach Louie has so far contributed three crowns out of the 16 that the school has. I don't think it is fair to denigrate the contributions of other coaches like Larry Albano or Nemie Villegas just to lift Louie's stature. Let's give each of these guys the respect and the accolades they deserve.

On a more sober note, olats na naman tayo, this time against Arellano. This was an eminently winnable game that slipped out of our fingers because of spotty decision-making in the end-game and terrible free-throw shooting. I'm still hoping, though, that the team can still pull itself together to make a serious bid for the F4 come the second round. Arriba pa rin!

ilovedhay
08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I still believe in Coach Louie Alas. Talagang nasa rebuilding stage pa lang talaga sila after the lost of Rey Guevarra and RJ Jazul.

ESCALERA JR.
08-14-2010, 04:44 PM
We have been touted as a rebuilding team since the exodus of the core of the 2005 team. We should start to lay the cornerstone
around a player who will be playing for the team for at least 3-4yrs. By the time Jam Morales becomes ripe to lead the team, patapos na ang tenure niya.

I can see a future in the 6'7" Almazan kid...give him an able back-up, a couple of shootiers and a reliable point guard, then we're back in business by the
time we host the NCAA in '12.

Lets say,... give coach Alas until the end of his contract, then we'll pick up from there.

dark_blue
08-14-2010, 05:51 PM
We have been touted as a rebuilding team since the exodus of the core of the 2005 team. We should start to lay the cornerstone
around a player who will be playing for the team for at least 3-4yrs. By the time Jam Morales becomes ripe to lead the team, patapos na ang tenure niya.

I can see a future in the 6'7" Almazan kid...give him an able back-up, a couple of shootiers and a reliable point guard, then we're back in business by the

Lets say,... give coach Alas until the end of his contract, then we'll pick up from there.

Who's Jam Morales?

Yung VJ Espiritu, pwede rin maging shooter ito.

Point guard...Franz Dysam is already a shoo in. What he needs is a backup. Maybe next year, Raffy Gusi can do that job.

bugleboy
08-14-2010, 09:01 PM
^Singer iyon noong '80s. Escalera Jr. is just betraying his age. ;D Seriously though, I think he's referring to Jam Cortes.

Re Dysam, he's good but he needs to rein in his eagerness sometimes. But the spirit is there, and that's what I like. Re Espiritu, mukhang may ibubuga rin itong batang ito. Ditto with Rodil and Belorio.

BedanRoar
08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
^Singer iyon noong '80s. Escalera Jr. is just betraying his age. ;D Seriously though, I think he's referring to Jam Cortes.

Re Dysam, he's good but he needs to rein in his eagerness sometimes. But the spirit is there, and that's what I like. Re Espiritu, mukhang may ibubuga rin itong batang ito. Ditto with Rodil and Belorio.

hahahaha....Crush ni Brod Escalera si Jam Morales, di pa rin malimutan ;D

oca
08-15-2010, 03:36 AM

Jam Morales aside, kailan matatapos ang contrata ni Alas?

zoom2k7
08-15-2010, 06:24 AM
kaya siguro gustong palitan ni mr.oca si alas kasi naboboring na siguro sya sa laban ng RL vs LK, kasi lagi daw talo yun LK gusto nya siguro maging mas exciting game... ;D

yup i agree with mr.oca mahilig kasi si coach alas sa mga players na 2 years or less na lang ang eligibility mas maganda nga talaga kung may core players ang team lets say mga atleast 6 players na magkakasabay or magkakasama sa loob ng 3 or more years.

oca
08-15-2010, 08:19 AM
^
I never said anything about the losing.

Just to reiterate, it's about the style of play which is greatly determined by the type of players he recruits. What a team can and will do on court is premised on the collective skills of the players and its cohesion.

For cohesion, that's something influenced by how long the players have been playing together. As you have stated, mas maganda kung magkakasama at nagkakasabay ng matagal ang core ng isang team.

And please, let's not speak of marginal players who were in the line-up for 3 or more years. A marginal player can't be part of any core in any line-up in any league.

christian
08-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Point guard...Franz Dysam is already a shoo in. What he needs is a backup. Maybe next year, Raffy Gusi can do that job.

That's explains where Gusi went.

ESCALERA JR.
08-15-2010, 05:18 PM
[
Who's Jam Morales?

Ooops. Jam CORTES pala yun!

ESCALERA JR.
08-15-2010, 05:21 PM

hahahaha....Crush ni Brod Escalera si Jam Morales, di pa rin malimutan ;D

;D ;) ;D ::)wala parin papalit k Miss Tapia ;Dbwhahahah

ilovedhay
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Letran Knights won today over EAC 88 - 65

Rafiboy_05
08-20-2010, 08:34 PM
something is wrong sa team. 30+ TO's ang JRU pero natambakan pa rin tayo (76-60 final score) nakakagulat yun ha. kung maliit ang lamang ok lang pero 16pts? Shocked kakaiba yun.

oca
08-21-2010, 07:41 AM
something is wrong sa team. 30+ TO's ang JRU pero natambakan pa rin tayo (76-60 final score) nakakagulat yun ha. kung maliit ang lamang ok lang pero 16pts? Shocked kakaiba yun.

TOs were the result of the usual tough and hard D of the Knights. Pero pag nasa inyo na ang bola at naitawid na nang midcourt, skill sets sa offense will have to take over. As pointed out in other posts at another thread, dyan kulang ang mga bata ni Alas.

Basketball is a skills game. Playing tough and hard is a mind set, but at most it only complements the collective skills of the players.

Alas much re-think what type of players he recruits.

At iikot muli ang usapan....

ESCALERA JR.
08-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Litaw na litaw na ang kakulangan ng materyales ng team. A good coach can only do so much. The last 3-4 years, Alas has been given accolades as one of the best college tactician that can turn a ragtag team into a unique never say die squad. Save for 1 or 2 'good' players, he can mould the supporting cast to compliment his annointed stars, and do wonders.
But somehow, times have change. The whole community (Alumni, team managers, admin.) should all step up and do their share. Hindi dapat i-asa sa coach ang success ng team.
With the way things are going, i am sure meron ng gumagalw na mga kamay para maibalik ang dating saya sa letran gallery.

lekiboy
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Litaw na litaw na ang kakulangan ng materyales ng team. A good coach can only do so much. The last 3-4 years, Alas has been given accolades as one of the best college tactician that can turn a ragtag team into a unique never say die squad. Save for 1 or 2 'good' players, he can mould the supporting cast to compliment his annointed stars, and do wonders.
But somehow, times have change. The whole community (Alumni, team managers, admin.) should all step up and do their share. Hindi dapat i-asa sa coach ang success ng team.
With the way things are going, i am sure meron ng gumagalw na mga kamay para maibalik ang dating saya sa letran gallery.

I have to agree with escalera, mga repapips...you need a reliabel big man and a consistent shooter. yun lang, ayos na ulit.

ilovedhay
08-25-2010, 06:36 AM
kailangan na ba natin ng import? lol

LION
08-25-2010, 08:44 AM

You will need alumni support for this.

franz_inwurdz
08-25-2010, 03:21 PM

You will need alumni support for this.

according to a Letran benefactor I know, si Alas daw ang may ayaw. We talked last season. I don't know now?

ilovedhay
08-25-2010, 07:21 PM
All I can say is bye bye for final 4 this season 86 for Letran. We lost to Mapua today 61 - 58

The_Big_Cat
08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
So when was the last time the Letran Knights missed out the Final Four?
I think Letran has the record for most consecutive Final Four appearances in the NCAA.

Rafiboy_05
08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
So when was the last time the Letran Knights missed out the Final Four?
I think Letran has the record for most consecutive Final Four appearances in the NCAA.

2002 sir. nung time na bumalik si Alas sa Letran

bugleboy
09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Knights vs. the unbeaten San Beda Red Lions on Friday. This early, the Bedans are already chalking up win no. 15. I do hope, though, that Coach Louie and the boys give them a good fight. If Kevin plays like he did vs. Benilde, Belencion shoots the lights out, Dysam brings his A-game, and Cortes is able to get his groove going, this may be interesting. Otherwise, if they play like they did in the first round, then this will be one loooooong game for us.

Admittedly, too many stars have to be aligned for us to be able to pull this one off. Still, one can hope that the old Letran fighting spirit will fire up these boys.

Arriba pa rin! Laban!

ilovedhay
09-23-2010, 08:29 PM
This is just the beginning for us. Learning experience para sa season na ito. Abangan next year but Letran ang challenge nila against the Lions is to end their losing slump since second round of 2007.

Arriba Letran! 8)

bugleboy
09-25-2010, 06:26 AM
^Learning experience, indeed. Foul trouble, fatigue and the overall lack of offensive sock did the boys in yesterday as the Red Lions broke open a tight game to win going away. Despite the loss, congratulations are due to the Knights. Unlike the first game, they showed more fight this time. Eyes right, guys. No shame in this loss.

BTW, congratulations to the Red Lions. Looks like the coast is clear for a clean sweep this season. Arriba! Animo!

oca
09-25-2010, 07:33 AM
^Learning experience, indeed. Foul trouble, fatigue and the overall lack of offensive sock did the boys in yesterday as the Red Lions broke open a tight game to win going away. Despite the loss, congratulations are due to the Knights. Unlike the first game, they showed more fight this time. Eyes right, guys. No shame in this loss.

BTW, congratulations to the Red Lions. Looks like the coast is clear for a clean sweep this season. Arriba! Animo!

Glad that a Letranite would point this one out.

Alas will simply have to recruit players with shooting or scoring skills to address this. Enough of the "matikas at matigas at matapang maglaro".

I saw your Team B, it has...overall lack of offensive sock. Ewan ko ano magbabago sa make-up ng team ng Knights next season with the kind of players they have at Team B.

Alas has won 3 (or is it 4?) championships for Letran in 10 years. Next season he may just set a record for the school in failing to make the F4 back-to-back.

oca
09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
http://www.ncaa.org.ph/season86/basketball/teamstats.php

Statistical ranking among 9 teams:

-- 7th in FG %

-- 6th in 3-pt FG%

-- 9th in FT% ???

-- 5th in Rebounds per game

-- 9th in Assists per game ???

-- 2nd in Steals per game !!!!

-- 6th in Blocks per game

-- 3rd in Turnovers per game ??? (beaten by EAC for 2nd by a margin of 0.3!)

-- 1st in Total Fouls committed per game ???

ilovedhay
09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
The road to glory to season 87 starts today, 2010 PCCL Zonals, FMC and Summer Leagues. Sigurado 1-2 weeks na pahinga yan. Madami atang wingmen at guard si coach.

LION
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
You will be missing Belencion and another man next year. Who will take their place and lead you to the glory road?

Perhaps the younger brother of Eman Samigue and Raffy Gusi?

ilovedhay
09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
You will be missing Belencion and another man next year. Who will take their place and lead you to the glory road?

Perhaps the younger brother of Eman Samigue and Raffy Gusi?

Season 87 will be the break out year ni Kevin Alas. Madami din syang na-miss na game this season 86 due to injuries. Learning experience ang nanyari for season 86 and they really miss the services of Rey Guevarra, RJ Jazul, John Foronda, Kirk Del Rosario and Reymar Gutilban.

Wala kasi pwedeng asahan sa current line up ngayon except for Kevin. Si JP Belencion shooter nga pero mas madaming off night keysa magandang laro (Trigger happy kasi >:()

Yung Eman wala na sa Letran nasa NU na ulit. Si Raffy Gusi at Jerome Delgado formerly staglets na Letran Team B

albhaniroshi
10-20-2010, 06:03 PM
NApakatahimik naman dito sa thread natin. gising gising Letranites!