PDA

View Full Version : Mapua: NCAA Season 86 Lineup

gameFaceAdmin
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Mapua: No Time like the Present

When the Mapua Tech Cardinals last won an NCAA championship, their head coach and his assistants were still playing. Back in the 2007 season, Mapua almost made a return trip to the Finals behind that season’s Most Valuable Player, Kelvin De La Pena. They’ve had quite a few talented players come over in the last five years or so, but it was never enough to get them to the Big Dance.

This generation of Cardinals however must take one last stand, one last time, because it could be quite a while before they can get competitive again. Last season, with a much-diminished lineup, the Cardinals still scared the living daylights out of a few contenders. A lot of the current Cardinal veterans were still learning the ropes and cutting their teeth with the superstars of season past. They learned to be patient, and to always look for weaknesses even in the strongest of opponents. They nearly upended reigning champion San Sebastian in the eliminations last season.

For head coach Chito “Pistolero” Victolero, he knows that the core of the Mapua roster he has now must take their game to the next level. “They are all veterans now, and this could be the best chance for them to at least return to the Final 4,” Victolero said in one off-season interview. 5-foot-9 guard Allan Mangahas might be the most critical piece of this puzzle. Mangahas was a high-profile prospect coming out of the Philippine Christian University junior ranks. He learned to play the backcourt with De La Pena, Ian Mazo and Hermes Sumalinog, and he has become one of the most accomplished sentinels in the league. A lot rests on his shoulders because he controls the tempo, calls out the opposing defenses, and is generally acknowledged as the team’s leader.

A slew of other veterans are ready to become stars this season. Up front, there are a pair of unorthodox centers who need to step up to challenge the tall timber of opposing teams. 6-foot-6 Mark Sarangay is already a college journeyman at such a relatively young age. He initially landed on the De La Salle roster in the UAAP. He then transferred to San Beda and spent a year and a half on the B Team. 6-foot-5 Jason Pascual is a banger on one end and a bomber on the other. Vastly improved 6-foot-5 Mike Parala might prove to be the answer.

A bunch of guards who swarm like hornets return for one more shot at glory as well: 5-foot-8 Andretti Stevens, 5-foot-9 TG Guillermo, 5-foot-10 Rodel Raneses and 6-foot Erwin Cornejo. All of them can pass, handle and shoot but must improve their end-game composure. Stevens must prove he can play with his off-hand as well as his strong hand or opposing defenses will just show him his off-side and dare him to beat them. Raneses, Guillermo and Cornejo cannot take turns waxing hot and must strive for volley fire to ease the pressure of their thin frontline.
In the junior division, the Malayan Tech Red Robins might pull a few surprises this season. For the longest time they have been the whipping boys of the best high school basketball league in the country, but this could all change in Season 86. Head coach Randy Alcantara may finally have the personnel and the system to reverse the fortunes of the Robins. Forward Ian Valdez, swingman Andrew Billera and guard Rodolfo Alejandro had a great summer season and should surprise the NCAA.

The frontline tandem of Mark Sarangay and Jason Pascual need to deliver in Season 86

Mike Parala has paid his dues and should be ready for the Season 86 wars

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I think this is the last year for Erwin Cornejo, TG Guillermo, Macky Acosta and Jason Pascual.

christian
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
What happened to Soriano?

toti_mendiola
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Tinanan ata ni nap.

christian
06-18-2010, 04:14 PM
hahaha buti hindi ka sumama? ;D

bydpogi
06-21-2010, 01:43 AM
I have watched Mapua in some Summer League Games and I will share what I have noticed.

1. Coach Victolero uses all his guys in the games I watched, I think to give confidence to the rookies and to see who will be in his rotation in the upcoming NCAA

2. Rookies, Raymark Cabrera is a speedster tsaka malaki ang katawan na pwede ng bumangga sa mga physical guards only knack to his game is walang shooting. But I don’t see him in the rotation yet, as Banal is coming back and Stevens will be the main back up. Kenneth Ighalo I remember the once Red Robin and MBA journeyman Jeffrey Sanders, both can play good defense, nothing really special to their games but both are tireless workers. I don’t see him in the rotation as he plays 3 or 4 spot which is nilalaruan ni Pascual at Acosta. Garay and Layug sorry I have’nt watch them, but I have seen them in the sidelines and both are long around 6’5 but still lanky for inside banging in the NCAA

3. Comeback kid Jonathan Banal, I think hindi sya ganun kagaling tulad ng dati, maybe he lost a step or hindi lang talaga sinasagad ni coach Chito ang playing time nya. In 3 games that I watched hindi sya lumalampas ng 18 minutes per game, sa crucial stages nga ng laro si Stevens pa ang ginagamit

4. Surprise of the year I think will go to Mark Sarangay. He bulked up and still possess that tenacity underneath the boards. If he can only learn some hook shot I think he will be lethal to the Cardinals campaign this year

5. This is Macky Acosta’s team now, I think if Macky keeps his cool medyo pikon kasi sya and just think of playin Ball eh marami sya pahihirapan, inside outside ang laro nya and he’s a legit 6’3 match up problem sya sa ibang teams

6. Allan Mangahas is still inconsistent, there are games he will explode for 2o plus points and may games din naman na mawawala sya. And he is error prone, yun lang talagang magaling tong bata at malaki ang kumpyansa ng Coach.

7. Back ups Guillermo/Cornejo/Ranises/Stevens all of them are a year older, so expect some improvements and contributions from them, they should stabilize the 1,2,3 positions of the 2nd unit

I think this Mapua team is a Final Four team, intact ang team at medyo nag peak na ang laro nitong last summer games nila,konting swerte lang sa end games eh siguro papasok to sa Final Four. Execution is the key, sabi nga ni coach Chito. Side notes, that Taha guy is really big he is even taller than Sarangay and has wider body, I’m really excited in seeing him next year.
;) ;) ;)

Sam Miguel
06-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Mapua needs to find consistency. Last season they actually had a lot of close games that could have gone their way had they only executed well enough all the way to the end-game. I believe Joe's article above is spot on: this is actually Allan Mangahas's team to lead now, more than Maki Acosta's. Acosta is a solid forward who crashes the boards and can hit the long ball, but he just does not have that leadership demeanor that Mangahas has. Looking back at Season 85 and the Fr Martin Cup of the second semester last year, Mangahas was the one looking to take the big shots to win the game, and if it didn't fall he was still entrusted by the coaches to keep taking it. Acosta isn't like that.

Are Paul Cinco and Kevin Espinosa still with the team?

st_ang3r
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
i think they are back with our team b

BedanRoar
08-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Cardinals complete improbable comeback, edge Knights
by inboundpass

THE WORDS “never give in, never give up” are stitched at the back of Colegio de San Juan de Letran’s practice jerseys. Unfortunately, its neighbors in Intramuros caught a glimpse of it and took the lead from there.

Mapúa Institute of Technology put that popular axiom on display as it came back from the dead to steal a crucial game away from the Knights, 63-60 in NCAA Season 86 at the Arena in San Juan City last Wednesday, August 25.

Erwin Cornejo and Macky Acosta led a huge Cardinal uprising that cut down a 14-point lead with three minutes remaining in the ballgame. The two final-year cagers slowly chipped away at the lead, thanks in part to Letran entering the penalty with three minutes left. A third Cardinal in his final year of eligibility, TG Guillermo, scored on an uncontested lay-up off a steal to cut the lead to eight after Kevin Alas fouled out of the game with 2:26 remaining.

Just after the two-minute warning, Cornejo was called for an unsportsmanlike foul on Franz Dysam during an inbounds play. Dysam was only able to convert one free throw and the Cardinals secured the rebound, which led to a Cornejo triple. Dysam split another pair of charities to hand the Knights a seven-point bubble, but a second trey by Cornejo and an Andretti Stevens lay-up trimmed the Letran advantage to two, 60-58.

Dysam had yet another chance to seal the deal for the Knights, but missed both his charities after being fouled. The ensuing possession was tension filled, as Mapúa rookie Kenneth Ighalo ended up with an offensive rebound of a miss and found a wide-open Acosta for the go-ahead three-pointer to put the Cards on top, 61-60.

Letran had one last chance to take the game but Dysam’s layup with four seconds remaining clanged harmlessly off the iron. Acosta controlled the rebound before getting fouled. Two free throws and one desperation heave later, the Cardinals had managed to rise from the ashes to stay within two games of third-placed Jose Rizal University at 6-4.

Cornejo led Mapúa for a second straight game with 18 points. Alas, meanwhile, paced the Knights with 13.

The Knights, who have never endured a losing season in coach Louie Alas’ nine years in Muralla, fell to 3-7. Under Alas’ watch, Letran has missed the Final Four only once (2002), the year it went 7-7. W2

The scores:

Mapúa 63 – Cornejo 18, Acosta 11, Guillermo 11, Pascual 5, Sarangay 4, Mangahas 4, Ighalo 4, Banal 3, Stevens 3, Ranises 0, Layug 0, Maniego 0.

Letran 60 – K. Alas 13, Dysam 10, Belencion 9, J. Alas 9, Taplah 8, Cortes 6, Espiritu 3, Almazan 2, Belorio 0.

Quarter scoring: 13-20, 22-36, 37-48, 63-60.

st_ang3r
08-29-2010, 04:16 PM
^^nice win. buti nalang minalas letran sa last 3min ng game. acosta and mangahas needs to be consistent

littlebrownman
08-30-2010, 09:55 PM
nice post bedanroar, grabe update mo sa MIT Cards huh, keep it up bro... Go Beda fight!

bhinov
08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Post ko lang roster natin sa Fr. Martins

Yousef Taha
Jeson Cantos
Waylon Nibaten
Dingdong Lamosa
Jumel Chien
Kevin Espinosa
Darrel Magsigay
Ran Cantana

mangtsito
09-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Stevens has got to practice shooting. He's pretty good on defense and could already move well, but an added offensive weapon in his arsenal would spell a big difference for his team.

bhinov
09-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I agree sir. Si Jonathan Banal lang ang may shooting sa tatlong PG's na nasa lineup namin ngayon.