PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 NBA Finals: The LA Lakers vs. The Boston Celtics

MonL
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Let's Bring It On!!!

Capsule Preview of the Finals, courtesy of Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinalscapsule

But hey, a lot of analysts lost their shirts betting on Cleveland and Orlando to win. ;D

Celtics have "ubuntu" as their team motto, thanks to Doc Rivers, who adopted it for Boston.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtpePErVbRrH5xgwqjYu7iWezIx4?slug=ap-celtics-ubuntu&prov=ap&type=lgns

Pero pang long term ito.

For the season about to close, pwedeng "End The Long Wait in 2008."

Parang "End 28 at 82." ;D

It "sings," so it will be. ;D

Can Boston "Do It Again In 2010?"

It "sings" as well, so....... :D

yungha
06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
seems like everything i read is about the lakers - kobe seeking his 5th ring, revenge for the 2008 finals, the ugly incident in boston in 2008 when the laker bus was mobbed by boston fans, how this could be phil's last season, is kobe as good as micheal, etc. it's like this finals is a lakers show and the celts are just afterthoughts. expect kobe to get away with hard shoves, elbows and cheap shots while perk gets called for ticky tack fouls.

agree with the article, though, ray allen will be the x-factor. let's hope he gets to summon Jesus Shuttlesworth one more time.

pio_valenz
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
It will be a tough series. Kobe has shown he is still the best player in the postseason and can close out an opponent singlehandedly. The Celtics, on the other hand, are really in a groove right now. You can just see how confident they are. Sometimes I think they're even more confident than they were in '08. But it will be interesting to see how much a factor Ron Artest wil be, and if Pau Gasol can prove that he has really shed his "soft" image. Right now I'd say he has a slight edge over KG if only because KG has slowed down since '08 while Gasol is now fully integrated into the Laker system.

IMHO the Lakers have a shallow bench. After Lamar Odom, there really aren't too many reliable players. I expect Boston to pound it inside, get the Lakers key players in foul trouble, and force PJax to use his bench more.

If the Celts can steal one of the first two games at Staples, then I think they're gonna win it in six.

tigerman
06-02-2010, 02:45 PM
As much as I despite the Celtics because of the "I'll get in the face of euro players and those smaller than me" antics of KG, Paul "The wheelchair loves me" Pierce and the fact that they beat my Magic, I'll still root for whichever team the Lakers face. ;D

Black Mamba is currently having one of his best postseason run but the Celtic team defense is one of the best stat-wise and by reputation. Let's see if Kobe could erase that series-long awful shooting that he had against Boston 2 years ago.

Rajon Rondo this year is not the same Rajon Rondo that the Lakers faced in 2008. His tremendous improvement makes Boston a "big 4" and not "big 3" team anymore.

I'll go with Boston in 5. I find it hard not to pick the team that destroyed the two best teams in the league record-wise.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

A-boy97
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Hard to admit it but the Lakers have the best basketball player in the planet right now; Kobe Bryant!(Sorry folks, Lebron in my humble opinion, cannot be considered yet.) The Lakers arguably has the best coach in NBA history in Phil Jackson. They also have the best big man player in Europe in Pau Gasol. They are explosive and fun to watch.

So I guess, it is a no-brainer who to pick to be the NBA Champs.... Boston Celtics, the best TEAM in the NBA! ;D ;D

I think the Celts need to win twice in LA to win the crown. If they could split the first two games or win them both, then they will be in good shape. It would be very difficult, almost near impossible, for the Celts to win all 3 games in TD Garden. The Lakers are just that well-coached(and they do not have those huge egos anymore like the meltdown of the Karl Malone-Payton circa) to lose 3 straight games, even if they are on the road.

This series would be fun and I'm just excited to watch this rivalry unfold. Finally, we'll see a series wherein the team and the history are bigger than any individual player or coach.

Celtics in 5 or 7! Beat LA, Celtic Mystique all the way! ;)

yungha
06-02-2010, 11:27 PM
IMHO the Lakers have a shallow bench. After Lamar Odom, there really aren't too many reliable players. I expect Boston to pound it inside, get the Lakers key players in foul trouble, and force PJax to use his bench more.

we need to find a way to get vujacic and walton to play more.

fujima04
06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Ang ingay ng mga Celtics Fans and/or Lakers Haters dito.

Partida, wala pa si Pareng DK niyan. ;D

Lakers in 6. :D

pio_valenz
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM

we need to find a way to get vujacic and walton to play more.

More than Sasha and Walton, it's imperative that Adam Morrison get some meaningful minutes.

atenean_blooded
06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
This will be an interesting series. As Kobe said, this is also going to be a good test of how much they've grown as a team.

The Lakers have fared pretty well vis-a-vis the Celtics ever since they lost the championship in 2008. On the other hand, Boston just might be peaking at the right time.

GO LAKERS! ONE BIG FIGHT!

The_Big_Cat
06-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Phil Jackson is like 30-0 when winning game 1 of a playoff series, which is the NBA all-time leader.

The keys here for LA are Ron Artest and Pau Gasol. In 2008, Paul Pierce was running wild against the defense of Vladimir Radmanovic and Luke Walton. This year the Lakers have the luxury of putting one of the best defensive players this decade, Ron Artest, on Paul Pierce. Pau Gasol is a different player today compare 2 years ago while KG has lost a step or two.

The keys for the Celts are Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins and the bench.

I see my Celts winning in 7 long games. But if they come up with a win in one of the 1st two games, I see this ending quickly in 5 games at Boston.

Jeep
06-03-2010, 09:30 PM
like many C's fans here, i agree -- and am hopeful -- that winning at least 1 of games 1 or 2 will give the celts the upper hand and take away whatever homecourt advantage the lakers have. double P and co. have had a great road record all season long, and they're going to rely on sounding out the hostile crowd to pull a W in LA.

and while it would be great to win at home, with more games in LA, heck, it'd be a lot more fun to win it all on the lakers' floor, dontcha think? ;)

A-boy97
06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Before the Finals start, these are some intangibles that might swing the series in favor of the Celtics or the Lakers.

1. Injuries - After a long season, most of the players are not 100%. Will Kobe and Bynum's knee hold up? Will the back of Sheed and Rondo remain healthy? Any injuries to either key players of both teams would surely destroy the series.

2. Supporting Cast - Bynum and Artest were not in the 2008 team. Will they make a difference? As for the Celtics, Sheed and Baby Davis(although he was in the 2008 team, I do not think he played a single game) will be key in controlling the tall Laker frontline.

3. Home-court advantage - Boston had it in 2008 and it was, IMHO, very important back then. The Celts suck on the road during the 2008 playoffs. However, the 2010 Celts are awesome on the road. On the flipside, the Lakers have been invinsible at home. Can the best home team of 2010 hold off the best road team of 2010?

4. Redemption vs. Tradition - No doubt the Lakers want to get back at the Celtics. For Kobe to be considered the best-ever Laker, he NEEDS to beat Boston. For all his accomplishments, only Magic and Kareem can say they beat the Celtics. On the other hand, the Celtics feel they are still the true defending champs. Celtic Pride(and the mystique of that Leprechaun ;D) has always been a trademark of the Celtics. This cast of Celtic players are no different. KG, Paul, Ray, Sheed, and even Rondo embody this kind of philosophy. These guys are in it to win it and with all the "experts" giving up on this Celtic team before the playoffs started, they have lit a contagious fire in the hearts of these guys.

stonecold316
06-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Lakers win Game 1 of the NBA finals by playing physical against the Celtics.

Tough Lakers beat Boston 102-89 in NBA finals opener
06/04/2010 | 12:07 PM

LOS ANGELES So the Celtics want to play rough again? Kobe Bryant and the Lakers look ready this time around, and they barged into an early lead in the NBA finals.

Bryant scored 30 points, Pau Gasol had 23 points and 14 rebounds, and defending champion Los Angeles got tough in a 102-89 victory over Boston in the NBA finals opener Thursday night.

Ron Artest scored 15 points after tumbling to the ground in a tangle with Paul Pierce in the opening minute of the 12th finals meeting in the NBA's most scintillating rivalry. Bryant and Gasol then led a gritty physical effort against the Celtics, who memorably pushed around the Lakers while winning their 2008 finals matchup in six games.

Pierce scored 24 points and Kevin Garnett added 16 after a slow start for the Celtics, who might not want to know Lakers coach Phil Jackson's teams in Los Angeles and Chicago have won 47 straight playoff series after winning Game 1.

Game 2 is Sunday night at Staples Center.

If the first 48 minutes of the rematch are any indication, this series again will be a knockdown, drag-out physical confrontation and the supposedly finesse-oriented Lakers held their ground early.

Ray Allen scored 12 points in just 27 minutes, saddled with constant foul trouble while trying to guard Bryant. Pierce also picked up early fouls, while Garnett simply struggled, going 7 for 16 from the field and grabbing just four rebounds even inexplicably missing an open layup with 5 1/2 minutes to play.

That's mostly because of Gasol, the Spanish 7-footer determined to assert himself after admittedly getting pushed around by Garnett two years ago. Gasol capped a strong game by sprinting downcourt and catching a long pass in stride for a dunk with 6:21 to play.

This one was rough from the opening tumble.

Just 27 seconds in, Artest and Pierce got double technical fouls after crashing to the court back-to-back with elbows locked. The mood didn't improve much in a game featuring 54 fouls, but Bryant's playmaking and the Lakers' inside advantages drove them to a 20-point lead after three quarters before surviving Boston's final run.

Los Angeles outrebounded the Celtics 42-31 and put up a strong shooting percentage until a fourth-quarter slump, again excelling at the their two biggest areas of strength in this postseason.

Andrew Bynum scored 10 points on his injured right knee as the Lakers improved to 9-0 at home in the playoffs, with 12 straight postseason home wins dating to last year's championship run. AP

LION
06-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Lakers hold serve.

Celtics can still get the 2nd game. They need to start aggressively and control the tempo early. Shock and awe. Be more physical and give good hard fouls.

yungha
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
mahirap, walang butaw sa lakers. everyone's a threat. boston might just have to concede kobe's points and lock up on gasol, bynum, artest, odom and fisher.

pio_valenz
06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The Lakers are not gonna shoot that well for the rest of the series. And the Celtics surely aren't gonna shoot one for 10 from three point area for the rest of the series, too.

But KG has to show up. Gasol rang rings around him today. Non-factor nga si Odom pero si Artest naman ang gumawa. But again, I'm not expecting Artest to hit 15 points each game. PP actually got his points despite Artest's defense, so it's up to the other starters to chip in. Sugar Ray in particular. But if he's gonna have to guard Kobe then he's gonna have trouble with his offense.

atenean_blooded
06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Good win by the Lakers today! ;D

Physical contest as expected. The Lakers, unlike in 2008, were ready this time, with some pieces of the 2008 championship puzzle finally present. Gasol was clearly more pumped up than he was a few years ago (he at least looked prepared to deal with the physical game of the Celtics). They've got another superb player in Artest.

Bryant is likely to go down as one of the best in this generation. That much is clear. And he didn't even have to pull out game-saving heroics this time. I'm going to get shot for saying this, but sometimes, watching Kobe play as well as he does, one begins to understand the comparisons to Michael Jordan. (And I say this knowing that there's been at least one other player, going by the name Lebron James, who has likewise been compared to Jordan from time to time, but has been proven unworthy.)

I think that this Lakers team will be scarier if Odom starts playing even better. I've always thought that Odom is one of the keys to the Lakers winning. When he does well, and this usually happens on a good night for other players, the Lakers are practically unstoppable. When he's got a bad day, I run out of invectives to hurl at my TV.

Boston needs to be more aggressive if they want to meet this Lakers team head-on. Even after the Lakers erected a huge lead, the Celtics didn't give up, and that was clear when they were cutting into the lead in the fourth.

GO LAKERS!

coreytaylor
06-04-2010, 06:06 PM
BEAT LA!!!

fujima04
06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
1 down 3 to go.

Hoping for LA to win Game 2 as well and steal a game in Boston.

Finish the Celtics off at Staples Center in Game 6. ;D

fujima04
06-05-2010, 03:13 AM
NBA 2010 Finals: LA Lakers Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd-Wkbg2zuA)

tawkytawny
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Opening the series with a win over the Celtics, the Lakers are in good position to win its 16th title. With hca and a huge arsenal of offensive weapons, the Lakers know that they have the aging Boston's number this series. But don't discount the heart, passion and fighting spirit of these old Celtics. They won't simply hand the trophy in silver platter to the Lakers. They will claw, bite, elbow and will do everything human (legally) possible to bring back banner 18 to TD Banknorth Garden whether it will take them 5, 6 or even 7 games to get it.

So LA beware of the mischievious leprechauns! Don't you forget Selvy's missed shot in '62 and Nelson's improbable shot in 69! The Celtics may still have a lucky clover or two on their arm (head) bands!

Beat eLeY!

Go Boston, bring home 18!

The_Big_Cat
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
GAME 1:

Lakers

1. Ron Artest was successful in being physical defensively on Paul Pierce.
2. Pau Gasol's length and improvement made KG look like a kindergarten student.
3. Kobe on Rondo.

Celtics

1. Ray Allen's early foul trouble
2. Absence of mid-range/long-range shooters (i.e in 2008; Eddie House & James Posey) to extend spacing in Boston's halfcourt set.
3. Turnovers, turnovers & turnovers

Jeep
06-05-2010, 06:02 PM
^Big_Cat, methinks james posey absence from the line-up hurts the celtics not just offensively. i never saw a defender put a body, hand, and what-have-you on kobe bryant the way james posey did in that finals series 2 years ago. as a C's fan, i am sorely missing this guy and how he can suck the life out of any offense the opposing team throws at him.

Dark Knight
06-05-2010, 06:15 PM
the celtics will have a big chance of defeating the lakers at staples center in game 2. Not because they are capable but im looking at the law of average here. The lakers have won 9 straight playoff games in their homecourt and is bound to lose one. And that will happen in game 2 i think.

Its a boston win or i'll eat raw atchuete. 1 kilo.

stonecold316
06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Hope the Lakers will continue to play with a lot of intensity and win their next game at home. Kailangan manalo dahil ang next three games eh sa Boston. Hirap pa naman manalo dun.

fujima04
06-06-2010, 02:02 PM
I could see the Lakers stealing at least a game in Boston. Winning three games in a row is a tall order.

Lakers has to take Game 2. Take a game in Boston. Then finish the series in Game 6.

A-boy97
06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Series tied! Beat LA! Beat LA! ;D

Some observations:

1. The 2 games in LA have been played on LA's pace. The Lakers bigs have toughen up compared to 2008. Even though Boston won game 2, the tempo has all been LA. They just missed more shots this time and Kobe was held under control due to fouls.

2. 2 games in the finals and KG hasn't shown up. Yes he made a crucial screen to help Rondo put in an easy lay-up but overall, it has been a sub-par KG. He NEEDS to show up in Boston. On a positive note, Big Baby's effort is impressive. Man, he is a fighter.

3. Unlike 2008 where you know Boston had the edge the "wanting and hunger" department, the rematch has been pretty much even in diving for the ball and the will to win.(The way it should be.)

Game 2 win of Boston was a total team effort! Got to include the dive of Doc Rivers to get a timeout in the top 5 plays of the night! ;D

MonL
06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Celts steal Game 2. Ray Allen makes an NBA Finals record eight 3-pointers.

If this is the best that LA can do in their homecourt, with all the crowd's energy sustaining them, then their situation will be dire in Boston Garden.
But LA still wins, even if they lose on the road. Their defeat will simply be ordinary instead of catastrophic and historical.
Any win short of murder by the Celtics will be a credit to LA.

Deja vu?

GO CELTICS!!!

Dark Knight
06-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Thank goodness Boston did'nt make me eat 1 kilo atchuete!

But heres for sure, the LA Atchuetes will steal one at TD Garden.

Where are you Fujima? ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Game 2:

Celtics
1. Spectacular performance by Ray Allen with 8 triples (NBA record) carrying the Celts in the 1st half alone.
2. Triple double performance by Rajon Rondo scoring like 4 field goals in the 4th. No relief in 1st half.
3. Sub-par performance by Paul Pierce but was solid defensively.
4. Worst playoff performance for Kevin Garnett. Early foul trouble. Played like a sissy girl.

Lakers
1. 20+ points and 10+ rebounds for both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.
2. Kobe Bryant's early foul trouble.
3. Derek Fisher played poorly due to early foul trouble after a great game 1 performance.
4. Ron Artest was successful again defensively on Paul Pierce.

I don't think Ray Allen can play that superb for 2 straight games. Kevin Garnett has to wake up and do his part. Doc Rivers better devise plays to free up Paul Pierce (like pick-en-rolls) to shake off the pesky Ron Artest. Celts need to copy what the Phoenix Suns did in the West Finals by running the ball to offset the huge frontline of LA. And maybe try the zone defense that Phoenix was successful in taking 2 games away from the Lakers. The zone took away LA's triangle offense and it made them a jump shooting team.

yungha
06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Celts steal Game 2. Ray Allen makes an NBA Finals record eight 3-pointers.

If this is the best that LA can do in their homecourt, with all the crowd's energy sustaining them, then their situation will be dire in Boston Garden.
But LA still wins, even if they lose on the road. Their defeat will simply be ordinary instead of catastrophic and historical.
Any win short of murder by the Celtics will be a credit to LA.

Deja vu?

GO CELTICS!!!

i hope this is deja vu of the cleveland series - celts blown out in game 1 on the road, come back strong in game 2 behind a triple double from rondo, then dominate rest of series and shut down opposing superstar.

fujima04
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Thank goodness Boston did'nt make me eat 1 kilo atchuete!

But heres for sure, the LA Atchuetes will steal one at TD Garden.

Where are you Fujima? ;D

Still kicking over here DK.

Series still far from over. I still think LA will win at least a game in Boston and take HCA back.

If LA failed to win at least a game in Boston, I'll marry the Aardvark you married before. ;D

pio_valenz
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
The Lakers are not gonna shoot that well for the rest of the series. And the Celtics surely aren't gonna shoot one for 10 from three point area for the rest of the series, too.

Bingo! Ray-ray himself was already 7-of-8 on 3s in the first half. ;D But the Celts need KG to finally show up if they want to close it out in Boston.

LION
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
1. I wonder how Celtics won this game with that kind of performance from PP and KG.

2. Shelden Williams should ride the bench henceforth. He gave Kobe 2 opportunities to shoot from the 3pt. area in the last 3 seconds of the 2nd quarter. Fortunately, Kobe only made 1, but still gave the Lakers momentum which they used to re-take the lead in the 3rd.

3. I see Boston winning 2 home games, and another in LA to win this series.

4. Nate Robinson should be good for 5 - 10 minutes of playing time. Quality minutes is all we ask.

5. Boston can win against LA even with a sub-par game from KG, and in LA's homecourt at that. It will bode well for Boston since games 6 and 7 (if necessary) will be played at the Staples Center. Homecourt advantage against the Celtics is already irrelevant in this series.

6. Rasheed needs to stop Pau Gasol. Easy to say but he's agile enough to stay in front of Pau.

7. KG can use some hard fouls on Bynum, just to make the young center think twice before doing his thing inside.

8. Time for the Ticket Stub to shine in this series.

yungha
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
KG may be dominated statistically by pau thus far but pychologically he's not giving an inch. when the media played up pau's comments that kg has lost a step or two, pau blasted the media for taking his comments out of context. when asked to comment, KG said, "am i supposed to comment on what he said? who is he?" yes, the media was at fault for stirring animosity by blowing pau's comments out of proportion. pau should've just let it go and played on but in blasting the media, showed he is afraid to anger and offend KG. and expect the boston crowd to target pau in the next 3 games.

pierce was off offensively but he was relaxed and loose. one time he even checked with a towel still wrapped around his neck. and he didn't allow gasol that easy bucket even with just seconds left and the victory secure. and he even gave pau a shoulder bump after his first free throw and broke up gasol and bynum's attempted low-five. small psych games for the vet. plus he looked like he was talking trash throughout the game.

but yup, as far as 2nd scoring options go, you can't say much about gasol. he kept the lakers in there despite kobe's foul trouble.

MonL
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
^Years ago, Philly 76er man-child Darryl Dawkins was asked what weaknesses he saw in then Knick rookie center Bill Cartwright. Dawkins instead said something like, "What, you want me to say something that will rile him up? He'll drop 20 points on me and run me off the building!!!" :D Looks like Pau has fallen for that trap as well.

Awesome frontline stat line: Bynum and Pau accounted for 13 of LA's 14 blocks, not to mention a combined 46 point effort. Celtic frontline almost buckled but still held on. Odom was invisible. My office mate remarked: "distraction kasi si Gomorrah." :P

They probably counted out Ray Allen too soon. Fatal mistake, but one that may not be repeated. Celtics reserves must now put in their share.

Nobody said it was easy. But Celts pulled off a first playoff win on Laker turf. They can end it at home and shut the naysayers up.

atenean_blooded
06-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, you win some, you lose some. :)

Now that the Lakers have lost to the Celtics, a few things have become clearer about how each side has to work to win the series. LA needs to work even harder, and Kobe has to get his points. Boston needs more production from Pierce and Garnett.

It will be interesting to see how the Lakers respond now that they're going to be playing in a particularly hostile environment.

The silver lining?

The series will end in Los Angeles. And a win by the Lakers at home will make the championship only sweeter.

GO LAKERS!

mighty_lion
06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
http://nbavideo.piipo.com/watch.php?f=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.cdn.turner.com%2Fnba%2 Fbig%2Fchannels%2Fplayoffs%2F2010%2F06%2F07%2F2010 0606_allen_phantom.nba_nba_576x324.flv&t=Big%20Play%20Ray%20%282010%2F06%2F07%20ET%29

I think we have similarities in shooting stroke except that mine is reliable only up to 5 feet, boarding pa madalas.

atenean_blooded
06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
LA Lakers def. Boston Celtics, 91-84.

LA leads the series 2-1.

GO LAKERS! ;D

MonL
06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Lakers steal Game 3. I think Ray Allen also set a Finals record for futility by not making all his 13 field goal attempts.

Nobody in life gets excatly what they thought they were going to get.

No problem. Anyway, amazing things can and will happen. Celts can win it in LA.

(Thanks to Conan O'Brien for the thoughts. ;D)

MonL
06-09-2010, 12:48 PM
^ Ray just barely tied the finals record for futility, as I found out later. The record was 14.

Not really a consoling thing to think about. :P

Pierce should just shut up and play instead of talking smack. He just ate his words with this loss.

This was a game full of aberrations. The Finals Series is full of them, all through the years.

Celtics wil be back. A series stretching on to Game 7 isn't really too farfetched.

I still believe in them, and think they will win it in Game 6.

GO CELTICS!

fujima04
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Pareng DK,

It's good that LA wins Game 3. I don't have to marry an Aardvark. Paul Pierce jinxed his own team.

The_Big_Cat
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Its Paul Pierce's turn to play like a sissy girl after KG did in game 2.

stonecold316
06-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Great game by Derek Fisher. He hit the big shots in the fourth quarter to help the Lakers get the win against Boston and regain home court advantage. Hope in Game 4 its Lamar Odom's time to shine.

Joescoundrel
06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
I told Sam Miguel that this championship would be won by whoever wins Game 2. Just to be clear: I am a solid Lakers fan, even when they sucked I still loved them. The basketball writer in me says this should go to Boston with their much better defense and their more solid core of battle-tested veterans. Of course the Lakers fan in me is hoping Kobe and Co still win it all. After Ray Allen's Game 3 meltdown not two nights removed from a record-setting Game 2 display, I wonder now if Boston's age isn't catching up with them. It is tempting to say that Derek Fisher cannot have a game like that every night of this series, and that might eventually turn out to be true. But Fish has a game like that EVERY playoff and final series he's ever played. Much credit goes to the Lakers D on Allen, but for godsakes that can only count for so much. Garnett had 22 points COMBINED in Games 1 and 2, and only in Game 3 did he get his Garnett numbers. In short, these ain't the 2008 Celtics, and unfortunately for them, Kobe and Co really did get better since the last time they met.

MonL
06-10-2010, 10:10 AM
^Spoken like a true fan, Joe. But you can never know how much you'll love a team unless you experienced something like that Rick Pitino regime and stuck with them. Buss will never be like The Donald from across town, so you'll probably never will.

Celtics will have their highs and lows. Ray and KG got theirs. Pierce still has to get his game going. Sheed is no James Posey, and Nate is a poor version of House.

Doc willl think of something. It's HIS team, after all.

Dark Knight
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Pareng DK,

It's good that LA wins Game 3. I don't have to marry an Aardvark. Paul Pierce jinxed his own team.

Congrats Fujima! ;)

The Lakers are really the nstronger team man to man. And now, i have this feeling the Lakers will steal another one at the Garden.

Time to pray a lot harder.

atenean_blooded
06-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Great endgame performance by the Celtics to tie the series 2-2.

Lakers will need to step up more, take Game 5 and come back to Staples with momentum.

GO LAKERS!

yungha
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
crucial game 5 on 8am monday which is a holiday. millions of pinoys will be watching the game live. how many plays are we going to miss in lieu of kfc fully loaded, mister donut duets, rexona sport defense, skechers work out while you walk, clear blacklight challenge, pony let's get it on, etc. will they lessen the commercials if we all promise to buy some kfc, mister donut, clear shampoo and rexona? that way all we have to worry about are skechers, merrel and pony.

exciting game but should have been a more comfortable win for boston. plenty of blown layups and missed open shots should have given them some breathing room entering the 2nd half, instead of having to come from behind. good balanced game all around.

has gasol attained superstar status? he's definitely getting superstar calls this series.

pio_valenz
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
1965: Havlicek stole the ball!
1984: Henderson stole the ball!
1987: Bird stole the ball!
2010: Rondo stole the ball!

tawkytawny
06-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Glen Davis proves that he is Big Baby no more. He is now "Big Daddy".

Congrats Cetics, make it 3-2 on Monday!

Big 3 + Big Daddy + Raging Rajon = 18th Banner

LION
06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I said it's time for the Ticket Stub to shine in this series. But the photo of the "drooling baby" is not so flattering. He should be wearing a bib. ;D

yungha
06-11-2010, 03:11 PM
^it's the first time i've seen KG pound the floor and scream this series. he's getting his old mojo back.

stonecold316
06-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Congrats to the Boston Celtics for the great victory. Ganda ng laro ng bench players ng Celtics especially Davis and Robinson.
Still hoping that the Lakers win Game 5 and close out the series at Staples Center in Game 6. Good luck to the team.

LION
06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
It's down to a best of 3 - 1 game in Boston and 2 games in LA, both teams showing they can win on the road.

With Bynum appearing to be out of the series due to his knee injury, KG, Rasheed, Davis and Perks are now free to pound the ball inside.

I like Boston's chances.

A-boy97
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM
If LA wins, no doubt Kobe will be the finals MVP. If Boston wins, I can't believe but Big Baby should win the plum. He has been the most consistent Celtic so far.

Go Celts!! ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm now 2 for 2 watching the finals thru ESPN. BTV sucks. ;D

It was the bench who stepped up big time for the Celts. As usual, the Big 3 for the Celts were struggling thanks to the tight defense of Artest (Pierce), Gasol (Garnett) and Fisher (Allen). It will be hard for the Celts to win again another game with a stellar performance from their bench. Rondo is still horrible from the FT. Good thing Nate bailed the PG spot for Boston. While Big Baby Davis took apart the LA interior defense in the 2nd half.

For LA, the defense of Ron Artest has taken its toll on his offense. I read somewhere Bynum will probably not return for LA for the rest of the series.

atenean_blooded
06-14-2010, 11:09 AM
LA 86, Boston 92. Boston takes 3-2 series lead heading back to LA.

Pretty good game by the Celtics. Kobe Bryant had a great game himself, but the rest of the Lakers were playing so badly (especially during that awful 3rd quarter) that even our Smart Gilas team would've run them over by double digits. The non-Kobe players have to step up if they want to extend and win the series.

GO LAKERS!

P.S. The only thing worse than the Lakers' game was the BTV coverage.

RockLobster
06-14-2010, 11:13 AM
^Amen to both.

Jeep
06-14-2010, 11:45 AM
we now have twice-to-beat. this is a strategic point in this series, and we have reached that point.

the lakers really fell for their get-the-ball-to-bryant-and-everybody-else-get-the-hell-outta-the-way play. it was just exactly what the doc had ordered. and the c's delivered on it. :)

one more win, baby (and i do mean big baby ;) )!!!

celtics! 1-2-3 ubuntu!

The_Big_Cat
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Best game for Paul Pierce in this series. Worst game for Pau Gasol in this series.

After 5 games, the team that leads after the 1st quarter takes the game.

Raging Blue
06-14-2010, 01:01 PM
In one of the Laker timeouts late in the game, Phil, the Zen Master-baitor attempted to egg on his disciples with the following quote, "Celtics know how to lose, they're showing us now". Guess who eventually won :P

The Lakers coach's mind games is becoming stale. It must be his advancing age. No wonder Laker owner Dr. Jerry Buss is asking his son-in-law for a pay cut if he decides to return as coach next season.

Let's Go Celtics! Get your the 18th banner in LA!

stonecold316
06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
If only the Lakers managed to shoot their free throws in the fourth, who knows they might have won the game.
Anyway, too much reliance again on Kobe Bryant. Parang 2008 na Lakers ang naglalaro.
If the other players won't provide help to Bryant, the series will be over in Game 6.
They need to step up big time if they want to extend the series. Sana talaga magkaroon na ng break-out game si Lamar considering that Bynum is really struggling because of his knee injury.

Anyway, kudos to Boston for not losing their composure especially when Kobe took over in the third quarter. Mahirap talunin talaga ang Boston kapag ang Big four - Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Rondo - and the bench players, play outstanding basketball. Taas din ng shooting percentage nila sa game.

fujima04
06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Congratulations to the Celtics. Celtics virtually has a twice to beat in this series. But nothing's alarming. AFAIC, this is expected.

Hoping for LA to bounce back now that the series shifts back to LA.

2 games baby! 2 home games!

tigerman
06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
If Boston goes on to win the finals, will they be the first team to beat the 3 best teams in the regular season? They have already eliminated Cleveland (no.1) and Orlando (no.2). The Lakers were the 3rd best team record-wise.

Nevertheless, it's still amazing how Boston suddenly decided to turn on the 'switch' after a lackluster regular season.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

yungha
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
message to kobe - kobe, you are so much better than jordan. your teammates aren't doing anything. you have to do this on your own. ONLY YOU can win the title for LA. boston's defense is good but you can easily score 40pts! kaya mo yan!

MonL
06-15-2010, 08:59 AM
If Boston goes on to win the finals, will they be the first team to beat the 3 best teams in the regular season? They have already eliminated Cleveland (no.1) and Orlando (no.2). The Lakers were the 3rd best team record-wise.

Nevertheless, it's still amazing how Boston suddenly decided to turn on the 'switch' after a lackluster regular season.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

That lackluster regular season was a preparation for the playoffs. The mainstays were hurting and needed to rest and recuperate. Doc knew that if they were to have a chance in the playoffs they had to have ALL their players healthy. They had a poor record after the all-star break because players' minutes, particularly KG's were strictly allocated. Doc was adamant about that even when KG gave him dagger looks while sitting on the bench during winnable games.

Their regular season record was not pretty, and they gave up the chance for HCA. But they were playoff-ready.

Jeep
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
yungha, i agree 100%! kobe MUST do it all on his own! he's so good. he can't rely on his teammates -- bunch of floppers. he should keep that in mind, that the win RESTS SOLELY ON HIS SHOULDERS. he MUST rack up ALL laker points in the 2nd half. he can do it, like his nike commercial says. just believe in HIMSELF, AND HIMSELF ONLY! no one else matters. ;D

raging, talk about two feet in his mouth, phil jackson even has both hands in it by now ;) . i mean, if you're going to put the other team down, make sure you don't have to eat your words later on -- the taste is horrible. they know how to lose? looks like mr. jackson and co. are getting to be pretty good at it right now.

monL, if that was doc's overall strategy for the season, i'd have to say it was pretty bold and very risky. what if that put them further down in the standings, so that a playoff appearance would be well-near impossible? or it would become hinged on factors that would be beyond their ability to win games (i.e., higher seeded teams continuing their winning runs)? i'm not very familiar with how the seedings are determined as the season comes to a close, but by and large conventional wisdom would dictate aiming for the top spot.

bchoter
06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
yungha and jeep i totally agree with you 200% (kasi total ng dalawa kayo :D)... rack it up kobster!

bchoter
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
deleted

pio_valenz
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Hindi pa tapos. The C's have to close it out in Game 6, because a Game 7 at Staples will be too dangerous.

I read an article that said during the time Kobe scored 23 straight points, Boston's lead grew from 1 point to 13. If I were Doc Rivers I'd let him score 50 straight.

Kid Cubao
06-15-2010, 04:02 PM
^^ it's clear that doc rivers's strategy to weather kobe's offensive onslaught and instead contain his teammates has been the story of the finals. not that no one was assigned to cover kobe, but that kobe was pushing himself like a candle whose ends are burning at the same time. doc figured that a spent kobe would offer diminishing returns as the series drags on, so he's sticking to his game plan. kasalanan din ni phil jackson for his refusal to match the bench strength of boston. now he's facing a boston twice-to-beat advantage in game 6.

MonL
06-15-2010, 05:12 PM
^Jeep, they were in a good enough position after the break to enter the playoffs. They figured out how much games they need to get in, and re-dialled their efforts. The sense of urgency in 2008 wasnt there. Many figured that these current Celtics have lost their hunger. What wasn't apparent to many was that the more pressing concern to Doc Rivers was to get them all healthy. Playing to get the top spot would have risked getting their key players worn out, if not injured. Playing well enough to win just half of their remaining games (without tanking any) was risky, but that calculated risk to save them may just win them their 18th title this year.

The Finals this year for the Celtics has been characterized by Pierce, KG and Ray Allen alternately having had one good game at a time, unlike in 2008 when two or three of them clicked for much of the series then, and all finally exploding in the clinching Game 6.

Game 4 saw KG and Pierce having settled down some. Ray must get out of that slump he's in after setting a Finals record. Guarding Kobe has taken its toll, but he has shown that he doesn't need to score from downtown to be effective; he just needs to be set up. Rondo has shown questionable half court decisionmaking in Game 4; Pierce, Allen and KG showed frustration when Rondo was a moment too late for them or botched plays for them. Reliever Nate Robinson was better in halfcourt, threading the defenses and feeding Allen at point-blank range. But Rajon was the superior open court player. And, as in 2008, the reserves HAVE put in ther share: current reserves Davis, Sheed, Nate and even Tony Allen had big games that carried the Celts on the cusp of another successful campaign.

They had a good send-off, but the C's are well aware of the task ahead. They can't be comfortable with the advantage they now hold.

They must now have the mindset to look at no other option but to close it out in 6.

MonL
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Lakers take Game 6. Perk put out of commission with knee injury in the first quarter. That was all Pau needed, and that was enough to turn the tide. Lakers shot well and got help from their second unit. Celtics reserves were nonexistent. Allen got his points but Pierce, Rondo and KG were shut down.

Celts will have to gut it out in Game 7. But they've been here before.

pio_valenz
06-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Heading into Game 6, I noticed there were two types of games that hadn't occurred yet in the Finals: a down-the-wire, comes-down-to-the-last possession thriller, and a total blowout (I'm not counting Game 1 as a blowout). I was hoping Game 6 would be the former, so that the Celtics would ahve a chance to steal it at the end. too bad it was the latter.

Oh well, I guess the Celts will have to do this the hard way. Time to channel in the Celts of 1969. Win Game 7 in LA.

Jeep
06-16-2010, 11:52 AM
monL, some fans in the chatbox on celtics.com would not countenance a game 7 without perk. it's just unthinkable. what is the extent of his injury anyway? if it's ACL -- and he was holding on to his knee when he went down -- then pau gasol will have his way in the paint, like he did today/tonight. baby is not long enough but he can be a leaper. still, he can't be jumping all game long.

both teams have met in a finals game 7 only 4 times previously. the C's have some comfort knowing that they beat the lakers in all those 4 instances. but that's cold comfort knowing that the last time this happened was mor than a quarter century ago.

still, i know they can draw up the inner auerbach in all of them and win this one in LA. i just hope this will be like the 1969 finals game 7 :) .

pio_valenz
06-16-2010, 11:55 AM
^Initial reports at cbssports.com say it's a sprain and he will be reevalauted tomorrow. Start crossing those fingers.

Jeep
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
nice point about down-the-wire, comes-down-to-the-last-possession games, pio. i think jeff van gundy, mark jackson, and mike breen were talking about the '88 finals between the pistons and the lakers. i don't recall that game anymore, but it seems a ticky-tacky foul on bill laimbeer sent kareem abdul-jabbar to the line in the final seconds, putting the lakers in the lead and giving them the title.

the refs better not be too whistle-happy on thursday night in LA. >:( tutal, no blood, no foul na ang labanan. incidentally, i think rajon rondo was on the receiving end of artest's elbow, resulting in some bleeding from the celtics guard's mouth. artest's payback for rondo's shove back in beantown?

matira na talaga ang matibay dito.

yungha
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
at least we proved phil jackson wrong again - the celtics did not lose the game in the 4th quarter.

MonL
06-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Perk is the muscle underneath that makes the Laker frontline work all the more harder. Baby is just too small and Sheed has to have fresh legs in order to jack up those shots of his, coming off the bench. If he will be asked to work major minutes fighting in the paint, he will be a dud offensively.

I like the Celts' chances in Game 7. Aside from the historical reasons you guys already mentioned, I hope that the Laker reserves won't have two consecutive good games. Artest had a good game 6, but has a tendency to stink up the place the following game. He may do some boneheaded plays down the stretch of a no-tomorrow game.

The Celts definitely will make adjustments. The Laker blowout seemed awful but come to think of it, it was already over by the end of the first half. The second half was just a coasting-along and a highlight show for the home crowd. But the Celts were already thinking of Game 7.

What a series this would be if all this would come down to just one last shot.

yungha
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
maglalaro yan. at this point in the season if you can walk you can play. willis reed could hardly walk but still played. mchale and parish had broken ankle bones yet still played. isaiah's ankle swelled to the size of a grapefruit but still played. maglalaro yan but he won't be 100%. as long as he pushes gasol out of the paint he'd have done his job.

in the pre-game show they showed how perk pushed gasol out of the paint, forcing him to take shots outside his comfort zone. when perk went out, kg was forced to guard gasol and kg couldn't handle him. worse, odom got his game going without kg to worry about. maybe doc should stick with kg on odom, that way kahit gumawa si gasol, contained pa rin ni kg si odom.

good luck celts. let's bring home #18.

pio_valenz
06-16-2010, 02:55 PM

I have a feeling it will happen in Game 7. Like I said earlier, this series is due for a down-the-wire game. And let's not forget both regular season meetings were decided by one point. And I'm hopeful it will be the Celts who hit the winning shot. ;)

dark_seid
06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
possible referee crew for game 7 could come from the group who worked game 3 (Dan Crawford, Bennett Salvatore, Bill Kennedy).

ah Bill Kennedy and Boston ...

but JVG correctly pointed out that Celts played game 6 like they had a cushion. Either that or they were just too hyped up for the game causing them to play out of control for their precision sets.

Anyway, a game to decide the NBA championship. This will be a blast for basketball lovers.

Bruticus
06-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I hope the Celtics get title no. 18 on Friday. Hmm, I wonder if Perkins can do a Willis Reed and come out for game 7.

fujima04
06-16-2010, 09:13 PM
1 more game! 1 more home game!

With Perkins probably out next game. I look forward for Gasol's monster game and LA clinching this season's title.

Go Back2Back!

yungha
06-17-2010, 02:16 PM

I have a feeling it will happen in Game 7. Like I said earlier, this series is due for a down-the-wire game. And let's not forget both regular season meetings were decided by one point. And I'm hopeful it will be the Celts who hit the winning shot. ;)

the way the series has played, maybe the game will come down to a big shot by kobe or a defensive stop by the celts. i can hear it now - steal by rondo! sana magkatotoo.

MonL
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I hope the Celtics get title no. 18 on Friday. Hmm, I wonder if Perkins can do a Willis Reed and come out for game 7.

Perk is done. It's time for the reserves to step up and for Doc to get a plan going. If you're to believe the Celtics, it's energy more than anything that they need to bring tomorrow. The Celts always come back with a good game after being humilitated the game before. They will go down fighting. They've battled odds all throughout this season, and nobody really expected them to be here, much less play a Game 7. But they've been here before, and got the job done.

Banner #18 this June 18?

Maybe there still is a Santa Claus. ;D

yungha
06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
so it's final, perk's out for game 7. good luck to sheed, baby and shelden. they're gonna need it.

dark_seid
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
except for foul trouble, i would be surprised if we see guys like shelden williams or josh powell playing more than a couple of minutes. this is the last game of the season. the main rotation players have the whole summer to rest up if needed.

i also think that rasheed (with his head in the game and no brain farts) is the best defender boston has against pau. he just gets up for match-ups against the top big men in the league.

but let's not kid ourselves, the lakers do enter game 7 as the favorite. i just prefer boston winning the chip against the odds.

anyway, this game should be a treat (especially if no refs make a scene).

Jeep
06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
dark_seid is right. the lakers have the upper hand in this contest, especially with perk gone and bynum still serviceable...

...the same way they were in '69! the lakers were just so sure they would win it. and yet, bill russell said there was no way he would let those balloons rain on the floor below. not a snowball's chance in you-know-where. the game's historians and oldtimers know what happened after that.

so i stay hopeful that today's celtics can resurrect the spirit of '69 once again -- and not a few will wonder where that smell of cigar smoke up in the staples center rafters is coming from. :)

yungha
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
i also think that rasheed (with his head in the game and no brain farts) is the best defender boston has against pau. he just gets up for match-ups against the top big men in the league.

ok lang yan. rasheed gets a free technical this game. next year pa naman suspension niya kung sakali.

MonL
06-18-2010, 08:12 AM
dark_seid is right. the lakers have the upper hand in this contest, especially with perk gone and bynum still serviceable...

...the same way they were in '69! the lakers were just so sure they would win it. and yet, bill russell said there was no way he would let those balloons rain on the floor below. not a snowball's chance in you-know-where. the game's historians and oldtimers know what happened after that.

so i stay hopeful that today's celtics can resurrect the spirit of '69 once again -- and not a few will wonder where that smell of cigar smoke up in the staples center rafters is coming from. :)

May Don Nelson be resurrected in the form of Brian Scalabrine. ;D

LION
06-18-2010, 09:21 AM
6 mins gone in the 1st quarter and LA got 8 offensive rebounds already. That's big.

But Boston shooting well and ahead by a point.

LION
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Lakers end the 1st quarter with 10 offensive rebounds but shooting poorly especially Kobe going 1-7 FGs.

Boston doing well, good shot selection and what a monster defense except for giving up 10 offensive rebounds.

Go Boston!!!

MonL
06-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Mortal combat currently underway. No team pulling away.

Exactly what this last game was predicted to be.

MonL
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
LA shooting poorly fom the field and at the free throw line, in their own home turf.

Are they playing "Casey At The Bat?" :P

LION
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Already missing Perkins, Boston has to deal with KG's 3 fouls who spent a big part of the 2ndQ sitting on the bench.

And Sheed Wallace already has 2 fouls already going into half-time. Huwag lang maubos big men ng Celtics.

LION
06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Boston bench outscoring LA bench, 6-1. Boston leading by 6 at the end of the 2ndQ.

pio_valenz
06-18-2010, 10:16 AM
If the Lakers are shooting only 26% from the field, you have to take advantage. Dapat double digit na ito eh. Boston turnovers and Laker offensive boards are what's keeping the game close. But at least they recovered somewhat from that big Laker run to start the 2nd.

Last 24 minutes of the season. Let's go Celts!

easter
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Lakers maybe controlling the rebounds but Boston has a firm grip on the pace of the game. Not too fast and not too slow. The Lakers need to come out of the gates very well in the 3rd or they will be in a critical situation here.

kerouac82
06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Lakers maybe controlling the rebounds but Boston has a firm grip on the pace of the game. Not too fast and not too slow. The Lakers need to come out of the gates very well in the 3rd or they will be in a critical situation here.

They are already in a critical situation. It's not helping that the Lakers, especially Kobe, are not making their shots.

MonL
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Boston has a firm grip on the pace of the game. Not too fast and not too slow.

Exactly the way they like it. But they can make excellent open court plays as well.

Artest isnt kobe. But unfortunately, Bryant not playing like Kobe tonight as well.

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Congrats to the Lakers. The key here for LA was rebounding particularly the offensive side were they pounded the Boston frontline and helped give themselves second chance points.

My personal pick for Finals MVP is Ron Artest. He made life miserable for Paul Pierce in this series and played his best offensive performance in game 7.

Boston dominated 80% of the game up until mid-4th. The game changing event was the Fisher triple followed by Kobe getting 3 FT shots after being fouled on the 3-pt line by Ray Allen.

salsa caballero
06-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Congrats kobe-lovers. 'Twas your year, but the Celts will live on and haunt your waking dreams with Irish victories again. Cheers!

Kid Cubao
06-18-2010, 12:02 PM
congratulations to the LA lakers for winning the 2010 NBA title against the celtics. back to back is back ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
The Boston Celtics are now 8-1 in Finals Game 7 history.

Phil Jackson is like 49-0 in playoff series history when winning game 1.

MonL
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
The Celtics battled the odds and fought the good fight to the end. You can't ask for more.

Congrats to the champions. Enjoy your title this year.

Celtics will be back to battle for it next year.

atenean_blooded
06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Congratulations to the LA Lakers! ;D

Never doubted the outcome. :)

AnthonyServinio
06-18-2010, 01:03 PM
CONGRATULATIONS LOS ANGELES LAKERS, a true classic unfolded before our very eyes!

2009-2010 BACK-TO-BACK NBA World Champions!

fujima04
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Congratulations LA Lakers! NBA 2009-2010 World Champions!

Mission Accomplished: Back2Back!

Next Season Mission: 3-Peat!

Regular Grey
06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Back to BAck Baby!!

tigerman
06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
The big question now is: Will Phil return next year to go for another three-peat? Pang-apat na niya kung sakali.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

stonecold316
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Congratulations to the LA LAKERS for winning their 16th NBA crown.
Hats off to the Lakers' players especially Ron Artest, Derek Fisher, Lamar Odom and Paul Gasol. Hirap si Kobe sa opensa nung first three quarters but their efforts were enough to help the Lakers earn the win.

The crowd at the Staples Center should also be credited for cheering out loud. Kahit naka 13-point lead Boston nung third period hindi sila nawalan ng pag-asa.

Hope maka three-peat next year with the Lakers still intact.
;D ;D ;D

yungha
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
it was like the celts were holding on to a ledge with 2 hands, then one hand let go, then slowly, the lakerss pulled one finger after another till the celts fell.

we have assets to trade for some young quality players. is it too much to hope for kg and paul to opt out of their contracts and volunteer for lower salaries in order to give the team more cap flexibility? it's been done before and maybe it can happen again.

the one record bostonians have long thought untouchable - number of nba titles won - is now in jeopardy. they're just one ahead of the lakers. the proud new englanders won't let that happen.

i'm not happy about it, but congrats to the lakers.

easter
06-18-2010, 02:41 PM
If not for Ron Artest, the Celtics would've been hoisting that trophy. He was able to check Pierce and score at the same time in a 7th game.

tigerman
06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Where's Tim Donaghy? ;D

freethrow attempts
game 6 2002:
Kings 18-25
Lakers 34-40

game 7 2010:
Celtics 15-17
Lakers 25-37

Ok so this is the block of the night?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SevIC...eature=channel

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Hellboy
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah baby! Lakers won! Show me the money! ahahahahaha

Since Lakers lost to Boston last 2008, I've been bitter with it. I know for a fact that time, the Lakers has fresh line up. Well, nagmature na nga sila as a team. Hoping for a grand slam!

See ya next time Celtics.

Jeep
06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
we fought hard, we fought well. the game's outcome was still up in the air even with less than a minute to go. can't say i couldn't have asked for anything more, because the prize was within our reach. like the boston globe says, we were near the finish line, then we stumbled. :( so unlike the last time the celts were in a finals series-deciding game, when it was so clear as early as the 1st quarter who would emerge victorious.

proud irish catholic stock that they are, the great people of the city of boston will take this loss bloodied but unbowed. and yes, their celtics will be back next year -- hopefully with the same faces. even ray allen, despite the calls of some quarters to not re-sign him. heck, you wanna change the team, make it more competitive? why stop at allen? why not pierce, who missed key shots in the stretch? or KG, with just one carom in the fourth? why not doc, since coaches take the blame when their teams lose?

point is, i'll stick with this crew, warts and all. i know they have what it takes to take it back next year. and i for one cannot question their heart. but i agree that they will need some support. bostonians are asking about bosh, or wade. how about amare?

i don't know. but certainly this was the battle of the boards. perk out, baby could've stepped in but i don't know why he didn't play long enough. sheed was physical in controlling gasol and in the early goings it worked. but the C's need some ceiling, which is why i'm missing guys like PJ brown and leon powe. shoring up that frontline should be danny ainge and doc's main concern as they get ready for the next season.

oh, did i congratulate the lakers already? ;D congrats! and enjoy your double run at the title. from the looks of things, sadly from where i sit, you may even get it again next year.

p.s. i remain unimpressed with phil jackson, despite his having overtaken the venerable red auerbach in the number-of-titles race. i'd like to see what he can do with the OTHER LA team. ;)

Bruticus
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
The Celtics may have lost the title, but they sure didn't go down without a fight. I hope they can come back again to the finals and get banner no. 18 to hang at the Garden rafters.

dark_seid
06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
reports are coming out that rasheed went to the referees locker room after the game ended. he was wanting to chat with the crawfords but not about the game. if indeed he wanted to make peace with the veteran referee crew, coupled with his play in leaving everything he had on the court, this is indeed probably it for rasheed. it also shows a different side to rasheed that not a lot of casual nba fans know of.

coreytaylor
06-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Ron Artest is a ........................ hero! ;D

Still, Lakers suck! Beat LA 2011! :)

coreytaylor
06-18-2010, 11:37 PM
sori double post

MonL
06-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Defeated, but never humiliated, these Celtics are.

Wish list for next year:

Keep the core, strengthen the second unit with bigger (not wider) frontline help. Consider letting go of deadweight third unit fringe players warming their butts all season.

And also, keep the coach. ;D

dark_seid
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Defeated, but never humiliated, these Celtics are.

Wish list for next year:

Keep the core, strengthen the second unit with bigger (not wider) frontline help. Consider letting go of deadweight third unit fringe players warming their butts all season.

And also, keep the coach. ;D

the only guys on the books next year for the celts are kg, pp (player's option), baby, rondo, sheed and perk. but these guys still eat up a big chunk of the cap (kg @ 18M and pp @ 21M). if sheed retires, his 6M is still counted against the cap.

only way for celts to improve from this year's results will be internal player development (from baby, perk and especially rondo on shooting mid range j's). and then to be given relatively season long good health for the knees of kg and pp which has thousands of basketball miles on them.

or just go and trade for lebron, bosh, wade, dwight or some young stud.

mighty_lion
06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
If I will look at the box scores, Boston fared better in making defensive stops. Unfortunately they were not able to control the rebounds and 2nd chance opportunities for the Lakers.

Artest no matter how aweful he was offensively was big in making Pierce almost silent throughout the series.

MonL
06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Perkin's sidelining was huge for the Celtics. He was arguably among the league's best defensive centers. He easily could have played thirty-forty minutes of tough physical basketball. When he went down, Sheed's minutes dramatically went up. And since he was not really in top shape for the postseason, the extra minutes exhausted him. Davis was too short to do battle with LA's long frontline.

The early downfall of the Original Big 3 of Parish, Bird and McHale was due to their extended playing time in their later playing years that physically wore them down. The late Len Bias would have immensely helped. Plus LA made key adjustments then to counteract that big frontline: getting Mychal Thompson was critical in neutralizing McHale.
To connect that with the recent Finals, the starting frontline needed rest, but got little, specially in the fourth quarter when they were literally running on fumes in the face of the LA run.

Getting Artest was a key move this year. Trevor Ariza was not it. That was a high stakes risk that got for them a repeat. But the flipside of that was, had they failed, Kupchak would have hit the road. Someone had to do the dirty work of neutralizing Paul Pierce. Ron was even credited for kneeing Ray Allen in the hip in Game 3, affecting his shooting the rest of the series.

atenean_blooded
06-22-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm surprised no one is talking about Scalabrine. ;D

MonL
06-22-2010, 08:08 AM
^blooded,

I did.

:)

atenean_blooded
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
^blooded,

I did.

I mean, no one's making as much of a fuss about him as I thought we would. Haha

MonL
06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
^blooded,

I did.

I mean, no one's making as much of a fuss about him as I thought we would. Haha

He wasn't given a shot worth a dang, and I think his time is at an end. Perhaps later on Celtics fans may put him in a shrine and compare him with guys like Steve Kubersky, Kevin Stacom, Hank Finkel, Eric Fernsten, Greg Kite, and heck, even Rick Carlisle who all through the years have had a common role in the Boston scheme of things, and won titles to boot. ;)

Maybe.

yungha
06-22-2010, 05:54 PM
are we seeing the end of the scalabrine era in boston? he was there during the horrendous 2006 and 2007 seasons, welcomed the kg and ray in 2008, won a title that year, played on albeit in limited fashion this year and last. but seriously, the guy can play. he won a big playoff game for NJ a few years back with a slew of 3s in multiple overtimes. he played quality playoff minutes last year vs chicago and orlando. but yup he's probably gone. thanks, scal, and good luck.

marquis daniels can also play, capable of double figure scoring. mikki moore can also play but was hardly used last year. marbury being benched i understand. but sometimes i wonder why doc doesn't use some of his players more.

pio_valenz
06-23-2010, 07:54 AM
I think Scal, Nate, Finley and Daniels are all gone. Ainge needs as much cap space as possible to beef up the roster. With Sheed retiring and Perkins out for God knows how long, the Celts need a quality big man or two. Then a wing man who can spell both Ray-ray and the Truth.

Daniels just never got into the groove. He was injured at the start of the season and missed several weeks. By the time he got back, Tony Allen was beginning to shine. Then Finley joined the team. I think he can contribute if given the chance, which might come next season, but I heard he can't wait to get out of town.

Last night I made a major step towards acceptance of the Celtics' defeat. I was finally able to watch BTV for the fisrt time since Friday. :D

dark_seid
06-23-2010, 09:01 AM
from ESPN's Truehoop ... "Doc Rivers says that the Celtics were too eager to help off Ron Artest in Game 7" ...

is this doc subliminally throwing tom thibodeau under the proverbial bus?? using pierce as a scottie pippen-like free safety defender was the only way to guard the lakers. the percentages backed that up together after watching the lakers play during the whole season. using garnett or perk like back in 2008 to create a wall was not anymore possible.

anyway, credit ron ron for playing back to back great games. his inclusion into the lakers' offense made them a whole lot tougher to beat in games 6 and 7.