View Full Version : UAAP refs for S73

baludoy
04-22-2010, 12:25 AM
oh my...babalik daw ang nabro sa season 73. :o

if this is true, then we're in for a lot of pain and teeth gnashing >:(

sino ba host next season?

dexter
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
DLSU is the season 73 host. NABRO better shape up or DLSU will get all the flak.

Sam Miguel
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
In all my years covering baskteball I find that NABRO is still far preferable to those BRASCU idiots that whistled in the UAAP last season.

At least NABRO is an organization that calls it straight in accordance with FIBA rules, and they stick to amateur tournaments, so at least there is no confusion in terms of switching from PBL to PBA and then to the UAAP, as happened in the UAAP last season. Some of the BRASCU referees also whistled for the PBA and the PBL, talk about confusion.

NABRO also at the very least is amenable to speaking with the coaches in case of controversial calls, like Rico Tan did with Norman Black yesterday when he whistled Jumbo Escueta for an unsportsmanlike foul in yesterday's Fil Oil game against Arellano. BRASCU referees are notorious for ignoring and even taunting coaches.

They will make mistakes, as we all do, and some mistakes will be blatant, and some mistakes will be mega-magnified by the fans, as is to be expected. Overall though, I'd rather live with NABRO than BRASCU.

wahsuck
04-22-2010, 03:29 PM
NABRO is back??? is it not that NABRO's integrity as referees where questioned the other season?

bchoter
04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Sam I never thought I would long for NARBO's return... until BRASCU happened.

A-boy97
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Hard to understand this move since the incoming host school was so angry with how NABRO called the finals. sabagay, sila rin naman nagdala ng NABRO before.

Buenafriends, mahihirapan na tayo mag reserve ng seats sa Araneta! :(

maroonmartian
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
^ Siguro kaya NABRO ang kinuha DLSU kasi mga calls ng PBL refs ang rason kung bakit sila natanggal sa Final 4. Remember those close games that DLSU had ;D If they could have just for some of the bad calls, they might have enter the Final 4. Ika nga CHOOSING THE LESSER EVIL ;D

Mighty_Alumnus
04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Doesn't matter which ref org you get... what they should target are the gambling syndicates hounding the league.

augustine
04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
As long as the ref they suspended for his cals in the feu-la sale game remains suspended. He should never again be involved in an uaap game.

Sam Miguel
04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
One thing that ought to be MANDATED by the UAAP is for ALL Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Team Managers and Varsity/Athletics Directors to ATTEND the coaches and officials meeting with the referees and the referee organizations as well as Commissioner. There are some coaches out there who are notorious for not showing up at these meetings, and then complaining about why these calls are whistled this way, and why other calls are whistled that way. If your sorry arse doesn't show up at the meeting when these things are brought up, explained and clarified, then shut the f--- up for you have no right to complain or bitch or whine or moan when the tournament starts. As is the case with NABRO, no less than Ato Badolato and Rolly Omampo will be running the meeting. I've yet to see either of these two gentlemen buckle or fail to answer any question put forth by any body at these meetings.

If the referees still make egregious mistakes during the tournament then referee suspension or even outright bans are in order. Senior Referee Brian Tabanag was once suspended, so we know there is strictness to this rule.

Sam Miguel
04-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Guy gets a steal, races down court to try to convert in transition, one opposing player slightly ahead of him but not yet established on defense.

Another opposing player nearest him taps him on the arm, obviously no dirty play or hurting play intended. Referee whistles it a foul.

Question: In a NABRO-officiated game is it a regular foul, an unsportsmanlike foul, or an andvantage foul?

Sam Miguel
04-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Loose ball rolls on the floor. One guy dives to the floor, slides on his belly for three or four feet then grabs the ball, after which he keeps sliding on his belly another three or four feet with the ball clearly in his hands.

He then gets up on his feet, dribbles the ball and lays in the basket in transition.

Question: In a NABRO-officiated game, was there any instance of traveling, and if there was, at what point of that sequence was there a travel?

Sam Miguel
04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Guy is trying to advance the ball with his dribble against pressure, his left foot crosses the mid-court line while his right foot remains in the backcourt and he takes two more dribbles with the ball clearly in the backcourt to try to avoid the pressure.

He pulls his left foot back to the backcourt and then does a crossover dribble that finally allows him to bring the ball across the time line.

Question: In a NABRO-officiated game, was there an instance of an over-and-back (backing) violation, and if there was at what point of this sequence was the over-and-back?

highfidelity
04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Baka kasama sa payroll ng shoemart mga ref na yan ah

Sam Miguel
04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
^^^ Wrong Chinoy ... ;D

Sam Miguel
04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
One thing that has truly become an epidemic are the suspicions of game-fixing and big time gambling all over the college game. Arguably the easiest targets for these suspicions are the referees. After all, no matter how well a team prepares for any given game, all it takes is one Tim Donaghy to wreck all those plans and preparations. A couple of malicious whistles can land your star in foul trouble and totally mess up your rotation. A few more malicious whistles and the footwork drills you practiced in the entire off-season become inexplicable travels. In those instances you are totally f---ed.

How about hiring referees? One team a couple of years back supposedly hired a couple of referees for the off-season and the season proper so that they would get a clear idea how the whistles would go, especially what they could and could not get away with in games. Lo and behold that was one major factor for their winning the championship that year. They could get away with more of those pa-simple na hip-checks, grabs and holds, arm bars, knee shoves, verticality, ball swing versus ball cradle, etc. But is this not a clear conflict of interest on the part of the referees they hired? That to me is tantamount to insider trading.

kerouac82
04-28-2010, 05:39 PM
One thing that has truly become an epidemic are the suspicions of game-fixing and big time gambling all over the college game. Arguably the easiest targets for these suspicions are the referees. After all, no matter how well a team prepares for any given game, all it takes is one Tim Donaghy to wreck all those plans and preparations. A couple of malicious whistles can land your star in foul trouble and totally mess up your rotation. A few more malicious whistles and the footwork drills you practiced in the entire off-season become inexplicable travels. In those instances you are totally f---ed.

How about hiring referees? One team a couple of years back supposedly hired a couple of referees for the off-season and the season proper so that they would get a clear idea how the whistles would go, especially what they could and could not get away with in games. Lo and behold that was one major factor for their winning the championship that year. They could get away with more of those pa-simple na hip-checks, grabs and holds, arm bars, knee shoves, verticality, ball swing versus ball cradle, etc. But is this not a clear conflict of interest on the part of the referees they hired? That to me is tantamount to insider trading.

It would be tantamount to insider trading had the refs they hired belong to whoever was handling the league's officiating that year.

We in the financial field have a term for that -- Separation of Duties (SOD) conflict. Hindi papasa sa audit 'yan.

Sam Miguel
05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
One of our most reliable snitches just informed me that the referees from hell - BRASCU - will be whistling again for Season 73. Joe Lipa could do nothing but just stand by his guys the last time around. Will Ato Badolato do the same this season? One other thing: I thought the UAAP said they would give the Commissioner a free hand in selecting the referee group this season. Does this mean Badolato - contrary to his pro-NABRO leanings - actually picked BRASCU over NABRO?

I suppose ok na din considering NABRO will reportedly be whistling in NCAA Season 86, with Aric Del Rosario returning as Commissioner, and will definitely be stretched too thin if they also handle the UAAP.

A-boy97
05-06-2010, 09:20 AM
^Yes! ;D

Raging Blue
05-07-2010, 12:26 AM
One of our most reliable snitches just informed me that the referees from hell - BRASCU - will be whistling again for Season 73. Joe Lipa could do nothing but just stand by his guys the last time around. Will Ato Badolato do the same this season? One other thing: I thought the UAAP said they would give the Commissioner a free hand in selecting the referee group this season. Does this mean Badolato - contrary to his pro-NABRO leanings - actually picked BRASCU over NABRO?

I suppose ok na din considering NABRO will reportedly be whistling in NCAA Season 86, with Aric Del Rosario returning as Commissioner, and will definitely be stretched too thin if they also handle the UAAP.

We will miss heckling referee Ferdinand "Boyong" Manalac :(

Sam Miguel
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
^^^ You can reserve heckling and even live ammunition for the BRASCU a--holes...

canmaker
05-11-2010, 03:29 PM
you can see Boyong in the Filoil Flying V tourney. Hehehehe ...

atenean_blooded
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
We will miss heckling referee Ferdinand "Boyong" Manalac :(

Yun lang siguro pagkakaiba ng NABRO sa BRASCU sa palagay ko.

Nung NABRO pa yung referees, nalaman pa namin ang pangalan.

Nung BRASCU na, kahit numero na lang, pwede nang murahin.

gfy
05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Ang referees daw ay PBL and SBP referees.

tsikamajigs
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
^ Iba iba definition ng Foul kapag PBL refs. :-\

maroonmartian
05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
you can see Boyong in the Filoil Flying V tourney. Hehehehe ...

Andun din siya sa 2010 FMC Summer tournament with those NABRO refs. Looks like they are gearing for UAAP Season 72.

highfidelity
05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
^ Iba iba definition ng Foul kapag PBL refs. :-\

hahaha ;D

nastrans
06-01-2010, 05:27 PM
It will be PBL referees for Season 73. A combo of PBL and SBP refs for juniors and womens.

maroonmartian
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
^Confirmed na po ba tayo? Frankly, I like the NABRO guys more because they are the refs in the FMC and FilOil tournament which UAAP teams participated (Mens, Women, juniors etc). Wala na ilangan sa mga players.

fujima04
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
UAAP refs urged to follow guidelines

MANILA, Philippines - UAAP commissioner Ato Badolato yesterday directed game officials of the coming UAAP basketball tournament to follow strictly the league guidelines on officiating and let the players decide the outcome of the game.

“I told them to make sure they follow strictly the guidelines of the UAAP and not to make calls that will decide the games,” Badolato told The STAR yesterday.

The 73rd UAAP season kicks off on July 10 at the Araneta Coliseum.

Badolato, who also served as the league commissioner in 1996 and 2004, said he would tap a total of 31 referees from the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and the Philippine Basketball League to officiate all the games, including in the juniors’ and women’s divisions.

“It’s a combination of referees from the SBP and the PBL,” said Badolato, a retired multi-titled coach of the Red Cubs and now the athletic director of San Beda.

Officials of Far Eastern U, one of the early favorites to contend for this year’s crown, have earlier voiced their concern over officiating in the league.

“If officiating will not improve, the same fate will happen to us just like last year,” said FEU coach Glen Capacio, who claimed poor officiating partly spoiled their campaign last year.

“Let the players decide the outcome of the game,” he said.

FEU, meanwhile, tries to redeem itself this year with a team teeming with talents, headed by Smart Gilas Pilipinas standouts Aldrech Ramos and JR Cawaling and Reil Cervantes, RR Garcia, Jens Knuttel, Paul Sanga, Pipo Noundou and Chris Exciminiano.

The Tams open their bid against reigning back-to-back champion Ateneo on July 11 at 4 p.m.

source: Joey Villar,philstar,com

atenean_blooded
06-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Officials of Far Eastern U, one of the early favorites to contend for this year’s crown, have earlier voiced their concern over officiating in the league.

“If officiating will not improve, the same fate will happen to us just like last year,” said FEU coach Glen Capacio, who claimed poor officiating partly spoiled their campaign last year.

“Let the players decide the outcome of the game,” he said.

FEU, meanwhile, tries to redeem itself this year with a team teeming with talents, headed by Smart Gilas Pilipinas standouts Aldrech Ramos and JR Cawaling and Reil Cervantes, RR Garcia, Jens Knuttel, Paul Sanga, Pipo Noundou and Chris Exciminiano.

The Tams open their bid against reigning back-to-back champion Ateneo on July 11 at 4 p.m.

source: Joey Villar,philstar,com

Sorry for being off-topic, but really?

That's pretty insulting for the teams that have beaten them over the past few years.

Last I checked, what's been contributing largely to the implosions of the Tamaraws (especially last year, when they were the "prohibitive favorites" according to some pundits) has been the sordid series of controversies hounding them.

Sam Miguel
07-13-2010, 08:27 AM
For the most part, it seems that officiating during opening weekend was more or less Ok. By this I do not mean perfect, far from it, but it looks like we did not have the same boatload of shite we got from this same referee crew from last year. I do not think I saw those two sombitses - Numbers 84 and 85 - who were two of the most incompetent and stone-countenanced schmucks to blow whistles last year.

Sam Miguel
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Finally BRASCU once again rears its ugly and incompetent head. Fouls were called inconsistently both ways in the Ateneo-Adamson game, where grabbing, holding and leaning picks were allowed or disallowed depending on what the referee who blew the whistle was feeling at the time, i.e. if he was constipated or short of breath its a foul, otherwise let everything go. Victims / beneficiaries here depend of course on who got for-against the call, like Eman Monfort, Eric Salamat, Ryan Buenafe, Jeric Canada, Alex Nuyles, Ric Camson, all of whom had calls of this nature for AND against them. Frank Golla, Jan Colina, Jumbo Escueta and Austin Manyara got NO breaks at all from the refs.

The stupidest call of that day came in the win of NU over Lasalle when Jewel Ponferrada was called for an unsportsmanlike foul while he was trying to get back on his feet and he accidentally TOUCHED the sole of his sneaker to the top of the head of Jovet Mendoza. Mind you, even in the replays it was a mere TOUCH, not a kick, no obvious or apparent buelo at all, and Mendoza did not even feel it because his head DID NOT EVEN NOD FORWARD in the least upon said contact, again as shown in the many replays.

I swear Hans Sy of SM / NU was livid with that call and should probably put a price on that stupid referee's head.