PDA

View Full Version : Hector "the Heckler", the Ultimate Adamson Fan

maroonmartian
04-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I am starting this thread to discuss the most famous Adamson fan. Adamson's Norman the Heckler. You could see him in most of the UAAP games that Adamson played (basketball, volleyball, baseball).

Mod, if you find this thread inappropriate pa close na lang.

So this thread would be all about.

-Norman's info (not necessarily his private life), year he started for Adamson, his probable age.
-Memorable Norman's acts or quotes ;D
-Reasons why fans should love or hate Norman.
-and anything about him including sightings

I'll start the thread by guessing his age. Probably in his 40s.
Memorable quote?
- Jill (Gustillo), ang tanga mo. ---> after Gustillo's bad game in a UAAP volleyball match with UST
- Lester (Alvarez), ako na lang isipin mo.--> after Lester miss his first free throw in a FMC game

fujima04
04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Iba pa ba ito kay Hector?

maroonmartian
04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
If you are talking the gay Hector who is present in most of the Adamson games, the dark middle age gay, he is.

Wait I have to post some pics ;D mamaya.

maroonmartian
04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
http://C:\Users\Diego Clan\Documents\Acads\Desktop\norman.jpg

maroonmartian
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
http://www.greenarchers.ph/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/adu_fan012162010.jpg

Credit goes to Leslie Sy of greenarchers.ph for this picture. As you can see, Norman is being pulled out from the Arena for "heckling" the DLSU volleyball players (heckling in volleyball is not as intense as in basketball and these are girls :D )

BigBlue
04-06-2010, 09:14 PM
pano naging Norman si Hector?

fujima04
04-07-2010, 05:43 AM
http://www.greenarchers.ph/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/adu_fan012162010.jpg

Credit goes to Leslie Sy of greenarchers.ph for this picture. As you can see, Norman is being pulled out from the Arena for "heckling" the DLSU volleyball players (heckling in volleyball is not as intense as in basketball and these are girls :D )

I believed the name of the man being pulled out is Hector and not Norman.

LION
04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
pano naging Norman si Hector?

Am puzzled as well.

Anyways, Hector or Norman, that guy is annoying. He is a disgrace to Adamson.

Sam Miguel
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
The abomination in the picture is "Hector", easily the most vociferous Adamson University varsity fan on this or any other planet in the known universe.

Hector is also a "professional" fan who is seen in the PBL as well as the PBA. Hector was a Hapee fan last conference because of former Falcon Ruel Hugnatan. Hector was (as if you had to ask) an Add Mix fan for the recently concluded PBL conference. I'm not certain which PBA team Hector roots for.

Hector also has certain individual player favorites such as Jai Reyes, Chris Tiu, Simon Atkins, Joshua Webb, Woody Co, Martin Reyes, and (of course) Bacon Austria. Hector once disclosed that he doesn't really care much for the NCAA, except for the likes of Neil Pascual (formerly of Mapua), Pong Escobal (formerly of San Beda) and Pamboy Raymundo.

Hmm... it seems Bacon Austria is the most esteemed in this company, for some strange reason. I wonder what the others have in common to be so dear to Hector...?

maroonmartian
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
My fault :D Is HECTOR pala in the title. Yun pala dapat title ng thread. Mods pano po ichange ang thread name?

Yes, this guy is really an abomination especially to the UAAP volleyball games where heckling players is not that rabid. Good thing you would only see him cheer in an Adamson game.

So may connection kaya siya kay Coach Leo Austria? Hmmm..

Other favorites of Norman:

Lester Alvarez

Notable players that he hated:

Jerick Canada
Jill Gustillo (rumored GF of Jerick)

bchoter
04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
In the PBA Hector follows Alaska where Reynel's big bro plays. Complete with banner. After the Alaska game he'll "professionally" root for some other team... agin complete with banner

maroonmartian
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
And in Alaska, there is ex-Adamson coach Luigi Trillo. Another Adamson connection. I have read in the greenarchers.ph discussion that he came from FEU? Bakit kaya Adamson? Oh well, it is still OK for him to cheer but heckle the other teams to the extreme is definite NO.

nastrans
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I heard na pang-international na din si Hector. Nakapunta na daw siya sa Kuala Lumpur to cheer Reynel Hugnatan, who played for the KL Dragons in the ASEAN Basketball League.

During ABL games, he roots for Adamson players pati rin yata si Kiko Adriano and the Brunei Barracudas.

maroonmartian
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I heard na pang-international na din si Hector. Nakapunta na daw siya sa Kuala Lumpur to cheer Reynel Hugnatan, who played for the KL Dragons in the ASEAN Basketball League.

During ABL games, he roots for Adamson players pati rin yata si Kiko Adriano and the Brunei Barracudas.

Wow, nakakainggit ang naman. ;D That is a career. Professional heckler. During one of those FMC games, I saw him with a Brunei Barracudas shirt. Lakas talaga ng kapit niya.

AnthonyServinio
04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
The heckler's real name is Hector Tabozo and when he is not busy heckling, he reports to his day job with ironically the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Philvolcs). Therefore, he is a government employee and we taxpayers pay his salary!

maroonmartian
04-08-2010, 07:02 AM
^ I check his name in Facebook. Hector Tabuzo po ata. I am in no power here to discuss his private life but more of his public actions in the UAAP. So nagrereport pala ito sa Phivolcs. Hope he do his job there especially warning us on the possible magnitude 7 earthquake in Metro Manila.

Mukha naman mabait siya pics eh. ;D

Joescoundrel
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
The heckler's real name is Hector Tabozo and when he is not busy heckling, he reports to his day job with ironically the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Philvolcs). Therefore, he is a government employee and we taxpayers pay his salary!

In addition to being a PHIVOLCS employee, Hector is also a BS Accounting graduate of, you guessed it, Adamson University.

pio_valenz
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
As hecklers go, he probably stands out the most because he's the most vocal and most active. But he's all right. Got to talk to him once during a UP game sometime in the middle of that 0-14 campaign (he's also a Mike Gamboa fan). He actually gave some pretty good basketball analysis. OK din kausap.

LION
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM

In addition to being a PHIVOLCS employee, Hector is also a BS Accounting graduate of, you guessed it, Adamson University.

He watches basketball games during office hours. Naka official leave ba yan palagi? ;D

jembengzon
04-08-2010, 02:36 PM
As hecklers go, he probably stands out the most because he's the most vocal and most active. But he's all right. Got to talk to him once during a UP game sometime in the middle of that 0-14 campaign (he's also a Mike Gamboa fan). He actually gave some pretty good basketball analysis. OK din kausap.

yes, as long as you maintain a healthy distance ;D; pero mabait si hector :)

salsa caballero
04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
[/quote]

yes, as long as you maintain a healthy distance ;D
[/quote]

You said it. When's his birthday? I know Ghostrider wants to give him a spitoon...

nastrans
04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I agree mabait yan si Hector minsan nga lang pag talagang super support yan sa Adamson and mostly Adamson players during the game napapaaway yan.

OT muna, I remember isa dun sa mga gay professional hecklers nakikipagalaskahan kay Bringas nung nasa Baste pa siya, may hinirit tong heckler na to na "isasama kita sa Isetan" sabay ngiti :D

bchoter
04-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Nung championship season ng UST lagi akong recipient sa mga reserved seats ni Hector. Paminsan minsan nakakakuha din ako ng tickets. Same with pio's he comes across as a knowledgeable follower. Of course may mga antiks ssiya na hindi angkop sa panlasa ng iba (o ng nakararami)

car_kotse
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Now I know his real name. For the longest time, I just refer to him/her as "Mama Falcon". :D :D :D

Sam Miguel
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM

He watches basketball games during office hours. Naka official leave ba yan palagi? ;D

Maybe he monitors seismic activity in sporting venues to determine their quake-readiness... :-X

maroonmartian
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I saw him yesterday during the opening of V-League. There is no Adamson games but he stayed to cheer for FEU. As for checking the buildings, that is possible. The different sporting venue are actually one of the most earthquake-prone structures.

THE ONLOOKER
04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Hector Tabuzo is his real name, but if he tells you that he's a graduate, professor or staff in Adamson University, he's definitely lying. ;D

He has a UAAP press ID last season 72. He's a bearer of a UAAP officials ID last season 71. ;)

aknoy023
05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
kaht sinong player nmn ata kilala nya..madalas nya kausap mga player ng FEU.then si paul lee... pero pag may game na nakakalimut na sya sa mga kakilala nya o kani kanina lang eh kausap nya..He's for nuyles..sabi nya kasi taga bicol

Sam Miguel
07-08-2010, 07:01 AM
I think this belongs exactly in this thread.

From the UAAP Board - - -

UAAP FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

Adopted by the UAAP Board July 2010

Rationale:
Historically, sport was determined to be the more positive way of settling disputes
between warring nation states. Why? Because rules were instigated to effect a measure
of control on the athletes and the conduct of the activity. Next, the officials saw to it that
the rules were applied to all and last, the fans could cheer for their “heroes” who brought
them honor and glory. This illustrates the connection between these three participants
involved in a sport event which has thus remained to the present.
As the official organizing body of the UAAP, the Board of Directors observed the
escalating problem of violence during UAAP games, in particular, those involving
players and fans. With the overall objective of creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable
experience for all supporters/participants of UAAP games/events, the UAAP Board of
Directors prepared this Fan Code of Conduct as a guide to expected behaviors. These are
the following:
1. Athletes, coaches and sport officials will respect and appreciate each and every fan.
2. Fans will be treated in a consistent, professional and courteous manner by all UAAP/
sport facility personnel.
3. Fans will sit only in their ticketed seats and show their tickets when requested.
4. Fans will enjoy the UAAP sport event free from disruptive behavior, including foul or
abusive language or obscene gestures (i.e. fighting, taunting, or engaging in any action
that may harm, endanger, threaten, or bring discomfort to anyone in the stadium). Any
fan engaging in such will be warned by the UAAP/sport facility personnel. A repetition
of said behavior will subject the fan to ejection from the facility.
5. Fans carrying signs or wearing clothing with obscene, deregatory or indecent messages
will be requested to discard said sign/wear the shirt inside out.
6. Fans observed to be under the influence of a prohibitive substance (i.e. alcoholic
beverage, dangerous drug, etc) may need intervention and must be handled in a prompt
and safe manner by the UAAP/sport facility security/personnel.
7. Fans will not engage in fighting or throwing objects. Those who engage in any of these
actions will immediately be ejected from the game/venue.
8. Fans will smoke in designated smoking areas only.
9. Fans will comply with requests from sport facility personnel regarding facility
operations and emergency response procedures.
10. Fans in possession of any item considered dangerous by the UAAP/sport facility
personnel will be requested to turn over said item which may be retrieved after the event.
Fans may report any inappropriate behavior to the sport facility personnel at 5264553 and
please indicate contact number of UAAP host school .

Sam Miguel
08-02-2010, 07:44 AM
From Inquirer Sports - - -

Hot-shooting Tams still unscathed; Archers trip Tigers

By Jasmine Payo

MANILA, Philippines-- Far Eastern University takes pride in its defensive game. But it was the Tamaraws' offense, anchored on white-hot shooting, that shone Sunday.

The unbeaten Tamaraws recorded the highest shooting percentage in seven years to clip the Adamson Falcons, 74-65, and strengthen their hold of the top spot in the 73rd UAAP men's basketball tournament at the PhilSports Arena.

RR Garcia led a balanced charge with 16 points as the Tamaraws registered an impressive 57.4 percent shooting clip.

"I can't say anything more, I'm proud of the boys," said FEU coach Glenn Capacio. "From our first group to the third group, the intensity was the same. Offensively and defensively, this was our best game."

And as the title-favorite Tamaraws continued to live up to its billing, La Salle's young Green Archers sustained their surprise run by grabbing solo second after downing University of Santo Tomas, 61-53, in the second game.

The Archers raced to a 19-point advantage, 41-22, and bucked the Tigers' fourth-quarter rally on the way to their fourth victory in six games.

Jovet Mendoza topscored with 16 points, but the Archers also drew solid games from rookies Almond Vosotros and Luigi dela Paz.

"Our game plan was to play defense above the three-point area because we know UST loves to shoot," said La Salle coach Dindo Pumaren.

Adamson fell to a share of third with the Ateneo Blue Eagles at 3-2, while UST slipped to fifth at 3-3.

The Tigers came as close as four points, 53-49, with Chris Camus sparking the run and Clark Bautista nailing three of his five triples in the fourth quarter.

"I just reminded the players to make some stops, and luckily we did," said Pumaren.

The Tamaraws' were virtually unstoppable from the field, recording the highest shooting clip since the University of the East shot 60 percent in its 80-69 triumph over National University on Sept 4, 2003.

FEU veteran Aldrech Ramos collected 13 points, seven rebounds and two blocks, while Cameroonian Pipo Noundou posted a double-double of 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Tamaraws.

"I know that the other teams are focusing their defense on me, so it's good that everyone's contributing," said Garcia, a former RP Youth Team member.

The Tamaraws had a staggering 60.7 shooting clip in the first half for a 42-32 advantage, before stretching the gap to as many as 15 points, 58-43, in the third quarter.

But Capacio said the Tamaraws, who will shoot for a first-round sweep against the Tigers on Saturday, need to work on their end game. "I'm not happy with our finish, we had turnovers down the stretch," said Capacio.

Alex Nuyles, who shot a game-high 23 points, towed the Falcons within seven, 58-51, before the Tamaraws responded with a 14-5 spurt to erect a 72-56 lead with four minutes left.

The Tigers had 16 turnovers in the first two quarters as the Archers coasted to a 37-22 halftime advantage.

Bautista, who paced the Tigers with 18 points, accounted for all but one of UST's six total three-pointers in the game. The Tigers averaged 10 triples per game in its previous five outings.

Regular Grey
08-02-2010, 08:30 AM
duda ko, itong si heckler ang malas sa team niya. ;D

Joescoundrel
08-02-2010, 09:50 AM
^ You may have a point there... :-X

Joescoundrel
08-09-2010, 09:00 AM
C/o Philippine Star ___

Eagles rock Warriors; Falcons elude Archers

By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star)

Erik Salamat presided over a torrid fourth quarter attack as Ateneo repulsed University of the East, 80-73, to finish second after the first round of eliminations yesterday in the UAAP Season 73 seniors basketball tournament.

Salamat hit back-to-back triples and canned three foul shots to fire up the Eagles in a 29-16 run in the final quarter that propelled the Katipunan-based cagers to a 5-2 card, two games behind unbeaten leader Far Eastern U (7-0).

Adamson also wrapped up its first round campaign with a 5-2 slate for the No. 3 slot after prevailing over La Salle in come-from-behind fashion, 70-68, earlier.

“We struggled the entire game offensively and the two three-point shots of Erik really got us back into the game and lifted our spirits a little bit and our morale. He really came up big time for us today,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black of his skipper, who had 10 points in the fourth for a game-high 23.

“Defensively, we’re a little bit off, they (Warriors) were able to hit their outside shots. But Erik came up with big shots in the end and Juami Tiongson also had big baskets down the stretch (that pulled us through),” Black said.

Salamat’s nine straight points forced a standoff at 63 after UE built a 51-44 lead late in the third. His energy rubbed off on Emman Monfort and Kirk Long, who each connected on a triple, and Tiongson, who had two straight 15-footers that gave Ateneo a 77-71 cushion with 1:06 left.

Nico Salva and Justine Chua backstopped Salamat with 13 apiece while Long finished with 10.

Paul Lee (16 points, nine rebounds and seven assists) and Kenneth Acibar (14 points and 10 boards) led UE, which finished second last year but closed out the first round elims with a woeful 1-6.

After playing man-to-man all year long and the first three periods against La Salle, the Adamson Falcons suddenly switched to zone and outplayed the Archers in the last 10 minutes, 18-9, to post their best first-round record since the Final Four format was introduced in 1994.

“We made a major adjustment in defense and that was the key,” said Adamson coach Leo Austria.

“They did not expect us to play zone since we’ve never played zone in the summer leagues and in the first six games. And we know we cannot contain La Salle ‘s offense from start to finish with a man-to-man defense, so we made that adjustment in the fourth quarter.”

Throwing the Archers off guard, the Falcons methodically extinguished La Salle ‘s 54-46 lead, with Jan Colina, Lester Alvarez, Alex Nuyles and Eric Camson doing the most damage.

Camson nailed a basket underneath to give Adamson a 67-66 spread but DLSU retook the upperhand, 68-67, on a drive by Joseph Tolentino with 1:22 to go.

Nuyles then swished an acrobatic shot to hand the edge back to the Falcons, 69-68, with 35 seconds left.

The 6-4 Camson later disrupted Joseph Tolentino’s pass to Alvin Villanueva to restore possession for Adamson then connected on a split following DLSU’s three “duty fouls” for a 70-68 tear, 12.9 ticks to go.

Will Stinnett and Alvarez foiled Luigi de la Paz’s offensive maneuver in the final 5.6 seconds to seal the triumph for AdU.

La Salle ended the first-round with a 4-3 slate.

Colina normed 16 markers for AdU while Camson added 15 and Alvarez had 12, seven of them in the final canto.

Rookie de la Paz led the way for La Salle with 13, followed by Joshua Webb, Joseph Marata and Tolentino with 10 apiece.

In women’s action, Adamson demolished University of the East, 114-72, to catch up with idle Far Eastern at the helm at 6-0.

Anna Buendia (22), Analyn Almasan (20), Gretchie Roque (18), Snow Penaranda (16) and Fria Bernardo (12) combined for 88 points, which were good enough to beat the entire Lady Warriors side.

UE, which was led by Cindy Resultay’s 26, absorbed its sixth straight loss to remain entrenched at the cellar.

Santo Tomas disposed of National U, 72-68, to share third spot with La Salle at 4-2.

Notes: US Ambassador to the Philippines Harry Thomas was on hand to witness the Ateneo-UE match, as did visiting Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra, who watched the third quarter of the game.

Jeep
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
hector must be in 7th heaven even as we speak :).

congrats to adamson for keeping their heads in the game and pulling out this win vs. DLSU! magaling si coach leo ninyo. but that won't amount to much if he doesn't have the tools to put his gameplan to work. sa nakikita ko, magiging mas matindi kayong kakompetensya sa mga darating na linggo.

good luck!

Jeep
08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
why am i still the only one visiting the falcons' lair? even after the tremendous games they've had slaying giants like lasalle -- and just recently the biggest of them all, the FEU tamaraws -- this place is still quiet.

anyway, great games thus far, adamson! congrats! as a BEN regular and blue-and-white booster, i am still very hopeful the blue eagles can continue their winning streak against you guys. but this year, more than ever, you are in a great position to break that streak.

mangtsito
08-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Gusto kong malaman kung paano nakakakuha ng magandang seats itong si Hector.

At kung totoo mang may press ID siya, paano din siya nakakuha nun gayong wala namang kinalaman sa press ang PHIVOLCS (except kung may lindol at pagsabog ng bulkan.)

maroonmartian
08-14-2010, 11:07 AM
From http://ph.promotion.yahoo.com/college-hoops/campus-coverage-article?blogid=college_hoops&postid=107&viewPost=1

Who are the Falcon Flowers?
By Josiah Israel Albelda, For Yahoo! Southeast Asia Monday August 9, 2010 06:30 pm PDT

Meet these two fans who add a lot of color to the Adamson games.

Late in the third quarter of their game against De La Salle, Adamson forward Jan Colina skied high to block Luigi dela Paz. Colina was quite successful, erasing the rookie's layup attempt and earning screams from the crowd.

Then came a whistle. There was a foul.

Hector Tabuzo, waving his shiny blue Jan Colina streamer, ran amuck and threw invectives at the referee. "Ayusin mo tawag mo ref! Ayusin mooooooo!" he screamed as he lunged through the steel fence separating the playing court from the ringside seats.

Not a few eyes were fixed on this gay man, who has been doing this for the past seven seasons.

Behind him was Teddy, a chubby "lass" with spiked hair and a face reddened by whitening soap. He was echoing the same thing: "Ayusin mo tawag mo ref!"

Hector and Teddy might be a couple of big reasons why the Adamson Falcons have soared beyond expectations in the first round of Season 73 of the UAAP men's basketball tournament.

Their courtside antics, which draw the ire of opposing fans and the support of the Adamson faithful, have added spice to the already flavorful world of UAAP hoops.

"Go Adamson! Fight! Fight! Fight!" the duo screamed as the Falcons inched closer to the Green Archers.

'Mababait sila'

Many may wonder why these people shout, scream and dance their hearts out for the San Marcelino squad. Hector, according to Teddy, has a day job at the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology while the latter maintains a small eatery with his sister.

"Mababait sila at magagaling," said Hector, who has been cheering for the team since Season 66. Teddy shared the same sentiment. "Kahit sa amin, mabait sila."

This kindness might have been the very reason why the two go all out every time Adamson has a game. They are the epitomes of energy, endlessly jumping, gyrating and, sometimes, even rolling on the floor for their beloved team.

As a matter of fact, the two have been so immersed in the Falcons' lair that Hector was given his own UAAP ID, usually reserved for athletics officials, the media and the league's sponsors.

Hector, also an irrepressible Alaska fan, said that he was tagged along by former head coach Luigi Trillo, who is now an assistant to Leo Austria, after Trillo saw his dedication as an Aces diehard.

A bright future

For all the woes that Adamson has gone through -- a string of Final Four misses and scores of losses -- over the past few years, Hector and Teddy see a bright future for the Falcons.

"I believe that we can go through all the way to the finals," Teddy proudly exclaimed. "Alex Nuyles, Jan Colina and Lester Alvarez are all great players."

Hector also envisions nothing short of a Final Four appearance for this stacked squad. "Sigurado na kami sa Final Four. And of course, I think we could go all the way."

On the court, Alvarez drained a trey. The Falcons slowly took the driver's seat and never relinquished it. Adamson streaked to its fifth win, good for second in a tournament where they were not one of the favorites.

I turned around. There they were, waving their Lester Alvarez streamer and gyrating to the beat of the Adamson Pep Squad, in seventh heaven because of yet another win.

"Go Adamson! Fight! Fight! Fight!"

As fans slowly walked out of the PhilSports Arena on a rainy Sunday afternoon, someone shouted at Hector: "Hector! Panalo ka na naman."

The Falcon Flower just laughed, looked at his partner Teddy, and proceeded to the Adamson dugout.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falcon Flower ;D This article is overdue I believe. Tuwang tuwa na naman siya siguro dahil nasa solo second sila as of this time.

pepman
09-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Ah! I remember him. Season 71, UE-ADMU, sa ULTRA, saw him holding a jersey of Bacon Austria.

pablohoney
09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Falcon Flower.

Naknangpoots. ;D
Ang bangis.

blu45
09-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Bakit kaya lumipat ng pwesto si Hector sa final 4 game kanina? He was at his usual spot behind the ring but he later transferred to the lower box area (Adamson side). Hindi nakayanan na natambakan sila or may pumatol sa kanya na Ateneo fan?

Anyway, I've had interactions with Hector and ok naman siya. Tuwing kasama ko sa game yung barkada ko na may magnet sa bading, nilalapitan kami.

the_nineyearold
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know what they feed this guy, but man is he passionate once the game gets going. Tuturo-turo sa players, referees, and non-stop shouting while he's at it. Paglabas naman ng arena, parang wala lang!

LION
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Carrions? ;D

Joescoundrel
01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Happy New Year from the Fr Martin Cup!

All of these schedules will be played at Arellano Gym in Manila

Sunday January 9 starting at 9:00 AM - - -

Adamson v NU (Women)
UP v Fatima (Women)
JRU v Letran (Men)
TIP v Rogationist (Men)

Saturday January 15 starting at 9:00 AM - - -

CEU v Lasalle (Women)
UE v Lasalle (Men)
CEU v Adamson (Men)
Fatima v JRU (Men)

Sunday January 16 starting at 9:00 AM - - -

Fatima v St Benilde (Women)
NU B v St Benilde B (Men)
NU A v St Benilde A (Men)
Rogationist v STI B (Men)

Saturday January 22 starting at 9:00 AM - - -

St Benilde v CEU (Women)
Adamson v Letran (Men)
UE v San Beda (Men)
Fatima v Rogationist (Men)
EAC v Informatics (Men)

yellow_we
02-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Saw Hector escorted by a security personnel to leave the Arena yesterday during DLSU vs UST uaap vball match. ;D Not sure for what reason though but I think he had nasty arguments with some fans from the LaSalle galllery where he was also seated. Hindi pa ba sya banned sa Arena? Ang alam ko kase matagal nang nirereklamo yang baklang jologs na yan e. :o

mangtsito
02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Jologs na nakakakuha ng magandang seats sa UAAP games. A rare breed.

Joescoundrel
03-14-2011, 09:27 AM
JRU-San Beda in Fr Martin Finals

Arellano Gym Manila - NCAA stalwarts Jose Rizal and San Beda bested separate foes to arrange a winner-take-all championship in the ongoing Fr Martin Cup Open Division yesterday afternoon.

JRU leaned on the clutch shooting of Nate Matute and steady play-making of Alex Almario in the payoff fourth period to eke out a tough win over NU 71-69. JRU played sans their two African imports, Etame Joe and Nchotu Njei, who were at the venue in street clothes.

NU looked headed for the win as they controlled the first half behind the duo of former RP Youth standouts Joseph Terso, Rey Parks and Emmanuel Mbe. But Jon Lopez, Jecster Apinan, Matute and Almario put on several short but heated runs in the second half to turn things in JRU's favor.

Matute and Almario led JRU with 13 points each and combined for six steals.

Parks had a game-high 19 points but went 0-6 on treys in the second half.

Reigning NCAA champion San Beda had some moments of anxiety but eventually prevailed over a shorter Adamson squad 80-72, thanks to the power plays of new African import Olaide Adeogan and the hot shooting of Anthony Semerad.

Adamson hung tough behind speedy guards Jeric Canada and Lester Alvarez but just could not match up against the size and depth of San Beda.

Semerad led all scorers with 16 points while Olaide added 15 points and 10 rebounds with two blocks.

Canada had 13 points for Adamson.

Finals are set for Sunday 20 March at Arellano Gym in Manila. 9:00 AM for the women, 11:00 AM for the men.

LION
03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Looking at the sad sad sad sad face of Hector after the game yesterday..................... PRICELESS!!! ;D

lekiboy
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Looking at the sad sad sad sad face of Hector after the game yesterday..................... PRICELESS!!! ;D

di naman bastos mga hinirit ni hector...maingay lang...natakot siguro nung nakita ka tol... :)

Joescoundrel
03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
SANDUGO COLLEGIATE DEVELOPMENTAL LEAGUE SET

Manila - Is there room for one more summer varsity basketball tournament? Nino Singco, a veteran of developmental basketball and sports development, certainly thinks so. "We thought there should be a tournament exclusively for the B Teams, a real developmental tournament," he explained.

Singco, the moving force behind the highly successful Futures Basketball League for kids, teamed with the very popular outdoor footwear and apparel maker Sandugo, to put together the Sandugo Collegiate Developmental League. They open on Monday 4 April at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum in Manila at 12:30 PM; admission is free and open to the public.

Seeing action in the tournament are the B Teams of Adamson University, Far Eastern University, and the College of St Benilde; also seeing action are STI College, Technological Institute of the Philippines, Colegio De Santa Monica and Trinity University of Asia. "We hope to give as many teams as possible exposure in the CDL," Singco said.

Opening day games pit St Benilde versus TIP at 2:00 PM followed by the 4:00 PM main game between Santa Monica and Adamson.

Please check the CDL Forum for other details.

Jeep
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
ano ba talaga nangyari kay hector? balita kasi na pinuruhan daw ni coach roger gorayeb ng mga suntok. :(

sana naman ay di nabalya si hector. and hope he will be more circumspect next time. OK lang yung school spirit, pero medyo alalay lang sa heckling.

Joescoundrel
06-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Fil Oil semis are set for this Friday 10 June 2011 a the Arena in San Juan, to be broadcast live via Studio 23.

2:00 PM = San Beda versus Adamson. San Beda ripped UP by 30-something points thanks to a furious second period output, while Adamson got the better of San Sebastian by nine points to set up this match.

4:00 PM = Ateneo versus FEU. Ateneo overcame 24 points and 22 rebounds from Yousef Taha to beat Mapua 63-56. FEU hung tough from the freethrow line and got 30 points from reigning UAAP MVP Ryan Roose Garcia to beat Lasalle 73-68 to reprise the 2010 UAAP Finals.

Sam Miguel
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
ADAMSON UNIVERSITY

AGUSTIN, Mike – 6-2 F
ALVAREZ, Lester – 5-7 G
BRONDIAL, Rodney – 6-4 C
CABRERA, Roider – 6-3 F
CAMSON, Eric – 6-4 F
CAÑADA, Jerick – 5-7 G
COLINA, Jan – 6-3 F
ETRONE, Allen – 6-1 G
LOZADA, Janus – 6-3 F/G
MANUEL, Genesis – 6-3 F
MANYARA, Austin – 6-6 C
MONTECLARO, Ryan – 5-7 G
NUYLES, Alex – 6-1 G/F
OLALIA, Jeff – 6-2 F
PETILOS, Harry – 6-2 F
RIOS, Jansen – 6-2 F
Head coach: AUSTRIA, Leo (5th season)

maroonmartian
09-22-2011, 12:11 AM
^ madalas di ito sa mga ilang laro ng other Adamson teams lalo na sa Lady Falcons na gusto makaGRANDSLAM. Of course andun din siya sa mga volleyball games.

Ano na kaya feeling niya minalas na naman ng team niya (pero kung ako na di nakaranas ng Final 4 sa UP tatangapin ko na yun)?

Joescoundrel
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
There will be Games 3 for both the Juniors and the Women.

Apparently both games were played through before the UAAP decided to postpone the Men's Game 2.

NU beat FEU FERN, while FEU beat Adamson, as both divisions go to a Game 3 this Sunday 2 October at the Arena in San Juan.

bchoter
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
^ Dito na post yung message. Just shows that, to us, Hector is THE Admason :D

Wang-Bu
09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
buti nga sir bchoter nakita ko pa si hector kahapon lang pakalat-kalat sa cubao, kasi matapos silang gahasain ng FEU sa final 4 akala ko papatiwakal na siya, hehe!

Jeep
09-28-2011, 10:51 AM
ang nakakatawa, mga ser, mukha yatang sa FEU siya kumakampi sa serye ng finals kontra ateneo. i may be wrong, though. binati pa ako ng "good luck" nang masalubong ko yan sa gateway bago magsimula ang game 1. he sounded sincere naman, kaya akala ko sa amin siya kakampi tulad ng mga nakaraang taon hehehe.

pero OK lang kung masaya siya sa FEU. :)

Joescoundrel
10-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Sunday October 16 at Arellano - - -

SENIOR QUARTERFINALS

9:00 am 1) San Beda vs. De La Salle U.
10:30 am 2) Ateneo U. vs. U.E.
12:00 nn 3) St. Benilde vs. U.P.
1:30 pm 4) Adamson U. vs. E.A.C.

maroonmartian
10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
^ Now I get the point why the schedule of FMC is posted here. Hector is very visible at every Adamson game just like this one. For those who want to learn heckling and sport fanaticism at its best, learn from this guy. ;D

All respect for this guy. Kaya marami rin naman siya kaibigan na players.

Joescoundrel
10-21-2011, 08:36 AM
From the Inquirer - - -

PBA D-League: Freego Jeans clobbers PC Gilmore

Freego Jeans flexed its muscles in the opening day of 2011 PBA D-League Aspirants Cup with a 85-52 clobbering of an overhauled PC Gilmore Thursday at the Ynares Sports Center in Pasig.

Made up of a core of players from Adamson and a few standouts from Ateneo, Freego Jeans head coach Leo Austria admitted he was surprised with his squad’s dominating performance as they only had little time to gel.

“The players from Ateneo started playing just last Wednesday, some joined us just yesterday [Wednesday]. So I was surprised, but I’m happy because they fit my system,” said Austria, also Adamson’s mentor in the UAAP.

Rodney Brondial poured eight of his total 12 points in the payoff period where Freego Jeans led by as many as 42 points, 76-34.

Fellow Falcons Lester Alvarez and Eric Camson each added 10 markers.

Former Blue Eagles Bacon Austria, Jumbo Escueta and Chris Sumalinog, meanwhile, combined for 28 points.

“They (players from Ateneo) already know my system, maybe because we battled each other a lot in the UAAP,” added Austria.

Freego refused to pull punches after it readily pulled away from the Wizards in the second quarter.

Macky Acosta did most of the work with 18 points for PC Gilmore, although it didn’t quite make a glaring difference as his squad stared at a huge deficit all game.

The Wizards only have four holdovers from the squad, which reached the semifinals of the PBA D-League Foundation cup last summer.

Joescoundrel
10-24-2011, 08:20 AM
San Beda's Team Behold opened up a close game early in the second epriod and never looked back, as they annexed the Fr Martin Cup 2nd Division championship against Adamson B 88-60 at the Arellano gym in Manila.

First period action saw a lot of unforced errors as Ivan Ludovice and Julius Armon were overcooking outlet passes and the San Beda halfcourt wasn't spacing itself properly against the 2-3 zone of Adamson. Ingrid Sewa, the wide-bodied African import of Adamson, was unbelievably staying toe to toe with the more highly regarded Ola Adeogun in their battle in the lane. Sewa had his first shot rejected by Adeogun but he hung tough inside for a couple of lay-ins.

From a close 22-16 count at the end of the opening period, the B Lions suddenly went on a 15-2 run that made it 36-23 early in the second period. Ludovice, Kinsman Frando and Armon were suddenly off to the races, and the Adamson transition defense was caught napping for stretches too long. San Beda never looked back from there.

In the second half, the B Lions had erected as much as a 78-47 lead. Adeogun already had at least two good dunks by that time, including a two-handed showstopper when Armon bounced the ball off the back-glass on a fastbreak. Armon had also gotten a tomahawk slam of his own.

Jerico Cruz and Jon Cabigas tried to keep the B Falcons in the fight, but Sewa had gotten frustrated on offense and subsequently stopped trying on defense. Rauf Julkipli, who had led Adamosn past Ateneo's Team Glory B in their semis encounter, seemed to have run out of ammunition in this game. His reliever Don Penalosa could not get going either.

Armon led all scorers with 23 points, while Adeogun had 20 points and 15 rebounds. Cruz had 14 for Adamson with Cabigas addidng 12. Frando came off the bench to chip in 10 points for San Beda.

oca
10-24-2011, 08:30 AM
On 2 different occasions in this just concluded FMC, I saw Josan Nimes of Mapua at the seating section behind the Adamson bench. May kamag-anak o matalik na kaibigan ba siya dyan sa Adamson?

mighty_lion
10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
^ OMG si Hector? ;D

Joescoundrel
10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
On 2 different occasions in this just concluded FMC, I saw Josan Nimes of Mapua at the seating section behind the Adamson bench. May kamag-anak o matalik na kaibigan ba siya dyan sa Adamson?

Boss Oca, bes pren ni Josan Nimes si Jerico Cruz ng Adamson, mula pa nung nasa Guam sila.

oca
10-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Boss Oca, bes pren ni Josan Nimes si Jerico Cruz ng Adamson, mula pa nung nasa Guam sila.

Thanks for the info.

Pizza Guy
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
For Season 74, wala raw official UAAP ID si Hector.

How in the world did he/she manage to enter Araneta without a ticket and stay at the Patron area???

maroonmartian
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
For Season 74, wala raw official UAAP ID si Hector.

How in the world did he/she manage to enter Araneta without a ticket and stay at the Patron area???

I was treated by a mom of a former classmate to the patron area. Let's just say he has so many friends there. Gays, moms, dads,and players whom he had shown support. Totoong tao rin naman.He knows the boundaries as a fan and don't meddle with their personal affairs. Parang mama na rin sa mga players. Kaya ayon naambon ng grasya.Pero napipikon din naman siya pero bihira.

Joescoundrel
11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
From the PCCL Media Center c/o Philstar - - -

Falcons seal showdown versus Stags

Caught up in a tight playing schedule, Adamson University flexed just enough muscle to whip Jose Rizal, 73-58, and advance into the next phase in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) Sweet 16 stepladder knockout playoffs at The Arena in San Juan yesterday.

Kenyan center Austin Manyara unloaded seven points in a 17-4 fourth-quarter run that all but sealed it for the Falcons, whose coach and key players had to rush to the AdU gym immediately after the game to join Freego Jeans in the PBA D-League.

“We’re happy we won considering some of the players were thinking about our game for Freego, which was just one hour away. We were down in the first half and I told my players to concentrate on this game (PCCL) because this is our priority, student (league) first before commercial (league),” said Austria.

The Adamson and Freego mentor, in fact, sent Lester Alvarez, who suffered a toe injury in the first half, Roider Cabrera and Rodney Brondial to the Falcons’ gym ahead of the others.

Manyara (16 points, nine rebounds), Janus Lozada (14 points, 11 rebounds, five assists) and Eric Camson (seven points, 13 rebounds) finished the match and followed suit, as did the JRU players in the Freego lineup, Jeckster Apinan (17 markers) and John Lopez (four points, 10 rebounds).

The Falcons forged a duel with NCAA runner-up San Sebastian tomorrow, facing the same predicament of another game set in the D-League.

The Bombers actually stormed ahead to 20-15 against a Falcons team that’s apparently conserving energy for their next assignment of the day.

In the second game, Letran nipped La Salle, 66-61, to advance against UAAP Season 74 runner-up Far Eastern.

Kevin Alas drilled in 14 points, including a clutch basket that gave the Knights a 63-59 cushion going to the last 1:22, in his valedictory before leaving for the US for a month-long training with American Basketball Association team LA Slam.

Raymond Almazan dished off a near-triple-double with 10 points, 17 rebounds and seven blocks to complement Alas and the 14 points of Kevin Racal and 11 of Mark Cruz.

“This is a bonus win for us because we haven’t really been training together. Our practice is in conflict with that of the players’ D-League teams and as I promised them after the NCAA, I won’t force them to practice with Letran,” said Knights coach Louie Alas, who will also be gone for a month to be with Kevin and the family in the US.

Joescoundrel
11-25-2011, 09:35 AM
From the PCCL Media Center c/o Philstar - - -

Stags outlast Falcons, duel Knights next

San Sebastian got stretched to the limit by Adamson but got the huge lift from its “Big 3” as the Stags edged the Falcons in overtime, 85-83, to move closer to a Final Four slot in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League at FilOil Flying V Arena yesterday.

Given relief from their duties with NLEX in the PBA D-League, Ronald Pascual (29 points, 16 rebounds), Calvin Abueva (24 points, 22 rebounds) and Ian Sangalang (18 points, 13 rebounds) delivered the goods as SSCR advanced to the next phase of the Sweet 16 stepladder playoffs.

The Stags will face the Letran Knights in a knockout match for the second and last Final Four berth in the Luzon-Metro Manila bracket Wednesday at the Ormoc Astrodome in Ormoc City.

Mark Cruz and Raymond Almazan filled up for the absence of team leader Kevin Alas as Letran thumped Far Eastern, 73-64.

Cruz erupted for 25 points to go with two rebounds and four assists while Almazan made 14 markers, 16 rebounds and six blocks as the two combined in a 10-0 windup that settled the issue for the Knights.

Letran played without Alas, who is currently in the US to train with American Basketball Assiciation (ABA) team Los Angeles Slam.

After failing to finish off the tired but stubborn Falcons despite a six-point lead in the last 16.2 seconds of regulation, the trio went to work at the start of extension, conspiring in a 9-2 blast that pushed the Stags ahead, 83-76, 2:23 left.

The ever resilient Falcons threatened to within 80-83 on a putback by Rodney Brondial and a fastbreak play of Jeric Canada with still 31.3 seconds before Pascual gave them more breathing room, 85-80, on freebies off Roider Cabrera’s preemptive foul, 11.9 ticks left.

“We only prepared for one day and only had a complete roster to practice yesterday (Wednesday) so we were sluggish in the first half,” said SSC coach Topex Robinson, whose wards fell behind by 11-26 early in the second canto.

“I told them in the second half to focus on making defensive stops and let our defense feed our offense,” he added.

Pascual, who just recovered from intestinal flu, banged in four triples, including two in the third as SSC wrested the lead, 56-55.

The Stags took hold of the upperhand until 16.2 ticks mark of the fourth, when Abueva drove in for a 74-68 tear.

As if not playing a second outing over at the D-League immediately after this match, Adamson unleashed its long bombs, courtesy of Canada (7.5 seconds) and Cabrera (2.2), to send the game into OT.

SSC could have won it outright but Sangalang’s alleyhoop off Abueva pass rimmed out as time expired.

Canada unloaded 21 points, including five of the team’s 13 triples, to pace AdU, which rushed to the Trinity Gym to play as Freego Jeans in the D-League.

LION
11-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Wrong thread ka boss. ;D

Joescoundrel
11-25-2011, 02:13 PM
^ "Outlast Falcons" daw kasi... :-X

maroonmartian
11-27-2011, 06:05 AM
^Para hindi naman po wrong thread ito na lang po.Went yesterday to the Arena.Kuya Hector was there supporting Adamson. I asked for his autograph.My fault wrong timing but he game me his autograph anyway.

Andami niya kilala sa Arena so kahit iban yan wala tayo magagawa. ;D

fujima04
11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
^ "Outlast Falcons" daw kasi... :-X

And most importantly, Hector = Adamson :D

Joescoundrel
01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
From the D League media center c/o Inquirer Sports - - -

Freego ousts C. Lhuillier; NLEX stays alive

Freego Jeans leaned on another set of clutch performers to complete an upset sweep of Cebuana Lhuillier in overtime even as NLEX stayed alive in the PBA D-League’s Aspirants Cup semifinals Thursday.

Alex Nuyles came through in the extension and Eric Camson drained the marginal free throws as the Jeans Makers stunned the second-ranked Gems, 69-67, to claim the first championship berth at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.

“We were riding on our confidence from the first game,” said coach Leo Austria, whose wards also shocked the Gems in Game 1, 57-56, with Roider Cabrera hitting the game-winning triple at the buzzer.

Ian Sangalang and RR Garcia came to NLEX’s rescue in the other semifinal series as the Road Warriors averted an endgame collapse to survive Big Chill, 69-62, and forge a deciding Game 3.

Sangalang and Garcia teamed up for 10 of the the Road Warriors’ last 13 points to help put the defending champions back on top after blowing a 24-point advantage, 51-27, in the second half.

“They thought it was a won game already, but still, I credit the boys for sticking to our system and playing defense in the end,” said NLEX coach Boyet Fernandez. “At least, they never gave up.”

NLEX and Big Chill will dispute the last title berth in a winner-take-all duel on Tuesday.

Nuyles drained 18 points, including five straight in the extra period that gave the Jeans Makers a 66-63 lead with less than two minutes left.

The Gems tied it anew at 66 before Camson, drawing a foul from Terrence Romeo, nailed two clutch free throws, 68-66, with just 3.7 seconds remaining.

Sangalang shot 21 points, grabbed eight rebounds and had two steals and a pair of blocks for the Road Warriors, who got off to a fiery 21-9 start for a 21-point spread, 41-20, by halftime.

Garcia had 15 markers to go with five rebounds and five assists, while Clifford Hodge wound up with a double-double of 11 points and 12 boards for the Road Warriors.

After stunning the top seeds, 83-66, in the series opener, the Superchargers nearly pulled off another upset when they grabbed the lead at 57-56 with 3:51 left. But Garcia and Sangalang combined in an 8-0 spurt that propped NLEX up in the closing minutes.

“We won by a small margin, but it’s big for our team and I hope we can carry this over,” said Fernandez, who’s also looking forward to the return of fiery scorer Calvin Abueva in Game 3.

Abueva missed the game as he served a one-game suspension after getting slapped a flagrant foul category 2 in the opener last Tuesday.

The scores:

First Game
NLEX 69—Sangalang 21, Garcia 15, Hodge 11, Lanete 10, Eliis 4, Hermida 2, Arao 2, Monfort 2, Marcelo 1, Co 1.
BIG CHILL 62—Ponferrada 14, Jensen 12, Mallari 11, Reyes 8, Collado 7, Custodio 5, Maconocido 3, Dizon 2, Santos 0, Glorioso 0, Tan 0.
Quarters: 21-9, 41-20, 53-43, 69-62

Second Game
FREEGO 69—Nuyles 18, Alvarez 14, Lozada 11, Camson 8, Austria 7, Brondial 7, Manyara 2, Apinan 2, Sumalinog 0, Cabrera 0, Lopez 0.
C. LHUILLIER 67—Manuel 20, Llagas 18, Romeo 9, Celada 5, Taha 5, Alas 4, Hayes 3, Reyes 3, Exciminiano 0.
Quarters: 19-13, 34-32, 47-46, 61-61 (reg), 69-67 (OT)

Sam Miguel
05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Reyrey Parks has started trusting his teammates, conspiring with Emmanuel Mbe in the last minute and a half to lift NU over a stubborn Adamson side over the weekend in the Fil Oil 69-67. Mbe scored the last eight points of NU, six on nifty assists on the high-low game from Parks to prevent an upset by Adamson. Adamson was down as many as 16 points in this game, but suddenly came alive in the last mintue and a half. Roider Cabrera completed a rare four-point play that made it 63-all off an Mbe foul. Eric Camson and Alex Nuyles then got into a shot answering cotnest with Mbe. Mbe however had the last laugh as he hauled in an offensive rebound then jump-hooked the winning basket with only 1.4 seconds left. Mbe led all scorers with 26 points to go with his 13 rebounds.

Sam Miguel
06-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Ateneo De Manila was 2-3 yesterday in Fr Martin Cup action, as the Blue Eaglets defeated the Adamson Baby Falcons 66-61, the Blue Eagles licked the UP Fighting Maroons 65-53, while the Lady Eagles bowed to the FEU Lady Tams 43-41.

The Lasalle Lady Archers also disposed of the Fatima Lady Phoenix.

Men's quarterfinals will be tomorrow Tuesday at the San Beda gym in Mendiola, Manila commencing at 10:30 AM.

Matches in the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals are as follows:

JRU versus Letran
Ateneo A versus Perpetual Help
UE versus Lasalle
Adamson versus FEU

There will also be one last junior division elimination round game at 9:00 Am of this same game day pitting San Beda HS A versus STI Juniors.

All seminifnal games will be held on Thursday June 7 at Trinity University gym in E Rodriguez. Match-ups in teh senior division will be determined based on the outcomes of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals.

Ladies' semifinals have Lasalle versus Lyceum and FEU versus Adamson.

Finals for all three divisions will be on Sunday June 10 at the San Beda gym in Mendiola. It will be a one-game winner-take-all match for all three division championships.

Sam Miguel
06-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Game results of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals at San Beda yesterday:

San Beda HS A beat STI Juniors 91-56 (end of junior division eliminations)

JRU beat Letran 89-79
Ateneo A beat Perpetual 80-61
UE beat Lasalle 64-63
Adamson beat FEU 52-51

Sam Miguel
06-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Fr Martin Cup summer tournament Finals, this Sunday 10 June 2012, at San Beda, Mendiola:

10:00 AM Ateneo versus San Beda (Junior Division)
11:30 AM Lasalle versus Adamson (Women's Division)
1:00 PM Ateneo versus JRU (Men's Division)

Joescoundrel
06-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Ateneo De Manila survived torrid outside shooting from Jose Rizal to pull out a 98-92 victory in overtime and win their second Fr Martin Cup summer title in three years.

It was a nip and tuck affair as both sides played on short runs throughout regular time. JRU started off hot going up as much as 8-13 in the opening period before the Ateneo responded to turn things around 18-14. Guard Nate Matute got things going early for the Heavy Bombers scoring five of the first seven JRU points. Greg Slaughter and Nico Salva responded for the Blue Eagles with some nifty inside incursions.

Swingman Jon Villarias provided a spark off the bench for Coach Vergel Meneses, even as forwards Ron Carampil and Ralph Monserat provided relentless board work and inside points against the much taller Ateneo frontline.

Second half action saw Tonino Gonzaga and Keifer Ravena keeping the Blue Eagles firing when Salva and Slaughter needed a breather, taking turns attacking the basket and drawing trips to the freethrow line. JP Erram provided good spot minutes as a defensive presence inside, as did Justin Chua. Villarias, Carampil, Alex Almario and Matute however kept plugging away to keep the game tied at 60-all after three priods.

Up 77-69 midway through the payoff fourth period behind Salva and Slaughter, it looked like the Ateneo had the game in the bag. Villarias and Matute however were not done firing. Matute nailed back to back three-pointers to give the Heavy Bombers the lead 83-84 with only 23 seconds left. Coach Norman Black sued for time and guard Juami Tiongson was fouled on the ensuing play. Tiongson split his charities for the final count in regular time.

Both teams still managed to get into a slugfest in the extra period with the score knotted at 90-all on a Carampil jumper. Salva hit a pivotal basket and Slaughter and Ravena made some key free throws however for the final count.

Slaughter led all scorers with 28 points to go with 12 rebounds. Salva added 16 points and eight boards. Gonzaga had 15 and Ravena 12.

Villarias led JRU with 21 points while Matute added 14. Villarias and Matute combined for a half dozen treys.

On the distaff side, the Adamson Lady Falcons proved superior in all areas as they beat the Lasalle Lady Archers 62-43 to take the women's division title. Adamson used their superior athleticism and speed to overwhelm Lasalle especially on the early offense and dribble-drive and never relinquished the lead starting from the midway point of the second period.

Meanwhile, high school powerhouse San Beda continued its mastery over fellow high school superpower Ateneo De Manila, as the Red Cubs took the junior division title 91-75. RP Youth mainstays Arvie Tolentino and Jay Caracut led a balanced Red Cubs attack that turned a close contest in the first half into a second half rout.

Joescoundrel
07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

11:41 pm | Thursday, July 26th, 2012

FAR EASTERN University’s luck still hasn’t run out.

Leaning on their vaunted backcourt trio, the Tamaraws survived another cardiac game in nosing out the Adamson Falcons, 65-62, to keep the solo lead in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Terrence Romeo, RR Garcia and Cris Tolomia combined for FEU’s last 13 points even as the Tamaraws held on to their slim lead after a crucial turnover in the dwindling seconds.

“Another heart-attack game,” said coach Bert Flores after the Tamaraws stayed unbeaten in three games after pulling out close victories over University of Santo Tomas and La Salle.

Romeo tied his career-high of 23 points, including the marginal three-point play, 65-60, with 2:18 minutes left. He also dished out six assists.

“It’s still not the kind of game we’re looking for,” Flores said of his Tamaraws, who won their first two games by just an average of 1.5 points.

Earlier, National University recovered from a lopsided loss to Ateneo with a 67-50 dumping of University of the Philippines.

Ray Parks unloaded 18 points on top of four rebounds, six assists and three steals to power the Bulldogs to their second triumph in three games.

Emmanuel Mbe also had a huge double-double outing of 17 points and 16 boards for the Bulldogs, who stretched the gap to as many as 28 points, 56-28, in the final quarter.

“The ability to bounce back from a loss, especially a big loss to Ateneo, that’s one reason why I want to commend the boys,” NU coach Eric Altamirano said of his Bulldogs, who were outclassed by the four-time champion, 89-65, in a showdown tipped to be tight.

“We worked on the stuff we struggled with,” said Parks, last season’s MVP. “They (Blue Eagles) showed our weakness, but at the same time, it was a test of character.”

The Maroons dropped to 0-2 along with the Falcons.

The scores:

First Game

NU 67—Parks 18, Mbe 17, Javillonar 9, Roño 7, Alolino 6, Villamor 4, Ignacio 4, De Guzman 2, Singh 0, Rosario 0, Neypes 0, Labing-isa 0. Betayene 0.

UP 50—Silungan 11, Manuel 11, Montecastro 10, Ball 4, Lopez 4, Hipolito 4, Asilum 4, Soyud 2, Mbah 0, Romero 0, Padilla 0, Gamboa 0

Quarters: 16-10, 42-18, 52-28, 67-50

Second Game

FEU 65—Romeo 23, Garcia 12, Belo 9, Tolomia 6, Escoto 5, Hargrove 4, A. Bringas 4, M. Bringas 2, Pogoy 0, Cruz 0.

ADAMSON 62—Etrone 13, Camson 11, Brondial 11, Cruz 8, Petilos 7, Cabrera 4, Abrigo 4, Trollano 2, Nuyles 2, Rios 0, Monteclaro 0, Julkipli 0, Agustin 0.

Quarters: 15-15, 35-28, 50-49, 65-62

Joescoundrel
07-30-2012, 10:49 AM
By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

7:54 pm | Sunday, July 29th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines–Adamson squandered its superior lead but still survived with a 69-67 victory over pesky University of the Philippines Sunday in the 75th UAAP men’s basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Rodney Brondial sealed the go-ahead bucket for the Falcons, who teetered on the brink of defeat after the Maroons’ late rally in the payoff period which tied the game at 67 with 25 seconds left.

Brondial had a double-double performance of 10 points and 15 rebounds.

Jericho Cruz and Eric Camson, who alternated to give Adamson a 64-59 lead, meanwhile, carried the scoring cudgels with 19 points while Alex Nuyles scored 10 points.

“It’s an ugly win, but a win is a win. Players were panicking but they were able to recover,” said head coach Leo Austria, whose squad finally nailed the first victory.

The Falcons saw their 28-8 lead melt away in the second half, unable to sustain the intensity as the Maroons, at the same time, doubled their effort to catch up.

“We were able to survive despite all our turnovers. The good thing is that we won, that’s the best stat,” added Austria.

UP, still winless after three tries, even knotted the game three times in the payoff period behind efforts from Mark Lopez, Chris Ball and Alvin Padilla.

Lopez, who finished with a team-high 17 points knocked down a trey before Padilla scored a deuce to make it 67-all but ran out of time in its effort to go for a game-winner.

Lopez also hauled down six boards and four steals while Ball chipped in 13 points and five rebounds.

Joescoundrel
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

7:20 pm | Sunday, August 5th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—National University overwhelmed an undermanned Adamson University, 77-62, Sunday in the 75th UAAP men’s basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The Bulldogs, building momentum anew with their fourth victory, saw an opportunity to pound on the struggling Falcons with the loss of Alex Nuyles in the first quarter and never relented from there.

Even head coach Eric Altamirano admits that Nuyles’ departure gave his squad a leeway early.

“Nuyles’ injury helped us,” said Altamirano. “We started strong and we were able to sustain it.”

Emmanuel Mbe spearheaded the charge for the Bulldogs, who widened the gap by as far as 24 points twice in the game, with a double-double with 20 points and 15 boards.

Reigning MVP Bobby Ray Parks, who exited the game early due to injury, also cleaned up the glass pretty well with 11 rebounds while doling out 12 points.

Adamson, which only lost by double digits once last season, suffered another crushing setback, its third, along with its star Nuyles.

Nuyles, who opted against surgery and instead play through the injury, which has been nagging him since last year, reinjured his shoulder in the opening minutes.

Eric Camson stepped up for the Falcons with 13 points and eight boards, but his effort wasn’t enough to keep the game tight.

Roider Cabrera, who’s yet to have his breakout game this season, added 11 points and six boards while trusty center Rodney Brondial struggled with single digits.

Sam Miguel
08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Tigers smother Warriors, close in on leaders

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated August 13, 2012 12:00 AM

University of Santo Tomas came through with an overpowering performance to run down a hapless University of the East side, 85-69, and move a step closer to league-leading Ateneo and Far Eastern U in the 75th UAAP basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum yesterday.

Cameroonian Karim Abdul powered his way to 20 points and 19 rebounds while sophomore Kevin Ferrer had his best game of his young career with 16 points he highlighted with four triples to help propel the Tigers to their fourth straight victory against a defeat.

The win also moved UST half-a-game behind idle Ateneo, the reigning champion, and FEU, tied for the lead at 5-1.

And the Tigers did it without Jeric Teng, who sat out due to a strained knee, as they drew big games from second stringers Louie Vigil and Eduardo Dacquioag.

Vigil, who played high school ball for Jose Rizal, fired a career-high 13 points while Caquiaog scored all of his six points in one stretch in the second period when UST turned what was once a close contest into a rout.

“This is a breakout game for Ferrer, I’ve been waiting for that since last year,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio in Filipino. “The other guys who have limited time like Vigil and Daquioag also stepped up in the absence of Jeric and that helped us a lot.”

Earlier, La Salle leaned on rookie Jeron Teng and its defense late in the game to hold off Adamson, 56-52, and get back on track with a 3-3 card.

Teng led his team with 15 points, including a basket that gave the Archers the lead for good and a free throw that put away the Falcons.

La Salle coach Gee Abanilla said the injury to starting point guard LA Revilla, who tweaked an ankle in the first half, threw them off balanced.

“LA Revilla’s injury threw us off a bit, I hope it isn’t serious,” said Abanilla. “Good thing about it is that the rookies were given a chance to play and I think they perform really well.

“I hope they will perform better for us to do well in our future games,” he added.

Ryan Monteclaro led his team with 12 points but the Falcons missed main man Alex Nuyles, who will be out the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, that they couldn’t deliver when it mattered most. They fell to their fourth setback against a win.

Roider Cabrera gave Adamson a 52-51 lead with a little less than two minutes to go but the Falcons couldn’t score from there while Teng secured the victory with his clutch shooting.

bchoter
08-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Hector was still fuming when I had a chance to talk to him a few minutes before the 2nd game. "Bola ng Adamson yon, bulag ang mga *unprintables* referee na yan". When I remaked that he was in the opposite side of the court where it happened, he just said "Basta niluluto ng mga *more unprintables* na referee ang Adamson. Nakita mo naman ynug drive ni Jericho foul na foul yun hindi tinawagan. Nakakahiya yang La Salle na yan ha kailangan pa nila ng referee samantalang wala na si Nuyles".

Spoken like a true die hard :D

Joescoundrel
08-16-2012, 07:10 AM
INQUIRER.net

4:50 pm | Wednesday, August 15th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines – Roi Sumang took matters into his own hands to lift University of the East to its first win at the expense of Adamson, 71-66, Wednesday in the UAAP Season 75 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Sumang flourished in the clutch en route to a game-high 18 points, 16 of which came in the second half.

“I can’t explain. I’m so happy [to win]. Especially to the UE community. We just have to find a way to win. We never gave up,” said UE head coach Jerry Codinera.

The Red Warriors came out of their halftime huddle smoking and left the Falcons in the dust, 47-29, with 3:08 left in the third.

But it only took a matter of time before Adamson pulled to within three thrice but couldn’t come further, not with 23 misses at the free-throw line overall and six straight down the stretch.

“I just kept my composure and for the players, there will always be a run. Cabrera was getting his shots and we had a problem with that. In transition we found a way to sprint back,” said Codinera.

Codinera also commended his bench.

“I always tell the boys that it’s going to be hard for us to win with only two to three guys, dapat collective effort.”

Rey Sumido added 12 points while Gene Belleza and Adrian Santos chipped in with 11 and 10 points respectively.

UE and Adamson are now tied at 1-5.

Roider Cabrera came through with 16 points after an atrocious 0-of-10 shooting from downtown the last time out while Rodney Brondial notched a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds for Adamson.

Sam Miguel
08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
INQUIRER.net

5:00 pm | Sunday, August 26th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines – Far Eastern University pulled off another escape this time at the expense of Adamson, 76-68, Sunday in the UAAP Season 75 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Arvie Bringas scored all of his seven points in the last three minutes, including an undergoal stab that made it a two-possession game, 72-68, with 36.3 seconds left.

“Slow start kami, we expected the zone right away buti na lang we were able to convert our threes and finish strong,” said FEU head coach Bert Flores, whose squad improved to 7-2.

“Sabi sa ‘kin ni coach, fourth na, ito na yung time ko bumawi,” said Bringas, who also had seven rebounds.

Adamson looked primed for an upset even without the services of its starting center Rodney Brondial, who served a one-game suspension.

Terrence Romeo had 22 of his 27 points in the first half, most since former University of Santo Tomas forward Dylan Ababou unleashed 23 first-half points in 2009.

Romeo and Garcia took turns to keep FEU in the game. Garcia got his groove in the second half and even nailed the game-tying triple that quickly erased Adamson’s, 65-58 cushion it built with 4:56 left.

Romeo meanwhile, went berserk in the second quarter, hitting three straight triples that helped the Tamaraws regain the lead after trailing by as much as 10, 21-31.

Eric Camson notched 24 points and 13 rebounds while Jericho Cruz added 16 more but it wasn’t enough as the Falcons reeled to their sixth straight setback for a 1-8 record.

bchoter
08-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Only a day's rest between their NU (Aug. 30) and UST (Sept. 1) games? Parang hindi pinahahalagahan ng hosts ang pag aaral ng Falcons. Buti pa NU maganda ang pag kakaspread out ng games nila. Mahalaga sa kanila ang pagaaral ng Bulldogs

Joescoundrel
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

1:35 am | Friday, August 31st, 2012

Avoiding a repeat of its recent meltdown, National University quelled a late University of the East rally for an 83-74 victory in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay.

Ray Parks fired 21 points, including eight in the final quarter that helped the Bulldogs stay afloat after the Warriors had trimmed their 15-point lead, 67-52, to just three, 70-67.

“We didn’t play well today. We struggled and the game came down to the last minutes,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano after the Bulldogs rebounded from a heartbreaking overtime loss to UST, 58-57, where they blew a 17-point advantage.

The fifth-running Bulldogs improved to 6-4 despite the absence of Cameroonian center Emmanuel Mbe, who sat out the game due to a hip injury.

In the second game, Adamson snapped a six-game losing streak with a 75-70 triumph over the University of the Philippines.

The trio of Eric Camson (19 points and 14 rebounds), Jericho Cruz (17 points) and Rodney Brondial (15 points and 17 rebounds) delivered for the also-ran Falcons, who won for only the second time in 10 games.

Meanwhile, the league slapped a one-game ban on Far Eastern University bruiser Arvie Bringas and Ateneo center JP Erram for separate unsportsmanlike acts during Wednesday’s game won by the Blue Eagles, 77-64.

Bringas was ejected midway in the fourth quarter for spitting at Ateneo’s Justin Chua, while Erram was caught kicking FEU’s Carl Cruz after a game review.

UAAP commissioner Ato Badolato said yesterday that warnings had also been issued to Ateneo’s Greg Slaughter and Ryan Buenafe and FEU’s Mark Belo, Carl Cruz and Roger Pogoy for various infractions in the game.

“Prior to the spitting incident, [Slaughter] elbowed Bringas. I saw it in action,” said Badolato. “After we reviewed the tape, we also saw Pogoy giving an elbow when (Ateneo’s Juami) Tiongson fell in front of the FEU bench.”

Joescoundrel
09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
By Jasmine W. Payo

1:49 am | Sunday, September 2nd, 2012

RYAN Buenafe pumped in a career-high 24 points to power Ateneo past arch rival La Salle, 77-67, and keep the Eagles on top in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament yesterday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“I was already fired up to play in the last game, so I made sure to control myself this time,” said Buenafe, who was ejected in his last outing against Far Eastern University for figuring in an unsportsmanlike play in the first quarter.

Kiefer Ravena also shone with 18 points, seven rebounds and four assists, while Nico Salva buried seven of his 12 points in the final quarter of the blockbuster game that drew a 17,000-strong crowd.

“The focus of the game today was to reestablish the fact that we are a good defensive team,” said coach Norman Black after the Eagles hiked their record to 9-1, just a win away from formally securing a Final Four berth. “In addition to that, we got a big lift from our players. In the case of Ryan, he really stepped up offensively for us.”

Earlier, University of Santo Tomas overcame a scoring outburst from an Adamson rookie Jericho Cruz to forge an 83-79 victory that gave the Tigers solo second at 8-3.

Jeric Teng dropped 22 points, including four straight inside the final two minutes that pushed the Tigers for good at 80-77 after trailing at 70-76 as Cruz exploded for 33 points, 15 from beyond the arc.

Buenafe reached the 20-point mark for the first time this season since scoring 23 points in Game 2 of the 2010 title series where he bagged the Finals MVP.

“Other teams kept double-teaming Greg (Slaughter) using the man guarding the small forward,” said Black. “With Ryan out there, it makes it more difficult for them to do that because he’s an offensive threat.”

By halftime, Buenafe already shot 11 after just averaging only 4.6 points, including a horrendous 1-of-18 clip from three-point-range, in his first nine games.

Jeron Teng fired 22 markers to pace the Archers, who fell to a share of fourth with idle National University at 6-4.

An early shooting spree that saw the Eagles drilling three straight triples—two coming from Buenafe—propped the defending champions up by 16 points, 26-10, by the end of the first quarter.

The scores:

First Game

UST 83—Teng 22, Abdul 19, Mariano 16, Bautista 11, Ferrer 8, Fortuna 7, Vigil 0, Pe 0, Lo 0, Afuang 0.

ADAMSON 79—Cruz 33, Rios 12, Etrone 11, Trollano 7, Camson 5, Cabrera 5, Brondial 5, Agustin 1, Monteclaro 0, Abrigo 0.

Quarters: 16-16, 36-42, 61-58, 83-79

Second Game

ATENEO 77—Buenafe 24, Ravena 18, Salva 12, Tiongson 10, Slaughter 4, Chua 4, Sumalinog 3, Gonzaga 2, Golla 0, Elorde 0.

LA SALLE 67—Teng 22, Vosotros 20, Van Opstal 8, Tampus 8, N. Torres 4, Manguera 3, Mendoza 2, Andrada 0, Paredes 0, T. Torres 0, Tallo 0, Webb 0.

Quarters: 26-10, 35-29, 57-46, 77-67

Joescoundrel
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Down Green Archers by 10; Eagles advance to Final 4

By Jasmine W. Payo

9:51 pm | Sunday, September 9th, 2012

Ateneo finally claimed the first Final Four berth even as National University, starring Bobby Ray Parks, downed La Salle, 72-62, yesterday to wrest solo fourth in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena.

The Blue Eagles made sure there would be no repeat of their endgame blunders this time as they rolled back the Adamson Falcons, 79-72, with Nico Salva unloading half of his 24 points in the last eight minutes of the fourth quarter where Ateneo shot a staggering 82 percent from the field.

“I’m just happy we didn’t make the same mistakes we did in the last game,” Ateneo coach Norman Black said after his four-time champions rebounded from a shock loss to also-ran University of the East, 77-79, last Thursday and boost their leading record to 10-2.

Parks scattered 32-points, 17 of them in the third period, where the Bulldogs led by as many as 16 points, 53-37, en route to their seventh win in 11 games. It was the sixth 30-point outing in two seasons for the son of six-time top PBA import Bobby Parks.

NU coach Eric Altamirano said his Bulldogs were motivated by the UAAP board’s decision to nullify their controversial loss to Far Eastern University, 75-77, and order a replay on Sept. 23

“We used that good favor to inspire us for this game,” said Altamirano. “We’re excited we were given a second lease of life.”

Gelo Alolino added 11 points for the Bulldogs, who pushed the Archers down to fifth at 7-5.

Salva fired a six-point cluster to give the Eagles a 72-71 lead before Kiefer Ravena drilled five of the team’s last seven points for the final tally.

“Every loss is a wake up call and it reminds us that we’re not there yet,” said Salva, who tied his career-high by posting an impressive 11-of-14 shooting clip.

Greg Slaughter had 16 points and 12 boards, while Ravena shot 15 for the Eagles.

In juniors play, FEU’s Jerie Pingoy outscored the entire University of the East side as the Baby Tamaraws forged a lopsided 93-39 victory.

Pingoy, the reigning juniors MVP, exploded for 43 points, including a remarkable 12-of-19 shooting from three-point range to lead the unbeaten Baby Tams to their ninth straight win.

The scores:

First Game

ATENEO 79—Salva 24, Slaughter 16, Ravena 15, Elorde 10, Chua 6, Tiongson 3, Buenafe 3, Sumalinog 1, Erram 1, Gonzaga 0, Golla 0.

ADAMSON 72—Camson 26, Cruz 14, Cabrera 10, Monteclaro 8, Brondial 8, Rios 4, Etrone 2, Trollano 0, Petilos 0, Agustin 0.

Quarters: 21-25, 38-38, 55-59, 79-72

Second Game

NU 72—Parks 32, Alolino 11, Rosario 6, Khobuntin 6, De Guzman 6, Mbe 4, Javillonar 4, Villamor 3, Singh 0, Roño 0, Betayene 0.

LA SALLE 62—Teng 20, Vosotros 13, Van Opstal 7, N. Torres 6, Mendoza 4, T. Torres 3, Manguera 3, Andrada 2, Tampus 2, Revilla 2, Webb 0.

Quarters: 15-15, 36-26, 56-45, 72-62

bchoter
09-10-2012, 02:22 PM
We all know Hector is one of the most, if not THE most, loud Adamson follower. But in the UST-UP game, he was visibly rooting against UST (he definitely was not rooting for UP either :D). And then in the FEU-UE game he was seated with with the Tamaraw fans who were waving RR's banner and was aplauding every FEU basket. A few games back I saw him wearing an Ateneo shirt.

Lumalagare si Hector :D

Pizza Guy
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Wait til you hear Erika's comments regarding Hector. :P

Joescoundrel
10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
NU bags cage crown over no-show UE

By Joey Villar

(The Philippine Star)

Updated October 29, 2012 12:00 AM

BACOLOD , Philippines – National University took the men’s cage crown as University of the East made a no-show while Far Eastern U took the men’s football and women’s basketball crowns at the close of the 17th Sandugo University Games at the University of St. La Salle-Bacolod Gym here yesterday.

The Bulldogs, who escaped with a 67-66 decision over the Adamson Falcons in the semis, took the easy way out to pocket the gold medal after the Warriors decided to leave the night before to honor a previous commitment in Chinese Taipei.

It was NU’s second Unigames title in three years.

Dethroned champion Ateneo, which fell to UE, 65-68, in the semis, edged Adamson, 58-56, to clinch runner-up honors as organizers stripped the Warriors of any medal in the cage competition.

The Falcons, who protested their semis defeat to the Bulldogs, also threatened not to show up in the game but changed their minds upon pleas from local organizer Dodong Bascon. Adamson took third place.

Without UE, NU, which also won in Dumaguete in 2010, played this year’s UAAP runner-up UST in an exhibition game for just two quarters and barely won it, 54-52.

In football, FEU bucked a late, spirited charge by University of St. La Salle in injury time to escape with a pulsating 5-4 victory and cop the men’s gold at the Pana-ad Park and Stadium in this event bankrolled by Sandugo and backed by Smart.

Jesus Melliza, a mainstay of the Green Archers United Globe team in the First Division of the Manila-based United Football League, finished with a hat-trick, including two when the Morayta-based booters seized a 3-1 lead at halftime.

But Aldrin Dolino and Marson dela Torre countered with goals on the 61st and in the second minute in extra time, respectively, to tie the count at 3.

Eric Ben Gicanto then unloaded a rocket a minute later before Melliza struck in the second extra time to gain a two-goal cushion.

Jimmy Malaloan scored on a penalty kick as USLS closed in again but the Stingers ran out of time to turn it around or force a penalty shootout.

“We’re happy because we won this event though most of our players are just 14 years old,” said Jade Bejeminio in Filipino.

In women’s basketball, UAAP title-holder FEU made it a double celebration as it downed NU, 57-54, to bag the gold, its first since going all the way in the 2008 edition, also in Dumaguete.

The Lady Tams, who swept this UAAP season in 16 games, including a two-game finals sweep of La Salle, clinched the crown despite the absence of reigning UAAP Finals MVP Soc Borja and season MVP Allana Lim, who both graduated.

FEU actually dropped its first assignment to St. Benilde but swept past UP, Holy Cross of Davao City, NU and USLS in the group stage before nipping Lyceum, 52-50, in the semis.

“It’s all about heart,” said FEU coach Allan Albano. “Add to that the fact that this team is already like family.”

Sam Miguel
05-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Bulldogs nose out Falcons; Knights up

By Jasmine W. Payo

12:15 am | Tuesday, May 7th, 2013

RAY Parks knocked in the game-winning jumper with 3.2 seconds left to lift the National U Bulldogs past the gritty Adamson Falcons, 70-68, in overtime in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup yesterday at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Hardly losing his focus over a month after his father’s death, Parks scored six of his team’s eight points in the extra period to finish with a game-high 28 points and lead the unbeaten Bulldogs to a sixth straight victory.

“He took it upon himself to carry us through,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We were struggling offensively, but Ray just found a way to win.”

In the second game, Letran dropped a 17-0 bomb in the second half to down Emilio Aguinaldo College, 78-71, and improve to 3-1.

Raymond Almazan shot 16 points and added 12 boards, while Mark Cruz and Ford Ruaya fired 13 each to power the Knights.

Parks, who wore jersey No. 22 in memory of his father and seven-time PBA Best Import Bobby Parks, also had six rebounds, three assists and a couple of steals, but said he’s still far from his best shape.

“I feel I’m not yet there after all that happened,” said Parks, the two-time UAAP MVP. “But my teammates were encouraging me to take the last-second shot. They trusted me.”

The Falcons battled back from double-digit deficits with Cameroonian Alfred Aroga posting 20 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks.

Lloyd Abrigo’s two free throws with 19.4 seconds left in the fourth period forged overtime, 62-62.

The Falcons fell to 1-2, while the Generals remained winless in three outings.

The scores:

First Game

NU 70—Parks 28, Aroga 20, Villamor 6, Labing-isa 6, Alejandro 4, Rosario 3, De Guzman 2, Roño 1, Javillonar 0, Neypes 0, Khobuntin 0.

ADAMSON 68—Cruz 16, Abrigo 12, Brondial 9, Sewa 8, Bernabe 8, Rios 6, Iñigo 3, Ochea 3, Cabigas 3, Monteclaro 0, Petilos 0, Trollano 0.
Quarters: 21-14, 33-27, 47-45, 62-62 (reg), 70-68 (OT)

Second Game

LETRAN 78—Almazan 16, Cruz 13, Ruaya 13, Nambatac 9, Pantin 6, Belorio 6, Publico 5, Dysam 5, Luib 2, Gabawan 2, Catipay 1, Castro 0, Buenaflor 0, Requero 0, Tambeling 0, Oluto 0.

EAC 71—Manga 18, Jamon 15, Munsayac 10, Tayontong 9, King 9, Arquero 5, Paguia 2, Castro 2, Mejos 1, Mallari 0, Monteclaro 0.
Quarters: 21-23, 38-40, 56-52, 78-71

Sam Miguel
05-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Cruz leads Filoil awardees

(The Philippine Star) | Updated May 29, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Adamson’s Jericho Cruz copped the Master Best Player of the Week honors in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup. Cruz, the Filipino from the Northern Mariana Island of Saipan, led the Falcons to a 80-63 win over the College of Saint Benilde where he compiled 24 points, four rebounds, one assist, and one block.

Cruz is joined in the Gatorade Best Five of the Week for the same period by La Salle power forward Jason Perkins, National University’s Cameroonian center Alfred Aroga, the University of the East’s Ralf Olivarez, and San Beda College’s Arthur Dela Cruz

bchoter
06-03-2013, 05:12 PM
The Adamson guards have, so far, neutralized Roi Sumang

bchoter
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
...and then Sumang delivers a croos court pass to Sumidobfor a 3 and a touch entry pass...

Sam Miguel
06-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Warriors, Tigers gain Final 4, forge KO duel

By Jasmine W. Payo

11:32 pm | Monday, June 3rd, 2013

Sustaining its surprise run, University of the East rolled past Adamson, 66-58, yesterday to clinch a Final Four berth in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Roi Sumang pumped in 18 points, including six in a 14-4 windup, to lead UE to the next round where the Warriors will face the University of Santo Tomas Tigers.

The Tigers nailed the first semifinal berth after toppling higher-seeded Arellano, 83-73, in the other knockout quarterfinal match.

“We have everything to gain,” UE coach Boycie Zamar said of his Warriors, who finished near bottom in last season’s UAAP yet clinched the No. 1 spot in Group B with a 6-2 record.

“We don’t have the advantage here, because remember, we were seventh in the UAAP. So this win is a good motivation for us.”

Chris Javier added 11 points for the Warriors, who had a fiery 13-0 start before fending off the Falcons’ persistent rallies.

Jeric Teng unloaded 23 points and Karim Abdul had a double-double of 18 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Tigers, who finished third in Group B with a 5-3 record.

“The players refused to lose,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio. “It was a matter of pride. The experience of the players also showed.”

UST guard Ed Daquioag also stepped up in the absence of injured starting guard Clark Bautista by posting a double-double of 11 points and 10 boards.

Ranked second at 6-2 in Group A, the Chiefs struggled minus top gunner James Forrester, who sat it out due to a knee injury.

Zamar said he is impressed with the endurance of his Warriors, who also competed in a recent provincial tournament.

“We’re very tired,” said Zamar. “But we don’t want to use that as an excuse. I told them we still have to play as a team. And considering that Adamson has been together for several years already, it’s an achievement for us that we were there fighting.”

The Falcons, led by Rodney Brondial, opened the final period with an 11-0 blast for a 54-52 lead. But the Warriors responded with an 8-0 tear anchored on Sumang to regain the advantage, 60-54, then held the Falcons to just a couple of baskets in the last five minutes.

The scores:

First Game

UST 83—Teng 23, Abdul 18, Ferrer 14, Daquioag 11, Pe 6, Mariano 5, Lo 3, So 2, Hainga 1, Marata 0, Tan 0, Lao 0, Macasaet 0.

ARELLANO 73—Pinto 13, Bangga 10, Hernandez 8, Nicholls 8, Jalalom 7, Salcedo 5, Enriquez 4, Margallo 3, Gumaru 3, Caperal 2, Cadavis 2.

Quarters: 26-17, 40-37, 62-53, 83-73

Second Game

UE 66—Sumang 18, Javier 11, Sumido 9, Noble 6, Mammie 6, Flores 5, Olivarez 4, Jumao-as 4, Santos 3, Casajeros 0, Bonleon 0, Guion 0, Olayon 0.

ADAMSON 58—Brondial 19, Sewa 12, Cabrera 9, Cruz 6, Petilos 6, Iñigo 3, Rios 2, Agustin 1, Monteclaro 0, Bernabe 0, Abrigo 0, Mendoza 0, Ochea 0.

Quarters: 22-12, 32-32, 52-43, 66-58

Sam Miguel
02-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Marlou Aquino's son Matthew follows in his footsteps, joins Adamson Falcons

January 30, 2014, 05:30 pm

LOOKING to follow the flight path of father and former King Falcon Marlou Aquino, young Matthew Aquino is set to suit up for Adamson in the UAAP.

According to a source close to the team who asked not to be named, the young Aquino is set to join the Falcons roster to be with his father, now an assistant coach in the team now handled by former college teammate Kenneth Duremdes.

“He is definitely joining Adamson,” said the source about Marlou’s son, aged 17 and listed at 6-foot-7.

Adamson team manager Gilbert Cruz could not be reached for comment as of posting time.

Matthew will be following in the footsteps of his father Marlou, who played for the Falcons in the early 1990s before joining Barangay Ginebra where he won PBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1996.

Matthew played high school basketball at Lourdes School of Mandaluyong, a program that has been a rich source of prospects for UAAP scouts, although the source said it was Marlou who has trained his son since he was young.

“Of course, his dad is training him. He is his prized possession,” said the source

The source said Aquino could immediately make the Season 77 lineup for Adamson following the departure of former frontline starter Rodney Brondial as well as foreign student Ingrid Sewa.

“We don’t have a choice because he is the biggest man in their lineup at 6-7. Our future lies in him (Aquino),” said the source.

Brondial has finished his playing career with Adamson while Sewa will not suit up for the Falcons this year due to what team officials cited as violation of team rules.

The Cameroonian big man, however, denied the allegations saying that he was already set to leave the school after former head coach Leo Austria was replaced.