PDA

View Full Version : DLSU GREEN ARCHERS S73

keeper24
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
With the UAAP season quickly approaching lets make a recap of the players still part of the team.

Bagatsing has completed his playing years and Co and Malabes have left as well.

Barua and Mangahas are still eligible but the question if they will play for the Green Archers still is up in the air.

With still no official declaration on the incoming rookies Just Papot Paredes and Martin reyes look as main candidates

to crack team A. Of the the 2 Papot looks more of the sure thing.

BLUE HORSE
03-23-2010, 06:34 AM
The DLSU is leaving for Chicago at the end of April or first of May to train at Attack Athletics. My understanding is that the traveling party will have 20 players. Last yearo 22 players made the trip including Torres, Revilla,Reyes and Marko who ended up in team B. I believe there was one other player who was for delivery this year. Here is my personal take on who will make the trip to Chicago:

11 holdovers from team A
4 players from team B in Reyes, Paredes, Torres and Revilla
the Zobel boys
Diliman and Blue boy(s)
former and current blue chippers from NCAA schools

Everybody knows that Torres can not play until next season and Revilla has not received clearance from his doctors. The other players going to Chicago will definitely end up in team B.

maroonmartian
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Diliman and Blue boy(s)

Everybody knows that Torres can not play until next season and Revilla has not received clearance from his doctors. The other players going to Chicago will definitely end up in team B.

Is the Diliman boy a brother of another DLSU player (who used to be a Diliman boy)? Hmmm.. As expected.

@ Torres
Not next year? I thought he had served his residency?

keeper24
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
How I understand now is that LA is a long shot to go as of today he still hasnt been cleared to practise.

So basically well get a clearer picture when they leave but as well when the FIl-Oil lineup is released.

ballzebub
03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

h0ld.0n
03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
From what i've heard, the UP player is kevin villanueva(obviously) the ateneo player is ael banal(most probably) and the NCAA players are vigil and tampus... (this is from a very reliable source)....

keeper24
03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Could you please provide some info on kevin villanueva? for Banal then im alittle surprised but this wouldbe a welcome move if it does push thru.... as I remember Black mentioning his name as a possible Team A member.

For Tampus and Vigil its already an open secret that they are already practising with the team and also i heard that they did pass the DLSUET paving the way for them to join the team.

Just wondering about Van Opstal and Sara....

Anyone know any info on them?

kuzma1313
03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
That would be great, great recruit. Can i know the height and playing position of ( k. villanueva, banal, tampus and vigil ).
Hopin AVO and Sara is also goin for the training (US )...

maroonmartian
03-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Kevin Villanueva

-Brother of Maui Villanueva.
-Stands about 6'1-6'2.
-Part of the UAAP Mythical 5 last year.
-Leading Rebounder for Season 72 (or just second to Neypes
-Plays Center for UPIS (the team plays small ball not because they are forced due to recruitment problems).
-Probably will have to play 3/4 in college because he is undersized.

Ael Banal

-is really going there? Di ba slotted na siya sa kabilang side?
-6'0-6'1 Small Forward
-Three point shooter ;D

keeper24
03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Im also very sceptical about Banal going to DLSU as his position would be clogged (Marata,Gab Banal,Tampus,Vigil,)
Possibly even some other recruits. So im taking this more as a hoax. But we never know.

For the youger Villanueva then i guess hell have to develop into a SG/SF defensive type of player.

DLSU obviously is trying to beef up for the long run as well. If their team will be a young one this year but manage to gell propelry then with Torres next year they will be a match to be reckoned with.

Coach Dindo is obviously putting a very fast and athletic team from the looks of it.

KingRedLion
03-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Dan Sara is pretty much going "green".

The only question now is whether or not he'll be included in Team A or Team B. Or if he'll stay first with the RP Youth U18 team instead.

Ael Banal?? If that materializes, that's a steal indeed.

maroonmartian
03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Coach Dindo is obviously putting a very fast and athletic team from the looks of it.

Looks like he is implementing what he did in UE ;D Let's just see if that would work. They haven't resolve their PG issue yet.

As for Ael Banal going to Taft, let's just wait for the Fil Oil Flying V to confirm this.

h0ld.0n
03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Arnold van opstal will most probably go to dlsu(i heard his apartment where he and his mom stay is paid by dlsu). He is 6'7", i always see him in dlsz.

leon.guinto
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
How about Dan Sara? I thought he was recruited and rumored to suit up for the Archers? ;-)

The_Big_Cat
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Kung sa bagay uso naman ang magkakapatid sa isang koponan; Alas brothers of Letran and the Semrad twins of San Beda.
It won't be a surprise if Kevin and Ael would like to play with their older brothers.

keeper24
03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
CAn someone give a small background on Sara please? did he graduate HS this year?

Well if Vosotros and Elorde do go with FLSU then the PG issue with Tolentino should be resolved.

For AVO this is the only zobel kid I havent heard of about practising in DLSU..... MIght be just concentrating himself on school matters first.

Like KRL said lets just wait for teh Fil-il lineups very soon.

Mr. D
03-24-2010, 08:32 PM
In the recent years brother tandems havent worked well with DLSU. Take the case of the Cabatu brothers. Christian started out playing on the UAAP team but later transfered to Benilde. It was Jun jun who lasted. Very similar situation with the Mangahas bros. If I am not mistaken the last successful brother tandems they had was Dwight & Elmer Lago.

keeper24
03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I dont even think Dwight and elmer were ever on the same team.

shyboy
03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
^ I think nag-abot si Dwight and Elmer for at least a year. If I remember it right, 1991 was Elmer's rookie year.

keeper24
03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok thanks for the Info on the Lago brothers.....

Well going back to the topic, I also think that DLSU with its potential recruits will form a very deadly group especially when they will grow together. Considering the possble fact that no veterans will be on the team

h0ld.0n
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
It would take 2-3 years for the team to be part of the finals from their lack of experience but they will be a strong final four contender. I'm looking forward to the upcoming UAAP season with NU and UP as stronger opponents.

keeper24
03-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I dont think it will take them that long to gel together and even with Norbert entering the team next year it will be a smooth one as he already knows his RP teammates and practising with DLSU for the past 2 years.

So im quite confident they can pull off some welcome surprises.

shyboy
03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
^ I agree. Also, several coaches have performed very well during their first stints as headmaster. Case in point, Franz Pumaren for DLSU in 1998, Joel Banal for ADMU in 2002, Pido Jarencio for UST in 2006, and more recently, Ato Agustin for San Sebastian last year. So di naman masama mangarap tayo in Dindo's first try with the Archers. ;D

ballzebub
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Well if Vosotros and Elorde do go with FLSU then the PG issue with Tolentino should be resolved.

sorry but what and where is FLSU?

The_Big_Cat
03-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Florida State University. ;D

coreytaylor
03-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Far Long South University ;D

kuzma1313
03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Is Vosotros already practicing with the team, and do hope Elorde also.

keeper24
03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Is Vosotros already practicing with the team, and do hope Elorde also.

To my understanding both of them have been practising regularly with the team. So i take this as a good sign.

h0ld.0n
03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
I heard that elorde might join the ateneo team but then it is not yet official.

keeper24
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
I heard that elorde might join the ateneo team but then it is not yet official.

Elorde has already commited to DLSU. His chances of him making the UAAP this year or next are higher with DLSU than at Ateneo.

kuzma1313
03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
DLSU is much better than ADMU, for sure...

keeper24
03-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Hate to say this but I have to admit that ADMU's lineup is more solid at them moment. But I do say that DLSU's team if all goes planned will be more competitive.

aaronricafort
03-26-2010, 12:57 AM

Hate to say this but I have to admit that ADMU's lineup is more solid at them moment. But I do say that DLSU's team if all goes planned will be more competitive.

the only advantage ADMU has is their cohesiveness and experience. those guys have been playing with each other for the past 3-4 years so they're familiar with the system and each other. but talent, I think DLSU has the edge. it's just a matter of making all those individual talents work together in a system, which IMO didn't turn out well last season.

keeper24
03-26-2010, 02:42 AM

the only advantage ADMU has is their cohesiveness and experience. those guys have been playing with each other for the past 3-4 years so they're familiar with the system and each other. but talent, I think DLSU has the edge. it's just a matter of making all those individual talents work together in a system, which IMO didn't turn out well last season.

This is what I meant advantage wise for ADMU. The familiarity of the team with Blacks system gives them that edge BUT I do agree that if all goes as to planned recruitment wise then DLSU talent wise will be ready to challenge!

coreytaylor
03-26-2010, 08:01 AM

And the rest of the UAAP teams are much more better than Ateneo! ;)

Ateneo is going to have a 0-14 record next season. ;D

shyboy
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Baka magdilang-anghel ka. ;D

coreytaylor
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Baka magdilang-anghel ka. ;D

Ako pa! Believe me, it will all come true..you'll see. ;D

bogusbrando
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Guys, I read in the online that Arvie Bringas hasn't been practicing with the team for 3 months now and might be cut from the squad. Any truth?

izon
03-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Guys, I read in the online that Arvie Bringas hasn't been practicing with the team for 3 months now and might be cut from the squad. Any truth?

Please read article in inboundpass forum.

keeper24
03-31-2010, 05:35 PM

Guys Relax..... Arvie is stillin DLSU and concentrating on his finals .... Hes had problems this term but hopefully it will be ok

keeper24
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Filoil Flying V Preseason Invitational Tournament 2010
Lineup
01. ANDRADA, Yutien
02. ATKINGS, Simon
03. BANAL, Gabriel
04. DELA PAZ, Luigi
05. ELORDE, Nico
06. FERDINAND
07. HERRERA, Aiki
08. MANGUERA, Jed
09. MARATA, Joseph
10. PAREDES, Philip
11. REYES, Martin
12. TAMPUS, Jarelan
13. TOLENTINO, Joel
14. VILLANUEVA, Maui
15. VOSOTROS, Almond
16. WEBB, Joseph

Team composition may be changed till the school's 3rd game of the tournament. There are several names in the reserve list.

Remember 20-22 players are going to Chicago for the camp! So expect alot
of changes still!

paul0220
03-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Lineup
01. ANDRADA, Yutien
02. ATKINGS, Simon
03. BANAL, Gabriel
04. DELA PAZ, Luigi
05. ELORDE, Nico
06. FERDINAND
07. HERRERA, Aiki
08. MANGUERA, Jed
09. MARATA, Joseph
10. PAREDES, Philip
11. REYES, Martin
12. TAMPUS, Jarelan
13. TOLENTINO, Joel
14. VILLANUEVA, Maui
15. VOSOTROS, Almond
16. WEBB, Joseph

Team composition may be changed till the school's 3rd game of the tournament. There are several names in the reserve list.

of changes still!
Is Martin Reyes the same Martin Reyes that played for UP last season? What happened to Bringas? Is it true that he is not in the lineup coz of academic problems (failing all his subjects)?

izon
03-31-2010, 08:47 PM

Guys Relax..... Arvie is stillin DLSU and concentrating on his finals .... Hes had problems this term but hopefully it will be ok

Hope so too.

shyboy
03-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Is Martin Reyes the same Martin Reyes that played for UP last season?

Nope, this Martin Reyes came from LSGH '09. He was in Team B last year.

cobra bubbles
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
so aside from the 16 mentioned above, who else could make the chicago trip? AVO, Mendoza, Torres, Bringas, Vigil? Banal?....

thel3ast
04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I thought Vigil was already with DLSU?

glock23
04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I thought Vigil was already with DLSU?

How do you know he's not?

kuzma1313
04-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Hope kasali sa line -up for the coming fil-oil sina AVO, torres, Bringas. Ano position ni Vigil?

keeper24
04-02-2010, 12:19 AM
so aside from the 16 mentioned above, who else could make the chicago trip? AVO, Mendoza, Torres, Bringas, Vigil? Banal?....

AVO,Torres,Mendoza,Vigil and Bringas depending on his Finals results

shyboy
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Torres is definitely out of the Fil-Oil tournament as I understand only those eligible for the collegiate season are allowed to play.

kuzma1313
04-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Ok, got the point. But after next season, TORRES is a shoo-in for the team? Is that 2011

El Guapito
04-03-2010, 07:34 AM
AVO is already in Australia. It is not certain if we can convince him to come back. It will be a devastating setback if we lose a player of his caliber.

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Lineup
01. ANDRADA, Yutien
02. ATKINGS, Simon
03. BANAL, Gabriel
04. DELA PAZ, Luigi
05. ELORDE, Nico
06. FERDINAND
07. HERRERA, Aiki
08. MANGUERA, Jed
09. MARATA, Joseph
10. PAREDES, Philip
11. REYES, Martin
12. TAMPUS, Jarelan
13. TOLENTINO, Joel
14. VILLANUEVA, Maui
15. VOSOTROS, Almond
16. WEBB, Joseph

of changes still!

Sobra sobra ang shooting guards niyo.

Manguera, Tampus, Banal and Dela Paz. You can also add Vosotros who played SG during his time with the Staglets. Marata on a few ocassions last season can be interchangeable at SG and SF spots.

shyboy
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
^ Buti na yung maraming shooters. Last year, walang-wala eh.

glock23
04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
AVO is already in Australia. It is not certain if we can convince him to come back. It will be a devastating setback if we lose a player of his caliber.

He'll be back on the 7th of April.

izon
04-04-2010, 06:24 AM

He'll be back on the 7th of April.

Thanks for the info.

El Guapito
04-04-2010, 01:39 PM
That's nice to hear. We hope he can join the Fil-Oil tourney.

urzafailure
04-06-2010, 10:12 AM
AVO restored to the line-up. Manguerra out.

NAME - HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATED FROM - INCOMING PLAYING YEAR
01. ANDRADA, Yutien - San Sebastian College - 2
02. ATKINS, Simon - DE LA SALLE ZOBEL - 4
03. BANAL, Gabriel - Xavier - 2
04. DELA PAZ, Luigi - DE LA SALLE ZOBEL - 1
05. ELORDE, Nico - DE LA SALLE ZOBEL - 1
06. FERDINAND - LA SALLE GREEN HILLS - 4
07. HERRERA, Aiki - DE LA SALLE ZOBEL - 1
08. VAN OPSTAL, Arnold - DE LA SALLE ZOBEL - 1
09. MARATA, Joseph - Reedley - 2
10. PAREDES, Philip - Cagayan de Oro - 1
11. REYES, Martin - LA SALLE GREEN HILLS - 1
12. TAMPUS, Jarelan - Colegio de San Juan de Letran - 1
13. TOLENTINO, Joel - Reedley - 2
14. VILLANUEVA, Maui - Japan - 3
15. VOSOTROS, Almond - San Sebastian College - 1
16. WEBB, Joseph - DE LA SALLE ZOBEL - 3

Source: AP.com

El Guapito
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
There is word that Arnold may not be able to join the team for Season 73. Let's hope everything gets ironed out as soon as possible. We badly need his interior presence to anchor the defense. Losing a player of Arnold's caliber would be a devastating setback to what could arguably be the best recruiting class we've had in years.

nardy
04-09-2010, 04:46 AM
watch out for Kurt Patrick Yu from the Tay Tung High School Blue Dragons of Bacolod. He is now attending the practices of the Green Archers. He might not be able to break into Team A this year but he has shown a lot of potential as he plays like Coach Dindo in his early years.

kuzma1313
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Height and position of Kurt Yu please. Thanks!

El Guapito
04-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Height and position of Kurt Yu please. Thanks!

Probably point guard yang si Kurt Yu, around 5'9". I wonder if he's related to UP's Harlan Yu and DLSU Team B's Lisandro Yu circa 90's.

kuzma1313
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Hope another power forward, or a hulking center that can dominate inside. Or a playmaker, same as mike cortez before..

lola lolita
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
i'm curious,i've been hearing a lot of talks regarding arnold van opstal,what is his staus now?will he be able to play this season for dlsu?naayos ba his problem?been hearing from other forums that he didn't graduate and he will just get his PEP test.how about his absences--how will they resolve it?sana pilitin nila makalaro para masuspend ulit ang la salle--ang sama ko!! ;D

nel
04-27-2010, 05:04 PM
i'm curious,i've been hearing a lot of talks regarding arnold van opstal,what is his staus now?will he be able to play this season for dlsu?naayos ba his problem?been hearing from other forums that he didn't graduate and he will just get his PEP test.how about his absences--how will they resolve it?sana pilitin nila makalaro para masuspend ulit ang la salle--ang sama ko!! ;D

Do some back reading in this and the other threads first before you end up with both feet in your mouth. You already have one in it.

lola lolita
04-28-2010, 12:00 AM
nel,whats your problem,sarcastic lang ako.papano masyadong hyped na si avo!!how good is he?how well do you know him?will he really be la salle only hope?wala na bang iba at sya nalang?

GHRanger
04-28-2010, 09:30 AM
nel,whats your problem,sarcastic lang ako.papano masyadong hyped na si avo!!how good is he?how well do you know him?will he really be la salle only hope?wala na bang iba at sya nalang?

Lola Lolita. I think your last post (sarcastic or not) was done in bad taste. That's why nel gave you that remark.

I agree that AVO is being overhyped. But it's not the green side doing the hype - it's those who want the scoop or the haters. Sure, it would be perfect for him to join the green and white, but there are things that he has to sort out first. Until that time, we would prefer not to make any remarks - ayaw namin pangunahan siya and any official announcements. Doing so may put him (or any player for that matter) in a bad light. For now, we are patiently waiting that things get sorted out.

nel
04-28-2010, 09:39 AM

If you haven't noticed (and obviously you haven't), most of us aren't talking about him because he hasn't enrolled yet and isn't on the team that's playing in the Filoil tournament. As GHRanger said, we're not doing any hyping - we're not even talking about him. And that lame PEP issue has already been discussed in another thread.

lola lolita
04-28-2010, 09:56 AM
my bad,sorry.i've said enough,you're right,lets just wait and see-- :-X

maroonmartian
04-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Hope another power forward, or a hulking center that can dominate inside. Or a playmaker, same as mike cortez before..

Guards? Kailangan pa ba nila yun? Sabi nga ni Coach Dindo Pumaren, parang security agency na La Salle, madami na guwardiya. ;D Yes, I think DLSU still needs one big men probably one who could fill the role of Arvie. Pwede si Van Opstal.

GHRanger
04-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Guards? Kailangan pa ba nila yun? Sabi nga ni Coach Dindo Pumaren, parang security agency na La Salle, madami na guwardiya. ;D Yes, I think DLSU still needs one big men probably one who could fill the role of Arvie. Pwede si Van Opstal.

To put things in perspective -- this is the current roster:
Yutien - 6'5"
Ferdi - 6'5"
Maui - 6'3"
Papot - 6'4"
Jovet - 6'4" or 5"

IMHO kung height din lang, we'd really need a swingman of decent height and talent who can make his own shots as well as a defensive specialists in the line of Cali Orfrecio, Mon Jose, Mac Cardona (Gab Banal is slowly going into this mold.) This is to counter teams favoring tall guards and swingmen (UST, FEU)

El Guapito
04-29-2010, 03:15 AM
my bad,sorry.i've said enough,you're right,lets just wait and see-- :-X

You don't need to apologize for anything. There is nothing wrong with asking. But I will stop right there. He needs to sort things out and hopefully, and with his utmost diligence and cooperation, things will all fall into place.

Sam Miguel
04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Nel, how is Louie Vigil coming along? Joe and I saw him at our game last Saturday but he wasn't in uniform.

maroonmartian
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
To put things in perspective -- this is the current roster:
Yutien - 6'5"
Ferdi - 6'5"
Maui - 6'3"
Papot - 6'4"
Jovet - 6'4" or 5"

Ang tangkad nga ;D Yes, a defensive swingmen I think in the mold of Arana, Cholo Villanueva etc. is what DLSU need. And probably two team leaders ala JV Casio and Maierhoffer, Yeo and Cardona etc. to make the team a legitimate title contender. The lack of leadership I think is one good reason why DLSU had been in a bad state last year and even in the preseason. My candidates?

Joshua Webb and Simon Atkins.

nel
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
@Sam, sorry, no feedback yet, but I haven't been asking around yet. It's still early in the pre-season, so I'm waiting to see what develops.

Joescoundrel
04-30-2010, 08:13 AM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Joescoundrel/IMG_3354.jpg

Image by Tony Nepomuceno

urzafailure
04-30-2010, 08:56 AM
@Sam, sorry, no feedback yet, but I haven't been asking around yet. It's still early in the pre-season, so I'm waiting to see what develops.

They were saying on Archer Pride that his report card from JRU comes out in May and they're waiting on that. Same with AVO.

LION
04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

They were saying on Archer Pride that his report card from JRU comes out in May and they're waiting on that. Same with AVO.

Report card to be released in May? Di ba dapat before end of March or early part of April ang release ng report cards?

GHRanger
04-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Report card to be released in May? Di ba dapat before end of March or early part of April ang release ng report cards?

On the same post at AP.com, both players are taking summer classes.

razor
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
^ when's the start of classes for SY2010-11 in la salle?

GHRanger
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Usually on the last week of may or 1st week of june.

nardy
05-01-2010, 01:36 AM
UNDERGRADUATE CALENDAR Academic Year 2010-2011

http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/offices/registrar/calendar/ug_calendar1011.pdf

r2z
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
sirs, is arvie out of lasalle already? parang di yata siya nasasama sa mga line-ups niyo.

maroonmartian
05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
sirs, is arvie out of lasalle already? parang di yata siya nasasama sa mga line-ups niyo.

Dude try to backread. It is official, Arvie is now out of DLSU because of academic problems. Such a waste for such a great player :-[

r2z
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
kala ko kasi tsismis lang

izon
05-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Wonder where Arvie will end up now that he is no longer an Archer.

coreytaylor
05-15-2010, 05:24 PM
^^^^

to Big Brother's House? ;D

emenk
05-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Meron na ba news about AVO and Vigil? Were they able accomplish all the requirements so they be officially cleared to play this year? ::)

kuzma1313
06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
any news about AVO and VIGIL?

RAINMAN
06-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I will keep the faith and hope and pray that AVO and Vigil will be part of the team.

Please remember them when you hear mass this Sunday.

Sam Miguel
07-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Mods, dunno where else to post this.

From the UAAP Board - - -

UAAP FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

Adopted by the UAAP Board July 2010

Rationale:
Historically, sport was determined to be the more positive way of settling disputes
between warring nation states. Why? Because rules were instigated to effect a measure
of control on the athletes and the conduct of the activity. Next, the officials saw to it that
the rules were applied to all and last, the fans could cheer for their “heroes” who brought
them honor and glory. This illustrates the connection between these three participants
involved in a sport event which has thus remained to the present.
As the official organizing body of the UAAP, the Board of Directors observed the
escalating problem of violence during UAAP games, in particular, those involving
players and fans. With the overall objective of creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable
experience for all supporters/participants of UAAP games/events, the UAAP Board of
Directors prepared this Fan Code of Conduct as a guide to expected behaviors. These are
the following:
1. Athletes, coaches and sport officials will respect and appreciate each and every fan.
2. Fans will be treated in a consistent, professional and courteous manner by all UAAP/
sport facility personnel.
3. Fans will sit only in their ticketed seats and show their tickets when requested.
4. Fans will enjoy the UAAP sport event free from disruptive behavior, including foul or
abusive language or obscene gestures (i.e. fighting, taunting, or engaging in any action
that may harm, endanger, threaten, or bring discomfort to anyone in the stadium). Any
fan engaging in such will be warned by the UAAP/sport facility personnel. A repetition
of said behavior will subject the fan to ejection from the facility.
5. Fans carrying signs or wearing clothing with obscene, deregatory or indecent messages
will be requested to discard said sign/wear the shirt inside out.
6. Fans observed to be under the influence of a prohibitive substance (i.e. alcoholic
beverage, dangerous drug, etc) may need intervention and must be handled in a prompt
and safe manner by the UAAP/sport facility security/personnel.
7. Fans will not engage in fighting or throwing objects. Those who engage in any of these
actions will immediately be ejected from the game/venue.
8. Fans will smoke in designated smoking areas only.
9. Fans will comply with requests from sport facility personnel regarding facility
operations and emergency response procedures.
10. Fans in possession of any item considered dangerous by the UAAP/sport facility
personnel will be requested to turn over said item which may be retrieved after the event.
Fans may report any inappropriate behavior to the sport facility personnel at 5264553 and
please indicate contact number of UAAP host school .

GHRanger
07-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks Sam.
Alternatively, this has also been posted at GA.ph.

Sam Miguel
07-09-2010, 10:06 AM
^^^ It should be interesting to see how this will actually be implemented especially during critical KO-type games. Good luck to Host De La Salle with this one.

shyboy
07-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Chalk up win #1 for the Archers this season.

Animo La Salle!

Outlander
07-10-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/195732/atkins-la-salle-rout-up-in-uaap-opener

Scores:

La Salle 80 – Atkins 20, Villanueva 13, Marata 10, Webb 9, Andrada 7, de la Paz 6, Vosotros 4, Mendoza 4, Ferdinand 4, Tolentino 3, Reyes 0, Paredes 0.

UP 62 – Silungan 17, Co 17, Sison 8, Reyes Ma. 6, Manuel 5, Saret 2, Padilla 2, Maniego 2, Lopez 2, Reyes Mi. 1, Juruena 0.

Quarter scores: 19-13; 34-31; 56-47; 80-62.

thadeus
07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
have to hand it to Atkins in this game. He was really on fire.

Apocrypha
07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Congratulations on a well-deserved win. DLSU played a disciplined and inspired game. This is a great start for the hosts.

maroonmartian
07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Congratulations on a well-deserved win. DLSU played a disciplined and inspired game. This is a great start for the hosts.

Congrats to the host for a splendid opening ceremony and for a deserved win. Shoot out at sa gameface pa lang kitang kita na. Good luck on your match vs NU. That would be a grudge match. :)

Sam Miguel
07-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Lasalle went to its strengths in this game and UP was simply outwitted here. Going to speed and hustle to offset the size and strength of the Maroons, the Archers went to their patented tough on-ball defense to generate early offense and transition opportunities to blow the game wide open in the second half. UP was caught literally rocking on its heels and the Maroons never recovered.

Sam Miguel
07-16-2010, 09:17 AM
From Jasmine Payo, Inquirer Sports - - -

Eagles Survive; Archers Fumble

Ateneo de Manila University went through some anxious moments for the second straight game but this time, the Blue Eagles hang tough to score their first win in the 73rd UAAP men’s basketball competition Thursday at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig City.

Emman Monfort shone in the homestretch to tow Ateneo to its first victory, a nail-biting 69-66 decision over the hard-fighting Adamson University Falcons.

Monfort canned six free throws in the dwindling seconds, the last two with 6.7 ticks left to keep the Eagles on top after the Falcons had trimmed the lead to just a point, 67-66, with an Alex Nuyles jumper.

“I think Adamson is one of the most difficult teams [to beat] in the league,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black. “We always have a hard time against them. They match up well with us, mainly because of their [big men].”

National University, though, spoiled De La Salle University’s bid to grab the solo lead with a 59-55 upset in the second game.

All four teams wound up with similar 1-1 records.

Emmanuel Mbe, a 6-foot-5 rookie from Cameroon, got the Bulldogs off to a strong start, burying 10 in the first quarter on the way to 21 points on top of 19 rebounds and one blocked shot.

“I just did my job and I’m proud of it,” said Mbe, one of three Africans seeing action in the league this season.

Jewel Ponferrada also stepped up in the final quarter, scoring all of his eight points in the last seven minutes to help the Bulldogs fend off a late La Salle rally.

“We tried to execute well as a team,” said new Bulldogs coach Eric Gonzales. “Our goal is still to be the No. 1 defensive team in the league.”

Kirk Long shot a team-high 12 points, while Nico Salva had 10 points, 11 rebounds and three assists as the back-to-back champion Eagles recovered from their opening-day 72-69 loss to the Far Eastern University Tamaraws last Sunday.

Eric Camson had a chance to win the game for the Falcons, but missed a three-point attempt at the buzzer.

“We went into this season knowing that the first two games we’re going to play are probably against two of the top teams,” said Black. “I have a lot of respect for Adamson. They’re 10-players deep and they’re well coached.”

The Eagles stretched their head-to-head winning streak against the Falcons to 26 games dating back to the 1997 season.

A 5-0 spurt erased the Falcons’ six-point advantage, 63-67, to just a point at 63-62.

Two consecutive turnovers doomed the Falcons as Monfort nailed six free throws to push the Eagles ahead going into the last minute.

kumabear25
07-16-2010, 10:33 AM
mga sir matanong ko lang po kung bakit hindi naglalaro si jarelan tampus ngaun? sayang pwde pa naman sya maging shooting guard pamalit kay atkins... ano po kaya nangyare?

LION
07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Jarelan Tampus played yesterday although he failed to contribute offensively for the Green Archers.

Joescoundrel
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Jarelan Tampus is realizing that he will not get away at the senior level of the UAAP with a lot of the things he got away with in the junior level of the NCAA. Everyone else at his position is just as big or bigger and more talented than he is. He needs to adjust his game from being a high school 3/2 to a college 2/1.

oca
07-17-2010, 04:29 AM
It will take time before Tampus becomes a major contributor for the Archers.

May pagkakomplicado ang depensa ng DLSU. Di lang tao ang binabantayan, pati passing lanes, yung dadaan ng cutters at saan manggagaling ang picks and screens ay pinag-aaralan. Eh mula't sapul petik na yan sa depensa. Simpleng tao-tao, di niya pa masundan yung nakatoka sa kanya. Eto ngayon at depensa pa ang DLSU aaralin niya!

Obserbahan niyo, dalawa o tatlong palitan lang ng possession, naliligaw na yan at di alam kung saan siya pupwesto pag sila ang depensa. Kaya ang mangyayari, ilalabas agad bago pa man maging comportable sa loob.

Kaya anong playing time ang makukuha niya para maging significant contributor?

Eh, sa DLSU, basta nandun ka at di naliligaw sa press, you will get your minutes.

aarreza
07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice game by the Archers today. Papot was a revelation today. Hope that he - as well as his teammates - play this way for the rest of the season. It was really fun watching them play today, very fluid on both sides of the court.

Wished that they played this way last Thursday against NU although on second though, that game might have served as a wake-up call for the team.

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

Bruticus
07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Indeed a very splendid performance kanina. Now it's on to the Big Showdown on the 24th.

Wang-Bu
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Ibang-iba talaga kapag matino ang coaching staff, may pagsasanay at paghahanda, hindi gaya ng coach namin na puro pagpapa-cute ang alam gawin, pinapatay ng corner-to-corner offense ayaw baguhin ang 1-2-2 zone niya, gusto pa yatang sirain ang buhay ng star namin na binabad kahit ika-ika na.

The_Big_Cat
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
The two victories the Archers had came from two struggling teams (UP 0-2 & UE 0-2). Aside from that, those teams have less formidable and inexperienced frontline people.

GHRanger
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Ibang-iba talaga kapag matino ang coaching staff, may pagsasanay at paghahanda, hindi gaya ng coach namin na puro pagpapa-cute ang alam gawin, pinapatay ng corner-to-corner offense ayaw baguhin ang 1-2-2 zone niya, gusto pa yatang sirain ang buhay ng star namin na binabad kahit ika-ika na.

Pareng Wang-Bu.
Pansin ko din yan. May over reliance si Coach Chongson kay Paul Lee - medyo pagod na pagod na si Paul Lee di pa rin pinagpapahinga. Considering na kasama siya doon sa pag break ng press, kasama pa siya sa paggawa ng opensa. (sama mo na yung natapilok siya.)

Napansin ko rin, yung DLSU parang nagpaparactice din ng press break kahit walang press. Kita yun sa pinpoint passing at positioning na ginagawa ng guards, 3 pasa within 3-4 seconds nasa baseline na yung bola. Isa itong rason kaya laging nag-sascramble yung players ng UE.

Sam Miguel
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
The two victories the Archers had came from two struggling teams (UP 0-2 & UE 0-2). Aside from that, those teams have less formidable and inexperienced frontline people.

Ateneo is always an "emotion and tradition" game, which is why I will not count that here, i.e. a weak Ateneo team versus a strong Lasalle team, or weak Lasalle team versus strong Ateneo team, either way it will always be a heck of a game and almost every analysis is thrown out the window.

Lasalle's real test therefore will be against FEU, Adamson and even UST. FEU is the consensus Number 1 team for this tournament and is everybody's barometer. Adamson looks like a Final 4 lock right now. UST with its unorthodox play and barely discernible roles-to-position is always a tricky match.

glock23
07-19-2010, 11:25 PM

you're trying to say that DLSU is weak? Sorry but everyone knows that already! ;D

The_Big_Cat
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM

you're trying to say that DLSU is weak? Sorry but everyone knows that already! ;D

No padre. What I'm saying is that the Archers will have their hands full when they face teams with experienced and formidable frontline like FEU, ADMU and Adamson. You guys are 3 man deep in every position. Kumpleto na kayo experience lang ang kulang.

izon
07-20-2010, 03:01 PM

No padre. What I'm saying is that the Archers will have their hands full when they face teams with experienced and formidable frontline like FEU, ADMU and Adamson. You guys are 3 man deep in every position. Kumpleto na kayo experience lang ang kulang.

Maka abut lang sa final four ok na sa akin.

glock23
07-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Mahina pa din padre, maliit eh. And im sure every basketball pundit is looking at an ADMU rout come Saturday. :)

One thing im sure of though is that this team will not back down from the defending champs.

Wang-Bu
07-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Sir glock kami nga nagulpi ninyo ng halos bente eh, malaki din naman lineup namin.

Ay, bugok nga pala coach namin...

GHRanger
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Sir glock kami nga nagulpi ninyo ng halos bente eh, malaki din naman lineup namin.

Pareng Wang Bu - in fairness sa team niyo - Naka 4 guard rotation kasi kayo eh - kaya nagenjoy sa loob yung mga forwards at centers namin. :)

sanlo
07-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Mahina pa din padre, maliit eh. And im sure every basketball pundit is looking at an ADMU rout come Saturday. :)

One thing im sure of though is that this team will not back down from the defending champs.

Pareng glock, it wont be a rout on sat...unless one team gives up! Since you guys wont give up, it will be an entertaining one!

jembengzon
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Glock, as in all admu-dlsu games, all logical basketball analysis re team strengths and weaknesses goes out the window. Heart and desire play as important a role as discipline, execution, smarts, a winning culture, and just plain luck. I am so sure it will be a great game on satruday. :)

glock23
07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Sanlo and Jem,

You guys are too kind! :) we'll see!

glock23
07-22-2010, 03:37 PM

hahaha! Loko ka talaga pare ko! :D

easter
07-22-2010, 06:10 PM
I think everyone expects a tougher game. Both our teams are quite different now from last year.

nel
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Although we have the same W-L record of 2-1, the first 3 games were not a good indication of the strengths of the teams relative to each other. Ateneo beat UST and Adamson, both of which look like they could contend for the final 4. In contrast, the teams we beat are both 0-3 as of today - UP lost to UST in overtime, and UE was trounced by FEU.

I think we'll have problems in the frontline, and unless we're able to adequately defend the pick and roll and post plays, it will be a long afternoon. Experience-wise, we're also at a disadvantage because most of our players are either rookies or sophomores. Defense will be key for both sides. Let's see how our young players respond to the pressure to perform well.

The Blue Eagles are widely tipped to continue their winning streak, but I like our team's fighting spirit. It'll be an interesting game for sure.

go_flames_go
07-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Astig si Marata! :) Feels good to finally nail one!

8 out of 8 to start the 4th Quarter ... I thought to myself "nako, eto na" ... Congratulations to both teams. Classic.

easter
07-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Congrats to DLSU! Both teams really clawed at each other in this one and it just goes to show that we now have a different landscape out there.

aarreza
07-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Great come from behind win for our young team. You could see that they are all starting to gain confidence. The foundation of a very competitive team - that does not quit - is now in place.

Can't wait for next year when Torres and AVO (and hopefully Vigil) join the frey. Congratulations again.

Feels good to finally win again against the Blue side.

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

batangueño
07-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Prior to this day, La Salle last defeated Ateneo in a UAAP game during the Stepladder Series of 2007 and La Salle last defeated Ateneo in a UAAP eliminations match in during the Second Round of games of the 2005-2006 season.

What else can I say? CONGRATULATIONS to the Green Archers, especially to Sam, Oda and Joshua, and the rest of the Lasallian Community, who never gave up believing that this day would come.

To the Blue Eagles, you did a good job today, especially Justin Chua. Good luck to your upcoming games and see in the Second Round.

LABAN LA SALLE! KAYA YAN!

ANIMO!

Joescoundrel
07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
You know that old sporting cliché about wanting it more? Turns out it’s not a cliche after all.

Season 73 host De La Salle University hung on their terrific fourth period defense and a surprise package off their bench to upend reigning champion Ateneo De Manila 66 – 63 in front of over 16,500 paying fans at the Big Dome.

In an erratic first half that saw turnovers and bricks galore, it looked like the taller and more experienced Blue Eagles were going to conduct a clinic for their younger rivals. With seven rookies and four sophomores, the Green Archers were succumbing to the savvy of Ryan Buenafe, Kirk Long and Eric Salamat. La Salle however managed to hang in there with veterans Joshua Webb and Simon Atkins steadying the ship. Halftime saw Ateneo up 30-26.

The third period turned into another grinding affair as both teams played in spurts. Former UPIS superstars were leading the Green and White charge: Joseph Marata was finding the range from the three-point arc while Joseph Tolentino was wreaking havoc on the passing lanes and fueling the strong La Salle transition attack.

When the fourth period got going though it looked like Ateneo would cruise to the win, as Salamat, Long, Nico Salva, Eman Monfort, and Justin Chua erected a nine-point cushion, the last at 60-51 on a Salamat transition lay-in with over six minutes left. As the Blue and White side was cheering wildly, La Salle sued for time and adjusted their defense to blunt the outlet pass and jump out at the Ateneo perimeter in the halfcourt. All these efforts seemed to be for naught though, as Long, Salva and Monfort found ways to beat the shotclock.

La Salle however got a great game from rookie Jarelan Tampus. The former Letran Squires superstar bodied up on Salamat three-quarters and made off with three transition layups and a well-squared three-pointer with Salamat’s hand in his face. His trey made it 62-61 for La Salle.

In the biggest play of the game, Marata had an in-rhythm three-pointer in Salva’s face to give La Salle the 65-63 lead, time down to 45 seconds. It was his second trey for the game with Salva failing to close out quickly on the match-up zone.

Salva tried to get the bucket back in the ensuing play but dribbled into a La Salle double team and promptly lost the ball. Atkins was fouled on an inbound and split his freethrows for the final score. Chua, who had another great game, clanked two trey attempts that could have sent the game into overtime.

Buenafe, who had a brilliant first half, was inexplicably benched in the second half. Long and Tolentino fouled out for either side. Chua had his second straight double-double by our count with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Webb and Marata each had 12 for La Salle.

"We just wanted it more," said La Salle coach Dindo Pumaren.

energizer
07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
This is my first post here! Awesome win for us. The big test for us will be this Thursday though against FEU.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

lekiboy
07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
In the biggest play of the game, Marata had an in-rhythm three-pointer in Salva’s face to give La Salle the 65-63 lead, time down to 45 seconds. It was his second trey for the game with Salva failing to close out quickly on the match-up zone.

if i remember it right, this was the same issue with Nico when he was with the Red Cubs...."minsan, tulog sa depensa", the same goes with Art Dela Cruz.

shyboy
07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
La Salle however got a great game from rookie Jarelan Tampus. The former Letran Squires superstar bodied up on Salamat three-quarters and made off with three transition layups and a well-squared three-pointer with Salamat’s hand in his face. His trey made it 62-61 for La Salle.

Just a slight correction. Tampus never made a trey. It was Marata who converted two consecutive three-point shots from a 59-63 deficit to a 65-63 La Salle lead. He was 4/4 from 3-point territory for the game.

The_Big_Cat
07-26-2010, 05:22 PM

I only caught the 2nd half. I think Sam Marata buried that go-ahead 3-pointer against Ryan Buenafe? It was off a timeout and Norman Black just fielded back Buenafe. Buenafe was just cold coming off the bench and got lost in the screens where Marata took advantage.

It was like a 13-1 run after being down 53-62. Tampus scored 4 points in that run. There will be games where you will be missing horribly from the perimeter and this is the time you will probably need Tampus' creativity.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Some (personal) crucial points in Saturday's game:

Oda Tampus' defense on Eric Salamat on the closing stages of the ball game (a very big gamble that paid off).

Tampus' four points to start La Salle's run.

Kirk Long fouling out - I think he's the guy that can create a lot on the offensive end for the Blue Eagles. Tingin ko the end game would have been different if he was there for Ateneo. For that game, he's the better leader than Eric Salamat on the floor.

Marata's two big treys of course. The first one was really surprising as Sam hit it right in front of Eric. That could have been a make or break situation for the Archers since walang set-up na nangyari. The second one was a defensive lapse from Ryan Buenafe being left out from the screens set up by the La Salle bigs.

Marata's presence of mind in forcing a jumpball on Nico Salva as the possession arrow was favoring La Salle at that time.

nightowl
07-27-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't know why the blues are so hot on Bacon Austria, practically placing all the blame on him for their end-game collapse last Saturday. There were others on whom blame can at least be equally placed, and we can start with Coach Norman (as they also have !) for using Bacon in those last, crucial minutes, but Ryan Buenafe is at least equally to blame for his poor defense on that last 3 that Marata nailed.

Ryan was slow to fight through the double screen that gave Marata that open 3.

The Green Archers shold also thank Salamat for his trash talking, Escueta for his deliberate flying elbows and Monfort for that wayward arm/hand that cut Marata's eyebrow. They all helped fuel the two, painful (for the blue eagles), 3-point arrows in the last minutes of that game.

Thank you. You also made Sam Marata the UAAP Player of the Week.

Jeep
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't know why the blues are so hot on Bacon Austria, practically placing all the blame on him for their end-game collapse last Saturday. There were others on whom blame can at least be equally placed, and we can start with Coach Norman (as they also have !) for using Bacon in those last, crucial minutes, but Ryan Buenafe is at least equally to blame for his poor defense on that last 3 that Marata nailed.

The Green Archers shold also thank Salamat for his trash talking, Escueta for his deliberate flying elbows and Monfort for that wayward arm/hand that cut Marata's eyebrow. They all helped fuel the two, painful (for the blue eagles), 3-point arrows in the last minutes of that game.

i can't speak for everyone on the blue side, but as far as i'm concerned, we've heard coach norman's reasons for keeping ryan on the bench, and i'm happy with it. do some backreading in our forum and you should see that for yourself. you will concede that if ryan were in there, things would have turned out differently.

on bacon, you saw very well how he turned the ball over a couple times, and how he forced his shots. so it's not like we're on his case for no reason at all. some of us may have gotten carried away with their criticisms but in large part we love bacon to (bacon)bits ;). and he usually plays his best against your team, last saturday being the rare exception. so, to paraphrase our hymn: win or lose, bacon is our boy, and i for one will keep on boosting his stock for as long as he wears our colors.

and congrats btw for the win. (i ought to congratulate my lasallite [LSGH] boss as well who's a friend from my UP years, but he doesn't give a damn about these things ;D ).

nightowl
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
^^^ Actually, Ryan had the ball and drove in, but was covered and passed off to Austria for a jumper. Austria was open, and should really take the shot; it just did not go in. The two lay-ups that Bacon took in the last few minutes looked awkward and did not look like they had a chance to go in, that is true. Again, BOTH Bacon and Ryan were in the game, in the crucial final minute or two.

Ryan had his chance; he was in the ballgame with ADMU ahead by 1, 63-62. He just did not make the play, whether to make the shot or deliver the ball to the right person. He was guarding Marata; he also did not make the play on defense, and allowed that final 3 that put DLSU on top by 2, 65-63. He also had the less-than-a-minute left for final game heroics which did not happen.

Justin Chua missed two 3 pt. shots, why isn't he getting any flak? I guess its because he was top scorer that day, but credit the DLSU defense-they kept the ball out of the hands of the 3 pt. shooters in those crucial last few seconds.

ballzebub
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM

don't forget that dangerous salamat sahod on tolentino. >:( i mean, escueta's elbows, bacon's knee, monfort's arms can only do so much harm, but that sahod of salamat can cripple >:( .

nel
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

i can't speak for everyone on the blue side, but as far as i'm concerned, we've heard coach norman's reasons for keeping ryan on the bench, and i'm happy with it. do some backreading in our forum and you should see that for yourself. you will concede that if ryan were in there, things would have turned out differently.

and congrats btw for the win. (i ought to congratulate my lasallite [LSGH] boss as well who's a friend from my UP years, but he doesn't give a damn about these things ;D ).

Jeep, thanks for weighing in. One thing, though. If Ryan were in there, things might (not would) have turned out differently. Buenafe's presence would not have assured a different ending, because as Coach Black probably concluded, he could be a defensive liability that Coach Dindo might (would probably) have targetted.

We all know that Coach Norman puts a premium on defense. Well, Buenafe might have been the weakest link in Ateneo's defense, because his inability to keep up with his man could lead to cracks in the defense that could be exploited, particularly if the defensive scheme is a straight man-to-man. If a teammate has to switch to cover Ryan's man, it could lead to a mismatch leading to a better shot opportunity. If no switch happens, Ryan's man gets away. A clear case in point is Marata's last trey - they called his number, and he left Buenafe a few steps away to get a clear shot which he sank. Marata's not that fast, but Buenafe wasn't able to keep up with him. Marata was wide open, and Buenafe was too far away to even bother him as he launched his shot. BTW, in 4 games, Marata has hit almost 39% of his 3point attempts, so it's not a good idea to allow him to get open. Maybe that's exactly the kind of situation that Coach Norman was trying to avoid.

Bottom line, Ryan's offensive contributions might have been offset on the other end. We'll really never know. It was a calculated risk by Coach Norman. In that game, our SFs (who probably would have been Ryan's defensive assignments) scored a total of 35 points, which is more than half of our score. If Ryan had more minutes, would our forwards' production have been greater or would he have helped keep their points down? Given that situation, it was a judgment call by the coach. It's hard to say if he made the right decision or not.

@nightowl, agreed. Chua was probably left open by design, and the risk was that he might make his shot. Everyone else was blanketed by the defense to prevent any shot from the other 4 players who all can shoot from 3point range. Again, a calculated risk which seemed to have paid off.

eustacia
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
^^^ Actually, Ryan had the ball and drove in, but was covered and passed off to Austria for a jumper. Austria was open, and should really take the shot; it just did not go in. The two lay-ups that Bacon took in the last few minutes looked awkward and did not look like they had a chance to go in, that is true. Again, BOTH Bacon and Ryan were in the game, in the crucial final minute or two.

Ryan had his chance; he was in the ballgame with ADMU ahead by 1, 63-62. He just did not make the play, whether to make the shot or deliver the ball to the right person. He was guarding Marata; he also did not make the play on defense, and allowed that final 3 that put DLSU on top by 2, 65-63. He also had the less-than-a-minute left for final game heroics which did not happen.

Justin Chua missed two 3 pt. shots, why isn't he getting any flak? I guess its because he was top scorer that day, but credit the DLSU defense-they kept the ball out of the hands of the 3 pt. shooters in those crucial last few seconds.

To be honest, Nico Salva also committed two crucial blunders in the final minutes:

1. Turning the ball over when Ateneo was up by 1 (63-62). In the next play, Marata hit the open three from the top of the key
2. After stealing the ball from Tampus, Salva dribbled past midcourt and lost control of the ball, resulting in a jumpball situation, and possession was awarded to La Salle (at the 0:20 mark, if I recall correctly). Then Ateneo had to foul Atkins to stop the clock, and he made 1 of 2, forcing Ateneo to look for the 3-point shot in their next possession.

The point is, not one person lost this for Ateneo. They were all so tentative in the final minutes. Neither Salva nor Buenafe nor Salamat had it in them to take the shots in the final few possessions, even if they could very well have (I really thought Buenafe could have taken a shot instead of passing out to Austria). Maybe credit is also due to the La Salle defense.

mighty_lion
07-28-2010, 09:49 AM
I like how Dindo found a way to maximize Atkins. One way or another the pressure of creating for the entire team is no longer in Atkins shoulder.

energizer
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Game day against FEU.

ANIMO LA SALLE!

bchoter
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Dropped a double OT against tournament favorite FEU

shyboy
07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Sayang!

On to UST!

Animo La Salle!

izon
07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Dropped a double OT against tournament favorite FEU

Inspite of the loss, I am satisfied with the way the Archers played. Konting maturity pa, this team would be formidable. Next year, this team with be awesome with Torres, Vigil and Van Opstal around hopefully. The guards, well, we have the best of the lot with Marata, de la Paz, Vosotros and Tampus not to mention Elorde. A final 4 standing is within reach.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Personal crucial moments in the game earlier against FEU (not in the order of importance though, please take note):

The inbound pass turnover which resulted to RR Garcia's game tying lay-up in regulation - I think all players dapat lumapit kanina to get the pass instead of just concentrating on getting the ball to Simon. Romeo or RR already almost had a steal in an inbound pass in the previous play, buti na lang and it was called a foul but on the 2nd time around, wala nang tawag and RR was able to finish the lay-up.

Too many missed lay-ups - From the start of the game until the end, the Archers were plagued by missed opportunities sa lay-ups. Webb, Andrada, Tolentino, and Tampus all missed lay-ups that could have changed the game's complexion kung lahat yun pumasok. I don't know if that was because of FEU's big men challenging their shots or sadyang hindi lang talaga matapos ng mga bata yung mga lay-ups nila, or better put it this way, baka kinabahan while taking the shot (this is not an Ateneo-La Salle game pero tingin ko may konting kaba on the part of the boys during the first quarter at the start of the game).

Josh Webb fouling Paul Sanga in a crucial moment of the ballgame - The Archers were only down by two points until suddenly, Josh Webb made another crucial foul on Paul Sanga. I said "another" because parang nasanay na ata akong nakikita si Josh committing on these mental lapses every game. He did the same thing kay Monfort naman last Saturday if you guys recall it.

Experience of the Tamaraws - Kahit ano pang sabihin natin, it was evident that the Tamaraws had the experience advantage towards the end game. Even if they were down in double digits, they just kept on crawling back. They abandoned their 1-2-2 zone press to concentrate on their physical half court defense. Eventually, the young Archers got tired and bumigay din sa dulo. The Archers just could not close the ballgame na dapat sana sa kanila na.

I think malaking bagay itong talo na ito for the team. For sure, they learned a lot from this and I hope magamit nila yung experience that they gained from this game to their upcoming games. Remember that La Salle's remaining games include UST and Adamson, two hard-nosed tough teams and kung ano yung physicality kanina malamang ganun din ang makukuha nila on those two teams. They just have to be focused physically and mentally in order to put away such tough games.

nel
07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Sometimes the team has to go through a tough loss like this as part of the maturation process. At crucial moments in the 4th quarter, they were so tentative and unable to run their offense, and the defense was unable to hold the determined charge of the more experienced Tams. Most of them had never been in this kind of situation before, and had no prior experience to call on to guide them.

Now that they've been through it, they won't be so surprised or intimidated the next time. Of course, the other teams will now be better prepared as well for the Archer game. Interesting how this season is shaping up.

Even though it was a tough game that got away, I can say "great game, team!".

energizer
07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
I was in Araneta yesterday, the whole La Salle gallery applauded loudly when the final buzzer sounded. We were all happy with how the guys played despite the loss. Imagine leading against the top seeded team most of the game.

The shots were there but they didn't just fall in. We also need to improve our free throw shooting. If the guys had sunk their free throws, the outcome might have been different.

Yesterday's game showed that we can go head on against the top seeded teams this year.

We will definitely make it to the final 4.

ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

Stardust
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
The future looks very bright for the Archers despite the heartbreak lost yesterday. Another reliable big and you will lord it again in the UAAP.

Animo!

Dark Knight
07-30-2010, 06:51 PM
What can i say? We just got lucky winning against la Salle on our bad game day.

Tenacity and resiliency are the words.

Sam Miguel
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
From Inquirer Sports - - -

Hot-shooting Tams still unscathed; Archers trip Tigers

By Jasmine Payo

MANILA, Philippines-- Far Eastern University takes pride in its defensive game. But it was the Tamaraws' offense, anchored on white-hot shooting, that shone Sunday.

The unbeaten Tamaraws recorded the highest shooting percentage in seven years to clip the Adamson Falcons, 74-65, and strengthen their hold of the top spot in the 73rd UAAP men's basketball tournament at the PhilSports Arena.

RR Garcia led a balanced charge with 16 points as the Tamaraws registered an impressive 57.4 percent shooting clip.

"I can't say anything more, I'm proud of the boys," said FEU coach Glenn Capacio. "From our first group to the third group, the intensity was the same. Offensively and defensively, this was our best game."

And as the title-favorite Tamaraws continued to live up to its billing, La Salle's young Green Archers sustained their surprise run by grabbing solo second after downing University of Santo Tomas, 61-53, in the second game.

The Archers raced to a 19-point advantage, 41-22, and bucked the Tigers' fourth-quarter rally on the way to their fourth victory in six games.

Jovet Mendoza topscored with 16 points, but the Archers also drew solid games from rookies Almond Vosotros and Luigi dela Paz.

"Our game plan was to play defense above the three-point area because we know UST loves to shoot," said La Salle coach Dindo Pumaren.

Adamson fell to a share of third with the Ateneo Blue Eagles at 3-2, while UST slipped to fifth at 3-3.

The Tigers came as close as four points, 53-49, with Chris Camus sparking the run and Clark Bautista nailing three of his five triples in the fourth quarter.

"I just reminded the players to make some stops, and luckily we did," said Pumaren.

The Tamaraws' were virtually unstoppable from the field, recording the highest shooting clip since the University of the East shot 60 percent in its 80-69 triumph over National University on Sept 4, 2003.

FEU veteran Aldrech Ramos collected 13 points, seven rebounds and two blocks, while Cameroonian Pipo Noundou posted a double-double of 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Tamaraws.

"I know that the other teams are focusing their defense on me, so it's good that everyone's contributing," said Garcia, a former RP Youth Team member.

The Tamaraws had a staggering 60.7 shooting clip in the first half for a 42-32 advantage, before stretching the gap to as many as 15 points, 58-43, in the third quarter.

But Capacio said the Tamaraws, who will shoot for a first-round sweep against the Tigers on Saturday, need to work on their end game. "I'm not happy with our finish, we had turnovers down the stretch," said Capacio.

Alex Nuyles, who shot a game-high 23 points, towed the Falcons within seven, 58-51, before the Tamaraws responded with a 14-5 spurt to erect a 72-56 lead with four minutes left.

The Tigers had 16 turnovers in the first two quarters as the Archers coasted to a 37-22 halftime advantage.

Bautista, who paced the Tigers with 18 points, accounted for all but one of UST's six total three-pointers in the game. The Tigers averaged 10 triples per game in its previous five outings.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Archers’ end game composure slays Tigers, propels them to solo second place
By: bigfreeze_bibby

No, not this time around. This was De La Salle University Green Archers’ battle cry yesterday as they have to buck down a gritty University of Santo Tomas rally in the fourth quarter to break their deadlock in the standings by hacking out a 61-53 victory in the UAAP Senior’s basketball competition at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig City.

Coming from a tough loss last Thursday against the league-leading FEU Tamaraws by blowing out a double-digit lead also in the fourth quarter, the Archers had to rely on frontmen Maui Villanueva, Yutien Andrada, and best player of the game Jovet Mendoza to cancel out Clark Bautista’s hot shooting from the trifecta region in the pay-off quarter.

The Tigers, who tried to live for most of the game using their perimeter attack, just ran out of options when the Archers adjusted in covering Bautista on both the fastbreak and in set-up plays. Luigi Dela Paz and Simon Atkins alternately covered Bautista after converting three triples in the fourth quarter courtesy of La Salle miscues and missed opportunities on the offensive end. Chris Camus helped Bautista in scoring for the Tigers on that run, making short jumpers due to La Salle defenders sagging, allowing the slotman to convert freely from the perimeter.

The good thing that kept La Salle on that quarter was the aggressive play of their frontline, allowing second chance possessions for the Archers and points from the charity stripe in the closing stages of the game. Villanueva, Andrada, and Mendoza combined for 12 out of La Salle’s 14 points on the fourth quarter.

La Salle started out strong erecting a 22-12 lead in the second quarter behind rookie point guard Almond Vosotros and Luigi Dela Paz scoring 6 points a piece. UST was no where to be found in the entire second quarter as they only scored 10 points while committing 8 turnovers. It was the only quarter where UST gunner Jeric Teng scored his only point and field goal of the game with a buzzer beating jumper.

In the third canto, La Salle extended their lead and had their biggest lead at 19 points at 43-24 with 5:19 left in the quarter via a Papot Paredes lay-up. But when the fourth quarter came, La Salle simply fell asleep. The Archers became very tentative on offense and the Tigers capitalized on the situation by running on fast breaks and scoring either with Clark Bautista positioning himself for a wide open three or with Camus taking it strong to the hoop. Bautista’s fifth triple of game cut La Salle’s lead to four points, 53-49 with 4:45 left in the final quarter.

The Archers finally put the Tigers away via Dela Paz’s jumper and Andrada converting a lay-up from a nice assist pass from Vosotros, to establish a 10-point lead, 59-49 with 1:32 left in the fourth quarter. It was from there that the La Salle crowd had a sigh of relief from a possible end-game collapse for the second straight game. Jovet Mendoza topped the Archers with a brilliant 12-point, 7-rebound performance (five there came from the offensive glass) while Clark Bautista led the Tiger with 18 points, 15 coming from the three-point region.

It was La Salle’s first victory this season wherein team captain Simon Atkins not starting out the scoring in the game by connecting a three-ball. But in all of La Salle’s wins this season, Atkins was the first one to score for the Archers.

The key statistics for the game were the offensive rebounds and the turnovers. La Salle outrebounded UST in the offensive glass, 15-8 and in total rebounds, 42-35. Maui Villanueva had 9 rebounds while Sam Marata had 8 rebounds for the Archers. La Salle’s trademark defense also forced UST to commit 25 turnovers compared to La Salle’s 18.

The Green Archers will complete their first round of eliminations assignment on Sunday, August 8, against the Adamson University Falcons at 2pm in the PhilSports Arena while the Growling Tigers will cap their first round schedule with a date with the FEU Tamaraws on Saturday, 4pm at the FilOil Arena.

Box scores:
La Salle 61 – Mendoza 12, Vosotros 8, Dela Paz 8, Villanueva 8, Atkins 7, Tolentino 6, Andrada 6, Tampus 2, Paredes 2, Marata 2, Webb 0, Ferdinand 0.

UST 53 – Bautista 18, Camus 13, Mariano 8, Afuang 6, Pe 4, Teng 2, Fortuna 2, Daquioag 0, Marquez 0, Aytona 0.

Quarterscores: 15-12, 37-22, 47-33, 61-53

Joescoundrel
08-09-2010, 08:58 AM
C/o Philippine Star ___

Eagles rock Warriors; Falcons elude Archers

By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star)

Erik Salamat presided over a torrid fourth quarter attack as Ateneo repulsed University of the East, 80-73, to finish second after the first round of eliminations yesterday in the UAAP Season 73 seniors basketball tournament.

Salamat hit back-to-back triples and canned three foul shots to fire up the Eagles in a 29-16 run in the final quarter that propelled the Katipunan-based cagers to a 5-2 card, two games behind unbeaten leader Far Eastern U (7-0).

Adamson also wrapped up its first round campaign with a 5-2 slate for the No. 3 slot after prevailing over La Salle in come-from-behind fashion, 70-68, earlier.

“We struggled the entire game offensively and the two three-point shots of Erik really got us back into the game and lifted our spirits a little bit and our morale. He really came up big time for us today,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black of his skipper, who had 10 points in the fourth for a game-high 23.

“Defensively, we’re a little bit off, they (Warriors) were able to hit their outside shots. But Erik came up with big shots in the end and Juami Tiongson also had big baskets down the stretch (that pulled us through),” Black said.

Salamat’s nine straight points forced a standoff at 63 after UE built a 51-44 lead late in the third. His energy rubbed off on Emman Monfort and Kirk Long, who each connected on a triple, and Tiongson, who had two straight 15-footers that gave Ateneo a 77-71 cushion with 1:06 left.

Nico Salva and Justine Chua backstopped Salamat with 13 apiece while Long finished with 10.

Paul Lee (16 points, nine rebounds and seven assists) and Kenneth Acibar (14 points and 10 boards) led UE, which finished second last year but closed out the first round elims with a woeful 1-6.

After playing man-to-man all year long and the first three periods against La Salle, the Adamson Falcons suddenly switched to zone and outplayed the Archers in the last 10 minutes, 18-9, to post their best first-round record since the Final Four format was introduced in 1994.

“We made a major adjustment in defense and that was the key,” said Adamson coach Leo Austria.

“They did not expect us to play zone since we’ve never played zone in the summer leagues and in the first six games. And we know we cannot contain La Salle ‘s offense from start to finish with a man-to-man defense, so we made that adjustment in the fourth quarter.”

Throwing the Archers off guard, the Falcons methodically extinguished La Salle ‘s 54-46 lead, with Jan Colina, Lester Alvarez, Alex Nuyles and Eric Camson doing the most damage.

Camson nailed a basket underneath to give Adamson a 67-66 spread but DLSU retook the upperhand, 68-67, on a drive by Joseph Tolentino with 1:22 to go.

Nuyles then swished an acrobatic shot to hand the edge back to the Falcons, 69-68, with 35 seconds left.

The 6-4 Camson later disrupted Joseph Tolentino’s pass to Alvin Villanueva to restore possession for Adamson then connected on a split following DLSU’s three “duty fouls” for a 70-68 tear, 12.9 ticks to go.

Will Stinnett and Alvarez foiled Luigi de la Paz’s offensive maneuver in the final 5.6 seconds to seal the triumph for AdU.

La Salle ended the first-round with a 4-3 slate.

Colina normed 16 markers for AdU while Camson added 15 and Alvarez had 12, seven of them in the final canto.

Rookie de la Paz led the way for La Salle with 13, followed by Joshua Webb, Joseph Marata and Tolentino with 10 apiece.

In women’s action, Adamson demolished University of the East, 114-72, to catch up with idle Far Eastern at the helm at 6-0.

Anna Buendia (22), Analyn Almasan (20), Gretchie Roque (18), Snow Penaranda (16) and Fria Bernardo (12) combined for 88 points, which were good enough to beat the entire Lady Warriors side.

UE, which was led by Cindy Resultay’s 26, absorbed its sixth straight loss to remain entrenched at the cellar.

Santo Tomas disposed of National U, 72-68, to share third spot with La Salle at 4-2.

Notes: US Ambassador to the Philippines Harry Thomas was on hand to witness the Ateneo-UE match, as did visiting Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra, who watched the third quarter of the game.

youngdude
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
The lost from yesterday's game was another heartbreaking one since just like our game against FEU, we have the lead going into the final period but we just lost again in the dying minutes.. I hope Ferdinand will improve in the second round of the UAAP because he has been useless for the past 7 games of DLSU.. He should be ashamed of himself because the rookies play way even better than him.. His built and strength are totally useless.. Common Ferdinand, be ashamed of yourself and do play well.. With the way you're playing, I don't think that you deserve to be included in the first five.. Seriously, DLSU fans are getting irritated and frustrated to him as he has not done anything..

youngdude
08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
UAAP Season 73 (SECOND ROUND)

Aug 12 Thursday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UST vs UE
4PM FEU vs AdU

Aug 14 Saturday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM ADMU vs UP
4PM DLSU vs NU

Aug 15 Sunday - Philsports Arena
2PM FEU vs UE
4PM AdU vs UST

Aug 19 Thursday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UP vs DLSU
4PM ADMU vs NU

Aug 21 Saturday - Philsports Arena
2PM UE vs AdU
4PM UST vs FEU

Aug 22 Sunday - Araneta Coliseum
12PM NU vs UP
4PM ADMU vs DLSU

Aug 26 Thursday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM AdU vs UP
4PM UE vs ADMU

Aug 28 Saturday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UP vs UST
4PM FEU vs DLSU

Aug 29 Sunday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UE vs NU
4PM AdU vs ADMU

Sept 2 Thursday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM NU vs FEU
4PM DLSU vs UST

Sept 4 Saturday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UE vs DLSU
4PM NU vs AdU

Sept 5 Sunday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM FEU vs UP
4PM UST vs ADMU

Sept 9 Thursday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UST vs NU
4PM DLSU vs AdU

Sept 11 Saturday - Araneta Coliseum
2PM UP vs UE
4PM ADMU vs FEU

from greenarchers.ph

bchoter
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
eyebrow raising post again...

jembengzon
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
paumanhin lang po, ang sakit sa mata ang mga syntax and conjugation errors. sorry mods, di ko lang mapigilan. :o

nel/glock - turuan niyo yung bata, maganda ang punto pero hirap basahin. pwede naman sa tagalog na magsulat, katulad ni pareng wangbu - malinis, diretso sa punto, klaro, madali maintindihan :)

glock23
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
paumanhin lang po, ang sakit sa mata ang mga syntax and conjugation errors. sorry mods, di ko lang mapigilan. :o

nel/glock - turuan niyo yung bata, maganda ang punto pero hirap basahin. pwede naman sa tagalog na magsulat, katulad ni pareng wangbu - malinis, diretso sa punto, klaro, madali maintindihan :)

Padre, encrypted yata! :) One thing clear was his/her disappointment with Ferdie. hahaha!

sanlo
08-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Padre, encrypted yata! :) One thing clear was his/her disappointment with Ferdie. hahaha!

I dont know about you guys but I believe pinasadya yan talaga. Mahirap isulat yon! Napa-isip kayo niba? ;D

nel
08-09-2010, 10:47 PM
The lost from yesterday's game was another heartbreaking one since just like our game against FEU, we have the lead going into the final period but we just lost again in the dying minutes.. I hope Ferdinand will improve in the second round of the UAAP because he has been useless for the past 7 games of DLSU.. He should be ashamed of himself because the rookies play way even better than him.. His built and strength are totally useless.. Common Ferdinand, be ashamed of yourself and do play well.. With the way you're playing, I don't think that you deserve to be included in the first five.. Seriously, DLSU fans are getting irritated and frustrated to him as he has not done anything..

Well, unfortunately it's not our opinion that matters regarding the on-court time of our players - it's the coaches. Their grasp of the game is much more than what we fans can ever hope to have, and they have game plans that we can only guess at. The coaches start Ferdinand - he's good at getting the opening tip, and if he performs well, he gets more minutes.

If you're so adamant about your views, you can always approach the kotzes during der practises at Razon.

Oh yeah, it's kinda herd on the i's when der are grammer and sintex errors in a post.

ramonsd
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Aww, common, guys. Give the person a brick!

salsa caballero
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
be ashamed of yourself ='s mahiya ka naman sa sarili mo! (pwede na siguro ako sa translation management kung tama hula ko...)

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Green Archers nip Bulldogs, Solidify grip for 4th place in the Standings

It took two rookies and a seasoned veteran to carry the scoring cudgels for De La Salle University when it mattered most in the second half to prevent another end game collapse as the Green Archers nipped the National University Bulldogs, 59-56 in the second round of elimination action of the UAAP mens basketball tournament held at the Araneta Coliseum yesterday afternoon.

Veteran guard Simon Atkins, Rookies Almond Vosotros and Papot Paredes scored for a combined 28 points in the second half to help stave off the rally of the Bulldogs after being down by double-digits at two instances in the second half.

The Bulldogs trailed by 11 points, 35-24 at the 6:06 mark of the 3rd quarter after Simon Atkins converting his first triple of the ballgame. NU again had a double-digit deficit with 35 seconds passing by the 4th quarter as Atkins converted his third triple of the ballgame, extending La Salle’s lead to 46-34.

But La Salle was outscored by the ferocious Bulldogs throughout the quarter by the help of RP Youth point guard Joseph Terso, slotman Jewel Ponferrada, former Letran Squire Glenn Khobuntin, and Marion Magat who slowly chipped the Green Archers lead by a patient 2-3 match up zone which caused problems again for Coach Dindo’s wards for the second straight game.

It was the same defense employed by the Adamson University Falcons on their encounter against the Green Archers last August 8, 2010 where Coach Leo Austria’s boys prevailed after trailing for most parts of the second half, stealing the game from the Taft-based squad, 70-68.

With outside gunner Sam Marata playing minimal minutes with a flu, Simon Atkins had to step up hitting three-point bombs to try and break NU’s zone defense. But when the Archers could not buy a basket, Terso was always leading the break for the Bulldogs, either scoring a basket of setting up his teammates for easy baskets.

Terso’s basket at the 2:11 mark of the 4th quarter cut La Salle’s lead to just one point, 53-52. Papot Paredes on the other end answered back with a driving lay-up against the zone defense of the Bulldogs to bring back La Salle’s lead to three, 55-52 with 1:49 left in regulation.

On the next ensuing play for NU, Joshua Webb got a steal off Mervin Baloran and passed the ball quickly to Almond Vosotros who scored his 14th point of the ballgame in style by faking a pass behind the back before converting an off-the-glass jumper plus a foul from Joseph Hermosisima to extend La Salle’s lead to 57-52 with 1:40 to go.

Mervin Baloran scored on NU’s next possession to cut La Salle’s lead to 57-54 with 1:24 left in the game. Yutien Andrada’s charging foul at the 1:21 mark and Vosotros’ missed jumper to beat the shot-clock violation with 29 seconds to go staged NU’s another chance at a fightback as Joseph Terso quickly converted a lay-up to inch the Bulldogs closer to the Green Archers at 57-56 with 14 seconds left in the ballgame.

On almost a repeat performance of the inbound error committed by the young Archers on their first round match against league-leading FEU Tamaraws, Joseph Hermosisima almost made a steal on the inbounds pass to intended to Simon Atkins with 8 seconds to go. But with the ball up in the air, Vosotros jumped high to catch the ball and was fouled by Terso with 6 seconds to go.

With Vosotros converting both freebies and with the Bulldogs running out of time outs, NU had to run the ball from the backcourt. With time running out, Mervin Baloran had no choice but to take a challenged three-ball attempt that missed as the final buzzer sounded, giving the victory for the Green Archers. It was a sweet revenge for the Archers after dropping a 59-55 decision to the Bulldogs on their first round encounter last July 15, 2010.

Glenn Khobuntin will be suspended on NU’s next game against the Ateneo de Manila Blue Eagles on Thursday, August 19 for his unsportsmanlike foul on Sam Marata back in the second quarter of yesterday’s game. Khobuntin committed a tripping attempt by sweeping his foot while Sam was running the break with the Archers leading 19-18 and with 4:05 left in the 2nd canto.

The Green Archers stay at fourth place in the standings at 5-3 while the Bulldogs drop at 3-5 and is at fifth place.

La Salle will face UP, which dropped a 75-59 decision to Ateneo on Thursday at 2pm in Araneta Coliseum while NU will face Ateneo also on Thursday in the second game at 4pm.

Box Scores:
La Salle 59 – Vosotros 16, Atkins 13, Paredes 6, Elorde 4, Villanueva 3, Tolentino 3, Banal 3, Dela Paz 2, Webb 2, Mendoza 2, Marata 2, Andrada 2, Tampus 1, Ferdinand 0.

NU 56 – Mbe 15, Terso 15, Baloran 10, Magat 6, Khobuntin 4, Ponferrada 3, Hermosisima 3, Javillonar 0, Eriobu 0, Tungcul 0, Singh 0, Malanday 0.

Quarterscores: 16-12, 23-22, 43-34, 59-56

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs130.ash2/39843_422759397998_579617998_4642339_7779964_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs147.ash2/40679_422759387998_579617998_4642338_5011570_n.jpg

With FEU beating UE, 82-77 and Ad.U beating UST in double overtime, 81-76, here are the updated team standings in the Seniors division:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs130.ash2/39843_422759402998_579617998_4642340_2968106_n.jpg

Joescoundrel
08-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Never underestimate the heart of a champion. Rudy Tomjanovic immortalized a cliche after his Houston Rockets won back-back NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. Looks like Norman Black inculcated the same thing in his Ateneo Blue Eagles. Reigning back-back champion Ateneo ripped Season 73 host Lasalle 74 - 57 for their sixth straight victory in the tournament. In a game touted as payback for the Blue Eagles after their close 63-66 loss to the Green Archers in Round 1, Ateneo played the game they should have played back then.

Lasalle looked headed for yet another upset over the favored Ateneo side when they jumped out to a 9-4 lead early in the game. Kirk Long however buried a trey to give Ateneo the lead for good at 11-9. Long would give Ateneo its first 20-point lead with a transition layup to make it 39-19 and he would provide the largest lead of the contest with another transition layup at 55-29. By the time Long was done he had a career-best 22 points to lead Ateneo while rookie sensation Arthur Dela Cruz had his first UAAP double-double with 10 point and 10 boards.

Ateneo simply played harder and went after loose balls and extra possessions more. Everything Lasalle did in their Round1 encounter, Ateneo did in this game. Lasalle also badly missed from long range and could not penetrate the tight Ateneo zone coverages. Jovet Mendoza sparked some hope with a 10-point third period outburst to lead the Archers with 20 points, but got little help from anybody else.

Joescoundrel
08-23-2010, 07:57 AM
From Inquirer Sports ___

Long bombs detonate as Eagles blast Archers

Ateneo dealt La Salle a nightmarish beating as the defending champions crushed the Green Archers, 74-57, to grab solo second in the UAAP men's basketball tournament yesterday at the jampacked Araneta Coliseum.

The Blue Eagles quickly locked up their sixth straight victory as American guard Kirk Long triggered an early scoring barrage that gave Ateneo a 19-9 lead in the first quarter.

The Eagles later widened the gap by as many as 26 points, 55-29, in the third quarter on their way to an 8-2 record that virtually assured them of a Final Four slot.

“It was like a nightmare,” said La Salle coach Dindo Pumaren, whose wards dropped to 6-4.

Naturally, to Ateneo, it was a dream.

“The game always becomes a lot easier when we hit our outside shots and Kirk did a great job knocking down those shots,” said coach Norman Black.

Long pumped in a career-high 22 points, 12 coming from three-point range, to help the Eagles avenge their heartbreaking 66-63 setback versus the Archers in the first round.

Rookie Arthur dela Cruz, the son of ex-pro Art, also posted a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds against an anemic La Salle squad that got clobbered right at the opening bell.

“It was a bad start,” said Pumaren. “We didn't play La Salle basketball. We forgot our defensive rules, maybe because of excitement. We didn't get our rhythm. I told the boys to dictate the tempo, but the opposite happened. We made a lot of mistakes.”

The blockbuster match that had a star-studded 15,632-strong crowd led by former President Joseph Estrada, an Ateneo alumnus, his son. Sen. Jinggoy Estrada and US Ambassador Harry K. Thomas Jr.

Long sizzled from beyond the arc in the first quarter, nailing three triples in Ateneo’s 15-0 tear that gave the Eagles their first double-digit lead, 19-9.

The Eagles zoomed to an 18-point advantage, 29-11, after opening the second quarter with a 10-0 blitz capped by an Emman Monfort triple.

The scores:
Second Game
ATENEO 74—Long 22, Dela Cruz 10, Buenafe 9, Salva 7, Monfort 7, Salamat 6. Golla 6, Austria 3, Escueta 2, Chua 2, Erram 0, Tiongson 0.
LA SALLE 57—Mendoza 20, Villanueva 7, Andrada 6, Tampus 5, Tolentino 5, Atkins 5, Marata 4, Dela Paz 3, Webb 2, Vosotros 0, Paredes 0, Elorde 0, Ferdinand 0, Banal 0.
Quarters: 19-11, 39-21, 61-40, 74-57

jerico
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
i watched the game live at the big dome with a die hard ball fan as well. despite him not coming from dlsu (as his alma mater plays in the other collegiate league, as he said, he would like to show support like me, even going to game in green), we tried hard to score tickets just to see another epic battle unfold. there was a battle alright but likely short of epic. the boys from katipunan took charge mid Q1 and never looked back. lets give credit where credit is due, ateneo brought their A game with them, whilst La Salle was hit hard and could not recover anymore.

Ateneo was like a possessed team hitting basket after basket, and La Salle was sort of belleding for every hoop the could get. what sort of caught my attention was the fact that Ateneo seemed to be sharper in terms of ball rotation this game. i heard it from some sources that they also noticed the same change in the offensive style of Red Lions, specifically when they beat their fellow rivals the Stags.

See any connection here...Ateneo - San Beda - MVP - SBP - Gilas - Rakjo. i heard that (though unconfirmed) that some ball movement plays from the Serbian coach found its way into the notebooks of the said 2 teams. though technically nothing is said about having a foreign consultant to your team, i just want to know if this story has any basis at all.

im still hopeful that La Salle would make it to the F4, in which case they will likely see the boys in blue again. we have proven that we could beat them before (pre-season and round 1), we can do it again (even with foreign technology transfer so to speak). lets just bring our A game as well.

An1mo La Salle

Joescoundrel
08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
^ Welcome to Gameface, Jerico.

Ateneo did not pull anything special in this latest installment of the continuing Ateneo-Lasalle epic. We simply did the things Lasalle did to us in Round 1 - which was to work hard from opening tip to final buzzer. We ran after the loose balls, tapped rebounds we could not get to right away, gave up the extra pass to teammates in better position, and of course it helped that Kirk Long decided he'd have a career game this game.

On defense it was the same Ateneo zone coverages but with quicker rotations and better anticipation into the passing lanes, and of course the unforced turnovers on your team's part.

Lasalle still has a chance to get a Final 4 slot, but your guys need to bring their A game every game or they will be walloped. You still have FEU and Adamson ahead.

GHRanger
08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
@ Joe -- Congratulations to ADMU for the win.

I think the last 4 games will serve different purposes:
FEU and Adamson, I believe, would be excellent experience -- beating them would tell us that we are truly ready for the Final 4 -- losing would mean there are a few more things we need to tweak. But UE and UST will be important in terms of positioning in the standings.

I believe the team we need to beat would be UE and UST - both are closest to us in the standings - to solidify the final four. Both have 4 games they need to win to get 7-7. By beating both of them, the standings will go up at least to 8W for DLSU and 6-8 score for both teams which would maintain a 2 game advantage. Of course there's NU -- we'll need to win 2 games at least to knock NU out.

Both UE and UST will have the same set of challenges as they will go against the same opponents in their last 4 games - DLSU, ADMU, UP, NU. Pero bilog ang bola. Adamson also has the risk of being tied for the 4th slot if they lose their games.

nel
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
@Joe, congratulations on the win. The Blue Eagles really wanted it more, and it showed in how they went for all the balls within reach. Our team was a step slower.

With our current record at 6-4, 2 wins gets us at least a tie for the final 4 and the only team that can catch us will be NU, which is at 4-6. The best UE and UST can do is 7-7, and 2 wins puts us out of reach for these 2 teams. If we win 3 out of the 4 remaining games against FEU, Adamson, UE, and UST, we're in the final 4.

GHRanger
08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
@Joe, congratulations on the win. The Blue Eagles really wanted it more, and it showed in how they went for all the balls within reach. Our team was a step slower.

With our current record at 6-4, 2 wins gets us at least a tie for the final 4 and the only team that can catch us will be NU, which is at 4-6. The best UE and UST can do is 7-7, and 2 wins puts us out of reach for these 2 teams. If we win 3 out of the 4 remaining games against FEU, Adamson, UE, and UST, we're in the final 4.

Nel, you are correct, there -- i didn't take into consideration NU's win yesterday. We need 3 games essentially because NU leads by quotient -- DLSU by 3, NU by 4.

jembengzon
08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
ranger, if i recall correctly, the argument last year was the quotient comes into determination who will be the first seed between 1-2 and 3-4 place. if the tie is between teams for 2-3 (for the twice to beat), or for 4-5 (for the final four last slot), then it was a sudden death playoff match. i could be mistaken though :)

rabbaddal
08-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Ateneo was like a possessed team hitting basket after basket, and La Salle was sort of belleding for every hoop the could get. what sort of caught my attention was the fact that Ateneo seemed to be sharper in terms of ball rotation this game. i heard it from some sources that they also noticed the same change in the offensive style of Red Lions, specifically when they beat their fellow rivals the Stags.

See any connection here...Ateneo - San Beda - MVP - SBP - Gilas - Rakjo. i heard that (though unconfirmed) that some ball movement plays from the Serbian coach found its way into the notebooks of the said 2 teams. though technically nothing is said about having a foreign consultant to your team, i just want to know if this story has any basis at all.

It's the other way around. Notice that Toroman would watch Ateneo's games when he started to handle to Gilas job, and soon started tinkering with a system that uses 3 smaller players reinforced by a solid PF and center, which was a setup Ateneo had been using since the days of Joe Lipa and eventually perfected by Norman Black.

Maybe all that ball movement and pick setting is more noticable today because unlike the past 2 years, Ateneo does not have dominant big men, so it has to rely more on the outside shooters. Also, the performance of shooters like Long and Monfort has been much improved since previous seasons to the point that Black can go to them as first offensive options more often.

easter
08-24-2010, 07:16 AM
With our current record at 6-4, 2 wins gets us at least a tie for the final 4 and the only team that can catch us will be NU, which is at 4-6. The best UE and UST can do is 7-7, and 2 wins puts us out of reach for these 2 teams.

I agree, you guys get 2 wins and UE and UST are goners. NU is the immediate problem for the Archers. The bright spot about it is that like you guys, they still have to face FEU and Adamson. You guys have the advantage here since you are up 2 games against NU at this point and that is a tough mountain to climb for the Bulldogs with 4 games remaining in the eliminations.

GHRanger
08-24-2010, 08:23 AM
ranger, if i recall correctly, the argument last year was the quotient comes into determination who will be the first seed between 1-2 and 3-4 place. if the tie is between teams for 2-3 (for the twice to beat), or for 4-5 (for the final four last slot), then it was a sudden death playoff match. i could be mistaken though :)

@Jem, actually, medyo malabo yung quotient / playoff system ng UAAP. Remember ADMU/DLSU tie that just turned into a best of 3 for both teams? I think the quotient system also applies to a 3 way logjam. But bottomline - for DLSU to escape all of these technicalities, we need that 1 game lead over NU.

jembengzon
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
GHRanger, yup i agree. my wife's saying is" worry about the things you can control, the things you can't don't worry about them." you can worry about controlling your own destiny, which translates into winning at least 2 or 3 of the 4 remaining games. how NU performs (or ust and ue for that matter) - of which they have to face feu, ue, adu and ust - and whatever wins they produce, should just be icing on the cake for you guys.

i told nel and glock i think your team has a solid foundation for you to build on. Good luck in your remaining games :)

bigfreeze_bibby
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
GHR, para madali ang usapan, we have (or should I say need) to win all our remaining games para wala tayong problem in our 4th place standing as of this moment (or could be higher, it depends). It will be easier said than done pero we have no choice right now.

I do hope that we will be able to bounce back "big" against FEU on Saturday. Yung talo natin last Sunday was because Ateneo had all the extras on that game. Extra hustle, effort, energy, and desire to win the game. If we want to achieve something this season, yan ang mga bagay na kakailanganin natin. Hindi nakikita sa stat sheet pero it always have bearing sa final score ng ballgame.

GHRanger
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Jem, BFB - Thanks at tama kayo doon.

FEU will be a tough nut to crack -- but it can be cracked. But only if we play like we did the last time and play 40 mins of basketball. Though I am the first to admit that the it will be different this time around. FEU and DLSU would've gained more experience. Both teams would have already figured out the reasons why each team has won/lost. Both teams would've already gelled at varying degrees.

So for the coaches, i guess the key here will be adjustment (and figuring out how to beat that zone.) For the players, they must really want to win pero hindi gigil. As the cliche goes - the team who will win will likely be the one to want it more, and score more points than the opponent. :)

eustacia
08-27-2010, 10:25 AM

@Jem, actually, medyo malabo yung quotient / playoff system ng UAAP. Remember ADMU/DLSU tie that just turned into a best of 3 for both teams? I think the quotient system also applies to a 3 way logjam. But bottomline - for DLSU to escape all of these technicalities, we need that 1 game lead over NU.

I think the quotient will apply in the following cases:

-Tie in the #1 and #2 positions
-Tie in the #4 and #5 positions
-Three way tie. If there's a tie for #1, 2 and 3, the team with the highest quotient automatically gets the twice-to-beat advantage. The two remaining teams will play one game to decide who gets the other twice-to-beat advantage.
If there's a tie for #2, 3 and 4, the team with the highest quotient gets a bye, the #3 and 4 will play one game to decide who faces #2 for the twice-to-beat advantage. If there's a tie for #3, 4 and 5, the team with the highest quotient is automatically in the final four, the two other teams play one game to decide who gets the last final four slot.

izon
08-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Jem, BFB - Thanks at tama kayo doon.

FEU will be a tough nut to crack -- but it can be cracked. But only if we play like we did the last time and play 40 mins of basketball. Though I am the first to admit that the it will be different this time around. FEU and DLSU would've gained more experience. Both teams would have already figured out the reasons why each team has won/lost. Both teams would've already gelled at varying degrees.

So for the coaches, i guess the key here will be adjustment (and figuring out how to beat that zone.) For the players, they must really want to win pero hindi gigil. As the cliche goes - the team who will win will likely be the one to want it more, and score more points than the opponent. :)

Well, La Salle won convincingly 80 - 66 against FEU. Congratulations to Simon Atkins for his leadership and scoring inspite of injury. Also, to Oda Tampus for his hang time scoring.

Joescoundrel
08-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Simon Atkins showed RR Garcia and the rest of the Tamaraws what true leadership is all about, leading the season host Green Archers to a huge 80-66 victory over frontrunner FEU. Atkins simply went to his strengths using the staggered screens and quick hand-offs at the perimeter to nail jumper after jumper. FEU had as much as an eight-point lead in the third period before they imploded. Joseph Marata, Joel Tolentino and Almond Vosotros also contributed to the run that saw Lasalle go up by as much as 12 points going into the end-game.

With UE's meltdown against NU, Lasalle may have just completed the Final 4 cast with this big victory.

nel
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Simon Atkins showed RR Garcia and the rest of the Tamaraws what true leadership is all about, leading the season host Green Archers to a huge 80-66 victory over frontrunner FEU. Atkins simply went to his strengths using the staggered screens and quick hand-offs at the perimeter to nail jumper after jumper. FEU had as much as an eight-point lead in the third period before they imploded. Joseph Marata, Joel Tolentino and Almond Vosotros also contributed to the run that saw Lasalle go up by as much as 12 points going into the end-game.

With UE's meltdown against NU, Lasalle may have just completed the Final 4 cast with this big victory.

Joes, not so fast. UST still has a chance, as does NU. The team has to focus on winning each game, one game at a time. Nobody's going to hand us the last slot just like that. Last year, although NU was out of the running, they knocked us out of the playoffs. So nothing can be taken for granted. We still play UST, Adamson, and UE. Adamson is a tough matchup for us, UST has it all to play for, and the Warriors will want to take as many scalps as they can.

Joescoundrel
08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
^ Nel, I'd settle for you guys scalping the rebond king Lawrence Chongson... ;D

Still, with seven wins and three games to go, it looks like all you need is one more win to secure the Final 4 slot with eight wins.

UE is out of it since the most they can win is now six games, and that's assuming they beat you guys. Their defeat to NU deflated them and all your guys have to do is jump them and pummel them and not get entangled in any of Lucas Tagarda's shit.

If you win against UST and UE, even if (knock on wood) you lose to Adamson, that still gives you nine wins, which is the safe number for Final 4 this season.

nightowl
08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
The Green Archers win last saturday also prevents FEU from taking it easy in their remaining games. They still have to face Ateneo, so any loss before that final game could mean a total of 4 losses for them. They could still wind up tied for the second twice-to-beat, if and when that happens, while Ateneo could take first place.

That could be against the winner of the DLSU-AdU tussle.

The games on Thursday could also decide the final 4, if FEU beats NU in the first game, and La Salle downs UST in the second. La Salle and AdU could still end up with just 4 losses, and Ateneo could well end up with 4 losses too. So many possible combinations..............

nel
08-30-2010, 06:17 PM
^ Nel, I'd settle for you guys scalping the rebond king Lawrence Chongson... ;D

Still, with seven wins and three games to go, it looks like all you need is one more win to secure the Final 4 slot with eight wins.

UE is out of it since the most they can win is now six games, and that's assuming they beat you guys. Their defeat to NU deflated them and all your guys have to do is jump them and pummel them and not get entangled in any of Lucas Tagarda's shit.

If you win against UST and UE, even if (knock on wood) you lose to Adamson, that still gives you nine wins, which is the safe number for Final 4 this season.

Joe, I'd rather take it one game at a time, because that's the simplest way of resolving the potential scenarios. One win knocks out UST, and puts the pressure on NU to win all their games. Two wins brings us to 9, and locks out NU since they can only get to 8 wins. It's all within our control, so I hope the team is not taking anything or any team for granted. The only way to avoid complications is to do it all by ourselves. The other stuff will work its way out.

toti_mendiola
08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I caught the game against feu and i said to myself, the green archers can make it all the way. Solid ang sipag, disiplina at puso ng mga bata niyo. One game and i am already a fan of those young lads. Goodluck.

glock23
08-31-2010, 03:06 PM
I caught the game against feu and i said to myself, the green archers can make it all the way. Solid ang sipag, disiplina at puso ng mga bata niyo. One game and i am already a fan of those young lads. Goodluck.

Thanks Sir, much appreciated! No one seems to have given the Archers much credit this season...which by the way is fine by us. :) We'll see how far we can go by playing one game at a time.

salsa caballero
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
^ Pare, before the season sabi ko F4 kayo diba? Don't tell me you don't remember? :-)

glock23
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
^ Pare, before the season sabi ko F4 kayo diba? Don't tell me you don't remember? :-)

dude, you Jem and Joe are the exeptions :)

bigfreeze_bibby
09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
It is still a tough road ahead for the Archers in their remaining schedules for the 2nd round. Tomorrow it will be UST then on Saturday, it will be against UE. These two games I think will definitely make or break our case for our chances in the Final Four. Remember that today is finals week in DLSU the two sandwich games (with Friday as rest day) could be futile with the team practices.

I just do hope that the boys are ready for these two pressure packed games. NU is closely breathing out on our necks and FEU can help us out be beating them tomorrow in the first game para bawas na ng isang problema with teams trying to catch the Final Four bus.

shyboy
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
If FEU and DLSU wins tomorrow, lalarga na ang Final Four bus. ;D

Bruticus
09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Parang gatekeepers ang FEU at DLSU bukas as both try to shut the door on NU and UST.

car_kotse
09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I prefer NU to win over FEU tomorrow. And if DLSU win all its remaining games (10-4), they can tie the second placed team, either Ateneo or FEU (they will meet in the last playing day).

Joescoundrel
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I may as well ask the Season 73 hosts then: What happens in case of a three-way tie at the top (say FEU, Lasalle and Ateneo all wind up at 10-4), straight quotient or play off everything to death?

Glock, a lot of people thought I was delusional when I said Lasalle would at the very least dispute the Number 4 spot for the Final 4, if not make the Final 4 outright.

Iba si Dindo, he doesn't need "beterano" types the way Franz did, and has gotten the best out of the youngest roster in the UAAP.

jembengzon
09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Glock, good luck to you guys this pm. As i told you early on, you'll pull off some surprises. I respect the mental toughness and fortitude your team has, and that has shown through this season :)

salsa caballero
09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
+1 to Joe and Jem, Glock.

I have to agree that Dindo is proving quite astute at handling his youthful crew. I am not certain if Franz would have done as exemplary a job as his younger bro. Even when Dindo lost this year, you can see that he is not quick to pass the blame. He mans up and seems to genuinely care for his boys. He bounces back quickly, doesn't he?

GHRanger
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
DLSU enters the Final 4 with a win over UST and an NU defeat at the hands of FEU.
Animo!

bigfreeze_bibby
09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
I may as well ask the Season 73 hosts then: What happens in case of a three-way tie at the top (say FEU, Lasalle and Ateneo all wind up at 10-4), straight quotient or play off everything to death?

Glock, a lot of people thought I was delusional when I said Lasalle would at the very least dispute the Number 4 spot for the Final 4, if not make the Final 4 outright.

Iba si Dindo, he doesn't need "beterano" types the way Franz did, and has gotten the best out of the youngest roster in the UAAP.

Papa Joe, I will confirm this once again ah, pero right now, in case that scenario happens, the quotient will determine the number 1 team then the number 2 and number 3 teams via the quotient system will slug it out who will be number 2 and 3 (virtual best of three affair na ang mangyayari dyan).

bigfreeze_bibby
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
If FEU and DLSU wins tomorrow, lalarga na ang Final Four bus. ;D

At lumarga na nga siya pre hehe.

shyboy
09-02-2010, 10:23 PM
^Napaaga ang biyahe, may 2 games pa. Pero kahit paandar na, naglalabanan pa yung mga nakasakay kung sino uupo sa harap at kung sino sa likod ng bus. :D

bigfreeze_bibby
09-02-2010, 10:47 PM
After a one-year hiatus, the Green Archers are back in the Final Four

Joshua David “Spider” Webb’s best performance this elimination round came at the best possible time. As most people were noticing Joshua’s “dip” in playing performance this season, the man also known as “The Spider” delivered 14 points as he led the De La Salle University Green Archers to a 78-69 mastery of the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers.

With De La Salle’s win, it ended UST’s hopes of a chance in the fourth and final spot in the Final Four. In the first game, the FEU Tamaraws beat the NU Bulldogs, 77-62 to also close the Final Four door for the Bulldogs.

Webb scored 11 of his 14 points in the 2nd half helping the Green Archers stave off several Growling Tiger-runs.

He combined first with Ferdinand to help establish a 48-39 lead for La Salle with 1:54 left in the 3rd quarter just as the Growling Tigers were inching closer to the Archers at 43-39 with under 3 minutes to go still in the 3rd quarter.

As UST got close again at 50-46 towards the end of the 3rd quarter, Joshua converted a three-point play for his 7th and 8th points of the game as he gave La Salle a 53-46 lead entering the final period.

After Clark Bautista’s basket to cut the lead to five at 53-48, “The Spider” combined again this time with his De La Salle Zobel teammate and Green Archers team captain Simon Atkins on a 7-0 run to extend La Salle’s lead to double-digits at 60-48 which forced UST to call its last time out of the game at the 8:40 mark of the payoff period.

Joshua finally teamed up with Jovet Mendoza and Maui Villanueva on a 6-2 run to give La Salle its largest lead of the ballgame at 66-50 with 7 minutes to go in regulation.

But UST’s never say die attitude was very evident as Aljon Mariano (two triples), Jeric Teng, and Jeric Fortuna (one triple) combined forces with their hot shooting from the perimeter and taking advantage as well of La Salle’s turnovers and miscues as the Growling Tigers’ last hurrah cutting La Salle’s big lead to just six at 73-67 with 1:25 to go in the final quarter.

Joel Tolentino scored four points from the charity stripe while Atkins added one to mark La Salle’s final score in the ballgame. Jeric Teng scored off two charities for the final score of the Growling Tigers.

Simon Atkins’ performance in today’s game was also notable and steady as he also ended with 14 points, 4 assists, 2 steals with no turnover in 27 minutes of action (2nd most minutes played in the game behind Maui Villanueva’s 28).

Center Melo Afuang led UST with 19 points and 6 rebounds.

Even if the Final Four cast has been set, the battle for positioning in the playoffs is still very much alive for that coveted twice-to-beat advantage. There could even be a possibility of a triple tie at 10-4 or at the very least two teams will tie at 10-4 should FEU drop its next two games or Ateneo dropping one of their next two assignments.

La Salle and Adamson, on the other hand cannot afford to lose anymore to make a strong run for that twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four.

The images below will show the key statistics and box scores of the game as well as the updated team standings.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs160.ash2/41357_429323522998_579617998_4795432_5286582_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs300.snc4/41357_429323517998_579617998_4795431_6926991_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs320.snc4/41357_429323507998_579617998_4795430_3293389_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs300.snc4/41357_429323502998_579617998_4795429_6684289_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs320.snc4/41357_429323497998_579617998_4795428_8296269_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs624.snc4/58448_429323402998_579617998_4795427_4005835_n.jpg

bigfreeze_bibby
09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
^Napaaga ang biyahe, may 2 games pa. Pero kahit paandar na, naglalabanan pa yung mga nakasakay kung sino uupo sa harap at kung sino sa likod ng bus. :D

Sana makaupo tayo sa harap ng bus haha. But our fate depends on the outcome of other games na. Plus we should take care of business as well in our last two games.

Joescoundrel
09-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Is the Lasalle-Adamson game still a game with any bearing? Whatever happens both teams are either at 3 or 4 going into the Final 4 anyway right?

Kid Cubao
09-06-2010, 05:04 PM
tingin ko wala na, kung yang game na lang na yan ang pag-uusapan. however, it will be of interest for ateneo and FEU. dyan malalaman kung totoong laban o magiging practice session with a paying audience ang game nila sa sabado.

youngdude
09-06-2010, 05:13 PM
yup.. mjo wala nang bearing yun since whether we win or lose on thursday, di pa rin natin sure kng sino ang makakaharap natin sa final four kc sa sat pa ang game ng feu vs admu eh.. sila yung pwedeng pumili kung sino ang gsto nilang harapin sa final four..

Sir, I hope you won't mind me reminding you to avoid posting your thoughts here using text message-style language. Thank you.

bigfreeze_bibby
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Here are my personal thoughts on the remaining game of the Green Archers on Thursday against Adamson:

With Ateneo winning yesterday against UST, it basically shut down the door to Adamson and La Salle for a slight chance to get that coveted twice to beat advantage heading into the Final Four which will start on September 16, 2010 (next week Thursday).

All the talk now is directed on which match-ups should happen and which match-up can provide a tough fight for those teams with a twice to beat advantage particularly, FEU and Ateneo. This season, both FEU and Ateneo will be able to somewhat control their destiny since both of them will play on the last playing date of the eliminations on Saturday, September 11, 2010. Third and Fourth place-teams Adamson and La Salle on the other hand will play this coming Thursday, September 9, 2010.

In my own personal opinion, the Adamson-La Salle tussle on Thursday will be a no-bearing match already since both of them are already out of contention for the twice to beat advantage and they will not be able to choose their Final Four opponent since the top two teams in the team standings will still slug it out on Saturday. In short, Adamson and La Salle will not be able to have the “luxury” of picking who they want to face in the Final Four.

For a die-hard La Salle supporter, I am still hoping that the Green Archers will go for the win on Thursday so that they will enter the Final Four playoffs next week coming off from a win rather than from a loss which can hamper some of their momentum going into the playoffs. To be honest, the game on Thursday and next week’s Final Four game (still depending on who La Salle’s opponent will be) will determine the team’s character on pressure situations.

Why did I say this? I am just thinking that if we enter our Final Four game next week coming off from a win, the reaction can be to our advantage and to our disadvantage at the same time. If we enter our Final Four game coming off from a win, the players can be complacent and overconfident thus providing the team short of the “extras” that we need in order to win playoff games. Remember that in the playoffs, the plays and strategies will always be there but it is the “extras” that will matter the most. Extra energy, hustle, effort, and focus can be the determinants in winning a playoff game, further, the championship.

But a win against Adamson on Thursday can also provide an increase in the “extras” for the players coming into the playoffs. A high morale during the Final Four playoff game can help them bring in those “extras” and hopefully deliver the games that matter most this season for the team and for the school.

If we lose on Thursday to Adamson, it can also be a double-effect factor for the team. First, it can be detrimental for the young players’ self-confidence coming into the playoffs. The loss on Thursday can provide a domino effect on the Green Archers’ Final Four game performance as the players may carry those lack of “extras” in the Final Four game, thus contributing to our possible loss in the playoffs. Take note that we do not have a twice to beat advantage and every game will be critical for the Green Archers.

A loss on Thursday to Adamson can also provide that extra fire for the players so that they will bring their “A” game on their Final Four game next week Thursday. This is what we call a common cliché in sports that there is always this hunger to bounce back with a win coming off from the loss. The Green Archers have shown that they can come back big as what they have done to FEU in the 2nd round by inflicting FEU its worst loss this season by 11 points. But still the playoffs are a different arena right now for the young Green Archers and this is where the veterans can provide handy by being the conduit of the young players to acclimatize themselves in pressure-packed college basketball games.

If you will ask me, I like the scenario where La Salle will go for that win as a confidence booster heading into their Final Four contest. I believe our current crop of bench tacticians will be able to bring out the best of the team when it matters most in the Final Four. Nevertheless whether we win or lose on Thursday, the coaching staff and the players will have a work cut out for them in the Final Four because both FEU and Ateneo for sure will be tough customers for the Green Archers.

As for the desired match-up in the Final Four, in as much as I want to pick FEU since La Salle beat them by 11 points in the 2nd round of the eliminations; I will not dare make a pick between them. I believe the team is capable of beating both FEU and Ateneo, provided that the strategies will be properly executed by the players and the coaches will be agile enough to counter any strategies that will be put in place by our possible Final Four opponent.

As early as now, I like to wish the team all the best of luck in the Final Four and do what La Salle last did 13 years ago, which was to enter the championship round without a twice to beat advantage. The Green Archers did the feat back in 1997 when it dethroned defending champion UST. La Salle was seeded 3rd while UST was seeded 2nd after the Green Archers blew some chances towards the end of the elimination round to capture that twice to beat advantage in the Final Four.

The Green Archers won convincingly in the first game of the Final Four as it beat UST, 82-73 before finally dethroning the defending champions on the next game courtesy of Calijohn Orfrecio’s lucky bounce baseline jump shot, 74-72.

Apocrypha
09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
A DLSU win on Thursday, Sept. 9 means that adamson will have lost three straight games heading into the final four. I'm not too sure Coach Leo will want that to happen. My guess is that the falcons will go for the win. It will be up to the archers to match their desire.

glock23
09-06-2010, 11:55 PM
A DLSU win on Thursday, Sept. 9 means that adamson will have lost three straight games heading into the final four. I'm not too sure Coach Leo will want that to happen. My guess is that the falcons will go for the win. It will be up to the archers to match their desire.

I'm pretty sure too that we'll go for the win. Adamson is the only team we have not beaten this season and that is enough motivation for the boys to play hard. It's gonna be a good one.

BedanRoar
09-16-2010, 06:55 PM
A Great Season for Coach Dindo (Classmate). You reached the F4 when many were saying you can't! Watch out for the Green Archers in Season 74.

jembengzon
09-16-2010, 07:17 PM
congrats to the DLSU team for proving many naysayers wrong by "overachieving" and making the final four. personally, i think you played up to your potential and will be even better next year with a year's worth of quality playing experience under your belt. your team is definitely a force to contend with in years to come. :)

salsa caballero
09-16-2010, 09:37 PM
CongrAts for a great season lasalle. You did much better than the naysayers thought you could . A couple made ft's here and there and who knows what you guys coulda' achieved!

shyboy
09-16-2010, 10:12 PM
It's the end of the road for us this season. Congrats to FEU!

GHRanger
09-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Great game from both teams. Congratulations FEU and Good Luck!
Great season Archers! See you next year! Wala pang gagraduate sa inyo!

izon
09-17-2010, 08:54 AM
It's the end of the road for us this season. Congrats to FEU!

Balik jogging muna ako. Hanggang next year ulit. he he he

leon.guinto
09-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Great season for the Archers! Can't ask for more...

Joescoundrel
09-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Ferdie isn't graduating yet...?

glock23
09-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Sagot ko na ang diploma :)

bigfreeze_bibby
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
A lot of work to be done that's for sure. Let's start early to improve the team and come back strong in 10 months time.

Dark Knight
09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Great game. Ang hirap nyong talunin.

GHRanger
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Sagot ko na ang diploma :)

IMHO, Ferdie will have a tough time next year since DLSU has a practice of bringing everyone to team B and making everyone work for their team A slots again.
For the bigs -- eligible would be Torres, Van Opstal. in the roster would be Paredes, Andrada, Mendoza, Villanueva. Coach Dindo will have a pleasant problem of choosing the players and/or redefining their positions.

shyboy
09-20-2010, 02:06 PM
^ I have this feeling Ferdinand will forego his final eligibility year.

salsa caballero
09-20-2010, 02:37 PM
^ I hope not. Indonesian basketball will benefit with another year's honing. Besides, he can parlay a full five-year ride into a career with Satria Muda Britama of the ABL, not to mention the Indonesian national team. ONE MORE YEAR FERDINAND!!! Please.

glock23
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
^ I hope not. Indonesian basketball will benefit with another year's honing. Besides, he can parlay a full five-year ride into a career with Satria Muda Britama of the ABL, not to mention the Indonesian national team. ONE MORE YEAR FERDINAND!!! Please.

hahahaha! i think he knows when to call it quits! :)

salsa caballero
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
^Pare, he wants a shot at the championship again. Maybe he deserves it? I guess summer training camp will reveal if he gets another shot :-)

bebang
11-22-2010, 10:28 PM
where is joel tolentino?

nash_bedista
11-22-2010, 10:47 PM
^ there's some rumored that he transfer to CSB ..

izon
11-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Joel Tolentino is staying at La Salle. Source: AP.com.

youngdude
11-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Then where is he? why did he not play yesterday? ???

shyboy
11-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Then where is he? why did he not play yesterday? ???

He wants to catch up with studies and has asked to take a leave from the team.

archer987
04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
^Pare, he wants a shot at the championship again. Maybe he deserves it? I guess summer training camp will reveal if he gets another shot :-)

Let's get better recruits guys.. Ateneo just won a while ago with the help of ravena and slaughter.
Who do we have really?

GHRanger
04-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Let's get better recruits guys.. Ateneo just won a while ago with the help of ravena and slaughter.
Who do we have really?

Torres, Van Opstal, Sara, Gotladera, Vigil, Pate

jeronFAN
04-12-2011, 02:28 AM

Who do we have really?

while these recruits are great they still don't have the talent and skille of ravena.

oca
04-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Who do we have really?

while these recruits are great they still don't have the talent and skille of ravena.

Para bang sampu sang pera ang tulad ni Ravena...

But those guys can give up 30 fouls in 1 game which no phenom is capable of.

GHRanger
04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Para bang sampu sang pera ang tulad ni Ravena...

But those guys can give up 30 fouls in 1 game which no phenom is capable of.

Or run the break continously for 8 mins each player for the whole game.

JeronFan - ADMU has the UAAP Jr MVP and DLSU has the NCAA Jr MVP. Which recruit other than KR would you believe would be suitable for the Archers anyway?

JVboy
04-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Correct me if I am wrong.

Last year's UAAP juniors MVP was not KR but Kevin Ferrer, right?

Jeep
04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

that is correct. KF -- not KR -- was given the top individual award in the juniors division last year.

nel
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Who do we have really?

"Instant impact" players like Ravena and FEU's RR Garcia rare indeed. Most rookies take a year or two to become really productive. We'll be ok for the next few years with our current crop of players.

GHRanger
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM

that is correct. KF -- not KR -- was given the top individual award in the juniors division last year.

I stand corrected. :)

easter
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
A question that I have with the new emphasis of the Archers on height, how will this affect the pressing game? Of all the big men out there only Andrada it seems who has the speed and agility in a full court press.