PDA

View Full Version : March Madness 2010

yungha
03-19-2010, 01:06 AM
any projected 1st round upsets? what's your projected final four? national champ? mvp? will there be a cinderella this year?

i'll go with the safe choice, kansas. mvp - sherron collins. my darkhorse is duke and if they pull if off, kyle singler mvp.

more importantly, will there be telecast of the games on skycable? i've gone over the program sched of star sports and they don't have any 1st round games in their weekend lineup.

mighty_lion
03-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Singler is like a young Mike Miller.

Mel
03-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I read somewhere that this is probably the "weakest" tournament ever. With so many small schools from lesser known conferences. I guess it's safe to go with the four number one seeds and that includes Kentucky.

LION
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Go Kansas!!!

This could be the "weakest" indeed and there is no certified star player this year.

Mel
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
That John Wall kid could come out and solidify his #1 draft pick projection.

coreytaylor
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Old Dominion(11) upsets the Luke Harangody-led Notre Dame(6), 51-50, in the South Division.

Murray State(13) upsets the AJ Ogilvy-led Vandebilt(4), 66-65, in the West Division.

yungha
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
#3 georgetown goes down against #14 ohio in the midwest.

Outlander
03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Kentucky destroys East Tennessee State in the first round, 100-71. Probable #1 pick in the draft John Wall produces 17 points and 11 assists, while Bledsoe (29 points, 8 three pointers made), and Patterson (22 points) also contribute in a big way to their victory.

thadeus
03-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Go Kansas!!!

This could be the "weakest" indeed and there is no certified star player this year.

Spoke too soon. Goodbye Kansas, lost to UNI :) Surprisingly the tournament has become one of the most interesting with some double digit seeds surviving into the sweet 16. Villanova's out too after losing to St Mary's.

Outlander
03-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Goodbye to Kansas this year. The current team wasn't as strong as the 2008 team that won the NCAA championship, which had solid players in Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, Mario Chalmers, etc. who are currently playing in the NBA.

yungha
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
yup goodbye kansas, goodbye villanova. just saw ali farokhmanesh's dagger 3 vs kansas, ang pangit nung porma but man that guy's clutch. he also hit the game-winner vs. unlv in the 1st round.

with kansas out, kentucky's now the favorite to win it all. maybe john wall can pull off a carmelo anthony.

maroonmartian
03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
This year's NCAA tournament could have the record for the most number of upsets. :) Could someone list the "upsets" in this years tournament. Grabe! This is really MARCH MADNESS.

LION
03-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Go Kansas!!!

Spoke too soon. Goodbye Kansas, lost to UNI :) Surprisingly the tournament has become one of the most interesting with some double digit seeds surviving into the sweet 16. Villanova's out too after losing to St Mary's.

Hahahaha! Bilog talaga ang bola.

Outlander
03-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Evan Turner leads #2 Ohio St. over Georgia Tech, as his team wins 75-66. Turner scores 24 points, hoping to bring his team back to the Final Four, which last happened in 2007, thanks to Greg Oden, Mike Conley, and others.

pio_valenz
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
yungha, March Madness is being shown exclusively on BTV. In the meantime, go Cornell!! An Ivy League team in the Sweet Sixteen. I wonder when that last happened.

tigerman
03-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Is John Wall really the best collegiate player right now? How about Evan Turner?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Kid Cubao
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
yungha, March Madness is being shown exclusively on BTV. In the meantime, go Cornell!! An Ivy League team in the Sweet Sixteen. I wonder when that last happened.

kwento ng lolo ko, the highest an ivy league team ever reached in the NCAA tourney was the 1965 final 4, when princeton eventually lost to michigan. the princeton tigers were led by bill bradley, the wolverines by cazzie russell and former crispa import bill bunton.

pio_valenz
03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
^At 1979 pa pala ang alst time na may Ivy League school sa Sweet 16. Meanwhile, it looks like Mateen Cleaves is still celebrating Michigan State's buzzer-beater over Maryland. :D

yungha
03-22-2010, 06:16 PM

yup thanks. simple lang pala ang gagawin, just call skycable and order a digibox and you get btv on channel 71.

Outlander
03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
For those with Sky Cable Digibox, you can subscribe to the new sports channel being offered, All Sports Network (ASN) channel 158 to catch NHL, NFL and now NCAA basketball games live on television. We subscribed late last year, and it's definitely worth the extra cost ;)

Here is their schedule from their website, I was able to watch the Syracuse game earlier today: http://www.asn.tv/eng/scheduling2.php

Mateen Cleaves
03-23-2010, 12:30 AM
^At 1979 pa pala ang alst time na may Ivy League school sa Sweet 16. Meanwhile, it looks like Mateen Cleaves is still celebrating Michigan State's buzzer-beater over Maryland. :D

Bittersweet. Looks like Kalin Lucas is out for the year. With him, Northern Iowa would already have been a tough opponent. Without him, they'll be an even bigger handful for my Sparties.

BTW, 1979 was the last time that an Ivy League school -- U of Penn -- got not only to the Sweet 16, but all the way to the Final Four. The star of that team was Tony Price, father of A.J. Price, the Indiana Pacers second round draft pick in 2009. The team that beat Penn in 1979? Eventual champion, Michigan State with Earvin Johnson, Greg Kelser, and Jay Vincent. ;D

coreytaylor
03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm rooting for Ohio State to win the National Championship.

Mel
03-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Out na rin yung Syracuse

5 Butler 63
1 Syracuse 59
Final

Outlander
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
So the second #1 seed says goodbye to their tournament hopes, as Syracuse falls to Butler. Their top player, Wesley Johnson, is most likely declaring for the NBA draft this June.

coreytaylor
03-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Kansas State survived Xavier in 2OT and advances to The Elite Eight, thanks to 6'0 Jacob Pullen's back to back 3s in the 2nd OT. Pullen finished with 28pts to lead the 2nd seeded Kansas State Wildcats.

coreytaylor
03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Cole Aldrich should have joined the 2009 NBA Draft. He should have been a lottery pick before. With Kansas eliminated this early, I think his draft stock just went (pPpppppffffftttttt!) drastically deflated. ;D

kerouac82
03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Cornell got plastered! Argh!

Well, so much for my dream Xavier - St. Mary's matchup in the final game. At least Butler got through.

coreytaylor
03-27-2010, 08:44 AM
St. Mary's is getting pulverized by Baylor, 17-51, with 8:10 left in the 2nd half. Looks like Baylor's Ekpe Udoh is defending Omar Samhan very well.

coreytaylor
03-27-2010, 09:54 AM
#3 seed Baylor advances to The Elite Eight after dropping #10 seed St. Mary's, 72-49.

Goodbye Ohio State :'(

Outlander
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Evan Turner and Ohio St. lose to Tennessee 76-73. Turner scores 31 points in possibly his last college game, as he and John Wall are the top candidates to go #1 in the 2010 draft.

coreytaylor
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Butler eliminated Kansas St., 63-56, and became the first team to enter the Final Four. Bulldog main man Gordon Hayward led his team with 22pts & 9reb.

Outlander
03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Kentucky loses to West Virginia, 73-66. The top two prospects of Kentucky, Wall (19 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists/ turnovers, and 4 steals) and Cousins (15 points, 8 rebounds, 5 turnovers), are sure bets to declare for the NBA draft this June.

Mateen Cleaves
03-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Can't deny that I'm really, really happy to see Kentucky and, especially, Calipari get ousted. ;D

yungha
03-28-2010, 01:13 PM
^ at least calipari won't have to worry about another final 4 being stripped from the record book

Mel
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Duke all the way! Hehe.

yungha
03-29-2010, 10:03 AM
duke can be beaten, but now they can beat any of the other teams as well. when the tourney started i felt they were good enough to make it to indianapolis but not good enough to beat kansas or kentucky.

Jeep
03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
i'm in catarman, northern samar, on business. luckily the hotel has cable -- and BTV.

unluckily, brownouts are a dime a dozen in this neck of the woods these days. and even more unluckily, the lights go out in the last minute and a half of duke's hosting of baylor. the blue devils were up 8 when the plug got pulled. :(

in any event, lemme just say that that duke guard kyle singler has a bright future in the pros if he decides to follow fellow blue devil jj reddick in the NBA. like reddick, he may not have slick moves and sick dunks but coach k can rely on him in the clutch. ditto for nolan smith, who can dribble drive like nobody's business and is steady from the free throw line.

for baylor, i think they have a lot going for them. their african bigman udo is extremely talented as a wingman. reminds me of scottie pippen the way he attacks the basket down an open lane. their PG tweety carter is also someone to watch out for.

bchoter
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
anybody but duke

bchoter
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
duplicate post

BLUE HORSE
03-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Jeep, Singler is a twinner who is tall enough at 6' 8" to play pf but is playing the sf position since Duke has size this year. He has a nice handle, slash to the basket and can sink the 3 point shot. Against Baylor, he did not score from the outside. All his points came from the stripe. It was Smith and Scheyer who scored for Duke when they unloaded consecutive 3 point shots.

At Michigan, Udoh had the rookie record for the most number of blocks in a season. He transfered to Baylor after his sophomore year. The coaching staff at Baylor did wonders for his game according to the game analyst. While at Michigan, he was only a defensive stopper for Tommy Amaker and his points only came from put backs.

Duke will be very scary next season if Smith and Singler do not go hardship. Zoubek and Scheyer are the graduating seniors of any significance. Duke recruited the number 2 point guard in Kyrie Irving. They have a 6' 9" banger at power forward who is among the top 25 regardless of position. The replacement for Scheyer is already inhouse in the brother of former Davidson and current Golden State point guard Curry. The guy is a transfer from Liberty University where he led all the freshmen players in the nation last year in scoring. Duke broke with tradition when the number 1 recruit, Barnes, signed with UNC. Duke went out and signed one of the top juco small forwards.

Trivia: Smith's father is Derek Smith from Louisville. Louisville won their second NCAA championship when it was played in Indianapolis.

Mel
03-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Singler reminds me of Mike Dunleavy Jr.

coreytaylor
03-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Here's the All-America Team:

F - Evan Turner
F - Wes Johnson
C - DeMarcus Cousins
G - Scottie Reynolds
G - John Wall

Unlike last year, there are 2 freshman in the team.

coreytaylor
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Cole Aldrich declares for the NBA Draft. Kind of worried of Aldrich. His performance really dipped this year. But I still think he will be picked mid or late 1st round.

Mateen Cleaves
03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
anybody but duke

Sama ako diyan! ;D

salsa caballero
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Go Duke! Singler is from a Chicago area school, IIRC. Glenbard East ba, Bluehorse?

Kung hindi pwede Duke, sige na nga, Butler...para Hoosiers ang dating.

yungha
03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
^ nope, he's from oregon. his parents both played for oregon state and naturally there was great pressure for him to remain in-state. but to the great disappointment of osu he went cross country.

it's scheyer who's from illinois area. check out the youtube clip of him scoring something like 20 pts in just over 1 minute. in the preseason no one would have considered scheyer to be an nba prospect. now some draft boards have him going among the last few picks in the 2nd round.

salsa caballero
03-30-2010, 04:59 PM
^ thanks, yes, scheyer pala. confusing ang parehong "s". from the games i've seen, the guy is super heady with the ball. a very able guard with high hoops IQ. should make a nice NBA player. i would pay to watch him make some nifty passes to manu ginobili and tim duncan -- but i doubt if he will end up with a play-off bound team like the spurs. maybe he can help feed derrick rose the ball with the hometown bulls? :-)

BLUE HORSE
03-31-2010, 02:52 AM
Scheyer played for the same high school as Chris Collins at GlenBrook North high school in Northbrook/Northfield. Chris Collins was his personal recruiter. It broke the heart of the GBN coach Weber who was hoping he stayed in-state and played for his brother who happens to be the coach of Illinois. It came down to Duke and Illinois in the end.

salsa caballero
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
that's right, blue horse! how could i forget? weber was really counting chickens already considering that he needed continuity after the dee brown, luther head, (_________ utah jazz guard?) era already.

regards! hope you aren't too cold over there...

yungha
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
deron williams. sayang yung game na yun vs unc. that was a power-packed illini team that year. they didn't even make it to the dance this year, did they? san sila, NIT?

salsa caballero
03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Yup, NIT lang. :D

coreytaylor
04-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Butler goes to the National Championship! ;)

Up by only 1, 50-49, with 23 seconds left in the 2nd half, Bulter played great defense against MSU as Nored stole the ball and calmly sank 2 FTs. Lucious FTs last 3sec, converting the 1st one and intentionally missed the 2nd. Then time expires.

Final Score: Butler 52, MSU 50.

Mateen Cleaves
04-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Good game, Butler! Proud of my Spartans. But I'm now a fan of Butler. Tough defense. Shares and takes care of the ball. Gets the rebounds. Makes the free throws. Basketball as it should be played... Of course, that's also how MSU does it, except for the free throw part. :)

coreytaylor
04-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Duke's Big 3 (Scheyer, Singler, Smith) was too much for the Mountaineers. The trio combined for 63pts, & was 12/23 from the 3pt area.

Final score: West Virginia 57, Duke 78.

abcdef
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Butler goes to the National Championship! ;)

Up by only 1, 50-49, with 23 seconds left in the 2nd half, Bulter played great defense against MSU as Nored stole the ball and calmly sank 2 FTs. Lucious FTs last 3sec, converting the 1st one and intentionally missed the 2nd. Then time expires.

Final Score: Butler 52, MSU 50.

LIKE!!!!!!!

Mel
04-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Duke really shot the lights out yesterday. Would be very hard to duplicate that tomorrow. Law of averages.

salsa caballero
04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Kung hindi pwede Duke, sige na nga, Butler...para Hoosiers ang dating.

Wow. Dream come true for me...

yungha
04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
^ outside of the duke community, most everyone watching the game tom will root for the bulldogs. they've captured the basketball world's imagination. but take note, this team was ranked in the preseason top 10, going as high as top 5 in some polls, even ranked higher than duke. they're cinderella because they've never been to the final four before but make no mistake about it, they're a strong, balanced championship contender.

pero duke pa rin ako.

MayG
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
what time will it be shown on BTV tom? thanks

crazybedan
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
9am i think on BTV

Mel
04-06-2010, 07:01 AM
9:30 am

coreytaylor
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh boy, Duke's missing a lot of 3s. This isn't good.

Mel
04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
40 all

15:14 remaining

turning out to be a classic.

salsa caballero
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
go duke! ;D

coreytaylor
04-06-2010, 11:23 AM
3:16 remaining.

Duke 60, Butler 55.

coreytaylor
04-06-2010, 11:29 AM
49 sec remaining.

Duke 60, Butler 59.

It's going down the wire.

coreytaylor
04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
13.6 left.

Duke 60, Butler 59.

Butler ball.....last chance for Butler.....

coreytaylor
04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
DUKE! THE 2010 US NCAA CHAMPIONS! ;)

BLUE HORSE
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
anybody but duke

Sama ako diyan! ;D

Heh heh heh heh, Duke wins. Kudos to the coaching staff of Butler for giving the Blue Devils a hell of a game. Butler was well disciplined with their game plan and did not force their shots. Malaki lang talaga ang Duke as they impose their size in the second half.

Wait until next year when Duke is suppose to be loaded.

Mateen Cleaves
04-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Butler kept it close to give themselves a chance right to the end.

On Hayward's last attempt, it looked to me that they still had enough discipline and smarts to run a special situation play. After Zoubek missed (intentionally?), Hayward got the rebound then dribbled upcourt on the right wing. Howard then curled over and set a crunching back pick on the Duke defender (don't know who, basta puti). This gave Hayward a free lane to take a few steps before launching his shot, whichcamethisclose to making it! ;D

crazybedan
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
si Singler ung recepient nung bone crushing pick ni howard... ;D bagsak si dirk look a like eh hahaha

The_Big_Cat
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Duke was just too tall a team for Butler. Mismatch in every position. The Bulldogs kept the game close with its patented tough defense.

I was looking for the Singler-Hayward matchup but it didn't materialize as Hayward was assigned at the 4. I thought Butler would go for a bigger frontline; Howard-Jukes-Hayward to matchup with the Devils.

kerouac82
04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Duke was just too tall a team for Butler. Mismatch in every position. The Bulldogs kept the game close with its patented tough defense.

I was looking for the Singler-Hayward matchup but it didn't materialize as Hayward was assigned at the 4. I thought Butler would go for a bigger frontline; Howard-Jukes-Hayward to matchup with the Devils.

Butler was just playing its natural game; Duke was forced to play Butler's tempo. This game is going to be talked about for years after this.

salsa caballero
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
^ I agree. I hope the RP coaching staff can sit own and discuss this one day. We may pick up some tips from this game, especially as regards how to play bigger and bulkier teams. Hard-nosed defense really works wonders, as has been demonstrated. Namuntikan na si Coach K.

kerouac82
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
^ I agree. I hope the RP coaching staff can sit own and discuss this one day. We may pick up some tips from this game, especially as regards how to play bigger and bulkier teams. Hard-nosed defense really works wonders, as has been demonstrated. Namuntikan na si Coach K.

What I like about this Butler team is that they will only be graduating two seniors. Hayward will be a junior next year and Howard will be a senior. They will be poised to make another run like this year's.

yungha
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
the evil empire wins again! tama 2nd choice ko, kyle singler final 4 mvp.

but man butler was consistent all throughout. except for their first game and the final 4 vs michigan state, each game came down to the last possession, each margin of victory/defeat just 1 or 2 pts. but mack and hayward said it themselves in an interview, if the game came down to a final pivotal possession, they're more comfortable making a game-saving defensive stop than make a game winning basket. and when they had to make a game-winner in this game, they fell short by a few inches. pero tigas ni hayward, just a sophomore yet willing to take over in the clutch.

duke loses zoub, thomas, scheyer and maybe singler. but they get seth curry, kyrie irving, josh hairston, carrick felix and tyler thornton. if singler comes back, pre-season #1 baby!

coreytaylor
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Hayward wasn't aggressive in 1st half. Wasn't asking for the ball, wasn't looking for the ball, wasn't looking for his shots, & wasn't penetrating inside the paint. Not until the final 7 minutes or so in the game. I don't know if Duke was guarding him well or it's just Butler's game.

Mateen Cleaves
04-06-2010, 04:39 PM
the evil empire wins again! tama 2nd choice ko, kyle singler final 4 mvp.

The non-call on Zoubek was big. Could have been a foul for throwing down Howard on the rebound play near the end. Butler got a break when the ball went off Zoubek's foot. BUT had they called the foul, it would have been his 5th. That was huge because Zoubek's length ultimately forced Hayward into a tough fadeaway on their penultimate possession.

Still, the bottomline is that Butler had two good chances (the first being better than the second) to win it all at the end. They couldn't ask for anything better than having their best player take a pretty good shot both times. Sad that he couldn't convert. But that's basketball. That's what made this game fun... even for a Duke-hater like me. ;D

Mel
04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I heard that another Plumlee brother could be joining Duke next year.

BLUE HORSE
04-06-2010, 05:31 PM
The youngest Plumlee brother is only a junior in high school but he may be the tallest brother at 7'0. He has been shown on tv watching the game with his parents. Still a little raw but will not be surprise if he picks Duke. The father is a lawyer and understands the value of a good education, kaya nga he sent the boys to an Episcopalian boarding school.

Mateen Cleaves
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Here's an interesting thought. Considering that the brothers are originally from Indiana, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to picture Marshall Plumlee starting at center for... Butler University! ;D

Posterized
04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Hayward wasn't aggressive in 1st half. Wasn't asking for the ball, wasn't looking for the ball, wasn't looking for his shots, & wasn't penetrating inside the paint. Not until the final 7 minutes or so in the game. I don't know if Duke was guarding him well or it's just Butler's game.

Hayward got D'ed up by Singler!

Posterized
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
duke loses zoub, thomas, scheyer and maybe singler. but they get seth curry, kyrie irving, josh hairston, carrick felix and tyler thornton. if singler comes back, pre-season #1 baby!

Duke might be looking at an almost all-black starting 5. Haha this should be fun! UNC will get their ass whooped again next year.

Jeep
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
What I like about this Butler team is that they will only be graduating two seniors. Hayward will be a junior next year and Howard will be a senior. They will be poised to make another run like this year's.

the thing about US varsity, however, is that one never knows when or how some unheralded or lower-seeded school could make it all the way to the top and come so close to stunning the usual suspects like the blue devils and the tar heels. this sudden-death format assures that.

i can imagine the PCCL coming close to this in the years to come. baka uugod-ugod na akong manonood niyan, but it will come, given the right impetus.

oca
04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Bottom line, at the final buzzer, the team with the higher score wins. The defensive team may have limited the eventual winner to one of its lowest scoring game, but still the former would have to score better to win it outright. Victories are never achieved by limiting opponents to low outputs, you have to score higher.

Now, did Duke actually defended well against Butler's last 3 attempts?

Granting, assuming, they did, in the order of things, they had the lead. Meaning they had scored better up to that point.

So, is it really defense that wins championships?

coreytaylor
04-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Hayward got D'ed up by Singler!

What I also like about Singler is that he is terrific defender. He's tall and quick able to match up against the 6'8/6'9 Hayward.

yungha
04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
the thing about US varsity, however, is that one never knows when or how some unheralded or lower-seeded school could make it all the way to the top and come so close to stunning the usual suspects like the blue devils and the tar heels. this sudden-death format assures that.

another thing is that you don't always have the luxury of having players for 4 years, unlike here where even the best stay for 4 or 5 yrs. butler will be power-packed next year if intact but what if hayward leaves, and he said he's considering applying for the draft. for every success story of guys who came back for another yr like tyler hansbrough and florida'sfab 4, there's a horror story like desean butler, a sure nba millionaire until he blew his knee in his last collegiate game, taking him out of nba predraft camps and workouts.

Mateen Cleaves
04-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Bottom line, at the final buzzer, the team with the higher score wins. The defensive team may have limited the eventual winner to one of its lowest scoring game, but still the former would have to score better to win it outright. Victories are never achieved by limiting opponents to low outputs, you have to score higher.

Granting, assuming, they did, in the order of things, they had the lead. Meaning they had scored better up to that point.

My take. Tingin ko, yung mga teams na umaabot sa championship/elite level, pare-parehong marunong umi-score. That's probably more true as you go higher in level. Pagdating sa college, semi-pro, tapos pro, it seems to me that everybody can shoot. Kung walang bantay, all-star lahat. Tingnan mo na lang yung Hahn ng Butler. Bench player pero pumukol ng pang-NBA 3-points nung pinabayaan.

Iba-ibang style, but everybody can put up points. But not everybody plays defense.

When two good scoring teams meet, good defense can reduce the scoring accuracy and efficiency of the other team by making them take tougher, contested shots. Perhaps just as importantly, good defense can reduce the other team's shot (FG and FT) attempts in several ways. Forcing the offense to take shots deeper in the shot clock. Preventing shot attempts by forcing turnovers. Reducing second chance points by controlling the defensive boards. Etc. All things being equal, the extra possessions and shot attempts that your defense gives you is probably going to be the difference between winning and "almost winning".

I suspect that if you did an analysis of the champions and separated them into "good offense/poor defense", "poor O/good D", and "good at both", the smallest group by far would be the first one. If anything, Butler and Duke both demonstrated something that defense-oriented coaches love to say. Offense comes and goes but defense is the constant. Even if your offense goes sour, good defense will always keep you in the game (and give you a chance to win).

If your question is interpreted as "Defense ALONE wins championships", sablay nga. But the opposite -- "Scoring ALONE wins championships" -- is equally flawed. Perhaps even more so.

salsa caballero
04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
In the final analysis, Duke had to win. It was preordained. A butler will always bow down to his duke. Am gloating ;D

Kid Cubao
04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
the thing is, both duke and butler played excellent defense. neither side gave an inch. but in the final analysis, the team with the higher score wins. you've got to score when you have the ball, because if you don't, there's no telling whether you're going to make a stop on the other end. all things being equal, a good offense should always be able to score or get fouled, especially an offense that has enough options and counters and freedom of movement to eliminate any possibility of the defense or an attacking player himself knowing exactly what each is going to do. it's when an offense becomes too mechanical or fundamentally flawed that the defense will make short work of it.

in the end, though, it's a matter of philosophy. some will pick defense, others offense. i will always pick offense because shooting is the most natural part of the game. the most important basketball fundamentals flow from the skill sets required in shooting.

yungha
04-07-2010, 11:29 PM
duke returns to durham

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/7368114/

Daily Show sums up the nation's reaction

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blog/5192119/#blogpost_id_7374004

"Look at Duke, look at the lineup. They look like the kids from 'Glee', come on!"

"Nobody, nobody, is happy for Duke."

"When a bunch of kids from basketball-crazy Indiana loses to a team whose best player was recently bar-mitzvah'd, that's not david losing to goliath..."

Jaco D
04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
The irony of it all was that March Madness 2010 was supposed to be one of the more "ho-hum" incarnations since walang "bright star(s)" unlike previous years, yet the final game was one of the tightest NCAA finals ever played.

Bilog talaga ang bola.

oca
04-09-2010, 07:47 AM

My take. Tingin ko, yung mga teams na umaabot sa championship/elite level, pare-parehong marunong umi-score. That's probably more true as you go higher in level. Pagdating sa college, semi-pro, tapos pro, it seems to me that everybody can shoot. Kung walang bantay, all-star lahat. Tingnan mo na lang yung Hahn ng Butler. Bench player pero pumukol ng pang-NBA 3-points nung pinabayaan.

Iba-ibang style, but everybody can put up points. But not everybody plays defense.

When two good scoring teams meet, good defense can reduce the scoring accuracy and efficiency of the other team by making them take tougher, contested shots. Perhaps just as importantly, good defense can reduce the other team's shot (FG and FT) attempts in several ways. Forcing the offense to take shots deeper in the shot clock. Preventing shot attempts by forcing turnovers. Reducing second chance points by controlling the defensive boards. Etc. All things being equal, the extra possessions and shot attempts that your defense gives you is probably going to be the difference between winning and "almost winning".

I suspect that if you did an analysis of the champions and separated them into "good offense/poor defense", "poor O/good D", and "good at both", the smallest group by far would be the first one. If anything, Butler and Duke both demonstrated something that defense-oriented coaches love to say. Offense comes and goes but defense is the constant. Even if your offense goes sour, good defense will always keep you in the game (and give you a chance to win).

If your question is interpreted as "Defense ALONE wins championships", sablay nga. But the opposite -- "Scoring ALONE wins championships" -- is equally flawed. Perhaps even more so.

If one can collate stats of championship series or games at Jrs/ Srs/ semi-pro and pro levels, it would be a good tool to validate arguments. I would go back to the 80's when this mantra on defense first came about. Locally, I think it was Tommy Manotoc who was quoted first on this one when he said, something like, defense doesn't have an off night. ( But still I argue that it was not appropriate in that U-tex- Toyota champiosnhip series. U-tex can play two imports at the same time and both can score, and they had Lim Eng Beng and Adornado, who if I recall it right were two of the best point makers the league ever had. Pero OT na tayo dito.)

Summa total para sa akin, the game is played at both ends of the court, but the better offensive team will win 8/10, 7 at least. Kung di nga lang bilog ang bola, 10/10 pa! ;)

LION
04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
^ Sometimes defense is over rated. If a team loses a game, credit often goes to the "defense" of the winning team. But looking at another angle, it's just a case of the losing team's offense going south, but not necessarily because of the defense of the winning team.

In other words, malas lang talaga at hindi pumapasok yung mga tira. ;D

KingRedLion
04-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Kudos to the Butler players but also big props to the coaching staff. Brad Stevens in just his 3rd year as head coach, 33yrs young, and the wealth of experience gained already from this year's tourney, and his bound to get much better!

Imagine had Butler just had someone, maybe just even one of these in their roster, like an Evan Turner, John Wall, Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins....scary right? ;)

Basketball is fun and entertaining, watching great individuals perform, but it will always be a team game.

yungha
04-20-2010, 03:58 PM
preseason #1 baby!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/04/19/singler.duke.ap/index.html

Mel
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
John Scheyer is with the Miami Heat's Summer league roster....a possible backup for Mario Chalmers? LOL. he is listed at 6-5?