PDA

View Full Version : Chino Trinidad's Resignation

gameface_one
03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Got this from the mail:

PBL officials express shock over Trinidad’s ‘resignation’

Officials and representatives of the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) yesterday had mixed reactions but most expressed disbelief over the reported resignation of Commissioner Chino Trinidad.

“I don’t think Chino will do it, he might just be tired,” said Toyota Otis board representative Gil Angeles. “Unless I see him and he says it in front of me that he’s resigning then that’s the time that I will believe.”

“Besides, the board has yet to receive a letter informing us about his supposed resignation. For now, we just have to wait for him to arrive before we can act on this matter,” said Angeles noting Trinidad might be tired emotionally since he’s been away from his family for almost a month now.

Trinidad, who has been at the helm of the league since 2000, is in Los Angeles covering the training of boxing icon Manny Pacquiao for his mega fight against Joshua Clottey at the Cowboys Stadium in Dallas on Saturday (Sunday Manila time).

Even PBL chairman emeritus Raymund Yu of Welcoat Paints and last year’s chairman Mikee Romero of Harbour Centre franchise were also caught by surprise.

Romero and Yu said they will try to talk to Trinidad when the 41-year-old PBL executive returns from his coverage.

“If it is true then the league will lose a great leader. But no matter what happens next, the league must go on, the show must go on,” said Yu.

Romero, who owns a record seven straight championships but whose franchise took a leave of absence this conference, echoed Yu’s sentiment.

“I was surprised to read it in the papers. I know his passion for sports, especially for basketball. But I will still try to talk to him,” said Romero. “He spent 10 good years of his life in the PBL, so maybe we can still do about it.”

PBL Executive Director Butch Maniego, however, already had an inkling that Trinidad is just biding his time before stepping down.

“He already broached the idea of resigning when the opening of this tournament was postponed for the third time,” said Maniego. “But I had always hoped he would reconsider.”

Excelroof team manager Oliver Gianan was also surprised, saying: “We joined the league through the prodding of Mr. Trinidad because we have the same vision for basketball.”

lurkinggood
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
balak yatang mag-TNT ni Chino sa States... ;D

bops
03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
By all means, let him go.

Sam Miguel
03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
He should have resigned last conference when the PBL could only muster five teams. The nerve of this man, actually abandoning his job and then supposedly wanting to "move on."

In the 10 years or so he was Commissioner, the PBL ebbed high and low, but the last two years have not been kind to the league, and this should be laid squarely at the foot of Chino Trinidad.

After a five-team conference, instead of trying to find ways to make the PBL viable, he up and leaves to cover Manny Pacquiao in the US. That just goes to show how low he regards the PBL now. This was a three-team league up to about three weeks before this latest conference opened. I believe it was Chairman Ding Camua and the other Board Members who moved heaven and earth to make it the eight-team league it is now.

This was a matter of the highest import - the very survival of the PBL was at stake. What did Trinidad do? He went off to join the other sycophants in the Pacquiao posse, and of course all on GMA 7's expense account.

The fruit truly does not fall far from the bloody tree.

Sam Miguel
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
From Inquirer Sports - - -

Trinidad gives up key PBL post

By June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Basketball League will have a new commissioner in the next conference.

League commissioner Chino Trinidad confirmed on Monday that he is giving up the position at the end of the ongoing 2010 PBL PG Flex-Erase Placenta Cup.

“To be quite honest about it, I lost my passion for the game and you can quote me on that,” Trinidad said in a Facebook message he posted for a reporter. “Basketball is in bad shape.

“It’s been 10 years and I feel I have given myself to the PBL enough. I will miss the PBL but we both have to move on.”

Trinidad, who is in Los Angeles for GMA 7’s coverage of Manny Pacquiao’s buildup for his WBO welterweight title defense against Ghanaian Joshua Clottey, said he will focus on broadcasting and help promote professional Filipino boxers.

“When I came here (Los Angeles), it’s a sign that my days as PBL commissioner has finally come to an end,” said Trinidad.

He added that the PBL board already had an inkling that he would step down.

“I would like to bring my passion and energy to a sport that makes us all proud to be Pinoys—boxing,” Trinidad said. “I would love to participate in making sure our tradition of boxing excellence doesn’t end upon Pacquiao’s retirement.

“I will create a position or a role for myself, but I will participate actively in our pro boxers’ discovery and training here in the US.”

Trinidad said he had asked the board to keep Butch Maniego since his deputy has a lot of valuable inputs to improve the league.

Sam Miguel
03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
^^^

Wow.

So not only did he abandon the PBL, he actually had another gig going when he jumped ship. I wonder what Trinidad will do when this new "passion" of his flops? Hopefully he will never be allowed back to the PBL.

Such sterling professionalism and unparallelled gentlemanly conduct indeed.

If I were the PBL I would reward either Tommy Ong or Butch Maniego and make one of them the new Commissioner.

franz_inwurdz
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
In the end, mas masayang maging groupie ni Manny kesa Commissioner ng PBL. :D

LION
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM
In the end, mas masayang maging groupie ni Manny kesa Commissioner ng PBL. :D

Kayo naman. Siyempre he gets more publicity in boxing compared to the PBL. ;D

It was a career decision, plain and simple. That's why he will "focus on broadcasting and help promote professional Filipino boxers." ::) Take note, he will "help promote professional Filipino boxers". (Repeat 10x)

Hindi siya kikita diyan. ;D

james_ty
03-10-2010, 12:48 PM
^^^

Wow.

So not only did he abandon the PBL, he actually had another gig going when he jumped ship. I wonder what Trinidad will do when this new "passion" of his flops? Hopefully he will never be allowed back to the PBL.

Such sterling professionalism and unparallelled gentlemanly conduct indeed.

If I were the PBL I would reward either Tommy Ong or Butch Maniego and make one of them the new Commissioner.

Tommy Ong has been with the PBL for many years, first as a team manager for Hapee and now, as a deputy commisisoner. I believe he should be the next PBL commissioner.

Butch Maniego's health could be a concern for him if he becomes commissioner. Remember, Maniego is a diabetic.

KingRedLion
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Ang pag-alis ni Chino "Pacman Fanboy Groupie" Trinidad sa PBL ay hindi kawalan. Matagal na niya itong dapat ginawa. Ito ay isang welcome development para makausad na ulit ng maayos at mabuti ang liga.

paul0220
03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
He should have resigned last conference when the PBL could only muster five teams. The nerve of this man, actually abandoning his job and then supposedly wanting to "move on."

In the 10 years or so he was Commissioner, the PBL ebbed high and low, but the last two years have not been kind to the league, and this should be laid squarely at the foot of Chino Trinidad.

After a five-team conference, instead of trying to find ways to make the PBL viable, he up and leaves to cover Manny Pacquiao in the US. That just goes to show how low he regards the PBL now. This was a three-team league up to about three weeks before this latest conference opened. I believe it was Chairman Ding Camua and the other Board Members who moved heaven and earth to make it the eight-team league it is now.

This was a matter of the highest import - the very survival of the PBL was at stake. What did Trinidad do? He went off to join the other sycophants in the Pacquiao posse, and of course all on GMA 7's expense account.

The fruit truly does not fall far from the bloody tree.
We should give the guy a break.. he is just trying to make a living..perhaps the PBL can't pay him enough to support his needs.. he has given the league a big boost the last 10 years.. so let's give others the chance to show their wares like Butch Maniego..instead of thanking Chino for keeping the PBL afloat even with the difficult times we give him criticisms.. get the guy a break..

i-point
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Good riddance

Richard
03-10-2010, 11:07 PM
if were to him, chino should focus now on boxing and hosting career especially on sports concerns on GMA 7 then he should leave PBL for sure cause it will be a heavier responsibility for him taking PBL and Boxing Analyst and supporting Pacquiao at the same time chino its been a decade already that he sitted as a commisioner we should give chance to others the likes of maniego, tommy ong etc...

that my only opinion....

bchoter
03-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Sam don't forget that he once abandoned his post during the PBL finals serie be a Paquiao groupie. I don't know which is worse, living his post in during his league's finals series or him doing the "analysis" of the Paquiao fight.

Mag nurse ka nalang Chino, para masundan mo sa US si Manny

duphaR007
03-13-2010, 12:58 AM
well its about time. i think he prefers to be a groupie and a terrible commentator

dexter
03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Chino may have a change of heart when he gets back next week. To date he has not submitted a formal letter of resignation to the PBL Board. I hope this story ends with a happy note for Philippine basketball.

oberto
03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
What should be a happy note?

What is a happy note?

Happy note?

pepman
03-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Buti nga insip nya magresign. Magulo kaya ang PBL bago mangyari ang latest conference. Inakupow!

Sam Miguel
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Apparently th PBL Board has not yet officially accepted the so-called resignation of Chino Trinidad. They still have to convene and then meet collectively with Trinidad and talk about what they will now do with the PBL. We may not see all eight of the teams we now have in this conference in the next conference, and frankly the next conference is iffy for this summer given the Fr Martin Cup and the Fil Oil Flying V summer tournament. All of the main players of the UAAP and NCAA teams will be seeing action in either of the school-based off-season tournaments. Who will be left to play for the PBL?

Among the big names who made a splash in this ongoing PBL conference, only a few will not be playing for their varsity teams in the summer tournaments. Stars like John Wilson, Vic Manuel, Alain Maliksi, Patrick Cabahug, Jimbo Aquino, JR Taganas, Neil Pascual, and Bam Gamalinda, are no longer on varsity duty and could see action should a PBL summer conference happen. But for sure the varsity-backed teams like ANI FCA, Cossack Blue, Pharex B, Add Mix and Excel Roof will no longer have enough personnel to form competitive enough lineups.

That would leave Ascof, Cobra and FERN C. The league would need at least two more teams to make a good enough conference. There will be some players available, but will they have teams to join? Cobra will have to do without superstar Paul Lee, a burden that may be too much to bear even with their star-studded and veteran lineup. FERN C and Ascof might have still-intact lineups, but they remain iffy.

Sam Miguel
03-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Just a few of the players who may be available for PBL summer tournament duty if the varsity-backed squads disband:

Chester Taylor and Eric Sugitan of Excel Roof

Vic Manuel, Ford Arao, JR Tecson and Marlon Adolfo of Pharex B

Alain Maliksi and Gio Ciriacruz of Add Mix

Neil Pascual, James Sena, Mark Cagoco and Christian Luanzon of ANI FCA

Jun Morillo, JR Taganas and Billy Afable of Cossack Blue

I am not fully certain if Argel Mendoza (Excel) and Claude Cubo (Add Mix) of EAC still have NCAA eligibility left.

james_ty
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Trinidad officially announced his retirement today at the PSA forum. He met with the PBL board yesterday and he asked the board to allow Butch Maniego to remain as interim commissioner until a successor is found.

james_ty
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Just a few of the players who may be available for PBL summer tournament duty if the varsity-backed squads disband:

Chester Taylor and Eric Sugitan of Excel Roof

Vic Manuel, Ford Arao, JR Tecson and Marlon Adolfo of Pharex B

Alain Maliksi and Gio Ciriacruz of Add Mix

Neil Pascual, James Sena, Mark Cagoco and Christian Luanzon of ANI FCA

Jun Morillo, JR Taganas and Billy Afable of Cossack Blue

I am not fully certain if Argel Mendoza (Excel) and Claude Cubo (Add Mix) of EAC still have NCAA eligibility left.

Mendoza and Cubo will still play for EAC in this upcoming NCAA season. The Generals were accepted as a probationary member.

franz_inwurdz
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
So it's final? Pano yan, Manny Pacquiao seems to be retiring. What will happen to Chino Trinidad 2 years from now?

Babalik kaya sya?

KingRedLion
03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
So it's final? Pano yan, Manny Pacquiao seems to be retiring. What will happen to Chino Trinidad 2 years from now?

Babalik kaya sya?

Isang Babalikan
Isang Iiwanan
May isang luluha sa 'king pag-ibig! ;D

WAG NA! Thanks, but no thanks! >:(

Sam Miguel
03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
If Butch Maniego's health will not allow him to stay on as a fulltime commissioner then it should be Tommy Ong. These two men have been keeping the league alive in the absence of Chino Trinidad.

Mel
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
http://twitter.com/chino3nidad/status/14199729083

maroonmartian
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
^ Naka ALL CAPS pa. Chino, do you plan to apply as Manny Pacquiao's aide. Sige lang. ;D

Pagkakaalam ko naman, may course na pinapakuha ang House of Representative sa mga new legislator.