PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao-Clottey fight thread

yungha
02-12-2010, 04:24 PM
i know i said it before that this is a cherrypicking fight for pac, that arum chose this fight because pac fights his best vs brawler type fighters who keep going forward. yes i still think pac will win, there's no way clottey's active enough to win a decision, nor possess the power to KO pac.

but man clottey is HUGE! check out clips of the cotto-clottey fight and he's bigger than cotto. cotto was bigger than manny, clottey's bigger than cotto. come fight night, pac will come in at his usual 146-148 while clottey will come in around 160. that's a huge difference. plus he's known to have a granite chin.

that's why he's the best fighter of this era, he's not afraid to fight the biggest and the best. unlike some fighters out there (cough)mayweather(cough)

yungha
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
"This is the problem. I've been a Welterweight for 16 good years. If you look at me from my head to my toe - my legs, my body, are all big. So sometimes I have to train hard to make the weight. So when you stay at the same weight for too long your knockout percentage comes down. I trained too much for the Welterweight division because that's where (the best opponents are). It's not that I lack stamina."

Joshua Clottey, January 2010

what a thing for a fighter to say weeks before his fight. why expose your weakness?

Schortsanitis
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
As part of the promotion for this fight with Clottey, Manny appears for the second time on "Jimmy Kimmel Live":

* Manny's Second Apperance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxrLVeJ4uSc

* Manny's Second Apperance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqkZWBcN0Lo

* Manny's Singing "Nothings Gonna Change My Love For You" on "Jimmy Kimmel Live"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_KHEFWtLlQ

Schortsanitis
03-06-2010, 01:41 PM
HBO has finally started releasing the primers for the Pacquiao-Clottey fight on Youtube:

* Pacquiao-Clottey: The Event
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KURzgN6vpE

* Pacquiao-Clottey: Joshua Clottey
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slrLqg1UsFs

theunderdog
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
clottewy is one-dimensional. his offense is easy to defend against because he basically does the same thing everytime. wha he has going against him, as you've pointed out is his size and that he can take punishment well.

however, in his few fights above 135, size has never been used against pac. he has faced hatton, goldie, and cotto but none of them tried to dirty it up against pac. so they ended up getting ko'd.

what clottey should do is use his size to throw pac around the ring. push him, shove him, pull his head down, use his elbows and shoulders to hit him.

if he just stands out there and hoped he'll land a punch that would knock pac out, then he'll be in for a long night.

The_Big_Cat
03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
It was a one-sided affair in favor of Manny after 12 rounds.

Clottey had his two hands in front of his face in the entire match which unfortunately for him took out his offense. He was afraid to attack Pacquiao as this would enable to open up his defense.

Parang ang ratio is every 10 punches Pacquiao unleashes Clottey would only able to retaliate with just one punch.

There was a point in Round 4 I think na napikon si Manny dahil ayaw talaga tanggalin ni Clottey ang mga kamay niya. Nag ala FPJ si Manny hitting both ears of Clottey. ;D The ref offcourse warned Pacquiao with that move. That was the most funniest and hilarious move I've seen in boxing. ;D

KingRedLion
03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Best exchange... Trainer: "You've gotta take a chance!" Clottey: "Nah."

;D

Kid Cubao
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
easily the most lopsided unanimous decision i've seen since larry holmes pounded randall "tex" cobb for 15 rounds. proof positive that clottey had no intention to mix it up with manny for fear of opening up his shell defense. as one writer said, it was basically a case of pacquiao being brilliant and clottey being reluctant.

pio_valenz
03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
What a big upset in Dallas! The Knicks beat the Mavericks by 34! This was the upset Clottey was referring to!

coreytaylor
03-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Clottey = The Black Punching Bag

yungha
03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
choker. biggest stage, biggest fight of his career, and clottey choked. from the opening tip, he was fighting scared.

i understand the odds were something like 12-1 that the fight would go the distance. maybe joshua bet his entire $1.2M purse on that. either case, he better take care of that money because he won't be getting 7-figure paydays again.

MonL
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Clottey can thank Mayweather for that golden parachute of a match with Pac. Forgot to be a warrior nor a sweet scientist. Just a disgrace. And a dumbass for failing to take advantage of a rare shot at greatness.

yungha
03-14-2010, 10:02 PM
^ ang nakakaasar diyan, in the next few days clottey will be interviewed and he'll be saying stuff like pacquiao doesn't hit that hard or his punches never hurt me.

Schortsanitis
03-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Joshua Clottey is a disgrace to all Ghanians. That moron didn't even try to win, he just was targeting not to get knocked out. He did succeed, though, but it turned into an awfully boring fight.

For me, this shows that Clottey does not deserve to be mentioned as among the best fighters of today in his weight class. He's just another showboating loser. That moron won't probably be able to sell another HBO fight again.

Despite all his effort not to get knocked out, though, he still was nearly knocked out at the end of the 11th round. This was shown in his corner, where they were trying to wake him up, even putting cold water down his trunks.

mighty_lion
03-14-2010, 11:07 PM
At least we have a glimpse of how difficult it will be for Manny to attack someone like Mayweather. One way or another its like Manny went against a Mayweather clone without offense.

Boring fight though.

Pacman doing a signature Fernando Poe pompyang with boxing gloves on. ;D ;D

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/mighty_lion/CBS14303140523.jpg

yungha
03-14-2010, 11:45 PM
^ bawal ba yun? why was he warned for doing that?

fujima04
03-15-2010, 12:02 AM
May pinananalo naman palang round si Clottey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-scorecard031310&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

bluebruiser90
03-15-2010, 02:17 AM
^^Paranag hindi bawal na sumuntok ng dalawang kamay na sabay, tingin ko yung open gloves ang bawal.

oca
03-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Dalawang beses ako nakatulog....

Una, habang nakikinig sa radio.

Ikalawa, nang pinanood ko sa tv.

Kid Cubao
03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
clottey's got some nerve for claiming that pacquiao did not hurt him at all. if that's the case, then why oh why did he not even try to trade blows with manny when he's the bigger and physically more imposing "fighter?" was he spooked by pacquiao's speed and power up close?

i suggest that he should retire, pack his bags and leave his digs in the bronx, and head home to accra and enjoy his rainmaker pay from this bout.

mighty_lion
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
No idea. Baka nabigla lang ang referee at first time nya makakita ng ganung suntok. ;D

easter
03-16-2010, 07:36 AM
This fight just made me reminisce on how courageous Erik Morales is when he fought Pacquiao three times. I mean those were absolute wars, Morales never showed fear inspite of Pacquiao's onslaught. Come to think of it, the fighters who most feared Pacquiao were in the higher divisions. Delahoya quit on his stool, Cotto danced around, Clottey fought with a blanket and of course Mayweather was just all talk.

The last man who actually showed no fear to Pacquiao was Hatton. And we all now what happened to the guy.

Kid Cubao
03-16-2010, 08:26 AM
in a recent interview, pacquiao cited miguel cotto and erik morales as the two heaviest punchers he's ever fought.

after reviewing the fight highlights on youtube, i have a suspicion that clottey retreated deep into his shell after pacquiao nailed him with a right hook in the 2nd round, the one that momentarily staggered the ghanian contender. after that, he must have realized that he would go down if he would match manny's aggression with his own aggression. which is a shame, because he's bigger, stronger, and supposedly has vaster experience fighting at the welterweight and light-middleweight divisions. what's equally shameful is that he hardly won any round against a naturally smaller guy.

thai food rules ;D

Bennie Bangag
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
with the way he fought (or did not fight) manny pacquiao, joshua clottey is delighted to learn that glue companies are beating a path to his door seeking his endorsement ;D

razor
03-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Pacquio-Clottey fight generates 700,000 PPV buys:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5022192

Not bad for a one-man show.

yungha
03-24-2010, 12:07 PM
yup not bad. i was expecting 500-600k. mosley-mayweather though will surely draw over 1M.

if only the fight were offered exclusively on ppv in the philippines, each pac fight would draw over 1M. sa pilipinas pa lang siguro close to 1M na.