PDA

View Full Version : PBL Season 2010????

3pt_play
12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Whats going on with the PBL 2010 season? When will it start and who are the teams? Also please update the PBL web site with the latest and up to date news.

3pt_play
12-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Any rumors at all about 2010 PBL season opening? Why everyone is so quiet? Is the season dead?

james_ty
12-26-2009, 01:46 PM
As far as I know, the PBL will tentatively open on January 16, 2010.

Five teams are competing -- Magnolia, Cobra, Pharex, San Sebastian-Excelroof and Adamson-Phoenix Petroleum.

Harbour Centre and Hapee Toothpaste have filed for a leave of absence.

More developments will happen after the New Year.

3pt_play
12-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks TY, but how come the PBL management is not putting any announcements about it? I've been hearing more rumors that Magnolia and Cobra backed out for whatever reasons. So please PBL mgt say something about the league 2010 season. How about you Full Battle Gear, do you have anything to add to this topic? Or anyone out there speak up.

james_ty
12-27-2009, 10:57 AM
The problem with the PBL, I feel, is that Commissioner Chino Trinidad has been more focused on his job as GMA TV reporter and Solar boxing commentator. Much of the office work is being done by Butch Maniego, who is the league's executive director, but he can only do so much because of his diabetic condition.

In addition, Harbour Centre went on leave of absence because its owner Mikee Romero is more into his ABL team.

The PBL moved to a new office space near Trinidad's home in Mandaluyong because the league has no more funds to continue paying the rent at the Tektite Towers, where it used to hold office.

Another problem is TV coverage. The games are shown more on cable after the league terminated its partnership with Studio 23 because of Trinidad's closeness to Solar.

With just five teams, how can the PBL be competitive?

3pt_play
12-31-2009, 06:34 PM
A lot of good inside information TY but I cant believe na pababayaan ni Chino T ang PBL since this is his organization and will definitely reflect on his leadership if he can not save this season. Some argue that it all depends on the team owners but its still Chino's leadership and management skills that is at stake. I know that Chino can solve the problem if he wants to. If the age limit is of concern then do something about it. If owners want the age limit to be 27 then let the other team knows ang have a concensus. The important thing is "Save the PBL". Dont let the elders feel that all what they started is for nothing. What would Big J, Adornado, Papa, Atoy Co, Guidaben and all those great ammateurs would say. Come on Chino, ACT NOW!!!!

pepman
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
We need a new commissioner, someone like Guiao. And please accept teams like Pop Cola, etc.

3pt_play
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Finally, The Comiss was in the news, he said they are having a dialogue with SBP about the possibility of PBL-Liga Pilipinas merger and the PBL could very well may start sometime middle of February with or without the merger. Lets cross our fingers and hope that PBL will start soon.

McCoy
01-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Finally, The Comiss was in the news, he said they are having a dialogue with SBP about the possibility of PBL-Liga Pilipinas merger and the PBL could very well may start sometime middle of February with or without the merger. Lets cross our fingers and hope that PBL will start soon.

merge's with Liga? kya nga lumamya ang PBL dahil sa age limit na in-apply ni commissioner, na naging daan pra umangat ang Liga! now makipag-merge sa Liga kung saan napunta yun mga umalis na player sa PBL cvoz of age limit! bakit hindi na lng alisin yun age limit!? and tama rin yun sabi ni james_ty na busy si Chino Trinidad sa job nya sa GMA 7 so dapat ibigay nya na sa iba yun puwesto nya. yun mas tututok at muling magpapasigla sa PBL.

Sam Miguel
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
It would be very tough for the PBL to have another conference with only five teams, just like the last conference of 2009 that was won by Harbour Centre over Pharex.

What became of Toyota? According to a homepage article here in Gameface, Toyota was coming back to the PBL, and yet they are not mentioned by James Ty among the five teams who will supposedly be competing.

As of last year, the financial woes of the PBL were pretty much well known in the basketball world. They had indeed served notice that they would be moving out of the old Tektite office in order to move to a cheaper place in Mandaluyong and will undertake further cost-cutting moves.

Also of around last week of October last year, the PBL served notice that they would no longer retain the services of Gameface. Gameface of course will still continue to cover the PBL on our own if and when the league does return to action, and that hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

Personally I do not know if a merger with the Liga would be such a good move for the PBL. Liga is a bigger organization and it seems to be doing very well in spite of the rather hick reputation of that league. If ever this will not be a merger but a takeover, with the surviving entity perhaps being PBL in name only.

james_ty
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Toyota was indeed supposed to rejoin the PBL but they backed out due to lack of players, as well as the dilly-dallying attitude of the PBL regarding the opening of the new season.

I guess it's time the league merges with the Liga Pilipinas so that Noli Eala can efficiently run both leagues while Chino concentrates on his bread and butter, being a GMA TV reporter.

3pt_play
01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Lets see what the outcome of the supposed meeting today. The Commis have to decide the future of the PBL.

LION
01-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I was told the PBL Season 2010 has been cancelled because only 3 teams have assured their participation.

Clearly, Chino Trinidad did a very poor job of managing the affairs of the PBL.

james_ty
01-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I guess merging both leagues is the only way to go. Besides, I heard that Noli Eala has stepped down from Smart Gilas and will most likely be the commissioner of the PBL-Liga merger.

paolo
01-16-2010, 01:36 AM
I guess merging both leagues is the only way to go. Besides, I heard that Noli Eala has stepped down from Smart Gilas and will most likely be the commissioner of the PBL-Liga merger.
With only three teams there is no way that PBL will push with its scheduled opening on January 16. I am only saddened by the fact that PBL was a good training ground for college players to polish their skills before their school's respective season starts! :-[

abcdef
01-16-2010, 09:26 AM
More exposure to collegiate off season leagues and mas maganda dahil may kakumpitensya na ang PBA although PBL-Liga would still be a breeding ground of PBA players at least decentralized na ang Philippine Basketball and hinde na PBA lang ng PBA.

3pt_play
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Hopefully Chino will focus on the PBL now that a dialogue was started about the possibility of a merger with Liga. He should concentrate and put more efforts to start the PBL this season rather than get side tracked with the Manny's next fight. Chino, if you are too busy with other stuff other PBL please give it up and let someone run it.

paolo
01-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Any rumors at all about 2010 PBL season opening? Why everyone is so quiet? Is the season dead?
PBL will start on February 13, 2010. At last! ::)

3pt_play
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
How come no media announcements? With so much anticipation I would think that one or more news media should pick up on it. I will believe it when the PBL mgt show up and said it. Is the Commis still at home in the Philippines? Hope he was not part of the Pacquiao group who left for the US last Sunday. If the Commis was on that group he definitely should resign. He should stay home and iron out all the issues to get the ball rolling and start the PBL.

james_ty
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
The media PR of the PBL, Rey Lachica, is busy with the Philippine Patriots of the ABL. Kaya nga wala pang masyadong balita about the PBL. I got the news of the Liga-PBL meeting from Jasmine Payo of Inquirer through text.

Richard
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
UK Derm Pharma backs PBL

January 23, 2010, 8:03pm

Source: http://mb.com.ph/articles/239977/uk-derm-pharma-backs-pbl

The Philippine Basketball League (PBL) will have a new partner in its guest to discover new collegiate heroes with the entry of one of the country's leading skin care companies – the UK Derm Pharma.

UK Derm, maker of Erase Placenta and Erase Solutions, has agreed to become the league’s co-title sponsor as it shares the PBL’s vision in helping the collegiate stars reach their goal of playing in the pro league someday.

Louie Gamboa, president of UK Derm Pharma, Inc., said joining the PBL is a “dream come true” since they have long been looking for a venue where they can help Philippine sports, particularly basketball.

“It has long been our desire to help Philippine basketball and we’re now glad we’re now part of the PBL. Basketball is very close to the heart of the Filipinos, especially the young ones,” said the sports-loving Gamboa.

The season-opening tournament is scheduled next month with eight teams.

“Our company and the PBL have the same vision in promoting basketball in the country. We also believe that PBL is a perfect tool for our marketing since the league enjoys large following even in the countryside,” added Gamboa, who expressed confidence that the season-opening tournament will be as hot and exciting as the previous tournaments.

Erase Placenta, Gamboa said, is a 3-in-1 magic soap that has whitening, moisturizing and anti-ageing elements which is widely considered a breakthrough in herbal skin care while Erase Solutions help remove stretch marks, scars, pimples and freckles.

PBL Commissioner Chino Trinidad welcomed the support of the UK Derm Pharma, saying: “We’re honored that Mr. Gamboa selected the PBL to be part of their sports promotion.”

Being a co-title sponsor of the PBL, according to Gamboa, is just their initial foray since they intend to put up a team of their own in the league in the near future.

“We want to help Philippine sports in our own little way,” said Gamboa.

The other title sponsor of the league is PG Flex.

Sam Miguel
01-27-2010, 02:40 PM
We were informed by two independent sources that Bong Tan of Cobra as well as the Pascual Labs Group will be fielding in two teams each for this star-crossed PBL Conference.

Can James Ty or anybody else confirm this?

nastrans
01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Sam Miguel it's confirmed.

It will be Cobra and Cossack Vodka (UE-led team) while Pascual has Pharex B Complex and Ascof Lagundi (UP Maroons).

james_ty
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Aside from the four teams mentioned by nastrans, also competing are Excelroof-San Sebastian, Fern-C, Admix-Adamson and Agri-Nurture, Inc.

McCoy
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
why nawala ang Magnolia? buti na lang two team ang susuportahan ni Bong Tan at ng Pascual Lab.
mostly composed of collegiate players ang mga team, Excelroof-San Sebastian, Phoenix Oil-Adamson, Tanduay-UE and Ascoff Lagundi-UP.
Fern C, mukhang wala pang player. Agri-Nurture inc., any info about this team?
mukhang Pharex at Cobra ang may malakas na line-up ah.
siyempre paborito rin ang SSC Stags at UE Warriors rito.

McCoy
01-28-2010, 11:32 AM
oops... balita ko sasali rin ang Jose Rizal University Heavy Bombers ni coach Vergel "Aerial Voyager" Meneses.

james_ty
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
oops... balita ko sasali rin ang Jose Rizal University Heavy Bombers ni coach Vergel "Aerial Voyager" Meneses.

Baka sa second conference mangyayari ito. Some JRU players are playing for other teams.

james_ty
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
why nawala ang Magnolia? buti na lang two team ang susuportahan ni Bong Tan at ng Pascual Lab.
mostly composed of collegiate players ang mga team, Excelroof-San Sebastian, Phoenix Oil-Adamson, Tanduay-UE and Ascoff Lagundi-UP.
Fern C, mukhang wala pang player. Agri-Nurture inc., any info about this team?
mukhang Pharex at Cobra ang may malakas na line-up ah.
siyempre paborito rin ang SSC Stags at UE Warriors rito.

John Wilson and Yuri Escueta will be the key players of Fern-C. Bal David is the head coach.

James Sena went to Agri-Nurture, which is an agricultural firm.

Magnolia went on leave from the PBL because I heard from rumors that the SMC people are disenchanted with Chino as commissioner.

Tigercub
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
may updated list na ba ng mga line ups of the 8teams competing? :)

Sam Miguel
01-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Sam Miguel it's confirmed.

It will be Cobra and Cossack Vodka (UE-led team) while Pascual has Pharex B Complex and Ascof Lagundi (UP Maroons).

Cossack is the UE Team? Who will be playing for Cobra then?

Sam Miguel
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
By the way, who went to which team in the PBL Draft at Robinson Pioneer a couple days back?

nastrans
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Cobra?

Well mga "pipitsugin lang naman":

Eric Salamat
Paul Lee
Pari Llagas
Paul Sanga
Reil Cervantes
Jai Reyes
Chris Camus...among others

Rene Baena will coach Cobra

:D :D

Sam Miguel
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
^ Nastrans, how come Rene Baena is coching Cobra, does this mean Lawrence Chongson is coaching Cossack? If the UE stars are with Cobra, who are the players of Cossack?

nastrans
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Chongson will coach Cossack and players such as Paul Zamar and other current UE players will play there.

Yun lang si Paul Lee sa Cobra maglalaro.

sa_pula
01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Cobra?

Eric Salamat
Paul Lee
Pari Llagas
Paul Sanga
Reil Cervantes
Jai Reyes

sir nakalimutan mo pa si marcio lassiter although hindi natin alam kung maglalaro.

nastrans
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Oo nga pala si Lassiter pa pala....yun lang kung papayagan siya ng Gilas

At kasama din si Cossack si James Martinez, na nakarecover na dun sa ACL niya.

nastrans
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
And nasa Cobra din si Joshua Webb.

Man, I'm forgetting a lot of names.

james_ty
01-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Lawrence Chiongson will coach Cobra. Cossack will be handled by his assistants, Rene Baena and Nel Parado. Hope this clears everything.

Joescoundrel
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Pharex / Pascual Labs is also fielding two teams, one of which is reportedly a UP team, dunno how that's been worked out though. Watch out for new Pharex pointguard Rex Leynes, a former St Francis of Assisi superstar, who should shine in his rookie PBL conference.

james_ty
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Pharex B Complex will be made up of UP players. The regular Pharex team where Chris Ross used to play will now be known as Ascof Lagundi, which is Pharex's brand of cough syrup endorsed by Lucy Torres-Gomez.

loy
02-01-2010, 05:44 AM
San, Kelan at wat tym opening ng pbl?

my sched na ba?

james_ty
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
February 13 is the opening day for the PBL. The tentative venue is Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

pusongbaste
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
February 13 is the opening day for the PBL. The tentative venue is Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

Who will do the TV coverage for PBL this season?

james_ty
02-01-2010, 04:27 PM
It's still Solar TV 9 and Basketball TV. Solar will air the PBL as long as Chino remains commissioner. He is a talent of Solar during Manny Pacquiao's fights.

Richard
02-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Who will do the TV coverage for PBL this season?

I think the Ninoy Aquino Stadium will be used for the PBB Double Up Big Night

So just wait for the announcement to where will be the venue for the feb. 13 opening of PBL

james_ty
02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
The PBL opening has been moved to Feb. 16, Tuesday. It will be a short tournament.

And by the way, BTV is now on SkyCable Channel 71. It's back on the regular Sky channel rotation.

razor
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
^ how short? single round elims?

Richard
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
hindi ba ilalabas sa Solar TV??? kasi in the past 2 seasons PBL is always aired every tuesdays on Solar TV Ch. 9 kahit finals na sa Solar TV ang coveror kapag PBL finals

pusongbaste
02-02-2010, 05:19 PM
It's still Solar TV 9 and Basketball TV. Solar will air the PBL as long as Chino remains commissioner. He is a talent of Solar during Manny Pacquiao's fights.

I hope PBL would go back to S23! Their popularity really went down after moving to Solar. I hope Chino Trinidad would realize that.

maroonmartian
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM

I hope PBL would go back to S23! Their popularity really went down after moving to Solar. I hope Chino Trinidad would realize that.

I also agree with you Pusong Baste. I became a fan of PBL because it is shown on Philippine free TV. S23 also covers the game better and could be view more even those from the provinces.

Joescoundrel
02-02-2010, 11:39 PM
The PBL opening has been moved to Feb. 16, Tuesday. It will be a short tournament.

And by the way, BTV is now on SkyCable Channel 71. It's back on the regular Sky channel rotation.

Isn't this a rather ungainly date and day? Where is the venue, Ynares or Arena?

Joescoundrel
02-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Cobra?

Eric Salamat
Paul Lee
Pari Llagas
Paul Sanga
Reil Cervantes
Jai Reyes

I interviewed Coach Lawrence Chongson this afternoon and he said Reil Cervantes and Paul Sanga were not allowed by FEU to play in this PBL conference.

Others present at the practice at the Tanduay Gym were Marvin Hayes, Mark Sarangay, Allen Mangahas, and the entire UE squad, save the guys seeing action in the ongoing ABL.

james_ty
02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
^ how short? single round elims?

I don't know the exact format, but it will be a short conference from Feb. 16 to March 30.

james_ty
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
hindi ba ilalabas sa Solar TV??? kasi in the past 2 seasons PBL is always aired every tuesdays on Solar TV Ch. 9 kahit finals na sa Solar TV ang coveror kapag PBL finals

I don't know. Solar TV already has programs on the afternoon time slot. As far as I know, the PBL will be aired on cable.

james_ty
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Isn't this a rather ungainly date and day? Where is the venue, Ynares or Arena?

Makati Coliseum. The PBL opening was moved to Feb. 16 because of no available venue. Besides, Chino wants the league to open after Chinese New Year para maganda ang Feng Shui.

james_ty
02-03-2010, 10:57 AM

I also agree with you Pusong Baste. I became a fan of PBL because it is shown on Philippine free TV. S23 also covers the game better and could be view more even those from the provinces.

Chino kasi is a Solar talent. Galit siya sa ABS.

james_ty
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
The PBL is Back
BY MICO HALILI

February 03, 2010 | 10:47AM

The Philippine Basketball League (PBL) is scheduled to open Tuesday, February 16, with 8 teams. Just got this infomation from the PBL Commissioner’s Office. The tournament will be dubbed the “PBL PG-Flex UK Derm Open Conference.” This tournament will be swift since projected last playing day will be March 23.

PBL Commissioner Chino Trinidad says this marks the start of an abbreviated season. The PBL was supposed to start last November. Then it was pushed to December. Then it was postponed to January. Finally, the PBL is ready to open shop with 8 teams on February 13. At one point, the league only had 3 active teams ready to play. But the Commissioner says managing crisis is nothing new to the league. The PBL, then known as the Philippine Amateur Basketball League (PABL), was created to address the lack of opportunities for amateur players in 1984. ”The PBL was born out of crisis,” Trinidad says.

Spearheading the field are teams run by Pascual Laboratories, Inc and Asia Brewery Incorporated. In a noble gesture to ensure the viabilty of the PBL, Pascual Laboratories will deploy Ascof Lagundi and Pharex B Complex while Asia Brewery will form Cobra Energy Drink and Cossack Vodka. Completing the cast are Excelroof, Addmix, Agri Nurture and Fern C.

The 8 teams will be split into two groups. Top 2 teams at the end of the first round (3 games each) advance to Group A while bottom two teams move to Group B. After playing 2 games each, top two teams in Group A advance to the semifinals with the twice-to-beat advantage. The bottom two teams in Group A face top two teams in Group B in the KO quarterfinals. Quarterfinal KO winners will earn right to face semi-final teams. The Finals will be a best-of-three series.

Here are the line-up of coaches for the PBL PG-FLEX UK Derm Open Conference:

Ascof Lagundi - Carlo Tan
Cobra Energy Drink - Rene Baena
Excel Roof - Ato Agustin
Admix - Leo Austria
Agri Nurture - Toto Dojillo
Fern C - Bal David
Pharex B Complex - Aboy Castro
Cossack Vodka - Lawrence Chongson

After this transition tournament, a longer PBL conference starts on April 11. MH

PeterPaulMario
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
The PBL is Back
BY MICO HALILI

The Philippine Basketball League (PBL) is scheduled to open Tuesday, February 16, with 8 teams. Just got this infomation from the PBL Commissioner’s Office. The tournament will be dubbed the “PBL PG-Flex UK Derm Open Conference.” This tournament will be swift since projected last playing day will be March 23.

PBL Commissioner Chino Trinidad says this marks the start of an abbreviated season. The PBL was supposed to start last November. Then it was pushed to December. Then it was postponed to January. Finally, the PBL is ready to open shop with 8 teams on February 13. At one point, the league only had 3 active teams ready to play. But the Commissioner says managing crisis is nothing new to the league. The PBL, then known as the Philippine Amateur Basketball League (PABL), was created to address the lack of opportunities for amateur players in 1984. ”The PBL was born out of crisis,” Trinidad says.

That's a lie.

There was the MICAA then who had deep and strong relations with the BAP, headed by Lito "Para Sa Bayan" Puyat. But there was also a Project Director for basketball by the name of Danding Cojuangco who wanted a "new order". Hence, he initiated the founding of the PABL.

The MICAA was doing well in providing opportunities for amateur players. It gave them a venue to showcase their skills and earn while waiting for the break of making it into the PBA. But by the influence of Danding, businessmen who can afford to put up and maintain teams were invited to join the PABL. Slowly, marquee players at the MICAA signed up with PABL teams. What's a league without marquee players, eventually the MICAA faded and eventually die.

Clearly, the PABL/PBL wasn't born out of a crisis. It in fact created a crisis for a long-existing league and caused its demise.

But there is a crisis now in the PBL.

If they cannot correctly point out WHEN this crisis started, I doubt if they can ever solve the problems of this league.

nicksy
02-03-2010, 11:39 PM
with the entry of Liga Pilipinas and the ASEAN Basketball League , I doubt that PBL can sustain its vitality.

james_ty
02-04-2010, 10:39 AM
That's because the ABL and Liga Pilipinas have ex-pros, which the PBL does not accept.

My sports editor for the paper I work for is also mad at Chino. During a boxing presscon, my boss was about to ask a question when Chino suddenly butted in. Chino is very frank and sometimes, his attitude rubs people the wrong way.

maroonmartian
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Moving the opening of the PBL on February 16 is actually a good move. At least they don't conflict with the much anticipated DLSU-UST women's volleyball match in the UAAP. But seriously, they will open the league at the Makati Coliseum? Why not use the Ynares Center or on some other well known venue? ??? Wala na ba pera ;D

james_ty
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
The PBL will have a coaches meeting on Monday. We will know the schedule and venues by Tuesday.

Joescoundrel
02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
The PBL is Back
BY MICO HALILI

Spearheading the field are teams run by Pascual Laboratories, Inc and Asia Brewery Incorporated. In a noble gesture to ensure the viabilty of the PBL, Pascual Laboratories will deploy Ascof Lagundi and Pharex B Complex while Asia Brewery will form Cobra Energy Drink and Cossack Vodka. Completing the cast are Excelroof, Addmix, Agri Nurture and Fern C.

The 8 teams will be split into two groups. Top 2 teams at the end of the first round (3 games each) advance to Group A while bottom two teams move to Group B. After playing 2 games each, top two teams in Group A advance to the semifinals with the twice-to-beat advantage. The bottom two teams in Group A face top two teams in Group B in the KO quarterfinals. Quarterfinal KO winners will earn right to face semi-final teams. The Finals will be a best-of-three series.

Excel Roof - Ato Agustin
Admix - Leo Austria
Fern C - Bal David

After this transition tournament, a longer PBL conference starts on April 11. MH

I am now officially confused. When I spoke to Lawrence Chongson he said he would be handling Cobra and Rene Baena would be handling Cossack.

So which is which?

Joescoundrel
02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
The PBL will have a coaches meeting on Monday. We will know the schedule and venues by Tuesday.

When and where is this Coaches Meeting?

james_ty
02-08-2010, 10:52 AM
According to Pharex's Jean Alabanza, the meeting is scheduled today but I don't know where. It's confidential.

james_ty
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
The PBL is Back
BY MICO HALILI

Excel Roof - Ato Agustin
Admix - Leo Austria
Fern C - Bal David

I am now officially confused. When I spoke to Lawrence Chongson he said he would be handling Cobra and Rene Baena would be handling Cossack.

So which is which?

You are right. Chiongson will coach Cobra and Baena will handle Cossack with Nel Parado. Both Parado and Baena are Chiongson's assistants with UE.

oca
02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
The PBL is Back
BY MICO HALILI

Excel Roof - Ato Agustin
Admix - Leo Austria
Fern C - Bal David

I wonder how many of these teams have committed to play beyond this conference. At may nag commit ba para next season?

But I wouldn't blame the people running the league for the sorry state of the PBL. The change in the landscape of Philippine basketball has made things more difficult for the league. The age cut off and prohibition on ex-pros just made it worse. But even if these two rules are discarded, mahihirapan na talagang mamayagpag ang ligang ito.

One factor not often cited is the policy of well-funded college programs of not allowing their student-athletes to play in the PBL. Case in point are players from ADMU, DLSU and SBC. When was the last time active players from these schools have played in the PBL? Dyan pa lang meron ka nang di bababa sa 12 players who can generate interest and excitement for the league and of course they have their own following which in some small measure will add to the warm bodies in the stands.

Then dumating pa itong ABL. With every team allowed to hire 3 Filipino cagers, combine that with the Philippine Patriots, the PBL has lost the prospect of having such number of very good players in its fold.

These are factors beyond the control of the PBL. But these resulted to the league losing a significant number of players.

Ang buhay ng liga ay nandun sa mga players. How to attract, get and keep players ang dapat pagtuunan ng mga nagpapatakbo ng liga.

Pero kung pulos "fly-by-night" ang mga teams na naglalaro ngayon, paano ka makakakuha ng mga players? Kokonti na nga lang ang magagaling na available, di mo pa makuha ang interest nila.

mhaecee13
02-10-2010, 12:45 AM
January 13 at San Juan Arena. . .

chick13
02-10-2010, 02:05 AM
nkakainis naman talga c Chino T eh. . . buti naman natuloy na this sat ang PBL. . .

loy
02-10-2010, 03:46 AM
anong sched ng games?

Joescoundrel
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Would anybody know which player/s were taken by Agri-Nurture in the two PBL Drafts?

I know that a couple of De Ocampo Memorial College players wold be on that lineup, considering Toto Dojillo is also the head coach of the Cobras.

I would therefore assume the likes of forward Allen Morales, guard Rio Flores, swingman Chris Otacan and forward Jake Vista would be included out of De Ocampo.

Who, therefore, are the other players rounding out the Agri-Nurture lineup?

james_ty
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
January 13 at San Juan Arena. . .

It's February 16.

maroonmartian
02-10-2010, 02:58 PM
http://sports.inquirer.net/columns/columns/view/20100209-252086/PBL-Life-goes-on

One Game at a Time
PBL: Life goes on

By Sev Sarmenta
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:37:00 02/09/2010

Filed Under: Basketball

AFTER MONTHS OF WAITING, THE PHILIPPINE Basketball League finally opens its first tournament for 2010 on Feb. 16.

The PBL post-collegiate season, usually held in November, has traditionally been one of the most eagerly awaited by fans who want to check where the school stars would play and what unusual combinations or team-ups would happen.

However, due to the departure or leaves of absence of some teams for a variety of reasons, the PBL struggled this year to gather a viable number of squads for a competitive tournament.

Staple PBL teams like Harbour Centre, Hapee and league pioneer San Miguel took leaves, rendering the league with hardly enough for even a short conference like the five-team tourney it had before the collegiate season opened last year.

PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad, now on his 10th year at the helm, revealed that he even contemplated ending the league’s run.

“Yes, it was tough,” Trinidad reveals, “because it came to a point where I was all set to recommend to the PBL board that we just close shop as it was nearly impossible to go on with just three teams—Pascual Laboratories, Asia Brewery and Excelcoil.”

And yet the PBL has got to be one of the most flexible and resilient leagues in the basketball world, having survived the inevitable exodus of its stars to the pros and the challenge of other basketball leagues.

Even the advent of the Smart Gilas national team, a necessary alternative approach to the call of international competition, attracted some of the biggest names in college basketball.

The PBL, though, has never been the type to stand in the way of a player’s choices or of chances to improve the sport.

Interestingly as well, the PBL has never been wanting in applicants, with other companies just as passionate about having a basketball team that will carry their name. The perks are attractive as well, like exposure that is quite pervasive given television and print coverage.

So it was just a matter of time when the PBL would get enough teams.

Explains Trinidad: “It was not until the middle of January when we were able to get three more teams—Admix, Agri Nurture and Fern-C—to join the 2010 tournament. The good thing is that there are signs that life is returning to the PBL, which is good enough for me.”

The new squads will join the two teams each from Pascual Laboratories and Asia Brewery and Excelcoil. Eight teams should be more than enough to give fans their dose of amateur basketball and see how the college stars mix it up in a different competitive setting.

Trinidad is optimistic that the upcoming tournament will be successful.

“I expect excited players to get into the playing arena. It’s been almost eight months since the PBL played its last official game.

“From a league standpoint, there is tremendous pressure to show the sporting community that the PBL can survive the latest crisis. But as the saying goes: With every crisis comes an opportunity.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PBL will kick-off on January 16, 2010 at the FilOil Flying V in San Juan.

Richard
02-14-2010, 09:42 AM
GAME SCHEDULES

ELIMINATION ROUND :

2010 PBL PG FLEX - UK DERM OPEN CUP

Feb 16 ( TUE) – San Juan Arena
1:40PM OPENING CEREMONIES
2:00PM ASCOF LAGUNDI vs. EXCELROOF
4:00PM FERN C vs. COSSACK BLUE

Feb 18 (THU) – Ynares Sports Arena, Pasig City
2:00PM COBRA ENERGY DRINK vs. ADDMIX
4:00PM AGRI NURTURE vs. PHAREX B COMPLEX

Feb 20 (SAT) – Ynares Sports Arena, Pasig City
2:00PM PHAREX B COMPLEX vs. COBRA ENERGY DRINK
4:00PM EXCELROOF vs. AGRI NURTURE

Feb 23 (TUE) – San Juan Arena
2:00PM COSSACK BLUE vs. ASCOF LAGUNDI
4:00PM ADDMIX vs. FERN C

Feb 25 (THU) – San Juan Arena
2:00PM FERN C vs. PHAREX B COMPLEX
4:00PM ASCOF LAGUNDI vs. ADDMIX

Feb 27 (SAT) – Ynares Sports Arena, Pasig City
2:00PM PHAREX B COMPLEX vs. ASCOF LAGUNDI
4:00PM COBRA ENERGY DRINK vs. COSSACK BLUE

Mar 2 (TUE) – Ynares Sports Arena, Pasig City
2:00PM AGRI NURTURE vs. FERN C
4:00PM ADDMIX vs. EXCELROOF

Mar 4 (THU) – Ynares Sports Arena, Pasig City
2:00PM EXCELROOF vs. COBRA ENERGY DRINK
4:00PM COSSACK BLUE vs. AGRI NURTURE

SOURCE: http://pbl.org.ph/schedules.php

** This is only single round 8 teams divided into two groups

*** No final and official line-ups yet for all 8 teams. We will know the official line-ups of the 8 teams by tomorrow or tuesday during the opening.

for more stories, stats, updates and photos

pls. visit... http://www.pbl.org.ph/

it is now active at this moment

sa_pula
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Bakit nakalagay dun sa line up ng cobra na suspended sila cervantes, sanga,lassiter, villanueva, marcelo at webb?

nastrans
02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Baka naman reserve list lang kasi yung iba hindi pinayagan ng mga schools nila.

Richard
02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
FYI: some players from FEU and other schools from la salle (i.e. webb, villanueva, maui) are not allowed to play this season due to other commitments.

But they can still decide on them if they will play or not.

New Story: (From jonas Terrado)

PBL opens shop
By JONAS TERRADO
February 15, 2010, 4:19pm

Games Tuesday (The Arena in San Juan)
1:40 p.m. — Opening Ceremonies
2 p.m. — Ascof Lagundi vs Excel Roof
4 p.m. — Fern-C vs Cossack Blue

The 2010 PBL PG Flex-Erase Placenta Cup starts Tuesday with a promise of another tough and exciting actions from a new batch of budding stars at The Arena in San Juan.

Except for Ascof Lagundi of Pascual Laboratories, the three other teams seeing action in the opening day of the country’s premier amateur basketball league are made up of stars of various collegiate teams, thus ensuring a fast-paced action with highlight plays – deadly crossovers and aerial acrobatics – likely to provide extra thrill to the crowd.

PBL Commissioner Chino Trinidad is not discounting the possibility that rookies will get a piece of the limelight although a number of veterans are out to make a statement to boost their stocks when they join the pro ranks late this year.

“There are a lot of exciting players out there, even rookies are expected to make an impression in the coming tournament,” said Trinidad, who thanked the old and new teams for believing in the vision of the league.

Ascof Lagundi starts its bid for a first-ever championship when it battle Excel Roof at 2 p.m. in the first game before new teams Fern-C and Cossack Blue meet in the second game at 4 p.m.

The games will start following a simple opening rites at 1:40 p.m. as the league will introduce all of the eight competing teams in the season-opening tournament.

Out to welcome guests and officials of eight participating teams are PBL chairman Ding Camua, Deputy Commissioner Tommy Ong, and Executive Director Butch Maniego.

San Juan Mayor JV Ejercito has also been invited to do the ceremonial toss. He will be assisted by Camua, the board representative of Pascual Laboratories. Cobra’s Paul Lee and Fern-C’s John Wilson will lead the Oath of Sportsmanship.

Dubbed as the Cough Busters, Ascof Lagundi (formely Pharex) will try to improve on its surprising runner-up finish last season behind holdovers JR Gerilla, Raymond Aguilar, Ian Mazo, and Kojack Melegrito.

Ascof Lagundi coach Carlo Tan can also count on the services of newcomers Bam Gamalinda of San Beda, former UAAP Mythical Five member Edwin Asoro, Rex Leynes, and Mapua's Jonathan Banal, who will make a return from an ACL injury he suffered last season while playing for Magnolia.

But Ascof Lagundi expects a tough challenge from Excel Roof, which will boast mainly of players from the NCAA champion San Sebastian Stags and coach Ato Agustin.

Source: by Jonas Terrado, for http://mb.com.ph/articles/243618/pbl-opens-shop