PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Suns Thread (2009-2010 Season)

coreytaylor
11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I haven't seen how the Suns are playing this season and I am just curious, how is Coach Alvin Gentry is running the team? They are still strong offensive but are there any improvements on their defense?

The Suns currently have a 8-1 record. How many games do you think the Suns can win this season? Can they continue the way they're playing right now (early in the season) towards the playoffs?

Discuss!

coreytaylor
11-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Yesterday, they torched the Hornets 124-104, 75pts of it came in the 1st half. Amazing.

Mel
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
the Lakers brought them back to earth today.

But still, I like the Suns.

Semenelin
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
i sure hope Suns will do something either this February or during the offseasons. If the team doesnt turn things around, I dont think Amare will stay with us. We will free up cap space that way but will we attract star players if they know the STAT isnt around anymore? I read in the Planet Orange that a fan wanted to trade jrich and LB for tmac's expiring contract. im not if Houston will agree to that but then thats a good way to clear cap space and maybe get someone that will help STAT.

however, i'd rather have jrich and STAT be traded and get bosh(via free agency) rather than loosing LB. but thats just me. should the Suns rebuild or not?

PS i know camby's contract is up also, it would be great to see him in orange ;D

coreytaylor
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Finally, Suns sweeps Spurs for the 1st time in the Playoffs. Now, time to face a tougher foe, the Lakers (sorry Utah fans, you got no chance).

Now, who said that Steve Kerr was making a mess out of the Suns' line-up? ;D

maroonmartian
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
After all these years of doubting, the Suns now could boast this win. My god, I was in high school when the Spurs are making the Suns a fool.Not anymore ;D Very happy for the sweep for the Spurs. Our sweetest win so far.

As for the series against the LA Lakers, well the best team wins. We will wait for you.

mighty_lion
05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Beat David Stern. Orlando-Phx for NBA finals. ;D

maroonmartian
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Gameplan of the Suns vs the Lakers?

OUTRUN and OUTGUN :D
Defend Kobe
Nash and Stoudemire 1-2 punch
Toughen up against Gasol

maroonmartian
05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
^ Hayop na Kobe yan o. At ang Suns halos walang magandang maibigay na kalaban. He just dominates us.

Bawi Suns. Make it a tough series.

Sam Miguel
05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
In the end the Phoenix Suns simply proved they couldn't defend jack - and I don't mean Nicholson, although the way these Suns supposedly defend even that might prove iffy.

They let Kobe Bryant have 21 points - in the THIRD QUARTER - on his way to his 11th 40-point game in his plyoffs career. While the Suns made their average with 107 points per game, they allowed the Lakers to dump 128 on them. Amazing, it is as if Mike D'Antoni never left.

They also let Lamar Odom get a near-20 20 with 19 points and 19 rebounds. 19 rebounds. For Lamar Odom. Haven't these Suns been taught how to BOX OUT? Odom got his rebounds today with superior positioning and relentlessness coming after the loose balls and anticipating the bounce off the rim. None of the "superior athletes" on the Phoenix front line bothered to locate him off a shot.

This is over. Lakers in Five.

coreytaylor
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
In the end the Phoenix Suns simply proved they couldn't defend jack - and I don't mean Nicholson, although the way these Suns supposedly defend even that might prove iffy.

They let Kobe Bryant have 21 points - in the THIRD QUARTER - on his way to his 11th 40-point game in his plyoffs career. While the Suns made their average with 107 points per game, they allowed the Lakers to dump 128 on them. Amazing, it is as if Mike D'Antoni never left.

They also let Lamar Odom get a near-20 20 with 19 points and 19 rebounds. 19 rebounds. For Lamar Odom. Haven't these Suns been taught how to BOX OUT? Odom got his rebounds today with superior positioning and relentlessness coming after the loose balls and anticipating the bounce off the rim. None of the "superior athletes" on the Phoenix front line bothered to locate him off a shot.

This is over. Lakers in Five.

Odom got 19 rebounds, while Suns' starting 5 only got 20 rebounds combined (Amare with only 3). Ouch! :-\

Overall, Lakers got 42 rebounds while Suns only have 34.

Dark Knight
05-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I just Apparated from the Staples Center two days ago and was so dissapointed with the Suns loss. I even used the Confundus Charm against the whole Lakers Team and it seems they each had a vial of Felix Felicis cause it didnt work! Damn Lakers. Even the Persian Darkness Powder never took effect. Now, im studying Horcrux against Bryant.

To the Lakers....SECTUMSEMPRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid Cubao
05-23-2010, 01:30 PM
^^ whatever floats your boat, man.

maroonmartian
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
From NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/games/20100523/LALPHX/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0040900313

Suns display depth in Game 3 win

By Mike Tulumello

PHOENIX -- The Suns no longer are one-dimensional.

Few people outside Arizona full understood this until Sunday night, when they set aside a faltering 3-point game and attacked the basket in pulling out a 118-109 win over the Lakers.

The Lakers still lead the Western Conference Finals, 2-1, with Game 4 set for Tuesday night in Phoenix

Yes, this time it was the Suns who had the edge inside thanks to a wondrous game by Amare Stoudemire (42 points on 14-of-22 shooting) plus 11 rebounds. :o

"I wanted to attack their bigs a little bit and get them into foul trouble," said Stoudemire, who'd played poorly in Games 1 and 2 in Los Angeles.

Then too, the basketball world got to see the best of Robin Lopez, who gave the Suns an invaluable, second major inside weapon by hitting 8-of-10 for 20 points.

Lopez, who missed seven weeks recently with back problems, hadn't been emphasized at all in the Suns' losses in Los Angeles.

At the other end, Suns coach Alvin Gentry pulled a rabbit out of his coaching hat by using a zone defense to slow down the Lakers' offense, a juggernaut in Los Angeles.

"It took us a long time to figure it out," the Lakers Pau Gasol said of the zone, where Lopez patrolled the middle with Stoudemire playing to the left of the hoop.

The idea was to make the Lakers beat the Suns over the top while hoping the Lakers didn't shoot as well as they did in Los Angeles, Gentry said.

The truth be told, "In practice (Saturday), it was the worst it's ever been. It really wasn't good."

But the Suns decided to give it a try.

"We stuck with it, and it worked," said Gentry, who employed a zone somewhat reluctantly during the season.

"We can play a zone. I just didn't think we'd play 80 percent zone."

"It's always hard to play a zone against that triangle offense," Stoudemire said. "You have to have great activity."

The Suns also got 17 points and 15 assists (with just one turnover) from Steve Nash and 19 points from Jason Richardson.

The Suns shot just 5-for-20 on 3-pointers. But their inside emphasis got them a 42-20 free throw edge.

"They attacked the hoop tonight" while, "We stayed home on the 3-point shooters" Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

For the Lakers, Kobe Bryant had a great game.

The superstar knocked down 13-for-24 for 36 points, and he passed for 11 assists. Gasol added 23 points and nine rebounds.

But Lamar Odom, who killed the Suns in Los Angeles, shot a modest 4-for-14. He had 10 points and six rebounds and fouled out while Ron Artest shot 4-for-13 for 12 points.

The Lakers also only got two points and two boards in eight minutes from Andrew Bynum. Jackson said he'll consider holding out the hobbling Bynum for a game.

In addition, the Lakers -- who had their NBA-best, 8-game playoff win streak broken -- may have to adjust their approach to Stoudemire.

"He's a great player," Bryant said

"He had a couple of tough games. He wasn't going to come out here and roll over. I saw this coming."

Early on, the Suns were reduced to trading Channing Frye's woeful 3-point tries -- he was 0-for-7 in the first half -- with point-blank shots by Gasol.

Add that to the fact that the Suns failed to capitalize on their 11-0 margin in first quarter free throws -- they still trailed 32-29 heading into the second quarter -- and the Lakers' chances appeared solid.

In fact, when the Lakers led 45-39 midway through the second quarter, they looked like they might knock down 120-plus points for the third straight game.

But when the Suns put the 3-pointers on hold and started getting the ball inside -- while coming up with stops at the other end -- they started to take control of the game.

Lopez gave the Suns' an inside presence as the Suns closed the half on a

15-2 run, good for a 54-47 lead.

The Suns' margin would have been greater had not Richardson missed two layups; his difficulties in converting at the rim have come up a number of times this season.

The Suns struggled to crack the game open, though, because their vaunted 3-point game -- one of the best in NBA history -- couldn't shake the Lakers' watchful defense.

The Suns led 93-92 in the final quarter when Stoudemire attacked the hoop, drew a foul and hit two free throws.

Then Bryant fumbled away a pass, and Jason Richardson took advantage by hitting a 3-pointer.

That made it 98-92 with 6:57 left.

The Suns stumbled, momentarily, on turnovers by Stoudemire and Grant Hill and a push-off foul on Nash on a rebound hauled in by Stoudemire.

The Lakers thus closed to 100-96 with 4:00 left.

Then Stoudemire, with the ball up high, spotted an opening and drove for a score.

Next, Odom fouled Lopez, and the big center converted both free throws.

After Artest missed a 3-pointer, the Suns put on a passing clinic, finally whipping the ball to Nash on the right side for a wide-open 17-footer.

He hit it. The Suns had a 106-96 lead with 2:42 left and the game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great game for the Suns 1-2 punck especially to Amare Stoudemire. Buti may chance pa na manalo. Go Suns!!!

A-boy97
05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Wow! After losing big in games 1 and 2, the series is now tied 2-2! Will this be an upset or something like the Oklahoma series?

maroonmartian
05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
The Phoenix Suns made my day. Yes the Suns has still a chance actually. Game 5 would be the most crucial of the series.

As for the game. No Amare show. Its more of the Suns shocktroopers (Amundson, Dudley, Dragic, Frye, Barbosa). Remember the Suns-Spurs Game Three? It was repeated here. THE SUNS IMO had the deeper bench. For a running team like the Suns, that is good. And I would also credit their zone which limited Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum's inside presence.

Go SUNS. BEAT L.A.!!!

maroonmartian
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
After that heartbreaking loss in Game 5 in LA, the Suns never got backed from their old self. Good luck to Los Angeles. Hope you Beat Boston.

As for Amare, hope he stays still for the team.But I see a lot of future for this Suns squad. A lot of young guys stepping up. DRAGIC!!!! ;D Make them traGIC.

cub
05-30-2010, 07:36 PM
First thing they need to do is sign Amar'e. Then Channing Frye. I believe they have some cap space left since they bought out Ben Wallace's and Pavlovic's contracts last year. They don't have any picks in the first rd so I guess they might settle for Jarvis Varnado in the 2nd rd if he's still available.

If they can trade Leandro Barbosa's huge contract for let's say a Tayshaun Prince type of a player, then they will be a title contender next year.

Let's Go Suns!

dark_seid
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
amare wants max money (which phoenix shouldn't give to him) and frye most probably opts out to ask for a raise.
hmmm ... why not throw that max money instead at dirk? he can approximate amare's scoring and girlie rebounding with frye's 3pt range.

then kerr can try to go out and give the money left over instead to harder playing journeymen to fill out the bench spots.

Outlander
07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvWPp3hElNn9vb_uVl.PyDy8vLYF?slug=ap-suns-raptorstrade

Suns complete deal to get Turkoglu

PHOENIX (AP)—The Phoenix Suns have acquired Turkish forward Hedo Turkoglu(notes) in a trade that sends Brazilian guard Leandro Barbosa(notes) and forward Dwayne Jones(notes) to Toronto.

The deal gives the Suns a third forward in their attempt to replace free agent Amare Stoudemire. Phoenix signed swingman Josh Childress(notes) in a sign-and-trade deal with Atlanta earlier Wednesday and picked up Hakim Warrick(notes) in similar swap with Chicago.

Turkoglu spent one disappointing season in Toronto, averaging 11.3 points after being named the NBA’s most improved player with Orlando the year before.

Barbosa, the NBA’s 2006-07 sixth man of the year, played seven seasons in Phoenix, averaging 12.6 points as a key sub. Jones spent most of last season in the NBA Developmental League.

Outlander
08-06-2010, 09:29 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlTMHtHyWIdA6HDicUatttC8vLYF?slug=ap-suns-gm

Suns lure Blanks from Cleveland to be GM

By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Sports Writer

PHOENIX (AP)—Lon Babby’s first priority after being named president of basketball operations for the Phoenix Suns was to find a top-level talent assessor.

The former big-name sports agent knows the business side of the NBA and wanted someone who could complement his ledger skills by finding the right players to put on the court.

Babby got the man he wanted on Thursday, hiring Lance Blanks as general manager.

Considered one of the league’s top up-and-coming executives, Blanks joins the Suns after consecutive five-year runs with two highly successful NBA teams and a short playing career.

“After a thorough search, we believe we have found the perfect choice to serve as our general manager,” Babby said. “Lance Blanks is a first-rate talent evaluator, basketball executive and person. We are thrilled that he will be joining the Phoenix Suns.”

A first-round pick out of Texas by the Detroit Pistons in 1990, Blanks had an undistinguished playing career. He played 142 games over two seasons with Detroit and Minnesota, then closed out his career with stints in the CBA and overseas.

Blanks, 43, had better luck in the front office, spending five years in the scouting department of the San Antonio Spurs, who won two NBA titles and drafted previously unheralded players Tony Parker(notes) and Luis Scola(notes). He spent the past five seasons as vice president of basketball operations and assistant general manager for the Cleveland Cavaliers, who won 66 percent of their games during his tenure.

Blanks will take over a team that has undergone drastic changes since reaching the Western Conference finals last season.

Vice president and general manager Steve Kerr left the team at the end of June to spend more time with family and return to his job as a basketball analyst for TNT. Assistant general manager David Griffin also stepped down after 13 years with the organization.

The roster has gone through upheaval, as well.

Five-time All-Star Amare Stoudemire opted out of the final year of his contract and signed with the New York Knicks. The Suns have tried to replace him by bringing in Hedo Turkoglu(notes), Hakim Warrick(notes) and Josh Childress(notes). They also re-signed shooting center Channing Frye(notes).

Phoenix’s boldest move of the offseason was hiring Babby, a longtime agent with no background in working in an NBA front office.

Now Blanks gets a chance to pull it all together.