PDA

View Full Version : Smart Gilas Salary - what are the real numbers?

durden_tyler
09-04-2009, 02:23 AM
In light of the recent controversy, i feel we need to be transparent with the respective salaries of the Smart Gilas national team/pool.

We know the future-naturalized player CJ Giles is to be paid handsomely relative to his teammates but in contrast with other naturalized "stars" of the other nations like Lebanon's Jackson Vroman and maybe, the entire Qatari team.

That said, we need the help of SBP insiders (yes, you Nardy our lone SBP insider:D) to confirm or deny or maybe even get us the exact figures.

Why the need for transparency?
+ We will know which sacrificed money for the flag
+ We will know which of which are the perceived major contributors thus the bigger salary
+ (Eventual) Underpaid-Role players salaries (which i am very interested in) because these are the players who may not earn as much as the next guy but might even be a contributor in future competitions
+ (Eventual) overpaid players--- believe me, in 2-3 years time this will be a good gauge if deciding who was a good/bad insurance after all

All of the list below are speculations or recent articles; please correct me if i am mistaken and you have a better idea (all figures, P/month and ideally increases year to year)

Official numbers (links provided)
- CJ Giles (Sioux Falls) - not yet naturalized - 720,000

From a http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/217789/cj-giles-sbp-reach-accord"]Manila (http://":

His salary is similar to PBA imports approximately $15,000 a month (roughly P720,00). Eala said that the 6-foot-10 Giles had already received an initial payment. Hes expected to arrive September 1.

From this http://www.inboundpass.com/2009/03/25/mo-money-mo-problems-the-curious-case-of-smart-gilas/?cp=1"]inbound (http://"[url) pass.com link, we can assume that they have signed or at least will sign long-term contracts (ideally until 2012)

Each member of Smart Gilas was offered a multi-year contract to train and practice under the tutelage of Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, the man responsible for leading Iran to the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Included in those contracts: cold, hard cash.

Speculative numbers (Curiously, it's only Giles who has the official salary listed in the news; either i need more time, or it's just not out there)

- Joseph Casio (Toyota OS) - 130,00
Chose NT over any PBA Team. i'd assume that he was considered at least a top 7 pick in the PBA--- a first rounder gains 150,000 on the first year so my estimate was a generous one close to that

- Dylan Ababou (Magnolia PW) - 100,000
Same reasoning as Casio, he's a sure-fire first round pick if he would have joined the PBA in a couple of years (?). But since he is still with a college team for the next two years (?) or so i put the salary a little bit lower.

- Marnel Baracael (Burger King Whopper) - 100,000
Same reasoning as Ababou.

- Mark Barroca (Harbour Centre) - 80,000
2nd year player, so much much lower than his collegiate counterparts.

- Rafael Jazul (Toyota OS) - 90,000
Graduating but not a first rounder in the PBA

- Chris Tiu (Hapee Toothpaste) - 150,000
Virtual top 3 player in the draft, same as Casio

- Ryan Buenafe (Ateneo de Manila University -120,000
- Rey Guevarra (Bacchus) - 50,000
- Jason Ballesteros (Burger King Whopper) - 50,000
- Aldrech Ramos (Harbour Centre) - 50,000
- Ric Cawaling (Harbour Centre) - 50,000
- Magi Sison (University of the Philippines) - 50,000
- Ford Arao - 50,000

i believe these are the players that has yet to sign but whom the SBP has shown interest in (Numbers again, pure speculation with respect to their current value):

- Junmar Fajardo - 150,000
- Greg Slaughter (University of Visayas) - 150,00
- Japeth Aguilar (Western Kentucky University) - 150,000
- Rabah-All Hussaini - 150,000

These blue-chippers would probably want more than the usual but SBP won't overpay for a single player so it is doubtful they give a salary similar to what Giles is getting:

- Chris Lutz (Marshall University) - 250,000 - 300,000
- Stanley Pringle (Penn State University) - 250,000 - 300,000
- Sean Anthony (McGill University) -250,000 - 300,000

Again, except for Giles there is no concrete evidence how much exactly the Gilas players are getting (going to be) paid. Correct me if you know anything and please provide a link or at least a source.

D_I_A
09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
In light of the recent controversy, i feel we need to be transparent with the respective salaries of the Smart Gilas national team/pool.

We know the future-naturalized player CJ Giles is to be paid handsomely relative to his teammates but in contrast with other naturalized "stars" of the other nations like Lebanon's Jackson Vroman and maybe, the entire Qatari team.

That said, we need the help of SBP insiders (yes, you Nardy our lone SBP insider:D) to confirm or deny or maybe even get us the exact figures.

+ We will know which of which are the perceived major contributors thus the bigger salary
+ (Eventual) Underpaid-Role players salaries (which i am very interested in) because these are the players who may not earn as much as the next guy but might even be a contributor in future competitions
+ (Eventual) overpaid players--- believe me, in 2-3 years time this will be a good gauge if deciding who was a good/bad insurance after all

All of the list below are speculations or recent articles; please correct me if i am mistaken and you have a better idea (all figures, P/month and ideally increases year to year)

From a http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/217789/cj-giles-sbp-reach-accord"]Manila (http://":

His salary is similar to PBA imports approximately $15,000 a month (roughly P720,00). Eala said that the 6-foot-10 Giles had already received an initial payment. Hes expected to arrive September 1.

From this http://www.inboundpass.com/2009/03/25/mo-money-mo-problems-the-curious-case-of-smart-gilas/?cp=1"]inbound (http://"[url) pass.com link, we can assume that they have signed or at least will sign long-term contracts (ideally until 2012)

Each member of Smart Gilas was offered a multi-year contract to train and practice under the tutelage of Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, the man responsible for leading Iran to the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Included in those contracts: cold, hard cash.

Speculative numbers (Curiously, it's only Giles who has the official salary listed in the news; either i need more time, or it's just not out there)

Chose NT over any PBA Team. i'd assume that he was considered at least a top 7 pick in the PBA--- a first rounder gains 150,000 on the first year so my estimate was a generous one close to that

Same reasoning as Casio, he's a sure-fire first round pick if he would have joined the PBA in a couple of years (?). But since he is still with a college team for the next two years (?) or so i put the salary a little bit lower.

- Ford Arao - 50,000

i believe these are the players that has yet to sign but whom the SBP has shown interest in (Numbers again, pure speculation with respect to their current value):

These blue-chippers would probably want more than the usual but SBP won't overpay for a single player so it is doubtful they give a salary similar to what Giles is getting:

Again, except for Giles there is no concrete evidence how much exactly the Gilas players are getting (going to be) paid. Correct me if you know anything and please provide a link or at least a source.

i smell a BAP worm here!

oca
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
The real numbers, however small or significant, are irrelevant.

The fact is, without these "numbers", these players will inevitably apply for the PBA draft; and we need not discuss how incompatible the PBA is with respect to international play. Different calendar, different style of play, etc.

Hence, there must be a reason for these invited players to defer their plans of pursuing a career in the PBA.

So, what kung 1M yan?

At kung may binarat man, ano ngayon?

What is significant is the program will be able to attract and keep players over a period of time, in this case, up to 2012.

Transparency?

--What for? The fact is no public funds is used to pay these players.

On questions of money in relation to playing for the NT and actual performance of the players.

--Para namang kahapon ka lang nagsimulang manood ng basketball dito sa Pilipinas.

- Ford Arao - 50,000

thadzonline
10-15-2009, 04:07 PM
GS mentioned he was going to get a lot less than Casio(probably even half that of Casio). He wasn't happy when he mentioned this to me. I don't know if anything has changed since that July conversation.