PDA

View Full Version : Aguilar's Plight: For the Country or For the Money?

D_I_A
08-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Japeth faces lifetime ban
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated August 29, 2009 12:00 AM

Philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines - Japeth Aguilar, the PBA top draftee, has decided to join the Smart Gilas team, foregoing his stint with Burger King despite threat of a lifetime ban from the pro league.

“He’s made a decision. He’ll not sign up with Burger King. He’ll play for the country,” said veteran newsman Ronnie Nathanielsz, representing the 6-foot-9 cager as agent.

“They (Burger King officials) said they would move for Japeth to be banned from the league but Japeth and his father said bahala na sila (let them be),’” Nathanielsz added.

Nathanielsz told The STAR that the Tianjin FIBA-Asia experience was an eye-opener for the prized rookie on his role on the future RP team which prompted him to offer his services to Smart Gilas.

Nathanielsz also said Aguilar has nothing against coach Yeng Guiao or the limited minutes he played in the Tianjin joust.

“He saw in Tianjin that he’ll be needed by Smart Gilas. He just wants to help the country,” said Nathanielsz.

The veteran newsman, a PBA long-timer, believes there’s no provision in the PBA by-laws that would close the door on Aguilar when he decides to rejoin the league.

Burger King top official Lito Alvarez, however, said the PBA board will impose severe sanction on the player.

“They’re making a mockery of a 35-year-old organization. I will not take this sitting down and I don’t think the PBA board will let it pass,” said Alvarez, the current PBA chair.

“He shouldn’t have joined the draft in the first place if he wants to play for Smart Gilas. Now that he joined the draft, he’s bound to comply with the rules,” Alvarez said. “I have offered Japeth a three-year maximum contract for a PBA rookie.”

Nathanielsz informed Alvarez of their plan as early as Wednesday. Alvarez, in turn, advised Nathanielsz to first consult with the parents of the player and with the league commissioner..

The BK top honcho thinks the player was ill advised on his decision not to turn pro.

“They’ll get to enjoy the best of both worlds in my offer since I’m giving him the maximum contract for three years and I’m allowing him to play for Smart Gilas on the side,” said Alvarez.

shyboy
08-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Aguilar doesn't even deserve any of the attention at all. Mediocre numbers in the UAAP and US NCAA. Listless during the FIBA-Asia. And what does he get? He becomes No. 1 PBA draft pick. He becomes supposedly the "Future of Philippine Basketball." He gets picked to play against the likes of Robert Horry and Dominique Wilkins in the NBA Legends vs. PBA All-Stars. Huwat?!! Damn, the Japeth Aguilar bandwagon is in high gear! Yipee! "Hype alone has made me a certified star!", Aguilar must be thinking.

Unfortunately, he now realizes he won't cut it that easily in the PBA thus the quick change of heart. Being fickle-minded ain't helping his cause all the more. First, he joined the Smart-Gilas team in Las Vegas this summer. Then, he dumped Smart-Gilas and joined the PBA-Powerade team. Then he decides to play for the PBA. Now he's dumping Burger King and the PBA, and wants to go back to Smart-Gilas. Ano akala niya sa PBA, inter-barangay na pwedeng umayaw bago magumpisa yung liga? Parang di nagiisip, bira lang ng bira. Maybe he should change his mind again and shift to Track and Field, he'll be an asset in the high jumps.

joelex
08-29-2009, 08:45 AM
“He saw in Tianjin that he’ll be needed by Smart Gilas. He just wants to help the country,” said Nathanielsz.

B.S.

CrossOver
08-29-2009, 09:09 AM
wag naman nila pag-initan si Japeth confuse lang yung tao, by the way he join sa RP Powerade Team dahil kailangan siya ng bayan. At dahil nasa poder siya ng coach sinabay na din ang magandang offer sa kanya para sa BK I believe na double purpose ito kaya kinuha siya ni coach Yeng, nagbago man isip niya karapatan niya yon. If the league decided na i-ban siya because of one sided rules nila so be it wala na palang karapatan ang talent na magbago isip kahit wala pang kontratang pinipirmahan. Tandaan na lang nila na ang desisyon niya ay dahil kailangan ulit siya ng country.

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2009, 09:58 AM
It's good to hear that Japeth has decided to join Smart Gilas.
Sa tingin niyo ba kung hindi siya binangko ni Yeng sa FIBA Asia sa Tianjin ay tatalon siya ng bakod? ;D

I guess after 3 years with Smart Gilas ay wala na siguro si Yeng sa BK? :P
Kaya siguro nanggagalaiti si Alvarez ay nasira ang rebuilding process ng Burger King. They were trying to build a team that would center around Japeth. Heck, they even traded away Arwind Santos in the offseason because they knew they were getting Japeth in the Draft.

joelex
08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
There was no stopping him from joining Smart-Gilas or any team he wanted. But why join the draft and take some time off in the States to decide just now? Its not about playing for the country or for doing what he really wanted, but its about a deal you've made with which any good man would honor.

While Japeth could make a decision of his own, I thoroughly believe this whole brouhaha is being orchestrated by a combination of Eala and Nathanielz, and has brainwashed the Aguilar family. Eala surely emphasized and convinced Aguilar how poorly he was utilized in the recent FIBA games by Guiao. (ankle sprain notwithstanding)

Higit doble sigurado ang nilapag sa mesa na mahirap tanggihan ninuman.

maverick
08-29-2009, 10:32 AM
For a player , who has been picked in a draft for professional leagues, to refuse to sign a contract with the team that drafted him, is nothing new in global history of professional leagues. They either eventually sign-up mid-season or a year or 2 later, if the drafter retains signing rights/get traded to another team who takes the risk of waiting to sign him up in the near future/ or in the case of MLB, never signed at all and is redrafted by another team in a later draft, with the original drafter getting compensation in terms of draft picks. In fact, recently in MLB, Washington Nationals nearly did not come to terms with phenom Stephen Strasburg drafted #1 in 2009 draft. If that happened, they will be compensated with the #2 pick the next draft.
The case of Aguilar will be a first for a Philippine Professional League, in this case, the oldest Philippine Professional League. It would appear out of norms of Philippine Culture, but legally, as Nathanielz says there are no rules against it, the PBA really would not have a hold on this. Unless there are certain agreements as requirement in entering the PBA Draft since players actually apply to enter the draft.
The offer of Alvarez for Aguilar to play for both Burger King & Smart Gilas is a good offer. Though I don't know if it will actually work for Smart Gilas which intends to play abroad even as the PBA season is ongoing, the very reason why a National Team of PBA players was found ineffective.
Coach Guiao will be put into difficult light because of the situation as he really defended the drafting of Aguilar, a son of a "Cabalen" over other potential PBA stars in the draft. In fact Burger King gave up several other early picks based on their eventual drafting of Aguilar as #1. Now, Burger King is in confused & devastated over the events. Was there a falling-out somewhere? Aguilar was suddenly a non-key player during the actual FIBA Championships Tournament.

Entering the PBA draft for me was a surprise decision by Aguilar, some quoting he wanted to help his family and it was a family agreement. For him to suddenly want to play for Smart Gilas is of course great for the country, and great for him as well. He'll be able to hone his skills more under Tomoran & against skilled internationals; and be an even greater factor when he decides to rejoin the PBA. But another horizon he can look forward to is possibly being the 1st Filipino to play in the NBA as he will be exposed to global basketball scouts, which could have probably weighed heavy in his sudden change of plans. With Smart Gilas, you are allowed to move to greener pastures like the NBA if the opportunity arises. Remember that he did try his luck in NBA camps before joining the Philippine Team.

Aguilar is certainly going to make his mark in history.

CrossOver
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
meron man nagbago, naniniwala ako na bandang huli tama ang naging desisyon "nila" ;D

Schortsanitis
08-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I, for one, feel that Japeth has been relying on hype, and living off other people's imagination about his skill as a basketball player.

He has had mediocre numbers in Ateneo, and at WKU. Sure, he can dunk. And dunk very well. But in the end, you can't play basketball and point to Youtube highlight videos as your only accomplishment.

What's worst, is that all that hype has apparently gone to his head.

As for playing for the country, remember that SBP made him an offer, and he refused, joining the PBA draft instead. Now that he has found something to crow about in the PBA, he comes running back to the SBP.

If I were Torero-man, Eala and MVP, I would have a sit down with Japeth, his Basketball Stage Father, and Ronnie Nathanielsz, and ask them directly: Do you expect me to give you major playing time?

The worry here, is that if for some reason (and that reason is possible, what with Youtube highlight videos as his only accomplishment) Torero-man doesn't give him major playing time, then what? Will he go out bitc..ng about it again?

This incident should put up a warning sign about the kid from hereon.

oca
08-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Nanggagalaiti ang BK dahil they traded key players but is now unable sign up Aguilar.

Sino ang hindi "professional" sa dalawa?

Yung player na inuuna yung interest niya, o yung team na di siniguro ang interest nila?

CrossOver
08-30-2009, 07:14 AM
hindi muna nila hinintay pumirma bago trade yung ibng key players tsk tsk. Similar din to sa Qatar Invitational na pag-praktisan sana ng RP Powerade Team kinansel dahil me team from South America na hindi sigurado if makakapunta nga. Mukang me mali sa management ng BK lols ;D

D_I_A
08-30-2009, 07:57 AM
the best thing to do is for the SBP to hold everything particularly on Aguilar's case. wag munang isali sa line up. try talking with PBA bigwigs para wala sila parehong problema.

baka mamaya gamitin pa ng PBA na pang black mail sa SBP yan pag kinailangan ng SBP ng PBA players to back up the SBP team like Norwood, Dillinger, Williams etc.

this isn't a problem of the SBP kaso baka maipit sila with PBA and Aguilar. i think the person to be blamed here is the Sri Lankan Monkey agent of Aguilar whichi is Nathaniels

gagamitin pa kuno ang Flag and Country, eh pera pera lang naman talaga ang interes ng ahenteng ito. kung talagang para sa bayan, dapat noon pa niya pinasali sa SBP Smart Gilas Team si Aguilar noong talagang sobrang interesado ang SBP sa kanya hindi ngayon na na-draft na sya sa PBA.

oca
08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
the best thing to do is for the SBP to hold everything particularly on Aguilar's case. wag munang isali sa line up. try talking with PBA bigwigs para wala sila parehong problema.

baka mamaya gamitin pa ng PBA na pang black mail sa SBP yan pag kinailangan ng SBP ng PBA players to back up the SBP team like Norwood, Dillinger, Williams etc.

this isn't a problem of the SBP kaso baka maipit sila with PBA and Aguilar. i think the person to be blamed here is the Sri Lankan Monkey agent of Aguilar whichi is Nathaniels

gagamitin pa kuno ang Flag and Country, eh pera pera lang naman talaga ang interes ng ahenteng ito. kung talagang para sa bayan, dapat noon pa niya pinasali sa SBP Smart Gilas Team si Aguilar noong talagang sobrang interesado ang SBP sa kanya hindi ngayon na na-draft na sya sa PBA.

BK was simply stupid to trade players without first signing Aguilar.

That stupidity can't be used by the PBA to black mail the SBP.

Kung pera-pera man ang basehan ng desisyon, lamang sa pera-perang usapan ang BK. Even after a tour of duty with Smart-Gilas, Aguilar will still be covered by the PBA rookie salary cap. By that time, makikita natin kung paano binabarat ang isang veteran internationalist dito sa atin.

BK will forever hold "right" until traded. Now, will anyone disagree with me if I say, "Napakaganda ng future value ng right na yan." ?

As of this moment, BK is not contractually obligated to give Aguilar anything. Not a single centavo, yet, yang "right" na yan ay may halaga.

Lintek, asset yan!

Talagang nagkamali lang ang BK in trading players without first having Aguilar sign on the dotted line.

Ayan, nagmamaktol!

D_I_A
08-30-2009, 09:06 AM

BK was simply stupid to trade players without first signing Aguilar.

That stupidity can't be used by the PBA to black mail the SBP.

Kung pera-pera man ang basehan ng desisyon, lamang sa pera-perang usapan ang BK. Even after a tour of duty with Smart-Gilas, Aguilar will still be covered by the PBA rookie salary cap. By that time, makikita natin kung paano binabarat ang isang veteran internationalist dito sa atin.

BK will forever hold "right" until traded. Now, will anyone disagree with me if I say, "Napakaganda ng future value ng right na yan." ?

As of this moment, BK is not contractually obligated to give Aguilar anything. Not a single centavo, yet, yang "right" na yan ay may halaga.

Lintek, asset yan!

Talagang nagkamali lang ang BK in trading players without first having Aguilar sign on the dotted line.

Ayan, nagmamaktol!

Sapul ika nga.

Na-kidlatan o nakuryente nanaman ang PBA nito. talagang minamalas ang PBA ngayon mga panahon na ito sa ilalim ni Barrio Kid ha.

shyboy
08-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I wonder what would be MVP and Ricky Vargas' advise to Aguilar. Surely they understand where Lito Alvarez is coming from.

oca
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
I wonder what would be MVP and Ricky Vargas' advise to Aguilar. Surely they understand where Lito Alvarez is coming from.

I wonder what would be MVP and Ricky Vargas' advise to....

the handlers of Aguilar. ;D

TruVerde
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Japeth SIGNED his application for the PBA Draft in bad faith and with the intention to commit fraud!

First, he make himself available for the PBA draft and then suddenly making a 360 degrees turnaround, expressing his desire to play for the national team. Burger King already offered him the max contract and would still allow him to play for the national team!

His adviser nathanielsz have been saying that no document have been signed.
WRONG!
Japeth has already signed the documents making himself avalable for the PBA draft. That's very, very unprofessional. Japeth deservrs to be banned from the PBA.

Japeth, the admu bencwarmer!

Japeth, the wku benchwarmer!

Japeth, the FIBA-Asia Tianjin bench warmer!

Japeth would like be his dad, Peter.

Kung ano ang puno, siya din ang bunga!

Peter Aguilar, who?

jmikery
08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Japeth SIGNED his application for the PBA Draft in bad faith and with the intention to commit fraud!

First, he make himself available for the PBA draft and then suddenly making a 360 degrees turnaround, expressing his desire to play for the national team. Burger King already offered him the max contract and would still allow him to play for the national team!

WRONG!
Japeth has already signed the documents making himself avalable for the PBA draft. That's very, very unprofessional. Japeth deservrs to be banned from the PBA.

Peter Aguilar, who?

you cannot prove that he intended to commit fraud. furthermore, what did he stand to gain by joining the draft and not signing? I'm pretty sure that he had a change of heart and that was it, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve punishment but a lifetime ban is too harsh.

p.s. it's 180 degree turn, a 360 going right back to where you were

Schortsanitis
08-30-2009, 08:14 PM
When Japeth applied for the draft, and when BK talked to him, Japeth THEN had every intention of playing for the PBA (at least, that's what he said then). Because of that, BK went on and made plans based on that assumption.

It was a good assumption, they already talked to guy, and he said yes. I heard BK went on to trade off some players to make room for Japeth.

If BK made a mistake, it was because they trusted Japeth Aguilar's word for it.

If Japeth had said then, "nah, I don't want to play for you", then BK would've gone on and gotten somebody else. The point is, BK needs a player NOW, as in this season. Not the next season, or the seasons after that.

Besides, the PBA needs to take a solid stand on this issue to protect the integrity of the draft. Because if they do not, then it would defeat the whole purpose of the draft.

The purpose of the draft, is to spread incoming talents among the weaker teams from the previous season, ensuring a more balanced season when the weaker teams are reinforced by new blood.

But, what will happen, if, say, the next coming years, some players suddenly starts saying, "oh, I don't want to play with Barako Red Bull since they are weak. I want to play with Ginebra, the crowd favorite". And then doesn't go on to sign the contract with the team that drafted him?

In that case, might as well do away with the draft, and just allow direct hiring, so players can come in and play for whatever team they want. And in the process, destroy all mechanism for spreading talent among all the teams.

With this in mind, either they set an example and ban Japeth for life, or do away with the draft altogether, because then players will start demanding to play for this, or that team.

bchoter
08-30-2009, 11:28 PM
What's the implications on Japeth? Isn't it within his rights to refuse an offer? If that happens, will BK retain the right of first refusal within a year?

Joescoundrel
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
What the heck went on between Draft Day and the moment Japeth Aguilar announced he would rather play for Smart Gilas?

Ronnie Nathanielsz has been a basketball insider for the last three decades or so, and I do not believe he did not get some kind of scoop, shared it with the Aguilars, that precipitated this sudden change in Japeth. What could that scoop be though?

If Japeth was not used in Tianjin, that can be explained simply: Yeng Guiao was not about to risk injury, accidental or otherwise, to his then prize pick. I prefer to look at it as the simplest explanation being the real explanation.

I was at a few of the practices of Guiao's Powerade team with Japeth present, and Guiao was all praises for the boy, so I find it hard to believe he would then consciously embarrass him or diss him by benching him in a major FIBA tournament.

How could money be a factor when Japeth ostensibly stands to make more money with the PBA than with Smart Gilas?

Could the international exposure-leading-to the NBA explanation still be it? Perhaps, and again, maybe that is the simplest explanation that is the real explanation.

If I were Japeth though I'd just stick it out with the PBA. He is nowhere near international-ready, not with his game now.

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

insulares
08-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Truth is Japeth had flu in Tianjin and might be quarantined

By Nelson Beltran
August 31, 2009

MANILA, Philippines - Now it can be told. Japeth Aguilar suffered the flu two days into the Tianjin FIBA-Asia championship, a major factor causing him not to play much in the Asian meet.

Coach Yeng Guiao and the team concealed the problem for fear Aguilar – or the entire team – might be quarantined. Guiao instead just made it appear that Aguilar was slightly injured.

Aguilar started for the team in their first game against Sri Lanka and played a total of 25:21, longer than the playing minutes of Asi Taulava, Sonny Thoss and Mick Pennisi.

He went 6-of-12 from the field and finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds in that game but got sick the morning after, forcing him to miss their next two games against Japan and Korea.

His status was day-to-day after the RP-Sri Lanka game.

With special care from team therapist Marlon Celis and a three-day rest including the break on Aug. 9, Aguilar was back in action on Aug. 10 against Chinese Taipei but he appeared soft, missing a field-goal attempt and committing one foul and one turnover in four minutes and 57 seconds of playing time.

His playing time doubled in their next game against Iran but, like Taulava, Thoss and Pennisi, he just couldn’t handle 7-foot-3 behemoth Hamed Ehadadi. He was 0-of-2 from the field, barely contributing two assists and one rebound.

He was back in the starting lineup against Kuwait, again playing significant minutes and responding with nine points and four rebounds as they braced for their quarterfinals.

Keeping Aguilar on the bench in their quarterfinals match with Jordan, Guiao later said he’s yet to have that much trust on the young player to be used in that kind of game.

Powerade RP bowed to Jordan, 70-81, thus, missing a shot at the semifinals.

Aguilar was again back in action against Qatar in the next game, playing a little over 17 minutes but couldn’t make his presence felt as the Nationals were beaten, 65-83.

Analyzing things, Aguilar had his chance to show what he could do but he is, as yet, not ready to be a major force in a tourney as big as the Asian meet.

Guiao was convinced, though, that Aguilar would have his time.

The Powerade RP mentor is still puzzled why the player suddenly turned his back on him.

“He even asked me when he will start practicing with Burger King. I told him Monday. He didn’t come and, now, he’s not answering my calls,” said Guiao.

“The sad part was that he changed his mind without even consulting me. He didn’t have a one word of complaint in the close to one month we were together with the (Powerade) team,” added Guiao.

Guiao said the player he gambled on for inclusion in the Powerade-Team Pilipinas and made the top pick overall in the draft “is getting bad advice.”

“It’s a case of wanting too much too soon,” said Guiao.

“Ang expectations nila (Aguilar camp) napakataas na hindi pa naman kaya ng bata. Kaya nga sinabi kung he will be the next dominant big man because he hasn’t earned the full title yet. He’s still a work in progress.”

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=501005&publicationSubCategoryId=69

oca
08-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Paano ba yan, Pareng Schort', si Guiao na mismo ang nagsabi, "hindi pa naman kaya ng bata", at ito ay, "work in progress".

Tutol ka ba pag may nagsabing, "BK doesn't need him now, not this season." ? ;)

Kidding aside, I don't think this "act of Japeth" breaches the "intergrity of the PBA draft".

First, I am of the opinion, this case of Japeth is an isolated one and will never happen again. I say this because, now, PBA teams will no longer be stupid to trade players and overhaul their line-ups without first having the signature of the player around whom they intend to build a new team. Yes, BK was that stupid.

Second, may integrity ba ng isang proceso na kontrolado ang presyuhan ng contrata? Re: rookie salary cap. The PBA acts very much like a cartel. Since when did we associate the term "integrity" with cartels?

Third, wala naman kasing saysay ang Player's Union, at di nila maprotektuhan ang kapakanan ng mga players. Kaya hayaan na natin ang individual na magpasya kung ano sa inaakala niya ang makakabuti sa kanya.

Kung mali, that player alone will suffer the consequences. As for the PBA team affected, nandyan naman ang mga kaututang-dila niya para damayan siya.

joelex
08-31-2009, 07:19 AM
There shouldnt be any relation between the way BK shapes up their roster and the sudden change of heart by Japeth. Even if BK still had Arwind Santos and the rest of their star players before, Japeth still acted in bad faith and that action is independent of whatever assumptions we have on how BK wants to build up their roster.

oca
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Let's not be naive. It's not as if the right to pick first was to be negotiated yet when the trades were consummated. Bk owns that pick and Japeth is available, hence, Japeth and the build up are not independent of each other.

But I agree, if he has given his word that he will play for BK, Japeth is in bad faith.

Still, I will never take it against any player if he has a change of heart before he signs on the dotted line.

Just as applying for the draft signifies player's intent to play in the league, a PBA team picking a player from the draft reveals the team's intent to sign the player. But just as many drafted players never get to sign a contract, I will not take it against a player if he decides not to sign that contract.

But, again, I believe this is an isolated case. Its uniqueness is what is generating this discussions. But as to its bearing on the draft process, palabra de honor, etc; the more this issue is discussed the more the interested readers will see how uneven the terms are between players and the PBA teams.

Players have little or no leverage at all in these "negotiations". Completed or not. Fruitful or not.

paul0220
08-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Just asking, is the PBA's draft rules different from the NBA where a player drafted by a team can opt not to sign with that team during the his draft year like the cases of European players in the NBA but the team still retains the rights to that player for a certain number of years..if there is, would it apply to Japeth instead of immediately giving him a lifetime ban for not signing with BK..

Because he did not sign with BK to defarud them by signing with another team.. he is signing with the national team, he wants to remain an amateur.. besides they are now saying he is not quite ready to dominate, so why not allow him to hone his skills with the national team and sign him when he is ready to dominate.. what have they got to lose, he will be honing his skills without a single cost to them.. Perhaps he is ready to dominate.. besides trading/transferring players is a common occurrence with BK so it should not be a good reason to be used in sour graping of Japeth not signing with them just yet.

joelex
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Actually the more pressing issue here is the silence of the SBP group on this matter. Puwede namang mag palabas ng statement na tuparin ni Japeth ang kanyang pangako. Pero dahil sila ang mag bebenispisyo, ayun nanahimik.

I know players also have every right and shouldn't be blamed if they suddenly decide on not signing with the team that drafted him. But the issue of Japeth is he was already in the middle of a tug of war between the PBA and Smart Gilas way before the PBA draft, so clearly ample time was already there for the player to decide what's best for him. Bakit kinailangang antayin pa ang draft, tapusin ang FIBA-Asia, umuwi pa ng US, para magbago ng isip? Para bagang naglolokohan tayo nito?

Wala namang problema kung gusto nya mag laro para kay Toroman, kung ganun bakit pa papadraft sa tinagal tagal ng oras para pwd mag desisyon. Hindi naman puwede lahat mag aadjust para lang sa kanya.

Ngayon na tinalikuran na lang nya ang kanyang sinabi, dapat lang din may parusa dyaan at hindi puwedeng mapabayaan lamang. Maaaring lifetime ban o hindi, basta dapat maturuan ng leksyon.

Joescoundrel
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
For bad faith to exist, the laws of this country say the one making such accusation prove the bad faith, i.e. there is real documentary / physical / testimonial evidence proving such bad faith. Good luck with that.

As Oca already said, since Japeth Aguilar had not yet signed a contract of any sort with Burger King, no contractual relationship existed, and hence no obligations were yet created on BOTH sides.

I would also agree with another sentiment here: If a PBA team can draft a player (albeit in the second round) and not sign him, why are we so offended that a player drafted is not going to sign with the team that drafted him?

If a PBA team has the right to draft and not sign a player, then on simple equity should a player not have the equal right not to sign with a team that drafted him?

What I personally do not take kindly to in this case is that it seems Japeth and his family are being given all sorts of advice that have put them squarely in the center of a big controversy. I cannot blame Peter Aguilar for being so easily swayed: Pedro is not exactly a genius, and his street mentality has remained with him all these years, so it is not the hardest thing for people of some perceived influence, i.e. Ronnie Nathanielsz, to sell them any cockamamie idea.

oca
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Actually, kung ako BK, I will not ask for heavy sanctions against Japeth. I have made a tender, hence, I hold that "right" over Japeth. Asset na yan. It will appreciate in value at wala naman akong binibitawang pera. Tutal si Guiao na rin ang nagsabi mismo na "hilaw" pa ang bata. Eh, di pahinugan na ng di gumagastos.

Hawakan ko lang ang "right" na yan, after 1 tour of duty with Smart-Gilas, I will have a better and polished player for the prize of a rookie. Yes, existing PBA rules will still put Japeth under the rookie salary cap!

Galing di ba!

Yun nga lang, sa ngayon, sabog talaga line-up ko! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nagmaktol lang agad ang BK kaya naging ganito ang takbo ng kwento. Dapat talaga, pag may gusot na bumungad sa harapan mo, huwag ka agad magngangangawa. Hinga ng malalim at mag-isip bago magsalita o kumilos.

Joescoundrel
08-31-2009, 10:10 AM
It certainly does not help that Ronnie Nathanielsz is seen and has been highly supportive of the SBP since its inception; he has been very vocal about being anti-Graham Lim / anti-old BAP, and has often expressed all out support for the SBP. This throws more fuel onto the fire of speculation that the SBP might be behind Japeth Aguilar's sudden change of heart.

Joescoundrel
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
I wonder if and when I can get an exclusive interview with Japeth Aguilar to clear this up. I certainly would not mind having Ronnie Nathanielsz there as well.

Paging Japeth, Ronnie, Yeng Guiao and SBP! Text or call me! ;D

D_I_A
08-31-2009, 10:38 AM
It certainly does not help that Ronnie Nathanielsz is seen and has been highly supportive of the SBP since its inception; he has been very vocal about being anti-Graham Lim / anti-old BAP, and has often expressed all out support for the SBP. This throws more fuel onto the fire of speculation that the SBP might be behind Japeth Aguilar's sudden change of heart.

i don't think so, this Sri Lankan monkey has been known as a BAP lackey since SBP's founding but only recent that he has switch loyalty after realizing that resistance is futile and he has more to gain with SBP. Realizing SBP has the financial backing of MVP, Nokia , Tao Corporation and other corporate sponsors this fella has started to become a sucker of the SBP.

i think Nathanielz should be banned and not Aguilar.

Schortsanitis
08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Paano ba yan, Pareng Schort', si Guiao na mismo ang nagsabi, "hindi pa naman kaya ng bata", at ito ay, "work in progress".

Tutol ka ba pag may nagsabing, "BK doesn't need him now, not this season." ? ;)

Depends on what level Yeng was expecting of this kid.

'Hindi pa nya kaya' could mean 'hindi pa niya kaya mag MVP caliber, but could help his team.

Kidding aside, I don't think this "act of Japeth" breaches the "intergrity of the PBA draft".

First, I am of the opinion, this case of Japeth is an isolated one and will never happen again. I say this because, now, PBA teams will no longer be stupid to trade players and overhaul their line-ups without first having the signature of the player around whom they intend to build a new team. Yes, BK was that stupid.

Nope, I don't think so. Who'd want to play for Barako Red Bull now, with their financial problems, and reports they have not paid their players on time?

What's to keep the next big player from saying, "Nah, I want to play with Ginebra, or SMB, because they are winning teams, not losers like the one who drafted me".

Second, may integrity ba ng isang proceso na kontrolado ang presyuhan ng contrata? Re: rookie salary cap. The PBA acts very much like a cartel. Since when did we associate the term "integrity" with cartels?

Third, wala naman kasing saysay ang Player's Union, at di nila maprotektuhan ang kapakanan ng mga players. Kaya hayaan na natin ang individual na magpasya kung ano sa inaakala niya ang makakabuti sa kanya.

Kung mali, that player alone will suffer the consequences. As for the PBA team affected, nandyan naman ang mga kaututang-dila niya para damayan siya.

Perhaps there are irregularities, but you need solid proof to back it up. Otherwise, it is just speculation and intrigue.

That is why I am in favor in banning the kid for life, to set an example.

Schortsanitis
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
If a PBA team has the right to draft and not sign a player, then on simple equity should a player not have the equal right not to sign with a team that drafted him?

Just a correction on this: Any team that drafts a player MUST give an offer to the player within a certain amount of time, I think four days. If the team does NOT give an offer sheet, then the player will become a FREE AGENT, who can be hired by any team, and also will not need to get any permission from the drafting team before doing so.

In short, the drafting team FORFEITS its rights to the player, if they do not offer a contract.

Schortsanitis
08-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Actually, kung ako BK, I will not ask for heavy sanctions against Japeth. I have made a tender, hence, I hold that "right" over Japeth. Asset na yan. It will appreciate in value at wala naman akong binibitawang pera. Tutal si Guiao na rin ang nagsabi mismo na "hilaw" pa ang bata. Eh, di pahinugan na ng di gumagastos.

Hawakan ko lang ang "right" na yan, after 1 tour of duty with Smart-Gilas, I will have a better and polished player for the prize of a rookie. Yes, existing PBA rules will still put Japeth under the rookie salary cap!

You never exactly know 'kung kelan hihinog ang bata.' It might be this conference, or the next conference, etc.

Also, for all we know, Yeng might've just been conservative in his estimates to keep the pressure off the kid, and let him develop along naturally.

Schortsanitis
08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
But, again, I believe this is an isolated case. Its uniqueness is what is generating this discussions. But as to its bearing on the draft process, palabra de honor, etc; the more this issue is discussed the more the interested readers will see how uneven the terms are between players and the PBA teams.

Well, that's you opinion, but I think its the contrary once a precedent is set. Once you allow somebody off, then I for one could think of excuses for players not to play for their mother teams, and play for another team instead.

'Ang masama pa dyan, di malayong magkaroon ng sulutan,' as in, 'pre, ayaw mo dyan? Magsasara na raw yang kumpanyang iyan. Dito ka sa amin, stable at kelangan ka namin dito.'

I mean, I myself could think of ways and excuses for players to transfer to another team other than the one that got him.

shyboy
08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
This was Aguilar's statement per Philstar article when he joined the draft:

“It’s a family decision. It’s for my future. We’ve thought it’s better for me to join the PBA now,” said Japeth, son of former national and pro player Peter.

“My parents have thought I would be better off here than in the (United) States. We felt I would earn more in the PBA with my salary there and possible endorsements,” said Aguilar.

And when he was drafted by Burger King, he gave his verbal commitment to them. In the Philstar article today...

“He even asked me when he will start practicing with Burger King. I told him Monday. He didn’t come and, now, he’s not answering my calls,” said Guiao.

“The sad part was that he changed his mind without even consulting me. He didn’t have a one word of complaint in the close to one month we were together with the (Powerade) team,” added Guiao.

Nakipag-usap na siya with Burger King. Binigay ang gusto niya to play both for Burger King and Smart-Gilas. Ayos, pabor sa kanya. Walang problema sa sweldo, dalawang sweldo pa nga. Nagkasundo na sila, though verbally. Nagtanong siya kung kelan practice ng Burger King. Di sumipot, biglang tatalikod sa usapan. Ano ba naman yan?

He initially played for Smart-Gilas in Las Vegas, then moved to PBA-Powerade, then decided to join the PBA, and now wants back at Smart-Gilas. All this in just 4 months. Ano ba naman yan?

oca
08-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Well, that's you opinion, but I think its the contrary once a precedent is set. Once you allow somebody off, then I for one could think of excuses for players not to play for their mother teams, and play for another team instead.

'Ang masama pa dyan, di malayong magkaroon ng sulutan,' as in, 'pre, ayaw mo dyan? Magsasara na raw yang kumpanyang iyan. Dito ka sa amin, stable at kelangan ka namin dito.'

I mean, I myself could think of ways and excuses for players to transfer to another team other than the one that got him.

Nagtaka ako biglang humaba ang thread, yun pala hinimay mo ang mga posts ko. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

At the end of the day, we are all here to share what's in our minds. Palitan ng opinion, kuro-kuro, haka-haka, interpretasyon, pananaw, saloobin.

I went over my posts on this topic at yun na ang kabuuan ng maibabahagi ko sa usapan. I will leave it at that, pero may isang pahabol...

Imo, Japeth will not be banned and later, pakikinabangan ng BK ang "rights" nila over Japeth.

Abangan natin ang mga susunod na pangyayari.

atenean_blooded
08-31-2009, 10:30 PM

WRONG!

Peter Aguilar, who?

Utang na loob, may nalaman pang bad faith bad faith at "intention to commit fraud!" ;D ::)

If you break the situation down, sure, Japeth signed documents to enter the PBA draft. He did. Obligation discharged on his part. A team chose him. Obligation discharged.

Now, as for perfecting a contract TO PLAY in the PBA (as opposed to an agreement to enter the PBA Draft), that hasn't happened. Following Oca's analysis, it can still happen.

And yes, a 360 turn does make you end up where you are. :)

atenean_blooded
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM

"Fire your handlers, think about it, and make your decision," probably.

D_I_A
08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
‘I want to play for national team’ — Japeth

09/01/2009

Daily Tribune

"I’ve made up my mind; I want to play for Smart Gilas. It was really my intention to play for the national team ever since I flew back here to the Philippines after I graduated in the United States."

Thus said Japeth Aguilar yesterday as he formally decided to forego his future professional basketball career in favor of playing for Smart Gilas national team aiming for an ambitious slot in the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

According to the 6-foot-10 former Western Kentucky University player, he is willing to suffer the consequences of being banned for life in the PBA, adding "if I have to play in the national team forever, I would accept it."

Aguilar, who is the son of former Northern Consolidated player Peter Aguilar, is said to be a rare "breed" of Filipino behemoth who has the distinct agility very rarely could be seen in a Filipino tall player. Some of the tall Filipino players who made it to the PBA in the past were not as agile as Aguilar are 7-foot-1 EJ Fheil, 6-foot-9 Marlou Aquino, Bonel Balingit among others.

His advent in the local basketball scene created big excitement, especially for the Philippine Basketball Association that has been drawing attraction not from pure Filipino players.

Aguilar — the only amateur in the RP team that competed in the Fiba-Asia qualifying tournament in Tianjin, China last month — was accompanied by his agent-manager and journalist Ronnie Nathanielz in the press conference held hours before he flew to the United States.

In his first formal appearance before the media since PBA chairman and Burger King team manager Lito Alvarez revealed Aguilar’s decision last week, Aguilar said he feels apologetic to the people, the PBA fans — specially coach Yeng Guiao — who would be shocked by his decision.

"I’ll probably say sorry I want to thank him for all the things he’d done to me," said Aguilar.

The delicate matter will naturally be the subsequent subject of discussion in the looming PBA board meeting, although governors reportedly have already made up their minds, too, to "teach" Aguilar "a lesson."

Alvarez, whose Burger King team is the biggest casualty in the decision, called Aguilar’s decisions a "mockery" of league rules.

"I don’t know the rules but if the PBA decides to ban me I can’t do anything about it," Aguilar said.

rabbaddal
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
As many parties have already noted, Japeth was originally slated to join Gilas but jumped over the the PBA as soon as he got back from the States. Note that this was almost the same time period that other Gilas prospects like Menor and DLSU's Rico either ditched or refrained from Gilas and jumped over to the PBA as well, which leads me to suspect that there are people who are out to sabotage the Gilas program - one way is by suffocating it of talent. Just look at who Gilas' most recent critics are and see where they're affiliated with.

john_paul_manahan
09-01-2009, 12:44 AM
the classic club or country argument.

i always want to play for my country, but a balance must be met. i hope japeth made the right decision.

D_I_A
09-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Spare Japeth, ban advisers
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) Updated September 01, 2009 12:00 AM

The uproar over Japeth Aguilar’s reported refusal to play in the PBA after he applied for the draft and was picked first overall by Burger King is understandable. It’s like the 22-year-old wunderkind took the 34-year-old PBA for a ride, basked in the glory of becoming the league’s first overall draft choice and now is declaring free agency.

You can’t blame the PBA for crying foul. Aguilar hogged the spotlight in the recent PBA draft and nearly wept when commissioner Sonny Barrios officially declared him the year’s top overall pick. A dream come true was how Aguilar described his ascension to the pro ranks.

But Aguilar has since changed his tune. He’s been offered the maximum three-year contract by Burger King, leaving no room for negotiation, and the former Western Kentucky reserve center isn’t signing.

Under PBA rules, a drafted player who doesn’t come to terms with the team that has his rights will sit out a year. He will sit out another year if he still fails to reach an agreement with the same team. On the third year, he will be allowed to reenlist in the draft. The consolation of the team that held his rights is he will not have played for any other team for two years.

In Aguilar’s case, the PBA is considering a lifetime ban or at least a severe penalty. The rules don’t stipulate such a penalty but Barrios has the discretion to lower the boom on Aguilar for reneging on his commitment to play in the PBA.

“The PBA rules allowing for a two-year sit-out do not apply to Japeth because this is not a case of negotiation since he has been offered the maximum terms,” said a PBA insider. “We never forced Japeth to apply for the draft but he did. With his application comes a commitment to play. He was drafted first overall, an honor for any player, and for Japeth to now refuse to play in the PBA is a slap on the face of a league that is an institution.”

Some PBA Board members chastised Aguilar for making a mockery of the league because of his turnaround.

However, is Aguilar really to blame? Remember, he’s just a kid. His father Peter, a former PBA cager, is in Chicago and unable to appreciate the circumstances surrounding the case.

When Aguilar joined the Smart-Gilas tryouts in Las Vegas last summer, he gained the vote of confidence from Serbian coach Rajko Toroman who described him as the country’s best big man prospect by far. Aguilar subsequently told Toroman he wanted to play for Smart-Gilas and would delay his application for the PBA draft.

Toroman said Aguilar hardly saw action for Western Kentucky the last two years and the 6-9 prospect needed to gain more court experience before entering the pros.

Then, Aguilar arrived in Manila and was surrounded by advisers who promised the PBA they would deliver the kid to the league. The advisers swore they meant well and only had Aguilar’s best interests in mind.

To warm up Aguilar for the PBA, national coach Yeng Guiao brought him to Taipei to play for the Powerade squad at the Jones Cup. Aguilar later joined the national team in Tianjin for the FIBA-Asia Championships.

It was during the Tianjin tournament that reality dawned on Aguilar. His eyes were opened to the bottom line that he’s not ready to go to war in the pros. Because of his lack of competitive exposure, Aguilar would be easy prey for the likes of Jay-R Reyes, Kerby Raymundo, Sonny Thoss, Asi Taulava and even a hardened rookie like Rico Maierhofer in the PBA.

Aguilar must have realized he listened to the wrong advisers. He was clearly misled. In Las Vegas, it seemed certain he would join Smart-Gilas and postpone his entry into the PBA. But shortly after he landed in Manila and spoke with his “well-meaning” advisers, he changed his mind.

If Aguilar had maliciously and deviously plotted to snub the PBA, then maybe he deserves a lifetime ban. But it’s evident that he never meant to malign the PBA. He was misled into thinking he was ready for the pros by advisers who like to present themselves as righteous and sincere. Surely, the PBA can’t be harsh on a kid who made a serious mistake in finding his basketball career path. Instead of detractors ganging up on Aguilar, his advisers should be lined up against the wall in front of a firing squad.

Aguilar has a tremendous upside and will someday be a dominant force in the PBA but not right now. In two or three years, he will be ready for the PBA and be a valuable asset. At the moment, Aguilar is better off learning the ropes from Toroman and playing for Smart-Gilas. In the end, the PBA will benefit from this maturing process.

If Aguilar is forced to play in the PBA and doesn’t impress, the effect will be damaging to his career. Of course, he may prove this theory wrong by dominating as a rookie but that’s not likely.

Meanwhile, there is the matter of compensating Burger King which has Aguilar’s signing rights in the PBA. Perhaps, to ease the pain of his withdrawal, Burger King could be compensated by a team that’s willing to take a chance on Aguilar as a future project. That way, Burger King doesn’t walk away empty-handed unless the Whoppers choose to keep his rights and wait for further developments.

If Aguilar is convinced he isn’t ready for the PBA and would like more court experience with Smart-Gilas, the humane thing to do is to let the kid do his thing. He shouldn’t be branded for life but encouraged to learn from this mistake. He should also be more discerning in listening to advisers who pretend to be well-meaning.

By the way, a similar case involved Danny Ferry in the 1989 NBA draft. He was picked second overall by the Los Angeles Clippers but refused to play for the team. Ferry spurned the Clippers and played a season in the Italian league. The Clippers soon gave up on Ferry and traded his rights to the Cleveland Cavs who signed the center a year later.

Note that the NBA didn’t slap a lifetime ban on Ferry even if the former Duke star applied for the draft and was actually picked.

In Aguilar’s case, maybe Talk ‘N’ Talk could trade for his rights. Because of common ownership with Smart-Gilas, the Tropang Texters may choose to sit out Aguilar and allow him to play for Toroman. This way, Burger King is compensated via the trade, Aguilar gets his wish to gain more court experience outside the PBA, Smart-Gilas is reinforced by a major recruit and the PBA still keeps Aguilar in its rolls through Talk ‘N’ Text.

D_I_A
09-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Country’s colors
beckon to Japeth
Malaya

9/1/2009

JAPETH Aguilar’s obsession with the national team is far from over and could only be quenched with another stint in one.

That is why he said he is foregoing an immediate stint with Burger King in the PBA and will try his luck getting a slot in the Smart Gilas team that has as goal the 2012 London Olympics.

"My decision is really a desire to help the country fight for a slot to the London Olympics," said the 6-foot-9 player yesterday during a special press conference held at the Kamayan-EDSA.

Aguilar added his decision was arrived at following his stint with the Powerade-Team Pilipinas that wound up eighth in the recent FIBA-Asia Championship in Tianjin, China.

"We can beat the other teams but we were not ready since the team lacked chemistry and cohesion," related the 22-year-old, who was accompanied by personal agent Ronnie Nathanielsz, sister Micah and his uncle Alexander Vestal and his wife Tess.

"My teammates and I badly wanted to win and we were all disappointed as much as everybody that we couldn’t get the job done," he added.

"I made the decision that I wanted to play again for the national team and help the Philippines regain its respect in the world sport."

Aguilar denied reports that he was unhappy being benched by national coach Yeng Guiao in Tianjin. "Sanay na tayo diyan," replied the man who spent more time in the sidelines than on-court during his two-year stint with Western Kentucky U in the US NCAA Division I.

"It has nothing to do with coach Yeng. Do I think that Gilas would have performed better in Tianjin? Hindi natin masabi yan. Different team and different coach," he pointed out.

"Powerade’s mission is done. It’s Smart Gilas’ turn."

Aguilar stirred a hornet’s nest by refusing to sign a contract with Burger King that made him the top pick overall in the PBA draft.

He is set to fly to the United States last night for a two-week vacation. He is also set to visit his Chicago-based parents and drop by his WKU alma mater to visit his fiancée, Jessica Magley, who plays forward for the Hilltoppers’ women’s basketball team. The two are scheduled to tie the knot next year.

When he returns, Aguilar hopes that the current row with the PBA would have been settled and that he can work out a contract with Smart Gilas. When asked if he is worried about being banned in the PBA, Aguilar shrugged and said, "I hope not. Sana hindi. Right now I just want to play for the country."

CrossOver
09-01-2009, 07:48 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/MB_Logo.png

I want to play for RP
Aguilar says joining PBA draft a mistake
By WAYLON GALVEZ
August 31, 2009, 7:44pm

http://www.mb.com.ph/sites/default/files/Untitled-12_10.jpg

Celebrated amateur Japeth Aguilar Monday said he wants to play for Smart-Gilas national team and is ready to face a possible lifetime ban from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Aguilar, the 22-year-old son of former PBA player Peter, said he’s sorry that he can’t sign up with Burger King, the team that made him the top pick in the recent PBA Rookie Draft.

“I mean... probably it was a mistake (to join the PBA draft),” the 6-foot-10 Aguilar said in press conference held at the Kamayan Restaurant in EDSA. “I’m sorry (to Burger King and the PBA) for my decision.”

Aguilar’s change of heart has drawn a sharp rebuke from Burger King representative and incoming PBA chairman Lito Alvarez who wants the former Blue Eagle banned for life from the league.

“If that’s their decision, wala ako magagawa. Kung ban ako siguro sa national team na lang ako mag-lalaro (in the future),” said Aguilar who was accompanied by sports columnist Ronnie Nathanielz.

Aguilar said his decision to stay as amateur had nothing to do with his limited playing time in the recent FIBA-Asia championship in Tianjin, China.

“Sa puso ko talaga, ‘yun talaga ang gusto ko. I don’t know what my critics are saying,” Aguilar said. “But after graduating, gusto ko talaga maglaro for my country. I already consulted my family and they are supporting me.”

His parents, Peter and Josephine, are based in Chicago, Illinois.

Money is not an issue, according to Aguilar.

After his stint in Tianjin, Aguilar said he realized that he can improve more playing international basketball as a member of the national team.

The Smart-Gilas squad, mentored by Serbian Rajko Toroman, is slated to play a number of international tournaments leading up to its goal of qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics.

Aguilar had turned down the offer of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) similar to the three-year, P8.7 million deal from Burger King.

But Nathanielz, who represents Aguilar, said he expects the SBP to renew its offer.

There is no provision in the PBA charter banning a player for refusing to sign up with the team that drafted him, according to Nathanielz.

Nathanielz said that if the league amends its by-laws and constitution, “it’s not retroactive.”

The veteran columnist-turned agent said there are remedies to the issue.

He said that Aguilar can sit out the first year, and Burger King can renegotiate after the season. If there’s no deal, he can sit out anew in the second year and then renegotiate at the end of the season.

If again the two camps fail to reach an agreement, the player becomes eligible for the 2012 PBA Rookie Draft.

Aguilar was set to fly to the United States last night to visit his parents as well as fiancée Jessica Magley, whom he plans to marry next year.

The two met at Western Kentucky University, where Aguilar played the last three years. Magley, who stands 5-foot-11, also played college ball.

Aguilar said playing in the PBA after his stint with the national team remains an option. He’s also eyeing a possible stint in the Euro league or the NBA developmental league.

Aguilar is hoping that the PBA will allow him to play for Smart-Gilas in the coming PBA season.

Alvarez and Burger King coach Yeng Guiao could not be reached for comment. Calls to PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios were not answered.

MB (http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/218538/i-want-play-rp)

CrossOver
09-01-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/templates/businessmirror1.0/images/logo.gif

PBA left up in the air
By Rick Olivares & Joel Orellana
Monday, 31 August 2009 23:25

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/Daily_Images/2009/September/09012009/sports-pic04.jpg

JAPETH AGUILAR left on Monday night for what he said was a two-week vacation in the US, but not without trying to lessen the negative impact of his refusal to sign with Burger King in favor of a slot on the Smart Gilas national developmental squad.

Aguilar, the six-foot-10 No. 1 pick in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) draft, sat before a press conference attended only by a few invited members of the media.

With him were his sister Micah, uncle Alexander Vestal and his wife Tess, and Ronnie Nathanielsz, a sportswriter and broadcaster who is also his agent.

Aguilar was stingy with his words and Nathanielsz did most of the talking, especially on his supposed contract with Burger King.

Burger King’s representative to the PBA, Lito Alvarez, has offered Aguilar “a maximum contract with the provision that he will be loaned out to Gilas,” something Nathanielsz disputed.

“The PBA’s rules state that a player cannot be loaned to the national team or anywhere when the season is in progress? Who are we to stop a young man from serving his country? And you cannot play for two clubs at the same time?” said Nathanielsz.

Aguilar has earlier stressed he wanted to play for flag and country all along.

“I wanted the chance to play for the Philippines in the Fiba-Asia Championships and feel the pride that comes from playing for my country,” he said in a statement over the weekend.

“Unfortunately it didn’t go too well. But having seen firsthand what it was like, how the teams from the Middle East played and the system they followed, I felt the challenge to try again and to take them on, confident that we could surely do better the next time with hard work, dedication and the willingness to sacrifice and learn.

“The only way I can achieve this goal is by playing for the Smart Gilas development team under coach Rajko Toroman, provided, of course, that they accept me [since] I had initially decided to enter the PBA annual draft.”

When asked, however, if he or Nathanielsz have been in touch with Smart Gilas, both unequivocally said no.

“Not since Las Vegas,” emphasized Nathanielsz, referring to a Las Vegas training stint of the Gilas squad.

Nathanielsz also clarified that “the composition of the national team [to Tianjin] by virtue of the PBA’s involvement is that it must be an all-pro lineup. So the only way for Japeth to join them was to be drafted.”

While in the US, Aguilar said he will drop by his alma mater, the University of Kentucky, to visit his fiancée, Jessica Magley, who plays forward for the school’s women’s basketball team. The two are getting married next year.

Who’s really in charge of Japeth?

A GROUP led by Dondon Monteverde, is said to own the right to represent Japeth Aguilar in his basketball career.

The BusinessMirror learned that Monteverde’s group is now working on how to regain control of the No. 1 draft pick and one option is to bring the matter to court.

Aguilar is said to have signed a contract with Monteverde during his Ateneo days. The two parties agreed to further their deal after Aguilar has completed his stint with Western Kentucky. It is illegal to deal with players while they are still actively playing for their respective schools in the US.

But after Tianjin, the BusinessMirror learned Aguilar never got back with Monteverde’s group. Instead, he came out with sports columnist Ronnie Nathanielsz acting as his agent.

Aguilar’s deal with Burger King was supposed to be a maximum three-year, P8.7-million contract.

Burger King team manager and incoming board chairman Lito Alvarez said they will elevate the case to the PBA board and if Aguilar still refuses to sign, he will be sanctioned by the league.

Monteverde, son of Regal Films owner Lily Monteverde, is the agent of PBA stars James Yap of Purefoods Tender Juicy, Arwind Santos now of San Miguel Beer, Ken Bono now also of Coca-Cola and Joe Devance of Alaska, among others.

Barrios: Japeth should decide for himself

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios urged Aguilar to speak out and settle the issue.

He stressed that Aguilar should realize the commitment he made, both to the club and to the league, when he applied for the PBA draft and was drafted No. 1 by Burger King.

“I think Japeth should also come out and not let his manager or agent do most of the talking and decision-making,” said Barrios. “He’s already of legal age and he knows what’s right from wrong.”

“If the contract is the basis of Aguilar’s agent in saying that the player has no commitment with both the PBA and Burger King, he is right,” said Barrios.

“However, it is different when you say that he has no commitment with the PBA when he applied for the draft and no commitment with Burger King when the team made him the No. 1 pick. I think also important here is being fair with the PBA and the team that picked the player, especially he’s the top overall pick of the draft,” he added.

Burger King head coach Yeng Guiao said Aguilar will be key in the team’s hunt for its first PBA crown and for his first All-Filipino title.

Alvarez told the BusinessMirror the league will review the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) charter to clarify the PBA’s participation in the federation’s affairs, especially with the fielding of teams to major international competitions.

Alvarez said the league is now bent on digging deep into SBP’s bylaws because league officials believe they are committed to help the country in its international basketball campaign.

The move, according to Alvarez, is part of their effort to “save” the career of Japeth Aguilar.

“This issue has a lot of ‘what ifs.’ What if the PBA still wants to represent our country in international competitions?” asked Alvarez.

The PBA has decided the Tianjin campaign would be the last time it would involve itself in the formation of the national team.

“Ginagawang pawn si Japeth sa issue. Kawawa ‘yung player. And his agent [Ronnie Nathanielsz] must keep an open mind dahil career ni Japeth ang nakataya dito,” said Alvarez.

Alvarez added Smart Gilas’s participation in the coming Philippine Cup is also in jeopardy because the PBA has yet to receive a formal communication from the SBP on the matter.

[i]
BusinessMirror (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/sports/15383-pba-left-up-in-the-air.html)

Joescoundrel
09-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Just a correction on this: Any team that drafts a player MUST give an offer to the player within a certain amount of time, I think four days. If the team does NOT give an offer sheet, then the player will become a FREE AGENT, who can be hired by any team, and also will not need to get any permission from the drafting team before doing so.

In short, the drafting team FORFEITS its rights to the player, if they do not offer a contract.

Short, so it is true after all: just because a player gets drafted, it does not mean he will automatically get a contract. Given your explanation above, there is no actual "must" for the drafting team, they may or may not tender an offer to a drafted player.

If this be so, then shouldn't players also have the right not to sign with the team that drafted them? Why should the drafting team have the right not to sign a player while players do not have the right to refuse to sign with a given team?

Again, given your explanation, it seems Burger King can thus choose NOT to sign Japeth Aguilar. In reality of course this we all know they are dying to sign him. But going back to your explanation, they may choose not to sign him after all, thus making him a free agent.

If Burger King has that right, I am of the opinion that players - such as in this case Aguilar - should have the equal right to choose not to sign with the team that drafted them.

Joescoundrel
09-01-2009, 11:47 AM
God bless Ronnie Nathanielsz, as he always knows his stuff and never lets anything get in the way of a good commission.

So according to him the PBA itself does not have any provision that bans players for refusing to sign with teams that draft them. Naturally, even if they make amendments those cannot be retroactive if it will adversely affect a player. Those are simple and long-standing legal principles.

No way can a board resolution impose a ban then, since as a legitimate corporation they cannot carry out board resolutions that run contrary to their own charter.

oca
09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Kung di pwede ang ban, ano ang pwedeng course of action ng BK? ;D

Or, if BK wishes to be more circumspect about this, we can rephrase that and say "What's their remedy ?". ::)

oca
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
After reading all the relevant news on the papers today, mas naiintindihan ko na ang sukdulang pagmamaktol ng BK. They will lose all their rights over Japeth if they can't sign him to a contract within 2 years. Literally, they'll be holding an empty bag after 2 years. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Possible aggravating that is, if Nathanielsz has read all the relevant provisions in the PBA rule book and interpreted them correctly, wala nang habol ang BK. Though that may seem improbable knowing the all-boys club mentality of the PBA, still, they have to act within their own rules.

Manatiling nakaantabay sa mga susunod na kaganapan.

KingRedLion
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
With all breaches come inevitable precedence....

Napabayaan or hindi painapansin ang provisions na yan coz everyone thinks/thought/assumes na lahat naman ng manlalaro ng basketball dito sa Pinas eh ang biggest goal is to get into the biggest pro league of them all(PBA) as a pro ball player. And now this comes along.

Expect changes, but it may not all be good --- much like the Soc Rivera Rule.

Tatluhan na lang bente uno lusutan 3, 6, 9 Pepsi Mega! ;)

salsa caballero
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
A contract is, necessarily, consensual. Japhet cannot be forced to sign off on the BK offer if he is not amenable to it.

Personally, I do not think a player's refusal to sign with the team that drafts him makes a "mockery" of the PBA. Put another way, a ban will result in grave prejudice -- being that Japh's exercise of his freedom of choice and freedom to negotiate terms, are essentially what are being sought to be penalized by Alvarez.

Kayang-kaya pa naman ito ayusin. All it takes is one whole day, a conference room and open minds. May formula na yan galing kina Fisher & Ury.

digitalsuperman
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
the only way Japeth can be banned for life is if Barrios will say so..he has the right to overload the by laws of the PBA. and the By Laws of the PBA doesn' t say anything about banning for life.

PBA needs Japeth more than Japeth needs the PBA. thats the main point. thats why they are dying to sign him because it would mean more gate receipts when they have more high flying overrated player. PBA is Business. PBA is entertainment nothing more nothing less.

Schortsanitis
09-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Short, so it is true after all: just because a player gets drafted, it does not mean he will automatically get a contract. Given your explanation above, there is no actual "must" for the drafting team, they may or may not tender an offer to a drafted player.

If this be so, then shouldn't players also have the right not to sign with the team that drafted them? Why should the drafting team have the right not to sign a player while players do not have the right to refuse to sign with a given team?

Again, given your explanation, it seems Burger King can thus choose NOT to sign Japeth Aguilar. In reality of course this we all know they are dying to sign him. But going back to your explanation, they may choose not to sign him after all, thus making him a free agent.

If Burger King has that right, I am of the opinion that players - such as in this case Aguilar - should have the equal right to choose not to sign with the team that drafted them.

It is true, that BK can choose not to sign Japeth, but that would mean giving up their rights to him also.

So I think that is good for the both the player, and the team. If they don't like each other, then they can part ways amicably.

Yes, there is a certain amount of bias towards the team, but that is because it will protect the purpose of the draft. If you remove that bias, then what will keep players from not playing for teams they do not like?

Why would Ogie Menor play for Barako Red Bull, a team obviously in financial trouble, and having paying their players?

What will keep Rabeh from playing with a bottom-dwellling team if he doesn't want to, then?

dark_seid
09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
It is true, that BK can choose not to sign Japeth, but that would mean giving up their rights to him also.

So I think that is good for the both the player, and the team. If they don't like each other, then they can part ways amicably.

Yes, there is a certain amount of bias towards the team, but that is because it will protect the purpose of the draft. If you remove that bias, then what will keep players from not playing for teams they do not like?

Why would Ogie Menor play for Barako Red Bull, a team obviously in financial trouble, and having paying their players?

What will keep Rabeh from playing with a bottom-dwellling team if he doesn't want to, then?

i would surmise that the financial incentive for being a pro ball player is still huge. there is no comparable income for a person fresh out of school to earn the same amount legitimately. sitting out a year or two is untenable when this is considered unless the said player takes his ballplaying to another country.

rabbaddal
09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
The reason why the PBA draft should be sacrosanct most of the time is because teams factor-in a significant part of their long-term strategy around their draft picks, especially when it comes to the top draftees. When a draft pick is undone, it messes up the team’s plans; not irreparably but still a big problem that needs to be undone. It’s not something you can simply walk away from and say “pasensya nalang, there’s no provision to ban a player anyway”, which is why the PBA honchos are obviously peeved. For someone who spent a considerable time living and studying on his own in the U.S., and supposedly had aspirations of joining the NBA or Euro leagues, Japeth has shown a very poor sense of judgment by signing up for the PBA draft.

oca
09-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Sa palagay ko, just as existing PBA rules seem to make BK hold an empty bag after 2 years, another existing rule may be used as an enticement for Japeth to sign a contract. Re: Rookie Salary Cap.

If Japeth signs that contract, it exempts him from that rookie salary cap at the end of his stint with Smart-Gilas. Napakalaking bagay yung ma-exempt sa cap na yan. On the part of BK, meron silang hawak na contrata that gives them a hold on Japeth. They can trade Japeth if at that time they can't agree to terms on a new/ renewed contract. The fact that "tradeable" si Japeth with BK holding that right, hindi basyong bayong ang hawak nila.

Just iron out the details---

1. Clear and unequivocal provisions that Japeth will be released to the NT. That Japeth will be on loan to the NT and BK will not recall him anytime before 2012 Olympics.
2. Smart-Gilas assumes the monetary considerations of that contract. Which means that Smart-Gilas will have to agree to assuming that obligation before anyone affix their signature on anything. Which also means Smart-Gilas will be a party in settling this problem.

As to the possibility this will set a precedent where a player will apply for the draft and holds out to sign a "japeth aguilar contract" and exempt himself later from the rookie salary cap, the above suggestion is premised only on BK's desire not to have an empty bag after 2 years. Hence, bahala na ang PBA mag set na conditions to prevent copycats.

Yun nga lang, pag ganyan ang nangyari, malabong bigyan ng blanket exemption from rookie salary cap ang sino mang player galing sa Smart Gilas.

bossman
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I just feel that he is being mishandled. Everything is handed to him black and white. Number 1 pick and 3 yr contract with provision to play for national team. Can't have everything boy!

oca
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
^
That suggestion is for BK to avoid having an empty bag.

Japeth is bound to earn practically the same with Smart-Gilas. The exemption from the cap is a consequence of signing that contract with BK. Technically, Japeth will no longer be a rookie that moment he actually starts playing in the PBA having completed that contract.

These terms are not formulated for him alone. It is there all this time. The enticement occurs as a natural consequence of having signed and, thereafter, finish the contract.

Bakit nga ba binabanggit ang "ban"? Why is it even suggested at all?

Because BK has no other recourse. No one can compel Japeth to enter into a contract with them. If his signature doesn't appear on that contract, BK will be holding an empty bag after 2 years.

Now, anybody has a suggestion how BK can keep Japeth in that bag after two years, or put something of similar value?

CrossOver
09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/templates/businessmirror1.0/images/logo.gif

Baffled Barrios awaits answers
By Joel Orellana
Wednesday, 02 September 2009 00:54

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/Daily_Images/2009/September/09022009/sports-pic04.jpg

SONNY BARRIOS, the amiable commissioner of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), remains puzzled why Japeth Aguilar is inside a hole which seemed he himself dug.

But Barrios said the PBA is giving the 22-year-old Aguilar a chance to turn things around to fulfill his dream of turning pro.

“Personally, it’s not all about the rules [and regulations] of the league. It’s how you do things with a sense of propriety,” Barrios said on Tuesday in the weekly Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum at Shakey’s United Nations.

“I think naging maayos naman ang treatment ng PBA, as well as Team Pilipinas sa kanya. Hindi naman masama magpalit ng isip but there are proper ways of doing things,” he added.

Aguilar, the former Western Kentucky University reserve, refused to sign a contract with Burger King, the team that picked him No. 1 in the draft. Instead, he wants to be part of the Smart Gilas developmental squad of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP).

Burger King team manager and incoming board chairman Lito Alvarez said he will elevate the Aguilar crisis to the PBA board which meets on Thursday. Alvarez has already hinted of recommending a lifetime ban on Aguilar in the PBA.

Barrios was civil about the Aguilar issue, but could not entirely hide how sour he felt about the youngster’s decision.

The commissioner said the league took care of Aguilar’s needs when he returned to the country, from assigning a driver for his transportation and providing him a monthly allowance.

“We are talking here of a six-figure allowance that is even bigger than our contracted player in the PBA,” said Barrios. “He was given perks that other members of the Team Pilipinas did not enjoy.”

Barrios also revealed he had proof SBP had offered Aguilar a spot on Smart Gilas when the team conducted a tryout in Las Vegas.

“The taped interview of Japeth was forwarded to me by a reporter and he said in the interview na ang offer ng Smart Gilas ay kung ano rin ang offer ng PBA,” he said. “This really puzzled me and found it interesting.”

Nonetheless, Barrios is hoping that Aguilar will be enlightened during his two-week vacation in the United States.

“I would love to hear from Japeth’s father kaya we’re not closing the door on him,” said Barrios.

Barrios also said the league will be meticulous and careful in imposing any sanction on Aguilar.

BusinessMirror (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/sports/15431-baffled-barrios-awaits-answers.html)

shyboy
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Isn't a verbal agreement a contract in itself? I believe this is what Lito Alvarez is holding on to. Every which way I look at it, mali talaga ginawa ni Aguilar.

Now as to the appropriate penalty, it's up to the PBA. The PBA is, first and foremost, an employer while the players are wanna-be employees. The employee wants to get employed by this employer. Employee went thru the process. Employer says he wants to hire employee. Employer and employee negotiate. They verbally agree. Then employee all of a sudden decides not to work for employer. Employer gets pissed, just like any other employer. Employer decides to ban employee from the company. Diba ganyan lang yan? Di naman masama diba. Kung ayaw talaga ni Japeth, eh di hanap na lang siya ng ibang employer.

CrossOver
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.malaya.com.ph/imges/sports.jpg

‘You do things with a sense of propriety’
BY NOLI CORTEZ

JAPETH Aguilar cannot be faulted for nationalistic fervor, but not to the detriment of others who have been so good to him.

So said PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios, who added Aguilar should have followed the proper course before turning his back on the PBA team that drafted him in favor of the Smart Gilas squad of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

"Personally, it’s not all about the rules and regulations of the league. It’s how you do things with a sense of propriety," Barrios said in yesterday’s PSA Forum at the Shakey’s UN branch.

"Hindi naman masamang magpalit ng isip, especially if it’s for a nationalistic cause, but there are proper ways of doing things," he added.

Aguilar, the former Western Kentucky University reserve who saw action with the Powerade-Team Pilipinas in the Jones Cup and FIBA-Asia Championship, formally announced last Monday he’s no longer joining the Burger King team that made him the top pick overall in the draft.

Instead, the 22-year-old said, he will try to land a spot with the Smart Gilas crew gearing up for next year’s Asian Games and the 2011 FIBA Asia, the latter a qualifier for the London Olympics the following year.

What baffled Barrios was how Aguilar arrived at his decision after being given a royal treatment since his arrival here for his Powerade stints.

"I think naging maayos naman ang treatment ng PBA as well as the Powerade-Team Pilipinas sa kanya," said Barrios, baring Aguilar was given a driver and a car, aside from a hefty monthly allowance.

"We are talking here of a six-figure allowance that is even bigger than our contracted player in the PBA," said Barrios. "He was given perks that other members of the Powerade-Team Pilipinas did not enjoy."

Aguilar left for the US last Monday evening for a two-week vacation. During that time, he will visit his Chicago-based parents.

Barrios said he’s hoping Aguilar would be enlightened while he’s in the US.

"I would love to hear from Japeth’s father," said Barrios, referring to former national player and pro Peter. "We’re not closing the door on Japeth."

Stung by Aguilar’s action, Whoppers team manager and new PBA chairman Lito Alvarez said he will raise the matter in the governors’ meeting tomorrow.

Barrios was left hoping Aguilar’s case won’t strain the relationship between the PBA and SBP.

"I’d still like to think the PBA and SBP share a common idea, which is to help Philippine basketball. Tingin ko naman mapag-uuasapan naman lahat ‘yan," he stated.

Malaya (http://www.malaya.com.ph/sep02/spor2.htm)

CrossOver
09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.tribune.net.ph/pics/topstories_01.png

Aguilar given time to think before hedging contract
By Arman Carandang
09/02/2009

Burger King coach Yeng Guiao would rather have introspection and time aid Japeth Aguilar in deciding whether or not to honor his commitment to play for the Whoppers.

No pressure is coming Japeth’s way, at least not from where Guiao sits.

"We’ll just wait for him to think things over," said Guiao of the catquick 6’10 who had been drafted by Burger King but who had expressed a desire to play for the Philippine team instead.

As the No. 1 draft pick, Aguilar had been offered by the Whoppers a three-year contract worth P8.7 million.

"I don’t believe he has full appreciation of the consequences of his decision," said Guiao, referring to recent statements made by the slotman that he would rather train and play with the Smart Gilas RP Team.

The Daily Tribune (http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20090902spo6.html)

D_I_A
09-02-2009, 09:21 AM
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/images/mst/0.jpg

Aguilar to receive P18m from Gilas

by Rey Joble

FOR country or money?

9/2/2009

This is the P18.6-million question surrounding Japeth Aguilar’s decision to turn his back from the Philippine Basketball Association and bring his act to the Smart-Gilas national team.

A highly-placed source told Standard Today that the 6’9” former Western Kentucky University player was offered the whopping three-year contract by the team backed by Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and bankrolled by Smart Communications.

The same source said Aguilar is set to get P350,000 in his first year, P500,000 in his second year and P700,000 in his final year with Smart-Gilas, more than double the P8.7 million Burger King, the PBA team which drafted the 22-year-old cager, offered him.

The Whopper’s offer, which was the maximum salary allowed for a rookie, was rejected by Aguilar’s camp.

Aguilar applied for the PBA Draft and issued his intent to enter the pro league during the Powerade-Team Pilipinas’ campaign in the Fiba Asia Men’s Basketball Championships in Tianjin.

Aguilar’s decision to turn his back from the PBA was a big puzzle even to league commissioner Sonny Barrios.

Barrios said that Aguilar’s camp may be right in saying that they don’t have a commitment in the PBA as well as Burger King as they didn’t sign a contract. But the official said that there are things to be considered more than just the rules and regulations of the pro league.

“I don’t think the issue should simply just focus on the rules and regulations or whether Aguilar has a commitment with the PBA or Burger King. It’s how you do things with a sense of propriety,” said Barrios during yesterday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum.

“It’s about being fair—to the PBA and the team which picked him up. The thing is, the case is more sensitive because he is the top overall rookie pick and that a team is building its future around him,” he added.

Barrios also disclosed that the PBA gave Aguilar the needed assistance to fulfill his dream of turning pro and treated him like a rock star.

“We are talking here of a six-figure allowance that was even bigger than the contracts of many players in the PBA,” said Barrios. “He was given perks that other members of the Powerade-Team Pilipinas did not enjoy.”

CrossOver
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Ang pagkakamali lang talaga ay nag-pa draft siya, wala paman napipirmahang kontrata medyo makakasira naman ito sa imahe ng PBA Draft (1st round pick kasi siya) anu paman ang magiging desisyon ni Japeth ihanda na niya sarili niya sa dagdag na kritisismo. Kaya kayong mga talented filipino (full or half blooded) mag isip-isip muna kayo saan niyo ba gusto lumaro? Dito lang ba sa Pilipinas na kung saan kapwa pinoy niyo lang ang katunggali (w/ 1 forein import in different conference) or sa labas na kung saan iba't ibang lahi ang pwede niyong makaharap? Marami na kayong pagpipilian its your choice 8)

CrossOver
09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
http://images.gmanews.tv/header/v2/gmanewsdottv_logo.jpg

T'Wolves say Rubio backed out of chance to play
09/02/2009 | 09:12 AM

MINNEAPOLIS – After saying all summer long that his preference was to play in the NBA, Ricky Rubio apparently got a case of cold feet at the last minute.

Less than 48 hours after the Timberwolves, Rubio's agents and the Spanish team DKV Joventut agreed in principle on a deal to bring the 18-year-old point guard to Minnesota, Rubio changed his mind.

He told Timberwolves president David Kahn on Monday night that he wanted to stay in Spain for the next two years to better prepare for life in the NBA — a blow to a team that was hoping to have the popular passer on the court this fall.

"Of course there's disappointment, but I don't think that disappointment should overshadow the big picture, which is, he's still so young," Kahn said Tuesday during a call from Spain, where he spent the weekend negotiating the deal. "It appears now we will have a two-year wait. But if you frame it as he'll be 20 years old and he'll have two more years to develop, I can think of a lot worse things to happen to us as a franchise."

The Timberwolves drafted Rubio fifth overall in June, even though he was still under contract with DKV Joventut in a deal that included a $8.1 million buyout clause. Kahn made three trips to Spain over the summer to try and help Rubio's representatives negotiate that number down, a process that was hindered by NBA guidelines limiting the amount of money Minnesota could contribute to $500,000.

Kahn said Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, delivered a package of endorsement deals and sponsorships that helped make the NBA deal attractive enough for Rubio and Joventut to enter into an agreement on Saturday night.

When Rubio backed out of the deal, DKV Joventut reluctantly agreed to trade him to rival Regal FC Barcelona, which will pay $5.3 million to buy out his contract. The buyout, Kahn said, is the largest in European basketball history.

In a statement, Joventut noted the "big effort" by everyone to reach a deal.

"In front of this situation, and in contradiction with what he has been saying to us and to Timberwolves' representatives from time to time, the player has announced the decision that he wants to be transferred to FC Barcelona," the team said.

The deal with FC Barcelona requires Rubio to stay in Spain through the 2010-11 season, at which time the buyout price tag plummets to about $1.4 million. That's a much more manageable number for Rubio to afford, but he said he was more concerned about being ready for the NBA.

"The reason leading me to take this next step is to have a period of preparation to better take the challenge of the NBA in better conditions as a player," Rubio said in a statement. "The Minnesota Timberwolves continue to be my first option and I wish to play with them in the near future."

So what changed between Saturday and Monday?

Kahn said Rubio and his family were receiving pressure from his Spanish national team teammates, members of the Spanish media and other people in their hometown to stay in Spain.

"It's just been a tough summer," Kahn said. "From an 18-year-old's perspective and his family's perspective, it was very nerve-racking."

The decision saves Rubio money in the short term, but could bring long-term consequences, both on and off the court.

The Timberwolves will hold Rubio's NBA rights as long as he is playing professionally. They also have rookie point guard Jonny Flynn, who was drafted No. 6 overall right behind Rubio, to take over while Rubio is in Spain.

Flynn impressed at the Las Vegas summer league, and Kahn said he will likely be named the starter going into training camp.

"I explained to (Rubio) that I can't predict the future," Kahn said. "I did specifically mention that Jonny would be two years ahead of him. He understood that."

When Rubio does come over, Kahn said he will be subject to the NBA rookie scale from this year. That means he'll get a four-year deal worth more than $15 million and will be two years further away from the lucrative unrestricted free agent market.

Still, Kahn said he had no regrets about choosing a player many scouts have called the most exciting point guard to enter the draft in years.

"No matter what our circumstances are two years from now," Kahn said, "I believe that he was the highest and best value pick we could have made the way things developed that night."

GMANews.TV (http://www.gmanews.tv/sports)

heto medyo similar sa kaso ni Japeth if ang NBA naging open minded PBA pa kaya?

pachador
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
This is a fight between BK and aguilar, because BK is the big loser here., Thats why BK is trying to involve the PBA board and the SBP to make a stand to pressure and intimidate bad boy aguilar. The question is, are the interests of the other PBA teams served by helping BK ? not necessarily so in terms of public relations and making fans angry, plus, now the Cojuangco teams will now have an "opening" to lure Aguilar after 2011. The concern that Gilas is hoarding the best players is not a big deal because after 2011, the Gilas players can apply in any pro league they want including the PBA plus there are more than enough star players waiting in the draft pipeline who did not fit the Toroman specificiations for Gilas team. The talk about the "sacredness of the draft" is really more abour moral principles(kuno). unfortunately, the bottomline is whichever league/team can offer more money. Just as teams dump players mercilessly if they are bano, players can also dump teams for the highest bidder. It works both ways. PBA needs to adjust to the new situation that other leagues such as euroleague, ASEAN league, smart-Gilas or even the NBA will start offering more money to filipino players as they become taller and better. The aguilar issue is just the start as a new wave of mobile filipino giants will enter the draft in a few years. Imagine if Fajardo, Rabeh, slaughter improve by leaps and bounds, you can bet that foreign leagues will chase them too and not only the PBA....so the PBA should stop acting like a spoiled fat old baby , and instead plan long-term to cope with this upcoming bidding war. If you do not adopt , you become extinct like the dodo and dinosaur. if you keep on clinging to amusing rules or restrictions which stagnate the league like height restrictions on imports, foreign coaches not allowed, no touch rule, etc , you will end up with a bunch of spoiled Pro crybaby players.

clutchjedi
09-03-2009, 08:34 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/columns/columns/view/20090903-223274/Go-Japeth-go

Go, Japeth, go
By Tommy Manotoc
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:06:00 09/03/2009

THERE IS A LOT BEING WRITTEN about Japeth Aguilar these past few days.

The present situation he created has caused a stir in the PBA and mirrored the state of professional and amateur basketball in the country today.

Allow me to set the stage of what I think led to the Japeth controversy.

National team coach Yeng Guiao, who also coaches Burger King, first offered the US-based Aguilar a slot in the national team.

Since the first round draft choice belonged to Burger King, which has this propensity to offer players to bigger teams, it was natural for a coach to want a player of Japeth’s caliber to also play for him in the PBA.

(It is also worth noting that Yeng and Aguilar come from the same province where Yeng is reportedly set to run for governor in the coming elections. It would be a boost to his campaign if he had Aguilar in the national team and in the PBA as well.)

In return, Japeth and his family had to naturally agree that he join the PBA draft and be picked by Yeng’s team.

So you can see, there was a meeting of the minds.

But when Aguilar did come home and train with the nationals, he saw the other side of the coin.

I know this for a fact because my son had closely monitored the national team and he saw that Aguilar was not happy with its practice regimen.

All this time, the Smart Gilas RP five of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas was also going after Aguilar, who actually played for the squad in tune-up games in Las Vegas.

The Smart Gilas style appealed to him, but Aguilar nevertheless kept his end of the agreement with Guiao by applying for the PBA rookie draft.

I even heard that Yeng lent him his personal car. I don’t think a coach would do that if there was no “meeting of the minds.”

So Japeth was drafted by Burger King and was included in the national team that played in the Fiba Asia championship in Tianjin, China where he was fielded sparingly.

When he came back, he reported all that he saw and went through to his dad Peter, a former national cager himself and PBA player, who is now based in Chicago.

I’m sure it was a hard decision for the family but after all that their son witnessed and experienced, it seemed to them a wise decision for Japeth not to honor his agreement with coach Yeng.

You see, the PBA is now developing a new and different face.

The top teams, led by the San Miguel conglomerate, seem to be able to get whatever they want.

The restrictions of player trades are no longer followed because it is tolerated by going through a third party.

Some of the teams have given up catching with the richer squads. While they get good draft choices, they eventually sell them to the top teams.

This is the present condition in the PBA and the Commissioner’s office is allowing these situations and has decided not to do anything about it because they want to keep their jobs.

And this is the scenario that is staring Japeth in his face.

It doesn’t take a nuclear scientist to see the possibility that after one conference or even a year or two, even if he was in contract with Burger King, he could eventually be traded just like Arwind Santos. The league has no rules to protect a player from this situation.

It has been common knowledge that Japeth always wanted to play for the country. He was also quoted as saying that even if his rights were traded or sold to other teams, including Talk ‘N Text, he would not play until his services are no longer required by the national team. This is a trait that should be commended not condemned. Let us not crucify the young man for putting his country above a PBA team.

He also figures that for him to improve as a player, he would benefit more playing with the national team, which would benefit in turn from using his talent.

And I agree with him in that sense.

So I say “Go, Japeth, go.”

You will hurt a few people but you will please many more of our countrymen for being idealistic and for wanting to serve the country the proper way at this point in your life. You still have a good number of amateur years before you jump into the pool of pros where commercialism and materialism truly run the league, at least for now.

joelex
09-03-2009, 10:02 AM
nathanielz lang yan at yung kanyang hati sa disiotso mil!!

digitalsuperman
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM
tommy manotoc is dead on the money.. PBA nowadays is just a shadow of what it used to. and we should stop criticizing japeth for his decision.. he wants to play for the country and that what he wants.theres nothing wrong with that. if PBA respects duty for the country then why are they crying their eyes out? its because PBA will loose a lot of money without japeth...tsk.tsk..shame on PBA... if it wasn't for Gilas this season, i'll never watch PBA again.

sanlo
09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
The basketball situation nowadays is different na. Before, a prized rookie had no choice but go to the PBA (which was his dream in the first place). Now there is the national team which gets paid as much as the prized rookies in the PBA. One can play for flag and country before plunging to the PBA.

If the PBA draft pick cant agree on his contract, he should sit out the year and not be banned for life. Unfortunately the PBA has become an Old Man's Club where they set the rules as they see fit. Then its not nice that half the teams in the PBA are controlled by one conglomerate.

Bottomline, the final choice is Japeth's. If it goes against the PBA just follow your rules. Since the situation is different now, time to amend the rules but not retroactive.

Schortsanitis
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
The incident first came out on Friday last week, when Japeth said he will not play for BK, but instead for Smart Gilas. Sonny Virus said that it was long weekend (up to Monday), and that will give the Aguilars time to think about the issue, and that he will decide when work resumes on Tuesday.

Tuesday came and went, but no decision. Then Wednesday came and went, but still no decision, or even recommendation. Instead, you have the Virus saying things like he will talk to Japeth, and then Alvarez trying to drag the SBP into this mess.

The way things look, with the PBA doing a lot of talking, and not much action, I think there is no consensus among the board members to ban Japeth for life. If they could ban him for life, they should've done it by now.

It now looks to me like Japeth will indeed be banned, but only for 1-2 years, just so they can say they banned him.

In a way, it seems that Japeth had already won the battle, and gotten what he wants.

I think that there will likely be no PBA decision until at least next week, with the board members being divided, and a lot of talking among themselves going on.

I also think that the PBA should find a way to ensure that BK does not end up holding an empty bag. If that happens, then that would likely result in a deep resentment by BK of the incident, which could have far reaching consequences. BK could perhaps argue that, had the incident happened to a team like SMB, would they have gotten an empty bag also?

Whatever decision the PBA makes, then they should remember that they will have to do the same decision again if a similar incident happens. If they let Japeth go with a wrist slap, and then ban somebody else for life on a similar incident, I will be on the other side of the fence.

yungha
09-03-2009, 11:23 AM
nasanay na kasi ang pba na nagpapakamatay ang up-and-coming players just to get into the league. now there's this prospect who's made it perfectly clear that he's NOT INTERESTED in joining their league and they don't know what to do. like pachador said, in a few years it's not just smart gilas who'll compete with the pba for the best players but also the euroleagues and possibly the nba. if the pba can't accept that they're now no longer a monopoly and adapt, unti-unting mabubulok yan.

let's go japeth. good luck. we support you.

Kid Cubao
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
maganda yung sinabi ni coach tommy, but it doesn't answer the reason why japeth did not extend the courtesy of formally meeting up with yeng guiao and lito alvarez to inform them his reasons for withdrawing from the 2009 draft. see what's happening right now: he issued his statements to the press, now he is getting it from the media backlash.

dito pumapasok yung sense of propriety and professionalism. after all, there is a reason why it is called "professional" basketball.

oca
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Granting the actuation of Japeth lacked propriety and professionalism, what's the PBA to do now?

That I think is the issue now.

Tapos na yung ginawa o di ginawa ni Japeth. Wala nang magagawa ang sino man dyan. Pero kung ano ang tugon ng PBA, the organization itself, yan ang magandang abangan... o pag-usapan.

oca
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Ban.

Ban a player who decides to play for the national Team instead? ::)

oca
09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Ask SBP to be a party in settling the issue.

Take note, BK has no personality to ask SBP to do anything. But the PBA being a stakeholder can ask the SBP to take part in finding a way to settle this.

Kid Cubao
09-03-2009, 01:57 PM
para sa akin, heto ang pwedeng gawin ng PBA:

1. act as mediator between japeth and his handlers and burger king management in order to discuss the matter thoroughly and settle it amicably. point of concern is whether BK can abrogate its earlier player trades prior to japeth's change of heart. marami silang pinakawalang manlalaro gaya nina arwind and company. i'm sure this will crop up.

2. the PBA can require smart gilas to subsidize part of burger king's operating expenses for the duration of japeth aguilar's stint with rajko toroman.

oca
09-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Sa palagay ko, just as existing PBA rules seem to make BK hold an empty bag after 2 years, another existing rule may be used as an enticement for Japeth to sign a contract. Re: Rookie Salary Cap.

If Japeth signs that contract, it exempts him from that rookie salary cap at the end of his stint with Smart-Gilas. Napakalaking bagay yung ma-exempt sa cap na yan. On the part of BK, meron silang hawak na contrata that gives them a hold on Japeth. They can trade Japeth if at that time they can't agree to terms on a new/ renewed contract. The fact that "tradeable" si Japeth with BK holding that right, hindi basyong bayong ang hawak nila.

Just iron out the details---

1. Clear and unequivocal provisions that Japeth will be released to the NT. That Japeth will be on loan to the NT and BK will not recall him anytime before 2012 Olympics.
2. Smart-Gilas assumes the monetary considerations of that contract. Which means that Smart-Gilas will have to agree to assuming that obligation before anyone affix their signature on anything. Which also means Smart-Gilas will be a party in settling this problem.

As to the possibility this will set a precedent where a player will apply for the draft and holds out to sign a "japeth aguilar contract" and exempt himself later from the rookie salary cap, the above suggestion is premised only on BK's desire not to have an empty bag after 2 years. Hence, bahala na ang PBA mag set na conditions to prevent copycats.

Yun nga lang, pag ganyan ang nangyari, malabong bigyan ng blanket exemption from rookie salary cap ang sino mang player galing sa Smart Gilas.

clutchjedi
09-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Trying to piece together from what Tommy Manotoc wrote:

1. Guiao offered Japeth a slot in the Powerade NT, but Japeth had to agree to join the PBA draft. (according to Manotoc)
2. In late June/July: Japeth arrived to join the NT for practice, and played in the Jones Cup.
3. Before the PBA draft on Aug. 2: Japeth may have already felt unhappy with the practice regimen (per TJ Manotoc)
4. But despite that, Japeth decided to remain in the draft, where BK made him the top pick.
5. The NT played in the FIBA Asia (Aug 6-16), where Japeth got limited minutes. Guiao has recently said Japeth had the flu which they hid then to avoid risking quarantine.
6. In late August, Ronnie Nathanielsz announced that Japeth won't sign up with BK and wants to play for Smart Gilas instead.

I wonder how accurate #1 is.
- Because IF it's true that Japeth was pressured to apply for the draft just to be able to play for the Powerade NT, then that's taking unfair advantage of his desire to play for country. And Guiao/BK deserve to have this backfire on them.

- If so, I could understand why Japeth chose to remain in the draft - because he did not want to risk his FIBA Asia stint by crossing Guiao.

- In an ideal world, Japeth could have pulled out from the draft or advised BK of his plans. But because the FIBA Asia was upcoming, that might have been a complicating factor for him.

korn666333
09-03-2009, 04:33 PM
We still dont know the truth.
By the way you cant force a player to sign a contract. thats it.
Lalong nakakahiya pag ang PBA nagba. ban ng player na indi magsa.sign ng contract.
Sa lahat ng indi napulot sa drafting, cheer guys! nafeel din nila ang sakit.
hahaha.

rabbaddal
09-05-2009, 12:26 AM

1. Guiao offered Japeth a slot in the Powerade NT, but Japeth had to agree to join the PBA draft. (according to Manotoc)

- Because IF it's true that Japeth was pressured to apply for the draft just to be able to play for the Powerade NT, then that's taking unfair advantage of his desire to play for country. And Guiao/BK deserve to have this backfire on them.

- If so, I could understand why Japeth chose to remain in the draft - because he did not want to risk his FIBA Asia stint by crossing Guiao.

- In an ideal world, Japeth could have pulled out from the draft or advised BK of his plans. But because the FIBA Asia was upcoming, that might have been a complicating factor for him.

If #1 is true then thing's don't add up. Japeth could still have played for the country under Gilas from the start, which had the mandate to compete in tournaments/exhibitions in Europe, AU and the US as well as the Asian Games. One FIBA-Asia is nothing compared to what's lined up for Gilas.

pachador
09-05-2009, 01:28 AM
guys,

taking into the context the filipino cultural settings and customs with respect to "pecking order" and subservience to powerful people, lets remember that japeth and his dad are from pampanga where Guiao is vice-governor and a powerful man. how would you behave if you were in japeth's shoes ? obviously, if you behave the customary filipino way, you would try to to "accomodate" Guiao, .....The customary way of filipinos is to say yes even if they really want to say no or to just smile and go along. Most of us are thinking like westerners in this forum where it is anonymous, but in the outside world, we may behave differently depending on how pinoy one is ;D .... isnt it possible that the "reality" when japeth is face to face with Guiao might have made him try to "accomodate" him up to a certain extent before this issue finally came about..something was lost in translation.... its just something to think about...

atenean_blooded
09-05-2009, 02:05 AM

2. In late June/July: Japeth arrived to join the NT for practice, and played in the Jones Cup.
3. Before the PBA draft on Aug. 2: Japeth may have already felt unhappy with the practice regimen (per TJ Manotoc)
4. But despite that, Japeth decided to remain in the draft, where BK made him the top pick.
5. The NT played in the FIBA Asia (Aug 6-16), where Japeth got limited minutes. Guiao has recently said Japeth had the flu which they hid then to avoid risking quarantine.
6. In late August, Ronnie Nathanielsz announced that Japeth won't sign up with BK and wants to play for Smart Gilas instead.

What I find a bit suspect is the fact that Yeng Guiao hid the fact that Aguilar had the flu to avoid the possibility of quarantine.

Sounds like there's something wrong with priorities there, but that's just me.

Schortsanitis
09-05-2009, 12:51 PM

This is false. Japeth had standing offers from both Smart-Gilas and Powerade before he joined the draft. So it is CLEAR, that whether he joins the draft of not, he would could still end up playing for the country, whether at Powerade, or Smart-Gilas.

Tommy Manotoc's accussation is just an accussation, and coming out only after the whole incident broke out.

But let's just say, what if it was true, so what? Japeth had a standing offer from Smart-Gilas, so he could simply deny the offer of Powerade (with its requirement that Japeth get drafted), and still play for the country.

He keeps saying he wants to play for the country. But the point is, whether he joined the draft or not, he would've still ended up playing for the country either with Powerade, or with Smart-Gilas.

oca
09-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Regardless of Japeth's motivation, the fact is he can't be compelled to sign a contract with BK. On the other hand, BK's right over Japeth will lapse after 2 years, making them hold an empty bag.

What's the remedy for BK?

Schortsanitis
09-05-2009, 01:48 PM
^^^
'Mukhang "Sorry na lang"' to BK. LOL

Seriously, I think the only win-win way out of this mess, would be for a trade to occur between BK and TNT.

TNT I think won't mind if Japeth plays for Smart-Gilas.

But BK needs to be not too picky also. I read that they wanted Cardona and Peek, but no way TNT will release any of those two guys. I think a Ritualo-De Ocampo trade for Japeth is a fair trade.

I think its time for Lito to compromise on this one. The way the PBA has been delaying release of the decision on what to do with Japeth seems to indicate that there is no consensus among the board for a lifetime ban. In that case, BK should take what it can (which is not so bad after all), and go on with their lives.

oca
09-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Kung ako lalapitan ng BK to do a trade, outright, I will decline. ;D

Stupidity -- overhauling the lineup without first signing the supposed cornerstone of that revamp--- shouldn't be rewarded! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

clutchjedi
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
But the point is, whether he joined the draft or not, he would've still ended up playing for the country either with Powerade, or with Smart-Gilas.

Yes, he could just chosen Smart-Gilas instead of Powerade team and just go to Smart-Gilas. But if you're Japeth, it doesn't have to be an either/or of the two...
- Why wait 2 years if even now the Powerade team already has a chance, and you might be able to help the team just enough to finish third instead of lower ?
- In 2009 the top 3 qualify for the Worlds, in 2011 it might just be the champion who makes the Olympics. 2009 might be a better (easier) opportunity, so best to grab the opportunity.
- And even if we don't win, the FIBA experience would help if Japeth were to be available for Smart-Gilas later. :)

So yes, he could have just chosen the Gilas route, but personally I could see why he would still want to play for the Powerade team already (whether or not he also joins Gilas after) - just my opinion :)

Schortsanitis
09-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Stupidity -- overhauling the lineup without first signing the supposed cornerstone of that revamp--- shouldn't be rewarded! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In fairness to BK, they had no reason to think that Japeth would NOT play for them in the PBA before they drafted him.

I think Lito talked to Japeth about playing for BK, and it is likely Japeth said "yes".

Furthermore, from the time Japeth declared himself eligible for the draft, up to the drafting day itself, I could not find any bit of news that hinted that Japeth would not play for BK.

Everybody knew where Japeth would end up, there was nary a hint about the kid's intentions then.

So imagine BK's surprise, when it turned out they will be left holding an empty bag.

If BK had a fault, it was, indeed, trusting Japeth's word for it. But then they had no reason to think otherwise.

Moral of the story: It doesn't matter what a person says to you, but always expect the worst, until that person is now legally bound to your organization.

Schortsanitis
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Yes, he could just chosen Smart-Gilas instead of Powerade team and just go to Smart-Gilas. But if you're Japeth, it doesn't have to be an either/or of the two...
- Why wait 2 years if even now the Powerade team already has a chance, and you might be able to help the team just enough to finish third instead of lower ?
- In 2009 the top 3 qualify for the Worlds, in 2011 it might just be the champion who makes the Olympics. 2009 might be a better (easier) opportunity, so best to grab the opportunity.
- And even if we don't win, the FIBA experience would help if Japeth were to be available for Smart-Gilas later. :)

So yes, he could have just chosen the Gilas route, but personally I could see why he would still want to play for the Powerade team already (whether or not he also joins Gilas after) - just my opinion :)

The problem here, is that Japeth never really signified his intentions to continue playing for Smart Gilas after his Powerade stint. Had he done so, then BK likely would've had second thoughts of drafting him.

If Japeth had been transparent about his intentions about playing for Smart Gilas after his Powerade stint, then teams would've known the risk, and then would've made the necessary adjustments.

But he didn't. And that's where the problem lies.

oca
09-06-2009, 04:27 PM

In fairness to BK, they had no reason to think that Japeth would NOT play for them in the PBA before they drafted him.

I think Lito talked to Japeth about playing for BK, and it is likely Japeth said "yes".

Furthermore, from the time Japeth declared himself eligible for the draft, up to the drafting day itself, I could not find any bit of news that hinted that Japeth would not play for BK.

Everybody knew where Japeth would end up, there was nary a hint about the kid's intentions then.

So imagine BK's surprise, when it turned out they will be left holding an empty bag.

If BK had a fault, it was, indeed, trusting Japeth's word for it. But then they had no reason to think otherwise.

Moral of the story: It doesn't matter what a person says to you, but always expect the worst, until that person is now legally bound to your organization.

Sound business practice tells us that kahit may pinagkasunduan na, we still wait for things to be in writing before we do anything at all. Kung nasa manufacturing ka at may o-order so many pieces of this, you give your quote and even if they say they are okay with the terms, do you start ordering raw materials without that "conforme"?

Madalas nga may conforme na, maghihintay pa ng downpayment before the manufacturer does anything at all.

In short, before you proceed with your next move, dapat sigurado ka na di ka talo pag biglang nagbago isip ng kausap mo. That's plain and simple business common sense.

oca
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Then ,maybe, panahon na para malaman ng PBA, na unti-unti nawawala na sila sa gitna ng basketball dito sa bansa.

Nuon, ang mundo nang bawat mahilig sa basketball dito sa atin ay ang PBA, mapa-player or fan. Dapat matauhan na ang PBA at baguhin na nila ang pakikitungo sa mga nagnanais maglaro sa liga nila at mga sumusubaybay.

...but I won't proceed as this is off topic here.

Schortsanitis
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Sound business practice tells us that kahit may pinagkasunduan na, we still wait for things to be in writing before we do anything at all. Kung nasa manufacturing ka at may o-order so many pieces of this, you give your quote and even if they say they are okay with the terms, do you start ordering raw materials without that "conforme"?

Madalas nga may conforme na, maghihintay pa ng downpayment before the manufacturer does anything at all.

In short, before you proceed with your next move, dapat sigurado ka na di ka talo pag biglang nagbago isip ng kausap mo. That's plain and simple business common sense.

BK probably didn't necessarily treat this as sort of like a business, hence the lax implementation of normal business practices.

You talked to the guy, he said "yes", then went on with their business.

In a way, they thought Japeth was somebody who would keep his word. They did talk to him, you know, so I think there should be room for "Palabra De Honor", or "Delicadeza" out there somewhere.

Now that they know he is not that type of a person, then they will know next time.

oca
09-06-2009, 07:14 PM

BK probably didn't necessarily treat this as sort of like a business, hence the lax implementation of normal business practices.

You talked to the guy, he said "yes", then went on with their business.

In a way, they thought Japeth was somebody who would keep his word. They did talk to him, you know, so I think there should be room for "Palabra De Honor", or "Delicadeza" out there somewhere.

Now that they know he is not that type of a person, then they will know next time.

Again, let us be careful in using words pertaining to integrity and honor in relation to the PBA. The recent article of Tommy Manotoc, a former PBA commissioner, describes just how the league members have circumvented the league's own rules.... re: "insider trading". ::) Lintek, pati coaches tine-trade na nga! :o

Kaya ingat tayo sa paggamit ng mga salita pag kamasa ang PBA sa usapan. ;)

Schortsanitis
09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Again, let us be careful in using words pertaining to integrity and honor in relation to the PBA. The recent article of Tommy Manotoc, a former PBA commissioner, describes just how the league members have circumvented the league's own rules.... re: "insider trading". ::) Lintek, pati coaches tine-trade na nga! :o

I haven't read what Tommy wrote, but if is making such accussations, I wonder what he did since he was supposedly in a position to go after it, or something. Besides, was Tommy just speculating, or did he really have facts or evidences about it?

At any rate, I would treat those accussations as a separate issue. I mean, its kinda hard to keep score if we say that just because the PBA supposedly did some insider trading, then Burger King deserves to be fleeced.

Its a bit far off, actually, when you think about it.

oca
09-06-2009, 11:41 PM

I haven't read what Tommy wrote, but if is making such accussations, I wonder what he did since he was supposedly in a position to go after it, or something. Besides, was Tommy just speculating, or did he really have facts or evidences about it?

At any rate, I would treat those accussations as a separate issue. I mean, its kinda hard to keep score if we say that just because the PBA supposedly did some insider trading, then Burger King deserves to be fleeced.

Its a bit far off, actually, when you think about it.

Una, yung kay Mr.Manotoc, he can't do anything since he is referring to recent player trades. Obviously, di papasa itong mga "insider trading" nung panahon niya.

As to being a bit far off, well, that's a matter of opinion. Ang batayan ko kasi, if I can't apply it to the universal --- that's the PBA as a whole, then mas lalong hindi pwede sa particular -- a team member and it's dealings.

The PBA has enough clout to protect or provide remedy for itself and its members. But the same can't be said to those dealing with the league and /or individual teams.

Kaya yung mga hindi pa bahagi ng liga, they have to regard the PBA with suspicion. Be careful at the very least.

McCoy
09-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Burger King 8 million.....
Smart Gilas 18 million....

Aguilar pick Smart Gilas
"para sa Bansa or para sa Bulsa"

BANNED na sa PBA yan.
pati si Nathanielsz and pa-deport na rin yan sa Malaysia o Indonesia pekeng Pinoy yan
mga "mukhang pera"

CrossOver
09-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Aguilar pick Smart Gilas

BANNED na sa PBA yan.
pati si Nathanielsz and pa-deport na rin yan sa Malaysia o Indonesia pekeng Pinoy yan
mga "mukhang pera"

wag muna questionin if magkano ang talent fee ng mga players hindi lang ang bansa natin ang nagbabayad sa mga player pati ibang bansa. Dahil ang mga player ay kailangan ding mabuhay dahil may mga pamilya sila. Anu gusto mong kainin nila Tuyo at kangkong? gaserang ilaw sa tahanan? paglalakad ang transportasyon? bigyan mo naman sila ng marangyang buhay, bansa natin ang kanilang nirerepresenta.

oca
09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I cannot understand why some people would make an issue if players are given such huge amounts, or if the players would actually decide base on who is offering better money.

I am a firm believer that players should squeeze every centavo they can get from their basketball skills and this is based on very pragmatic reasons.

How long is the life span of an athlete?

-- You score 20 points in the 1st half, then you may suffer a career ending injury in the 3rd or 4th quarter. Tapos na! Kung ano man ang tatanggapin mo ay yung guaranteed part lang ng contrata mo and that contract probably has a tenor of 3 to 5 years when you signed it.

-- If you are lucky, and very, very lucky at that, you'll play for 10 or 12 or 15 years.

-- But on the average, in the absence of hard statistics, I guess it is less than 10 years.

Malinaw na napakaikli at napaka uncertain ang buhay ng basketball player. Kaya marapat na sulitin nila ang pwede nilang kitaain. Unlike if you make a career in the corporate world, you can literally have yourself employed until mandatory retirement age. Pero sa basketball?

On the argument that they are suppose to be playing for the flag; well common sense lang, kailangan mabuhay ng mga iyan at pamilya nila. Kung walang alok ang nagpapatakbo ng NT, di magtatagal at tutungo na ang mga iyan sa PBA at walang kahihinatnan ang programa ng Smart-Gilas.

digitalsuperman
09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Aguilar pick Smart Gilas

BANNED na sa PBA yan.
mga "mukhang pera"

di mo na problema yun. di mo naman pera ginastos don.. inggit kalang ata ni japeth..nyahahaha...

Kid Cubao
09-07-2009, 02:14 PM
kahit papano natin pagbalibagligtarin ang usapin, the bottom line is that you can't renege on your word and expect to get away with it scot-free. if people make a big issue about money in the japeth aguilar mess, that's because it is. people who have been deluding him with the wrong advice have surely pointed out the big disparity between his standing offer at BK with that of smart gilas. the purpose is clear: they'll get a higher commission steering him to rajko toroman than to yeng guiao. they forget that by doing so, they are exposing japeth to unnecessary administrative liabilities.

if indeed the main reason why japeth backed out of burger king is his unfortunate experience with yeng guiao, why oh why wasn't it handled in a more professional manner with both sides reaching a common agreement? wala akong pakialam sa kasalukuyang estado ng PBA, kung heto nga'y cartel o old boys network, heto ang pag-usapan natin kasi heto ang isyu. may habol ang BK sa naunsyaming draft pick nila, at sinusuportahan ko ang anumang hakbang na gagawin nila upang di na maulit ang ganitong pangyayari.

joelex
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I cannot understand why some people would make an issue if players are given such huge amounts, or if the players would actually decide base on who is offering better money.

I am a firm believer that players should squeeze every centavo they can get from their basketball skills and this is based on very pragmatic reasons.

-- You score 20 points in the 1st half, then you may suffer a career ending injury in the 3rd or 4th quarter. Tapos na! Kung ano man ang tatanggapin mo ay yung guaranteed part lang ng contrata mo and that contract probably has a tenor of 3 to 5 years when you signed it.

-- If you are lucky, and very, very lucky at that, you'll play for 10 or 12 or 15 years.

-- But on the average, in the absence of hard statistics, I guess it is less than 10 years.

Malinaw na napakaikli at napaka uncertain ang buhay ng basketball player. Kaya marapat na sulitin nila ang pwede nilang kitaain. Unlike if you make a career in the corporate world, you can literally have yourself employed until mandatory retirement age. Pero sa basketball?

On the argument that they are suppose to be playing for the flag; well common sense lang, kailangan mabuhay ng mga iyan at pamilya nila. Kung walang alok ang nagpapatakbo ng NT, di magtatagal at tutungo na ang mga iyan sa PBA at walang kahihinatnan ang programa ng Smart-Gilas.

agree wholeheartedly..

so..pera nga....ano ba yan

joelex
09-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Aguilar pick Smart Gilas

BANNED na sa PBA yan.
mga "mukhang pera"

wag muna questionin if magkano ang talent fee ng mga players hindi lang ang bansa natin ang nagbabayad sa mga player pati ibang bansa. Dahil ang mga player ay kailangan ding mabuhay dahil may mga pamilya sila. Anu gusto mong kainin nila Tuyo at kangkong? gaserang ilaw sa tahanan? paglalakad ang transportasyon? bigyan mo naman sila ng marangyang buhay, bansa natin ang kanilang nirerepresenta.

so pera nga diba, at hidni bansa. Youre reasoning for the opposite argument..sa madaling salita, kung mallit - walang pera, hindi bansa ang paglalaruan nyan

oca
09-07-2009, 07:08 PM
kahit papano natin pagbalibagligtarin ang usapin, the bottom line is that you can't renege on your word and expect to get away with it scot-free. if people make a big issue about money in the japeth aguilar mess, that's because it is. people who have been deluding him with the wrong advice have surely pointed out the big disparity between his standing offer at BK with that of smart gilas. the purpose is clear: they'll get a higher commission steering him to rajko toroman than to yeng guiao. they forget that by doing so, they are exposing japeth to unnecessary administrative liabilities.

if indeed the main reason why japeth backed out of burger king is his unfortunate experience with yeng guiao, why oh why wasn't it handled in a more professional manner with both sides reaching a common agreement? wala akong pakialam sa kasalukuyang estado ng PBA, kung heto nga'y cartel o old boys network, heto ang pag-usapan natin kasi heto ang isyu. may habol ang BK sa naunsyaming draft pick nila, at sinusuportahan ko ang anumang hakbang na gagawin nila upang di na maulit ang ganitong pangyayari.

Per interview on Barrios, the PBA cannot do anything until or unless BK elevates the matter to the Board.

From that, I surmise walang habol ang BK, except that they have a hold on that right for two years. Which also means they have two years to "negotiate" with Japeth, pero pag pumirma na si Japeth sa Smart-Gilas, wala na rin ang option na yan.

Pero sanay naman yata si Japeth na may sabay-sabay na contrata. ::)

oca
09-07-2009, 07:25 PM

agree wholeheartedly..

Una, my post is not limited to this case on Japeth, across the board yan.

Ikalawa, dahil hindi nga patungkol lang kay Japeth ang post na iyan, naisip ba ng iba na yung mga nandyan na sa SMART-Gilas ngayon will most likely be losing money when their contracts end, given the fact that there is no guarantee that this Smart-Gilas program will continue beyond 2012.

How?

Pagkatapos ng 2012, saan tutungo ang mga players na iyan? ... PBA? .... ano naghihintay sa kanila?

Rookie Salary Cap!

Kaya hindi pera lang ang dahilan kung sino man ang pumirma sa Smart-Gilas program.

joelex
09-08-2009, 08:57 AM

agree wholeheartedly..

Una, my post is not limited to this case on Japeth, across the board yan.

Ikalawa, dahil hindi nga patungkol lang kay Japeth ang post na iyan, naisip ba ng iba na yung mga nandyan na sa SMART-Gilas ngayon will most likely be losing money when their contracts end, given the fact that there is no guarantee that this Smart-Gilas program will continue beyond 2012.

How?

Pagkatapos ng 2012, saan tutungo ang mga players na iyan? ... PBA? .... ano naghihintay sa kanila?

Rookie Salary Cap!

Kaya hindi pera lang ang dahilan kung sino man ang pumirma sa Smart-Gilas program.

Thats a very big IF they get drafted. Some yes, most no. Among the yes, a lot will come in the 2nd round.

Signing up for Smart Gilas IMMEDIATELY solves 3 years of financial worries for them. Like I said, imagine being Magi Sison, Slaughter, Guevarra, etc BEING RECRUITED. Sa PBA, they will still have to fight for a spot even if they will be lucky enough to get drafted. And how much do end of roster guys like them get paid there anyway? Count Al Hussaini, Tiu and Buenafe as a group without an out option being under the MVP umbrella in Ateneo. Look at the castigated Menor who backed out.

Bottom line is, we dont have to go through all the legalities of the Japeth case; wala namang written contract na pinagkasunduan. But seems wala ngang value ang word of honor for you guys. Kumbaga get what you want, protect own interest at the expense of a corporation and a pro league at the beginning of your career. Time to decide was given, options were all there before committing for the draft. And the Ricky Rubio case is an entirely different scenario.

oca
09-08-2009, 09:19 AM
^
What IF they get drafted?

I never said Japeth was right, nor agreed to what he did. But I understood why and will never take it against him.

As for the rest of the guys, again, what IF they get drafted?

How highly regarded were the likes of Calma, Franz Pumaren, Yturri, Valenciano, Almario before they became regulars at NCC? How were they regarded at the end of the NCC program? Except for Codinera, Caidic and Samboy, none among the homegrown players were considered "pang PBA" before their stint at NCC. Afterwards, they benefited and the absence of the rookie salary cap worked on their favor. But for these guys at Smart-Gilas?

Japeth took a big risk with what he did. The rest also took risk of a different nature when they signed for SMART-Gilas. On that point, hindi tuwirang pera-pera ang usapan.

Ghostrider
09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
^
How highly regarded were the likes of Calma, Franz Pumaren, Yturri, Valenciano, Almario before they became regulars at NCC? How were they regarded at the end of the NCC program? Except for Codinera, Caidic and Samboy, none among the homegrown players were considered "pang PBA" before their stint at NCC. Afterwards, they benefited and the absence of the rookie salary cap worked on their favor. But for these guys at Smart-Gilas?

The guys at the NCC program were all highly regarded. Hector Calma had just led Adamson to its only (?) UAAP seniors men's basketball championship. Naning Valenciano & Alfie Almario were highly regarded gunners. Tonichi Yturri was a young center together with John Copada & the late Teddy Alfarero.

Of the names mentioned, only Franz Pumaren was considered a longshot as he was described as decent system point guard with outside range. He was handpicked by Ron Jacobs over some more visible players as he could fit his system better.

The initial players were all picked while they were in college. Subsequently, NCC management identified top HS players and encouraged them to transfer to DLSU to pave the way for entry to the national team pool.

oca
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
^
As collegiate and "amateur" players, they were. But in the context of the discussion, of making it to the PBA, as being PBA materials, they were not that highly regarded at that moment they were taken into the NCC. Of course it was a natural progression for most, as most of these players were part of the Youth team Jacobs handled.

digitalsuperman
09-09-2009, 05:54 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/columns/columns/view/20090908-224310/In-defense-of-Japeth

THE RESPONSE TO THE ARTICLE “Go, Japeth, Go” went way beyond expectations.

Obviously, the article hit a nerve. The article allowed me to communicate with people I have never met but who believed in what I wrote about. This is what makes me want to reach out to people and articulate what’s on their mind.

With their permission, I’d like to share with you two of the responses that I received via e-mail:

“I am writing from Chicago where I have been lucky enough to have seen Japs (Japeth) grow. He was a gangly uber-shy beanpole when I first met him almost five years ago.

“I have become close to the family, specially (his dad) Peter and (mom) Josie, with whom I attend Bible studies every other Sunday. This much I can say: Peter is just like any other caring father, myself included, who always has the best intentions and efforts to protect his son.

“Theirs is a God-fearing, devout Christian family that will never say anything bad about other people—no matter what. God is the center of their lives and universe and they always look to him for further guidance.

“It pains both Peter and Josie to hear of ‘bad press’ about their son. Or worse, whenever people they have entrusted their growing son to—in their physical absence—seem to take advantage of their son’s own naiveté.

“Japs is still the same shy soft-spoken individual who left Ateneo in an equally controversial move to be reunited with family and somehow have a better chance to chase an impossible dream.

“He has never been cocky nor self-centered. He values his love for his God, country and family as premiere drivers for his goals.

“Theirs is a very simple family life. No ostentatious displays, just happiest being together. Thus, why should he force himself into a situation he knows he will never be happy.

“The boy is not onion-skinned like some of you claim, this is more a factor of his innocence to the corrupt world that’s out there. He is happiest with a basketball in his hand, devising new dunks and moves. He is happiest when his family is happy.

“It pains me to think how people in high places can treat simple folks with utter disregard of human feelings.

“Mr. Manotoc was quite accurate in his observations and I am one with him in saying, Go, Japs, Go!!!”

—Roel Ramirez

“With regard to your article today in the Philippine Daily Inquirer wherein you wrote and I quote:

“The top teams, led by the San Miguel conglomerate, seem to be able to get whatever they want.

“Mr. Manotoc, I am an avid and die-hard fan of local basketball leagues dating back to the prestigious MICAA of yesteryear where I watched the likes of Carlos Loyzaga, Nano Tolentino, Carlos Badion, Loreto Carbonel, Tony Genato, Narciso Bernardo, Ed Ocampo, and the best of the best who belonged to the Golden Years of Philippine basketball.

“My love for the game spilled over to the Philippine Basketball Association when the MICAA bowed out. But it waned when, in 1989, a rookie won the MVP and Rookie of the Year awards and set a record of sorts.

“The last nail on the coffin came when this anomaly happened: One corporation owned four PBA teams.

“Yes, San Miguel Corp owned San Miguel Beer, Ginebra San Miguel, Purefoods and Coca-Cola (before it was recovered by Coca-Cola Bottling Corp. of the Philippines).

“Ever since, I only get to watch the PBA when non-Cojuangco teams are fighting for the championship.”

—Manuel Mabini Gappe (mikaelgab@yahoo.com)

Thank you to all the people who texted, wrote, e-mailed and personally called.

Send comments to tommymanotoc@yahoo.com.ph

amdgc82
10-09-2009, 07:40 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a8/MB_Logo.png/200px-MB_Logo.png
Aguilar, Burger King reach accord
Prized rookie agrees to play for Whopper in the PBA
By WAYLON GALVEZOctober 9, 2009, 5:35pm

http://www.mb.com.ph/sites/default/files/japeth_12.jpg
AGUILAR

Japeth Aguilar, regarded as the future superstar of Philippine basketball, has reportedly agreed to play for Burger King when the Philippine Basketball Association’s 35th season opens this Sunday.

If the last kinks are ironed out, Aguilar’s stint with Burger King ends weeks of recriminations during which the 6-10 former Western University player decided not to sign with the Whopper after he was picked No. 1 overall by the team in the last draft, and Burger King threatened to ban him for life from playing in the PBA.

But on Friday, the two sides appeared to have found a middle ground to satisfy their interests.

A source who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal details of the negotiation said Aguilar, 22, will suit up for the Whopper and after several games, will be traded to Talk 'N Text.

After a few more games, TNT will release Aguilar to Smart-Gilas where he will play the remainder of the PBA conference.

Aguilar’s eventual release from TNT is expected to be smooth as it is owned by businessman Manny Pangilinan who is also head of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas which bankrolls the Smart-Gilas national team.

Burger King governor and PBA chairman Lito Alvarez said he expects Aguilar to sign the P8.7 million Uniformed Players Contract (UPC) they offered.

“It’s 90 percent sure he will play for Burger King,” said Alvarez before his meeting with Aguilar and his representative Ronnie Nathanielsz yesterday.

“Our objective is for him to play for Burger King,” Alvarez said of Aguilar. Nathanielsz confirmed Alvarez’s announcement.

“We talked the whole day last Thursday, and we had a good discussion. We’re trying to have a win-win situation for everybody,” Nathanielz told the Bulletin in a phone interview.

With this development, Burger King coach Yeng Guiao said he’s happy that the issue has been resolved before the start of the new PBA season.

Guiao coached Aguilar during the Powerade Team Pilipinas’ stint in the last Asia-FIBA championship in China.

“Ang sa akin lang kasi, as long as we can have a resolution to the problem, that’s the best for all. I think makakabuti sa lahat, whatever yung resolution na yun,” Guiao said.

“As long as meron ng agreement yung mga bosses natin, agreeable na rin ako run.”

Aguilar’s stint with Whopper against Purefoods in the PBA opening game on Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum appeared a certainty after Aguilar was granted a professional license by the Games and Amusements Board, a source said.

Aguilar may have a little catching up to do in learning Guiao’s play patterns.

“Well, it depends. Kung makaka-ensayo siya bukas (today), we will run the patterns for him,” said Guiao.

“If he will be helpful to the team, of course we will use him. If not, maiintindihan naman niya siguro ‘yun.”

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo%20betaresized65.png

Japeth relents, suits up for Whoppers
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated October 10, 2009 12:00 AM

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8193/spo1h.jpg
Japeth Aguilar

MANILA, Philippines - In the end, Japeth Aguilar came to terms with Burger King, paving the way for his entry to the 35th PBA season which opens tomorrow at the Araneta Coliseum.

With the intervention of PLDT-Smart chairman Manny V. Pangilinan, Aguilar finally agreed to sign up with Burger King, the team which made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 PBA Rookie Draft.

The team was rushing Aguilar’s license with the Games and Amusements Board (GAB) as of presstime yesterday.

The Whoppers will have a special practice session at the Reyes Gym this morning to be attended by Aguilar. Afterwards, the two parties will formally sign a contract then hold a press conference.

“He settled for a one-year contract. It’s a done deal. We’ll discuss the other details tomorrow (today),” said BK top honcho and PBA board chairman Lito Alvarez.

“The most important thing is that he finally agreed to sign a contract. That’s a big concern not only for me but the team, the PBA board and the SBP (Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas). With this development, we’ve eliminated possible irritant,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez said SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan personally talked with Japeth’s father, Peter, in an overseas call to convince the family to settle their issue with Burger King.

“It took the intervention of Mr. MVP for the problem to be resolved, and I’m thankful to him,” said Alvarez. “There’s pride and principle that needed to be managed and MVP’s words of wisdom really helped.”

Among the things to be discussed by the two parties tomorrow is the delicate issue on Aguilar’s stint with both his mother club in the PBA and the Smart Gilas team.

“I’m allowing him that and I think the PBA board won’t get on the way. But to be sure that there’s no problem, we’re inviting the commissioner (Sonny Barrios) to the press conference tomorrow,” said Alvarez.

Aguilar joins the Whoppers in practice today in preparation for the season opener pitting Burger King and Purefoods.

It’s a match featuring top pick Aguilar and second selection Rico Maierhofer.

“It’s designed to be a battle between the top two picks. We’re very happy it will materialize,” said Alvarez.

Before the talk between Pangilinan and the older Aguilar, the rookie’s camp was firm on its decision to abandon Burger King and instead play for the Smart Gilas team being prepared to compete in the 2011 Fiba Asia championship.

Aguilar’s decision to reconsider and settle for a one-year pact could mean he would seek to be traded after a year’s stay with the Whoppers.

“It’s not that important. It can be resolved. The important thing really is that he’s signing up with us. With that, the PBA draft rules are not ‘bastardized’,” said Alvarez.

Alvarez’s original offer for the former Western Kentucky U player was a three-year pact involving the maximum amount allowed in the league.

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Aguilar agrees to sign 1-year deal with Whopper
10/09/2009 | 09:06 PM

The long wait for Burger King is over after controversial top overall rookie pick Japeth Aguilar finally reached an agreement with the Whopper after two days of long meetings.

Aguilar, on Friday, decided to play for Burger King for one year and will be on the Whopper bench when they take on the Purefoods TJ Giants when the PBA opens its 35th season on Sunday at the Big Dome.

The 6-foot-9 Aguilar will be wearing jersey No. 18 since his favorite number, 17, is already assigned to forward Aaron Aban.

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/infotech/lito.jpg
PBA chairman Lito Alvarez during the league's recent press launch in Makati City.

But regardless of what jersey number Aguilar wears, Burger King team manager and PBA chairman Lito Alvarez expects an exciting early collision between the top two picks in the recent Rookie Draft – Rico Maierhoffer of La Salle was chosen by Purefoods as the No. 2 pick.

“That’s very interesting to see. More than just the match up of the two teams that got involved in a lot of trade scenarios, the top two rookies will take center stage," Alvarez told GMANews.TV.

But getting Aguilar, according to Alvarez, was done with a lot of convincing as he needed the help of the cager’s camp as well as the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) officials.

The SBP-backed Smart Gilas handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman will participate as guest team in the coming conference. It was the same team Aguilar played for during the benefit game wherein they dismantled the all-pro Powerade-Pilipinas five of coach Yeng Guiao, who will also be his coach with his mother team in the PBA – Burger King.

Alvarez said some terms of Aguilar’s contract will be changed while several things will be up for discussion, one of them is whether he would only suit up for the Lina Group franchise or play simultaneously with Smart Gilas in the Philippine Cup.

“He already come to terms with us, but unlike in our initial offer where he is set to receive a three-year, P8.7-million, he will be given a one-year, P1.8-million offer," said Alvarez. “That’s because we know the potential of Japeth and how he aspires to play overseas where he also has lots of opportunities."

Alvarez added the SBP played a key role in settling Burger King’s issue with Aguilar. It will be recalled that Aguilar decided not to sign Burger King’s contract offer and instead pursued a career with the Smart Gilas developmental team.

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/sports/PBA_Ondoy_Tunying2.jpg
Japeth Aguilar of Smart Gilas completes a two-handed dunk during their charity game against the Powerade-Team Pilipinas at the Big Dome. GMANews.TV

“As early as 8:30 a.m. Thursday, Mr. Pangilinan met with us. Minalat na nga ako dahil sa tagal ng meeting namin, but it’s worth the wait," said Alvarez. “We have to postpone the decision as medyo sensitibo talaga eh. Japeth’s parents want him to play for Gilas, but Mr. Pangilinan convinced Japeth that he should come to terms with Burger King as he has become part of the problem, too."

“I saw the sincerity on the SBP officials to help resolve the issue and napakalaki ng ginawa nilang papel dito," he added.

Alvarez, who succeeded Joaqui Trillo, said that the 22-year-old Aguilar is set to secure a license from the Games and Amusement Board and is scheduled to attend Burger King’s Saturday practice.

Asked about the thoughts of being reunited with Aguilar, Guiao feels ordinary. “Parang ordinaryo lang naman eh. Sanay na ako sa sitwasyon na ganito and even mas worse pa nga yung ibang nahawakan, which include players who were head case."

“Of course, my policy with the team is no special treatment. I will give him the opportunities necessarily, but he needs to prove his worth," he added.

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.tribune.net.ph/pics/topstories_02.png

AFTER HEDGING TO SIGN CONTRACT

Japeth to play for Whoppers for a year

By Arman Carandang

10/10/2009

Burger King scored a big turnaround even before the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup could start tomorrow, after the previously reluctant Japeth Aguilar finally agreed yesterday to play for the team, ending months of hesitation to sign his contract as a pro.

The 11th minute decision by Aguilar to suit up for the Whoppers who had drafted him number one during the annual PBA Draft last August, ended weeks of suspense, guessing game — and yes, nail-biting — that had engulfed both the PBA and the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas when news on Aguilar’s refusal to honor his commitment with Burger King broke out.

The good news came from Burger King’s board representative and current PBA chairman Lito Alvarez, who said the last minute deal was also reached via the intercession of SBP’s Manny Pangilinan, who also funds the training amateur team Smart Gilas.

"MVP had finally gotten himself involved into this problem. We’re very thankful to SBP and the PBA people in putting an end to this matter," Alvarez said.

However, the 22-year-old Aguilar, who is a product of the Western Kentucky University and son of former Northern Consolidated player Peter Aguilar, will play for a maximum of one year with Burger and will receive a salary of P150,000 per month.

Aguilar will sign the contract today before he joins practice with Burger King, which will launch its campaign in the Philippine Cup tomorrow in a game with Purefoods at 6:30 p.m. at the Araneta Coliseum.

Part of the agreement is for Aguilar to also be allowed to play for Smart-Gilas which will take part in the PBA’s season-opening tournament as part of its build-up for international tournaments.

This means that Aguilar will be playing for two teams in the Philippine Cup, but will not play either with Burger King or Smart Gilas when they clash. It was not clear either whether he will play for both Burger King or Smart Gilas when the two teams have separate game schedules on a given day.

Aguilar’s decision to join Burger King made the team a truly tough customer in the prestigious All-Filipino conference. The Whoppers, formerly the Air21 Express, have never won a title since joining the league in 2000. They made the finals in 2007-2008 reinforced conference only to be fouled by Barangay Ginebra.

"Napakahirap," was how Alvarez described the negotiations, saying many hurting words were uttered before the amicable settlement was reached.

Aguilar played for Powerade-RP team that saw action in the Jones Cup and in Fiba-Asia men’s tournament in Tianjin, China. He announced his intention to join the PBA right in Taiwan, then join the Draft at home, after which the controversy erupted when he refused to honor his commitment with the Whoppers.

"I just told Japeth that he needs to be part of the solution. The good thing here is we have finally agreed to terms," said Alvarez, adding he decided to agree on one-year deal because he sensed the guy would test his luck in the US tournament.

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Aguilar decides to join burger king

Manila Times
Josef T. Ramos
Saturday, 10 October 2009 00:00

TOP rookie pick Japeth Aguilar and the Burger King Management have finally come to terms two days before the start of the 35th Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Philippine Cup on Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.
Aguilar’s agent, Ronnie Nathanielsz, informed The Manila Times that the 6’10” center would sign on Saturday Burger King’s new offer worth P1.8 million over one year or the P8.7-million three-year contract previously offered to the top rookie pick.

“Most likely he [Aguilar] would sign tomorrow to end this issue,” said Nathanielsz, who also confirmed that Aguilar will be allowed to play both in Burger King and Smart Gilas during the Philippine Cup conference.
“We will study and see it tomorrow [Saturday] but I’m confident the parents [of Aguilar] are convinced,” he said.

According to a highly-reliable source who requested anonymity, the parents of Aguilar and Japeth himself talked with Philippine Basketball Association Chairman and Burger King Team Governor Lito Alvarez on Friday to finally put the issue to rest.

“It looks like the parents of Japeth feared of what consequences await [him] if ever Japeth does not sign a contract with Burger King,” said the source. “It is not only Burger King which is very upset [over the matter] but the whole PBA as well.”

The majority of the team governors of the PBA had threatened to ban Aguilar for life if he refuses the offer of Burger King, which picked him in the first round of the 2009 rookie draft.

But with everything almost cleared up, Alvarez said he is confident Aguilar would sign the contract offered to him on Saturday without any hesitation.

“Imagine Japeth would earn millions playing for Burger King and Smart Gilas, so I’m sure the parents [of Aguilar] would not let this opportunity pass up,” said Alvarez.

On Thursday, Alvarez said he was expecting Aguilar to play for Burger King when the Whoppers play Purefoods in the opening day of 35th PBA Philippine Cup. In fact, Alvarez already prepared a jersey for Aguilar.

Aguilar proved his worth as the top draft pick when he scored 24 points on Monday to lead Smart Gilas to a 98-69 victory against the all-professional Powerade team Pilipinas squad in a charity game for the victims of the storms and heavy rains that recently hit the country.

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/images/mst/0.jpg

Whopper, Aguilar come to terms

by Rey Joble

BRING on Burger King’s jersey no.18. That belongs to Japeth Aguilar.

Two days before the opening of the Philippine Basketball Association’s 35th season, Aguilar and Burger King finally reached an accord.

The 6’9” former Western Kentucky University standout will start playing for the Burger King Whopper beginning Sunday against Purefoods in a game, where the top two rookie picks—Aguilar and no. 2 overall choice Rico Maierhofer of the Giants—will take centerstage.

Burger King team manager and newly-installed PBA chairman Lito Alvarez told Standard Today that the young cager has agreed to come to terms with the team and will sign his contract today. But there would be some changes on the terms of the contract, while several things will still be up for discussion. One of them is whether Aguilar would only suit up for the Lina Group franchise or also play with guest team Smart Gilas in the Philippine Cup.

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas-backed Smart Gilas, handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, will participate as guest team in the coming conference.

“Japeth has already come to terms with us, but unlike in our initial offer, where he is set to receive a three-year, P8.7-million paycheck, he will be given a one-year, P1.8-million offer instead,” said Alvarez. “That’s because we know the potential of Japeth and how he aspires to play overseas, where he also has lots of opportunities.”

Alvarez also added that the people from the SBP played a key role in mediating between Aguilar and Burger King. It will be recalled that the cager decided not to sign the contract offer of Burger King and instead wanted a career with the Smart Gilas developmental team.

Alvarez met with Aguilar’s camp, and officials of SBP led by Manny Pangilinan, Ricky Vargas, Noli Eala and Pato Gregorio, early Thursday morning, but the talks went on a deadlock before the PLDT top honcho called a halt at the height of Ateneo’s title conquest in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines .

Ateneo is one of the teams Pangilinan is supporting aside from San Beda, Smart Gilas and Talk N Text in the PBA.

“As early as 8:30 a.m. Thursday, Mr. Pangilinan met with us. Minalat na nga ako dahil sa tagal ng meeting namin, but it’s worth the wait,” said Alvarez. “We have to postpone the decision dahil medyo sensitibo talaga. Japeth’s parents want him to play for Gilas, but Mr. Pangilinan convinced Japeth that he should come to terms with Burger King as he has become part of the problem, too. I saw the sincerity on the SBP officials to help resolve the issue and napakalaki ng ginawa nilang papel dito.”

The new chairman, who succeeded Joaqui Trillo, also disclosed that the 22-year-old player will secure a license from the Games and Amusement Board and is scheduled to attend practice of Burger King today.

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 01:10 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/MB_Logo.png

Aguilar, Burger King reach accord
Prized rookie agrees to play for Whopper in the PBA
By WAYLON GALVEZ
October 9, 2009, 5:35pm

http://www.mb.com.ph/sites/default/files/japeth_12.jpg

Japeth Aguilar, regarded as the future superstar of Philippine basketball, has reportedly agreed to play for Burger King when the Philippine Basketball Association’s 35th season opens this Sunday.

If the last kinks are ironed out, Aguilar’s stint with Burger King ends weeks of recriminations during which the 6-10 former Western University player decided not to sign with the Whopper after he was picked No. 1 overall by the team in the last draft, and Burger King threatened to ban him for life from playing in the PBA.

But on Friday, the two sides appeared to have found a middle ground to satisfy their interests.

A source who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal details of the negotiation said Aguilar, 22, will suit up for the Whopper and after several games, will be traded to Talk 'N Text.

After a few more games, TNT will release Aguilar to Smart-Gilas where he will play the remainder of the PBA conference.

Aguilar’s eventual release from TNT is expected to be smooth as it is owned by businessman Manny Pangilinan who is also head of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas which bankrolls the Smart-Gilas national team.

Burger King governor and PBA chairman Lito Alvarez said he expects Aguilar to sign the P8.7 million Uniformed Players Contract (UPC) they offered.

“It’s 90 percent sure he will play for Burger King,” said Alvarez before his meeting with Aguilar and his representative Ronnie Nathanielsz yesterday.

“Our objective is for him to play for Burger King,” Alvarez said of Aguilar. Nathanielsz confirmed Alvarez’s announcement.

“We talked the whole day last Thursday, and we had a good discussion. We’re trying to have a win-win situation for everybody,” Nathanielz told the Bulletin in a phone interview.

With this development, Burger King coach Yeng Guiao said he’s happy that the issue has been resolved before the start of the new PBA season.

Guiao coached Aguilar during the Powerade Team Pilipinas’ stint in the last Asia-FIBA championship in China.

“Ang sa akin lang kasi, as long as we can have a resolution to the problem, that’s the best for all. I think makakabuti sa lahat, whatever yung resolution na yun,” Guiao said.

“As long as meron ng agreement yung mga bosses natin, agreeable na rin ako run.”

Aguilar’s stint with Whopper against Purefoods in the PBA opening game on Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum appeared a certainty after Aguilar was granted a professional license by the Games and Amusements Board, a source said.

Aguilar may have a little catching up to do in learning Guiao’s play patterns.

“Well, it depends. Kung makaka-ensayo siya bukas (today), we will run the patterns for him,” said Guiao.

“If he will be helpful to the team, of course we will use him. If not, maiintindihan naman niya siguro ‘yun.”

D_I_A
10-10-2009, 01:23 AM
http://www.journal.com.ph/images/ads_house/online.gif

October 10, 2009 06:25 PM Saturday
Japeth makes up mind, signs up with BK
By: Zean Macamay

Game Tomorrow: (Araneta Coliseum)

4:30 p.m. – Opening ceremonies
6:30 p.m. – Burger King vs. Purefoods

JAPETH Aguilar has finally decided to choose what’s best for him – sign up with Burger King and avoid being banned from the Philippine Basketball Association.

The controversial No. 1 draft pick on Thursday night agreed to play for the Whoppers in the season-opening Philippine Cup, ending his agonizing problem that nearly started a rift between the two biggest basketball groups in the country.

The 22-year -old product of Western Kentucky University, though, merely consented to a one-year deal with Burger King. He also earned a right to still play for Smart-Gilas, which will compete in the PBA tournament, but will not see action for either Burger King and Smart-Gilas if ever the teams collide.

“Napakahirap,” said PBA Chairman and Bur-ger King team manager Lito Alvarez when asked about how the negotiations went through. “Marami ng masakit na salita ang nabitawan from both camps.

“I just told Japeth that he needs to be a part of the solution. The good thing here is that we have finally agreed to terms.”

Aguilar will thus receive the maximum allowable pay for a rookie worth P150,000 a month. He will sign up with the Whoppers this morning before the team’s practice.

“Nag-agree na rin ako na one-year lang because in my assessment he wants to test the waters in the U.S.,” said Alvarez. “If there’s a player right now who has a chance of playing in the National Developmental Basketball League (in the U.S.), I think it’s him (Aguilar).”

Alvarez said that the pact could not have been arrived at if not for the intervention of Manny V. Pangilinan, the Talk ‘N Text team owner and Chairman of the Sama-hang Basketball ng Pilipinas, the amateur governing body that bankrolls the Smart-Gilas ball club.

“The key here is the participation of MVP,” said Alvarez. “At the same time, nakita ko rin yung sincerity ng SBP to resolve the issue.”

Aguilar’s decision to sign up with Burger King now transforms the team into an instant darkhorse. The Whoppers have not yet won a PBA title since joining the league in 2000. The best they could come up with was a runner-up finish in the 2007-08 Fiesta Conference.

Coach Yeng Guiao now has the figure to man the slot for him, a player he picked to be a part of the Powerade-Team Pilipinas team that competed in the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tianjin, China.

But because of the limited practice time Aguilar has with Burger King, Guiao suspects that the former Ateneo slotman would not get much playing time right away.

“Well, it depends. Kung makakapag-ensayo siya bukas (today), we will run the patterns for him. If he will be helpful to the team, of course we will use him. If not, maiintindihan naman niya siguro ‘yun,” said Guiao.

The Whoppers will see action tomorrow, facing a Purefoods team that has been made stronger with the re-acquisition of Marc Pingris, a former Finals MVP.

Although very young at 22, Aguilar’s stamina will be tested since he will play for two teams. Alvarez said that the Whoppers and the PBA will still have to talk it out on how to treat the situation.

Smart-Gilas, the team tasked to reclaim an Olympic Games berth in 2012 in London, has been allowed to play as a guest team but is not permitted to win the championship. Smart-Gilas will merely see action in the eliminations or for 20 games.

Wins and defeats by Smart-Gilas, though, will count. Alvarez said that that has been the decision by the PBA Board to treat games against the Nationals with importance.

joelex
10-10-2009, 07:05 AM
2 days before the pro league opens, the rumor that has been floating around for weeks is now confirmed and Aguilar and his handlers has executed a master plan to save face and to satisfy all parties involved. From the beginning we all know the ending of this movie and that is Aguilar playing for MVP backed Talk and Text eventually. Since MVP is also a stakeholder of Burger King, negotiations for this deal shouldn't present too much of a problem.

With TNT and BK handled by the most powerful man in RP basketball, a 3rd team in the PBA to match SMC shouldnt be a far-fetched idea. Dont be surprised if Barako Bull is that 3rd team and openly becomes part of the MVP stable soon, if rumors that Mr Pangilinan is the signatory of their paychecks are indeed true.

oca
10-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Salamat kung matatapos na itong isyung ito. Nakakasuka na kasing masulyapan yung mga nalalathalang pahayag ng mga taga-PBA tungkol dito.

oca
10-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Pangungunahan ko na.

Do not expect Japeth to play well with BK. His heart is not there. For those who says he must be professional enough to play to expectations... Well, sabihin niyo muna yang salitang "professional" na yan sa mga namamahala at nagpapatakbo ng BK, bago ibato kay Japeth.

joelex
10-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Pangungunahan ko na.

Do not expect Japeth to play well with BK. His heart is not there. For those who says he must be professional enough to play to expectations... Well, sabihin niyo muna yang salitang "professional" na yan sa mga namamahala at nagpapatakbo ng BK, bago ibato kay Japeth.

Are you saying he has the right to play below par only because the team that drafted him is "unprofessional"...?

oca
10-10-2009, 11:02 PM
It is not a "right". Just don't expect.

dark_seid
10-11-2009, 12:04 PM
^ it's more like he won't kill himself doing drills during practice. and he won't exert that extra effort to grab a rebound that bounce out of his position.

chorizo
10-11-2009, 12:30 PM
^ it's more like he won't kill himself doing drills during practice. and he won't exert that extra effort to grab a rebound that bounce out of his position.

Add to that, BK's coach wouldn't know how to use him properly. Clueless.

oca
10-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Add to that, BK's coach wouldn't know how to use him properly. Clueless.

Sana mas elaborate ng kaunti ang iyong pagkakahayag.

Pero I still disagree with what you said. Yeng Guiao would know what to make of that height of his.

Yun nga lang, ibang-iba yan sa kung ano nilalaro ni Japeth sa Gilas. ;)

myktristan
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Giants tower over Whoppers
By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/topstories/topstories/view/20091012-229597/Giants-tower-over-Whoppers

MANILA, Philippines - The Purefoods Giants put on a show of energy and athleticism, foiling Japeth Aguilar’s debut with Burger King in a 93-80 rout that kicked off the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Giants, running and gunning at every opportunity and pounding the Whoppers off the boards, took a 65-39 lead midway through the third period and never looked back.

“It’s always nice to win the first game,” said Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio. “At least for this particular game, we were witnesses to a game where the wheeling and dealing in the off-season worked.

“Yes, we want to start on the right foot, but it takes so many games to reach the destination where we want to be in,” he added. “This is pretty much a good indicator of the things to come (for us) in the conference.”

Rafi Reavis, playing in his first match in a Purefoods uniform, scored 14 points and grabbed 20 rebounds for the Giants in dominating his matchup with Aguilar.

“I’m just a guy trying to do his job,” Reavis said after the match. “I’ve been put on this team for a reason and I’m just trying to do what I can to help the team win.”

Aguilar, the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft who stirred a controversy when he initially opted to turn his back on Burger King, showed little signs of his potential as he quietly finished with 10 points and nine rebounds.

“To be honest, I did not put so much emphasis on Japeth opting to play for Burger King (at the last minute),” Gregorio said. “I just told the team that we just have to get things done, to do what we prepared for in the off-season.”

And it seems that things aren’t over for the former Western Kentucky University reserve. Aguilar is reportedly going to be traded after playing just one game with the Whoppers.

The Giants made 71 percent of their shots in the second quarter and raced to an early 42-22 lead behind Kerby Raymundo as their athleticism had the Whoppers reeling early.

The energetic Purefoods frontline also grabbed 12 of the game’s first 17 offensive boards—including six by Reavis—to set up more chances against Burger King, which couldn’t get Aguilar into the flow early.

The Giants also benefited from their recruits, with Rico Maierhofer, Paul Artadi and Reavis contributing 15 of their first 30 points.

Artadi even hit the season’s first three-point shot—the first since the league went back to its original distance—after both teams combined to miss the first 11 shots from the new range.

The Whoppers made some sort of a mini-run early in the fourth to get to within 15, but Reavis made four straight points and Maierhofer nailed a tough shot despite being sandwiched by two defenders as the Giants stormed right back ahead, 78-57.

Chico Lanete, who played for Purefoods the previous season, finished with 14 points to lead Burger King.

The league simplified its opening ceremony to generate savings that it will channel to a charity drive for storm victims.

It paid tribute to its golden era, with past greats Manny Paner, Freddie Hubalde, Philip Cezar and Atoy Co joining the opening along with Allan Cadic, Samboy Lim, Alvin patrimonio, Hector Calma and Ronnie Magsanoc.

Former Sen. Robert Jaworski highlighted the league’s opening by taking part in the ceremonial tipoff.

The scores:
First game
PUREFOODS 93—Raymundo 19, Simon 17, Reavis 14, Yap J. 12, Maierhofer 9, Yap R. 6, Allado 6, Artadi 5, Canaleta 3, Pingris 2, Timberlake 0.

BURGER KING 80—Lanete 14, David 13, Arboleda 11, Aguilar 10, Quinahan 8, Buenafe 7, Yee 5, Matias 4, Yee 4, Belga 2, Sharma 2, Aban 0.
Quarters: 21-14, 43-31, 72-52, 93-80
================================================== ====================
An impending trade for Japeth? Who gets him? TNT maybe? Hmm...Something's cooking up...^_^

D_I_A
10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Burger King trades away controversial rookie Aguilar
10/12/2009 | 09:00 PM

Controversial rookie Japeth Aguilar’s first game with Burger King also proved to be his last.

In yet another twist in the never-ending saga involving the lanky, 6-foot-10 freshman, the Whopper management announced that it is trading away Aguilar in a shocking development that rocked the PBA Philippine Cup still at its infant stage.

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/infotech/japeth%20bk.jpg
Japeth Aguilar during Sunday's PBA opening ceremonies. Jeff Venancio

Aguilar is expected to end up with the team he wants to play for – the RP-Smart Gilas team - but will have to be traded first to Barako Bull and eventually, shipped to Talk `N Text. The Tropang Texters then will unload him to the national team.

Handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, the Smart-Gilas team is being bankrolled by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP), the amateur governing body headed by Talk ‘N Text owner Manny V. Pangilinan.

Barako Bull had to act as conduit to the trade since Burger King and Talk`N Text can’t be involved in a direct deal as per PBA rules since Pangilinan has stakes in both franchises.

PBA chairman and Burger King representative to the league Board Lito Alvarez made the announcement inside the Whopper’s dugout shortly after the team lost to Purefoods, 93-80, on Sunday.

His statement caught the whole team by surprise as the Whopper stayed in their dugout for about two hours following the game.

Aguilar, who had stints with Western Kentucky University in the US NCAA, had 10 points, nine rebounds and a shot block in 24 minutes of action during his PBA debut.

More comfortable with Gilas

“Japeth really wants to play for Smart-Gilas," said Ronnie Nathanielz, Aguilar’s manager-adviser. “He is more comfortable there and he thinks that he can learn more from (Rajko) Toroman."

Burger King coach Yeng Guiao said letting go of a player who from the start appeared not really inclined to play for the team could yet be the best answer to the situation.

“Maganda na rin yan sa isang banda. At least, hindi lang isang kampo ang masaya," said Guiao, who also handled Aguilar with the Powerade-Team Pilipinas squad in the FIBA Asia Championship.

“Besides, we’ve prepared naman for the season without Japeth."

In return for trading the year’s top rookie pick, Burger King will get the No. 2 and 3 picks of Talk 'N Text in the 2010-11 Draft, assuring the Whopper of owning the top three selections since it already has the right on the No. 1 pick.

Aguilar is expected to suit up for Smart-Gilas on Friday when it takes on Burger King. The Nationals will only play for 10 games in the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup (the first round of the eliminations) before they compete in a series of tournaments overseas.

The 22-year-old Aguilar earlier became the center of controversy for refusing to join Burger King and deciding to hook up with the Smart Gilas squad instead. Facing possible ban from the pro-league, Aguilar eventually agreed to ink a one-year pact with Burger King worth P1.8 million in time for Sunday’s PBA opening.

D_I_A
10-12-2009, 10:55 PM
http://www.malaya.com.ph/imges/sports.jpg

Hello and goodbye
After 1 game with Burger, Aguilar traded to Barako

BY NOLI CORTEZ

JAPETH Aguilar’s basketball tale continues to unravel.

Malaya sources yesterday revealed the beanpole forward has played his first and last game with Burger King last Sunday in the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup and is destined to make several stops before winding up in his ultimate destination.

Only a day after Aguilar said he intends to settle down with the Whoppers, team insiders revealed Aguilar has been traded to Barako Bull for two future draft picks after negotiations that were sealed right after the Whoppers lost to the Purefoods Giants 80-93 in the season-opening game at the Araneta Coliseum.

New PBA chairman and Whoppers team manager Lito Alvarez could not be contacted for comment while new Barako Bull team manager Jay Dee denied any knowledge of the trade. According to PBA Media Bureau chief Willie Marcial, the league’s Commissioner’s Office has yet to receive any official word on the trade.

But team insiders said it was Alvarez himself who announced the trade in the gloomy team dugout after the Purefoods game.

"Nandu’n din si Japeth nu’ng ini-announce ni Mr. Alvarez," said a team insider.

Other knowledgeable sources maintained Aguilar will simply pass through the Energy Boosters before winding up in his ultimate destination–the Talk N Text Tropang Texters via the SBP’s developmental pool of Smart Gilas.

There are widespread speculations the Tropang Texters, the Philippine Cup defending champions, will give up a prime player–reportedly a forward–and a future first round draft pick for Aguilar, with the package winding up with the Whoppers.

Burger King already owns three first round picks in each of the next three years and will allegedly gladly give up at least one of them to acquire the unnamed but reportedly tested forward.

These developments, should they eventually play out, should sit well with some Burger King players who reportedly look at Aguilar as more of a distraction than a vital cog in their campaign.

The 6-foot-9 Aguilar created a big issue by initially snubbing BK’s three-year contract offer worth the league maximum of P8.7 million, opting instead to try his luck with Smart Gilas, the developmental team gearing up for future international competitions, including the 2011 qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics.

The impasse was broken last Friday when Alvarez, Aguilar’s party and the SBP reached an agreement that will have the player suiting up for BK for only one year. The Whoppers also agreed to lend Aguilar to Smart Gilas if the need arises.

The deal was formally sealed last Saturday when Aguilar signed a contract that will pay him P150,000 a month. That salary could be doubled by Smart Gilas, which is set to offer Aguilar a separate contract. Smart Gilas is entered in the Philippine Cup as guest team.

The most recent development should please Aguilar since he has previously stated he wants to further hone and develop his skills while representing the country with Smart Gilas, before plunging full-time in the pro league.

Last Sunday, the former Ateneo and Western Kentucky U product finished with 10 points (on 3-of-5 field shooting), nine rebounds, two assists and a block in 24 minutes coming off the bench. Some fans, however, jeered Aguilar whenever he touched the ball or when he was attempting free throws.

Purefoods’ seasoned veterans in Kerby Raymundo and Rafi Reavis often took Aguilar to school and wound up with 19 points and nine rebounds and 14 and 20, respectively, as they propped the Giants’ bid to establish control early in the game.

Raymundo’s three-point play off Aguilar highlighted Purefoods’ domination of the match as it gave the Giants a 45-22 spread late in the second period.

Rico Maierhofer, drafted second behind Aguilar, also had a decent debut with nine points and eight rebounds in 26 minutes.

After the game Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio said he was more concerned with how his team executed on both ends of the floor than on Aguilar, but stated he saw promise in the young player.

"Japeth was not really given much emphasis but obviously he can really make that team go. He’s such a tremendous individual talent and anytime he dons a particular jersey he can make that team win," Gregorio said.

"It might take time," he added. "Given the time he’ll definitely be as good as advertised."

D_I_A
10-13-2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo_PStar.gif

Japeth returns to Smart Gilas
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated October 13, 2009 12:00 AM
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1250/spo1.jpg
Japeth Aguilar drives past Marc Pingris of Purefoods in his only game with the Burger King at the Big Dome last Sunday. JUN MENDOZA

MANILA, Philippines - After playing just one game with Burger King, top PBA draftee Japeth Aguilar is returning to the Smart Gilas team.

Burger King top official Lito Alvarez announced the new development to the Whoppers in a huddle after the team took an 80-93 defeat to the Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants in the kickoff game of the 2009-2010 KFC PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum last Sunday.

“Mr. Alvarez thanked Japeth for becoming a part of the team then announced what’s apparently a prior arrangement. I don’t know the details but I think Japeth is going back to Smart Gilas,” BK coach Yeng Guiao told The STAR.

“I was asked by our boss of my opinion and I said it’s up to them to make the decision. This may really be the best solution to the problem. Now it’s closed and the distraction is over,” Guiao said.

“For sure, our boss will not give away Japeth without getting anything in return. In the end, everybody’s happy. It’s better than Japeth playing for us but he’s not happy,” said Guiao.

Alvarez had earlier said his main concern was to keep integrity of the PBA draft system.

There was no official statement from Alvarez despite repeated calls from The STAR. It was Alvarez who pursued the top amateur draft pick to honor his commitment to the team and at one time raised the threat of lifetime ban on Aguilar.

Alvarez apparently made an arrangement with the Smart-PLDT group, getting Aguilar to play one game with the Whoppers then immediately dealing him back to the Gilas team.

Since Gilas is not a PBA member ballclub, Burger King is taking the Talk n Text route to send Aguilar back to Gilas.

And since Burger King and Talk n Text are considered sister teams under the Manny V. Pangilinan group, Barako Bull will reportedly be used as the conduit in the BK-TNT trade transaction.

BK is getting future draft picks with monetary consideration likely to be part of the deal.

“We’ll be okay without Japeth. We’ve made preparations for the season without him,” said Guiao.

Aguilar is expected to show up with the Gilas team as it plays its first game as guest team in the all-Filipino tourney versus the Whoppers themselves on Friday, also at the Big Dome.

With only one practice with the Whoppers, Aguilar struggled in his pro debut, humbled by Purefoods new recruit Rafi Reavis.

He made 10 points on 2-of-7 field-goal shooting and 6-of-10 free throws.

“I don’t know what their plan with Japeth is. But Peter (Japeth’s US-based father) made it clear, Japeth’s playing for Smart Gilas,” said veteran newsman Ronnie Nathanielzs, the agent-manager of the controversial player.

Meanwhile, Coke has acquired Wesley Gonzales from the free agent pool to boost its roster.