atenean_blooded
08-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Best: Araneta

Worst: Rizal Memorial

BedanRoar
08-18-2009, 08:42 AM

Napaka luma na naman ng Rizal Memorial. But, I think it's under renovation already?

nnahoj
08-18-2009, 10:53 AM

dahil ba malapit sa Taft? ;)

anyway, i like watching games in Rizal Memorial even if the facilities are not that good. there is a sense of history in that place. i do hope they finish renovating the place.

bg_eagle
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM

anyway, i like watching games in Rizal Memorial even if the facilities are not that good. there is a sense of history in that place. i do hope they finish renovating the place.

Maybe its because may nananakawan sa locker rooms doon?

BedanRoar
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I think your referring to Ninoy Aquino Stadium kung saan nagkaroon ng nakawan sa dugout.

atenean_blooded
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Well, yes, because it's near that dreadful part of Manila, but largely also because of the smell and the terrible, terrible heat.

nnahoj
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
^^^

dreadful is such a strong word. ;D well anyway, to each his own.

RockLobster
08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I think dreadful in many ways to atenean_blooded. For one thing, RMC is right behind, you know... that school that... you know... ;D

For others, including me, dreadful because of safety and security reasons--kung sa loob ng RMC, nananakawan ang mga players, eh paano pa kaya kung sa labas?

Teka, sorry, sa RMC ba o sa Ninoy Aquino Stadium 'yung panasok 'yung locker room ng mga junior players nung school right behind RMC that, you know... At any rate, isang compound lang halos 'yung dalawang venue na 'yan, kaya you won't feel safe in either.

But maybe the renovation will help. Shouldn't be limited though to upgrading the facility itself, but should also include upgrading the maintenance and security of the whole complex.

pio_valenz
08-18-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't know, but I've always enjoyed watching games in earthy, funky venues like the RMC and BEG. There's a certain basketball purity to those places, and yes, a sense of nostalgia as well. maybe it's because as a student in the 80s I used to watch junior action at the BEG (then known as the Loyola Center) and senior action mostly at the RMC.

I also like Araneta, of course, because it's so easy to get a good meal and a few drinks after games.

I really don't like the NAS, though.

maroonmartian
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Dami nagreply. I think we should set some parameters on what makes a venue the "best" for UAAP basketball.
My first rule is : value for your money.
Here are my other criterias (being an avid UAAP fan):
1) accessibilty-- madaming transpo system na connected
2) state of its facilities- CR, ceiling, light, court, seats
3) aircon
4) nearness to a business district-- after the game you want to eat or buy some stuffs
5) number of scalpers
6) seating capacity

So far, the Araneta really is the best venue. I just hope Mar Roxas do some renovations there.

atenean_blooded
08-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Yes, dreadful is a strong word. I stand by it because save for things like La Salle, CSB, and maybe the Supreme Court complex (although it's quite some distance down the road), that part of Metro Manila is dreadful in the sense that it is congested, terribly polluted, relatively unsafe--as pointed out--, and slowly but surely falling into a state of urban decay. Of course, that area is better than, say, the Recto or U-Belt area. I am sure there is a more appropriate word for those places, but it eludes me at the moment.

It is a far cry, for example, from the other parts of Manila like Intramuros (an obvious, if extreme example), or the vicinity of the National Museum, or those parts closer to the bay.

Dreadful because the RMC is behind La Salle? Not really. La Salle is probably the cleanest and safest place in that area.

I don't mind watching games in "earthy, funky venues," as Pio calls them. By all means, keep them in an earthy, funky state. Just keep security up, I guess.

The Ninoy Aquino Stadium's only saving grace, for me, is the fact that it is air-conditioned. But as a venue, it's also terrible. It also has that "earthy, funky" smell (made worse by the sometimes "earthy, funky" airconditioning). But that's not even too bad, come to think of it. What makes the NAS terrible is that it's a firetrap, and people will probably die trying to get out if anything bad happens.

RMC is worse, because it's similar to the NAS in that sense, only that there's no "redemption" in the form of airconditioning.

atenean_blooded
08-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Dami nagreply. I think we should set some parameters on what makes a venue the "best" for UAAP basketball.
My first rule is : value for your money.
Here are my other criterias (being an avid UAAP fan):
1) accessibilty-- madaming transpo system na connected
2) state of its facilities- CR, ceiling, light, court, seats
3) aircon
4) nearness to a business district-- after the game you want to eat or buy some stuffs
5) number of scalpers
6) seating capacity

So far, the Araneta really is the best venue. I just hope Mar Roxas do some renovations there.

Interesting criteria, although I think #5 is going to be a bit hard to determine with a lot of certainty.

Maybe we can eliminate the thing about # of scalpers, and then assign a total of 20 points per criterion, for a total of 100 possible points. Para naman quantitative. ;D Or do you think we should assign weight differently?

I think we should also consider security as part of the facilities, as well as parking.

Let's try listing some venues where the UAAP has held games for at least the past decade, and try to evaluate them in light of those criteria. I can think of:

1. Araneta Coliseum (all games)
2. ULTRA (men's basketball)
3. Blue Eagle Gym (men's, juniors basketball)
4. Ninoy Aquino Stadium (men's basketball)
5. Rizal Memorial Coliseum (men's basketball, not too sure how often women's and juniors games were held here)
6. Cuneta Astrodome (men's basketball)
7. The Arena in San Juan (juniors basketball, not sure if women's ball is played here too)
8. UST Gym (women's basketball)
9. FEU Gym (women's basketball, juniors too)

We had some games played at the Makati Coliseum, but last I checked, it's not in use anymore. I do not know if we want to speculate about other possible venues (Ynares, etc.).

james_ty
08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Makati Coliseum is now used more for cockfights. However, some games in the PCCL eliminations were held there last year.

maroonmartian
08-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Blue Eagle gym (BEG) and Arena in San Juan aside from being used in Volleyball is also used for Women's basketball. I think the playoffs and Final Four games would be held in Arena for Women's basketball (they used it last year).

tigerman
08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I think we should also include the parking capacity as a criteria.

Just a question: Madami bang parking spaces sa The Arena?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Tanopoman
08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
how bout the incoming gym of UST? would it accomodate the crowd for UAAP Men's Basketball?

razor
08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I think we should also include the parking capacity as a criteria.

Just a question: Madami bang parking spaces sa The Arena?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The multi-level parking is not enough. If you come late, you can find parking on the side streets.

airballmen
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Araneta, of course. :D

http://airballmen.blogspot.com

maroonmartian
08-20-2009, 05:45 PM
how bout the incoming gym of UST? would it accomodate the crowd for UAAP Men's Basketball?

Sana lang yung gym niyo ay may aircon at more car parking space. San pala yan? If you pass Espana kaya ba yan. Honestly napakainit sa FEU gym. So please if aircon ang UST gym, go!!

pepman
08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Araneta
BEG
The Arena

stonecold316
08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Araneta Coliseum and Arena in San Juan
Pareho kasing accessible sakin to.

Renovated na daw Rizal Memorial Coliseum.

pepman
08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Araneta Coliseum and Arena in San Juan
Pareho kasing accessible sakin to.

Renovated na daw Rizal Memorial Coliseum.

Nice! Ano raw ang na-renovate?

Emon74
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Nostalgic na Rizal Memorial, I think the Arena in San Juan is the best venue for collegiate basketball right now.

kung maayos lang ulit ang ULTRA like the one we have known before, mas convenient sa parking space.

maroonmartian
05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
^ What's common among the Ninoy Aquino and Rizal Memorial Stadium and the ULTRA. PSC owned (hence government funded). Neglect by the government. I could attest to that to some of the poor sports facilities (good at first but just mismanaged) in some of the state universities and colleges. The Arena in San Juan on the other hand is owned by the municipal government but has entered into some private company partnerships (like the FilOil and Flying V company).

Bakit di kaya ganun ang gawin sa ULTRA? Suggestion lang.

kerouac82
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
^ What's common among the Ninoy Aquino and Rizal Memorial Stadium and the ULTRA. PSC owned (hence government funded). Neglect by the government. I could attest to that to some of the poor sports facilities (good at first but just mismanaged) in some of the state universities and colleges. The Arena in San Juan on the other hand is owned by the municipal government but has entered into some private company partnerships (like the FilOil and Flying V company).

Bakit di kaya ganun ang gawin sa ULTRA? Suggestion lang.

Actually, if you've been watching the PBA games lately, you might notice that the Ninoy Aquino Stadium has been renovated. New paint, new flooring, even airconditioning.

Yung Philsports, PSC din ang may-ari. Another good city-owned venue is the Ynares Sports Arena on the old Rizal Provincial Capitol site along Shaw, although it holds only 3,000 spectators.

pepman
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Can I add Ninoy Aquino Stadium to the list? Maganda na raw doon eh at de-air-con