PDA

View Full Version : And the Turf Wars Begin.. SBP Says No More Pros in International Stints

CrossOver
08-17-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo_PStar.gif

PBA still best source of RP players, says Guiao
By Nelson Beltran
Updated August 17, 2009 12:00 AM

TIANJIN – Powerade Team Pilipinas may not be the last all-PBA selection playing in international competition after all.

That’s if Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and the Philippine Basketball Association can come up with another agreement calling on pro players to represent the country again in future international competitions.

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios has kept an open mind on the possibility of the PBA continuing to help in the formation of the national team.

The PBA chief said he will seek the opinion of the board of governors.

Coach Yeng Guiao has suggested that the PBA put in place a continuing program for the RP team, believing the best players in the country are still in the pro league.

“I believe the heart of coach Yeng as a Filipino was touched by this experience of his. He talked to me personally and asked me in the nicest of terms to open my mind to the PBA continuing to help out the national cause,” said Barrios.

“He’s seen here that if we are going to do well internationally especially in the Asian region, the PBA must open its mind and I suppose he wants to start with me as the commissioner,” he said.

“His point is that the peak of a player is from age 26-28. I looked at the program of this tournament, and that’s the ages of players from China, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan and even Korea. Coach Yeng’s question is where are those players in the Philippines? It’s in the PBA.”

If the PBA board also opens its mind on the idea, Barrios said he’s ready to sit down in a meeting with the SBP.

“Fortunately for the country, we had been complaining that there is no long term program by the NSA. Now we have one under Mr. Manny V. Pangilinan,” said Barrios.

“With what SBP is doing and with the input of coach Yeng, perhaps if we all talk together as Filipinos wanting to do good for the best of Filipino basketball, then we can most likely achieve something more than what we have achieved here so far,” Barrios said.

Barrios believes the PBA board would give its blessing for as long as it can help the national team without weakening the league.

“It’s like a corporation being asked of donations by charitable institutions. Before you can donate, you have to be financially viable,” said Barrios.

“We have to look at the scheduling, how can we do it again without weakening the PBA because we don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg. It’s understood by everybody. Nobody wants to kill the PBA,” he added.

Guiao has also sounded off his idea to Sta. Lucia top official Buddy Encarnado. Guiao is to put in writing his concept which Encarnado promised to tackle with the board.

Prior to this, the PBA was ready with its exit plan with regards to helping the national team with SBP’s Smart Gilas team taking over for the 2011 FIBA Asia Championship campaign.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=496781&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

Move on na tayo sana mas epektibo na ang programang mabuo sa pagitan ng SBP & PBA salamat naman at nagbago na ulit ang isip ng PBA
Next mission 2011 FIBA Asia.

CrossOver
08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/MB_Logo.png

Barrios open to RP pool of PBA cagers
By WAYLON GALVEZ
August 16, 2009, 7:39pm

TIANJIN, China – PBA Commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios on Sunday said he’s open to the proposal of coach Yeng Guiao to maintain a pool of PBA players for future international meets and will get the consensus of the PBA board of governors once they're home.

Barrios is deviating from his previous announcement that the Powerade-Team Pilipinas that finished eighth in the just-ended FIBA-Asia event will be the last team to be formed and trained by the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

What prompted Barrios to reconsider his position was Guiao’s convincing arguments and the experience he felt during the Asian event.

“Let me put it this way, I too, my heart too as a Filipino was touched by the experience here. Sinasabi ko naman sa inyo this is something new to me, pero nakita ko ‘yung fervor nung paglumalaban ka para sa bayan, ibang klase nga,” Barrios said.

Barrios said he understands the sentiments of Guiao.

“I believe the heart of coach Yeng as a Filipino was touched by this experience,” Barrios said. “So he talked to me personally one-on-one and asked me in the nicest of terms to open my mind to the PBA continuing to help out the national cause by allowing its players to play.”

Guiao believes that the Filipinos can compete given the right training and preparation, according to Barrios who will bring up the matter in the next meeting of the PBA board of governors.

Barrios said the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) will also be consulted with regards to PBA’s plans.

He commended the efforts taken by the SBP in forming the Smart-Gilas development pool under Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman.

“With what SBP is doing and with the input of coach Yeng, perhaps if we all talk together as Filipinos wanting to do good for the best for basketball… Filipino basketball, then we can most likely achieve something more than what we have achieved so far,” he said.

Barrios said that the PBA and the SBP can help each other for future international events since the pro league has the best players in the country.

He said that the PBA will have to find a solution, particularly in scheduling to open up opportunities for the PBA squad to compete abroad.

“We have to do that without weakening ourselves,” he said.

Barrios said that it is up to the PBA board if it is willing to do it again and have a definite program to support the national squad.

The next step is to talk to the SBP.

“If we can look at things positively, I’m prepared to sit down with the SBP after the PBA, which means the commissioner and the board get together and agree on what proper direction to take,” Barrios said.

Guiao has said that he will put in writing a proposal for the league to have a clear-cut program when it comes to playing in international competitions.

His idea already has the solid backing from PBA governors JB Baylon and Sta. Lucia’s Buddy Encarnado.

“Even in the absence of something in writing as a concept, I’d like to get a reading from the board. If the board, as a concept, embraces that direction then sunud-sunod na ‘yan,” Barrios said.

MB (http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/216181/barrios-open-rp-pool-pba-cagers)

CrossOver
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
http://www.malaya.com.ph/imges/sports.jpg

Yeng’s plea reaches
sympathetic ears

TIANJIN. – Powerade-Team Pilipinas coach Yeng Guiao’s call for the PBA to stay involved with the national team, endorsed earlier by Sta. Lucia Realty governor Buddy Encarnado, is about to reach a bigger audience.

On Sunday, Commissioner Sonny Barrios said he will seek the opinion of the board of governors on what direction to take.

"Coach Yeng’s heart must have been touched by this experience and he has asked me in the nicest of terms to keep an open mind," Barrios said.

Guiao has called on the PBA to stay active in forming the RP team, arguing the best basketball talents in the country remain in the pro backyard.

"The PBA could not turn away from its responsibility," Guiao said, stressing only matured players–aged 26 to 28–can compete and have a chance against other Asian teams.

Guiao’s sentiments have received a favorable response from Encarnado, who was the RP team manager when the country finished seventh in the 1991 Asian Basketball Confederation Men’s Championship in Kobe, Japan.

Encarnado told Guiao to submit a written program and pledged to have it calendared for discussion when the PBA board meets next month.

"Now is the time to strike while the iron is hot," Encarnado said after the RP team’s victory over Chinese-Taipei in the preliminary round.

National fervor, Barrios said, must have struck Guiao, "much the same way it has affected me."

A self-proclaimed traditionalist and believer of the maxim laid down by the "league’s forefathers" that the PBA is "Filipino basketball by Filipino players for the Filipino people," Barrios said an "exit plan" crafted for application after Tianjin continues to be in place.

But after seeing the teams from China, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon and South Korea, Barrios, who hollered himself hoarse rooting for the Nationals, said it has become clear where Guiao was coming from.

"Nanghihinayang siya kung hindi na natin ipapadala ‘yung best players of the land," Barrios said. "And I don’t think it was at all self-serving of him because he knows he’s not going to be coaching a national team anytime soon, if at all,"

Malaya (http://www.malaya.com.ph/aug17/spor5.htm)

CrossOver
08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.tribune.net.ph/pics/topstories_01.png

Guiao’s call for PBA to stay involved in nat’l team gains ground
08/17/2009

TIANJIN — Powerade-Team Pilipinas coach Yeng Guiao’s call for the PBA to stay involved in forming the national team, endorsed earlier by Sta. Lucia Realty governor Buddy Encarnado, is about to reach a bigger audience.

PBA commissioner Renauld "Sonny" Barrios said Sunday, on the eve of the national team’s closing game against South Korea in the 25th Fiba-Asia Men’s Championship that he will seek the opinion of the board of governors on what direction to take.

"Coach Yeng’s heart must have been touched by this experience and he has asked me in the nicest of terms to keep an open mind," Barrios said.

Guiao has called on the PBA to stay active in forming the RP team, arguing that the best basketball talents in the country remain in the pro backyard.

"The PBA could not turn away from its responsibility," said Guiao, stressing that only matured players — "aged 26 to 28" — can compete and have a chance against other Asian teams.

Guiao’s sentiments have received favorable response from Encarnado, who was responsible for the RP team’s seventh place finish in the 1991 Asian Basketball Confederation Men’s Championship in Kobe, Japan.

The Realtors governor told Guiao to submit a written program and pledged to have it calendared for discussion when the PBA board meets next month.

"Now is the time to strike while the iron is hot," Encarnado said following the RP team's victory over Chinese-Taipei in the preliminary round.

National fervor, Barrios said, must have struck Guiao, "much the same way it has affected me."

A self-proclaimed traditionalist and believer of the maxim laid down by the "league’s forefathers" that the PBA is "Filipino basketball by Filipino players for the Filipino people," Barrios said an "exit plan" crafted for application after Tianjin continues to be in place.

But after seeing the teams from China, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon and South Korea, Barrios, who hollered himself hoarse rooting for the Nationals, said it has become clear where Guiao was coming from.

"Nanghihinayang siya kung hindi na natin ipapadala yung best players of the land," Barrios said. "And I don’t think it was at all self-serving of him because he knows he’s not going to be coaching a national team anytime soon, if at all,"

In the event the PBA board — to which Talk ‘N Text’s Ricky Vargas, vice chairman of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, and JB Baylon, the Powerade-RP team manager belong — decides to put in abeyance the exit plan, then the matter will be brought up to the SBP, the national sports association for amateur basketball.

"For the longest of time, people have been saying that Philippine basketball has no long term program," Barrios said. "But with the formation of the SBP and through the leadership and initiative of Mr. (Manny)Pangilinan, one is now in place and we have to thank him for that. So ayaw natin silang pangunahan."

Though no international tournament is scheduled for the rest of the year, Barrios said he wants nonetheless to get a "reading from the board" on how to proceed.

"If they embrace that concept, then so be it," he said. "Ipa-fine tune yung details in black and white, yung nitty-gritty, and then I will present it to the SBP."

The Daily Tribune (http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20090817spo2.html)

D_I_A
08-17-2009, 11:11 PM
SBP SAYS TIANJIN IS LAST

No more pros in international caging

By Julius Manicad

08/18/2009

Powerade-Team Pilipinas’ disastrous stint in the 25th Fiba-Asia men’s basketball championship could be the last international assignment of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) yesterday announced that it will no longer allow the PBA to represent the country in international competitions following a forgettable eighth-place finish in the highly-crucial continental tournament in Tianjin, China recently.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said they were very disappointed with the team’s dismal performance, prompting them to give the Smart Gilas developmental program the authority to assemble a team to represent the country in elite tournaments like the 2010 Asian Games and the 2011 Fiba-Asia Championship — the gateway to the 2012 London Olympics.

Even SBP president Manny Pangilinan was not satisfied.

In a telephone conversation with Eala yesterday morning, the Smart/PLDT chairman expressed disappointment, but thanked the PBA for its all-out support to the national program. He said he welcomes the PBA’s help, but the core of future national team should be the young and promising players under the Smart Gilas program.

"We were very disappointed with their finish, we hope they could have finished a little higher," said Eala, the former commissioner of the PBA. "While we thank the PBA for its support to the national program, we also have to be realistic. We need a more responsive, more comprehensive program than that of the Powerade-Team Pilipinas. And we believe this is the right direction to take."

"We welcome whatever support they will give, but it’s about time for SBP, through Smart Gilas, to take over in the formation of the National Team."

The PBA, the oldest professional league in Asia, was tapped to assemble the national squad in the infancy of the SBP.

In its first taste of big-time international tournament under the SBP, it fared miserably as it came out with a miserable ninth place finish in the 2007 Fiba-Asia men’s basketball championship in Tokushima, Japan, a loss which cost the country a stint in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

And this year, with barely few months of preparation and lack of sufficient international exposure, the PBA-backed national team suffered a series of stinging losses, including a sorry 65-83 loss to Qatar and a 80-82 defeat to Korea to completely deny the Filipinos a chance to see action in the prestigious 2010 World Championship in Istanbul, Turkey.

Despite the setback, national coach Yeng Guiao was quick to float the possibility of continuing what the PBA has started. He said the PBA still has the country’s brightest talents, easily making it the most credible league to assemble the national squad.

He also doesn’t believe that the Smart Gilas-Team Pilipinas, which is composed of the country’s biggest collegiate stars under the stewardship of noted Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman, would be able to dominate Asia in the next few years, a statement which Eala branded as a "little unfair and uncalled for."

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios was open to the idea, stressing that the matter would be tackled right away by the powerful PBA Board of Governors in its next meeting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas!!!

Reform the PBA!!!

D_I_A
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
SBP SAYS TIANJIN IS LAST

No more pros in international caging

By Julius Manicad

08/18/2009

Powerade-Team Pilipinas’ disastrous stint in the 25th Fiba-Asia men’s basketball championship could be the last international assignment of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) yesterday announced that it will no longer allow the PBA to represent the country in international competitions following a forgettable eighth-place finish in the highly-crucial continental tournament in Tianjin, China recently.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said they were very disappointed with the team’s dismal performance, prompting them to give the Smart Gilas developmental program the authority to assemble a team to represent the country in elite tournaments like the 2010 Asian Games and the 2011 Fiba-Asia Championship — the gateway to the 2012 London Olympics.

Even SBP president Manny Pangilinan was not satisfied.

In a telephone conversation with Eala yesterday morning, the Smart/PLDT chairman expressed disappointment, but thanked the PBA for its all-out support to the national program. He said he welcomes the PBA’s help, but the core of future national team should be the young and promising players under the Smart Gilas program.

"We were very disappointed with their finish, we hope they could have finished a little higher," said Eala, the former commissioner of the PBA. "While we thank the PBA for its support to the national program, we also have to be realistic. We need a more responsive, more comprehensive program than that of the Powerade-Team Pilipinas. And we believe this is the right direction to take."

"We welcome whatever support they will give, but it’s about time for SBP, through Smart Gilas, to take over in the formation of the National Team."

The PBA, the oldest professional league in Asia, was tapped to assemble the national squad in the infancy of the SBP.

In its first taste of big-time international tournament under the SBP, it fared miserably as it came out with a miserable ninth place finish in the 2007 Fiba-Asia men’s basketball championship in Tokushima, Japan, a loss which cost the country a stint in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

And this year, with barely few months of preparation and lack of sufficient international exposure, the PBA-backed national team suffered a series of stinging losses, including a sorry 65-83 loss to Qatar and a 80-82 defeat to Korea to completely deny the Filipinos a chance to see action in the prestigious 2010 World Championship in Istanbul, Turkey.

Despite the setback, national coach Yeng Guiao was quick to float the possibility of continuing what the PBA has started. He said the PBA still has the country’s brightest talents, easily making it the most credible league to assemble the national squad.

He also doesn’t believe that the Smart Gilas-Team Pilipinas, which is composed of the country’s biggest collegiate stars under the stewardship of noted Serbian mentor Rajko Toroman, would be able to dominate Asia in the next few years, a statement which Eala branded as a "little unfair and uncalled for."

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios was open to the idea, stressing that the matter would be tackled right away by the powerful PBA Board of Governors in its next meeting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas!!!

Reform the PBA!!!

CrossOver
08-18-2009, 12:05 AM
PBA, Smart-Gilas combining forces?
By Joaquin Henson
Updated June 12, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The possibility of Smart-Gilas and selected PBA players joining forces to play at the Stankovic Cup in Kunshan, near Shanghai, on Aug. 28-31 was raised during a recent meeting between PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios and SBP executive director Noli Eala but before anything is finalized, the issue will be discussed by the PBA Board of Governors during a planning meeting next week.

Eala communicated the SBP’s intention to play in the Stankovic Cup a month ago but no reply has been received from organizers. He will leave for China on Tuesday to attend the FIBA-Asia Championships draw in Tianjin the next day and also check on the likelihood of playing in the Stankovic Cup.

China, Turkey, Australia and Angola are expected to play in this year’s Stankovic Cup. The Philippines may be a fifth entry – in which case, a day may be added to the schedule – or could replace any of the four countries unable to participate.

Barrios said the matter of PBA cagers playing with Smart-Gilas will be resolved at the Board level.

“The door is always open for us to talk about possibilities particularly as the PBA is a part of SBP,” said Barrios. “But if this proposal is given to the PBA in black and white, I’m sure the Board will want to know the rationale. It is the Board’s understanding that the PBA is slowly being weaned away from the responsibility of representing our country in international competitions. Aside from the philosophical issue, we’d also like to check the timing because our players may already be involved in the pre-season camp of their mother clubs.”

Even before it reaches the PBA Board, Eala said he will make sure there is a slot open for the Philippines in the Stankovic Cup. The discussion will be academic if no slot is available.

“When I go to Tianjin, I will follow up with the Chinese Basketball Association,” said Eala.

Smart-Gilas coach Rajko Toroman will take a home leave on June 21 and return on July 12 to resume training the developmental team on July 15. With several Smart-Gilas players seeing action in the UAAP and NCAA, Toroman will be able to tap only Chris Tiu, J. V. Casio, Mac Baracael, Greg Slaughter and Jason Ballesteros for the Stankovic Cup.

Eala said naturalized player candidate C. J. Giles, Japeth Aguilar, Fil-Canadian Sean Anthony of McGill University and Fil-Americans Chris Lutz of Marshall University and Stanley Pringle of Penn State will also be invited to join the Smart-Gilas camp. Another invitee may be Cebu’s 6-9, 210-pound Junmar Fajardo.

Smart Sports director Patrick Gregorio and Toroman were in Cebu to scout the 19-year-old Fajardo and were impressed by his performance against Ateneo in a mini-tournament last Monday. Fajardo led the CESAFI selection to a two-point win over the Blue Eagles as he finished with 25 points and 15 rebounds. In the last minute, he blocked Ryan Buenafe and Nonoy Baclao, grabbed a crucial rebound and converted crucial free throws. Ateneo led, 54-45, at the half

Eala said if the PBA Board agrees, Smart-Gilas will tap PBA players not in coach Yeng Guiao’s Powerade national team. He mentioned seven in the SBP wish list – Rain Or Shine’s Jay-R Reyes, Talk ‘N’ Text’s Jason Castro and MacMac Cardona, Barangay Ginebra’s J. C. Intal, Alaska’s Larry Fonacier, Burger King’s Carlo Sharma and San Miguel Beer’s Samigue Eman.

SBP vice chairman and PBA governor Ricky Vargas said the other day he hopes to forge a closer relationship in the programs of the SBP and the PBA. Vargas said Toroman’s availability to serve Guiao as one of his scouts for the FIBA-Asia Championships is a sign that could be the beginning of a sincere cooperation between the two entities.

PBA governor and incoming chairman Lito Alvarez of Burger King said a mixed Smart-Gilas and PBA selection is “definitely a good idea (because) the Stankovic Cup is a tournament participated in by strong basketball teams and this will have my personal support.”

Alvarez said the PBA’s possible participation will be taken up at next week’s planning meeting next where he expects the Board to make an official stand.

When the NCAA and UAAP seasons end, Toroman will regroup the Smart-Gilas squad to play in the prestigious Haarlem tournament in Amsterdam this December. The Smart-Gilas cagers in UAAP and NCAA rosters are Dylan Ababou, Aldrech Ramos, Buenafe, Rabah Al-Husseini, Rey Guevara, R. J.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=476900&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

Kahit ito na lang ang gawin nila wag kunin yung "pa-super star" kunin lang yung babagay sa sistema or role ng team.

D_I_A
08-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Manila Standard Today

8/18/2009

It’s SBP’s turn now

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

WITH all due respect to our friend and Powerade-Team Pilipinas coach Yeng Guiao, as well as Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Sonny Barrios, we believe it’s time for the PBA to relinquish its involvement in forming the national team and to simply do the right thing by agreeing to release a maximum of maybe two or three players if needed, to strengthen the national development pool, currently under project director Rajko Toroman, for international tournaments.

It’s about time PBA officials realize that the decision-making in Philippine basketball is now in the hands of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, headed by its president Manny Pangilinan, of which the PBA is a leading member and who, by mutual agreement, decided that Tianjin would be the last hurrah of the PBA.

Regrettably, for all its gallantry against the powerhouse teams of Iran and Jordan, the nationals effectively surrendered to a comparatively weak Qatar squad and then threw away what should have been a won game against South Korea. If anything, it demonstrated a sad lack of character by some of the players at the very least.

That was inexplicable as it was inexcusable because when you represent your country—whether it be in the battle against the vicious Abu Sayyaf criminals or their double-crossing, sweet-talking allies in Mindanao—or the competitive arena of international basketball—you should be prepared to fight for your country to the bitter end and in the process die if you must.

But our so-called PBA heroes, some of them at least, preferred to roll over and surrender much to the dismay of Guiao and millions of Filipinos, who were hoping that they would finish fifth and have an outside chance of earning a wildcard berth in the World Basketball Championships in Turkey next year. This is the intrinsic problem of highly-paid PBA players, whose concern for protecting themselves from possible injury and an interest in extending their careers, overrides their commitment to flag and country. Understandable but unacceptable, because coach Guiao gave them a choice to be willing to make the sacrifices necessary or to withdraw.

Even the wildcard entry Chinese Taipei, with a roster of young players, finished fifth, three rungs above the Philippines. To be satisfied that the Philippines did one better than the Tokushima team coached by Chot Reyes is distressing, especially because the format of that tournament was very different. Besides, the Tianjin team was drawn in a “Group of Hope” instead of a “Group of Death,” where Reyes’ squad was bracketed with the Top 3 teams in Tianjin—Iran, China and Jordan. Besides, the Tokushima team didn’t enjoy the dubious luxury of facing a cricket-playing country like Sri Lanka and having three teams advance from a group of just four.

Commissioner Barrios was quoted as saying he would seek the opinion of the board of governors on what direction to take. That’s fine, but the only direction it can take is to support the national pool and not even dare think of continuing the ride with an all-pro team. The experience in Tokushima and Tianjin has driven home the point that a pick-up team of individual stars can never be welded into a cohesive unit such as the Northern Consolidated national team of Ambassador Danding Cojuangco whose long-range program, under coach Ron Jacobs, reinforced by two naturalized players, who suited up in the ABC Championships—the forerunner of the Fiba Asia Championships—was rewarded with success.

Our good friend Yeng, who is likely to be elected as the next governor of Pampanga, has called on the PBA to stay active in forming the RP team, arguing that the best basketball talents in the country remain in the pro backyard. While that may well be true, we need to realize that basketball is a team game and not one that depends mainly on individual skills although that, too, can help if you have a player of the caliber of Rasheim Wright of Jordan.

Guiao was quoted as saying “The PBA could not turn away from its responsibility,” stressing that only mature players—aged 26 to 28—can compete and have a chance against other Asian teams. To us, with due respect to coach Guiao, the PBA’s primary responsibility is to help support the national pool by allowing the team to compete in the PBA, like it did for Northern Consolidated and if the need arises, lend a couple of players to the team preparing for the 2011 Fiba Asia Championships. That is its responsibility as we see it. Nothing less and certainly nothing more.

We also fail to understand former chairman Buddy Encarnado’s reported request to Guiao to submit a written program with the promise that he would make the PBA board discuss it. Encarnado appears to have forgotten that the basketball authority is the SBP not the PBA and there is very little if anything the PBA can—and indeed should do—to try and cling to its desire to form the national team.

To put it bluntly, the PBA had its chance and blew it.

D_I_A
08-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Eala: PBA model unfit for national hoops program
Business World Sports
Written by Joel Orellana / Reporter
Monday, 17 August 2009 22:46

NOLI EALA praised the Team Pilipinas’ eighth-place effort in the Tianjin International Basketball Federation (Fiba)-Asia Men’s Championship.

But the executive director of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) does not agree with head coach Yeng Guiao’s proposal for the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) to continually handle the country’s campaign in major international competitions.

“The SBP would like to take over the national team program and if the PBA wants to be involved in the formation of the national team, it should be under the program and direction of the SBP,” Eala said on Monday.

“We have to be realistic of his [Guiao] suggestion. The mandate and the business model of the PBA is not consistent with the demands and needs for maintaining a national program,” he added. “But we can’t blame the PBA for this.”

Guiao’s team, formed only in November last year, improved on the ninth-place finish of the Chot Reyes-coached squad in the 2007 Fiba-Asia tournament in Tokushima, Japan.

Guiao told the PBA board of governors that the league has to continue its involvement in the formation of the national team and maintain a pool of professional players who would occasionally compete abroad.

Eala thanked Guiao for his desire to help but he insisted that a program is already in place for the 2011 Asia Men’s Championship, which the country is bidding to host.

“We believe that the Smart Gilas program is more comprehensive and more focused than their program,” he said. “I think we are on the right direction.”

The Smart Gilas team is handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, who led Iran, the champion in the Tianjin joust, to its first Olympics stint in Beijing last year.

In response to Guiao’s remarks that the Smart Gilas players may not be in their peak come 2011, Eala said the model has been tested by other countries, particularly Iran, in international basketball.

easter
08-18-2009, 06:45 AM
The problem with this is that now the PBA is suddenly having a change of heart of participating in international tournaments after the FIBA championships. The SBP already has a system in placed and schedules prepared for the long-term preparation of the national team. You cannot just scrap that after providing contract to players and coaches and after going to different countries to expose these players. Plus the amateurs played well so it seems that the program has promise.

It is obvious that the PBA lifestyle is not appropriate for FIBA leagues. We have been down this road before and the only way to improve is to have a team committed to playing internationally all-year round. A team familiar with each other and will not get lost out there on the court. It is not really a matter of having the best players (Guiao knows this since he has showed that you can win without the very best on one team), preparation and team work matters as well.

Siguro subukan naman natin ang ibang paraan. We cannot expect change if we try to do the same thing over and over again.

oca
08-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Di yata wasto sabihin na may turf war. Kung nagpanukala si Guiao na ituloy ng PBA ang pagbuo ng NT at bukas ang isipan nila Barrios at Encarnado, di ito nangangahulugan na ito rin ang nasa isipan ng "PBA".

The "PBA" knows it doesn't have any personality with respect to the FIBA. Certainly, the PBA will only act based on what the SBP will ask of them.

Now, that the SBP has said "no more pros", I doubt if the PBA will insist.

oca
08-18-2009, 08:10 AM
The PBA is a stakeholder and if they want to have a significant role with respect to the formation of the NT, they can do so without necessarily lending its players.

They just have to -

REMOVE THE ROOKIE SALARY CAP ON PLAYERS WHO CAME FROM THE SMART-GILAS NATIONAL TEAM.

As it is, we saw some players turning down the offer to play for the NT because not only does it tie them up to the NT but worst, they will still be covered by the rookie cap even after they served 2 or 3 years for the NT.

Effectively, what they will earn upon entry to the PBA will be lesser than what they had earned on their 3rd yr in the Smart Gilas NT. It just doesn't make sense, but it makes sense if the invited player decides not to play in the NT and opt for the PBA for financial reasons.

Now, to deter these players from using their stint at the Smart-Gilas program as leverage for negotiating above the rookie cap upon entry to the PBA, wherein said player would decide to go to the pros without completing the tenor of the contract with the NT, a condition can be made wherein only those who have completed their contract can be exempted from the rookie cap.

Imo, if the PBA removes the rookie cap on these Smart Gilas players, it would have played a more significant role than forming or lending their players for international competition.

i-point
08-18-2009, 08:49 AM
^Agree with this 100%!

clutchjedi
08-18-2009, 09:46 AM
^ Yes that makes perfect sense. If the PBA is sincere in wanting a better national team, there's no reason why they can't do this. :)

korn666333
08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
manunuod na ako ng PBA dahil may smart gilas pilipinas na lalaro sa PBA, pero dapat isang season lang baka mahawa ang gilas sa style ng PBA, mahihina, outdated na. sarap mag cheer sa PINAS, kisa brand. wew! go pilipinas! go smart gilas national team! pakitaan nyo ng gilas ang mga PBA team, no more endorsements! its for our country! wew!

smart gilas will reach finals!

down with guiao!

korn666333
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
guilty ata si guiao sa pinag gagawa nya sa fiba asia, yuck! i dont think our kababayan will still accept that team if they still competes, theyve frustrated us in jones cup and now in china, coach reyes national team last fiba asia has a filipino heart, with ealas program, we dont need superstars, we need teamworks. sabi ni guiao nasa PBA pa rin ang magagaling? lol, itong smart gilas sa tingin niya indi uubra? sa amateur nanggagaling lahat ng magagaling!

digitalsuperman
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
di naman siguro kelangan natin magagaling na players..kelangan natin yung players na consistent atsaka merong team work at mas kelangan natin yung players na sanay na sa amateur rules...

CrossOver
08-18-2009, 03:53 PM
manunuod na ako ng PBA dahil may smart gilas pilipinas na lalaro sa PBA, pero dapat isang season lang baka mahawa ang gilas sa style ng PBA, mahihina, outdated na. sarap mag cheer sa PINAS, kisa brand. wew! go pilipinas! go smart gilas national team! pakitaan nyo ng gilas ang mga PBA team, no more endorsements! its for our country! wew!

smart gilas will reach finals!

down with guiao!

simula ng San Miguel Team Pilipinas noon 2007 gusto ko ng manuod na sumasabak ang RP sa International Competition dito kasi ako namulat na mas nakapananabik, may adrenalin at matindi ang mga labanan. Noon ko din naintindihan na sa lahat ng tournament ang FIBA Asia (ABC before) ang pinakamahalaga, hindi yung Asian Games

CrossOver
08-18-2009, 10:16 PM
http://images.gmanews.tv/gmanewstvlogo_without_beta.jpg

PBA urged to discontinue formation of RP teams
08/18/2009 | 08:47 PM

Two members of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) board have urged the pro league to stop forming a national squad to participate in the qualifying events for either the World Basketball Championship or the Olympics.

“I believe it’s the responsibility of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (the local governing body for basketball)," Alaska’s Joaqui Trillo told GMANews.TV.

Trillo’s call to other members of the board ran counter to coach Yeng Guiao’s clamor for the PBA’s continuous participation in international competitions. Guiao has made the suggestion in the wake of the all-pro squad’s eighth place finish in the FIBA Asia Championship recently in Tianjin, China.

But for Trillo, the PBA should leave the formation of the RP to the SBP, although as stakeholder, the league must still support the national cause in a different manner.

“They (SBP) are the authorized basketball body and they should be the one mainly responsible in selecting players to international tournaments. We in the board have discussed that several times. It’s about time the PBA should give way," he said.

Sharing Trillo’s sentiment was Ricky Vargas, Talk N Text’s board representative and vice chairman of the SBP.

“Maybe people forgot that it’s not the PBA which decides on forming up a national team. It is the SBP which gives blessing to the PBA," said Vargas.

According to Vargas, the SBP has already laid out a long-term plan for its Smart Gilas Pilipinas team, composed of collegiate and amateur stars.

“Realistically speaking, parang nabunutan nga ng tinik ang PBA dito because they need not worry about the national team anymore. It is already established now, mayroon ng players, coach and sariling funding. They should be thankful pa nga dapat," he said.

Lending players

Trillo and Vargas, however, shared the opinion that the PBA should be open to the idea of lending three players to the Smart-Gilas squad in future international tournaments. The SBP is reportedly eyeing young PBA talents like Japeth Aguilar of Burger King, Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine and Jared Dillinger of Talk N Text, who all suited up for Guiao’s Powerade Pilipinas squad.

“In that way, magkakaroon pa rin ng involvement ang PBA in the national team," said Vargas. “For example, if Smart-Gilas would tap Japeth Aguilar or several other players in the PBA, the league should be open to that. But whether the teams or the league itself would lend the players is a big question at this stage."

Trillo, also a former team manager of the RP Centennial team that finished third in the Bangkok Asian Games, believes the Smart-Gilas team, which is following the model of the successful Northern Consolidated team in the 1980s, is on the right track. He considers preparation and funding as essential ingredients to success.

“We may not reap the fruits of success now, but in years to come. Imagine, our Philippine squads finished third or fourth in the (past) Asian Games with little time to prepare, what more with a team that will be together for the next three or four years. I’m confident that we will be successful once this program continues," said Trillo.

GMANews.TV (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/170124/PBA-urged-to-discontinue-formation-of-RP-teams)

PinasBeliever
08-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Reyes-backed squad's 9th place Tokushima finish is way better than the 8th place finish of the Guiao team... very disappointing tlga ung ngyari kc ito na ung chance n mkpasok sa Wildcard pero anong gnwa nila? nagpatalo sa "beatable" Qatar at pinatalo ang "won game" against Sokor... oras na tlga para Smart-Gilas na ang ipadala sa mga international tournaments kc kung iipitin ang PBA players between career or national pride malamang career ang pipiliin nila... pero let's give credit sa ginawa ng Powerade Pilipinas "while still on the run" for contention... nakakainis lng tlga ung gnwa nila nung nalaglag sa losers bracket to fight for fifth-place na magdadala sana sa tin sa Wildcard ng Turkey Worlds...

tapos na talaga ang trabaho ng PBA, pass the torch to SBP...

paningit lng,, guys pasagot ng survey ko regarding my thesis about a basketball coliseum/training facility for the national team... thanks, here's the link:
http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=NOIEO_f6b00850

McCoy
08-19-2009, 09:06 AM
its SBP's time, para mag-asikaso sa pagbuo ng national team na isasabak sa mga international competition para hindi naman masayang binabayad kay Toroman. marami player sa amateur na magagaling pra sa national team. ok na yun smart gilas dagdag nlng si Fajardo and kumuha sila ng shooter. shooter yun ang naging problema ng PBA-backed national team sa nakaraan Fiba Asia, bigman medyo ok na si Giles, Slaughter at si Fajardo. train nlng ng husto si Slaughter at Fajardo, need nilang patibayin katawan nila para makasabay sa bangaan sa ilalim, lalo na sa mga taga middle east.

Joescoundrel
08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
I believe there is a point being missed here. This is not necessarily a question of whether or not to field an all-pro team to international competitions. Shouldn't the real issue be sending the best players who have the skill, talent and mindset for international competition whether or not they are pros? It took the US a good long while and a couple of embarrassments to figure this out. Yes, they still sent nothing but NBA superstars, but only those superstars who agreed to be in the USA Basketball program for the long haul, i.e. no more quick assembly of all stars. This is why the likes of Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnet didn't make an appearance in the 2008 Olympics, simply because they could not make the long-term commitment. SBP should follow the same approach.

FIBA competitions are a whole new world compared to the PBA. Players in international competition are tougher, bigger, stronger, more experienced and certainly more familiar with each other as national teams playing together for years. We might have the edge in terms of sheer athletic ability, but one look at the Taiwanese, Chinese, Koreans and even the Middle Easterners and it is obvious they are better shooters, better passers, better at moving the ball, better at setting up, flexing and recovering with their zone defenses, better attuned in general to the international game.

Athletically I doubt if any player in this most recent FIBA Asia Qualifier can stay toe to toe one-on-one against the likes of Willie Miller, Cyrus Baguio or Gabe Norwood, or for that matter with Jay Helterbrand and Jared Dillinger had those two been in 100% game shape. But the mere fact that our shooting came and went, our defense had all of those annoying and repeated lapses especially on help and recovery, our ball movement got stymied by the opponents playing the passing lanes, means that at the fundamental level, arguably we may not be sending the best players and hence the best teams into these international tournaments after all.

Then again that is precisely why we should not be shutting the doors on pro players completely. Certain pros actually might be suited for international play given their size at their positions plus their athletic advantages. But these guys have to be conscripted into a real national team pool and perhaps, just perhaps, not allowed to play pro ball for as long as they are committed and signed to the RP Team. For instance, I would take Magi Sison out of the Smart Gilas team and replace him with Japeth Aguilar, simply because Aguilar would bring more size, length and athleticism to that same 5/4 position than Sison. I'd take Ford Arao out and replace him with Kelly Williams, assuming Williams gets back to 100% game shape. I'd take Chris Tiu out and replace him with either Norwood or Helterbrand.

Finally I would move heaven and earth to sign up CJ GIles and possibly Chris Alexander or some one like Alexander to give the team a legitimate, international-grade post player. Both highly mobile, quick and athletic, Giles at 6'11" and 250 pounds, Alexander at 7'1" and 260 pounds, would be perfect for international play at the 5 and 4 spots.

korn666333
08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
pwede tanggalin nalang ang PBA tapos manuod nalang tayo lagi sa national team natin, wahehehe.

clutchjedi
08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I think most of us agree that:
- We need players to make a long-term committment.
- To be able to get the best players, we need to help them ensure their financial stability.

How can the PBA help?

1) As mentioned by Oca - REMOVE THE ROOKIE SALARY CAP FOR PLAYERS FROM THE SMART GILAS NT.

2) Allow players to be fully lent for the long term, i.e. the 3-4 year cycle.

Say Japeth has a 3-year contract with BK. Maybe he, the PBA, BK and Smart can all agree to a restructured contract where first Japeth does 3-4 NT years paid by Smart. Then BK retains him for the next 3 years after that.

The PBA can come up with ways to compensate the teams "weakened" by lending 1 or more NT players (adjusted records, draft picks, etc)

3) FIBA, or at least semi-FIBA rules and officiating?

What can the SBP / Smart do?

1) On waiving the rookie salary cap - I hope this Eala and the SBP could PUBLICLY request this from the PBA, para mapasagot nang ayos at hindi magpalusot ang PBA.

2) Smart Gilas has shown it's capable of matching PBA rookie salaries. To get and retain the best players until they peak (say age 26), it might have to offer PBA veteran salaries. Can they afford that, year after year?

A wild idea...if I were MVP, I would consider selling or leasing out my TNT PBA franchise to one of the many applicants (Harbour, Lamoiyan, SM, Gokongwei), and make Smart Gilas as PLDT's flagship team. The freed budget would then allow me to compensate Gilas players the way a pro team could.

If money was not a question, I think 90% of players would take the opportunity to play for the flag and be part of history. :)

oca
08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I think we should let go of the idea of having a mix of current Smart Gilas and PBA players.

Though Eala was quoted quoting Toroman as being interested in having Aguilar, Norwood and Dillinger in the Smart Gilas lineup, imo, magdadala lang yan ng sakit ng ulo sa ating lahat.

Bakit ko nasabi yan?

Smart Gilas will have its own calendar of activities based primarily on the FIBA calendar. They will compete on invitationals and regular FIBA events.

Tanong!

Magkatugma ba ang PBA at FIBA calendar?

To have PBA players in the mix will create situations where the NT will be in this part of the world training or competing in an invitational and the teams of the 3 mentioned PBA players are in the middle of the conference race.

Eto ang PBA teams saying…, “Teka, teka, susunod na lang sila at in contention pa kami…”.

Will adding PBA players in the mix really help?

Matanong ko kayo… Sa mga gawain natin dati sa paaralan o sa communidad o trabaho, pag may pinasimulan at sa bandang gitna o sa dulo ay may humabol na kasali, ano ang nangyayari? Lahat makikibagay para lang tuluyang mapasali ang humabol. Kung walang makikibagay, magmumukha yang sampid.

Develop the camaraderie and cohesion from the get go, hindi yung makikibagay pa ang ilan kung kalian malapit na ang labanan.

Give it up!

Subok na ang Northern Consolidated template--- talents outside of the PBA plus naturalized players. Pagtyagaan lang yan magbubunga din yan.

Now, if the PBA teams will allow Smart Gilas to buy out or assume the contract of these PBA players and release them unconditionally to the NT, but retaining the rights over the same player at he end of his tour of duty, okay.

Pero kung bibigyan mo ng dalawang kalendaryo yung mga mapipiling PBA player – yung Smart Gilas/FIBA at PBA calendars—kalimutan niyo na yan.

joelex
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Iran goes unblemished in FIBA, and dominates China.

So what value does Toroman really have, then? ;)

I agree in going global to the approach, but somehow you have to consider why Iran was ok to let go Toroman if he was THAT good. And they still end up successful and more dangerous than ever.

Why some people continuously bash the Powerade team is just a plain example of the sad state some people are in. The pros had more to lose than anything else. They clearly gave it their all and DOES NOT deserve such criticisms. And they never insisted to be there anyway. Team owners are at risk for lending their players. Criticize their style of play, but not the heart and the effort. Calling an end for PBA representation internationally will just do them a favor.

Lets say SMART GILAS rescinds all player contracts and replaces it with per game / practice allowances with no 3 year guarantee. All for flag and country. You think there'd be such a team now? Ask Rico Maierhoffer, Ogie Menor, or Marcy Arellano. Also ask Magi Sison, Rey Guevarra, Rj Jazul, or Greg Slaughter why theyre still there. 3/4 of that team will either be PBA bench warmers or will just be undrafted. Lets not be all so gracious and crowning them modern day heroes. Its all about the money and its as simple as that.

easter
08-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Oca is truly identifying the areas in which the SBP-PBA partnership will need improvement.

1. Removal of the PBA Rookie Salary Cap on Smart Gilas players. - I am now beginning to understand why Maierhoffer, Aguilar and Menor jumped to the PBA immediately because of this. It is quite unfair that after playing for flag and country, your reqard is a PBA rookie salary cap.

2. Exclusive players for Smart-Gilas to instill team work and camaraderie.

If the PBA really wants to help in this they can assist Smart Gilas in so many ways other than lending players.

oca
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
When the Nothern Consolidated team was first formed, only Codinera and Caidic were the certified college stars. Calma had led Adamson to its only UAAP title about 2 or 3 years earlier but hardly anyone talk highly of him.

Sino ba sila Almario, Valenciano, Yturri, Dignadice, Franz Pumaren among others. Then, nadagdag si Samboy.

Maraming pang unang napasali ngunit ang mga pangalang iyan ang naruon ng manaig na muli ang koponan natin kontra China, Korea at Japan.

Sa listahang iyan, parang kumuha ka lang ng tatlong magaling at pinalakas mo sa pagdagdag nila Still at Moore.

Ang punto ko, kung ano ang mga player na kinuha ngayon ay di batayan kung ano ang magiging kabuuan ng koponan pag dumating yung takdang panahon.

Sampalataya ako sa konsepto ng Northern Consolidated dahil nakita ko ang resulta. Nasubaybayan ko yung koponan. Pero naniniwala akong this team can be better. Bakit? Dahil ang coach ay magpapatupad ng European brand of play na mas akma sa int'l play.

Ron Jacobs introduced common sense into our basketball. Our innate talent and creativity in the game plus that common sense made us win again over then Asian superpowers. Pero nag evolve na uli ang laro since then, aside from the fact that the Middle East countries have emerged as the new powers in the region.

Will American brand of play make us win at least here in Asia?

Kung NBA caliber ang mga players natin... pwede.

Joescoundrel
08-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Conscription should still be one of the methods employed in forming the national team. If the PBA refuses to cooperate then and only then should we never again get players from the PBA. As has been mentioned in this thread by many of our fellows, only a long-term and sustained program with an intact team can make us winners again in international play. If we do not conscript the players then we cannot have a long-term and sustained program.

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

CrossOver
08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.manilatimes.net/images2/runners/runner.gif

Eala’s views get support from league
ByJosef T. Ramos
Thursday, August 20, 2009

TWO members of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) board—Joaqui Trillo of Alaska and Ricky Vargas of Talk ‘N Text—agree in principle that the Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas (SBP) spearhead the country’s participation in international basketball tournaments.

The two team governors said that Noli Eala, the executive director of Samahang Basketbol, is correct in his view that his organization is the only legitimate basketball body in the country that could form the national squad that would compete in events like the World Basketball Championship or the Olympics.

“I believe it’s the responsibility of the SBP because it is the local governing body for basketball,” said Trillo, a former PBA chairman. “But we, the PBA, should remain committed in helping the national team.”

Earlier, Team Pilipinas head coach Yeng Guiao said the professional league should continue its participation in the international competitions. He made the suggestion in the wake of the all-pro squad’s eighth place finish in the FIBA Asia Championship recently in Tianjin , China .

Vargas, who is the vice chairman of the Samahang Basketbol, agrees.

“Maybe people forgot that it’s not the PBA which decides on forming up a national team. It is the SBP which gives blessing to the PBA,” said Vargas.

Samahang Basketbol, Vargas said, has already laid out a long-term plan for its Smart Gilas Pilipinas team, composed of collegiate and amateur stars.

“I’m confident that we will be successful once this program continues,” he said without elaborating.

The professional league could still lend players for Smart Gilas, according to Vargas. Samahang Basketbol National Developmental coach Rajko Toroman has even expressed tapping Jared Dillenger of Talk ‘N Text, Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine and Japeth Aguilar of Burger King for Smart Gilas.

The Manila Times (http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/aug/20/yehey/sports/20090820spo2.html)

CrossOver
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
http://images.gmanews.tv/gmanewstvlogo_without_beta.jpg

Caidic, Uichico believe RP Gilas cage program on right track
08/20/2009 | 04:27 PM

Allan Caidic and Jong Uichico, both products of the fabled Northern Consolidated-backed Philippine men’s basketball team, are two success stories in the sport.

Ron Jacobs helped mold Caidic as a player and Uichico as a coach in the 80s where the Philippines has been dominating the Asian region.

When it comes to outside shooting, Caidic was incomparable. He was a part of the last all-amateur squad that won the FIBA-Asia Championship (formerly Asian Basketball Confederation) in 1986. He was also a key figure in the Nationals’ 1985 title conquest in the William Jones Cup against United States.

Known as “The Triggerman" in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), he retired holding the record for most number of three-point shots in a single game with 17 and most number of points scored with 79.

But aside from his individual success, the former University of the East standout knows the value of representing the RP team.

He believes The Smart Gilas-RP squad composed of amateur standouts and backed by sportsman/businessman Manny V. Pangilinan, will succeed given the proper time and training.

The team is also handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, who gave Iran the FIBA-Asia title in 2007.

The Smart Gilas team is composed of Chris Tiu, Rabeh Al-Husseini, Mark Barroca, Ryan Buenafe, JR Cawaling, Ogie Menor, Rico Maierhofer, Dylan Ababou, JV Casio, RJ Jazul, Aldrech Ramos, Greg Slaughter and Japeth Aguilar.

The team is also hoping to get a naturalized player in order to beef up its inside presence.

Caidic said the way the team was formed reminded him on how the NCC-backed squad was created.

Jacobs helped put up the National team that is composed of amateur standouts Caidic, Samboy Lim and Hector Calma, along with naturalized players Chip Engelland, Jeff Moore and Dennis Still.

“The Smart Gilas team has similarities to our former team in the NCC. We had Ron Jacobs as our foreign coach and they have Toroman as mentor. They have a good backer in Mr. Manny Pangilinan, the same thing that we had Boss Danding as our godfather before. The players were also handpicked as the same to us during our amateur days," said Caidic, one of the PBA’s 25 Greatest Players and regarded as the deadliest shooter who played for the RP five.

For Uichico, preparation is an important ingredient in competing internationally. The multi-titled PBA mentor believes the best talents are in the PBA, but they cannot prepare long enough in forming up a solid and cohesive unit.

The Smart-Gilas team, on the other hand, has lots of time to prepare.

“How can we come up with a solid team if we can only practice once or twice a week? I mean the United States men’s basketball team has to prepare for three years and still lost some games tayo pa kaya," said Uichico in jest.

“But we also have to look at the factor whether our players can compete against teams from the Middle East, which have become the new powerhouse squads in Asia. So it would be a combination of talent and preparation for us to become successful in international competitions," he added.

GMANews.TV (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/170287/Caidic-Uichico-believe-RP-Gilas-cage-program-on-right-track)

john_paul_manahan
08-24-2009, 11:44 PM
1. Adjust the PBA schedule to fit FIBA calendar.
2. Has Rajko watched the PBA to see which players might fit the necessary system he might put in place.
3. Use to Filipino diaspora to our advantage. (Find players who have Filipino blood)
4. Find the right players to naturalize. Utilize the FIBA rules to our advantage.

CrossOver
08-26-2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.tribune.net.ph/pics/topstories_01.png

IT’S GILAS THIS TIME

SBP still hopeful of 2012 Games stint
08/26/2009

Making it to the 2012 London Olympics is like going through the eye of a needle, but the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) remains confident it has a shot of earning the lone precious berth up for grab in the Asian zone.

SBP executive director Noli Eala mentioned several factors for such optimism at yesterday’s PSA Forum at the Shakey’s UN Avenue branch, foremost of which is the long-term program the basketball association has implemented through the formation of the RP-Smart Gilas team under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

"One thing that gives me a lot of hope is the fact that we have a program. We have an honest to goodness program to back up our desire to win in 2011," he said.

"The program consists of an international coach who knows what it takes to win in the international arena and has got the experience and credentials to show for it," Eala added, referring to Toroman, who joined him at the weekly forum sponsored by Outlast Battery, the Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor), Accel and Shakey’s.

Toroman, the architect of Iran’s rise to power in Asian basketball prior to becoming coach of the Smart Gilas team, stressed that achieving the unthinkable should begin within the players and the team themselves.

"It’s not going to be easy, but we have to believe that we can do that. In the beginning it may be painful, we will lose some games, we will be sacrificing, we will be going on some difficult situations. But in the end, our goal is 2011 and we will do everything to put things together."

The 54-year-old Serbian noted how Iran also went through the same phase when he first handled the team in 2007.

But playing together all year round and acquiring experiences in the international level toughened them up and made the team what it is right now — a two-time Fiba-Asia champion.

"We played many international games. Do you think that it was nice to lose 25 out of those 35 games? It was very tough for me, for the players. But we just believed we were sacrificing together. We just believed that these games will give us something new and something better in the future," he said.

Bannered by 7-foot-3 Hamed Hedadi of the Memphis Grizzlies, the Iranians earned a berth in the Beijing Olympics last year under Toroman and then, administered long-time powerhouse China a severe 70-52 beating in the finals of the recent 25th Fiba-Asia Championship in front of a partisan crowd.

"I think the biggest thing that gave me hope was when Iran beat China in their homecourt. If you look at Iran, it’s no bigger than us, except maybe for Hamed, who’s really the focal point. But everyone else I guess, is comparable to us.

"But it’s not so much the look, the height and the size of Iran that impresses me, but it’s their look of confidence and the look that they are having fun as a team…. when you look at them, it’s like they’ve been living together the past 20 years. They just seem like they know each other very well," said Eala, who scouted the Asian opposition along with Toroman during the Fiba-Asia meet in Tianjin.

Then again, the SBP executive reiterated that it won’t going to be easy for the Smart Gilas squad.

The Daily Tribune (http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20090826spo1.html)