PDA

View Full Version : Signs of the Times

isabelino
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2405697&id=84541107889#/photo.php?pid=2694708&id=84541107889

PeterPaulMario
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I just noticed that more devotees start their Visita Iglesia or pilgrimage trek at sundown. Obviously, they do so to avoid the scorching heat of the sun this summertime.

I am not a religious person, but my understanding of this Holy Week practice is to commemorate the suffering and passion of Christ.

Then why do it during the comfort of night time and avoid getting scorched by the sun?

Para bang nagkaroon ng option si Kristo na sabihin sa mga Romano, "Pwede ba mamayang hapon na natin simulan ang pagbubuhat ng cross patungo sa Golgotha? Sobrang init kasi sa araw, baka ma-sunburn ako."

BigBlue
04-02-2010, 06:50 PM
PeterPaulMairo, while i see your point, i believe that many of those who do the Visita Iglesia do this after the Maundy Thursday mass, which is done around sundown.

PeterPaulMario
04-03-2010, 07:06 AM
The mass held at around sundown on Maundy Thursday commemorates the Last Supper. By tradition people retire after dinner.

Holy Week observance is very much a cultural and traditional ritual for Filipinos. Most of what we do outside the Mass itself are not official rituals of the Catholic Church. Also, just as people and communities are diverse, the observance of the the Visita Iglesia and pilgrimage trek can be as diverse. But to do so at that time of the day where it is most convenient to one's BeloMed complexion, something is not right.

Again, the various ways of observance is very much cultural and tradition in nature. If this people would want to start a tradition of their own, no one has the right to question that.

But let them be reminded, nothing convenient was accorded to the Man on those days of Thursday and Friday.