PDA

View Full Version : Best Coach for International Competitions

chocoks77
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Who do you think is the best to coach the Philippines in international competitions nowadays? Viable answers and reasons please ;D

Ghostrider
07-23-2009, 11:59 AM
It's not Yeng Guiao. Coaching the Philippine men's Basketball team is a full time job. Coaching is merely one facet, there's also international scouting, identification of potential national players and training/development of existing players.

Yeng's primary work is politics (Pampanga Vice Governor) while dabbling in PBA coaching. He doesn't have time to analyze foreign competition nor apprise himself of the latest trends in international competition.

With the current worldwide competitive level of basketball, the days of half hearted commitments and all star teams are over (see USA Basketball program).

Also, the BCAP's position banning foreign coaches should be scrutinized, in light of world wide trends. The Philippine's position is too parochial, resulting in the stagnation of our basketball program.

clutchjedi
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Right now, Smart Gilas coach Rajko Toroman has knowledge of the international game which no local coach can match.

On the basics - shooting, movement, discipline, etc. - he sets a higher standard where local coaches would already be satisfied, because he knows that's the level it takes to succeed internationally - a level other Asian teams have reached, so we should be able to as well. I hope we can have young coaches learn from him who could continue his program someday rather than totally revamp it.

Among previous local coaches, I thought Chot Reyes' effort was the most promising - we showed we could keep up with Iran and Jordan (and also Lebanon in tuneup games). I would have preferred him to Yeng Guiao for this PBA NT.

digitalsuperman
07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
speaking of toroman.. i was wondering if BCAP filed a case against SBP when they hired him to coach our gilas team?

snakerattle79
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Toroman is the best Choice

korn666333
07-24-2009, 12:43 PM
mas mabuti kung si toroman dahil mafocus ang pagtrain nya sa mga players, not like our coaches here na marami ang responsibilities. salamat at naisipan nila eala si toroman, need natin talaga laging practice di yung once a week lang. di ata tayo NBA na kukuha lang agad pag malapit na ang tourney, magagaling yun eh. kaya pwedeng pwede nila gawin yun, eh tayo? wala,walang wala sa lahat. smart gilas nalang pag.asa.

mas ok yung team ni coach reyes last 2007 yun nalang sana line up hanggang ngayon,dahil yun mga players dati mas marunong na mag adjust.

Emon74
07-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Jong Uichico, he's also a proven winner, I would choose Jong over Yeng Guiao and Chot Reyes.

m_14
07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
sa tingin ko mas ok kung si chot reyes sana ulit kasi mas familiar na siya sa international game e, not like yeng guiao na puro excuses lang ginagawa ngayon..coach toroman would also be suitable for the job pero madami nga lang kumokontra.