PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Season 85 for the Knights of Letran

arriba95
07-08-2009, 10:56 AM
CSJL almost won vs favored JRU 66-69.
CSJL outplayed by underdog AU 73-81.

Lets keep our posts going with the hope that our team starts winning. I believe that the boys are still in the honeymoon period. The other teams better watch out once our dribblers get into the groove.

I saw the whole 1st game and the 2nd game's 4Q. My assessment:

1. RJ Jazul just keeps getting better all the time. The key is to devise more decoy plays for him as the other teams have the natural tendency to focus the defense on him.

2. As in every year, Rey Guevarra needs to be more consistent, aggressive, and assertive. His talent can go to naught if he cannot put his game up a notch.

3. Kevin Alas. Whew, what can I say. Im just glad he stayed in Muralla. Lots of potential for this true blue youngster college freshman.

4. Reymar Gutilban. Still has the shooting touch and that teardrop shot. Will be a big asset provided he gets the composure and confidence boost c/o Coach.

5. Jam Cortes and John Foronda. Our bigs need to defend more effectively and work on their post moves. Also, their passing ability to our multitude of shooters should be further developed.

6. Jaypee Belencion. Gotta love the guts and instant offense this guy brings. Should have wiser shot selection and better recognition of an open teammate if bottled up.

7. Kirk del Rosario. Concentrate on being an effective reliever and quarterback. Nuff said.

8. Jun Alas and Aloy Taplah - Hope they never get the "overrated" tag.

9. Fredrick Malabago, Andrei Pantin, Jomar Datang, Rey Publico, Patrick Ang - Out to prove their worth. And to introduce themselve to the competition, of course.

The rest of our schedule for the 1st round elims:

The Arena, San Juan
July 8 Wed 2pm, Perpetual
July 13 Mon 4pm, MIT
July 20 Mon 2pm, CSB
July 24 Fri 2pm, SBC
July 29 Wed 4pm, AUF
Aug 5 Wed 4pm, EAC
Aug 14 Fri 2pm, SSC-R

Push on the victory to the van, Rah Rah Letran Anack!!!

gider
07-08-2009, 04:25 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/NCAA%2085/IMG_1852.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/NCAA%2085/IMG_1832.jpg

ilovedhay
07-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Guevarra and Jazul most provide leadership and skills na natutunan nila sa smart gilas

duphaR007
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
ask ko lang kung taga saan si aloy taplah? is he half filipino?

Rafiboy_05
07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
ask ko lang kung taga saan si aloy taplah? is he half filipino?

taplah is half pinoy & half Liberian pero dito siya sa pinas lumaki if Im not mistaken

ilovedhay
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Letran wins the Battle of Intramuros 73 -51

bugleboy
07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
well, the letran diesel engine is finally heating up. good win against benilde today, 86 - 69.

will the knights be ready for the lions this coming friday? abangan...

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Update on today's game:

San Beda 27 - Letran 25, 6:39 2ndQ

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 02:51 PM
San Beda 30 - Letran 34, 4:07 2ndQ

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 03:01 PM
San Beda 43 - Letran 40, halftime

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 03:22 PM
San Beda 45 - Letran 49, 4:24 3rdQ

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
San Beda 58 - Letran 60, end of 3rdQ

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
San Beda 70 - Letran 69, 3:16 4thQ

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 03:58 PM
San Beda 74 - Letran 72, 1:49 4thQ

bladerunner
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
San Beda 79 - Letran 74, Final

bugleboy
07-24-2009, 11:59 PM
the knights fought well. jazul, the alas brothers, cortes, belencion, gutilban, etc. all came to play today. well done! it's just that the lions played just a little bit better. no matter, 12 more games to go. malayo pa ito.

christian
07-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Kumusta na si Rey Dangcal? ???

dark_blue
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
^sabi sa alumni newsletter (june 2009 issue), nasa Cardinal Santos Medical Center nagpapagaling

ilovedhay
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
next assignment: EAC Generals
Goodluck this wednesday ;D

bugleboy
08-06-2009, 12:21 AM
the knights fought tooth-and-nail with the game eac generals and came away with the win, 85 - 84 in overtime. it was a hard game full of dubious calls and non-calls, which upset the knights no end. it was obvious that our guys tried hard to adjust to the referees' calls but found it hard to do so because of the inconsistency.

our offense was off today. we threw a lot of bricks that translated into transition points for the generals because we invariably lost out in the rebounds.

coach alas had a relatively short rotation today consisting of jazul, guevarra, the alas brothers, foronda, cortes, datang, gutilban, and del rosario. belencion also saw action today for a short period. he made one quick triple then was relegated to the bench when he missed around five more in succession.

our guys were all tuckered out near the end of the fourth quarter and by the extension period, and it was just by sheer guts that they were able to pull this out of the fire. datang actually had three chances to ice the game in regulation but muffed his second free throw and two point-blank attempts after he had snared the rebound with around three seconds left.

in fairness to the generals, they really came to play -- especially argel mendoza, cubo and diolanto. mendoza ran rings around guevarra and whoever was guarding him. mabuti na lang that he made two key errors near the end that sealed the deal for the knights.

in sum, this was an ugly win. but a win is still a win, and i'll take it over a loss any day.

go, fight, letran -- arriba!

ilovedhay
08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
muntikan na sila matalo.... :o

arriba95
08-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Another close game lost by the Knights. Our losses in the first round were all by a hairline. This simply proves that we have what it takes to make it all the way to the top. Bawi tayo sa second round Team!

Arriba Letran!

ilovedhay
08-15-2009, 10:38 AM
talo sa stamina. Napagod sa kaka-trap nila dapat magaling ang second stringers ng Letran para ma-sustain ang lead para hindi kapusin sa huli

ESCALERA JR.
08-16-2009, 06:38 PM
We were up by 10 points...would have been better if the starters were given ample rest and let the 2nd stringers continue even for just 5 mins.
There was one stretch in the game our gunners went silent and the 10 pt margin was overtaken in a snuf.
Quite obvious we dont have a deep bench. But still it was a very exciting game despite the loss.

bugleboy
08-16-2009, 11:05 PM
^Breaks lang iyan. We will do better in the second round. We will be in the Final Four. Onward to victory!

6thmaninred
08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Ang venue ba ng game natin -san beda vs letran-this round 2 ay sa arena at hindi sa araneta?

Regular Grey
08-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Arena ang Venue

6thmaninred
08-17-2009, 08:03 AM
oohh sayang naman at hindi sa araneta.. mukang baste-san beda nga ang araneta.. well goodluck nalang..
beat baste arriba letran sa 2nd round
payback time din kami!

iAnimo!

Sam Miguel
08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/NCAACortezvBaste.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/NCAA09GuevaravBaste.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/NCAA09BelencionvPascual.jpg

All images courtesy of Joe Buduan.

ilovedhay
08-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Letran Knights assure that there will be no an upset attempt by EAC General. Simply demolished the guest team final score 92 - 66

ilovedhay
08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Letran goes head to head with Arellano for 4th place with another win over the Cardinals
by Mia Domingo
329 Views | 9 Comments

Mapua thought they could play the spoilers role but the Letran Knights took a gallant stand and snatched a win over the Cardinals, 70-65 to keep their hopes alive for a Final Four birth in Season 85.

The duo of Rey Guevarra and RJ Jazul combined for 30 points and 12 rebounds to put the Knights within striking distance until the 3rd period. The Cardinals posted their biggest lead of 14 points, 44-30, with 7:52 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. The Knights ignited a 15-0 run that held Mapua were scoreless for 4-minutes including a short jumper from Kevin Alas at the 2:21 minute mark for the go-ahead basket putting Letran in the driver’s seat, 51-50.

Letran a 2 point advantage going into the final period then extending their lead to 8-points, 61-53. The Cardinals threatened Letran down the stretch with a 2-point lead, 61-59 thru Mark Acosta’s 5 straight points. A crucial steal from RJ Jazul in the last 12 seconds sealed the win for the Knights.

Erwin Cornejo led the Cardinals with 15 points and 8 rebounds with Mark Acosta adding 13 points.
“The boys were very eager and didn’t have the right timing in the 1st half. Good thing in the 3rd, we were able to pick up, said Letran Head Coach Louie Alas after the game.

“We’ll be having a crucial game on Friday (Aug. 28) If we want to move on to the next level. We need to beat Arellano since we’re sharing the 4th spot with them, Coach Alas added.

BOX SCORES:

LETRAN 70 – Guevarra 18, Jazul 12, K. Alas 11, Cortes 9, Belencion 5, Del Rosario 4, Foronda 4, Datang 3, Taplah 2, Gutilban 2, Alas 0.

MIT 65 – Cornejo 15, Acosta 13, Guillermo 11, Ranises 8, Pascual 6, Sarangay 5, Parala 4, Maniego 2, Stevens 1, Espinosa 0.

QUARTER SCORES: 12-11, 30-36, 53-51, 70-65.

bugleboy
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
^I watched snatches of this game via TV phone yesterday (salamat sa MyPhone) as I was stuck in a meeting. It seemed like the Cardinals had the Knights' number up to the third quarter, then just like that, Guevarra, Alas and Jazul turned on a switch and voila... the Knights had the lead. Galing!

Arellano, however, will be a different story altogether, as I do not think we can start cold and hope to catch up in the last quarter. Naunahan tayo ng mga ito the last time we met, so we had to crawl back from a 20+ point deficit only to sputter out in the end. Dapat hindi na mangyari ulit ito. We should come out smoking in the next game and never let up until the final buzzer.

ESCALERA JR.
08-28-2009, 08:43 PM
^the game was played exactly how you described it would be bugleboy. The 12 point
cushion was just enough to withstand the Chiefs rampage in the 4th canto. Had there
been a couple more minutes left, ewan ko lang baka tumukod...but overall, it was nice going over
the hump in the 1st round that was the Arellano-Chiefs.

Is the coast now clear for a final 4?

bugleboy
08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
^Maybe Coach Louie owes me a beer then. ;D I'm just glad that the Knights won -- refs' weird calls, notwithstanding. I don't have the figures right now, but I think Arellano gunner Gio Ciria Cruz's numbers were inflated quite a bit by all those foul shots he made. Mabuti na lang hindi bumitaw sina Jazul at Guevarra hanggang sa huli.

ilovedhay
08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Grabe bakulaw lumaro yung Gio Ciriacruz.

ilovedhay
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Letran won versus CSB Blazers to improve their final 4 contention

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:15 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6592.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6596.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:18 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6599.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6624.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6635.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6637.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6639.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6651.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_6633.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

ilovedhay
09-04-2009, 03:22 PM
thanks for the Pictures. Next assignment AUF

ESCALERA JR.
09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
i think we have a lock on the 4th spot...huwag lang matatalo ng dalwang sunod.

ilovedhay
09-07-2009, 06:12 PM
solid na tayo sa Final 4. Ang laki ng improvement ni Rey Guevarra sa mga depensa o opensa. 6 out of 6 sa 3pt area. They clinch their 10th win after defeating AUF Great Danes 100 - 83

ESCALERA JR.
09-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Final 4 scenario as of tonite would be Letran vs SSC.

Ayus to!

Hwag sana ma-kuryente pero mas ok kalaban ang Baste sa semis....
sana maulit yung Kerby Raymundo, Allan Salansang days...remember 1999?

bugleboy
09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
The Knights played sloppy basketball today, but still won handily over the AUF Great Danes. RJ Jazul and Rey Guevarra shot the lights out of the Arena but our defense was really off, enabling the Danes to score a lot of points in transition. We'd better wake ourselves up on the defensive side if we hope to exact revenge on the Heavy Bombers this coming Friday. We definitely will not win this one through a shoot-out. We have to find ways to shut them out, especially guys like Wilson, Cagoco, Sena and Hayes -- hopefully without wasting too many fouls.

I think that in order to finally book a Final Four seat, we have to win at least one game against the frontrunners. And the best candidate for that "distinction" would be JRU. If we win this one on Friday, then we can look forward to our game vs. the Stags with a lot more confidence.

I saw the game today of SSC vs. Mapua and the Stags are really in the groove. I'm amazed at how well-oiled and how disciplined their team is. But of course, the Letran loyalist in me still believes that our team has the cojones to pull off a win over them. Di pa tapos ang laban.

ilovedhay
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Final 4 scenario as of tonite would be Letran vs SSC.

Ayus to!

Hwag sana ma-kuryente pero mas ok kalaban ang Baste sa semis....
sana maulit yung Kerby Raymundo, Allan Salansang days...remember 1999?

Letran was 4th seeded while No.1 ang Baste. Hopefully may dejavu na mangyari since that was 10 years ago

bugleboy
09-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Re the game yesterday, the main reaction I have is -- what the heck happened? ???

Hats off, though, to the Heavy Bombers. They scouted our guys well and played excellent defense. They showed that they have what it takes to go further in this conference.

As for our Knights, I hope this was just an aberration -- one of those WTF games that comes once every conference or two (like that blow-out we suffered two years ago at the hands of the Cardinals). Di pa rin tapos ang laban. Kaya pa iyan!

ilovedhay
09-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Kapag maganda ang depensa kay Jazul or Guevarra. Tapos ang basketball sa Letran. Walang nag-step up hindi pa masyadong hinog sa crunch time si Kevin Alas pero katagalan makikita mo ang malaking improvement next season

bugleboy
09-17-2009, 09:48 AM
^Well, yesterday it looked like somebody had the courage to step up in place of Jazul and Guevarra -- Kevin Alas. The young Alas was simply amazing as he almost single-handedly took on UPHSD's defense with his slashing moves to the basket. Cortes also stepped up. But we still needed RJ's last quarter heroics to create a much larger lead over the Altas. The final score belies how close this game was. Up to the end of the third quarter, Perps was still close enough to steal this game away from us.

Our free-throw shooting sucks (23 out of 38, or around 60%). I think this was one of the games where our team had more free-throw attempts than the competition (UPHDS had 18 attempts, making 12 of them), but still we managed to bungle slightly more than half of our attempts. This game should not even have been that close, even in the earlier quarters, if only we had a more decent FT percentage.

Still and all, a good win by the Knights. Hopefully, this game boosted the confidence of our players not named RJ or Rey that they can still make a game of it even if our two main guns fall silent. Arriba!

ilovedhay
09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
It's not all about RJ Jazul and Rey Guevarra show for the knights. A break out performance for the young Alas and sophomore Jam Cortes.

bladerunner
09-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Let's Go Knights! Let's end this SSC streak today!

batangueńo
09-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Letran UPSETS San Sebastian, 80-63!

bugleboy
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Finally -- a big win by the Knights, and it couldn't have come at a better time! Even though this does not improve Letran's fourth-place standing, it's significant because it stopped the Stags' win streak and put an end to their claims to invulnerability. Also, the win made sure that we will have a regular Final Four series, and not a stepladder semifinal.

Great show by the R & R combo, the Alas brothers, Del Rosario, Cortes, Datang, Belencion and even Foronda. Defense won the day for us here. We were able to dictate the tempo of this game, thereby taking the Stags out of their comfort zone.

Hopefully, we should be able to build on this win and finish the elims on a winning note.

On to the Red Lions! Arriba!

arriba95
09-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Astig Knights! If Baste made history with its 15-game win run, we also have a place in the NC books as the team that broke that SSC-R streak.

RJ and Rey each scored a third of the team's total output. Great support by the rest of the squad especially on defense and hustle plays.

Although there were a lot of roughhousing and physical plays, im just glad nothing of those got out of hand. Kudos to the players,coaches and refs.

Never let your guard down, guys! Let's carry that momentum to our game against SBC on Wednesday ;D

bugleboy
10-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Murphy's Law was at work for Letran yesterday. Lahat na ng palpak na puwedeng mangyari, nangyari. Foul trouble, sour shooting, coach thrown out -- you name it. It's very easy to say "luto", and to a certain extent, this may be justified. But the refs -- no matter how crooked -- do not alter the trajectory of shots and our passes. Marami talagang sablay yesterday, and even if the refs called it fairly, we still would have lost, albeit at a lesser margin.

Actually, it is a testament to the fighting hearts of the Knights that this game did not end as a massive blow-out. At one point, San Beda was leading by close to 30 points. But successive treys by Jazul, Del Rosario and Guevarra, plus timely steals and conversions brought the final deficit down to 12 points.

That move by San Beda's Lanete (kicking Taplah when he was down) has just got to be the lowest of low blows. Muntik pa ngang tawagan si Taplah ng technical kasi sinugod niya si Lanete afterwards, but the refs were prevailed upon to change their minds and call the unsportsmanlike foul on Lanete. But of course, true to form, they also called the second technical on Coach Louie (for pointing out the refs' impending error?). Ang labo talaga.

oca
10-03-2009, 12:07 PM
What I cannot understand about Letran's game yesterday was they took it very seriously. They played so physical and so intense as if the game was a case of life and death. It was no bearing for them and will playing in that manner help them at all in their F4 preparation.

Posturing? What for? What was to be gained?

Hindi naman sa ibigay nila ang laro. They can play hard and tough as they usually do, but to take that approach as if a win will give them a twice-to-beat advantage....

Great generals choose the battles they fight in their quest to win the war. Yesterday's game was the wrong battle in that respect. Imo, dito may pagkakamali si Coach Alas.

Regular Grey
10-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Ang di ko rin maintindihan, simula pa lamang parang Coach alas was asking the refs na ithrown out siya. Parang umpisa pa lang pikon na siya.

Tsaka bakit pati pari nag rereklamo sa Commissioner??? ???

bugleboy
10-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't think any coach in his right mind would want to get thrown out. Alas has always been a fiery, passionate coach -- a guy who will not back down and will press on if he thinks he is right. Obviously, kaya siya nagrereklamo ay dahil may nakikita siyang dahilan para siya ay magreklamo. Of course, because you are on the opposite side, you will see the situation differently from him.

Re brother Oca's point, this is an interesting observation. Would Letran have been better served if the Knights treated this game less intensely? Perhaps. But then, that would mean they would have to play at an un-Knight-like level, whatever this means. I can't profess to know what Coach Louie had in mind, but perhaps he just wanted the Knights to end the elims on a winning note, so that they could use the momentum going into the Final Four. Quite frankly, I don't think the Knights would have won against the Red Lions if they had approached this as just another game. Opinion ko lang naman.

oca
10-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't think any coach in his right mind would want to get thrown out. Alas has always been a fiery, passionate coach -- a guy who will not back down and will press on if he thinks he is right. Obviously, kaya siya nagrereklamo ay dahil may nakikita siyang dahilan para siya ay magreklamo. Of course, because you are on the opposite side, you will see the situation differently from him.

Re brother Oca's point, this is an interesting observation. Would Letran have been better served if the Knights treated this game less intensely? Perhaps. But then, that would mean they would have to play at an un-Knight-like level, whatever this means. I can't profess to know what Coach Louie had in mind, but perhaps he just wanted the Knights to end the elims on a winning note, so that they could use the momentum going into the Final Four. Quite frankly, I don't think the Knights would have won against the Red Lions if they had approached this as just another game. Opinion ko lang naman.

I was expecting them to "calibrate their intensity". It was no bearing so they can play relax, that should have served their shooting well. If you had observed the banging that took place, it happened right from the get go, tiyak may instruction ng coach yun. Yun ang di ko talaga maintindihan taking into account it was no bearing for the Knights.

For most calls on hard contacts away from play, maraming double-fouls ang tinawag. Malinaw na walang pakialam ang refs kung sino ang nauna, parehong tatawagan. Pero aminin na natin, that hard and tough play was a Louie Alas trademark. Again, I just don't get it knowing what was at stake for Letran. In this case, nothing.

Tinalo nila ang SSC-R and that asssured a semis playoff. Alam naman ng madla na sa F4 buhos na lahat, so what was all that banging of bodies in yesterday's game?

Pero sabi ng isang kaibigan kanina, maybe Alas took the game as a playoff itself becausse he doesn't want SBC to be at first place at the end of elims. (I am assuming the reader knows the complications of a possible double or triple tie for first if SBC and JRU wins their remaining games starting with yesterday's games.) Sa opinyon ng kaibigan ko, hindi tatalunin ng Letran ang SBC ng dalawang sunod sa F4, pero kaya nilang talunin ng dalawang sunod ang sino man sa JRU at SSC-R.

In short, talunin ang SBC para huwag ito maging first seed at huwag nila makatapat sa F4. Make sense to me.

KingRedLion
10-04-2009, 12:55 AM

I was expecting them to "calibrate their intensity". It was no bearing so they can play relax, that should have served their shooting well. If you had observed the banging that took place, it happened right from the get go, tiyak may instruction ng coach yun. Yun ang di ko talaga maintindihan taking into account it was no bearing for the Knights.

For most calls on hard contacts away from play, maraming double-fouls ang tinawag. Malinaw na walang pakialam ang refs kung sino ang nauna, parehong tatawagan. Pero aminin na natin, that hard and tough play was a Louie Alas trademark. Again, I just don't get it knowing what was at stake for Letran. In this case, nothing.

Tinalo nila ang SSC-R and that asssured a semis playoff. Alam naman ng madla na sa F4 buhos na lahat, so what was all that banging of bodies in yesterday's game?

Pero sabi ng isang kaibigan kanina, maybe Alas took the game as a playoff itself becausse he doesn't want SBC to be at first place at the end of elims. (I am assuming the reader knows the complications of a possible double or triple tie for first if SBC and JRU wins their remaining games starting with yesterday's games.) Sa opinyon ng kaibigan ko, hindi tatalunin ng Letran ang SBC ng dalawang sunod sa F4, pero kaya nilang talunin ng dalawang sunod ang sino man sa JRU at SSC-R.

In short, talunin ang SBC para huwag ito maging first seed at huwag nila makatapat sa F4. Make sense to me.

Only in this light will it make sense to me why the Knights played that way yesterday.

Regular Grey
10-04-2009, 05:55 AM
I've seen Coach Alas coaching so many time. Dahil na rin sa taon taon nagkaka tapat palagi ang ating mga koponan. Sa nakaraang mga laro, may mga questionable calls, pero nakita ko na di gaanong nag re react si Coach Alas, naka focus siya sa game. Minsan siya pa ang umaawat sa players o assistants niya kung masyadong ma reklamo.

Pero yung last game iba. Umpisa pa lang, nag re reklamo na siya. Pero tama ka nga bugle boy, di natin alam ang nasa isip ni Coach. Baka yan ang idea niya para ma pscyh ang mga referees at pati na rin ang tanggapan ng commissioner.

The_Big_Cat
10-04-2009, 10:26 AM
What's the update on Rey Guevarra's left knee injury?

Rafiboy_05
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Sprain lang daw yung injury ni Rey. di naman daw malala.

razor
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
The ABL will kick off on Oct.10 in Indonesia. It will be interesting to see how Alas will juggle his time coaching the Knights and the Patriots.

kablooey
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Sprain lang daw yung injury ni Rey. di naman daw malala.

Can anyone confirm this? I read it from Rick Olivares' blog bleachersbrew.blogsopt.com,

"Had a short chat with Letran coach Louie Alas this afternoon. He is staying with Letran and not transferring anywhere else. Well, aside from mentoring the Philippine Patriots in the Asean Basketball League. One of his players, Rey Guevarra suffered an ACL injury with about a minute left in their match last Friday against San Beda.

Rey was distraught as he and RJ Jazul have led the Letran Knights to a Final Four berth with a 12-6 record in the NCAA and Smart Gilas Pilipinas has resumed practicing as a unit."

Sayang naman si Guevarra if this is true. He was peaking pa naman and he seems to have found his grrove with Letran and Gilas.

Rafiboy_05
10-07-2009, 09:04 PM
sorry my bad, ACL nga yung nangyari kay Rey. too bad out for the season na siya. goodluck na lang sa basketball career niya, bata pa naman siya eh. kapag gumaling yun babalik na ulit laro niya lalo't nasa Smart Gilas siya under Coach Toroman.

ESCALERA JR.
10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
That's it for our KNIGHTS in Season 85.

Congrats to the Sanbeda Red Lions!

Salamat din sa mga graduating players naten, with special mention to former SQUIRES turned Gallant KNIGHTS:

Sir Rafael Joey "RJ"Jazul and Sir Rey Guevarra.
You've done us proud!
Make us proud wearing the National Colors too!

ARRIBA!

bugleboy
10-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Yup, we had our chances yesterday, but perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. Anyway, great effort by the Knights -- particularly RJ Jazul, Reymar Gutilban, Kevin Alas, Jam Cortes, Kirk Del Rosario and even Junjun Alas, Jomar Datang and John Foronda.

I really liked that three-point attempt by Jazul that was challenged by Daniel; Jazul just took a step to his left to avoid Daniel, took the shot and converted. May staredown pa siya kay Daniel afterward. Astig! I also liked the spunk shown by Kevin Alas -- starting with coming in with Guevarra's jersey over his own, to show to all and sundry that he would take up the cudgels for Rey. And take up the cudgels he did! He took all the Bedan guards to school; I think he managed to steal from Hermida, Lanete and Caram and convert these steals into baskets. And of course, if Kevin's last trey had gone in, perhaps we would have witnessed a different ending. Gutilban also had a great game, not only scoring treys but also working hard on defense.

That block by Datang on Daniel also made my day. Of course, we could not stop Daniel totally, as he still was able to grab crucial rebounds and key several fastbreaks that broke our backs, but still we have to give props to Datang for his courageous stand.

Maraming salamat, Knights, lalong lalo na kina RJ, Rey at Reymar. That was one heck of an enjoyable season. As Bossing Escalera Jr. said, "You've done us all proud!" Arriba!

ilovedhay
10-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Staring at the face of an African invasion of college ball, the school’s stand is to use only homegrown players. Even if it means not winning a championship then so be it,” said Alas.

baller_one
10-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Staring at the face of an African invasion of college ball, the school’s stand is to use only homegrown players. Even if it means not winning a championship then so be it,” said Alas.

PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Mark ANDAYA (C, 6'6", Letran)
Froilan BAGUION (G, 5'8", National)
Christopher BALUYOT (F, 6'2", San Sebastian-Manila)
Christian CORONEL (G, 5'8", San Sebastian-Manila)
Nathaniel CRUZ (C, 6'5", Mapua Tech)
Dino DAA (F, 6'1", Letran)
Jason DIXON (C, 6'9", Liberty)
Jerwin GACO (F, 6'2", De La Salle-Manila)
Kasim MIRZA (F, 6'3", Santo Tomas)
Hafer MONDRAGON (F, 6'3", Letran)
Neil RANESES (F, 6'2", Visayas)
Ricky RICAFUENTE (G, 5'9", TIP-Manila)
Geremy ROBINSON (F, 6'3", Hawaii)
Erwin SANTA MARIA (6'1", F, Mapua Tech)
Robert WAINWRIGHT (F, 6'3", Solano College)

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

:)

Mikhail
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
^
Rather irrelevant as that is a completely different team.

baller_one
10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
^
Rather irrelevant as that is a completely different team.

Uhhhhmmmm, you don't get the point.

The NCAA is about school competition. If you want to discuss what is irrelevant, this tournament (NCAA) is where race is irrelevant.

On the other hand, the ASEAN Basketball League is a tournament where you pit country versus another country. Our team, which carries the Philippine flag and called Philippine Patriots, is ironically laden with import/s recruited by Coach Louie Alas.

Mikhail
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
On the other hand, the ASEAN Basketball League is a tournament where you pit country versus another country. Our team, which carries the Philippine flag and called Philippine Patriots, is ironically laden with import/s recruited by Coach Louie Alas.

Tell that to all the teams then. Pauwiin mo na rin sina Camaso, Vergara, Ricafuente, et al. dahil di sila naglalaro sa Pilipinas. At si Bong Ramos na rin! ;D

Regular Grey
10-27-2009, 09:32 AM
ASEAN Basketball League - Puwede may import kahit na pangalan ng bansa mo ang naka bandera

NCAA - Puwede ang Estudyante - nasa tamang gulang at nakatapos ng high school - kahit na saang lupalop ka pa galing.

May na violate ba na rules kung may 3 amerikanong players sa Team Phil Patriots????

WALA!!

May na violation ba kapag may student athlete ka na gustong maglaro sa school mo kahit Aprikano ka, Amerikano, Serbian etc.

WALAAAAAAA!!!!!!

So bakit may mga statements pa na - ALL Fiipino Champs! - Kahit di mag champion basta bawal ang foreigner na student athlete. ETC ETc ETc

??? ??? ???

Mikhail
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
ASEAN Basketball League - Puwede may import kahit na pangalan ng bansa mo ang naka bandera

NCAA - Puwede ang Estudyante - nasa tamang gulang at nakatapos ng high school - kahit na saang lupalop ka pa galing.

Exactly. Complaining about imports sa ABL team natin = complaining about imports sa local collegiate leagues. Parehas naman walang kaso sa rules. ;D

(Correction na rin, 5 imports ang pwede, 3 ASEAN at 2 hindi)

So bakit may mga statements pa na - ALL Fiipino Champs! - Kahit di mag champion basta bawal ang foreigner na student athlete. ETC ETc ETc

Choice ng Letran 'yun kung ayaw nila ng foreigner. Kung pwedeng meron, pwede rin namang wala.

LION
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
^ Good luck then in getting your homegrown players.

LION
10-27-2009, 04:38 PM

The Semerad twins are not homegrown players and yet Alas was dying to recruit them.

shyboy
10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe Alas meant they'll just get players with Filipino lineage.

glock23
10-28-2009, 03:47 AM
Maybe Alas meant they'll just get players with Filipino lineage.

maybe? 'cause i knnow where the letran homegrowns are going! ;)

redlion123
11-02-2009, 05:34 PM
^^TAFT? or TAFAT.. ;D

bugleboy
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
^Ho ho ho! Tignan na lang natin ang mga susunod na kabanata...