PDA

View Full Version : The De La Salle University Green Archers Men's Basketball Team for the UAAP 72

izon
07-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Here is the official lineup of the Green Archers Men Basketball Team for the UAAP 72 courtesy of AP.com

1. Maui Villanueva
2. Gab Banal
3. Bader Malabes
4. Simon Atkins
5. Joshua Webb
6. Arvie Bringas
7. Ferdinand
8. Yutien Andrada
9. Peejay Barua
10. Hyram Bagatsing
11. James Mangahas
12. Kish Co
13. Sam Marata
14. Joel Tolentino
15. Jovet Mendoza
16. Jed Manguera

Out due to injury: Marko Batricevic and LA Revilla
Not included in the present lineup: Papot Paredes and Reyes

bchoter
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
LA is out due to injury? That's too bad :(. He was very impressive in the few games I saw in the offseason. He was a pest on defense and was very confident with his offense, taking well timed jumpers or penetrations. His absence will be a big blow to the team considering that he's the court general and one of the anchors of the full court press.

That 2 (LA and Martinez) less hardcore players this coming season.

GreenArrows
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
LA is out due to injury? That's too bad :(. He was very impressive in the few games I saw in the offseason. He was a pest on defense and was very confident with his offense, taking well timed jumpers or penetrations. His absence will be a big blow to the team considering that he's the court general and one of the anchors of the full court press.

That 2 (LA and Martinez) less hardcore players this coming season.

LA has a very serious illness. He lost 30 lbs in less than 2 weeks. However, he is starting to show signs of improvement. LA says he can be ok by the second round but doctors advised no competitive sports or activities for the next 3-4 months. By then, the UAAP would be over. We would rather LA sit out the year and get well COMPLETELY rather than take chances with his health. He should be up and about and READY by next season.

Gil_Andrews
07-02-2009, 02:20 PM
^^^^Sayang. Looking forward sana to his match-up with Eman Monfort.

The_Big_Cat
07-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Yutien Andrada got a slot over the highly touted Papot Paredes.
It must be Andrada's defensive skills that got him the slot.

oca
07-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Ilang taon na rito si Paredes sa Maynila pero ni minsan di pa nasukat ang kalibre ng bata sa isang matinding laro. Had he made himself available to play for the Red Cubs, that's one full academic year of intense training and actual game validation of that training against every top caliber Jr squad at the NCAA and MMBL. Then, punta ka sa collegiate team na talagang gusto mo.

Hindi ito basta pagpuna with the benefit of hindsight, isang pagpuna para maging aral sa ibang batang manlalaro.

Pag may nag-imbita na de-kalibreng Jrs. team, at wala ka namang regular na lalaruan, accept that offer or invitation.

He could have played for LSGH for that very same purpose...

glock23
07-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Ilang taon na rito si Paredes sa Maynila pero ni minsan di pa nasukat ang kalibre ng bata sa isang matinding laro. Had he made himself available to play for the Red Cubs, that's one full academic year of intense training and actual game validation of that training against every top caliber Jr squad at the NCAA and MMBL. Then, punta ka sa collegiate team na talagang gusto mo.

Hindi ito basta pagpuna with the benefit of hindsight, isang pagpuna para maging aral sa ibang batang manlalaro.

Pag may nag-imbita na de-kalibreng Jrs. team, at wala ka namang regular na lalaruan, accept that offer or invitation.

He was under the youth team then and it was TAO corp who chose to enroll him in Reedley just like Tolentino and Marata.

oca
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM

He was under the youth team then and it was TAO corp who chose to enroll him in Reedley just like Tolentino and Marata.

The two other names you mentioned can't play at the NCAA without taking 1-yr residency. While Paredes was eligible to play and need not take residency for any NCAA team, the reason I mentioned LSGH.

Anyway, tapos na yan.

Btw, saan nga ba ngayon sina Tolentino at Marata? ::)

glock23
07-02-2009, 10:42 PM

The two other names you mentioned can't play at the NCAA without taking 1-yr residency. While Paredes was eligible to play and need not take residency for any NCAA team, the reason I mentioned LSGH.

Anyway, tapos na yan.

Btw, saan nga ba ngayon sina Tolentino at Marata? ::)

Tama tapos na yon. Idol pa rin kita Oca! :) Kung sino ka man bilib ako sa mga alam mo.

Jaco D
07-02-2009, 11:45 PM
LA has a very serious illness. He lost 30 lbs in less than 2 weeks.

Yeah, that is really serious! Hopefully naagapan iyan ng mga doctor niya, whatever it is that's affecting him. Thank God the kid's athletic conditioning helped him weather such drastic drop in weight. For couch potatoes like us, God knows how things could have turned out. Hope he gets back to his old self soon.

MonL
07-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Yeah, that is really serious! Hopefully naagapan iyan ng mga doctor niya, whatever it is that's affecting him. Thank God the kid's athletic conditioning helped him weather such drastic drop in weight. For couch potatoes like us, God knows how things could have turned out. Hope he gets back to his old self soon.

I gathered that it was dengue which compounded his being a diabetic. That huge a weight loss for a person his size really is serious. I also suffered from the double whammy illness that struck him and understand what he's going through. And yes, recovery from dengue should be over a prolonged period. And after that, constant monitoring of his blood sugar levels coupled with regular medication and he'll be fine. He'll need time for that.

Mhel_Garrido
07-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Actually, ang problema ng DLSU is sa dami ng magaling mahirap magkaron ng final line up

Consider mo pa na next year nanjan na si Torres, Reyes, Paredes, Revilla,& Batricevic
The Green Archers will be solid the next 5 years.

GreenArrows
07-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Actually, ang problema ng DLSU is sa dami ng magaling mahirap magkaron ng final line up

Consider mo pa na next year nanjan na si Torres, Reyes, Paredes, Revilla,& Batricevic

How I wish that would all come true. Torres will play only starting Season 74. But as for reserved talent in the wings, you should see the ADMU, UST, and FEU's Team Bs. Many of their players in their Team Bs are good enough to play in Team A for other schools!

izon
07-06-2009, 06:35 AM

How I wish that would all come true. Torres will play only starting Season 74. But as for reserved talent in the wings, you should see the ADMU, UST, and FEU's Team Bs. Many of their players in their Team Bs are good enough to play in Team A for other schools!

I agree. Example of this would be Carlo Lastimosa, a former Team B baller of Ateneo, who have shown great talent while playilng in the pre season NCAA games for the Benilde Blazers. Unfortunately, he will be playing for the Blazers in the next NCAA season.

Mhel_Garrido
07-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Well, only one thing is for sure, the UAAP will be more exciting in the next few years!
Sa dami ng gusto maglaro sa UAAP quality players are willing to sit out a year so that they can
grab a slot the next year which eventually leads them to play better since sayang yung slot
kung di sila mag perform at baka maibalik lang sila sa Team B.

Tama kayo, I saw UST's Team B and heard about the 6'11 player of FEU's Team B.
And like what you guys said I also heard that Ateneo lost a lot of Team B players who
transferred to different schools. All these unknowns are willing to prove themselves when their time comes.

Expect the big names of DLSU to be tougher, kasi kung yung mga di kilala pinagaling ni Coach Franz ano pa
kaya yung mga good recruits nila. The future of your team and the UAAP looks great talaga...para tuloy akong
sirang plaka, sirang plaka...hehe

LION
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM

I gathered that it was dengue which compounded his being a diabetic. That huge a weight loss for a person his size really is serious. I also suffered from the double whammy illness that struck him and understand what he's going through. And yes, recovery from dengue should be over a prolonged period. And after that, constant monitoring of his blood sugar levels coupled with regular medication and he'll be fine. He'll need time for that.

Get well soon, LA!

lekiboy
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
^ i'll pray for LA's speedy recovery...

gcc888
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I also hope LA recovers. I cannot help but remember the incident in last year's semifinal when LA made fun of the Mac Baracael shooting. Could this be his Karma? I hope he will take this as a lesson in humility.

GHRanger
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I also hope LA recovers. I cannot help but remember the incident in last year's semifinal when LA made fun of the Mac Baracael shooting. Could this be his Karma? I hope he will take this as a lesson in humility.

I wouldn't really say it that way, a diabetic is a diabetic since birth. (except for us oldies who get it from err... elsewhere.) This issue has long been closed and if there was a lesson in humility with LA, it's been given by the management team and his fellow players.

gcc888
07-09-2009, 11:49 AM
He made fun of Baracael's misery and he did not even have the guts to personally apologize publicly or to Baracael himself. Sure, he must have been scolded by some team officials but he should have at least apologize. You may choose to consider that a close issue in the DLSU community but apparently not in the laws of Karma.

He has had diabetes since birth but they have managed to control it. The diabetes took a turn for the worse a few months ago and was complicated by dengue.

LION
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
^ That's what we call folly of the youth. LA surely learned a lesson in that incident. The kid is a nice young fellow. Kung minsan may mga nagagawa lang na hindi maganda due to excitement or peer pressure. Lahat naman tayo dumaan sa ganyan at nagsisisi din.

Nung Red Cub pa yan, I personally observed that he, like most Red Cubs, never taunted his opponents, was always respectful and courteous.

If this is his karma, then consider his dues paid. LA will surely stand again this time a better person. You can't keep a good man down.

glock23
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
^ That's what we call folly of the youth. LA surely learned a lesson in that incident. The kid is a nice young fellow. Kung minsan may mga nagagawa lang na hindi maganda due to excitement or peer pressure. Lahat naman tayo dumaan sa ganyan at nagsisisi din.

Nung Red Cub pa yan, I personally observed that he, like most Red Cubs, never taunted his opponents, was always respectful and courteous.

If this is his karma, then consider his dues paid. LA will surely stand again this time a better person. You can't keep a good man down.

Well said LION! Mabait pa din yun bata and is very optimistic that he will be back next season. You're right, you cant keep a good man down!

sanlo
07-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Well said LION! Mabait pa din yun bata and is very optimistic that he will be back next season. You're right, you cant keep a good man down!

Thats why it is important to have a good reputation. People will defend you and give you the benefit of the doubt. Kung karma nga yan, his dues are paid; sobra sobra pa nga.

Get well LA! Make bawe next year! Godspeed!

MonL
07-09-2009, 08:28 PM
^Who ever said that the two events are related, anyway, or that one is a consequence of the other? Why are we thinking in terms of cause and effect, when we are also taught that mercy is more desirable than justice, and that to forgive is divine?

Sorry for the OT. Sana tapos na ito.

Get well, L.A.

GHRanger
07-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Sorry for the OT. Sana tapos na ito.
Get well, L.A.

Agreed MonL.

This has been blown out of proportion IMHO, and I am disturbed that some people still manage to dig up this incident.
Expect LA to bounce back and we wish for his quick and full recovery. It's not going to be easy, but when he does, expect that he will come out better and more determined.

BFB -- OT na po. Sorry.

The_Big_Cat
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Confirmed na ba that this will be coach Franz Pumaren's last season?

MayG
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
tom is the start of this season of FAITH for all the La Salle faithful.. i bought my gang green shirt yesterday in this eating place in agno infront of the gokongwei building... am i ready? you bet i am... are we ready? LET's GET IT ON!!

nel
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Now where did you get that idea? Wishful thinking, perhaps?

It doesn't make sense for Franz to take the pains to recruit and assemble a team that will be competitive for years to come if he were planning to turn it over to someone else.

If he were leaving this season, don't you think he wouldn't like to go out with a championship by putting together the best team for one last hurrah? No, this team is built for the long haul, and it may not figure prominently in the race this year. But in 2-3 years, it will definitely be in the thick of the fight, and for the first time in ages, there is now a Team B which will probably include Norbert Torres, Martin Reyes, Marko Batricevic among others. Team B will be an incubator for potential Archers, and will participate in other tournaments to keep the players active.

Franz is still the same coach he has been for the last several years. He's still as meticulous in preparing the team, still keeps his eyes on the details, still tells the players off when they don't do what they're supposed to, and shows the fire and passion of his first year on the bench. After having watched him coach the team against UP in a tune up game last weekend, I believe he still enjoys coaching the Green Archers, and isn't at the point where he's considering calling it a day. But that's just me.

Shouldn't you have posted in the "tsismis" thread instead where it really belongs? After all, things posted there do come true, occasionally.

izon
07-11-2009, 07:20 PM
UE won by 19 points against DLSU. Congratulations to the UE Red Warriors.

Dunk
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Ever since the Green Archers had arrived from the US. Parang may problema na. lagi silang talo by big margin. very uncharacteristic. When Atkins didn't start for the game may problema na. Where is GAB Banal. Di man lang pinasok. Yung vaunted press nila is nowhere to be seen. The archers has a big homework to do.

ilovedhay
07-11-2009, 09:07 PM
They include Kevin Alas who went back to Letran instead

Dark Knight
07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Alam naman natin lahat na ang unang laro ay hindi sukatan ng magiging performance ng La Salle. Nararamdaman ko na mahihirapan sila ngayong taon.

Pangitain ba ang pagtala ng pinakamababa nilang puntos sa kanilang kasaysayan? Ang matalo ng 19 puntos? Ang matalo sa unang laro? Parang di karaniwan para sa tradisyunal na lakas ng La Salle.

Maaga pa namn ang torneyo.

Dunk
07-11-2009, 09:59 PM
SI kevin alas ba dapat sa DLSU? Parang pinapaboran kasi ni Coach Franz yung mga rookies nya. si barua at mangahas balewala. si atkins at webb ang nagpasahan ng bola. si bringas ang di na dapat kinuha. sayang lang.

nash_bedista
07-12-2009, 12:18 AM
i saw the scoreboard of each team, DLSU doesn't have players score at least 10 pts ..

izon
07-12-2009, 06:48 AM
i saw the scoreboard of each team, DLSU doesn't have players score at least 10 pts ..

I just hope that the Archers did not lose that "fire in their bellies" this UAAP season. But judging from its first game they seem to lose it. The winning attitude was not present. I guess and hope they would improve on their succeeding games. The Warriors deserve to win. They were definitely a better team.

McCoy
07-12-2009, 09:38 AM
They need to find a new leader...., malaking kawalan si JV Casio sa La Salle, sabog ang laro ng Archers kahapon. sayang hindi makakalaro si LA this season.

The_Big_Cat
07-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Ever since the Green Archers had arrived from the US. Parang may problema na. lagi silang talo by big margin. very uncharacteristic. When Atkins didn't start for the game may problema na. Where is GAB Banal. Di man lang pinasok. Yung vaunted press nila is nowhere to be seen. The archers has a big homework to do.

DLSU lost by a big margin to Adamson, UE, San Sebastian and San Beda after arriving from US. They even lost twice to Lyceum in the NSL.

What can you expect? Puro bata kasi eh. I think it may take two years before we could see these young kids to develop big time.

Joescoundrel
07-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Unable to score even 50 points, not a single player in double figures, the rookie-laden lineup might be showing its age. Was PJ Barua injured? He hardly stirred yesterday. James Mangahas is in the best position to stand up and take the leadership mantle, and this is no time for him to be bashful. This young roster needs to have a veteran leader take up the cudgels, or they will unravel sooner rather than later. Mangahas has to be it.

nel
07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately, UE did have a hand in the Archers' poor performance yesterday. Peejay and James were marked closely whenever they were on the floor. They weren't to blame for the result. The entire team has to step up. Two players can't will the win; JV and Rico tried last year.

Joe, yeah, the team is showing its age. Lots of promise, but translating that into results will take some doing. And some time.

izon
07-12-2009, 08:57 PM

DLSU lost by a big margin to Adamson, UE, San Sebastian and San Beda after arriving from US. They even lost twice to Lyceum in the NSL.

What can you expect? Puro bata kasi eh. I think it may take two years before we could see these young kids to develop big time.

Oo nga, mahirap makipagsabayan sa mga mama.

Joescoundrel
07-19-2009, 11:16 AM
With the loss versus FEU, is this the first time that head coach Franz Pumaren has started the UAAP season at 0-2?

jayloui
07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
yes it is...

shyboy
07-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Worse, it's the first 0-2 start for DLSU in 23 years per one of the newspaper articles.

Kid Cubao
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
relief is in sight, though, in the form of another winless team in the UP fighting maroons this thursday. i think everything will normalize a bit the moment you notch your first win. konting pasensya lang sa sitwasyon, maaayos din yan.

shyboy
07-20-2009, 01:34 PM
We need to jack up wins in the next games against UP, NU and Adamson for the team to gain some confidence in time for crucial games against Final Four competitor UST and powerhouse Ateneo.

GHRanger
07-21-2009, 04:48 PM
relief is in sight, though, in the form of another winless team in the UP fighting maroons this thursday. i think everything will normalize a bit the moment you notch your first win. konting pasensya lang sa sitwasyon, maaayos din yan.

Thanks for the kind words Kid.
Honestly- like many, I'm confident that once DLSU gets a string of wins, maslalakas loob ng mga players. A lot of people criticize the weaknesses of the team but they do not see the upside and talent that these boys have especially with a lot of confidence.

5FootCarrot
07-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Makikihirit lang po.

A lot of people criticize the weaknesses of the team but they do not see the upside and talent that these boys have especially with a lot of confidence.

I will admit that I'm one of those surprised at how your team is doing - but that's because I know that La Salle hit the recruiting jackpot this year. At the same time, though, I know that your rookies are as yet unaccustomed to playing in the big show that is the UAAP.

I also have a feeling that they won't be down for long.

shyboy
07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Our season starts today.

Animo La Salle!

blue scorpion
07-23-2009, 05:31 PM
The Archers needed a statement game. But this was not it. There were flashes of brilliance though.

shyboy
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
The Archers needed a statement game. But this was not it. There were flashes of brilliance though.

I agree but we have to start somewhere, and I think this is it. Hopefully the team continues to improve individually and collectively and starts to peak at the right time.

nel
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM

The good news - UP was held to their season low of 63 points en route to the icebreaker. The bad news - UP is an offensively challenged team, scoring 64 and 68 points in the previous two games against NU and Adamson, which are not known for their defensive ability. The Archers did break their season points record of 51, but it took more than 80 attempts to hit 27 field goals.

Except for the fact that the Archers moved out of the shared cellar position, there aren't that many positives you can get out of yesterday's game. They did play a little better, with more energy, and there were glimpses of the Archer game that we were used to in previous years. But that still won't cut it against the stronger teams. There's a long way to go, and realistically, the only thing we can shoot for at this point is to scrape it into the final 4. Hopefully along the way the team can spring a few surprises.

Kid Cubao
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
the important thing, though, is that la salle has something to build on from hereon. just as important, the team was able to overcome the psychological barrier of finally breaking into the win column after their first 0-2 opening in so many years. at this point, an ugly win is infinitely more preferable to an elegant loss. congrats la salle, you have a very young team with a lot of promise.

izon
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Congratulations to the Archers for its 2nd win against ADU.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Getting there, getting there.

Let's just pile up wins that we can so we can prepare vs the tougher teams.

GHRanger
07-30-2009, 04:09 PM
DLSU takes win #3 by defeating NU 68 - 48.

shyboy
07-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Next patient, please. Hello, UST. ;D

Bruticus
08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
DLSU 101 UST 92 in double OT. We are now 4-2 and bracing for the big match next week.

shyboy
08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Uh-oh, they must be peeing in their pants by now. ;D

bangis
08-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Congratulations for the win guys. Props to Bringas and Barua for both playing a hell of a ballgame. The shot by Barua definitely broke our backs.

We can't seem to win against you guys! ??? I honestly can't remember the last time we did. Anyway, we'll definitely try to get you back next round.

GO USTE!

glock23
08-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Congratulations for the win guys. Props to Bringas and Barua for both playing a hell of a ballgame. The shot by Barua definitely broke our backs.

We can't seem to win against you guys! ??? I honestly can't remember the last time we did. Anyway, we'll definitely try to get you back next round.

GO USTE!

Breaks of the game pare. and your players were very tired!

bangis
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Siguro nga you're right sir pablohoney, dylan played almost the whole game. Pero you guys played better than we did in the extra period. And the Barua 3-pointer was the dagger that killed us.

See you guys in the next round!

Go USTE!

fujima04
08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Congratulations!

No excuses for me. Simply you're the better team for this game.

See you next round.

Posterized
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Ihing-ihi na kami sa excitement! ;D

shyboy
08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
^ I'm sure you are. Sa lakas ba naman ng team niyo, I'd be disappointed if you don't win by at least 20 against a bunch of rookies, sophomores and role players. Masaya na kami makalaban lang kayo. Honest, peks man! ;D

kuzma1313
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Am excited with the team B, mas matatangkad pa sila sa team A. Sana next year, they can play with the team A...
Am curios and excited to watch OTTONE-OYIRE/GANGWANI/TORRES AND PAREDES.......

Go ARCHERS!

izon
08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Am excited with the team B, mas matatangkad pa sila sa team A. Sana next year, they can play with the team A...
Am curios and excited to watch OTTONE-OYIRE/GANGWANI/TORRES AND PAREDES.......

Go ARCHERS!

Ottone Oyire will not play this coming FMC cup.

bchoter
08-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Nakaka jingle nga yung laban!

aarreza
08-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Great game! Even though we fell short, no need for the team to be ashamed! The future of this team really, really looks bright as the "young ones" really carried the fight for us! ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

shyboy
08-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Nakaka jingle nga yung laban!

Si Rabeh, Baclao and Salamat na-ihi na nga rin eh tuwing masusupalpal ni Andrada. :D

glock23
08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
We really gave it to the defending champions today! Im proud of this very young team and i still feel we'll get them this year when it matters most.

Webb, Andrada, Bringas played really well in defending Rabeh, baclao and buenafe although Joshua's spunk became his downfall when he kicked Bacon. That resulted in a 5 point swing in favor of the ealgles.

Well, thats life! cant understand why the blues are still implying that they were cheated? Is it because they were bragging that first quarter palang tambak na or that they wont be happy with anything less than a 20 point blowout? Hinay hinay kasi sa kayabangan!!! he he

Sorry folks but our rookies owned your MVP and rookie of the year! ;D

shyboy
08-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm very happy with what the Archers have accomplished thus far after the forgettable first 2 games. Seeing those sorry, worried Atenean faces almost the whole game just made my day. The only bright spot they could see was seeing that Webb kick give them that much needed momentum. Funny, that's all they can think of at the moment. They'd rather forget MVP Al-Hussaini's trash-talking to Ferdinand and then, by karma, getting blocked, not once but twice, by the lanky unassuming Andrada. He got so frustrated and embarrased all he could do is clothesline Andrada. Buenafe's face got even more ludicrous when he can't keep in step with Webb. Nawala yung angas niya. Nagsisisigaw na lang nung lamang na sila.

Pards, I had to edit your post. Hinay-hinay lang pre, puso mo! Hehehe. Ipagpatawad mo sana itong ginawa ko. Thanks!

Joescoundrel
08-10-2009, 01:42 AM
We really gave it to the defending champions today! Im proud of this very young team and i still feel we'll get them this year when it matters most.

Webb, Andrada, Bringas played really well in defending Rabeh, baclao and buenafe although Joshua's spunk became his downfall when he kicked Bacon. That resulted in a 5 point swing in favor of the ealgles.

Well, thats life! cant understand why the blues are still implying that they were cheated? Is it because they were bragging that first quarter palang tambak na or that they wont be happy with anything less than a 20 point blowout? Hinay hinay kasi sa kayabangan!!! he he

Glock, at this juncture friggin' Peewee Herman would own our MVP. Truly his petulance and immaturity and whining are simple horrible, no focus, no determination at all, nothing but a sense of entitlement.

As for our ROY though, the numbers do not tell the whole story. When he played pointguard we finally got it done. And this is a guy you and the rest of the UAAP will be seeing (hopefully) for another three years.

coreytaylor
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
^ I'm sure you are. Sa lakas ba naman ng team niyo, I'd be disappointed if you don't win by at least 20 against a bunch of rookies, sophomores and role players. Masaya na kami makalaban lang kayo. Honest, peks man! ;D

you must be very disappointed at ateneo :D

shyboy
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM

Ah, Ateneo ba yun? Akala ko Adamson. Disappointed nga ako. ;D

coreytaylor
08-10-2009, 09:54 AM
^^^ bwahahaha nice game...tinakot niyo kami ha...tsk baka talo na kami next game

shyboy
08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
^ Any DLSU-ADMU game will always be a good game. Medyo nabulaga lang kayo but you still managed to get it done in the end. Of course we'll try to win it next time although malakas talaga team niyo.

Congratulations ulit, Ateneo!

glock23
08-10-2009, 03:14 PM
^^^ bwahahaha nice game...tinakot niyo kami ha...tsk baka talo na kami next game

Hindi naman! defending champions? MVP, ROY, Black Magic? Lakas non! Kakatakot! ;D

glock23
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Glock, at this juncture friggin' Peewee Herman would own our MVP. Truly his petulance and immaturity and whining are simple horrible, no focus, no determination at all, nothing but a sense of entitlement.

As for our ROY though, the numbers do not tell the whole story. When he played pointguard we finally got it done. And this is a guy you and the rest of the UAAP will be seeing (hopefully) for another three years.

First of all Congrats, Joe! Yes, ryan might have been effective as point in the latter part of the game but iMO he was outplayed by Webb for most parts of the game.

By the way, i called the 500k bet of plus 11.5 he he! Sayang walang takers hahaha! Inuman ulit soon?

Bruticus
08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
It was a well fought game. La Salle had a chance but unfortunately the breaks went the other way. Anyway bawi na lang sa 2nd encounter sa August 16 (daw?)

aarreza
08-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Not sure if this is already confirmed, but here is the schedule for the 2nd round. Look like isang linggo lang ang pahinga bakbakan na naman.

====================

UAAP Season 72 Men's Basketball Tournament 2nd Round Schedule as of August 10, 2009

Thursday, August 13, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM DLSU vs. AdU
4PM ADMU vs. UE

Saturday, August 15, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM NU vs. UP
4PM UST vs. FEU

Sunday, August 16, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
12PM AdU vs. UE
430PM ADMU vs.DLSU

Thursday, August 20, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM UP vs. UST
4PM NU vs. FEU

Saturday, August 22, 2009
San Juan Arena
2PM AdU vs. NU
4PM UP vs. DLSU

Sunday, August 23, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM UST vs. ADMU
4PM FEU vs. UE

Thursday, August 27, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM AdU vs. FEU
4PM NU vs. ADMU

Saturday, August 29, 2009
San Juan Arena
2PM UP vs. FEU
4PM UE vs. DLSU

Sunday, August 30, 2009
San Juan Arena
2PM UST vs. NU
4PM ADMU vs. AdU

Thursday, September 3, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM UE vs. UP
4PM DLSU vs. UST

Saturday, September 5, 2009
San Juan Arena
2PM NU vs. UE
4PM FEU vs. DLSU

Sunday, September 6, 2009
San Juan Arena
2PM AdU vs. UST
4PM UP vs. ADMU

Thursday, September 10, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM NU vs. DLSU
4PM UE vs. UST

Saturday, September 12, 2009
Araneta Coliseum
2PM AdU vs. UP
4PM FEU vs. ADMU

Sunday, September 13, 2009
Araneta Coliseum Cheering Competition

Thursday, September 17, 2009
Araneta Coliseum Playoffs

Sunday, September 20, 2009
Araneta Coliseum Final Four

Thursday, September 24, 2009
Araneta Coliseum Final Four if necessary

Sunday, September 27, 2009 Finals
Araneta Coliseum

Thursday, October, 1, 2009 Finals
Araneta Coliseum

Sunday, October, 4, 2009 Finals
Araneta Coliseum

Teams on the left will wear light uniform.
Teams on the right will wear dark uniform.

Sam Miguel
08-11-2009, 07:54 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Lasalle09Webb.jpg

GHRanger
08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Sam, Great Pic. Thanks.

Posterized
08-14-2009, 08:16 AM

Confusing nga ang Ateneo at Adamson no? Sobrang deja vu na sa Linggo. ;D

shyboy
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM

Hindi naman confusing ah. Adamson, tapos Ateneo kahapon kasi tambak kami, then Adamson ulit sa Sunday. ;D

Posterized
08-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Hindi naman confusing ah. Adamson, tapos Ateneo kahapon kasi tambak kami, then Adamson ulit sa Sunday. ;D

Good game!

shyboy
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
^ Good game, Adamson! ;D

Seriously, all your players brought their A-game today. They were all monsters, from the pint-sized guards to the behemoths down low. Even Black outsmarted Franz today, IMO. Good job!

Bawi kami next year.

Posterized
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Haha tantsa ko nga kami naman ang durog next year. ;D

marmand
08-17-2009, 01:00 AM

Never underestimate the power of Black. ;D

shyboy
08-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Never underestimate the power of Black. ;D

Ops ops, OT na. Baka dumami kayo dito. :D

aarreza
08-17-2009, 09:15 AM
It was really a forgetable game yesterday. From the start, you could see that I will be a long day for the team. Anyway, just hope that the team uses this as motivation to get themselves a place in the Final 4.

Also, I just wish that the coaching staff would starting giving more playing time to the likes Marata and Mendoza and even to Manguera and Banal. All of these guys are talented but I just can't see them developing and gaining more experience and confidence if they are just spending most of their time on the bench. Iba pa rin ang game sa practice. Just a thought.

izon
08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Malakas talaga ang Ateneo ngayon.

glock23
08-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Pana panahon lang yan! Yes, they have been very strong the past couple of years while we were stymied during the suspension. lamang ng isang taon sa recruitment but we're slowly getting back on track.

Good game Ateneo! Congrats!

jembengzon
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Pana panahon lang yan! Yes, they have been very strong the past couple of years while we were stymied during the suspension. lamang ng isang taon sa recruitment but we're slowly getting back on track.

hey glock,

you guys will be in good shape for the final four. you will make it, and as i said, i wouldn't bet against franz during this stretch drive for final four. that's why he's been a successful college coach for the past decade.

more than anything, dlsu misses the leadership factor jv and rico provided last year, but your team will be scary the next few seasons. unfortunately, experience isn't something you teach, it's something you learn, which is what they're doing now. we had our own learning curve a couple of seasons ago when you totally dominated us as well.

good luck in your coming games :)

glock23
08-17-2009, 09:35 PM

hey glock,

you guys will be in good shape for the final four. you will make it, and as i said, i wouldn't bet against franz during this stretch drive for final four. that's why he's been a successful college coach for the past decade.

more than anything, dlsu misses the leadership factor jv and rico provided last year, but your team will be scary the next few seasons. unfortunately, experience isn't something you teach, it's something you learn, which is what they're doing now. we had our own learning curve a couple of seasons ago when you totally dominated us as well.

Thanks Jem! Yes we do miss the leadership of Casio and Maierhoffer but we would have been ok had LA Revilla played this year as he is a true point guard who can pass well and create plays....sayang!

One game at a time and hopefully we get to the final four :)

marmand
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
^ True. LA would have been your stabilizer. He can orchestrate the plays better then Tolentino and sad to say Atkins. Never count La Salle out because of the mere tradition. The system of La Salle would not just allow it to fail. The system meaning its coaching staff ,philosophy and grit.

oca
08-18-2009, 06:33 AM
^ True. LA would have been your stabilizer. He can orchestrate the plays better then Tolentino and sad to say Atkins. Never count La Salle out because of the mere tradition. The system of La Salle would not just allow it to fail. The system meaning its coaching staff ,philosophy and grit.

The system itself requires a leader on court. The system itself requires that the senior players provide stability and composure and be an example to the underclassmen.

Unfortunately, Mangahas, Malabes and Barua are not up to that task. Two games into the second round, the 3 have not lived up to expectations.

System, system, system. Competent players are needed to make the system run and run efficiently.

jet127
08-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Where is LA Revilla? ???

oca
08-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Where is LA Revilla? ???

Read back.... to page 1.

theunderdog
08-18-2009, 08:40 AM

The system itself requires a leader on court. The system itself requires that the senior players provide stability and composure and be an example to the underclassmen.

Unfortunately, Mangahas, Malabes and Barua are not up to that task. Two games into the second round, the 3 have not lived up to expectations.

System, system, system. Competent players are needed to make the system run and run efficiently.

di pa handa yung tatlo. imagine if chris tiu suddenly left before our championship run last year, would rabeh improve that much? i do not think so. sa palagay ko we all have the feeling that our players are going to use all of their five years. barua, mangahas, and malabes all thought they'd have rico to rely on. nagkagulatan nung biglang wala na pala siya and sad to say, di pa nakakabawi yung vets niyo mula dun sa pagkagulat.

they play like their waiting for a casio or a rico to bail them out everytime. sana naman next year they play like true vets na.

izon
08-18-2009, 08:49 AM

hey glock,

Final 4? Nah ! I think not this time.

ballzebub
08-18-2009, 09:56 AM

hey glock,

Final 4? Nah ! I think not this time.

How unrealistic is an F4 appearance by La Salle? And i don't mean by the way the Archers are playing recently, I mean how many L's must UE, UST, etc get against the W's of La Salle. Like if La Salle sweeps its remaining games, is that going to be enough or do the other aspirants need to post 2 or more L's.

theunderdog
08-18-2009, 10:25 AM
UE - 5-4 to face FEU, UST, DLSU
UST - 4-4 to face ADMU, DLSU, UE
DLSU - 4-5 to face FEU, UE, UST

so if you win all your remaining games, that will give you a 9-5 card.

if UST or UE loses one more game other than the game against dlsu (which is automatic because they have yet to face each other), the final 4 slot is yours.

simply put, you cannot drop any game except the one against FEU. and you have to hope that FEU and ADMU continue winning.

ballzebub
08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Bigat pala ;D. Pero since libre managinip, if La Salle does make it to #4, then it will be a different La Salle team that will meet Ateneo (at #1) in the F4 semis. Different because there is no way on earth that the same Archers that played last Sunday will beat FEU, even UE and UST. Straight wins pa?!

theunderdog
08-18-2009, 05:02 PM
medyo mabigat nga pero kaya naman. kung matatalo yung UST sa ateneo at UE sa FEU, then pwede na kayong matalo sa FEU. yung crucial talaga para sa inyo yung games versus UE and UST.

mula 2001 naman nagkikita tayo sa playoffs. sana di masira this year.

shyboy
08-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Those 3 crucial games are stacked in between the UP and NU assignments. We need to win first against the Maroons para may 1-game winning streak before that crucial stretch. :D

tinmouse
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
the loss to adamson really made a dent on dlsu's final four chances. ue is one up in a way since they got the W against adamson last sunday.

it will seem at this point that the 4th slot is a toss up between ust and dlsu

izon
08-22-2009, 08:54 PM
the loss to adamson really made a dent on dlsu's final four chances. ue is one up in a way since they got the W against adamson last sunday.

it will seem at this point that the 4th slot is a toss up between ust and dlsu

We lost to UP today. Might as well kiss our f4 goodbye. Looking forward to season 73.

Mateen Cleaves
08-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Too early for that. It's not all in your control anymore, but there's still a fair chance to get to the Final 4.

You're only 1.5 games behind UE and UST right now. Chances are, at least one of them (likely both) will lose today. You're still going to play both of these schools. Plus, they still have to play each other on Sept. 10. Even if you lose to FEU, you're still in good position if you can win out. :)

jembengzon
08-23-2009, 09:49 AM
it's not over until the final game of the season. don't count your team out yet. and as mateen has posted earlier, there are many games still to be played between the squads your competing with, so just play hard until the end :)

izon
08-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Too early for that. It's not all in your control anymore, but there's still a fair chance to get to the Final 4.

You're only 1.5 games behind UE and UST right now. Chances are, at least one of them (likely both) will lose today. You're still going to play both of these schools. Plus, they still have to play each other on Sept. 10. Even if you lose to FEU, you're still in good position if you can win out. :)

Thank you for your comment on our team, however, I do not count on it, as seen by the way our veterans play. By the way, FEU lost to UE in yesterday's game.

easter
08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
UST is still within the Archer's sights so the season is still far from over.

shyboy
08-24-2009, 09:21 AM
My white flag's gonna wait until after the UST game. If we win our next two games against the Warriors and the Tigers, then we have a shot.

oca
08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
My white flag's gonna wait until after the UST game. If we win our next two games against the Warriors and the Tigers, then we have a shot.

It should not have been readied to begin with.

Mamaos kayong sumisigaw from the bleachers, pumutok na ugat ninyo cheering up to your 14th game regardless of the team standings.

glock23
08-24-2009, 03:46 PM

It should not have been readied to begin with.

Mamaos kayong sumisigaw from the bleachers, pumutok na ugat ninyo cheering up to your 14th game regardless of the team standings.

Mismo! suko agad di pa tapos ang season! Nasanay kasi sa pagkakapanalo ng madalas under Pumaren eh.

Be proud and cheer like there's no tomorrow!!! ANIMO LASALLE!!!

Joescoundrel
08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Glock, perhaps it is time to stop having Bader Malabes advancing the ball, calling plays and matching up against smaller and much quicker pointguards on the opposing teams. Jesus Christ, the guy defends by grabbing and then wonders why the BRASCU people keep whistling him, and then with guys three inches shorter on him, he can't even find a way to score against them in the halfcourt.

If it was just up to me I would start both PJ Barua and James Mangahas so those two get warmed up early. Let them find the range early on and feel the game. Let them make their mistakes, but give them the minutes. If they play less than 22 minutes each in a given game I can guarantee they will not have much of an impact. Let them shoot, drive, miss and commit turnovers if necessary, but let them play through it. These two guys need to know that as the veterans, they are trusted enough to try and carry this team.

One other thing, give Yutien Andrada more minutes because he is actually your best shot-blocker, and he alters shots he does not get to. That is a valuable defensive asset that opposing teams would be hard-pressed to counter.

Inom tayo ulit minsan.

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

pio_valenz
08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
glock, I think a lot of the La Salle faithful lost hope after losing to us. Based on what I've been seeing online, the general feeling is "Wow, if we lost to a team like UP, then the season's over. We got no chance beating the other teams."

Only one game separates DLSU and UST, wth four games left. Madami pang pwedeng mangyari.

thadeus
08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
e kung mga taga-UP nga e, umaasa pa sa himala ;D, kayo pa na masmaraming panalo ang nawawalan ng pag-asa.

oca
08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
An LA Revilla on the floor would have accounted for at least 2 wins for the Archers as of last weekend. He can provide stability at end game. But more importantly boost the confidence of some players on a game long basis. One or two good passes resulting to a good play would go a long way in ridding one of tentativeness and hesitation at the offensive end. Then, DLSU wouldn't be struggling to source for points.

The case now is the ball doesn't get at the right spot at the right time to the right person.

Of course there are others contributory factors, which all seem obvious and have been pointed out repeatedly. But how about the absence of LA Revilla?

bigfreeze_bibby
08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
An LA Revilla on the floor would have accounted for at least 2 wins for the Archers as of last weekend. He can provide stability at end game. But more importantly boost the confidence of some players on a game long basis. One or two good passes resulting to a good play would go a long way in ridding one of tentativeness and hesitation at the offensive end. Then, DLSU wouldn't be struggling to source for points.

The case now is the ball doesn't get at the right spot at the right time to the right person.

Of course there are others contributory factors, which all seem obvious and have been pointed out repeatedly. But how about the absence of LA Revilla?

Boss oca actually two factors yan e, one is what you have mentioned about LA while the other one is about Rico. Malaking bagay din if Rico was there to provide leadership qualities to the boys and might have given a thing or two to Arvie, Jovet, Kish, and Yutien about playing inside the paint.

Glock, that's the problem with some of the La Salle faithful. Nakalimutan ata na tao lang din ang team natin at hindi naman tayo invincible not so lose games with the type of competition that we have right now in the UAAP. Kung tutuusin, lahat ng teams right now in the UAAP e competitive na. Tapos na ang panahon wherein you can just go inside the coliseum where we'll just sit back and relax and watch our team romp our opponents.

The best thing to do right now is to continuously support our team no matter what happens in our remaining games. Kung ano ipagkaloob ng nasa Taas, then tanggapin natin ng maluwag sa ating mga puso.

Malaking bagay din yung wala tayong recruit for 2006 due to our suspension year. I just feel na nawalan tayo ng pangdugtong one way or another. We could have picked a player who might become our go-to guy this season sana on the assumption that they developed.

Our season is still alive for a week I guess and let's just hope that we sweep our remaining games to give ourselves a shot at the final four. UE definitely will be a tough, tough cookie to crack pero tingin ko kaya naman if we'll be more aggressive against them. UE is also a good starter kaya it's important to have a good start as well para ma-control sila kahit papaano to keep the game close.

During last Saturday, hindi lang talaga naging maganda depensa but I saw some improvements on offense. Instead of taking ill-advised jumpers, our guards had the urgency to take it strong inside for a layup or drop pass. Except siguro for James who still kept on trying to convert his fadeaway jumper (who got blocked by Mark Lopez at one instance). Peejay played well and I do hope he does continue doing that until the end of our season. Bader I guess also played well kaya lang na-foul out and Hyram was injured as well when he replaced Bader at the PG spot.

atenean_blooded
08-25-2009, 12:08 AM
bigfreeze_bibby, please allow me to reply to your post.

I agree that Revilla could have stabilized your team a lot. And Maierhoffer too, especially because of Maierhoffer's presence in the paint.

As for your problems with your own faithful, really, maybe it's a function of your being spoiled by Franz Pumaren. First, a four-peat. And then a couple of championships. That raises expectations. I guess some of your faithful are stuck there.

Until La Salle hits 7 or even 8 losses, I am not counting them out of the Final Four yet.

yungha
08-25-2009, 12:27 AM
what a difference one [missed] shot makes. i'm talking about arvie bringas' last .8 second heave vs ateneo in the 1st round. line was good but a little long, would have counted. imagine what that miracle win would have done for your morale, not to mention tying us at 2nd place at 5-2. alas, the shot missed, you lost in overtime, you fell to 4-3 and haven't found your bearings since.

i'll be honest, though, i want you guys eliminated because even now with the so-called disparity between our teams, come playoff time all bets are off and i still wouldn't want to face you guys in the final four.

izon
08-25-2009, 07:46 AM
bigfreeze_bibby, please allow me to reply to your post.

I agree that Revilla could have stabilized your team a lot. And Maierhoffer too, especially because of Maierhoffer's presence in the paint.

As for your problems with your own faithful, really, maybe it's a function of your being spoiled by Franz Pumaren. First, a four-peat. And then a couple of championships. That raises expectations. I guess some of your faithful are stuck there.

Until La Salle hits 7 or even 8 losses, I am not counting them out of the Final Four yet.

We'll see. However, as I watched our veterans play, It seems that they reached the apex of their playing ability. The loss of Maierhoffer (isn't your side secretly happy ?) and Revilla, the guys who could provide us with stability and leadership, was a big blow to the team. The choice of Hyram Bagatsing as team captain, a soph, instead of a veteran tells a lot. Mind you even with Maierhoffer and Revilla with the team, at best we could figure was the Final 4. Your team and FEU are the teams to beat and my bet is Ateneo will retain its crown this UAAP season. That does not make me less a La Sallian because of my observation as I will still back up my team win or lose. Just trying to be objective based on what I see. However, I will be more than happy if you guys prove me wrong if La Salle enters the Final 4. If La Salle wins the championship this season 72 ? I'd be NIRVANA !!!! He he he

xxiocebu
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Boss oca actually two factors yan e, one is what you have mentioned about LA while the other one is about Rico. Malaking bagay din if Rico was there to provide leadership qualities to the boys and might have given a thing or two to Arvie, Jovet, Kish, and Yutien about playing inside the paint.

Glock, that's the problem with some of the La Salle faithful. Nakalimutan ata na tao lang din ang team natin at hindi naman tayo invincible not so lose games with the type of competition that we have right now in the UAAP. Kung tutuusin, lahat ng teams right now in the UAAP e competitive na. Tapos na ang panahon wherein you can just go inside the coliseum where we'll just sit back and relax and watch our team romp our opponents.

The best thing to do right now is to continuously support our team no matter what happens in our remaining games. Kung ano ipagkaloob ng nasa Taas, then tanggapin natin ng maluwag sa ating mga puso.

Malaking bagay din yung wala tayong recruit for 2006 due to our suspension year. I just feel na nawalan tayo ng pangdugtong one way or another. We could have picked a player who might become our go-to guy this season sana on the assumption that they developed.

Our season is still alive for a week I guess and let's just hope that we sweep our remaining games to give ourselves a shot at the final four. UE definitely will be a tough, tough cookie to crack pero tingin ko kaya naman if we'll be more aggressive against them. UE is also a good starter kaya it's important to have a good start as well para ma-control sila kahit papaano to keep the game close.

During last Saturday, hindi lang talaga naging maganda depensa but I saw some improvements on offense. Instead of taking ill-advised jumpers, our guards had the urgency to take it strong inside for a layup or drop pass. Except siguro for James who still kept on trying to convert his fadeaway jumper (who got blocked by Mark Lopez at one instance). Peejay played well and I do hope he does continue doing that until the end of our season. Bader I guess also played well kaya lang na-foul out and Hyram was injured as well when he replaced Bader at the PG spot.

True fan.

Not someone who blames players playing bad or refs.

I wish you the best for the rest of this season.

I'm sure next year DLSU will do better and the "other" fans will be back to supporting the team instead of trying to take them down.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Ayaw ko na umabot sa ganyan sana pare hehe. We really have to start winning games this second round to make a run at least in the 4th spot sa final four.

jembengzon
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
OT: ang nakakatuwa at nakakatawa dito ay ang mga taga UP, San Beda at Ateneo pa ay ang nagdedefensa pa sa final four chances ng DLSU! bwahaha !!! :D

in the end, we all appreciate good basketball here in gameface :)

MonL
08-25-2009, 11:11 AM
OT: ang nakakatuwa at nakakatawa dito ay ang mga taga UP, San Beda at Ateneo pa ay ang nagdedefensa pa sa final four chances ng DLSU! bwahaha !!! :D

Jem,

That's because we expect nothing less. No matter where the games are played.

nel
08-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I guess the lack of response from the green not-so-faithful reflects the general sentiment of the majority of those who only watch the games against Ateneo. As some have commented, those are the games "to be seen at". In their estimation, a game against UP is low on their list of priorities.

It's a competitive field this year, very little really separates the majority of the teams. Adamson lost many of its games by a whisker or two, and UP almost overcame a 31 point deficit against UST in their last game.

Last Sunday, while our side was probably 40-50% full, it was nowhere near as our crowd in Araneta the other weekend. Someone commented in one of our sites that the rats have jumped ship, but if we make the playoffs, watch them jump back on the bandwagon.

It is a tad embarrassing that many of the encouraging comments are coming from diehards of other schools, not from our side. Thanks, guys, for the kind words! It's nice to see that you truly appreciate and understand the game. The empathy you show makes the competition with your schools that much more meaningful.

I guess that the team and the supporters need to go through tough times like this to really appreciate what it means to be competitive, what it takes to get to the top. And how much harder it is to stay there.

xxiocebu
08-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I guess that the team and the supporters need to go through tough times like this to really appreciate what it means to be competitive, what it takes to get to the top. And how much harder it is to stay there.

Tell me about it. I entered college at Loyola Heights during the 2nd year of the Jun Reyes led Back to back team. I thought winning was so easy.

After 4.5 years of college and another 2.5 years spent at the ADMU College of Law I had hardly anything to celebrate, but I would be at the games against FEU, UST, UP etc. DLSU was just too $$ ticketwise to watch a massacre of your team by your arch-rivals.

bchoter
08-25-2009, 11:15 PM

OT din:
Pero ang tiga UST hindi sang ayon sa mga tige UP, San Beda at Ateno. No Señor.

john_paul_manahan
08-26-2009, 03:19 AM
nel,

i never counted them out, because i know this round is typically where la salle just pulls out a run or sorts. it's really surreal seeing them in this state. perhaps the green have been spoiled by that constant flow of success. but you never know.

first things, first. they need to win on sat against ue.

shyboy
08-26-2009, 07:05 AM
There aren't too many DLSU supporters here in Gameface to begin with, thus the lack of response. Everybody's there at Archerpride. Sobra naman kayo mag-insinuate. :)

LION
08-26-2009, 08:53 AM

OT din:
Pero ang tiga UST hindi sang ayon sa mga tige UP, San Beda at Ateno. No Señor.

Bwahahahaha! Nice one pare.

xxiocebu
08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
There aren't too many DLSU supporters here in Gameface to begin with, thus the lack of response. Everybody's there at Archerpride. Sobra naman kayo mag-insinuate. :)

Not talking about on this forum itself but personal experience.

Look at game attendance when it is not against ADMU. Last year the support was there, this year did you see the game against UP and Adamson?

Look at the past few columns of Mr Atayde. Instead of encouraging the players to help them get out of their slumps, he takes potshots at Malabes. You think by attacking Malabes he contributes to the team? Any responsible writer would be able to subtly express that since Malabes is not playing well, maybe others should be given a chance without bringing your own player down? You think Mr. Atayde is being a true fan? It is natural to lose a little enthusiasm when the team is not doing to well but tearing down shows what his true colors are, IMHO it is probably not really green, real green anyway.

There is usually a DLSU and ADMU get together here in Cebu during the basketball games for the fun and the fellowship. DLSU-Cebu did not respond to the feelers sent by ADMU-Cebu this year because "mahina sila this year". There are still a few solid DLSU fans here in Cebu who know what the team is going thru and still get together to watch their games against NU/UP/Adamson over merienda or an early happy hour. Those are the guys I respect as fans.

KingRedLion
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM

Tell me about it. I entered college at Loyola Heights during the 2nd year of the Jun Reyes led Back to back team. I thought winning was so easy.

After 4.5 years of college and another 2.5 years spent at the ADMU College of Law I had hardly anything to celebrate, but I would be at the games against FEU, UST, UP etc. DLSU was just too $$ ticketwise to watch a massacre of your team by your arch-rivals.

Just imagine what it was like and how we felt during the very dark ages of San Beda Basketball --- more for the Red Lions, that is. 28 years without a crown from Kings to paupers of the league. That's part of the motivation and drive behind how much we support, appreciate and value what we have right now that we strive to sustain and even try to outdo, and impart to the younger generation of Bedans, esp now na co-ed na and kahit sobrang clouded and commercialized na ang mentality when it comes to school spirit nowadays.

Sorry kung OT. Going back, most of the newer fans of La Salle should try to discover how much of a joy it would be to be there to see and watch your team fight hard and lose rather than not be there at all and know they won. Cycle lang rin naman ang lahat. Minsan nasa ibabaw, minsan nasa ilalim. Winning cures everything.

Goodluck La Salle. Goodluck to us all.

shyboy
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Not talking about on this forum itself but personal experience.

Look at game attendance when it is not against ADMU. Last year the support was there, this year did you see the game against UP and Adamson?

Look at the past few columns of Mr Atayde. Instead of encouraging the players to help them get out of their slumps, he takes potshots at Malabes. You think by attacking Malabes he contributes to the team? Any responsible writer would be able to subtly express that since Malabes is not playing well, maybe others should be given a chance without bringing your own player down? You think Mr. Atayde is being a true fan? It is natural to lose a little enthusiasm when the team is not doing to well but tearing down shows what his true colors are, IMHO it is probably not really green, real green anyway.

There is usually a DLSU and ADMU get together here in Cebu during the basketball games for the fun and the fellowship. DLSU-Cebu did not respond to the feelers sent by ADMU-Cebu this year because "mahina sila this year". There are still a few solid DLSU fans here in Cebu who know what the team is going thru and still get together to watch their games against NU/UP/Adamson over merienda or an early happy hour. Those are the guys I respect as fans.

I think that's the case with every school. On one side are the casual fans and on the other you'll find the rabid supporters. Kahit saan naman if things don't go as expected, the casual fans diminish in number and you'll just be left with the real hardcore fans.

It's easy for you guys to say to be optimistic as you're not in the same boat. But for supporters like I am, it's now a mental battle between being optimistic vs. being realistic. Those losses to Adamson and UP were really unexpected and disappointing. Yes, the fight ain't over but many have learned to manage their expectations. It doesn't mean the support won't be there for the remaining games. If we make it to the F4, we'd be the happiest bunch! If we don't, then there's next year to look forward to.

Apocrypha
08-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Every team has fair-weather fans. I think Ateneo's has tripled this season. If DLSU is losing it's fair-weather fans this season, don't worry about it. You never needed them anyway.

While it's true that all sports programs go through droughts and "dark ages", I have a very solid feeling that the one DLSU is ostensibly going through will not last as long as Ateneo's or San Beda's, heck not even as long as UST's.

One more thing, I can't speak for all Ateneo fans, but I was never happy to learn that Rico and LA would miss this season, whether secretly or otherwise.

salsa caballero
08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
^ That's the truth. DLSU set the bar in terms of recruitment and putting a viable basketball program in place. The other schools just had to keep pace if they wanted to enjoy any measure of success. Thus put, you could say that DLSU is in fact a victim of its own success.

It's not exactly a bad thing for true basketball fans to see the UAAP bar being continuously set higher year after year...

pio_valenz
08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
I think that's the case with every school. On one side are the casual fans and on the other you'll find the rabid supporters. Kahit saan naman if things don't go as expected, the casual fans diminish in number and you'll just be left with the real hardcore fans.

It's easy for you guys to say to be optimistic as you're not in the same boat. But for supporters like I am, it's now a mental battle between being optimistic vs. being realistic. Those losses to Adamson and UP were really unexpected and disappointing.

Therein lies the problem, IMHO. Archer fans tend to downplay the capabilities of Adamson and UP, so losses to these two teams were hard to swallow. But if you remember, it took La Salle two overtimes to beat Adamson in the first round; honestly Adamson just threw the game away. UP, meanwhile, beat Ateneo, and should have beaten third-placer UE as well, a team that thrashed DLSU on opening day. So it's not like games against these teams were sure wins. Just saying.

glock23
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Glock, perhaps it is time to stop having Bader Malabes advancing the ball, calling plays and matching up against smaller and much quicker pointguards on the opposing teams. Jesus Christ, the guy defends by grabbing and then wonders why the BRASCU people keep whistling him, and then with guys three inches shorter on him, he can't even find a way to score against them in the halfcourt.

If it was just up to me I would start both PJ Barua and James Mangahas so those two get warmed up early. Let them find the range early on and feel the game. Let them make their mistakes, but give them the minutes. If they play less than 22 minutes each in a given game I can guarantee they will not have much of an impact. Let them shoot, drive, miss and commit turnovers if necessary, but let them play through it. These two guys need to know that as the veterans, they are trusted enough to try and carry this team.

One other thing, give Yutien Andrada more minutes because he is actually your best shot-blocker, and he alters shots he does not get to. That is a valuable defensive asset that opposing teams would be hard-pressed to counter.

Inom tayo ulit minsan.

Joe, interesting points as those are the opposite of what the arm chair coaches from the green side are saying! Sila naman dapat daw wag nang ilaro sila james at Pj! hahaha!

I agree that Bader should not be used at point, Joel and Simon can definitely do a better job.

Re Inuman, Game! :)

glock23
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Yan ang dapat!! Until the season is officially over for us we cant stop supporting OUR team!

glock23
08-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Jem, nagulat nga ako when i went online! hahaha! Its just too painful for many DLSU die-hards to accept that the team might not make the F4. Ako naman eh i'll cheer and support the team no matter what!

GHRanger
08-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Nakakatuwa talaga -- thanks for the good words guys.

I agree, medyo masakit talaga matalo 4 straight games, pero i guess mas masakit yung 4 straight years under UST + 1 with FEU when i was in college! :D I would be more on the realistic side and I'd tempered my expectations for this year -- for all the hype of the rookies this year, I can only anticipate them getting better and DLSU being formidable in 2-3 years time. Peaks and Valleys as they say.

But that doesn't mean i can't be optimistic -- libre naman mangarap diba? hahahaha... DLSU still has that chance of getting in the Final 4 and when it does, it's a whole different ballgame for us. Pero that's looking ahead too much -- 1st up is UE. As for the DLSU faithful, expect us to be there to cheer or in spirit or under the influence of spirits!

UE is a strong team and like DLSU, it has to rack up the wins to get into the final 4. That would be easier though for them because of their better tally. In many games, opponents would jump the gun on DLSU racking up 10+ point leads. For DLSU to win this game DLSU must play good defense and not allow teams (if ever) to lead them by so much. James and Peejay will have to be consistent as well. Bader may be a good asset in defense but as an orchestrator, he fails miserably. I'd rather have Sam, Simon (back from injury) or Hyram play the point.

Tama nga sabi ng iba -- from this point on -- the game is mental for us. Good luck to all the teams.

xxiocebu
08-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I did mention the fair weather fans, but my point was more of the so-called true fans like Mr. Atayde. He actually brings down the current crop of players by insulting, well at least one of them.

Don't you think Bader is trying his best? Just give support whether good or bad. Maybe better support when the success is there, but again a true fan would never tear down a player especially in the arenas he has access to.

shyboy
08-26-2009, 08:36 PM

It's easy for you guys to say to be optimistic as you're not in the same boat. But for supporters like I am, it's now a mental battle between being optimistic vs. being realistic. Those losses to Adamson and UP were really unexpected and disappointing.
Therein lies the problem, IMHO. Archer fans tend to downplay the capabilities of Adamson and UP, so losses to these two teams were hard to swallow. But if you remember, it took La Salle two overtimes to beat Adamson in the first round; honestly Adamson just threw the game away. UP, meanwhile, beat Ateneo, and should have beaten third-placer UE as well, a team that thrashed DLSU on opening day. So it's not like games against these teams were sure wins. Just saying.

After the win against UP and that nail-baiter against AdU during the first round elims, the Archers went on to win against NU, then UST in 2OT, and then battled Ateneo into overtime before closing out the elims with a loss to the Blue Eagles. The Archers were seemingly improving each game day during that stretch. Thus, with due respect to the Falcons and Maroons, I believe there was enough basis for Archer fans to be optimistic against AdU and UP in this 2nd round. At least that's how it looked from our end. Not necessarily routs, but they were very much winnable...supposedly. :(

Anyways, that's now water under the bridge. In front of us are the biggest battles for DLSU to keep its Final Four streak alive. There's still enough fight in us. As they say, it ain't over til the fat wife sings. :D

Joescoundrel
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_5734.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_5745.jpg

Lasalle shows its defensive strength with these two blocks on attacking UP players.

Images courtesy of Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
08-26-2009, 10:15 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_5777.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Hoops/IMG_5778.jpg

Images courtesy of Joe Buduan

bigfreeze_bibby
08-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Nice shots Joe! Keep it coming. Thanks a lot!

bigfreeze_bibby
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Inom tayo ulit minsan.

Sama naman ako dyan hehehe.

Kid Cubao
08-27-2009, 04:53 AM
^^ oist, ako rin!

gfy
08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
UE still has a chance for the twice-to-beat advantage after beating FEU a few days ago. So expect them not to take this game for granted. You now see the value of a quick and speedy and relatively tall Yeo, Arana or a Cortez to make your nightmare press effective, even if other teams now have somewhat learned how to break it.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
UE still has a chance for the twice-to-beat advantage after beating FEU a few days ago. So expect them not to take this game for granted. You now see the value of a quick and speedy and relatively tall Yeo, Arana or a Cortez to make your nightmare press effective, even if other teams now have somewhat learned how to break it.

Dito papasok yung sinabi kong nawalan ng pandugtong due to our suspension year back in 2006. We might have gotten players who will be fit enough and to fill the void na inalisan ni Yeo during that time and have they developed from '06 till now, minor adjustments lang ang gagawin sa press formations. I'll agree with all of you na ang pressure defense also depends on the type of materials that you have kaya kahit maganda ang system kung hindi fit yung materials then mahihirapan talaga mag-execute.

I just do hope that our current crop of guys have the willingness to adjust to whatever weakness that they have right now defensively especially in rotating to their guys once we go man-to-man. Most of the time, dun kami naiiwan especially in rotating back to shooters pag naka-saksak na yung offensive player and UE is one of the most dangerous teams playing man-to-man because they provide good spacing for Paul Lee to create and strut his stuff for his other teammates.

glock23
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Inom tayo ulit minsan.

Sama naman ako dyan hehehe.

Bfb, game sama ka! sagot ng mga kaibigan natin sa loyola yan! :)

glock23
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
^^ oist, ako rin!

Kid, syempre naman! :)

mortalmar
08-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I've been browsing through the pics posted in this forum. How come when Malabes is part of the picture..... he's just, well.... gazing?

Outlander
08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=497461&publicationSubCategoryId=442

Even athletes benefit from 'lifeskills'
(The Philippine Star) Updated August 20, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - International schools are now a dime a dozen in Metro Manila. According to the Department of Education (DECS), there are nearly 450 schools bearing the name of “international school”. However, there are a few which advocates both academic excellence and values formation.

One of these schools, Reedley International School, has a unique program called “lifeskills” which teaches students effective time management, mediation skills and problem-solving. Based in Libis, Quezon City, Reedley focuses on a Singaporean-American education which emphasizes on proficiency in math and English.

A perfect example of a Reesian is young basketball player Japeth Aguilar. Aguilar, one of the members of the RP Basketball team, attributes his current success as a student and an amateur basketball player to the life skills he got as a student of Reedley.

The 6’10 Aguilar, who now plays for the Western Kentucky University in the US National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) got his secondary education at Reedley. Studying at Reedley is tough. You need to devote time doing all those assignments while going to the gym and practising for your games. Aguilar said that he learned how to manage his time, juggling between school and the hardcourt. Aguilar said that when he moved to Ateneo as a college student, it was easier for him to excel as a student and an athlete. Right now, Aguilar is one of the most promising basketball players in our country.

At the UAAP, 16-year-old point guard Joseph Tolentino and Philip Paredes also benefited from the lifeskills program of Reedley. Tolentino plays for the Dela Salle Green Archers, while Philip Paredes was plucked out of Cagayan de Oro to strengthen the RP Youth Team.

Paredes consistently performed well in his studies, while Tolentino credits his composure at the court with the lessons he got from Reedley’s life skills program.

Emil Ong says that these players were able to reach their personal goals because of their hard work, perseverance and patience — qualities which makes them top Reesians. Ong says Reedley emphasizes not just in providing world-class academic training but also in giving their students important skills to cope with life.

glock23
08-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Aguilar found it tough because he was enrolled in Reedley while playing for Mapua in the NCAA. How'd they do that? :-X

shyboy
08-28-2009, 07:55 PM
^ Actually enrolled si Aguilar both in Mapua and Reedley. Ganun ka-effective ang Reedley sa kanya. :D

bigfreeze_bibby
08-28-2009, 11:56 PM
glock and shy, hinay-hinay lang sa posts ah. Let's not get diverted from our focus which is on our game tomorrow versus UE. Baka maging sagutan thread na naman ito ng mga past issues instead of discussing the team's performances and affairs for season 72.

Thanks a lot.

glock23
08-30-2009, 12:06 AM
glock and shy, hinay-hinay lang sa posts ah. Let's not get diverted from our focus which is on our game tomorrow versus UE. Baka maging sagutan thread na naman ito ng mga past issues instead of discussing the team's performances and affairs for season 72.

Thanks a lot.

Sorry boss, couldnt help it :) quiet na ako, promise! :D

izon
08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
La Salle again lost to UE.

pepman
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
HEADLINES: DLSU team shaved hair again. Proof?

Go over Gab Banal's facebook. Period

Here we go again, paging 2007.

pepman
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Double post, sorry.

Kid Cubao
08-30-2009, 08:37 PM
pepman, did you get permission from gab banal to post that on online message boards? if not, then take that down or the mod will have to do it.

pepman
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
pepman, did you get permission from gab banal to post that on online message boards? if not, then take that down or the mod will have to do it.

Joke, delete ko na.

bchoter
08-30-2009, 11:08 PM
^^ oist, ako rin!
ehem ehem.

Glock23, pare, I know you'd understand if I don't wish you too well :).

Kung maicompress ko ang monthly review ko in 45 minutes baka... baka lang maka abot ako before the tip-off.

glock23
09-02-2009, 06:50 PM
^^ oist, ako rin!
ehem ehem.

Kung maicompress ko ang monthly review ko in 45 minutes baka... baka lang maka abot ako before the tip-off.

Manong, basketball lang yan! good luck to both teams tomorrow :) sana lang maging patas at walang masaktan sa laro. Enjoy lang.

bchoter
09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
^^ oist, ako rin!
ehem ehem.

Manong, basketball lang yan! good luck to both teams tomorrow :) sana lang maging patas at walang masaktan sa laro. Enjoy lang.
Glock, pare, I was only refering to the basketball part :)

Kumakaway ni si paren Joe :D

aarreza
09-03-2009, 06:32 PM
May pulso pa... we won versus UST 68-64... great game by the youngsters Tolentino, Marata and Andrada and great finish by Mangahas, who finished with 15 pts (all scored in the 2nd half, as he did not play the entire 1st half, with 13 coming in the 4th quarter).

Let's keep the faith!!!

sanlo
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Congrats to DLSU for winning the crucial game vs UST. DLSU played the first half the way everyone thinks the team is capable of playing. Then in the end they had the poise to win the game. Now you've got to do it all again vs FEU.

glock23
09-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Congrats to DLSU for winning the crucial game vs UST. DLSU played the first half the way everyone thinks the team is capable of playing. Then in the end they had the poise to win the game. Now you've got to do it all again vs FEU.

Feu will be tough but DLSU is most dangerous with their back against the wall. We'll see :) Still hoping to make the final 4.

john_paul_manahan
09-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Congrats on winning earlier. Good luck against FEU (a team that has a chance of sealing top spot in the elims)

sanlo
09-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Feu will be tough but DLSU is most dangerous with their back against the wall. We'll see :) Still hoping to make the final 4.

Lets see...if DLSU beats FEU and Ateneo beats UP that will more or less give us the no 1 seed. and if you make it to no 4, we play again. Everybody happy! So you really have to beat FEU.

glock23
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM

Lets see...if DLSU beats FEU and Ateneo beats UP that will more or less give us the no 1 seed. and if you make it to no 4, we play again. Everybody happy! So you really have to beat FEU.

Admu is a lock for the top spot, thats a given!

We not only have to beat FEU but NU as well and hope that UST loses at least one game. :)

Im sure many would want another DLSU ADMU match.

Dark Knight
09-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Admu is a lock for the top spot, thats a given!

Unless FEU win against La Salle and we beat Ateneo by 30 points. ;) :D. Coz im not counting UP will repeat over the Blue Eagles.

bangis
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Good game Archers. Sayang lang nung end game. You caught FEU not in their best mas ok sana kung nakuha niyo yung win.

Anyway, here's to not hoping to see you in a playoff.

GO USTE!

sanlo
09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes, good game archers! How many overtime games na this year? For the second straight game your team had a great start. But somehow, the opponent gets to catch up by the end of the half. Now everyone can see La Salle basketball for next year. Giving extended minutes to the sophs and rookies showed all that they can compete. I think Franz stuck to his veteran guns too long and the team paid the price.

Surely there will be a revamp since there are only 2 veterans leaving and 3 Phil youth team guys coming in. This does not ven include the zobel and greenhills guys. Palagay ko next year, wala na sina malabes and ferdinand. Maybe even atkins. But rest assured your future looks bright.

glock23
09-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Yes, good game archers! How many overtime games na this year? For the second straight game your team had a great start. But somehow, the opponent gets to catch up by the end of the half. Now everyone can see La Salle basketball for next year. Giving extended minutes to the sophs and rookies showed all that they can compete. I think Franz stuck to his veteran guns too long and the team paid the price.

Surely there will be a revamp since there are only 2 veterans leaving and 3 Phil youth team guys coming in. This does not ven include the zobel and greenhills guys. Palagay ko next year, wala na sina malabes and ferdinand. Maybe even atkins. But rest assured your future looks bright.

Thanks pare! Actually the last two games wala na sila bader and ferdinand! he he!

yes, the rooks and sophomores played really well but was on court for most parts of the game and probably took a toll on them at the end.

Not to take away anything from FEU as they simply showed veteran smarts and end game poise.

Indeed the future looks very bright! ;)

izon
09-06-2009, 09:25 AM
It is just a matter of time wherein this thread will be closed. He he he.

sanlo
09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
It is just a matter of time wherein this thread will be closed. He he he.

Then we will open another one! ;D

shyboy
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
The FEU win yesterday was to assure them of a top 2 spot. DLSU gets a tie for the 4th place as UST will lose its last 2 games and DLSU wins over NU. DLSU wins either via quotient or via a knockout game.

Nothing still beats a DLSU-ADMU Final Four pairing.

Eto lang pakiramdam ko ha. ;D

Bruticus
09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
DLSU still has a chance, given UST's loss to Adamson a while ago.

aarreza
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
We are still alive thanks to Adamson. The team just needs to beat NU this Thursday and hope and pray that UE continues to play that way its has in the 2nd round and then it will be DLSU vs. UST part 3 for the last spot in the Final 4.

Also, hope that the team do not look past NU as we all remember what happened to our friends from Katipunan a couple of years ago.

FIGHT TEAM FIGHT!!!

izon
09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
NU won against DLSU. Goodbye F4. Hangang dito na lang at salamat.

easter
09-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Very weird season for you guys. You can drag the final 4 contenders to overtime games and win all matches against UST but 3 losses in the 2nd round came from the bottom 3 in the standings.

sanlo
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Overhaul to next year for sure. Good luck!

Pizza Guy
09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
It was discussed earlier in Hardball, even if (and that's a really big IF) Franz makes it to Congress, he can still coach the lasal MBT. An example they gave was Coach Yeng, who happens to be a vice governor of Pampanga, and at the same time, a PBA coach. But then again, being in Congress is a lot different than holding a vice governor seat.

Franz can try, but I strongly believe he'd still be holding on to that coaching job for lasal... And he'll have a very tough time against Mike Defensor.

salsa caballero
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Overhaul is an understatement. But to Lasalle's eternal credit, at least their recruiting pipeline remains functional. The rest of the league would be silly if they think that a Norbert Torres-powered squad would be easy pickings. See you next season greenies.

jembengzon
09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
i am sure dlsu will be back in the final four next year. this year's performance is a blip for them, and most probably a necessary one for the improvement of their program. anyone predicting the continued demise of their basketball program will be in for a surprise, so i wouldn't bet on it.

good luck, dlsu. am sure you'll be back

bangis
09-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think any basketball fan in his/her right mind would ever count you guys out. I reckon that next season will be a big one for you, what with the entry of your recruits and the maturity of your present kids.

Thanks for salvaging a disappointing season for my Tigers. I would'nt want to face your greenies in another playoff.

GO USTE!

dieselbirdie
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I wonder if DLS MBT will listen to Tony Atayde's suggestion of letting go of 6-7 players to make way for team B players.

GHRanger
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I wonder if DLS MBT will listen to Tony Atayde's suggestion of letting go of 6-7 players to make way for team B players.

AFAIK, the practice after the season is to have all players transferred to team B while players with PBL commitments play with their respective teams. Then a few months before UAAP, each player will have to try out again for a slot in team A through the pre season leagues.

nel
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
To our friends from the other schools: thanks. Hope we could have made it a bit more competitive and entertaining. Hope we can provide you with a bit more challenge next season. Perhaps an overhaul is called for, and the coaches will also have to look at not just filling in the warm bodies but also look how they will address the leadership vacuum that plagued the team throughout the season.

I agree with GHRanger, nobody's assured of a slot on the team next year. The pre-season is always treated as a tryout for the players. Competition for the slots will come from Team B players as well as graduating high school players. And hopefully our players in sick bay (Marko and LA) are fully recovered and fit for next season.

To our friends from Ateneo, FEU, UE, and UST: good luck in the playoffs. Hope all your players stay healthy.

Outlander
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=504257&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Shock exit a learning experience - Pumaren
(The Philippine Star) Updated September 11, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Unceremoniously booted out from the Final Four for the first time in 15 years, La Salle vowed to redeem itself next year.

“We’ll bounce back stronger next year,” said La Salle coach Franz Pumaren as he emerged from the dugout nearly two hours after the Archers took an embarrassing 61-63 loss to an unheralded National University squad.

Pumaren blamed the loss to his wards’ inexperience and the failure of the veterans to step up at crunch time.

“Basically, if you try to look back during the pre-season, this is still a rebuilding process,” said Pumaren. “I guess the guys that supposed to be the leaders of this team failed to guide the younger ones.

“Of course, being a young team probably took its toll during the crucial stages of the game. But it’s a learning experience for the young guys and we’re looking forward next year’s UAAP again,” Pumaren said.

La Salle’s early exit was its first since the Final Four format was introduced during the 1993-94 season with the Archers winning six titles from 13 straight Final Four appearances.

The only time La Salle failed to see action in the Final Four was when it was suspended three seasons ago.

“Of course, everybody is feeling down because this is the first time that our season will end this early. But everybody is excited and looking forward next year’s UAAP,” said Pumaren.

While the rest of the Archers are returning next season, Pumaren remains undecided whether to stay as coach or run for a congressional seat in the third district of Quezon City.

“I still have to sit down with the school. So far I think I’m doing what I’m supposed to do not only to the school but also as a government official,” said Pumaren. “Nothing concrete yet but if you look at the latest survey in the district I look very promising.

“If there’s one incentive I have to look at we’re the host school next year and part of the rebuilding program for next year is to have a very competitive team and I want to give something back to La Salle being not only the host but in 2011 we’ll be celebrating our centennial year,” he said.

Pumaren believes things will look up for the Archers next year.

“I look at the potential of the team I see some promising recruits. I think we can bounce back stronger next year,” said Pumaren. “I told the players that it only comes with experience, you learn from mistakes.

“Hopefully, a season in the UAAP will make them better individuals and better players and one example is (Samuel) Marata, he’ll be a force to reckon with next year,” he said. – Joey Villar

glock23
09-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Overhaul is an understatement. But to Lasalle's eternal credit, at least their recruiting pipeline remains functional. The rest of the league would be silly if they think that a Norbert Torres-powered squad would be easy pickings. See you next season greenies.

Dude, Norbert will be eligible to play in S74.

glock23
09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
i am sure dlsu will be back in the final four next year. this year's performance is a blip for them, and most probably a necessary one for the improvement of their program. anyone predicting the continued demise of their basketball program will be in for a surprise, so i wouldn't bet on it.

good luck, dlsu. am sure you'll be back

Thanks Jem! Hard to explain what happened to us this year, Easter was correct in his description of our season...WEIRD! hahaha!

I was talking to two members of the 4-peat DLSU teams Mon jose and Francis Zamora the other day and they could not believe we only won one game in the second round! Dati daw, pagpasok palang nila takot na ang kalaban! yabang nila hahaha but i guess it's true.

That's the kind of team i miss! We'll be back :)

BLUE HORSE
09-13-2009, 01:15 AM
I agree with Jem that DLSU will be back. Maybe as early as next season and with vengeance. Did people forget what happened in season 70?

I saw the team this summer and had a chance to speak with a team official and voiced how impressed I was with the team. I commented that the team was huge compared to prior years. The team official smiled and said that is just the tip of the iceberg. I knew Torres and Paredes was in the fold but not the project from CSA and Van Opstal for the future. It was Greenarrows who wrote in AP.com that DLSU will contend for the final 4 even without Rico Maierhofer. So what happened?

The loss of LA Revilla was devastating because of the timing and his importance to the team. The team as a whole became ruderless. By default, Bagatsing was made a pg when he is more comfortable playing the 2. Atkins underachieved feeling the enormous pressure to deliver big time. Joel Tolentino is a rookie and his inexperience became apparent in the big games.

Experience and senior leadership! The veterans not only failed to lead but regressed in their play. The same DLSU official was prophetic with his fears about the team. The team is very young and may be prone to mistakes. Was there enough time for the team to gel as a unit? With the second round results, the answer is a resounding no.

The ingredients to a championship team is at hand. Materiales puertes are available in team B, Zobel and those that are for future delivery. ;)

The road to next years championship will not be a stroll in the park but more a walk in the mine field. Some final 4 teams will reload but the second division teams are itching to unleash their foreign imports.

oca
09-13-2009, 07:38 AM
IMO, an LA Revilla in the team would have given DLSU 2 wins in the middle of the elims and that would have made a big change in the mindset of the team going into the homestretch.

Also, a good "half-court set PG" like him would have easily made 2 or 3 good passes to the so called veterans and put this so called veterans in their comfort zones. As it was, that ball was hardly at the right spot with the right player and the so called veterans were forcing their shots or forcibly creating situations to make shots.

I never realized LA can be so crucial for this team.... nang mawala, saka mo makikita yung value.

glock23
09-13-2009, 04:32 PM
I never realized LA can be so crucial for this team.... nang mawala, saka mo makikita yung value.

I concur, Oca! DLSU's system relies on a good guard line-up and by far LA is way better than Atkins at the point. Had LA been healthy, he alongside Joel would have been very potent!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for THE point guard!

nardy
09-14-2009, 07:45 PM
look what I found at http://firequinito.com/archives/182-Hitler-feels-Franz-Pumarens-pain.html (http://"http://firequinito.com/archives/182-Hitler-feels-Franz-Pumarens-pain.html")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6pR2xghnU&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6pR2xghnU&feature=player_embedded)

It's upto you to say which one is better version, this one or last year's “Hitler reacts to JRU’s loss to San Beda”

Thank you to jaemark of firequinito.com.
http://firequinito.com/"] (http://"http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7-bZugkeVVtrGM:http://firequinito.com/templates/firequinito/img/banner.jpg[/img]

mr_reteche
09-20-2009, 08:52 PM
i think lasale will be back with vengeance next season...just looking at the probable players for next year man it is big

sanlo
09-20-2009, 11:52 PM
i think lasale will be back with vengeance next season...just looking at the probable players for next year man it is big

How big is it? The other teams will be bigger and better too.

glock23
09-22-2009, 11:52 AM

7 footer too small for you pare?

izon
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM

7 Footer ? Green Archers will be having a 7 Footer the next UAAP Season ?

glock23
09-22-2009, 01:24 PM

7 Footer ? Green Archers will be having a 7 Footer the next UAAP Season ?

Just kidding

salsa caballero
09-22-2009, 02:06 PM
;) Hindi daw next season kasi magre-residency pa hehehe Atsaka, 6-10 lang daw hindi 7 footer :o

glock23
09-23-2009, 12:42 AM
;) Hindi daw next season kasi magre-residency pa hehehe Atsaka, 6-10 lang daw hindi 7 footer :o

6'10 naka heels ;D

izon
09-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Umuwi na ba si Malabes sa Bahrain at si Ferdinand sa Indonesia? Eto ang sinabi ni Rick Olivares sa biased nyang column at yong kay Ferdinand naman eh balibalita sa ibang forums.

bg_eagle
10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Umuwi na ba si Malabes sa Bahrain at si Ferdinand sa Indonesia? Eto ang sinabi ni Rick Olivares sa biased nyang column at yong kay Ferdinand naman eh balibalita sa ibang forums.

This should obviously be less biased than Rick Olivares.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=260316

The_Big_Cat
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Now where did you get that idea? Wishful thinking, perhaps?

It doesn't make sense for Franz to take the pains to recruit and assemble a team that will be competitive for years to come if he were planning to turn it over to someone else.

If he were leaving this season, don't you think he wouldn't like to go out with a championship by putting together the best team for one last hurrah? No, this team is built for the long haul, and it may not figure prominently in the race this year. But in 2-3 years, it will definitely be in the thick of the fight, and for the first time in ages, there is now a Team B which will probably include Norbert Torres, Martin Reyes, Marko Batricevic among others. Team B will be an incubator for potential Archers, and will participate in other tournaments to keep the players active.

Franz is still the same coach he has been for the last several years. He's still as meticulous in preparing the team, still keeps his eyes on the details, still tells the players off when they don't do what they're supposed to, and shows the fire and passion of his first year on the bench. After having watched him coach the team against UP in a tune up game last weekend, I believe he still enjoys coaching the Green Archers, and isn't at the point where he's considering calling it a day. But that's just me.

Shouldn't you have posted in the "tsismis" thread instead where it really belongs? After all, things posted there do come true, occasionally.

Pumaren resigns as Archers head coach
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 20:30:00 10/06/2009

MANILA, Philippines – Multi-titled mentor Franz Pumaren stepped down as La Salle head coach, Brother Bernie Oca, the school's representative to the UAAP board announced during the team's practice late Tuesday.

Pumaren's younger brother Dindo, who served as his assistant this season, will take over starting January.

But the elder Pumaren, who steered the Green Archers to five men's basketball championship, will still call the shots for the team in the Philippine Collegiate Championship League next month.

Pumaren mentored the Archers for 11 years, highlighted by a four straight title run from 1998 to 2001.

The Archers, however, failed to reach the Final Four for the first time under Pumaren this year.