PDA

View Full Version : Season 85: The Race to the Final Four

oca
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Interesante ang season na ito for a few obvious of reasons--

1. Meron 3 bagong koponan and nobody knows how they will fare during the actual NCAA competition.

2. This 3 new teams increased the number of games in the calendar with lesser number of days in between for rest. Conditioning must now be a crucial factor starting middle of the second round.

3. For the first time since S82, San Beda is not expected to dominate the league. Kaya tiyak masikip ang karera sa top spot.

4. For the first time since the late 90s, SSC-R actually did well in the pre-season and it was a credible performance to say the least.

Given the above and with each passing playday, ano ang masasabi ng bawat isa sa race to the Final Four...

oca
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Offhand, sasabihin ko walang team ang nakakatiyak na makakakuha ng twice-to-beat advantage. But I give SBC, JRU, CSJL, and SSC-R out right semis spots.

Ang kicker nito ay yung mga upsets the other 6 teams will score over these four.

mighty_lion
06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Right now this is how I look at it assuming healthy line-up for all except Etame Joe.

1. JRU - They are full of veterans and intact starting unit: Bulangis-Cagogo-Wilson-Hayes-Sena. Ang problema actually kaya ba nilang mag-execute sa closing minutes pag-dikit ang laro and consistency all through out.

2. SBC - The team is still 2 players deep at each position. Hermida and Shaq are given but they wont be able to carry it all. RLs title defense will depend largely on how Lanete, Gamalinda, Pascual, Tecson and Marcelo will elevate their game given the expanded roles; and Sudan's ability to fill at least 80% of what RL lost in Sam. RDLR is hard to project at this point but he will contribute. X-factor - Melo Lim

3. SSCR - In terms of manpower I will say JRU has advantage over SSCR. SSCR's new system and playing style will shock everyone. I would have ranked them higher but I have some reservations as to how they will adjust with bunch of rookies and new coach. Iba pa rin pag NCAA tournament na.

4. CSJL - Jazul and Guevarra are still there. Expect a much improved Jam Cortez. The team has 7 rookies, bata pa masyado. This boil down to one name. Louie Alas.

Other notes:
- Arellano is hard to predict. They no longer have Leo Isaac and Tito Orly Daroya.
- MIT, UPHR and CSB are all in rebuilding mode. Bago ang coaches.

untamed
06-25-2009, 01:53 AM
4. For the first time since the late 90s, SSC-R actually did well in the pre-season and it was a credible performance to say the least.

sir just to add it up the last time baste had a good pre-season campaign was in 2002 were in they won the father martin cup against feu & the ambrosio paddilla cup against ust and eventually won their last ncaa crown in that same year. but of course nothing compare to the pre-season campaigns during the 90's which baste can easily dominate. perhaps this will be a good sign for the team chances this year. :D

pepman
06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
By rank:
1. JRU
2. SSC-R
3. SBC
4. CSJL

Regular Grey
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I have to agree with Pepman,

1. JRu
2. Baste
3. San Beda
4. Letran

Mabigat ang laban ngayon ng San Beda. 80 percent ng score nila last year, nawala, (POng, Sam, Ogie . . Etc)

Wala pang masyadong pinapakita si Daniels. Wala pa ring kasiguraduhan ang laro ni Hermida. Tapos wala ka nang player na may puwede mong sabihing maaasahan sa end game.

Ito na sigurado ang pinaka mahirap na laban ng Red Lions.

Derrick_Rose
06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
1. SSC-R
2. JRU
3. SBC
4. CSJL

;D

abcdef
06-26-2009, 02:49 AM
its JRU,SSC-R,San Beda, Letran.

For JRU and SSC-R its all about executing, for SBC I reckon the coach will be the "constant" or the go-to-guy at this stage, while for Letran nakita naman natin kung paano binuhat ni Jazul ang Letran what if the Alas brothers can make their father more proud by getting their share of the load plus excellent coachng sa reserves nalang magkakatalo.

BedanRoar
06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I have to agree with Pepman,

1. JRu
2. Baste
3. San Beda
4. Letran

Mabigat ang laban ngayon ng San Beda. 80 percent ng score nila last year, nawala, (POng, Sam, Ogie . . Etc)

Wala pang masyadong pinapakita si Daniels. Wala pa ring kasiguraduhan ang laro ni Hermida. Tapos wala ka nang player na may puwede mong sabihing maaasahan sa end game.

Ito na sigurado ang pinaka mahirap na laban ng Red Lions.

I agree that the Red Lions isn't as strong as the previous 3 years. JRU is a ripe fruit for the picking and SSC-R is made up of rookies that play like veterans. Perhaps, the six man would be the Red Army (Crowd Support)! This can easily pump up a players adrenalin. IMHO

oca
06-30-2009, 07:10 PM
AU's first big test will against Letran on Wed, July 1. Imo, a credible showing here will have serious consequences on everyones projection on the F4 race. A win by AU, imo, makes them an outright contender for that 4th spot.

Naturingang bago at bisita, pero iba talaga pag mama na ang mga players mo. ::)

Mga koyang, hinay-hinay lang kay Kevin. Bubot pa ang katawan niyan. Totoong first year college yan, di pa nga yata natutuyo yung tinta sa hs diploma nya. Pag yan pinagulong o pinasadsad niyo sa sahig, lagot kayo sa kuya niyan! ;D ;D ;D

pyke
07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
AU's first big test will against Letran on Wed, July 1. Imo, a credible showing here will have serious consequences on everyones projection on the F4 race. A win by AU, imo, makes them an outright contender for that 4th spot.

Mga koyang, hinay-hinay lang kay Kevin. Bubot pa ang katawan niyan. Totoong first year college yan, di pa nga yata natutuyo yung tinta sa hs diploma nya. Pag yan pinagulong o pinasadsad niyo sa sahig, lagot kayo sa kuya niyan! ;D ;D ;D

Dahan dahan sa paghusga. The NCAA has a competent screening process. I think it's unfair to even suggest na mga Mama na ang players namin. You can complain sa Mancom kung mas basis yang mga accusations mo.

Peace!!!!!

oca
07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Dahan dahan sa paghusga. The NCAA has a competent screening process. I think it's unfair to even suggest na mga Mama na ang players namin. You can complain sa Mancom kung mas basis yang mga accusations mo.

Peace!!!!!

Huwag masyadong sensitive. ;)

The term "mama" is always used here at gameface when referring to the physical maturity of a player.

It's never used to insinuate ineligibility.

Take note, one usually graduate from hs between the ages of 16 to 18. Kaya kung diligent ang isang student athlete pagdating nyan ng 21 o 22, graduate na yan. But since league rules set the cut off age at 25, walang anomalya.

Pero di maitatanggi, ang katawan ng isang 21 o pataas ay mas "mama" kumpara sa isang mas bata ang edad.

Congrats nga pala sa panalo niyo kontra Letran. :)

JackMotta
07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Sa tingin ko sigurado na ang SBC,JRU, SSCR, AU sa final four with SBC and JRU fighting for the championship and SBC winning in three games.

Arriba LETRAN

franz_inwurdz
07-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jack. But to me, forecasting the final four this season is surely fearless. As Oca pointed out, this year is the year where the Red Lions is not expected to win it all.

I'd say it's to early to tell, pero sana mag dilang anghel ka parekoy.

Congrat's AU for the win yesterday, And as if the season couldn't be more exciting, you guys just made it a bit more. AYos!

oca
07-04-2009, 09:25 PM
The first round isn't even halfway, pero IMO malinaw na ang F4 contenders from the pretenders. This is a race amongst AU, CSJL, JRU, SBC and SSC-R.

Pag tinalo ng AU ang SBC sa Lunes, July 6, the Chiefs have a realistic chance of ending the first round with a 7-2 w-l card.

I would really want to see AU at 7-2!

In that scenario the pressure will mount on the other teams early in the second rd instead towards the end. Then, mas lalong maganda ang labanan!

The past 3 seasons, the F4 race was very much a 4-team race. Yung incentive na lang ang pinaglalabanan. Pero ngayon, it is not unlikely to see a San Beda at the cut off line.

Honestly, I won't be surprised to see SBC at 4th at the end of the first rd.

dream2babedan
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
1. JRU
2. SSC-R
3. SBC
4. CSJL/AU

I think AU will fall on fourth place.Maganda ang pinapakita nila.
Tulad ng AU, maganda din ang pinapakita ng SSC-R, winning against SBC is really an achievement for them.

Mahihirapan ngayon ang SBC to win the 4peat pero I think Coach FL is doing something rather experimenting kung sino ang mga pwede nya ipasok pag critical stage na.

Pag nanalo JRU today against AU, they will grab the first spot na.

Let's all see kung sino nga ba ang makakapasok sa finals.

Bilog ang bola, kaya hidi pa rin tayo sigurado. ;)

nnahoj
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
I'll put San Beda in the top 2, not because I'm a Bedan (well, partially ;)) but because of their championship experience. People always tend to forget Rudy Tomjanovich's advice.

jayverns
08-11-2009, 09:12 PM
1. SSC-R
2. SBC
3. JRU
4. CSJL

Joe_c00l
08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
1. SSC
2. SBC
3. JRU
4. AU

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!!!

Get_Blazed
08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
This far into the season, medyo mukhang hindi natin inaasahan ang mga nangyari, based on the early predictions. Nobody could have predicted that SSC-R will be on top, and that there will be at least 3 teams vying for the last seed (unlike the projected lock for the F4). ;D

Other notes:
- Arellano is hard to predict. They no longer have Leo Isaac and Tito Orly Daroya.
- MIT, UPHR and CSB are all in rebuilding mode. Bago ang coaches.

New head coach, but same system. Coach Richard was part of Coach Gee's team last year. Technically, we are not in rebuilding mode, and still very much in the running for the 4th spot.

Dont count us out yet, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, ika nga. ;)

oca
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Arellano.

As of today, 20 Aug, they now have 6 wins and they still have to play these under .500 teams --- AUF, MIT, UPHD and EAC. Palagay ko, if they win their remaining games versus these teams in the lower half of the standing they will assure themselves of a playoff for that 4th spot at the very least. With 10-8 at end of the elims baka nga pasok sila outright.

Pero meron crucial stretch sa sched ng Chiefs where they play Letran, JRU and San Beda in that sequence before meeting MIT, UPHD and EAC.

Will losing 3 straight affect their morale as they meet the tailenders?

Actually, we can look at it from another perspective. They could be playing those 3 games relaxed knowing that they have an easier sched at the homestretch to collect those needed wins.

Being relax may result to a repeat over Letran. The Knights' weak frontline will find it hard to check Gio Ciriacruz and Celada.

Or, did I just jinxed Arellano? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

brownjapanese
08-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Its going to be San Sebastian on top, playing AU or Letran in the final four. And San Beda vs JRU fighting to face San Sebastian in the finals. What a turn around. San Beda and JRU is 50/50!

Get_Blazed
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
It is slowly slipping away from us... :-[

brownjapanese
09-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I hope san beda can still get the no. 1 spot. Its easier to face letran than jru in the final 4.
The match-up: san beda win over letran and jru win over san sebastian. san beda and jru in the final? WOW! 50/50!

ilovedhay
09-13-2009, 03:58 PM
As of this day. Its's still San Sebastian at no.1 followed by San Beda at second, JRU at third and Fourth place notch by Letran.

vikz
09-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Hello peeps!! I just saw the news that JRU defeated San Beda..It was a good game, so do you guys think JRU can take it all?? I'm hoping so one of my Uncle's son is playing for JRU John Lopez, his dad use to play for JRU when it was called JRC ages ago, we call him Decoy and man did he got big!!..

The first round isn't even halfway, pero IMO malinaw na ang F4 contenders from the pretenders. This is a race amongst AU, CSJL, JRU, SBC and SSC-R.

Pag tinalo ng AU ang SBC sa Lunes, July 6, the Chiefs have a realistic chance of ending the first round with a 7-2 w-l card.

I would really want to see AU at 7-2!

In that scenario the pressure will mount on the other teams early in the second rd instead towards the end. Then, mas lalong maganda ang labanan!

The past 3 seasons, the F4 race was very much a 4-team race. Yung incentive na lang ang pinaglalabanan. Pero ngayon, it is not unlikely to see a San Beda at the cut off line.

Honestly, I won't be surprised to see SBC at 4th at the end of the first rd.

brownjapanese
09-19-2009, 04:13 PM
San Sebastian is for real? When they face JRU or San Beda in the finals sila pa rin yong underdog. I don't think
Baste will win the NCAA crown.

oca
09-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Final four cast is complete. Letran has no way of earning twice to beat advantage. SSC-R has earned it and with 15-0 record, most seems to have conceded one finals berth to them. Second spot is being contested by JRU and SBC, but it seems most are just waiting for the semis to start, notwithstanding there are still 6 play days in the elims.

Pero ang di pansin ng marami ay pwede pang magkaroon ng triple tie for first. Or, pwede pang matalo ang SSC-R ng tatlong sunod; pwedeng mag first at second ang sino man sa JRU at SBC at pumangatlo ang SSC-R after the last play date on Oct 7.

All these can unravel starting with today’s CSJL vs SSC-R game.

batangueño
09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Letran UPSETS San Sebastian, 80-63!

oca
09-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Can JRU replicate on Monday what Letran did today?

abcdef
09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Wow. . . exciting na naman ang final four panigurado!

JRU seems to be peaking. . . .but I reckon too early.
San Sebastian just got their first loss.
Letran is just happy to be in the 4.
San Beda have alot of things developing since the JRU loss.

paul0220
09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
If JRU will study how CSJL beat SSC-R then they can.. di naman nalalayo coaching style ni Vanguardia kay Alas..

oca
09-26-2009, 06:12 AM
If JRU will study how CSJL beat SSC-R then they can.. di naman nalalayo coaching style ni Vanguardia kay Alas..

They did. Not contented to have the coaching staff watch the game live, the players were also there including those in Team B.

oca
09-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Nuong Sep 18 pa natapos ang karera sa F4 after Mapua defeated Arellano. But the F4 seedings, and even the posturing, was far from over.

When I made that post yesterday, about an hour and a half before the Letran v SSC-R game, people seem to have ignored the remaining 6 play days and were just waiting for the semis to begin. Not realizing that SSC-R has 3 games to play--- all against F4 teams --- but is just 2 wins ahead of JRU and SBC.

After yesterday's loss, if SSC-R loses the next two games against JRU and SBC, then it will end up with a 15-3 record. Then, that may not make them top seed going into the finals.

JRU benefited the most from Letran's win as it next games will be against SSC-R this Monday and EAC a week after. After JRU beats the Stags it may well get top seeding in the F4!

SBC's two remaining games will be vs Letran and SSC-R. Both tough games. IMO, I don't expect Frankie Lim to do as horribly as he did against JRU. FL's respect for Alas and Agustin is evident and that will make him think clearer and more logical. Personal na talaga yung galit niya kay Vanguardia and that clouded his mind. He refuses to make adjustments as this may be construed as him being outsmarted--- unacceptable yan kung si Vanguardia yung nasa kabilang bench.

Kutob ko, pagkagising ng players ng SBC ngayong umaga, they may actually feel better about their chances of making the finals as a result Letran's win over SSC-R. That win opened the window for JRU be first at the end of elims. These kids would like to meet another team in the semis, huwag lang ang JRU. Dahil alam nila nawawala sa sarili yung coach nila pag JRU ang katapat. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D If JRU is first, SBC plays SSC-R in the semis, tanong na lang ay who has the twice to beat advantage.

As for Letran, they are stuck at fourth and that won't change regardless of the outcome of their last game vs SBC on Wednesday. That game is no bearing for them, hence they should be relax and that will augur well for their offense. This is a very proud team with a very good coach who motivates very well, kaya kahit no bearing sa kanila ang laro kontra SBC, expect them to go for a win.

JRU should post a very convincing win over SSC-R this Monday.

The Red Lions better enter that court on Wednesday thinking Letran is playing for survival.

SSC-R must be thinking there was a conspiracy when the schedule was drawn up, lintek... Letran, JRU, San Beda for your last 3 games! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Letran will have a feel good two weeks ahead of them, notwithstanding their being at 4th place. ;)

ridgemark
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
This is gonna be one of the best NCAA seasons ever.
Let's bring back the old glory of the league.
NCAA: All about basketball and school pride

ridgemark
10-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Just want to clarify:
When I said all about basketball
I meant that this league is not about glamor and color and money
(not meant to exclude other sports)
NCAA!

can2terz
10-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Red Lions demolish Knights, Red Cubs stun Squires
NCAA Press Release, Sat, Oct 3, 2009

San Beda relied on Roldan Sara’s three-pointer in the crunch as it foiled Letran’s sweep bid with a pulsating 92-91 victory yesterday in the juniors’ division of the 85th NCAA basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan City.

Trailing 89-91 in the dying seconds, point guard Baser Amer surveyed the field and found an open Sara, who launched and drained the booming triple with a little over three seconds to go that proved to be the game-winner as the Red Cubs snatched the win, their 16th in 17 outings.

The Squires had one more chance of snaring the win but Archie Inigo’s desperation three-point heave missed its target at the buzzer that sent them to their first setback after an amazing 17-0 streak.

The Muralla-based school went into the game gunning an 18th straight triumph that would have completed it a historic elimination round sweep while catapulting it straight to the best-of-three championship.

Instead, the Squires had to do it the hard way—via the Final Four.

Letran is almost assured of the No. 1 seed even if San Beda goes on to hurdle its last elimination round assignment against San Sebastian, idle at third spot with a 12-4 (win-loss) slate, on Oct. 12.

The Squires face the No. 4 team, which could either be the Jose Rizal Light Bombers (10-6) or the Perpetual Help Altalettes (9-7), in the Final Four while the Red Cubs square off with the Staglets needing just a victory to forge an interesting title showdown.

In the only other juniors’ game, Mapua leaned on a balanced attack as it trounced Angeles U Foundation, 87-46, to notch its fifth win in 12 outings.

The Junior Danes fell to their 17th straight defeat.

In a non-bearing seniors match, Mapua slammed AUF, 91-77, to likewise clinch its fifth win against 12 setbacks.

The Great Danes absorbed their 16th loss against a win.

Reigning three-peat titlist San Beda jumped the gun on Letran and pounced on the early ejection of coach Louie Alas as it hammered out a 76-64 victory yesterday to close in on the twice-to-beat bonus in the Final Four in the 85th NCAA basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan City.

Rookie Adler dela Rosa, son of former pro Romeo, fired his league high 18 points while Garvo Lanete, Riego Gamalinda and Jake Pascual chipped in 16, 15 and 14 points, respectively, to send the Lions to their 15th win against two losses.

“We played a great first half,” said San Beda coach Frankie Lim.

The Knights, whose coach was tossed out with 40.9 seconds remaining in the first quarter after he was assessed a pair of technical fouls, fell to their sixth setback against 12 wins and would be the No. 4 seed going into the Final Four.

The Lions, for their part, would need to beat the idle San Sebastian Stags, barely on top with a 15-1 (win-loss) record, on Oct. 12 for the former to get a chance at the No. 1 seed.

“Regardless of the result of San Sebastian’s last game (against Jose Rizal), we’re gunning for No. 1,” said Lim, who steered the Mendiola-based school to the last two of its three-peat feat.

The scores:
First Game (Jrs.)
Mapua 87- Alejandro 12, Valdez 12, Aviso 10, Basas 10, Castillo 10, Sevilla 8, Macalino 6, de Castro 6, Mena 4, Targa 4, Reyes 3, dela Cruz 2, Abad 0
AUF 46- Lakandula 9, Tuazon 8, Maniti 7, Tamayo 7, Bondoc 6, Cayanan 5, Olalia 2, Gando 2, Sanchez 0, Dizon 0, Castillejos 0, Laxamana 0, Yambao 0
Quarterscores: 29-13; 51-29; 74-36; 87-46

Second Game (Jrs.)
San Beda 92- Sara 26, Amer 23, Gotladera 14, Abatayo 8, Ludovice 7, Javier 6, Moralde 3, Amin 3, dela Cruz 2, Chavez 0, Monteclaro 0
Letran 91- Tampus 29, Khobuntin 18, Cruz 15, Ongteco 12, Inigo 11, Cabahug 3, Cudal 3, Maravilla 0, So 0, Medina 0, Roxas 0, Cabigas 0
Quarterscores: 21-21; 35-39; 61-59; 92-91

Third Game (Srs.)
Mapua 91- Acotsa 12, Mangahas 11, Sarangay 10, Cornejo 10, Raneses 10, Guillermo 9, Pascual 8, Stevens 6, Cinco 6, Parala 5, Soriano 4, Maniego 0
AUF 77- Carney 21, Nacu 16, Santos 12, Musni 11, Gomez 8, Henson 4, Gigante 2, Cayanan 2, Maniago 1, Fuertez 0, Manarang 0, Dumlao 0
Quarterscores: 21-17; 44-33; 65-52; 91-77

Fourth Game (Srs.)
San Beda 76- dela Rosa 18, Lanete 16, Gamalinda 15, Pascual 14, Tecson 4, Hermida 4, Daniel 3, Marcelo 2, Tirona 0, Caram 0
Letran 64- Jazul 25, Guevarra 9, Foronda 5, del Rosario 5, Gutilban 4, Cortes 4, Ke. Alas 4, Kr. Alas 3, Malabago 3, Taplah 2, Belencion 0, Datang 0
Quarterscores: 26-14; 45-22; 64-39; 76-64

Animo SAn Beda!!

danny
10-02-2009, 11:54 PM
This is gonna be one of the best NCAA seasons ever.
Let's bring back the old glory of the league.
NCAA: All about basketball and school pride

Let's be realistic. In this day and age of hyper-capitalism and dumb mass consumption perpetrated by the corporatist class via media, in today's collegiate leagues, GLORY is MONEY. Even China's motto uttered by Deng was all about money. "To become rich is glorious!"

The NCAA cannot realistically compete given the requirements of the corporatist class who demand a mass market following to sell their "useless" wares. The NCAA population base is too thin, comparable only to one or two schools in the other league.

Just play basketball. That is all there is. If we are looking for NCAA glory, then show them the moolah. If none, stick to basketball passion.

San Beda has the pride, passion, and money. The ingredients why the corporatist backers of the UAAP suddenly showed interest to the horror of some freeloaders who piggy-backed on the Ateneo-La Salle induced success of the league.

We should always be reminded of the words of Rene Saguisag and the late Raul Roco that all glory is fleeting. Glory is fleeting. What matters to us Bedans sn the FELLOWSHIP. People not institutions or any trappings of power.

Anyway, after Ondoy, . A picture of Bedans and other NCAA people giving out cans of sardines and noodle soup to the least of our brothers is more glorious in the eyes of our MAKER.

THAT IN ALL THINGS GOD MAY BE GLORIFIED.

danny
10-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Sino, paano at saan ang mga tututlungan ng NCAA. Madami pa tayong kababayang nasalanta ng bagyo. Yang ibang kita sa Final 4, ipamudmod sa mas nangangailangan.

naz-T
10-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Mukhang mas binigyan pansin ng NCAA press ang panalo ng Cubs kesa panalo ng Lions.

Pero mukhang mali ata ang nasulat. Napanuod ko ang laro kanina at 89-all ang score nung nakashoot ng 3points si Sara. 4 seconds nalang ata natira kaya pag kuha ni Inigo, binato nalang agad kahit hindi pa nakatawid ng half court at na follow up ni Cudal for the final score na 92-91.

Another thing is, how come nakasulat sa article ng NCAA Press is sure na sa #1 ang Squires? Hindi ba lagi play-offs ang ginagamit ng NCAA pag may tie? pwede pa mag tie ang Cubs at Squires sa #1 pag manalo ang Cubs sa last game nila against Staglets.

Tapos yung Staglets hindi pa rin nakakasiguro sa #3. 12-4 sila ngayon, last 2 games against Light Bombers and Cubs. If Staglets looses their last 2 games pwde sila mag tie ng Light Bombers sa 12-6, assuming the Light Bombers will win their last game against EAC.

If Cubs and Squires end up tied at #1 and Light Bombers and Squires end up tied at #3, wala bang play offs?

oca
10-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Red Lions demolish Knights, Red Cubs stun Squires
NCAA Press Release, Sat, Oct 3, 2009

San Beda relied on Roldan Sara’s three-pointer in the crunch as it foiled Letran’s sweep bid with a pulsating 92-91 victory yesterday in the juniors’ division of the 85th NCAA basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan City.

Trailing 89-91 in the dying seconds, point guard Baser Amer surveyed the field and found an open Sara, who launched and drained the booming triple with a little over three seconds to go that proved to be the game-winner as the Red Cubs snatched the win, their 16th in 17 outings.

The Squires had one more chance of snaring the win but Archie Inigo’s desperation three-point heave missed its target at the buzzer that sent them to their first setback after an amazing 17-0 streak.

The Muralla-based school went into the game gunning an 18th straight triumph that would have completed it a historic elimination round sweep while catapulting it straight to the best-of-three championship.

Instead, the Squires had to do it the hard way—via the Final Four.

Letran is almost assured of the No. 1 seed even if San Beda goes on to hurdle its last elimination round assignment against San Sebastian, idle at third spot with a 12-4 (win-loss) slate, on Oct. 12.

The Squires face the No. 4 team, which could either be the Jose Rizal Light Bombers (10-6) or the Perpetual Help Altalettes (9-7), in the Final Four while the Red Cubs square off with the Staglets needing just a victory to forge an interesting title showdown.

In the only other juniors’ game, Mapua leaned on a balanced attack as it trounced Angeles U Foundation, 87-46, to notch its fifth win in 12 outings.

The Junior Danes fell to their 17th straight defeat.

In a non-bearing seniors match, Mapua slammed AUF, 91-77, to likewise clinch its fifth win against 12 setbacks.

The Great Danes absorbed their 16th loss against a win.

Reigning three-peat titlist San Beda jumped the gun on Letran and pounced on the early ejection of coach Louie Alas as it hammered out a 76-64 victory yesterday to close in on the twice-to-beat bonus in the Final Four in the 85th NCAA basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan City.

Rookie Adler dela Rosa, son of former pro Romeo, fired his league high 18 points while Garvo Lanete, Riego Gamalinda and Jake Pascual chipped in 16, 15 and 14 points, respectively, to send the Lions to their 15th win against two losses.

“We played a great first half,” said San Beda coach Frankie Lim.

The Knights, whose coach was tossed out with 40.9 seconds remaining in the first quarter after he was assessed a pair of technical fouls, fell to their sixth setback against 12 wins and would be the No. 4 seed going into the Final Four.

The Lions, for their part, would need to beat the idle San Sebastian Stags, barely on top with a 15-1 (win-loss) record, on Oct. 12 for the former to get a chance at the No. 1 seed.

“Regardless of the result of San Sebastian’s last game (against Jose Rizal), we’re gunning for No. 1,” said Lim, who steered the Mendiola-based school to the last two of its three-peat feat.

No bearing? Not exactly if you consider the fact that the 5th and 6th placers get tickets to the PCCL qualifiers.

Arellano has a lock on 5th place. MIT is still in contention for earning that ticket to the PCCL qualifiers. Also still fighting for a seemingly irrelevant 6th place finish are Benilde and EAC. Just look at the team standings.

For teams who are rebuilding and wanting to develop their their players, malaking bagay yang maglaro sa isang competitive setting like the PCCL.

oca
10-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Mukhang mas binigyan pansin ng NCAA press ang panalo ng Cubs kesa panalo ng Lions.

Pero mukhang mali ata ang nasulat. Napanuod ko ang laro kanina at 89-all ang score nung nakashoot ng 3points si Sara. 4 seconds nalang ata natira kaya pag kuha ni Inigo, binato nalang agad kahit hindi pa nakatawid ng half court at na follow up ni Cudal for the final score na 92-91.

Another thing is, how come nakasulat sa article ng NCAA Press is sure na sa #1 ang Squires? Hindi ba lagi play-offs ang ginagamit ng NCAA pag may tie? pwede pa mag tie ang Cubs at Squires sa #1 pag manalo ang Cubs sa last game nila against Staglets.

Tapos yung Staglets hindi pa rin nakakasiguro sa #3. 12-4 sila ngayon, last 2 games against Light Bombers and Cubs. If Staglets looses their last 2 games pwde sila mag tie ng Light Bombers sa 12-6, assuming the Light Bombers will win their last game against EAC.

If Cubs and Squires end up tied at #1 and Light Bombers and Squires end up tied at #3, wala bang play offs?

From the NCAA Tournament Ground Rules for Basketball:

1.5 In the ELIMINATION ROUND, participating teams shall be ranked based on the win-loss
cards after the two round-robin systems of competition.

1.5.1 Should a tie that may affect the FINAL FOUR standings occur,
this will be resolved by a play-off among the teams involved.

1.5.2 All other ties may be resolved by WOTO and/or QUOTIENT SYSTEM.

naz-T
10-03-2009, 07:55 AM

From the NCAA Tournament Ground Rules for Basketball:

1.5 In the ELIMINATION ROUND, participating teams shall be ranked based on the win-loss
cards after the two round-robin systems of competition.

1.5.1 Should a tie that may affect the FINAL FOUR standings occur,
this will be resolved by a play-off among the teams involved.

1.5.2 All other ties may be resolved by WOTO and/or QUOTIENT SYSTEM.

Thanks sa info. There would indeed be play-offs. It's obvious na may effect sa FINAL FOUR standings pag mag tie Cubs and Squires sa #1 and mag tie rin ang Light Bombers and Staglets sa #3.

Nagkamali lang siguro ang NCAA sa press release nila

crazybedan
10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
i know its too early to ask... but who are playing his last yr this yr?