PDA

View Full Version : YOUR TOP 10 GREATEST PINOY COLLEGE PLAYERS OF ALL TIME

Sam Miguel
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
For a basketball forum I was stunned that there was no such thread here. Goes to show what shabby management we have hereabouts. ;D

Here are some guidelines:

1. He must have (of course) played college ball in the Philippines

2. He does NOT necessarily have to be a Filipino citizen

3. He does NOT necessarily have to have gone on to a career in the pros

4. He does NOT necessarily have to have won a college championship OR have been a college MVP

With all this in mind here is my Top 10 in no particular order:

1. Danny Francisco, Ateneo De Manila

2. Alvin Patrimonio, Mapua

3. Steve Watson, Ateneo De Manila

4. Samboy Lim, Letran

5. Rommel Adducul, San Sebastian

6. Benjie Paras, University of the Philippines

7. Lim Eng Beng, De Lasalle

8. Robert Jaworski, University of the East

9. Dennis Espino, Santo Tomas

10. Zandro Limpot Jr, De Lasalle

amdgc82
06-17-2009, 07:41 AM
1. Ambrosio "Paddy" B. Padilla (Ateneo, UP)
2. Lauro Mumar (San Carlos, Letran)
3. Luis Francisco "Moro" R. Lorenzo (Ateneo)
4. Carlos "Caloy" M. Loyzaga (San Beda)
5. Robert "Sonny" S. Jaworski (UE)
6. Lim Eng Beng (De La Salle)
7. Allan Caidic (UE)
8. Dennis Espino (UST)
9. Romel A. Adducul (San Sebastian)
10. Forendo "Ren-ren" Ritualo Jr. (De La Salle)

LION
06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Sam, since you mentioned that a player does not necessarily have to be a Filipino citizen, then this is my list:

1. Sam Ekwe
2. Carlos Loyzaga
3. Samboy Lim
4. Allan Caidic
5. Renren Ritualo
6. Lim Eng Beng
7. Rommel Adducul
8. Danny Francisco
9. Benjie Paras
10. Robert Jaworski

You may want to delete the "Pinoy" in the title of the thread.

McCoy
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
- 70's and 90's -

1. Phillip Cesar (Jose Rizal College)
2. Vergel Meneses (Jose Rizal College)
3. Atoy Co (Mapua)
4. Alvin Patrimonio (Mapua)
5. Samboy Lim (Letran)
6. Rommel Adducol (San Sebastian)
7. Benjie Paras (University of the Philippines)
8. Allan Caidic (University of the East)
9. Johnny Abbarientos (Far Eastern University)
10. Pido Jarencio (University of Sto Thomas)

The_Big_Cat
06-17-2009, 09:05 AM
For me, those who won multiple collegiate crowns:

1. Caloy Loyzaga (San Beda)
2. Lauro Mumar (Letran)
3. Samboy Lim (Letran)
4. Robert Jaworski (University of the East)
5. Danny Francisco (Ateneo)
6. Jun Limpot (La Salle)
7. Dennis Espino (Santo Tomas)
8. Rommel Adducul (San Sebastian)
9. Ren-Ren Ritualo (La Salle)
10. Sam Ekwe (San Beda)

pio_valenz
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I fail to see why Danny Francisco should be on this list. Yes, he was a very good center, but he only played two seasons for Ateneo and he wasn't even the Blue Eagles' leading scorer. I am pretty sure there are at least 10 former collegiate players over the past 60 or so years who had more impressive careers.

My list (in no particular order)

1. Caloy Loyzaga
2. Ambrosio Padilla
3. Lim Eng Beng
4. Robert Jaworski
5. Bogs Adornado
6. Allan Caidic
7. Johnny Abarrientos
8. Kurt Bachmann
9. Jun Limpot
10. Renren Ritualo

untamed
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
80's & 90's ito na inabot ko. ;)

in no particular order

NCAA

- samboy lim
- alvin patrimonio
- paul alvarez
- eugene quilban
- boybits victoria
- vergel meneses
- bong hawkins
- rommel adducul
- reuben dela rosa
- rodney santos

UAAP

- allan caidic
- pido jarencio
- benjie paras
- jerry codiņera
- danny francisco
- dennis espino
- johhny abarrientos
- vic pablo
- rey evangelista
- zandro limpot

ponce
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
NCAA

samboy lim
boybits victoria
vergel meneses
fernando libed
bong alvarez
eric quiday
bong hawkins
sam ekwe
kerby raymundo
tony valeriano

UAAP

benjie paras
danny francisco
ronnie magsanoc
juancho estrada
johnny abbarientos
jun limpot
dennis espino
bobby jose
allan caidic
jerry codinera

Eto na kasi yung mga naabutan ko. :)

oca
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Mga unang sumagi sa isipan ko ay sina...

Danila Florencio/ UST
Robert Jaworski/ UE
Marte Samson/ ADMU
Philip Cezar/ JRC
Lim Eng Beng/ La Salle
Samboy Lim, Letran
Allan Caidic/ UE
Benjie Paras/ UP
Danny Francisco/ ADMU
Arwind Santos/ FEU

Criteria: Kahit di ka nag-aaral sa paaralan nila, sasadyain mo na makita sila maglaro.

salsa caballero
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
At risk of being branded a heretic, I think that both Ren-Ren Ritualo and Mike Cortez should make this list, if only for the sheer impact and success they enjoyed during their college tenures. My other choices, in no particular order of course -

3. Caloy Loyzaga
4. Ed Ocampo
5. Moro Lorenzo
6. Carlos Badion
7. Samboy Lim
8. Alvin Patrimonio
9. Larry Mumar
10. Allan Caidic

bchoter
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Ang hirap naman ng exam mo Sam :-\

1. Robert Jaworski - he's the leader of that dynasty (gives the one finger salute)
2. Carlos Loyzaga - the greatest baller ever
3. Rommel Adducul - can't argue with success
4. Dennis Espino - same same
5. Lim Eng Beng - had bigger impact than Ren-ren and Mike Cortez (sorry Salsa I just had to pick it up from you :D)
6. Danny Francisco - was Mon Fernandezque in his short-lived college career
7. Benjie Paras - was so dominating right at his rookie year
8. Jervy Cruz - has the jewels and the numbers
9. Arwind Santos - never, since Philip Cezar, has a player dominated the game from the defensive end. And he's no slouch on offense. And he's got the crowns and the jewls
10. Allan Caidic - amazing scoring machine
10.1 Philip Cezar - basta

Wang-Bu
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Puro naman mga superstar 'yan.

Hindi ba pwede mga gaya nina: CHITO JAIME ng AMA, NINO SONGCO, GESTER EBUEN, at RONJAY BUENAFE ng EAC, ORLY DAROYA, ALFIE MARTINEZ at JORDAN MELANIO ng Arellano?

Lahat sila ay mga nakapagpa-champion sa kanilang mga paaralan. Ang mga EAC boys nakailang korona pa nga sa NCRAA PATI NA sa UCAA at sa Unigames.

Dahile pito na 'yan ang idadagdag ko na lang siguro sina Ed Ocampo ng Ateneo, Caloy Loyzaga ng San Beda at siempre pa si idol ko na si Robert Jaworski ng UE.

Mga honorable mention ko ang magkuyang Yancy at Ranidel De Ocampo ng St Francis, pati na si Ramon Mabayo ng STI at si Nelson Asaytono ng UM.

Talaga naman, hardcore site ang Gameface pero mukhang puro mainstream superstar lang kilala ng mga katoto ko dito...

pepman
06-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Carlos Loyzaga
Rommel Adducul
Ren-Ren Ritualo
Arwind Santos
Sam Ekwe
Allan Caidic
Samboy Lim
Sonny Jaworski
Jun Limpot
Kurt Bachmann

jkad
06-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Alan Caidic
Ren Ren Ritualo
Eugene Quilban
Jun Reyes
Sam Ekwe
Steve Watson
Arwind Santos
Jervy Cruz
Anthony Williams
Dennis Espino

Joescoundrel
06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
1. Carlos Loyzaga - arguably the most successful player of all time with multiple college and international titles to prove it

2. Robert Jaworski - has won at every level and is a cross-generational basketball icon known to both the young ones and the young once

3. Steve Watson - so good that he was playing in the seniors division even when he was still just in high school during a time when there were many great college players

4. Jun Limpot - didn't just win but was the team leader of the teams he led to college and international titles, did it with his unassuming demeanor and simple but effective on-court moves

5. Danny Francisco - without a doubt the best college player never to have gotten a chance to play pro ball, and it was only due to illness, could've been a better Ramon Fernandez

6. Orly Daroya - might be the best college player never to have played in the UAAP and the NCAA, has a vast array of skills and strength

7. Ronjay Buenafe - another great non-UAAP, non-NCAA guy, won multiple titles in at least three collegiate leagues, was the best player on a team loaded with talent

8. Rommel Adducul - was the foundation upon which a college dynasty was built in the early to middle 1990's, was also an international success

9. Renren Ritualo - an integral part, more so than any of his other teammates, of a dynasty that lasted from the late 1990's to the early 2000's, won many crucial games with his incredible shooting

10. Dennis Espino - started a dynasty in the early to middle 1990's and led his team to a sweep of the UAAP and the automatic title in his senior season

Ghostrider
06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
In no particular order -

1. Anthony Williams - FEU
2. Sam Ekwe - San Beda
3. Caloy Loyzaga - San Beda
4. Danny Florencio - UST
5. Benjie Paras - UP
6. Atoy Co - Mapua
7. Robert Jaworski - UE
8. Willie Pearson - La Salle
9. Samboy Lim - Letran
10. Rico Villanueva - Ateneo

honorable mention : Rommel Adducul - San Sebestian
Jun Reyes - Ateneo
Lim Eng Beng - La Salle
Eugene Quilban - San Sebastian
Philip Cezar - JRC
Arwind Santos - FEU
Dennis Espino - UST
Freddie Hubalde - Mapua
Romy Ang - Letran
Jojo Lastimosa - Ateneo / USJR?

LION
06-24-2009, 09:35 AM
1. Carlos Loyzaga - arguably the most successful player of all time with multiple college and international titles to prove it

2. Robert Jaworski - has won at every level and is a cross-generational basketball icon known to both the young ones and the young once

3. Steve Watson - so good that he was playing in the seniors division even when he was still just in high school during a time when there were many great college players

4. Jun Limpot - didn't just win but was the team leader of the teams he led to college and international titles, did it with his unassuming demeanor and simple but effective on-court moves

5. Danny Francisco - without a doubt the best college player never to have gotten a chance to play pro ball, and it was only due to illness, could've been a better Ramon Fernandez

6. Orly Daroya - might be the best college player never to have played in the UAAP and the NCAA, has a vast array of skills and strength

7. Ronjay Buenafe - another great non-UAAP, non-NCAA guy, won multiple titles in at least three collegiate leagues, was the best player on a team loaded with talent

8. Rommel Adducul - was the foundation upon which a college dynasty was built in the early to middle 1990's, was also an international success

9. Renren Ritualo - an integral part, more so than any of his other teammates, of a dynasty that lasted from the late 1990's to the early 2000's, won many crucial games with his incredible shooting

10. Dennis Espino - started a dynasty in the early to middle 1990's and led his team to a sweep of the UAAP and the automatic title in his senior season

There are many of them pareng Joe. You have Arnie Tuadles, Ronjay Buenafe, Romy De la Rosa, Elmer Cabahug, Yancy de Ocampo, Ranidel Ocampo, Yoyoy Villamin, Arturo Cristobal, Nelson Asaytono and many others that have escaped my memory at this time.

Personally, I think the late Arnulfo Tuadles was the best player that never played in the UAAP or the NCAA.

Sam Miguel
06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
My memory is really going... which college did bad boy Charlie Badion attend again?

I believe a grandchild of his - Jasper Badion - is playing for the Adamson Baby Falcons this year.

amdgc82
06-25-2009, 08:50 PM
My memory is really going... which college did bad boy Charlie Badion attend again?

I believe a grandchild of his - Jasper Badion - is playing for the Adamson Baby Falcons this year.

Mapua

Joescoundrel
07-02-2009, 07:48 AM
A lot of great college players never really became great pros, which could make for another list.

Guys like Rich Alvarez, Gerard Jones, Al Magpayo, Bong Melocoton, Nino Songco, Udoy Belmonte, John Cardel and Richie Melencio were all great players who won college championships and individual awards but just never turned into great PBA stars.

irishwhip
07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Hmmm here are the names of my top 10 collegiate players of all time (based sa inabutan ko and witnessed):

1. Rommel Adducul (SSC-R)
2. Victor Pablo (FEU)
3. Boybits Victoria (SBC)
4. Raymundo (Letran)
5. Calaguio (Letran)
6. Johnny Abbarientos (FEU)
7. Ren Ren Ritualo (DLSU)
8. L.A. Tenorio (ADMU)
9. Arwind Santos (FEU)
10. Dennis Espino (UST)

bluebruiser90
07-05-2009, 04:36 PM
My List from the mid-'80's - early 2000. In no particular order.

1. Rommel Adducul
2. Jun Limpot
3. Jun Reyes
4. Allan Caidic
5. Ren-Ren Ritualo
6. Dennis Espino
7. Johnny Abarientos
8. Samboy Lim
9. Benny Cheng
10.Benjie Paras

lekiboy
07-05-2009, 06:37 PM
My top 10 in no praticular order:

1. Benjie Paras ( UP)
2. Paul Alvarez ( SSC-R)
3. Boybits Victoria (SBC)
4. Samboy Lim ( Letran)
5. Rommel Adducul (SSC-R)
6. Johnny Abbarientos (FEU)
7. Ren Ren Ritualo (DLSU)
8. Caloy Loyzaga ( SBC)
9. Arwind Santos (FEU)
10. Allan Caidic ( UE)

Joescoundrel
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM

1. Rommel Adducul
2. Jun Limpot
3. Jun Reyes
4. Allan Caidic
5. Ren-Ren Ritualo
6. Dennis Espino
7. Johnny Abarientos
8. Samboy Lim
9. Benny Cheng
10.Benjie Paras

Mapua boy ka talaga. What's with Benny Cheng?

salsa caballero
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
^ I agree. Kung Mapua of that generation lang, I'd put Alvin Patrimonio ahead of Teng. But then, to each his own...

bchoter
07-07-2009, 12:45 PM
^ I agree. Kung Mapua of that generation lang, I'd put Alvin Patrimonio ahead of Teng. But then, to each his own...
Pare Arellano si Alving Teng :D

bluebruiser90
07-07-2009, 09:41 PM

1. Rommel Adducul
2. Jun Limpot
3. Jun Reyes
4. Allan Caidic
5. Ren-Ren Ritualo
6. Dennis Espino
7. Johnny Abarientos
8. Samboy Lim
9. Benny Cheng
10.Benjie Paras

I have a soft spot for the Mapua teams of the late '80's to the early '90's. Actually became friends with a number of Cardinals. One of my pre-requisites in making this list was to have players who were not only gifted basketball players individually but also coupled with a winning record in getting significant league titles. The main reason why Benny Cheng is the only Cardinal on my list and the absence of the great Alvin Patrimonio. Good as he was and with all the success that he enjoyed in every level, Patrimonio still failed to bring the Cardinals to the top of the NCAA heap during his tenure as King Cardinal.

Kung pure basketball skills lang, ilalagay ko na si Epoy Jalmasco of FEATI and later Shell in the PBA. He was unstoppable in college and could drop 50 points on any team of his generation quicker than you can say transition defense.

Mel
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
From the mid 80s onwards

1. Gilbert Reyes
2. Danny Francisco
3. Eugene Quilban
4. Paul Alvarez
5. Jun Limpot
6. Kenneth Duremdes
7. Rommel Adducul
8. Ren Ren Ritualo
9. Enrico Villanueva
10. Jervy Cruz

Joescoundrel
07-14-2009, 08:54 AM

1. Rommel Adducul
2. Jun Limpot
3. Jun Reyes
4. Allan Caidic
5. Ren-Ren Ritualo
6. Dennis Espino
7. Johnny Abarientos
8. Samboy Lim
9. Benny Cheng
10.Benjie Paras

I have a soft spot for the Mapua teams of the late '80's to the early '90's. Actually became friends with a number of Cardinals. One of my pre-requisites in making this list was to have players who were not only gifted basketball players individually but also coupled with a winning record in getting significant league titles. The main reason why Benny Cheng is the only Cardinal on my list and the absence of the great Alvin Patrimonio. Good as he was and with all the success that he enjoyed in every level, Patrimonio still failed to bring the Cardinals to the top of the NCAA heap during his tenure as King Cardinal.

Kung pure basketball skills lang, ilalagay ko na si Epoy Jalmasco of FEATI and later Shell in the PBA. He was unstoppable in college and could drop 50 points on any team of his generation quicker than you can say transition defense.

If that be the case shouldn't Chito Victolero and Randy Alcantara be on your list too? Both of them are coaches now by the way, handling of course the Mapua Cardinals.

Speaking of Epoy Jalmasco, if he makes any list then that same list should include Adamson's Asiong Madamba as well, and maybe even Jerome Cueto (I forget which college Jerome attended).

bluebruiser90
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Joe,

Cheng was top dog during their title runs and should have precedence over Victolero and Alcanatra.

On Cueto and Madamba, they should make at least one list: guys whose hang times can be measured by calendars. These cats could really fly. I had the opportunity to play with them and against them at one time or the other in the fabled Bracken Project 4 basketball courts (although I was a lot younger than these two gentlemen). Cueto actually became a neighbor in Paranaque and was an older brother/mentor role type in the local playgrounds.

Joescoundrel
07-18-2009, 10:04 AM
What list should the De Ocampo brothers, Yancy and Ranidel, be on if not a "greatest" list I wonder? Both brothers won at every level from college to the pros, and even served national team duty.