PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 72 Commissioner: Coach Joe Lipa

batangueño
06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Joe Lipa is back as UAAP commissioner
By Romina Austria
Philippine Daily Inquirer (http://sports.inquirer.net/collegiate/collegiate/view/20090611-209885/Joe-Lipa-is-back-as-UAAP-commissioner)
First Posted 09:26:00 06/11/2009

MANILA, Philippines - Joe Lipa is back yet again in the UAAP, where defending champion Ateneo opens its title defense against host Far Eastern U in the opening weekend of the 72nd edition of the country’s premiere collegiate tournament.

The UAAP board on Wednesday unanimously approved Lipa’s return as basketball commissioner, a post the many-time national team mentor also held during the 68th season in 2005.

“Joe is very qualified because he has shown that he can handle the job without any hint of bias or dishonor,” UAAP president Anton Montinola of FEU said.

The 72nd season of the UAAP opens on July 11 with University of Santo Tomas, overall champion for the past 11 years, taking on Adamson at 2 p.m., followed by the De La Salle-University of the East clash at 4 p.m.

UP debuts the following day against National U at 2 p.m. Ateneo and FEU collide at 4 p.m.

batangueño
06-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Joe Lipa appointed UAAP basketball commissioner
GMANews.tv (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/164616/Joe-Lipa-appointed-UAAP-basketball-commissioner)
06/10/2009 | 07:44 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Joe Lipa was appointed by the Universities Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) board as this year's commissioner for basketball competitions during the league's board meeting on Wednesday at the Far Eastern University.

Lipa will take over the job of Chito Narvasa, who presided over the league's basketball matches last season. Previously, Lipa served as commissioner of the UAAP's rival collegiate league, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Tapped by the UAAP board to help Lipa in enforcing league rules are referees from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), Philippine Basketball League and BRASCO.

The country's premier collegiate league is set to open its 2009-2010 season on July 11 with University of Santo Tomas meeting Adamson University in the first match followed by the tussle between De La Salle University and University of the East.

The next day, July 12, University of the Philippines will take on National University followed by the face-off between defending champion Ateneo de Manila University and this year's host FEU.

maroonmartian
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
To ex UP Coach and now Commissioner Joe Lipa, peace na po kayo with UP ;D His appointment is maybe a no-brainer because of his successful of the NCAA last year.

maroonmartian
07-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Coach Joe Lipa, akala ko ba wala na handcheck? Bakit kahapon na call siya twice?
Pansin ko din mas strict na sila sa ball handling errors ;)

Mateen Cleaves
07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Hindi naman sinabi na walang handcheck FOUL e.

Ang ibig sabihin ng "walang handcheck" ay hindi na papayagan mag hand-check ang mga defenders. That is a point of emphasis as far as officiating in the UAAP goes. Kung bantay ka, nakataas dapat ang kamay mo, at hindi nakatukod sa bantay mo. Lalo na kung pa-drive o kaya patanggap ng bola yung offensive player. Tatawagin at tatawagin na foul 'yon.

bchoter
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
JoeL come lately :(. Jervy would have torn the league in shreds had da nose come early.

stonecold316
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
God bless Coach Joe. Sana mas umayos pa ang mga refs sa mga tawag nila.

fujitsu
08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
naninibago talaga ako sa tawag ng mga refs ngayon. the refs needs consistency in their calls. why are they so fast in calling the 5 sconds inbounds when the opposing player is clearly stepping the line. the call should have been delay of the game. paging commissioner.

bchoter
08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Can coach Joe Lipa look at the UST-DLSZ juniors game and reiew the calls and non-calls of #84?

bangis
08-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Sir Joe paki-add na din sa rereviewhin mong game yung UST-La Salle today. Di ko maintindihan kasi minsan manipis minsan naman let go mga tawag.

Thanks!

maroonmartian
08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Add the crucial UE-DLSU game. Kita naman na dapat me continuation ko. I think the officiating remains the same. Kainis!!!

fujima04
08-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Commish Joe,

From a skeptical point of view. Pwede po ba magrequest?

Baka pwede maging vigilant kahit konti lang. Nagkalat na naman ang mga fixers ngayon na kinakabahan na mawalan ng sure blockbuster game sa Final Four.

Dami ng complains sa mga referees ng UAAP.

Madami naman yatang referees sa pool. Pwede na rin po ba huwag mag-officiate si #2, #84 at #85 sa mga crucial games.

atenean_blooded
08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Dear Commish Joe:

This is just to point out that referees during the last Ateneo-Adamson game were either incompetent or obviously biased against my team. I am sure a review of the tape will reveal both stupid calls and non-calls, which may or may not apply to both sides.

Also, this is just to point out that the officials erred when they restored the clock to just 48 seconds. From where I was sitting, it looked like play had stopped at around 54 seconds. The 6 second difference is crucial, because it's enough time to take a shot.

Further, perhaps you can shed light on why the game clock continues to run when players are about to set up an inbound after an opponent makes a basket. I understand that if play is stopped after the shot, the clock should stop too. But aside from yesterday's Ateneo-Adamson game, the La Salle-UE game also showed something similar.

tigerman
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Add the crucial UE-DLSU game. Kita naman na dapat me continuation ko. I think the officiating remains the same. Kainis!!!

AFAIK, sa FIBA rules kapag pumito na yung referee kelangan itira na kaagad nung player. He's not allowed to take 2 more steps after the foul.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

true.blue
09-01-2009, 11:37 PM
It's about time we find out what is the name of that referee no. 84.

naz-T
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Mahinang klase talaga ang mga Refs ng BRASCO. They were the group officiating the NCAA juniors last NCAA season. Si Joe Lipa din ang commish ng NCAA last season. Natago lang ang incompetence ng mga BRASCO refs sa NCAA kasi ang mga nag officiate ng NCAA seniors games last season ay PBL refs. At madami nag comment na maganda ang officiating sa NCAA last season.

Akala ng mga nanunuod maganda ang officiating last season sa NCAA, ang totoo ay sa Seniors division lang ang maganda. Yun lang kasi ang nakikita at napapanuod ng karamihan. Pero sa juniors division naman ay sobrang sakit sa mata ng officiating. I was able to watch some of the juniors game last NCAA season.

Ewan ko bakit pinapatakbo pa ni commish Joe ang mga BRASCO refs, sana puro PBL nalang na may consistent at maganda ang conditioning compared sa mga PBA at BRASCO refs na yan.

Joescoundrel
09-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Is it time for Joe Lipa to call it a career? His sticking to these BRASCU zebras is inexplicable. At the very least he should FIRE Referee Number 84 and Number 85. Those two are just itching to have fans put one between their eyes.

glock23
09-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Is it time for Joe Lipa to call it a career? His sticking to these BRASCU zebras is inexplicable. At the very least he should FIRE Referee Number 84 and Number 85. Those two are just itching to have fans put one between their eyes.

Bulok lahat yan Joe! kahit sino pa ang ilagay mo basta nasa pilipinas ka pa din, mabibili at mabibili ang mga yan!

maroonmartian
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Bulok lahat yan Joe! kahit sino pa ang ilagay mo basta nasa pilipinas ka pa din, mabibili at mabibili ang mga yan!

Add also to the fact na bulok si Mr. Anton Montinola ??? Those two would make a bad combination. It seems walang nagbago sa officiating kahit napalitan NABRO.

batangueño
09-07-2009, 09:59 PM

If I am not mistaken, Referees 84 and 85 are not BRASCU referees but PBA referees.

nel
09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
It doesn't matter - they're Lipa's choices. He rightfully deserves the flak for their poor performance.

I tend to agree with joescoundrel, though if we had to identify the referees to be fired by their number, we might not have enough left to officiate even one game. Why he agreed to serve as a powerless and toothless commissioner is a mystery. Lipa's reputation keeps sinking whenever he has anything to do with the UAAP. It's probably time for 'da Nose' to call it a day.

naz-T
09-13-2009, 11:27 PM
sana nababasa ni Joe Lipa mga comments dito for the good of UAAP.

he should have learned from his experience in the NCAA last year.

BRASCU officiated NCAA juniors last season and officiating was really terrible! sakit talaga sa mata. May napanood pa ako laro na may referee na mukhang wala sa kundisyon at medyo iika-ika ang takbo. Parang may konting sprain, dapat pa ba binibigyan ng assignment mga ganito? Yung mga ex-PBA refs naman na nasa BRASCU na pinagmamalaki ni Romy Guevara, mahinang klase rin. Kaya pala sila naging "ex"-PBA. Mukhang tinapon na talaga sila ewan natin for what reason. Mas nakakatakot mga former pros na refs na ito. Dahil mga veteran refs nga, hindi mo tuloy ngayon alam kung nagkakamali lang talaga ng tawag or minamali talaga nila. Mahirap naman mag bintang na walang evidence.

Joe Lipa should have also recalled na officiating by the PBL refs in last year NCAA seniors division was very consistent, and I think medyo smooth sailing except for the "call" daw from Mr. Noli Eala during the finals.

Pero that "call" was beyond the refs or officials control.

true.blue
09-14-2009, 10:34 PM
During Chito Narvasa's watch, he would evaluate the referees during and after the game and would not hesitate to point out to them their deficiencies/mistakes. Parang kulang si Joe in this matter.

Chito also rated the refs and only used the best performing ones in subsequent and especially important games. I hope Joe does that for the F4 and finals, i.e., bench referees 84, 85 and 86.