PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers Vs. Orlando Magic

coreytaylor
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
This is it! The NBA Finals is set. It's between the Los Angeles Lakers Vs. Orlando Magics. Expect this series to be very exciting and intense.

Before the series takes off, what are your finals predictions:

A. 2009 Champions:
B. Finals MVP:

coreytaylor
05-31-2009, 11:21 AM
A. 2009 Champions: Orlando Magic
B. Finals MVP: Hedo Turkoglu

christian
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Sir Corey, yung title mo orlando magics...

Raging Blue
05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Memo to the Magic:

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

fujima04
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Marami na ang nagtangka.

Marami na rin ang sumigaw.

Marami na rin ang nabigo. ;D

tawkytawny
05-31-2009, 03:52 PM
I hate to say this but my gut feel tells me that the LA Lakers will win this year's championship in 5 games. Finals MVP will be no other than the most hated (by myself): Kobe Bryant >:(

Raging Blue
05-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Let's look at the bright side. The Magic owned the Lakers during their two games in the regular season winning both. I'm sure the Lakers have that in the back of their minds.

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2009, 04:39 PM
The key match-up will be Rashard Lewis vs Lamar Odom.

tigerman
05-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Just like in the east finals, only a few picked Orlando to win over Cleveland despite its dominance over the latter. The same thing is happening in the upcoming finals.

I'd go with Orlando in 5 and Dwight Howard as the finals mvp.

The x-factors for the Magic are Pietrus (if he can limit Kobe) and Alston who needs to be aggressive since Nelson, who torched the Lakers in the regular season, is out for the rest of the season.

The x-factors for the Lakers are Odom and Bynum. Both of them must be in the scheme of the LA offense in order to force Howard and Lewis to play on both ends of the court.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
05-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Pau is always criticized for being soft and now is the best time to prove his doubters. That said, Dwight will eat Pau alive in this series. Bynum better step up big time and play like a man.

cub
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
This Magic team will have a hard time defending Bynum and Gasol. Yes, they have the DPOY but he can't guard the two at the same time. Rashard cannot guard Pau 1on1. Another key factor in this series would be the bench. Odom can produce 10-15 pts per outing but how about the Magic? Who will step up from the bench?

For the Lakers, I think Hedo Turkoglu will give them much problem. There's no one in the Laker line up who can guard him. Put Kobe or Ariza on him, he'll just post him up. Put Gasol on him and he'll just shoot all night long.

arjay_g
05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Go Magic!!!!

I do agree though that it will be Pau Gasol who'll pose match-up problems for the Magic. Maybe they ought to put in Gortat together with Howard on the floor? ;D Unlikely, I know. :D

I like Hedo but I don't think he'll be much of a mismatch to the Lakers defense as much as Pau will be to the Magic defense.

I think it'll be Rafer Alston who'll be key. Fisher doesn't have the quickness anymore to match up with him.

The xfactor for the Magic will be that 7yr old girl who sings the national anthem for them at their home games. They're undefeated whenever she's the one singing before the game ;D

Oh and my predictions:

Champs: Orlando Magic
Finals MVP: JJ Reddick, hahaha kidding.... it's gonna be Dwight Howard

digitalsuperman
05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
wow, this is tough.. its tough to tell..... nah.. i'll just enjoy the series... no picks for this year...

Emon74
06-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Orlando has beaten 60-game winners Boston and Cleveland, so there's no doubt they can do the same with the LA Lakers, as much as I wanna see the Magic and Dwight Howard win its first NBA Championship, I feel the Lakers will win in six or seven hard-fought games.

stonecold316
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
The Lakers will win the series in at least six games and the Finals MVP will be Kobe Bryant.
Siya ang magdadala sa team towards their 16th NBA title.

pepman
06-01-2009, 08:24 PM
A. Lakers
B. Kobe Bryant

4-2 indeed!

pepman
06-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I heard Mico Halili joining Solar for the NBA finals. No Andy, no Quinito, no Chino, perfect!

Regular Grey
06-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Champion - Lakers - 4-2

MVP - Kobe Bryant

jjdee
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
2009 NBA Champs - Los Angeles Lakers
Finals MVP - Kobe Bryant / Pau Gasol :)

coreytaylor
06-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I believe in Magic! ;)

fujima04
06-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Lakers in 5 games!

Lakers! Lakers! Lakers! ;D

Dark Knight
06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Its Magic or i'll marry an aardvark.

pio_valenz
06-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Got to believe in Magic! Tell me how two people find each other...

My gut feel tells me Orlando in 6.

fujima04
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Its Magic or i'll marry an aardvark.

Pareng Dark Knight,

Pwede ka na mamanhikan sa parents ng aardvark. ;D

Lakers in 5.

Lakers! Lakers! Lakers!

arjay_g
06-04-2009, 05:49 AM
to coreytaylor (threadstarter):

sana ginawan mo pala ng poll yung simula nito.... ang saya sana nun. Hehehe ;D

tigerman
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
The Lakers brought the Magic back to earth with a 25-point rout and spoiled Nelson's return. Black Mamba led the way with 40-8-8 and the Magic shooters struggled all-game long.

Stan Van Gundy must be in a dilemma right now regarding Bryant. If he insists on using Lee or even Redick, Bryant would just use his superior size, strength and experience over them. If he puts in either Pietrus or Turkuglu, both players are way too slow especially on those pick and roll situations.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

atenean_blooded
06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
The Magic are the best defensive team in the league, or so the pundits said.

The Lakers are clearly no pushover when it comes to defense.

Game 1 came down to whose offense was better, and in Game 1, offense was in favor of the Lakers. As much as the Magic tried to contain them, the Lakers still reached 100 points (they're supposed to have some sort of win streak whenever they have 100 or more points, I think), even if 40% of the production came from Bryant. The Magic were pretty stunned and couldn't shoot for stretches.

The Magic had things going their way when the Lakers' offense was tight, and when the LA bigs couldn't buy buckets. They even had things going their way when Bynum was saddled with foul trouble. Thing is, they seemed pretty unprepared when Kobe began his scoring binge, which also allowed his other teammates to score.

The Lakers didn't really seem to do anything special about Dwight Howard. He was able to score, but was outscored by Bryant.

Also, Game 1 shows the other key advantage LA has over Orlando: Bench depth. Phil Jackson has more personnel that can man the paint, and these personnel aren't exactly pansies.

If the following games are anything like Game 1, or the last game of the Lakers-Nuggets series, expect the Finals to be done quickly, and in the Lakers' favor.

mighty_lion
06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
This series is far from over. Mas nagagalingan ako kay Vangundy pagdating sa X and O's kesa kay Phil. The next two games would be interesting.

aircanda
06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Lakers in Six..

MVP.. Bryant! ;D

Howard.. Madame ka pang taon.. Bigay mo na kay Kobe to.. ;D

stonecold316
06-06-2009, 12:54 AM
If Kobe maintains his shooting touch, Orlando is in big trouble.
The magic is in a quandry on how to defend the 2008 MVP. If they double team him, Bryant has the ability to find his team mates open for easy shots just like what happened in Game 1. Result, he registered eight assists in the ball game.

Let's see whether or not the Magic can adjust in Game 2.

coreytaylor
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Orlando is now down in the series, 0-2. Everybody needs to step up aside from Hedu and Rashard if they want to win this series. Dwight can't do anything much in offense because of the double team. Coach Stan should also make a lot of defensive adjustments. Geez they gave the Lakers too many open looks in Game 2.

atenean_blooded
06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
As expected, the Lakers took Game 2. ;D

And, as expected, the game was tough, and required extra time. The Magic had a lot going for them: Their outside shooting was working, Dwight Howard actually had a game to speak of, the Lakers' bigs were in foul trouble, and Kobe wasn't having a very good game (his standards, of course). The Magic managed to keep the game close and nose ahead because of their shooting, and even stopped what would have been a game winner by Kobe thanks to a great block by Turkoglu. Of course, the Lakers had their share of spurts and managed to nose ahead too, and when it came down to execution in the endgame, they managed to score and defend better. As if the Lakers' asserting their poise wasn't enough, the Magic lost due to end-game gaffes by Lee, and yes, due to their 20 turnovers.

As some pundits have put it, Orlando may not get a better chance to beat LA. I think that if they want a shot of beating LA, they have to do what every team that's beaten LA decisively thus far has done: They've got to dump LA early on and erect a huge lead that will force the Lakers into spending their energy on playing catch-up. If they can't do that, and if the Lakers start off hot in game 3, the Magic will be in a lot of trouble. Not only is LA a good defensive team, but again, they've still got more offensive options than the Magic, a deeper bench, and they have the current best player in the league in Kobe Bryant (Lebron what?). A lot of people have said that the Magic beating the Cavs makes them the likely team to beat LA. Thing is, the Lakers are not the Cavs: They're far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far better.

arjay_g
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Sayang yung mga tira ni Courtney Lee. He made great moves to free himself and both had chances to go in too. It just wasn't for him.

I don't remember if it was JVG or Mark Jackson who praised Stan for keeping Reddick in the game during the crucial moments of the 4th. After all Reddick had just hit a crucial 3pointer. As it turns out Reddick would also contribute to the loss with a missed wide open 3 pointer and a very costly turnover in OT.

yungha
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
i had the fortune of once watching an orlando game and redick is awesome during warmups. he can drain 10-15 3-pointers in a row, as easily as making a layup. i saw him make around 12 or 13 straight, miss one, then start another streak. if only he were as good in games as in warmups. that was a w i d e open 3 that could've given them a 4-point lead. sayang talaga. redick's a vet so inexperience is no excuse for that miss. he choked on that one.

at least this game gave orlando fans proof that the magic can hang with the mighty lakers, that they belong on the same court. kaya pa yan. remember miami in 2006.

dream2babedan
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
i think this championship will go up to Game 7.. But then, lakers will still be the ultimate champion!
Go Los Angeles Lakers!!!

atenean_blooded
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
i had the fortune of once watching an orlando game and redick is awesome during warmups. he can drain 10-15 3-pointers in a row, as easily as making a layup. i saw him make around 12 or 13 straight, miss one, then start another streak. if only he were as good in games as in warmups. that was a w i d e open 3 that could've given them a 4-point lead. sayang talaga. redick's a vet so inexperience is no excuse for that miss. he choked on that one.

I remember watching Redick play for the blue and white (the best colors, of course) when he was still a member of Duke's team. He was pretty awesome as a shooter, and if I remember correctly, there was once even a recap which showed his shots from beyond the 3-point line. And the slow-mo reruns of the shots showed a pretty scary thing: Redick can maintain his shooting form even when shooting farther than normal, as seen in how he'd pull up and take a shot from half-court.

I have no idea what happened to him in Orlando, though. He seems pretty rusty, or at least, rustier than I remember.

at least this game gave orlando fans proof that the magic can hang with the mighty lakers, that they belong on the same court. kaya pa yan. remember miami in 2006.

I agree to some extent, but would like to point out that this year's Lakers are not the team that Miami faced, and the Magic this year don't seem to be like the Heat of 2006 (which had Shaq, Wade, etc.).

tigerman
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I have no idea what happened to him in Orlando, though. He seems pretty rusty, or at least, rustier than I remember.

The same reason why many consider Renren Ritualo now as overrated. Both are one-sided players with nothing to offer aside from perimeter shooting.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

nash_bedista
06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
weakest link of Orlando in this series?

Pointguard:

why?

alston doesn't shoot the ball wall
from the outside..

nelson, except in 2nd q of game 1
so-so performance in the series(of course bothered by shoulder injury)

arjay_g
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
^ I'd have to agree

As much as I like Jameer Nelson and respect his eagerness to help his team, his comeback disrupted Stan's rotation which worked out for the Magic in the playoffs. Rafer's a streaky shooter who needs his minutes to find his range and be effective. Stan has to make a decision regarding his PGs and commit to that.

arjay_g
06-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Orlando wins game3!

5 guys finished in double figures for the Magic: Rafer Alston, Mikael Pietrus, Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu, and Rashard Lewis.

Alston finally got his game going as Derek Fisher struggled to keep up with him. Pietrus also had his shot going for him including on a fastbreak drive after a double-dribble violation which the refs missed ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
The key for Orlando in winning game 3 was the offensive output of their guards, Pietrus and Alston The Magic guards were non-existent in the first two games until today.

For the Lakers, the key will still be Lamar Odom. Odom just woke up at the fourth quarter of game 3. Without Odom, the Lakers will have a hard time winning.

Courtney Lee did a splendid job guard Kobe in the 2nd half.

Btw, when was the last time a rookie started in the NBA Finals? ???

atenean_blooded
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Good game by the Magic, and a halfway-decent game for the Lakers by their own standards.

I was particularly impressed with how much team effort the Magic exerted in order to answer every run made by the Lakers. I was also impressed with the output by the Magic guards.

LA actually made several runs in the third and fourth quarters. Thing is, they started trying to make a run for things rather late. If they had managed to spark their run earlier in the fourth, I think they would've taken the lead and would have prevented the Magic from escaping with the win.

Another thing the Lakers should have done differently was to stop going to Kobe in crunchtime, seeing that he was playing another sub-par game.

Actually, the Lakers' shooting was terrible throughout the game, except for Gasol and the occasional trey from Bryant.

For the next game, I wonder if the Magic will mix it up even more to become more unpredictable, because the Lakers will learn from their mistakes (about time they finally figured out that teams really like to run the pick-and-roll against them).

As for the Lakers, if they come out hot in the next game, they will likely take a step closer to the crown.

cub
06-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Nelson should have fouled Fisher and sent the latter to the line to shoot 2fts. Hindi na sana nag OT. Poor decision by the coaching staff.

atenean_blooded
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Magic lost, as expected. ;D

Great shooting by Fish. I can't believe that some LA fans were actually hoping he was removed from the team. What he did today shows how valuable he really is.

Another sub-par game by Kobe, but he was pretty instrumental in getting the Lakers going in overtime.

Good thing the Lakers were able to handle their foul trouble.

The Magic were having a pretty good game until the Lakers came out strong in the third quarter, where they outscored the Magic, 30-14. The Magic were keeping things afloat in the fourth, but bad decisions, missed free throws from Howard, and clutch shots by the Lakers paved the way for overtime.

That last foul by Pietrus against Pau Gasol was dangerous, hurtful, and utterly classless. Sure, there's this "unwritten code" about not shooting anymore in the dying moments if victory's assured, but that shouldn't stop someone from scoring, especially if it's to put the exclamation point on an emphatic win (that "universal code" is a load of crap when considered together with the idea of a "killer instinct," yes?). Besides, it's not as if the Lakers were up by double digits. You could also tell Pietrus' shameless act of treachery was really just to spite Gasol, as seen in his even being adamant when Pau confronted him. Pietrus should be suspended. Of course, Pau, in hindsight, should think about whether or not taking a shot was appropriate.

With the Lakers up 3-1, things look even more grim for the Magic, because they now have to win ALL the remaining games, which is in theory possible, but in reality unlikely. I guess both teams will be fired up in Game 5, but that might very well be the day the series ends.

The_Big_Cat
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I can't believe that Stan Van Gundy stuck with Jameer Nelson in the 4th quarter. And what did Jameer Nelson did? He gave up a game-tying 3-point shot to Derek Fisher to force overtime. Jameer Nelson also gave up another 3-point shot in the overtime to seal the Lakers' overtime victory.

Rafer Alston had a fabulous game 3 which was a big factor for Orlando's victory. Having Rafer sit the entire 4th & OT is definitely a questionable decision by Van Gundy.

atenean_blooded
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I can't believe that Stan Van Gundy stuck with Jameer Nelson in the 4th quarter. And what did Jameer Nelson did? He gave up a game-tying 3-point shot to Derek Fisher to force overtime. Jameer Nelson also gave up another 3-point shot in the overtime to seal the Lakers' overtime victory.

Rafer Alston had a fabulous game 3 which was a big factor for Orlando's victory. Having Rafer sit the entire 4th & OT is definitely a questionable decision by Van Gundy.

Nelson also disgusted a lot of viewers with that stupid habit he has of playing with that mouthpiece of his.

arjay_g
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM

In fairness to Nelson, he wasn't able to defend Fish on that 3pointer during OT coz he was elbowed by Kobe (and which should have been an offensive foul).

However, there was no forgiving him letting Fisher take that 3pointer in regulation. He should have stuck closer to Fish and make the latter dribble more. As Mark Jackson said during the broadcast: "what the hell was he doing standing behind the 3 point line?"

Mikael Pietrus will likely be suspended for game 5. It was obvious that he was intending to do some damage. Time for Courtney Lee to step up once more.

joelex
06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Have to agree that Nelson didnt do anything to warrant the benching of Alston. Talk about deflating the guy's confidence after being instrumental in that game 3 win.

I would like to hear from SVG on what made him stick to Jameer the whole 4Q and OT.

tigerman
06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
In fairness to Nelson, he did make the right decisions (except for the Fisher three) in the 4th quarter. He had at least 3 good passes including one which resulted to an easy dunk for Dwight. He also helped Lewis for a wide open trey from a secondary break but the latter failed to convert.

At the end of the day, Orlando had only themselves to blame for the loss - turnovers and missed fts.

On the other hand, LA showed their poise, composure and resilience - 3 important components of a championship team.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

stonecold316
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Derek Fisher is Mr. Big Shot in Game 4.
He's two important three's carried the Lakers to victory.
However, it was Orlando's inability to shoot free throws that sealed their doom.

Hope the Lakers can close out the Finals on Sunday (Monday in Manila).

coreytaylor
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
If only Dwight made those 2 free.... nevermind >:(

dark_seid
06-12-2009, 10:01 PM
at the press release, stan basically said that their philosophy was not to foul when game clock is more than 6 seconds with a 3-point lead.
that's fair -- to each coach his/her own terms/dictates.

the question is why they're double-teaming people and not sticking to their man like glue especially if in the 3point area.
puzzling.

fujima04
06-13-2009, 03:11 AM
The ways things are going, it appears that hilaw pa talaga ang Magic this year.

Maybe in the years to come but certainly not this year.

Mapapaos lang sila kakasigaw ng Beat L.A. but this year belongs to the Lakers.

Lakers at 5.

arjay_g
06-13-2009, 05:59 AM
at the press release, stan basically said that their philosophy was not to foul when game clock is more than 6 seconds with a 3-point lead.
that's fair -- to each coach his/her own terms/dictates.

the question is why they're double-teaming people and not sticking to their man like glue especially if in the 3point area.
puzzling.

I don't know if SVG realized it but they were not in the penalty at that time. One foul would have stopped the clock, make the Lakers inbound the ball again and the Magic could have set-up their defense once more. But yeah, I guess that was Stan's call.

Personally still, I think this was more of Nelson's blunder than Stan's. Given that the instruction was not to foul, he still should have kept close to Fish.

cub
06-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Nelson should have fouled Fisher and sent the latter to the line to shoot 2fts. Hindi na sana nag OT. Poor decision by the coaching staff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AllhfUf_RQ9An0mn9xEfZNy8vLYF?slug=dw-vangundy061209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
this is what I'm talking about. tsk tsk tsk.

coreytaylor
06-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Dear God, Please help Orlando win the series! :) May pag-asa pa! :)

atenean_blooded
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
LAKERS WIN, AS EXPECTED! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great performances from Bryant, Ariza, Odom, and Gasol.

Magic lost will to fight after being dumped in the second quarter.

MonL
06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
^Boneheads let games slip away. To come this far only to crash and burn.

atenean_blooded
06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I guess that proves the value of experience. An interesting article I read said that while it might be remotely true that the Magic could've been the ones up 3-1, it was the Lakers' poise and experience that allowed them to execute better down the stretch. Another interesting thing was whenever the Magic threw their best pick-and-roll and other pieces of amazing ball movement at the Lakers, all LA would do was respond with a simple variety of plays, most of them being reruns of some sort of isolation play for Kobe. I guess that also proves how much of a factor he is in the game. And today, even if Kobe did carry the bulk of the scoring load, the huge runs were sparked by efforts by Ariza and Odom, which show that LA is far from being a one-man team. And while Orlando's got great defense, the Lakers are no pushover, and have better offensive options than the Magic.

Sayang, if only the Magic got their game going in the third. The dynamic of the fourth quarter would've changed if the game was closer, or if the Magic were only down by single digits at the start of the fourth.

And in a slightly related, college-basketball-season-is-almost-upon-us note, it also proves na hindi porke naka blue and white ka, e magaling ka na. :)

flsfnoeraekadad
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Sarap ng championship. Ngayon yung green and white naman ;D

coreytaylor
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Congrats Kobe! You finally won a championship w/o Shaq! Awh!

tigerman
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Congrats to the Lakers. Same goes to Kobe. I may not be your fan but I truly commend your leadership.

Meanwhile, Phil Jackson has passed the great late Red Auerbach NBA history for most titles as a head coach with 10.

The season is over but not for Otis Smith and Mitch Kupchak. ;D They will have their hands full as regards off-season moves concerning Turkulgu, Alston, Ariza and Odom.

As for Smith: Can they re-sign Hedo to a deserving contract? Rashard's huge contract might prejudice the said transaction. What does the future hold for Skip my lou? Can he play back-up to Nelson?

As for Kupchak: Ariza played extremely well especially in the playoffs. His value definitely skyrocketed. Are the Lakers willing to give more money? How about Odom?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Meanwhile, Phil Jackson has passed the great late Red Auerbach NBA history for most titles as a head coach with 10.

surpassed pala dapat. sorry.

atenean_blooded
06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
And there's an article on ESPN about Shaq being traded to Cleveland.

Ayos. Whenever they may meet in the finals, you won't just get to see Kobe and the Lakers beat Lebron, you'll also get to see Kobe and the Lakers beat Shaq. ;D

The Kobe haters will probably go into paroxyms of ecstasy when it comes to such a match-up. :)

john_paul_manahan
06-16-2009, 05:49 AM
Congrats, LA.

stonecold316
06-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Congrats Kobe and LA.
15 titles in 30 Finals appearance.
Congratulations also to Lakers head coach Phil Jackson for winning his 10th NBA title as a coach.
Sana next year manalo uli sila.