PDA

View Full Version : Cracks within the Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas Now Starting

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Here's the latest regarding the SBP.
It seems that the old specter of Philippine Basketball has started to haunt us again.

I hope this doesn't affect our National Teams Preparations and at the same time it doesn't snowball anymore that this is just an isolated case. It's difficult to think of a scenario when SBP's nemesis which is the BAP will join forces with those malcontents to bring down once again the current basketball NSA.

I also don't want to see a scenario in which the major basketball stakeholders like the PBA to distance itself from the SBP or use this issue to pressure the SBP.

Once again politics and nepotism has plague our beloved sport.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++

Jorge quits SBP, reveals crack in cage body

05/12/2009
Daily Tribune
Simply, he was fed up.

Nic Jorge, pioneer of youth basketball clinics in the country as founding president of the Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center (Best Center), has resigned from the board of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) over claims the group has taken the same path as its predecessor, the disgraced Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP), which he fought for years before it was disenfranchised by no less than the Fiba (International Basketball Federation).

Jorge, who was among the very few basketball officials who led the fight against the BAP during the years when its officials misrepresented themselves as torchbearers of the sport in the country, helped organize the SBP along with several other key stakeholders who chose business magnate Manny Pangilinan as the SBP president.

Jorge, secretary general of the BAP Inc. (BAPI), the legally-recognized association that was misrepresented by what was then simply known as the BAP, also sacrificed his stake over claims as the legitimate national sport association (NSA) for basketball when he cooperated with other stakeholders in organizing Basketball Philippines, which was later transformed into the SBP.

Jorge, however, said several cliques have began to sprout within the SBP.

“They isolated the legitimate, legally elected and appointed officials from the SBP leadership. It’s now reminiscent of the old BAP when the ‘bata-bata’ system was the order of the day,” Jorge said.

Jorge also claimed a powerful group within the SBP has insulated Pangilinan from legitimate concerns that officials like him would have raised before the SBP chief.

“Hindi kami makalapit sa presidente namin. Naging sila-sila, kami-kami ang tendency ng SBP leadership,” Jorge revealed, exposing the deep crack that has long been hidden by various publicity and public relations campaign generating from SBP.

Jorge particularly hit former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) commissioner Noli Eala, who was appointed SBP executive director by Pangilinan shortly after he was asked to resign by the PBA board after a moral question was raised against him that also led to his disbarment as a lawyer.

“Parang may grand design para alisin kaming lahat na nagtrabaho para mabuo ang SBP. First they isolated Moying Martelino, who is no doubt, the greatest basketball mind in the country, leading to his resignation. Then marami pang iba ang nawala,” Jorge said.

Jorge, himself, was replaced as chairman of the Youth Commission, by Eala.

It was an arbitrary decision, according to Jorge, who was never informed of the decision as he was in a business trip to the United States when Pangilinan announced his removal.

“Eala wanted to appoint me to what he claimed was a higher position. He told me, ‘byahe ka na lang, Nic,’ as if my involvement in the SBP was all about trips. I’m sorry, but I have invested in basketball so much, not because of the trips, which he has had aplenty since his appointment, but because of my commitment to the sport,” Jorge said.

Jorge also hit Eala for the sacking of other officials, many of them coming from the group which resisted the leadership of the old BAP under Chinese citizen Graham Lim.

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Trouble brewing at the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas?
05/11/2009 | 05:17 PM
-GMANews.TV

MANILA, Philippines – Trouble appears to be brewing at the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) as one of the major players during the group's formation, has left the association.

Nic Jorge, who pioneered youth basketball clinics in the country and one of the stakeholders who stood up against the old Basketball Association of the Philippines, tendered his resignation as SBP board member over a disagreement with executive director Noli Eala.

In his letter to SBP president Manny Pangilinan dated May 2, Jorge said he could no longer take what he called unilateral decisions being made by Eala.

“It’s now reminiscent of the old BAP when the bata-bata system was the order of the day," said Jorge.

The former national coach said he does not question the leadership of Pangilinan, whom he described “commendable and exception." However, Jorge said he could not say the same thing on Eala, whom he said has replaced key individuals who fought against the BAP.

“I hope you have taken notice of the sudden changes in the composition of the SBP. Messrs. “Moying" Martelino and “Danny" Soria are gone. Rolly Omampo and Levy Valenzuela, two highly respected international referees have been eased out of their places in the Referees Commission. And lately, I was also arbitrarily removed by the SBP executive director Noli Eala from the Youth Commission," explained Jorge.

He said could have taken his ouster in stride had Eala talked to him but he felt slighted by its timing. He was axed from his post while he was in the US and attending to personal and business dealings.

Jorge expressed belief that what Eala is doing is wrong since as elected officials, SBP officers enjoy the trust of the other members of the association.

“Mr. Eala may have his reasons, but we also have ours why we would rather work outside of the SBP. I could be wrong, but I may share the same sentiments with these former and present SBP officials who have been victims of or are being currently victimized by the power plays and jockeying for your (Pangilinan’s) good graces that transpire within the SBP," Jorge said.

He wished Pangilinan all the best in his quest for basketball excellence but at the same time asked him to immediately take a closer look at the alleged wrongdoings made by Eala that he warned may ultimately lead to a divided SBP.

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 12:29 AM
B]Jorge quits SBP post, slams Eala
Malaya
5/12/2009[/B]

NIC Jorge, pioneer of youth basketball clinics in the country and founding president of the Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center, has resigned as a board member of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, saying the association has started to take the same path that led to the downfall of its predecessor, the Basketball Association of the Philippines.

Jorge, who was among the few basketball officials who fought the BAP head-on during the crisis years of basketball in the country, helped organize the SBP along with other key stakeholders who later chose business magnate Manny V. Pangilinan as the SBP president.

In his resignation letter addressed to Pangilinan, Jorge said several cliques have begun to sprout within the SBP.

"They isolated the legitimate and legally elected and appointed officials from the SBP leadership. It’s now reminiscent of the old BAP when the ‘bata-bata’ system was the order of the day," he said.

Jorge also said a group within the SBP has insulated Pangilinan from legitimate concerns, preventing him from meeting officials who have concerns to raise.

"Hindi kami makalapit sa presidente namin. Naging sila-sila, kami-kami ang tendency ng SBP leadership," Jorge revealed, adding he has opened a proverbial Pandora’s Box within the middle echelon of the SBP leadership.

In particular, Jorge slammed SBP Executive Director Noli Eala who, he said, appears to have a grand design to remove all elected officials of the SBP and replace them with his own people. Eala, who was asked to resign by the PBA board over a moral issue, was not available for comment yesterday.

"Parang may grand design para alisin kaming lahat na nagtrabaho para mabuo ang SBP. First, they isolated Moying Martelino, leading to his resignation. Then marami pang iba ang nawala," said Jorge, who was arbitrarily replaced as chairman of the Youth Commission by Eala.

Jorge claimed he was never informed of Eala’s decision. He was on a business trip to the United States when Pangilinan announced his removal.

"Eala wanted to appoint me to what he claimed was a higher position. He told me, ‘Byahe ka na lang, Nic,’ as if my involvement in the SBP is all about trips. I’m sorry, but we have invested in basketball so much, not because of the trips, which he has had aplenty since his appointment, but because of my commitment to the sport," Jorge said.

Jorge added Eala was also behind the sacking of other SBP officials, many of them coming from the group that resisted the leadership of the old BAP led by Graham Lim.
"Iniisa-isa kami. Kung hindi nila tinatanggal, ina-isolate nila, like in the cases of international referees like Rolly Omampo and Levy Valenzuela. Time will come na walang matitira sa amin dyan, puro mga appointees na lang ni Eala ang nasa SBP," Jorge lamented.

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Jorge, BEST founder, quits Samahang Basketbol board
Updated May 12, 2009 12:00 AM
Philstar

MANILA, Philippines – Nic Jorge, founding president of the long-running Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center (Best Center), has resigned from the board of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) over claims the group has taken the same path as its predecessor, the Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP).

“They have isolated the legitimate and legally elected and appointed officials from the SBP leadership. It’s now reminiscent of the old BAP when the “bata-bata” system was the order of the day,” Jorge said.

He claimed a powerful group within the SBP has insulated business tycoon and SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan from legitimate concerns that officials like him would have raised before the SBP chief.

Jorge, one of the very few cage officials who fought the old BAP when its officials misrepresented themselves as representatives of the sport in the country, helped organize the SBP along with several other key stakeholders who chose Pangilinan as the SBP president.

Jorge particularly hit former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) commissioner Noli Eala, who was appointed SBP executive director by Pangilinan.

“It’s as if they have a grand design to kick out those who worked hard to put up the SBP,” said Jorge, referring to long-time cage official Moying Martelino and international referees Rolly Omampo and Levy Valenzuela, who were all removed from the SBP.

Jorge, himself, was replaced as chairman of the Youth Commission, by Eala.

It was an arbitrary decision, according to Jorge, who was never informed of the move as he was in a business trip to the US when Pangilinan announced his removal.

“Eala wanted to appoint me to what he claimed was a higher position. He told me, ‘byahe ka na lang (go on trips) Nic,’ as if my involvement in the SBP is all about trips. I’m sorry, but we have invested in basketball so much, not because of the trips but because of my commitment to the sport,” Jorge said.

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Cracks within SBP surface as Jorge resigns
People's Journal
5/12/2009

NIC Jorge, pioneer of youth basketball clinics in the country as founding president of the Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center (Best Center) has resigned from the board of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) over claims the group has taken the same path as its predecessor, the disgraced Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP).

Jorge, who was among the very few basketball officials who fought the BAP head-on during the years when its officials misrepresented themselves as representatives of the sport in the country, helped organize the SBP along with several other key stakeholders who chose business magnate Manny V. Pangilinan as the SBP president.

Jorge, secretary general of the BAP, Inc., also sacrificed his stake over claims as the legitimate national sport association (NSA) for basketball when he cooperated with other stakeholders in organizing Basketball Philippines, which was later transformed into the SBP.

Jorge, however, said several cliques have began to sprout within the SBP.

“They isolated the legitimate and legally elected and appointed officials from the SBP leadership. It’s now reminiscent of the old BAP when the “bata-bata” system was the order of the day,” Jorge said.

Jorge also claimed a powerful group within the SBP has insulated Pangilinan from legitimate concerns that officials like him would have raised before the SBP chief.

“Hindi kami makalapit sa presidente namin. Naging sila-sila, kami-kami ang tendency ng SBP leadership,” Jorge revealed, exposing the deep crack that has long been covered by various publicity and public relations campaign generating from SBP.

Jorge particularly hit former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Commissioner Noli Eala, who was appointed SBP executive director by Pangilinan shortly after he was asked to resign by the PBA board after a moral question was raised against him that led to his disbarment as a lawyer.

“Parang may grand design para alisin kaming lahat na nagtrabaho para mabuo ang SBP. First they isolated Moying Martelino, leading to his resignation. Then marami pang iba ang nawala,” Jorge said.

pachador
05-12-2009, 01:04 AM
positively speaking, the only good reason i can think of why Eala would do this is because this officials are 'slow' or not doing this jobs. if this is true then Eala is just running SBP like a corporate entity for greater efficiency.

The problem is that SBP being a national sports association will always have a political aspect to it, specifically, appointing people more for their connections to hold SBP together for the sake of unity. If this was the case then why doesnt Eala appoint efficient assistants to do the field work for this political 'slow' appointees while keeping the oldies for symbolic 'unity' reason ? its not a perfect solution but more of a compromise. Later on, when all the old dinosaurs have died then, Yes, the SBP can be run more along efficient corporate lines.

Now, negatively speaking, I am worried if the reason for the removal of this officials was not for efficiency but more for apointing friends and kiss-azz type people.

digitalsuperman
05-12-2009, 06:36 AM
actually BAP never worked because of the old people running it. in politix its called trapo. eala might have made a good choice removing the oldies. jorge isnt young anymore and being at B.E.S.T, you need to cope with the pressure and travel more within the country to scout for potential players and train them.

fujitsu
05-12-2009, 07:33 AM
oi, member pala ng board ng sbp c sir nick jorge. ???

CrossOver
05-12-2009, 07:33 AM
iyaking matanda ::) tama na pamumulitika talagang kailangan ka ng tanggalin ginamit mo pa media sus! Sanay na kami diyan marunong na kaming mag-isip ;D papalit ka na sa bata mas malawak mag-isip ;)

korn666333
05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
iyaking matanda ::) tama na pamumulitika talagang kailangan ka ng tanggalin ginamit mo pa media sus! Sanay na kami diyan marunong na kaming mag-isip ;D papalit ka na sa bata mas malawak mag-isip ;)

hahaha uu tama ka don sir, mukhang may gugulo sa SBP ah. hmmmm

korn666333
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
naman o, wala kami paki sa mga pamolitika jan gusto namin malaman kung san pwede mapanuod laro ng RP team gilas, what channel ba po? or kahit sa radio or website na may update sa every game

joelex
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
sabi na ngang mala BAP lang ang SBP. Dahan dahan din yan lilitaw. Ang mga ayaw maniwala pasensya na lang.

digitalsuperman
05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
masasabi kong malayong magkahalintulad ang BAP atsaka SBP dahil hindi ko nakita yung mga programa nang mga SBP habang naka upo ang mga taga BAP. ngayon lang talaga nagkaroon nang konkretong programa para sa basketbol. nuon ang BAP eh talagang dependent sa PBA. alam nilang pupunta sa wala pag palaging nakadepende sa PBA pero wala silang ginawa. pero ngayon meron nang programang pangmatagalan para sa basketbol. siguro naman mas maganda naman siguro na pina alis si jorge dahil masyado na siyang oldies at mas maganda na bigyan naman nang chance yung mga batang coaches or mga new generation coaches para maglead nang B.E.S.T center.. eh kung para saan pa kung siya ang nagtraining dun. eka nga, You cant teach old dogs new tricks. pano nya matuturuan nang magandang training yung mga bata nating manglalaro pag mga classic methods yung ginagamit nya..tsk.tsk. IMHO.

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
sabi na ngang mala BAP lang ang SBP. Dahan dahan din yan lilitaw. Ang mga ayaw maniwala pasensya na lang.

kung national basketball program lang ang paguusapan..walang wala ang BAP..

sa tingin ko mukhang clash of egos lang ito..

Kid Cubao
05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
para sa akin, wala namang organisasyong walang pulitikahan. tanggapin na natin yan, magkakabarkada nga lang, may mga nililihim sa tampo at di pagkakaunawaan sa ilan-ilang bagay. bottom line is that, overall, the mechanism is finally in order, we have a coherent program and measurable key result areas for reclaiming our old standing, and that FIBA recognizes the SBP as the official NSA for basketball in the philippines, and as such, we can send national squads to compete in regional and international tournaments.

thadzonline
05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I think first, we have to verify whether yung mga positions ay appointed or elected ang nakaupo. If it was by election, kailan ba matatapos term nila and has there been new elections for new officers to these positions. Kung appointed, ibang usapan na yon.

I have always been a skeptic whether it be BAP or SBP. So far kasi, hindi ko pa nararamdaman ang genuine grassroots development sa basketball. Totoong may mga programa, but sometimes they appear to only isolate the countryside more than integrate everything into a national program

D_I_A
05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I think first, we have to verify whether yung mga positions ay appointed or elected ang nakaupo. If it was by election, kailan ba matatapos term nila and has there been new elections for new officers to these positions. Kung appointed, ibang usapan na yon.

I have always been a skeptic whether it be BAP or SBP. So far kasi, hindi ko pa nararamdaman ang genuine grassroots development sa basketball. Totoong may mga programa, but sometimes they appear to only isolate the countryside more than integrate everything into a national program

i agree, pero hopefully yung NBTC will really serve as the spring board towards a national grassroots development program.

digitalsuperman
05-12-2009, 08:16 PM
actually yung NBTC naman talaga yung grassroots program natin eh..ewan ko lang bat sinasabi na walang grassroots program.

thadzonline
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
problem with NBTC, mukhang nagiging farm team ng NCR teams. If we want a genuine grassroots program, the NBTC should be in place to improve the level of competition in the countryside and not weed out whatever talent is left in the countryside. Nakakatawa nga that a lot of Manila schools already have Team C's while those talents could have played for provincial teams and raise the bar of competitions elsewhere.

digitalsuperman
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
hmmm..i really can't follow your point.

the fact is. NBTC is a grassroots program. regardless if the manila teams are recruiting from VISMIN, the fact is those boys are from the province hence, grassroots nga. there is nothing wrong with weeding out talents fron the country side. wala naman talaga masama don eh sa tingin ko. nandun kasi sa manila yung mga technology nila at iba pang kailangan. now, alam ko na sasabihin mo na dapat idevelop yung sa country side para ma stop na yung exodus patungong maynila blah blah blah. ok i got your point and i've read it somewhere here. but the fact is, nasa manila yung competition talaga eh, yung mga bata sa province pupunta don para mag hone nang skills nila.. and upgrading the technology in the country-side is so costly for now. why not the kids go to manila, get sponsor scholarships from a reputable school atsaka dun dudukitin nang NBTC. wala naman talang mawawala sa grassroots program pag ganun ang mangyayari eh. grassroots parin yun.

now if you go back to your old topic na keso yung mga manlalaro sa probinsya kinukuha nang manila schools. eh wala naman talagang magagawa dun eh. kaya yung mga players pupunta don sa maynila ay dahil nag excel na sila sa province nila. pagnagstay sila, wala nang competition dun wala na silang improvemnt. magiging stagnant na yung player.. to be the best, you have to play against or with the best ika nga.

just my two cents :D

digitalsuperman
05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
hmmmm...teka..nagiging out of topic na ata ako ah..hehe... pasensya nah mga mods ;D

thadzonline
05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
hmmm..i really can't follow your point.

the fact is. NBTC is a grassroots program. regardless if the manila teams are recruiting from VISMIN, the fact is those boys are from the province hence, grassroots nga. there is nothing wrong with weeding out talents fron the country side. wala naman talaga masama don eh sa tingin ko. nandun kasi sa manila yung mga technology nila at iba pang kailangan. now, alam ko na sasabihin mo na dapat idevelop yung sa country side para ma stop na yung exodus patungong maynila blah blah blah. ok i got your point and i've read it somewhere here. but the fact is, nasa manila yung competition talaga eh, yung mga bata sa province pupunta don para mag hone nang skills nila.. and upgrading the technology in the country-side is so costly for now. why not the kids go to manila, get sponsor scholarships from a reputable school atsaka dun dudukitin nang NBTC. wala naman talang mawawala sa grassroots program pag ganun ang mangyayari eh. grassroots parin yun.

now if you go back to your old topic na keso yung mga manlalaro sa probinsya kinukuha nang manila schools. eh wala naman talagang magagawa dun eh. kaya yung mga players pupunta don sa maynila ay dahil nag excel na sila sa province nila. pagnagstay sila, wala nang competition dun wala na silang improvemnt. magiging stagnant na yung player.. to be the best, you have to play against or with the best ika nga.

just my two cents :D

I get your point. But hopefully, such technology you are talking about should also be spread to the countryside. We cannot be content at iasa na lang lahat ng player development sa NCR. IMHO, some players could have developed better if they saw action in their provincial leagues rather than languish in a Manila school's Team A bench or worse Team B or Team C. You see, better competition level in the provincial leagues can only translate to a more competitive PCCL, we all want that don't we(oh well except if some only want their own school teams to win or preserve the superiority of their leagues).

on Nic Jorge: Is it a way of appeasing the officials of a school whose star player SBP is trying to...(fill in the blanks na lang)..hehehe

D_I_A
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Jorge leaves basketball body
Manila Standard Today
5/12/2009

NIC Jorge, pioneer of youth basketball clinics in the country as founding president of the Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center has resigned from the board of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas over claims the group has taken the same path as its predecessor —the Basketball Association of the Philippines.

Jorge, who was among the very few basketball officials, who fought the BAP head-on during the years when its officials misrepresented themselves as representatives of the sport in the country, helped organize the SBP along with several other key stakeholders, who chose business magnate Manny V. Pangilinan as SBP president.

Jorge, secretary general of the BAP Inc., also sacrificed his stake over claims as the legitimate national sport association for basketball when he cooperated with other stakeholders in organizing Basketball Philippines, which was later transformed into the SBP.

But Jorge said several cliques have begun to sprout within the SBP.

“They isolated the legitimate and legally elected and appointed officials from the SBP leadership. It’s now reminiscent of the old BAP when the ‘bata-bata’ system was the order of the day,” Jorge said.

“Hindi kami makalapit sa presidente namin. Naging sila-sila, kami-kami ang tendency ng SBP leadership,” Jorge revealed, exposing the deep crack that has long been covered by various publicity and public relations campaign generating from the SBP.

Jorge particularly hit former Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Noli Eala, who was appointed SBP executive director by Pangilinan shortly after he was asked to resign by the PBA board after a moral question was raised against him that led to his disbarment as a lawyer.

“Parang may grand design para alisin kaming lahat na nagtrabaho para mabuo ang SBP. First, they isolated Moying Martelino, leading to his resignation. Then marami pang iba ang nawala,” Jorge said.

nardy
05-13-2009, 12:51 AM
if you had worked with Noli Eala, you really have to make a lot of adjustments. You must have a lot of patience. And you must be ready to take the backseat. He has a very strong personality which is actually bordering arrogance. He is not much of a diplomat like his predeccesor Pato Gregorio. He is an action person first, if he thinks what he is doing is right, he would go on do it even before consulting anybody and he is not afraid to step in anyone's feet or does not mince if ever he hurted someone's feelings. He likes the limelight and he would readily release data to the media even though everything is not confirmed yet.

You have to really understand first where Noli is coming from in order to be able to tolerate who he really is.

franz_inwurdz
05-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I get your point. But hopefully, such technology you are talking about should also be spread to the countryside. We cannot be content at iasa na lang lahat ng player development sa NCR.

This should start from within. Alisin muna ang baranggay mentality, or provincial mentality, you have to attract top caliber coaches/trainers from manila. Di pwede puro cebuano/local people ang trainers nyo.

Take Toroman's case for example. We hired him, kasi sa tingin natin malayo na ang technology ng basketball in a global perspective compared to our local perspective.

Take Rudy Fernandez(NBA player) case for example. So pagka baranggay mentality nya, ang kinuha nyang taga-assist sa slam dunk contest eh kapwa nya Espanyol. Pau Gasol is a freaking center, ang dami-dami nyang kakampi sa team nya na makakapasa ng mas maayos. Sira tuloy diskarte nya, sa dami ng attempts di napansin yung ganda ng dunk.
Ok, it's a festival activity, but the point it, with his baranggay mentality, it ruined his chances of excelling in something he could have.

I don't see anybody complaining about the Pacman, training in LA?

If we keep on thinking the same way, we might ruin our chances in excelling in something we could have, pards.

digitalsuperman
05-13-2009, 09:00 AM
^ you said it right my friend.

pasensya na kung off topic.

ganun talaga yun eh.. kung saan maganda yung technology atsaka yung mga methodology dun talaga mag iimprove yung isang indibidual at isang grupo.

take for example yung boxing natin. sa tingin nyo bah maabot ni pacman yung narating nya ngayun kundi siya pumunta sa amerika kay freddie roach? hindi naman siguro. ikumpara mo yan sa mga boxidor nang ALA na andito lang sa cebu.. wala talagang improvement pag di sila pumunta elsewhere to get better training and get new methodologies.

sa case naman nang mga players. yung grassroots nagsisimula kasi sa mga school yan eh. pag yung school meron magandang basketball program atsaka merong support sa school, dun pupunta yung player.

ang problema sa probinsya eh yung mga basketball program. hindi kasi ganun kaganda ang basketball program sa collegiate level compared sa manila kasi andito yung mga magagaling na trainers at yung iba pang kailangan.

ok i know na dapat ibalanse dapat yung mga ganun.pero wala tayong magagawa pag yung mga trainers di pupunta sa probinsya atsaka yung technologies papunta sa probinsya dahil in the first place, andun yung centro sa maynila. so kung ikaw player, pag gusto mo talagang mag improve, punta ka nang maynila hahanap ka nang school scholarship sponsor para iwas gastos.

ganun naman talaga ka simple yun eh. pero magandang tingnan na yung ibang provincial school ay nag improve na yun. isang magandang halimbawa ay ang UV.

maganda ang basketball program nang UV kaso ang priority nang school pag varsity ka eh yung basketbol lang.
halimbawa, si Neil Rañeses ay classmate ko sa college sa philosophy. sa buong sem dalawang beses ko lang nakita sya, magkatabi kami nyan eh.. pero nung natapos ang sem mas malaki pa ata grade nya kesa sakin.

yung lang nakikita kong masama sa basketball program dito sa probinsya.

shyboy
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't trust Noli Eala one bit. The controversies he faced the past months and the lies to try to keep himself clean can attest to that. The SBP may have good intentions and objectives but I don't see this guy fully running in parallel with those intentions. Remove him and the perceived cracks within the SBP might just vanish on its own.

thadzonline
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
@franz & digitalsuperman

There are already steps being taken to bring top-caliber coaches and trainers to spread technology at least in Cebu. USC, for one just recently hired a conditioning coach from Manila. USC's coach Mike Reyes is also an import. Keep in mind most Cebu coaches also once had a stint in the PBA. USC, USC and SWU are also in talks to bring in a US NCAA Division I coaching veteran to do a 6-week clinic in August.

I can speak well enough for Cebu. Cebu's VAAA also spurred development in the neighboring provinces. This year ACSAT of Dumaguete challenged Cebu's ACT for the title. ACSAT would have nowhere near that kind of competition if they stayed in Dumaguete. Now, tell me how many Manila schools are actually willing to face provincial teams and contribute to the growth of basketball nationwide?

You see, the reason why BAP has labored to exist is because of this lack of attention/competition in the provinces.

'Ika nga ni Graham Lim when I interviewed him before, "Why should the focus be on the glamour teams of the UAAP/NCAA? Ang dami na nga nilang competition, that's why BAP is focusing on improving the level of play of the provincial teams by letting them play more games and join more competitions."

We might say barangay level ang tournaments ng BAP, but the beneficiaries of their programs have sure welcomed the opportunity because whether we like it or not, talaga namang many of the provincial teams that we have are actually at that level and they can only get better with more competition. Look at SWU now, they probably are the strongest team in Cebu now after winning back-to-back NSBC titles and stints in 2 international tournaments. They're again set to join a BAP-affiliated international tournament in Manila this June. If you ask me if BAP activities have actually had a positive impact in Cebu, I'd say yes and sadly, it pains me to know that they've had a far more greater impact than SBP's programs at least in the collegiate level(the same could not be said at the age group level)

It's sad to note that but there is some grain of truth to it. If you review my posts before, I have already expressed concern at the SBP leadership and I'm actually not surprised this is happening. And I'll say it again, the key to harmony is to somehow reach a compromise where everyone meets halfway.

thadzonline
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't trust Noli Eala one bit. The controversies he faced the past months and the lies to try to keep himself clean can attest to that. The SBP may have good intentions and objectives but I don't see this guy fully running in parallel with those intentions. Remove him and the perceived cracks within the SBP might just vanish on its own.

I wouldn't say it's only about Eala. I think even the organizational dynamics itself is flawed. Hindi pa nawawala yung padrino system as Jorge claims. Then we want to run it the corporate way. We can't just force it now, change cannot come abruptly, it has to be eased in

thadzonline
05-13-2009, 10:19 AM
1 more thing. Totoo kayang pinalitan si Jorge while he was away? Kung totoo, talaga namang masyadong informal and unprofessional ang pagkakatanggal. We need to know kung ganito ba talaga nangyari

CrossOver
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
kailangan ng magsalita ni Noli Eala about this issue, para naman mas-maunawaan natin ang mga nanyayari. Bago palang naman ang SBP as NSA ng RP Basketball, kailangan iresolba na agad ang mga lamat na ito.

Kid Cubao
05-13-2009, 10:29 AM
1 more thing. Totoo kayang pinalitan si Jorge while he was away? Kung totoo, talaga namang masyadong informal and unprofessional ang pagkakatanggal. We need to know kung ganito ba talaga nangyari

please backread. nic jorge tendered his irrevocable resignation to manny pangilinan.

franz_inwurdz
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
@franz & digitalsuperman
There are already steps being taken to bring top-caliber coaches and trainers to spread technology at least in Cebu. USC, for one just recently hired a conditioning coach from Manila. USC's coach Mike Reyes is also an import. Keep in mind most Cebu coaches also once had a stint in the PBA. USC, USC and SWU are also in talks to bring in a US NCAA Division I coaching veteran to do a 6-week clinic in August.

That's great news. I'm sure the momentum will be sustained, Manila teams will eventually notice the change, scrimages will come in afterwards, PCCL eventually becomes more competitive. In the end, it all boiled down to starting from within.

If that is so, then in your words.....Cebu will soon be a powerhouse indeed. ;D

Hopefully, my visits there in the future will be highlighted not by lechon alone, but by more interesting games to see.

thadzonline
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM

please backread. nic jorge tendered his irrevocable resignation to manny pangilinan.

I was referring to the youth commission position, not as SBP board member

McCoy
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
@franz & digitalsuperman

I can speak well enough for Cebu. Cebu's VAAA also spurred development in the neighboring provinces. This year ACSAT of Dumaguete challenged Cebu's ACT for the title. ACSAT would have nowhere near that kind of competition if they stayed in Dumaguete. Now, tell me how many Manila schools are actually willing to face provincial teams and contribute to the growth of basketball nationwide?

You see, the reason why BAP has labored to exist is because of this lack of attention/competition in the provinces.

'Ika nga ni Graham Lim when I interviewed him before, "Why should the focus be on the glamour teams of the UAAP/NCAA? Ang dami na nga nilang competition, that's why BAP is focusing on improving the level of play of the provincial teams by letting them play more games and join more competitions."

We might say barangay level ang tournaments ng BAP, but the beneficiaries of their programs have sure welcomed the opportunity because whether we like it or not, talaga namang many of the provincial teams that we have are actually at that level and they can only get better with more competition. Look at SWU now, they probably are the strongest team in Cebu now after winning back-to-back NSBC titles and stints in 2 international tournaments. They're again set to join a BAP-affiliated international tournament in Manila this June. If you ask me if BAP activities have actually had a positive impact in Cebu, I'd say yes and sadly, it pains me to know that they've had a far more greater impact than SBP's programs at least in the collegiate level(the same could not be said at the age group level)

It's sad to note that but there is some grain of truth to it. If you review my posts before, I have already expressed concern at the SBP leadership and I'm actually not surprised this is happening. And I'll say it again, the key to harmony is to somehow reach a compromise where everyone meets halfway.

Tama ka dyan kaibigan, kahit sinasabi nilang pam-barangay level ang tournament ng BAP mas naka-focus talaga ang atensyon ng BAP sa mga provicial school league na salungat sa ginagawa ng SBP na UAAP at NCAA lng ang pinapansin (ksi sikat na tournament yun).
ok maganda programa ng SBP pro siguro mas maganda pabayaan nman nila kumilos ang BAP lalo na makakatulong ito sa mga provicial league na pwedeng pang-grassroot program talaga.
magtulungan na lng sila for Phil. basketball sake's willing naman BAP makipag-tulungan sa SBP eh.
bad pa nga ginawa ng SBP sa CESAFI last year, pinag-bantaan ni Eala ito, na hindi makakasali sa SBP organized league ang school na sasali sa National Student Basketball Championship (NSBC) tama ba naman yun!? pro ano napahiya sila, "as in" coz sumali ang UV, SWU, ACT sa tournament. ano sabi ni coach Cabahug ng UV wala silang pakialam sa problema ng BAP at SBP lalaro sila for the sake of Cebuano fans. nag-champion doon ang SWU against UV and blockbuster yun.
den this year ang hinarang naman nila yun mga Manila team pero ganoon pa man natuloy pa rin kahit pro provincial team lang ang sumali. champion ang SWU against U.Cebu. another blockbuster finals again.
magtulungan na lang sila! bahala SBP sa mga major tournament for National team, Liga, NCAA, UAAP den pabayaan nila BAP sa mga minor tournament for schools katulad ng NSBC, National Inter-Club, National Open at iba pa na hindi naman nabibigyan atensyon ng SBP.

McCoy
05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
kailangan ng magsalita ni Noli Eala about this issue, para naman mas-maunawaan natin ang mga nanyayari. Bago palang naman ang SBP as NSA ng RP Basketball, kailangan iresolba na agad ang mga lamat na ito.

nagsisimula ng magpakita ng kulay si Eala, kya natangal sa PBA eh. kung talagang seryoso SBP for baskteball sake's na sinasabi nila. malaking kawalan sa kanila si Nic Jorge malaki na naitulong non sa philippine basketball

thadzonline
05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
responsible democracy is essential in running the affairs of an NSA. Some people should just stop playing god and lend an ear to legitimate concerns instead of leaders waging a propaganda or media smear campaign against each other.

Mateen Cleaves
05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
As Danding Cojuangco and Manny Pangilinan have shown, all we really need to have is a LOT of money. We can buy the best coaches (Jacobs/Toroman), we can put together a team from the cream of the college ranks (NCC/Smart), and have some dollars left over to supplement the locals with imported talent (Jeff Moore et. al./CJ Giles). We might again win an Asian championship with that model. Mabuhay!

Then what? Toroman will leave. Pangilinan will take his money and find some other hobby to pursue. Then Eala will say that his job is done, congratulate himself, and walk away. Leaving the basketball organization to start from scratch -- again. All because Eala and MVP have gone with an "our way or the highway" management style for the NSA. A little inclusiveness would probably go a long way towards sustaining the progress that Philippine basketball has made so far.

D_I_A
05-14-2009, 01:34 AM
@franz & digitalsuperman

Tama ka dyan kaibigan, kahit sinasabi nilang pam-barangay level ang tournament ng BAP mas naka-focus talaga ang atensyon ng BAP sa mga provicial school league na salungat sa ginagawa ng SBP na UAAP at NCAA lng ang pinapansin (ksi sikat na tournament yun).
ok maganda programa ng SBP pro siguro mas maganda pabayaan nman nila kumilos ang BAP lalo na makakatulong ito sa mga provicial league na pwedeng pang-grassroot program talaga.
magtulungan na lng sila for Phil. basketball sake's willing naman BAP makipag-tulungan sa SBP eh.
bad pa nga ginawa ng SBP sa CESAFI last year, pinag-bantaan ni Eala ito, na hindi makakasali sa SBP organized league ang school na sasali sa National Student Basketball Championship (NSBC) tama ba naman yun!? pro ano napahiya sila, "as in" coz sumali ang UV, SWU, ACT sa tournament. ano sabi ni coach Cabahug ng UV wala silang pakialam sa problema ng BAP at SBP lalaro sila for the sake of Cebuano fans. nag-champion doon ang SWU against UV and blockbuster yun.
den this year ang hinarang naman nila yun mga Manila team pero ganoon pa man natuloy pa rin kahit pro provincial team lang ang sumali. champion ang SWU against U.Cebu. another blockbuster finals again.
magtulungan na lang sila! bahala SBP sa mga major tournament for National team, Liga, NCAA, UAAP den pabayaan nila BAP sa mga minor tournament for schools katulad ng NSBC, National Inter-Club, National Open at iba pa na hindi naman nabibigyan atensyon ng SBP.

Graham Lim is that you?

eh di lalong mas naging magulo..hayaan muna natin ang SBP, i believe SBP has better plans compared to the BAP. Kaya lang naman sumusuporta ang mga schools sa BAP kasi round the clock ang pag-linlang ng mga alipores ng BAP na sila ang Basketball NSA

sige pagpalagay na mangyari yung suggestion mo, what happens next? imagine SBP controls the national team program tapos BAP sa grassroots? eh di mas lalong naghatakan ang dalawa, mas lalong umiral ang division sa Philippine basketball.

SBP is the duly recognized basketball body. Wag na nating ipilit ang BAP because it's proven, quality-wise, eh talagang palpak at wala kalidad ang mga laro.

Cebu-based schools particularly CESAFI was blinded by it's pro-BAP league chairman tiukhinoy, pano ba naman kayo matutulungan ng SBP kung parang ahas din na manunuklaw pagkatapos na alagaan.

For me it will always be:

Down with the BAP!!!

joelex
05-14-2009, 03:26 AM
As long as Noli Eala has power within the SBP ranks, we will be assured personal interests once again will prevail for this disgraced ex-PBA commisioner. All along the BAP wanted their place and role in Philippine basketball and didnt mind if the SBP was the majority in power. Masyadong sinwapang ang mga pwesto ni Eala. He will always be known as an SMC boy and more recently, an MVP boy. He has stepped on a lot of people already like Chino Trinidad in the NCAA finals controversy, and we will continue to suffer from this as long as he is there. Pato Gregorio and Nic Jorge saw the light early on, hopefully the Manila-centered SBP supporters cum Basketball analysts will do so soon.

For Philippine basketball to succeed, we should have the same mindset as Boy Cabahug had. Basta laro lang tayo, paki alam natin anong grupo yan. We are all fans at the end of the day.

pachador
05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
it takes a lot of maturity, selflessness and undestanding of human behavior to run organizations that have more political aspects like SBP as compared to corporate organizations that are run more along economic effixiency. Even then, you cannot eliminate politics even in big corporations. dictatorial management style can work if you are the owner of the company since ikaw may-ari e. you can do whatever you like. otherwise, its a slippery slope to creating lots of enemies.

thadzonline
05-14-2009, 11:16 AM
@franz & digitalsuperman

Graham Lim is that you?

eh di lalong mas naging magulo..hayaan muna natin ang SBP, i believe SBP has better plans compared to the BAP. Kaya lang naman sumusuporta ang mga schools sa BAP kasi round the clock ang pag-linlang ng mga alipores ng BAP na sila ang Basketball NSA

sige pagpalagay na mangyari yung suggestion mo, what happens next? imagine SBP controls the national team program tapos BAP sa grassroots? eh di mas lalong naghatakan ang dalawa, mas lalong umiral ang division sa Philippine basketball.

SBP is the duly recognized basketball body. Wag na nating ipilit ang BAP because it's proven, quality-wise, eh talagang palpak at wala kalidad ang mga laro.

Cebu-based schools particularly CESAFI was blinded by it's pro-BAP league chairman tiukhinoy, pano ba naman kayo matutulungan ng SBP kung parang ahas din na manunuklaw pagkatapos na alagaan.

For me it will always be:

Down with the BAP!!!

Kaibigan, naiintindihan ko ang hinanakit mo sa BAP. Sadly, as a Cebuano fan, I wished SBP gave more attention to Cebu such as staging tournaments that will benefit the Cebu schools. Sure we have the VAAA, ang naging problema kasi its sked ran smack to the Partners Cup. Cebu schools needed more games to get better and masakit mang aminin it was BAP who gave them that. SBP should really look into giving more attention in the countryside, that is the only way they can win the support of provincial associations still affiliated with BAP

D_I_A
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Kaibigan, naiintindihan ko ang hinanakit mo sa BAP. Sadly, as a Cebuano fan, I wished SBP gave more attention to Cebu such as staging tournaments that will benefit the Cebu schools. Sure we have the VAAA, ang naging problema kasi its sked ran smack to the Partners Cup. Cebu schools needed more games to get better and masakit mang aminin it was BAP who gave them that. SBP should really look into giving more attention in the countryside, that is the only way they can win the support of provincial associations still affiliated with BAP

i'm with you all the way na sana ang SBP ay talagang maglungsad ng genuine national basketball program

although for the meantime, PCCL at NBTC pa lang ang naisasakatuparan at marami pang kakulangan na dapat punan. gusto ko makita na ang mga lalawigan at rehiyon ay umusad kagaya ng mga programa sa basketball sa NCR at sa Luzon.

pero di lang talaga ako makakasakay sa kagustuhan ng isang kompromiso sa BAP lalo na't ito ang dahilan kaya bumulusok ang bansa sa international competitions

sabi ko nga noon, gusto ko makapanuod ng isang NCR team at Visayas or Mindanao team na maglalaban para sa isang pambansang korona.

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas!!!

Down with the BAP!!!

digitalsuperman
05-14-2009, 04:58 PM
siguro naman magkakahalintulad tayo nang hangarin sa basketbol dito sa pinas..

ako rin gusto kong makita na magkapareho na ang lebel nang mga koponan nang mga collegiate teams dito sa atin sa pinas.naiintindihan ko rin ang hangarin na dapat ay magbigay nang kaukulang pansin hindi lang sa cebu kundi sa buong bansa.

ang siguro hinihingi ko lang ay sana pagbigyan pa natin nang panahon ang SBP. kasisimula lang naman nila. alam ko na alam nila na meron talagang kakulangan nang programa sa VISMIN at siguro naman eh meron na silang mga plano para dito. kaya nga lang eh baka dahan2x pa nilang ginagawa nila yun. di dapat natin sila apurahin. di naman siguro kadali nang mag organize nang ganun.

magandang diskusyon tong nangyayari dito sa forum na ito. sana ay mabasa naman ito nang sa mga kina-uukulan.

Pergi di atas Gilas Pilipinas!!!

thadzonline
05-14-2009, 05:27 PM
whether we like it or not BAP is also a stakeholder ng SBP. Tama na tigilan nila ang claim as the legit NSA, but I guess it is also not right to tell them to just disappear, mapapakinabangan pa naman sila kung gugustuhin natin. And as I have said before, the key to genuine reform is for everyone to sit down and plan together. Mateen couldn't have said it better in his last post in this thread

digitalsuperman
05-14-2009, 05:47 PM
teka.. speaking of BAP. andyan paba si Graham Lim sa BAP? para kasi atang si Graham Lim lang ang wall that divides BAP at SBP eh..

thadzonline
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I guess so. Graham Lim is still with BAP I suppose

McCoy
05-14-2009, 08:14 PM
[b]Graham Lim is that you?

hindi aasikasuhin ni Eala yun mga provincial school coz walang pera doon
ano ba talaga plano ng SBP? harangin ytun mga taong gustong tulungan ang Phil. basketball. alam ko yun nangyari sa NSBC sa Cebu tinawagan ni Eala yun mga CESAFI members na wag sumali na inayunan ni Tiukhiinoy? pro yun mga school mismo ang nag-desisyon sumali kahit tinatakot sila ng SBP na i-sanctioned. dahil for basketball sake.
ask nga kita kaibigan na-sanctioned ba ng SBP yun mga CESAFI members especialy UV, UC at SWU?
pinakialaman ng SBP yun PCCL, ok maganda kinalabasan kya lng prang PALPAK yun pinangako nilang stint ng champion sa World University.
and tsong mas maraming ahas sa SBP! sila-sila nagtutuklawan pra makakurakot kay MVP.
at hindi ako si Graham Lim.

digitalsuperman
05-14-2009, 09:39 PM
huh? tinakot? di naman siguro..grabe naman yun..di naman siguro ganun ka unprofessional yung mga taga SBP. baka naman nagwarning lang dahil yung tournament na yun ay hindi sanctioned nang legal na basketball body atsaka baka sinabihan lang na kung sino man ang nananalo eh di kikilalanin nang SBP na mag represent sa pilipinas sa World University games dahil nga di sanctioned yung tournament. if you know so much, ano ba talaga yung exact words na sinabi nang taga SBP para takutin yung mga teams?

CrossOver
05-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Mukang itong si McCoy ay taga BAP ::)

Sobra naman iyang sinabi tinatakot? sus tungkol dun sa World University Games me mga teknikal na hindi na meet ng SBP every year naman ito so this year PCCL sigurado repaso na iton ng SBP relax ka lang ;D

D_I_A
05-15-2009, 02:39 AM
hindi aasikasuhin ni Eala yun mga provincial school coz walang pera doon
ano ba talaga plano ng SBP? harangin ytun mga taong gustong tulungan ang Phil. basketball. alam ko yun nangyari sa NSBC sa Cebu tinawagan ni Eala yun mga CESAFI members na wag sumali na inayunan ni Tiukhiinoy? pro yun mga school mismo ang nag-desisyon sumali kahit tinatakot sila ng SBP na i-sanctioned. dahil for basketball sake.
ask nga kita kaibigan na-sanctioned ba ng SBP yun mga CESAFI members especialy UV, UC at SWU?
pinakialaman ng SBP yun PCCL, ok maganda kinalabasan kya lng prang PALPAK yun pinangako nilang stint ng champion sa World University.
and tsong mas maraming ahas sa SBP! sila-sila nagtutuklawan pra makakurakot kay MVP.
at hindi ako si Graham Lim.

Sir McCoy just wanna share with you what I ask to Sir Nardy of interbasket.net who's quite an insider regarding SBP affairss:

Originally Posted by D_I_A
Sir nardy i wanna ask what the SBP is doing regarding the national basketball grassroots program

some quarters are becoming uneasy regarding how SBP deals with those leagues, associations or interest groups in the regions and provinces.

did SBP started to reach out with those leagues that were identified with the banished BAP?

recently BAP concluded it's own national champion's version NSBC in Mindanao wherein two Cebu two teams fought in the finals.

how is SBP dealing with these distractions?

I really hope that SBP isn't the elitist basketball NSA or same as BAP as some would suspect.

in my own personal view, i really don't want those BAP vermins back in Philippine basketball scene.

[b]Sir Nardy's Quote:
The initial salvo by the SBP on Philippine's Grassroots program is the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) which was spread in different parts of the country.

the success and failure of the SBP if it would become like the BAP or not lies with NOLI EALA.

if you had worked with Noli Eala, you really have to make a lot of adjustments. You must have a lot of patience. And you must be ready to take the backseat. He has a very strong personality which is actually bordering arrogance. He is not much of a diplomat like his predeccesor Pato Gregorio. He is an action person first, if he thinks what he is doing is right, he would go on do it even before consulting anybody and he is not afraid to step in anyone's feet or does not mince if ever he hurted someone's feelings. He likes the limelight and he would readily release data to the media even though everything is not confirmed yet.

You have to really understand first where Noli is coming from in order to be able to tolerate who he really is.

Regarding the CESAFI. Well what do you expect if BAP's NSBC is in a way fooling schools all over the country. That so to speak claiming it as the national championships when SBP has already announced and organized the PCCL.

How do you think the SBP can organize tournaments especially in CEBU if it's main school league is slamming it's doors to the SBP? SBP could have sanctioned those schools which participated in last year's BAP's NSBC but it chose not to go down that that lower level wherin further conflicts would arise. So where's that pressure tactics would apply as you claim? Were their sanctions given by the SBP? And if ever sanctions would be given, i doubt it would apply since CESAFI isolated itself and bolted from the PB (forerunner of the SBP) and recently from the SBP.

Regarding Sir Thadz idea of sitting down and talking things over, as long as BAP isn't sincere and has given up it's claims as our country's basketball NSA and cooperate and contribute productively with the SBP i don't think the negotiating table will be the answer. Besides IMHO, BAP isn't in the position to negotiate.

Regarding the World University Games, it's still part of the birthpains or adjustment being taken by the SBP. Remember Pato Gregorio's predicament in the last SEABA games (correct me if i'm wrong) in which San Beda's Sam Ekwe could have played for the country but due to some technicalities the former San Beda center wasn't allowed to play.

But expect to deliver my tirade with SBP if it does turned into Graham's BAP, but as of now, SBP in general is doing good in terms the National Team's Long Term Program, NBTC and connecting the different leagues nationwide through the PCCL.

What i'm waiting for is the genuine national grassroots program, referees and coaches trainings and discovery of great basketball talents.

Sulong Basketbal ng Pilipinas!!!

Down with the BAP

D_I_A
05-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Bare Eye
Not too Smart MVP moves in RP basketball

By Recah Trinidad
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:23:00 05/14/2009

WOE TO THE MAN WHO BLINDFOLDed the generous tycoon now bankrolling our national basketball development program and then worked to isolate Nic Jorge in the national cage scene.

That poor attempt, you bet, was as silly as eliminating Mt. Arayat from the Central Luzon landscape.

Nobody does that to man-mountain Nic.

Mr. Jorge, in case they’ve not realized, is a super sumo masquerading as an ordinary heavyweight.

No need to ask Jorge to step on the scales in order to know how truly big the former national coach is.

The weight-check machine is bound to blink and choke.

Jorge weighs no less than 300 pounds, and counting.

No, Nic doesn’t wear XXL T-shirts.

They must be no smaller than SSH (super-super-huge) if they are to fit.

Well, for starters, that effort to have Jorge eliminated from the national basketball scenery won’t be as cozy as plucking unwanted laundry from the clothesline.

Jorge, thank God for dedicated souls like him, has a reputation as great as a mountain in Philippines basketball.

We all owe him.

He’s best known as the founding president of BEST (Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training) Center, the longest-running and most successful molder of future basketeers in the country.

Jorge, needless to say, has been providing the technical nutrients for our national basketball development program for decades.

But what solidified his noble reputation as a dedicated basketball man was when he fought the old BAP (Basketall Association of the Philippines) after officials of that defunct agency dragged RP caging to the bottom by misrepresenting the sport in the international basketball federation, Fiba.

Jorge, for the record, helped organize the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP), the lead agency now in charge of basketball under the sponsorship of tycoon Manny V. Pangilinan.

The other day, Jorge made a painful announcement.

He resigned from the SBP over claims “the group has taken the same path as the BAP, its predecessor.”

“They have resorted to the ‘bata-bata’ system in isolating the legally elected officials of the SBP leadership,” Jorge said in a statement.

Jorge himself has been replaced as youth commissioner in the SBP.

But what led to his outburst, Jorge claimed, was the removal of Moying Martelino, a tested long-time basketball worker, and international referees Rolly Omampo and Levy Valenzuela.

The least they could’ve done, Jorge said, was inform him of his arbitrary ouster.

Who’s the culprit?

Please don’t point a finger at Mr. Pangilinan.

Jorge claimed a powerful clique has insulated MVP, who happens to be the SBP president, from “legitimate concerns” he and his group would’ve raised before Mr. Pangilinan.

OK, MVP is not to blame. The guy definitely meant well.

It’s just too bad that, in this case, MVP relied on a guy who’s obviously out to see the total bastardization of Philippine basketball.

Nic Jorge has named the culprit.

And MVP must be warned.

He has left the fate of Philippine basketball in the hands of this pretender— a decision blindly equal to betting on Shaquille O’Neal from the charity line, when his team’s survival depended on the foulest foul shooter of all time.

thadzonline
05-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Regarding the CESAFI. Well what do you expect if BAP's NSBC is in a way fooling schools all over the country. That so to speak claiming it as the national championships when SBP has already announced and organized the PCCL.

How do you think the SBP can organize tournaments especially in CEBU if it's main school league is slamming it's doors to the SBP? SBP could have sanctioned those schools which participated in last year's BAP's NSBC but it chose not to go down that that lower level wherin further conflicts would arise. So where's that pressure tactics would apply as you claim? Were their sanctions given by the SBP? And if ever sanctions would be given, i doubt it would apply since CESAFI isolated itself and bolted from the PB (forerunner of the SBP) and recently from the SBP.

To tell you honestly, I don't even think SWU cares whether the NSBC is a national championship or not. They care more about them getting better by playing more games and joining more competitions. While the tournament is too far away in terms competition level from the PCCL, it is still a welcome thing to SWU to be playing opponents outside Cebu or CeSAFI. That way they are exposed to varied levels and styles of play which is good for the team.

Now think of the other lesser-tier teams who joined the NSBC. The competition level is definitely way above that of their respective provincial leagues and they were sure to play opponents of better quality nevermind if it is not yet at par with NCAA or UAAP, because they are still better teams than those found in their respective provinces.

What I am saying is if SBP finally wants to put an end to this BAP train, SBP can do with the organization of regional tournaments(or inter-regional) to counter the BAP's activities. Diyan magkakaalaman kung saan ang suporta ng provincial leagues in the choice of activities na sasalihan ng provincial schools. Hindi kasi natin masasabi ngayon na once nagjoin ng BAP-organized competition ang isang provincial school eh BAP supporter na ito. Nagkataon lang naman talaga na BAP ang may na organize na tournament na pwede nilang salihan and there is none from SBP.

digitalsuperman
05-15-2009, 07:23 AM
is there any email address for SBP where we can send our questions pertaining to their programs?

Sam Miguel
05-15-2009, 09:11 AM
^^^ Noli Eala has a Twitter account, just search for that, you should be able to contact him directly via Twitter.

These so-called "cracks" are all part and parcel of the growing pains of the SBP. Personally the appointment of Noli Eala to Executive Director of SBP never sat well with me, especially since he was essentially asked to leave the PBA due to moral issues and then disbarred by the Integrated Bar. Some one like that would have very little ascendancy and respect in any organization.

Still, I trust in the discretion and wisdom of Manny Pangilinan as SBP President, and having also personally spoken with Eala on numerous occasions, I am not averse to giving the man a fair shake. SBP is technically just a little over two years old, and I dare say we haven't done too bad during that time. Certainly we could have done far worse given the old BAP is still making its own moves thanks to illegal alien Graham Lim.

Schortsanitis
05-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I've never been a fan of Recah, a booze-guzzling sports writer who obviously doesn't even try to put any hint of objectivity in his articles.

As for "Coach" Nic Jorge, wasn't this guy involved in that very messy affair involving Joe Lipa with UP? I can't remember Nic winning any championships as coach, and his biggest accomplishments seem to holding BEST clinics all over the country.

digitalsuperman
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
^^^ Noli Eala has a Twitter account, just search for that, you should be able to contact him directly via Twitter.

These so-called "cracks" are all part and parcel of the growing pains of the SBP. Personally the appointment of Noli Eala to Executive Director of SBP never sat well with me, especially since he was essentially asked to leave the PBA due to moral issues and then disbarred by the Integrated Bar. Some one like that would have very little ascendancy and respect in any organization.

Still, I trust in the discretion and wisdom of Manny Pangilinan as SBP President, and having also personally spoken with Eala on numerous occasions, I am not averse to giving the man a fair shake. SBP is technically just a little over two years old, and I dare say we haven't done too bad during that time. Certainly we could have done far worse given the old BAP is still making its own moves thanks to illegal alien Graham Lim.

huh? are you trying to judge noli eala with those kind of allegations because of his moral issues? are you trying to come clean? do you dare say that yourself is moraly clean? are you trying to cast the first stone?

im really pondering how his proffessional capability boils down to his capacity to do moral things.

in my opinion, he was removed from the pba because it was conspiracy that the board of pba organized. they were looking for a reason to remove him and when an opportunity came they made a move. eala was so supportive of the national team and i don' t think the board was riding on his high with it. i didn't sit well with them because as what the currrent commish said that while the pba stars are with the national team, the gate attendance and the TV ratings plummet down.

thats just my opinion. but who knows someone who knows actually. but regardless, my point is. eala shouldn't be proffessionally prosecuted just because of his moral issues.

McCoy
05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
huh? tinakot? di naman siguro..grabe naman yun..di naman siguro ganun ka unprofessional yung mga taga SBP. baka naman nagwarning lang dahil yung tournament na yun ay hindi sanctioned nang legal na basketball body atsaka baka sinabihan lang na kung sino man ang nananalo eh di kikilalanin nang SBP na mag represent sa pilipinas sa World University games dahil nga di sanctioned yung tournament. if you know so much, ano ba talaga yung exact words na sinabi nang taga SBP para takutin yung mga teams?
\

brod, ask mo UV, SWU at iba pang CESAFI members
pro hindi natakot ang mga CESAFI members! ang SBP ang natakot coz nililigawan nila ang CESAFI na sumama sa kanila. hindi rin maka-BAP ang CESAFI pro basta for basketball sake's go sila kahit BAP or SBP pa toh.

McCoy
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM

To tell you honestly, I don't even think SWU cares whether the NSBC is a national championship or not. They care more about them getting better by playing more games and joining more competitions. While the tournament is too far away in terms competition level from the PCCL, it is still a welcome thing to SWU to be playing opponents outside Cebu or CeSAFI. That way they are exposed to varied levels and styles of play which is good for the team.

Now think of the other lesser-tier teams who joined the NSBC. The competition level is definitely way above that of their respective provincial leagues and they were sure to play opponents of better quality nevermind if it is not yet at par with NCAA or UAAP, because they are still better teams than those found in their respective provinces.

What I am saying is if SBP finally wants to put an end to this BAP train, SBP can do with the organization of regional tournaments(or inter-regional) to counter the BAP's activities. Diyan magkakaalaman kung saan ang suporta ng provincial leagues in the choice of activities na sasalihan ng provincial schools. Hindi kasi natin masasabi ngayon na once nagjoin ng BAP-organized competition ang isang provincial school eh BAP supporter na ito. Nagkataon lang naman talaga na BAP ang may na organize na tournament na pwede nilang salihan and there is none from SBP.

mismo kaibigan hindi rin pro-BAP mga provincial team nagkataon lng na BAP lng talaga ang may proyekto pra sa mga provincial schools.

Schortsanitis
05-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Dios mio. Ganun ba kayo ka desperado sa supurta, na kung sinong sanggano lang na lalapit sa inyo, e, okay na?

La ba kayong ibang makuhang mayaman na tutulong sa inyo?

D_I_A
05-16-2009, 01:46 AM
mismo kaibigan hindi rin pro-BAP mga provincial team nagkataon lng na BAP lng talaga ang may proyekto pra sa mga provincial schools.

pero sa kulturang pinoy na may mataas na konsepto ng utang na loob..

don't tell me, na madaling talikuran ang BAP? ito ang sinasamantala ng BAP.

come on guys, masyado naman tayong nagpapakaka VIP niyan..you can directly reach out and talk with SBP officials kung gusto nyo naman talaga eh.

kung sa tingin natin na di tayo napapansin siguro dahil na rin sa may priority programs ang SBP like National team program, NBTC etc.. you could ask them kung uubra, kaso di ba kayo rin mga taga CESAFI ang nagboycott ng strategic planning ng SBP kasi you aligned yourselves with the BAP?

if you guys are speaking of talking in one table SBP and BAP, i think it should start at the level of those really concerned, kayo na mag-initiate dahil nga nagsisimula pa lang ang SBP when that issue of neglect in the regions/provinces came out, you can't construct Rome overnight right? kung ayaw talaga eh di use other channels but don't just give a lame alibi na kasi wala ng tournament na masasalihan ang mga schools natin sa CEBU kaya sa BAP NSBC na lang. Para namang napaghahalataan na ang prinsipyo natin ay kung san lang tayo makikinabang at parang balimbing

MVP i believe is a great basketball supporter, i doubt kung ilalayo nya sarili nya sa nangangailangan just like in CEBU as for EALA, the guy has a vision but has a questionable management style that everyone must adjust and understand. Try communicating with Pato Gregorio who's MVP's main man for SMART sports who knows the guy could redeem his shortcomings when he was still the SBP's executive director by helping you air your thoughts with MVP.

The problem as i see with CESAFI your board is influenced by Tiukhinoy's who's a known BAP ally. Pwede naman siguro ninyo gawan ng paraan kung gusto ninyo na matulungan kayo ng SBP di ba? Kung ang pagkukulang ay nasa SBP, di ba uubra na isantabi muna ang pride, who knows talagang hirap sa mga panahon na kailangan ninyo ang SBP sa kanilang national grassroots program.

Maybe with forums like this we could continue to air our concerns on the SBP. But again, BAP is out of the question.

CrossOver
05-16-2009, 08:36 AM
oh pride nga naman ganito lang yan "Kung ayaw may dahilan, kung gusto palaging mayrong paraan" -Rico Blanco

thadzonline
05-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Dios mio. Ganun ba kayo ka desperado sa supurta, na kung sinong sanggano lang na lalapit sa inyo, e, okay na?

La ba kayong ibang makuhang mayaman na tutulong sa inyo?

unfortunately walang nagprisinta at yan ay sinamantala. Masakit man aminin yun, but I think, like a business, tinitignan din ng stakeholders ang cost and returns. And siguro sa naging assessment nila, sumali na lang sila dun sa may na organize na because anyway they needed the competition and there was no other avenue, in fact kung tutuusin during this summer, ang dami ngang barangay leagues na sinalihan ng mga schools dito jsut because kulang talaga ang competition. Imagine mo na lang ha, napipilitan sumali ang mga school teams sa mga barangay tournaments para lang makapaglaro. That's how bad the situation here is. Madali kasi natin sabihing "sige air out this concerns to the SBP, blah, blah, blah", hindi po ganun kadali yun and I assure you I have sent emails to certain personalities about this concerns and I have received only very few responses and some replied only "ok". I understand the genuine wanting of you guys here about bringing this concerns to the right persons, efforts have been made po and hindi po ganun kadali

thadzonline
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM

come on guys, masyado naman tayong nagpapakaka VIP niyan..you can directly reach out and talk with SBP officials kung gusto nyo naman talaga eh.

kung sa tingin natin na di tayo napapansin siguro dahil na rin sa may priority programs ang SBP like National team program, NBTC etc.. you could ask them kung uubra, kaso di ba kayo rin mga taga CESAFI ang nagboycott ng strategic planning ng SBP kasi you aligned yourselves with the BAP?

if you guys are speaking of talking in one table SBP and BAP, i think it should start at the level of those really concerned, kayo na mag-initiate dahil nga nagsisimula pa lang ang SBP when that issue of neglect in the regions/provinces came out, you can't construct Rome overnight right? kung ayaw talaga eh di use other channels but don't just give a lame alibi na kasi wala ng tournament na masasalihan ang mga schools natin sa CEBU kaya sa BAP NSBC na lang. Para namang napaghahalataan na ang prinsipyo natin ay kung san lang tayo makikinabang at parang balimbing

As in any business, ganun talaga yun. Corporate sponsors look for the events that will generate sales and brand exposure. While I may not agree with it, I am equally frustrated about the lack of alternatives presented by the other party. Sabi ko nga, dyahe namang SBP will bar schools from participating in certain activities tapos wla naman pala silang alternative. Kung meron sila naging alternative, malamang may mga schools na dun sasali at hindi sa kabila. That way magkakaalaman kung saan talaga ang suporta ng schools ksi they are already provided with options.

MVP i believe is a great basketball supporter, i doubt kung ilalayo nya sarili nya sa nangangailangan just like in CEBU as for EALA, the guy has a vision but has a questionable management style that everyone must adjust and understand. Try communicating with Pato Gregorio who's MVP's main man for SMART sports who knows the guy could redeem his shortcomings when he was still the SBP's executive director by helping you air your thoughts with MVP.

The problem as i see with CESAFI your board is influenced by Tiukhinoy's who's a known BAP ally. Pwede naman siguro ninyo gawan ng paraan kung gusto ninyo na matulungan kayo ng SBP di ba? Kung ang pagkukulang ay nasa SBP, di ba uubra na isantabi muna ang pride, who knows talagang hirap sa mga panahon na kailangan ninyo ang SBP sa kanilang national grassroots program.

Maybe with forums like this we could continue to air our concerns on the SBP. But again, BAP is out of the question.

BAP, I suppose will never be out of the picture. I'd like to see both BAP and SBP work together for the good of Philippine basketball rather than isolate either of the two. As in basketball, the key is teamwork and not individual play.

amdgc82
05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
http://sports.inquirer.net/columns/columns/view/20090515-205117/MVP-never-got-back-to-Jorge

In Huddle
MVP never got back to Jorge
By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:59:00 05/15/2009

Filed Under: Basketball

NIC JORGE COULD NOT SAY EXACTLY when or how he was replaced by Far Eastern U’s Anton Montinola as chair of the SBP’s Commission on Youth.

How could he know, said Nic, when the “switch” occurred while he was in the United States on a business trip. He was never formally or informally informed by SBP executive director Noli Eala of the change.

Eala did not bother to send him even a short note or a text message that he had been removed from his post. He was in the US when SBP President Manny V. Pangilinan announced that he no longer held the position.

“Eala offered me another position which will involve frequent trips abroad, but I declined,” said the founding president of the decades-old Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training or BEST Center.

“We have worked so hard to form the SBP, invested so much in basketball not because of the trips but because of my commitment to the sport.”

As the SBP’s Commission on Youth chair, Nic has had many disappointments and frustrations, the biggest of which is the cancellation of the Inter-Secondary Basketball Tournament scheduled for the last quarter of 2008.

“Last year was the only year this competition was aborted. Even during the time of the BAP and even when the association was so broke, the contest was staged annually,” Nic said.

The problem had been funding.

“When we met last year, Eala said we could not push through with the event because we did not have enough funds. He said we needed P500,000 more. Immediately, Mikee Romero, who is the chair for the SBP’s Commission on Women’s basketball, pledged P300,000 while MVP committed to shoulder the remaining P200,000. Still the Inter-Secondary did not push through for some reason.”

For lack of funding and support, none of the projects under Nic’s chairmanship seems to have materialized. Or if it had, he did not appear to be part of it.

The youth under Nic’s chairmanship includes those whose ages range from 18 years and below.

“The SBP has never spent even a centavo for any of the youth projects,” Nic said.

From all indications, Eala’s only concern is the national team of coach Rajko Toroman.

Some weeks ago, Nic decided it was time to quit the SBP as member of the board. He said it was now clear to him that some people inside the association “have a grand design to kick out those who worked hard to put up the SBP like Moying Martelino and international referees Rolly Omampo and Levy Valenzuela who were all removed from the SBP.”

At first Pangilinan would not hear of it.

He talked to Nic and tried to convince him to stay. He gave Nic time to think it over and said he would get back to him soon.

Nic said MVP never got back to him.

Could there be a basis for Nic’s claim that “there exists a powerful group within the SBP that is insulating the SBP head from legitimate concerns that officials like me would have raised before him?”

amdgc82
05-16-2009, 09:25 PM
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/baguio/local-basketball-leadership-limbo

Local basketball leadership in limbo
Thursday, May 14, 2009
By Roderick Osis

NIC Jorge, who pioneered youth basketball clinics in the country and who is one of the stakeholders who stood up against the old Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP), tendered his resignation as Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) board member over a disagreement with executive director Noli Eala.

This came after the current re-organization at the SBP, with Jorge being appointed to another position after he was eased out as chairman of the Youth Commission.

SBP area director for Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, and the Cordillera Danny Soria told Sun.Star recently he was surprised at the resignation of Jorge.

"I share his sentiments, and I might follow," Soria said, who is also the athletic director of the Cordillera Career Development College.

Soria said he would soon tender his resignation as long as he receives the communication from their corporate secretary on the stand of SBP president Manny Pangilinan on the resignation of Jorge.

In his letter to Pangilinan dated May 2, Jorge said he could no longer take what he called unilateral decisions being made by Eala.

Jorge, one of the very few cage officials who fought the old BAP when its officials misrepresented themselves as representatives of the sport in the country, helped organize the SBP together with several key stakeholders who chose Pangilinan as the SBP president.

Jorge particularly hit former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) commissioner Eala, who was appointed SBP executive director by Pangilinan.

Rolly Omampo and Levy Valenzuela, two highly respected international referees, have also been allegedly eased out of their places in the Referees Commission.

But the local SBP leadership assured the lined up activities under the SBP would not be affected.

McCoy
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM

As in any business, ganun talaga yun. Corporate sponsors look for the events that will generate sales and brand exposure. While I may not agree with it, I am equally frustrated about the lack of alternatives presented by the other party. Sabi ko nga, dyahe namang SBP will bar schools from participating in certain activities tapos wla naman pala silang alternative. Kung meron sila naging alternative, malamang may mga schools na dun sasali at hindi sa kabila. That way magkakaalaman kung saan talaga ang suporta ng schools ksi they are already provided with options.

BAP, I suppose will never be out of the picture. I'd like to see both BAP and SBP work together for the good of Philippine basketball rather than isolate either of the two. As in basketball, the key is teamwork and not individual play.

msimo, noon pa willing makipag-tulungan ang BAP sa SBP, pro sa nangyayaring anomalya ba? sa SBP ayaw nilang isama ang BAP. remember yun napagkasunduan noon sa FIBA meeting magkasama ang "BAP-SBP" magtulungan ika nga. pro after noon inalis nila Eala ang name na BAP (ang pinakamatandang basketball association sa buong Asia) sa merging na napag-usapan. Baketttt???.
ok for Philippine basketball sake's, sabi ng SBP mas nakatuon atensyon nila sa National team, NBTC, fine! then hayaan nila ang BAP sa mga minor school league pra mabigyan nman pagkakataon yun mga provincial school na may maituturing na grassroot program talaga.
en hindi naman boycott ang CESAFI school sa programa ng SBP ah, remember sumali sila sa PCCL na programa ng SBP (na tadtad ng opm). kahiya sa LaSalle ah

Schortsanitis
05-19-2009, 01:59 PM
'Eh bakit naman makikipag tulungan sa BAP, e, bulok na nga ang track record ng mga iyan. Kaya nga na ban ang Pilipinas sa FIBA e dahil pinapaalis, ayaw namang umalis. Tapos ngayon makikipag tulungan daw'.

'Ang hirap kasi, e, ang kakapal ng apog ng mga taga BAP na iyan, ilang beses na nasupalpal, ayaw pa rin umalis sa basketball. Kaya ayun, nasa Cebu, kumakalap ng suporta sa pamamagitan ng paglabas ng pera duon. Ala kasing ibang makitang matinong benefactor yung mga Cebuano, kaya ayan, kapit na lang sa mga politiko dahil yun lang ang makita nilang gagastos sa kanila.'

And one more thing: I think we should stop blaming the SBP as to why the level of development in basketball in the provinces is not the same as it is in Manila. The reason for this is simple: The Manila schools are excelling not because of government support, but because of their own initiatives.

If you look at the schools with great basketball programs like SBC, ADMU, DLSU, UE and FEU, all of them have succeeded not because of government support, but because of their strong support from alumni booster clubs and rich alumni support.

This is an example the Cebu schools can emulate: If the fans love basketball so much there, then why don't they help out their schools financially? As for rich alumnis, 'me mga negosyante rin naman sa Cebu. Me mga old families pa nga dyan, na di ko alam kung paano ginagastos ang pera'.

thadzonline
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I think it is unfair to say na andaming perang inilabas ang BAP sa Cebu. Eh di sana di na pupunta ngayon sa barangay tournaments sa Leyte, Bohol at Cebu ang mga school teams dito kung ganun lang kadali. Di rin lang naman Cebu teams ang nakinabang dun sa naorganized na tournaments nila, there were teams from Manila and Luzon as well as from Mindanao. This is not about Cebu only but what is happening in Cebu could just be a mirror of what's happening in the other provinces.

Sabi ko nga, cost and returns yan e. You can blame BAP for doing what they are doing to gain support, but remember we live in a democracy, and such political exercise of campaigning for support is not at all illegal. You can't blame schools who support them especially if these are entities that do not feel the SBP's presence, baka nga they are feeling that BAP is actually more representative of their plight than SBP. Syempre schools or teams or basketball organizations will support the organization where they feel will benefit them most(i.e. support to their programs, their involvement in tournaments). This is what BAP is doing and woe to SBP for not even lifting a finger to counter BAP's activities. A court order saying they are the national federation is not enough, SBP has to make sure they still have support and pursue continuous dialogues with provincial organizations because while BAP is making headway, SBP seems to be content about resting on the successes of their programs. While that is admirable, resting on such may not be enough.

thadzonline
05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
1 more thing, I consider myself a purist when it comes to collegiate sports. You see 1 of the reasons why many Manila schools are actually better off than provincial programs is: while maganda nga yung programa nila in terms of training, the most glaring at ang pinakatotoong rason why players chose to be in a Manila school is because they get huge allowances, and in many cases at par pa nga with corporate executives yung "allowance" na binibigay. I rather find that unfair for the more deserving student athletes. Kung pera habol nila hindi nalang sana sa collegiate sports nila hanapin, nag turn pro nalang sana sila. I really consider such an insult to collegiate sports and I admire institutions who do not succumb to the pressure. I am not saying this is not happening in Cebu or other provinces, mas talamak nga lang sa Manila.

Kung prinsipyo ang pag-uusapan, isa itong magandang topic

thadzonline
05-19-2009, 03:48 PM
And one more thing: I think we should stop blaming the SBP as to why the level of development in basketball in the provinces is not the same as it is in Manila. The reason for this is simple: The Manila schools are excelling not because of government support, but because of their own initiatives.

If you look at the schools with great basketball programs like SBC, ADMU, DLSU, UE and FEU, all of them have succeeded not because of government support, but because of their strong support from alumni booster clubs and rich alumni support.

This is an example the Cebu schools can emulate: If the fans love basketball so much there, then why don't they help out their schools financially? As for rich alumnis, 'me mga negosyante rin naman sa Cebu. Me mga old families pa nga dyan, na di ko alam kung paano ginagastos ang pera'.

SBP still has a role to play. The fact that maganda na yung basketball scene doon sa Manila, eh di pwede na nilang i shift ang focus to the provincial leagues because these are the leagues that most need their help, hindi yung Manila where schools and leagues can already stand on their own.

jesronne
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
ang palagay ko dito bakit si nic jorge ay tinanggal ay parang plano na talaga ng SBP kasi redundant yung program nya sa NBTC... kaya nga ang SBP nag karoon ng plan B tsaka inoperan si nic jorge ng ibang posisyon... pero may pride si nic jorge ayaw nya ng ganun ganun lang kaya siguro nag resign sya... IMO lang to...

its not cebu only but also mindanao schools... ang focus ng SBP ay sa manila lang wala sila masyadong program for cebu and mindanao... baka rin kasi nag titipid ang SBP... we all know naman na ang magagaling player talaga ay galing sa Manila schools...

thadzonline
05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
simple lang naman ang role ng reciprocity sa issue na ito. SBP cannot just ask for blind loyalty. For SBP to gain solid support from the provincial organizations, they also need to address the concerns of these provincial organizations.

insulares
05-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Sabi ko nga, cost and returns yan e. You can blame BAP for doing what they are doing to gain support, but remember we live in a democracy, and such political exercise of campaigning for support is not at all illegal. You can't blame schools who support them especially if these are entities that do not feel the SBP's presence, baka nga they are feeling that BAP is actually more representative of their plight than SBP. Syempre schools or teams or basketball organizations will support the organization where they feel will benefit them most(i.e. support to their programs, their involvement in tournaments). This is what BAP is doing and woe to SBP for not even lifting a finger to counter BAP's activities. A court order saying they are the national federation is not enough, SBP has to make sure they still have support and pursue continuous dialogues with provincial organizations because while BAP is making headway, SBP seems to be content about resting on the successes of their programs. While that is admirable, resting on such may not be enough.

Thadz,

Let's set things straight. A court order saying that the SBP is the acknowledged federation by the very fact makes the BAP and its activities illegal. Just because the SBP may appear to have shortcomings in provincial basketball development (still too early to make any sweeping statements IMHO) does not give anybody the right to disrespect the rule of law.

You're right. We live in a democracy which in this case is another name for "mob rule", where two wolves and a sheep vote on what's for dinner. That is precisely the problem. Living in a democracy sometimes gives some people that feeling of entitlement that they can do their own thing to meet their own agenda, never mind if there is already a recognized federation that we have to work with to attain noble "regional" objectives.

To paraphrase Jose P Laurel's nationalistic statement to fit a more regional context, "No one can love the Visayans better than the Visayans themselves". Let us add Andres Bonifacio's adage: "the best help is self-help". You made a good point about not resting on the success of one's programs. The Visayas has some successful basketball programs which you should not rest on by taking the path of least resistance and latching on to an illegal entity that foments discord and dissension. Just because the BAP offers a so-called "alternative" doesn't make their activities any less illegal.

Isn't your region represented in the SBP? You mentioned Yayoy Alcoseba. Isn't Lhuiller also there? Have they helped to advance your cause thus far? If you guys are willing to work with the system, then you should hold these people to a higher standard of representing you in the federation. Continuing to sleep with the BAP will only show that some folks are out to do some "federation shopping". Mahirap yang namamangka sa dalawang ilog. If certain regional "stakeholders" do not show commitment to their federation, why should they expect any commitment in return?

thadzonline
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Thadz,

Let's set things straight. A court order saying that the SBP is the acknowledged federation by the very fact makes the BAP and its activities illegal. Just because the SBP may appear to have shortcomings in provincial basketball development (still too early to make any sweeping statements IMHO) does not give anybody the right to disrespect the rule of law.

The court order did not necessarily declare BAP as an illegal organization nor barred them from organizing their own activities. The court order only recognizes SBP as the national federation but not to declare BAP and it's activities illegal.

You're right. We live in a democracy which in this case is another name for "mob rule", where two wolves and a sheep vote on what's for dinner. That is precisely the problem. Living in a democracy sometimes gives some people that feeling of entitlement that they can do their own thing to meet their own agenda, never mind if there is already a recognized federation that we have to work with to attain noble "regional" objectives.

As a national sports federation, SBP cannot deny membership to basketball stakeholders(basically any organization who is involved in basketball in the Philippines) just because they are affiliated with the BAP or some other organization. Let us keep in mind SBP is not a private entity. BAP-affiliated and non-aligned organizations by all means do have a right to participate in the political exercise that will shape the leadership of the national federation, so long as they meet the criterion for those who are qualified to vote.

To paraphrase Jose P Laurel's nationalistic statement to fit a more regional context, "No one can love the Visayans better than the Visayans themselves". Let us add Andres Bonifacio's adage: "the best help is self-help". You made a good point about not resting on the success of one's programs. The Visayas has some successful basketball programs which you should not rest on by taking the path of least resistance and latching on to an illegal entity that foments discord and dissension. Just because the BAP offers a so-called "alternative" doesn't make their activities any less illegal.

I do not get what is illegal or criminal with organizing a basketball tournament. Probably the key phrase here is "sanctioned by the national federation". And btw, the reason why it seemed BAP spent so much money in Cebu is not because some padrino from outside Cebu spent for them. Much of what was spent during those tournaments came from Chao Sy, a Cebuano who I understand at some point was aligned with the SBP and then claims to have felt insulted by some SBP corners and left. Probably if Chao Sy stayed with SBP, that would not have been a problem. He has long been organizing tournaments locally even before the BAP controversy, even when he was aligned with the SBP and now that he is affiliated with the BAP and probably even if he is not affiliated with any organization. If you only had the chance to talk to that guy, he only wants what's best for Cebu basketball. It's a pity that a lot of us cannot see or transcend beyond affiliations.

Isn't your region represented in the SBP? You mentioned Yayoy Alcoseba. Isn't Lhuiller also there? Have they helped to advance your cause thus far? If you guys are willing to work with the system, then you should hold these people to a higher standard of representing you in the federation. Continuing to sleep with the BAP will only show that some folks are out to do some "federation shopping". Mahirap yang namamangka sa dalawang ilog. If certain regional "stakeholders" do not show commitment to their federation, why should they expect any commitment in return?

Remember that the SBP leadership is elected for a term and again the phrase "federation shopping" here is misleading when what you are actually trying to point out is the democratic exercise of some organizations to choose who leads their national federation. These organizations will choose the leaders they feel best represents them. You may call it mob rule, but you have to live with that fact.

I am not for BAP or SBP, and as I have always been crowing, I would only like both of them to work together because while one is ignored, we will never get out of the mess

insulares
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
The court order did not necessarily declare BAP as an illegal organization nor barred them from organizing their own activities. The court order only recognizes SBP as the national federation but not to declare BAP and it's activities illegal.

Hmmm... I guess in a democracy, "illegal" is in the eye of the beholder. The decision penned by CA Associate Justice Guevara-Salonga specifically instructs the respondents (BAP) to cease and desist from further acting as officers of the SBP (the BAP bastards even tried to usurp the SBP name) and turn over the affairs of the organization to the petitioners (SBP).

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/134760/CA-affirms-Pangilinan-group-in-BAP-SBP-row

As a national sports federation, SBP cannot deny membership to basketball stakeholders(basically any organization who is involved in basketball in the Philippines) just because they are affiliated with the BAP or some other organization. Let us keep in mind SBP is not a private entity. BAP-affiliated and non-aligned organizations by all means do have a right to participate in the political exercise that will shape the leadership of the national federation, so long as they meet the criterion for those who are qualified to vote.

No argument there. So long as everyone remembers that there's only one legitimate basketball NSA (SBP), there should be no problem.

I do not get what is illegal or criminal with organizing a basketball tournament. Probably the key phrase here is "sanctioned by the national federation". And btw, the reason why it seemed BAP spent so much money in Cebu is not because some padrino from outside Cebu spent for them. Much of what was spent during those tournaments came from Chao Sy, a Cebuano who I understand at some point was aligned with the SBP and then claims to have felt insulted by some SBP corners and left. Probably if Chao Sy stayed with SBP, that would not have been a problem. He has long been organizing tournaments locally even before the BAP controversy, even when he was aligned with the SBP and now that he is affiliated with the BAP and probably even if he is not affiliated with any organization. If you only had the chance to talk to that guy, he only wants what's best for Cebu basketball. It's a pity that a lot of us cannot see or transcend beyond affiliations.

A pity indeed.

Remember that the SBP leadership is elected for a term and again the phrase "federation shopping" here is misleading when what you are actually trying to point out is the democratic exercise of some organizations to choose who leads their national federation. These organizations will choose the leaders they feel best represents them. You may call it mob rule, but you have to live with that fact.

Yes, that's why I welcome a little display of dictatorship, so I don't have to keep living with that fact called mob rule. If we insisted on having "democracy" all the time, it would take forever to debate having a Serbian coach, implementing contracts for NT players to counter poaching by the PBA , or discussing the prospects of naturalizing a player, etc.

Of course, I'm digressing here....

I am not for BAP or SBP, and as I have always been crowing, I would only like both of them to work together because while one is ignored, we will never get out of the mess

It's possible for BAP-affiliated orgs to work with the SBP, but anybody who still believes that the hardline BAP can work with the SBP federation at this point in time would IMO be a real Pollyanna.

At some point, you have to realize that oil and water can't mix. To believe that the BAP is just organizing innocent basketball tournaments purely for the betterment of regional basketball with absolutely no intention of supplanting SBP authority is the height of gullibility, if not outright folly. Heck, we're still waiting for that Supreme Court appeal those BAP a++holes have threatened to file. Gaya nga ng sabi ko, mahirap yang mamamangka sa dalawang ilog na magkasalungat.

thadzonline
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM

Hmmm... I guess in a democracy, "illegal" is in the eye of the beholder. The decision penned by CA Associate Justice Guevara-Salonga specifically instructs the respondents (BAP) to cease and desist from further acting as officers of the SBP (the BAP bastards even tried to usurp the SBP name) and turn over the affairs of the organization to the petitioners (SBP).

Funny how we refer to democracy when it serves a point we lean towards and call it mod rule otherwise. While, I personally agree that BAP should abide by the CA decision to cease and desist from acting as officers of the SBP pending their SC appeal, let them organize their tournaments. If it serves them to grandstand or advance heir political motives, let the stakeholders be judges when the time to cast their vote comes. Just because we support the SBP does not mean we have the right to curtail them of their exercise of their political rights. I don't think that is usurpation of power if they are campaigning to be leaders of the federation for the next term. Sabi ko nga, the current SBP leadership has done nothing to counter their activities and you cannot blame BAP if they gain ground because of that.

No argument there. So long as everyone remembers that there's only one legitimate basketball NSA (SBP), there should be no problem.

A pity indeed.

Yes, that's why I welcome a little display of dictatorship, so I don't have to keep living with that fact called mob rule. If we insisted on having "democracy" all the time, it would take forever to debate having a Serbian coach, implementing contracts for NT players to counter poaching by the PBA , or discussing the prospects of naturalizing a player, etc.

Of course, I'm digressing here....

It's possible for BAP-affiliated orgs to work with the SBP, but anybody who still believes that the hardline BAP can work with the SBP federation at this point in time would IMO be a real Pollyanna.

At some point, you have to realize that oil and water can't mix. To believe that the BAP is just organizing innocent basketball tournaments purely for the betterment of regional basketball with absolutely no intention of supplanting SBP authority is the height of gullibility, if not outright folly. Heck, we're still waiting for that Supreme Court appeal those BAP a++holes have threatened to file. Gaya nga ng sabi ko, mahirap yang mamamangka sa dalawang ilog na magkasalungat.
[/quote]

"supplanting SBP authority" is another misleading term here. Keep in mind SBP is a national federation and the current SBP leadership is not elected to a perpetual term. And btw, in a highly-charged political environment which is the case in SBP, sabi nga nila, there are no permanent enemies, no permanent friendships, the only thing constant is change. We all can hope that change is for the better

thadzonline
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
[quote=thadzonline ]

Funny how we refer to democracy when it serves a point we lean towards and call it mod rule otherwise. While, I personally agree that BAP should abide by the CA decision to cease and desist from acting as officers of the SBP pending their SC appeal, let them organize their tournaments. If it serves them to grandstand or advance heir political motives, let the stakeholders be judges when the time to cast their vote comes. Just because we support the SBP does not mean we have the right to curtail them of their exercise of their political rights. I don't think that is usurpation of power if they are campaigning to be leaders of the federation for the next term. Sabi ko nga, the current SBP leadership has done nothing to counter their activities and you cannot blame BAP if they gain ground because of that.

"supplanting SBP authority" is another misleading term here. Keep in mind SBP is a national federation and the current SBP leadership is not elected to a perpetual term. As in any democratic electoral exercise, campaigning is a means to which one gains support. While those BAP people have been doing so now, the current SBP leadership rested on their successes which again, may not be enough. And btw, in a highly-charged political environment which is the case in SBP, sabi nga nila, there are no permanent enemies, no permanent friendships, the only thing constant is change. We all can hope that change is for the better

insulares
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Funny how we refer to democracy when it serves a point we lean towards and call it mod rule otherwise.

I wasn't the first to refer to democracy as a matter of convenience in this discussion. ;)

While, I personally agree that BAP should abide by the CA decision to cease and desist from acting as officers of the SBP pending their SC appeal, let them organize their tournaments. If it serves them to grandstand or advance heir political motives, let the stakeholders be judges when the time to cast their vote comes. Just because we support the SBP does not mean we have the right to curtail them of their exercise of their political rights.

By all means if this course of "bipartisan" action (I'll stop short of calling it "doble kara") is what these stakeholders feel will advance the cause of Cebu basketball, then good luck to you. You reap what you sow.

I don't think that is usurpation of power if they are campaigning to be leaders of the federation for the next term.

"campaigning"...Misleading - yes, but admittedly it's a creative way of spinning BAP-related activities.

"supplanting SBP authority" is another misleading term here. Keep in mind SBP is a national federation and the current SBP leadership is not elected to a perpetual term.

Who said anything about the current SBP leadership ruling in perpetuity? The only "leaders" entitled to perpetual terms are from the BAP. (think sec-gen for life.... ;D)

"Supplanting SBP authority" refers to the authority vested upon the current leaders serving a finite term. Nothing misleading there.

And btw, in a highly-charged political environment which is the case in SBP, sabi nga nila, there are no permanent enemies, no permanent friendships, the only thing constant is change. We all can hope that change is for the better

Very true. I really hope the basketball scene changes for the better for all regions of the country and not just a select few.

thadzonline
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Funny how we refer to democracy when it serves a point we lean towards and call it mod rule otherwise.

I wasn't the first to refer to democracy as a matter of convenience in this discussion. ;)

Yet I never referred it as mob rule. It's different when I refer to democracy than when you first called it mob rule the first time and when you refer to the term "illegal" as some subjective term in a democracy. For all intents and purposes in this discussion, I suppose it would have meant a technical legal term.

While, I personally agree that BAP should abide by the CA decision to cease and desist from acting as officers of the SBP pending their SC appeal, let them organize their tournaments. If it serves them to grandstand or advance heir political motives, let the stakeholders be judges when the time to cast their vote comes. Just because we support the SBP does not mean we have the right to curtail them of their exercise of their political rights.

By all means if this course of "bipartisan" action (I'll stop short of calling it "doble kara") is what these stakeholders feel will advance the cause of Cebu basketball, then good luck to you. You reap what you sow.
[/quote]

Perhaps I can only say something about Cebu, but I suppose this is happening elsewhere, in the NCR, in Luzon, in the Visayas or in Mindanao. And whether we like it or not, dun ka susuporta kung saan ka nakinabang. Call it whatever you like, but I'm sure you have lived long enough in the Philippines not to be naive of that political culture. Sabi ko nga while BAP is winning the support of many in the countryside, it is a pity that the current SBP leadership is doing nothing to counter it. How would these countryside organizations know when they only feel one party is doing something.

I don't think that is usurpation of power if they are campaigning to be leaders of the federation for the next term.

"campaigning"...Misleading - yes, but admittedly it's a creative way of spinning BAP-related activities.
[/quote]

With that statement, para mo na rin sinabing, oi bawal ang supporter ng BAP dito kahit lehitimong basketball stakeholder

"supplanting SBP authority" is another misleading term here. Keep in mind SBP is a national federation and the current SBP leadership is not elected to a perpetual term.

Who said anything about the current SBP leadership ruling in perpetuity? The only "leaders" entitled to perpetual terms are from the BAP. (think sec-gen for life.... ;D)

"Supplanting SBP authority" refers to the authority vested upon the current leaders serving a finite term. Nothing misleading there.
[/quote]
No argument about letting the current SBP leadership finish their terms. But that does not also mean that interested parties may campaign for support.

And btw, in a highly-charged political environment which is the case in SBP, sabi nga nila, there are no permanent enemies, no permanent friendships, the only thing constant is change. We all can hope that change is for the better

Very true. I really hope the basketball scene changes for the better for all regions of the country and not just a select few.
[/quote]

D_I_A
05-22-2009, 03:38 AM
well my take on this is SBP surely has its shortcomings when it comes to genuine grassroots development. this is the main reason why BAP continues to work as if it's a basketball NSA because it could easily assimilate itself in the countryside (provinces and regions) as for the SBP which is really focused on a general perspective of a national basketball program say NBTC and the National Team Program.

i just hope that SBP soon will start making its presence felt in the provinces and regions by organizing its own tournaments / leagues and strengthen basketball programs like coaching technology from Toroman and try to work out collegiate recruitment policies that would be applicable and equitable for all colleges and universities nationwide.

joelex
05-25-2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=471150&publicationSubCategoryId=69

"My worry is if Japeth plays for Powerade, what happens if he gets injured?" Eala said.

This statement is no different from accusations against the PBA for frowning on the lending of its players to the national team. I do not see how the SBP is really all for the country's cause as they claim to be with Eala's statement. Powerade is also a recognized national team and its really ridiculous for Eala to prevent Powerade from improving by putting Japeth in it lineup. Besides nauna talaga si coach Yeng for Japeth's services so I do not see the country first thing of Eala and the SBP on this one.

Criticize the BAP all you want, but look at your own backyard first!

digitalsuperman
05-25-2009, 07:21 AM
with regards to eala's statement. i think eala's sentiment is that if japeth plays for toroman and signs with the gilas, in case he is injured he will be covered, whereas with the powerade, they can only offer them 150k of salary for three months..

D_I_A
05-25-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=471150&publicationSubCategoryId=69

"My worry is if Japeth plays for Powerade, what happens if he gets injured?" Eala said.

This statement is no different from accusations against the PBA for frowning on the lending of its players to the national team. I do not see how the SBP is really all for the country's cause as they claim to be with Eala's statement. Powerade is also a recognized national team and its really ridiculous for Eala to prevent Powerade from improving by putting Japeth in it lineup. Besides nauna talaga si coach Yeng for Japeth's services so I do not see the country first thing of Eala and the SBP on this one.

hirap kasi sa atin, ikinakawing ang galit kay EALA sa issue ng RP-PBA Powerade Team. ito ang taktika ng mga gustong sumira sa SBP.

BAP Ibagsak!!!

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas

joelex
05-25-2009, 12:31 PM

hirap kasi sa atin, ikinakawing ang galit kay EALA sa issue ng RP-PBA Powerade Team. ito ang taktika ng mga gustong sumira sa SBP.

BAP Ibagsak!!!

Problema kasi sa atin, nagmumukha tayong ulol sa pagdedepensa sa SBP eh mismong sila sila nagkakawatak watak at nagsisiraan. Maaaring hindi pa, pero bilang ang araw kung kailan makikita natin ang pag litaw ng sari-sariling interes sa pagitan ng mga pinuno ng SBP at sila sila rin ang magiging dahilan sa pag bagsak ng SBP.

Hindi ko gustong siraan ang SBP gaya ng pag ka tuwa mo sa pagbagsak ng BAP. Lets just recognize glaring mistakes by either and aim to correct rather than blindly following some quarters and neglecting obvious faults.

;) ;) ;)

zytrexx
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
sa totoo lang, Japeth is not an official PBA player yet, dapat sa Smart Gilas muna sya maglalaro bago sasali sa Powerade-PBA selection....

thadzonline
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I still do not get what is with this US versus THEM mentality being patronized by both BAP and SBP. Why does everything have to be so polarized when there is a better way to do things together? Problema kasi sa basketball natin ang daming pera at opportunity to appear powerful kaya ganyan.

D_I_A
05-26-2009, 01:46 AM

BAP Ibagsak!!!

Problema kasi sa atin, nagmumukha tayong ulol sa pagdedepensa sa SBP eh mismong sila sila nagkakawatak watak at nagsisiraan. Maaaring hindi pa, pero bilang ang araw kung kailan makikita natin ang pag litaw ng sari-sariling interes sa pagitan ng mga pinuno ng SBP at sila sila rin ang magiging dahilan sa pag bagsak ng SBP.

Hindi ko gustong siraan ang SBP gaya ng pag ka tuwa mo sa pagbagsak ng BAP. Lets just recognize glaring mistakes by either and aim to correct rather than blindly following some quarters and neglecting obvious faults.

;) ;) ;)

pinupuna ko rin naman ang SBP, hirap sa iyo nauulol ka sa pagbatikos ng pumupuna sa sinasabi mo.

tama parehong may pagkukulang ang SBP at BAP pero di naman katumbas ng sa BAP mo ang nagawang kakulangan ng SBP sa ngayon.

kaululan man no hindi hangal lang ang papayag na maibalik ang siyang naging dahilan ng pagbasak ng ating bansa sa larangan ng basketball.

;) ;) ;)