PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Fights, Scuffles And Fisticuffs

Dark Knight
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Any fond memories of the UAAP's best "fights"? I witnessed a lot but since im already suffering from memory loss due to age, i only remember a few.

2003 - La Salle fans ganged up on Rich Alvarez and Rico Villanueva.

2007 - Brian Ilad punching Fampulme on his back.

? - the Steve Rolan of AdU and Rico Villanueva tussle.

Dark Knight
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I forgot LA Tenorio sneaking one on Jerwin Gaco. ;D

tigerman
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
2004 - Mac Cardona vs. Warren de Guzman
- The two were battling for a good rebounding position and all of a sudden Capt. Hook "pinched" Warren's nipple and the latter understandably got mad and confronted Cardona. ;D
- To my dismay, Coach Bigote assaulted de Guzman instead of trying to bring back order in the game.

1999 - Jeff Valeriano vs. Rich Alvarez
- Rich, in his rookie year, got his 1st taste of UAAP trashtalking thanks to Mr. Valeriano. :D It became a free-for-all between the blue and gold side and the game was resumed in a closed-door policy @ lyceum.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

atenean_blooded
04-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I remember the La Salle fans getting pwned by Villanueva, Alvarez, and Andrew Cruz in 2003. No malice intended in this assessment, of course. Just calling a spade a spade.

And I also remember that particular incident between Cardona and de Guzman. Pero rebound ba yun? I think it was during an inbound situation. Ang nakakatawa sa incident na yun, si de Guzman yung thrown out of the game. ;D

Rico Villanueva was also suspended in 2000 and 2001 due to fisticuffs, resulting in Rich Alvarez getting the MVP plum in those years. I'm not sure who the other party was in 2000 (I think it was someone from UE), and I think 2001 was the one with Steve Rolan.

In 2001, Coach Joe Lipa was also thrown out of a game versus Adamson after he threw a steel chair into the playing court.

Rich Alvarez nearly got into fisticuffs with Carlo Sharma in 2002.

There was also the infamous "batok-takbo" incident involving La Salle's Manny Salgado when he assaulted FEU's Arwind Santos.

And while this isn't exactly UAAP, then-UAAP player Joseph Yeo clotheslined PBA player Rico Villanueva during one of the Ateneo-La Salle "dream games" hosted by the PBA.

And there are also incidents which involved fans throwing stuff onto the playing court.

Bruticus
05-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I remember the La Salle fans getting pwned by Villanueva, Alvarez, and Andrew Cruz in 2003. No malice intended in this assessment, of course. Just calling a spade a spade.

And I also remember that particular incident between Cardona and de Guzman. Pero rebound ba yun? I think it was during an inbound situation. Ang nakakatawa sa incident na yun, si de Guzman yung thrown out of the game. ;D

Rico Villanueva was also suspended in 2000 and 2001 due to fisticuffs, resulting in Rich Alvarez getting the MVP plum in those years. I'm not sure who the other party was in 2000 (I think it was someone from UE), and I think 2001 was the one with Steve Rolan.

I think it was against Arnold Booker of UE. What was that fight in the 80's wherein a father of one of the players pulled out a gun fired a warning shot ?

pio_valenz
05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
^UP-Ateneo, 1988. Jet Nieto's dad fired warning shots to break up a melee that was threatening to escalate into a full-blown rumble. Both benches had already emptied. It all started when Nieto himself hit UP's Tata Marata on the back of the head and Marata spun around and punched Sef Canlas in the face, thinking it was Canlas who had suckerpunched him.

The amazing thing was, not a single player was suspended afterwards.

Kid Cubao
05-02-2009, 06:44 AM
^^ and those warning shots punctured the roof of rizal memorial, which caused it to leak heavily because it was raining at the time ;D

pepman
05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
In the late 80's mukhang nag-away sila Rafa Dinglasan and an Atenean player (I can't remember), anyone confirm this?

mapleleafs
05-07-2009, 01:47 AM
In the late 80's mukhang nag-away sila Rafa Dinglasan and an Atenean player (I can't remember), anyone confirm this?

This took place outside the UAAP. After Ateneo beat DLSU in the 88 UAAP finals, they met again in the semifinals of the Inter Collegiate league. The game was a foregone conclusion with Ateneo on top in the dying seconds. Then one Ateneo player rubbed it in by saying "better luck next time" to the LS bench. All hell then broke loose at the Ultra with the fans getting involved. Fighting took place not only on the hardcourt but up the stands as well and I think it took about 30 minutes to settle everything down. Real nasty and unfortunate incident. Luckily, we have not seen anything of this magnitude in the UAAP. The Gaco-Tenorio & Villanueva-DLSU fans incidents (which I just saw through the web) were nothing compared to what happened that day. Hope it never gets to that again.

BigBlue
05-07-2009, 09:29 PM

This took place outside the UAAP. After Ateneo beat DLSU in the 88 UAAP finals, they met again in the semifinals of the Inter Collegiate league. The game was a foregone conclusion with Ateneo on top in the dying seconds. Then one Ateneo player rubbed it in by saying "better luck next time" to the LS bench. All hell then broke loose at the Ultra with the fans getting involved. Fighting took place not only on the hardcourt but up the stands as well and I think it took about 30 minutes to settle everything down. Real nasty and unfortunate incident. Luckily, we have not seen anything of this magnitude in the UAAP. The Gaco-Tenorio & Villanueva-DLSU fans incidents (which I just saw through the web) were nothing compared to what happened that day. Hope it never gets to that again.

Sa pagkaka-kwento sa akin, no one from the ateneo bench immediately stood up to come to the aid of their "beloved" team mate. ;D naging teacher ko pa man din yung player na yan sa hayskul.

always green
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM

That's right, rafa had a scuffle with a certain BJ Del Rosario. If rumors were right, the Father of Rafa invited the Del Rosarios for dinner to make peace after the incident.

A-boy97
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
^Not sure if BJ din nickname niya but definitely he is more known as Billy del Rosario. Great math teacher before. Really helped students, especially student-athletes. He was a smart student also, coming from the honors class in high school! ;)

fujima04
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM

That's right, rafa had a scuffle with a certain BJ Del Rosario. If rumors were right, the Father of Rafa invited the Del Rosarios for dinner to make peace after the incident.

Billy pala. Akala ko BadJie Del Rosario. Just kiddin'. ;D

THE ONLOOKER
06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
DLSU team assistant manager Manny Salgado vs. Arwind Santos

bchoter
06-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Sayang hindi puwede ang pre-UAAP. 2-0 pa naman si Jervy kay Ilad :D

bowtoBLUE
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM

it doesn't count as a fight if the f@gg0t ran away after a sucker punch.

best uaap fight - Jerwin Ga(c/g)o and LA Tenorio

THE ONLOOKER
06-14-2009, 10:13 PM

it doesn't count as a fight if the f@gg0t ran away after a sucker punch.

best uaap fight - Jerwin Ga(c/g)o and LA Tenorio

If I remembered it right, Santos walked away with his trademark "pang-asar" smile. :)

Dark Knight
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
not really a fight but recently,

Webb vs Austria. The kick of the season.

Cervantes vs Llagas. The armlock of the season. ;D