PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA Draft

mighty_lion
04-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Top 1 slot is locked for Blake Griffin. Period.

1. Who are your lottery hopefuls?
2. Who are the sleepers in this draft?
3. Who will be the next Adam Morrison or Joe Alexander? Players who gifted scorers and freak athlete in college but struggled to translate their game in the NBA.

coreytaylor
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
The Lottery Hopefuls for me are: Hasheem Thabeet of UConn, Ricky Rubio of Spain, & James Harden of Arizona State.

Next Adam Morrison: Tyler Hansbrough

irateluvmachine
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
1.* james harden, jordan hill, hasheem thabeet.* official na bang sasali sa draft si ricky rubio?* if that's the case, then count him in as another sure-fire lottery pick...
2.* would eric maynor be considered a sleeper?* never heard of him until a couple weeks ago...
3.* stephen curry.* best case scenario, he may end up in a similar role as his dad - instant offense as 6th or 7th man.* but as a 6'1 PG-SG tweener, he may have some difficulty adjusting in the big leagues...

Outlander
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Unlike previous NBA drafts, I'm not that excited about the upcoming 2009 edition. Other than the clear-cut #1 Blake Griffin, all the other lottery prospects have their strengths and weaknesses which will no doubt be heavily scrutinized by the NBA teams up until draft day. I hope Ricky Rubio and his agent come up soon with a reasonable contract buyout from his Spanish team, otherwise he'll just wait to join the draft for another time.

mighty_lion
04-17-2009, 09:36 AM
My pick for this years' sleeper is Terrence Williams of Louisville Cardinals. 6'6 220lbs SG/SF 21 yrs old. His stock his too low mainly because he is already a senior and the guy lacks consistency on his outside shooting. The guy is freak athlete and has the potential to be a stud defender in the next level. He is also one of the reason why Louisville is rated one of the best defensive team this season.

What captures me most is this statistics: 5 assists and 2.3 turnovers per game or 2.2 assist/turnover ratio. Assist/turnover ratio that high means a guy has good court vision, has good basketball IQ and at least above average ball handling skills. I find that as somewhat unusual for a wing player in college. Save for James Harden, there are not other wing player available in the draft who has such playmaking skills. Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrence-Williams-507/) compares him to a poorman's Andre Igoudala.

coreytaylor
04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
This years' sleeper for me is Sam Young of Pittsburgh.

john_paul_manahan
04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
i linked the list of who has declares declared on the nCAA thread in hoopedia

BigBlue
04-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Report: Rubio to enter NBA draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/04/21/rubio.ap/index.html?eref=si_nba)

BADALONA, Spain (AP) -- Top Spanish basketball prospect Ricky Rubio has decided to enter June's NBA Draft, according to Spanish reports.

The 18-year-old Rubio, who is under contract with Spanish club DKV Joventut through 2011, has been rated one of the top picks for the June 25 draft.

Rubio, who was a member of Spain's silver medal-winning team at the Beijing Olympics last summer, has until Sunday to register, although he can also withdraw up to 10 days before the draft at New York's Madison Square Garden.

The 6-foot-2 point guard, whose buy-out clause with Joventut is $7.8 million, has averaged 9.9 points and 5.7 assists this season for the Spanish club. Rubio turns 19 in October to meet the NBA's age requirement.

mighty_lion
04-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Rubio is not worth top 5 pick in this draft class? I did watch him during olympics and recently in euroleague but its just that I dont find anything special about his game other than he is young. He aint that athletic and I dont see anything special about his playmaking skills. He looks like a Mario Chalmers to me.* :-\

joelex
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
While he was known for a lot of his fancy passes ala Pete Maravich, what surprised me was his tough pressure defense. I remember him getting into Chris Paul's head and had a couple of steals against him. Also, he gave China's Liu Wei a long night after spearheading Spain's come from behind victory over China with him at the forefront of their full court press. Liu Wei just couldnt get past half court.

erichubert
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
In a draft as weak as this, Rubio is definitely worth a top 5 or even a top 3 pick. Among the top recruits, I think Rubio has the biggest upside and potential and we all know that drafts are all about potentials. For me, its Griffin no.1, Rubio no. 2, Thabeet no. 3.

Outlander
04-22-2009, 04:17 PM
The deadline for underclassmen to declare is on April 26, and a handful*of potential lottery picks are said to be returning to school- Willie Warren, Al-Farouq Aminu, Greg Monroe, Ed Davis, etc. So players like Rubio, Thabeet, and Jordan Hill looks to have an excellent chance at getting drafted in the top 5 of the 2009 draft.

salsa caballero
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
DeJuan Blair fan here. I think he will be the sleeper of this draft. Jai Lewis of RoS is a nice facsimile of Blair. But Blair is even stronger and better-skilled. Unlike Lewis, he is a legit NBA-caliber player rather than someone who over-achieved in college.

Outlander
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Lawson & Ellington of UNC have declared for the draft, as well as Curry of Davidson. I think Lawson and Curry have a decent shot at being picked in the lottery, depending on team needs at the guard positions.

biboy
04-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Lawson & Ellington of UNC have declared for the draft, as well as Curry of Davidson. I think Lawson and Curry have a decent shot at being picked in the lottery, depending on team needs at the guard positions.

how about jeff teague of the wake forest???

coreytaylor
04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
^^ Jeff Teague might withdraw from the draft

Outlander
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/04/25/duke.henderson.ap/index.html

Henderson declares for NBA draft

Posted: Saturday April 25, 2009 4:07PM; Updated: Saturday April 25, 2009 4:07PM

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Gerald Henderson is entering the NBA draft but is keeping open the option to return to Duke for his senior season.

The school said in an announcement Saturday that Henderson has not hired an agent.

The swingman was widely expected to test his draft stock after a productive junior year in which he led the Blue Devils with 16.5 points and scoring at least 10 points in 31 games this season.

He helped Duke win its 11th Atlantic Coast Conference tournament title, finish 30-7 and reach the NCAA tournament's round of 16 for the first time since 2006.

Henderson's decision came a day before the deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft. Those who have not hired agents may withdraw by June 15.

Outlander
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
how about jeff teague of the wake forest???

Jeff Teague has declared for the NBA draft, and should improve his draft stock during workouts. I don't think he'll withdraw his name, unless he suffers an injury (like what happened to Brandon Rush a few years back).

coreytaylor
05-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Patrick Patterson opts to returns to Kentucky. May legit title contender na ang Kansas. Sino pa kaya magiging malakas next season?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-kentucky-patterson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Outlander
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/05/19/henderson.ap/index.html

Duke's Henderson signs with agent

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Duke's Gerald Henderson has signed with an agent and will remain in the NBA draft.

The school said Tuesday the 6-foot-4 junior has signed with Arn Tellem, becoming the 10th player under coach Mike Krzyzewski to leave early for the NBA. Henderson entered his name in the draft shortly before last month's deadline for underclassmen to declare.

Henderson was a third-team Associated Press All-American last season and led the Blue Devils with about 17 points per game. Duke reached the NCAA tournament's round of 16 and won the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament title.

Still, Duke will have four starters back from a 30-win team, including Kyle Singler and Jon Scheyer.

The NBA draft is June 25.

Outlander
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av6aJ9W5kSqWzdXwSukNU3o5nYcB?slug=ap-draftlottery&prov=ap&type=lgns

Clippers win lottery, will have top pick in draft

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer

SECAUCUS, N.J. (AP)—The Los Angeles Clippers won the NBA’s draft lottery Tuesday night and own the No. 1 pick in next month’s draft.

The Clippers moved up from the third-best chance to earn the top pick for the third time, earning the right to draft All-America forward Blake Griffin of Oklahoma, the national college player of the year.

Memphis vaulted to second and Oklahoma City will pick third.

Sacramento, which had the best chance to win the lottery after finishing with a league-worst 17-65 record, fell to fourth, and Washington dropped from second to No. 5.

The Clippers last had the No. 1 pick in 1998 and, perhaps predictably, blew it, taking eventual bust Michael Olowokandi.

They stand a better chance of getting it right this time if they go with Griffin, who led the nation with 30 double-doubles and 14.4 rebounds per game, while also averaging a Big 12-best 22.7 points as a sophomore.

The top three teams all moved up, making the 25th lottery as unpredictable as most of its predecessors. Not since 2004, when Orlando took Dwight Howard(notes), had the team with the best chance to win ended up with the No. 1 pick.

The draft is June 25.

Minnesota has the sixth pick followed by Golden State, New York, Toronto, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Charlotte, Indiana and Phoenix.

arjay_g
05-20-2009, 05:17 PM
^ if they pick Blake Griffin (which I'm sure they will) logjam of bigs na sila. I'm expecting some trades from the Clips involving their big men. I wouldn't even be surprised if they shipped this pick for an established vet. They need dependable back-up guards to Davis and Gordon.

MonL
05-21-2009, 08:52 AM
^ if they pick Blake Griffin (which I'm sure they will) logjam of bigs na sila. I'm expecting some trades from the Clips involving their big men. I wouldn't even be surprised if they shipped this pick for an established vet. They need dependable back-up guards to Davis and Gordon.

No brainer it is.

The last time they got the No. 1 Pick, in 1998, they missed out on guys like Bibby (2), Jamison (4) Carter (5), Nowitzki (9) Pierce (10) and even Rashard Lewis (2nd round)to get Olo-watsisname who just plain bombed out. They might have gotten a better return with LaFrentz(3).

But then hindsight is 20-20, so to speak.

mighty_lion
05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Eric Gordon and Blake Griffen seems like a good building block of the future to me.

If I am Dunleavy I would try my best to move Randolph, Davis and Kaman out of LA land for expirings and youth. Looking at the west roster, its better to go the Portland way of rebuilding.

Outlander
05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6151

Here's a link for the information on the 2009 NBA Draft Combine: Player Measurements.

coreytaylor
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
No brainer it is.

The last time they got the No. 1 Pick, in 1998, they missed out on guys like Bibby (2), Jamison (4) Carter (5), Nowitzki (9) Pierce (10) and even Rashard Lewis (2nd round)to get Olo-watsisname who just plain bombed out. They might have gotten a better return with LaFrentz(3).

But then hindsight is 20-20, so to speak.

Olowakandi! the #1 pick who became a journeyman in the NBA with a short-lived career. I think his last destination was in Boston. I wonder where he is now.

Outlander
06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Another guy who I like in this draft is Earl Clark of Lousville. He's a legit 6-10, and can play the 3/4. He has been compared to Marvin Williams and Lamar Odom, but he has some consistency/ motivation issues that he needs to work on, in order to reach his potential.

Tyler Hansbrough of UNC measured 6'9.5 in shoes, which is decent height for the power forward position. While he won't be a star in the NBA, his aggressiveness in going after rebounds will be useful off the bench, and should be good value for teams picking in the 20's.

pio_valenz
06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
^Hansbrough hasn't rated highly in a lot of draft predictions, and the consensus is he'll be a journeyman at best. But I don't know. I think he'll have a very productive NBA career.

Outlander
06-12-2009, 12:40 AM
^ True, since Tyler played all 4 seasons with UNC (quite rare these days in the NCAA), a lot of people have been able to criticize his game and discuss his flaws for several years now. North Carolina did win a national championship this year, so Hansbrough made the right choice in going back to school, since he was never going to be a lottery pick in the draft anyway. He is old though for his draft class (turning 24 this November), so he has to work hard on the things that he is actually good at, and hope that he lands with a team that will give him proper minutes to adjust and develop.

mighty_lion
06-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I see Hansbrough as 15-8 solid role player in the NBA. Luis Scola, David Lee type. Or Udonis Haslem with better scoring skills. Tyler is well coached player. No one else comes close in that regard among the players projected to be picked in the 1st round. Picking someone like Austin Daye or BJ Mullens ahead would be a HUGE mistake.

Outlander
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
^ BJ Mullens is the third straight Ohio State Center who declared early for the NBA draft after only 1 year in college, but he is just not ready to play in the big league. He had some problems with his coach Thad Matta during the season, and that's probably a major reason why he doesn't want to stay in school, but Mullens will probably spend a lot of time at the end of the bench and in the D-League this upcoming season for whichever team drafts him in the 1st round.

coreytaylor
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Minnesota will have the 6th,18th,& 28th picks in the 1st round, as well as the 45th & 47th picks in the 2nd round in the upcoming draft. I just hope that they will not waste these picks to a trade or picking a player who they don't need. As of this year, they need to pick 1. a PG who can complement Randy Foye in the backcourt, 2. a true C, Al Jefferson will be the starting PF (Sori Kevin Love your not a C, you're more of PF), & 3. another C (they need to add some size in their line-up and have another back-up bigman) & 4-5. a SG who can shoot or defend and a another back-up PG.

coreytaylor
06-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Brandon Jennings thinks he’s better than “overhyped” Ricky Rubio
http://www.interbasket.net/news/2496/2009/06/12/brandon-jennings-thinks-hes-better-than-overhyped-ricky-rubio/

Brandon Jennings used some strong words in an upcoming Sports Illustrated article to explain how he isn’t as impressed with Ricky Rubio as everyone else seems to be.

In fact, Jennings is underwhelmed.

The 6-2 Jennings believes that he is the better player of the two, and that the Spanish prospect is a product of hype.

“Yeah, I think I’m a better player than he is,” Jennings told reporters after a workout with the Sacramento Kings. “I just shoot the ball better than he can. The only thing I’ve seen him do sometimes is when he has a home-run pass or something like that.”

Jennings referred to their one head-to-head matchup in the Euroleague this season, “Well, when I played him, he had zero points, two assists and two turnovers. So you tell me how that went.”

In fact, not only does Jennings think he is better than Rubio, but he suggests that Rubio would be exposed in a workout with other 2009 NBA point guard prospects Stephon Curry, Ty Lawson, Jrue Holiday, and Jonny Flynn.

“Well, put it like this: If he was in a workout, (Rubio) wouldn’t probably be at the top,” Jennings told SI.com.

“I think the dude is just all hype, I can’t even front. I’m just going to be real with you guys.”

The two teenage point guards recently shared the cover of SLAM magazine.

Rubio is projected to go #2 in this month’s NBA Draft, and the first point guard taken. Brandon Jennings is likely to be the second point guard taken, probably around the 10-15 picks. The 2009 NBA Draft is June 16th, 2009.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you think guys? Over-hyped ba talaga si Rubio?

Outlander
06-16-2009, 12:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Am2mUI58YrOHLjlap85LwGa8vLYF?slug=ap-draft-hansbrough&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hansbrough ready for wait to end

By DOUG ALDEN, AP Sports Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (AP)—Tyler Hansbrough has heard the speculation about where he’ll go in the NBA draft.

He’s a little curious, himself.

Hansbrough is making a pre-draft tour, working out for NBA teams and trying to validate a resume that includes college player of the year in 2008 and a national championship this season.

“It’s a lot of speculation right now,” Hansbrough said Monday after working out for the Utah Jazz. “You really don’t know who to believe. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.”

Fortunately for Hansbrough, the waiting is almost over. Less than two weeks remain before the draft June 25, when Hansbrough will learn which draft prediction was right.

Although he set the Atlantic Coast Conference career scoring record in four years at North Carolina, he has been projected to go anywhere in the first round — from early to late—or possibly even in the second round.

“It’s tough, but you have to understand that’s the way it is,” Hansbrough said. “I’ll continue to work out for teams and see what happens. I’m more athletic than a lot of people think I am. A lot of people see me as just a hard worker, but I do a little more than work hard.”

The Jazz liked what they saw from Hansbrough, but have no idea whether he will still be available when they come up in the first round with the 20th overall pick.

Coach Jerry Sloan loves players who work hard and was impressed by Hansbrough, who worked out with a group that included Arizona State forward Jeff Pendergraph and Taj Gibson of Southern California.

“They knocked and banged around,” said Sloan, who is still recovering from having his right knee replaced a few days after the season ended.

Sloan, who normally spends this time working on his farm in southern Illinois, said he’s been stuck at home for the past week and was happy to finally get out and back to work.

He said blood clots after the operation April 30 set back his recovery, but he should be ready to go for his 22nd season with the Jazz.

“It’s been tough but that’s what I expected,” Sloan said. “I’m a lot better than I was and I’m pretty happy about that, but I’m disappointed from the standpoint that I’m a couple weeks behind.”

Sloan was clearly happy to be back at the gym, getting a look at who could be in his next rookie class. He’s also still waiting to hear which veterans are coming back as forward Carlos Boozer(notes), center Mehmet Okur(notes) and forward Kyle Korver(notes) decide whether to opt out of the final year of their contracts.

The Jazz aren’t likely to know before the draft.

If Hansbrough is still available, his reputation for a staunch work ethic could make him an early favorite with Sloan.

“Guys that are willing to work always get better. That’s a huge thing in this business,” Sloan said. “That’s what you look for because it gives your team a chance to be competitive. Guys that really want to play and want to make themselves better can do that through hard work.”

Outlander
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AnerVxp2Fq2mIxox51zXd9fevbYF?slug=ap-teague-nba&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wake Forest guard Teague staying in NBA draft

By AARON BEARD, AP Sports Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Wake Forest star Jeff Teague is staying in the NBA draft, ending his college career after just two seasons.

Teague announced in April he would declare but not hire an agent, allowing him the option of returning to school in Winston-Salem for his junior year. But coach Dino Gaudio said Teague told him shortly before Monday afternoon’s deadline to withdraw that he would stay in the draft.

“I’m very excited for the opportunity that Jeff has in front of him,” Gaudio said in an interview with The Associated Press. “It’s his dream to play in the NBA. I’m glad we were able to help him reach that goal.

“I told his mom and dad, ‘Thanks for giving me the opportunity to coach your son for two years.”’

Gaudio said he figured Teague was a 50-50 bet to stay in the draft when he first declared, and he expects the 6-foot-2 guard will be a first-round pick.

“I think if Jeff never worked out for anyone, Jeff is a first-round pick,” Gaudio said. “These NBA scouts have seen us play six, seven or eight times. They’re not going to make some decision on a kid just from an hour-and-a-half workout.”

Teague worked out Monday for his hometown team, the Indiana Pacers, along with fellow Atlantic Coast Conference guard Ty Lawson of North Carolina.

Teague led the Demon Deacons (24-7) at about 19 points per game, helping them earn a No. 1 ranking in January before being upset by Cleveland State 84-69 in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Teague was a second-team all-ACC pick.

Teague is the second sophomore to declare from the Demon Deacons, joining forward James Johnson. The 6-9 forward signed with an agent in April, robbing the Demon Deacons of their No. 2 scorer (15 points) and top rebounder (8.5).

After losing Teague and Johnson, the Demon Deacons will rely more heavily on sophomore Al-Farouq Aminu (12.9 points per game), and seniors Chas McFarland, L.D. Williams and Ish Smith.

The draft is June 25.

coreytaylor
06-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Rubio's stock rising and falling
By Chad Ford
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4261379

Spanish point guard sensation Ricky Rubio is staying in the 2009 NBA draft his agent, Dan Fegan, told ESPN.com on Monday.

The question is, where will he land on draft night?

For most of the year Rubio was the consensus No. 2 pick in the draft. But after the lottery was settled last month, things became much more interesting. The chances of Rubio slipping in the draft seem to grow by the day.

While NBA executives are in love with Rubio's skill set, they are worried about his lack of strength, inconsistent shooting and a looming war with his Spanish team, DKV Joventut, over Rubio's whopping $6 million-plus buyout. Rubio has filed a grievance with the Spanish league looking to reduce the buyout. A complicated situation with the Spanish IRS and the team have only muddied the waters.

Rubio's been pretty adamant that he doesn't want to be in Memphis, which holds the No. 2 pick in the draft. While he doesn't have the same objection to Oklahoma City, which holds the third pick, sources say the Thunder are leaning toward drafting either James Harden or Stephen Curry.

Rubio appeared to be a lock to go to the Kings at No. 4. The team needs a point guard and general manager Geoff Petrie has been a fan of international players in the past. But sources in Sacramento say that the Kings have reservations about Rubio and it's far from a done deal that they'd take him if he was on the board at No. 4.

Rubio has also been avoiding the Wizards, who pick at No. 5. His camp believes he's not a good fit in a backcourt with Gilbert Arenas.

All of that uncertainty could lead to an interesting dilemma for Rubio on draft night. His agent has been working with both the Thunder and Grizzlies to find another team willing to trade up. But with just 10 days to go before the draft, there still isn't a deal.

Rubio was on a flight from Barcelona to Los Angeles that was scheduled to arrive Monday evening. Over the course of the next few days Rubio will decide his next course of action. Most likely he'll visit several teams, including the Thunder and Kings. However, the chances that he actually does a workout are slim.

coreytaylor
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Daye leaving Gonzaga for NBA
By Andy Katz
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4261274

Austin Daye was looking for a first-round guarantee. He still doesn't have one, but the Gonzaga sophomore forward is willing to take the risk by staying in the draft.

Ford: NBA Draft buzz

Stay up to date with all the latest trade buzz and rumors on who's going where in the 2009 NBA Draft. Story Insider

Gonzaga coach Mark Few said Monday that he spoke with Daye, just 40 minutes before the 5 p.m. ET deadline to withdraw, and Daye told him he wasn't returning to school.

"We're excited for Austin. It's what he wants to do," Few said in a news release. "He was great to coach and was a great teammate. He will be missed."

Daye worked out Monday morning with the New York Knicks, who are unlikely to select him since the Knicks select at No. 8. Daye has also worked out for New Jersey (11), Charlotte (12), Phoenix (14) and Detroit (15).

The 6-foot-10 Daye is considered one of the most skilled players in the draft, but questions about his toughness and ability to take the pounding of the NBA have dogged him throughout the draft process. His father, Darren, played in the NBA for the Boston Celtics.

Daye becomes the third Bulldogs player to enter the NBA draft early, joining Paul Rogers in 1997 and Adam Morrison in 2006. Both left their junior seasons.

Daye averaged 12.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per game as a sophomore. He averaged 10.5 points and 4.7 rebounds as a freshman.

Losing Daye is a hit for Gonzaga, which already was losing seniors Jeremy Pargo, Josh Heytvelt and Micah Downs. But Gonzaga does bring back guards Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson, who all contributed plenty during the Zags' run to the Sweet 16 this past season. Few said he expects a collection of players, including small forward Kelly Olynyk out of Canada to spell some of Daye's minutes and frontcourt scoring.

coreytaylor
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Mills to leave Saint Mary's for draft
By Andy Katz
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4261338

Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett held out hope throughout the weekend that Patty Mills would look at the dearth of point guards in the draft, see that he was a borderline first-round pick and then decide to return to Moraga for his junior season.

Bennett waited until the final minutes of the deadline Monday afternoon when he finally got word that Mills was staying in the June 25 draft.

Stay up to date with all the latest trade buzz and rumors on who's going where in the 2009 NBA Draft. Story Insider

The one word text Bennett sent, "Gone," symbolized the Gaels' frustrations. Gone is the Australian Olympian, the Gaels' headline name and their link to possibly catching Gonzaga in the WCC or a possible NCAA tournament berth.

Mills went to the Reebok Eurocamp last week in Treviso, Italy where he shined well enough to warrant staying in the draft.

Bennet cited Mills' work ethic and pasion for the game in a statement, saying he will flourish as a professional.

"I respect and support Pat's decision to stay in the draft and we wish him the very best in his pursuit to play in the NBA," Bennett said in the release. "He's been a tremendous ambassador to our basketball program, and we will miss him as a person, a leader, and a basketball player."

Mills played in 26 games for the Gaels, averaging 18.4 points and 3.9 assists. He missed nine games last season with a broken right hand. He returned for the WCC tournament but wasn't well enough to lead the Gaels to the NCAA tournament.

Saint Mary's lost to San Diego State in the postseason NIT quarterfinals.

"I want to thank the coaching staff, and especially my teammates at Saint Mary's, as they have played a major part in helping me get to this point in my career," Mills said a statement released by the school. "I appreciate everything they have done to help me along the way, and they deserve a lot of the credit. Saint Mary's is my home away from home."

coreytaylor
06-16-2009, 05:52 PM
USC's Gibson to stay in NBA draft pool
By Pat Forde
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4260352

USC forward Taj Gibson confirmed to ESPN.com via Twitter Monday afternoon that he is keeping his name in the NBA draft and forgoing his remaining season of eligibility at USC.

Gibson joins a crowded exodus from USC, up to and including coach Tim Floyd.

Demar DeRozan already has turned pro and signed with an agent, and guard Daniel Hackett signed a contract to play professionally in Italy. Even Marcus Johnson, not a projected draft pick, threw his name in as well.

Ford: NBA Draft buzz

Several recruits also have de-committed from the Trojans, as storm clouds from an ongoing NCAA investigation build over the program.

The 6-foot-9 Gibson is projected by most draft analysts as a second-round pick. Gibson was the Trojans' No. 2 scorer at 14.3 points per game and leading rebounder at 9.0 for a team that won the Pacific-10 tournament and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Agent Aaron Mintz said he had signed Gibson.

Mintz said Gibson felt he was going to be in a range he coveted (middle to late first round in the June 25 draft). Mintz said many people had wrongly presumed Gibson was in the draft because of his age but that he did consider going back to USC.

Outlander
06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
NBA draft 2009 is already next week! A couple of months ago, I wasn't really that interested in this particular draft class, but with all the workouts, draft rumours, and player highlights all over the Internet these days, I'm now excited to see where all the players end up in the NBA. I checked the BTV website, they will be showing the NBA draft live next Friday, with a replay in the evening.

mighty_lion
06-26-2009, 08:13 AM
1. LA Clippers - Blake Griffin 6'10 PF - Clippers New Franchise Player
2. Memphis Grizzles - Hasheem Thabeet 7'2 C - Start Marc Gasol at PF and then Thabeet at C? That is as slow as Z at PF and Shaq at C. I hope Memphis know what they are doing. This is a BIG BIG mistake.
3. Oklahoma Thunder - James Harden 6'5 SG - Solid pick. Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Green-Whoever. Solid future young core. I starting to love this franchise
4. Sacramento Kings - Tryeke Evans 6'5 G - Solid pick and would fit nicely alongside Kevin Martin. The negative side of this is Kings will end up an Evans and Martin show and no one else. Those two needs the ball in their hands to be effective and neither are players who make others better.
5. Minny Timberwolves - Ricky Rubio - 6'4 PG - Point guard of the future that is.
6. Minny Timberwolves - Jonny Flynn 6'0 PG - Point guard of the future... wait... WTF are they doing. One of Rubio and Flynn will be sent somewhere I guess. I never thought a team will pick Fylnn this high.
7. GS Warriors - 6'2 G - Curry, Biedris, and Brandan Wright to the Suns for Amare?
8. NY Knicks - 6'10 Jordan Hill - Either he stays or will be shipped to Minny for one of their PGs.
9. Toronto Raptors - Demar Derozan 6'6 G/F. Sorry guys, I think Raptors just got the modern day Gerald Green
10. Brandon Jennings - 6'1 PG - Nice pick. Hedge for potential.
11. NJ Nets - Terrence Williams 6'5 G/F - Next Andre Igoudala or next Antonio Daniels?
12. Charlotte Bobcats - Gerald Henderson 6'5 SG - Perfect fit but from what I heard MJ prefers Terrence Williams
13. Indiana Pacers - Tyler Hansbrough 6'9 PF - Nice fit. Safe pick.
14. Phoenix Suns - Earl Clark 6'10 F - The rebuilding Suns.
15. Detroit Pistons - Austin Daye 6'10 F - Next Tyshaun Prince project.
16. Chicago Bulls - James Johnson 6'8 F - A more athletic Ryan Gomes?
17. Philly Sixers - Jrue Holiday 6'4 G - Project PG.
18. Minny - Ty Lawson 6'0 PG - This is getting funny.
19. Atlanta Hawks - Jeff Teague 6'3 G - Goodbye Mike Bibby? Hawks new PG/SG rotation - Teague/Crawford/Johnson/Murray. Hawks has this reputation as worst Franchise in terms of drafting PG since 2005.
20. Utah Jazz - Eric Maynor 6'3 G - Solid pick. Maynors the guy who will fit that 6th man role.
21. NO Hornets - Darren Collison 6'0 PG - Solid pick as CP3s back up.
22. Portland - Victor Claver 6'9 F - He will play overseas. Future prospect
23. Sacramento Kings - Omri Casspi 6'8 F - Steal or bust. Only time will tell.
24. Dallas Mavs - BJ Mullens 7'1 C - Project.
25. OKC Thunder - Rodrigue Beaubois 6'3 PG. Project. Will most likely play overseas.
26. Chicago Bulls - Taj Gibson 6'9 F. I dont like the pick at all.
27. Memphis - Demar Caroll 6'8. Non impact player. I prefer they pick a player for upside.
28. Minny Timberwolves - Wayne Ellington 6'5. Whew. At least hindi PG.
29. LA Lakers - Tony Douglas 6'3 SG - Heading to the Knicks for cash
30. Cleveland Cavaliers -

Toto Battung
06-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Can't believe Sacramento bypassed Ricky Rubio of Spain. Golden State taking Stephen Curry of Davidson is intriguing. What now for Monta Ellis, penciled to be the point guard of the future. Rubio reminds me of Pete Maravich, he should be a star of the NBA in the future.

Mateen Cleaves
06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
It's the draft of Blake Griffin and the point guards! Don't know what to think of Austin Daye to my Pistons. Physique reminds me of Tayshaun Prince, which wouldn't be so bad, actually.

Toto Battung
06-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Michael Jordan got a Duke player Gerald Henderson ahead of Tyler Hansbrough of North Carolina who went to Indiana. Who's smarter Jordan or Larry Bird?
Can't concentrate much on the NBA draft, because of the news filtering about the death of Michael Jackson, music industry's icon (together with Elvis Presley and the Beatles) and poster girl of the 70's Farrah Fawcett.
It is really a draft of point guards:
Right now:
Ricky Rubio # 5
John Flynn # 6
Stephen Curry # 7
Brandon Jennings # 10
Jrue Holliday # 17
Ty Lawson # 18
Jeff Teague # 10
I wonder where UCLA Darren Collison will end up?

mighty_lion
06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Minny drafted 6'0 PG Ty Lawson with 18th pick. ??? Please dont tell me they just hired Frankie Lim as their new head coach.

arjay_g
06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I wonder where UCLA Darren Collison will end up?

he's now CP3's backup in New Orleans. or will be fighting for it.

Minny drafted 6'0 PG Ty Lawson with 18th pick. ??? Please dont tell me they just hired Frankie Lim as their new head coach.

he's gonna be shipped to Denver, probably to battle Anthony Carter for backup minutes to Billups

arjay_g
06-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Former UNC teammates Lawson and Wayne Ellington almost became teammates again as both were drafted by the Wolves (#18 and # 28, respectively)

however, as was mentioned, Lawson was picked by the Wolves for Denver (for a future pick)

mighty_lion
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Blair is sliding down crazy.

Mateen Cleaves
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Too bad for Blair. I really liked his attitude and game. But there were serious questions about his knees. Not only has he had ACL surgery on both knees, but one report had it that there doesn't appear to be much ligament left there.

coreytaylor
06-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Minnesota drafting 3 PGs? Lawson was supposedly the 4th one but got traded to Denver. But I read that Nick Calathes is going to play first in Europe, and I read an article that Ricky Ribio may remain in Spain for a few years before he plays in the NBA.

Here's the link of the article about Ricky staying in Spain: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Report-Ricky-Rubio-s-father-says-son-may-remain;_ylt=Ar2ZAGy00y4diQ5EplJZLAy8vLYF?urn=nba,1 72985

coreytaylor
06-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Who the hell did Cleveland draft??? Who's Christian Eyenga??? Are they just drafting him and won't sign him in order to save money because of Shaq's entry in Cleveland?

Napaka-swerte naman niya being picked ahead (29th, 1st Rnd.) over Nick Calathes of Florida, Dajuan Blair & Sam Young of Pittsburgh, Derrick Brown of Xavier, and Chase Budinger of Arizona, who are all picked in the 2nd Rnd. ;D

Outlander
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
-- I was a little bit surprised that Tyler Hansbrough was selected in the lottery by Indiana, as I thought he would go to Utah at #20. Still, he should do okay with the Pacers.

-- Ricky Rubio fell to #5, and might spend more time in Spain (due to his buyout issues), as Minnesota also picked another PG, Jonny Flynn, who will compete for minutes on their young team.

-- Brandon Jennings arrived on the scene a few minutes after he was already drafted, and posed on the stage with David Stern after the #14 pick was declared (Earl Clark, who was not present in the draft).

-- DeMar DeRozan was selected by Toronto, and the high school dunk champ looks to bring back some excitement and athleticism to Canada's team, after their former all-star Vince Carter left a few years ago.