PDA

View Full Version : San Sebastian Staglets : San Beda Red Cubs in the making?

redlampard
04-12-2009, 07:39 AM
During quite some time, it was the San Beda Red Cubs being courted or taken by UAAP schools to join their Senior's program. Like Magsanoc, Paras, Altamirano, Bravo, Jomalesa, Toti Almeda etc. to UP; The Pumarens, Tyrone Bautista, Ritualo, Casio to Taft (DLSU) and numerous SBC HS grads going to Ateneo. However, this trend had stopped (a bit and for a while). But a new trend had started. Now, its the San Sebastian Staglets who are being pursued and on the wishlist of some UAAP Teams. Eric Salamat and Ryan Buenafe are the first specimen of this said trend. Bringas and co. are next on the list. What can you say about that? Any reactions?

jpmalpas
04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Sana nga magawan ng paraan yan. Pero as of now, walang magagawa ang mga NCAA Schools. Tsaka madami talagang gustong maglaro sa UAAP, kasi mas maganda daw ang exposure. Syempre, ang mga players naman, hindi lang nila gusto mag champion ang school nila, looking forward din sila sa career nila. So I think kaya karamihan ng mga NCAA Juniors eh nangangarap maglaro sa UAAP dahil dun. Imagine, sabihin may offer yung school sayo na 1 million Pesos. Eh d parang may offer kana nga, maganda pa exposure mo dahil sa liga. Tiba tiba kana. :D

- About Arvie Bringas naman, DLSU na ata sya. Maglalaro na sa Filoil. Here's the link. :)

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=456867&publicationSubCategoryId=69

BRAVO BASTE! 8)

redlampard
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh. :( I hope that would turn out to be a good decison for Bringas. I was always hoping na he would stay with SSC-R and put an emphasis or be a good model sa younger aspirants magstay at maging committed for their respective school. But he made up his mind and will don the green and white. Sana lng eh magstop na din tong trend na to, not only for SSC-R and SBC but to all NCAA Teams.

Good thing for SBC, medjo nabawasan ung pagpunta ng mga cubs to UAAP schools. It all started when Menor chooses SBC, instead of going to Taft. Pero may mga pasaway pa din. (e.g. Martinez - UE, Salva - ADMU, Revilla - DLSU). Wag nilang sabihin na mas maganda exposure sa UAAP at wala na kayo spot sa SBC, I believe na 1st priority nila kayo. Pero its your decison and your call. As of now, Si James Martinez pa lng ang nagprove na going to UE is a good move (nga ba?). ;D

coreytaylor
04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh. :( I hope that would turn out to be a good decison for Bringas. I was always hoping na he would stay with SSC-R and put an emphasis or be a good model sa younger aspirants magstay at maging committed for their respective school. But he made up his mind and will don the green and white. Sana lng eh magstop na din tong trend na to, not only for SSC-R and SBC but to all NCAA Teams.

Good thing for SBC, medjo nabawasan ung pagpunta ng mga cubs to UAAP schools. It all started when Menor chooses SBC, instead of going to Taft. Pero may mga pasaway pa din. (e.g. Martinez - UE, Salva - ADMU, Revilla - DLSU). Wag nilang sabihin na mas maganda exposure sa UAAP at wala na kayo spot sa SBC, I believe na 1st priority nila kayo. Pero its your decison and your call. As of now, Si James Martinez pa lng ang nagprove na going to UE is a good move (nga ba?). ;D

Give Nico a year or 2, baka magugulat ka na lang. Pati na rin si LA. ;)

paolo
04-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh.* :(* I hope that would turn out to be a good decison for Bringas. I was always hoping na he would stay with SSC-R and put an emphasis or be a good model sa younger aspirants magstay at maging committed for their respective school. But he made up his mind and will don the green and white. Sana lng eh magstop na din tong trend na to, not only for SSC-R and SBC but to all NCAA Teams.

Good thing for SBC, medjo nabawasan ung pagpunta ng mga cubs to UAAP schools. It all started when Menor chooses SBC, instead of going to Taft. Pero may mga pasaway pa din. (e.g. Martinez - UE, Salva - ADMU, Revilla - DLSU). Wag nilang sabihin na mas maganda exposure sa UAAP at wala na kayo spot sa SBC, I believe na 1st priority nila kayo. Pero its your decison and your call. As of now, Si James Martinez pa lng ang nagprove na going to UE is a good move (nga ba?).* ;D

Give Nico a year or 2, baka magugulat ka na lang. Pati na rin si LA.* ;)
:o* Since this is about the staglets, you might have forgotten how good Paul Lee had developed since going to UE.* Menor? It was never in his mind to leave SBC!* Nagpataas presyo lang iyong bata.* How could he leave SBC when he put a "lion" tatoo in his left chest!* Look at him now, He forego his last year to play for SBC because of what else? What do you think? Hahahaha

toti_mendiola
04-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Give Nico a year or 2, baka magugulat ka na lang. Pati na rin si LA. ;)
:o Look at him now, He forego his last year to play for SBC because of what else? What do you think? Hahahaha

Had he actually forego his last year?

redlampard
04-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Oh.* :(* I hope that would turn out to be a good decison for Bringas. I was always hoping na he would stay with SSC-R and put an emphasis or be a good model sa younger aspirants magstay at maging committed for their respective school. But he made up his mind and will don the green and white. Sana lng eh magstop na din tong trend na to, not only for SSC-R and SBC but to all NCAA Teams.

Good thing for SBC, medjo nabawasan ung pagpunta ng mga cubs to UAAP schools. It all started when Menor chooses SBC, instead of going to Taft. Pero may mga pasaway pa din. (e.g. Martinez - UE, Salva - ADMU, Revilla - DLSU). Wag nilang sabihin na mas maganda exposure sa UAAP at wala na kayo spot sa SBC, I believe na 1st priority nila kayo. Pero its your decison and your call. As of now, Si James Martinez pa lng ang nagprove na going to UE is a good move (nga ba?).* ;D

Since Ateneo have an intact lineup (til 2-4 years), pretty doubtful ako sa mgiging improvement ni Nico. Hindi naman ako Anti-Nico or something, pero with the lineup that Ateneo have right now and will have in the future - meaning lahat ng nsa roster nila ngayon eh pwede pa maglaro 2-4 yrs from now (assuming no injuries), mdjo mahihirapan c Nico. Si LA pwede pa since hndi na ata maglalaro c Simon Atkins if that is true. He can be the instant starting PG of the archers.

redlampard
04-13-2009, 03:31 AM

:o* Since this is about the staglets, you might have forgotten how good Paul Lee had developed since going to UE.* Menor? It was never in his mind to leave SBC!* Nagpataas presyo lang iyong bata.* How could he leave SBC when he put a "lion" tatoo in his left chest!* Look at him now, He forego his last year to play for SBC because of what else? What do you think? Hahahaha

yah. forgot about Paul Lee. About Menor, (before cya mgcollege at kakagrad lang ng HS) you must have not heard that he packed his bags one morning for La Salle. La Salle also had a press release that morning saying "Menor joins Archers". Menor even quoted saying " I always want to study at La Salle".* Buti na lng at may responsible SBC alumni to take actions about that situation. They went to Taft and convince Ogie to come back at the Den. Take note: may tattoo na cya nun. Kung sa tattoo lang ung basis mo eh medjo malayo.* I am pretty much sure na hindi mo nabasa ung book na " A time to Roar" by Coach Jude Roque and the Boosters. Lahat ng stories ng mga players ng SBC, from recruitment and everything, nandun.*And about Menor skipping his last year as a Red Lion, maybe you can check ung forums sa Den. ngayon ko lng din nabasa. Menor says okay for one last hoora for season 85. ;D

Okay now. Back to our topic.* :)

coreytaylor
04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Since Ateneo have an intact lineup (til 2-4 years), pretty doubtful ako sa mgiging improvement ni Nico. Hindi naman ako Anti-Nico or something, pero with the lineup that Ateneo have right now and will have in the future - meaning lahat ng nsa roster nila ngayon eh pwede pa maglaro 2-4 yrs from now (assuming no injuries), mdjo mahihirapan c Nico. Si LA pwede pa since hndi na ata maglalaro c Simon Atkins if that is true. He can be the instant starting PG of the archers.

Wrong. Al-Hussaini, Baldos, & Baclao will graduate after Season72. Nico might be the starting PF in S73 or he will be Ateneo's 6th man by then.

redlampard
04-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Wrong. Al-Hussaini, Baldos, & Baclao will graduate after Season72. Nico might be the starting PF in S73 or he will be Ateneo's 6th man by then.

Baclao is still eligible until season 73. Yes, Al-Hussaini and Baldos will be playing their last year, but Ateneo have recruits to fill the holes when they are gone. Al-hussaini's heir to the throne might be Jason "jumbo" escueta. (see the forums at the nest). Baldos to me, does not contribute that much and a non factor. Yes, he can contibute but not that significant. But if you want to replace him, there is Vincent Fran and Golla (forgot his first name). it think they play good (according to some ADMU alumni)and both play 3 or 4. There is also Keith Agovida, the JRU standout. (not sure tough since it a tug of war bet. DLSU and ADMU for this kid). I think he is much more a prolific scorer than Nico. If you can see and assess the recruits of Ateneo, Nico will find a hard time cracking a starter spot for ADMU.

If he, before, decided to go to SBC,then he might be a good replacement for Ogie Menor. I always believe that he is a good 3 and not 4. (he plays 4 in hs but will find a hard time playing 4 in college). He cant play 3 for Ateneo since there is Ryan Buenafe and Keith Agovida waiting in the wings (if ADMU can get him). If he did decided to go to SBC then, after this season, he can be a starter for the RedLions with Hermida -PG, Lanete - SG, Pascual - PF and Sudan - C, he will be playing the 3 since Bam G, Menor, J-Tec (all of them play 3 spot) will be garduating after NCAA season 85.

coreytaylor
04-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Baclao is still eligible until season 73. Yes, Al-Hussaini and Baldos will be playing their last year, but Ateneo have recruits to fill the holes when they are gone. Al-hussaini's heir to the throne might be Jason "jumbo" escueta. (see the forums at the nest). Baldos to me, does not contribute that much and a non factor. Yes, he can contibute but not that significant. But if you want to replace him, there is Vincent Fran and Golla (forgot his first name).* it think they play good (according to some ADMU alumni)and both play 3 or 4. There is also Keith Agovida, the JRU standout. (not sure tough since it a tug of war bet. DLSU and ADMU for this kid).* I think he is much more a prolific scorer than Nico. If you can see and assess the recruits of Ateneo, Nico will find a hard time cracking a starter spot for ADMU.

Wrong again. Baclao is graduating after S72. He is in his final year of eligibility this year.

Fran & Golla can't play 3 but can play 4 & 5.

I don't think ADMU is interested on Agovida.

redlampard
04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Baclao is still eligible until season 73. Yes, Al-Hussaini and Baldos will be playing their last year, but Ateneo have recruits to fill the holes when they are gone. Al-hussaini's heir to the throne might be Jason "jumbo" escueta. (see the forums at the nest). Baldos to me, does not contribute that much and a non factor. Yes, he can contibute but not that significant. But if you want to replace him, there is Vincent Fran and Golla (forgot his first name).* it think they play good (according to some ADMU alumni)and both play 3 or 4. There is also Keith Agovida, the JRU standout. (not sure tough since it a tug of war bet. DLSU and ADMU for this kid).* I think he is much more a prolific scorer than Nico. If you can see and assess the recruits of Ateneo, Nico will find a hard time cracking a starter spot for ADMU.

Wrong again. Baclao is graduating after S72 and is in his final year of eligibility.

Fran & Golla can't play 3 but can play 4 & 5.

I don't think ADMU is interested on Agovida.

I think you should read the forums at the nest. it says baclao can still play until season 73. Since Bringas will go to DLSU and Kevin Alas rumored to follow Bringas, with this, the next hot prospect will be agovida and for sure, they will be interested witth him. Given that you are right about Fran and Golla (and the forums at the nest are inaccurate), Nico can have a crack at the starting PF spot but cannot be significant contributor.

oca
04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Balik tayo sa topic.

No. Staglets basketball is not a Red Cubs basketball in the making. Until they make their players become decent student-athletes.

Hindi naman kailangan mapabilang sa top 10pct ng class nila, pero huwag naman yung binibigyan ng passing grade kahit halos hindi pumapasok. Or, pinaglalaro kahit marami nang absences.

Haka-haka?

Got this info from an alumnus of SSC-R mismo who played Jrs and Srs basketball for Baste. Nang dumating sa tamang gulang ang bata at gustong maglaro ng basketball, una niyang pinuntahan ang Alma Mater niya. Siempre, nandun na rin naman siya, binisita nya ang ilan sa mga dati nyang guro na naroon pa rin. He heard how much accommodation and leeway these current players are getting in terms of academics.

To a former PBA player like himself who didn't have a remarkable PBA career, he knows how important education is. Ayun, dinala sa ibang paaralan ang anak niya.

At sa ilang dosenang Red Cubs na naglaro sai bang paaralan pagdating ng kolehiyo, wala tayong narinig na masagwang kwento tulad ng kina Buenafe at Bringas. Ipitin ang bata nang magpasyang maglaro ng Srs sa iba.

Kamakailan lang umangat ang Staglets, four years ago lang. Malayo pa yan sa 15 NCAA at 12 National titles na nakopo ng Red Cubs sa pamamalakad ni Ato.

redlampard
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Balik tayo sa topic.

No. Staglets basketball is not a Red Cubs basketball in the making. Until they make their players become decent student-athletes.

Hindi naman kailangan mapabilang sa top 10pct ng class nila, pero huwag naman yung binibigyan ng passing grade kahit halos hindi pumapasok. Or, pinaglalaro kahit marami nang absences.

Haka-haka?

Got this info from an alumnus of SSC-R mismo who played Jrs and Srs basketball for Baste. Nang dumating sa tamang gulang ang bata at gustong maglaro ng basketball, una niyang pinuntahan ang Alma Mater niya. Siempre, nandun na rin naman siya, binisita nya ang ilan sa mga dati nyang guro na naroon pa rin. He heard how much accommodation and leeway these current players are getting in terms of academics.

To a former PBA player like himself who didn't have a remarkable PBA career, he knows how important education is. Ayun, dinala sa ibang paaralan ang anak niya.
At sa ilang dosenang Red Cubs na naglaro sai bang paaralan pagdating ng kolehiyo, wala tayong narinig na masagwang kwento tulad ng kina Buenafe at Bringas. Ipitin ang bata nang magpasyang maglaro ng Srs sa iba.

Kamakailan lang umangat ang Staglets, four years ago lang. Malayo pa yan sa 15 NCAA at 12 National titles na nakopo ng Red Cubs sa pamamalakad ni Ato.

Un nga dapat ung sasabihin ko eh. Thanks oca for redirecting this topic.

Kilala ko ata ung alumnus na to. ;D

LION
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Art dela Cruz?

redlampard
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Art dela Cruz?

un ang tumakbo sa isip ko. not sure kung cya nga yun. d ko din sure kung ngjuniors cya sa baste. tanong natin kay sir oca? ;D

oca
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Art dela Cruz?

un ang tumakbo sa isip ko. not sure kung cya nga yun. d ko din sure kung ngjuniors cya sa baste. tanong natin kay sir oca? ;D

Sa totoo lang, hindi alam saan nag highschool si Art Sr. ;)

coreytaylor
04-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I think you should read the forums at the nest. it says baclao can still play until season 73. Since Bringas will go to DLSU and Kevin Alas rumored to follow Bringas, with this, the next hot prospect will be agovida and for sure, they will be interested witth him. Given that you are right about Fran and Golla (and the forums at the nest are inaccurate), Nico can have a crack at the starting PF spot but cannot be significant contributor.

Okay if you say so. I don't need to argue. Let's just wait and see come S73 & S74. ;)

Guardian Angel
04-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Okay if you say so. I don't need to argue. Let's just wait and see come S73 & S74.* ;)

redlampard:

Baclao is playing his last year of eligibility this season (72). Baclao himself said so. And I haven't seen anyone in the BEN saying otherwise.

Semenelin
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
going back to topic, it's too early to tell. so technically, hindi pa. pwede ba maging malaSBC Red Cubs? aba'y pwede pero hindi ito makukuha sa loob ng konting taon. marami raming taon ang gugugulin at mararaming players ang hahasain. good start pero consistency is the key.

Joescoundrel
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
One thing that San Sebastian might want to look at is whether or not the Staglets are actually attending class. For all of their talent there is always this lingering question whether or not these Staglets take the student part of being a student-athlete seriously, or are they simply basketball mercenaries-in-training, waiting for whichever college program will offer them the best package and have the least expectation of their having to actually attend class.

I've said it often enough in other Forums herein: if it were just up to me I would not cut any academic slack for guys just because they can ball. It is unfair to others who might be better suited or better qualified to go to college and complete their degrees having those slots taken away from them just to let in a varsity guy who may or may not last beyond his first varsity season in a school that takes the academic side seriously.

Enough has been said about the adventures of one Arvie Bringas of late, and no one is even sure whether or not he did indeed graduate from high school, or he is taking an accelerated summer completion course just to make enrollment for the next regular college term. Bringas is now the latest poster boy of the star jock who might not even know how to answer a multiple choice exam.

Almond Vosotros, the hotshot guard, is apparently only in his third curriculum year in high school but will not be playing in his fourth year because he is overaged for the NCAA junior division. And of course there is the lingering question as to whether or not Vosotros submitted legit and complete transfer credentials to San Sebastian when he came over from Philippine College of Criminology high school.

If I were San Sebastian I would do my best to first make certain that all the Staglets are indeed attending class and getting a high school education - that would be my top priority. People already know they are great basketball players. The least the school could do is make sure they at least get that all important secondary education. Teaching them to cut corners and have a sense of entitlement as early as high school isn't a good education.

Semenelin
04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
wrong post

danny
04-15-2009, 02:08 AM
One thing that San Sebastian might want to look at is whether or not the Staglets are actually attending class.

When my small group of "brilliant"* HS Sebastinians controlled the Student Council and the HS paper, this was one of our agenda.* Force these "showbiz" Staglets to attend classes just like us.*

Mrs. Aliwalas, the current principal, never liked me and our renegade group because of our stand on several key issues.* They wanted to have a program just like the San Beda Red Cubs but were content in cutting corners. Limelight without the sacrifice.

Last time I checked, the faculty members allied with our cause were no more.* ;)

Well, there is only one San Beda Red Cubs in the country.