PDA

View Full Version : Qatar still wants a Philippine team to play in their July tournament!!!

pachador
04-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Qatar still wants a Philippine team to play in their tournament in July !!!

Qatar wanted RP five to play in its series

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
04/08/2009

Regularly updated on the local sporting scene through the Internet, Rhea Navarro of the Qatar Basketball Federation continues to keep her fingers crossed that the PBA will change its mind and play in the Qatar tune-up series, instead of the Seaba tournament in June or the William Jones Cup in July.

“Qatar really wanted the Philippines to be in the series,” Rhea said. “They were willing to adjust their schedule to fit into the Philippine schedule.

“Initially, we scheduled the Qatar series for June. But when we were advised that the Seaba (Southeast Asian Basketball Association) was going to be moved to that month, we moved the series to July.

“Unfortunately, the PBA felt that the Jones Cup in Taipei would provide a better tune-up for the RP team.”

Qatar has been scrapped from the RP team calendar.

“Nanghihinayang lang ako (I feel sorry) for the RP team because Iran has just confirmed its participation in the Qatar series. As you know, Iran is the defending champion in the FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship. This is the same team that Rajko Toroman coached last year.”

The other teams invited to the series are Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Tunisia.

“Maybe the series can still be scheduled in June,” added Rhea. “Perhaps the Philippines can send coach Toroman’s team, reinforced by PBA players who are not in Yeng’s team to the Seaba, instead. Since this is the qualifying tournament for the FIBA-Asia championship, I know that nobody wants to leave anything to chance. Pero kayang-kaya na ng team ni Toroman ‘yan.”

Rhea said the Qatar national team has decided to forego the Jones Cup because the competition there has slackened and will instead hold a three-week camp in Slovenia.

D_I_A
04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
“Maybe the series can still be scheduled in June,” added Rhea. “Perhaps the Philippines can send coach Toroman’s team, reinforced by PBA players who are not in Yeng’s team to the Seaba, instead. Since this is the qualifying tournament for the FIBA-Asia championship, I know that nobody wants to leave anything to chance. Pero kayang-kaya na ng team ni Toroman ‘yan.”

ayaw ng PBA na ibigay sa SBP-Smart Gilas Team kasi mawawalan sila ng papel at kredibilidad sa basketball pag nananlo ang Smart-Gilas Developmental team.

para ano pa at binuo ang PBA-RP team kung SBP Developmental team rin lang naman ang ilalaban di ba?

PilipinasFan
05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
i thnk the qatar series provides a better tune up for the pba backed rp team., it would be meaningless for them to play in the seaba tournament even if it is considered as the qualifying tournament for the fiba asia championships., all people know that rp would definitely win that tournament even with high school players so why not let smart gilas pilipinas team have that competition and then, have the qatar offer be accepted., that would be a better deicision for the pba backed rp team.,

D_I_A
05-02-2009, 03:51 AM
i thnk the qatar series provides a better tune up for the pba backed rp team., it would be meaningless for them to play in the seaba tournament even if it is considered as the qualifying tournament for the fiba asia championships., all people know that rp would definitely win that tournament even with high school players so why not let smart gilas pilipinas team have that competition and then, have the qatar offer be accepted., that would be a better deicision for the pba backed rp team.,

may agreement na po sir PilipinasFan ang SBP and PBA kung anong tournaments ang sasalihan ng RP-PBA Powerade Team