PDA

View Full Version : Fil or Full Foreigners in the local College Basketball Leagues

Schortsanitis
10-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's an interesting post taken from the Interbasket forums from a person with the nick, "OutofAfrica":

"Hi, im a newcomer and i have interesting news for you. Three weeks from now, a player from kenya named Peter Omondi will be arriving in manila to look for prospective colleges or universities for his studies and basketball career. Omondi is 20 years of age, standing 2.13 meters (7 ft tall) and weighing 240 lbs. This Kenyan is currently playing for University of Agriculture and Technology as center. Here's the link http://www.africabasket.com/ken/ken.asp., take a look at Blazers are back in charge. Regarding details about his incoming visit, i will provide you info as possible.

alex15
10-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi! I have a friend looking to play sa UAAP teams.....He's 6'1" he can play pg to sg....I told him na gumawa ng highlight video, I hope that I can post it soon...He's a friend of RP youth player Nerbert Torres....MVP of an all star game in Canada.....I don't have any contact sa mga teams and I hope I can talk with the coaches....

alex15
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi! I have a friend looking to play sa UAAP teams.....He's 6'1" he can play pg to sg....I told him na gumawa ng highlight video, I hope that I can post it soon...He's a friend of RP youth player Nerbert Torres....MVP of an all star game in Canada.....I don't have any contact sa mga teams and I hope I can talk with the coaches....

GHRanger
10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
If he's considering DLSU, you guys can contact the Office of Sports Development (OSD) under Athletics in the DLSU website. Or you can ask Norbert to give your friend an intro to the coaching staff. Take note though that he will most probably undergo a 2 year residency.

franz_inwurdz
10-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi! I have a friend looking to play sa UAAP teams
at present our Red Lions play in the NCAA ;D

BedanRoar
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Advertisement ba ito? I saw this thread all over this site.

alex15
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Lion! check your inbox I have a few questions...

thadzonline
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
alex15, whats the name of your friend? I hope you dont just flood the forums with very raw info. It's better if you PM specific guys with connects to teams

alex15
10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
alex15, whats the name of your friend? I hope you dont just flood the forums with very raw info. It's better if you PM specific guys with connects to teams

Ok, thanks....Maybe a gametape will posted soon.....

capecoasthoops
11-01-2008, 05:53 AM
The information below was previously posted on this link (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=8436) and I was adviced to also post in this subforum:

Hello to all. I am the CEO of a basketball team here in Ghana. We have young and talented basketballers here in Ghana and nearby countries who are interested in playing in your country. We need the right contacts and links to have these players placed in teams or perhaps schools and colleges. You can know about us from our website (http://www.capecoasthoops.net).

I hope to hear from you soon. You can also email (contact@capecoasthoops.net) us.

Schortsanitis
11-17-2008, 12:27 AM
A guy named "John Burtonwood" has surfaced at the Interbasket forums.* Confirmed by thadz, the guy is the "Project Bravo" they were talking about in the Cebu forums.* Here are links containing more information about him:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ5vk...eature=related
- http://www.facebook.com/people/John_Macul_Burtonwood/600571829
- http://en.netlog.com/m/profile/nickname=BiG_BOi_JoHn

He's allegedly 6'8", and here is a quote from him also in the same forum:

"Sure .. Been playin Basketball For 8 years .. but only started properly getting into it in the past 2 years (Because of studies)... Now now i play basketball 5 days of the week for 3 - 4 hours per day.

Yes i am half filipino ... im a Fil-Brit(England).. i dunno if im still 6ft8 i feel like ive shrunk i dunno ... But i can dunk 10 times better then i could in tht Vid .. tht video is soo old.. hahaha

ive played for 6 non pro basketball teams:

Hardcourt Slashers - Avg 8 PPG
UK allstars - Avg 12 PPG
Hardcourt Juniors - Avg 6 PPG
Bolton Jets - Avg 14 PPG
Northwest Knights - Avg 7 PPG
New Era Warriors - Avg 17 PPG

Dont Expect a lot from me in the first Season because ill need to adjust my gameplay from Euro Style to Philippines Style and ill need to get to knw the other team players style of play soo i can get baskets like i do over in the UK"

thadzonline
11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
John Macul Burtonwood traces his Filipino roots to Tampakan, North Cotabato, the hometown of his mom. His dad is British with German ancestry. He has booked a ticket to Cebu January 15 and will be at USC and is 1 of 2 Fil-Briton bigs being eyed by USC. The other Fil-brit big man is 6'5 and is already in the Philippines

alex15
01-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi guys, I have 6'5 to 6'9 foreign player...Very interested to pay College ball here.....If you're interested pm me...

razor
01-24-2009, 07:47 AM
^ Africans? ;)

alex15
01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
^ Africans?* ;)

Yeah...

gfy
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
^ Africans?* ;)

Yeah...
pls txt me at 09175335701 regarding ur african players

LION
01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
gfy,

Sobra sobra na ang africans ng FEU ah. ;D

capecoasthoops
03-25-2009, 05:26 AM
http://www.capecoasthoops.net/images/IMG_0362.jpg
John and Christopher, seen after practice with their coach, were successful in making the the Team A of AU after justification. There are more from where these two came from and it shows that Hoops is on Fire, even in the Philippines.

joelex
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Sam Ekwe pioneered the influx of foreign recruits here, and with the continued entry of these Cameroonians, Nigerians, and Americans, the trend is likely to hold true for the near future.

Soon we will see every college team parading a couple of imports. With all of these UAAP / NCAA schools battling neck and neck not to be outdone, it will merely be imitating what caused the PBA's downfall in the late 90's, which was of course the entry of fil-ams (shams) which the casual fan would have no following to speak of.

Seems like this is the signal that the college basketball bubble will soon reach a maximum and inevitably burst...

BedanRoar
08-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Ganun? ???

admiral thrawn
08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Sam Ekwe pioneered the influx of foreign recruits here, and with the continued entry of these Cameroonians, Nigerians, and Americans, the trend is likely to hold true for the near future.

Soon we will see every college team parading a couple of imports. With all of these UAAP / NCAA schools battling neck and neck not to be outdone, it will merely be imitating what caused the PBA's downfall in the late 90's, which was of course the entry of fil-ams (shams) which the casual fan would have no following to speak of.

Seems like this is the signal that the college basketball bubble will soon reach a maximum and inevitably burst...

Sir I think Sam Ekwe was not the first foreigner to play in college basketball herein the Philippines.

danny
09-03-2009, 01:58 AM
We have a thread in the NCAA section regarding foreigners who played for college ball.

Sam is not the first. :)

danny
09-03-2009, 02:21 AM
^DON Johnson played only for 1 season in 1986. Did not make an impact except for his fairly good looks and a nice pair of NIKE shoes. ;D

Detouring a bit to answer the question, the foreign player who played for FEU was 6'5"Anthony Williams, an ex-US Marine who went to Med School at FEU.

As to pre-war players, si Charlie Borck siyempre ang unang mababanggit, but I really do not have that much info on the "Blonde Bombshell" except what we generally know, i.e. 6'1" center who played on the Philippine Olympic Team that placed 5th in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, and not much else. But that is a puzzlement to me, given that Alex Compton was born here and is still an American citizen. I wonder how was citizenship determined then during the Commonwealth Period (tamad lang akong mag-research sa jus soli at jus sanguinis ;D)?

That Johnson guy of the '87 Letran championship team is pure American, right? Not much of an offensive threat but I could remember him getting a lot of rebs.

I only remember these two:

Amat Atun - Indonesian - played for Mapua during the mid 80s
William Johnson - American - played for Letran in 1987

Im not sure, but didn't Letran have a player (90s era) named "Edwards"? Kasabayan ni Ismael Junio.

Steve "Tibo" Watson is pure Australian, or at least has maintained so all these decades. ;)

Sam is not the first.

As to the downfall, college ball like the NCAA and especially the UAAP will also burst. That's normal. Ebb and Flow. Nature. If these leagues have reached the peak, then expect a correction.

Nothing to worry. It's but natural. Excesses of the past will cause the bubble to burst only to give way to something new. Excessive commercialization may have already killed college basketball. It's value is now all about advertisement and market share. Success in now based on Pesos and centavos. Ka-ching. "Glamour" than sports. :D

cliffordd_chung
07-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Dear readers,

I am writing this email since I dont know whom I should ask help. My nephew is used to be Division 1 player in American Collgege Basket Ball. Division 1 is top league in usa.

I guide him to explore new way of life in PH by enrolling school here and play. He is very much interested, and willing.

Highly appreciate it if you can help to guide or introduce any good Cagayan School which can fit to him. I do business near CDO, so, i feel comfortable my nephew stays around CDO or Illigan.

Best, clifford 0908 762 8246, ph smart number

izon
07-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Dear readers,

I am writing this email since I dont know whom I should ask help. My nephew is used to be Division 1 player in American Collgege Basket Ball. Division 1 is top league in usa.

I guide him to explore new way of life in PH by enrolling school here and play. He is very much interested, and willing.

Highly appreciate it if you can help to guide or introduce any good Cagayan School which can fit to him. I do business near CDO, so, i feel comfortable my nephew stays around CDO or Illigan.

Best, clifford 0908 762 8246, ph smart number

What is the height of your nephew ?

gemi64
08-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Just thought i would post this.
I think he is a good player, but i am biased.. ;D

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DW-G3T2t3x58&h=a8e1b

Jim

bchoter
08-03-2010, 01:01 AM
the real deal! he'll look good in black-gold-and-white! but then again... only in my dreams :(

Ghostrider
08-03-2010, 02:29 AM
He'd look good in a Philippine team jersey. ;D

gemi64
08-03-2010, 03:08 AM
the real deal! he'll look good in black-gold-and-white! but then again... only in my dreams :(

Please forgive my ignorance..
What team or school is Black-gold-and -white ??

Jim

gemi64
08-03-2010, 03:10 AM
He'd look good in a Philippine team jersey. ;D

YES HE WILL !!!

Now if i could only get a job there, so i could be at all his games..
In my dreams.. :'(

Jim

bchoter
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Please forgive my ignorance..
What team or school is Black-gold-and -white ??

Jim
That's the tri-colors of the Univesrity of Sto. Tomas sir ;). With little or no natural Center or PF or even tall shooting forward, Brian will get all the playing time he needs to develop his game, his follwing and his path towards the pro league! :D

The_Big_Cat
08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
^grabe sales pitch mo manong. ;D ;D

He has to sit-out/red-shirt for two years though if he enrolls to a UAAP school.

gider
08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
but if he plays for a NCAA team he can play immediately, I hope SBC gets to recruit him.

bchoter
08-04-2010, 12:25 AM
^grabe sales pitch mo manong. ;D ;D

He has to sit-out/red-shirt for two years though if he enrolls to a UAAP school.
just enough time for him to adjust to 1.) life in a different country, 2) get his academics straight, 3) get the feel of local hoops), 4) get him to know the fine thomasian beauties ;)

mikemana26
08-04-2010, 05:17 AM
It's a fact that Sam Ekwe was not the first foreign student to play in college ball, but he could be the most notable in recent years. A lot of schools followed because Ekwe showed the potential to win championships.

Fil or Full-Foreigners should be viewed as challenges to Filipino cagers. Filipinos don't need to go to foreign land to experience foreign brand of basketball, esp. if the school can't afford it. On a positive aspect, it's in a way making college brand of basketball a level or two up.

Just be aware of foreigners (and agents?) who demand extra perks and privileges. That's commercialization!

Joescoundrel
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
^ If these guys want to come here just to play ball and not study one wit then they're better off going to the smaller / less popular schools in the lesser known tournaments. I think no one here is unaware that these smaller tournaments are not as strict with requirements for foreigners to play varsity ball. I've spoken to several owners, coaches and athletics directors from these smaller schols and they rather bluntly say "basta naka-enroll pwede na".

Personally though, UAAP rules to me are ridiculously strict especially with the two-year sit-out just for coming from overseas even if a player is a full-blooded Filipino. I rather like the more enlightened view of the NCAA that a player coming from overseas can play immediately if he comes straight out of high school and has never played college ball. That is a rule I hope the UAAP adopts.

oca
09-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Wala namang bago sa sinabi niya. Pero alam ko maraming galit sa may akda. Okay, sino gusto mauna.... ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=608309&publicationSubCategoryId=64

How the UAAP and NCAA cage wars reflect our hypocrisy
AS I WRECK THIS CHAIR By William M. Esposo (The Philippine Star) Updated September 02, 2010 12:00 AM

A culture of corruption is established when a society freely accepts, adopts and practices the mindset that IF WE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT, THEN DO IT. In our culture, we call this patinikan which promotes the WIN AT ALL COSTS mentality. Win at all costs is the modern day expression of the Nicolo Machiavelli mindset of “The ends justify the means.”

Don’t you find it hypocritical that many of our universities and colleges — the very ones whose basketball teams play in the UAAP and NCAA tournaments — are not practicing what they teach? No university or college will ever endorse the Machiavelli “The ends justify the means” mindset which is associated with the excesses and evils that mark the dark pages of world history. 

The Machiavelli “The ends justify the means” mindset manifested in the Marcos pursuit of a New Society which brought us to an all-time high in corruption and human rights violations. It also formed Adolf Hitler’s excuse for committing genocide while pursuing the evolution of a pure, superior Aryan race. It was also the philosophy of the US government for the genocide of the Native Americans so that they can remove them from their ancestral lands. 

If the universities and colleges will condemn the Machiavelli mindset, are they not subscribing to it when they recruit the taller and heftier foreign basketball players in order to win in the UAAP and NCAA cage wars? It is one thing if these foreigners freely opted to study in their schools and another if they were recruited and offered incentives to play for the school. Reliable sources confirm that these foreign players were recruited and offered substantial rewards for donning the school uniform.

This recruitment started with the Filipino-Americans from abroad. The excuse then was that they had Filipino ancestry. The spirit of competition among local born and home grown Filipinos was trashed for the sake of “bringing honor” to the alma mater. There being no honor in living by the Machiavelli mindset — what kind of an example then is the educational institution giving their students?

If the recruitment of Filipino-Americans is not bad enough, now we see the recruitment of foreign players who do not even have a drop of Filipino blood in them. Fifty years ago, no school would think of going this far. Fifty years ago, we were never this corrupt.

We do not want to single out a particular school in this issue but the case of the San Beda Red Lions of the NCAA sticks out like a sore thumb. San Beda won three consecutive NCAA championships with Sam Ekwe, a foreign recruit, playing a crucial role. Now, San Beda is poised to win another NCAA championship with Sudan Daniels, another foreign recruit, as a key player. Both Ekwe and Daniels excel in stifling the basket attempts of their opponents.

Without counterpart imports, it is like playing against a loaded deck of cards. A tall and imposing player like Ekwe and Daniels will force the smaller opponents to avoid lay ups and resort to the low percentage outside shots. On the offensive end, these tall foreign recruits provide offensive rebounds, thereby increasing their chances to score. For an all-Filipino team, it’s like playing against a team with a 10-point advantage in baskets and easily 8 more rebounds.

It is clearly unfair competition and the school officials cannot claim not to know that. Still, they allowed it. Just because other schools did it before and got away with it does not justify the adoption of what is inherently unfair. Just because the rules of the tournament did not have the foresight to anticipate this development and prohibit it — does not justify implementing what is clearly against the spirit of fair competition.

The schools that allow this practice of recruiting foreign players are setting a bad example of violating what they preach. They’re also losing sight of the aim of the sports competitions as promoters of the spirit as well as the concept of fair play and friendly contests.

Who can thus blame the disadvantaged teams for sometimes resorting to rough tactics as they desperately try to even the odds? While it cannot be condoned, we must nevertheless understand that this disadvantage provokes the tripping, elbowing and punching which mar the games. Have we not seen enough of that human tendency in the pages of history — when the cold and hungry resorted to bloody violent means in their desperate attempt to attain relief?

The collegiate Filipino center is usually 6 feet four inches in height. He is up against a foreign recruit who stands at least 6 feet 7 inches and is heavier. Unable to shoot baskets against the foreign recruit, unable to rebound — the poor Filipino center gets a mouthful from his coach. Sometimes, the poor Filipino center is even insulted by his coach just to prod him to contain the damage being wrought by the foreign recruit. Desperate, the poor Filipino center throws a punch, is thrown out of the game and is suspended from playing in the next game.

Why do we allow this to happen to our own kind? Whose side are we really on? Where is our Filipino heart? Where is our Filipino soul?

Chair Wrecker e-mail and website: macesposo@yahoo.com and www.chairwrecker.com

lekiboy
09-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Obviously, Mr. Esposo wanted to define hypocrisy by his own terms. Hypocrisy is always two-sided. It is in utilizing color and race in providing opportunities for people which makes us hypocrites. You can only imagine if Filipinos studying in the western nations will get different treatments on varsity entrance and quotas. We will then call them foul and discriminatory. It should still be based on skill and competence.

Mr. Esposo should do away with his old textbooks and interact more outside of his sphere of influence. He should try talking to Filipinos studying and working abroad or try to talk to Indians living in Malaysia. I classify anything Machiavellian in relation to sports as similar to CHEATING- by age, identity, etc.- that is Machiavellian. Hypocrisy is when you project that you are good at something but actually, you suck in the face of competition and cross-examination - that is Philippine basketball and Mr. Esposo's attempt to be philosophical.

Comparing corruption with recruiting foreign student athletes is ridiculously stupid. These foreign students have entered our foreign soil since the 70s or maybe even earlier. Masakit pero Pinoy ang mga corrupt. Worse, he is aware of the GREAT GENOCIDE and still, he wants to classify people based on color and race.

Having foreign student athletes in the Phils is actually positive. Universities and colleges practice what they preach that is why they do not discriminate.- they regulate.

Bano siguro mga players ni Esposo.

LION
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Esposo is an alumnus of baste, UST and Ateneo.

His maternal great grandfather was a foreigner from Scotland who, according to Esposo, was one of the pioneers of Del Monte.

This great grandfather was the Philippine Open Golf Champion in 1919 and 1920 and therefore, could have been the first import and/or foreigner to play golf in the country. Of course, foreigners were allowed that's why it's called the Philippine Open. ;D

Now, for him to single out San Beda shows his ignorance of the collegiate environment nowadays. Let's make a list of foreigners who have played / are playing in the UAAP and the NCAA.

For San Beda:

1. Sam Ekwe
2. Sudan Daniel

I don't know of any other foreigner representing or who have represented SBC in other NCAA events.

How about the other NCAA and UAAP schools?

mangtsito
09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
So he thinks it's all tea and bloody crumpets when pure Filipinos play against each other... and it's only the inclusion of a foreign player that suddenly makes a basketball game more violent. ;D

I think Esposo averages one $hitty opinion article per year during college basketball season, and this one's it for 2010.

mighty_lion
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
A culture of corruption is established when a society freely accepts, adopts and practices the mindset that IF WE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT, THEN DO IT. In our culture, we call this patinikan which promotes the WIN AT ALL COSTS mentality. Win at all costs is the modern day expression of the Nicolo Machiavelli mindset of “The ends justify the means.”

Culture of corruption? Based on what? Discrepancy in height and skin color? Mr. Esposo better do an undercover job of counting how many hours Daniel attends in classes in a week compared to his Filipino counterparts. I am sure he would know better what is the meaning of corruption.

Why do we allow this to happen to our own kind? Whose side are we really on? Where is our Filipino heart? Where is our Filipino soul?

Dapat sayo tumira sa bundok kasama ang mga katutubo. That will be a heroic act for Mr. Esposo.

If we implement this, I do believe other countries should kickout Filipino OFWs as well in their respective countries.

lekiboy
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
^ e kung sabihin kaya ng Phil Star na bawal ang mataba sa kumpanya nila? hahahah- e di nagwala to...tuluyan nang nasira ang upuan niya.

BedanRoar
09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Lossers would ALWAYS find an Excuse :P Kaya naman pala eh. Galing siya sa Branched Horns Colllege.

Move on William.....There are Bigger and More Important Issues to Write!

trencher_k
09-02-2010, 10:19 AM

^ Sir LION is correct, here is a brief background on Mr. William M. Esposo as found in the career brief & roots of his website:

http://www.chairwrecker.com/roots.php

Billy Esposo studied at the Ateneo de Manila, San Sebastian College and University of Santo Tomas. San Sebastian College and the University of Santo Tomas (the Pontifical University) recognized him as Most Outstanding Alumnus in 1990 and 1991, respectively.

Great timing in coming out with an article right when his NCAA team appears to be experiencing difficulty in defending their crown. Case in point is their come from behind 4-point win over JRU in yesterday's game. Me thinksthat had he really been concerned, he should have come out with such article last year when his team won the crown. It would have been slightly more credible then. Bakit kaya ngayon lang sya nagsulat ? ::)

With this statement then, do the ends of winning by roughhousing justify the means of tripping, elbowing and punching?

Who can thus blame the disadvantaged teams for sometimes resorting to rough tactics as they desperately try to even the odds? While it cannot be condoned, we must nevertheless understand that this disadvantage provokes the tripping, elbowing and punching which mar the games. Have we not seen enough of that human tendency in the pages of history — when the cold and hungry resorted to bloody violent means in their desperate attempt to attain relief?

In yesterday's SSC-JRU game, Baste's Maconocido took out JRU's Bulangis by diving underneath the latter and causing a sprain on Bulangis' knee. Up to that point, Bulangis had a stellar game in quarterbacking the offense of JRU. After that incident, Bulangis was rested on the bench and Baste gradually made their run eventuallly leading to their win. >:(

Di naman pre though nanununtok, naniniko, namamatid, nandudura...

Joescoundrel
09-02-2010, 10:29 AM
The sheer stupidity of this article only fuels the fire more that opinion columnists should just stick to their specialties and not delve into things on which they have little or no knowledge.

Billy Esposo, as Mangtsito pointed out, always has something stupid to say during the college basketball season, and yes, here it is.

We do not want American and other universities overseas to disciminate against Filipinos. Why then are we advocating that our universities discriminate against foreigners?

Wasn't golfer Jennifer Rosales recruited and given a golf scholarship by Stanford? Same with Korean Michelle Wie? If we find nothing wrong with that, why was it wrong to offer Sam Ekwe, Sudan Daniel, Etame Joe and any other foreigner the same deal to play their sport here?

datu_pula
09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Now, San Beda is poised to win another NCAA championship with Sudan Daniels, another foreign recruit, as a key player...

Is he giving up on the 'Olden S-thugs this early?

Gee, if he were not from Baste and does not condone but asks us instead to understand the roughhousing tactics of s-thugs like Maconocido and Bulawan [and spitting image of A-pwe-va, the poster boy of NCAA], I would have let his piece pass as coming form a noble nationalist of purist, isolationist vintage, and let him sit on his chair, or even wreck it, if he wishes to.

He should try writing on the entry of blood money into the NCAA, allegedly with blessings from school authorities.

The_Big_Cat
09-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Lossers would ALWAYS find an Excuse :P Kaya naman pala eh. Galing siya sa Branched Horns Colllege.

Move on William.....There are Bigger and More Important Issues to Write!

William is probably "joejoejoe" from the other forum who keeps bashing SBC on foreign recruits. He hates joes. haha!

LION
09-02-2010, 10:46 AM

His maternal great grandfather was a foreigner from Scotland who, according to Esposo, was one of the pioneers of Del Monte.

This great grandfather was the Philippine Open Golf Champion in 1919 and 1920 and therefore, could have been the first import and/or foreigner to play golf in the country. Of course, foreigners were allowed that's why it's called the Philippine Open. ;D

Now, for him to single out San Beda shows his ignorance of the collegiate environment nowadays. Let's make a list of foreigners who have played / are playing in the UAAP and the NCAA.

For San Beda:

1. Sam Ekwe
2. Sudan Daniel

I don't know of any other foreigner representing or who have represented SBC in other NCAA events.

How about the other NCAA and UAAP schools?

My point here is to show that the schools that do not have foreign players in their basketball teams have foreigners in their other teams like volleyball, football, etc.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Stupid esposo.

admiral thrawn
09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I think may galit si Chairwrecker sa SBC. He even devoted one article against SBC before.

MonL
09-02-2010, 11:11 AM

On the contrary, he is telling us that thuggery is justified because these are desperate men instead of student athletes representing educational/religious institutions which should inculcate proper intellectual, spiritual and social values in these athletes.

Is he telling us that these institutions have failed in their work by producing thugs instead of students and asking the rest of us to understand?

Mang_Roger
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Someone failed to take his daily glass of Ensure. ;D

yungha
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
nice article (sarcastic). never heard "machiavelli" mentioned this many times in a single article before. and comparing the situation to the marcos dictatorship, adolf hitler's genocide and the american government's similar genocide of Native American peoples is just plain sick.

nicksy
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
We do not want to single out a particular school in this issue but the case of the San Beda Red Lions of the NCAA sticks out like a sore thumb.

WE, who do he represent? hmm if it is true that he is a San Sebastian alumnus*, then maybe the word "we" he represents is the San Sebastian community

Without counterpart imports, it is like playing against a loaded deck of cards. A tall and imposing player like Ekwe and Daniels will force the smaller opponents to avoid lay ups and resort to the low percentage outside shots. On the offensive end, these tall foreign recruits provide offensive rebounds, thereby increasing their chances to score. For an all-Filipino team, it’s like playing against a team with a 10-point advantage in baskets and easily 8 more rebounds.

it is a simple argument, the Stags prove you wrong when they won last year, unless it a different unfair competition (diba refs)

It is clearly unfair competition and the school officials cannot claim not to know that. Still, they allowed it. Just because other schools did it before and got away with it does not justify the adoption of what is inherently unfair. Just because the rules of the tournament did not have the foresight to anticipate this development
and prohibit it — does not justify implementing what is clearly against the spirit of fair competition.

Fire on the "GAME" not on a single team nor a player.

sabi mo kasi sa title "How the UAAP and NCAA cage wars reflect our hypocrisy"
but the discussion is focus only to San Beda, ni wala ngang UAAP team binanggit.

Who can thus blame the disadvantaged teams for sometimes resorting to rough tactics as they desperately try to even the odds? While it cannot be condoned, we must nevertheless understand that this disadvantage provokes the tripping, elbowing and punching which mar the games.

yun pala talaga style nila.
calling Maconocido.pwede na rin si Kevin A. ;D

the poor Filipino center gets a mouthful from his coach. Sometimes, the poor Filipino center is even insulted by his coach just to prod him to contain the damage being wrought by the foreign recruit. Desperate, the poor Filipino center throws a punch, is thrown out of the game and is suspended from playing in the next game.

it's all about MOTIVATION not DEMORALIZATION, kung Si Coach Di marunong Magmotivate, hindi dapat siya nagcocoach,
and it Also Depend also on the Player , if he will Fire-up and motivate to face the tall Duty, the likes of Rey Guevara who Faced ekwe, or Abueva who always bring their "A" game when facing San Beda.

When did you Recall when a player is Suspended/thrown-out during/after Facing San Beda Due to punching or similar tactics.?

mr. Esposo might doing a lot reasoning early this season, so that if San Sebastian did not B2B, people is conditioned (assuming that San Beda or even JRU won) that it is because they have a Foreign Player, and he seasoned his reason with the Machiavelli mindset/philosophy to have more conviction (kapani-paniwala).sound like a dirty tactic for me.

if it is true that he is a SSC alumnus*, thus he should not wrote this kinds of columns, it is a conflict of interest knowing that SSC is on the Bid of retaining the crown, and San Beda is only the Blockade onto that path.

Billy Esposo studied at the Ateneo de Manila, San Sebastian College and University of Santo Tomas. San Sebastian College and the University of Santo Tomas (the Pontifical University) recognized him as Most Outstanding Alumnus in 1990 and 1991, respectively.

Bodhisattva
09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
it's an issue that has been tackled and addressed accordingly. why raise a howl now? he didn't seem to mind it when RL lost the championship last season. if he truly wants to change the "mindset", go and change the f...cking ncaa and uaap policies. these were all done in accordance with the rules. when he suddenly realized he want to talk about hypocrisy and corruption in our society and correlate it to the local basketball culture, this jerk should have wrote about gamefixing and eligibility scandals which would be good angles to look into in relevance to the issue.

and he said he isn't singling out san beda. another bitter soul! Cabron...C...o!!!!!

lekiboy
09-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Is he telling us that these institutions have failed in their work by producing thugs instead of students and asking the rest of us to understand?

no, bro.. he is actually telling us that he failed the institutions that educated him...and san beda is to blame for all the "kahayupan" his team is doing in the NCAA.

hayup talaga. hahahaha- duraan ko to e.... :P

lekiboy
09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
editor@philstar.com - for your comments and suggestions...

BedanRoar
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Mang_Roger
09-02-2010, 02:46 PM
^
^
I posted in the Den that the matter should be brought to the attention of STAR. Come to think of it, Esposo is just a troll trying to attract attention. Huwag na lang sisikat pa yan. Let's not feed the troll.

MonL
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
^
A sorry excuse of an opinion. I am reminded of the character "Big Moose" in the Archie comic strip. In one strip someone wrote on a graffiti wall:

"No amount of reducing can make Moose get rid of his FATHEAD." ;D

Don't forget your day job, because you suck as a columnist. Or is it calumnist?

nicksy
09-02-2010, 03:58 PM

I already Did my part.

razor
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM
This is has to be stupidest excuse or justification to "ban" foreign players in Philippine college basketball leagues. Talo pa ni Esposo mga fanboys or plain trolls from PEX in coming up with ridiculous or absurd arguments:

BedanRoar
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Come to think of it.....He's worthless article is showing signs of insecurity, especially when he was identified as a alumnus of B___T_!

Baka hindi ka kasi nakapwesto ng maganda nung panahon ni Cory dahil nasapawan ka ng mga Alumni ng eskwela nila Ekwe at Daniel! ::)

courtsidebarker
09-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Come to think of it.....He's worthless article is showing signs of insecurity, especially when he was identified as a alumnus of B___T_!

Baka hindi ka kasi nakapwesto ng maganda nung panahon ni Cory dahil nasapawan ka ng mga Alumni ng eskwela nila Ekwe at Daniel! ::)

AGREE! ;D

Kid Cubao
09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
ang problema dito kay billy esposo happens whenever he swerves off-topic and instead trains his eyes on sports, particularly basketball. his comments and observations on the subject are absolute hogwash and can only be written by someone who's clearly out of his element. pareng billy, just go back to preaching the true, the good, and the beautiful about the yellow movement ;D

franz_inwurdz
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
AGREE! ;D

still waiting for your PM brad ;)

thadzonline
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
UPHDS has tabbed an African 6'7 guy

BedanRoar
09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Racial discrimination?
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco (The Philippine Star) Updated August 02, 2010 12:00 AM Comments (10)

Each college basketball season, the question of foreign players suiting up for schools becomes an issue, particularly since they have been the key to success of teams like San Beda in the NCAA and, to a lesser degree, its opponent Jose Rizal University and La Salle and FEU in the UAAP. Although rules have been put in place at last to minimize protests (such as disallowing them once other teams have already seen the lineups before the season), the grousing and comments don’t seem to stop. It seems as ticklish as citizenship issues in national teams and the PBA.

Students of schools with the proper residency and age – regardless of nationality – are allowed to play in both the UAAP and NCAA. Teams are allowed to have two per team, with only one to play at any given time. Those are the existing limitations on foreign varsity players.

First of all, there are no laws restricting foreigners from studying in the Philippines. Theoretically, a citizen of another country (again, with the proper educational level and other requirements) may enroll in any college or university in the country. This also means that they are entitled to other rights granted students of those schools, such as joining extra-curricular activities and sports teams. Being a student supercedes other qualifications.

It is ironic that we are proud of our skills in the game of basketball, yet acknowledge that we do not have the size for it, which is at the root of this perennial dilemma. On one hand, we wish to have the advantage of foreign-born players, but on the other, we do not want them “taking away” slots from full-blooded Filipino players. The paradox is a bit confusing when you think about it. If we are really able to compete with anybody, then we should just open things up, and allow whoever wants to play, to play, if they deserve it.

In the United States, school sports teams take advantage of having players from countries that have specific advantages in sports. Koreans and Korean-Americans represent their schools in taekwondo, students of European extraction play soccer, and so on. Those who deserve it, get to play.

One explanation for this ironic situation is that nowadays, foreign players are recruited to play for schools, with the African continent becoming a fertile new ground for player acquisition. Students there come from poor backgrounds, have natural size and athletic ability, live in temperate climates, and would love to get a free education. So they come here, and experience all the perks of being a big name in school sports. It is an attractive proposition for a few years. Eventually, like San Beda’s Sam Ekwe, they can use their training to play professionally in other countries. There are countless other examples of those who lived and played varsity sports in the US and became professional athletes in basketball and other sports.

An example of this would be San Sebastian College, the reigning NCAA men’s basketball champion. Most of the players come from Pampanga, and they have no foreign-born players at all. Yet, they were as dominant as any team has been in the league, and continue to be so this season.

And last season, JRU’s prolific shooting guard John Wilson was hailed MVP.

A similar situation emerged in the PBA when the Metropolitan Basketball Association was born. The MBA allowed each team to have a maximum of two Fil-foreign players. In its first season, the MBA also had a rule that foreign players who were born in the Philippines could play as Filipinos. The following year, the rule was rescinded, the only beneficiary was Alex Compton, who has been an outstanding citizen and learned the language while deciding to stay here. The PBA then did not put a limit on Fil-foreign players, a move which they corrected years later.

Soon, there was an overabundance of Filipino-Americans and other mixed-race players in the league, and soon, local-born players openly complained that they were losing jobs.

Strangely enough, this also happened while the PBA was lending players to Philippine teams. The PBA allows players to play in the league as long as one parent was a Filipino citizen at the time of his birth.

If you recall, the same controversy swirled around foreign PBA coaches from Ron Jacobs on down.
Of course, I defended Jacobs at the time, explaining that coaching was not a regulated profession in the Philippines, and that if private companies – like those with teams in the PBA – could hire foreign consultants and officers for other aspects of their businesses, why not coaches?

The NBA has managed to expand around the globe because of the influx of foreign players. And their players, in turn, have strengthened or greatly contributed to strong national teams in Argentina, Germany, China, Spain, France and other countries. Both sides have reaped benefits.

So why is it a big deal for foreign players to play in local college basketball ? For one, both leagues enjoy a higher profile now with their television exposure on ABS-CBN, which has made the recognizable overseas, as well. Also, with more and more wealthy alumni getting involved in ownership or management of large schools, there is bigger money involved. Varsity sports is also a big source, of revenue for schools, from alumni donations to sponsorships.

It seems that we haven’t really made up our minds where we stand on the skill of Filipinos in sports. If we are good enough, then it shouldn’t matter who is recruited or tries out for the team. Filipinos have played as imports in Indonesia, Hong Kong and other places, and our coaches run or have run national teams in Indonesia, Vietnam, Brunei, Qatar and so on. If we aren’t that good, then limiting the number of foreign players shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Perhaps we live for the day when, by choice, we will either not have any foreign players at all, or be confident enough that it won’t matter if they play or not.

Bodhisattva
09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Racial discrimination?
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco (The Philippine Star) Updated August 02, 2010 12:00 AM Comments (10)

Each college basketball season, the question of foreign players suiting up for schools becomes an issue, particularly since they have been the key to success of teams like San Beda in the NCAA and, to a lesser degree, its opponent Jose Rizal University and La Salle and FEU in the UAAP. Although rules have been put in place at last to minimize protests (such as disallowing them once other teams have already seen the lineups before the season), the grousing and comments don’t seem to stop. It seems as ticklish as citizenship issues in national teams and the PBA.

Students of schools with the proper residency and age – regardless of nationality – are allowed to play in both the UAAP and NCAA. Teams are allowed to have two per team, with only one to play at any given time. Those are the existing limitations on foreign varsity players.

First of all, there are no laws restricting foreigners from studying in the Philippines. Theoretically, a citizen of another country (again, with the proper educational level and other requirements) may enroll in any college or university in the country. This also means that they are entitled to other rights granted students of those schools, such as joining extra-curricular activities and sports teams. Being a student supercedes other qualifications.

It is ironic that we are proud of our skills in the game of basketball, yet acknowledge that we do not have the size for it, which is at the root of this perennial dilemma. On one hand, we wish to have the advantage of foreign-born players, but on the other, we do not want them “taking away” slots from full-blooded Filipino players. The paradox is a bit confusing when you think about it. If we are really able to compete with anybody, then we should just open things up, and allow whoever wants to play, to play, if they deserve it.

In the United States, school sports teams take advantage of having players from countries that have specific advantages in sports. Koreans and Korean-Americans represent their schools in taekwondo, students of European extraction play soccer, and so on. Those who deserve it, get to play.

One explanation for this ironic situation is that nowadays, foreign players are recruited to play for schools, with the African continent becoming a fertile new ground for player acquisition. Students there come from poor backgrounds, have natural size and athletic ability, live in temperate climates, and would love to get a free education. So they come here, and experience all the perks of being a big name in school sports. It is an attractive proposition for a few years. Eventually, like San Beda’s Sam Ekwe, they can use their training to play professionally in other countries. There are countless other examples of those who lived and played varsity sports in the US and became professional athletes in basketball and other sports.

An example of this would be San Sebastian College, the reigning NCAA men’s basketball champion. Most of the players come from Pampanga, and they have no foreign-born players at all. Yet, they were as dominant as any team has been in the league, and continue to be so this season.

And last season, JRU’s prolific shooting guard John Wilson was hailed MVP.

A similar situation emerged in the PBA when the Metropolitan Basketball Association was born. The MBA allowed each team to have a maximum of two Fil-foreign players. In its first season, the MBA also had a rule that foreign players who were born in the Philippines could play as Filipinos. The following year, the rule was rescinded, the only beneficiary was Alex Compton, who has been an outstanding citizen and learned the language while deciding to stay here. The PBA then did not put a limit on Fil-foreign players, a move which they corrected years later.

Soon, there was an overabundance of Filipino-Americans and other mixed-race players in the league, and soon, local-born players openly complained that they were losing jobs.

Strangely enough, this also happened while the PBA was lending players to Philippine teams. The PBA allows players to play in the league as long as one parent was a Filipino citizen at the time of his birth.

If you recall, the same controversy swirled around foreign PBA coaches from Ron Jacobs on down.
Of course, I defended Jacobs at the time, explaining that coaching was not a regulated profession in the Philippines, and that if private companies – like those with teams in the PBA – could hire foreign consultants and officers for other aspects of their businesses, why not coaches?

The NBA has managed to expand around the globe because of the influx of foreign players. And their players, in turn, have strengthened or greatly contributed to strong national teams in Argentina, Germany, China, Spain, France and other countries. Both sides have reaped benefits.

So why is it a big deal for foreign players to play in local college basketball ? For one, both leagues enjoy a higher profile now with their television exposure on ABS-CBN, which has made the recognizable overseas, as well. Also, with more and more wealthy alumni getting involved in ownership or management of large schools, there is bigger money involved. Varsity sports is also a big source, of revenue for schools, from alumni donations to sponsorships.

It seems that we haven’t really made up our minds where we stand on the skill of Filipinos in sports. If we are good enough, then it shouldn’t matter who is recruited or tries out for the team. Filipinos have played as imports in Indonesia, Hong Kong and other places, and our coaches run or have run national teams in Indonesia, Vietnam, Brunei, Qatar and so on. If we aren’t that good, then limiting the number of foreign players shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Perhaps we live for the day when, by choice, we will either not have any foreign players at all, or be confident enough that it won’t matter if they play or not.

Para kay Esposo at Suntay ba yan, Bill? Mabuhay ka!

Regular Grey
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Paging the Mr esposo, young sthugs mo, purr pananakit nag ginagawa. Ok Nga Lang pala sa yo yun. Dahil para sa yo tama Lang yan. Sana walang bedista na maka isip na tama ring saktan ka, kasi para sa kanila, unfair naman nag ginawa mong pag sulat laban sa kanila.

Schortsanitis
09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Naku, ingat kayo. Malakas iyang si Billy Esposo-NEGRO sa kasalukuyang Administrasyon ... LOL

lekiboy
09-07-2010, 09:22 AM
The Final Score: The Clash over College Imports by: Mico Halili, GMANews.TV
You wake up from an afternoon nap. Still half-asleep, you switch on the television and find a basketball game. You're conscious enough to notice that each team has a towering import but not awake enough to realize that it's not the PBA. Welcome to the new wave of collegiate imports.

Adamson's Austin Manyara from Kenya and National University's Emmanuel Mbe from Cameroon jostle for position because their teams need to win. Imports are here, from every continent, to help varsity teams succeed. A nobler purpose is to help our local big men improve. The noblest purpose is to rightfully earn a college degree for free. As expected, jaded fans struggle to equate the arrival of reinforcements with nobility.

Some cling to the ideal of "homegrown" varsity rosters. It's a purist attitude that proposes only players nurtured in the same school (same country?) from boyhood to young adulthood are worthy of the uniform. We once lived in a time when a 6-8 win-loss record wasn't a catastrophe and the need to rebuild wasn't rising from the ruins of Armageddon. But this is the age of the all-out war for the best endorsement deals, best bankrollers and best players ? regardless of nationality. The imports are here because the nature of today's unforgiving college game brought them all here to play, to win.

Some call it an invasion. Some call imports mercenaries; hired hit-men who get in, get the job done (fast), then get out. I find that impression harsh partly because college basketball is a recruiters' league and partly because many prized local recruits, those born and bred in the Philippines, same guys who choose schools on the basis of either breezy academics or the bottom line or both, have been striking deals long before the UAAP became a marketing buzzword.

Imports have supposedly launched a level of competition similar to a Cold War arms race. Then again, the ruthless scramble for weapons of mass celebration started long before Sam Ekwe learned the "backing" violation. Teams that recruit best often win big. Imports will also supposedly steal roster spots from Filipino players. Imports, however, snatch opportunities from local players the same way local players snatch opportunities from local students. Applicants who can dunk can swipe slots from applicants who can't, right? Maybe. Maybe not. All-out competition has often led us to gray areas, then and now.

The unprecedented arrival of imports deserves further study, if the success derived from fielding imports will allow it. But what's good for Charice Pempengco is good for Emmanuel Mbe. We celebrate how Hollywood embraces Charice. Shouldn't we be more open-minded (but not na?ve) about imports and life-changing opportunities they have here? In the internet age, we wonder if it's the best or worst time to be protectionist. The future of collegiate basketball hangs in the balance. In the meantime, imports blend perfectly with the bedlam of college hoops. We ask, "Why are they already here?" What we should be asking is, "What took them so long?" - GMANews.TV

kerouac82
09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
What's funnier is that Mr Esposo himself is not even "purely" Filipino, if there is such a thing:

On the maternal side, he is descended from the Macgregor clan of the Highlands of Scotland. His maternal grandfather Ian C. Trotter-Macgregor, who came to the Philippines at the turn of the century, was the Philippine Open Golf Champion in 1919 and 1920 and was one of the pioneers who established the Philippine Packing Corporation (Del Monte) in Bukidnon.

He also represents the Clan Gregor Society of Scotland in the Philippines and Southeast Asia.

The_Big_Cat
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
What's funnier is that Mr Esposo himself is not even "purely" Filipino, if there is such a thing:

On the maternal side, he is descended from the Macgregor clan of the Highlands of Scotland. His maternal grandfather Ian C. Trotter-Macgregor, who came to the Philippines at the turn of the century, was the Philippine Open Golf Champion in 1919 and 1920 and was one of the pioneers who established the Philippine Packing Corporation (Del Monte) in Bukidnon.

He also represents the Clan Gregor Society of Scotland in the Philippines and Southeast Asia.

Naambunan siguro ng jueteng payola yan.

danny
09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Paging the Mr esposo, young sthugs mo, purr pananakit nag ginagawa. Ok Nga Lang pala sa yo yun. Dahil para sa yo tama Lang yan. Sana walang bedista na maka isip na tama ring saktan ka, kasi para sa kanila, unfair naman nag ginawa mong pag sulat laban sa kanila.

Gawain niya yan sa Baste matapos ma-kick out sa Ateneo (syempre dahil din sa rambol). Mahilig sa rambulan kaya ok lang yan sa kanya.

Pati titulo ng column niya, obvious di ba. :D

BedanRoar
09-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Gawain niya yan sa Baste matapos ma-kick out sa Ateneo (syempre dahil din sa rambol). Mahilig sa rambulan kaya ok lang yan sa kanya.

Pati titulo ng column niya, obvious di ba. :D

Ang masakit dun sa kwento mo...Siya ang nabubugbog! ;D Hehehehe

danny
09-09-2010, 03:41 AM
^^^

Hindi naman. Nakabugbug din naman daw siya.

He eventually became the Editor-in-Chief of the High School paper. Duda ko may nabugbog kaya siya ang ginawang Editor-In-Chief. He eventually became a PR guy. Propagandista ba ng mga may pambayad.

What is really funny about this whole thing of "reclaiming" the Filipino soul ek ek in basketball is the fact that basketball is a game invented by foreigners, Canadians to be precise. If we go with the vulgar-nationalism of Esposo, why not extend the critique to the sport itself? Stop playing basketball. :D

Extend it even to the corporate sponsors who are owned and operated by foreign entities. The liberalization and deregulation of the entire economy from trade, industry and finance opened the doors for foreign invasion. (Sino dito ang nagtatrabaho ns mga MNCs? )

Yes, Esposo will sometimes pose as anti-Imperialist... but those are purely postures from a PR man looking for the next payola este PR assignment.

Matapos kumapit kay Gloria, kay Noynoy naman. Esposo nga nga nman.

thadzonline
09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
6'7 Adefemi Babayemi Oriyo will play his first game for Perpetual this SUnday(?)

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2010, 10:20 AM
MonL,
Kindly make a list with the school, est year and name of player...
This is very interesting..thanks.

Anthony Williams led FEU to the 1979, 1980 and 1981 UAAP championships. Williams was also the 1981 UAAP MVP.
UST had american 6'3" Chandler Donaldson played for them in the '95 and '96 UAAP title run. After his UAAP career, Donaldson played for the MBA (Socsksargen Marlins) with teammate Angelo Velasco.

Ateneo had its share of foreign student-athletes; Ma Ming (China) in the early 90s, Zion Laterre (Australia), Kirk Long (USA) and Vince Burke (USA). Early this millenium UP had the latino heartthrob Rob Bornacin.

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
MonL,
Kindly make a list with the school, est year and name of player...
This is very interesting..thanks.

Anthony Williams led FEU to the 1979, 1980 and 1981 UAAP championships. Williams was also the 1981 UAAP MVP.
UST had american 6'3" Chandler Donaldson played for them in the '95 and '96 UAAP title run. After his UAAP career, Donaldson played for the MBA (Socsksargen Marlins) with teammate Angelo Velasco.

Ateneo had its share of foreign student-athletes; Ma Ming (China) in the early 90s, Zion Laterre (Australia), Kirk Long (USA) and Vince Burke (USA). Early this millenium UP had the latino heartthrob Rob Bornacin.

Ok here is the list:
1. 1979-80, 81- FEU- Anthony Williams
2. 1995-96 - UST - Chandler Donaldson
3. 199? - Ateneo - Ma Ming
4. 2006-2008 - San Beda- Sam Ekwe
5. 200? - 200? - Ateneo - Zion Laterre
6. 200? - 2009 - Ateneo - Vince Burke
7. 200? - 200? - DLSU - Marko Batricevic
8. 200? - 2009 - DLSU - Bader Malabes?
9. 200? - UP - Rob Bornacin
10. 2010- present - NU - Mbe
11. 2010 - present -Adamson - Manyara
12. 2008- present - JRU -Nchotu Njei
13. 2010- present - JRU - Joe Etame
14. 2009-present - San Beda- Sudan Daniel
15. 2007- present - Ateneo - Kirk Long

Feel free to edit and post the updated list.

elvis
09-23-2010, 10:55 AM
^Sir, I think for no. 7 you meant Kirk Long.

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
^Sir, I think for no. 7 you meant Kirk Long.

thanks...edited.

Feel free to edit and post the updated list.

salsa caballero
09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Ahem! FERDINAND of DLSU please! Sana hanggang 2011-2012! ;D

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 11:05 AM

thanks, boss salsa..di ko napansin. ;D

16. 2007?- present - DLSU - Ferdinand

salsa caballero
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
...no worries...hindi kasi pansinin masyado eh... ;)

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM

thanks, boss salsa..di ko napansin. ;D

17. Charles Mammie (Sierra Leone) - red shirting for Arellano University. Eligible next year.

Diba may Filipino roots itong si Bader Malabes? Si Darryl Green who played for the Letran Squires then suited up for the UST Growling Tigers last year, Fil-Foreign or Foreign?

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
17. Charles Mammie (Sierra Leone) - red shirting for Arellano University. Eligible next year.

Diba may Filipino roots itong si Bader Malabes? Si Darryl Green who played for the Letran Squires then suited up for the UST Growling Tigers last year, Fil-Foreign or Foreign?

sama ko na din yung nasa pipeline:

17. 2011 onwards - Arellano - Charles Mammie - meron pa itong isa di ba?
18. 2011 onwards - MIT? ;D- Taha
19. 20?? onwards - San Beda - Adeogun Olayde

razor
09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
^ Fil-Jordanian daw si Taha

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 11:26 AM

taha deleted...e si malabes? fil-bharaini? si jobe from ADMU?

18. 20?? onwards - San Beda - Adeogun Olayde

razor
09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
18. 2011 onwards - MIT? ;D- Taha
19. 20?? onwards - San Beda - Adeogun Olayde

How about the Cameroonians of FEU - Pippo and the 6'11 boy? I think they arrived at the time Sam Ekwe was making waves in the NCAA.

razor
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM

taha deleted...e si malabes? fil-bharaini? si jobe from ADMU?

Jobe N. (how do you spell his name? ;D) is Fil-Nigerian

jembengzon
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
robert kave was with feu at the time of the baracael shooting incident, a year ahead of pippo. he went home shortly afterwards.

razor
09-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Adamson has a pair of Guamanians (Stinnet and another one in Team B) in addition to Manyara.

BigBlue
09-23-2010, 11:36 AM
What about Ali of UE who played in the alte 90's with Tubid, Artadi et al?

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
What about Ali of UE who played in the alte 90's with Tubid, Artadi et al?

Omar Ali from Somalia. Around 1998 or 1999 siya nag start maglaro for UE.

Jeep
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
adamson has another "import" (if you wanna use that term): will stinnett, an off-guard who appears to be eric salamat's "favorite" playmate. ;D

for UP, you missed moriah gingerich, like kirk long and vince burke a product of faith academy, so technically laking-pinoy rin.

razor
09-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Re-posting what oca stated in the other thread:

Now, draw a timeline, from Danding's bastardization of the NT until the present sino-sino ba ang prominent na "import sa collegiate leagues".

Wala.... until Sam Ekwe came, leading the Red Lions to a 3-peat from 2006 to 2008. But still, strictly speaking, Ekwe was not recruited by SBC. He was referred by a non-Bedan to a Bedan-- sa madaling salita hulog ng langit yan sa Mendiola.

Ngayon, nang makita ng ibang paaralan na "malaking bentahe ang may tulad ni Ekwe", dun nagsimula ang importation, aka "recruitment ng foreign player".

IMO, 2 punto ang malinaw dito---

1) Danding had nothing to do with the current trend.
2) SBC did not start the practice of recruiting foreign players.

Tanong : Sino ang nagpasimula nito?

So who started the African invasion (post Ekwe) by actively recruiting abroad employing basketball agents and the likes?

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
2. 1995-96 - UST - Chandler Donaldson- US
3. 199? - Ateneo - Ma Ming- China
4. 1998 - 1999? - UE - Omar Ali - Somalia
5. 2006-2008 - San Beda- Sam Ekwe
6. 2008 - FEU- Robert Kave- Nigeria
7. 2007 - 2008 - Ateneo - Zion Laterre - Australia
8. 2008 - 2009 - Ateneo - Vince Burke- US
9. 2006 - 2008 - DLSU - Marko Batricevic- Croatia?
10. 2006 - 2009 - DLSU - Bader Malabes? - Bahrain
11. 200? - UP - Rob Bornacin - South America?
12. 2010- present -UP - Moriah Gingerich - US
13. 2010- present - NU - Mbe- ?
14. 2010 - present -Adamson - Manyara - ?
15. 2010 - present - Adamson - Stinett- Guam, US
16. 2008- present - JRU -Nchotu Njei - Cameroon
17. 2010- present - JRU - Joe Etame- Cameroon
18. 2009-present - San Beda- Sudan Daniel - US
19. 2007- present - Ateneo - Kirk Long- US
20. 2007?- present - DLSU - Ferdinand- Indonesia
21. 2009- present - FEU - Pippo Nonduo - Cameroon - right spelling?
22. 2011 onwards - Arellano - Charles Mammie - Cameroon - meron pa itong isa di ba?
23. 20?? onwards - San Beda - Adeogun Olayde
24. 20?? onwards - Adamson - "Guamanian"
25. 20?? onwards - UP - Alinko - ?

razor
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
^ UP's Alinko can already play next year

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
2. 1995-96 - UST - Chandler Donaldson- US
3. 199? - Ateneo - Ma Ming - China
4. 1998 - 1999? - UE - Omar Ali - Somalia
5. 2006-2008 - San Beda- Sam Ekwe - Nigeria
6. 2008 - FEU- Robert Kave- Nigeria
7. 2007 - 2008 - Ateneo - Zion Laterre - Australia
8. 2008 - 2009 - Ateneo - Vince Burke- US
9. 2006 - 2008 - DLSU - Marko Batricevic- Croatia
10. 2006 - 2009 - DLSU - Bader Malabes? - Bahrain
13. 2010- present - NU - Mbe- ?
14. 2010 - present -Adamson - Manyara - ?
15. 2010 - present - Adamson - Stinett- Guam, US
21. 2009- present - FEU - Pippo Nonduo - Cameroon - right spelling?
22. 2011 onwards - Arellano - Charles Mammie - Sierra Leone - meron pa itong isa di ba?
23. 20?? onwards - San Beda - Adeogun Olayde- Nigeria

AnthonyServinio
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Chandler Donaldson is originaly from Angeles City and has a Filipina mother. He even spent his high school days at San Sebastian College in Manila before going to Santo Tomas.

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
donaldson deleted

1. 1979-80, 81- FEU- Anthony Williams- US
2. 199? - Ateneo - Ma Ming - China
3. 1998 - 1999? - UE - Omar Ali - Somalia
4. 2006-2008 - San Beda- Sam Ekwe - Nigeria
5. 2008 - FEU- Robert Kave- Papua New Guinea
6. 2007 - 2008 - Ateneo - Zion Laterre - Australia
7. 2008 - 2009 - Ateneo - Vince Burke- US
8. 2006 - 2008 - DLSU - Marko Batricevic- Croatia
9. 2006 - 2009 - DLSU - Bader Malabes? - Bahrain
10. 200? - UP - Rob Bornacin - South America?
11. 2010- present -UP - Moriah Gingerich - US
12. 2010- present - NU - Emmanuel Mbe- Cameroon
13. 2010 - present -Adamson - Austin Manyara - Kenya
14. 2010 - present - Adamson - George? Stinett- Guam, US
15. 2008- present - JRU -Nchotu Njei - Cameroon
16. 2010- present - JRU - Joe Etame- Cameroon
17. 2009-present - San Beda- Sudan Daniel - US
18. 2007- present - Ateneo - Kirk Long- US
19. 2007?- present - DLSU - Ferdinand- Indonesia
20. 2009- present - FEU - Hyppolite "Pippo" Noundou - Cameroon - right spelling?
21. 2011 onwards - Arellano - Charles Mammie - Sierra Leone - meron pa itong isa di ba?
22. 20?? onwards - San Beda - Adeogun Olayde
23. 20?? onwards - Adamson - "Guamanian"
24. 20?? onwards - UP - Alinko - ?

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Chandler Donaldson is originaly from Angeles City and has a Filipina mother. He even spent his high school days at San Sebastian College in Manila before going to Santo Tomas.

Thanks for the correction on Chandler Donaldson.
How about Darryl Green? ???

AnthonyServinio
09-23-2010, 12:24 PM
How about Darryl Green? ???

Darryl Green also has a Filipino mother.

A couple of years ago, Perpetual Help-Dalta fielded an Indonesian in Ryan Febrian and a South Korean guard in Lee Sang Myeon. They almost had a second Indonesian in 6'8" Isman Thoyib be he was ruled ineligible before the season.

By the way, how about foreigners in the other college leagues like NAASCU, UCAA/NCRAA, CUSA and even in the provinces?

Henry Betayane (Cameroon) - STI
Romeo Fotue (Cameroon) - EAC-Manila (pre-NCAA era)
Smith Jallah (Liberia) - PSBA-QC

I also recall TIP-Manila with a pair of Americans and Las Pinas College with two Cameroonians. De La Salle-Araneta also once fielded a 6'6" South Korean whose name escapes me.

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
2. 1998 - 1999 - UE - Omar Ali - Somalia
3. 2006-2008 - San Beda- Sam Ekwe - Nigeria
4. 2008 - FEU- Robert Kave- Papua New Guinea
5. 2007 - 2008 - Ateneo - Zion Laterre - Australia
6. 2008 - 2009 - Ateneo - Vince Burke- US
7. 2006 - 2008 - DLSU - Marko Batricevic- Croatia
8. 2006 - 2009 - DLSU - Bader Malabes? - Bahrain
9. 2008? - UPHDS - Ryan Febrian - Indonesia
10. 2007 -2008? - UPHDS - Lee Sang Myeon - South Korea
13. 2010- present - NU - Emmanuel Mbe- Cameroon
14. 2010 - present -Adamson - Austin Manyara - Kenya
15. 2010 - present - Adamson - George? Stinett- Guam, US
21. 2009- present - FEU - Hyppolite "Pippo" Noundou - Cameroon
22. 2011 onwards - Arellano - Charles Mammie - Sierra Leone - meron pa itong isa di ba?

i will keep the list within the two top leagues for now..thanks anthony..

elvis
09-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Didn't DLSU have a Korean in their team 2 seasons ago?

BigBlue
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
^wala ata. yung korean, sa Perpetual ata yun. Btw, Ma Ming never suited up for Ateneo.

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
^wala ata. yung korean, sa Perpetual ata yun. Btw, Ma Ming never suited up for Ateneo.

deleted ma ming. thanks, big blue.

kerouac82
09-23-2010, 02:44 PM
How about University of Baguio's former F/C Sammy Ayodele? Does he have any Pinoy heritage?

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Ma Ming suited up for Ateneo in of those off-season tournaments that was televised in the mid-90s. But yes he did not get to play in the UAAP. I think was brought here by his older brother, Ma Jian, who played as an import in the PBL for Hapee coached by Junel Baculi in the 90s.

danny
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Re-posting what oca stated in the other thread:

Now, draw a timeline, from Danding's bastardization of the NT until the present sino-sino ba ang prominent na "import sa collegiate leagues".

Wala.... until Sam Ekwe came, leading the Red Lions to a 3-peat from 2006 to 2008. But still, strictly speaking, Ekwe was not recruited by SBC. He was referred by a non-Bedan to a Bedan-- sa madaling salita hulog ng langit yan sa Mendiola.

Ngayon, nang makita ng ibang paaralan na "malaking bentahe ang may tulad ni Ekwe", dun nagsimula ang importation, aka "recruitment ng foreign player".

IMO, 2 punto ang malinaw dito---

1) Danding had nothing to do with the current trend.
2) SBC did not start the practice of recruiting foreign players.

Tanong : Sino ang nagpasimula nito?

So who started the African invasion (post Ekwe) by actively recruiting abroad employing basketball agents and the likes?

Sino? Sino nga ba ang mahilig sa mga ahente?

lekiboy
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
^ huling tanong na yan ha...pangatlo na yan...hahahaha- ;D ::)

Mel
09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
re: Ma Ming

I think it was just an ateneo-la salle friendly in which even Jolas played.

The_Big_Cat
09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
EAC's Ke Wei Lim is from Malaysia. He played in the PBA before coming over here. The Penang Basketball Association. ;D

danny
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Sa Basketball pa lang itong pinag-uusapan. Paano na sa ibang laro?

Kayo talaga o. Mahilig sa imported. Mula ulo, hanggang paa, imported. Pati kaluluwa at pananampalataya, imported. ;D

yungha
09-23-2010, 03:40 PM
what about eriobu of NU? his name sounds foreign, he looks foreign, yet he can play alongside mbe. is he half-pinoy or naturalized?

salsa caballero
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
^ Eriobu's mom is allegedly Pinay. The kid was impressive enough in practice to make Coach Norman take notice...

c_d
09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
11. 200? - UP - Rob Bornacin - Brazil
25. 20?? onwards - UP - Alinko - Nigeria

BTW, mayroon bang nakakaalam kung kailan itong pag bisita ng Guam National team?
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3621-0-0-0&sID=34499&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12726753&sectionID=34499

After these Leagues, the Men and Women Teams will head out to Palau to participate in the Micro Games. After the Micro Games, the Men’s Team will travel to the Philippines to play against Collegiate Teams. This time Coach Sid will select a few from the Junior Team to travel with the Men’s Team so that they may gain experience.

kerouac82
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM

i will keep the list within the two top leagues for now..thanks anthony..

I remember reading in this forum that the other Guamanian's name is Steve Susuico.

salsa caballero
09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
re: marko batricevic of dlsu, he is Serbian. Baka magalit pag nakita niyang croat siya. :D

bchoter
09-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Perpetual has help coming from Nigeria, tho cousin of Adeogun Olayde
UST will have Karim Abdul Jabaar, este, take the last one away pala :D. Like Sam Ekwe, he was't recruited by UST but was an assist from a southern friend.

danny
09-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Paano nung panahong hawak pa tayo ng mga Amerikano? Maituturing bang imported ang mga manlalarong Kano sa sarili nilang "ari-arian"?

Matapos tayo bigyang laya ng Kano, sino sino pa ang mga paaralang may mga manlalarong banyaga?

lekiboy
09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
re: marko batricevic of dlsu, he is Serbian. Baka magalit pag nakita niyang croat siya. :D

thanks, salsa.

7. 2006 - 2008 - DLSU - Marko Batricevic- Serbia

danny
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Madami pa diyan. Magsalita na ang mga dapat magsalita. ;D

danny
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM

thanks, salsa.

7. 2006 - 2008 - DLSU - Marko Batricevic- Serbia

Isama na din natin yung mga panahon pa ni Mahoma.

tulf
09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
si frankie lim he is chinese american!

lekiboy
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
si frankie lim he is chinese american!

tama - but i think he has a philippine passport and is a Filipino citizen when he played for the RL.

LION
09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
^ There was a time when Frankie was the only Filipino in the RP team coached by Ron Jacobs.

oca
09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
^ There was a time when Frankie was the only Filipino in the RP team coached by Ron Jacobs.

He and JB Yango.

jembengzon
09-24-2010, 11:27 AM

He and JB Yango.

wasn't rey lazaro part of that team as well?

MonL
09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
^The so-called RP Training Team. The earliest local members IIRC were Frankie Lim, JB Yango, Manny Victorino and Ed Cordero. They were joined later on by Itoy Esguerra, Elmer Reyes, Franz Pumaren.

The_Big_Cat
09-24-2010, 11:36 AM

He and JB Yango.

The RP Team to the 1981 Jones Cup coached by Ron Jacobs. And funded by Danding Cojuangco.

That team was bannered by 8 Americans, two Fil-Ams and two local players (Lim and Yango).

MonL
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM

He and JB Yango.

The RP Team to the 1981 Jones Cup.

That team was bannered by 8 Americans, two Fil-Ams and two local players (Lim and Yango).

That team was named Northern Cement.

IIRC, Wille Pearson joined the team at one time.

I still remember some of the Americans: 5'11" Ricardo Brown, 6'11" Steve Lingenfelter, 6'8" Dennis Still, 6'3" Jeff Moore, 6'3" Eddie Joe Chavez, 7'0" Steve Schall.

Arthur "Chip" Engelland came aboard later on. He missed out playing in the last ABC (Fiba-Asia)Championship we won in the mid-80s with Moore and Still.

The_Big_Cat
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM

He and JB Yango.

I still remember some of the Americans: 5'11" Ricardo Brown, 6'11" Steve Lingenfelter, 6'8" Dennis Still, 6'3" Jeff Moore, 6'3" Eddie Joe Chavez, 7'0" Steve Schall.

Arthur "Chip" Engelland came aboard later on. He missed out playing in the last ABC (Fiba-Asia)Championship we won in the mid-80s with Moore and Still.

Of those 8 Americans, Dennis Still and Jeff Moore were retained. Chip Engelland was added and a couple of Americans (Hegwood and Nash). I was able to watch these 5 imports in an exhibition game at the RMC in the mid-80s.

MonL
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM

The only PG, yes.

bchoter
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Si Itoy diba Fil-Chi din sya... Fil yung kaliwang mata... Chi yung kanan... parang si Randy Santiago

salsa caballero
09-24-2010, 12:19 PM

He and JB Yango.

Bruce Collins was also a player then. A Jeff Moore play-alike, but more athletic and a wee-bit taller...

bchoter
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I think ther was also a Johny Nash

oca
10-21-2010, 03:17 AM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=622806&publicationSubCategoryId=64

Different public reactions to 2 collegiate basketball championships
AS I WRECK THIS CHAIR By William M. Esposo (The Philippine Star) Updated October 21, 2010 12:00 AM Comments (4) View comments

There is no denying that the UAAP (University Athletic Association of the Philippines) and the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) are the two top collegiate basketball leagues in the country. Both these leagues boast of a fabled past that is now maintained as a tradition by the alumni and current students of the competing schools.

With the championship victory of the San Beda Red Lions in the NCAA last Friday and that of the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the UAAP several weeks earlier — the collegiate basketball season came to a close. However, there is a noticeable difference with the way the San Beda and Ateneo championship feats were celebrated by the basketball “consumers” of the country.

The Ateneo championship victory was greatly applauded and admired while the San Beda championship was regarded as if it was a fait accompli. It is true that the Ateneo championship victory in the UAAP Seniors Division Finals was easy to admire because the Ateneo Blue Eagles were considered the underdogs versus the FEU (Far Eastern University) Tamaraws. In the NCAA, the San Beda Red Lions were considered the overwhelming favorites owing to their imported players.

Ateneo rose to the occasion while their FEU rivals in the UAAP Finals played way below par. The first game of the Ateneo-FEU Finals was severely criticized by my good friend Recah Trinidad in his column for the way FEU appeared not to want to win the game. Recah compared the FEU first game to a boxer
that stayed on the ropes from the starting bell up to the last round.

How can a basketball aficionado not lambasted FEU for its UAAP Finals performance when it had the big advantage of retaining the most number of veteran players compared to the rest of its competitors? Experts considered FEU superior to Ateneo in all departments of the game — guard, forward and center positions. FEU had the taller players and more reliable three-point shooters. FEU had defeated Ateneo during the first and second rounds of the tournament.

The FEU edge allowed the Ateneo Blue Eagles to win with an aura of a Cinderella finish to their championship story. As we know in life, Cinderella stories are always popular. To be accurate, Ateneo did not really have a Cinderella team because they had a team with championship experience.

On the NCAA side of things, the San Beda Red Lions did not receive as much accolade after winning their title. That’s because San Beda was expected to win the NCAA title. The excitement would have been there if their rivals won the title instead. That’s because of the tremendous odds the San Beda Red Lions enjoyed over their NCAA Finals competitor.

A former financial supporter of the San Sebastian Stags, San Beda’s rivals in the NCAA Finals, conceded the championship even before the first NCAA Finals game was played. He blamed the number of imported players the Red Lions had recruited for the tremendous San Beda edge. Just as he predicted, San Beda won both games 1 and 2 with comfortable margins.

In our September 2 “How the UAAP and NCAA cage wars reflect our hypocrisy” column, this issue of importing foreign players was discussed. Both the UAAP and the NCAA would do well to seriously review this policy. We’ve heard that more teams, especially in the UAAP, are poised to recruit foreign players.

The UAAP and the NCAA should study the lukewarm reception of the recent San Beda victory. This could well be an indication of a potential loss of league following. The real fun in these interscholastic tournaments lies in seeing your home grown team beat the other home grown team.

The peak of NCAA popularity was during the days of Caloy Loyzaga followed by the era of Ed Ocampo, Kurt Bachmann et al. They had no imports then. The best years of the UAAP were also import-less tournaments. It is illusory for the UAAP and the NCAA to think that their most avid fans will empathize with these Afrikaners and other imports just because they don the school uniform.

There is also doubt if these imports help improve Philippine basketball. How can they help us improve when they only manage to take the place of a Filipino player? You cannot hope to develop our basketball players when what you’re doing is to deprive them of the opportunity to play. Playing foreign teams could be beneficial but not when we recruit a foreigner to displace a Filipino in the team roster.

Can an Atenean, La Sallian, Letranite et al really enjoy a UAAP tournament or an NCAA tournament when the outcome is now going to be decided by imported players? Do the Bedans really see the Bedan tradition in Sudan Daniels?

In the 1980s, Danding Cojuangco brought three American players into the national team. They were good and we won some competitions because of their inclusion. Do you know of Filipinos who remember those years with fondness — in the same way Filipino basketball aficionados still regale the young generation with tales of the great Caloy Loyzaga and Sonny Jaworski eras in Philippine basketball?

Can’t we Filipinos really compete if we follow the rules? How can we prosper as a nation if our people think like that?

oca
10-21-2010, 03:27 AM
^

Sa dami ng sinabi niya, siya pa mismo ang magpapasinungaling sa sinulat niya!

Esposo wrote in his last paragraph, "Can’t we Filipinos really compete if we follow the rules?".

Pinapayagan nga ng rules ang paglaro ng non-Pinoys sa collegiate leagues and even NT, all subject to conditions/ limitations, kaya nagaganap ang mga ito ngayon.

Ang punahin niya ang mga koponan na may non-Pinoy ay ang maging ipokrito.

If there is any ounce of sincerity in him, he should have simply called for the outright prohibition on non-Pinoys in college basketball and the NT.

danny
10-21-2010, 03:38 AM
How can we prosper as a nation when we are xenophobic in one thing while embracing and enjoying imported ideas, lifestyle and commodities at the same time?

Billly Boy, nasaan ka nung mga Anti-Gatt, anti-globalization, anti-trade lib na mga mobilization. Wala. Pero basketball ng San Beda, andyan ka na naman. Hinahanap ka namin dati, wala ka naman. :D :D :D :D :D

Lumpeng burgesya kasi yang si Billy. Sabog an paniniwala. Walang pilosppiya sa buhay kundi ang sariling tiyan.

Crass patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrels. :D

danny
10-21-2010, 03:54 AM
San Beda's victory was expected. We are so dominant that nobody was good enough to face us. The enemies surrendered even without a fight.

Now that's the best victory in the art of war. Kaya hindi makatulog si Billy...parang bangungot na dinaanan ang kanyang koponan. ;)

oca
10-21-2010, 04:04 AM
at random....

--- Esposo wrote FEU "had the big advantage of retaining the most number of veteran players compared to the rest of its competitors".

Ateneo had the bigger advantage of retaining the most number of veterans with championship experience.

--- Ginamit ang salitang "Afrikaners".

Alam niya ba na ang isang Afrikaner ay puti, pero ang pinupuna niyang import at dayo ay kulay negro!

--- Binanggit niya pareho ang championship series ng NCAA at UAAP. Binanggit niya si Sudan Daniel ng San Beda.

Bakit di niya binanggit si Pipo Nondou ng FEU?

MonL
10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
at random....

--- Esposo wrote FEU "had the big advantage of retaining the most number of veteran players compared to the rest of its competitors".

Ateneo had the bigger advantage of retaining the most number of veterans with championship experience.

--- Ginamit ang salitang "Afrikaners".

Alam niya ba na ang isang Afrikaner ay puti, pero ang pinupuna niyang import at dayo ay kulay negro!

--- Binanggit niya pareho ang championship series ng NCAA at UAAP. Binanggit niya si Sudan Daniel ng San Beda.

Bakit di niya binanggit si Pipo Nondou ng FEU?

Selective myopia and amnesia.

Proof positive that any fool can write a column.

Sam Miguel
10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
^^^ Like that Joe Buduan fellow on our home page... ;D

Sam Miguel
10-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Seriously though, and speaking of Joe, I recall it was he who mentioned in another thread that bringing "imports" to play college ball is allowed anyway, i.e. it is within the league rules, something also stated by Oca above.

Frankly I do not see why there is so much fuss about bringing in "imports". Shouldn't there be more of a fuss when some teams bring in overage players with doctored papers and documents? Or for that matter, those teams who doctor the high school papers of players to allow them to play in college? At least the "imports" have their documentation in order (at least in the case of Sudan Daniel).

danny
10-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Panahon na para hadlangan ang sabwatang Red Lions at Sudan Daniels!
Ipatalsik ang imperyalistang Sudan sa Siberia!
Tutulan pananabutahe ng San Beda sa BANYAGANG larong busluan!
Ilantad ang di makatarungang kampeonato ng mga ganid na taga-Mendiola!

Lansagin ang NCAA para hindi maghari ang San Beda!

:D :D :

danny
10-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Willaim Esposo is a reflection of how backward and schizophrenic the Pinoy mentality really is with regards to foreign influence.

If this is anti-foreign stance is a true reflection of his politics, I wonder why he was never vocal about the opening of the country through trade liberalization and deregulation especially during his time with Cory's regime. Like what I said before, he will always try to paint himself as a patriot put at the same time serve as propagandist and foot soldier for foreign corporate interest like Seiko and Ciba Geigy. He even established a company based in the US. What gives?

Really, this Esposo fixation might not really be about foreign players since he intentionally did not mention the other foreign players that are not from San Beda. What is this guys real intentions?

Wet dreams ba? Ewan ko.

Even from the standpoint of Political-Economy, this guy is just a loudmouth with no real and consistent philosophical underpinning. Wala lang. Daldal lang. Inconsistent pa.

Just like any other lupen , he's just delusional and opportunistic. Not mention fat and ugly. That's my opinion anyway. I bet his real problem is San Beda. ;D

LION
10-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Kayo naman.

Bobo at tanga lang talaga is Billy Esposo. Katulad ng mga .................................................s thugs.

mighty_lion
10-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Do the Bedans really see the Bedan tradition in Sudan Daniels?

YES! As far as I know Sudan is one of the more intelligent person and one of the better interviewees (if not the best) in Studio 23 coverage of NCAA. The way he speak, the way he think, the way he accounts for himself, and so on. Trademark of the training and schooling Sudan gets outside of St. Placid's gym.

Are Abueva, Bulawan and Macononcido the reflection of soon to be gentleman alumnus of San Sebastian like Mr. Esposo? Bwahaha! Bwahaha! Bwahaha!

oca
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Di naman marahil pareng LION.

Base sa panulat niya, palagay ko siya ay mamBOBOla at isang TANGAhanga lamang ng basketball team ng Alma Mater niya. ;D

Mang_Roger
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Kayo naman, di lang naka-inom ng maintenance si esposo nung sinulat niya yan. ;D Kaya bumubula ang bibig.

In a way, nakaka-awa rin yung matanda.

LION
10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Wala pa kasing gamot para sa sakit na inggit.

ENVY. One of the 7 deadly sins. ;D

Looking at his picture, he's also committing 2 more deadly sins - being a SLOTH and a GLUTTON. ;D

And since he's a glutton, that qualifies for GREED!

4 out of 7 ain't bad.

lekiboy
10-21-2010, 10:54 AM
My o My....This Esposo is plain stupid. MAMATAY ka sa INGGIT...Kups.

Regular Grey
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Si Esposo tagapag tanggol ni Bulawan, Abueva at Maconocido. Talagang bulag ka pa rin sa mga kalokohan ng mga players ng Sthugs?

MonL
10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Pseudo-nationalist bunk.

Recto he isn't.

Taga-Recto at isang rectum, a resounding YES! :D

Mang_Roger
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
A reliable source told me that esposo negro was lining up in a McDonald's restaurant to get his fifth quarter pounder that day and he was beaten by the chief of the little indians for the last piece. From then on, he vowed to criticize San Beda for the rest of his pathetic life.

mighty_lion
10-21-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.yellins.com/woolwichferry/tunnel.jpg

Mr Esposo has a tunnel vision. What he likes to see is what he will see without considering the whole picture. He collate arguments to support a preset conclusion in his mind without even considering whether those arguments do not contradict each other.

nicksy
10-21-2010, 02:30 PM
billy esposo? sino nga ulit yun? sabi nga ni sir Leki, painit lang ng ulo yun. no creds at all. crab mentality.

Do the Bedans really see the Bedan tradition in Sudan Daniels?

YES! As far as I know Sudan is one of the more intelligent person and one of the better interviewees (if not the best) in Studio 23 coverage of NCAA. The way he speak, the way he think, the way he accounts for himself, and so on. Trademark of the training and schooling Sudan gets outside of St. Placid's gym.

Are Abueva, Bulawan and Macononcido the reflection of soon to be gentleman alumnus of San Sebastian like Mr. Esposo? Bwahaha! Bwahaha! Bwahaha!

if i take a hit for a team , i'll take another 2 just for the team -Sudan Daniel

that is a true Bedan

nnahoj
10-21-2010, 11:32 PM
that's two hate articles for San Beda in one year. PA-THE-TIC

danny
10-22-2010, 03:26 AM
^^^

Three. Don't forget about his vison of an Evil San Beda making it out with Gloria Arroyo. Huh? San Beda pa. :D

This is not about foreign players. It's about San Beda.

razor
10-22-2010, 08:59 AM
On the NCAA side of things, the San Beda Red Lions did not receive as much accolade after winning their title. That’s because San Beda was expected to win the NCAA title. The excitement would have been there if their rivals won the title instead. That’s because of the tremendous odds the San Beda Red Lions enjoyed over their NCAA Finals competitor.

Right. Not much "accolade" and "excitement" despite the Red Lions' "historic 18-0 sweep" since they have "imports" and were expected to win it all. No interviews by CNN, BBC and other major news network and not even a feature from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc. :P

Walang pumansin sa San Beda except that early this week TV-5 invited the Red Lions to guest and tape for a show; ANC's Hardball interviewed them live last Wednesday; they guested in a variety show at ABS CBN yesterday; and this morning the whole team together with the Red Corps made an appearance in GMA's Unang Hirit. Panis. Not much accolade and excitement befitting a Champion team. ;D

lekiboy
10-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Esposo = anti social BS...aka BITTER- nyahahaha

LION
10-22-2010, 09:12 AM

Right. Not much "accolade" and "excitement" despite the Red Lions' "historic 18-0 sweep" since they have "imports" and were expected to win it all. No interviews by CNN, BBC and other major news network and not even a feature from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc. :P

Walang pumansin sa San Beda except that early this week TV-5 invited the Red Lions to guest and tape for a show; ANC's Hardball interviewed them live last Wednesday; they guested in a variety show at ABS CBN yesterday; and this morning the whole team together with the Red Corps made an appearance in GMA's Unang Hirit. Panis. Not much accolade and excitement befitting a Champion team. ;D

Not to mention the many write-ups about the 18-0 historic feat of the Red Lions.

Gatorade came out with a half-page ad for the Red Lions

I'm not even counting the 2-page ad Smart came out with for the Red Lions/Cubs and the Blue Eagles/Eaglets because Smart is MVP's company.

Adidas is reportedly coming out with a special commemorative shirts celebrating our 18-0 record.

Plus an audience with P-Noy. Parang NBA team ah.

And we are just a small college in Mendiola.

SARAP MAGING BEDISTA!!!

MonL
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
^ Not much, if counted individually.

But take a little here, a little there, and soon enough you have one big pile. ;D

Sweet. :D

Ironically, sweeter still is seeng so much bitterness from poor losers who got their just desserts. :D

franz_inwurdz
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Sa totoo lang, awa ang nararamdaman ko. :'( :'( :'( awa. Ilang taon na nga sya??? kawawa naman.

danny
10-22-2010, 11:53 AM

But take a little here, a little there, and soon enough you have one big pile. ;D

Ironically, sweeter still is seeng so much bitterness from poor losers who got their just desserts. :D

The losers include those non-NCAA peeps who continue to dismiss this small school from Mendiola with all the lumpen verbal attacks they can muster from the Book of Hate...kung mayroon mang ganung libro. ;D

I wonder why never encounter them here when we talk about serious stuff? ::)

nnahoj
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
^^^

Three. Don't forget about his vison of an Evil San Beda making it out with Gloria Arroyo. Huh? San Beda pa. :D

This is not about foreign players. It's about San Beda.

was it this year? naagawan siguro ng syota ng bedista dati.

nnahoj
10-22-2010, 02:17 PM

The losers include those non-NCAA peeps who continue to dismiss this small school from Mendiola with all the lumpen verbal attacks they can muster from the Book of Hate...kung mayroon mang ganung libro. ;D

I wonder why never encounter them here when we talk about serious stuff? ::)

si chellotte ata gusto nilang kausap. ;D

danny
10-23-2010, 02:48 AM
I guess they do love dealing with chellote...in PEX. :D

I hope I can start this project of mine. I intend to compile a list of foreign corporate interest this propagandist (his career in media and PR is all about propaganda) worked for. Ohhhh.. I would love to see his portfolio of foreign interest fooling the local consumers.

PM me people for clues.. ;D

This issue is now settled.

mangtsito
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
(Not really about foreigners but on race and ethnicity.)

There's an interesting discussion in the first few pages of the MMTLBA Aspirants Division thread regarding what is viewed as a negative practice of recruiting non-Chinese (i.e. Regular Filipinos) in the Tiong Lian.

On one hand, it might seem racist the way some people in that thread want to allow as few Filipinos as possible in their league.

On the other hand, if the team lineups were mostly composed of non-Chinese, it would sort of defeat the purpose of establishing a league specifically for Chinese schools.

Interesting how that issue would develop in that league.

mangtsito
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Has anybody read Tommy Manotoc's latest column in PDI? Same arguments as Esposo. Pweh.

danny
08-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Pinay DHs are seeking Permanent Resident status in Hong Kong. Abusado naman ata yan? Nakapagtrabaho na nga at kumita, gusto pang maging Hong Kongers. Kulay na lang hindi na uubra...back to you racist Pinoys in Manila. What say you, Tommy boy?

maroonmartian
09-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Yung racism ng mga "pure" Pinoys (born and raised here from Filipino parents) ay di na lang sa basketball. Mayroon din naman sa football, women's basketball etc. Pero kung titignan mo sa batas natin, EQUAL PROTECTION ang binibigay. Kahit mommy o daddy ay foreigner basta yung isa Filipino, NATURAL BORN FILIPINO ka with all the privileges of someone born from Filipino parents. And besides, Filipino blood is a mix of Malay, Chinese, American, European and other blood. Yung mga pseudo-nationalist diyan more of xenophibic, parochial minded Pinoys.

As for Foreigners studying here, we should welcome them. OK lang yung residency to stop the abuses. Pero in this GLOBALIZING WORLD, being indifferent to other cultures could have a negative effect on us. Wonder why foreign investors are reluctant to invest here?

thadzonline
10-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Soon UST is recruiting a 6'10 Nigerian and a 6'5 Argentine. Here's the argentine's video highlight:

http://philippinebasketballreview.blogspot.com/2011/10/19-year-old-argentine-seeks-philippine.html"]6'5" (http://"Philippine basketball[/b] scholarship

LION
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Soon UST is recruiting a 6'10 Nigerian and a 6'5 Argentine. Here's the argentine's video highlight:

http://philippinebasketballreview.blogspot.com/2011/10/19-year-old-argentine-seeks-philippine.html"]6'5" (http://"Philippine basketball[/b] scholarship

Puro na lang kayo import. Mercenaries. Nade deprive pa tuloy ng spot and mga pinoy sa team at sa scholarship. Kaya tuloy sinasaktan ng mga pinoy players yang mga imports e.

UST asa sa import. ;D Dalawa pa. ;D Tatlo na pala kasi nandiyan na si Karim.

UST super asa sa import. ;D

bchoter
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
^ Bwahahaha .... wala na akong masabi.... inom naman tayo ng weekend hehehe

LION
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Bwahahaha. Welcome to the club pare ko.

Pwede ako pag weekend.

Dapat mag bonding na yang nigerian ninyo at si Adeogun para matuto agad.

bchoter
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
We are fortunate to have well-meaning friends (itago natin sa pangalang Thadz) recommend these guys to us. It is the same way Karim fell on our laps. Technology is really bridging the gap.

The challenge now is how to vet these imports. Aside from their scholastic records and birth certificate, a school should check if he's played in the pros or not. I heard one of the imports in residency has played in pro league in one of the Baltic states. Will any of the schools exert effort to check him out?

animo
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
We are fortunate to have well-meaning friends (itago natin sa pangalang Thadz) recommend these guys to us. It is the same way Karim fell on our laps. Technology is really bridging the gap.

pakilala mo naman sa amin si Thadz. para ma ambunan naman kami sa mendiola ;D

bchoter
10-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Nasa inyo na si Aedogun ano pang hahanapin niyo?

thadzonline
10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Adeogun and Babayemi of UPHR I heard are cousins daw..totoo ba?

bchoter
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
^ Confirmed by Babayemi himself bro

LION
10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
So, sino sa mga NCAA schools ang di papanig sa panukala ni Tamerlane Lana na i-ban ang foreign players?

This is how I think the voting will go.

1. San Beda - no
2. Arellano - no (they have Okpe at this time)
3. UPHD - no (they have a foreign recruit)
4. EAC - no (they have foreign recruits as well?)
5. MIT = 50/50
6. Letran - yes
7. CSB - yes (although they tried to recruit Mbe 2 years ago and Andrew Harris this year)
8. Baste - yes.
9. Lyceum - 50/50
10. JRU - 50/50 (might be a yes but that would be tantamount to admitting that Njei and Etame were mercenaries)

No - 4
Yes - 3 but potentially 4 (JRU)
Not sure - 3

Worst case scenario is 4 no and 6 yes.

thadzonline
10-19-2011, 03:20 PM

Akala ko nga mapupunta na sa inyo si Babayemi eh, tapos biglang, "Hey Thadz, I'm in the Philippines" LOL

thadzonline
10-19-2011, 03:23 PM
So, sino sa mga NCAA schools ang di papanig sa panukala ni Tamerlane Lana na i-ban ang foreign players?

1. San Beda - no
5. MIT = 50/50
6. Letran - yes
7. CSB - yes (although they tried to recruit Mbe 2 years ago and Andrew Harris this year)
8. Baste - yes.
9. Lyceum - 50/50
10. JRU - 50/50 (might be a yes but that would be tantamount to admitting that Njei and Etame were mercenaries)

No - 4
Not sure - 3

There's an interesting discussion over at interbasket about how it could elevate the locals' game if the PBA allowed imports with no height limits

thadzonline
10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Which school is Akpa Thankgod enrolled at now? I remember this kid was also friends with Babayemi pero nag sidetrip pa ito sa Germany before coming to PHI. Initially considered STI before

razor
10-19-2011, 03:33 PM

1. San Beda - no
5. MIT = 50/50
6. Letran - yes
8. Baste - yes.
9. Lyceum - 50/50

No - 4
Not sure - 3

I think MIT took in that african-american guard from TIP; so that's plus one 'no' vote.

bchoter
10-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Akala ko nga mapupunta na sa inyo si Babayemi eh, tapos biglang, "Hey Thadz, I'm in the Philippines" LOL
Nag cha-cha bro. Urong-sulong until he decided to stay dahil sa sense of utang na loob even if he is a bit mistreated

animo
10-19-2011, 08:22 PM

1. San Beda - no
5. MIT = 50/50
6. Letran - yes
8. Baste - yes.
9. Lyceum - 50/50

No - 4
Not sure - 3

afaik, lyceum cannot vote yet. probationary status.

bhinov
10-19-2011, 10:29 PM

1. San Beda - no
5. MIT = 50/50
6. Letran - yes
8. Baste - yes.
9. Lyceum - 50/50

No - 4
Not sure - 3

I think MIT took in that african-american guard from TIP; so that's plus one 'no' vote.

Walang Cris Porter sa Mapua ngayon afaik.

Joescoundrel
10-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Kapag nag-ban ng import coaches patay ang Ateneo, pero hindi din, mas magaling pa mag-Tagalog kesa sa karamihan ng estudyante ngayon ang import coach namin... :-X

animo
10-20-2011, 05:55 PM
wala namang problem sa uaap. dun lang sa mga talangkang nasa mancom

genom222
10-21-2011, 03:14 AM

1. San Beda - no
5. MIT = 50/50
6. Letran - yes
8. Baste - yes.
9. Lyceum - 50/50

No - 4
Not sure - 3

sIr LION,

Does it really follow that if a certain school has foreign players, NO na kagad sila for the new rule? I look at schools like Baste that has a foreign player pero malamang YES sagot jan. I think it goes beyond having a foreign athlete or not, kasama na jan yung position ng school in terms of getting foreign students overall. Baka kasi yung ibang schools di sanay magkaroon ng foreign students kaya ganun position nila sa issue.

Just my two cents.

LION
10-21-2011, 09:27 AM
^ It does not really follow that a school with a foreign player will vote NO. But the premise made by Fr. Lana for banning the foreign players will greatly influence the vote of the school with current foreign players.

The premise is that foreign players are mercenaries, among other things. If this premise will be taken as true by the schools with foreign players such as Arellano, SBC, EAC and UPHD, then they will vote YES.

It's all about probability. Not a foregone conclusion.

Btw, Baste's Grilli is a fil-foreigner.

Btwa, Baste dominated women's volleyball in recent years mainly due to their Thai imports, yet they pontificate on the evils of having foreign players in basketball. ;D

danny
10-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Racist pigs.

Our fellow Pinoys are fighting for equal rights around the globe. Back home, many dishonorable educational institutions are promoting racism and discrimination.

What are they teaching in these schools? Racism 101 for the lumpen-class?

:P

Joescoundrel
10-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Cebu-based players rue 'racist' motion to ban foreigners from college leagues

by Jonas Panerio

HOUSE Deputy Speaker Mikee Romero's proposed bill banning foreign student-athletes from all college leagues in the country has sent ripples that were felt all the way in Cebu.

Currently, six of seven schools competing in the college level of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (CESAFI) basketball tournament feature a foreign player, either from Africa or the US.

They're all understandably frustrated.

Lass Coulibally, a 6-foot-10 forward from the Ivory Coast who plays for the University of the Visayas, said that if this resolution moves forward, Philippine basketball would become “weak.”

“If they make this decision, Philippine basketball would be weak and Filipinos would not be able to compete well abroad, like for example, in the Fiba World Cup,” said Coulibally. “Even Americans need foreigners to play basketball in spite being a world power in basketball.”

Coulibally even went as far as to say that the resolution is discriminatory.

“So they bring in African players because it gives them an advantage to win but all of sudden, the African players are the problem because they're taking away a position from a local? So the solution is to ban all foreign players if you don’t have Filipino blood? Sounds kind of racist to me.”

Through the years, the Cesafi has been a haven for several outstanding foreign student-athletes, the most notable of which was Ben Mbala who led Southwestern University-Phinma to the title in 2012 before moving on to La Salle which he led to the UAAP crown in 2016. He also bagged the UAAP MVP awards in 2016 and 2017.

University of Southern Philippines’ hotshot wingman, Sameen Swint, said having a foreign player is beneficial to a team’s improvement.

“I feel upset but there’s not much we can do. I feel like one import player doesn’t take away from the team because one import can’t win it by himself. It takes a team to come together. Imports can help the teams here as far as helping teammates improve skills and knowledge of the game. But one player doesn’t make a team,” said the left-handed American who has led the Panthers’ resurgence in the Cesafi.

USPF’s foreign player last season, Rich Managor, said this resolution is a “bad move.”

“It’s really a bad move to ban imports. Apart from the excitement they bring to the fans which in turn sells tickets, they bring competition to the game, they raise the standard to the world level,” said the big man from Nigeria, whose younger brother, Sommy, is playing for the University of San Carlos.

More than basketball, however, Managor said this move would deny other foreigners the chance to get a good, life-changing education.

“There is more to this game than basketball. You are changing a life that would change a generation with the education that a school provides for one import.”

The University of Cebu’s Tosh Sesay, who is from Sierra Leone, is hopeful that he and other foreigners like him would still be given the opportunity to study and play here in the Philippines.

“I hope they would still give us the opportunity because we really appreciate it here,” said the agile 6-foot-10 forward.

Joescoundrel
10-02-2019, 09:25 AM
The genius who started it all, from Spin ...

Mikee Romero wants bill banning foreign players in college leagues

HOUSE Deputy Speaker Mikee Romero (1 Pacman Partylist) wants a bill that will prohibit schools in various collegiate leagues from recruiting foreign players, saying the practice denies homegrown players the opportunity to develop their skills.

The practice of tapping foreign student-athletes, according to Romero, has become the norm in various college leagues beginning with the UAAP and NCAA nowadays which he said 'is a total disregard to the true meaning of fair play.'

In House Resolution No. 388, Romero said: “I am urging the proper committee of the House of Representatives in aid of legislation to stop and prohibit all collegiate leagues from recruiting, acquiring and using non-Filipinos as players because in effect, it stops the growth and shortchanges the development of various sports programs in the Philippines.”

By allowing foreigners to play, Romero said schools that have vast resources gained 'undue advantages.' In doing so, 'it destroys the beautiful game of basketball," the owner of PBA ballclub NorthPort added.

“Lest I’ll be accused of being some kind of a killjoy, I am doing this for the good of Philippine basketball. The crushing defeats we suffered in the recent Fiba World Cup has forced me to make this resolution,” said Romero who was the patron of the Philippine basketball team that won the gold medal in the 2007 Southeast Asian Games in Ratchasima, Thailand.

“I’m not targeting any school here. All I want is to give our homegrown players the chance to improve and compete to the best of their ability,” said Romero. “Acquiring foreigners is not only counter-productive but it is also more expensive to maintain a team.”

Romero also noticed that some foreign players – mostly Africans – have moved from one league to another, thus belying the notion that they came to the country to study.

“Hindi tayo nagdadamot, pero ang masakit nito ang kapwa nating Filipino ang nagiging biktima rito,” said Romero, who played for La Salle during his college days.

The lawmaker who owns NorthPort in the PBA, said various leagues should find ways or create measures to prevent the proliferation of this “malpractice for the sake of homegrown athletes.

Romero, however, is happy to note that this season will be the last time “imports” will be allowed ro play in the oldest collegiate league – the NCAA.

“These foreign players have taken away playing time from Filipino players, so kung wala ng foreign players they have to step up and deliver,” said an NCAA official.

Letran and San Sebastian are the only schools in the NCAA which don’t have the so-called imports while all teams from UAAP have their own “reinforcements."

PBA great Allan Caidic said that because of their height advantages, foreign players have now dominated the individual honors given each year to outstanding players.

“Iyan ang hindi maganda kapag may foreign players, they can dominate the awards given each year,’ said Caidic, who masterminded the last two championships of University of the East in 1984 and 1985.

Joescoundrel
10-02-2019, 09:44 AM
^ Uulit-ulitin ko lang.

This is a racist proposal, and it does indeed target certain schools, particularly the one now running roughshod over the UAAP.

If you really want to develop the skill and talent of our Pinoy players, do you think they should face weaker competition, or stronger competition? Now who do you think provides stronger competition, foreigners or kapwa Pinoys?

Nilamon na nga tayo sa FIBA, as noted by Romero himself, and yet ang gusto niya, ang mga Pinoy, masanay lang na kapwa Pinoy mga kakalabanin sa college. Pagtungtong sa PBA ng isang Pinoy na wala na alam kundi kalabanin ang kapwa Pinoy, ano gagawin niya sa PBA na two out of the three conferences may import? Ayaw ni Romero mabulok ang mga Pinoy na college players? Hindi kaya ang bulok, bulok talaga? In the same way na ang magaling, magaling talaga? Si Roi Sumang dati natitirahan mga gaya nina Rey Parks at Chris Newsome (granted hindi sila full-blooded imports, but still, may lahi at kakaiba lakas at galing kompara sa pure Pinoys, lalo nung time na 'yan...) at nagagawa ni Roi 'yon kasi likas na magaling siya.

Tignan natin mga gaya nina Jervy Cruz, Ken Bono, Nonoy Baclao, at Rabeh Al-Hussaini, three of whom are UAAP MVP's, likas na magaling nung nasa UAAP, Baclao even becoming a Number 1 pick nung draft nila, getting picked ahead of Al-Hussaini, his more decorated Ateneo teammate. Ano ba nangyari sa kanila sa PBA? Meron ba ni isa sa kanila na mula nung dumating sa PBA nilamon lahat ng mga nakalaban nila na kapwa nila Pinoy? Kapwa nga nila Pinoy hindi nila kayanin, import pa kaya? Tapos sasabihin nitong magaling na Romero, without imports, our Pinoy college players will be better developed. Wow ha...

Nakapagtataka pa, nung panahon ni Benoit Mbala sa Lasalle ni Romero, ni hindi sumagi sa isipan niya ang ganitong bagay. Ngayong may Angelo Kouame ang Ateneo saka niya naisipan na tila masama yata na may imports sa college. Hinbdi naman masyadong halata na gago lang ang dating ano?

Tsaka, Don Mikee, hindi ba may maglalaro na kayong import next season diyan sa Lasalle, 'yung Hamadou Laminou nga ba 'yon? Hindi kaya magalit sa iyo mga kapwa mo Lasalista niyan, may import na nga kayong kaya gumawa sinabit mo pa?

Sabagay, may Baltazar, Bates, at parating na Philips nga pala kayo, lamang na lamang kayo sa malalaki, kaya tama lang naman na alisin mo malaki ng karibal niyo na Ateneo, otherwise mukhang malabo pa din kayo mag-kampeon ano?

So basically all of your arguments for championing this proposal are all pregnant with spurious motives.

I have a better proposal: DISSOLVE THE F---ING PARTY LIST SYSTEM!

Joescoundrel
10-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Aba, Don Mikee, akala ko ba bilib ka sa Pinoy?

Huwag na tayo mag-naturalize, hintayin na lang natin itong grupo nina Thirdy, Kobe, Ricci, Kai, Juan, Ebona, Baltazar, Muyang, Ambohot na maging mga mama na, kaya na natin 'yang Serbia at Italy at Tunisia na 'yan!

Mikee Romero wants pool of Gilas naturalized players to take over from Blatche

by Gerry Ramos

HOUSE Deputy Speaker Mikee Romero stressed the need to have not just one but a pool of naturalized players that Gilas Pilipinas can tap for various major international tournaments.

Romero said the pool of naturalized players can be rotated depending on the need in Gilas campaings in the Fiba World Cup, the World Cup qualifiers, Asian Games, FIBA Asia Championship, and even the Southeast Asian Games.

As of now, Gilas has Andray Blatche listed as the team’s naturalized player, although Christian Standhardinger, Stanley Pringle, and Jordan Clarkson fall under the same status in the eyes of FIBA despite having Filipino lineage.

Romero, who owns the NorthPort franchise in the PBA and a former chairman of the league board, made the proposal in a special appearance in the weekly Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum at the Amelie Hotel-Manila.

“For me kailangan mag-recruit tayo ng at least lima,” said the 1-Pacman party list representative on Tuesday. “For me, a pool of five and then i-rotate mo kung ano yung kailangan natin.”

Romero, who’s also part of the Philippine polo team competing in the 30th SEA Games which the country is hosting later this year, has a pending bill in Congress that seeks to naturalize Barangay Ginebra resident import Justine Brownlee.

“Of course I filed the Justine Brownlee bill naturalizing him. Pero yung nakita natin kay (coach) Yeng Guiao na Gilas Pilipinas ay kailangan talaga natin ng malalaki (na players),” said Romero in the session presented by San Miguel Corp., Braska Restaurant, Amelie Hotel, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR).

“Halimbawa ang kalaban mo mabilis, kailangan mo ng isang Justine Brownlee. Kung kailangan mo naman ng malalaki, e di ilaban mo 'yung malalaki. We really need to be flexible.”

Romero is grateful for all the work done for the national team by Blatche and the other naturalized players before him. But based on the way the former NBA player performed in the last World Cup, the lawmaker believes it’s time for others to take over his place.

“Itong si Andray Blatche for me, kumbaga napag-lumaan na natin. And of course, yung isa si (Marcus) Douthit. So for me the recruitment has to be very, very good,” said Romero.

Now it’s all up to the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) to chart the country’s basketball program, in which he hopes his proposal would be considered.

“May pera naman siguro ang SBP,” he said of the federation headed by Manny V. Pangilinan Sports Foundation president Al S. Panlilio.

Joescoundrel
10-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Paaresto mo na lintek na mga import na'to, Don Mikee ...

Soulemane Chabi Yo holds slim lead over Ange Kouame in UAAP MVP race

by Randolph B. Leongson

UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas forward Chabi Yo leads the MVP race after the first round of the UAAP Season 82 men's basketball competitions.

The Beninese high-flyer amassed 82.71 statistical points (SPs) after averaging a league-best 19.9 points and 15.3 rebounds, to go with 1.6 assists and 0.9 blocks to lead the Growling Tigers to a 4-3 record.

Ateneo slotman Ange Kouame is a close second with 81.43 SPs after averaging 14.0 points, 13.1 boards, a league-high 4.9 blocks, 1.1 assists, and 1.3 steals for the undefeated Blue Eagles.

Last year's MVP Bright Akhuetie third at 69 SPs after collecting 14.6 points, 12.0 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.7 steals, and 0.9 rejections, leading University of the Philippines to a 5-2 card.

The Fighting Maroons' highly touted forward Kobe Paras sits at fourth with 65.2 SPs for his 18.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.4 blocks and 1.0 steal, as UE's Senegalese reinforcement Alex Diakhite rounds out the top five with 64.83 SPs for racking up 15.2 points, 12.7 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.7 blocks, and 0.8 steals.

Completing the top 10 are UE's Rey Suerte (62.29 SPs), the La Salle duo of Jamie Malonzo (61.5 SPs) and Justine Baltazar (58.57 SPs), Ateneo's Thirdy Ravena (57.71 SPs), and Adamson's Congolese big man Lenda Douanga (56.86 SPs).

Meanwhile, UST guard Mark Nonoy emerged as the top contender for the Rookie of the Year race with his 38.29 SPs, after gathering 9.6 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 0.7 steals.