PDA

View Full Version : Sports Torch- " A Page from Yesteryear"

Toto Battung
03-11-2009, 03:05 AM
How about putting old clippings from MICAA, PBA, NCAA, UAAP, Philippine National Basketball teams etc. so our younger generation fans will get to know the history of our basketball teams. I'm sure a lot of our basketball fans have some historic clippings stored somewhere. It would be a blast to read old articles from years past. Pictures too if there are available. Hope this generates interest. I'll look for old articles in my dusty library and share them soon. Thanks.

Toto Battung
03-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Yutivo five overwhelms Yco,79-64
Meralco downs Mariwasa
March 3,1969 The Manila Times

If you're wondering just how the country's top four quintets are ranked this season, forget it. Meralco, which was ranked no. 5 (unofficialy) last year dealt the 1968 MICAA champion Mariwasa its second setback in three days by throttling the Hondas, 75-70, in the Panamin benefit cage series at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum last night. In another match, Yutivo, no. 4 last year, thrashed national champion Yco, 79-64. It was also the second defeat for the Painters who were ranked no. 2 last season. In the openers last Friday, Yutivo humbled Mariwasa, 84-75 while Meralco overpowered Yco, 88-78.
(Yutivo's big guns are Ernesto Morales, Clemente Bargas, Rogelio Melencio and Jesus Dungo. Meralco's top players were Lloyd Higgins, Ric Cabrera, Ramon Lucindo and Joseph Wilson. The Hondas, were led by Narciso Bernardo and Joaquin Rojas, Jr.)
Official individual scores of the games which are usually compiled for sports writers after the games were not available.

gameface_one
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Good idea Toto. I'll just move this thread to the Hoopedia section and if it generates more interest and posts, we can upgrade the same into a new sub-forum.

Thanks.

Toto Battung
03-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Letran Wins; NU Rips Ateneo
The Maniila Times

Letran joined unbeaten La Salle into the tournament proper of the Greater Manila National Inter-Collegiate basketball tournament eliminations yesterday with a 75-67 victory over UP and National University knocked Ateneo Blue Eagles, 100-89 at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. It was the Knights second win in three games while the La Salle Green Archers who upset the NCAA champions on opening day, rolled to their third straight triump at the expense of Adamson, 101-83.
Completing the four-team cast in the other division who now go into another round-robin were Santo Tomas, University of Manila and Philippine College of Business abd Sciences. Reynaldo Sigua knocked in 41 points as the Bulldogs dealt the Blue Eagles their second loss. Nu led only by two at the half, 49-47 but steadily pulled away in the second period.
The UM Rams made it after the Glowing Goldies trampled Feati Hi-Flyers, 86-59. The Rams earlier whipped Araneta, 78-73.
William Adornado, the Crispa-Floro ace in the UST uniform in an off-season stint, drilled in 25 points.
Scorers:Letran-R. Pineda 24, M.Pineda-16,Fermin 12, Regullano 10 Marcela 9 Salazar 2
UP- Acuna 24, Guerrero 22, Tolentino 7,Allado 4, Bernardino 2
La salle= Lin 15,Bilbao 14,Guevarra 11, Gonzales 8, Tomas 8, Trillo 8 Rarallo 8,Sola 6, Mirasol 4, Malixi 2
Ateneo- Morales 26, Panlilio 20 Henares 15, Palou 12, Johnson 4, Wong 4, Merriam 2 Cruz 2

Toto Battung
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Tick...Tick...Tick.... Time is Gold

The 1954 Asian Games championship game between the Philippines and China will go down in basketball history as the " The Longest Freeze". In that fateful game, the Philippine bench ordered a stall that took the game out of the Chinese squad. We could say that the basketball rule makers initiated the 25-second clock because of that freeze.
The Philippines took the gold and more importantly the "game story" which never faded because of the unorthodox way of using the clock.
The 1954 Asian games players:
Nap Flores, Carlos Loyzaga,Lauro Mumar,Nano Tolentino,Paeng Hechanova, R. Manulat,Tony Genato. F. Bautista, and Bayani Amador.
Game Results:
Philippines-82 Singapore-63
Philippines-105 Cambodia-41
Philippines-84 South Korea-45
Philippines-68 Japan-40
Philippines-76 South Korea-52
Philippines-34 China-27 (Score by halves 26-22, 8-5 ) China scored only 5 in the second half because of the freeze

Toto Battung
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM
The beauty of Philippine basketball is in the great rivalries, so part of the Sports Torch A Page from Yesteryear should be the: "Unrivaled Rivalries: Of Philippine Basketball" Three rivalries come to mind. MICAA: Ysmael Steel vs. Yco ; PBA: Crispa vs. Toyota and college basketball; Ateneo vs. La Salle. So old articles from their games is a must in this thread. Please feel free to add articles from their "Civil War" games of old. Toto
Here's one from my collections.

Ateneo leaves La Salle wet, soggy
Manila Bulletin
Jean Malanum
Sunday, August 1, 1999

Underdog Ateneo de Manila left title-favorite La Salle wet in the rain yesterday with a stunning 60-57 conquest of the Green Archers as the two schools' fabled rivalry reached another milestone before a packed, frenzied crowd at the Cuneta Astrodome.
The Blue Eagles of Loyola, who make no bones of accepting defeat by other teams except La Salle, raised the level of their game to match the occasion as they rallied from an early deficit and then tightened up their defense to turn back the bedeviled Archers.
It was the fourth win for Ateneo in six games but it proved to be the sweetest as the two teams ended up tied for third behind UST and FEU in the UAAP basketball championships. Ateneo's victory overshadowed UST's gritty march to the top as the Tigers picked up their sixth straight victory against no loss with an 80-66 win over UP. The Tamaraws also joined the day's winners by thumping the hapless NU Bulldogs.
"Both teams played well but the breaks went our way in the last four minutes," said Ateneo coach Jose Lipa, giving his first post-game interview since the start of the season. " I'm glad my players defended well, they kept their focus until the end. They deserved to win," he said. With a frontline hardly the caliber of La Salles's vaunted trio of Don Allado, Ren-Ren Ritualo and Dino Aldeguer, Ateneo could only hope for the best and to live up to tradition of playing its best against its arch rival. Ateneo found its hero in Richard Alvarez who scored five of his eight points in the last four-minutes giving the Eagles an inspiring 58-54 advantage. Wesley Gonzales, who topped all scorers with 20, split his charities for 59-54, 12 seconds left before Aldeguer responded with a triple that raised a collective roar from the La Salle followers.
But it was too late. Rainer Sison put the final nail on La Salle with another charity for the final count. La Salle's gunners shot poorly and combined for just 18 points. Allado counted to lead the Archers finished with 6 points, Ritualo had 7 Aldeguer had 5. The Archers looked robust and confident in the early going. They took the half,34-29, and led by 8 ,48-40, with 11 minutes left. But a rattling 11-2 run by Ateneo turned the tide completely and La Salle never recovered.
Toto Battung

Emon74
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for this thread toto, I was thinking if anyone could put up something like this for me to posts stories from the collegiate hoopla from the 1960s to the 1990s.

Toto Battung
03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Emon74...thanks for posting your college articles. It's nice to read old basketball stories from years gone by. It's part of our great history as the world's number one basketball lovers. Hope you continue to add for all our GameFace members. During down time I continue to search for old articles so I can share with all. Thanks once again.

Emon74
03-21-2009, 01:39 PM
1989 SMB National Intercollegiate Basketball Championships

It's the NCAA Champs over UAAP Counterparts!
February 1989

Those who believe that the UAAP is the most dominant collegiate league in the country better think twice. In the battle of collegiate champions, San Sebastian College nipped Ateneo de Manila University, 93-91 at the ULTRA, to bag the San Miguel Beer national intercollegiate championships.
The victory marked Francis Rodriguez's sixth title in five years of coaching. he has won three NCAA titles - in 1985, 1986 (Junior Team) and 1988, one MMBL diadem and two national intercollegiate championships. he last won this tournament in 1987.
And not only that. San Sebastian extended its win skein to 24 games this season. The Stags have swept every tournament they have entered into this school year.
SSC topped Group B in the Elimination Round by downing University of Baguio (89-64) Ramon Magsaysay Memorial College of Davao (116-76) De La Salle University (95-91) Colegio de San Agustin of Bacolod (92-82) and University of Santo Tomas (94-75).
On the other hand, Ateneo won over Misamis Institute of Technology (by default) Adamson University (74-56) Perpetual Help College of Rizal (85-61) and Southwestern University of Cebu (62-60) to likewise end its elimination round unscathed.
That paved the way for the riotous Ateneo-La Salle encounter in the semifinals. the Blue Eagles won that fight-marred contest, 84-72. Ateneo rookie Billy Del Rosario unknowingly started it all when he extended a hand to Rafael Dinglasan as the latter left the court on a fifth foul off Albert Mendoza. Dinglasan acknowledged the handshake but mistook del Rosario's remark of "better luck next time" as an insult and slapped the Ateneo player. this sent the archers after del Rosario.
Pandemonium then broke loose with chairs flying and fans joining in the melee. after order was restored, Del Rosario had a three-inch cut over his right eyebrow.
San Sebestian had a much easier time getting into the Finals as the Stags found little opposition in the SWU cobras. The NCAA reigning titlists routed the visitors, 94-72.

Toto Battung
03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
CRISPA nips TOYOTA in thriller, 122-121
by: Ernesto Gonzales
Date: ?

Crispa nipped arch rival Toyota with a free throw by Fortunato Co with three seconds left, 122-121,last night, but the real action came after the game in a full-blown rumble by players of both squads at the Araneta Coliseum. It was the start of the All-Filipino Conference of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) and though the Redmanizers and the Tamaraws comported themselves throughout the ferocious match, organizers found themselves helpless as players suddenly exhanged blows as they headed for their respective dugouts.
There were different versions as to who started the free-for-all and Commissioner Leo Prieto said he would know by lunchtime today what to do after receiving eyewitness reports early this morning. Thrown into the background by the unexpected post-game fight was Presto's 122-111 rout of Royal Tru-Orange as Johnny Revilla celebrated his new role as team captain of the Flavorites by firing 34 points.
Co's charity was a result of a technical foul slapped by referee Estafanio Bernos on Toyota coach Dante Silverio with the score tied 121-all. Bernos claimed that Silverio cussed him after he advised Silverio that he had only four players on the floor following Fortunato Acuna's acquisition of his sixth foul by charging off Freddie Hubalde. Hunalde, who earlier missed breaking the 121-all deadlock by muffing two free throws off Ramon Fernandez's sixth foul, also bungled his two charities after Co's winning free throw, to set the final count.
Fernandez wound up with a mouse under his right eye, while Rodolfo Segura had a lump on his forehead as a result of the melee. Crispa's Rodolfo Soriano also had a lump over his right eyebrow.
Reynaldo Franco of Crispa said it was Robert Jaworski who started the fight by punching him as the players walked to their respective dressing rooms. The Toyota skipper,however,denied this. "When I came in the trouble had statrted. Eveyone was rushing at me and I had to defend myself," Jaworski said. "Hindi maaring manggaling sa amin and away, sapagkat kami ang nanalo," said Crispa coach Virgilio Dalupan. Told that Crispa was blaming his boys for starting the five-minute fisticuffs Silverio said, "If that's what they're claiming, we will also claim that they started it."
Games and Amusements Board Chairman Luis Tabuena said he would go after the guilty ones, although he pointed out that the fight erupted after the game had ended and with the players out of the playing arena.

Note: There was a time I believe (my memory is foggy on this one) that both teams were brought to Camp Crame overnight because of their fights. Can any GameFace member have any recollections on this one? Emon74? Toto Battung

Toto Battung
03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Ysmael Steel Wins MICAA Crown

Manila, May 15,1962
The Ysmael Steel Admirals behind a steady defense throughout the game took a precious 69-62 victory over the Yco Painters, to retain the MICAA basketball crown at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The game played before 10,000 fans started with the Painters at their best with a line up of Carlos Loyzaga, Edgardo Ocampo, Jose Laganson, Carlos Badion and Joe Braun.
The Painters took an early 9-6 lead but a strong defense, consistent outside shooting and heads up play in the clutch gave the Admirals their third MICAA championship.
The heroes for the champs were Kurt Bachmann, Manuel Jocson, Eduardo Pacheco, Eddie Cruz, Narciso Bernardo and coach Enrique Crame.
Leading scorers were Bernardo and Pacheco with 14 points apiece. Cruz and Jocson added 13 and 12 points respectively.

Heacocks Posts Fifth Win
Osaka, Japan, September 8, 1959

Manila's Heacock basketball team came from behind in the last minute of play to edge out the Matsushita Electric Company five, 86-85 in a pulsating game.
Matsushita was leading 84-82 with less than a minute to play but Carlos Badion came through with a field goal to tie the game at 84-all, 20 seconds to go.
Matsushita took the lead when Sho Sakamoto converted his first free throw with 4 seconds left in the game.
But the Japanese muffed his second try and Emilio Achacoso got the ball and flung away desperately at the basket.
It was the Filipinos fifth victory against two defeats in their 10-game goodwill series in Japan.

Note: Our basketball teams used to hone up their skills with trips abroad usually playing goodwill series with top ballclubs and national teams. We don't do that as much. The Centennial team did a USA tour in 1998 and this year Coach Toroman's team will play goodwill series in Serbia and again in the USA.- Toto Battung

Emon74
03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
CRISPA nips TOYOTA in thriller, 122-121
by: Ernesto Gonzales

Crispa nipped arch rival Toyota with a free throw by Fortunato Co with three seconds left, 122-121,last night, but the real action came after the game in a full-blown rumble by players of both squads at the Araneta Coliseum. It was the start of the All-Filipino Conference of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) and though the Redmanizers and the Tamaraws comported themselves throughout the ferocious match, organizers found themselves helpless as players suddenly exhanged blows as they headed for their respective dugouts.
There were different versions as to who started the free-for-all and Commissioner Leo Prieto said he would know by lunchtime today what to do after receiving eyewitness reports early this morning. Thrown into the background by the unexpected post-game fight was Presto's 122-111 rout of Royal Tru-Orange as Johnny Revilla celebrated his new role as team captain of the Flavorites by firing 34 points.
Co's charity was a result of a technical foul slapped by referee Estafanio Bernos on Toyota coach Dante Silverio with the score tied 121-all. Bernos claimed that Silverio cussed him after he advised Silverio that he had only four players on the floor following Fortunato Acuna's acquisition of his sixth foul by charging off Freddie Hubalde. Hunalde, who earlier missed breaking the 121-all deadlock by muffing two free throws off Ramon Fernandez's sixth foul, also bungled his two charities after Co's winning free throw, to set the final count.
Fernandez wound up with a mouse under his right eye, while Rodolfo Segura had a lump on his forehead as a result of the melee. Crispa's Rodolfo Soriano also had a lump over his right eyebrow.
Reynaldo Franco of Crispa said it was Robert Jaworski who started the fight by punching him as the players walked to their respective dressing rooms. The Toyota skipper,however,denied this. "When I came in the trouble had statrted. Eveyone was rushing at me and I had to defend myself," Jaworski said. "Hindi maaring manggaling sa amin and away, sapagkat kami ang nanalo," said Crispa coach Virgilio Dalupan. Told that Crispa was blaming his boys for starting the five-minute fisticuffs Silverio said, "If that's what they're claiming, we will also claim that they started it."
Games and Amusements Board Chairman Luis Tabuena said he would go after the guilty ones, although he pointed out that the fight erupted after the game had ended and with the players out of the playing arena.

Note: There was a time I believe (my memory is foggy on this one) that both teams were brought to Camp Crame overnight because of their fights. Can any GameFace member have any recollections on this one? Emon74? Toto Battung

This was the Crispa-Toyota game on April 18, 1977, where all 13 players of Crispa and 10 from Toyota were locked up in Camp Crame for 13 hours for charge of "alarm and scandal", some accusing fingers pointed to Fernandez and Atoy Co as those who started the brawl.

Toto, meron ka ba PBA articles about the 1984-1985 Season, naghahanap kasi ako stories about teams that time like Beer Hausen, Gold Eagle, Countryfair as well as Shell when they were a new team in '85

Toto Battung
03-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Emon74, I am not sure if I have the 1984-85 PBA articles. But I'll try to check my "small archives" in boxes if I can find stories on the teams you mentioned. Hopefully some of our readers have them and share them with us. I think the thread is gaining momentum. Thanks, Emon74 for keeping the flame. The Torch is gaining light.

MonL
03-23-2009, 11:41 AM
^Try, if you have time, to check out the National Library's periodicals archives. If you're lucky, the old Sports Weekly and Sports World Magazines from 1974-onwards may still be there. For the YCO-Ysmael Era, there's the Manila Times or the Bulletin, with their Sunday supplements as well.

Toto Battung
03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
MonL, thanks a lot. I remember those magazines (Sports Weekly, Sports World) good sportswriters too. The Manila Times, Manila Bulletin, the Philippine Herald (?) and the Sunday Supplements have always good articles on basketball. Do we have those newspapers in microfilm?

Toto Battung
03-25-2009, 12:09 PM
CAGE SUPREMACY REGAINED
RP Basketeers Bring Back Asian Championship Title After Long Drought Period
Philippine Herald
October 8,1967

In the beginning in Seoul, Korea there was a good deal of predictions about the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC) championship-notably between Japan and South Korea- which for the last two years relegated the Philippines to the back of the curtains in Asian cagefest.
But when the tourney hit full stride, the dopesters took notice of the Filipino's all-out effort to regain their position as Asian Basketball champions and at once the odds swung like a pendulum.
What started the trouble for the Philippine basketball was when it was eliminated from the pre-Olympics in Yokohama. It suffered its severest blow when it lost the Asiad title in Bangkok and finished sixth place, the lowest spot it had in Asian caging.
Back in Seoul the Filipinos first beat Indonesia, 103-67, then India, 111-63; before thrashing defending champion, Japan, 81-69.
Midway in the loop, the locals continued the rout over Singapore, 107-58, before crushing Nationalist China, 83-79. Hong Kong became their seventh victim, 103-52 before paving the way for a titular match with the Koreans by defeating Thailand, 95-66.
That fateful Sunday, Oct. 1, the Filipinos and the Koreans woke up early and took the bus together with the locals going to the church and the hosts went limbering in an undisclosed gym until the finale that night.
The Koreans were fast starters leading early 15-2 in the first five minutes before the Filipinos narrowed the gap, 23-18, in the first quarter. Then Narciso Bernardo and Orlando Bauzon delivered the key blows which pulled up the Philippines, 27-26. The scores went 31-28, 54-47 and 60-53.
The Koreans rallied to within one point, 62-61, for their last gasp of life.
The drama unfolded in the dying last five minutes of the game with the Koreans keeping themselves within striking distance, 75-71, until they moved closer at 79-78.
From out of the cold, Carlos Loyzaga gambled on Danny Florencio who made a freak outside shot, 81-80, which turned out to be the insurance shot for the Filipinos. Florencio followed this up with two free-throws which finally remained as the final score, 83-80.
"Our boys were united in one cause," Loyzaga said afterwards, "and that was to regain the crown they lost two years ago in the third ABC in Kuala Lumpur."
What made the RP team successful in Seoul?
A composite team without prima donnas and the desire to win and bring back the title was what carried the Filipinos to their return to the throne.
Narciso Bernardo, Danilo Florencio, Orlando Bauzon, Adriano Papa, Joaquin Rojas and Ed Ocampo proved the formidable combination for Loyzaga against any other team. And there was Alberto Reynoso, Rogelio Melencio, Jaime Mariano, Robert Jaworski, Ed Roque and Renato Reyes to round up the selection.
(As a young kid, I listened to this championship game between the Philippines and South Korea in the province. I was glued to the radio in my room and prayed for a Philippine win. My prayer was answered and the result was history. The game became a turning point and eventually led me to loving basketball until to this very day. The journey continued as my sons also developed the love for the game. - Toto Battung )

Emon74
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
JRC clips UE, wins Title
Iloilo City, November 26, 1959

Jose Rizal College was crowned the first double champion of the National Students basketball tournament when its senior cagers dethroned University of the East, 84-69, before a sellout crowd at the University of San Agustin Gym.
Earlier, JRC's light bombers, the NCAA Champions, retained the National Inter-secondary diadem by repulsing the Union High Panthers, 69-47. Union had won the right to challenge the lighties by trouncing Feati Piper Cubs, 70-50, in the morning match.
Coach Francisco Calilan's Heavy Bombers blasted off UE with their trademark calculated style, Virgilio Gasgonia driving through the center of UE's defense for either a shot, a sharp feed backwards or merely a foul-bait or Mario Abcede receiving a pass near the foul circle for a clear jumpshot behind the screens set up by Calilan's favorite triple post play.
And if neither Gasgonia nor Abcede was in no position for a try, Franklin Yang, Thelmo Santos and Bienvenido Papa were always capable of providing the Bombers firepower.
In the Junior Encounter, Caoch Jose Cabusao's lighties were paced by Elias Tolentino, Domingo Gomez, Francisco Citra and Renato Perez.

FEU Tams clobber San Carlos, 95-71
December 17, 1960

Far Eastern University clobbered San Carlos University, 95-71, to retain the National Intercollegiate basketball crown at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Romeo Diaz scored 35 points to power the Tamaraws while Julian Macoy, who played for Crispa in the first round of the MICAA cage loop, paced SCU with 25 points.
UAAP Champion University of the East defeated NCAA Champion Jose Rizal College by default to haul down second place. The Heavy Bombers were misinformed about the time of the tussle.
NCAA Champion Mapua Tech bagged the Secondary title by tripping Union High, 61-52

Diaz fires 50 points for FEU
January 11, 1962

Romeo Diaz exploded with 50 points to pace Far Eastern University to a 100-59 walkaway win over Manuel L. Quezon University in the National Intercollegiate cage championship at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The victory was the third straight for the Tamaraws and pushed them within a game of retaining the collegiate title. The Pythons, the top quintet in the UCAA cage circuit, were never in the ballgame after FEU jumped to a 30-12 lead in the first 10 minutes of play.

UV Five pockets Crown
January 13, 1962

University of Visayas trounced Defending Champion Far Eastern University, 75-71, to wrest the National intercollegiate basketball title at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
It was a magnificent come-from-behind triumph for the Lancers, a reminiscent of their 1957 title showdown with Ateneo which they won to bag the loop's diadem for the first time.
Second stringers Faviano Cabahug and Diosdado Violango combined fire to whittle down FEU's led. Then UV coach Tony Lizares fielded in Matias Reyes, Amando Libarnes and Joaquin Rojas, who promptly responded as they scattered 10 points in a row to give the upperhand to UV, 69-66.
Alberto Legaspi, the Tamaraws most consistent player of the match, scored with a drive to narrow the gap but Rojas faked a drive and fed Libarnes for a twinner.
In the Secondary championship, Mapua Tech kept its title by beating the UV baby Lancers, 47-41.

FEU outscores JRC, 77-75, in Finals
February 12, 1964

Undefeated Far Eastern University shaded Jose Rizal College, 77-75, to win the Metropolitan inter-collegiate basketball crown at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Joselito Roa, a veteran of the 1962 Asian Games, triggered the tamaraws to the title by scoring a game-high 37 points. The Heavy bombers, this year's unofficial NCAA champion, led by one at the half, 37-36, only to lose in the homestretch. Elongated Edgardo Gomez topscored for JRC with 26 points followed by Angel Patrimonio with 14. Casimiro Santos and Rene Canent added 12 markers apiece.
It was a sweet victory for Jose Yee's charges who only managed to land at fourth place in the last UAAP tourney.
Earlier, University of the East outlasted Feati University, 80-76, in Overtime to capture third place. Nat Canson, Norman De Vera and Angelito Flores, led the Warriors to the hard-earned victory.

Toto Battung
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Florencio fires 47; U-Tex wins

Manila Bulletin
July 3, 1974

Veteran Danilo Florencio set a new season record of 47 points last night as he powered the U-Tex Weavers to a 118-86 rout of E.R. Squibb in the All-Filipino MICAA basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.
Florencio, regarded by many as the country's top forward, broke by four points the old mark of 43 established by Toyota's Rodolfo Segura against Seven-Up last May 30 at the Rizal Coliseum.
The Weaver's winning margin also surpassed the 27-point spread posted by the Crispa-Floro Redmanizers against the same Seven-Up team last June 27, 127-100.
It was the fifth win in six outings for Lauro Mumar's boys who had led by as much as 36 points, 105-69, with less than 5 minutes left. The loss was the medicine-makers sixth straight. The Weavers also got 20 points each from Lawrence Mumar and Ricky Pineda. In the second game, the Mariwasa Hondas clobbered the Uncolas, 101-82, after leading 46-38 at the half. The win boosted Mariwasa's record to 2-4 while the loss lowered 7-Up's mark to 1-5.
Other scorers; U-Tex Deles 15, Basilan 9, Eguia 3, Frank 3, Delos Santos 1 Salvador 0
ER Squibb- Brodett , Arpilleda 15 each, Manalo 12, A. Uy 8, Villareal 6, T. Uy 6, Arceo 6, Demetrio,Remonte,Abaya 4 each, Manalaysay and Gonzales 2 each.

Toto Battung
03-27-2009, 11:56 PM
PBA's great team Crispa almost did not make deadline in the inaugural PBA tourney. See the name of 8 players fielded to make the deadline. Toto Battung

CRISPA MEETS PBA DEADLINE;
Series starts tomorrow

Crsipa caught up last night with the final deadline of entries-48 hours before the Philippine Basketball Association kicks off its first season-with none of its six regular national players among the minimum eight it fielded. Commissioner Leo Prieto said Crispa was well within the rules and has up to the end of the first of three rounds to gather the maximum number of 16 players.
Crsipa manager Danny Floro unsuccessful in his late bid to sign up William Adornado, Fortunato Co and four other members of the last regular national team, said they could catch up with the PBA after the national invitational. A Crispa official called in the Redmanizer list to make the 5:00 p.m. deadline and then followed with the contracts of Reynaldo Pages, Jesus Sta. Maria, David Ijares, Bernard Fabiosa, Virgilio dela Cruz, Eric Leano, Joel Gomez and Alex Azurin.
None of the other eight other ballclubs had the maximum 16 although top favorite Toyota had 12, SevenUp 14, Mariwasa-Noritake 14, CFC Corp 15 and San Miguel (Tru-Orange) 13. Tanduay had nine and Concepcion-Carrier, 10.
The Tru-Orange lineups include Manuel Paner, Rosalio Martirez, Ernesto Estrada and David Regullano.
Tomorrow's opening gaames at the Araneta Coliseum pit Noritake against Carrier and Toyota against U-Tex. The next twinbill is set Saturday.
The referees who have joined the association are Cesar Correa, Eriberto Cruz, Alex Ignacio, Remigio Bartolome, Felicoano Santarina and Venusto Marquez. THey will get P1,000 a month plus P150 for every game they work and P50 for every bye.
(Wow, look at the money they make, that should make AIG officials blush.-Toto)

Toto Battung
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Meralco wallops Hong Kong, 99-76
The Manila Times
December 5,1968

HongKong, Dec.2-
The Manila Electric Company (Meralco) basketball team romped to a 99-76 victory over the HongKong selection Saturday in the first of its two engagements here.
Ric Cabrera and Jaime Mariano sparked the Filipino hoopsters with 20 and 14 points, respectively. The Manila quintet was scheduled for a second engagement here Monday night before enplaning for Teheran on the second leg of a trip that will take them to Madrid for the Fourth Noel (Christmas) basketball tournament there Dec. 24-26.
Three games in Tel Aviv await the Filipinos Dec. 7-11. They were also scheduled for matches at Zurich Dec. 14, Geneva Dec. 16 and Barcelona on the way back to Manila.

Toto Battung
04-01-2009, 10:53 AM
RP WINS by 141 Points

Philippine Daily Inquirer
by Lorenzo Manguiat
July 3, 2000

No mercy.
The Philippines' 20 and under men's basketball team booked itself a finals slot in the SEABA Young Men's Tournament atfer clobbering Brunei Darussalam, 160-19, yesterday at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.
The Nationals completely dominated the game from start to finish, forcing the Brunei players to commit an eye-poping 73 turnovers, which in turn led to an avalanche of easy baskets. At one point, the RP squad reeled off 33 consecutive points and twice fired 28 in a row.
It was a pitiful sight to watch the Brunei players fumbling the ball on almost every occasion as they were simply no match against the much taller and more skillful Filipinos. Brunei only managed to score seven points in the final 20 minutes after trailing 12-71 in the opening half.
Eight out of the 11 players fielded in by Coach Boyzie Zamar scored in double figures led by Jenkins Mesina with 25 points.
The Filipinos, who notched their second win, will meet Malaysia for the crown today at 3:30 PM. The Malaysians defeated Singapore, 71-62 in the night cap.
Scores: Philippines 160- Mesina 25, Zagala 20, Tiongco 19, Magsumbol 19, Menor 18, Sotto 17, Kong 16, R. de Ocampo 13, Reroma 7, Coronel 4, Y. de Ocampo 2
Brunei Darussalam 19- Lim Aik Hock 5, Po Yung Hai 4, Lim Chee Pin 2, Chong Ching Poh 2, Ho Pu Kok 2, Yong Chin Aull 2, Tay Kai Sen 2.
Halftime: 71-12

(141 points difference; is this the biggest spread in winning a basketball game in international play? Does any Gameface member have any statistics on this record? Thanks...Toto Battung

AnthonyServinio
04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
RP WINS by 141 Points

Philippine Daily Inquirer
by Lorenzo Manguiat
July 3, 2000

No mercy.
The Philippines' 20 and under men's basketball team booked itself a finals slot in the SEABA Young Men's Tournament atfer clobbering Brunei Darussalam, 160-19, yesterday at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.
The Nationals completely dominated the game from start to finish, forcing the Brunei players to commit an eye-poping 73 turnovers, which in turn led to an avalanche of easy baskets. At one point, the RP squad reeled off 33 consecutive points and twice fired 28 in a row.
It was a pitiful sight to watch the Brunei players fumbling the ball on almost every occasion as they were simply no match against the much taller and more skillful Filipinos. Brunei only managed to score seven points in the final 20 minutes after trailing 12-71 in the opening half.
Eight out of the 11 players fielded in by Coach Boyzie Zamar scored in double figures led by Jenkins Mesina with 25 points.
The Filipinos, who notched their second win, will meet Malaysia for the crown today at 3:30 PM. The Malaysians defeated Singapore, 71-62 in the night cap.
Scores: Philippines 160- Mesina 25, Zagala 20, Tiongco 19, Magsumbol 19, Menor 18, Sotto 17, Kong 16, R. de Ocampo 13, Reroma 7, Coronel 4, Y. de Ocampo 2
Brunei Darussalam 19- Lim Aik Hock 5, Po Yung Hai 4, Lim Chee Pin 2, Chong Ching Poh 2, Ho Pu Kok 2, Yong Chin Aull 2, Tay Kai Sen 2.
Halftime: 71-12

(141 points difference; is this the biggest spread in winning a basketball game in international play? Does any Gameface member have any statistics on this record? Thanks...Toto Battung

* * *I can proudly say that I watched this game live at the venue.* Talagang nagmukhang kaawa-awa ang mga batang Brunei.

* * *By the way, Yancy de Ocampo was limited to only two points because he sustained a cut on his eyebrow early in the first period during a loose ball scuffle.* He never returned.

* * *Also missing from the box scores is forward Nelbert Omolon.

* * *Just to give a perspective, the Brunei center and tallest player was a fat kid who stood a shade above six feet.* They had at least one more player at the 5'11 to 6'0" range and the rest were from 5'5" to 5'9".

* * So what happened to this RP Team?

* * Nelbert Omolon (Sta. Lucia), Christian Coronel (Sta. Lucia), Ervin Sotto (Alaska) and brothers Yancy de Ocampo (Talk 'N Text) and Ranidel de Ocampo (Talk 'N Text) are still active in the PBA;

* * Jenkins Mesina had a brief PBA career with Purefoods;

* * Mark Magsumbol (Quezon), Ronnie Zagala (Taguig) and Mark Kong (Misamis Oriental) are currently playing for different teams in Liga Pilipinas. *Magsumbol (Sta. Lucia/Air 21) and Kong (Alaska/San Miguel/Red Bull) also made it to the PBA;

* * Britt Reroma is an assistant coach at San Beda-Rizal;

* * Romar Menor and Patrick Tiongco are OFW's in the Middle East. *Menor played one season of pro ball with Cagayan de Oro in the MBA's final year in 2002;

* * Coach David "Alamat" Zamar is currently coaching in Indonesia.

Toto Battung
04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
AnthonyServinio, Wow...I knew I've heard about "walking encyclopedia". You have so much information on basketball. There is always interest on "Where are they now?" and you gave some good information on players that played on that 2000 SEABA.
Emon74, how thick is your binder on Philippine basketball? It's great to read all your clippings. We might not know it yet, but we must be building a thread that future historians might be able to get information on their research for future books or a comprehensive study on Philippine Basketball History. Also connections to families whose relatives once had a part in Philippine basketball.
Thanks.

Emon74
04-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Emon74, how thick is your binder on Philippine basketball? It's great to read all your clippings. We might not know it yet, but we must be building a thread that future historians might be able to get information on their research for future books or a comprehensive study on Philippine Basketball History. Also connections to families whose relatives once had a part in Philippine basketball.
Thanks.

agreed toto, pwede na nga gumawa ng annual or book about the MICAA, since we had knowlegable historians here and the MyPba website who had rich recollections of philippine basketball history from 1950-onwards, amazing is it, if you notice lang I missed out the 1970s era where wala ko mga files, its a good thing I keep more for future references. Thanks too.

Toto Battung
04-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I have previously posted, "Unrivaled Rivalries in Philippine Basketball; Yco-Ysmael, Toyota-Crispa and La Salle-Ateneo" as part of A Page from Yesteryear. Now a new part will be: "The Game that Matters: Basketball's Title Clinchers". Whether its a best of 3, best of 7 or knockout there's the game that counts: the title clincher. It's nice to put the the first story on National University Bulldogs, the so called perennial cellar dwellars of UAAP. Fifty five (55) years ago, they are the toast of Phillippine college basketball. They were champions before and they can be champions again. Never say never. Read on.

NU Cops 1954 UAAP Title
by: Tirso L. Rodriguez

The inspired National U Bulldogs, playing in their now-or-never year, furiously battled the pace-setting Far Eastern U Tamaraws in a make-or-break game and clobbered the Tamaraws, 41-36 to ticket their way into their first varsity title since 1938 last night as the drawn out 1954 University Athletic Association of the Philippines cage loop rang down it's curtains at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Earlier, the University of Santo Tomas stopped their staggering ways and pounded out a 79-65 win over the fighting University of the Philippines Maroons. In the afternoon appetizers, the UST Golden Nuggets bulldozed its way into their first postwar high school championship when they snapped the long-reign of the FEU Baby Tamaraws in the prep division with a 42-33 victory while the NU Bullpups eked out a razor-thin 62-60 win over a determined University of Manila Rammites to move into third honors of the high school circuit.
There were no signs that an impending crash was upon them nor were the gods unkind to last year's runner-up, the highly favored FEU Tamaraws, as they jumped into an easy 9-1 lead through the wicked outside shooting of Amador, Relosa and Alcabao. Then when the familiar rout was on its way, the lowly Bulldogs, sparked by the brilliant playing of skipper Tony Villamor suddenly came to life as Calara erupted twice in a row to chop the Tamaraws advantage. Amador and Ligeraldo stretched their spread but Verzosa from the side and Villamor with a long flip kept them in the fight, 14-11. Alcabao and De Jesus traded compliments from way out, 16-13. Relosa countered with a charity and Villamor from under made it 17-15. Another long shot from Relosa pulled the Tamaraws further but De Jesus could not be denied as he retaliated with the same dose, 19-17. Then Relosa was fouled by Verzosa which he made good followed by a grand slam by Ligeralde to give the Tamaraws the driver's seat at lemontime.
With their back against the wall, the Bulldogs were at their best as Tony Villamor electrified the 12,000 crowd with his rebound savvy, feinting and scoring sock. Aided by the tight patrolling of the backlines by De Jesus and Calara and the high geared shooting of San Juan and Verzosa, the Bulldogs were able to slash the commanding lead of the Tamaraws, 28-27. Figueroa from the foul line and Santos with a hook pulled the Tamaraws away from the fire. Then with 5:45 to go, De Jesus scored twice from the outside to knot the count at 31-all. Seconds later he converted a charity to put the Bulldogs into the lead, 32-31. Amador in no time levelled the count again to 32-all from the foul area when De Jesus came through with three conversions from the bucket line to forge once more into the lead.
A temporary crisis hit the NU crew when Villamor had to rest from cramps and Calara fouled out with four minutes to go. Relosa kept the Tamaraws in the thick of the fight from the charity line, 33-35. De Jesus fired another charity and Teh came through with a "long Tom" for a 38-33 bulge. Teh and Relosa exchanged a shot each after misses from the foul line, 38-34. Verzosa stretched the lead to 39-33 followed by Villamor's twin charities to wrap the game. A long shot by Relosa proved to be the last stand of FEU, as the gun barked ending hostilities.

(Notice how sportswriters write then. Compare them to nowadays.- Toto Battung )

Toto Battung
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Unrivaled Rivalries: Yco-Ysmael (MICAA)

Yco nips Ysmael Steel, 79-77, one game away from title

Manila, August 29, 1961- Yco came from behind to nose out Ysmael Steel, 79-77 to move within a game of retaining the MICAA cage championship before 10,000 fans at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The Painters fought it out with the Admirals toe to toe until the homestretch, but three lanky Olympian Cristobal Ramas, who had played heads up game, enable Yco to break loose in the last 50 seconds of regulation play.
Yco cashed in on Ramas' error when Carlos Badion, who, with Christino Arroyo, Edgardo Ocampo and Robert Littaua carried the Painters in the clutches, baited Ysmael forward Cesar Jota for two free throws to seal the fate of the game.
The Admirals took command at halftime, 44-42, behind the sweet-shooting Narciso Bernardo, who topscored the game for 25 markers, but Yco gained fire when Bernardo fouled out with five minutes to play.
The win was the 11th for the Painters in 12 matches, U-Tex snapped Yco's 10-game winning streak by edging out the Painters, 70-69, last week.

Emon74
04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
November 10, 1987

Magnolia Ice Cream clinched the third outright semifinals berth in the PABL Maharlika cup at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum after a spirited 102-87 win over Sta.Lucia Realty.
A 25-10 salvo by the Ice Cream Makers in the middle of the second half was the decisive turning point of the game as they posted a commanding 14-point advantage.
Magnolia joined early semifinal qualifiers RFM-Swifts and Lhuillier. Sta.Lucia, on the other hand, joined Philips Sardines, Purefoods and Miescor in a two-round elimination that will determine the last team that would qualify into the next round.
In the other games, Bahrain downed the fledgling RP Youth team, 88-84, while Lhuillier escaped Miescor, 111-104.

November 15, 1987 (Asian Basketball Confederation)

Defending champion RP mustered its enough strength and unleashed a superb offensive in the second half to crush tall Jordan, 97-91.
Trailing by 15 points, the Locals bankrolled on successive shots by Joshua Villapando, Nelson Asaytono and Ronnie Magsanoc to jam the Jordanians.
Added bonus to the boys in their elimination round campaign was the non-appearance of Iran which was scheduled to be their next assignment. The extra day off will be used by coach Joe Lipa to scout the rest of the top contenders.
In the other game, Thailand treated the homecrowd with a victory over Indonesia, 85-68.

blue scorpion
04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Meron bang post about Ateneo's 1987 or 1988 championship? I would like to read about "the comback" or about UAAP's first Ateneo- La Salle championship.

Emon74
04-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Meron bang post about Ateneo's 1987 or 1988 championship? I would like to read about "the comback" or about UAAP's first Ateneo- La Salle championship.

I'll try to post it sooner, Ateneo's 1987 and 1988 championship victories

Toto Battung
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
YCO Raps SMB, 105-81
Heacock's Scares PAL

Viscounts Win by 77-70,
Admirals Play Crispans
7-Up vs. Yellow Taxi Tonight

The Evening News
The Leading Afternoon Daily

YCO Athletic Club's Redshirts, shooting beyond the century mark under pressure from San Miguel Brewery's hard-trying Braves bagged their second triumph in as many tries at Rizal Coliseum last night by pounding out a 105-81 decision, the first time this round that a team went beyond two figures.
Philippine Airlines Viscounts, paced by Venture for Victory Crusaders' Tine Hardemann and Bud Shaeffer, with added scoring sock by Nilo Fuentebella and Benjamin Rosello, broke away from the Heacock's Speed Merchants in the final five minutes of the game for a 77-70 victory.
Surprisingly, both encounters were thrillers, the Yco-SMB tilt, though only up to a certain point.
Wiping out a 4-point deficit at the half, which ended at 37-35, the Speed Merchants on the drives of tall Benjamin Falcon, bulky Andres Manaol and little Adriano Mora romped ahead to a 62-58 with little over five minutes left in the game.

irateluvmachine
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
nice articles!* ;D

back when i had time to do some old-school basketball research in the national library, yung di ko talaga na-take down yung actual articles...it was really more on the individual boxscores and the lineups...since back then i wanted to do something similar to zander hollander's NBA encyclopedias from back in the day...furthermore, nakakapagod din kopyahin yung mga articles word-for-word from the old newspapers...

lemme see if i can find enough time between work at the call center and the band scene.* i'm looking forward to resuming this research ASAP.* *;D

would anyone have copies of roger flores' 1974 series from the times journal, on the top filipino basketball players of all time?* i think the series lasted about 35-40 articles...in-depth profiles of pre-war players like gabby and fely fajardo, jacinto ciria-cruz, up to more contemporary (at that time) players like narciso bernardo and bonnie carbonell...

Toto Battung
04-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Irateluvmachine....thanks (nice articles!). I know it's hard to juggle work ( your call center and band scenes), but all you have to do is find that (rare) time and do what you love (doing old school research) and start punching those stories here. Lots of old and new basketball fans love to read those old articles.
I hope what you're looking for Roger Flores' "top Filipino basketball players" on Times Journal in 1974, would soon appear here, courtesy of some of our readers. I remember Recah Trinidad did "Basketball Idols" in 1970 for The Sunday Times Magazine and Philip Ellla Juico did one for Celebrity Magazine in the late 1970's (Bilbao,Arazas,Valenzona ..Maricor de Villa on Fely Fajardo etc..)
Yes, it would be nice to have old articles on our basketball players here. Also boxscores and line-ups. here's hoping it materializes... and...let's drink to that!

pachador
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
There is already a long summary article on the early history of Philippine basketball up to 1960s with lots of old pics. This summary article can be easily expanded into book form by adding all the extra details and trivia and including the 1970s era to the present times.* *Anyway, Gameface will give additional details at the right time.

Toto Battung
04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Florencio, Big J
Best He saw in RP
says Sloan

The US NCAA champion North Carolina State Wolfpack series against RP quintet (1974)

William (Bogs) Adornado averaged a good 21 points a agme against the North Carolina State Wolfpack, but it was Danny Florencio and Bobby Jaworski who best caught Wolfpack coach Norm Sloan's eye: Jaworski for his rugged defense- and despite his numerous lapses ("As much the other guy's fault as his..."); Florencio for his fearless incursions into the lane and variety of shots.
The North Carolina State coach though had a good word for both Adornado and Co, who he said were effective with their fade-away shots. Adornado's particularly arched way over the outstretched hands of the high-flying (David) Thompson or his taller teammates. Co lost first-day jitters to perform well in the last two games. ( The Wolfpacks played 4 games, one against the MICAA selection and three against the RP quintet.)

Emon74
04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Not to be forgotten in the history of Philippine basketball was the long-running conflict between then BAP president Gonzalo "Lito" Puyat (who serves a term longer than President Marcos was) and the PBA, which span for nearly two decades.

and this article is just one of those never-ending saga

Counter & Counter offer
By: Lopie Guzman (Basketball Weekly, May 1991)

Just when BAP president Lito Puyat has named a coaching staff and ordered tryouts for the national team seeing action in two international meets, here comes an offer from PBA commissioner Rudy Salud.
Salud has somewhat softened his stand of not lending pro players to the national team. He announced that the PBA is willing to lend not just eight but 12 players to the national team. But there's a catch to it! These players will only see action in the 16th SEA Games scheduled in Manila on November. No way will Salud and the PBA allow the pros to see action in the more prestigious ABC men's championship set in kobe, Japan on August.
Of course Salud's offer is in consonance with the wish of PSC chairman Cecil Hechanova who had earlier stated he wanted pros in the SEAG team to ensure victory before a hometown crowd. It will be recalled that Malaysia defeated the Philippines in the basketball finals of the 1989 SEAG held in kuala lumpur. We don't want a repetition of that same setback. Not on our own soil!
But as expected, Puyat scoffed at Salud's offer. Said Puyat "we need the pros in the ABC. We can win the SEAG gold with an all-amateur team" which is quite true!
If I remember it right, when the FIBA approved its open basketball policy. Salud was quick to say that the PBA won't just lend players to all national teams that will be formed. The PBA will be selective and will only lend players for very important international undertakings such as the Olympics and the Asian Games. He had said that the SEA games is simply a regional meet and that even an all-amateur team, given the proper preparations, can win. In fact, Salud had gone on to point out that he will only lend players to the ABC meet which serves as a qualifying tournament for the Olympics and not to the ABC contest which serves as a qualifying tournament for the World basketball championships. He clarified that there wasn?€™t much need to compete in the World Championships because admit it or not, we cant be world powers in basketball!
This year's ABC meet in kobe is a qualifying tournament for the 1992 barcelona olympics, and if we take salud on proclamations made over a year ago, then it is imperative for the PBA to lend players for the kobe ABC! Salud's latest proclamation is offering players for the SEAG and not for the ABC smacks with a lot of contradictions!
Perhaps in reneging on his previous announcement, Salud took into consideration the adverse eefects that the recent Asian games experience brought upon by the PBA. After an all-pro team was beaten black and blue by the chineses in beijing, attendance at the ULTRA and even television ratings of the 1990 third conference dipped. It was one of the worst of times for the PBA and it is only this year that the PBA is recouping its losses. To interrupt the schedule of the league and to lend players to the kobe meet wherein we will be facing powerhouse China anew could turn out disastrous. There is no guarantee we will be able to get it back to the chinese who have been preparing for the kobe meet for more than a year. Another loss could diminish the interest generated in fans this season. It would be better to play safe.
A triumph by an all-pro team in the SEA games before a hometown crowd would strenghten the credibility of the pro league. But Puyat, who is just as cunning as salud, wouldn't allow himself to be hoodwinked. Rebuffing the salud proposal but the natural thing to do, in the end, puyat and his bunch of amateurs would be exalted as martyrs if they lose in kobe. If, by luck and other designs of fate, they go on to win and represent Asia in Barcelona, that would be a big blow to Salud and the PBA!

Toto Battung
04-23-2009, 03:49 AM
One forgotten popular basketball tournament in the 50's is the Businessman's AA. Some MICAA teams or players played in this tournament too. Here's an article on that league.

Boie five overwhelms Malayan

The defending champion Botica Boie Quitals last night tied idle Fil-Hispano for top spot by routing Malayan Insurance, 93-72 in the BAA basketball tournament second round play at the Rizal Coliseum.
Cesar Baldueza's Aircon Airmasters beat Yutivo Opels in a protested game, 88-81. Aircon used suspended players Cesar Evangelista and Danny Zervoulakos.
The Airmasters narrowed an earlier 6-21 deficit at halftime, 35-42. Midway in the second half, Yutivo was still way out in front, 62-52 but veteran Arturo Calara and Manuel Miranda fought back for the Aircons.
Calara gave Aircon the lead for the first time at 79-78 with still five minutes left. At the 2-minute mark, Aircon was in front by five, 84-79.
Evangelista and Zervoulakos were thrown out of the game in the last outing against Botica Boie. BAA ruling suspends such players for one playing day.
(Calara topscored for Aircon with 23, Miranda 21, Zervoulakos 17, R. Rodriguez and Fronda with 8 apiece, Evangelista 5, E. Rodriguez 4 and Abella 2. For Yutivo-Sagarbarria 16,Adriano 14,Ilano 12,Sarmiento 10, flores 8, Vestil, Donato 6 apiece, Lotuaco 4, Gimeno, Reyes 2 apiece, Senas 1, Sarabia 0.
Boie-Camagong 37, De leon 18, Gueco 11, c. Garcia, Abundo 8 apiece, Cuyno 5, Tantay 4, R. Garcia 2, Falcon,Reynado 0;
Malayan-Atienza 16, Henares 15, Del Rosario 13, Gerardo 8, Legaspi 7, Santos, Magalong, Ballesteros 3 apiece, Lemen, Rosal 2 apiece, Ortiz, Yap, Jimenez 0.

Toto Battung
04-23-2009, 11:28 PM
I was researching for the article of the game where Robert Jaworski and Alberto Reynoso were banned for life, (Emon74 do you have the article?) and found this article instead in my library. A 43 year old clipping from DAW page 3 dated April 19, 1966 a Tuesday.- Very interesting article. DAW is this the UE student paper? - Toto Battung

Jaworski confesses guilt

Basketball Association of the Philippines disclosed yesterday afternoon that Robert "The Hands" Jaworski of the Red Warriors had admitted that it was he who started the infamous UE-UST midcourt rumble which marred the inter-collegiate cage championship last March at the Rizal Coliseum.
BAP president Ambrosio Padilla said that Jaworski signed a written statement to the effect.
In the statement, Jaworski allegedley admitted that he belted UST's Manuel Tan when the latter accidentally hit him below the belt during a rebound play. And that started the whole thing. Because of the admission of Jaworski the BAP decided to suspend the Warrior star for life and the rest of the UE players for 100 years each.
The BAP had imposed from three months to one year suspensions on the UE players in an earlier decision.
"It was for the good of Philippine basketball. It is high time that we should put a stop to this rude behaviour of our athletes", Padilla said.
Jaworski this morning said that the admission was forced on him. He said that he was compelled to sign the statement after he was subjected to third degree treatment by Padilla, BAP secretary Dionisio Calvo and two toughies at an exclusive night club on Roxas Boulevard.
"I tell you, it was the most inhuman thing that they did to me," Jaworski said. At the club, Jaworski said he was ushered by two-villain-looking characters into a room where Padilla and calvo, were waiting for him.
"At first they offered me some drinks and then inistir ako and asked me to sign a prepared statement. But dehin ako mabola nila. I refused to sign the statement for what was there was not what really happened. At niyari na ako ng dalawang kontrabida yaon. Padilla and Calvo also practised their uppercuts on me," Jaworski said.
The Warrior mainstay said that because of his suspension for life, he is just going to play sipa.
"I can score as high as 99 in it," Jaworski said.

( I don't know if this is a " joke article" on a student newspaper. So i'm checking the old newspapers,The Manila Times or The Daily Mirror of March 1966 on what really happened in the UST-UE basket-brawl. Emon74, do have stories on this particular game?)

pachador
04-24-2009, 12:49 AM
anyone has a list of MICAA champions from 1939 to 1970 ?

and another list of the seniors open champions ?

thanks

Emon74
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I was researching for the article of the game where Robert Jaworski and Alberto Reynoso were banned for life, (Emon74 do you have the article?) and found this article instead in my library. A 43 year old clipping from DAW page 3 dated April 19, 1966 a Tuesday.- Very interesting article. DAW is this the UE student paper? - Toto Battung

meron ako clippings of a Big J interview in 1987 when na open yun topic about him and big boy reynoso beating up referee ting obias in that Crispa-Meralco game where jawo got banned for life, I'd post it later.

I also read that in one toyota game, Big J and Danny Florencio combined forces for a tammaraw victory, nabanggit eto UE-UST brawl in the 60s where jawo and florencio are on opposite sides.

Toto Battung
04-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Unrivaled Rivalries: Yco-Ysmael Steel MICAA

YCO wins Sixth National Cage Title

March 10, 1959 - The mighty Yco Painters downed arch-rival Ysmael Steel Admirals, 79-70 to win their sixth straight National Open basketball Championships and assert their supremacy in the Philippine cage scene.
The Painters, cheered by the majority in the full-packed Rizal Memorial Coliseum, leaned heavily on the heroics of old reliables Carlos Loyzaga, who erupted for 29 points, Antonio Genato and the newly-recruited Robert Littaua, a prize catch from Ateneo to repeatedly quell the uprising being staged by the Admirals Geronimo Cruz, Cristobal Ramas, Albert Dunbar and Francisco Rabat in the final 10 minutes of play.
Almost lost in the aftermath of Yco's title-retention victory in the classic match was the Crispa-Floro Redmanizers earlier plastering of the Seven-Up Marauders for third place in the national rankings.
James Yap and Abelardo Ilano alternated in pacing Crispa it's revenge conquest of the Marauders. They scored 21 points apiece to lead the Redmanizers scoring parade.

Yco Nips Ysmael Steel Five, 91-89 , wins National Title

March 6, 1960 - Yco posted a come-from-behind victory over Ysmael Steel, 91-89, to win the National Open Basketball Championships before 9,000 fans at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The Admirals built an 82-62 in 31 minutes of play with spectacular shooting and an impenetrable man-zone defense. But in the next eight minutes, the lead went out as Carlos Loyzaga, Kurt Bachmann, Loreto Carbonell, Edgardo Ocampo and Emilio Achacoso Jr. spewed fire to give Yco it's seventh straight hold on National Cage supremacy.
A jumpshot from the side by Carbonell gave Yco its first taste of the lead with 54 seconds left, 89-88. Cristobal Ramas canned in a charity on Ocampo's fourth foul for 89-all, 36 ticks off the gun, but in the next 26 seconds, the Painters passed the ball around calmly to set a jumpshot from the side by Bachmann.
Alfonso Marquez set-shot from the mid-court line, a second before the final buzzer, but the ball hit the apron of the ring and bounced out. As expected, Loyzaga's rebounding supremacy was the biggest factor behind Yco's victory.
Far Eastern University took third place honors by defeating Philippine Airlines, 76-73, in the first game.

Emon74
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Toto, napansin ko sa NU 1954 UAAP championship article at sa post ko din about UAAP, nagtugma yun isang sinabi "the gun barked" what was it? I was wondering baka walang buzzer that sounds to end the game nun panahon na yun kaya nagpapaputok lang.

as for the continuation of that Yco 79-77 win over Ysmael in the first game of the 1961 MICAA championship, the Admirals actually won the title by default as the Yco Painters, for some reasons didnt want to play at the Araneta Coliseum in the third and final game, thus losing the crown, Ysmael tied the series by winning Game 2.

Toto Battung
05-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Emon74... nice observation! The gun barked to end hostilities. Kept me thinking on how games ended during the early days of Philippine basketball. I believe they really use the sound of the gun to end the games. Can anyone explain the mechanics of how they use the gun (just the sound) or what if the gun misfires? Just imagine one team leading by one, the crowd in an uproar, the other team shoots the ball after the game as they did not hear a sound as the gun misfires. What happens? Now I am confused, thanks Emon for bringing this seemingly unnoticeable ending of early Philippine basketball.

oca
05-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Toto, napansin ko sa NU 1954 UAAP championship article at sa post ko din about UAAP, nagtugma yun isang sinabi "the gun barked" what was it? I was wondering baka walang buzzer that sounds to end the game nun panahon na yun kaya nagpapaputok lang.

as for the continuation of that Yco 79-77 win over Ysmael in the first game of the 1961 MICAA championship, the Admirals actually won the title by default as the Yco Painters, for some reasons didnt want to play at the Araneta Coliseum in the third and final game, thus losing the crown, Ysmael tied the series by winning Game 2.

Sa naaalala ko, up until the early years of the PBA, there were instances/ games when they would actually fire small caliber revolvers with blanks to signify end of periods. Low tech ang timing equipment marahil or may sira so they reverted to a method that is time tested.

Toto Battung
05-02-2009, 08:56 AM
By the way, Emon, in the 1961 MICAA championship you say the YCO Painters defaulted Game 3 because they did not want to play at the Araneta Coliseum? There must be a reason why they did not want to play at Araneta. Any clippings on Game 2 of that series, or stories why Game 3 was moved to Quezon City? It's just weird to default on a winner-take-all because of a change of venue. Hope somebody can shed light on this story. Really part of the lore on Unrivaled Rivalry. Thanks, Emon.

Emon74
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
By the way, Emon, in the 1961 MICAA championship you say the YCO Painters defaulted Game 3 because they did not want to play at the Araneta Coliseum? There must be a reason why they did not want to play at Araneta. Any clippings on Game 2 of that series, or stories why Game 3 was moved to Quezon City? It's just weird to default on a winner-take-all because of a change of venue. Hope somebody can shed light on this story. Really part of the lore on Unrivaled Rivalry. Thanks, Emon.

Toto, Wala nga din ko clippings na malinaw na reasons why Yco Painters didnt want to play sa Araneta Coliseum, it only says "psychological" reasons, maybe someone can enlightened us here behind the Painters non-appearance in Game 3 of the 1961 MICAA championship which resulted to a default win by Ysmael Steel.

Toto Battung
05-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Emon, also one story I would to read is the surrounding drama that led to the Ysmael Steel players to ball boys to shave their heads ( bald as Yul Brynner)if they lose to the Yco Painters and the reaction of the public to the display of one for all and all for one. I know Gameface members are knowledgeable about the rich history of early Philippine basketball. Hope we get stories on this too.

pepman
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
anyone has a list of MICAA champions from 1939 to 1970 ?

and another list of the seniors open champions ?

thanks

Complete ba? May listahan na kami sa mga previous threads ah, tingnan mo lang, yung nga lang incomplete.

Toto Battung
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Philippines Surprises Japan, 81-78
in Asian Games Basketball Opener

Seoul, South Korea- September 1986

Avelino Lim Jr. scored 21 points and Allan Caidic added 20 to lead the Philippines over Japan, 81-78 in the 10th Asian Games Basketball opener for both teams.
A basket from Alvin Patrimonio with 10 seconds left lifted the Philippines to a 42-40 halftime lead. In the fiercely fought first interval, the lead changed hands six times and the score was tied twice.
The Philippines widened their lead to 54-44 with a rally early in the second half, but the Japanese roared back to move within three at 71-68 with 5:21 to go.
The Philippines maintained their margin of three or four points down the buzzer.
In the other opener, Song Tao scored 20 points to lead China to a 99-75 rout over Kuwait. The Chinese silver-medalist in the 1982 New Delhi Asiad, took by surprise the Kuwaiti team by building a 24-14 edge in less than 5 minutes into the game. Wang Libin and Sun Fengwu each scored 15 points to pace the winners, while Kuwait's highest scorer was Yousof Al Majed with 19 points.

Emon74
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Philippines Surprises Japan, 81-78
in Asian Games Basketball Opener

Seoul, South Korea- September 1986

Avelino Lim Jr. scored 21 points and Allan Caidic added 20 to lead the Philippines over Japan, 81-78 in the 10th Asian Games Basketball opener for both teams.
A basket from Alvin Patrimonio with 10 seconds left lifted the Philippines to a 42-40 halftime lead. In the fiercely fought first interval, the lead changed hands six times and the score was tied twice.
The Philippines widened their lead to 54-44 with a rally early in the second half, but the Japanese roared back to move within three at 71-68 with 5:21 to go.
The Philippines maintained their margin of three or four points down the buzzer.
In the other opener, Song Tao scored 20 points to lead China to a 99-75 rout over Kuwait. The Chinese silver-medalist in the 1982 New Delhi Asiad, took by surprise the Kuwaiti team by building a 24-14 edge in less than 5 minutes into the game. Wang Libin and Sun Fengwu each scored 15 points to pace the winners, while Kuwait's highest scorer was Yousof Al Majed with 19 points.

Nice, tagal ko na inaabangan to, I hope you could posts our RP men's team victories in the 1985 Jones Cup, where we beat the United States, and the last ABC triumph our Country had in January 1986.

Sa 10th.Asian Games in Seoul, South Korea, dun ko una narinig sila Ronnie Magsanoc at Alvin Patrimonio.

Toto Battung
05-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Emon, nice to know you keenly follow our Philippine National Basketball teams. I started following them too, like the post I put on this thread after listening on the radio as they won the 1967 ABC in Seoul. A project also danced in my mind of putting a compilation in book form: "For Flag and Country: Names and Games of the Philippine National Basketball teams". It's still a project. Well, for your request I need to put on my Indiana Jones hat and start digging the piles in my archives for the 1985 Jones Cup and the 1986 ABC where our national teams won against good national teams. Or other GameFace members might have them too. We'll see.

Emon74
05-12-2009, 09:26 AM
San Francisco Dons rip MICAA selection
July 15, 1959

The visiting San Francisco dons battered the MICAA All-Filipino selection, composed of world basketball veterans including Carlos Loyzaga, 93-71, before 5,000 partisan fans At the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Paced by giant John Cunningham, who scored 28 points from unerring hookshots and one-handed flips, the dons led by at least 10 points throughout the match. The defeat was the most humiliating ever handed to the local selection by the dons which were marred by a near fisticuffs at least in two occasions. First man to lose his temper was Carlos Badion, seeing that he couldn't ram in through the air tight, zone-man don formation, he sapped the air out of guard Bob Radanovich by kicking him on a carpet shot in the second half. as a result badion was slapped a charging foul. He pulled the same trick on Radanovich, who raised his mitts. Both were thrown out of the court. Two other cagers, Eddie Marquicias of the MICAA and Ed Slevin of the dons, poured it on.

Bearcats rip MICAA, 85-60, sweep series
September 12, 1961

Cincinnati University ran roughshod over the MICAA Selection, 85-60, at the Araneta Coliseum to complete a sweep of its eight-game exhibition series.
A crowd of 22,000 gathered at the coliseum in the hope of seeing the Local squad, composed of the Country's Rome Olympic cagers, spring surprises in the bearcats farewell tilt under coach Dionisio Calvo.
But the crowd and the bearcats were not in the mood when two local standouts; Carlos Loyzaga and Carlos Badion failed to show up. The locals, lacking coordination and badly off-form, were no match against the tall americans and were behind by 13 points, 27-14. But the Olympians got going in the last three minutes of the first half. Kurt Bachmann, Edgardo Ocampo, Constantino Ortiz and Eduardo Pacheco sparked the rally to reduce the visitors lead to only four, 30-34. However, Tom Thacker and Tony Yates broke loose to give the Bearcats a seven-point command at the turn, 37-30.

Emon74
05-22-2009, 12:43 PM
1989 ABC Junior Championships held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium
Article by: Vincent Santos Talao

"It was a good first win but the boys have to play better" said RP coach Edmundo Badolato after the nationals overpowered Singapore, 92-55, we have to improved our defense, specifically our full-court press.
Assuming the RP squad does get better enough to score wins over India and Iran, and sweep the quarter-final round, it will most likely face South Korea, Iraq and the winner of the Malaysia-Saudi Arabia game in Group 2, Iran edged India, 53-52, in a boring game and neither is expected to give the Philippines trouble in Group B of the preliminaries. The koreans blew Indonesia off the court, 101-72, on the same day, but not after being held to a 50-45 halftime score. Korea, which produced such deadshots as Shin dong-pa and Lee Chung-hee, traditionally has had great outside shooters, but can be overpowered inside with strong low-post offense. Players like Danny Francisco, Jun Limpot and Vergel Meneses, will be the key to a win.
On the whole, however, experts tend to pin their hopes on the versatile Johnedel Cardel, who topscored (16) for the Philippines on the first day. Cardel, a veteran of the Asian 17-and-under tournament in Qatar last year, is expected to deliver in clutches. This development will then bring on the ultimate question: Can the Philippines beat Chinese-Taipei in the knockout-semifinals and earn the right to challenge the Great Wall, defending champion China?
Remember, coach Joe Lipa, back in 1986, whipped a two-week old junior team into form enough to bag the silver medal against stiff competition, limited logistics and unpopular sentiments from a number of filipinos at that time. The man is made and so are most of his players then. Members of the 1989 RP Junior Team are now given the task and a chance to make the most of it. The ball is their hands.

*the 10th ABC Youth championships held here in 1989 was one of those I followed closely, we were 5-0 and were avoiding an early confrontation with China in the cross-over semifinals in a must-win situation against Japan, unfortunately we lost, 90-88, on a last second jumper by the japanese player which stunned the hometown crowd at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, I recall how another Japanese player early on committed a dangerous foul on Meneses while Vergel was going for a slam, as expected we lost to China, 80-57 in the cross-over semis and was relegated to third place, avenging our defeat at the hands of Japan, China went on to beat Chinese-Taipei for the Championship.

gameface_one
05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi Emon. Would you want us to create a sub-forum for "Hoops Archives" section under the Hoopedia Forum? If you don't mind, I would like to propose that you become its co-moderator.

Once it is created, you may re-arrange this thread to various other threads such that readers can better view the content based on leagues/teams/ or era.

Pls advise if this is ok with you.

Thanks.

Emon74
05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Emon. Would you want us to create a sub-forum for "Hoops Archives" section under the Hoopedia Forum? If you don't mind, I would like to propose that you become its co-moderator.

Once it is created, you may re-arrange this thread to various other threads such that readers can better view the content based on leagues/teams/ or era.

Pls advise if this is ok with you.

Thanks.

Hello Gameface_one

Yes Sir, I would like to, and its a pleasure for me to become its co-moderator, hopefully I could give more of my share on "hoops Archives" Thanks Again.

Toto Battung
05-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Emon...Congratulations for taking the co-moderator of Hoop Archives. It is important to know the history of our teams and players. It has been my dream, that's why I started " A page from yesteryear" to have our new generation of basketball fans to know more of our history so they can be appreciative of what our players, owners, managers did decades ago to lead us to become the world's number 1 hoops nation. Thanks GameFace and Emon.

gameface_one
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks. May I further propose to make Toto another co-mod for the same sub-forum?

Toto, for your approval pls.

Toto Battung
05-28-2009, 03:39 AM
GameFace_One..... How can you say no, to the game we all love. Yes, sir. By all means I can work with Emon for co-moderator. Thanks for the trust. Toto

Emon74
05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
GameFace_One..... How can you say no, to the game we all love. Yes, sir. By all means I can work with Emon for co-moderator. Thanks for the trust. Toto

Thanks Toto, I look forward to it.

gameface_one
05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Question to Emong and Toto: How do you want the sub-forum to be called and what would be its description?

pepman
05-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Question to Emong and Toto: How do you want the sub-forum to be called and what would be its description?

Can I contribute for the description?

Here's my take: This subforum shows us all the archives and happenings that shaped the Basketball scene here in the Philippines through the years, if you want to relieve all the glory days we once had, let's go into this subforum and enjoy.

gameface_one
05-30-2009, 08:28 PM

Can I contribute for the description?

Here's my take: This subforum shows us all the archives and happenings that shaped the Basketball scene here in the Philippines through the years, if you want to relieve all the glory days we once had, let's go into this subforum and enjoy.

Thanks. Any suggestion about the name?

Toto Battung
05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Gameface_one... I like Pepman's idea. For a name? Hmmm... Hoops Archives is good. Or Bounce Past (like Bounce Pass) or Spheroid Memories. Or maybe other Gameface members have other names. I know we have good, imaginative creators out there. We'll see. Thanks again, Gameface_one.

gameface_one
06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Bounce Past is a good suggestion!

Toto Battung
06-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Gameface_one....Bounce Past is my top of the list. Hope other Gameface members like it too. Emon, your take?

Emon74
06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Gameface_one....Bounce Past is my top of the list. Hope other Gameface members like it too. Emon, your take?

Agreed Toto, I was thinking you may have the better idea on the name itself, I'd take that, Bounce Past, Hoops Archives is also good.

pepman
06-01-2009, 08:21 PM
That would be a good name, excellent!

gameface_one
06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Tot/Emon, feel free to arrange and start new topics. You may also split this thread to cater to specific topics. You may likewise suggest moving other topics from other forums to this sub-forum.

Salamat.

Emon74
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Tot/Emon, feel free to arrange and start new topics. You may also split this thread to cater to specific topics. You may likewise suggest moving other topics from other forums to this sub-forum.

Salamat.

Thanks Sir, I also would like to suggest moving my entry UCAA Retro in the UCAA thread to the Bounce Past Sub-Forums.

Emon74
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Toto, I'd leave it to you to create a thread on a UAAP and NCAA as well as our National Team stories, probably mga articles we'd post will be from 1950s-2000. I couldnt think of a better title on it, kumbaga un something unique.

gameface_one
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM

Salamat.

Thanks Sir, I also would like to suggest moving my entry UCAA Retro in the UCAA thread to the Bounce Past Sub-Forums.

Done as requested.

Toto Battung
06-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Emon...per your request I'll start a thread on UAAP, NCAA and our National teams. I'll think of headings. I'm excited about our directions, lots of ideas are dancing over my head. Thanks again, Gameface_one for starting this project. I hope our fellow members are excited too.

Stardust
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
That would be a good name, excellent!

Mods, my apologies for this OT post, I wish to satisfy my curiosity only.

Pep,

Are you Pepeton Conde? If yes, are you in ADM already not WEFI? If so, congratulation Master Conde, you chose well. Good luck on your studies in HS and college hopefully.

Emon74
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
CAACUP Fires off
August 1991

The vaunted college all-out hoopla spirit, with its unfailingthrills and spills, is no monopoly of good old fronts as the NCAA and UAAP.
The CAACUP, the MUCAA of a few years back, proved this last monday at the Araneta Coliseum as it opened the 1991-1992 season with six excitement-filled hoop encounters.
Chairman Cecil Hechanova of the PSC was the guest of honor with his speech exhorted all the 10,000 students and faculties who came in full force to give their all to the noble objectives of CAACUP as he at the same time focused the crowd's mind to the Manila XVI Southeast Asian Games set this November.
CAACUP has the most member schools numbering 24, furthered bolstered this year with two other additions in Las Pinas and Olivarez Colleges.
The Perpetual Help Saints, last year's defending champions in the men's division, started their 1991 bid with telling force by trouncing PSBA, 98-90. The Saints still boast this season of being the tallest line up in the competitions, and have lost only two members who were in their triumphant campaign the past year.
The Saints' power forward Alex Galitan, center Jun Pagaduan, Agapito Capate, Anselmo Trambulo and their other teammates had PSBA at their mercy the entire length of their match-up.
the lone women's match of the day which pitted '90 champion Lyceum versus De Ocampo was seperately interesting in that it went down the wire.
It was a see-sawing affair three fourths of the way, and then the De Ocampo cagebelles surged ahead, 51-50, on strained aggressive thrusts by Vivian Marquez and Carmelita Manalo, ably assisted by their other playing cohorts on the court.
The rest of the results: 3rd game: UM Jrs downed Las Pinas, 80-73; 4th game: MLQU Srs routed Olivarez, 90-75; 5th game: PUP Srs bested CCP, 92-83; and 6th game: La Salle Srs outlasted Feati, 70-63.

Toto Battung
06-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Stardust...Curiosity is important to nourish, that's what stays with you and keeps you young.
GameFace_one & Emon...I can't think of something unique for our NCAA, UAAP and National Teams thread.
Right now, how about:
NCAA : The Premier League's Archives
UAAP : The Glamour League's Memories
National Teams: It's not the winning, it's the honor stories
Please give me your suggestions and I'll start the thread soon. Thanks.

Emon74
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Stardust...Curiosity is important to nourish, that's what stays with you and keeps you young.
GameFace_one & Emon...I can't think of something unique for our NCAA, UAAP and National Teams thread.
Right now, how about:

I like that, the NCAA and UAAP thread, the National Team, maybe we could ask for more suggestions.

atenean_blooded
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Right now, how about:

I take exception to some of the proposed titles, namely those which refer to the NCAA as the "premier" league and to the UAAP as the "glamour" league.

Inasmuch as we do not want any unnecessary pissing contests or unwarranted and baseless chest-thumping in gameface, I suggest you avoid this sort of characterization.

oca
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
^
Sang-ayon ako. Dahil sa mga unang animnapung taon ng college basketball dito sa atin, ang NCAA ang tinuturing "glamour at premier" na liga.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Huwestyon ko....

NCAA: "A Page from Yesteryear".

UAAP: "A Page from Yesteryear".

Original, di ba!

;)

Stardust
06-04-2009, 10:07 PM
GF1, TB and Emon,

I agree with Oca and AB. Let's not give the supporters of the respective leagues bullets to tease each other. Oca's suggestion is most apt for me. Tutal this is an archive thread, we might as well stick to its original intention.

My two cents worth!

Btw, kudos mga parekoy! You are doing a tremendous job of giving our younger posters a glimpse of how it was back then. As we oldies love to say, "the good old days" ;D

Toto Battung
06-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the input, Atenean_blooded, Oca, and Stardust. A Page from Yesteryear, just like when we started, will be used. Toto

pachador
06-05-2009, 01:17 AM
I have written a very long article on the early history of Philippine basketball from the 1900s to 1969. Gameface already has the first draft. I have not given gameface the final draft together with pics because, i still get emails here and there from the old players which i use to update the final draft. mabagal silang sumulat kasi they r in their 70s or 80s na. anyway, gameface will make a big announcement that is related to this with more details when the time is ripe. I dont want to jump the gun.

I suggest that Gameface can later expand this article to cover the 1970s to the present and go into more details and stats about the 1900s to the 1960s(which i did not dwell on to much) to write a book abouf the history of philippine basketball.

The only attempt to cover the history of philippine basketball is the book on philippine basketball legends by Bocobo and celis ,but its focus is more on the basketball legends rather than the micaa teams, the atmosphere, the schools and their teams, the national teams, the detailed stats.

A more detailed book by gameface in collaboration with the posters/moderators in Bounce past would be a pioneering work that should hopefully inspire our young players including the young Gilas team.

alternatively, the articles posted here can be used as a bounce past weekly or monthly column in gameface/basketbolista's magazine.

or both....., the bouncepast magazine column can be compiled later on into a book.

Emon74
06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I have written a very long article on the early history of Philippine basketball from the 1900s to 1969. Gameface already has the first draft. I have not given gameface the final draft together with pics because, i still get emails here and there from the old players which i use to update the final draft. mabagal silang sumulat kasi they r in their 70s or 80s na. anyway, gameface will make a big announcement that is related to this with more details when the time is ripe. I dont want to jump the gun.

I suggest that Gameface can later expand this article to cover the 1970s to the present and go into more details and stats about the 1900s to the 1960s(which i did not dwell on to much) to write a book abouf the history of philippine basketball.

The only attempt to cover the history of philippine basketball is the book on philippine basketball legends by Bocobo and celis ,but its focus is more on the basketball legends rather than the micaa teams, the atmosphere, the schools and their teams, the national teams, the detailed stats.

A more detailed book by gameface in collaboration with the posters/moderators in Bounce past would be a pioneering work that should hopefully inspire our young players including the young Gilas team.

alternatively, the articles posted here can be used as a bounce past weekly or monthly column in gameface/basketbolista's magazine.

or both....., the bouncepast magazine column can be compiled later on into a book.

Great Job Sir,

Emon74
06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
GF1, TB and Emon,

I agree with Oca and AB. Let's not give the supporters of the respective leagues bullets to tease each other. Oca's suggestion is most apt for me. Tutal this is an archive thread, we might as well stick to its original intention.

My two cents worth!

Btw, kudos mga parekoy! You are doing a tremendous job of giving our younger posters a glimpse of how it was back then. As we oldies love to say, "the good old days" ;D

thanks, ok just like we started, same title as well, "a page from yesteryear"

gameface_one
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Emon/Toto, suggest you already start the threads on the UAAP and NCAA so that we could already start moving the concerned threads from the other forums to your new threads.

Salamat.

Toto Battung
06-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Pachador.....I fully agree with you. I hope we can collaborate and have Gameface publish the first book on the history of Philippine basketball. It would be a tremendous honor to finally come up in book form, the History of Philippine Basketball. We have knowledgeable editors/authors at Gameface, so there's no doubt we can make it happen. Keep that Torch flaming Pachador. We'll do it.

gameface_one
06-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Mods, maybe you can just take out "A Page from Yesteryear" from each thread title since I think it is understood that we will all post "pages from yesteryear" in all threads. Plain NCAA, UAAP, PBA, PBL or PABL will do. Thanks.

pepman
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Mods, maybe you can just take out "A Page from Yesteryear" from each thread title since I think it is understood that we will all post "pages from yesteryear" in all threads. Plain NCAA, UAAP, PBA, PBL or PABL will do. Thanks.

Can I also join the mods? I mean I'm applying?

gameface_one
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM

Can I also join the mods? I mean I'm applying?

Toto/Emon, your view on this pls. Thanks.

Toto Battung
06-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Gameface_one, Emon74 ....I don't see any problem with adding a co-moderator. Yes, Pepman can be a co-moderator.

Toto Battung
06-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Emon74...I like the way you change the topics. Gameface_one was right, we got carried away with A Page from Yesteryear with all our threads. Thanks.

Emon74
06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Lyceum trounces PSBA, 98-89
September 1982

Lyceum scored its sixth victory in eight outings by beating Philippine School of Business Administration, 98-89, to figure in a triple tie for first place, as the elimination round MUCAA basketball ended last Friday at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Meanwhile, Philippine College of Criminology won by default over De Ocampo Memorial College, in the process snatching a slot in the round of four by finishing the elims with a 6 win 2 loss record, which is good for a tie for first place with Lyceum and pacestting Feati U.
National College of Business and Arts, sporting a 5-3 win-loss card, is the other qualifier in the round of four which is scheduled to start on Friday, September 17.
In the Women’s division, the PSBA cagebelles nailed down their fourth straight victory over PCCr belles, 67-63.

September 28, 1987

University of Manila outclassed the defending champion PSBA Jaguars, 102-90, while Feati University turned back Lyceum, 80-76, to earn the right for a winner-take-all title showdown in the Metro Manila Universities and Colleges Athletic Association (MMUCAA) basketball tournament at the Rizal Coliseum.

Emon74
06-17-2009, 11:30 AM
PAUL JORDAN - '82 Interclub Champs!
By: Jericho Pujante, April 1982

Final score was 85-83, in favor of Paul Jordan. To that tune, Paul Jordan, riding high on Angelito Esguerra's 26-point performance and Adonis Tierra's heads-up court-generalship, pulverized the Express Truckers.
Nat Canson, coach of the newly-crowned Interclub basketball champion, gave the credit of the victory to all his players. "they worked hard for it," he said.
The champs: skipper Angelito Esguerra, Federico Lauchengco, Dante Gonzalgo, Anthony Mendoza, Adonis Tierra, Santiago Cabatu, Danilo Acero, Joel Valle, Antonio Cruz, Antonio Azurin, Ferdinand Malaque, Abito Orcullo, Noli Banate and Bernabe Aquino.
Express Truckers, winning the first three games of its encounter with Paul Jordan, 95-89, in the elimination round; 105-104 in the semis; and 89-88 in their first game in the Best-of-Three, looked like it was headed to victory until Esguerra, Lauchengco and Tierra caught fire in the final quarter. PJ took the second game of the best of three, 105-84.
Ramon Samson and James Payne almost controlled the backboard until Anthony Mendoza, PJ's cool and calculating slotman grabbed the winning rebound off Julio Cruz, Esguerra, easily PJ's most outstanding scorer in the championship series, repeated his awesome scoring stance as he finished with 26, connecting at will when the baskets were needed most by Paul Jordan.
But while it was Esguerra who shone in offense, it was the wily Adonis Tierra who put the icing on the game with his talented work at the backcourt and shooting two big baskets for PJ in the crucial minutes of the game.
Gregory Bichara teamed up with Reynaldo Revilloza for Express' last-ditch stand but Esguerra fired two consecutive jumpers that practically sealed the victory for Paul Jordan.
Hector Calma of Masagana 99 was adjudged Most Valuable Player although some quarters believed that, despite the heads-up game of Calma throughout the series, his team placed fourth and the MVP title should not come in a consolation form. Many believe that it should have been Adonis Tierra or Angelito Esguerra who should have won the trophy for being in the champion squad.
LCAC received a trophy as consolation round champion while PMI made it as top team for the sportmanship award. Angelito Esguerra received the huge championship trophy from Interclub president Jimmy Cloma.

**A brief history of the Interclub, The league was formed in 1975 and was conceived to compete with the MICAA, although they say their noble intentions was to help uplift amateur basketball, in 1982, the MICAA failed to stage a tournament which lead to its demise, Paul Jordan, actually has the nucleus of the Crispa team in the MICAA. other teams who participated in the Interclub that year includes Dela Salle, Philippine Maritime Institute, UP, Light Corporation Athletic Club, Concrete Aggregates, Spire Jeans, Pizza Inn, Masagana-Maisagana 99, Rizal Park and Bad Bananas which has movie stars Christoper De leon, Jay Ilagan, Rollie Quizon and Al Tantay in their line-up.

Toto Battung
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Emon74...the Interclub? Can't even remember this league. Was this an open league or just open to club members? How long did this league last. Who were the champions, coaches, players? Thanks.
P.S. I have'nt had the time to do some posting and do some research. I was glued to the NBA Finals between Los Angeles Lakers and the Orlando Magic. The playoffs and the NBA Finals was great this year.

Emon74
06-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Emon74...the Interclub? Can't even remember this league. Was this an open league or just open to club members? How long did this league last. Who were the champions, coaches, players? Thanks.
P.S. I have'nt had the time to do some posting and do some research. I was glued to the NBA Finals between Los Angeles Lakers and the Orlando Magic. The playoffs and the NBA Finals was great this year.

Toto, I believe this league didnt last that long too, but there are so many up and coming amateur players, some who made it to the PBA, played on this interclub, Ginebra coach Jong Uichico, played for La Salle in this league, and as I stated, they maybe formed to compete with the MICAA, Concrete Aggregates and Masagana 99 would soon formed their team in the PABL.

pepman
06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Eto ba yung league na kung saan sila Mon Fernandez played for DLSU? May photo kasi na kasama siya eh. Teka, hanapin ko nga.

jkad
06-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I found this blog with pictures of clippings from Manila Times.

http://video48.blogspot.com/search/label/SPORTS%20%2F%20BASKETBALL

untamed
07-05-2009, 01:41 AM
July 1994

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2821/88422530.png (http://img136.imageshack.us/i/88422530.png/)

Emon74
07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Pinoy Cagers hold sway
January 1991

Given two tall players, Filipinos can now hold their own against foreigners in basketball. This long time boast is once again being proven in the ongoing Goyu Cup Invitational basketball championship at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.
Local squads Tecnogas and RFM Swift are currently lording it over the six-team, five-nation international cagefest sponsored by Goyu & Sons, Inc. Tecnogas, composed mostly of former Letran Knights and backstopped by ex-PBA import and long time Philippine resident Daryl Smith and the massive Sean Shelton, is unbeaten after three starts; while the star-studded but hastily assembled Swift quintet, drawing rebounding strength from pinoy behemoths Edward Joseph Feihl and Bonel Balingit, is at second place with a 2-1 record.
The 6-foot-8 Smith and the 6-5 Shelton alongside 6-4 Jolly Escobar give Tecnogas a formidable frontline which it put to good use to thwart Indonesia's Pelita Jaya, 90-76, and Hongkong's Casino Cigaret, 102-95, respectively. Against China's Fuji-YKL, Tecnogas coach Molet Pineda rested Escobar and nearly paid the price as Tecnogas barely beat the long tom artists from Fujian province 105-102, last Tuesday.
The 7-foot Feihl and the 6-9 Balingit alternately patrol the slot for RFM Swift, which practiced but once before the six-day cagefest started. After losing badly, 86-103, to Casino Cigaret in last Saturday's Inaugurals, the hotdogs, powered by Jun Limpot, Vergel Meneses and Johnedel Cardel went to beat Taipei's Makita Power Tools, 111-82, and Pelita Jaya, 118-84, respectively.
If the trend continues, Tecnogas and Swift are likely to contest the championship, with Casino, a team built around six Americans, as the other probable contender.

Emon74
07-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Tecnogas pockets Goyu Cup
January 1991

Forget about the outcome of their first tussle. The way RP Tecnogas beat Hongkong's Casino Cigarets for the first Goyu Cup invitational basketball championship last week can still be rate as a first class upset.
That Tecnogas bested Casino, 102-95, the first time they met hardly hinted of what would happen in last Saturday's thrilling showdown at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. As it turned out, Tecnogas repeated over Casino, 100-95, to sweep the six-team five-nation-field.
But why consider it an upset? Because Casino, already beefed up by four americans, added another devastating import during the finals to further bolster its chances. For a while there, the quintet looked
Capable of lifting Casino to the title. With new import Kevin Graham, a 6-foot-8 banger, teaming up beautifully with 7-foot David Willard, 6-6 high-flyer Anthony Stewart and 6-9 Chad Tucker, Casino stormed to a 38-27 lead, with 7:27 left in the first quarter.
Tecnogas, a hastily-formed team built around former PBA import Daryl Smith and Detroit native Sean Shelton, rallied however, and managed to level the count, 55-all at interval. And it was neither Smith nor the 6-5 Shelton who sparkled Tecnogas comeback but local skywalker Ferdinand Ravena with his acrobatic, gravity-defying drives.
Then in the second half, sniper Justino Pinat and speedster Jerry Gonzales, both former Letran Knights stnadouts, took over as they teamed up to frustrate Casino's numerous tries to pull away. Pinat banged in five triples while Gonzales struck from medium range as the fagged out Americans were unable to put up a decent defense.
Still, with Tucker and Graham alternately scoring from inside, the scores were tied at 93-all with only 2:24 to go. There, the 5-foot-7 Gonzales, a former NCAA MVP, took over. He sneaked in a jumper, stole and then completed a three-point play to tilt the balance in Tecnogas favor. The Americans, visibly affected by the tight calls, lost their composure and were never able to stage a last-ditch rally.
Tecnogas was champion and coach Molet Pineda basked in glory "I just instructed the boys to run and gun at saka higpitan ang zona," said Pineda. "Iyon lang naman ang paraan para talunin ang mga kano." The ploy worked.

jsa
08-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi there.

I was wondering if you ever came across the name Edgar Arceo. He played for the champion San Beda team in 1959.

By way of background, he was my Dad. He passed away in 1983 at the age of 39. I've tried long and hard to know more about his basketball career and found hope when Henry Abes told me about this site.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Maraming salamat.

Toto Battung
08-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Fellow Gameface researchers, i hope we can help JSA get info on his/her Dad, Edgar Arceo who played for San Beda in 1959. Looking forward to positive results. Thanks

Emon74
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi there.

I was wondering if you ever came across the name Edgar Arceo. He played for the champion San Beda team in 1959.

By way of background, he was my Dad. He passed away in 1983 at the age of 39. I've tried long and hard to know more about his basketball career and found hope when Henry Abes told me about this site.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Maraming salamat.

Hello Jsa,

I may have posted already some articles about your dad coz his name sounds familiar, but anyway I'd try to look into it again.

jsa
08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Emon.

Toto Battung
08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
JSA... check the NCAA thread by Emon. Emon posted on Aug.25,2009 about the game between Letran and San Beda. Your dad Edgar Arceo was listed as one of the players of Coach Rius.

jsa
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I enjoyed reading the tidbit. Thanks again.

Emon74
01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Tanduay Triumphs
February 16, 1964

Tanduay advanced into the second round in the North division of the Metro Open Senior tourney by defeating Philippine College of Commerce, 127-54, at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Felix Flores, Loreto Carbonell, Francisco Lagarejos, Oscar Lopez, Felix Trebol and Francis Wilson joined hands for a 93-point output to pace the Distillerymen to a lopsided win.
The Yco Painters made it a day of double celebration for the Elizalde franchise by trouncing Grepalife, 101-81, in the other tilt.

Crispa upends U-Tex, 87-72
February 23, 1964

Crispa erupted in the second half to rout Universal Textiles, 87-72, in the opening of the North Division Metropolitan Open cage series at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Leading by nine points at halftime, 41-32, the Redmanizers, paced by Romeo Diaz, Jaime Mariano, Leonardo del Pilar and Constancio Ortiz, stepped their drive in the final canto to win the lopsided match.
Former national mainstay Npoleon Flores, Charlie Mercado and Eliseo Mangubat powered U-Tex’s production with 14, 12 and 11 points, respectively.
Ysmael Steel manhandled Boie-Padco, 102-63, in another final round encounter. Narciso Bernardo tallied 22 markers to lead four other Admirals with double figures.

Toto Battung
01-28-2010, 06:07 AM
RP beats Bahrain after a brawl

Fukuoka, Japan - Asian Games bronze medalists the Philippines survived a battle of punches and kicks to beat Bahrain, 83-75 at the Asian Men's Basketball Championships on Friday.
Tensions flared with 1.09 seconds left on the clock after Jovito Sese snatched a rebound and was blocked by Ahmad Malalla. The foul play triggered a skirmish with several players brandishing chairs and throwing punches.
The match was resumed several minutes later but neither side appeared eager to score in the dying seconds.
The Philippines, four-time winners in 1960, 1963, 1973 and 1985, finished 11th and Bahrain 12th. AFP 09-04-1999

AnthonyServinio
01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
RP beats Bahrain after a brawl

Fukuoka, Japan - Asian Games bronze medalists the Philippines survived a battle of punches and kicks to beat Bahrain, 83-75 at the Asian Men's Basketball Championships on Friday.
Tensions flared with 1.09 seconds left on the clock after Jovito Sese snatched a rebound and was blocked by Ahmad Malalla. The foul play triggered a skirmish with several players brandishing chairs and throwing punches.
The match was resumed several minutes later but neither side appeared eager to score in the dying seconds.
The Philippines, four-time winners in 1960, 1963, 1973 and 1985, finished 11th and Bahrain 12th. AFP 09-04-1999

Here is the Philippine Team to the 1999 ABC Men's Championship in Japan:

Wynne Arboleda - Laguna Lakers
Vigildo Babilonia - Pasig-Rizal Pirates
Rolly Basilides - Laguna Lakers
Michael Garcia - Laguna Lakers
Donaldo Hontiveros - Cebu Gems
Richard Melencio - Laguna Lakers
Ferdinand Ravena - Pasig-Rizal Pirates
Jovito Sese - Laguna Lakers
Oscar Simon - Laguna Lakers
Melvin Taguines - Laguna Lakers
Alvin Teng - Laguna Lakers

Coach Victor "Rambo" Sanchez - Laguna Lakers

Note: A 12th player, Dale Singson, was not allowed to join the trip by his mother team the Iloilo Megavoltz.

Toto Battung
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Mr. Servinio.. so the Philippine team was represented by the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA) in the 1999 ABC in Japan.

Emon74
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Fading glory in National Open cage tourney
March 1990

The National Seniors basketball championship, once the country's most prestigious tournament, seems destined to oblivion. It drew only seven teams this year, including three unheralded collegiate squads - Metro Manila College, International University and St.Francis of Assisi College.
National inter-collegiate titlist Far Eastern University competed alright, but without starters Victor Pablo, Rolando Cruz, Johnny Abarrientos and Pat Codinera; and carried Wilduck Restaurant as sponsor. The commercial squads, preparing for the coming Philippine Basketball league (PBL), shied away from the tourney with only defending champion Magnolia, Sta.Lucia Realty and Burger City opting to paritcipate.
In fact, the annual event which used to lure at least 20 teams had to be reduced to a single-round affair. Also, the tournament is turning out to be a one-way battle for the commercial teams which have been smothering their collegiate counterparts.
Look at the results of the first playing days at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. In the Inaugurals last Saturday, Sta.Lucia crushed International University, 138-80; Burger City demolished Metro Manila College, 137-83; and Magnolia drubbed Wilduck-FEU, 96-65. Last Monday, Magnolia clobbered St.Francis of Assisi College; MMC subdued International U, 101-92; and Sta.Lucia whipped Wilduck-FEU, 98-87.
Naturally, fans are shying away from the games at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. They want to witness close matches, not ghastly routs.

Magnolia's glory, Sta.Lucia's misery
By Jeffrey Cruz
March 1990

Still no glory, only misery for Sta.Lucia Realty.
For the 5th straight time, Sta.Lucia came within reach but fell short of a championship. Again the Realtors had to settle for runner-up honors. Worst, four of those stingy defeats were dealt by one team - Magnolia.
The Realtors' nightmare recurred last Wednesday when the Ice Cream Makers beat them, 75-68, for the National Seniors basketball crown at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
They must have gotten used to it, for this time, no tears were shed, no blames were said, Funeral silence pervaded the Sta.Lucia dugout. Or maybe they felt it coming. RP Youth shoo-in Marlou Aquino could not be found and missed the game. Without Aquino, the Realtors frontline were battered by Twin Towers Bonel Balingit and Jun Limpot from beginning to end.
For a while, Cris Bade and Wilmer Ong withstood the pounding underneath, but come the last five minutes, Balingit and Limpot reign supreme. They snagged rebounds, blocked shots, clogged the lane, and scored on second shots.
Although Magnolia coach Derek Pumaren cited Limpot and Balingit for their superb performances, he said it was still team play, especially on defense that did it. Sta.Lucia mentor Francis Rodriguez, on the other hand, was strangely quiet after the Ice Cream Makers had completed the six-game sweep of the tournament. He just stared blankly on the wall. Sort of thinking ahead for the next tournament, when they may have to undergo the same ordeal all over again.

Emon74
04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Green Archers hit target
By Clyde Mariano
February 1994

The flowing arrows of the La Salle Green Archers shot down the Falcons of Adamson at the roof of the University of Baguio gym.
The sharp-shooting Green Archers, positioning themselves within striking distance, pierced the hearts of the Falcons Saturday, two days before Valentine's Day, to capture the 1994 National Inter-Collegiate basketball crown before an overflow crowd at the UB gym here in this Pines City of Baguio.
Relying heavily on Antonio Espinosa, Elmer Lago, Glenn Allen Patrimonio, Tyrone Bautista, Alvin Magpantay and Oliver Bunyi, La Salle's deadly crew of scoring machines hammered the hard-luck Adamson squad in their no-tomorrow titular showdown that asserted the Green Archers unquestioned supremacy of the weeklong annual inter-collegiate cagefest.
The score was 94-87 in favor of La Salle. The Green Archers reign as the undisputed kingpin of the national cagefest vacated by University of Manila. The Hawks of coach Loreto Tolentino were ousted by the Falcons, 84-93, where Kenneth Duremdes and Edward Joseph Feihl, in another Mutt and Jeff combination, combined for 53 points that finally ended UM's reign and sent the Falcons into a do-or-die match with PUP for the second final slot.
With Duremdes and Feihl at the firing line, the Falcons, the 1991 champion, eliminated burned out PUP squad, 107-84, to forge a title showdown with La Salle. But Duremdes and Feihl failed to dish out their fiery tandemlike they did against UM and PUP, and Adamson lost to the superior La Salle squad to the big disappointment of coach Hector Hipolito and thousands of Adamson students who cheered hard for them to win back the title they last held in 1991.
Duremdes, the 6-3 heart and soul of Adamson, scored a game-high 33 points but was held scoreless by Bautista and Lago in the final five minutes. Feihl, the 6-11 Adamson slotman, was held a virtual prisoner by the effective double teaming defense of Patrimonio and Bunyi under the shaded area where teammates 6-6 Mark Telan and 6-5 Christopher Javelosa failed to neutralize the Adamson Tower of Power in the early stages of the game.
It was the second time Adamson finished runner-up, Last year, the Falcons also wound-up runner-up to the UST Golden Tigers. For Adamson, it's always been the bridesmaid, but never the bride.

*Are National Inter-Collegiate Championships and National Students basketball crown are one and the same league?

Toto Battung
04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Green Archers hit target
By Clyde Mariano
February 1994

The flowing arrows of the La Salle Green Archers shot down the Falcons of Adamson at the roof of the University of Baguio gym.
The sharp-shooting Green Archers, positioning themselves within striking distance, pierced the hearts of the Falcons Saturday, two days before Valentine’s Day, to capture the 1994 National Inter-Collegiate basketball crown before an overflow crowd at the UB gym here in this Pines City of Baguio.
Relying heavily on Antonio Espinosa, Elmer Lago, Glenn Allen Patrimonio, Tyrone Bautista, Alvin Magpantay and Oliver Bunyi – La Salle’s deadly crew of scoring machines – hammered the hard-luck Adamson squad in their no-tomorrow titular showdown that asserted the Green Archers’ unquestioned supremacy of the weeklong annual inter-collegiate cagefest.
The score was 94-87 in favor of La Salle. The Green Archers reign as the undisputed kingpin of the national cagefest vacated by University of Manila. The Hawks of coach Loreto Tolentino were ousted by the Falcons, 84-93, where Kenneth Duremdes and Edward Joseph Feihl, in another “Mutt and Jeff” combination, combined for 53 points that finally ended UM’s reign and sent the Falcons into a “do-or-die” match with PUP for the second final slot.
With Duremdes and Feihl at the firing line, the Falcons, the 1991 champion, eliminated burned out PUP squad, 107-84, to forge a title showdown with La Salle. But Duremdes and Feihl failed to dish out their fiery tandemlike they did against UM and PUP, and Adamson lost to the superior La Salle squad to the big disappointment of coach Hector Hipolito and thousands of Adamson students who cheered hard for them to win back the title they last held in 1991.
Duremdes, the 6-3 “heart and soul” of Adamson, scored a game-high 33 points but was held scoreless by Bautista and Lago in the final five minutes. Feihl, the 6-11 Adamson slotman, was held a virtual prisoner by the effective double teaming defense of Patrimonio and Bunyi under the shaded area where teammates 6-6 Mark Telan and 6-5 Christopher Javelosa failed to neutralize the Adamson “Tower of Power” in the early stages of the game.
It was the second time Adamson finished runner-up, Last year, the Falcons also wound-up runner-up to the UST Golden Tigers. For Adamson, it’s always been the bridesmaid, but never the bride.

*Are National Inter-Collegiate Championships and National Students basketball crown are one and the same league?

That's a good question Emon74. Hope somebody clarifies your question.

AnthonyServinio
04-27-2010, 09:40 AM

YES, both are one and the same tournament organized by the old Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP) over seven decades.

Despite their removal as the national sports association for basketball, the BAP loyalists continues to stage this tournament every year but managing only to attract lower-tier teams. Due to the their incompetency, the tournament slowly lost its luster over the years.

Toto Battung
04-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks, Anthony.

Toto Battung
09-14-2010, 03:21 AM
KYOIKU beats HEACOCKS

Nagoya, Japan -Sept. 5, 1959 -
The visiting Philippines' Heacocks basketball team lost to Kyoiku ( College of Education), 90-88 before 4,000 fans last saturday night. The Japanese led 43-39 at halftime. It was Heacocks' second loss against three wins over the Japanese college teams in their series thus far in Japan.
Jaime Lucas was the top scorer of the visitors with 31 followed by Carlos Badion with 17 and Mariano Tolentino with 16.
Sunday, the Filipino players will travel to Osaka to play against the Matsushita Electric quintet Sept. 8.

Emon74
12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Ysmael tops Yco, 70-64
Baguio City
May 13, 1963

Ysmael Steel redeemed itself from an earlier defeat when it outclassed YCO, 70-64, at the St. Vincent gymnasium.
The contest was a return match between the two teams after the Redshirts beat the Admirals, 76-66, in their first exhibition game.
Top scorers for Ysmael were Cruz with 16 points and Narciso Bernardo with 14 markers. Engracio Arazas and Kurt Bachmann canned in 12 and 10 points, respectively.
Bobby Littaua sank 17 points to pace the losers while Elias Tolentino and Edgardo Ocampo added 12 and seven points, respectively.

Crispa subdues Boie-Frigidaire
June 11, 1963

Crispa found the going rough but managed to roll back Boie-Frigidaire in the special Independence Day Sports Festival triple-treat at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
Bucking a searing rally by Boie in the final half, the Redmanizers, starring Cris Ramas, Roehl Nadurata and Romeo Diaz, outlasted Peping Yee's charges, 88-77.
In the other games, Yutivo mowed down University of the East, 77-66, while National Open and MICAA champion Ysmael Steel had to overcome a 10-point deficit in the first half before dumping Tanduay Distillery, 83-75.
The three winning quintets received trophies donated by the City Government, sponsor of the two-day festival.

Emon74
03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
An Earlier issue on the possible death of the MICAA
By Pyke Jocson
October 1981

If the plans of the other teams to withdraw push through. Minus Yco and Apcor, the MICAA is colorless, Well, it still has San Miguel, Jag Jeans, Presto, Bax Jeans and Crispa, but without the two giants, Yco and Apcor, what is the MICAA?
The answer would be the Interclub. Project Director for Basketball Danding Cojuangco has big plans for the Interclub. Now is the time to move, to make the tournament bigger in scope, to make it the country's leading amateur basketball tournament.
But first, Cojuangco should have full support of the Interclub officials. Calling the associations' president Jimmy Cloma!

Toto Battung
03-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Emon74...do you know the year the last MICAA tourney was held? Who emerge as champion?

Emon74
03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Emon74...do you know the year the last MICAA tourney was held? Who emerge as champion?

I think APCOR was the last MICAA champion, the league failed to stage a tournament in '82 which probably leads to its death.

Toto Battung
03-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks, Emon74. Did the farm team of Toyota then, Crown Motors ever win a MICAA title?

Emon74
03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
McDonald's NCRAA
December 1997-January 1998

La Salle Green Archers Threatens St.Francis Doves

De La Salle University posted a whooping 94-point lead to demolish newcomer University of Asia and the Pacific and cruised to its fourth straight victory and a share of top spot in Group A even as Olivarez College claimed its first back-to-back triumph in the 5th McDonald's-NCRAA men's basketball tournament.
Six Archers, led by Jeff Castro and former national youth standout Ren-Ren Ritualo turned in double figures to keep their bid for their first ever championship in three years and join defending champion St.Francis of Assisi Doves in a share of the lead in this 19-school meet sponsored by McDonald's, NIKE, Spalding and PowerPage.
The Archers annihilated UA&P, led by 41 points in the first half, 62-21, and scored another 71 points against UA&P's 17 in the second half as they register the most lopsided win by far in the tournament.
Olivarez College kept its flickering hopes alive with a 69-62 come-from-behind victory over winless host FEATI University, registering its second straight win in five games. Its first came following a 77-55 defeat of Lyceum of the Philippines two days ago.
La Salle's sister team, College of St.Benilde, and Colegio de San Lorenzo also scored similar wins in fortifying their quarterfinal chances. St.Benilde defeated New Era University, 60-56, for its third win in five games while San Lorenzo nipped Lyceum, 87-71, for its fourth win also in five matches.
Newcomer International School Manila (ISM) barged into the win column by surprising Philippine Maritime Institute (PMI) with its 59-52 victory in the women's basketball contest.
Regine Salazar topscored with 24 points while Jane Oliveri had 13 for ISM which claimed its first win in three games. Despite its record, ISM is still in contention for the semifinal slot in Group B of the tournament.

Emon74
09-28-2012, 09:25 PM
RP Wins ASEAN schools crown
Manila Bulletin
December 17, 1982

Host country Philippines transformed a championship match into a rout by posting a squashing 116-90 win over defending champion Malaysia yesterday to capture the second ASEAN schools basketball crown at the Rizal Coliseum.
Breaking away from a slow-paced start, the filipinos, through Avelino (Samboy) Lim, Guisseppi Cuison and Gerardo Ramos, ignited a 15-4 barrage that shattered an 8-all tie to surge ahead, 23-12.
The locals padded the lead to 14, 60-46 at halftime, Elmer Latonio then scored three straight baskets to suplement goals scored by Jaime Mariquit, Lim and Cuison to rip the game wide open with several 21-point margins, the last one at 78-57, seven minutes into the second half.

The individual scores:
Philippines (116) - Lim 24, Cuison 22, Ramos 15, Caidic 10, Latonio 10, Ang 10, Mariquit 9, Roque 8, Gonzales 6, Cabatana 3, Espina 0, Salazar 0
Malaysia (90) -

Halftime: 60-46

Emon74
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
1981 National Invitational: Looks like it's gonna be the RP five
By: Pyke F. Jocson
Atlas Sports, May 15, 1981

Make way for the National Invitational basketball tournament!
The tournament, which promised nothing but a quickie before it reeled off at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, has come out with a few surprises to the excitement of not a few basketball fans, the participating teams read like who's who in amateur caging today, plus the presence of imports.

RP Training Team - Jeff Moore, Dennis Still, William Pearson, Steve Lingerfelter, Eddie Joe Chavez, Bruce Collins, Robert Worthy, Ricardo Brown, Joel Banal, Federico Lauchengco, Jose Yango, Manny Victorino, Frankie Lim, Ricky Relosa, Angelito Esguerra and Edgardo Cordero.

San Miguel Beer Grande - Glen Panganiban, Rico Randy, Den Fili, Mike Lopez, Conrad Amba, Rich Pijuan, Ronnie Dasalla, Curk Mivell, Steve Elfar, Robert Lucero, Joe McMurray, Eddie Rivas and Earl Bissen.

Apcor - Ramon Cruz, Arturo Cristobal, Alex Clarino, Rey Lazaro, Conrado Pasco, Federico Israel, Elpidio Villamin, Marte Saldana, Rudy Garcia, Antero Saldana, Zaldy Latoza, Alfredo Amador, Anthony Williams and James Payne.

Barnes - Melvin Martin, Kenneth Yap, Carlos Garcia, Raymundo Obias, Reynaldo Revilloza, Bernie Caparaz, Hector Calma, Julio Cruz, Alx Diaz, Ronald Golding, Eugene Navarette, Vicente Beso, Tom Randall and James Lister.

Clark Air Base Diplomats - line-up not available

The RP Training quintet, in their first major appearance as a team, looms as a strong favorite to romp away with the title.

Emon74
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
APCOR shades YCO by two
March 1980

Apcor brought down Yco, 79-77, to take the first of three games in the playoff for the MICAA title last night at the Araneta Coliseum. skipper Ramon Cruz and Federico Israel brought the financiers to two crucial seven-point leads and then the team survived Chuck Barreiro's one-man offensive in the last minute for the win.
A second win over the defending champions tomorrow will make Apcor the first team in recent years to clinch the crown in its maiden year, "Double effort," said Apcor coach Arturo Valenzona, "We're shooting and defending well, at nakuha pa sa double team," Yco collected 28 points on follow-ups and undergoal shots and routed Apcor on the offensive rebounds, 26-11, but the financiers were shooting better, "Our outside shots did'nt click in the end," said Yco coach Freddie Webb.
Man Diesel also took a one-game lead by defeating Crispa, 100-92, in their own series for third place.

The scores:
First game
Man Diesel (100) - Marquez 20, Sison 16, Banal 15, Relosa 14, Merced 10, Cui 9, C.Garcia 6, Martin 4, Lauchengco 4, R.Garcia 2, Bayona 0.
Crispa (92) - Cordero 24, Serafica 16, Distrito 14, Banate 9, Kabigting 9, Carpio 9, Manalaysay 4, Orcullo 3, Natividad 2, Yee 0, Paez 0.
Halftime: 56-48

Second game
Apcor (79) - Cruz 27, Israel 13, Lazaro 12, Cristobal 10, N.Guzman 6, Pasco 5, Clarino 4, Dela Cruz 2.
Yco (77) - Loyzaga 17, Payne 12, Lim 12, Yango 10, Barreiro 8, Tan 6, Herrera 6, Robles 4, Lucido 2.
Halftime: 37-38

Emon74
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
It's Masagana, just the same
April 1986

It was an All-Masagana show against the hapless Rizal Athletic Club friday at the sparsely-filled Rizal Memorial Coliseum. The Rice Growers avoided complications and humbled the Rizalians, 101-80, to retain the National Seniors Open basketball tournament title for the third straight year.
A loss would have relegated the Rice Growers to second place with the expected triumph of second running RFM-Swifts against lowly University of Santo Tomas in an earlier game. The game was dedicated to team manager Dominador Panganiban, also the deputy minister for the Ministry of Agriculture. Panganiban, or simply Direk to his peers, was about to bid goodbye to 22 years of public service.
Direk's departure from the ministry was precipitated by the changing of guards in government. And as a consequence. Masagana 99 maybe disbanded.
Direk, who took over the coaching chores from Egay Gomez, got a victory lift from the Rice Growers after the final buzzer sounded, the banners hidden by supporters at ringside was unfurled amidst cheers and thunderous applause. Panganiban stressed the Rice Growers have tremendously helped in the progress of amateur basketball. He sincerely believes that if the new management decides to disband Masagana 99, majority of the Rice Growers will not go jobless.
As expected, the Rice Growers shared Direk's statements, Listen to national player Elmer Reyes. "Mas maganda kung manatili ang team, malayo na rin naman ang narating namin." "This is a great team. We are like brothers here, management has been supporting us right from the start." said Leandro Isaac. George Ella, former court-general of the multi-titled UE Warriors, said the Rice Growers will certainly attain more heights. Panganiban was not surprised by the Rice Growers' responses. "They really love the team, they want the team to stay." Direk said.

Emon74
11-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Jordan shows up Swiss
May 1982

Interclub champion Paul Jordan yesterday nosed out the Milo Swiss Selection, 100-98, in the Milo-Philippine national seniors and invitational basketball championships at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The Jeansmakers, who swept the six-team Group B during the elimination round, trailed the Swiss at the halftime, 43-48 but paced themselves well in the closing minutes to score their first victory in the single round-robin two-in-one final round.
Jordan relied on muscular Dante Gonzalgo who fired a team-high 34 points to lead four other men who also scored in double figures. Angelito Esguerra and American James Payne supported Gonzalgo with 17 and 14 points respectively in the absence of pointguard Federico Lauchengco.

Jordan takes titles
May 1982

Paul Jordan overcame a sluggish start and clobbered Masagana 99, 108-94, to capture the national seniors and invitational titles last night at the Rizal Coliseum.
The Jeansmakers triggered a 20-7 barrage at the start of the second period to erase a 55-48 halftime deficit and take a 66-60 lead. After the 99ers cut down the lead to only one, 70-71, Angelito Esguerra, Marty Tierra and Dante Gonzalgo combined for a 20-6 salvo to put the Jeansmakers beyond recall, 91-76, with seven minutes left.
The Jeansmakers' third straight win assured them of three titles in three months although they have yet to meet Arellano University tomorrow. Paul Jordan, Crispa's amateur ballclub, had earlier dethrone Interclub champion La Salle.
Paul Jordan is set to leave next week for Malaysia where it will compete in the Medan invitational tentatively set June 4. "It will be a tough tournament but we'll try our best," said coach Nat Canson.

Emon74
11-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Masagana shocks Crispa, 124-123
(Early 1981?)

Masagana 99 last night, upset Crispa, 124-123, in double overtime for its second straight victory in the semifinal round of the National Seniors basketball tournament at the Rizal Coliseum.
Jeremias Aquino shot the winning points with 53 seconds left as the 99ers moved within a win of clinching a berth in the final round. Aquino's two charities off a foul by Bambi Kabigting gave Masagana a 124-121 lead before Edgardo Cordero drove in with 20 seconds left.
Masagana's sister company, Gulayan, stayed hard with a hard-earned 104-100 win over 365 club while Barnes downed opening day winner Bax Jeans, 71-67.
Sixteen teams divided into four groups are fighting for the eight final slots in this series which saw the return of all candidates to the national team. National students and Interclub champion La Salle, gettting steady help from JB Yango and William Pearson, made an impressive debut as it routed Boogie Jeans, 111-100, in the nightcap.

First game: Gulayan 104 365 club 100
Second game: Barnes 71 Bax Jeans 67
Third game: Masagana 99 124 Crispa 123 Double OT
Fourth game: La Salle 111 Boogie Jeans 100

Emon74
11-05-2014, 05:20 PM
YCO is '77 National Senior's Champ!

"Determination did it, Nobody can beat a team that wants to win." This was how the jubilant coach Ed Ocampo summed up the YCO Painters' performance in bagging this year's National Seniors Crown.
The Painters, who last won the title in 1968, clobbered defending champion San Miguel, 101-96, in a nerve-wracking contest which instantly produced heroes in the youthful Joseph Herrera, Jaime Manansala, Abe Monzon, Totoy Gagan and the unheralded Alex Tan.
In the eliminations, YCO pulverized Masagana, 117-95; Sony Trinity, 94-83; Treena-Bethany, 125-64; and Cosmos, 118-114. In the quarterfinals, it toppled Volkswagen, 93-91; and Villar Recording, 133-111. It bowed to Yanmar, 109-119.
It won all its games in the semis, downing MICAA champion Crown Motors, 108-106; Solid Mills, 106-96; and Manilabank, 92-89. The tourney's top eight teams in order of finish: YCO, San Miguel, Sunrice, Crown Motors, Yanmar, Manilabank, Philippine Air Force and Solid Mills.
The tournament, which got underway on May 31 at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, featured 43 teams, 34 in the men's and nine in the ladies. It had a total of 123 games.

Members of the champion YCO Painters; Jimmy Manansala, Joseph Herrera, Alberto Gagan, Abelardo Monzon, Alex Tan, Gregorio Gozum, Ben Brilliantest, Pablo Ocampo, Nathaniel Castillo, William Johnston, Eliezer Capacio, Ramoncito Bugia, Eric Ilustre and Mateo Kierulf.

Emon74
01-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Sanyo wins President Marcos Cup
July 28, 1980

Sanyo beat Island Metal, 93-89, to clinch the first President Marcos Cup in the basketball championship sponsored by MICABA at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum last monday, July 28.
Relying on the vaunted trio of ex-pros Bien Alenton, Max Baguio and Richard Dela Pena, Sanyo took the lead in the second canto after trailing by as much as seven points. Boyet Santiago of Bicol River Basin, was declared league Most Valuable Player, beating other standouts Bien Alenton of Sanyo and Dennis Carbonilla of Island Metal, who was given the top discovery award.
Edgardo Rivera was named Most Sportsmanlike Player while his team, Bicol River Basin was adjudged Most Sportsmanlike quintet. Island Metal settled for second, New Sampaguita Builders were third. As expected, Boy Mora of Sampaguita was awarded the trophy as the series' top scorer.
Two teams, Gulayan sa Kalusugan and Rizal Park withdrew from the league earlier.

Emon74
01-13-2015, 12:00 PM
How Masagana 99 won senior's crown
April 1985

Many thought the elevation to te pro ranks of Leo Austria, Masagana 99's premier guard, and a couple of other reliable players would mean a blow to the Rice Growers' billing as one of the top amateur teams in the country.
Well, after Masagana's one-sided victory over ESQ Marketing last Sunday at the Rizal Coliseum, which enabled the Rice Growers to keep their National Open Seniors crown, it was proven that the team has really made its marks. There were many factors which contributed to Masagana's easy 90-77 win over the Merchants.
There was the squad's run and gun attack at the outset which ESQ failed to solve. The Rice Growers also excelled in their swarming defense which they used to counteract a full court press employed by ESQ throughout. But the biggest factor of all was Joel Santos, who finally came to his own when it mattered most. The 6"3' center topscored with 20 big points, aside from dominating the rebounds.
Coach Arlene Rodriguez pointed to Santos as the big difference although he added that his charges were able to get off to a good start because they were well-armed for the game. And ESQ coach Joe Lipa could only shake his head after the game saying "it's the most beautiful game of Masagana i've seen, I give it to them. They played very well while we can't seem to do anything right."

Emon74
01-18-2016, 04:24 PM
De La Salle loses to Masagana 99 but bags National Seniors Open championship
May 1983

On the final day of the National Open Invitational basketball championship last Monday, May 2nd, Masagana 99, the defending Interclub champion, won over De La Salle University, 75-71, and tied the Archers and Taiwan's Flying Camels for a 3-win, 2-loss record but lost out in the quotient system. The Masagana team ended as runner-up to La Salle but had the distinction of winning all matches against local teams. La Salle's earlier victory over the Flying Camels proved to be the deciding factor following the BAP ruling that the local team with the best placing in the two-in-one basketball championship wins the National Seniors Open title.
It was a sweet victory for Director Domingo Panganiban as it was Masagana's first victory in three meetings with De La Salle in two years which is under coach Ron Jacobs.

Hang Ten wins the 1983 Philippine National Open and Invitational Championship

The "Hang Ten" Filipino-American team won the National Open and Invitational Championship last Monday, May 2nd, when it defeated Taiwan's Flying Camels, 91-81. The crack team based in San Francisco, California, was composed of two former NBA veterans, a former pro from Finland, and collegiate standouts from California. Originally conceived to be composed of all-Filipino California-based balikbayans, the Hang Ten became a selection of the above-mentioned cagers with only Danny Manalastas, Benjie Pineda, Al Ante, Rollie Quizon and Larry Banagan as the only Filipinos in the team.

Emon74
01-18-2016, 04:24 PM
1983 MUCAA Caging
FEATI U Flies high

Curtains fell on the 1983 edition of the MUCAA cagefest last November 17 as the Hi-Flyers of Feati downed stubborn title contender NCBA, 113-94, for the MUCAA senior crown.
Feati relied heavily on the streak shooting of Aurelio Jalmasco, a rookie, Jalmasco shot a game high 34 points. The 5-11 guard is from Bicol and had a year's stint with Southwestern University before playing for Mama's Love in a Cebu tournament. Feati is coached by Domingo Cruz, former assistant to Lauro Mumar with Meralco, U/tex, 7-Up and Filmanbank. Cruz handed Feati its fourth title in a row.
University of Manila salvaged third place in the senior division after beating PSBA, 100-86. As consolation, University of Manila romped off with the Junior cage crown, PCCR was second, NCBA was third and Feati finished fourth in the high school division. The final placings in the women's bracket: PSBA-champion, PCCR-2nd, Lyceum-3rd, Feati-4th.
The Junior ranks had Paul Alvarez of University of Manila as Rookie of the year, Joey Strait (UM) as MVP. Teofilo Cajucom of PCCR - highest individual score - 53 points and highest average - 27.28
The senior division had Ruel Papa (UM) -Rookie of the year, Aurelio Jalmasco (Feati) -Most Valuable Player. Ruel Papa has the highest average - 27.28, and Jalmasco with the highest individual score - 49 points.

Emon74
09-29-2016, 09:20 PM
BAMBI: 1981 Cebu Open Basketball Champions

Mama's Love Baby Oil, Conpinco Marketing, Detroit Auto Parts Bravura Mufflers, Seiko Quartz, Gaisano, Inc.
These are the familiar names among basketball followers in Cebu. At one time or another, these teams dominated the Cebu amateur basketball leagues, among them the defunct Gullas Cup, the Cebu Industrial Commercial Athletic Association, the Mayor's Cup, the Cebu Amateur Basketball Association and the Cebu Open.
a new name in local basketball is added to that. It is Bambi Vegetal Lard. Bambi, only two years old in the Cebu cage entry, stunned local basketball followers by winning the 1981 Cebu Open Basketball Championship three days after New Year. It was also Bambi's maiden year in the big time.
The University of San Carlos gym was filled to capacity - a record 7,000 fans as Bambi outplayed and outhustled the previously unbeaten Gaisano, 87-71, in the final.
The Vegetable Lard Makers were beefed up by Anthony Mendoza of Crispa, Leoncio Tan and Alfie Almario of National Inter-collegiate champion La Salle, Woodrow Balani of Bax Jeans, 6-5 Renato Soberano of Presto, another 6-5 Kelvin Siao, and John Najarro and Jessie Ramirez, a pair of MICAA hotshots.
Gaisano recruited 6-5 Kenneth Clark, a former teammate of Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy of the Houston Rockets in the NBA, they were also reinforced by Anthony Williams of FEU, and among the other players of Gaisano were one-time RP Youth cager Marcelino Diputado, Reynaldo Ybanez of Presto, Hermogenes Anciado and Rey Perez of Crispa, and Bienvenido Alenton of San Miguel Corporation.
It was Gaisano's only defeat in seven games, having beaten Bambi in the first round, 104-89, for a five game sweep. Bambi had also lost to Island Feed Mills, 83-81. At the start of the championship round, Gaisano crushed former Cebu Mayor's Cup champion Seiko Quartz, 103-87, while Bambi tripped Mama's Love, 88-81, to arrange the title showdown.

Emon74
11-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Three Jaguars: Rey, John and Jojo
July 1983

Colegio de San Jose Recoletos' Jaguars is this year's defending champion of Cebu City's premier basketball league, the CAAA, Cebu's version of the NCAA which starts on July 31st.
One reason for the popular appeal with the sports-loving Cebuanos, besides being the training ground of Cebu's future stars, is the keen competition among the member schools and no one can safely predict the outcome of the tournament.
The schools that are expected to give CSJR a stiff fight are the University of Visayas, the Southwestern University and the Cebu Central College, although the Jaguars remain a slight favorite to retain the title.
The odds tend to favor the Jaguars because they have kept their last year's lineup intact and has acquired a new recruit in Jojo Lastimosa, last year's most outstanding Ateneo Blue Eagle in the UAAP tournament.
The 6-foot, power forward-guard has further gained experience by playing with his brother Danny's team, Smoker's & Drinker's Aid in the recent Mayor's Cup tournament.
The other two, John Burgos, is a 6-feet-3 center who had a brief stint with the San Sebastian College in Manila before returning to Cebu. He has improved his game considerably and with more poundage to his skinny frame, will definitely help him in the slot area. Rey Abarquez is a 6-feet-2 forward, now in his third year as a Jaguar. Rey has developed into a good defensive player who can also be relied upon as a point-maker.
Rey, John and Jojo are also members of the Smoker's & Drinker's Aid team and their training and experiences in commercial competitions should serve them well in their school's campaign to retain the CAAA crown.

Emon74
12-19-2016, 09:04 AM
1980 MICAA Invitationals
Why YCO lost

Yco, the wonder amateur quintet of last year, got booted out by Presto Fun Drinks in a game which decide which team would face Apcor for the championship because of its lack of tall men in the lineup.
Of course, JB Yango is sitll with the team, but he only has Chito Loyzaga for company in providing the slot sense for the squad. James Payne is more of an outside operator. Alex Diaz lacks aggressiveness. Alex Tan, who used to be a defensive cog inside, has changed playing style and is concentrating more on offense with his outside shots.
Yco got clobbered by powerhouse Apcor because the Financiers boast of massive Yoyoy Villamin, Padim Israel, Rad Pasco, Rey Lazaro and Alex Clarino. While the Presto Fun Drinkers are enjoying edge with Joel Banal, the much-improved Manny Victorino, Victor Magpantay and even Renato Soberano, would you believe?
It's really a battle of tall men, and Yco looks frail on this when compared to Apcor and Presto.

1980 Interclub Invitationals

Masagana 99 remains unbeaten and takes the lead in the Interclub Invitational basketball tournament currently on at Rizal Memorial Coliseum.
The 99ers are pacing the race with two victories, toppling defending champion Usiphil (formerly Summa Kumagai) and pre-tourney favorite De La Salle University.
Other teams in the tournament are Technological Institute of the Philippines, Asia Land, Boogie Jeans, Bureau of Customs, Jag Jeans and PMI Colleges.
Four teams will advance into the semis.

Emon74
12-29-2016, 09:34 AM
The "Saints" win 12th PICUAA crown
January 1988

The "Saints" of Perpetual Help College of Manila with Ramon "Cholo" Martin and Team Manager Marianito Tamayo, defeated De La Salle Green Archers, 75-62, to clinch the 12th Philippine Inter-Colleges Universities Athletic Association (PICUAA) 1987-88 basketball season at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum last January 25.
In winning its third PICUAA crown since joining the league in 1982, the Perpetual Help College "Saints" made a clean sweep of all its games.
It was a sweet revenge for the Saints over their tormentor, the Green Archers, who deprieved them of a third consecutive championship last year. The championship series, coming from a sweep of a four team, one round finish, was the third for the Saints, who won their first title in 1984-85 season also under coach Cholo Martin and the 1985-86 crown under coach Boy Ascue.
With its third PICUAA title, the Perpetual Help College team now ranks as one of the winningest in the league.
The 1987-88 PICUAA season ended with the Central Colleges of the Philippines as the runner up to Perpetual Help College, the De La Salle University coming in third and the Polytechnic University of the Philippines in fourth place.
Special mention goes to the following "Saints" who played key roles in bringing the championship to PHC - Allan Borromeo, Ramoncito Hernandez, Enerito Sebial, Dandie Alcayde, Wilmer Garcia, Bay Filoteo, Reiner Polayagan and Luciano Vizcarra.

Emon74
02-02-2017, 06:18 PM
UST Tigers bag National Seniors title
By Graham Lim
May 1996

The University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers, three-peat champions of the UAAP, annexed the first National Seniors championship Chairman's Cup in honor of BAP chairman Gonzalo Puyat to be held in five years last week on a 92-76 conquest of Manuel L. Quezon University-Boysen.
It was a sweet revenge for UST coach Aric del Rosario's boys, who were laced by the Pythons in quarterfinal round of play via a 95-81 decision.
The Tigers, pouncing on a demoralized Pythons in the final two and a half minutes of the game, lengthened away on two mighty dunks by Richard Yee following a controversial call on Rex Manansala's desperate overheard trey while being fouled.
In the playoff for third honors, Angeles University took the measure of an undermanned Las Pinas College five, 81-75.

Emon74
02-17-2017, 07:50 AM
McDonald's NCRAA
December 1997

Philippine School of Business Administration-QC regained the men's title by forfeiture as defending champion St.Francis of Assisi College walked out in the heat of the battle of the 5th McDonald's NCRAA basketball finals at the Astrodome.
The Doves refused to play in the second overtime due to what its officials claimed was "biased" officiating and immediately placed the result under protest.
St.Francis was leading by two points when referee Levi Valenzuela called a tripping foul on Armand Malabanan who was trying to prevent PSBA's Jay Magat from making a desperation three-point shot in an attempt to beat the final buzzer. No walkout was made by the Doves until Magat converted both of his free throws with no more time remaining to level the count, 70-all, and forced the second overtime.