PDA

View Full Version : San Sebastian STAGgering Recruits!

pusongbaste
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Guys naisip ko lang gumawa ng thread tungkol sa mga recruits ng Baste. Since mukang gumanda na ulit ang recruitment ng Baste siguro it's time na rin para gumawa tayo ng ganitong klase ng thread. Let's discuss in this thread all the possible recruits of Baste. Let's discuss all the players that would be a future Stag!* ;) 8)

So sa lahat kindly post any updates tungkol sa recruitment ng Baste! Thanks!* :D

Joescoundrel
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
^ I think the most important recruiting question in everyone's mind is: Are Arvie Bringas and Raffy Gusi moving up to the Stags roster for Season 85? Bringas most especially has been the hot blue chip recruiting topic and was reportedly on his way to Loyola Heights to join former Staglet teammates Eric Salamat and Ryan Buenafe. Apparently that is not a done deal and he may wind up staying put in CM Recto. Gusi has been seen watching many non-Baste games after Season 84 ended with a fourth straight NCAA junior division championship for Baste. He's been seen with recruiters / boosters of a couple of UAAP and NCAA schools.

Without a doubt both Bringas and Gusi could serve as the cornerstones of the Stags' future if and when they come in. Bringas is the multi-skilled forward and Gusi the heady and athletic pointguard.

Speaking of Staglets, Almond Vosotros and Yutien Andrada are another big-small pair whom the Stags need to keep in their pen. Vosotros and Andrada may not be as physically imposing as Bringas-Gusi, but these two bring their own unique skill sets. Vosotros plays both guard positions without missing a beat and is a far better scorer than Gusi, possibly the best scorer in the NCAA junior division outside Keith Agovida. He can slash and shoot and will take it into the gut and in the face of any defense. Andrada, a young 6'6" center, is all arms and legs and is easily bounced about in the lane, but is still all of 6'6" and has plenty of room for physical growth and skills development. He grabs seemingly out-of-reach rebounds and blocks a lot of shots thanks to his long arms and big hands.

If the Stags are able to keep these four in CM Recto they will be competitive for the next three to four years, possibly winning another crown or two before these boys are done.

On the developmental front, there is that Jericho De Guzman boy now on the Fr Martin Open lineup of the Stags. He is a gangling 6'9" or so and needs plenty of work the way a 1967 Rambler needs work, but 6'9" is still 6'9". He is joined on the FMC Open lineup by two very athletic Gabby Espinas-type players in the 6'4" range with multiple skills and incredible speed and footwork. The most impressive one wears Number 13 and is an Espinas clone including the relentless pounding off both boards and the explosiveness into the air.i

untamed
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM
sir the # 13 guy is pascual.

pusongbaste
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I think Baste is not that keen to Raffy Gusi kasi parang hindi siya ganung nababanggit sa recruitment ng Baste. But with Arvie I think Baste is really serious on keeping Arvie. But Arvie is still undecided. Arvie asked Baste to give him until April to decide. But Baste gave him until the end of March.

LION
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Why is SSC not keen on Raffy Gusi considering that even UAAP powerhouses will surely love to have him in their team? Are the current guards of SSC that good? Also, I think that Raymundo and Maconocido have just 1 or 2 playing years left and surely a PG like Gusi will come in handy.

Lemuel M.
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
^ I think the most important recruiting question in everyone's mind is: Are Arvie Bringas and Raffy Gusi moving up to the Stags roster for Season 85? Bringas most especially has been the hot blue chip recruiting topic and was reportedly on his way to Loyola Heights to join former Staglet teammates Eric Salamat and Ryan Buenafe. Apparently that is not a done deal and he may wind up staying put in CM Recto. Gusi has been seen watching many non-Baste games after Season 84 ended with a fourth straight NCAA junior division championship for Baste. He's been seen with recruiters / boosters of a couple of UAAP and NCAA schools.

Without a doubt both Bringas and Gusi could serve as the cornerstones of the Stags' future if and when they come in. Bringas is the multi-skilled forward and Gusi the heady and athletic pointguard.

Speaking of Staglets, Almond Vosotros and Yutien Andrada are another big-small pair whom the Stags need to keep in their pen. Vosotros and Andrada may not be as physically imposing as Bringas-Gusi, but these two bring their own unique skill sets. Vosotros plays both guard positions without missing a beat and is a far better scorer than Gusi, possibly the best scorer in the NCAA junior division outside Keith Agovida. He can slash and shoot and will take it into the gut and in the face of any defense. Andrada, a young 6'6" center, is all arms and legs and is easily bounced about in the lane, but is still all of 6'6" and has plenty of room for physical growth and skills development. He grabs seemingly out-of-reach rebounds and blocks a lot of shots thanks to his long arms and big hands.

If the Stags are able to keep these four in CM Recto they will be competitive for the next three to four years, possibly winning another crown or two before these boys are done.

On the developmental front, there is that Jericho De Guzman boy now on the Fr Martin Open lineup of the Stags. He is a gangling 6'9" or so and needs plenty of work the way a 1967 Rambler needs work, but 6'9" is still 6'9". He is joined on the FMC Open lineup by two very athletic Gabby Espinas-type players in the 6'4" range with multiple skills and incredible speed and footwork. The most impressive one wears Number 13 and is an Espinas clone including the relentless pounding off both boards and the explosiveness into the air.i

De Duzman is 6'11"/7'0" not 6'9".

oca
03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Ang di pagbigay ng pansin kay Gusi ay malaking pagkakamali.

The kid has good perimeter shooting, can drive and has good basketball IQ. As a Staglet, he commits less mistakes than Eric Salamat did when the latter was still playing for your school. The roles of these two are comparable at the Juniors level, mas matapang nga lang si Salamat, pero more calculating si Gusi. In different situations each will have an advantage. Bottom line, parehong magaling.

Nawala sa inyo si Salamat ng ganon na lang, pati ba naman si Gusi?

jpmalpas
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Sayang nga si Gusi kasi may potential talaga ang bata. Kaso In my opinion, mas kelangan ng Stags big man. Siguro kung pwede. Team B nalang muna si Gusi, pag alis nalang ni Pamboy tsaka sya iangat. Yun ay kung makakapaghintay sya. :D

BLUE HORSE
03-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Can somebody correct me if I am wrong but isn't Gusi related to the athletic director of Baste? There may not be the overt courtship because the ace in the hole for Baste is the uncle.

oca
03-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Sa kalakaran ng recruitment ngayon, a relative holding a key position will not deter other schools from making offers. Pag nandyan na yang mga alok na yan, tao lang ang mga iyan para di tanggapin ang pinakamagandang alok.

Kung tahimik man ang Baste dahil pinagpaubaya na nila sa matandang Gusi ang pagpapanatili ng bata sa SSC-R, maging tahimik sila sa madla, pero dapat ipakita nila sa bata yung importansya.

untamed
03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
^^^
i agree the guy has the talent. now that baste is slowly reviving the recruitment prowess i think baste must not only focus on having arvie. imho they must also consider in acquiring former talented staglets like vosotros, gusi, ortuste, andrada & delgado before other teams acquire them. ;)

glock23
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I think Baste is not that keen to Raffy Gusi kasi parang hindi siya ganung nababanggit sa recruitment ng Baste. But with Arvie I think Baste is really serious on keeping Arvie. But Arvie is still undecided. Arvie asked Baste to give him until April to decide. But Baste gave him until the end of March.*

post deleted....

reason: diplomacy

pusongbaste
03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
IMHO kung hindi man masyadong interesado ang Baste kay Raffy Gusi hindi naman ibig sabihin nun na hindi siya binibigyan ng importansya ng Baste. The thing is limited lang ang slots at hindi naman pwedeng lahat e isama sa lineup. Ako rin I believe may talent talaga yung bata pero sa tingin ko kaya hindi siya ganung nababanggit sa recruitment ng Baste e dahil hindi pa talaga kailangan ng Baste ng iba pang PG. Sa ngayon sa tingin ko ok pa naman ang lineup ng Baste sa backcourt positions with Pamboy, Maconocido and Semira. I believe si Pamboy may 2 years pa sya including this year kung hindi ako nagkakamali. And si Maconocido ang alam ko may 3 years pa sya including this year. So fully occupied pa yung backcourt positions in the next 2 years. Kaya siguro sa tingin ko hindi pointguards ang priority ng Baste na irecruit. And another thing ang balita e 4 or 5 players from pampanga ang ilalineup sa season 85. Kaya mahigpit talaga ang labanan ngayon para sa slots ng Stags. Pero malay natin baka kaya tahimik ang pagrecruit sa kanya e dahil pasok na siya sa stags dahil nga sa connection nya sa athletic director ng Baste.

Tanong ko lang ilan ba height ni Raffy Gusi?

christian
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM

Isa lang pare.

LION
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Pilosopo. ;D

pusongbaste
03-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Isa lang pare.

Oo nga! Pilosopo! ;D Sige baguhin ko yung tanong para mas maintindihan ng iba. Ano ba height ni Raffy Gusi?

LION
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
He's about 5'9 and that was when I saw him last year.

pusongbaste
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
He's about* 5'9* and that was when I saw him last year.

5'9? Talaga? Ang sabi sakin nasa 5'6 lang sya. Matangkad din naman pala siya.

Semenelin
03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Mawalang galang na po, pero sa mga sumusunod na staglets, sino po ang gragraduate na Marso:

vosotros
gusi
ortuste
andrada
delgado

Salamat po. hindi ko na sinama si Arvie at alam naman nating pwede na sya madeploy sa kolehiyo for next school year.

jpmalpas
03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Yep, sa ngayon, d muna natin kelangan ng PG. Siguro pwede nalang muna i reserve si Gusi kung makakapaghintay sya, kasi kelangan talaga ng Stags ngayon, big man, pag nanonood ako ng FMC, napapansin ko na kulang ang Stags pag dating sa rebounding. :)

christian
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Pilosopo.* ;D*

Hehehe sorry dude.. can't help it :)

Mana lang sa inyo sir LION...

oca
03-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Isa sa mga dapat tandaan pagdating sa recrutiment----

Pag niligawan at sinuyo mo ang player dahil kailangan mo na, malamang hawak na yan ng iba.

Joescoundrel
03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Mawalang galang na po, pero sa mga sumusunod na staglets, sino po ang gragraduate na Marso:

vosotros
gusi
ortuste
andrada
delgado

Salamat po. hindi ko na sinama si Arvie at alam naman nating pwede na sya madeploy sa kolehiyo for next school year.

I think every one you listed down is done with high school, as is Marco Cam.

San Sebastian should seriously develop two big kids still with the Staglets: Estrada and Mamaril. These two do not just have height and length but some mass as well. These two could stop growing now and are already physically legit college-size players. To my knowledge Estrada is only 15 while Mamaril only 16, which means physically and in terms of basketball development, both of them have a lot of room for growth and improvement. I am especially intrigued by Estrada. I believe by his fourth year in high school he should be close to what Arvie Bringas was in Season 84, plus he is taller and slightly heftier than Bringas.

pusongbaste
03-17-2009, 01:37 PM

vosotros
gusi
ortuste
andrada
delgado

I think every one you listed down is done with high school, as is Marco Cam.

San Sebastian should seriously develop two big kids still with the Staglets: Estrada and Mamaril. These two do not just have height and length but some mass as well. These two could stop growing now and are already physically legit college-size players. To my knowledge Estrada is only 15 while Mamaril only 16, which means physically and in terms of basketball development, both of them have a lot of room for growth and improvement. I am especially intrigued by Estrada. I believe by his fourth year in high school he should be close to what Arvie Bringas was in Season 84, plus he is taller and slightly heftier than Bringas.

I think all of them already used their last year of eligibility to play in the juniors division. But I think one of them, Vosotros is not yet graduating this March. Next year yata siya gagradute.

jpmalpas
03-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Yep, 3rd year palang si Vosotros. :D

shyboy
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
^ Ako din when I was 18, nasa 3rd year... college. ;D

jpmalpas
03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Ganda nung laro ni Aquino sa FMC. Bigman ang kelangan ng Baste ngayon, kulang sa rebounding eh. :D

Wang-Bu
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Hindi nag-marcha nung high school graduation si ARVIE BRINGAS.

Nandun ako gawa ng kasama sa mga graduating ang isang pamangkin ko ng San Sebastian High School. Siguro naman hindi mahirap mamataan ang isang 6'4" na mama sa isang pulutong ng mga high school na bata.

Saan na naman si Bringas?

nardy
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Hindi nag-marcha nung high school graduation si ARVIE BRINGAS.

Nandun ako gawa ng kasama sa mga graduating ang isang pamangkin ko ng San Sebastian High School. Siguro naman hindi mahirap mamataan ang isang 6'4" na mama sa isang pulutong ng mga high school na bata.

Saan na naman si Bringas?

maybe he felt more happy doing shooting practice into the hoops in Taft than being in Recto at that time.

salsa caballero
03-31-2009, 02:12 PM
^ Kung ganun, kakaiba siya kasi napakahalaga ng high school graduation sa buhay ng estudyante. Hindi kaya dahil hindi siya napasama sa graduation list?

jpmalpas
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Pwedeng hindi mag marcha. Eh ang tanong, tinawag ba ang pangalan nya? Kasi kahit hindi mag marcha, tatawagin pa din yung pangalan eh. :D Yun ay kung graduate nya talaga sya. :D

glock23
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Pwedeng hindi mag marcha. Eh ang tanong, tinawag ba ang pangalan nya? Kasi kahit hindi mag marcha, tatawagin pa din yung pangalan eh. :D Yun ay kung graduate nya talaga sya. :D

Hanep! ;)

jpmalpas
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Nakuha ng Stags si Gusi from na galing sa Staglets, maglalaro sya sa Fil Oil Tourney. :)

pusongbaste
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Rumored lineup ng Baste for Filoil:

Pamboy Raymundo
Jimbo Aquino
Anthony Del rio
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Anthony Bringas
John Semira
Gilbert Bulawan
Dave Najorda
Gatchi (Dont know the full name)
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Maconocido
Raffy Gusi
A player from bulacan(name not revealed yet)

Rookies:
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Raffy Gusi
Gatchi
Guy from Bulacan(sinama ko na rin baka makita niyo siya maglaro sa Filoil) ;D

Please give some reviews about the said recruits. Thanks! ;D

nardy
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Nakuha ng Stags si Gusi from na galing sa Staglets, maglalaro sya sa Fil Oil Tourney. :)

teka sino nga pala Athletic Director ng San Sebastian?* *;) :D ;D

nardy
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Pamboy Raymundo
Jimbo Aquino
Anthony Del rio
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Anthony Bringas
John Semira
Gilbert Bulawan
Dave Najorda
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Maconocido
Raffy Gusi

Rookies:
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Raffy Gusi
Gatchi
Guy from Bulacan(sinama ko na rin baka makita niyo siya maglaro sa Filoil)* ;D

Please give some reviews about the said recruits. Thanks!* ;D

WHERE IS THE NAME OF JERICHO DE GUZMAN? WALA BANG BALAK CYANG GAMITIN?

jpmalpas
04-21-2009, 08:36 AM

teka sino nga pala Athletic Director ng San Sebastian?* *;) :D ;D

Si Frank Gusi. :) Kung hindi ako nagkakamali, uncle ni Raffy yun. :D

jpmalpas
04-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Pamboy Raymundo
Jimbo Aquino
Anthony Del rio
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Anthony Bringas
John Semira
Gilbert Bulawan
Dave Najorda
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Maconocido
Raffy Gusi

Rookies:
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Raffy Gusi
Gatchi

WHERE IS THE NAME OF JERICHO DE GUZMAN?* WALA BANG BALAK CYANG GAMITIN?

Nope, hindi po sya magagamit as of now, hindi pa sya ready, masyadong malambot. Anyway, may Sanggalan naman, 6'6 galing sa RP Youth. :D

Schortsanitis
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Let's hope for the best for JDG. The guy is trying hard, couldn't make it to FEU Team A, now is having problems making it to SSC-R's Team A.

jpmalpas
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Napanood ko lang si JDG dun sa game nila against Sta. Monica(nga ba?) sa FMC, tambak na yung kalaban nun kaya sya pinasok. Sobrang lambot. Yung bumabantay sa kanya, halos kasing laki lang ni Bulawan, pero easy easy lang kung itulak sya, hindi sya makapwesto sa ilalim. Mas ok pa si De Leon. Kelangan nyan magpalaki ng katawan, sayang lang height nya. :)

pusongbaste
04-22-2009, 04:32 AM

Pamboy Raymundo
Jimbo Aquino
Anthony Del rio
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Anthony Bringas
John Semira
Gilbert Bulawan
Dave Najorda
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Maconocido
Raffy Gusi

Rookies:
Calvin Abueva
Ronald Pascual
Ian Sangalang
Maiquez
Raffy Gusi
Gatchi

WHERE IS THE NAME OF JERICHO DE GUZMAN?* WALA BANG BALAK CYANG GAMITIN?

Sa ngayon team b lang muna si JDG! Di pa niya kaya makipagsabayan sa NCAA. Siguro sa ngayon training lang muna ang kayang ibigay ng Baste sa kanya. Naghire ang Baste ng personal trainer para mabuildup ang katawan niya. Kaya lang tamad daw ang bata. Tamad magwork out. Hopefully if things work out well baka isama sya sa lineup next year. Pero kung hindi, Baste might release him.

plop
04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Arvie Bringas Played earlier sa DLSU. Pero did he really graduate?or magic made happen by DLSU* your guest probably good as mine>:(

pusongbaste
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
So napangalanan na pala yung guy from Bulacan! Jason Gatchalian! Any insights about this guy? Pati na rin sa ibang mga recruits. Raffy Gusi, Ronald Pascual, Calvin Abueva, Dexter Maiquez, Ian Sanggalang, and Erickson Gatchalian. Pls. give some reviews about them. Describe how they play, height, and position nila. Thanks!

untamed
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
i just heard that staglets pointguard hotshot jerome delgado will be a STAG.

Poging Baste
04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
- Di ba masyado nang crowded sa area na yun - with PAMBOY and MACONOCIDO... What we need is another legit center since we only have IAN in the roster...

THOUGH IT'S GOOD NEWS, ATLEAST THE STAGLETS ARE MOVING UP TO THE SENIORS LEVEL, RATHER THAN WEARING OTHER JERSEY...

GOOD LUCK TO DELGADO... CONTINUE THE WINNING TRADITION... GOD BLESS!!!

untamed
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
- Di ba masyado nang crowded sa area na yun - with PAMBOY and MACONOCIDO... What we need is another legit center since we only have IAN in the roster...

THOUGH IT'S GOOD NEWS, ATLEAST THE STAGLETS ARE MOVING UP TO THE SENIORS LEVEL, RATHER THAN WEARING OTHER JERSEY...

afaik he will be in team b this coming season. pamboy & maco will be out after this season so this will be a good recruit knowing he is our best junior player last season.

bchoter
04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Parang hinde

Derrick_Rose
04-08-2010, 01:48 AM

afaik he will be in team b this coming season. pamboy & maco will be out after this season so this will be a good recruit knowing he is our best junior player last season.

Si Jumao As ang ace player ng juniors ng Baste Last Season. :)

mbt
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Si Jumao As ang ace player ng juniors ng Baste Last Season. :)

ilang taon na ba si Delgado???

nuss
08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Just want to know. Since open secret na pinakyaw ng CSB ang team B ng Baste, who comprise the Team B of Baste now? Thanks.

nuss
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Rey Gorospe looks/sounds familiar. Was he with Adamson before?

christian
08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Yup.

The_Big_Cat
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Is Gino Jumao-as to FEU a done deal? The Mark Magno kid also has potential. 6'3"/6'4" big man. He scored like 20 points over the much taller Ponso Gotladera in game 1 of the Juniors finals.

What happened to Carlo Pangilinan?

untamed
05-05-2011, 03:17 AM
new players:

miranda
balucanag
jumao-as
magno
vitug
antipuesto
ferrer
dela cruz
pagkatipunan

AnthonyServinio
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
IT IS sad to find out that sister school San Sebastian College-Recoletos de Cavite will not be joining the coming NAASCU Season XI. Therefore, is there a possibility that a lot of the Baycats will jump over to the Manila campus?

Last year, point guard Lyle Antipuesto transferred and is already eligible for the coming NCAA season. He was part of the Baycats' back-to-back NAASCU championships in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010.

Joescoundrel
05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Where did forward-center Michael Miranda come from? I don't believe I've seen him in action prior to this summer, even in the Fr Martin Cup...

untamed
06-18-2011, 10:35 PM
jumao-as out
grilli in

Joescoundrel
08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
What happens to this program when Calvin Abueva and Ronald Pascual are done? Those two are rare finds and will be nearly impossible to replace. Perhaps San Sebastian would be best served by looking to Africa for a good big man, someone at least 6'7" and 240 pounds with some skill, even if not necessarily a superstar-type.

maroonmartian
08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.ncaa.org.ph/season87/stats/srs/08222011/g47/final.htm

"The Beast" Abueva finished with 34 points (career high?) and 14 points while his frontcourt partner, the lanky Ian Sangalang had 18 points and 25 REBOUNDS. :o in their 99-63 massacre of the EAC Generals.

Is Sangalang's rebound total a RECORD?

bchoter
08-23-2011, 11:23 AM
^ Dude, this is a "recruits" thread. You may have clicked on the wrong thread

MonL
08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
What happens to this program when Calvin Abueva and Ronald Pascual are done? Those two are rare finds and will be nearly impossible to replace. Perhaps San Sebastian would be best served by looking to Africa for a good big man, someone at least 6'7" and 240 pounds with some skill, even if not necessarily a superstar-type.

Naaah, they wouldn't want to do that, lest they be called hypocrites after throwing that "All-Filipino" dig at us for years ::) . Their Pampanga Pipeline is still open, and they are making inroads at Fil-For sourcing and recruiting.

Joescoundrel
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Ladies and gentlemen Mr Joey Lim just forwarded a revised schedule for the upcoming Fr Martin Cup games. All of them are now posted in the Fr Martin Cup Forum, please check there.

Joescoundrel
09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Sunday October 9 at San Beda - - -

9:00 AM San Sebastian B HS vs Hope Christian HS
10:30 AM Lasalle Greenhills B HS vs King's Montessori HS
12:00 NN Ateneo B vs St Benilde B
1:30 PM San Sebastian B vs UE B
3:00 PM JRU B HS vs San Benildo HS

Joescoundrel
10-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Ateneo Glory B found the range in the fourth period behind Vince Fran, Chris Newsome and Jomar Adornado to turn the tables on St Benilde B 73-70 at the San Beda gym yesterday. Falling behind as much as nine points early in the fourth period, the B Eagles clamped down on defense with Nico Elorde, Miko Sollano, Zach Aquino and Kevin Gamboa then found Fran down low, Adornado at the arc, and Newsome everywhere else in a 17-0 run that turned a 55-62 deficit into a 72-62 bubble. The B Blazers came back behind the three-point shooting of NCAA veterans Jon Argamino and Jun Garcia to come within 72-70 with still 38 seconds left. Head coach Yuri Escueta sued for time, and Newsome split two freethrows with eight second to go for the final count.

Newsome led Glory B with 22 points and six rebounds. Fran added 15 points, all in the second half, plus 10 rebounds. Elorde had 11 points and five assists including a crucial swing pass to Adornado for a breakaway trey.

Glory B will face either UP B or UE B in the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals this weekend, named in honor of the former Glory B coach who was the moving force behind the innovation started only in 2009.

Bart Bartolo led the B Blazers with 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Garcia added 15 points.

UE B for its part edged San Sebastian B 62-58. Falling behind early on, the B Warriors leaned on the three-point shooting of newcomers Nike Montalvo and Jun Pedrito to suddenly pull ahead at 49-39 from a 36-39 deficit. Sam Razon was also brilliant all game long, controlling the boards and the lane.

Razon led UE B with 20 points and 10 rebounds while Montalvo added 14 points.

Former junior division star Raffy Gusi led the B Stags with 11 points while Yser Edora added 10 markers.

Joescoundrel
10-22-2012, 11:16 AM
UE's B Warriors starring Charles Mamie and JM Arafat will be playing against Arellano's B Chiefs led by Fil-Am Dioncee Holt in the semifinals of the Fr Martin Cup Division II.

They will square off this Friday 26 October 9:00 AM at the Trinity University gym along E Rodriguez in Quezon City.

The other semifinal match pits JRU B against San Sebastian B.

Joescoundrel
10-24-2012, 10:45 AM
From Peter Atencio of the Fr Martin media center ___

Games Friday

(Semifinal matches at the Trinity University of Asia)

9 a.m. Hope vs Xavier (jrs)
10:30 a.m. Chiang Kai Shek vs San Beda(jrs)
12 nn UE vs Arellano University (srs)
1:30 p.m. JRU vs San Sebastian (srs)

The Arellano University Chiefs struck hard in the second quarter to upset the defending champion San Beda Red Lions, 89-60, last Sunday to clinch one of the last two semifinal berths in the 10th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup basketball tournament.

Giovanni Jalalon banged in a gamehigh 17 points for the Chiefs, who joined the San Sebastian College-A Stags in the semis when action ended at the Arellano University gymnasium in Legarda, Manila.

The Allan Trinidad-coached Stags, led by Jason Pusiquit and Jaymar Perez with 20 and 13 points, put away Informatics, 63-56, in this cagefest which is supported by Gerry’s Grill.

In the junior division, Hope Christian School drew 13 from from John Apacible and blasted the University of Santo Tomas Tiger Cubs, 105-56, while Kim Lee Bayquin shot 19 points for Chiang Kai Shek-A, which turned back the Jose Rizal University Light Bombers, 72-65.

Hope and CKSC thus earned the top semis slots in Group A and B, and after both swept their seven-game assignments.

Jalalon led a 16-4 uprising for the Eric Gonzales-mentored Chiefs in the start of the second period with his three-point play.

With Austin Allan Fabian and Kinsman Redeemer following up with a triple and a drive, the Chiefs shattered an 18-all first quarter deadlock and went on to grab a 45-25 halftime advantage.

The Chiefs will face the University of the East Warriors in a 12 nn semis showdown on Friday at the Trinity University of Asia gymnasium, while the Chiefs will meet the JRU Heavy Bombers at 1:30 p.m.

Hope and Xavier School will meet in the junior semis earlier at 9 a.m. while Chiang Kai Shek tangles with the San Beda Red Cubs at 10:30 a.m.

The UE Warriors reached the semis after they needed two overtimes to repulse the Technological Institute of the Philippines Engineers, 83-73, Saturday.

The Heavy Bombers, led by Mar Balagtas with 12 points, waylaid the National University Bulldogs, 76-59, for the right to meet the Stags for the other finals seat.

bchoter
10-29-2012, 11:53 AM
The Stags in the FMC cam easily send 5-6 players to their Team A led by steady big man Guinto, raw but with sky is the langit upside and Wang-bu look-a-like Musomethung DSLU discard Perez, Guinto, the high flying trio of Grilla, Perez and Cortez and the hardly used 6'3+ kid who can also sky.

The downside for Grilla is he lets rough plays get to him. He got ejected at the start of the 3rd canto when, while on the bench, he tried to get to a Bomber who gave his teammate a hard foul earning another gatorade-plastic-bottle-whipping from Cabalen Allan. Aruuu mateku! Lol.

Cortez is a poor man's Dylan Ababou, constantly attacking the lane but can pop the jumper if needed. He also comes with a great attitude. Very Ababou in that aspect and also has some of that boy next door charm, even elliciting some giggles from the JRU crowd.

Guinto is, again, impressive with his understated inside game. He plays in control and plays like a veteran. Reminds me of Coach Lawrence's big man during his stint at the UE bench. Just can't recall his name

Wang-bu2 is very long and uses his length together with his uncanny timing to protect the rim. Still has a long way to go pn offense but, with his defense and wang-buesqe looks, he'll go places :D

Perez is the best pick up for Baste. The DLSU discard is UAAP ready and his game is made for the bright lights of Espaņa. He definitely looks good in gold but with black and white trimmings. He'll even love rhe original than the copystag... Go USTeeeeeeee! USTeeeeeeee!USTeeeeeeee!

untamed
10-30-2012, 07:36 AM
The Stags in the FMC cam easily send 5-6 players to their Team A led by steady big man Guinto, raw but with sky is the langit upside and Wang-bu look-a-like Musomethung DSLU discard Perez, Guinto, the high flying trio of Grilla, Perez and Cortez and the hardly used 6'3+ kid who can also sky.

The downside for Grilla is he lets rough plays get to him. He got ejected at the start of the 3rd canto when, while on the bench, he tried to get to a Bomber who gave his teammate a hard foul earning another gatorade-plastic-bottle-whipping from Cabalen Allan. Aruuu mateku! Lol.

Cortez is a poor man's Dylan Ababou, constantly attacking the lane but can pop the jumper if needed. He also comes with a great attitude. Very Ababou in that aspect and also has some of that boy next door charm, even elliciting some giggles from the JRU crowd.

Guinto is, again, impressive with his understated inside game. He plays in control and plays like a veteran. Reminds me of Coach Lawrence's big man during his stint at the UE bench. Just can't recall his name

Wang-bu2 is very long and uses his length together with his uncanny timing to protect the rim. Still has a long way to go pn offense but, with his defense and wang-buesqe looks, he'll go places :D

Perez is the best pick up for Baste. The DLSU discard is UAAP ready and his game is made for the bright lights of Espaņa. He definitely looks good in gold but with black and white trimmings. He'll even love rhe original than the copystag... Go USTeeeeeeee! USTeeeeeeee!USTeeeeeeee!

manong please don't hype up the new breed of stags at baka masilat pa. i heard not yet complete still may hinihintay pang mga recruits. hehehe! btw who is grilla and cortez lol! :p

they placed only 2nd behind ue in the recent fmc.

Sam Miguel
10-30-2012, 10:56 AM
From Peter Atencio:

The University of the East Warriors forced the San Sebastian College-A Stags into four big turnovers to pull off a 77-72 overtime win Monday afternoon, and clinch the senior division crown of the 10th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup.

Six-foot-five American cager Charlies Mammie showed the way with 22 points for the Warriors when action ended at the Trinity University of Asia gymnasium in Quezon City.

Earlier, Hope Christian School drew 20 points from Arjan de la Cruz as they prevailed over Chiang Kai Shek, 68-60, for the junior division title.

Ralph Olivarez, who had 17 points, settled the issue in the last 16.7 seconds for the Warriors, who barged into the finals following a 78-70 beating of the Arellano University Chiefs last Friday.

The 21-year old business management sophomore first scored on a putback off RR de Leon’s miss in the last 16.7 seconds to put the Warriors up by three, 75-72, in the last 16.7 seconds.

Olivarez then cashed in on a traveling error by Gio Vergara with and two charities off Pusiquit’s foul in the last 7.6 seconds to help the Warriors earn the crown with their five-point advantage as time expired.

“Credit goes to the players. They wanted to win the championship,” said team B coach Bai Cristobal, who jointly calls the shots for the squad with Bong Ramos.

Jaymar Perez led the Stags with 24 points, and he put the game into an extra five minutes when he scored off his own miss in the last 17 seconds, 65-all.

The Stags, who made it to the finals with their 73-68 win over the Josen Rizal University, were enjoying a 70-69 edge in the last 3:05.

They lost the momentum when Perez and Vergara gave up the ball twice in succession, Jason Pusiquit missed a shot and Bradwin Guinto fumbled with the ball in the remaining three minutes.

The series of miscues allowed the Warriors to grab the momentum, and move ahead, 73-70, off Cameroonian Mustapha Arafat’s two charities and drive with 51.7 seconds to go.

Guinto tried to keep the Stags in the thick of the fight with his layup in the last 34 seconds, 72-73, but the Warriors found a way to keep their distance 18 seconds later.

The boxscores of the 10th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup finals:

First Game (juniors)

Hope 68 – de la Cruz 20, Galoso 14, Doliguez 11, Apacible 10, Go 7, Villanueva 4, Guion 4, Rubiano 2.

Chiang Kai Shek 60- Gallego 19, Salim 12, Young 10, Tan 7, Jimenez 5, Larin 4, Bayquin 3.

Quarterscores: 16-11, 37-19, 55-41, 68-60.

Second Game (seniors)

UE 77-- Mammie 22, Olivarez 17, Jumao-As 16, de Leon 9, Arafat 8, Dy 2, Jeremy Blake 2.

San Sebastian 72-- Perez 24, de Vera 18, Guinto 7, Vergara 7, Pusiquit 7, Muyang 6, Grilli 1.

Quarterscores: 13-11, 33-21, 49-39, 65-all, 77-72.

Sam Miguel
10-30-2012, 11:14 AM
^^^ Bradwin Guinto is a bigger and more talented and athletic version of UE's Pari Llagas (and didn't Llagas come from San Sebastian Cavite?). Ateneo had been trying to get Guinto as far back as two or three years ago when the family was all still in Australia, but his father has old ties with Turo Valenzona and even then he indicated he's pick Baste if he did come to the Philippine Islands. Guinto looks like a legit 6-foot-5, maybe 6-foot-6, strongly built with broad shoulders and meaty arms. His footwork looks pretty solid and he shows good touch on the freethrows, crashes the boards hard as well.

Leo De Vera, a Fil-Am who looks like he's in the 6-foot-3 to 6-foot-4 range is probably the second-best athlete among the new recruits. He can dunk as easily as stick the medium jumper, can drive and post up with equal ease, might be the most fundamentally sound among the recruits as well. He is a tisoy version of Ford Arao. He had a put-back slam in traffic against the tough Informatics Icons in the semis.

Jaymar Perez came in by way of Lasalle, supposedly one of Danding Cojuangco's favorite provincial players out of Urdaneta, Pangasinan. This kid is a 6-foot-1 swingman who is relentless driving to the basket, can nail jumpers all the way out to the three-point arc and windmill dunk with two hands, cuts up defenses with his dribble-drive.

Larry Muyang looks like a legit 6-foot-5 and could indeed pass of as our resident UE guy Wangbu. Muyang is a classic lean big guy who gobbles up rebounds, gets a block here and there, and has some nifty post moves on his strong hand. He will need to put on at least another 20 meaningful pounds of muscle though since at his height he looks only 180 pounds soaking wet.

Joshua Grilli might be the odd man out here, a 6-foot-4 Fil-Am forward who hasn't figuerd out if he is a perimeter guy or a post guy. He's a solid enough athlete who can get up in the air but often gets double earfuls from Coach Allan Trinidad for being out of position on offense and defense, and not getting back down fast enough on the transition defense. He should probably stay at least another year on the B Stags to define his game.

Lean 5-foot-9 shooting guard Jason Pusiquit and stocky 5-foot-7 pointguard Gino Vergara will be hard pressed to dislodge any of the current NCAA Stags. Pusiquit has funky shotting mechanics and as of now cannot help his side if he isn't connecting from the outside. Vergara isn't quite getting the plays set for the B Stags, quite an indictment since all Allan Trinidad runs are variations of the motion offense and some pick-roll / screen-roll action.

Sam Miguel
10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
From Peter Atencio:

The University of the East Warriors forced the San Sebastian College-A Stags into four big turnovers to pull off a 77-72 overtime win Monday afternoon, and clinch the senior division crown of the 10th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup.

Six-foot-five American cager Charlies Mammie showed the way with 22 points for the Warriors when action ended at the Trinity University of Asia gymnasium in Quezon City.

Earlier, Hope Christian School drew 20 points from Arjan de la Cruz as they prevailed over Chiang Kai Shek, 68-60, for the junior division title.

Ralph Olivarez, who had 17 points, settled the issue in the last 16.7 seconds for the Warriors, who barged into the finals following a 78-70 beating of the Arellano University Chiefs last Friday.

The 21-year old business management sophomore first scored on a putback off RR de Leon’s miss in the last 16.7 seconds to put the Warriors up by three, 75-72, in the last 16.7 seconds.

Olivarez then cashed in on a traveling error by Gio Vergara with and two charities off Pusiquit’s foul in the last 7.6 seconds to help the Warriors earn the crown with their five-point advantage as time expired.

“Credit goes to the players. They wanted to win the championship,” said team B coach Bai Cristobal, who jointly calls the shots for the squad with Bong Ramos.

Jaymar Perez led the Stags with 24 points, and he put the game into an extra five minutes when he scored off his own miss in the last 17 seconds, 65-all.

The Stags, who made it to the finals with their 73-68 win over the Josen Rizal University, were enjoying a 70-69 edge in the last 3:05.

They lost the momentum when Perez and Vergara gave up the ball twice in succession, Jason Pusiquit missed a shot and Bradwin Guinto fumbled with the ball in the remaining three minutes.

The series of miscues allowed the Warriors to grab the momentum, and move ahead, 73-70, off Cameroonian Mustapha Arafat’s two charities and drive with 51.7 seconds to go.

Guinto tried to keep the Stags in the thick of the fight with his layup in the last 34 seconds, 72-73, but the Warriors found a way to keep their distance 18 seconds later.

The boxscores of the 10th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup finals:

First Game (juniors)

Hope 68 – de la Cruz 20, Galoso 14, Doliguez 11, Apacible 10, Go 7, Villanueva 4, Guion 4, Rubiano 2.

Chiang Kai Shek 60- Gallego 19, Salim 12, Young 10, Tan 7, Jimenez 5, Larin 4, Bayquin 3.

Quarterscores: 16-11, 37-19, 55-41, 68-60.

Second Game (seniors)

UE 77-- Mammie 22, Olivarez 17, Jumao-As 16, de Leon 9, Arafat 8, Dy 2, Jeremy Blake 2.

San Sebastian 72-- Perez 24, de Vera 18, Guinto 7, Vergara 7, Pusiquit 7, Muyang 6, Grilli 1.

Quarterscores: 13-11, 33-21, 49-39, 65-all, 77-72.

To my dear friend, Peter: Charles Mamie is not American, he is African, from Cameroon by way of Ghana. And he is at least 6-foot-6.

bchoter
10-30-2012, 03:35 PM
^^^ Bradwin Guinto is a bigger and more talented and athletic version of UE's Pari Llagas (and didn't Llagas come from San Sebastian Cavite?). Ateneo had been trying to get Guinto as far back as two or three years ago when the family was all still in Australia, but his father has old ties with Turo Valenzona and even then he indicated he's pick Baste if he did come to the Philippine Islands. Guinto looks like a legit 6-foot-5, maybe 6-foot-6, strongly built with broad shoulders and meaty arms. His footwork looks pretty solid and he shows good touch on the freethrows, crashes the boards hard as well.

Leo De Vera, a Fil-Am who looks like he's in the 6-foot-3 to 6-foot-4 range is probably the second-best athlete among the new recruits. He can dunk as easily as stick the medium jumper, can drive and post up with equal ease, might be the most fundamentally sound among the recruits as well. He is a tisoy version of Ford Arao. He had a put-back slam in traffic against the tough Informatics Icons in the semis.

Jaymar Perez came in by way of Lasalle, supposedly one of Danding Cojuangco's favorite provincial players out of Urdaneta, Pangasinan. This kid is a 6-foot-1 swingman who is relentless driving to the basket, can nail jumpers all the way out to the three-point arc and windmill dunk with two hands, cuts up defenses with his dribble-drive.

Larry Muyang looks like a legit 6-foot-5 and could indeed pass of as our resident UE guy Wangbu. Muyang is a classic lean big guy who gobbles up rebounds, gets a block here and there, and has some nifty post moves on his strong hand. He will need to put on at least another 20 meaningful pounds of muscle though since at his height he looks only 180 pounds soaking wet.

Joshua Grilli might be the odd man out here, a 6-foot-4 Fil-Am forward who hasn't figuerd out if he is a perimeter guy or a post guy. He's a solid enough athlete who can get up in the air but often gets double earfuls from Coach Allan Trinidad for being out of position on offense and defense, and not getting back down fast enough on the transition defense. He should probably stay at least another year on the B Stags to define his game.

Lean 5-foot-9 shooting guard Jason Pusiquit and stocky 5-foot-7 pointguard Gino Vergara will be hard pressed to dislodge any of the current NCAA Stags. Pusiquit has funky shotting mechanics and as of now cannot help his side if he isn't connecting from the outside. Vergara isn't quite getting the plays set for the B Stags, quite an indictment since all Allan Trinidad runs are variations of the motion offense and some pick-roll / screen-roll action.Spot on as usual, tokayo. Yes, Guinto reminds me of the polished version of Llagas with more size. If he takes on Pari's grit and toughness then he's going to be a force to reckon with as long as his eligibility allows. What happened with Guinto and ADMU? As far as 4 years back I heard he has committed to ADMU.

I was actually refering to De Vera and not Cortez. Second best athlete by with the best attitude. I'd take him over anybody else in this B team. He hardly complains, listens to his coaches, doesn't hesitate to ask questions, relates well with game officials, and jost goes hard each and every time he's on the court. And he's the best cheer leader on the bench. After a bone-headed move, Coach Allan was ready to chew his head off when he immediately aplogized and showed coach what should have done. Parang na shave bigla ang balbas ng cabalen at naging maamo :D.

The game comes to Perez easily. If he has his game on, basketball looks so easy, including acrobatics. Lakay Jaymar, call me maybe :D.

Grilli needs to get his head screwed in the right places. If setting plays were outlawed, this kid will be the next star. But plays and Grilli just can't be mentioned in the same sentence. Perhaps a year in Espana will help him better in defining his game.

untamed
10-31-2012, 02:18 AM

Lean 5-foot-9 shooting guard Jason Pusiquit and stocky 5-foot-7 pointguard Gino Vergara will be hard pressed to dislodge any of the current NCAA Stags. Pusiquit has funky shotting mechanics and as of now cannot help his side if he isn't connecting from the outside. Vergara isn't quite getting the plays set for the B Stags, quite an indictment since all Allan Trinidad runs are variations of the motion offense and some pick-roll / screen-roll action.

very nice write-up sir san mig, you hit it but as they said it will be useless without a pic. so here it goes:

http://s13.postimage.org/5kax8epyv/392192_274436712662565_636077132_n.jpg
team b-ravo together w/ the legend of recruitment.

Joescoundrel
07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Apparently Larry Muyang, the tall kid wearing Number 14 with hsi hand on Turo Valenzona's shoulder, is now with Lyceum. He is a big loss for the Stags.

Lyceum, Benilde in Upset Wins at FMC Div II

27 July 2013

St Placid Gym, San Beda, Manila - The Lyceum Philippines University B Pirates and College of St. Benilde B Blazers came up off with upset wins in the 11th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup basketball tournament.

The Pirates, bannered by 6’7" Cameroonian Victor Ngudjol’s heroics in the dying seconds, waylaid the Ateneo B Eagles, 83-79, to post their second straight win in Group A at the St. Placid gymnasium of the San Beda College-Mendiola campus in Mendiola.

The Blazers, led by Earvin Flores with 29 points, stopped last year’s finalist San Sebastian Stags, 73-71, to catch up with the Pirates.

Allyn Malabanan led the Pirates with 12 points, while Ngudjol delivered 10 points apiece with Jasper Ayaay and Rhoel Maconocido.

Ngudjol came into the picture with the less than 30 seconds left, and scored a layup which shattered a 77-all deadlock. Lyceum was down as much as 70-61 early in the payoff fourth period after going up 53-61 to start the final period.

The Pirates then relied on the split free throws of Malabanan and former San Sebastian aspirant Larry Muyang in the ensuing play to ensure the win.

The Blue Eagles, behind Joma Adornado and Jerie Pingoy with 15 and 11 points, played without one of their two big men, 6’6" Nigerian Chebweezee Ikeh, who was sent out in the third period for goal-tending.

It was a bad day from the referees for the B Eagles. Pingoy was tossed in the third period after incurring two upsortsmanlike fouls. Ateneo's other Nigerian, 6'8" mastodon Sega Ewenike got a monstrous two-handed follow-up dunk but was assessed a technical foul for hanging too long onto the ring.

Bereft of their two big Nigerian imports, the Pirates were able to catch up with the Blue Eagles. Ngudjol, Malabanan, Ayaay and former UE and San Beda aspirant Kinsman Frando all pitched in for the fiery Lyceum windup.

Carlo Young, who had 11 points, scored on a split charity with 1.1 seconds left to carry the Blazers past the Stags.

The win was a follow up of the Blazers’ earlier 83-72 beating of the Arellano University Chiefs.

Joescoundrel
08-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Lasalle B Wins 3rd Straight

B Archers remain unbeaten in FMC Div II

The La Salle Green Archers posted their third straight win and the University of Perpetual Help Altas pulled off an upset in the ongoing 11th Fr. Martin Division 2 Cup basketball tournament.

Benoit Mbala led three other teammates who came up with double-digit performances for the La Salle Green Archers as they brought down the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 81-57,

Melvin Rodriguez scored the winning layup in the last 8.9 seconds to lift the Altas to a 69-68 beating of the San Beda Red Lions.

Mbala shot 17 points, while Alexander Torres, John Boo and Abu Tratter hit 16, 14 and 10 points respectively for the Green Archers, who went on to post their third straight win in in Group B of the senior division.

This put the Green Archers in strong contention for the semifinals, according to commissioner Robert de la Rosa.

The Green Archers turned the tables on the Green Archers, and were ahead at halftime, 25-15, and after trailing, 7-13, in the first quarter.

Rodriguez’s heroics allowed the Altas to have an impressive start in their Group B campaign.

In other matches, the Enderun Titans bounced back from a 58-67, loss to the San Beda Red Lions with a 71-57 stopping of Angeles University Foundation.

In the junior division, the San Sebastian Staglets won over the Letran Squires, 77-73.

John Paul Susemerano shot the winning basket in the last 7.7 seconds for St. Jude, which defeated Joseph Joseph, 64-61.