PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier - The No-Stats All-Star

Mateen Cleaves
02-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Great article from Michael Lewis at the New York Times!

The No-Stats All-Star (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html)

It's a long article, but well worth the read. Excellent insight on how the Houston Rockets use statistics to see beyond the game stats. Not to mention an engrossing illustration of what can make basketball games so much better to watch -- if one can only see the "game within the game" (Kobe vs Battier).

Just an excerpt...

"Seldom are regular-season games in the N.B.A. easy to get worked up for. Yesterday Battier couldn’t tell me whom the team played three days before. (“The Knicks!” he exclaimed a minute later. “We played the Knicks!”) Tonight, though it was a midweek game in the middle of January, was different. Tonight the Rockets were playing the Los Angeles Lakers, and so Battier would guard Kobe Bryant, the player he says is the most capable of humiliating him. Both Battier and the Rockets’ front office were familiar with the story line. “I’m certain that Kobe is ready to just destroy Shane,” Daryl Morey, the Rockets’ general manager, told me. “Because there’s been story after story about how Shane shut Kobe down the last time.” Last time was March 16, 2008, when the Houston Rockets beat the Lakers to win their 22nd game in a row — the second-longest streak in N.B.A. history. The game drew a huge national television audience, which followed Bryant for his 47 miserable minutes: he shot 11 of 33 from the field and scored 24 points. “A lot of people watched,” Morey said. “Everyone *watches Kobe when the Lakers play. And so everyone saw Kobe struggling. And so for the first time they saw what we’d been seeing.” Battier has routinely *guarded the league’s most dangerous offensive players — LeBron James, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce — and has usually managed to render them, if not entirely ineffectual, then a lot less effectual than they normally are. He has done it so quietly that no one really notices what exactly he is up to..."

For the rest of the article, click here (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html).

durden_tyler
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Great read, great article for a good man! Every team should have a Shane Battier on their team.

Mateen Cleaves
02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Tried to think of a PBA player who is or was comparable. Not really a stat-filler, but made teammates better by his presence on the court. probably a defensive stopper also... It might say something about my generation, but the first name that came to mind was Biboy Ravanes. Then, Rey Evangelista. :)

MonL
02-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Chris Jackson would probably come to mind, too. Not Mahmoud, but the local version.

john_paul_manahan
02-21-2009, 06:31 AM
yeah. Rey Evangelista. he might also be the closest thing to Bruce Bowen (minus the dirty tactics)

irateluvmachine
05-20-2009, 12:00 PM
i would consider merwin castelo as a better PBA comparison...defensive stopper who's mostly invisible on the stats sheet.

bchoter
05-21-2009, 01:02 AM
The player closest to me is Rich Alvarez. They both had similar college careers. They were among the top players in college and left with a crown or two. Both are undersized and had to adjust their game in the pros. From high draft picks they became role players. Rich have yet to earn the raves thrown Battier's way but, if he is able to stay healthy far longer than he has been, he should be a good stopper while shooting a few threes along the way.