PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico vs Philippine teams series is a go

pachador
02-15-2009, 01:05 AM
can someone record this and upload to rapidshare ? this is a rare historic game series !!! bihira ito

Puerto Rico a tough foe

Feb 14,2009, manila standard

NATIONAL team coach Yeng Guiao said that his team’s two-game stint against a Puerto Rican club team on Feb. 21 and 24 will be tough because the visitors are a world power in basketball now ranked no. 11 by the international governing body.

The Philippines is at no. 63.

“Even if it’s a club team, it’s going to be a tough team and they are going to have some size so we need to be able to handle size. This should be a pretty good practice game for us,” Guiao noted.

The national team coach spoke to www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports after Thursday’s practice with a depleted lineup at The Arena in San Juan.

He said that was because of the PBA Finals, where at least four players were not able to practice (Willie Miller, Sonny Thoss, Jared Dillinger and Ranidel de Ocampo), aside from two other players who are abroad—Ryan Reyes and JayJay Helterbrand.

Guiao revealed that Kerby Raymundo was having some problems with his schedule, while James Yap also had an out-of-town engagement.

Looking ahead to the games against the Puerto Rican side, Guiao said: “We’ll just have to put something together to be decent.”

The coach indicated they would increase the number of practices from two to three next week.

“The natural chemistry is good. We have the quickness, we have the shooters, the scorers but we are a little small in the middle. Our biggest guy is Asi [Taulava] and I think that is still our biggest problem,” said Guiao, who added he was hoping that “some of that problems can be resolved with the arrival of Japeth [Aguilar] in May. We’ll see. But I am pretty happy with the way the team is looking right now.” Ronnie Nathanielsz

insulares
02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
If plans don't miscarry, the long and short-term RP Teams will both battle the defending champion Capitanes de Arecibo of the Puerto Rican premier league, the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN).

I'd like to share a few paragraphs from Phil Jackson's book "Sacred Hoops" wherein he recounts his experience as a coach in the BSN during the mid-eighties.* Two things that Filipinos don't have a monopoly on are (1) the concept of "Filipino Time", and (2) our so-called basketball craziness.* I guess the crazier the country is, the higher its FIBA ranking.* Which explains our super-sane #63 rank. ;D

Verbatim:

In 1984 the owner of a professional team in Quebradillas, Puerto Rico, offered me a summer job.* The Superior Basketball League, whose three-month season started in June, was considered a good training ground.* Red Holzman, Tex Winter, and John Bach had worked there, and so had many other NBA coaches, including K.C. Jones and Sam Jones.* Three weeks after I arrived, I was fired because the team's superstar didn't like the selfless system of basketball I had implemented.* However, the team owner lined up another spot for me with a far better team, the Isabela Gallitos.* The Gallitos made it to the finals that year - a new high for them - and I returned for three more summers.

Coaching in Puerto Rico taught me how to cope with chaos.* The games were raucous affairs, played late at night in sweltering openair arenas called conchas.* The fans showed up early, often drunk, and started parading around banging bongos and tom-toms and blowing air horns.* Fights often broke out in the stands.* The owner of the Quebradillas team always carried a gun with him to games in Isabela, he said, because there was "a lot of bad blood between the two towns."* Once, the mayor of Quebradillas fired a gun at one of the refs during a home game because he disagreed with a call, and wounded an usher.* For his sentence, he was forbidden from ever attending a game in the Roberto Clemente stadium again.

The players loved the game, and their connection with each other was stronger than on any team I've ever coached.* Players rarely got traded or dumped, and there seemed to be a party every week for members of the extended family.* Not all the players spoke English, and my Spanish consisted of a single word, at first, "Defensa!"* So I had to learn how to teach and communicate nonverbally.* I also had to adapt to the Puerto Rican concept of time.* In Albany I had a rule that if you missed practice, you'd have to sit out the next game.* If I did that in Puerto Rico, we would have to default the whole season.* Once the players were on the floor, however, they threw themselves into the game with unbridled energy.* Sometimes they played in such a frenzy that all I could do was sit back and watch.

...during a game in San German, a town in the southwest ...fans hated the Gallitos so much they lit candles the night before we arrived and prayed for our death.* Just before the game was about to start, someone broke the rim on the baskets, and everybody in the stadium, including about 5,000 fans, had to wait while the rim was being rewelded at the local gas station.

D_I_A
02-15-2009, 08:33 PM
If plans don't miscarry, the long and short-term RP Teams will both battle the defending champion Capitanes de Arecibo of the Puerto Rican premier league, the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN).

I'd like to share a few paragraphs from Phil Jackson's book "Sacred Hoops" wherein he recounts his experience as a coach in the BSN during the mid-eighties.* Two things that Filipinos don't have a monopoly on are (1) the concept of "Filipino Time", and (2) our so-called basketball craziness.* I guess the crazier the country is, the higher its FIBA ranking.* Which explains our super-sane #63 rank. ;D

Verbatim:

In 1984 the owner of a professional team in Quebradillas, Puerto Rico, offered me a summer job.* The Superior Basketball League, whose three-month season started in June, was considered a good training ground.* Red Holzman, Tex Winter, and John Bach had worked there, and so had many other NBA coaches, including K.C. Jones and Sam Jones.* Three weeks after I arrived, I was fired because the team's superstar didn't like the selfless system of basketball I had implemented.* However, the team owner lined up another spot for me with a far better team, the Isabela Gallitos.* The Gallitos made it to the finals that year - a new high for them - and I returned for three more summers.

Coaching in Puerto Rico taught me how to cope with chaos.* The games were raucous affairs, played late at night in sweltering openair arenas called conchas.* The fans showed up early, often drunk, and started parading around banging bongos and tom-toms and blowing air horns.* Fights often broke out in the stands.* The owner of the Quebradillas team always carried a gun with him to games in Isabela, he said, because there was "a lot of bad blood between the two towns."* Once, the mayor of Quebradillas fired a gun at one of the refs during a home game because he disagreed with a call, and wounded an usher.* For his sentence, he was forbidden from ever attending a game in the Roberto Clemente stadium again.

The players loved the game, and their connection with each other was stronger than on any team I've ever coached.* Players rarely got traded or dumped, and there seemed to be a party every week for members of the extended family.* Not all the players spoke English, and my Spanish consisted of a single word, at first, "Defensa!"* So I had to learn how to teach and communicate nonverbally.* I also had to adapt to the Puerto Rican concept of time.* In Albany I had a rule that if you missed practice, you'd have to sit out the next game.* If I did that in Puerto Rico, we would have to default the whole season.* Once the players were on the floor, however, they threw themselves into the game with unbridled energy.* Sometimes they played in such a frenzy that all I could do was sit back and watch.

...during a game in San German, a town in the southwest ...fans hated the Gallitos so much they lit candles the night before we arrived and prayed for our death.* Just before the game was about to start, someone broke the rim on the baskets, and everybody in the stadium, including about 5,000 fans, had to wait while the rim was being rewelded at the local gas station.

Off topic:

hanggang ligang kalye lang kasi ang bakbakan sa atin..pagdating sa commercial and pro leagues medyo pacified na pati ang mga players at crowd.

On topic:

bakit Puerto Rican team lang? sana may iba pa.

nardy
02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
http://insidesports.ph/basketball/guiao-furious-over-cancellation-of-rp-team-games-vs-puerto-rico/

GUIAO FURIOUS OVER CANCELLATION OF RP TEAM GAMES VS PUERTO RICO >:(
Posted on 16 February 2009

Philippine National Team coach Yeng Guiao is furious over the last-minute cancellation of the two-game series against the Puerto Rican champion club team Capitanes de Aracibo scheduled for February 21 and 24.

Guiao was upset over the fact that the all-pro national team had called off a series of games in Qatar for the chance to play the Puerto Rican squad which won the Puerto Rican League’s National Superior Basketball championships in a seven game series last year.

Guiao accused one or two individuals in the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas which arranged the Puerto Rican games of “disrupting our preparations and sabotaging our national team.”

Manila Standard learned that a certain Jennifer Hernandez who handles SBP operations had sent an email to Renato “Botong” Chavez last Friday, February 12 at 5:45 p.m. informing him that the Puerto Rican’s games against the National Team had been called off.

Chavez didn’t receive the email since he was attending the practice of the RP team at The Arena in San Juan despite the fact that it was also his birthday. Chavez is the RP Team liaison officer and operations officer of the PBA.

Top officials of the PBA led by Commissioner Sonny Barrios, executive director Ricky Santos and Media Bureau Chief Willie Marcial were not even given the courtesy of* informed about the cancellation revealing a serious lapse in procedure if not protocol.

In fact during a press conference Monday in Bacolod City where the Annual All Star games will be held, Commissioner Barrios announced the holding of the pocket tournament which would involve the Puerto Rican champions, the Philippine National Team and the national training pool of the SBP under coach Rajo Toroman of Serbia . He was surprised and embarrassed when informed later that the games had been called off.

Sanchez said that when he reported to the PBA office on Monday and called Hernandez to ask about the responsibilities of the pro league for the Puerto Rican games he was informed that the Puerto Rican team was not coming since they apparently refused to pay their roundtrip air fare which Capitanes de Arcibo expected the SBP to shoulder.

There have also been attempts by SBP executive director Noli Eala, the former PBA Commissioner, to recruit Western Kentucky University and former Ateneo center Japeth Aguilar to join the Toroman pool rather than the PBA national team after Guiao had already spoken to Japeth’s father, former PBA player Peter Aguilar.

Aguilar informed us that Japeth was keen on trying out for Guiao’s national team and was ready to enter the PBA Annual Draft following his graduation and return to Manila in May.

CM_Punk
02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
GUIAO FURIOUS OVER CANCELLATION OF RP TEAM GAMES VS PUERTO RICO* *>:(
Posted on 16 February 2009 *

There have also been attempts by SBP executive director Noli Eala, the former PBA Commissioner, to recruit Western Kentucky University and former Ateneo center Japeth Aguilar to join the Toroman pool rather than the PBA national team after Guiao had already spoken to Japeth’s father, former PBA player Peter Aguilar.

Aguilar informed us that Japeth was keen on trying out for Guiao’s national team and was ready to enter the PBA Annual Draft following his graduation and return to Manila in May.

Looks like Japeth is being heavily recruited by both sides to join their respective squads. So, he has two choices (so far)- go straight to the PBA and become the potential #1 pick in the draft and also join Guiao's RP team, or gain international experience and train with the best amateur players under Toroman?* It will be interesting to see what will happen once he returns to the Philippines this summer.

CrossOver
02-17-2009, 12:06 AM
By Nelson Beltran Updated
February 17, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The country’s preparation for the SEABA Championship hit a snag following the cancellation of the RP team’s scheduled miniseries against the SBP developmental squad and a Puerto Rican club team Feb. 21-24.

“We’d been preparing for that. It should have been good practice games for us,” said national team coach Yeng Guiao. “Of course, we can’t do anything if it’s canceled. I’m just disappointed because we’re preparing to go to Qatar on the same date for some games there. We gave it up for the Puerto Rico series.”

The Nationals are competing in the SEABA championship in April in pursuit of a ticket to the FIBA Asia championship in China in August.

With the cancellation of the Puerto Rico games, the Nationals will compete in SEABA without any tuneup games except those in the PBA All-Star Week set right before the Asian qualifier.

To help the RP team in its buildup, the PBA is departing from its usual north versus south format in this year’s All-Star extravaganza. Instead, the league will feature the RP team in three games – against the North All-Stars, the South All-Stars and the North-South combined selection. The three all-star teams will be reinforced by imports.

“Except the All-Stars, we don’t have any game or even scrimmage going to SEABA. That’s why it’s really disappointing,” said Guiao.

“The Puerto Rico series is a big opportunity loss. It’s hard to look for the same opportunity. Talent-wise we can’t get an opponent like the Puerto Rico team. We suffered a double-whammy since we gave up the Qatar trip then we lost the opportunity to play Puerto Rico,” Guiao added.

“This series is set for us by the SBP. We still don’t know what happened. I was just told on the phone that the series is canceled. I don’t even know why.”

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=441033&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

D_I_A
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
All-pro RP team loses one tournament
Tribune
02/17/2009

The all-professional men’s basketball squad will be marching to war without any significant experience, national team head coach Yeng Guiao yesterday revealed.

This developed after the termination of a pocket tournament that could have given the Nationals valuable experience before heading to the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup in April.

Set to start on Feb. 21, the five-day exhibition series was supposed to feature a ragtag squad from Puerto Rico, the Singapore Slingers and, probably, the national developmental pool under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

Guiao said they he was seriously eyeing the tournament to be their launching pad to Seaba, which serves as the gateway to the Fiba-Asia Men’s Championship in September where they will vie for a seat in the 2012 London Olympics.

Initially, he was planning to bring his wards to Qatar for a series of exhibition matches with other Middle Eastern countries like Lebanon and Iran. But since it collides with the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA)-sponsored pocket tournament, he was forced to drop the Qatar joust to grab a rare opportunity of facing taller and stronger foes from the Americas.

And with the surprising decision to scrap it, the Nationals will be forced to march into battle without having any war experience.

“I don’t have any information who and why it was cancelled,” Guiao said in a telephone conversation with the Tribune. “Now, we have no choice but to go to Seaba (in April) without a major test on how to play in the international (competition). I really can’t understand that decision.”

insulares
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM

Iisa na lang nga, nasilat pa.* Bad trip.

Ang akin, magbakbakan na lang yang dalawang RP Team para magkaalaman kung sinong mas magaling.* Para matigil na ang pag-ngangawa ni Guiao...halata namang gumagawa na siya ng advanced excuse pag na-olats ang PBA niya sa FIBA-Asia qualifiers sa Agosto (SEABA lang nga takot na siya eh.. :D)

Halata talaga ang bad blood between PBA and SBP....tsk-tsk...

durden_tyler
02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Bad trip nga. If there is indeed an SBP vs. BAP rift (or deeper that what is seen), MVP should nip it in the bud since he supports both anyway.

As for the Developmental Team vs. the National Team, the PBA backed squad will not learn as much with the amateurs. It's a lose-lose situation for the PBA with minimal training.

nardy
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Iisa na lang nga, nasilat pa.* Bad trip.

Ang akin, magbakbakan na lang yang dalawang RP Team para magkaalaman kung sinong mas magaling.* Para matigil na ang pag-ngangawa ni Guiao...halata namang gumagawa na siya ng advanced excuse pag na-olats ang PBA niya sa FIBA-Asia qualifiers sa Agosto (SEABA lang nga takot na siya eh.. :D)

Halata talaga ang bad blood between PBA and SBP....tsk-tsk...

the bad blood is getting obvious .....we all know Guiao is a big mouth .... but we cannot deny that it was the SBP who set-up the games versus the Puerto Rico team and actually they even mentioned earlier that the Singapore Slingers is part of the tournament which the SBP is organizing. *

Even though the PBA is tasked to form and prepare the 2009 National Team but we must not forget that the SBP is our National Basketball Federation and has duties which they need to do for our National Team. * And at this situation, IMHO the SBP has a lot of explaining to do. * It has been the practice of invitationals all over the world that the organizers shoulder whatever expense connected in getting the teams to play, and the SBP knows that pretty well. * And the SBP is the one who announced it in a press conference that there is this mini-tournament, they should have at least observed protocol and called-up dirrectly either Coach Yeng Guiao or PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios. * There is clearly a breakdown in communication. * Or are the people in the SBP are pretty much out of touch on how things are done internationally, we must not forget the Ekwe fiasco in Indonesia in which the SBP failed to consider seriousness of FIBA rules on country clearances of imports. *

But most importantly, we must not get into the hype on which National Team is much better .... as both those teams are our teams and they represent us. * We might have 2 teams prearing ...... but we must remain united as TEAM PILIPINAS.

CrossOver
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Tama ka sir nardy wag na natin silang pagsabungin pareho naman silang representatvie ng Philippines sa basketball. Sayang lang talaga hayz....

The_Big_Cat
02-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Ang schedule is for Feb 21. So, 4 days pa at baka ma remedyohan pa yan ng SBP.

D_I_A
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM

any news ano ba talaga nangyari?

nardy
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM

"the Puerto Rican team was not coming since they apparently refused to pay their roundtrip air fare which Capitanes de Arcibo expected the SBP to shoulder."

I could not understand this .... being the organizer of an invitational ..... the host usually covers all the related expenses such as the plane fare, hotel accomodation, transportation, food, etc. Somebody in the SBP really made a boo-boo. If they have problems on financing the tourney, they could have asked for help from the PBA, am sure the league and their member teams could share something ..... tsk .... tsk ......

D_I_A
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM

"the Puerto Rican team was not coming since they apparently refused to pay their roundtrip air fare which Capitanes de Arcibo expected the SBP to shoulder."

I could not understand this .... being the organizer of an invitational ..... the host usually covers all the related expenses such as the plane fare, hotel accomodation, transportation, food, etc.* *Somebody in the SBP really made a boo-boo.* * If they have problems on financing the tourney, they could have asked for help from the PBA, am sure the league and their member teams could share something* ..... tsk .... tsk ......

pero di ba may mga instances naman talaga na minsan di na sinasagot ng organizers ang accomodation and airfares?i remember nung Euro tour na RPNT under Coach Jong talagang yung RPMT management pa ang gumastos di ba?

if this is the fault of some people in the SBP, then i guess heads should roll and take the responsibility for this fiasco.

nardy
02-17-2009, 03:39 PM

I could not understand this .... being the organizer of an invitational ..... the host usually covers all the related expenses such as the plane fare, hotel accomodation, transportation, food, etc.* *Somebody in the SBP really made a boo-boo.* * If they have problems on financing the tourney, they could have asked for help from the PBA, am sure the league and their member teams could share something* ..... tsk .... tsk ......

pero di ba may mga instances naman talaga na minsan di na sinasagot ng organizers ang accomodation and airfares?i remember nung Euro tour na RPNT under Coach Jong talagang yung RPMT management pa ang gumastos di ba?

if this is the fault of some people in the SBP, then i guess heads should roll and take the responsibility for this fiasco.

that venture by Jong's team were not invitationals .... we gone there to play exhibition games. Exhibitions and Invitationals are very different things. When we invited the Lithuanian Youth Team and the Chinese National Team B, everything was paid by the organizers. And if they expect the invited team to pay thier own fare , they should have told them upfront and not tell them a few weeks before the tournament itself.

insulares
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
the bad blood is getting obvious .....we all know Guiao is a big mouth .... but we cannot deny that it was the SBP who set-up the games versus the Puerto Rico team and actually they even mentioned earlier that the Singapore Slingers is part of the tournament which the SBP is organizing. *

Even though the PBA is tasked to form and prepare the 2009 National Team but we must not forget that the SBP is our National Basketball Federation and has duties which they need to do for our National Team. * And at this situation, IMHO the SBP has a lot of explaining to do. * It has been the practice of invitationals all over the world that the organizers shoulder whatever expense connected in getting the teams to play, and the SBP knows that pretty well. * And the SBP is the one who announced it in a press conference that there is this mini-tournament, they should have at least observed protocol and called-up dirrectly either Coach Yeng Guiao or PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios. * There is clearly a breakdown in communication. * Or are the people in the SBP are pretty much out of touch on how things are done internationally, we must not forget the Ekwe fiasco in Indonesia in which the SBP failed to consider seriousness of FIBA rules on country clearances of imports. *

But most importantly, we must not get into the hype on which National Team is much better .... as both those teams are our teams and they represent us. * We might have 2 teams prearing ...... but we must remain united as TEAM PILIPINAS.

That's a very fair assessment, Nardy.* Guiao may have a big mouth, but Eala is no slouch in that department either.* If reports are true that only an e-mail to the PBA liaison was sent, then that's pretty bad form (it's reminiscent of Pat Riley faxing his resignation letter to the Knicks....medyo kulang sa "class").* Since mahilig din naman magsalita si Eala, this was an opportune time to pick up the phone and talk to Barrios, Guiao, or that liaison (maski all of the above!).* Alam na nga ng SBP na mainit ang dugo ng PBA sa kanila, bibigyan pa nila ng rason ang mga tao tulad ni Guiao, Nathanielsz, et al na gawin silang punching bag.* The federation should take the lead in making sure everybody's on the same page.

It's bad enough the SBP hyped this event and had the media swallow it hook, line, and sinker (na-plug din ito ni Quinito sa column niya)....what's worse is the fans (and apparently, the PBA NT) are left with nothing but hot air.* Mahangin talaga ang dating at talagang dapat magpaliwanag ang SBP (Eala in particular).* Let's see if they can salvage this situation.

Yes, we must remain united as Team Pilipinas.* My "bakbakan" comment is nothing more than sheer exasperation at the way Guiao mouths off like the loose cannon he really is.* Maaring talagang na-dejado si Guiao sa kapalpakang ito, but for Guiao to insinuate that the SBP is out to "sabotage our NT", sobrang unprofessional yan.* This guy really has a chip on his shoulder...he just can't live down Toroman's hiring and it's really weighing down on his mind.

nardy
02-17-2009, 11:30 PM
actually I see this as an opportunity for the PBA and SBP to sit down and see what are the things that each organization needs to do in order to make this international venture of this PBA-formed team to become successfull.

This 2009 FIBA-Asia gives us the biggest opportunity to go back to the world stage. Even if we do not become the over-all champion ..... I do feel this is the strongest chance for us to get one of the Top 3 places which qualifies to 24-team 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

If recent press releases are true some traditionally strong Asian basketball teams might not make it to Tianjin, China for the FIBA-Asia. According to the Central News Agency, For the Tianjin Asian Championship, home team China and top five finishers in the FIBA Asia Stankovic Cup last year (Jordan, Kazakhstan, Qatar, Kuwait and India) will receive guaranteed seeds. The remaining 10 seeds will be decided according to the subzone qualifiers. Top two teams in each subzone qualifiers get to play in the 16-team Championship. that means the Defending Champion Iran is not even seeded. So winning the previous FIBA-Asia Championship has no more meaning for the next Championship. And of course this also means the Silver Medalists (Lebanon) and Bronze Medalists (South Korea) are also not seeded.

That means with the exception of Host China, the 2 slots for East Asia would be disputed by South Korea, Japan, Chinese-Taipeh, North Korea, Hong Kong, Mongolia and Macau. So that means one of South Korea, Japan and Chinese-Taipeh would not be in Tianjin.

For the WABA, with Jordan already seeded. Disputing for the 2 slots would be Iran, Lebanaon, Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Palestine. That means one of Iran, Lebanon and Syria would be out.

With the 19th Gulf Cup already finished. It is immaterial for Champion Qatar and Runner-up Kuwait as they are already seeded, so I am assuming third place UAE and fourth placer Bahrain would be joining the Tianjin tournament. Host Oman finished Fifth while Saudi Arabia did not participate.

The Middle Asia Qualifyer is very intriguing as Kazakhstan and India are already seeded to the Championship in China. That means the 2 slots would be disputed among Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan as they are the next strongest teams in said subzone. But we still don't know if Bangladesh, Nepal, Maldives, Turkmenistan, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Tajikistan can make do a surprise showing.

I do wish whatever problems that the Guiao and the PBA have with the SBP is that they would have it fixed as soon as possible as this chance for TEAM PILIPINAS is hard to come by and they most work together than fight each other.

I know we are looking forward to Toroman's team but 2011 is still far away. It is 2009, so it is Guiao's team that would soon go to battle and everybody must forget their own egos and self-interest as we Filipinos need to unite in order for us to succeed. This is our TEAM PILIPINAS and we must support it.

nardy
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/templates/businessmirror1.0/images/logo.gif

Cancellation hounds Eala, SBP * * *
Written by Joel Orellana / Reporter* * *
Tuesday, 17 February 2009 21:05

SAMAHANG Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Noli Eala said on Tuesday the SBP should not be blamed for the cancellation of the tune-up games featuring the national teams and a Puerto Rican squad.

At the same time, Eala brushed off criticisms he is sabotaging the preparations of the all-pro Philippine team.

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/Daily_Images/2009/February/02182009/sports-pic03.jpg

The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA)-backed and Yeng Guiao-coached RP squad was invited to participate in the event that was originally set to feature only Smart Gilas, a long-term national pool formed by the SBP, and a Puerto Rican guest team.

The series was scheduled February 21 to 24 but the foreign squad canceled, hoping to get an earlier date that ran in conflict with the Philippine Cup finals between Talk ’N Text and Alaska. Eala said he informed the PBA about it almost two weeks ago.

“The Puerto Rican team wanted an earlier date but we told them the PBA has an ongoing final series,” Eala said. “And we e-mailed the PBA a week-and-a-half about that decision.”

“Sana huwag lagyan ng malice ’yung nangyari,” said Eala. “Anyway, the PBA should be arranging tune-up games for its own national team.”

Guiao was disappointed over the development as he was hoping his team would be able to practice against the competitive Puerto Rican club as part of his team’s preparation for the Southeast Asian Basketball Association Championship in May.

Guiao had actually turned down an invitation from Qatar for a series of games against teams in the Middle East because they knew they can get the same competition against the Puerto Ricans.

“Ngayon, nawala na ’yung Qatar, nawala pa ’yung Puerto Rico. Sayang ang opportunity,” Guiao told the BusinessMirror the other day.

“Sana sinabihan kami nang maaga dahil akala namin plantsado na lahat kaya di na kami pumunta sa Qatar kahit libre lahat.”

But Eala denied that everything was already set for the staging of the miniseries.

“We never said na finalized na. Actually, the series should be between Smart Gilas and the Puerto Rican team lang. We invited the PBA kung gustong sumali ng RP team nila kasi wala silang nilalaruan,” said Eala.

“But due to conflict of schedule, the Puerto Rican decided to call it off, although they say puwede pang ituloy sa ibang date but the SBP should shoulder the airfare and accommodation which we cannot,” Eala added.

According to Eala, the Puerto Rican team initially was willing to pay for its own airfare and the SBP will shoulder the accommodation.

pachador
02-17-2009, 11:59 PM
what i read in the papers was that an SBP liason officer received the confirmation na hindi tuloy but he did not relay the news to Guiao or the PBA. this is really a simple communications matter that should have been fixed right away. if the above was true then that liason officer should be fired because thats his job to be a liason or in other words to communicate or be a go-between groups. his is sleeping on his job.

D_I_A
02-18-2009, 12:15 AM
what i read in the papers was that an SBP liason officer received the confirmation na hindi tuloy but he did not relay the news to Guiao or the PBA. this is really a simple communications matter that should have been fixed right away. if the above was true then that liason officer should be fired because thats his job to be a liason or in other words to communicate or be a go-between groups. his is sleeping on his job.

parang pareho din na may fault eh..di muna na-confirm kung tuloy from the SBP. ayun natamaan ng kidlat si Barrio Kid. and in the part of the SBP, that liason officer should take the blame for it.

Mateen Cleaves
02-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Cancellation hounds Eala, SBP * * *
Written by Joel Orellana / Reporter* * *
Tuesday, 17 February 2009 21:05

SAMAHANG Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Noli Eala said on Tuesday the SBP should not be blamed for the cancellation of the tune-up games featuring the national teams and a Puerto Rican squad.

“Sana huwag lagyan ng malice ’yung nangyari,” said Eala. “Anyway, the PBA should be arranging tune-up games for ITS OWN NATIONAL TEAM.”

Ganoon? So, sino lang ang may karapatan gumamit ng Team Pilipinas -- yung Team PBA o yung Team Smart? ???

joelex
02-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Noli Eala is far worse than Graham Lim. Puro yabang kasi SBP, sila sila naman ngayon ang nagkakaproblema.

easter
02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Parang simpleng miscommunication lang ito bakit pinalaki pa.

Wala nang Puerto Rico at wala nang Qatar. Ano na ngayon ang gagawin? Hindi na ba maghahanap ng ibang paraan at lagi na lang iisipin ang mga nawala?

Schortsanitis
02-20-2009, 05:55 PM
The PBL All-Stars blasted apart the SEA Games competition by an average of 40 points during the last SEA Games. True, at least they probably have lots of practice as a team, but, c'mon, the SEA Games is the SEA Games.

I guess this again just goes to show Yeng Guiao's IGNORANCE to the international game. He doesn't know what he is talking about, and has no idea about the level of competition of even the SEA Games. Practice games? Do it with PBA teams. Or even PBL teams, for gadsake. That should be enough for the SEA Games.

And everybody had such high hopes for him.

D_I_A
02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Noli Eala is far worse than Graham Lim. Puro yabang kasi SBP, sila sila naman ngayon ang nagkakaproblema.

oh come on dude, Eala has more class than the BAP Chinese Mafioso..

in the first place, it seems the PBA is more to be blame on this, if only PBA has prepared earlier than just rely on the SBP this incident could be avoided.

how come former National Mentors Tim Cone, Jong Uichico and Chot Reyes managed to prepare and bring their teams in exhibition games and invitationals in and out of the country? It's becasue Eala, when he was still the PBA commissioner, planned ahead and anticipated things that the RP-NT may face.

that's the difference if you're really not fully focused and just rendering lip service in the country's national basketball program. it's shows with Barrio Kid and the current flamboyant national team coach.

tsk!tsk!tsk!

digitalsuperman
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
hindi naman talaga pang PBA RP Team talaga yung game na yun..nakisabay lang yung PBA dun sa exhibition na game..bakit ba sila nagagalit. in the first place sa PBA dapat yung responsibility nang tune up games nung national team nila..alangan naman SBP pa ang kukulitin nila.. miscommunication naman lang talaga ang puno't dulo nang problemang ito, pinalalake pa tuloy ni yeng..malaki kasi galit nya sa SBP dahil kay toroman... lalo na yung tinabla nung team ni toroman na all amateur ang team ni yeng na all pro..tsk.tsk..kakahiya yun para kay yeng..nasugatan ata pride nya kaya binabato na ang SBP..

easter
02-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Ang problema kasi ng PBA they have to also think about the schedules of players in terms of games and practices with mother teams.

Kaya I think tama lang ang ginawa ng SBP to prepare for the future with Toroman's team fighting for young player's contract. Kasi at least yang mga yan maraming oras mailalagay sa paglaalro sa RP team. Ang problema lang dyan is may commitment din sa mother school ang iba but unlike sa PBA these college leagues don't play the whole year.

kangkong2000
02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Hopefully the SBP will revive the Manila Invitationals Basketball Tournament. The PBA RP Team & SBP Developmental Team may strut their wares against the tough foreign Bball teams. Just similar with Jones Cup & Stankovic Cup.

durden_tyler
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
How quick Eala and SBP forget that THIS is the NATIONAL TEAM 'til '10. Or Eala has conveniently and intentionally did not remember?

D_I_A
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
How quick Eala and SBP forget that THIS is the NATIONAL TEAM 'til '10. Or Eala has conveniently and intentionally did not remember?

How long did the PBA forgot that in terms of commitment to the National team, they're suppose to give their full support and not clout their vested interests at the expense of our country's national basketball program.

nel
02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not so sure that this is a PBA-SBP row, but maybe an Eala-PBA conflict. Eala was forced to leave the PBA after his integrity was shattered by his disbarment for immoral actions. He never got over his unceremonious exit from the PBA, so he does have an axe to grind against the pro league. Whether the cancellation was his fault or not, he only informed the PBA at the last moment, and that in itself is suspicious.

You'd think that after the country's sad experience with the shady characters of the BAP, the SBP would pick those whose integrity is unquestioned to help it run Philippine basketball.

durden_tyler
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM

How long did the PBA forgot that in terms of commitment to the National team, they're suppose to give their full support and not clout their vested interests at the expense of our country's national basketball program.

Give it 'til 2010. Then you will have a point. For now, they are actually doing that.

joelex
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
We just have to admit that all further sacrifices down the road is just a waste of funds, time and effort. For years now the PBA supported the national team but BASKETBALL will never be kind to us internationally. Joaqui Trillo and the Big J know better than most of the narrow minded people who always criticize the PBA for supposed lack of support. Any further action will only be an exercise in futility and we must accept the fact that enjoying this sport can be attained only within the borders of our country (Or in the SEA games if you consider that "achievement") and that is good enough to be a source of enjoying it. For every Gian Chiu and Greg Slaughter we get excited on, China has about 10-20 Yi Jian Lian's. So you going to war with that odds? Think again.

JonarSabilano
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
^ Just for the sake of competition, I'll make a wager with the person behind the "joelex" handle. Let's say a whole case of San Mig Pale Pilsen on me if Toroman's developmental pool (never mind the PBA-sponsored team) does not finish within the Top 3 of the 2011 FIBA-Asia Tournament, redeemable after the tournament ends, barring any other conditions such as acts of God or FIBA suspensions. Any other takers?

D_I_A
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Give it 'til 2010. Then you will have a point. For now, they are actually doing that.

let's think long term not of the short term results. We've been committing the same mistakes ever since. The PBA formula has always been bound to fail. Short Preparations, the PBA Schedule, PBA-first attitude and the like are stumbling blocks that beset our national basketball program with the SBP.

PilipinasFan
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
it's not only coach yeng that is disappointment., all of us are disappointed., who wouldn't be.,

D_I_A
05-02-2009, 03:49 AM
it's not only coach yeng that is disappointment., all of us are disappointed., who wouldn't be.,

it isn't coach yeng fault entirely but being the National Coach, he should have demanded more on the PBA board and Kume Barrio Kid regarding how anachronistic PBA's program for the national team is.

oca
05-02-2009, 08:38 AM

it isn't coach yeng fault entirely but being the National Coach, he should have demanded more on the PBA board and Kume Barrio Kid regarding how anachronistic PBA's program for the national team is.

When the job was offered to him he knows very well kung ano ang kalakaran ng PBA patungkol sa NT. If he thinks he can't work and deliver in that kind of a set up then he should not have accepted the offer to begin with.

pachador
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
the last time our national team tried a new system, in other words, a foreign coach was in the 1980s when we had Ron Jacobs. Now , we have Toroman. if Toroman can work wonders, then, perhaps, the answer all this years was an overhaul of the training of our local coaches together of course with having a long term plan which we also had during Ron Jacobs time....

Schortsanitis
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
If Toroman is, indeed successful with the RP NT, then it will sort of confirm the problem with basketball in this country, and that is the fact that while it is very popular here, it is isolated from the rest of the world.

We sort of just ended up playing amongst ourselves, using coaching techniques and basketball philosophy that is not in step with the rest of the world.

D_I_A
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
If Toroman is, indeed successful with the RP NT, then it will sort of confirm the problem with basketball in this country, and that is the fact that while it is very popular here, it is isolated from the rest of the world.

We sort of just ended up playing amongst ourselves, using coaching techniques and basketball philosophy that is not in step with the rest of the world.

pasikat kasi at pa genius ang alam eh